Speaker 1: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomrn is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dot cavaem Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios, Hey Joey. On November twenty fourth, nineteen sixty three, an unassuming man leapt in front of news reporters and police officers as Lee Harvey Oswald was being escorted through the basement of a Dallas police station. The man fatally shot Oswald once in the abdomen, and it was captured on live TV. The shooter was Jack Ruby, who would forever be known as the guy who shot the guy who shot JFK. But who exactly was Jack Ruby. We're thrilled to chat with Danny Fingera, a biographer, cultural historian, and former writer and editor at Marvel Comics, whose latest book is Jack Ruby, The Many Faces of Oswald's Assassin. He also authored A Marvelous Life, The Amazing Story of stan Lee disguised as Clark Kent Jews, comics and the creation of the superhero and Superman on the Couch. What superheroes really tell us about ourselves in our society, Danny too, Amusing Jews.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for inviting me, And as I said in the pre show conversation, it's a lot of pressure to be on a show called Amusing Jews, but I will do my best.
Speaker 1: You spent over ten years on covering the life and times of Jack Ruby. What initially attracted you to him as a research topic?
Speaker 2: You know, of course, my background is comics and graphic novels. I've written a number of books and a ton of comic books, and around as it was coming to be the fiftieth anniversary of the assassination of the JFK assassination, I really thought, gee, you know, I had not done a full length nonfiction graphic novel before, you know, and I'd like to and I'd like to do something that people might actually want to buy and read. I wonder if there's a lot of people doing JFK fiftieth anniversary graphic novels, and I couldn't find anybody doing one. Turned out that somebody else was that the Dan Mischkin and I'm blanking on the artist. But they did one about the warrantormission, but that was I didn't know about that. It's a whole different approach. So I started researching the Kennedy assassination. I was ten years old when it happened. Your listeners and viewers can do the math and figure out how old I am, but I was ten years old, ten years old when it happened, and so I had a ten year, ten year old understanding of it. And I was never obsessed with the various conspiracy theories. They just it just seemed like a blur to me. It just seemed like you could plug in a hundred different theories and it just was overwhelming, you know. So it's not that I didn't believe that maybe there was more going on than the general understanding, but it just was an overload. So I started researching, and the more I read about Jack Ruby, the more I realized that that was my entry point into the story of the JFK assassination.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 2: The greatest generation Jewish guy, you know, first generation American born from like a crazy enmeshed Jewish family. One sibling nuttier than the next, all of them interesting. And here was you know, what I say to people is unless you yourself are your craziest cousin, imagine your craziest cousin stepping into history and killing Oswald. Either way, whether whether you identify, whether or you know somebody, because that's you know if. And so that was approaching the the fiftieth anniversary, and I did a lot of research and I was and then I realized there was a memoir written by a Los Angeles rabbi named Hillel Silverman, whose son you may know from the movie Weekend at Bernie Jonathan Silverman. Well, Jonathan Silverman's father. Hillel, who just died like two years ago at age ninety nine, was sort of on his career path. He was a rabbi in Dallas for ten years and one of his congregants was jet Jack Ruby. And Silverman wrote about it in his memoir, and he was interviewed a lot, and uh, you know, I was able to make contact with him through some contacts of vine in the Jewish world, and I spoke to him and he said that this was even then, even ten twelve years ago. He said, I'm almost ninety. I'm not writing my book anymore. Everybody in that Jack re record room was writing a book. I'm not writing my book anymore. Would you like to see my notes? And when I visited Jack in prison every other day for four months, I said, yeah, I wouldn't mind. Uh So, the you know, the the notes came and they were just mind boggling. I didn't realize how rich they were until, you know, until I compared them to like the trial transcripts and the newspaper reports and other brand I went, you know this, the stuff of the rabbi visiting him and the rabbi's own reflections really were just sort of an added ingredient that made, you know, it made it for better or worse.
Speaker 1: A very Jewish story.
Speaker 2: Ruby was very Jewish identified. He was very concerned about anti Semitism in Dallas. Anyway, I did a lot of research, and then I was connected by a book packager named Howard Zimmerman, who I knew from working at a company called Byron Price. And he put me together with an artist who you may have heard a named Rick Eary. Rick is a great I guess I don't you call him underground or independent? He said, I mean, you know, he still puts out lots of graphic novels, a lot about true murder cases. And really, we couldn't find anybody who would passed an advance big enough to Rick to spend two years during this two hunder page graphic novel, so I back burned it. And then in the meantime I wrote the other book, some of the other books, including specifically the stan Lee biography, so I had some credentials of biographer. That book was generally well reviewed and sold pretty well. So as we're coming around the sixtieth anniversary, I said to my agent, do you think we could revive the Ruby graphic novel project just as a straight prose biography, and Chicago we did, and I wrote an elaborate proposal at Chicago Review press Board. And you know, in the meantime, I wouldn't say I spent every waking moment researching it, but obviously my antenna were up, and I would just anytime I saw anything or heard anything about Ruby. And then, you know, as much as I love graphic novels and comics, certainly my I approached for a prose biography, I had to do a lot more research and I knew a lot more about biographies and how they're done, and and so I figured I'm not smart enough to figure out all the mysteries of the Kennedy assassination. You know, smarter people than me, you spend decades trying to figure out what really happened. But I know crazy Jews, and so I could figure out try to figure out something about what might have motivated Jack Ruby, and so and so I spoke to I did a bunch of research at the sixth Floor Museum, which is the book depository in Dallas. I spoke to Ruby's niece and nephew, who before that had not really done a lot of speaking to the press or biographers. I spoke to, of course the rabbi. I spoke to the children of the other Jewish strip club owners in Dallas at the time, who you know, who hated Jack Ruby, but how to do business. It was I found out a lot more about like the semi underbelly of the Dallas nightclub subculture and criminal subculture than I wanted to, you know. But so that was that was my interest. But it you know, it's similar to my interest in writing about the history of the Jews who were the creators and publishers of Superman, Batman Fantastic, you know, Marvel and DC and and and the and Will Eisner in graphic novels. So it was sort of a fascination with that generation that was my parents and aunts and uncles generation. And yet obviously, you know, I mean the comic book people, and obviously people like Jack Ruby went different routes, and yet not so you know, and yet not so different. There were there were people my father had multiple careers, or one of them was he was a partner in a kosher banquet catering business in the Bronx, and so in that business, you know, I don't know. He died fairly young, when I was fairly young, but I have a feeling he came across a lot of shady characters in that in that world that you know that there's there's a lot, you know, there's a lot going on behind the scenes of your fancy barmits with that you don't want to know about. And I have a feeling that my dad probably came in contact with and associated with people not unlike Jack Ruby, except except Ruby out of Chicago accent, and my family had a New York accent joining the show.
Speaker 1: Click like and subscribe. You mentioned in the book that you were buying comics at a secondhand magazine store on First Avenue in Manhattan when JFK was assassinated. How did you first learn that Oswald had been shot?
Speaker 2: You know, I really need to make up a good answer for this question, because I don't have one. It's so stupid. I remember where I was when I found out that the JFK was shot, because and you know, I was a student at Yeshiva in New York and it was November and he got dark earlier on Friday, and so we were dismissed early on Friday. But the friend I was with and I both lived close enough, you know, we went to school close enough to where we lived that we could kill some time, and so we were both comic fans, and we went to this used comic shop like you're in eighty six in Yorkville, in Manhattan, and I just remember we were walking in some we saw some other French from school and they told us, and that's about as dull as it can get. And then I just have a memory of seeing Ruby, and I honestly don't know if I saw it live or if I saw a videotape up, Because here's the thing. In the days before the internet, in the days before videotape, it was just TV. And if you're ten years old, all that was on every channel was the Kennedy assassination coverage, and you know the way news is, you know, this is really the first, you know, widespread covered event, and really it was just repeating the same stuff over and over and over, and meanwhile, I'm ten years old, where are my cartoons?
Speaker 3: It began with the fatal shooting of Lee Harvey Oswald to accused the assassin of John Kennedy by Jack Ruby, Dallas nightclub owner, in the basement of Dallas police headquarters. Here's how it looked and sounded on live nationwide television. The voice is that of NBC reporter Tom Pettitt. Yeah, but there is way. He's been shot.
Speaker 1: He's been shot.
Speaker 3: Oswald has been shot.
Speaker 2: I know I saw it, but I don't have a great memory of it. It's I really have to just make something up and just you know, because everybody else has Oh, my mother's face turned white, and you know my you know, my father chill over. I mean, everybody has a story and I'm like, you know, I'm sure we were watching TV because it was obviously a major thing my father, you know, my dad, because he was at this catering business. He worked on the weekend. So you know, I'm sure my dad was trying to figure out whether to even go ahead with the weddings and bar mits was they had planned that weekend. You know, because my dad was a quote unquote famous cantor in other words, like being a famous comic book editor. It's important to who it's important to, you know. I think my dad was trying, you know, I was probably getting ready, you know, to go and officiate at a wedding ceremony and wondering what the mood would be. So but I do remember watching, you know, seeing it on TV. But no, and again, you're ten years old. When you're a kid, you kind of think, well, maybe this happens all the time, and I just didn't know about it because I'm ten years old, you know, you know, I or maybe I was just an idiot, you know, but the you tell me, the the magnitude of it, I knew it. But I don't have a great story. So all I can do is just try to be amusing and dance around and you know, and explain that I don't have a great story in.
Speaker 4: Your defense, Danny, one day somebody will ask me for an OJ story. You know, I was pretty young when it happened. I don't really remember, but it was interrupting a lot of my cartoons, but I do remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole kid view of the world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then he was on my POGs, you know, and I was like, oh, okay, well this is another cultural outgrowth.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that it turns out the Jack Ruby story and Jack Ruby's life intersected with a bunch of my you know, culture and sports heroes. I mean, most specifically Mickey Mantle, who was, you know, this blonde hair, blue eyed, shining baseball god to every Jewish boy who wasn't the Dodgers fan, you know, in in New York. So that Mickey, I mean, that was that was that when you asked me before what led me to want to do the Ruby story, It was the Jewish thing. But then it was also that this guy, because he was in show business, you know, albeit like you know, a sleazy aspect of show business, came into contact with all these unexpected people. Jack Ruby the last person to give Hank Williams c your regular work. And suddenly Mickey Mantle is showing up and Louis Arms. I mean, just just this this lineup of people that that go you know, and and and you know when Rabbi Silverman and then all the celebrities. You know, my joke used to be, and maybe you guys in La can double a triple check. I used to joke that Silverman got burned out into Aallas and went to LA and became Buddy Hackett's rabbi. But you know, it turned out he was Buddy Hackett's Rabbi. Yeah. So so there was so many weird intersections of you know, and then and then it turned out that Jack Kirby, who you know, co created all the major Marvel characters, drew a Jack Ruby comics for Esquire magazine in nineteen sixty seven. You know, so all just all this stuff just it just it just it seemed I was faded to write a book about Jack Ruby.
Speaker 1: You spent most of your career as a Marvel comics writer editor. Did any of that experience come in handy when piecing together the convoluted story of Jack Ruby. One thing we deal in a lot in superhero comics is conspiracy stories, you know, just you know, doctor Doom is behind this and the Red Skull and and it goes, you know, I mean sort of layer upon layer, so that that view of the world was not unfamiliar to me.
Speaker 2: And I think the thing that I tried to do, you know, I've read biographies of really interesting people, and the biographies were so boring. It's like, and you go, how did you take this really interesting person and make such a dull book? You know, And and so I guess one thing that I learned in the world of you know, of genre comics, of superhero comics was, if not every page, certainly every chapter has to end on some kind of cliff hunger and ideally you know, several of them. So I tried to do that. I tried to without sensationalizing it. I tried, and I mean, you know, it's you know, you have a story with you know, people getting shot and suspicions of conspiracies and you know, anti semitism and racism and just American history, and you know, I mean, you just have all the ingredients for a great story, you know, whatever else you may think. I mean, there's you know there you know, that is one of the reasons that people are still talking about it. They're still having congressional hearings the sixty plus years later. So I mean, there's you know, it's a compelling story, and I just tried not to mess it up.
Speaker 1: During the trial, Ruby's defense tried to argue that he had a temporary blackout at the time he shot Oswald. Do you think there's any validity to that.
Speaker 2: I think there was. Yes, The short answer is yes. But like everything else with the Kennedy assassination, it's complicated in their layers upon layers. So Ruby's muddy family they banded together because they just saw their brother kill Lee Harveyaswold on television, and so they pooled their resources. And most of the resources were in the hands of his kid brother, Earl Ruby, who was a dry cleaning mine and in Detroit, and Earl really looked up to Jack. You know, Jack, Jack had a Jack was a violent temp you know, uh, short tempered guy. But some of that violence and short tempered was devoted to beating up Nazis and you know, in the thirties in Chicago, so you know, he had had some you know, positive aspects. So his family got together and and and they and they hired and fired lawyers like hopping cold running water. You know, they just went through the most famous lawyers.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Imagine you're a lawyer and you think you're hot stuff, and you you have a chance to get the job of getting a guy acquitted who shot somebody in cold blood on live television. Imagine if you're a lawyer, what a great challenge that is. So every famous lawyer in America, you know, was going to wave their fee or they or they whatever it was. And the Ruby family just hired and fired one after the other until Melvin bell I came along. And bell at that point was one of the most famous lawyers in America. And people say he never tried a murder case. He actually had tried one murder case, but that's not his specialty. Also, he had the judge in the case had a long standing grudge against Bali, which is not not very not a good thing. But but he was the most famous lawyer in America, and he talked a good game. And since it was quite clear that Ruby had done that, the question was what was a state of mind? And in those days, in the state of take this. There were you could get somebody acquitted of like a crime of passion, it was unlikely that that would work with Ruby. So that so bell I came up with this experimental He didn't just say he was insane, right, I mean, it was basically insanity plea, but it was such a novel. Untried to pardon the pun version of insanity called psychomotor epilepsy. And you know, I think bell I, I mean, for what bell I first tried to do was have the trial, the case thrown out, and you know, and just on the grounds that there was no way Ruby could get a fair trial in Dallas, because that's where it happened, and you know, sort of Dallas in the public just was what the whole city was induided in the both of the murder of Kennedy and the murder of Oswald, you know, in guided in the public consciousness. So bell I tried every other thing he could, and you know, and tried to pick right the jurors who would, uh who were who would give him a fair verdict or you know, or an acquittal or at least a very an insanity vertic. But ultimately couldn't you know, they they the case, the judge would not declare mistra would not move the case because for the judge was a big deal too. Again, imagine the judge and the Jack Ruby case. So bell I tried the thing called psychomotor at a policy. Ruby had a history of mental illness, you know, the thing about both him and Oswald, there's no doubt they were not They both had long histories of erratic behavior and you know, and and psychiatric treatment. The question is with a loan notes. That's of course the big thing that people want to know. So it was, it was so I think ultimately bell I went with that defense, and he brought in again just like the most famous lawyers wanted to be involved, the most famous psychiatrists wanted to be involved. So until the Chicago seven trial in nineteen seventy, this was probably the biggest circus trial. Well one of the you know, maybe the scope was monkey trial, but aside from that, this was the biggest circus trial in American history. You know, Plus you had Jack Ruby, you know, giving impromptu press conferences at every break in the at every recess. So I think it was it was a long shot. It was show off. He on Belly's part. Probably his ego got the better of him, you know, because the jury ended up convicting Ruby in like two and a half hours. And I think they just I think they really convicted in a much shorter time, but they thought, just for the sake of appearances, they should wait at least a couple of hours.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't you know that it was actually a group of very you know, people say, oh, it was the Dallas jury. Dallas was a big city, and and there was some very intelligence sophisticated people on the on the on the jury, but they just bell I did not make his case.
Speaker 1: As you were alluding to. Jack Ruby born Jacob Rubinstein comes across as a self styled defender of Jews against anti Semitism. Can you tell us a little more about that?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Ruby grew up in the Maxwell Street ghetto of Chicago that also produced in the same era Benny Goodman, william S. Paley, who founded CBS Chief Justice Arthur Goldberg. You know, it's sort of a classic kind of you know, Jewish ghetto assimilation, escape the ghetto store, you know, and and Ruguby with his best friend growing up was a boxer named Barney Ross who was actually studying to be a rabbi till his father was murdered in a hold up. It's kind of like the Batman's so Ruby. If you look at any video Ruby, or the video Ruby shooting Oswald. He the person he's reminiscent of, which kind of tripped me up for a while was Jackie Gleeson and the Honeymooners. He moves like a heavy set but graceful guy, which he was. He wasn't. He was a boxer. And I think from what I hear a very good answer too. And he would and he would MC. He would be his own MC. He wanted to be a stand up comic and he you know, he had country Western clubs besides the strip club. So, but he was very Jewish identified. He was very conscious of himself as Jewish. He was very sensitive to any anti Semitism. He'd often come home at night, you know, with like blood all over his clothes and having been in a fight with some guy at a bar who made an anti Semitic comment. And and at the time leading up to the Kennedy assassination, there was a you know, the reason Kennedy came to Dallas was to shore up his support in the Democratic Party in Dallas for his reelection camp campaign, and then the following year in sixty four. This was late sixty three and and and and it was a big deal for the president to come to Dallas, even though it was a big city. I don't think it had a lot of visitors, certainly certainly presidents. I've been there in a long time. And and so there was a leaflet that came out attacking Kennedy, you know, a flyer that they get in the days before the internet, people would hand out leaflets and you know, and it was signed by there was some committee that you know that people you know, made up who were putting it out, but it was signed by Bernard Weissman. And Ruby thought, it turns out correctly that the people that the you know, extreme right wing people putting this out put a Jewish name on it, so that if anything bad happened to Kennedy while he was there, it would be blamed on the Jews, I think. And and it turned out that it was like really like four people with the whole organization, and one of them was that there was at Bernard Weisman and they put his name on it kind of precisely, you know, for that reason, which is really weird, you know, but they did. I think maybe he gives themselves credibility. I don't think so much to foment that, I says it semitism to say, well, look, if this Jewish guy is anti Kennedy, you know, then you should be too. So Ruby was really concerned about that, as you know, I mean, and as Rabbi Silverman was, you know, you know, Silveran is on record as saying, you know, when they when they arrested Oswald, you know, thank god it wasn't somebody black and some thank god it wasn't somebody Jewish. I mean, that was you know, that was America. Then that could never happen now. But so and this and this was one of Ruby's obsessions. And he belonged it's he was. He belonged to a up and coming, upper middle class synagogue in Dallas really so he could network with the Jewish professionals there. And then he did, you know, he did identify his Jewish, especially after his father died. His father died in fifty eight and he started going to school the psy cottage regularly. But it's weird because Jack Ruby's rolo decks if he had one. Jack Ruby's network of acquaintances and friends included like low life criminals, weird you know, fringe show business guys and like dermatologists and rabbis. I mean, he had just like this, you know, Jewish dermatologists or just this very strange group of people. And I think he was a fairly unpleasant guy. I sort of It's one of those stories I kind of get found more to cringe about. I had thought of him as kind of Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners and maybe you know, maybe going a little more extreme than I'll, you know, to the moon Alice. You know, I thought, yeah, but no, he was really like a low life you know, thug. But nonetheless, if you do the if you research about it, you know, so many people claimed that they were Jack Ruby's best friend, and it was like really a big thing of honor for them that you know, it was really interesting. You know. Then they would say something horrible about him and something really like you know, vile that he'd done or that they heard about, but they really they wanted you to know that he that they were Jack Ruby. So he had some kind of charisma. He would hire and fire, you know, his weight staff and the dancers at his strip, you know, like you would hire and fire them multiple times a week, the same people. And it's like, you know, again, if it wasn't so weird and and history changing and dire, it would kind of be almost a sitcom.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about your impression of Michael Lerner's portrayal of Jack Ruby in Ruby and Oswald, the TV movie from nineteen seventy eight. I thought Michael Lerner played it as a.
Speaker 2: New York Jewish cliche. I lot Michael Lerner, but I found that kind of a cringey kind of performance. Having said that, there are sometimes when I picture things that I talk about in the book that I read about, I do imagine the scene from that movie, because you know, some of it was well written and well acted. But I thought his character was just too much of a cliche, especially the New York the Bronx accent. It would be like Ruby was so shit, you know. I mean, I'm sure there must have been a meeting and they thought, well, people will identify the New York accent more with somebody Jewish on the Chicago accent or you know, so I think he's a wonderful actor, but he wasn't my I didn't love that role.
Speaker 1: It's weird because whenever I think of Jack Ruby, I just picture Michael Lerner.
Speaker 2: I know, I hate to say it, but because there have been other movies about Ruby. JFK included and the movie called Ruby, and they sort of use they take off, you know, they take off into especially the Ruby, the movie called Ruby, they take off until into fantasy and speculation. No, I think JFK does too. You know. What I thought was a terrific Ruby was in the Umbrella Academy that season where they went to Dallas in nineteen sixty three. I thought the guy who played Jack Ruby in that was terrific. If my book would have become a movie or a streaming series, I would want the seth Rogen to play Ruby.
Speaker 1: If Ruby wasn't insane at the time of the shooting, he veered in that direction while behind bars, among other things, he became convinced that millions of American Jews were being killed in a pogram. What do you make of this?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Ruby was crazy, and I think he was and you know, although it's not impossible that he might have been somehow trying to please somebody. Jack Ruby, as a Jack Ruby had never killed anybody. He had beaten up a lot of people, but he had no history of being indicted or convicted of murder, you know, so he he wasn't a professionally professionally man. So I think there was some somewhere he became concerned about his family's well being, and somewhere he got in his mind. I used to have a simple theory. I used to think that Ruby wanted to be the Jew that killed the guy that killed the president. And he thought he was doing public relations with the Jews, he thought, and for a while, and actually it kind of worked temporarily. He was getting fan nail by the by the bagful, just you know, hundreds of letters and telegrams. But a weird thing happened where when people realize, oh, now we'll never know what Oswald was going to say, or what he who he might have implicated, or just what is real reason if he did it? And in some weird way the public knew was that Ruby had killed Kennedy. It's just this strange shift in now. I don't I don't even know. I don't think anybody said it out loud, but that was sort of the vibe, and that was the tone of tenor of the nail he got. So he I think he was insane from the time he was a child, you know, I think he sort of I don't know if he I don't know if his club's ever made any money. I mean, so, either he was just being bled by the mob, which is possible, or maybe his family was just sort of keeping him afloat because they he didn't want him sleeping on the couch.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's you know, he I don't think he ever made a profit, you know, in his in his legitimate or his criminal activities. You know, once he was in jail what you're alluding to with the program, you know, it turned out his jail, he was in a cell that was near the psych ward of the prison, and so very often there were like prisoners screaming at night. And Ruby interpreted that, or claimed the interpreted as Jews being boiled and oil in the prison, and that his family was already dead and being tortured, and and and that he had started the second Holocaust in America, and you know, there are people and then but then a minute later he would like be saying to his his jailer, oh, who wants to play jin rummy? You know what I mean? So, you know, and then the Rabbi would come to visit him. He would hide under the table because he didn't want to be killed by the Nazis invading the So there are those who think he was faking it, just trying to emphasize the insanity plea, but that he kept it up for so long. I mean, unless he was the world's greatest actor, then it does you know, it does seem that that he was nuts before and that and that, and that having killed Oswald in a way, it liberated him, right, I mean as a smile on his face, you see. And of course the smile could be haha, my plan worked, But the smile could also be My troubles are over. You know, all the people I owe money to, all the people I owe favors to my nutty family. Although the family turned, I got more and more comeshed, you know, just I have no more responsibility. I'm now going to be in prison, you know. And even if they let me out, then I'll be a celebrity, you know what I mean. I think in some weird way because he definitely you know, and there's conflicting things after the course, they claimed that it was spontaneous, that he just snapped, But you know, he also kind of said to his roommate he had somebody creation with him, and he kind of said to the guy, I'm going to you know, not these are not the exact words, but he kind of said to the guy, I'm going downtown to shoot ushold and and you know, yeah, you know, and the roommate basically said, yeah, bring home a quarter Melton, you're on your way back. I mean, you know, it was just like Jack being crazy.
Speaker 1: So, Danny, what's the verdict? Was Jack Ruby a hero, a villain, something in between, none of the above.
Speaker 2: I think he was a villain. I think I think it's you know, I you know, I think it's funny. I think he was always a hero to his brother, you know. I mean that's sort of touching that Earl Ruby, who didn't who died you know, not that long ago, you know, sort of kept the faith that that his brother's motives were pure and that he just wanted to kind of express the rage the country felt that Kenry's assassination. But look, he's just the fact that Ruby prevented us from ever you know, not that we necessarily would have known, or that Oswald would have told the truth or whatever you know, or or a full truth, but you know, Ruby made it impossible to ever get beyond you know, Oswald saying I'm a patsy. I'm just a patsy, right, I mean that you know, which you know seems to have a specific meaning but could have a variety of meanings. But but will you know, I mean, you know one thing that blows my mind, and I think, you know, gives fuel to a lot of conspiracy theories. You know, in nineteen sixty three, you guys weren't even born, But in nineteen sixty three, many middle class families, including my mi, had it working, had a tape recorder. I mean, my father was a canter, so we you know, we had but I mean it was not uncommon for people to have tape recorders. You know, we didn't have a working tape recorder. The Dallas Police Department, that's who we know, even though they were in downtown Dallas, and you know, unless there was strictly shower shabs, they could have gone and bought a tape recorder. If the one in the in the station wasn't working, so that that's maybe in my research. I'm just grateful I didn't try to research Oswald. Is that I think is an even more convoluted story. But you know that, yeah so, but we won't so we won't know what he might have said in those closed door sessions. Nobody, as far as I know, took elaborate notes and certainly no tape recording. And Ruby did try to get into one of those rooms, which is as yet another log to the you know, conspiracy fire of Ruby trying to get in. But was eight was he just going to try to kill him? Then? Who knows what? So, Yeah, I think I think a really interesting villain and you know, like any human, you know, I came across many stories of Jack's incredible generosity, you know, the people to people who worked for him, the people he didn't he barely knew. So the guy could be very generous and kind when he wasn't.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, you asked before about you know, was he blackout or not know what he was doing he went into fugue states, he would you know, he acted as his own bouncer and if somebody, especially somebody made some kind of antisemitic crack. Jack would throw them down the stairs. He'd be pounding their head into the sidewalk, and then he would just go, what am I doing? He would just like snap out of it, and then he'd like literally give the guy a is a pizza, don't sue me. Here's a pizza, you know, which often worked. Apparently apparently the pizza and Dallas was hard to come by in those days. So yeah, I think a villain, but a very interesting one.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if Jack Ruby reminds you of any comic book super villain, you know, in.
Speaker 2: Terms of his build, he reminds me of Ben Grimm, the Jack Kirby thing, that sort of barrel chested, burly, tough talking guy. Maybe the thing when he was hypnotized by the Frightful Four and into turning against a Fantastic Four and in an early FF story by a Lee Kirby and Coletta. Maybe that version of the thing. That's a question I've never been asked. Thank you well, thank you Danny for joining us my pleasure, and I hope I've been a somewhat amusing jew anyway.
Speaker 1: And to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives. Amusing Jews is here to amuse you.
Speaker 4: If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe,