Speaker 1: Well, it is Wednesday. We like to talk about stuff that's on TV and what you watch your Wednesday.
Speaker 2: The following program is brought to you in living color, but you watch it in there.
Speaker 1: Americans love television. They win their kids.
Speaker 3: Plus USA television.
Speaker 4: Mantabeta. You've been watching too many of those live television shows.
Speaker 5: So I mentioned when Keana asks, she asked us every week what we're watching. I kind of drew a blank, so i'n't really into anything right now. I was asking you about the Tariller share in properties, specifically Lioness, which you really liked. My husband like that as well, and Landman with Billy bum Thornton, which I think I'm gonna try today.
Speaker 1: We just started it. A couple of people have been saying that we should try it. I wasn't in the mood for another Yellowstone because Taylor Sheridan obviously is the creator of both of those shows, only because Yellowstone lived in its own existence and I didn't need it to be a soap opera e kind of thing. Land Man is has some of the same elements. I mean, there's a Taylor Sheridan obviously likes people who work with their hands. I mean he celebrates these people who do these jobs and being an oil man, not the owner necessarily, but the people are out there working pump jacks all day. Those are the people that he kind of celebrates with the show. And Billy Bob Thornton is really funny. And a lot of it is the writing, a lot of these one liners that he's got, But Billy Bob Thornton is very funny. It's a lot funnier than I was expecting it to be. John Hamm is in it, Demi Moore is in it. Ali Larder actually plays Billy Bob Thornton's ex wife. I love all these people are and it's really really it's it's well done, it's put together well. I mean, he's got his ex wife, but he's also got a teenage daughter and now a young son who's going to work in the oil field, and he Billy Bob Thornton plays kind of the fixer for this this small independent oil company, So anything that goes wrong, he's the guy who's got to fix it. So he's got to coordinate with the owner, he's got to coordinate with the workers, he's got to coordinate with the company's law. All of that stuff and he's just smart, whip smart, very funny. Billy Bob Thornton's hair is awful, but everything else is funny.
Speaker 5: About the show, I loved the podcast Scamanda. This was about a woman up in northern California who was part of a megachurch, pretended to have cancer, scammed everybody. It's awful story, but the podcast was so well done, very popular, and now it's getting the Hulu treatment.
Speaker 2: Well ABC News.
Speaker 5: And then it goes on to Hulu the following day and it is called Scamanda as well, and it's based off the podcast, but it dives deeper into it. If the podcast left you wanting more about this horrific woman and about the people she was able to deceive for so long and to such an extent, this is pretty good. It only comes out one episode a week, so right now there's only one episode available. I think it may come out on Thursdays if I'm not mistaken. The other scam show, apparently scamming is very popular with true crime officionados right now scam Goddess on Hulu. It's also from a podcast, a podcaster by the name of Lacey Moseley and her podcast by the same name. She deep dives into historical contemporary scams and the scammers who scam them, and it is fascinating. The most recent one was the female Miami businesswoman using.
Speaker 2: Air quotes here, who.
Speaker 5: Was able to scam professional athletes into believing that they were hiring her to help them achieve generational wealth in terms of the s ton of money they were making from their prospective sports they were involved, with Dennis Rodman being the biggest name that she scam to the tune of millions. It's a very fascinating show. The host, the podcaster, she is very lovable, very personable, and it's told very well. So Scam Goddess and Scamanda both on Hulu.
Speaker 2: You have to start getting into ninety Day Fiance. It's a train wreck. Did you ever watch I did. I didn't know it was still cranking them out.
Speaker 1: I think they have different offshoots, a spin offs. If not, I think.
Speaker 5: I've watched it for a couple seasons when I was on the Learning Channel, which provides us so much learning. But it was kind of the same story over and over. It was the couples having the same problems on repeat.
Speaker 1: It seems like I've never seen an episode, but it seems like I could write out, sure it is the problems, hey.
Speaker 3: For what you watch on Wednesday. I know this isn't current, but I've never heard either one of you comment on Downton Abbey. I'm just curious if either one of you were fans and watched it from start to finish. Just interested in hearing that.
Speaker 5: You know what, That's one of the ones I want to circle back to. I think I had a million things going on with the time that that was popular. And when I say that, I mean I have nothing going on, but I had other shows I was interested in.
Speaker 2: I have nothing gone. Sorry you're so busy. I am not, but I do to circle back to that.
Speaker 5: I think what turned me off from that to to not sound like a complete roube, but like the accents were distracting and I couldn't figure out what they were saying.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you have to watch that.
Speaker 4: That is that is one of the only shows that when it was over, I'm not kidding, I'm gonna sound like depression. I cry, Oh cry, so depressed because I just fell in love.
Speaker 2: With the characters. Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to start that and land man, I will start Downtown Downtown Abbey and I will start Land.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to hear it.
Speaker 3: Shows.
Speaker 1: I like to watch Good Lioness YEP Season one and two, YEP, Dexter Original Sin.
Speaker 2: That's the this prequel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm thinking about starting the Agency.
Speaker 3: Yes, hopefully it's not about.
Speaker 2: When Trump takes over the CIA.
Speaker 1: No, it's not thank you have a good day, not political. The Agency was one of the great ones that is also on Paramount. It's Michael Michael Fastbender. Richard gear is in that, Jeffrey Wright is in that good CIA London based CIA Agent. It's not fast It is not full packed, full of Jason Bourne style fight scenes or anything like that. But it is a good, suspenseful show. We'll talk a little bit more a couple other shows when we come back. Also, four trailers up on our regular trio of trailers. Keana's outdoing herself, So four trailers up on the website if you go to kfi A M six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon Fantastic four, The New One, Final Destination, the New One, The Running Point. With the running Point, I should say, Kate Hudson leading a basketball Team and then Jurassic World Rebirth.
Speaker 2: All those trailers are is there a dinosaur that's gonna get born something? Baby dinosaur?
Speaker 1: I think Scarlet Johanson's in this one. So Amelia Perez is the Netflix film that's up for so many Oscars and it is about a woman, a trans woman who's at the head of a cartel that wants to live life as a woman. And it's a musical and its stars Carlo Sophia Gascone and Selena Gomez and Zoe Saldana. And when she got the nomination for Best Actors again, trans woman gets nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role. She was not only the first transgender person at least out transgender person to be nominated, but also the odds on favorite thirteen Academy Award nominations, etc. Including Best Picture International Feature blah blah blah. Now, it was criticized by some of the LGBTQ viewers because they said it was a stereotypical portrait of Mexico, traditional Catholic Mexico.
Speaker 5: Also, they didn't use Mexican actors, and they romanticized Narco violence forgetting the fact that this is a point of trauma for many Mexicans who live with this. More than one hundred thousand people gone missing in Mexico's drug war, families spend years decades searching for missing loved ones. People very upset over this hollywoodization of drug cartels and what it means to survive them. There was an analogy I heard this morning, and I don't want to completely butcher it, and I will because I can't find it with something about, you know, another country glorifying the KKK, that the KKK has been reborn, and instead of filming it in the South, you film it in Paris, and instead of having black people play slaves, you have other people play that.
Speaker 2: Like it's just it's such a.
Speaker 5: You know, white person high on the hill of bel air, behind their gated communities, saying what people of Mexico are when you have no fre an idea, you're like so far away from having your pulse on your finger, on the pulse of any community.
Speaker 2: Well, add to.
Speaker 1: That the fact that when you go through Carlo Sophia Gasco on social media account, she has at times been incredibly racist, anti Muslim, anti diversity, and they have upended her campaign not just for her but for everyone that was nominated associated with the Amelia Perez movie. She has apologized for the tweets in question. She denied writing one that slammed Selena Gomez altogether, but she had said that she used social media as a diary.
Speaker 2: So when she.
Speaker 1: Called George Floyd, for example, a loser drug user that no one liked, it causes some problems for them and everybody that wanted to point to her as being this just groundbreaking person because she was the first out transgender person to be nominated for an acting award, they're caught flat footed because they go, oh, wait a minute. She's not allowed to have thoughts like that. She's not allowed to say things like that, I thought she was our team.
Speaker 5: When you're putting someone in a box, you don't realize how complex that that person could be, do you. When you're checking off a box, you should not put people in a box. Here's the quote from the article in IndieWire dot com. To understand why Latinos are appalled by Amelia Perez, imagine this. The Academy lauds a clan rehabilitation musical set in the Deep South but shot in Paris. It's non American cast speaks in British and ausse accents, and the few black actors are largely relegated to extras.
Speaker 2: When you put it like that, you look very silly with silly Hollywood. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also think in general, the Oscars are banking too much in the last couple of years on.
Speaker 2: This is the first year that we've had.
Speaker 1: Us so and so nominated for a something, and we hope they win because that shows how progressive the Oscars are.
Speaker 2: It feels like that's just kind of an old way.
Speaker 5: It's such an old trope, isn't it. About the Oscar and critics and everything. We're so we are so dialed into what everyday people are living with.
Speaker 2: This is what I learned on the Gary and Channon Show.
Speaker 5: We are talking about a half an hour ago about how many words we speak, and you said something about sixteen thousand, and I'm like, what does that even mean? And telling I know, like how many minutes or whatever. Chris did the math and the homework on that and says, according to Ai, so AI did the homework, sixteen thousand words a day can take anywhere from eighty to one hundred and sixty minutes, depending on how fast you speak, So that's how much we're speaking a day, eighty minutes, from a little over an hour to a little over two.
Speaker 1: Hours, which is roughly what it comes out to this show right after the commercials.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: We're doing baseline just in those four hours, right, But it's not about us. You watched You're Cordially Invited on Amazon Prime. That's the Race with Spine. Will Ferrell movie.
Speaker 5: It was like, I actually thought it was better than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was just going to be using Reese, Witherspoon and Will Ferrell's name for a complete vehicle of hell.
Speaker 2: It was enjoyable.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a blockbuster, but you don't believe the rom com part of it. They only get into the at the very end.
Speaker 1: It is enjoyable. And then Bad Sisters Season two on Apple TV. It's an Irish TV show, but it is the season two. Both my wife and I thought it was better than season one. Season one won some awards, so season two is really well done.