Speaker 1: The Thinking Atheist. It's not a person, it's a symbol, an idea.
Speaker 2: The population of atheists this country is going through.
Speaker 1: The rule, rejecting faith, pursuing knowledge, challenging the sacred. If I tell the truth, it's because I tell the truth, not because I put my hand on a book and made a wish and working together for a more rational world.
Speaker 2: Take the risk of thinking.
Speaker 3: Feel so much more happiness.
Speaker 2: Truth, Fusian wisdom will come to you that way.
Speaker 1: Assume nothing, question everything, and start thinking. This is the Thinking Atheist podcast hosted by Seth Andrews.
Speaker 2: So Natalie and I went to the theater to go see the Odd to see on the big screen, and yes, it's amazing. I know there are a few who came out who were underwhelmed, but they are a very few. We went in, and we don't go to the theater all that often anymore. I think some of it is that our four K widescreen experiences at home have gotten better. Part of it for me is the rudeness in theaters. Big announcement comes on, please turn off your cell phone, be quiet and courteous to others. Five minutes later, somebody pulls a freaking cell phone out because they just can't go ten minutes without scrolling social media or sending a text about the movie they're watching. It just makes my blood boil. And you know, occasionally there is a film that comes out you're like, I got to see it. This is a theater experience. So we went to go see it on a big premium screen in Tulsa and it was. It was amazing, two hours, forty five minutes, but that time just flew. I would totally go go out and see it again tonight. And it gives me great joy to see The Odyssey just raking in the cash at the box office after so many of these right wing agents of manufactured outrage were predicting its demise. This is a woke movie. It's a di movie. This is just social commentary. It's part of the culture war right, Christopher Nolan, he's just pining four awards, which is why he added such a diverse cast. What political correctness this is? Elon Musk, have you beyond Donald Trump? Have we ever seen a more malcontented, whiny, bitchy manchild. The guy has almost a trillion dollars. He's freaking richer than rich richest man On the planet, richest man in the history of man. He should be on top of the world. He should be happy, he should be living his best life. Have you noticed that all he does is whine and complain and agitate and stir the pot and just be childishly nasty. Explain this to me. He has a mean streak and a nasty restlessness. And I just think you of all people, right, You're supposed to be the greatest American success story, and all you do is bitch about life. What is it about the Odyssey that bothers you so much? Well? He and Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh and a bunch of other right wingers, they've decided that this is nothing but DEI nonsense. They would have offended Homer, by the way, somebody explain the sexuality of the ancient Greeks. It's when to go back and let's get into what all that was. I don't know what he's thinking about. One of the big they're actually two big problems for Elon and Ben Shapiro, et cetera. Fox News they were losing their minds. The first one, obviously, there is the casting of black actor Lupita Niango as Helen of Troy. Well, they wanted apparently another white person. They saw Diane Krueger as Helen of Troy and the film Troy from like twenty years ago, and they're like, ah, yeah, the face that launches a thousand ships would obviously be white. And I like Diane Krueger. I thought she was so good in Inglorious Bastard's and some other films, but I just never bought her. I never saw the charisma in that particular film with Diane Krueger, but I sure saw it with Lupita Niango in this one. There's a magnetism there that that character requires. It was so freaking good. And the people who were losing their minds about the casting had not seen a frame of the film beyond the trailer, right, They hadn't seen what they were criticizing. And of course the big one transactor Elliot Page as sign on. Except they thought that Elliot Paige was playing Achilles. And there were whole there were articles and blogs and YouTube protest videos and news reports lamenting the fact that the Great Achilles would be played by diminutive transactor Eliot Page. This is the stomping on Homer's grave. I think that's what Elon Musk actually said. It's like we're dancing, we're stomping on the grave of Homer. But of course Elliot Page played sign On. I don't think sign On was actually a character in Homer's Odyssey. I think sign On may have been added as a character for the film version. And Elliot Page is really really good. I didn't see it as stunt casting or some DEI exercise. I mean Elliot Page, as Ellen Page had already starred in a previous Christopher Nolan film, Inception, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. They had a relationship. Elliot Page a fantastic actor. Why not? What's the problem? What does this take away from Elon Musk and Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh in the host of Fox News. They are simply stoking the culture war. This is a woke exercise by people who don't understand that true awesomeness is caucasion. Now, Elon Musk, he's got his panties in such a wad over this that he has decided he's going to use his Grock AI engine to make his own full length AI Odyssey film and release it. And I am guessing that that thing is going to be so white you would be able to see it from space. These conservative experts were predicting that the film would fail. Americans don't want this, the world doesn't want this. Why are you forcing diversity, equity inclusion down our throats. The whole thing's going to crash and burn. I look forward to seeing the egg on Christopher Nolan's face. Hey, wait a minute. The thing opens to ninety seven percent audience thumbs up reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I think the critics on Rotten Tomatoes are at ninety plus percent. It made a ton of money in its opening weekend and continues to vacuum up box office dollars. It is a front runner for the Best Picture of twenty twenty six and it's not even August yet. This thing is a runaway success. And I would go back and see it in the theater tonight. It's beautiful. Christopher Nolan, he sometimes frustrates me. He's genius level smart. Sometimes I think he outsmarts himself. But if you haven't seen the movie that put him on the map, it's called Memento starring Guy Pierce. It's a brain twister. It's a little bit of work. I mean, you really got to pay attention. You can't just leave and go to the bathroom and make popcorn and come back and pick up where you left off. You got to pay attention. But you will be rewarded if you do. I mentioned inception, which I just love. I see something new every time I watch the movie The Dark Night, considered by many one of the greatest superhero movies ever made. There's a lot to love about Interstellar, although the ending confuses me. The last thirty minutes I don't get I still don't get. I've had it explained to me, and I don't get it. He's flying around in the thing in the black hole, and there's a library made of string that takes them through time, and he's able to go communicate with his daughter when she was a child using the floating dust and something about the universal power of love transcending space.
Speaker 4: Time and what.
Speaker 2: I didn't understand that I didn't huh, But I mean there's some amazing stuff in it. Dunkirk. Actually, I'm one of the few people who didn't fall ahead over heels for Dunkirk. I just didn't. I mean, everybody's like it's one of the greatest war movies ever made. I appreciate the story of Dunkirk, but I left the movie theater irritated. And it's because of one common problem that Christopher Nolan has, especially when he teams up with composer Hans Zimmer, not always, but often, and that has to do with an irritating sound design that makes the movie harder to appreciate. Anybody remember Bain's voice in the Dark Knight Rises. It was purposefully made to be hard to understand. Listen to Christopher Nolan talk about it. I mean they even had to go back and clean it up in post production because it was so bad, and it was still very hard to understand. Yes, the fire rose ough irritating, and Dunkirk, especially when Tom Hardy's flying the plane over the ocean and the ships are going it's like two and a half hours of having a voove Zela horn jammed into your ear canal. Just I mean, it was irritating. Interstellar had a few of those types of audio issues. Tenant Tenant sound. The dialogue in Tenant is almost impossible to understand without captions. I tried it again at home. I had to turn captions on for a movie spoken in my native language. By the way, somebody explained the plot of Tenant to me. Even a fan, if you're a fan of the movie, explain Tenant to me. So it was interesting to look at. But I left with kind of a what the hell expression on my face, swung for the fences and missed with Tenant. But I appreciate the ambition. At least it wasn't a formula film. Oppenheimer, Come on, name for me a better film about the Manhattan Project. I mean, and I loved Fat Man and Little Boy and its depiction of Robert Oppenheimer. But Oppenheimer the film outstanding, and the film after that, The Odyssey. It challenges you, it entertains you, and there's some stuff on screen that I'm like, how did they do that? Practically, get a ticket, go see it afterwards, we'll talk, okay. Anyway, I just wanted to start with a little film recommendation. I guess we all like to do our movie reviews as if we know what we're talking about. We all like to go and say I saw it, and I give it five stars, but I'm giving it I'll give it five or at least four and a half. But I'm pushing five stars. I had that much fun. Nice to be rewarded when you pay that much for a movie ticket. Okay, let me take a hard turn here and tell you about something that just crossed my newsfeed. My algorithm is just awesome. You just never know. For example, I might see something political the news of the day. The next post might be something about the Satanic Temple, and the documentary about TST is now trending again on HBO. It's called Hail Satan. After that, there might be a clip from a bad eighties movie, because I love bad eighties movies. And then look, there's something from the Baptist news site. This article just posted a few days ago. And I guess I got to start with the scenario. So clear your mind and let me make the picture. You build the image in your brain. Okay, So picture the typical right wing evangelical conservative dude in the manosphere in a culture where we see Mark Driscoll. He's asserting that men need to run the world. You've got Pastor Douglas Wilson, he wants to repeal the Nineteenth Amendment. You got the Southern Baptist Convention. They just banned women from preaching. You've got this whole idea that God is the head of man, and man is the head of everything and everyone else. How convenient for them. But men struggle with lust, and women are the object of lust, those women who refuse to dress modestly but actually show their shape, or maybe even when they don't. And a man's imagination goes wild anyway, and lo and behold, he is affected and erected. His ronald has a McDonald. The elevator is rising, he has a stimulus package. Uh oh uh oh, we got sin going here, uncontrolled lustful thoughts. Whatever will he do well? A couple of guys who say they have struggled with addictions to pornography, temptation, and lust, And don't they sound like they be super safe to be around. They are starting men only gems for Christian guys. One of them's in Oklahoma City. It's Already Open was founded by a guy named Jeff Hambrecked. He has named it Proverbs twenty seven seventeen fitness. Doesn't that roll off the tongue? Hey, where are you going to work out? I'll be down the street at Proverbs twenty seven seventeen fitness. Yeah, that's super catchy, looking forward to the marketing campaign on that one. By the way, if you're not sure what Proverbs twenty seven seventeen says, it reads as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. And if that verse sounds strangely homo erotic, you are already onto the angle that I'm about to take. Care. There's another guy. His name is Mitch Parsons, and he's opening a man only Christian workout fitness facility in Denver. It's still under construction. It's called Remnant Gym. He said he had gone to other fitness facilities, one after the other after the other, and it was nothing but struggle. He said there were women working out next to him who were shoving their nakedness in his face. Okay, I'm just trying to go and work out. Quote. I had to choose between honoring the Lord, honoring my wife, and guarding my eyes or training my body. So I quit four gyms. Now, you know, he's not working out in a three piece suit. The guys in shorts and maybe a muscle shirt or no shirt or whatever. And he's over there hot and sweaty, but he doesn't get blasted for shoving his nakedness in anybody else's face. No, No, it's the woman. That's not the Harlot, the Jezebel. She's over there shoving her nakedness in his face. There are two angles that I'm taking in my brain. The first is but the guy can't control his own heartened mind. This is how he sees women like he sees them, but he sees them only as objects. He only perceives nakedness. He can't even look the other direction. But if once you keep your eyes on your own paper man or these people are just gay and they haven't admitted it to themselves or other people yet, I'm going to create a big box full of sweaty men. We're going to put a no woman sign on the door. Let's see what happens next. Right, And the people, the people who are banging their bibles so much about sexual sin, these are always the people to watch the closest. They're always the people who end up being exposed with some sexual sin. They're either a serial cheater, they're creeping online sometimes to miners, or or they've been having same sex twists, sometimes with people who are part of their own religious group. The easy example Ted Haggard megapastor Denver, Colorado. He's preaching against gays every freaking five minutes. When he is exposed. What is he exposed doing. He's sexting a dude in his congregation. Let me pull up that Christopher Hitchins quote about the moralizers. This was from his book hitch twenty two and Memoir twenty ten that the year before he died, he wrote these words. He said, whenever I hear some big mouth in Washington or the Christian Heartland banging on about the evils of sodomy or whatever, I mentally enter his name in my notebook and contentedly set my watch sooner rather than later, he'll be discovered down on his weary and well worn old niece in some dreary motel or life train with an expired visa card, having tried to pay well over the odds to be peed upon by some apache transvestite. And you and I already going through the Rolodex in our brains. Of the pulpit pounders who were later exposed. Jimmy Swagger was big in the eighties televangelist, televangelist who was on stage and he was moralizing left and right, that guy paid more prostitutes. Okay, fine, engage a sex worker, right, I mean that's legitimate work, that's fine, But aren't you on stage preaching the exact opposite of what you're doing. I pulled it up online, because the Internet has everything almost With a Google search, I was able to take us back forty some years as Jimmy Swaggered freshly busted in another sexual sin engaging a prostitute. He's standing in front of like twenty thousand people in an auditorium. This sermon broadcast globally two millions, and he is shedding the tears of remorse, regret to end repentance. Check this out.
Speaker 5: I have sinned against you, my lord, and I would ask that your precious foot.
Speaker 3: Wood wash and clints.
Speaker 6: Every stain.
Speaker 7: Until it is in deceas of God's forgetfulness.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, h yeah, Is he still alive? Hang on, Jimmy swaggered. Jimmy swaggered. Oh he died. Oh he died just last year, July the first. His wiki page has him known for scandals involving prostitutes in nineteen eighty eight and nineteen ninety one, and he was associated with revolutionary groups accused of war crimes in Southern Africa. He had been defrocked by the Assemblies of God denomination, and so he moved on to become a non denominational minister of the Gospel. Well lucky us. Anyway, short break, I'm going to take your calls and find out what's on your mind. Next next week, I'm releasing the video and the audio from the recent event with myself and No Illusions on stage in Cincinnati. A lot of people who couldn't make it to the event. Will you release it online? The answer was yes. The footage came out pretty well, and so I'll have an audio version here and a video version. It's two and a half hours of really good stuff I think you will enjoy real fast. Before I go to the switchboard, a piece of housekeeping that is being forced upon me and is being forced upon Patreon. Okay, so Patreon has made an announcement that November one, everybody's going to be required to switch their subscription model. Some people right now can choose. They can choose to support me with a certain dollar amount every month, or they can support me with a certain amount per post, per thing that I upload. Well, Apple is saying no, we're not going to let you do that. If you want to keep your access to using our app for releases, the biggest podcast app on the planet right if you really want us as part of the release options, you can't use the per post model. It's subscription only. We require it, And so now Patreon's hand has been forced the deadline November the first. If you are a patron doing a per upload sponsorship, you're going to need to go and make the switch, or I think Patreon might make it for you. You to get in front of that, just log onto your account and subscribe for whatever dollar amount you want per month. If you are not a patron, I would encourage you or ask for your support, and when you sign up, it is a monthly subscription, a dollar amount of your choosing for all the content that you get on the show. Sorry for the trouble. I think Patreon staff is just as frustrated as all the content creators out there. Just a big and unnecessary switch. But Apple's like, oh yeah, well, screw everybody, We do what we want. We're Apple, and many of us rely on that platform to get the word out. It's the ultimate catch twenty two. Okay, let's go to the phones. Greg is dialing in from area code for zero nine. Welcome Greg, Are you there?
Speaker 8: Oh yes, we're just a couple of things. I did want a story out, and I'll try and take you too much time.
Speaker 2: For your funnel.
Speaker 8: I am not a caller, but number one, I'm almost sixty. About six years ago, I drive a lot for work. Hitchins got his great audio books started the ball rolling on my deconstruction. I was a full blown Southern Baptist, indoctrinated from birth Christian. The next book that got me was Doctor Richard Dawkins, and then yours was the one that finally helped me shut the door on this. And it was because the Hitchens and Dawkins, two beautiful authors and masters the English language. Where you got me was here's a guy in Oklahoma. I'm down here in Southeast Texas. He raised just like me, dealt with all this and it just I just want to share with you. And I was fortunate enough to come to hear you at the Houston Oasis last year.
Speaker 2: So wow.
Speaker 8: Anyway, I wanted to ask the ten Commandments, which we now have posted and my eight grandkids have to endure in their classrooms every day. The first literally one verse lower, starts a litany of I think the first one is pale. You know, if a slave creates a family while he's enslaved and he's free, he has to leave his wife and children with the master. The next one goes on to how a father can prostitute his daughter legally, And it goes on, how come these ten got all the attention and nobody pays attention to the next fifteen or so that come after. It would be one question.
Speaker 2: Now punctuate the frustration. Plus, I think the first four commandments have nothing to do with behavior. They're all about God's vanity. Thou shall have Noah, thou shalt love the Lord. I'm like, come on, give me a break, right, And.
Speaker 8: The next question I've got for you. I am from this area. Where I'm at in southeast ex Is, about seventy miles east of Houston. I did live in California for about eight years, about fifteen years ago, and that ruined Texas even more for me? How have you dealt with everywhere I go? I have gotten to where I'm in the last six years, damn near a hermit because I can't stand to be around these people. And plus, when I know somebody voted, maga, I'll just be up. I have Asperger's. I can't get it out of my head what they've done. How do you go out and about and lead your life in a more protective manner than I am doing right now? Once you've seen who these people really are and you're surrounded with them.
Speaker 2: Well, I crawl everywhere in the prone position. Greg That's pretty much how I navigate the state of Oklahoma. There's a guy at the end of my street. I took a photo of his dashboard because he parks his truck backward and he keeps a Trump hat in the dash so it acts as kind of a de facto billboard for Trump whenever he parks in that direction. And I was walking by and I was like, God, you gotta be shitting me. And so I took a picture, and I'm like, this is what we have to deal with. And I've distanced myself from a lot of people. I feel a tremendous sense of resentment, not just that they voted for the insanity that's around us, but even those people who were kind of quiet quitting Trump, you know, and they're like, eh, we didn't know he was going to do this. We didn't realize it was going to be like that. And they're playing that card. They're still not standing shoulder to shoulder with me to protest it. They just went mute. And I resent that, you coward, get off the fucking couch. You know, Fascism is all around us, white supremacies around us, hate and cruelty and suffering and all this stuff. And I just don't think they get to decide to quietly leave the club without consequence. If you're truly full of regret, then get your ass out here and let's undo some of the damage that your vote did. And because they don't, I have withdrawn from them. So my circle has gotten smaller. And I don't you know, there was some greg who think I should continue to engage them to try to help them reverse course further. Maybe there's a way to encourage them to join me that I've missed, but I'm out of patience. I just don't want to be around them, and that's I think ten years produces a lot of scard tissue. You must feel the same way if you become a hermit.
Speaker 8: Oh very much so. And my wife deconstructed shortly after I did. She was a cradle Catholic. I'll show you where she was at when we started going. She goes, yeah, but I don't believe in hell, and that kind of started me. Actually, if I give you my credit, it's kind of her in the very first But we've been together about sixteen years. But I have gotten to where and I've heard you talk about DoorDash before we door dash all week in long. I don't want to go anywhere. I don't want to be in restaurants with these people, and it's just very frustrating. And I know that says more about me than it does them, but I was just kind of curious how you've dealt with that. And I've got one last question. The word cacistocracy is the most accurate term I have found what we're living through. Why is that not being used.
Speaker 2: More weavin I've never heard the word. Is it a C or a K It's a k.
Speaker 8: K k istocracy and it simply means government by the worst of the country and that's literally you can you look it up. I just don't understand. I think this is the first time in my six decades we really are under a cacistocracy. And anyway, I just wanted to throw them down there at the end. But I sure appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, Greg, I appreciate the kind words about the book. So you were like me, right, Adam and Eve in the garden and you salute the flag under God and the pledge. We are a Christian nation. We walk those steps together.
Speaker 8: I was the Texas State Bible Drill champion at twelve years old.
Speaker 2: Now, explain Bible drill to people who don't know what it is.
Speaker 8: They take indoctrinated children in evangelical churches and they do speed searches for Bible verses, so they'll throw out, you know, find Philippians such and such, and whoever gets at first wins. And at twelve years old, I went to the through the regionals in some state thing that I can't remember, and I was the state Bible Girl champ at twelve years old.
Speaker 2: There was a Christian TV station that had the Bible Bowl and it was a televised game show. Yeah, and it was in the round and there were kids all all around and they would bring two contestants up family feud style and they would throw out a verse or a word or whatever. Some associative thing, and there was a buzzer and then whoever was able to recite chapter and verse first would win that round. And it was it was wild, and I remember wanting as a kid to go and participate in the Bible Bowl. I just thought they'd be amazing to be on TV doing the Word for Christ kind of thing.
Speaker 8: And the thing that's best about it though, I know that thing backwards, forwards, up and down better than any frushing I know. And when you try to point out things in it, and you know, obviously we've you know, I've heard you do this for all these years. But you try and point out, it's just they have got such a lock on this is the Bible. God, that's it. I believe it. And to where when you point out, well, no, that's not really what this is. And Jesus never said a single word about abortion, he never said a single word about gays. It's just they've got it so indoctrinated that Jesus did that. That's where you know they go. And it's just the Dunning Kruger here in southeast Texas is amazing. I'd have to find the article we were Jefferson County, Texas is quite literally the least educated county in all of the United States, and it shows. But like I said, it's not productive in the four years I have before retirement to live in my house and not go out amongst of them. So just was kind of kind of curious you approach. What do appreciate it?
Speaker 2: You man? I mean, I think, go where you're accepted, go where you're comfortable, and enjoy your retirement. I appreciate your enthusiasm and goodwill. I appreciate the kind words about the book. You know, Deconverted was not it ain't Hitchens right. I mean, I'm proud of it. At the same time, I know it's just some schlub mashing away at a keyboard telling his story. I know I am not a great mind. I'm just but I think maybe that's part of the appeal. I think a lot of people are like, oh, some dude is on a similar journey as to what I took, and I can relate to it, and there's power in that. So I've stopped apologizing for my own work as much. So I was glad to hear you say that.
Speaker 6: Greg.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 8: I will say you do not need to apologize in the least I am a college professor also, and your book hit me where I needed it to meet me. So there is no Yes. Hitchens and doctor Dawkins are just masters of the English language in a way I will never be. But your book was the one that hit me right in the soul. If I can say it that way.
Speaker 2: No, I feel you.
Speaker 8: I need it at the time.
Speaker 2: I'm feel you well. Thank you, Greg, and I appreciate you so much being a part of the conversation today. I'm going to get into this. Is it cacus stock? Am I saying it right?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: Or kak?
Speaker 8: And then the rest is just like.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna I gotta look this up. So you educated me and I'm going to dive a little deeper. You'd be safe out there.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, hey, thank you.
Speaker 2: Let me see you later. You know, now that I think of it, congratulations. You just named this week's podcast. How can I not call it cacustocracy. I pulled up a website on this big think dot Com has an explanation. I'm just going to read it cold. It talks first about prefixes in front of our words, which are often derived from Greek terms. Demo means people, so it's democracy. Auto means one, so it's autocracy, aristos excellent or aristocracy, but cacistocracy it means worst rule a government buy the worst or least qualified people, like kleptocracy, rule by thieves, plut chrissy ruled by the rich. No government has ever claimed to be any of these things, but it is a common insult of late What does it mean? Typically the word is used as an insult toward those who are seen as too moronic to be in government. The previously obscure word dates back to the English Civil War and has made a comeback in the last few decades. It regained popularity in the nineteen eighties, was aimed at dan Quayil several times after that, and is currently so popular that even the Miriam Webster Twitter feed had to chime in, oh I got to come back to dan Quayle. There's a memory with George H. W. Bush and his vice president, dan Quayle. The guy was an idiot. What is meant by the least qualified? The article continues, That's a good question. While Machiavelli would suggest there are objectively good virtues for statesmen to have, there's going to be general disagreement on what those are or how to live up to them. Even if we judge a ruler based on the consequences of their rule, how much do we say was their work and how much was luck? Such large questions tend to get swept aside, though some commentators do address them in a limited way, and it starts to list some cacistockracis. Now I got to dive into this. It begins with Romulus Augustus, ruling from four seventy five to four seventy six C. The last emperor of Western Rome. Romulus Augustus was ironically named for the founders of the city and the empire. A usurper, his father took over the government and placed his son on the throne. This made him few friends, and the eastern half of the empire never recognized him. He is most notable for refusing to surrender most of Italy to barbarians invaders. Those invaders then killed his father, sacked the capital, Ravenna, and compelled Augustus to abdicate. The Senate then appealed to the Eastern Roman Empire to reunite Rome rather than have to find a new emperor for themselves. His abdication is typically viewed as the official fall of the Western Roman Empire, a notable enough failure to make it to our list. Next up, they have a photograph of Nicholas the Second of Russia. Eighteen ninety four to nineteen seventeen was his reign. He was the final Czar of Russia. He had no business running an empire. His father failed to educate him on how to rule, never even granting him a ministry before his ascension to the throne. This left Nicholas utterly unprepared to rule anything. He meddled in the affairs of the Church in hopes of increasing the odds he had a son, only took steps to protect his Jewish subjects from Pegram's reluctantly. Was so detached from his responsibilities that he continued to play tennis after learning that the Russian fleet had been annihilated. At one point during the nineteen oh five Revolution, he was so ideologically against accepting a constitution as part of a peace deal that his uncle and the chief of the army, Grand Duke Nicholas, had to hold a gun to his own head and threatened suicide before the czar would accept the peace deal. His Court was a madhouse run by favorites, which allowed for such unsavory characters such as Resputin to come to hold great power and influence. He was overthrown in nineteen seventeen and shot in nineteen eighteen by Communist revolutionaries. This is a fascinating list. I'm going to continue. James Buchanan eighteen fifty seven to eighteen sixty one the the fifteenth and worst president of the United States. I'm gonna say this is an older article. I think this may be a tad dated. I'm not going to scroll up to see the date, but I mean worst. Hey, hang on, the worst president of the United States in almost every ranking. Buchanan's administration was filled with missteps, ideological purity to the point of insanity, and grave misreading of popular sentiment. From day one, before he was even inaugurated, Buchanan encouraged the Supreme Court to make as broad and pro southern a ruling in the Dread Scott case as possible, in an attempt to put the slavery debate to rest forever. I got to jump out real fast and explain Dred Scott was an enslaved African American back in This is right before the Civil War, and he and his wife Harriet had sued to free themselves and their two daughters. And so this to court in eighteen fifty seven dred Scott versus Sanford. They argue that because dred Scott had lived in Illinois and parts of the Wisconsin territory, that he should not be held as a slave. Slavery was illegal in those northern regions therefore, and it all went to court and he lost. That was a famous case that went to the Supreme Court seven to decision against him. Back to the article. President Buchanan was shocked to find that those opposed to slavery were further enraged by the ruling. He went to fumble the issue of admitting Kansas to the Union so badly that it split the Democratic Party. A committee designed to investigate potentially impeachable offenses found his administration was the most corrupt in American history. He's most often vilified for his lame reaction to Southern secession after Lincoln's election, as he believed both secession and federal intervention against it illegal and did nothing. He even got his legacy wrong, remarking on his deathbed that he would be vindicated. While most of the examples were monarchs who were put into power and difficult to remove, the inclusion of an elected official shows how occasionally people will vote in utter incompetence to run a country. You think, you think. While the question of if these three governments were the worst can be debated, there is no doubt that these three leaders had no business ruling when their decisions, motivations, and results are considered. Is the United States a cacistocracy? Perhaps, though the seriousness of the word means it is one not to be tossed around lightly, as it would impair our ability to use it later. There have undoubtedly been governments run by the worst possible ministers and rulers before than it is likely to happen again. The article that Big Think by Scottie Hendricks. Okay, let me scroll up and see the date on this April sixteenth, twenty eighteen. Scotty buddy, if you meant that Buchanan was the worst president of all time period, we got some trouble there. But if you were saying that Buchanan was the worst president to that time, that's just a poor use of language.
Speaker 4: F y.
Speaker 2: I Now let me come back to dan Quayle, and I pulled up a couple of audio clips. There are whole websites dedicated to some of the crazy and dumb ass Cacus stock Ristie style shit that dan Quayle said when he was Vice President of the United States sunder George HW. Bush from nineteen eighty nine to nineteen ninety three. And I just well, let's start with this one. As dan Quayle educated the world on Hitlerism.
Speaker 7: Millions in people lost their lives because of the bigotry and Hitlerism that permeated Germany and other parts of the world.
Speaker 2: It was an.
Speaker 9: Obscene period in our nation's history, not our nations.
Speaker 2: But in World War Two. I mean we all lived.
Speaker 9: In this century. I didn't live in the century, but in this century's history because we did not have a matter of fact, we fought Hitlerism, which was atalitarian form of government.
Speaker 2: Now imagine four years of stuff like that, plus the time on the campaign trail. The acoustics in dan Quayle's skull must be amazing. He once said, I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people. Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. He once said, I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix. September fifth, nineteen ninety, he said for NASA, space is still a high priority. He actually uttered the words it isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it. Hang on, here's just another short montage of Quail in his own voice.
Speaker 10: The question is whether we're going to go forward to tomorrow or we're going to go past to the back.
Speaker 11: And I can tell you listen.
Speaker 10: We don't want to go back to tomorrow.
Speaker 9: We want to move forward.
Speaker 8: I believe that I've made good.
Speaker 10: Judgments in the pass, and I think I've made good judgments in the future, and the future will be better tomorrow. Well, Bobby Knight told me this.
Speaker 5: He says, there.
Speaker 10: Is nothing at a good defense cannot be a better offense.
Speaker 9: In other words, a.
Speaker 10: Good offense wins. I was known as the chief grave robber of my state. I have a very strong record on the environment in the United States. Center why it has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific.
Speaker 2: It is in the Pacific part of the United States. That is an island that is right here, Hawaii. It is an island in the Pacific. Thank you, Vice President Dan Quayle cacustocracy. Okay, Well, I can't do quail if I don't bounce forward and do Trump. The problem is, after a decade of daily insanity and stupidity, how do you even begin? But I want to start with this clip, okay, And it just posted a few days ago. It was made by a guy who kind of does what the good liars do and the Daily Show does. They go out to these Trump rallies and interview people to try to find out if they know what in the actual hell they are talking about. The guy in question here, his name is Dean Withers, and he was out at a Trump rally. There was somebody dressed up as they always are, in Trump paraphernalia, and he had a conversation about Biden creeping on women. Check this out.
Speaker 6: Something actually came out this morning that was huge, okay, because we got another release from a House subcommittee about the Epstein files. And you're not going to believe this, but what came out was an audio clip that's been verified of Joe Biden saying that he likes to walk into the dressing rooms of naked women and naked girls to look at them. What do you think should happen to a man that does that? I think they should go to jail, even if they're like the sitting president.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, no, end's above the law, right.
Speaker 6: Even if it was Trump? Sure, sure, So I'm gonna be honest, I lied to you. The audio is not of Joe Biden saying that he likes to go into the changing rooms and naked women. The audios of Trump saying it, let's go and take a listen. We had another twenty seconds.
Speaker 5: You it's your obligation to do that.
Speaker 6: So you have done.
Speaker 5: Is then I'll go backstage before show and everyone's getting dressed. I'm ready and everything else and no pay where allowed to go on because I'm the owner of the pageant and therefore I'm inspecting it.
Speaker 2: You know, guys will be guys, right, haven't you said shit like that?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 6: So before you guys, No, I haven't said anything like that.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 6: So the argument before you, the argument before you knew it was Trump, was that they should go to jail, even if they're the sitting president. But now that you know it's Trump, it's no longer thrown in jail.
Speaker 11: And now it's there's no there's no law against sat there's.
Speaker 6: No log against sexual exploitation, no lag against talking.
Speaker 5: Like a new.
Speaker 2: Wow. Cults are gonna cult, aren't they. It's a cacus stock Grissy. It's the worst, the most moronic, the most terrible, who are being propped up, supported and worshiped by the stupid, moronic, terrible. I swear to you, I was going to play a montage from Donald Trump, just a few of the things, the horrible and moronic and terrible and stupid, awful things that he said and done. First of all, I didn't know where to start. Secondly, I cannot stand the sound of his voice. I can't. I'm not going to do it to you, and I'm not going to do it to me. But I mean, I'm just going through my mental rolodex. Just in relative recent history. Anybody remember when there was that Washington, DC plane crash January of last year, right the American Airlines plane crashed into the Blackhawk helicopter. Dozens of people die. First thing that happens. Donald Trump goes to public and he blames DEEI, oh, you know, it's it's minorities, it's black people, it's women in the cockpit, that's the problem. And you know who put that stuff in place. It was Obama Biden. I mean, it's just crazy, especially understanding that during the Biden administration there were zero commercial airline crash fatalities out of millions of planes that had been in the air. Remember when Trump said that Denmark doesn't have the right to Greenland despite the fact that it belongs to Denmark. Excuse me. He vowed to bring back plastic straws because paper straws explude wind mills are causing cancer in Wales. And he was talking to an audience of voters in twenty twenty four, he said that he was the father of IVF in vitro fertilization. What what He suggested the purge as a way to perhaps solve crime. Anybody see the Purge movies. The whole idea is this so that the public can get all the violence and lawlessness out of its system. There is one day designated every year where anything goes. You can go out and you can torture and rape and murder and do whatever you want, and there are no punishments, there's no penalty, there's no consequences. Twenty four hours, you can go out and be the worst version of yourself. And Donald Trump's like, you know, if we were to have a purge day, it might help us, you know, in just a twelve hour period. I think it's what he suggested. He wanted to change the term for AI artificial intelligence. He said, and I quote, you know, I don't like anything that is artificial, So can we straighten that out? We should change the name. Of course, he's a name changer. He's still calling the Gulf of Mexico the Gulf of America while pretty much no one else in the world is. Oh. By the way, Trump is also an activist when it comes to American grass. Okay, fine, I'll play this one audio clip.
Speaker 4: We're going to be redoing the parks, redoing the grass. You know, grass is a lifetime, like people have a lifetime, and a lifetime of this grass is long been gone. When you look at the parks where the grass is all tired, exhausted. We're going to redo the grass with the finest grasses.
Speaker 2: He was going to cut drug prices by twelve hundred percent thirteen hundred, fourteen hundred, fifteen hundred percent. By the way, if you cut them one hundred percent of zero, I just don't understand. We are all familiar with the reflecting pool snaffoo. Oh yeah, wait a minute. This was in June of this year when Donald Trump was asked to define cease fire in regard to Iran ceasefire. Uh, pretty much, you way it is.
Speaker 4: It's a different part of the world, you know. I'd say that part of the world sees fires when you're shooting in a more moderate manner.
Speaker 2: A ceasefire is when you continue to fire, but you are firing moderately, he said in May of this year. Most people don't know that dumb is spelled with the letter B cancus docracy. And of course there's the more serious stuff that's going on, the attack on our citizens, the ice murders, the war on journalists and the free press, the war on democracy, the rewriting of the entire history of the United States, and this weird loyalist cult wrapped around one of the dumbest, most moronic, most childish, most horrible human beings. I am not being hyperbolic. This is not TDS. You know what I'm talking about. Name a redeeming quality. Name a redeeming quality. If you found one, I'll bet you're lying because I've been searching for years. Cacistockracy. Thank you so much for teaching me a word that I can now use to brand the insanity that's going on around us. Short break, more of your calls. Next, I've got David at five eight zero. David, are you with us? Yes, sir, welcome David. Let's talk what's on your mind.
Speaker 3: Well, first, I want to let you know, Seth, I truly appreciate you being there, very kind of following you for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Do you have a computer handy?
Speaker 2: I just happen to have a computer handy.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you would, Delusional disorder your Wikipedia, so we can get on some page for a conversation.
Speaker 2: Delusional disorder.
Speaker 3: Wikipedia. That's what I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: All right, Harvard Health, National Institutes of Health, South Coast Behavior with the Health I'm looking for Wikipedia. Okay. Here it is delusional disorder, a mental disorder in which a person has delusions but with no accompanying prominent hallucinations, thought disorder, mood disorder, or significant flattening of effect. Okay, I'm there.
Speaker 3: All right now a by half a page down signs and symptoms. Number seven is what I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: Number seven. The belief is at the least unlikely and out of keeping with the individuals social, cultural, and religious background.
Speaker 3: Yes, now here's what I want to say. Religious delusions and politics. Don't we well part excuse me. Politics do not belong in a medical diagnosis, and number seven reads to me as politics. A delusion can be induced by society. An entire society can be delusional. But number seven, if that was removed and religious people were considered delusional, the next question would be when is it ever a good idea to allow a person that cannot tell magic fairy tales from reality to hold office, vote on guns or room children. Well, I agree that delusions come in many flavors, but a religious delusion through our history has proven to cause more division, more destruction, and more death than anything else created by man. If that definition number seven is removed, that's a political loophole. And if they remove that, then imagine this psychological evaluations Before you can own a gun in America, there will be a large percentage of people that will choose guns versus their magic, fairy tale religious delusions.
Speaker 2: Well, those are two different conversations. The idea of being diluted, about the idea of a god or the supernatural, and whether or not you have an aberration psychologically which would make you ill qualified to own a firearm. Firearm rather, I think, are those two different conversations.
Speaker 3: Well, Israel, Gaza, an American military. Today, religious delusions have become a weapon hurting the masses, the ignorant masses, to do evil things, you know, cause death instruction. By the way, thanks for taking my call, and please excuse me a pedive stroke in the past.
Speaker 2: You're doing great, You're doing fine. You gave us a to think and talk about. Appreciate the kind words as well, David.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was my point, seth. I truly appreciate you being out there and doing what you do, and I just wanted to get a thought across to you and maybe you can look into it personally.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll take a closer look at this page here in just second and educate myself. Thanks for the prompt, David, Be safe out there, Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't get much furd with it, so I figured I got to find a guy who can, and that would be my idea.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe we'll see how I do. David, take care, have a good data. Yeah, we'll see you later. These points that he pointed to, let me just roll through these for just second. The following can indicate a delusion. An individual expresses an idea or belief with unusual persistence or force, even when evidence suggests the contrary. By the way you have just described most of humanity, I got an idea, a belief, and I am persistent to believe it, even when you show me that it's a big mountain of crap. Number two, That idea appears to have an undue influence on the person's life, and the way of life is often altered to an inexplicable extent. Yeah, seeing some of that. Number three, Despite their profound conviction, there is often a quality of secretiveness or suspicion when the person is questioned about it. Number four, the individual tends to be humorless and over sensitive, especially about the belief. Number five, there's a quality of centrality, no matter how unlikely it is that these strange things are happening to the person, they accept them relatively unquestioningly. Number six. An attempt to contradict the belief is likely to arouse an inappropriately strong emotional reaction, often with irritability and hostility. They will not accept any other opinions. Seven We've covered the belief is or at the least unlikely and out of keeping with the individual social, cultural, and religious background. Number eight. The person is emotionally overinvested in the idea and it overwhelms other elements of their psyche number nine of ten. Number nine, the delusion, if acted out, often leads to behaviors which are abnormal and out of character, although perhaps understandable in light of the delusional beliefs. Number ten. Other people who know the individual observe that the belief and behavior are uncharacteristic and alien. I'm getting two messages from this list. One is that the delusion defines me and affects how I behave, and other people also know that the belief and behavior are uncharacteristic to me. I would think if I'm defined by the belief, I'm obsessed with it, and it impacts how I navigate the world, well, it would be characteristic of me. I don't know. I'm after wrestle them with that one for a while. Let's go to everya code six' four to one. High who's This, hi it's a.
Speaker 11: CHAN i just wanted to ask, you why do you think people believe in conspiracy?
Speaker 2: Theories, WELL i haven't mapped the human. Mind there is so much, psychology you know that has been done by people so much more qualified than. Me there are a few THINGS i can speak. To let me ask, you why do you think people believe in conspiracy?
Speaker 11: THEORIES i think it's an ego. THING i think IT'S i know something you don't know kind of.
Speaker 2: THING i think that's totally. VALID i also think people like a good. Story who doesn't love a conspiracy. Tale there's a secret organization of somebody who's doing things and they're getting away with. It and then IF i figured it, OUT i guess that takes us back to, ego doesn't. IT i also think there's some patterns. Seeking there's a, Distrust like anytime you distrust a source of, information especially, today if we immediately distrust the public record or the official, record then we're going to be scrambling to find another. EXPLANATION i think the people who say That Donald trump's assassination attempt was, Staged, WELL i mean another guy, died and SO i myself, think Well ockham's, RAISER i don't think it was. Staged WOULD i put it Past Donald trump to set something up where another person was murdered to make him look? Good, YEAH i very much. Do BUT i just can't prove. THAT i can't take that that far enough to hold on to. It BUT i totally understand now there's an entire culture of people across the spectrum who think the whole thing was just. Theater and that takes us back To, HEY i love a good, story AND i don't trust the official. Record lots of stuff going, on probably a lot, more, Right.
Speaker 11: Yeah and ALSO i think maybe these people find a comradeship amongst. Themselves you, know there's a lot of podcasts and so forth that talk about these, things and maybe they find a kinship with each.
Speaker 3: Other.
Speaker 2: Tribalism If i'm a flat earther AND i think that the world's scientific communities and governments are covering it, UP i get together with my fellow flat earthers and we're a, family right, Right, YEAH i think there's a lot of gears in that. Machine the human mind is a, wild wanky, place isn't.
Speaker 11: It, yeah and it's surprising that the intelligent PEOPLE i know that are into some of this. Stuff it's just mind.
Speaker 2: Beling, well let's you. Go thanks so much for the. Call, yeah appreciate you very. Much there's a common myth that only the unintelligent will fall for conspiracy. Theories that's absolute. Crap in, fact many times it's really, clever smart people that can find ways to connect dots that were never meant to be. Connected Psychotherapist Monica vilhauer wrote In Psychology today about why people buy conspiracy. Theories they thrive on cognitive, biases mental shortcuts that allow us to make sense of the. World there's proportionality, bias which leads people to believe that significant events must have substantial. Causes in other, Words Lee Harvey, oswald some loner murderer KILLED jfk Nah Na nad has to be a vess, conspiracy kind of An Oliver stone type. Story and in an environment with high mistrust and, authorities conspiracy theories can. Flourish. Yeah anybody who thinks they cannot be fooled already has been the Great Richard feynman was, very very. Wise that's going to do it. TODAY i will see you back here next week with the audio of My cincinnati events featuring myself And Noah. Lusions thank you so much for.
Speaker 1: Listening Follow The Thinking atheist On facebook And twitter for a complete archive of podcasts and, videos products like mugs and t shirts featuring The Thinking atheist, logo links to atheist pages and, resources and details on upcoming free thought events and. Conventions log onto our, Website The thinkingatheist dot. Com