Speaker 1: This is Later with Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast More what You Hear weekday afternoons on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Mark Shulman is a monster drummer who's toward the world with some of the greatest rock and pop performers like Billy Idols share Stevie Nick's foreigner simple minds, and through all of his adventures and backstage antics, he's noticed some very character some very distinguishing things about all of them. They's put them all together in a book, The Attitude Equation. Rock Stars and all fields share their secret attitudes and Mark Shulman, it's great to have you on.
Speaker 3: WAI. What a pleasure. I love your energy. Man.
Speaker 2: Well, let's rock this. Yes, that's what it's all about, isn't it. I mean, like I think it was Norman Vincent Peel who said that enthusiasm and attitude make the difference.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well. Attitude is everything. Attitude is not only the foundation of what you do, it's the foundation of who you are. And attitude is the basic construct of everything in life. And here's the trick about attitude is that we can't control what happens for us most of the time, but at any point in your life. You have the power to change, control, or shift your attitude about what is happening to you, and that gives you leverage and power. And as your attitude is your point of view, it's where you're looking from. And you know what you're where you're looking from is critical. It's not what you see, it's not what you look at. It's what you see and perceive that determines your experience and your self perception. And here's what's crazy about attitude that most people don't know and why I wrote the book, and what the equation actually is is your attitude is what drives your behavior. I think about the power and leverage and that. So by shifting your attitude, you're shifting your behavior and your behaviors what drives the consequences their outcomes of your life. So by shifting your attitude, you're literally changing the outcomes of your life. And I've said on the stage for fourteen years with Pink, with Share, with Billy Idol, with Stevie Nicks, with Foreigner, and there's no accident to success. I've watched these amazingly powerful and successful people and how their attitudes have really shifted and created both their successes and their failures in this case obviously incredible successes. So I studied them, and then I also do these rock star performers in other fields. Everybody from Judd Apatoe, you know the wrote forty year old version and produced that, Howie Mandell, Ran Cardon, the business entrepreneur, Alex Benian who's the youngest best selling business author, Martina Nevertalova, and then obviously a bunch of drummers, some of my favorite drummers on the planet, and just ask them and had them tell me stories. What's so fun about the book is the book is all stories about how these top performers have used attitude and acknowledged that attitude is responsible for their successes and their failures. So it's not just my opinion, it's like you get to hear about all their cool stories and secrets. And then I had so much fun talking these people. I interviewed forty two people, So how lucky for.
Speaker 2: Me, right, The Attitude Equation is the book rock stars in all fields share their secret attitudes. Mark Schulman, who is a drummer in his own right. It must have taken a certain amount of attitude for you to put all this together. I mean, rock and roll in it's self has attitude.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, rock and roll is, as I said, you know where everything we are is based on attitude. And I can even tell some of my own stories about how I've had certain attitude shifts. Like an example, I auditioned for forder and I got the gig, and I found out that there was somebody else recording the album from a friend of mine. So I called up the manager and I said, well, what's going on, man, Althelm, I'm not doing the album. He said, well, the producer, Keith Forsy, doesn't know you. He's not comfortable. So he hired his own drummer. And most people would have backed off. I said, well, can I have his phone number? And I was shaking and I called him on the phone and I left him a message and I said, listen, Keith, I know you use this other great drummer, tel Bergman, but if you're ever in need of a drummer, give me a call. I'm on the phone. Three months later, because of that attitude shift that I had at that moment, he calls me. He said, you know I need a drummer. I'm recording a song for Beverly Hills Cop three, The Pointer Sisters. Can you come down? I said, of course I can, and I came down and I was on the spot and I played it on the first take, and from that point on, Keith started calling me. And Keith Forcey was the writer producer for Billy Idol for Simple Minds. And if you look at my background and my resume, you'll see that I played with Billy Idol in Simple Minds. And that's all because of that one call, that attitude that I had about Keith and just having the guts and the decision that hey, I've always had this philosophy about gigs and about work that someone's got to get the gig, it might as well be me. And I joke with people, I say, Keith Forcey bought my house.
Speaker 2: The Attitude Equation rock stars in all fields share their secret attitudes. Mark Schulman is the author of the book. He's also a drummer Energy. What role does energy play in attitude?
Speaker 3: Energy is everything because we can always there's a certain band control, but we can literally change our physiology. And that's what I do. If you're feeling low. I just did a video about this about looking at the swagger and even the posture of rock stars, and you can emulate that swagger and that posture. If you are feeling low or you're feeling like you don't have the energy, stand up straight, throw your shoulders back. And I believe that everybody has the rock star DNA. It's not just for the people on stage. You have your own stage, and you can do that rock star performance and assume that rock star point of view by literally having that swagger, by rocking different, by talking different, by deciding, and you truly make it decision. When you make a decision, you're cutting off all other possibilities and you're committing. If you commit to yourself and you commit to having this rock star type of attitude, you can take control. Your communication can be stronger, and as I said, your posture is stronger. So we have the ability at any point in time, we can't control what happens to us, but we always have the power to change, control or shift our attitudes. And the attitude is what drives your behavior. Now think about the power and that and your behavior is what determines the consequences of your life. That's a time's bigle will see. That is the attitude equation, and I interviewed all of these people about their successes and their failures based on attitude.
Speaker 2: And the attitude equations in all fields, sharing their secret attitudes and the author's Mark Schulmann. You enjoy what you do, definitely. We can hear that enthusiasm in your voice. I enjoy what I do to the point where you know, I can come into work and the power can be out and I'll still find something to do that I will enjoy or learn from it. How important is enjoying what you do? And if you don't enjoy what you do, how important is finding something you will enjoy doing.
Speaker 3: Well? Again, that's a decision. It's an attitude shift. Who do you want to be? You can choose who you are at any moment, and you can choose to focus on what isn't working, or you can choose to focus on what is working. And it's not just silly optimism. It's a choice. And by making that choice and again making that decision, meaning you cut off all other possibility making that commitment, you can find joy in anything. And that is the basic philosophy of the rock stars, because the rock stars live in the moment, It's about being thankful and looking at what can I find joy in right now? What is going on right now that is going to shift not only who I am, but then I'm going to be able to influence everybody else around me. And then you raise the sort of modus operendi, the attitude scale, so to speak, of everybody else. You have the power to influence not only yourself but everybody else. And that is huge because one of my philosophies is we're all.
Speaker 2: Here to be of service, and the attitude equation tells you more. The book is out now and Mark Schulman has written it. Rock stars in all fields share their secret attitudes and then you can too. We thank you for the Attitude, Mark Schulman, and for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you Lee, what a pleasure man appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and iHeartMedia Presentation