Speaker 1: This What's on Tap Radio podcast is brought to you by Cast Branding. I remember of the Texas craft Brewers Guild. Cast Branding has been supplying breweries, distilleries, and wineries with top quality merchandise since twenty thirteen. If you're looking for a way to promote and grow your brand, check out Cast Branding on Facebook, Instagram, and online at Cast Branding dot com, Cast Branding dot com, Cash Brandy dot Com. Enjoy the show.
Speaker 2: This is about to be good radio.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: To me, a.
Speaker 1: Craft brewer is much more of a mindset.
Speaker 2: We just opened two.
Speaker 1: Cans, spread the gospel of good beer, good beer. Tons and tons of stuff going on in the beer world.
Speaker 2: I love craft beer. I love different people's beers.
Speaker 1: It's the first favorite.
Speaker 2: Cheers too old us beer geeks and those new to the craft.
Speaker 1: What's on Tap high five?
Speaker 2: This is What's on Tap Radio beer and the culture that flows with it. Pears Beer Guru James Simpson and Beer Logics Chad Beam.
Speaker 1: Fired Up, Fired Up, Fired Up, Chat's on the base.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, not put me in the same category as the less Claypool. Maybe I'm the less Claypool of beer radio, which would be pretty awesome. Of course, that's also pretty arrogant and we haven't even opened a beer.
Speaker 1: For me to have that kind of area and open a beer, I almost had a whole mess and studio I dropped my glass. Luckily the glass was not hard way and luckily the.
Speaker 3: Start off a show.
Speaker 1: Luckily the glass didn't have any beer in it, but that would have been really bad for the first segment. Welcome to the show. I don't want to start off on a bad foot. Chat was jamming on his bass. I know, well, man, I am, I'm ready for a beer. My throat's a little raspy. I've been kind of yelling celebrate october Fest, Chad.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, what are you yelling at? And by the way, congratulations again getting invited back to television because Houston life. Man, that's that's a good gig right there. You gotta I gotta tell you, they really took a shine to you. But then again, we do love them over there at KPRC, and they're good people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, they're really friendly to us. I always appreciate the hospitality. They're so professional, and like I said, I always appreciate the love that they give the show. But we got a show to do and we'll talk more about that coming up. But I'm ready for a beer.
Speaker 3: I know, let's I mean, you know, let's not wait three minutes to thank the wonderful people that bring you this program. I mean, there's James, there's me, there's the producers, and these wonderful sponsors and advertisers. For without them, we'd be under an overpass, like you know, with a tin can and you know, Spare change, spare change and free beer. But these sponsors are.
Speaker 1: Tension Brewing, Spirit, Pest Control, bio Logic, Conference of Events, bring all today, an insurance group, the backyard grill, keeping the lights nice and bright, thanks to our friends over at Harbor Light Brewing, and of course sponsoring our podcast which is available everywhere, and I mean everywhere, thanks to our friends over at Cast Branding. Welcome to What's on Tap Radio. I'm Brigo Jamesipson, joined as always by mister Brittle Logic himself, mister Chadpilbeam. Probably Bill on assignment this week, or he's on vacation. I don't even know what he is, but he's not with us this week, so we will be like the old days, just Chad and I, which is fine and uh, I'm ready for a beer. Speaking of sponsors, thanks to our friends over the backyard grill brought to the table where Chad and I are bringing beers to the table, and that will set off the momentum of the show. And don't worry, we'll have down there.
Speaker 3: That's a way to stay say it set off the momentum, right, Well, you know you.
Speaker 1: Always want to bring the fire, bring the bring the heat. Not literally, Jacks, literally, I'm not bringing like ghost pepper beer or anything. But you know, it's a it's a time to drink, and it's time to have a beer and celebrate all things that are well in the world. And that's what what's on Tap radio is all about. So who's kicking things off? Chad? Is it you?
Speaker 3: We're going first over here.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Chad used the plural. I did yeah assignment this week when when he come back.
Speaker 3: We sifted now, no, no, no, We sifted through hundreds of applications. We did a strenuous process of interviews and uh physical tasks and we have a stunt beer liver in studio. After all of that, you know, the interviews and background checks, we got a social Security number. Xavier's in studio and he's gonna be just sitting back and helping me make sure that we knock out these cans of beer. And uh, this particular one comes to us from my wife. No, she did not brew this beer, but it does come from Stonefaced Brewery in New Hampshire. She was she was on assignment. I said, woman, go pick up No, I didn't say that, I said honey, please. I said, honey, please go picked up some beer from this brewery. And the reason I wanted her to go pick up beer from this brewery, the Stoneface in New Hampshire, is because they had a beer that I wanted her to pick up. Unsuccessful in picking it up, but we got this one here. This is the Broove Dark Lagger, the check style dark lager beer. But I looked up some of the tasting notes on it. I cheated a little bit and they indicated that they put some chocolate in it. So I'm gonna take a taste here, cheater. Well, it's more rich than what you would expect from a typical German dark style lagger. It has some additional flavors in there, making it a little bit sweeter. I am getting some chocolate notes on it. But it has a little bit of a actually, no, a lot a very dry finish, and I'm I'm digging it's it's a richer beer than what I would expect for Dark Lagger. It's more chocolatey than what I would expect for Dark laggerly check Dark Lagger. It doesn't have all of the roast I would expect a little bit sweeter. And that's We're kicking the things off with Stone Face Brewing Company, a five percent check style Dark Lagger with what says that right here featured Molt the Bohemian pillsner chocolate, wheat and car Yeah. Whatever, Well, I'm gonna tell you very chocolatey. And that's what I'm kicking the show off with.
Speaker 1: All right, wait to kick it off, Chad chricking out of the Boston Lagger Glass.
Speaker 3: I see no, no, no, no, no, no no, this is an antique. This is you remember whenever Rodney Campbell cast branding. Uh, there's our first name drop of the show and.
Speaker 1: Turned Rodney when I go on TV, he's my intern.
Speaker 3: He's oh yeah, I saw him taking a video of you. Anyway, that particular beer right there, Glass is a beer Logic conferences and events glass made for you by our friends at Cass Branding, who they don't do glass wear anymore.
Speaker 1: No they don't, unfortunately not. But that's our plenty p.
Speaker 3: Yeah will Yeah, that's all right. We can live with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. So, uh, let me let me tell you what I'm bringing. The table that I am bringing in my same Lams Boston Longer glass, which I almost broke as we you know, the intro was playing. But I'm almost out of time in this segment. But I'm not bringing an october Fest this week, Chad, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 3: No, no bull lire, not happening. Lies, lies, lies.
Speaker 1: I am not bringing october Fest because I am bringing a marchtober Fest.
Speaker 3: See I knew it. See you're full of craft.
Speaker 1: I knew it. October Fest. This is a March Soberfest from Galada Company at four point five percent alcohol by volume, which makes me think is more of a fest beer. So let me go and import into my Boston Lagger glass and uh nice copper, good color, good head retention. And I'm gonna take a swig of this real quick before we go to break.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, give a taste of that.
Speaker 1: That tastes like in a World Cup gold winner right there.
Speaker 3: This tasts like a month before April.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying about it. It tastes like a World Beer Cup gold winner right there. All right, I'm gonna take a break. All right, We're gonna take a break. Sorry. Yeah, we got a lot on tap this week, including a lot of State Fair news, a lot of beer's debuting at the State Fair. We'll talk about that. Oh, this is so much more coming right up, the official What's on Tap Rid you fun fact of the week. Don't worry. We got a lot on tap this week. You're not gonna want to miss an ounce of it. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Here at What's on Tap Radio. We know two types of people, those you drink with and those that make you drink.
Speaker 4: Oh, your parents are coming for the weekend.
Speaker 3: Either way, we're drinking, all right. Everybody's got a beer. You got a beer, I got a beer. We got a beer. You know who else has beer? The Backyard Grill on the northwest side of Houston. But when you're drinking, you want to have something to eat too, So go get yourself some grub at the byg The menu is amazing. They've got all your Texas favorites like steaks, bahatas, chops, and it's all grilled on a wood grill. Got burgers, you got wraps. Hey, if you're vegetarian, they got salads, they got soups, homemade dishes, and specialties like smoky the beer chicken. Oh yeah, smoked chicken injected with local beer. Sounds delicious, right yeah, and don't forget the green beans. I know you're thinking, wait a minute, is this guy just talking about all the grilled stuff and you're gonna tell me to eat your veggies. Hey, mom said eat your veggies. Over one hundred different menu items, get the green beans. Trust me, you won't regret it, and over one hundred different beers head out to the Backyard Grill in the corner of Weston Jones Road on the northwest side of Houston.
Speaker 1: Cheers, Yes, all right, get settled in here. What kind of a segment two of What's on Top Radio? I hope you're having a fantastic weekends whatever you're doing, Thanks for hanging out with us. The first segment brought the table thanks to our friends over at the Backyard Grill. Jack kicking is awesome.
Speaker 3: Love for those guys. Yeah, out there on the northwest side of Houston. And yeah, if you're looking for a beer out there in the oasis known as two ninety, you're driving along, yeah, swinging, telling what's on tap?
Speaker 1: Radio sent you, Yes, do that, but you kicked things off in the first segment with it was stone Age Brewing, Face Face, Stone Face Brewing.
Speaker 3: It's a doc log. It's called broove b r u V. And I don't know, it's warmed up a little bit more. I don't know why. Maybe it's just after you know, quite a few SIPs, chocolate's died down a little bit. I don't know if they put chocolate in there or not. I told you I cheated. I looked at the tasting notes. But overall, I mean it's a nice beer. It's it's super dry finishes, really crazy sp and dry on. I mean it makes you want another sip, Like you take a sip, your tongue is dry. I want another. And then that's a brewmaster's secret to keep you drinking beer. But yeah, very chocolated. I'm not getting not getting a lot of coffee notes or dry roast notes or yeah, it's really just you know, you kind of look for some of those burnt notes in there, like like like a coffee or black coffee, and I'm not getting it. It's chocolated to me. I don't know. I got the X man in here, Xavier, and he's not on third Mic. He's just stunt beer living, hanging out, hanging out, and he's helping me because we're going to crack up in another beer in the next segment. And uh, in order for us to be able to talk about that, I need to have a stunt beer liver, gotcha? So I don't. I do not do all my own stunts. So well, we do, all right, James.
Speaker 1: We do encourage drinking responsibly on the show. So Chad is demonstrating that as we speak. So I told Chad in the first segment that I did not bring an october Fest to this show. This week, you lied, I did not. I did not bring in october Fest because I brought a Marchtoberfest. See it says right there on the cam for Galason Island Brewing Company four point five percent ABV Island Brewed Marchtoberfest. Does that say Octoberfest? Chad?
Speaker 3: Does it? Taste like it was brewed in April.
Speaker 1: It's in March Stoverfest, in March stoverfest Overfest.
Speaker 3: Does it take? But I want to know because it because it was probably brewed in March, which is Marsin, which is in German, which is when the original was it was brewed. Then you store it in the.
Speaker 1: World Cold Cup for the mars In category.
Speaker 3: I see it's on the can, all right, I got it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, all right? So here's the here's the secret. If I've talked about it a couple of times, but I'll bring it up again. So Galason Island Brewing has a great October Fest and they wanted to send it off to World Beer Cup to be judged. But World Beer Cup is in May, so they didn't want to send old beer to the World Beer Cup judges. They wanted to send fresh beer. So they brewed this beer in March. And they know that customers don't drink Octoberfests outside of its season. I don't know why. It's perfectly okay to drink october Fest in November and December and January, but customers think for some reason, it's not october Fest on it, and it's not October, the beer's expired and they knew that, so they just rebranded it, calling it March Soberfest. And so they sent it off the World Beer Cup and they won a gold for their marsin category in the March for their March tber Fest.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is genius marketing right there. I don't know what else was thinking. I mean, you call you, yeah, if you you know what here, I'm just gonna say this. Whenever somebody makes a summer pills near beer, we all know summer beers as soon as September first hits. Nobody drink summer beers. Amen, right, yeah, so make us September pills and it'll sell.
Speaker 1: It's funny how consumers just they're so put off by the word October or Christmas or anything that's outside of its season.
Speaker 3: You want to you want to dig into the archives. We've been on the show or been on the air for a long time. You want to dig into the archives and remind everybody what, oh my goodness, what's the gentleman's name from San Antonio said about Scott Metzger. Scott Metzger, there is a name drop, right.
Speaker 1: I interviewed him once and I asked him, why do you think customers don't drink Octoberfest and November? What is it about. It's expecting him to say, oh, well, let's got the October on it. That's maybe. No, he said, well, probably because they are convinced that once November first comes around, all cans of Octoberfest turned into cans of AIDS. True. Story's all right, we gotta do this chat.
Speaker 3: Now, the official What's on Tap Radio fun fact of the week, brought to you by Who's ever checked Clear?
Speaker 2: This week?
Speaker 1: And I tell that story now and people are They just look at me like what?
Speaker 3: No, he really did say that. In fact, I feel like we should have ran the disclaimer, like, you know, the views expressed.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I mean this is an interview. This is what he told me. When I asked Hilm the question.
Speaker 3: It was the craziest thing. I know. I couldn't believe it. He just said that. We're like, yeah, did he really just say that? The words just come out?
Speaker 1: And I think I ran into the sound bite for a while too. This is god years and years and years ago.
Speaker 3: Yep, all right, well we all know that that's not true. No, it's definitely not true. Feel free to drink your October refestm whenever you want, you can share a toilet seat, you can do whatever you want. You're not going to contract that. That virus is just not going to happen. All right, anyway, moving on beyond that. But by the way, speaking of which, since that was a lie, I figured let's talk politics because we had an election coming up, and well.
Speaker 1: Politicians, let's just make some people upset.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, right, but what do all politicians have in common?
Speaker 1: Lobbyist?
Speaker 3: Right exactly. They're all liars, right, yeah, that's right, they're liars. They make campaign promises they can't keep. I mean, I mean they said they were gonna.
Speaker 1: I will find uh and I will cure cancer.
Speaker 3: Ye right, well no, that was that was what it was like, We're gonna we're gonna launch a war on poverty and we're gonna end poverty. Well that didn't happen. You know, read my lips. No new taxes on. We're gonna forgive your college loans. If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor. We're gonna build a wall in Mexico, is gonna pay Okay, never mind that none of these things happen. They don't come true. So how do we keep electing these people and putting them up for vote. I don't understand it. We know they're full of crap, and yet these are the best choices we have.
Speaker 1: Choice and I have the only choices we have. And it's sad.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, so you official What's on Tap Radio fun fact of the Week. I went into the archives of elections to find out were they liars back then winning elections? Is that how they want elections? And it turns out that is not the case. No, they actually used beer to win elections. And you're gonna say, yeah, right, okay, whatever, so they drank some beer and whatever. No, I'm telling you this was an actual strategy for winning elections. And if you don't believe me, I'm gonna prove it with the official What's on Tap Radio fun Factor of the week. Yeah, what if you could win an election? Think about this, not on your character, not on your principles or your competence, but on your ability to get somebody drunk. How's that for a campaign promise?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 3: I know you are right, I know. Yeah, campaign promises forget them. We've got alcohol. I'll vote for that guy. Turns out it was not an uncommon practice, and it was called swilling the planters with bumbo. James, you're from you like gumbo?
Speaker 1: I do love gumbo. My son, my son loves gumbo.
Speaker 3: I love you some gumbo. Well this is bumbo, which was a rum based and they didn't just serve rum. They had rum, they had cider, they had whiskey, they had wine, and of course they had beer. And if you wanted to buy votes back in colonial times, that's what you did. Don't believe me. Ask twenty four year old George Washington who ran for the first time for the Virginia House Oh yeah, of Burgess and lost the election. Why because he did not serve enough alcohol to his voters. He was he lost an election to an a less principled individual. And the next year or two years later, he came back and he provided you're ready for this, one hundred and forty four gallons of rum, punch, cider, and beer and won his first election. And this was a practice that continued on throughout colonial times and even into the eighteen hundreds, where the candidate who had the biggest bash got the most votes. So your fish, So what's on Tap Radio Fun Fact of the week is don't trust those campaign promises from those liars out there. Just ask who's throwing the biggest party, because they've been doing it since the colonial times, swilling the planters with bumbo, how to win an election with booze? And that is your official What's on Tap Radio fun fact of the week.
Speaker 1: They should bring that back. Let's see how the election turns out. I like game on, Game on. All right, it's been your official What's on tap Rado fun factor week coming up, Let's talk about the State Fair and allD reveals this new official beer taster. What all this is? So much more? Hang with us. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: If you're by yourself drinking a beer and listening to the show, you're not drinking alone, So be a pal and put your pants back on.
Speaker 1: What's what's on tax.
Speaker 2: This is what's on tap radio?
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back. What's on top Radio is what you're listening to. We appreciate you hanging out with us. Got a lot on tap this this week, looking at some stories coming up. We got flip back to this screen.
Speaker 3: Stay Fair.
Speaker 1: Stay Fair is happening in Fort Worth. Go hang out with big texts. Some beers are debuting out at the Estay Fair. We'll talk about that. We got some stories out of the UK. Hey, good news for you, Mitchello ultra drinkers. And if you're really trying to cut down on your alcohol intake, got a story for you on that. And oh yeah, a lot of on tap.
Speaker 3: We've got a lot on tap stuff. We got stuff.
Speaker 1: We got stuff. We got stuff, a lot of good stuff.
Speaker 3: And you know what, and if we can't find stuff, we'll get stuff. And if we can't get stuff, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean we have thanks to our friends over at Superior Pest Control always flooding our inbox with amazing stories. And you know, I'm trying to do the show and look through it and go a hey this good stories, including this one. All d all d reveals that has a new official beer taster. I know, I didn't even know they were. Did we talk about that we're looking for a beer taster?
Speaker 3: No, no, nope, because you didn't. You know, I would have put my application in right I signed up.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about who they hired. All so much more coming up.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we are talking about that. But in the meantime. You know, I have a stunt beer liver and we're out.
Speaker 1: Of beer, so already that's what I know.
Speaker 3: And I feel really bad about this one because Harbard light Bill, who's out on assignment or vacation or whatever he's doing, you.
Speaker 1: Drop a name for mill or dot do I guess.
Speaker 3: You know, just to be safe, you know, because you know we do. We do have liability insurance in case we get it wrong. But you know, I don't want to ever want to make a claim because I don't want our premiums to go up speaking of witch coming up in the next segment or next hour. Rather, we are going to have hold my beer and watch this brought to you by ringing all the ten Acen insurance group and and UH want to thank them. But so this particular beer is it's one he brought and I'm just I'm grabbing it. It's an Italian pilsner called noodle in. Now, if you don't know what noodlan is, I don't know that you could find two more different things. We've got an Italian pilsner in Noodlan. And if your noodlan, you're catfishing with your arm.
Speaker 1: Okay, see I was gonna, okay, I was gonna guess what it was, and that that's what I'm sorry. Okay, So that's when you stick your arm down on the muck. Yeah. What was the name of the host? Was it Mark?
Speaker 3: Mike Mike Rowe who used to do the dirty job dirty jobs? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I read an interview with him. He said the most dangerous, scariest job he ever did was noodling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if you get a hold of one of these huge catfish, they'll drag you down. Yeah, and if you can't, so you're in the muck and you're trying to pull up and the dang thing won't let go of you. Yeah, You're you're in trouble. And I mean, I don't know anything about it, but I can tell you that this is a four point six percent logger and it's from Fossil Cove Brewing Company. We'll see who I can find out in Fantville, Arkansas and.
Speaker 1: More Arkansas beers.
Speaker 3: It's it's a bizarre label too. It's it makes a catfish look like an alien, like a I mean, it looks like a monster, and it's kind of frightening. But the beer, they describe it as good cold beer. So was it taste like cold?
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's all you have to say. Sometimes it's just it's cold. It's all I got.
Speaker 3: Also, also not a huge fan of this one. It's it's pretty, it's crisp, it's light bodied, but getting I don't know if it's the hop that they used in it or what, but it's just not to my taste. I don't think it's a bad beer, it's just not to my taste.
Speaker 1: So we know what I'm joining over here. I got the Marchtoberfest from galason Island Brewing and it notes it's haffee. It's got almost like like a cookie taste to it, very light, so I wanna assume it's a fest beer. Doesn't actually stay it on the can, but I could be wrong, But looking at it's a four point five percent alcohol by volume. I will have to tell you, guys disclaimer that the Marktoberfest is a tap room exclusive that you can't get out at your.
Speaker 3: Beer Stars of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I want to thank our good friend Leo over the Texas Beer Experience and works for Galaxon Island Brewing as well, met up with me and he donated some of the beer for me. To talk about on the show, and I did.
Speaker 3: That's good people.
Speaker 1: I did some TV with it as well. But I'm just a big fan of the beer. It's so good and it won a World Beer Cup gold for obvious reason because it's amazing.
Speaker 3: And speaking of amazing, I have a stunt beer liver and I'm going to give him all of this. I just don't like the hot profile on this. It may end up we may be sharing it with the Yard, And I'm not saying it's bad, just saying it's not my flavor profile.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The hop that's used in this, whatever it is, it doesn't say, but it has a very herbaceous, herbal, rustic, just kind of flavor to it, and I'm it's well made. I just don't like the particular hop.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't like every beer you drink, No, you don't, you know you don't.
Speaker 3: But you know, what if what if you're a kid? I mean kid? Does a kid? Does a child have a discerning palette?
Speaker 1: I guess when it comes to root beer it does. Or you're hanging out at a college football game, do you see this story, Chad?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's this coross Dude. I set you up so.
Speaker 1: This, this story is all over social. I saw this video on TikTok, and of course it came across our desk. But there's a video from the Longhorn game when they're playing the Louisiana tex As Longhorns. Yes, and this is where Chad's gonna tell me Louisiana Monroe Warhawks. And there's this video going viral of a toddler seemingly chugging a beer in the stands. So fans gathered last weekend to witness Texas quarterback Arch Manning to make his first college football start. Did quite well, and that is expected all Longhorns from the get go, winning fifty one to three. There's a blowout and the victory. This a little do a little sports update for those you know checking out the sports h Manny completed fifteen of twenty nine passes for two hundred and fifty eight yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. However, the big spotlight of the whole game was shifted off the field when a post went on social of a toddler chugging what appeared to be a michelob ultra. And there's no way to be certain what the can was because it looks like there's a cooozy on it, but looking at it, there is if you looked at a Michelobultu, it's got like a red strip that goes up and it's blue. And we're not certain, but a bisoner recorded the video informed the mom, Hey, excuse me that are ma'am. You're you're toddler. They're uh sucking back on your on your beer. Apparently the mom was preoccupied with something else, yeah, to notice what was happening. But the little girl, she must have looked she was maybe three to four years old, and she's just picking this up, double fisting it. But it looks like it has a cooozy on it, so it's hard to identify what it is. It may some people are thinking it was a pepsi can, but we don't know.
Speaker 3: Who is a pepsi can in a sports stadium.
Speaker 5: Ibody, nobody, but whoeverbody, whoever's todder this folks got all those deals that taller was enjoying it because sip after sip after sip after sip.
Speaker 1: It was interesting because the lady who's recording this and putting on her TikTok was like, not the first sip, Hey, hey, little kid. She was like, oh, this is nice. Let me film this real quick and then I'll form the mother.
Speaker 3: She let the moms safety second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she let the toddler drink about four or five cists before she informed the mom. Hey, by the way, your toddler's over here.
Speaker 3: And get a million likes with this video. Now make your kids stop.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some of comments on social obviously never disappoint one. One person on social road. Finally a kid not using an iPad another road.
Speaker 3: I thought that was that addicted to the technology. Nice one rote.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a pepsi at first. That mom is definitely distracted. So a few people are out there reaching. But yeah, Todler appears to chuck beer at a college football game and a viral post so.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, okay, well how about this all right?
Speaker 1: No word whether or I'm Tyler drove home?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's it was in Texas. Yeah, And they don't let you drive underage, but you can drink underage if your parents purchase it and provide it for you. That's a that's a that's a that's a weird law in Texas. Now the establishments can they they can put up restrictions that prevent you from having to do that, But no word on whether it's posted in the stadium that.
Speaker 1: How distracted are you that your toddler's And it's not like the toddler just picked it up and took a sip of it. No, the todler was like the video is about thirty seconds long, and the tiller's just sucking it back and then mom. And it's hard to tell in a in a video who's the mom. There's a couple of ladies sitting next to the child, so it's hard to identify which ones the mom, but clearly both of them are really really focused on the game and not focused on the child.
Speaker 3: That's just I don't understand why, because I mean, the game was a blowout, but maybe maybe it was this. Maybe they figured out it's like, you know, the kids got to eat, and with the price of formula these days, they figure stadium beers are cheaper and the kid will shut up, he'll take a nap. Maybe they wanted the kid to take a nap well and just have and just put it down and just go to sleep.
Speaker 1: Well, want user wrote or One commentator wrote on TikTok, well it's michaelol bulster's like water anyway. So no harm, no foul. But the thing is, as a kid, you remember getting a taste of a beer as a child, You're just like, oh, that's the most disgusting thing ever.
Speaker 3: No, I my dad would have slapped me so hard.
Speaker 1: I remember I had an uncle. I had an uncle. We're at a wedding, you know. The uncle's like, hey, hey man, he little Jamie took us inp of this, and I was like, eh, not this child, this kid is definitely having a good time.
Speaker 3: No, and he set you on the path to do this fine radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's looking at me like I get royalties, don't I? All right? Speaking of kids, Speaking of kids, we gotta take a break. But coming up, this is a controversial topic. Kids at breweries. Do they belong at breweries. There's one brewery out there that saying no more, no more kids at our brewery. And we'll explain why. Coming up. This is what's on tap radio. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Think. Oh you want we prefer to drink outside the box. You have good taste. Hey, what's on top? What's this is what's on tap radio?
Speaker 1: Right? Going? Good man, good beers at He's from me marchtober Fest Gallatin. I'm brewing Taploom Exclusive. Go out to the island, visit them. They have their October Fest coming up sometime in October. I think like the twelfth. I can't remember off the top of my head, but check out their social for all details. But get this beer if you're out there, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I love about having a stunt beer liver with me. I want to thank Xavier for, you know, being honest and truthful on his background check because after the urinary analysis and is you know, calling the three references, he was allowed to show up and when he did, we we made that all possible for him to come in studio. But he's helped me out. I've got this Fossil Cove Brewing Company. It's from Arkansas, uh Noodlean Italian pilsner, and there's just something about it that does not agree with my palette. And that's okay. You don't have to love every beer you have. Prior to that, we had the Stone Face Brewing Company Broove Dark Lagger and it was very, very chocolatey, but it tended to mellow out with the more SIPs I had, So maybe it was just my palette not being ready for it. But that's okay. You know we uh, you know, you're everybody's palette's a little bit different. And uh, I'm experimenting with some beers. And our good friend Bill harbor Light, Bill on assignment or vacation with his wife, who knows, left this beer here for us, and he thought he was going to get to try it. Well he was wrong, so that one happened.
Speaker 1: Fridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it either yeah, one of two things happens. Either I drink it or it goes in the crisper drawer and dies.
Speaker 1: Never be heard of again. That's all right. We're talking about kids. Last segment. We're talking about this viral video that's making the rounds. You know obviously why it's why viral. But yeah, this toddler, little girl wearing a little cute Texas Longhorn uniform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the old hook them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just send back, sucking back on michelot Ultra. Yeah, and I guess the mom.
Speaker 3: Kids will be.
Speaker 1: Kids, Yeah, kids will be kids exactly right.
Speaker 3: This is more like parents will be parents. And and the thing is is the kid was not out of sight. No child was with the parent. It's not like the it's not like the child was, you know, taking over to the student section with the parents and said here, you watch the game over here, Send the three year old over there, and we're gonna go back to our seats. No.
Speaker 1: No, the mom's sitting right there all right, preoccupied with something else.
Speaker 3: Well, just all right, maybe maybe I'm I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but maybe beer is the problem with parenting. I know I'm gonna go there, I am because there was beer and the kid was right on the on the parents' lap, not paying attention. Well, this takes us to a whole new level. We have talked about this almost too many times, but when you see what is happening here in this story, you may take a slightly different approach to me. Say, ah, you've talked about this before, but kids at brewery's.
Speaker 1: It's a controversial topic.
Speaker 3: It is, and we've talked about it, and so what else could you say? There's nothing else you can talk about with this? There's nothing. So why are we even talking about it? Well, because there's one brewery that's taking it to another level and they are calling themselves out. That's right, they're going kid unfriendly. Yeah, I love this.
Speaker 1: Not the first or the last brewer. We'll talk about doing this.
Speaker 3: No, no miners under the age of sixteen, No, get out, all right, you're not welcome here. Why. It's not because we're mean, it's not because we don't love kids. But a brewery in Cleveland, the Forest City, has identified a safety issue because parents aren't monitoring their children.
Speaker 1: See there, it is, there, it is. That's exactly what happens. I've seen it happen. I've seen it happen. Kids are they're running around. It's it gets out of control sometimes and I'm like, I'm not I have two kids, and I used to bring my kids to the brewery. My kids weren't running ound like a crazy bit.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're you were signing autographs and parenting.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 3: But it's if you think about it, though, everybody wants to be family friendly, kid friendly, dog friendly, pet friendly, whatever else it is, and this particular brewery says, Nope, we're done. If you're under the age of sixteen, you are not welcome here because of the safety issues and parents not monitoring their children. And the owner even says he's like, look, I'm frustrated, but you know, kids are going to be kids, and that's it.
Speaker 1: Kids are going to be kids. But when you didn't when you're in a brewery and you know, people are sitting there and maybe they bring their own lawn chairs and so forth, and kids are throwing the football around and it's hitting people and maybe the.
Speaker 3: Yep yep, and they're knocking over beers and you know, you just paid you know, seven bucks for a pint. Somebody just knocks it over and that's a problem. And but I found it interesting he said kids will be kids, but the problem is parents aren't monitoring the kids.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 3: And you know, he didn't say he didn't come out and say parents will be parents, because if he had said that, well, those that's your customer base. You don't want to alienate that. Well, it was his customer base until he went kid unfriendly. And I think the he described it as and I got a great quote here that this is essentially the straw that broke the back, and he's like, that's it, we can't do this anymore. But he came in to use the restroom and there were five kids in there, throwing things around, breaking things. He says we've got to do something, and in addition to customers complaining, the staff started voicing concerns. But can you imagine this. It's like I just drank a couple of pints. I gotta go in. I got to break the seal. I gotta go do the deal, you know, whatever it is. And there's five kids in there, and they're all running around throwing wet paper towels and hanging on the door and clogging up the toilet and whatever. Is like, wait a minute, this no, no, First of all, there's no way all five of those kids had to go to the toilet at the same time. One of the time kids and wash your hands, all right. But Forest City now they're uh, they're ready. They're like, we're ready for all all customers. Come on out. And social media, Yeah, there's a few people that are excited about it. On Facebook. Yep, yeah, I love this. They wrote good finally road trip, Cleveland's now on the to do list. I like how it's like Cleveland was not on the to do list before, but now I gotta go. Like, who's going to Cleveland Wywy? Would we go there? They got a brewery with no kids, let's go. Why would another one? Why would kids? People bring their kids there anyway? That's there are just some places you don't take them, and this is one of them. Oh and by the way, teens don't belong there either.
Speaker 1: Well. I have to say, one of the most patient brewery I've ever seen when it comes to kids is No Label Brewing Company. You think, because they they are they friends, sunshine and and beerd that's what their motto was. And they have a playground for kids. But man, and they and they've gone through like no more chalk because remember the kids.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, bring up the chalk story.
Speaker 1: Kids were bringing chalk, They were bringing skateboards to the brewery and they're like, guys, look, we want your kids to have fun, but we can't do the chalk.
Speaker 3: Dot to do the skateboards. No more football stage, nothing that can fly, Nope. And then we have an entire play ground area over there for you go.
Speaker 1: There was a video they did. I can't remember how long ago it was, but it's like, it's no label kid Frilly. What it said. The title said, it's no label kid frilly and it pants to like five kids beating on the garage door.
Speaker 3: Just boot boo boo boo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's like this garage door right next to the playground and the.
Speaker 3: Kids and they were just unmonitored kids and they were acting they had yeah, uh like security video. Kids just run around like guys, you need to watch your kids.
Speaker 1: Well what happened?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: The parents are just hanging out with their friends and the kids like, oh, we got run around, like sure, just get out of here, I don't just don't bother me. And then so they go off and they causing havoc and it started. They started the playground and they're like, Okay, we're kind of done with the playground, so let's go let's go h on a venture, explore it exploring and the next thing you know, you know, they're throwing dirt or sticks. And so it comes that same old debate. Kids don't belong to breweries. You're drinking, you're gonna get in the cord drive kids home too. Well, we don't know, maybe there's a designator driver. There's someone usually well sometimes not partaking in the alcohol who will drive. But that's the argument, you're gonna get in the cord drive quts home. So do you believe that kids should be banned at breweries. Let us know, we like to talk about it. At What's on Are you willing?
Speaker 3: I want to know would you call your would you be in favor of a brewery that labeled itself kid unfriendly?
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna lose some clientele, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: But you're gonna lose some, but you may gain more.
Speaker 1: May gain more. All right, that's our number one of what's on tab Radio? Coming up next hour, we're gonna talk about state Fair. We got a hold my beer and watch this all he reveals its new official beer taster and we got some stories from the UK. All this is so much more coming up and now number two hang with us for one more hour. We got an actually pack one for you. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Beer is not the answer, but it does make you forget the question. So what was I saying?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, more, what's on tap Radio?
Speaker 3: Hold my beer and watch this brought to you by your friends at weging all the ten taking insurance Group RTI Grand Rapids dot Com.
Speaker 1: Necessarily is seriously my favorite time of year. I love love Octoberfest season, you know, starting to get cool outside Football's back, playoff Baseball Octoberfest. Beers are poring, Octoberfest events are happening just all around. Good time. Don't forget to follow us on our social at What's on tap Radio. We're on all of the major platforms Facebook, x, Instagram, TikTok or do you want to get send us an email? You can do so. What's on tap rado at gmail dot com. That's what's on tap rido at gmail dot com. If you got a beer for us to try or story to send us, do so. Chad, Chad's jumping at the bit. He's got an open beer number seven.
Speaker 3: Shut up. This is our third beer.
Speaker 1: Because the grass had the other one.
Speaker 3: I know, I believe or not. Stunt beer. Liver stepped up. Apparently he wants to come back. He's like, no, we're not throwing this in the yard. I will take one for the team. That's why you brought me here, That's why I was hired. He's like the third string quarterback. He's got the backward baseball cap on and the clipboard and he really does have a backward baseball cap on. He's been sitting on the bench studying film, you know, actually chatting with girls and whatever, doing his thing and all of a sudden, he's like, you know, they might call me into the game, and we called him into the game. It's like, we got a beer we can't finish. He's like, I got it, man, I got it. Drink up, Rudy, you got one play. You gotta drink this Italian pilsner. And he's doing his part. Meanwhile, I reached into the crisper drawer because I put this.
Speaker 1: No, I did be a faithful chrisper drawer where beers go to die.
Speaker 3: Right, because you put it in there and you forget about them, and then you're like, wait a minute, what's in here? And you open the drawer and put them the beer.
Speaker 1: I was six years old in that crisper drawer.
Speaker 3: No, this one's not that bad. From Lagannita's brewing company.
Speaker 1: That beer a Christmer drawer, Loganita is amazing.
Speaker 3: Well, because I wanted to hold onto. I was hoping I forgot about it, but I didn't. This is a ten percent unrefined sugar, strong ale rude with whole cane sugar and amazing.
Speaker 1: I like Hulcanne sugar.
Speaker 3: I know this is this is good. I do like the label on it, though it cracks me up. But Unrefined Sugar Strong Ale from Laganita is a ten percent strong ale and I'm gonna open it up here, pour a little bit for myself, and I'm gonna pour a little bit over here for our esteemed stunt beer liver. And oh my goodness, the nose on this, it's a moll bomb. It is just malty and just smells rich. Let's take a test. Okay, it's very aggressively hopped to balance out that and also boozy. Wow, you don't get any floral notes or aromatics on the hops, but man, that's a boozy beer. And that is delicious. So not as rich as I expected. Finishes a little bit dry, but absolutely delicious. The Unrefined Sugar from Lagunita's Brewing Company Strong al brew with whole cane sugar.
Speaker 1: All right, and I'm almost done with my March Toberfest from Gallas Island Brewing Company, the World Beer Cup Winner Gold World Beer Cup winner in the Mars and category from the twenty twenty four World Beer Cup. But I am almost done with that, and I'll be cracking a beer coming up next segment. But let's do this.
Speaker 2: Hold my beer and watch this brought to you by the Ring Malda ten Hacen insurance group, where they'll cover you for just about everything except this.
Speaker 1: Okay, not a lot of detail, a lot of details in the story, but there is some good, juicy stuff in here, so let's get into it. A driver may have gotten herself into trouble after calling law enforcement to report not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, but eight vehicles following her. You heard me right, eight vehicles following her during a drive down Colorado's I seventy and according to Summit County's Sheriff's office, their team fielded a call from a neighboring county related to a driver and a passenger who reportedly believed they were being followed while traveling the Mountain Interstate and as the couple crossed these into Summit County, local deputies were able to make contact near Frisco, and a couple in the vehicles said that it had claimed that eight vehicles have been following them on the highway, also stopping at the same gas stations as them. Right, all right, we'll lose them. Let's pull into the gas station. Oh they're here too, Keep going, keep going, well. While the couple also said that the vehicles had followed them into Frisco deputies well, they said they didn't see any vehicles at the scene. The female driver allegedly admitted consuming both alcohol and cocaine, to driving in cocaine prior to driving, and when she agreed to a roadside test, Debt said that she failed to complete a comparable from what a supper person would.
Speaker 3: No, huh, oh, you'll had the alcohol and the cocaine and you don't be able to stand and walk a straight line.
Speaker 1: And the cocaine. She was arrested and booked on multiple charges.
Speaker 3: Uh uh.
Speaker 1: Here's the lesson, folks, here's the lesson.
Speaker 3: Here, there's more than one.
Speaker 1: It's a very simple lesson. Don't drive under the influence. Not only many drugs result in pyramid, but paranoia is also a side effect. All right. Also, kids, don't do drugs. It almost reminds me of almost famous don't do drugs. So all suspects were in said until proven guilty in the court of law according to the story, but your hold my beer and watched this bring brought to you by our friends over renalton Eg Insurance Group. Colorado driver claims not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven, but eight vehicles were following them on a mountain drive. Ends up getting arrested and the cops report, yeah, we didn't see any vehicles, not a one, not a one.
Speaker 3: When you said that eight vehicles were following and she called herself Princess Diana, and I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: That's at Chad Pilby, by the way, hold of great.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna send the hate mail my way. Uh yeah, that would hurt. I that's that's such an unusual call.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I mean the cops, you know, they're gonna hear every kind of call in the world. I mean, they're gonna get all the strange ones. I've heard the ones where you know, somebody got their big Mac wrong or you know, their whopper wrong and they called nine one one because they wouldn't give them their money back or something like that. It was like, no, you don't you call the manager. You don't call nine one one. This one here, somebody's under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
Speaker 1: And drugs and again, and like I said, there's not a lot of details.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know the name of the person arrested. I don't know what kind of alcohol they were.
Speaker 3: Drinking, right, or how many grams of coke?
Speaker 1: How many grams of coke? I don't know any of that, But I do know that they were claiming that eight vehicles were following out and they even tried right.
Speaker 3: That's the party finds so strange. It's like they knew exactly how many cars. Like if I look at my rear view mirror and I see more than two cars, it's it's three or more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have no idea you can tell one, but yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Have time to count. How many cars are you hiving? Like one, two, three, four, five, six, eight? You got time to count eight. That's that's the probable cause right there. All right, thank you bringing all the tenant and insurance group. We're sponsoring that segment. And USA remember.
Speaker 1: Don't do drugs. All right, Well, you're gonna take a break coming out, Let's talk State Fair and uh, let's talk about Aldie, who revealed its official beer taster. Who is this? Oh this is so much more.
Speaker 3: Hang with us.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: When someone says, hold my beer, you know a trip to the er is in your future, so hold your own beer buddy, and just listen to more of What's What's on Tap Radio.
Speaker 3: Superior Pest Control of West Michigan, Superior Pest dot Biz. They are sponsors of the research department here at What's on Tap Radio. Make sure that we have all this awesome content. Give them a call or reach out to them at Superior Pest dot Biz. All right, welcome back to What's on Tap Radio. If you are listening right now in your car, take a quick peek, just if it's safe to do so. Look in your rear view mirror, and if you see eight cars following you right now, do not call nine to one one. They are not chasing you.
Speaker 1: Chance that I'm just trying to get where they're kind of get to.
Speaker 3: So right, my guess is if you see, if you can actually see eight cars behind you, and you're listening to this program and you you understand what's happening, there are probably eight cars behind you. But in you're in, you're fine. They're not chasing you. But if you're on a lonely road and you look behind you and you think you see eight cars, pull over, get out, call an eight hundred number and get help because you're on something. So that's that's nuts right there. Oddly specific, I saw eight cars chasing me.
Speaker 1: What's scary is that she's, you know, drunk and high on cocaine. Driving through the mountains. It's hard to do that sober. I'm I'm gripping the wheel ten and two, knuckling it.
Speaker 3: Oh two anymore? I an if you heard that, Oh no, dude, talk talk to your students at the high school and ask them who've gone through drivers training. Ten and two is wrong?
Speaker 1: Now, well, I still do that because I am knuckling it very hard when I'm driving through the mountains. I can't imagine trying to dry.
Speaker 3: That absolutely ridiculous fun fact that you're gonna learn. Nobody's died in a school fire since the nineteen fifties, and yet we still practice fire drills in schools, and they've changed the procedures. They're now telling all the students to stay put well until the teachers go and check the hall to make sure it's safe to evacuate. I mean, talk about people trying to justify their existence, but I don't know, Yeah, I don't. We went off script there, James, open a beer.
Speaker 1: All right, So I'm gonna take a break from the bars ins and I got this beer the other Day's making a return. Speaking of a laboring company we're talk about very kid friendly and they're very patient with the kids. But making a return, speaking of hiding in the bushes and peeking at you, and I feel like I watched I am bringing the Murky Myers. Murky Murky Myers. Yeah, this is a very good beer. This is at eight point four percent. This is a hazy double India pale ale.
Speaker 3: Right now, this is the first Wait a minute, this is the first IPA of the show. Oh wow, yeah, you hear that, Matt, We waited fire Marshall. Matt gets a name drop right there because he hates IPAs, and you know you do is drink ip as. Just ip a heavy show. He sends me messages all the time too. It's like, well have you on the IPAs this week?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm drinking a lot of mars In's. I mean breaking up.
Speaker 3: Oh that's that's his wheelhouse man. That guy loves those brown ales ambers.
Speaker 1: It's got the haze to it.
Speaker 3: Very murky, very murky looking, by the way. Play on the Michael Myers from the Friday the thirteenth series. No Nightmare on elm Street sees no Evil Dead series. No, All right, that's at Chad Pilbeam.
Speaker 1: That's me. Quite the difference between the Mars and that was just tricky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and quite the difference between the movie Halloween, which that is based off of. In the movies I just.
Speaker 1: Mentioned Miricky Myers, no label Brewing Company eight point four percent alcohol by volume? Whoa eight point four? Sir?
Speaker 3: Jumping up with us?
Speaker 1: I brought to the table from the March soberfester Calvison Island Brewing Company. But you know, getting towards the end of the show, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can coast off in the sunset.
Speaker 1: With that one. Let's let the leg stretch out a little bit.
Speaker 3: That's right, all right. Well, you know we were talking about the trust the experts and everything. Well, experts over in the UK. I want to talk about this story because you know, if you say trust the experts, we're supposed to say, all right, trust, well, we'll trust you. I mean me, I like to say, well, what are your credentials? And experts over in the United Kingdom they want to screw with I don't know, three four hundred years of tradition, like wait, a minute. What Yeah, Yeah, if we're gonna mess with like three hundred and thirty years of tradition, let's go ahead and screw with beer. Nobody will get upset at all. Nah, it'll be fine. If you're not familiar with the United Kingdom, the traditional poor for a pint is nineteen point two ounces, to be exact, five hundred and sixty eight millileaters. Okay, uh, that is a traditional pint. It's a little bit bigger than our pint, imperial pint. Well researchers over in the United Kingdom, in an effort to boost world health. Yes, that's what they want to do to boost world health. We want to improve situations here. We're gonna start by going into the United Kingdom pubs and asking them to cut down on the size of their traditional pores. That's gonna say, save us finally, man, No, nope, we don't have to worry about a meteor hitting the earth, global warming, running out of fresh water. Nope, We're going to save the planet one pint at a time, well, one smaller pint at a time. Reducing the size of a traditional pint could help reduce the overall alcohol consumption. You don't say, if we made them smaller, people might drink less. Well, let's see what the what the results were, because they did the results and they said, what we want to do is go to a two thirds pint serving. And I'm like, wait a minute, two thirds. Now, we're not a show about math. But if you take nineteen point two and divide it by you know, three, and then multiply by two, you'll get to the number and it's less than nineteen point two. And that's what they're used to drinking. And they used they drink beer that's lower ABV. Traditionally they it's session beer over there, it's you know, three four five percent, you know, considered high over there. In most cases, in most pubs, people are drinking session beers where they can drink plenty of them. Well, they tested this out at a whopping embrace yourself folks, twelve venues and these were twelve participating venues, which represents exactly ready for this, one percent of the total number of pubs that were asked to participate. So they asked, they asked, all yeah, ninety nine percent of the people asked said no, thanks, we are not doing this. And the alcohol volume of beer dropped nine point six percent in sales during the four week trial, but wine consumption increased, so they traded one vice for another. And yeah, you're gonna start going ahead, and you're gonna start screwing with people's habits. You're gonna start screwing around with people's business. You're gonna tell people to sell less beer. Hey, listen, I know you're struggling right now, but we want you to sell less beer.
Speaker 1: Well, they've been drink They've been drinking this way since the sixteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: I know, I know. It's like, why would you go and tell a business? Look, look, look, I know you want to make money. I know you want to stay in business. But look that guy over there is getting fat, and you really and and and she's supposed to be home watching her kids. In fact, that lady over there, I just saw her at a University of Texas football game against U EL Monroe and her kid was drinking a Michelobaltra. You gotta cut her off. Man, you can't do this. I don't know where this idea rolled out.
Speaker 1: Here's what's gonna happen. They're gonna reduce the amount of the pints and then people are just gonna order more.
Speaker 3: That's right, right, you do two thirds? Like, well I only had two thirds, so I can have twice as many. It's like, oh, that's not how that works. Then that's what's gonna they're gonna do. They're gonna say you cut it down by a third, and they're gonna drink twice as many, and they're gonna drink more beer. I don't. It makes no sense what they're doing.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Because I remember I had a cagurator, right, Remember I was like, I got this cargurator. I'm gonna reduce amount of drinking because then I can control. Right, So rather than pouring a full pint of beer, I would just pour like an ounce, and then I would do that, and then I'm like, you know what, I want another ounce, and so I'll pour another ounce, not filling it, just pouring an ounce, and I'd go back about twelve times. You do the math, and it's like, wait, I should just poured myself a whole pint.
Speaker 3: And so I can.
Speaker 1: Imagine, all right, well, all right, damn well, I'm out of this beer, and I guess I'll just order another one.
Speaker 3: Because do you remember when we were in the iHeart radio studios, and I'm going to bring this up. This goes back in the day, and so if you don't this, this is science, this is evidence. We'd have brewers come into the studio and bring beers and they'd bring a couple of people with them. We'd have five or six people in there, and everybody would get two ounces of beer. How long did that beer last? Not long, but a couple of seconds, A couple of taste, a couple of tastes, it was gone. It's like, well, let's open another couple of taste couple. Let's open another a couple of taste couple. And it just and then next thing you know, we're like, it's time to take a walk down of the break room, get some water, and we're gonna wait. We're gonna wait an hour and a half before we leave. And then there were times it's like you know what time to call an uber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's get some coffee.
Speaker 3: Nobody's going home, nobody's leaving.
Speaker 1: So the UK feels that they're gonna save their citizens by reducing the amounts of a beer pints.
Speaker 3: Now if they only had a dental program. Oh wait, oh, sorry, is too far?
Speaker 1: All right, we got to take break still. We got some more UK news. There's this man protesting beer tax and I'm all for his protests. I'm all for a way he's protesting. And we got to talk about State Fair of Texas, new beer is revealing and all this so much more. Hang with us, more morning discuss. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: What's on tap for the term social drinker is taking on a whole new level. How about that first? What's your pleasure? Gather around and pour around. What's on tap? It's what's on tap radio?
Speaker 1: All right, continue our look what's happening across the pond and or what's on tap radio? Foreign stories? Look at this new story that I got across my desk. There's this man protesting, and I like what he's doing. Like what he's doing, Chad, hold on second?
Speaker 3: Is he, let's see, is he throwing molotov cocktails? Is he lighting tires on fire? Flipping cars? Is he smashing out windows of the local Starbucks?
Speaker 1: He's not chaining himself up to a park bench or a tree or a tree. He's not wanting in the traffic. He's not blocking, He's not blocking traffic, not doing any of that, not doing anything.
Speaker 3: Oh is he going up to local politicians while they're out for dinner and screaming in their face?
Speaker 1: Not even doing that? Wow? Not even doing that.
Speaker 3: Yes, wow.
Speaker 1: He's going on epic beer tax protest journey across the UK and his plan. He's on a mission to chug a pint of beer at each country's parliamentary constituencies to highlight issues with tax on food and drinks in pubs. So his name is j Chan. He's a former staffer of the Member of the Parliament who is from Birmingham, England. Chan has so far made it to pubs in sixteen different continuencies. He said, he's leaving six hundred and thirty four to go.
Speaker 3: Wait, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 1: Backup, They have a lot of continuencies in the UK.
Speaker 3: Aldo second, he's gonna chug how many pints?
Speaker 1: One pint? One pint?
Speaker 3: No, but how many total?
Speaker 1: There's over six hundred and thirty four. It was six hundred thirty four and seventeen sixteen.
Speaker 3: Six hundred and thirty four and sixteen is six hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, six hundred fifty there I go, so six hundred.
Speaker 3: And fifty different Oh my gosh, I want to think about this for a second. So and how long is this?
Speaker 1: Does he say along, Oh, this is gonna take a while. We're gonna discuss that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say this is gonna take a little while because I'm thinking, I mean, does he have a part time job or a full time job?
Speaker 1: Doesn't say He's already chugged pints in consumeracies in Birmingham and plans on making his way to quote unquote most of the Midlands in the near future. He says he was inspired to begin these campaign for pubs after a recent general election in the United Kingdom. He saw the struggles pubs were facing during the time working for a member of the Parliament. The reaction of patrons, Chan says shows the importance of pubs in the communities. Like we mentioned, you know, they play a very important part the pubs do to the community. We watched Taylasso, oh, you know, going around drinking the pubs. Additionally, with sixteen consiencies under his belt, he said he will continue to go forward with his campaign. The journey across the entire entirety of the United Kingdom will take about twenty years, he said, twenty years and is in the cost about four more than four thousand pounds and drinks alone. And to help defray the cost, Chan who's only eighteen years of age, has started to GoFundMe, which has so far has raised about two thousand pounds, which is about twenty six hundred dollars in US money. But apparently in twenty twenty two, the value added tax that that similar to the sales tax the United States, rose from twelve point five percent to a percent to twenty percent for tourism and hospitalitic. Yes, so he's protesting this by going to all six hundred and fifty parliamentary constituencies in the UK to bring the pub's communities together.
Speaker 3: So here's my I got it ask. I mean, I'm I'm all about the cause, you know, and and what I say in politics, a lot is is a lot of us agree on the cause and the outcome, but we don't agree on the solution. So you know, for example, I'm gonna use I'm gonna use a really rogue topic that we shouldn't talk about. Like Republicans and Democrats both agree guns should not be in the hands of people who shouldn't own guns, But it's how do we get there? And one group wants to ban all guns and the other one wants to say we need more education and start with where you agree. This guy right here says I'm not in favor of the tax on beer, so I'm going to protest it by going to every pub I can and chugging a beer, right to which I'm gonna say, if I'm in the Parliament, well, clearly you can afford the tax because you're going around chugging beer.
Speaker 1: He can't, though, because he's getting to go fund me to do this.
Speaker 2: Do this.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, Okay, then I'm gonna ask this. If the tax was lower, let's just say we got rid of the tax, could he still afford to go chug a beer in every pub? I like, I like the cause, I do love the.
Speaker 1: Cause, But from going from twelve point five percent to twenty percent, that's quite the jump.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's stupid, it's dumb.
Speaker 1: And so rather than throwing you know, the motov cocktail through the window, I get that, or blocking traffic or throwing paint on the wall, whatever these protesters are doing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right, Yeah, no fur.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, Uh, this man is just going on a beer tax journey across the UK, chugging a pint in all six hundred and fifty promentarycies.
Speaker 3: You heard it here first. And I don't know do we have the legal Do we have the legal disclaimer that we can pull up. I don't know if we have it, But if we have it, I don't know if it's available because our lawyers they told us we didn't have to play it for a while because you know, we we upped our insurance liability and they said, yeah, you're good for a while. But I'm gonna say this right now.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can do it. If you feel that it's necessary.
Speaker 3: Hit it.
Speaker 4: And now the legal mumbo jumbo, legal mumbo jumbo, that's a good beer name. Opinions stated by What's on Tap Radio and contributors to What's on Tap Radio are not to be considered as endorsed by this awesome radio station. You were urged to use your own discernment that's your brain for you dummies, and draw your own conclusions.
Speaker 3: Please drink responsibly. Cheers.
Speaker 1: It still makes me laugh that we actually have a llegal disclaimer because we have to have a legal disclaimer here.
Speaker 3: It is here. It is ladies and gentlemen, based on this right here, right now, you can go into any bar or pub or brewery you want, and they serve you a beer. You feel free to chug it. And if they did too to send you out, you say, no, I'm exercising my First Amendment right to free speech and I am protesting. What are you protesting? You don't have a right to ask me that. You can go ahead and say whatever you want, so, ladiess sovereign citizen, that's right. You can now go ahead and you now have free reign to chug anytime you want any establishment, and if they try and impede on your right to do so, you can say you're infringing on my first First Amendment right.
Speaker 1: I don't really feel like this is much of a protest more or less. It just is just his way of, you know, bringing the pups together, the community together. He's raising awareness if you will not, I.
Speaker 3: Guess I know, but I'm just saying I thought it was funny. That's He's like, wait a minute, I'm gonna chug beer. It's like, wait a minute. If somebody says, yeah, you can't chug that in here. You can't no chugging beer. But I'm protesting. Oh okay, go ahead, like all right.
Speaker 1: Hey, can I luck to this guy? His name's Jay Channing's eighteen years old and he's going across the UK visiting over six hundred and fifty pubs.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe you can run into our good friend Christine Mitchell in Scotland. And I say, good friend. She's not a good friend yet, but we should start on the show.
Speaker 1: We should get on the show.
Speaker 3: We should. She's thirty seven years old, she doesn't have much going on. I mean, she's a National Health Services biomedical scientist. She's a busy mom. I mean she's got things on her plate.
Speaker 1: And so I'm saying, child's being sarcastic. Okay, she's very busy. Yeah, yeah, exactly, because you're gonna get that one person to do it. Says to me, Look, she's busy.
Speaker 3: Chad, I know, yeah, quick, quick, playing it down. Well, she decided to throw her hat in the ring. The thirty seven year old was just hired by Aldi, the grocery chain as their official beer taster, where she's going to be sharing her feedback on the latest bruise and helping shape the supermarket's future product selection. Sounds like it came right the press release it did. But release, yes, it is well written. I mean it, it hit all the talking points. Journalism majors take note. All right, Christine's infectious enthusiasm for beer, coupled with her sharp scientific mind made her stand out amongst hundreds of applicants. All Right, you got it, she won the job. Here's the thing. I mean, she was excited that she got this gig.
Speaker 1: She should be excited. It's a great gig.
Speaker 3: Right, She's getting free beer right out of the deal. So I looked into this and I can't find if this is official. But I found the press press release from a year ago or two years ago when the first one was one announced and they received free beer in exchange for their feedback. And then I scrolled down and I looked and it said they're going to receive four pal als, three IPA's two beers, four siders, one stout, and one lagger which need to be tasted and reviewed. I'm like, okay, four and three, seven to is nine fours, thirteen, one and one is fifteen. You're getting fifteen drinks out of this for winning in a national competition.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sure she's getting paid.
Speaker 3: Well, no, she's getting nothing. Oh no, there's no no, there's no compensation for this.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well I wish she was gonna paid something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but boy, she'll she'll have lots of free time because she only has to sample a handful of beers.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Nothing in the press releases she's getting paid and all the other previous press releases say all you get is free beer.
Speaker 1: Okay, well there you go. Well, hey, congratulations to her, and we had to go.
Speaker 3: Christine Mitchell, I.
Speaker 1: Had no idea that. I had no idea there was even a job opening for it. I would have applied for it, all right.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, apparently got to put a quarter in the in the shopping cart to get the application.
Speaker 1: There you go, All right, we gotta take a break. Coming up in the last segment, let's discuss what beers are gonna be debuting at the State Fair this year. All this is so much more. In the last segment, we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Spilling a beer. Oh no, the adulto equivalent of letting go of a balloon. So like that last little bit of hair remaining on your head, Hold on tight to more of What's on Tap Radio.
Speaker 3: Tantrick Brewing Company proud sponsors of What's on Tap Radio. We want to thank them for joining us on the program each and every week and make it possible for us to bring you this fine radio program. You ever see me Chad Pilbeam, the Beer Logic guy hanging out there, stop in for free What's on Tap Radio High five.
Speaker 1: Like the saddest part of the show for me is when we have to introduce the last segment of the week. It's like we're kind of setting up to say goodbye, Well, we'll be back next week. The last segments of the show always brought to you by our friends over at Tantrick Brewing Company.
Speaker 3: I don't say think of it more like a crescenda where we it's the end of the concert and you and you get that laugh wow and you go out there kind of like whenever you're over at Tantrick Brewing Company, you're like and they say last call, and you're like, whoa, and then you realize after you got that last call, kind of like we get the end of the show. One more song, one more song, yeah, but then there's no encore after this. This is the last segment four of the week, and thank you Tantrick Brewing Company for bringing it to us. And uh, yeah, we've it's been a fun show. I got I gotta say. And I know I said that, like I was surprised, but you know, Harbor Light Bill's out on assignment. We brought in a new stunt beer Liver.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I had a beer that I didn't particularly care for. I got a beer out of the crisper drawer. James threw us all for a loop by not drinking an october Fest and then switching it up and going to a hazy I p A.
Speaker 1: I had a March toober Fest.
Speaker 3: Mar It's it's a it's just been. I was like, is this really all gonna come together?
Speaker 1: Okay, we always do, know what it does.
Speaker 3: All the ingredients are good and it just so happens that when you put them together, pretty darn tasty. And there we are, last segment of the week. And uh, James, I I know you wanted to talk about this story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take it home. We're talking about the State Fair, Texas happening now.
Speaker 3: This cracks me up here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, out in Fort Worth, it's a if you ever been, if you can make it out to the fort Worth State Fair, it's it's so much fun. A lot of food that will kill you, you know, unhealthy options. But hey, that's what the state fair is all about. But stay fair. Texas Staple is partneringhip with fort Worth with fort Worth's Martin House Brewing to sell its own I said, Martin House Brewing, said Martin House Brewing.
Speaker 3: Brace yourself, hold on your saddle, folks.
Speaker 1: Mustard beer on the fair grounds, on the fair ground this year. Yeah. When it comes to the condiment to put on Fletcher's Corny Dog, I don't know if you ever had a Fletcher's corny dog. Wow, it is so good, so good, but always got to put mustard on it. It's a staple. You get the Fletcher's Corny Dog and you put the mustard on it.
Speaker 3: But now they're telling, I love me a corn dog and I love mustard on it. In fact, a good friend of mine he sent me a picture and of this mustard beer he was drinking that you're talking about, Yes, and I and I said, I just said, what the hell's wrong with you? And you know what he did? He said it's actually really good.
Speaker 1: That's what they all say, and then you taste it and it's like.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, he said it was good, but yeah.
Speaker 1: So Fletcher's Corny Dogs announced on social that they're selling their signature mustard beer at the State Fair of Texas this year. Now, if you remember, we talked about this last year. The beer was first brewed in collaboration with fort Wortz Martin House and twenty twenty three for the second Glassy Fest. We talked about that last year, but this year they're actually bringing you back and selling it on the fair grounds for the first time. So that's exciting for it. And it's not the first time Martin House has delved into some strange bruise, which we spoke about many times in the past. The brewer has made hot dog water flavored Seltzer beer, made sour pickle beer, and Elphine beer brew with spaghetti maple syrup and M and m's what was the squidding beer Chad that we had?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that was so bad?
Speaker 1: And what was that? I had the roast beef, the French dip beer.
Speaker 3: You have the French dip one.
Speaker 1: I had a friend called Friend's dip and it was sixteen percent alcohol and it tasted just like that dip? Was it oju? Is that what they call it?
Speaker 3: A ju?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then yeah, and then I had the one. Yeah, I had the Buffalo Chicken Wing beer that tasted like liquefied chicken wings. And you're supposed to serve it in a pint glass rimmed with ranch dressing. Right, so wrong?
Speaker 1: But yeah. The Fletcher family debut the famous Corny Dogs at the State Fair at Texas back in nineteen forty two, and it became a staple at the State Fair of Texas each year, and in twenty twenty three, fun fact, Fletcher sold more than five hundred and eighteen thousand corny Dogs.
Speaker 3: The older I get, the more I relate to the old man yelling at the cloud. I really do. I'm just this, this is no get off my lot and I don't get this one. I don't And I will say you and I we did a beer tasting event when we were at Brewmaster's Craft Beer Festival on Galveston Island, and we went out and we were tasting beers and we had a friend of ours get up and talk about this and said, never pair like flavors together. So, for example, this one that you just talked about mustard beer with corn dogs in it, don't pair it with a corn dog and mustard because it's all just gonna blend together. It doesn't stand out. And I thought about this, and we try this with Buffalo Bayou's pineapple pineapple pineapple, and we tried it with a slice of pineapple, and we were like, you're right, this doesn't taste good. We tried a cinnamon beer with some cinnamon candies. They didn't taste right. I was like, it doesn't make sense to pare them like that because they overpower each other. But it doesn't stop people from going to great links to be able to pair these up. Because at the State Fair of Texas there's yet another beer pairing from Lakewood Brewing Company to pair up with the award winning I really want to try this cotton candy bacon on a stick.
Speaker 1: Cotton candy bacon on a stick.
Speaker 3: I know what you're thinking, this is cotton candy that tastes like bacon.
Speaker 1: So wait a minute, and you hang on cotton candy. So they take the bacon and they put on a stick, and then they put in that cotton candy thigh.
Speaker 3: You're talking right. See, it's not cotton candy that tastes like bacon. It's bacon on a stick.
Speaker 1: And then cotton candy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got it. It won the Big Text Choice Awards as the best New Food item at the Texas State Fair. So Lakewood Burn Company says, eh, let's make a beer to go with it. Russo's cotton candy Bacon on a Stick features honey smoke bacon hooked with a special seasoning and glazed with a secret cotton candy syrup. And then it's wrapped in fluffy cotton candy because you know you need more cotton.
Speaker 1: That sounds like so good. I'm like, I'm Homer Simpson right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know exactly, I know. Meanwhile, meanwhile, your insurance company is ready to cancel your policy because you're a cardiac arrested.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure my doctor's just yelling at me like you're in your forties, you're not in your twenties. You can't eat anymore.
Speaker 3: That's right. Lakewood's cotton Candy Bacon Blonde exclusively available at the State Fair, and the lake would bring tap room, and of course you can get all your other favorites there. You know, the press release. They gotta they gotta plug it. You know, it's like, hey, don't forget we're the official beer the Mustang Nation. You mean SMU Yeah that's two all right, yep, they are there, But I don't know about you. I'm I'm all in on this bacon cotton candy amazing.
Speaker 1: I bet you is amazing.
Speaker 3: But I don't want it with the beer. I want them completely separate. So I would if I were at the Texas State Fair, I would go get the ba Okay, I'm more intrigued by the bacon cotton candy.
Speaker 1: They have to sell it together, right they don't. You don't have to go across the fair grounds to get the beer, and then.
Speaker 3: They probably do sell together. But I want the bacon first, and then I'm gonna go eat some peanuts and some popcorn and maybe get a corn. Okay, here's what you do. You get your mustard corn dog beer, then you get your bac cotton candy snack. Then you get your mustard corn dog, and then you get your cotton candy bacon beer. Okay, gotta cleanse your palate.
Speaker 1: And then get a physical after that because that's gonna be cholesterol. Hell, the way, results may vary, results may vary a real quick. Before we get out of here, we got some breaking news. Anheuser, bush Ab and bev is tapping into the non alcoholic market, making available for the for January twenty twenty five michelob Ultra zero. Finally Yep, coming out. It's in twelve packs starting in January twenty twenty five. Of Yeah, michelob Ultra zero, a non alcohol Mikelope ultra Oh.
Speaker 3: This just in. At the University of Texas during the football game, the kid was drinking michelob Ultra zero.
Speaker 1: That's what it was. Wait and break it all together, all right, we gotta.
Speaker 3: Get that brought out yet. But that's what the kid was drinking.
Speaker 1: The music's drowning us out. But we gotta get out here before we do us give some things. Let's thank our advertisers someone to keep us on their radio each and every week. That being Tantrick Brewing, Severior Pest Control for your logical conference and events. We know it to make an insurance group. The factor a grill keeping the lights nice and bright here in studios, Harbor Light Brewing and of course sponsoring our podcast cast branding so for mister Biologic chap Hill, Vemi am Bergu Jamison saying thank you for checking out What's on Top Radio. We hope you enjoyed it and we hope that you could joined us for another action back of radio show which next week. Have a good week, folks, Cheers