Speaker 1: Thank you. John.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky and his morning news here at news Radio eight forty whas six oh six here on a Monday morning. As mister Shannon mentioned, it is consecutive's morning news with Nick Coffee, but not just me, obviously, we got a full team here, John Alden running the operation as well as Scott Fitzgerald who's been with us this morning. And we'll have another updated sports of sports coming up around US six twenty five. But I'm not Tony Cruz. As I said earlier, if if we could all be Tony Cruz, we would I'm not going to try to be Tony Cruz because that would be it would just be a waste of time.
Speaker 1: Nobody can do it.
Speaker 2: That's a tough, tough standard to live up to, big shoes to fill, certainly, but you will get with You will get what you've always received each morning here, and that is what you need, your traffic, your weather. I hope to continue to have conversations with the type of folks that have had conversations with the different hosts that have been in this position over many, many many years, willing that they still want to chat with me, which from the conversations I've had those, those chats will still take place, so I'm well that there's gonna be some that tune in and think, who's this guy, who's the new guy, where's Tony? And if you've listened just a little bit, then I think you know that Tony has retired. And if you don't know who the heck I am, I'm not bothered. That does not hurt my ego by any means. I'm well aware that I'm not a name quite like Tony Cruz or the others that are a part of this station, Tony Venetti, Dwight Whitten, the legendary Terry Miners. So I'll hopefully make an impression on you here and you can stick with us and continue to start your morning here. But yeah, I am beyond blessed to be in this position and have this opportunity as I sit here and it's real life, at least I think it is. If not, please don't wake me up, because this doesn't necessarily seem real to be able to say it's Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee. But here we are. And I said this a little bit earlier to start the show. For those who missed it. I don't you don't even have to have any real history and radio is somebody who is a big listener of radio or somebody that has worked in radio to understand what news Radio eight forty whas is, so as somebody who has been able to make radio in my career for a little over ten years now. I mean, obviously I'm well aware of what this is, but going through the last few weeks, as this whole thing kind of came together, it was just a real reminder of the history and the tradition and really just what news Radio eight forty whas. And there's so many people that have spent many, many, many years helping keep this brand and the reputation of the station as to what it is.
Speaker 1: And I'm here to not screw that up.
Speaker 2: But what I've really just reflected on in the last really the last few days is just, you know, the people that have put so much work into maintaining a standard. I mean, we've got a news team. In fact, I've worked with a lot of different folks in our news department over my time here with the company for the last non plus years, and some have left to do other things, some have retired and then we still have some that are that are still here now. I mean guys like Will Clark, who's no longer around, somebody who worked really hard.
Speaker 1: I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I mean Will is somebody that comes to mind, and certainly certainly Paul Miles, who may be the hardest working man in show business, that's what I call him. But those are people that you know, you hear each day they deliver the news. But I don't know if people realize how hard those people work at what they do and how serious they take their job. And it's not because they're super serious people all the time that don't enjoy letting their hair down a little bit, if you will, but they take it serious because they've done a great job throughout their career at maintaining what this is news Radio eight forty whas there's a standard and there's a level of professionalism that does not go unnoticed. So I mean, at least to me, and I hope you guys realize that as well. So I'm again blessed beyond belief. Still doesn't seem real that I'm here. But I said this at the beginning of the show and chatting with John that when it comes to being you know, nervous. I was a little nervous to start the show today. I goofed on the weather that was that was not great, But I'm not really I mean, I'm comfortable being alongside such a great team and joining a great lineup here with Tony and Dwight coming.
Speaker 1: Up after this show.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the legend that is Terry miners in the afternoon, so to be a part of it is something I'm really grateful for and certainly will not take for granted. So thank you all, and again I'll I'm sure you'll learn more about me over the over many mornings to come, and hopefully you'll stick around. All right, We've got traffic and weather coming your way. It is six' ten here At News radio eight forty whas it is six fifteen here At Kentucky This Morning news On news radioaight forty Whas nick coffee with, you AND i want to say congrats to all of those that have recently graduated high. School at his graduation, SEASON i THINK jcps had nearly seven thousand, graduates and a lot of different graduations have been taking place at the fair. GROUNDS i know some schools had theirs At broadben arena over the, weekend and a lot of graduation Parties i'm sure coming, up and when you graduate during that time as a, senior there are a lot of schools THAT i guess a lot of it's not something that the school, leads but there are senior pranks that go on in.
Speaker 1: Schools and MAYBE i just have a bad.
Speaker 2: Memory or MAYBE i you, know maybe we did something THAT i just want to block out of my. Mind BUT i remember senior pranks being a thing WHEN i, graduated and IF i just forgot that we did something, SPECIAL i apologize to my fellow graduates of two thousand and six At North Bullet High. School BUT i don't remember anything good. BAD i don't know if we were just, boring, lame or whatever it. Was BUT i think there's a fine line when it comes to a prank that can be, clever, harmless well, done meaning all in that same. Tier and then you have some that it's more so dependent upon does your principle have a sense of? Humor and then there's some that are clearly not. Pranks it's actually a, crime and a, PRANK i guess can technically be the same. Thing but let me just give you some examples. Here i'll start with with one THAT i think is is IS i guess more so dependent upon your your principal sense of. Humor But john And, scott what do you guys think about? This there is a senior group that decided to hire a mariachi band to randomly pop up and surprise the school principle throughout the.
Speaker 1: Day and he, laughed had fun with. It that's, good. RIGHT i like.
Speaker 2: THAT i, MEAN i think that's that's that's you, know that's maybe he was bothered by. That then then you, know but you probably know if you're going to do something like, that if your principle is going to be in on it or. Not and then you have some that that are clearly just when you vandalize, something, again that's not that's not a it's not a.
Speaker 1: Prank it's.
Speaker 2: Crime like you should expect actually to get in some trouble if you cause some significant damage when it comes to to. Vandalism and this is What i'd not heard of, it but this took, place and it looks like it.
Speaker 1: Was this was In.
Speaker 2: Colorado this was actually a couple of years, ago a school swap. PRANK i don't know how you'd pull this. OFF i don't know how you think that it would be viewed as a. Prank but a group of twenty students got together with another group of twenty students from a different, school and they just decided to go to this opposite. SCHOOL i don't know if they were hoping nobody would, notice but, yeah that ONE i DON'T i, MEAN i guess that's a.
Speaker 3: PRANK i guess do you just take the identity of one of the other, Students, yeah tend to be.
Speaker 1: THEM i, mean all their schedule, around they would have to look, alike, right.
Speaker 4: Crazy the craziest thing we did was we just we spent the night on the lawn and but we also sought out the, approval of course from the. Principle but then the big mistake was we all had finals the next, day and.
Speaker 1: Did they warn you, of, yeah you might want to do this a different.
Speaker 4: Day, yeah we had a government teacher, says by the, Way i'm not moving your.
Speaker 1: Final isn't it?
Speaker 2: Wild how sleeping outside on a lawn before you have to wake up and take a very important test that is very dependent upon your your. ACADEMICS i, mean it sounds like a really silly thing to. Do who would want to sleep outside, Anyway but when you're a teen and it's the senior, prank it's it's that's not how you're how you're looking at.
Speaker 4: It, No and there was always that one person who Brought i'll never forget she brought low and brow, is WHICH i had never heard of lowan brown until that. Day and most people don't even remember what. THAT i have no clue what that. Was a beer back in the, eighties okay and Chili brian too. Beers but everybody thought that was a big. Deal so you're trying amongst we only had a small, class like, you you, know but you're trying to split up two low And brows because everybody it was the thing to.
Speaker 2: Do you were first time and if my mother's, listening, UH i apologize for sharing this on my first day at the at the big. Job BUT i remember the first time somebody brought booze to a social setting when we were, young and you, know we felt like a, Couple we felt like, rebels but yet it was one wine cooler for a party of like thirty. People, man, right, Right that's that's what we.
Speaker 4: Did and we're trying to divvy out two bottles of low and brow.
Speaker 1: To people and it just didn't.
Speaker 4: Work but you wanted to do it because that was the bad thing to.
Speaker 2: Do, Yeah, john you AND i talked about this. Before i'm not taken any any blame here Because john's a lot younger THAN i, am but he went to high school In Bullet, county LIKE i. Did tell, me what was the prank that my alma mater pulled for their senior? Prank that that? WAS i guess you know that you all your school was the victim of so we.
Speaker 3: We had a pet goat or something for our agriculture program and students From North. BULLET i can't remember if it was my senior year or just at some other point during my high school, career but Some North bullet seniors came and took the. GOAT i guess somehow got into. This they stole the. Goat, yeah they took, it put it in the back of a pickup truck and got away for a little bit with.
Speaker 2: It that, ONE i feel like they're lucky that the climate is not was is. Not it was not then what it is, now BECAUSE i can see that not being one that just gets laughed. Off But, anyways it is six Twenty we got another update of trafficking weather coming your, way and also sports With Scott fitzgerald right here on news radio eight FORTY. Whas thank, You. John it is six thirty five here A kentucky at his morning news on new radio eight forty w h As Nick coffee with. You one of the stories there That john mentioned is the change in the sales of THE thhc infuse. Beverages as far as by the, drink it is illegal as of as of Yesterday sunday across The commonwealth because Of Senate bill two oh. Two And i've never had a drink that was infused WITH. Thhc AND i don't say that passing any. Judgment it's just not Something i've really been exposed. To BUT i can see why you would want to regulate. THIS i, mean if not THAT i would not THAT i would. Know AND i don't say that just to you, know try to give you a cover. UP i literally wouldn't. Know but if you were to drink those And i'm sure people don't do, this but, again what DO i know if you're out there ORDERING thhc seltzers as if you're drinking bud. LIGHTS i, MEAN i think it's probably one of those things where you would want to again that seems a little dangerous. Now, also people can buy many bud, lights and you, know you have to just trust and hope that they're going to be on their best. Behavior BUT thhc infused beverages is not SOMETHING i expected to be out there five six years. Ago But i'm also not surprised that it, is given how how popular those kind of products have become for a lot of.
Speaker 4: People you, Know AND i talked to some folks in the bourbon industry and they said they were a little concerned about THE thhc drinks and cutting into you, Know bourbon's been running at a fever pitch right now and more folks are migrating over to THE. Thhc so interesting you said that it's just.
Speaker 2: A different it's a different level or type of. INTOXICATION i would ensue to where for, me you, KNOW i just hear this And i'm, thinking, well there's probably. One they probably want to regulate that industry a little bit better as it's relatively. New BUT i hate to say trial and, error BUT i feel like you really don't know how people will react on average if this ever did become such a normal thing to where people are DRINKING thhc seltzers like they're drinking a high noon or a white. Claw which that, industry the seltzer, industry is one THAT i know a lot of folks at least THAT i, know didn't expect it to take off like it, did but it's it's been been a big success in a big.
Speaker 4: Way, well did they, say like what the equivalent of A thhc?
Speaker 1: Is do they know comparative to, say, like.
Speaker 2: For, example WHAT i THINK i think if If i'm going to drink a couple of of THESE thhc, SELTZERS i would just assume that that would be very similar to me taking one of THE thhc. Gummies, yeah in some, aspect WHICH i feel like if you you, know, again everybody's different and and some are more, responsible some would be mindful of how much they. Had but if you've never done it, before you really don't, know, RIGHT i, MEAN i think if you just if you're out in a social setting and you're you're throwing drinks, back it's probably not coming to mind for you, that, uh the intoxicant here is IS thhc not, alcohol and you just you never.
Speaker 4: Know well to your, Point i've come across a couple of. People i've not participated in that. Realm mind, You i'm a total beer. Snob that's WHERE i.
Speaker 2: Live OH i, know, yeah you, know got's going to be the guy that WHEN i WHEN i mentioned a weekend full of bush, Lights he's gonna, SAY i hope you enjoyed your.
Speaker 1: Water, ah you.
Speaker 4: DIE i Told dwight your Diet seltzer. Water BUT i have come across folks who have tried gummies for the first. Time it is interesting because there are two different types of. People there's one person that, goes, Oh i'm never it's like, Tequila i'm never doing that. Again and there's other people, say, hey this was, Fantastic.
Speaker 1: So i'm the tequila never do it. Again, yeah but you are.
Speaker 2: RIGHT i think Anybody i've talked to AND i, Look i'm someone that has HAD thhc gummies in to help with anxiety and sleep and that kind of, stuff AND i can certainly see the benefit of. It BUT i, also you, know you got to you gotta be. Careful i'm a paranoid person as it, is AND i think if you don't find the right, balance then.
Speaker 1: You become really.
Speaker 2: Paranoid but but you're, Right it's, wow this has been a game. CHANGER i feel so much more. Relaxed The sunday scaries are no longer such a factor for. Me and then you have others that just, say, HEY i don't really know what that, was BUT i didn't like how that made me. Feel i'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Again do you get the munchies like you do?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 1: Yes do you?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: YEAH i mean, SO i, TRY i try. TO i try to take.
Speaker 2: One in the evening IF i feel Like i'm going to have a tough time, sleeping which sounds Like i'm never going to have any trouble sleeping the rest of my life now on this. Schedule that's what everybody's told. Me but that's the issue is If i'm on the recliner And i'm getting, Sleepy i'm getting, tired And i'm gonna make my way to the bedroom to go to, bed there's going to be a pit stop at the pantry AND i don't want that BECAUSE i don't like to eat BEFORE i go to. Bed that's the worst time to. Eat but, yes to answer your, question the munchies do do?
Speaker 1: Happen? Wow BECAUSE i mean do you if you take?
Speaker 4: Melotonin you?
Speaker 2: Do so melotonin works like a, charm but it has me draggon the next day.
Speaker 4: Exactly, yeah that's WHAT i was. THINKING i tried a couple of melotonin before we'll. Cover i'm, like, MAN i feel.
Speaker 2: Like it's a good sleep and it's a nice relaxing way to just fall.
Speaker 1: Asleep But i'll wake up.
Speaker 2: The next day and even by, Lunchtime i'm feeling groggy, still and there's nothing worse than.
Speaker 1: That so so THE tfc. Works it. Helps it's just.
Speaker 2: You, know you got to monitor how much you, take and you Know i'll probably, eat you, know some chips before, bed which is.
Speaker 4: Terrible and that's why my new snack is not, watermelon BECAUSE i get a sweetpeat. Guy, no, DUDE i have a sweet tooth late at. Night and my problem IS i go grab that bad a.
Speaker 2: Sweet tooth for food that's not like must we tooth the airheads and.
Speaker 1: Skittles, No And that's What i'm.
Speaker 4: SAYING i would go and grab a bag Of nesley tolehouse and just cramp half that bag down my cake. Hole AND i can't tell.
Speaker 1: You that's the old. Stuff It's gerald, though, right that's.
Speaker 3: Right that's being With dorito's at six forty in the morning, today me and.
Speaker 2: You, Together john A Bullet county Was dorito's And Bush.
Speaker 1: Light you take your watermelon over, There, Scott right you.
Speaker 2: Got we've got another update of traffic and weather coming your way right here On News radio eight forty whas it is six forty five here At kentucky and this morning news On News radio eight forty Whas Nick coffee the New Guy day. One very very excited to be. Here and for those who don't, know my background in broadcasting is is. SPORTS i worked At, WELL i still work for the same, company BUT i was with our sports station seven NINETY wkrd for non plus. Years did my last show there On. Friday SO i don't want To i'm probably gonna be in my head a little BECAUSE i don't want people to think That i'm going to try to make this a sport.
Speaker 1: Show i'm.
Speaker 2: Not but certainly sports will be, discussed and obviously we've Got scott doing sports with us throughout every. Morning but one of the things he discussed earlier Is ellie de La cruz hitting a home run the day after finding out that his sister had passed. Away WHICH i don't want to necessarily shift this into a sports, conversation but those kind of things happening never ceased to amaze. Me and there's three, videos types of VIDEOS i should say THAT i.
Speaker 1: Can never get enough. Of i'll watch every one of. Them they never get.
Speaker 2: Old they give me goosebumps at, times And i'm, thinking why AM i crying for. STRANGERS i don't even know these. People i'm not even sure if this is. Real it could BE ai, generated but videos on the sports side just like. That and there was a minor league baseball, team, couple it might have been a DOUBLE a team that the announcer his wife had passed. Away AND i think we're talking either one probably ONE a, actually and it's you, know there's not a lot of, resources as you Know, scott at that, level to where so the broad, caster the, announcers the play by play. Guy he his wife was not just a supporter of the. Team she helped prepare meals at, times and she was a big. Resource and the players knew it really. Well and the one of the players got off the bus before the game knowing that that she had just passed, away and he TOLD i think her name Was. Marge and one of the players told the, Broadcaster i'm going to get one From march, today and.
Speaker 1: Sure enough he. Did and if you, knew if you follow this, team you probably knew of. It but the beginning of.
Speaker 2: The call is there we Go, marge and you, know if you're just listening, randomly you're, thinking what's this guy talking? About and then as he's rounding the, bases he tells the. Story and those are things that JUST i can't get enough of it when it comes to another. Another any video of somebody being surprised by a service member at a game or at a, GRADUATION i, MEAN i don't those never get. Old and it's it's so such a powerful thing to see.
Speaker 4: Love's and that's WHY i love TikTok and you, know Because TikTok's. Real and we went through this period where people were just so scared of TikTok and in, FACT i wanted to send my buddies from high school a couple of VIDEOS i saw and they're, like why don't use TikTok?
Speaker 2: OKAY i have a friend who says the same. Thing if you send me something on, TikTok i'm not going to be able to see it get TikTok, well and it's probably there was a real CONCERN i guess as to the access that TikTok, had AND i won't pretend to know a ton about the specifics of. That, HOWEVER i do believe they've got some of my info because the algorithm not only gives me the content on my TikTok scroll THAT i, like but it's content that makes me feel good about things like you just, Said like it knows THAT i like those those types of, videos SO i see a lot of. Them so, YES i probably spend more time on set platform THAN i, should BUT i usually end up seeing not just things THAT i, enjoy but things that actually do give me a reminder that not everything's bad in the, world like you sometimes are are made to. Believe so, no and this IS i do believe that some of some of this happening What i'm about to, say is because of social media and what people can do to make themselves look. Good but if the good deed is, happening it doesn't. Matter Walk on's getting scholarships to see their surprise and how appreciative they, are they're seemingly inability to control their. Emotions to see how excited their teammates are for. Them it hits me in the fields in a major. Way one THING i missed about, sports And i'm sure most of the same. Way it's just the camaraderie of. It and to see a guy that worked, hard or a girl for that, matter and to see the teammates so happy for. Them i'm convinced that some of that is so the program when the coach can look good on social, Media but either, way it's still a good deed and it's and it's awesome to. See SO i did not know you AND i were on the same page about. TikTok i get. IT i won't pretend to act as if, like, oh what is everybody up said?
Speaker 1: About there's no security?
Speaker 2: Threat, yes CLEARLY i think there, is but it's A i think it's a way more productive platform than anybody gives it credit.
Speaker 1: For, OH i, agree and it's all.
Speaker 4: Natural it's to your, point those reactions you get from those, athletes it's raw emotion and that's WHAT i.
Speaker 2: APPRECIATE i could sit around and watch those videos all. Day good, stuff all, right we've got another update of traffic and weather coming your. Way also another update of sports With scott right here on NEWS radioa forty whis