Speaker 1: This is a studio both and production. As you know, we are celebrating my tenth year in podcasting and we're capping that celebration off with a three day event here in the Berkshires over the weekend of September twenty fifth. There will be studio sessions, live shows, a Bravo town hall, Berkshire activities like foraging, wine tasting, museum visits and more, and tons of special guests. Will do the Karen and Ellen Letters Live starring Amanda Jacobson from Wine and Crime, Tawny plattis famous renowned voice actress, and Chris Brayton from the More Gooder Than podcast. I'll be doing a very special, first time ever live show of the Pact with special guest Patrick Hines from True Crime Obsessed. We'll do a panel discussion on Unsafe Spaces featuring me, Kaz, Charlie Wirrel from Crime Lines, and Justin and Aaron from Generation Why. There will even be a live episode of Our Americana and a very cool Playlist by TCB episode featuring me and the entire research team. Guests, we'll get to check out my new speakeasy, the green Room, tour the studio and get elbow deep in the research process. This is a once in a lifetime event where you'll get to enjoy the berkshers, share fun activities with the podcast hosts you love the most, and really dig into podcasting and all the shows I have produced along with my friends. Book your tickets today by clicking the link in the show notes. And if that doesn't work for you, why don't you think about? If not now when? For example, we are going to the Galapagos Islands January eleventh through seventeenth. Haven't you always wanted to go? And if not now, when will you go? And wouldn't you go during the winter here in the States to escape to the warmth with like minded new friends who love true crime bullshit as much as you do, but also love the experience of travel, seeing animals and getting away from it all. These Trova trips have made me lifelong friends. They are such a great way to meet new people, get out of your world and shake things up. And like I said, if you're not going to go to the Galopagos now, will you ever? Book your trip today by clicking the link in the show notes, And now here's the show. Listening to the first episode of True crime bullshit is an odd and often emotional experience for me. There was a lot going on in my life at the time, a lot that heavily impacted my work on the show and what the first episode would eventually become. Hell, who I would eventually become. I guess as a whole, I'm neither disappointed with nor proud of the episode. I think it asked some very tough and important questions, perhaps questions that people weren't really willing to challenge themselves with at the time, thus the very strong pushback I got. I think in the following ten years are feelings surrounding and the complexities of true crime have changed and become much more nuanced. But back in twenty eighteen, people recoiled at me asking whether Keys deserved empathy. People were incensed that I was deliberately referring to Keys as Izzy, the name he went by and was referred to, and people were annoyed that I was asking about the general public's interest in and commercialization of true crime, despite the fact that they were both things I was explicitly doing at the time and continue to. There was, also, of course, the fact that I was openly gay and discussed being assaulted, albeit very briefly. On the podcast. People made opportunities of this to unleash their most vile homophobia onto me in emails, comments, and podcast reviews. I was accused of being in love with and or wanting to fuck Israel Keys, a dead serial killer. I was told I was too much of a pussy to truly tell this story. The word faggot, very frequently misspelled, came up a lot on social media and in my email. But digging so deep into what true crime was and being so open about who I was were never part of the original outline of the show. When I made the decision to tell the Key story back in twenty sixteen, it was going to be exactly that a retelling. But then life made some unexpected changes to me and my approach. In mid twenty sixteen, I started pouring myself into the Keys case. I was spending about ten hours a day every day listening and re listening to his FBI interviews. When I wasn't doing that, I was on Namous in the Charlie Project for hours at a time. I was taking notes, making maps, reading about psychopathy and profiling and crime. We'd moved to Brooklyn, in October of twenty fifteen, and despite trying my hardest, I could never really make a life for myself there. What I'd learned years later in Therapy Betterhelp dot Com slash TCB was that New York City was essentially a powder keg for my CPTSD. Anytime I left our bedstae apartment, I was overcome by, sometimes even paralyzing anxiety. I started developing nervous tics, weird fixations on the zippers of my coats, picking at my fingernails, being hypervigilant when out in public. I was nervous all the time. So I stayed in and I worked on the podcast, and so the majority of my waking hours were spent with Israel Keys in his interviews, dissecting his words, searching for answers, looking for potential victims, trying to make connections day in and day out, often ten to fourteen hours a day, every day. And then I had a mental health emergency. I woke up in a hospital bed at Woodhall Hospital, and upon waking up, was almost immediately rushed to the psychiatric ward for what would be a twenty four hour hold. Of course, no one would tell me that at the time I didn't know where I was being taken or that I'd be there for the next twenty four hours. Those twenty four hours would easily become the worst twenty four hours of my life. The psych ward at Woodhall is essentially two giant rooms, one that is mostly empty and another with a TV and about ten beds. There were probably twenty or so other patients in there at the time, and there was nowhere to clean yourself, nothing to brush your teeth with. Bathroom use was observed, and the staff didn't talk to you other than a five minute meeting with a psychologist. On the television for the duration of my stay was a blind Spot marathon. Yes, they were blaring a psychological crime thriller in the psych ward. I took the soul available bed and waited, still not knowing how long I'd be there or even why I was there. I worried that at some point someone would try to take that bed from me. I closed my eyes, tried to block out the TV, and just listened to everything else happening around me. Out of both fear and self preservation, no one in the facility was allowed to take outside medication, and what that resulted in the absolute worst part of those twenty four hours was listening to people arrive in coherence. Although often coherent distress slowly devolve into madness, psychosis, paranoia. People who arrived lucid at hour one or two were screaming, crying, fighting by hour four or five. And this happened over and over again. I got out of my bed exactly three time, once to go to the bathroom, once to eat a cheese sandwich. I hate cheese, but knew if I did anything that could be perceived as abnormal or unhealthy that it would likely mean I'd have to spend even more time there. And then finally, when Andrew was given clearance to visit, I will never for the rest of my life forget how distressed and upset he looked.
Speaker 2: That night.
Speaker 1: I spent twenty four hours with an intimate view of both mental distress and our mental health system, specifically how broken it is. And when I finally got to leave at about eleven a m. The following morning, I left more shell shocked and distressed than I was when I entered. I stayed in bed for the next two days, and we never told anyone other than very close family. In fact, this is the very first time I'm publicly speaking about it, and it's the first time in years I've spoken about it at all. When I eventually got out of bed, I spent a lot of time evaluating my life, my choices, my relationships, my priorities. I investigated how I could exist and thrive. I spent hours picking apart my past and all the decisions and roads that got me to where I was. I tried desperately to come to terms with how the me that I knew could be the me that ended up in that place. And when I started to get back to work on the podcast, I had some really tough questions for myself. How do I straddle the dichoticmy of my obsession as both a path toward personal fulfillment and one of self harm? Why was I Why are we so willing to let darkness in? How can I do this thing that simultaneously makes me so happy and so anxious? And that's how episode one became what it is. I needed to tell this story that I'd spent so much time with Gamble my mental health, for the work I'd invested myself in, but I also needed to understand and discuss our obsession with darkness. I needed to know what true crime was doing to us individually and writ large. I also knew that I needed to live with radical honesty and transparency. I couldn't hold things in anymore for fear of burdening or discomforting others. I couldn't live in shame anymore. I had to articulate my suffering in a way that emancipated me and inspired and empowered others. Less than a year later, I pressed publish on that first episode of True Crime. Bullshit. It belonged to the world. Now to a lesser extent, so did I, for better and worse, and now so does this. I am turning forty five this year, which is harder to say than it is to feel, because at this age you feel everything. You spend all day taking care of everyone else, work, life, pets, partners, and you realize that how you sleep actually affects everything, energy, mood, focus, health. At some point, you stop chasing trends and just want to invest in comfort that lasts and makes every day feel as great as it can. Bowl and Branch Betting is designed for exactly that kind of rest. From their signature organic cotton sheets to plush pillows, breathable blankets, and temperature regulating comforters. Everything is made to create a bed that truly supports good sleep. It's incredibly soft, breathable, and built to get better over time. It's a kind of sleep you don't compromise on anymore. A lot of customers start with the sheets, but once they feel them, they upgrade the whole bed. I started with the sheets and a blanket, and I will tell you the sheets have improved my sleep and thus my days so much. They never get overly hot or sticky or itchy. They're silky soft and incredibly breathable, and make falling asleep and staying asleep so much easier than before. If you're like me and good sleep is an imperative part of a good day, I cannot recommend Bowlin Branches signature organic cotton sheets enough, especially now in the summer, when it's hot outside and you want to stay cool at night in bed. Upgrade your sleep with Bowlin Branch. Get fifteen percent off your first order plus free shipping at Bowlandbranch dot com. Slash true Crime BS with code true Crime BS. That's Bowl End Branch b O L L A N D. Branch dot com slash true crime bs code true crime bs to unlock fifteen percent off exclusions apply.
Speaker 3: My concern the problem is nowadays, the more stuff my name is attached to, the more likely it is that somebody's going to try to do some kind of stupid frickin' TV special or you know, you know how it is nowadays like the oldest true crime bullshit that people are obsessed with.
Speaker 1: This is true crime bullshit. I'm your host, Josh Hallmark, and this is a serialized story of Israel Keys. It started when I was a kid, you see, I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area in the nineteen eighties, on the heels of the Zodiac, the massacre at Jonestown, the murderers of Leonard Lake and Charles Ing, back when unsolved mysteries and America's most wanted were becoming primetime staples. I guess you could say true crime has always been a cultural touch point for my generation. Of course, up until recently it was mostly only talked about with hushed tones in the backs of bars with your weird friends. And then podcasts and investigation discovery created a community. Who killed Hayman Lee? And what happened to Mora Murray became water cooler debates, and over time we all became more and more comfortable casually talking about murder. That's actually where I first heard about Israel Keys at the office coffeemaker. I had just started a new job in Seattle and quickly went about identifying my own weird murder friend. I don't exactly remember how we came out to each other, but we soon found ourselves deconstructing episodes of disappeared each Tuesday morning over our cubicle walls. We were both fascinated by disappearances, how someone could just vanish. We're trained to crave answers and tidy conclusions, and I think that's why these cases can so easily become obsessions. We need to know what happened. And that's how she knew I'd be just as terrified of Israel as she was. He'd just been arrested, and while his identity had been concealed from most of the world, his roots in Seattle led to enough local chatter that a story made his way to our desks. In an attempt to get information about his other crimes, the FBI made a deal with Israel that they wouldn't release his name to the media as long as he continued to work with them. We'll get into this deal more in futureppes. But if you hadn't heard of him before now, well this is probably why very little is actually known about Israel's crimes. As we'll explore, he was incredibly meticulous in concealing his activities and avoiding being caught. Essentially, we knew he was a serial killer with victims all across the country who killed it random. He had no victim profile. Israel contradicted a lot of what we know about serial killers, mostly because he had studied them.
Speaker 3: So I guess I identify most or my favorite, if you have to put it that way, would be the ones that I identify most with. Yeah, that's a fair way to say it. I don't know, maybe just going off of what I read Ted Bundy. Maybe I don't know because I don't have a lot of respect for someone line because because of the way they lived.
Speaker 2: I guess, I don't know. Did you like reading about all of them?
Speaker 4: But yeah, identify when you start reading about them, when did you realize I mean, did you start reading about them because you were curious about you or did you was it a study guide sort of speak.
Speaker 2: I mean that might be a weird question too. Did you learn things from to do not do?
Speaker 4: Or was it just curiosity of do you have anything in common with them?
Speaker 2: Is that you were looking for?
Speaker 3: If you think, Well, the first book I read was I think it was called mind Hunter, and it was written by an FBI profiler.
Speaker 2: John Douglass.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I read that years and years ago, probably when I was fifteen or sixteen, and I was, yes, somewhat disturbed by it, just because, Uh, I don't know, It's always been that way.
Speaker 2: It's always.
Speaker 3: Felt like I was kind of reading about myself in a lot of those.
Speaker 2: Books, most really interesting names. It's all interesting reading. Why didn't you like b TK? He was a hag number of years he seemed to get away. He got away with him for a long time. That was the most disappointing.
Speaker 3: Thing about him is that he never had to get caught, and.
Speaker 2: He just got bored so that he was too much.
Speaker 3: He was too soft in his old age to actually go out and do anything against me. He decided to go the publicity you're oute without actually.
Speaker 2: Doing anything again, That's what was disappointing. He was also pretty unusual in that he that he was able to stop.
Speaker 3: Plus I saw the live prison interview, and my impression of him.
Speaker 2: His personality is that.
Speaker 3: He was actually sorry, yeah, for the things that he had done younger, kind of like repented or thought he was trying.
Speaker 2: Repenting of his waist kind of thing. And I don't know I think it was for real, because I honestly, I don't think if it was, I don't think.
Speaker 3: If he really didn't believe that he was repenting of his sins, I don't think he ever would have stopped.
Speaker 5: Because he stopped for like twenty years.
Speaker 2: I don't know, my mind, that's impossible. But why why do you say that? Just because of the way he the way he killed people that you know, it's a pretty obsessive, compulsive act to kill someone that way. It's not it's not like your gang bang or doing a drive by or something.
Speaker 1: So Israel learned from their mistakes. He was incredibly controlled. He planned his murders well in advance, sometimes even years ahead. He had kill kits hidden all the United States, and rather than seeking out victims, he let his victims come to him. He would travel to remote areas all across the country, paying in all cash, flying into airports hundreds of miles away from his destination. Also as to leave no real trace of where he'd actually been, he tempered his urges by robbing banks, burglarizing homes, and committing random arsons. That's how he was able to stay so controlled in his killings. In fact, the only reason he was caught is because he eventually strayed from all that.
Speaker 3: Well, back when I was smart, I would.
Speaker 2: Do it. I would let them come to me. I don't understand just a remote area, you know, no.
Speaker 3: Kind of lay to a remote area that's not anywhere near where you live, but that other people go to as well, you might not get exactly what you're ls, not as much to choose from in a manner speaking.
Speaker 5: But there's also no witnesses. Really, there's nobody else around. So and then when they when they disappear a lot of times, nobody's really.
Speaker 3: Surprised, cause it happens all the time.
Speaker 6: But what I'm trying to take us So, but if somebody's camping in a remote spot, someone's gonna know that they didn't come home. Right, So, did you have other things that you looked for in a pictum.
Speaker 2: No, it was you know, it's just you asking me what type of people I would pick.
Speaker 6: Or yeah, what prop or whether there was a weddinarly habitype I had preference, but that it wasn't.
Speaker 2: What's the preference? Well, lightweight?
Speaker 7: Is that because of attraction or because of disposal?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's kind of makes it easier, Okay, but you know it's not. It's not a deal breaker.
Speaker 1: The other thing that kept Israel under the radar for so long is he was very good at hiding bodies. In fact, as of today, only one of his victim's remains have ever been recovered, and that recovery only happened because Israel guided the FBI to her body. Even in multiple cases where he's told the FBI where the bodies are, they still haven't been able to recover them. I mentioned missing people before, how easy it is to become obsessed with missing persons cases. Well, it turns out Israel had that same obsession. One thing I love about summer is how easy everything feels. The days are a little more relaxed, and I find myself reaching for the same comfortable, go anywhere pieces again and again and That's why I keep coming back to Quince, because they focus on well made essentials that naturally become those everyday staples that you actually live in all season long. For example, I love Quince's one hundred percent European linen pants, and their shirts are super breathable, easy to throw on, and the summer upgrade your rotation needs, starting at just thirty four dollars, Their teas are soft enough to live in all day, and the lightweight cotton sweaters are exactly what you want when your summer nights cool down. Everything at Quince's priced fifty to eighty percent less than similar brands because they work directly with ethical factories and cut out the middleman, so you're paying for exceptional quality and not brand markup. I recently bought three of Quince's Japanese Lotus teas, and as I said before, they fit well, they feel good, the fabric feels rich and expensive, it's got the perfect weight to it, and they look great. They're fashionable staples that I can wear with tons of different outfits throughout the years, and they start at just twenty nine to ninety. And remember, Quince isn't just selling clothing. They've become a trusted favorite for everything from home products, to travel products to everyday essentials. Like I said, we've used them for caviaar, housewares, suitcases. Quince truly does have everything, and it's the first place we go when we're looking for gifts. So make your summer wardrobe easier. Go to quints dot com slash TCBs for free shipping on your order and three hundred and sixty five day returns Now available Canada too. That's qu i Ncee dot com slash TCBs for free shipping and three hundred and sixty five day returns quins dot com slash TCBs. In the FBI files, they found images of over forty missing persons on his computers, and a large majority of those missing persons can not be attributed to Israel. Either they happened during his adolescence or before he was born, or they have just been proven not to be him. One case in particular Susan Powell, whom we know was her husband, And I wonder why Israel would spend so much time looking into all these missing persons.
Speaker 9: Well, it certainly could be that he had developed a paraphilia or a sexual debiance regarding missing people.
Speaker 1: This is doctor Catherine Ransland, a renowned criminal psychologist best known for her work with Dennis Rader, the serial killer, better known as bt K. Catherine has studied Israel pretty extensively, and just last week appeared on Doctor Oz talking about him. We'll be hearing more from Catherine throughout the series.
Speaker 9: I think he was fascinated with it. He wanted to, you know, learn the details of it, not necessarily to assist what he was doing, so much as to fantasize about them and maybe even to imagine himself as being the one who was responsible for them missing, even though you know, in a number of cases clearly he's not. And we do have suspects, you know, very good suspects in some of them, like Susan Powell. But I do think that maybe there's something in his sexual fantasies that is related to missing people, such that he would collect these stories. It's kind of like people who are have a fascination with car crashes, so they have all leics car crash photos. In fact, we know a serial killer, Michael Swango, a medical serial killer who who had that fascination and he collected all kinds of photographs of car crashes from newspapers because that was his fetish. And I think I think it's fair to say that Israel Keyes had a fetish about missing people, which is why he wanted to ensure that his victims didn't get found. That fascination is unusual in paraphilias. Is a very unique area of study because we have thousands of paraphilias and these are things when someone is developing sexually, and especially males, they become attached to objects or experiences that become part of the arousal mechanism. That can range from anything from you know, having a fascination with high heeled shoes to reading the Bible to we had one serial killer at a fascination with how how sounded when metal hit you know, flesh, and so he developed this fetish for train wrecks and he would even you know, engineer train wrecks so you could sit on the hill and watch them and you know, have a ur gasmic type of experience. This sounds very bizarre, but it's it's all about what's going on during the person's development, and I firmly believe that Israel Keys had a fetish for missing people.
Speaker 1: All this is to say that when I first heard about Israel that day in the office break room, I was immediately fascinated. I set up Google alerts on him and waited and waited for seven months. The FBI's first press release came over a year after his capture. That's how committed they were to the deal they made with him. They kept their promise until the day he died. He killed himself after he was accidentally issued a razor in prison. And we'll get more into that incrediblealy bizarre event in a future episode. The FBI's press release reads as follows.
Speaker 10: Deedrefike's Special Agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation for the State of Alaska announced yesterday a timeline of events in the Israel Keys investigation to include information about possible on self homicides and other crimes. Anyone with information concerning Keys is encouraged to contact the FBI at one eight hundred call FBI. Based upon the investigation conducted following his arrest in March twenty twelve, Israel Keys is believed to have committed multiple kidnappings and murders across the country between two thousand and one and March twenty twelve. Keyes lived in Washington State from two thousand and one to March two thousand seven, at which time he moved to Alaska. While living in Alaska, Keys traveled extensively while working as a general contractor. In a series of interviews with law enforcement, Keys described significant planning and preparation for his murders, reflecting a meticulous and organized approach to his crimes. Keys admitted responsibility for robbing several banks during this time frame, two of which investigators have corroborated. Keys used the proceeds from his bank robberies to pay for his travel, along with money he made as a general contractor. Keys also admitted to traveling to various locations to leave supplies he planned to use in future crimes. Key stated that he buried cases throughout the United States. The FBI recovered two caches buried by Keys, one in Eagle River, Alaska, and one near Blake Falls Reservoir in New York. The caches contained weapons and other items used to dispose of bodies. Keys indicated that other caches he buried throughout the US contained weapons, money, and items used to dispose of victims. Investigators believe Keys did not know any of his victims prior to their abductions. He described several remote locations that he frequented to look for victims parks, campgrounds, troughheads, cemeteries, boating areas, et cetera. Keyes also admitted to frequenting prostitutes during his travels, and it is unknown at this time if he met any of his victims in this manner. Keys indicated the victims are male and female and range in age from late teens to the elderly. Keys told the investigators his victim's disappearance received little, if any media coverage. Investigators believed Keys is responsible for eleven homicides. Key stated his murders occurred in less than ten states, but did not disclose all of the locations. Keys described crossing into multiple states during the abduction, murder, and disposal of a victim. It is not unlikely that in some cases Keys abducted a victim from one state, transported the victim to another state where he or she was murdered, and potentially drove the victim to a third state to dispose of the body. Keys admitted to burglarizing twenty to thirty homes throughout the United States and talked about committing arson as a means to cover up a homicide. The following is a timeline that articulates the information provided by Keys and known to law enforcement about Keys's criminal activities. It also includes travel dates and locations that investigators believe Keys may have committed a homicide.
Speaker 1: The time line is a lengthy and broad list of Israel's travels over a fourteen year period, and will spend a lot of time pouring over it. A map of these travels has covered my dining room table for the past year. I've stared at it over meals and during research breaks. I've come to know this map very well, a sort of committed it to memory. That's the thing. After the press release, the Google alerts were few and far between and were mostly a whole lot of nothing. As time went on, I couldn't believe there were no updates, no bodies recovered, no theories, no witnesses. Much like as victims. It was as though the entire case of Israel Keys had just disappeared. But I couldn't get it out of my mind. And so two and a half years ago I decided to create this podcast. I began meticulously studying Israel Keys. I became well acquainted with every missing person in every place he'd ever been. I studied what I could of his childhood, his upbringing, his religious background. I submitted as many Freedom of Information Act requests as I could afford, and I became more and more obsessed with, at the very least, identifying his victims. Here is an ugly truth that I want to get out right from the start. We will probably never know for certain who his victims were. We can come to very informed and reasonable conclusions, and we will throughout this series, but without bodies, we will never know for sure. And in the almost seven years since his arrest, there's only been one. In the years that I've been investigating is and working on this podcast, my objective has evolved a bit. There have been moments that have drastically changed how I look at all this. There have been moments that have made me severely question the ethics in doing all of this, and we'll be exploring this throughout the podcast. True Crime Bullshit is as much about true crime in general as it is about Israel Keys. Here's a few examples of how researching this case has changed my perspective on the genre. About a year ago, I came across a post in a true crime related Facebook group. Someone had posted that their neighbor had been murdered the night before and they were watching through their window as the police investigated the scene. They would be giving Facebook updates as the case progressed. There was something so disturbing about the frenetic excitement of the post, how true crime had made actual murder somewhat titillating, to the extent that being around it or a part of it, was now so provocative and almost admirable, which made me question if my investigation into Israel was any different. Then there was the slow burn of going through the FBI files. There's over two thousand pages, which includes everything from chain of custody to warrants and searches, to interviews with friends and family, to tip line reports, basically everything from the truly mundane to case shattering evidence. In reading these files, I came to know everyone involved with the case quite well, and the story of Israel Key slowly started to include the stories of each of these people. The FBI agents, his friends and family, the friends and family of his victims and presumed victims, the people calling into the tip lines, and all the missing people in their families, whether related or not, who came up during the investigation. There was so much humanity in all of this, and over time I became just as compelled by that as I was by the case itself. And as I began reaching out to people, I started to wonder if it was even fair for me to be dredging up these dark and sometimes traumatizing pieces of their histories, of their histories, was it even mine to look into? My point is, the more time I spent with this case, the more it made me question everything I felt and thought I knew about true crime and how it affected everyone involved, including its observers and consumers. So I reached out to some friends who host true crime podcasts, along with some of their listeners, to get a sense of how this genre impacts us and why we're all so captivated by it. We'll be hearing from them throughout the series, but this is where we started. When did you develop an interest in true crime?
Speaker 11: Ooh early? I am definitely my grandmother's granddaughter. My mom's mom always loved like true crime books, and then obviously is that kind of genre evolved. She's very much into court TV and true crime television. She is in her late the ripe age of late eighties, so podcasting is not even close to being on her radar. But I just feel like this genre has exploded even more with the introduction of podcasts, which are such a weirdly intimate way to learn about true crime. And then there's all these other little communities that you can join, like through the podcasting world on social media. So I've been just kind of along for the ride as it's developed. I definitely got a thirst for it with the first season of Cereal, which I know is very much akin to what a lot of other people did, but I'm like an old school Forensic Files fan, and yeah, true crime novels are the jam.
Speaker 12: I think I've always sort of had an interest, at least a passing interest in society, the system, trials, and serial killers. I used to make dark ambient music back in the day when I was a teenager, and I would splice in news reports and serial killers talking into the music, So from my earliest memory I've had some sort of interest in there. But when I started the Generation Why, I actually went to jury duty for a first degree murder trial, and that's what really I guess set me off or opened me up to the idea of true crime in a podcast.
Speaker 13: So I think my very first interest was when I was really young and my mom used to take me to Barnes and Noble and let me pick out books, and I found this Jack the Ripper book and I was like, Ooh, I'm going to read this. And then after that, I think that my real love probably blossomed. I'd say three years ago when I was going on a cruise and I wanted to do a deep dive into that Titanic, and I found an episode that generation why I did on the Titanic. Then they did an episode on this girl who went missing on a cruise ship, and then I kept listening to their catalog and I was like, I forgot how much I loved true cried. Then I just started listening to more and more podcasts and then decided to start my own with a friend.
Speaker 14: As far back as Jonestown and which is what in the seventies. That was forty some years ago, and I saw I was nine when I got into that, but that just just floored me. The pictures, seeing all the bodies, it just it just struck a chord with me for some reason.
Speaker 15: I think I've always been kind of interested in those things that are mysterious. I come from a town where there was a very famous murder, so that really piqued my interests. I've just always been kind of interested in what makes people tick, and it is beyond me uy someone would kill someone.
Speaker 16: I was probably like I was born at eighty seven and so, and when John ban A Ramsey passed away, I was eight or nine, and I just remember being at the grocery store and seeing her picture everywhere and always ask my parents like what happened?
Speaker 17: Or you know, what is murder? And that's why they had to sit down for Chad had to explain to me what murder was. And I just remember finding I was like, what people do that. Since then, it's just been you know, all the big cases after cases, and being really young and making my parents true crime books that they would randomly read and probably not supposed to because I had more questions, but started when I was pretty young and it just kind of stuck to it.
Speaker 1: And what do you think is so captivating for people about true crime?
Speaker 11: People like a taboo subject and now there's this like intricate way to connect with other people that also like the taboo subject of true crime, and there's just something more titillating about like a delicious mystery that's true, where it's like it could happen to you. I know that sounds a little sick, but I think it's just human nature for people to be like, oh god, you know, I'm even more entrenched in this because it's real.
Speaker 12: That this might be a poor comparison, but I think that whether it be like a soap opera or some sort of fictionalized TV series where you get involved in these characters' lives, well, with true crime, it's real. It's real life stories that are hinged on life and death.
Speaker 13: I think people are obsessed with the why why do these people do the things that they do? And I think that the unknown is so fascinating to us, and most of us don't know what it's like to kill someone or to have that urge. So it's really interesting to look into true crime and try to figure out why they kill.
Speaker 15: It's the mystery and it's why someone would do that. I feel like I am an incredibly honest person, I you know, to fault, and I get myself in trouble because of how honest, I am so doing something like committing a murder and then going around having to hide it and lie constantly. I just can't wrap my head around it.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 17: I think it's always been captivating. I think that now we just have a platform or talk about it, with social media being so popular, just even older cases that you hear about, you know, from different podcasts. It sounds like everybody's always been interested in it. There's just more of a platform.
Speaker 1: And is there a specific type of true crime story that's most interesting to you?
Speaker 12: I personally want to hook. I want to I want a story that's some kind of wacky detail in it, whether it be a lack of evidence or something the murderer does that's just completely out of line with what you would expect with Israel Keys. That guy, his mo and his motives were definitely not what we've seen from other serial killers.
Speaker 11: I mean, I've said this before, I'll say it again. Like the more taboo and like horrifying it is, the more I'm probably gonna be fascinated by it. For me personally, one of my favorite episodes that we did of Whining Crime is about cannibalism. It's something I could never imagine doing, and then learning about it was so fascinating and gross and creepy, and it just like did it for me.
Speaker 15: You know, I've always kind of liked the macabre, So the mysteries where we don't know who has committed these crimes, it peaked my interest, Like thinking about the more Murray case, like what happened there, what is the true story behind it? And stuff like that really interests me.
Speaker 14: Probably serial killers. Jeffrey Dahmer is an enigma to me because I think if he had had the sources to discuss his homesexuality, he may have found a better outlet, and he may not because he was very remorseful what he did. You know, I kind of feel bad for him at times because of that. But just the serial killer, how they can do it, how they can live their lives knowing that they've taken so many lives and seemingly be okay with it.
Speaker 13: I have a not favorite type. I hate unsolved cases, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be the serial killer cases, just because you get to see them evolve and figure out their motive, and it's also sometimes easier to find out why they do the things that they do.
Speaker 1: Is there a serial killer who scares you the most?
Speaker 12: In Kansas City, there was the Kansas City Butcher and his name was Robert Burdella or Bob Burdella. I personally think that he was one of the most heinous, twisted serial killers out there.
Speaker 11: Gasey because clowns are the fucking worst.
Speaker 15: The Golden State Killer. I mean, he is caught now, but that's just absolutely chilling.
Speaker 14: Probably either Gasey the one to go after the young boy, John Wayne Gacy and Dean Coral. Anything against kids just is wrong.
Speaker 16: Ted Bundy, I always liked this a good obsession with.
Speaker 17: I mean, I could go out of people.
Speaker 13: Do Israel keys. He was so calculated with the burying kill kits and picking victims at random that I think that's what makes it so makes his cases so hard to solve, is that he had absolutely no tie to these people. He wasn't stalking them for days before like BTK did. He just picked people randomly. And if somebody is just randomly murdered, that's terrifying to me that I could just be picked for no reason, just because I was at the wrong place at the I guess wrong time.
Speaker 1: On March thirteenth, twenty twelve, at eleven forty five am, Israel Keys was pulled over were outside of Lufkin, Texas well, on his way to his sister's wedding.
Speaker 7: So you had done a really good job, though, of distancing yourself. I mean yeah, I mean even from reading the news articles, they they were on one totally different track from you know, So you had done a really good job of distancing yourself. Were you worried that you were gonna they were gonna connect it to you?
Speaker 3: No, I just my thing was always not to have anything in case anything ever was connected to me. But then yeah, I, like I said, I got kind of hooked on the publicity and I would be at home late at night or whatever and be like, well, I wonder if there's any morning story, you know, like a couple of glasses oft, and be like, I'm gonna check on that. And then I do the searches and read and you know, start commenting on stuff. And I knew that I was I knew that, you know, I was getting stupid, I guess so.
Speaker 2: But I didn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was still planning ahead. I never had intention of ever being caught, and.
Speaker 4: So if I could just go back to that when you're traveling in Texas, where you went. I know you went to you went to Houston, New Orleans, back to Dallas, and then you said you went south on the those days thirteenth, fourteenth, and did driving around south?
Speaker 2: Did you just stay in Texas? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was, yeah, I don't know. I don't know what I was thinking. I was, like I said, I was kind of.
Speaker 2: Kind of out of control.
Speaker 1: This is where Israel's story ends and where our story begins, if.
Speaker 11: One step can get us back up all that time.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on True Crime Bullshit, we'll discuss how Israel's final victim led to his arrest, how initially the FBI got it wrong, and the turmoil it brought to that victim's families, and who exactly Israel Keys was. If you enjoy True Crime Bullshit so far, stop by Apple Podcasts and rate and review it. I'd like to thank doctor Katherine Ramsland, Laney Hobbs from True Crime Fan Club for bringing the FBI press release to life, true crime podcasters and good friends Justin from Generation Why, Amanda from Wine and Crime, and Ailey from Murder Road Trip, along with true crime listeners Stephanie, Renee and Kendra. This episode was research, written, and produced by Me Your Host Josh Hallmark, with music by William Helfeier, Wife, Radical Face and Koshka The Cap All.
Speaker 2: The camps, that of Spain, lostenguri apprehension, and win
Speaker 1: Becomes clear