Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: And the man wearing Dennis Curran's old number six makes it to nothing with John Taylor. I was just gonna say underrated egg, deviled egg and Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 3: Now are you gonna go on the couch at eight o'clock tonight, sits down and let's put it.
Speaker 2: In hears Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock, we're in They're a boat downtown Vancouver and we're in the Paul Carson video. Thanks for us. Try this again. We're in the Paul Carsis citio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. Donny you dog the team on Check Don Taylor along with Rick Dolly Wall, Ryan Henderson our producer. He's the man at the controls or director. The voice of God is Derek Hiccup. At the start of the show, we move forward, how are you We're back?
Speaker 3: It's a Monday, Donnie. These things always happen on Mondays. Mondays.
Speaker 1: Round two of the Stanley Cup Playoffs starts tonight Florida at Toronto, Panthers at Leafs. Of course, the entire globe excited to see what the Leafs are up to least finishing ten points ahead of the Panthers in the Atlanta Division. But the Florida Panthers, I would say, go in his favorites based on the fact they made the Stanley Cup final last two years. One last year, they've got Kachuk although he's not completely healthy, and they have him back in Brad Marshawn. Very very interesting. Toronto Maple Leafs. You can say what you want about them. I don't want to see them do well. Just I don't have a problem with the team. I've said this a million times, just based on the way they're covered. You know, the guys with the national networks believing that the entire country polls for the Leafs. That's just not the case. Their defense is really good, I think, you know, led by Chris Tnniff Stalars, the former a Panther, and goal for them, it's going to be really interesting. But before that, all right, twenty twenty five NHL Draft Lottery takes place in New Jersey. The Sharks with the best odds of winning at twenty five and a half percent, Chicago second at thirteen and a half percent. I'm not going to run down every team, but the Canucks with the fifteenth worst record, they can only move up ten spots. So the best they can do is if I'm not mistaken. Spot number five prize is eries Erie Hotters defenseman Matthew Shaeffer. He's expected to go number one. Gavin McKenna, the kid from medicine Hat, will go number one next year in twenty twenty six. But right now the prize is we believe Matthew Shaeffer. This means what Rick.
Speaker 3: Well, First of all, I don't care for defenseman's available, Donnie. The Canucks got to get a centerment. Look at their top six center situation and then look on the farm. Do you see a centerman down there done that would potential top six? They need a centerman who can show promise someday as a top six center. They don't have anything in the system. I think that's what they got. The goals got to be to get a centerment with that first round pick.
Speaker 1: Jim Rutherford was on the year. Let me let me backtrack here. When I said, what do you think this means. What it means is draft lottery simulator. Oh tank a thund draft later later today, later on this show. We'll do that.
Speaker 3: We'll do that.
Speaker 1: I got a new restaurant to go to. Oh really, okay, not the taping barrel. Awesome, so you can look forward to that. You mentioned that the Canucks need but we all know this. They need a number one or number two. Said, do they have one a number one center? Yes they do. I thought they did, Yes they do. But he said they'd be willing to move their number one pick. This was John Shannon, appears on the show every every week on Wednesdays. He hosted one hundred percent Hockey podcast We're Gonna run. We hope to run some of those clips later on today. But he said on that one d percent Hockey podcast that they'd be willing to part with their first round draft pick in order to land at number one or number two center.
Speaker 3: So so Donnie asked yourself what the Canucks did last draft. Traded the first round pick, traded the second round pick, then they traded the third round pick. You have nothing coming from last year's draft, and you want to put the first pick and play boy, Oh boy, what's sabas for going to look like for prospects two three years down the road.
Speaker 1: Well, Atmospher's not a problem.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, But they also don't have a young stud's ready to step into the lineup. I mean they Lakara Mackie can't even get in the lineup. He's a healthy scratch done. That's not good. I mean, you know, they got some good American hockey ygue veterans down there. But boy, if you trade the first again, that's back to back. That's look at look at Tampa Bay. Okay, yes, look at Tampa Bay. Done. Look at Flora Vegas. They traded a ton of first round picks. Tampa Bay's doing that a lot lately too, so I but those.
Speaker 1: Bay, Tapa Bay has drafted very well.
Speaker 3: But they've also have a lot of success in the last five, six, seven, eight years. Canucks don't just it's just so.
Speaker 1: Strange because well frustrating, I should say for Canuck fans, because der Rutherford goes on this podcast and says they needed number one and number two center and they've got a guy making a lot of money who's supposed to be a number one and number two center. So that you think that spot's taken care of. They trade a guy who's the number one and number two center for Philip Heel. He's hurting all the best to him. But what's frustrating is like yesterday they had Horvat, Miller and Peterson and center was not an issue at all. It just seems it just seems like yesterday. So it's so stress in the middle, and you know, there's there's circumstances that they, I guess couldn't help with the Miller, Peterson few Philip Heel, who I think is a very good hockey player, and his concussion issue right now. So those things can't they can't control. But it is really frustrating for Knuck fans to.
Speaker 3: Hear that you mentioned it. Horvat, Miller, Patterson up the middle. The Canucks were one, two, three up the middle, one of the strongest teams in the national hockey Two of those guys gone, and the reason they're stuck today. They use those two guys to get top four defensemen, Horvat and Miller. They didn't fill the center right's position, didn't get much offense coming back. That's why they're stuck today in the top six.
Speaker 1: So that's why I've been saying for a long time that you know, if they're going to make a deal Jim Mutherford talked about that number one pick. Yeah, but also maybe dealing. And again this has happened so quickly from a position of strength, which now is defense. Yes, so maybe one of their defensemen has got to go in order to maybe as part of a package with a draft pick, to get a number one and number two center. Just again, it's happened so crazy, as you often say, my head spinning.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe they trade the kid will Ender. I don't know, don maybe now he's in play everything.
Speaker 1: Well, let let's let's let's let's go there. Have we got the clip by the way, Ryan, we don't. We don't have that clip. Okay, so let's let's take a left turn here. We're taking a couple of turns already on this show. The Stanley Cup playoff weekend, it is just it is just to go home. And I love that first round. You go home every night and there's just something so special. It never fails to disappoint. But two game sevens, both involving unlikely comebacks, Stars were down to nothing. I forgot this because yesterday's game just made me forget about everything because it was so damn good. Stars down to nothing in the third period, they win for to Miko random, Oh, you have three goals and one assist in the third period.
Speaker 3: It's got eleven points in his last three games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and tied for the NHL playoff for a scoring lead. This this second goal here, we're gonna see this Ryan the second goal here where he just powers through everybody on the left side. We're watching the replay of his first goal that got the Stars going. But and this is against his old team, of course, making this story even better. But just look at this. I mean, the guy's back pedaling, they're afraid of him, and then yes he got it was you know, extremely lucky there after arts skate and end, but just the power and the speed and he just just looked absolutely tremendous. And David Amberson and swear to god, he swore that he stole this off of me. But this is hockey, pro sports sports in general, the best reality television there is, because not only do you have these tremendous comebacks, and we're going to talk about Winnipeg and the in our next segment with Jamie Thomas, but not only did you have these double overtime in Winnipeg and that Stars comeback, but look at the main characters and Mikol Randon. People were what are the Stars doing rapping this guy? He's been a complete and then look what he does, Look what he does, and then hellabuck? I mean you watched the start of that game. There's no way they were gonna win that game. No, he gets his game back together. I know other players played well, especially for Fetti, but he was just he was as steady as you never would have guessed it. It's just such good television. It's such great entertainment, and to be there live, I can only imagine.
Speaker 3: There is nothing better than a Game seven in the National Hockey League playoffs. You had two teams down by two goals in the third period, Dallas comes back. I didn't see that, like fourid a road don The Jets scored two with six on five in the last two minutes, one with one second left, and a Canadian market Winnipeg, They're going nuts. Great television. You cannot beat a game seven in the National any sport. I don't care if you're the biggest NBA fan or an NFL fan, I'm just sorry. There is nothing that beats a Game seven and the dramatic stuff we saw in the last two games.
Speaker 1: But I think the best part about this is that the NHL game in the playoffs has gotten better. You didn't you didn't see comebacks like those two we saw on the weekend. I don't know, fifteen twenty years ago, maybe before the rule changes. We'll talk to Jamie McLennan about that. He's going to join us center eleven o'clock hour. But you see these comebacks now, like multiple goal comebacks late in games. You never saw them before. Yeah, you know, in the playoffs we always thought they were great. They're going They're better than they've ever been. Just just so entertaining. And Round two starts tonight again Florida Aftron. Okay, time for break, Ryan, We're good. Okay, here is what is coming up on the show? Is it just me? Dtmz In the eleven o'clock hour, I mentioned noodles, Jamie mcclennan and joining us just after eleven o'clock from TSN. He'll have a thing or two to say about Connor Hellibuck and what he saw last night. YEP, two stories there from him. He really settled down honors to win the hockey game. Big ride. The Twitter guy coming up later this hour and up next to an old friend of mine from our sports Net days. We worked together, but I'm not sure if I've ever met him because he was in Toronto, and yeah, I was in Vancouver. So Jamie Thomas is gonna join us. He is the host of the Ground Control podcast in Winnipeg and the check In Jets pregame show, and the Jets are moving on to Round two. Three Canadian teams in Round two for the first time since two thousand and four two and four special times in Winnipeg. So Jamie is next to look at this, It's an al Jamie show, Jamie mcclennan, Jamie Thomas, can you get on the phone to see if we can get Jamie Terriss from the BC line?
Speaker 3: Oh, good guy, offensive lineman, Jamie Terriss.
Speaker 1: We'll see what we can do about that. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks and putting up with our mini first segment. Hope you had a great weekend, Dohnny tell me the team on check donnig In.
Speaker 2: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA closing your business, we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help. For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca dot sales at ABLA auctions dot ca.
Speaker 3: The Bayside Resort is a boutique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the bluff above beautiful Parksville Beach, this beautiful ocean front property prides themselves on offering a uncompromising fusion up West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged. The setting is gorgeous, the memories.
Speaker 1: Last a lifetime.
Speaker 3: Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean view or an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, oceanfront restaurant, lounge, high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event. The Bayside Oceanfront Resort, the perfect choice any.
Speaker 1: Time of the year.
Speaker 3: It's called two five zero, two four eight eight triple three and book your stay.
Speaker 1: Today Monday, and all of our guests today, including Jamie Thomas, standing by sponsored by Pissant Motors. It's May Days at Poissan and they want to make sure you love your ride. Check them out at Pissant Motors basat motives dot com and find a ride you'll love. She's a sweet ride. Jets over the Blues game seven four to three in double overtime Sunday to talk about that and the fact that the Jets are going on to play Dallas in Round one starts Wednesday in Winnipeg. Jamie Thomas, host of the Ground Control podcast in the Peg and the Check In Jets pregame show. Jamie and I used to work at the same time at sports Net. Jamie, thanks for doing this, sir, long time no talk to how are you very good?
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. I imagine these hours are much better than when you were.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, but look who I have to work with, Jamie, So it all, it all evens out.
Speaker 4: That's what the universe has to balance itself out. Donnie life works.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, Jamie, do you have any idea where Sunday ranks in the all time list of great Winnipeg sports moments.
Speaker 3: It's got to be right up there.
Speaker 4: I have a buddy that grew up here, z Inspraser. He told me that's the great this Winnipeg Jets game in their history.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, I think winning Game seven in Nashville in twenty eighteen is a pretty big moment to get to your first Western Conference Final.
Speaker 4: But man, with the narrative surrounding this.
Speaker 5: Team heading the series against Saint Louis, and certainly after the three games in Saint Louis, Games three, four, and six, you could see why I would probably rank this up there since I've been here, like number one, because just the amount of pressure was on. You're the number one, You're you're the President's Trophy winner. Canucks fans know all about the pressure goes along with this, and it kind of reminded me of nineteen eighty nine as a Calgary kid when the when the Canucks put put Calgary to the very end. Just like that, just the pressure as the President's Trophy winner, and and just every that your opponent gives you everything you can handle in a little bit more, and you don't have your number one center, you lose your number one defenseman. And after two he plays two minutes in the first period. So the way things shook down and trailing by two goals with under five minutes to go, I just think it just it has to be up there, like just the amount of relief for so many people within the organization and certainly the fan base here it's out there, guys like it's I don't want to put too much emphasis on a on an opening round win, but for the amount of stuff that's going around, the negativity surround this organization, and in particular the guy between the pipes, I think that was an astronomical win for a lot more people than than people.
Speaker 1: Expect negativity in the organization. Do you want to switch cities?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 5: I was just going to start the show or the interview with how things going there is everybody logical at this moment?
Speaker 1: But no not.
Speaker 5: But that's the That's why we love them, and that's why we need them because it makes our show so much more interesting. It like, listen, there's a lot of I will give Jets fans credit man.
Speaker 4: They were.
Speaker 5: They were in intact all the way through the third period, and when they're down two goals, you know, they were standing, they were cheering, and when the last time in the Mestakov gets that second goal, you know, the roof goes off the building that the belief is there.
Speaker 4: And so and.
Speaker 5: Then for each time the two times that the Jets came back from Saint Louis, after Connor Heliba got chased, you know, the MVP chants seemed to get louder than they were in games one and two. So there is that support there now. You know, after Joseph scores to make a two nothing maybe not, but they hung in there. And whenever Hellibuck made a save, and you have to give a little bit of credit because he buckled down and started to look a little bit more like himself, was that game more along The cheers were there. So I there was nervousness around the city, but I think there's the belief that this team's a little bit different than in years past. And if you think where how long ago you go back, it's only two playoffs ago, where you know, Rick Bonus gave the old no pushback thing. A lot of things have changed within the organization, certainly on the ice, in the dressing room and everything that they've wanted to come here. That that belief and outside of recordversation success that's built for the postseason. A lot of the and you heard the term callouses and things that have hurt you before and now are that are that are helping you out. That's certainly the case right now for the Winnipeg Jets after that first round series.
Speaker 1: How'd to explain what's going on with Connor Hellibuck.
Speaker 5: I can't like I So it's so wild because of what for him to get pulled all three games in Saint Louis. Now, you know, I thought Scot o' neil did a great job each and every post game because he said there was there was. The Jets imploded around him in many of those situations. And you know, you know a couple of goals here and there, Yes, you can go there's no way that should have went in. But I think once it looked like they and I'm talking about the players, we're losing confidence because he Connor Hellibach, who's been their backbone for so long, what didn't look right.
Speaker 4: So of all the people management own ownership players.
Speaker 5: Connor Hellibuck needed that win, he needed that series win, and I believe that you'll see a different guy because I started to see a little bit more of him challenging the shooter and that little pep in his step when.
Speaker 4: He would make a save.
Speaker 5: That confidence started coming, and you think of all the games that he's won this organization over the years, maybe it was time for the players to help him out, to help him get out of where he is right now. But to answer your question, Johnny, I I don't know what it's. It's got to be up there, like it's got to be up in here somewhere that he doesn't have the same confidence, which to me doesn't make sense because I was at Four Nations face off and that had to be in the biggest game of his career in the in the in the final against Canada, and I thought he played outstanding. So I don't understand how that is not at the same level as the Stanley Cup playoffs considering the magnitude of the game. So hopefully this is this is a turning point for him. You know, wayde Flair is one of the best goaltending coaches out there. He's got a great pulse on Connor Hellibuck, but man, it was it was getting crazy around him in the conversation. I'm being asked, I'm seeing people talk about Eric commerce should start.
Speaker 4: I'm like, whoa, WHOA, Like that is a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 5: Vancouver fans know all about that too, where you start messing with your number one goaltender. So I'm happy for him. I'm not gonna lie. It's a great guy. He has done so much for this organization. It's just somebody needed to do something for him last night, and and a bunch of eighteen skaters certainly did that last thon.
Speaker 4: Let's go seventeen because my Jush Morcy Jamie.
Speaker 3: One guy allowed to sleep in today. Neil Pionk forty six minutes of ninety six. This guy's a warrior. He was almost being double shifted like that that studn Banham hockey at the Provincials.
Speaker 1: You know, get out there, get out there, just.
Speaker 6: Stay on the ice, stay on the ice, off the ice, just stay out there, get back out.
Speaker 3: That's the first defenseman to play forty plus minutes in a hockey game since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: He was unbelievable last night.
Speaker 5: He was, and it wasn't even so much the amount of Menasy was logging. It was like he was physical. He made a great play in overtime on a one on one Pope check the pock away from Jordan Tyrou, who is as good as they get in a one on one situation. And then just him and Dylan Samberg are just quite the pair. But to go on the number one power play because Morrissey isn't there, going up against other team's best players, because Morrissey isn't there, you know, enough cannot be said about Neil Piank and I don't think anybody here is questioning about the extension that he signed. But man like that is your importance right there. You have to rely on your depth in the Stanley Cup playoffs and to be able to and I'm not taking anything, you know, I don't want to say he's going to be the full time replacement of Josh morris He's hurt longer than this. But to know that you can lean on number four when forty four is not there is such a relief for everybody. And of course you want Morrissey in the lineup, but you know that, of course you don't your guys playing forty six minutes because you're gonna have six defensemen regardless, God willing.
Speaker 4: But it's the performance he put on last night is as good as it gets. Like that that, I don't think enough can be said about what you know, Peank did last night and a bounce back. He had a tough year last year.
Speaker 5: You know, his best friend died and that's got a pre skate accent over in Europe and that.
Speaker 4: Was that war on them all last year.
Speaker 5: But for him to bounce back this year, get the contract extension and then put up that performance in the biggest game in franchise history, that says a lot to me.
Speaker 3: Well, they want a Game seven without Mark Schiffley, and they want a Game seven without Josh Morrissey who got hurt early. Any chance, And what's the update on Morrissey and Shifeley, Boy, you're gonna need him against Dallas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like there there's no word on either one of them. Like Shipely skated the other day in a tracksuit, and there was some talk discussion that you know, maybe he could play his game time decision, but we all.
Speaker 4: Know the playoffs work.
Speaker 5: Reevaluation was the term that Scott O'Neil used last night about Josh Morrissey so that they didn't they didn't skate today, and of course they'll get back to business tomorrow morning here in Winnipeg, so we'll get I'll have more further clarification. But as you guys know, there is no nothing gets let out ever about injuries at this time of the year, and you're just hoping that that was you know, small time or something that Josh Morrison can bounce back from as the team starts on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: But man, like that was the war of attrition in that first round.
Speaker 5: I give saying there's a lot of credit because they knew they couldn't go you know, talent versus talent with the Jets. They targeted their best players, they took care of their best players, and they almost won the series because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stars finished ten points behind. It just kind of like the Florida and Toronto series in that they finished ten points behind the Jets. But I'm wondering are the Jets the underdogs in this series given the way Ran is playing if anything else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like they've seen a lot of Mico Ran this year. Like they've got the four games against Colorado he played, they played one game against someone who's in Carolina, and then they got him a couple of times with Dallas too. So it's just every time you think you've seen enough of Minko rant and you get another, you get him one more time. And he was tremendous in that first round series where Colorado, you know, wipe the Jets out and forced right after losing game one. So I think you could look at him as the as the underdog. But if you're going to this series without Josh Morrissey and Mark Shifley, then.
Speaker 4: I'll go with it.
Speaker 5: But the way they've played on home ice, they have played very well against Dallas this year. Guys, like anytime Dallas was pushing, Winnipeg.
Speaker 1: Would win a game.
Speaker 5: And I go back to the regular season, you know Dallas is within striking, this is right over top of the shoulder, and the Jets go into Dallas and shut them out for nothing in.
Speaker 4: The final regular season meetings. So there is confidence in this group.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I know Jason Robertson and Miro Hayskin could be returning, So Dallas is all about having to win with one of their top forwards and they're certainly their top defenseman. They've been doing that for a long time without Hayskin in. But I'll chat if if Mark Stiffley's back, I would not accept.
Speaker 4: The term of being underdogs.
Speaker 5: But if you're not with anybody like once to bet, the more you know the house on something, if you're missing your number one center and your number one defenseman, sure makes the task a lot more difficult. But we've just seen great example of the Jets' depth coming through and Scott O'Neill knowing what things to pull with with the forward group if something's not working.
Speaker 4: So yeah, if.
Speaker 5: Regardless at the our guys, to you and me, we all know what matters. It's the confidence within the group. And I just don't think, you know, both teams are coming extremely confident because they both pulled out miracle wins in Game seven. So it's going to be a heck of a series and I'm looking forward to it. But I will say there was numerous times Dallas came to the King or twice, you know, kind of hanging around and Winnipeg put them to bed, and certainly in that last game. But pluz, you know, as you guys know, playoffs completely different animal.
Speaker 1: This was short notice. Jamie. We can't thank you enough. Sports that hasn't been the same since you're not there anymore. Absolutely, thanks for this.
Speaker 5: All right, boys, I appreciated all the best and we'll talk to um.
Speaker 4: It's not the same anymore.
Speaker 1: Like to say thanks, Jamie, I appreciate you guys. You bet hey. I just want to apologize to anybody who's a Blue Bomber fan. I know there's been some great moments from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in Winnipeg sports history. Same with the Bobby Hull Afco Cup chats. But last night it's got right up there. It's gotta be uh right up to top three at the very least. I'm thinking number one. Okay again, a little behind here because of our early technical difficulties, but up Dex, we'll induce the pull question and have some big ride. Don't ean Delly the team I check.
Speaker 3: Our podcast is brought to you in part by birds Nest Properties, Lower Mainlands leader in rental property management. From finding a tenant to collecting rent and property maintenance. Birds Nest Properties delivers five star property management services with the reviews to prove it. Birds Nest Properties your Vancouver property managers who take care of everything so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks at birds Nest Properties a call today six oh four two six to zero, double nine, double five, or visit Birdsnest Properties dot Ca.
Speaker 1: Love the crack of a baseball bat or the smell of hot dogs, the Vancouver Canadians have you covered.
Speaker 3: Come enjoy a Vancouver summer tradition with three foot hot dogs, sushi races, fireworks and Blue Jay prospects, all at the iconic Rogers Field and not Bailey Stadium.
Speaker 1: Visit Canadians Baseball dot com to get your tickets into tails on all the summer fun the Seas have to offer. That's Canadians Baseball dot com.
Speaker 3: Come for the fun and stay for the baseball.
Speaker 1: Bottle dog poll question. Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, The Wattling Dog, where you can enjoy twenty caps, twenty screens. You're home for the connection UFC. Come sit and stay.
Speaker 6: At the Dog today, Rick Ryan, get her up the Wattling Dog pup pole question.
Speaker 1: And it is which.
Speaker 3: Remaining Canadian team has got the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. The Leafs, the owners the.
Speaker 6: Jets, hopefully none of them leading the way is hopefully none of them?
Speaker 3: Eight hundred plus votes. Ready, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: Is not one?
Speaker 3: The Stanley Cups is nineteen oh, that's yeah, you're dreaming nineteen ninety three and the Canadians beat the Kings. They kind of lucked out because of McSorley, the stick at the Forum, the whole nine yards. Why are we not picking one of the three teams?
Speaker 1: What is going on here? I wanted Winnipeg. Winnipeg is leading amongst the three teams at twenty nine a percent, followed by Edmonton and then the Leafs. And I can't believe what you're asking there. Why twenty eleven? I always remember the sticks and I was working at sports that at the time. I think Jamie Thomas was too. I'll never forget them doing a store like Streeters in Toronto at a bar and asking people who they were pulling for Toronto or Boston twenty eleven. Eighty eighty five percent of the people said the Boston Bruins. This myth and what is it Boston Pizza running this ad these days? About? You know? That's how a parade for the the winner the possible Canadian winner of the Stanley Cup, first time since nineteen ninety three. It's a myth that other Canadian this is my opinion anyway, that other Canadian cities, other Canadian fan bases want other Canadian teams to win. Is that a chance? I'm not surprised this.
Speaker 3: I want the Cup back in Canada, the best hockey nation in the world.
Speaker 1: So you you you would you'd be happy to see the Oiders win a sixth Cup. I've I've seen them win five times. I'm okay, I'm not seeing that. I want the cup back in It's been so long, So you want to see the Leafs win.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that. I said, well, what are you talking about? The cup back where it belongs and the best hockey nation.
Speaker 1: In the world. You're okay with the leaf win.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with the cup back in Canada.
Speaker 1: You're okay with the Leafs win.
Speaker 3: I never said that. Those words are the same thing it did. Now words did not come out of my mouth. The words that came out of my mouth back in Canada. Cup back in Canada where it belongs, the best nation for hockey, and.
Speaker 1: Do you want to see the Winnipeg Jets.
Speaker 6: When this time do you want another thirty years of no Stanley won by a Canadian team?
Speaker 1: Done?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 1: And unless that team is the Canucks, I don't really care. But do you want to see the Winnipeg Jets. They're the Atlanta Thrashers, They've been around for two days. Do you want to see them win the Stanley Cups? So the winners won all their cups? Did it bother you in thees? Absolutely? It did. Be Well, you forget the timing here. Okay, let's go back in time, all right, keep in mind what was going on. Then they have Beenton and they were called the Eskimos a time, winning Gray Cup. After Gray Cup, they called themselves the City of Champions, although they claim that's not why they and they were winning everything and they were they were arrogant. Rescue was the nicest guy on the team. That was an arrogant team and it went right all fastest of the organization. I I had a problem with it. I definitely had a problem with it. That was great, and I respect them, no doubt about it. But as a fan, as somebody who grew up in Van Cruz, I want to see them when I do want to see them win a.
Speaker 3: Sixth I want the cup back up north. What's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: Coach says, so you're pulling for the leafs.
Speaker 3: So I never said that. Those words didn't come into my mouth. The cup back up north. Toronto was alongs. I never said Toronto. You don't put words in my mouth. You keep putting saying Toronto.
Speaker 1: So you'd rather see Toronto on it than any other American team.
Speaker 3: Again, you keep saying you're putting. Do I say I want the cup in Toronto? I said I want the cup up north where it belongs. Remember remember when Rick was wearing his Blue Jays jersey long ago? Stop stop?
Speaker 1: I do this is disappointed? I do?
Speaker 3: Hey, I do like the Blue Jays because I'm going back to the eighties. You know that Jimmy Key and the boys.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. I've never been a Blue Jay.
Speaker 3: So ninety three ninety four, you never got excited when the Blue Jays won the World Series ninety ninety two, ninety three. I was in the neighborhood, but you weren't excited. Come on, huge fan, I are you?
Speaker 1: No, Rick, I'm a loyal guy, and you forget that. Back then, the expos were still around. I was much more of an Expos fan than a Blue ja Yeah, guys like you just jumped on the band Homer. I could care, Joe Carter, Homer did nothing for you. No, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Oh good. I was at a party. I don't remember too much about it when Joe hit the homer.
Speaker 1: Praise of you, haull.
Speaker 3: No, it was up north. I was up north the boys altogether. And when Joe Carter hit that homer, there was twenty people in the living room going nuts.
Speaker 6: Don Nobody said there and go, So that means I have to go nuts to stop it.
Speaker 1: So you're you're you're the Blue Jays nothing for you, No good. Nice guy by the way, because we went to sports Page, we did training camp reports down and didn't actually a really nice guy. But I wasn't a Blue Jays fan at all. So you love the Blue Jays and that beliefs.
Speaker 6: Who didn't like the Blue Jays when they won the World Series Back to.
Speaker 1: People, come on, a lot of people. I'm more of a.
Speaker 3: Mariners stopped john stop.
Speaker 1: I wish the Expos are still around. I love the Expos too, Oh my god, Okay, all right, pick one.
Speaker 3: Carter Andre Dawson or the boys. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: May thirteenth, do some business now, I'm just very a lot of people out there. We're getting a lot of texts Delaney's okay, tiring, Langley and alder Grove inbox, a lot of people disappointed and your love for Toronto. Look at this guy, right all right? I know you're no. I can't read that good business. May thirteenth, I had a big Rye here. Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed precision machine shop and a closed custom cabinet shop. At the machine shop for YCN precision vertical machining centers, two CNC turning lathes and more. At the cabinet shop twenty twenty two models, CNC edgebanders, nesting machine, side drilling machine, and more, all endorsed by Joe Carter. For information on these two business closure auctions in one day, go to Able Auctions, Dot sa Ay, b l E Auctions, Dot c Hey. Jamie mccleanen noodles at the top of the hour. Up next though Big Rye Twitter got hit it.
Speaker 3: Big Ran the Twitter guy.
Speaker 6: Brought to you by Birds and As Properties, your Vancouver property managers. They take care of everything, so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks at birds and As Properties a call today six or four two six zero ninety nine fifty five, or visit birds and As Properties dot c. It the one thing with the whole Canadian Cup conversation. And again I don't really subscribe to people caring about it, like dollywall claims or like Boston people claims. But I think there's a lot of people out there that don't want McDavid to not have a Cup. I will agree with you, even if you're a Canucks fan and you know you don't really want the Oilers to win and all that, I get it, But with I mean, like, look what this guy's putting in his trophy case already so far, and he hasn't participated in the Olympic canon that's gonna happen next year. He's been to one Cup final, as we saw last year. I think people want to see that guy get one. The majority of people, at least, I think one don't want that stat of great play great players that you know never won one. I don't necessarily know you want to see Connor McDavid on that list. So there's that like maybe he could win it somewhere else. Are you saying you wants out? You're reporting that here right now? Should I put that tweet out?
Speaker 1: Yes? I am.
Speaker 6: Don Taylor is hearing that. Connor McDavid is asking out of Okay, last night, Derek, you have this video clip you do right? Okay, So last night again, Game seven in Winnipeg, Jets go on to beat the Blues in overtime.
Speaker 3: Check out this clip. You can run it, Derek.
Speaker 6: I'll just talk over it of a men's league game in Winnipeg. So up the at the top of your screen is from the men's league game. You'll notice there's players on the bench and the ref who's supposed to be reffing the game, both watching the game on their phones as the Jets go on. This is a reaction to the tying goal, not the overtime goal. This is the reaction of the tie goal. But you'll see they both have their phones out watching the Jets tie the game against the Blues, then of course going on win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how can he ref if he's watching them? There is that from.
Speaker 6: A stafe, From a safety standpoint, it's not.
Speaker 3: A great look. Are you sure there wasn't a TV. They're looking at me. No, look Rick, look at his hand.
Speaker 1: You see his phone. You can see in his hand.
Speaker 3: His phone is in his hand watching the It's.
Speaker 1: Just like you and you're watching the Leafs game ring Joe Carter.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what happened with Joe Carter. You guys might rip me here. Okay, that's fine, But I'm gonna say this anyway. I know you're dedicated in all. I think I'm skipping my game. I don't think I'm going to my game. Oh you're not gonna go to the Yeah, great, teammate, I mean there's not my game seven.
Speaker 1: You can record games.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you know I don't record games.
Speaker 1: I'm either If everybody and your team felt the same way, we forfeit.
Speaker 6: So what I'm just saying, like what like first game seven and nine hundred years involving the Winnipeg Jets at home right since the WHA days. It's a massive moment, all the hype around it. Honestly, and we talked about this before the show. There's a lot of twenty eleven parallels with this Jets.
Speaker 1: Team Lauongo Hellibuck for one, If they lose last night the Jets do.
Speaker 6: What kind of conversations are we having this offseason with the Winnipeg Jets.
Speaker 1: Cheryl Dayoff, who's one of the longest ten year gms, probably gone, Probably gone, like Scott our Nails. In his first year as head coach, they won the President's Trophy. I'm thinking, he stays.
Speaker 6: I think so, But are you talking about a radical Now Ethers is a free agent, but are you talking about a radical move?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 6: Are you talking are they going to entertain trades for Connor Hallibuck? I know he recently signed. Like, I just wonder what kind of hot takes would be coming out of a Winnipig Jets loss. And much like twenty eleven year against the Blackhawks and all that and b extra reference.
Speaker 1: The game Carolina where there was gonna be there's a regular season game when Burrow scored it over.
Speaker 3: That is well, massive drought they were going through, and there was a lot of talk then.
Speaker 1: About the goal. Then there's gonna be a big changes and needless to say. And the thing is people forget about twenty eleven is that they were up three to zero.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, yes, and when they up in Game seven too, and they let it slide to get to overtime, and then of course Burrow's scoring arguably the biggest school in franchise.
Speaker 1: You know, they were up and then Taves scored a late shorthanded goal. That's right, that's right at Rogers on the road through Chicago. That's right. There was all sorts of tention there, and you know it's I think Jamie mentioned this series like that, when you're supposed to win, it's not elation you feel, it's relief. Oh big time. It's a over even amongst the fan base. Totally, it's more about, you know, being relieved, Oh my gosh, we won, Thank God for that, etcetera, etcetera, versus let's party it up totally, although that might have happened.
Speaker 3: If they would have lost last night, getting a backup goaltender they trusted would have been on the to do list. Hellabuck has played sixty sixty four to sixty three games the last three years. Yep, he's getting into the playoffs. He's burnt out. He's burnt out.
Speaker 1: But because Eric Carley maybe the best interview in the nationalime, I get rid of that guy. Very good. Oh God.
Speaker 6: To Rick's point, though, and a lot of people made a big deal of this the last game of the year. It was like Jets and Ducks and Halibuck started the game for.
Speaker 1: What like they had the president strophe, they had all these things. Well, who do you think made their call? It's probably Helli Buck.
Speaker 6: Okay, at some point somebody's got a big foot the guy and go look at when we see you get to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: You're having a big problem here.
Speaker 1: Man. The one the one thing about twenty eleven, the comparisons, and I agree that they're there. Game seven, he comes through. They in a bottom wine is that Luago Struggles didn't stop there. The Stanley Cup Final, they get pulled multiple times. Remember that. So, yeah, they managed to get and I'm not one of the greatest goal ten second greatest goaltender of all time can't And they didn't. They didn't stop there. And it was such a strange Stanley Cup Final because the Canucks end up Loongo got two shutouts exactly people more remember pay attention. I remember more about him getting pulled yep.
Speaker 3: And as I brought up struggling in Boston, as I brought up before Kirk McClain more run support in ninety four than l Wongo got here in twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: In the Stanley Cup Final. Yeah. Yeah, they were number one offensively in the NHL in the regular season.
Speaker 3: Look at Dempco. Last three coaches have run him into the ground or the ice. And you know there's a lesson there too. You know he's been overplayed. Dempco can't play sixty plus games ever again, he might have.
Speaker 1: To be in the forty in the league though, they.
Speaker 3: Said, Doney, they they ran him into the ground, Dempco, and they paid the price for it. On some people were talking about the same thing with Fasileski in Tampa.
Speaker 1: Right, there's another guy. Did he over his last three playoffs?
Speaker 3: He's not been good?
Speaker 6: But at the same time, the flip side in Florida is look at Bob Right, they run him a lot. I would be I don't know exactly, like I don't even know who the backup goalty.
Speaker 3: Five games is okay, but once you get over sixty you're burning the guy out. Yeah, and this is again multiple playoff youres.
Speaker 6: But anyway, back to the point, I think I would skip that Men's League game, and my buddies might be mad at me, but I think I would skip it Game seven. You passed that up for a game at MEN'SI I mean coming anyway, Moving on here, This is from Dominic Moore, former NHLer.
Speaker 1: How about this.
Speaker 6: This is a good statistic for you to put your put it in your pipe and smoke it. Two goal comebacks in the third period to win a game seven in NHL history, first one hundred and sixty years of the league. Three last two days this weekend. Two three times two goal comebacks into the third period of a game seven in NHL history and one hundred and six years.
Speaker 3: Three times that happened. And it happened both days this weekend in game seven situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, craziness, yells. Forgot about Saturday's game and how good it was because Sunday's game was so good. Yeah it might have a double overtime, Yeah it might have been better. And also hard to believe.
Speaker 6: The Sundays that the Sunday storyline always ends up being the bigger one in our business because it's fresh, right, it's you come back on Monday and you talk about it.
Speaker 1: So usually Saturday kind of slides.
Speaker 3: By because it happens on the weekend, right, That's usually what happens. I don't want to ever hear Knuck injuries as an excuse. Dallas won that without their best defense and one of their top forwards. What about Winnipeg you know, okay? Well shifully no, yeah, and or see out after two minutes, at fifty five minutes or sorry the rest of the way they played with, But don't talk to me about Canuck's injury excuses when Dallas just did that without a twenty eight minute a night defenseman, yeah, and a great forward.
Speaker 1: There was one player with knees chend that I as though that I think.
Speaker 3: Oh, shots, shots flying.
Speaker 6: Well and and and we talked about this before the show as well. Uh, Miko ranton In right it being paid similar to LEAs Petterson, and I see the same.
Speaker 3: Player when I look at both of them. Play.
Speaker 1: His production contract with Dallas kicks in next next year. Twelve million a year, yeah, four hundred grand more. And I mean you put those two guys side by side, he shot. Let me let the records show that you're saying this.
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean, so you're comparing ranton In with Petterson money wise right there?
Speaker 1: Four hundred grand apart. You're the one who wanted to pay Petterson.
Speaker 3: Thirteen Yeah, I never said thirteen million. Stop it anyways, interesting right, interesting.
Speaker 6: I will say, like like kidding aside that Ranton in contract, especially with the cap gonna do what it's gonna do.
Speaker 1: I think it might be considered low.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be a bargain one hundred percent for a guy that all he does is score goals, and he's got it.
Speaker 1: You don't you talked about that second Ranton in goal. He flew, Yeah, he was flying. The players look rattle as he's coming down. We're afraid. And keep in mind the start hasn't been great for him in Della, but it's what a crazy season for him. He didn't expect to get traded. He gets traded to the team he didn't want to get traded to get get again Denny. You know, his first round matchup is against the team that he loves. All his friends are there. He saw the hugs in the in the handshaped line afterwards, and he's got himself going and it's just, uh, it's been just very very impressive. He took that over. He took it over. He decided, yeah, you know, end this game in the last three games really and we see that.
Speaker 6: A lot from Peterson too. When he wants to boom, he takes over the game, just ends it, killer instinct.
Speaker 1: See now, just an update here and we're hoping to run clips from this hockey podcast in the Inny with Jier Mutherford on Friday least, Petterson has left Vancouver, spent a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Here's gone, he's gone.
Speaker 1: He bolted. You don't know, no, I know he's gone. He stayed a week.
Speaker 3: But what could you do in a week?
Speaker 1: Like he worked out? It was two weeks he worked out?
Speaker 6: Did it rather say something about the the strengthened conditioning guys called him and said they were super impressed with what he was doing.
Speaker 3: At first, she forced him to stay. That's one, you should never have to force someone to stay. Two, what can you do in two weeks? Did he go from one hundred and eighty pounds? He went he white Caps game, He went for several.
Speaker 1: Walks around the sea wall.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean he I guess he tried. He put in some effort, I guess, But.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you want to like I don't know how it works NHLPA, the rules, that sort of thing, But do you want to be like supervising things. You're paying this guy all this money. But do you hear yourself?
Speaker 6: Why do we have to be supervising this guy supposed to be a franchise player eleven point six?
Speaker 1: We should be super anything.
Speaker 6: Rather let it slip that talking was talking about over Sweden to Sweden.
Speaker 1: To check you're right. But this is a different part. Maybe you have to do that. You're paying them all this money. I guess what are you gonna do? Go ahay, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: No did did the Canucks ever have to go to Sweden to check out the Sadine twins and their training?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: No, it is upon you to train property as a highly paid player.
Speaker 1: This is the other thing I don't understand with the whole situation is that conditioning was an issue and so was skating for Daniel and Henrick early in their NHL careers, same time, and they turned things around remarkably. People forget early Peterson way better than early Daniel and Derek Daniel, Derek, Daniel and Henrick right way better.
Speaker 6: Derek too, well, I don't know about that, but he he And then yeah, they got better, way better.
Speaker 1: They got better conditioning wise, skating wise.
Speaker 6: Even at the end done, he dipped Tony. How often have we heard talking and Rutherford and having referenced how they feel like he maybe not even referencing him, but talking about the topic of championship player. You got to grind, you gotta cost to get better, right. We see it all the time with Crosby, But Crosby always getting he's.
Speaker 1: Gone to the World champions yeahs. And McKinnon maybe as well.
Speaker 6: I think that's his problem now though he's got the bag, he got the hundred points season, he got the early accolades, and he's got to keep the pushy stuff.
Speaker 1: By the way, you got a better cash. What do you want? You're trying to be cool? Well, what is it here?
Speaker 3: Briefcase? He got the brief ways full of money.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it in the break. Now. The other interesting part is that you've got these two players who turned their careers around, became the you know, arguably the greatest connection they're in the organization.
Speaker 3: Still yeah, yeah, well, you know, how do they get go up to the twins and say, hey, how can I turn this around? Those two are the smartest guys in the organization. Hockey sense wise, go go talk to.
Speaker 6: Him yeah, yeah, well maybe there's more to that story. Mentors, By the way, you just mentioned the World Championships very quickly because we had to get the noodles. But uh, Locker clean out Dave for the Minnesota while Marc Andre Fleury is going to the World Championships with Team Canada, so he'll be there alongside Sid.
Speaker 3: So Myers and Debrus said no. They said no. They said no because they were asked, and remember Dubas said they're high on the list, but they just felt that they didn't want.
Speaker 1: To go all seriousness was Peterson asked.
Speaker 3: Uh, he talked to the Swedish Coast Sam Alamb last week. They had a good long talk and Patterson said he's got a couple of injured things he's dealing with and it's better for him to be prepared one hundred percent for the season to so credit to Peterson, he told Sweden, I'm gonna back off. Wait, but Alvin said at the presser that year end he's one hundred percent healthy. So what is it you got it? That was when was the year end pressor two weeks ago?
Speaker 6: Two and a half weeks he get hurt, he's got injured since then, the blaque he has. He missed freaking, but he declared him one. I talked to Sam alam this morning. Something smells, something smell doesn't smell.
Speaker 1: No it doesn't, yes it does. He was banged up.
Speaker 6: He told Sweden, I don't I want to get ready and healthy.
Speaker 3: For the Canucks next year. So he said no, bottom line, Okay, that's fine. They said he hadn't a bleak. Yeah, better, everybody's gonna know bleak. No, he had an injured or bleak.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, but Sam Lamb told me this morning, there's like a rash of obleak injuries.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Where's it's this part ribs torso, So why are these guys hurting the ribs?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: But there was an NBA area NBA. I'm thinking he might have hurt that. Yeah, you wonder. Don't compare NBA injuries to hockey players. Stop you can stop it.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying, you know, I can't believe isn't hurt. It was Brandon Tanneth like ten hits, like a four or five blocks, the four five blocks, it was double digit. The the score sheet said for I don't know who keeps some of these stats, they guessed. I know he didn't have a lot of ice time, but I don't every time.
Speaker 3: It is tanned.
Speaker 6: Brothers are tough, ramp tough. Friend of the show is Dad Mike good guy. Up next, up next, another good guy, Jamie mcclennan. It's Donnie and Dolly the team I Check.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 3: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot CA. Monday and all of our guests today, including Noodles. Jamie mcclennan is standing by, are sponsored by a Pissan Motors. It's Mayday's at Pissan. They want to make sure you love your ride. Check them out at Poissan Motors bas A NT motors dot com and find a ride you'll love. She's a sweet ride. I said that the first time everything from Seinfeld George when he was trying to be cool, No brought his dad's car.
Speaker 3: I think that's not when he John Boyd's car.
Speaker 1: No, oh no, it was.
Speaker 3: That's a whole other That was a crazy scene.
Speaker 1: He had the cuffs rolled up in his jeans. He was trying to be no he was a bad boy, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bad boy yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah, like a greaser kinder.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, he's Jamie left, He's gone, actually, nodles joins us from TS Jamie mccleannon, Thanks for doing this, sir, How are you listen?
Speaker 7: I could listen to Seinfeld references all day. It's still one of my favorite. I mean every I feel like every episode was a legendary episode. So when you were bringing up that one, I laugh. I mean fragile Frankie goes and digs himself a whole of George was the hand model. I mean, it's just so amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: And you see you say that, and you think of all these eight storylines and you don't realize that one of the great storylines was alongside one of the great storylines in the same episode. It's just just tremendous. This is a great TV show too. Whenever you're on it, Jamie, I got to ask you, what do you think Sunday's double overtime with did not just for the Jets. But what did it do? You're an old goaltender for Connor hallibuk, well.
Speaker 7: I felt like it was a bit of a redemption, you know, don't you think like I felt bad, like my actual heart hurt watching, you know in those games where he got pulled because he wasn't even in the game, you know, games three and four and six. Now, listen, Winnipeg wasn't great in front of him, but it doesn't matter. This guy. I'm one of the voters. I voted for him number one, heart like he was a good you know, so I having him rebound and he didn't have a great start as well. Keep that in mind, like I love the first goal against he got a little bit aggressive, and then the second goal against that Joseph Gole. You need to make that say so. I thought from about halfway through the game, the third period for sure, and then both overtime periods that looked like Connor hellibuck so got another opportunity. It's gonna be very tough against Dallas. I would personally have Dallas as the favorite in it, but Winnipeg is a resilient teap team. You'll hope that they get Shipely back. I don't know what injury that was to Morrissey. That looked like a shoulder or elbow or something, but hopefully he comes back somewhere along the line. But what the both nights Game Seven's like you couldn't take your eyes off the tv. It was so good for hockey.
Speaker 1: Why is it, Jimmy And I don't know if you feel this way, but I feel this way. There seems to be more playoff comebacks now than there was, say, fifteen twenty years ago. I don't know if it's the rule changes, whatever the case may be, but why do we see them more often than we used to? Because in the old days, somebody it's a one goal lead in the second period, the game is over. They just shut it down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean New Jersey was the statement for that. You get up one nothing, it's done. They would just trap you. I think it's two things. I think it's the talent, but I also think, Donnie, it's the rule changes because guys like to now talent is at an all time high as far as some of the top end talent in the league. But the way that they approach and I remember talking to an NHL goaltender this year and saying, no shot is routine. Actually, you know what, I didn't even say his name. It was Lenis Almark. I had to trap with him about a month ago. When we're talking, you know, a twenty eight shot against game is not you know, when I played, you felt like maybe you get ten chances, you get eighteen routine shots that are from the outside, you can feel the puck and control your rebound. It was just a different game. Nowadays, teams aren't wasting shots.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 7: It's rare. They come down the wall and they just have a straight, clear sighted shot at the goaltender because the goalies are too good. The shooters are too good now, so they'll circle back, they'll go to make a play.
Speaker 1: They want to open you up.
Speaker 7: I watched Nikolai Eeler's media last night and he was saying, like, you know what did I try and do on that game tying goal. Well, I tried to get it to Kyle Connor because I know that would get the goaltender moving, and then Connor gets it moving back as he slides it through the middle for Praffetti. You know, that's what guys think nowadays, so you know, getting back to it, I think you're looking at like no lead is safe because you can't just clutch and hold and play the trap and wedge everybody the outside and they'll just throw the pocket the net. Nowadays, the thought processes, guys get into that home played area, drive the middle of the ice. It's never been less dangerous to get the middle ice than it is in today's game. And you've got skilled guys who can pick corners. That's the reason why they can. I'm back in games.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jamie word this morning that Skinner could be Game one against Vegas. Picker just won four in a row. Are you surprised?
Speaker 7: I would be surprised, and I agree, like I think, when you've got a guy who's been the starter all year, he kind of just practices in one net. I would. I would be shocked if Pickard start didn't start because you look at it, Stuart Skinner didn't have a great season. So that's one. Yes, he's your number one goaltender and he played in eighty two games including playoffs last year, but if you look at it, he had inconsistency and Calvin Pickard during the regular season I believe he won twenty two games for the Oilers. That's not traditional backup, that's more like one a type of minutes. So, especially down the stretch with Skinner's injury and then the start that skinnerd had in the playoffs, they went to Pickard. And I'll be honest, if you watch those games and you watched intently dry settle scores in overtime, McDavid jumps and then he immediately be lines down to Pickard and you can see that they've either found something there with him or he has the trust of the guys right now. Now. That could change. It could easily change if he has an off game here or there. So I would say even if if Pickard is starting, it's probably a shorter leash than it would be. But you know he had won four in a row and and and you know it wasn't a Picasso. Let's be honest. He's a as our buddy Ray Ferraro would say, he's a little bit of an unmade bed in the net, but he's aggressive Analytically. I talked to my buddy at sport Logic Scene plays, so backdoor plays he made nine for nine saves because he moves well laterally, whereas Stuart Skinner got beat five times on eight lateral moving shots. So it might be something that stylistically he fits Ian right now a little bit better. So I'd be you know, coming back to it, I'd be shocked if Picker did it start and if it was maybe it's just more of a scenario where they give Skinner an opportunity to get his game back in order early in a series.
Speaker 3: Boy, it's a great time to be looking for a head coaching job in the NHL eight vacancies including Vancouver. Were you surprised, Rick Tackett said no, and whatked.
Speaker 7: I don't know without knowing the behind the scenes, like what type of money was being offered term all of that type of stuff. Yes, and I didn't like it. It was kind of damning. I don't know how you guys feel about it. It's just when the coach says no to your organization, bingo, that's like that, Like that leads me to believe this guy has been there for two years, He's seen behind the curtain. He obviously dealt with it. Coach of the Year a year ago, dealt with it for two years. And the fact that he says check please. I mean that kind of is a little bit concerning as to what is going on behind the scenes unless it was straight a strict like money call, like hey, they cheaped out or whatever we would call it. They didn't want to pay what he was worth our market price, but would I would have a tough time believing that. I think it's more, you know, he's looking to move on to a different situation, which you know, leads me to believe that Vancouver's got a lot to clean up behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: When you played for the Panthers, did you live at Del Bolca Vista.
Speaker 3: I wish I did.
Speaker 7: I swear to God. When I signed there, it was a three year deal. It was two plus an option. The first thing I did is I grew my hair all one length long, and I was like, I'm going to be in Florida. Second thing I did is I bought a nineteen seventy five Cadillac Eldorado two door. It had a rumble seat in the trunk. I had it painted and it was called the SS Noodles.
Speaker 1: It was a boat.
Speaker 7: It was twenty two feet long. We'd go to the bar and that thing. We'd have nine people in the bar, I'd be cruising down Fort Lauderdale Beach. So I didn't live at Boca Vista. I lived in Fort Lauderdale. But I pretty much was in retirement mode when I played there. Put it that way. Playing. I think ROBERTA. Lawonga started or played in seventy six games that year when I was there. So I was in retirement mode.
Speaker 1: And I remember Jack Klompus had a problem with that Cadillac of yours. Jamie, thanks for this.
Speaker 7: I should have run for the head of the board. There you go, ran for the head of the board.
Speaker 1: That's what What are we on the Seinfeld reference O meter like twenty now twenty one.
Speaker 7: It's the best. Honestly, hill is the best. So okay, guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks Noddles, appreciate it. Jamie mcclearnan, TSN. We didn't ask him about Anthony still Oars Pantagold taking on his old team Tonight. Round two starts tonight Florida at Toronto. You had something, how do.
Speaker 3: You not call it the SS ME No, oh my god, Gilgan sitting right there like the SS miner.
Speaker 1: Well, his name's Noodles. Noodles. I think SS Mino was taken ss Mino.
Speaker 3: If that's Gilligan's Island. He didn't understand the doodle thing. If you're gonna call it, what do you call it?
Speaker 1: The ss right noodle doodles?
Speaker 3: It should be the ss Mino Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 1: The nickname. Do you get it? I don't think, I don't know get it? I can't. It should be ss Mino. Just just go home today and cheer for your leafs. Okay, yeah, the best show, Gilligan's Island, best show on TV. We'll update the pull question to next waddling dog pole question. Donnie Dolly the team on.
Speaker 2: Check Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by able Auctions dot c A. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 1: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email Sales at able Auctions dot ca A. That's sale at a b l E auctions dot CA. Who's car? It's mine? Yours? That's right? My son bought it for me. What my son bought me?
Speaker 6: The car?
Speaker 3: It's at present?
Speaker 1: You bought it? That's right, I bought it. You ever see one's on? Nice? Some car? You want to take a ride now? Thank you? Come on, take a ride. I want to take a ride. Why not? I don't feel like taking a ride. Do I have to take a ride?
Speaker 3: He doesn't want to.
Speaker 1: What do you think I've never written in a Cadillac before?
Speaker 6: Believe I have written in a Cadillac hundreds of times, thousands, thousands.
Speaker 1: What do you think you're such a big shot now because you got a Cadillac? Ah, Jerry Seinfeld looks a bit like Jamie mcclend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does.
Speaker 1: The great Jack Columpus wattling dog Pole question. Hopefully people aren't just tuning in. If you watch the last segment, it will make a lot of sense. Pole question. Is it one of Victoria's favorite pubs? The Dog where you can enjoy twenty taps, twenty screens. You're home for the connection, UFC. Come sit and stay at the Dog today, Ryan.
Speaker 6: Get her up the waddling Dog Pop pole question, which remaining Canadian team has got the best chance to win the Stanley.
Speaker 3: Cup already over one thousand. Look at that ten forty Look at ten forty the votes. Anyways, Toronto happened to Winnipeg or hopefully none of them the irony anyways, hopefully none of them is not leading.
Speaker 6: It's hold on a second, No, it's not. If they're Tiger Winnipeg. If you round it out, they're at the thirty one, right, both of them at thirty.
Speaker 1: One, Winnipeg coming on strong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there they are, Toronto at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Oh, usb upset with that?
Speaker 3: I stop it gone. Just because I like the Blue Jays. It doesn't mean I love all the other Toronto teams.
Speaker 1: But for people just tuning in, I believe it's it's a myth that people everyone in Canada wants a Canadian team Stanley Cup rivals.
Speaker 3: The Cup should be where it belongs in Canada, in the Hockey Nation in Stanley Cup should be here.
Speaker 1: So you're okay with the leaf swimming.
Speaker 3: Mike Palmitteer was my favorite goalie growing up. Really yeah, I love to Mike Palmittteer. He was every Saturday night.
Speaker 6: It was thought it was Richard Berdure, Well right there, Well, Richard's won, but Mike Palmitteer's too.
Speaker 1: Okay, you sure, you're sure it's so it's Richard Burke, Valmete lefty, lefty. Oh yeah, okay, Cannucks. What's the latest on Tom Leelander? Uh? Boy, oh boy.
Speaker 3: He did not make the Swedish team for the World Hockey Championships. He was cut this morning by Sam lamb Uh. They really liked one thing. Sam said, Donnie, elite skater. What the Canucks are going to get if they ever get around of signing him, if that ever happens, a capital letters if you're getting an elite skater, defender, great athlete. But he was cut this Morning's from trying. I didn't hear anything on the weekend that they're any closer to a contract on. Did not hear that on the weekend. But maybe him getting cut sparks talks, and maybe him getting cut, maybe they come to the negotiating table the two sides.
Speaker 1: Who knows, why would it spark talks.
Speaker 3: Because he's got nowhere to go now, because he's got nowhere to go, maybe if they shouny, donny, hold it a second, if you sign him in the next twenty four hours. Get him down to Absbord. They're in round two. If they win round two, don he'll.
Speaker 1: Go to the West.
Speaker 3: Get him over here. He should never have been in Sweden at the World's and to begin with, get him over here and get him a climate tize with Maddy in Abbsbord. Maybe they do that in the next twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Game three they're tied at one. Coachella Valley and Abatsford their second round Calder Cup playoff series Game three Wednesday in Abbotsford. They'll also play on Friday, Todd at one is the best of five Sunday in Abbitsford if necessary. Okay, So, speaking of Tom Delander, we talked earlier about Jim Rutherford appearing on The Hockey Podcast with our friends John Shannon and Darren Millard. This is Jim Rutherford, and look, negotiations have been tough with Tom Thelander and his people, but here is Jim Rutherford. Pretty complimentary on what he thinks Tom Lander is capable of on the ice.
Speaker 4: Oh, he is a very good player.
Speaker 8: He's a very good two way, solid defenseman that can skate move the park. He's got really good character he's going to have a good long as long as he's injury free NHL career. And I was just going to jump in and answer the question. You're halfway through. I believe he can step in and play.
Speaker 1: This year and by this year he means this coming season.
Speaker 3: Yes, get to get to training camp, make the team out of there. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: On the right side of the knuckt defense wires Iroonic will Lander.
Speaker 3: But here's the problem they want forber back and Elis Petterson. The young defenseman is playing on the right side, and noadh Julson. You haven't decided what you're doing with nod Jilson. Dot it's a little loaded on the right side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pleasant problem though, right this speaks to what we were talking about earlier. If you're gonna make it better that problem, if you're gonna make a deal, maybe you let go one of your your defensemen. It's an area of strength. He also said in that podcast the Cannucks have offered Vlander eleventh overall twenty twenty three, the same deal as last year's eleventh overall pick. That's Sam Dickinson, left handed defenseman London Knights. He led London and scoring defenseman leading in may good defense in points three years, nine to seventy five per But it's not just about the money, is it his bonuses?
Speaker 3: Well, it's the A bonuses and Sam Dickinson you just said, right, Yeah, his bonuses are A seven thirty eight potential potential. And this is the other thing about the Will land Er fight. No one understands the eight bonuses are not guaranteed. You have to earn them. Don you have to earn them. It's not guaranteed that he's getting that money. But anyways, they continue to fight about a bonuses. Rick Talckett, what's happening there? As expected? Hearing very good interest in Rick Talket done? No surprise eight NHL openings will exclude Vancouver out of that. Interviews are going to pick up this week around the NHL with the first round of the playoffs over Keep an eye on Colorado done? Jared Bettner? Betner, what happens if they let him go? They haven't had a lot of success coming.
Speaker 1: That's in the West though, Yeah, that's in the West. You don't want Godford said that he wanted to go to the East.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but I've been told that's not one hundred percent accurate. If there are if Seattle calls, Anaheim calls, you got to listen, you gotta listen, Don. But there you go. There's good interest, good interest in talk it out there for sure.
Speaker 1: What about the Canuck coaching vacancy.
Speaker 3: I think the Canucks could be looking for a guy with a mixture of American Hockey League and NHL experience. What do you get with the American Hockey League guy Don works with the young kids, and what do you get with a veteran in the NHL. He knows how to run a veteran club. So we'll keep it on that Manny Moultras.
Speaker 1: Todd Nelson Rick, Sorry, Todd's in the mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Todd's in the mix. Maddy Mahultra is in the mix. Adam Fudd will get his interview with the Canucks. I wonder if Luke Richardson gets an interview with the Canucks. Former Blackhawks coach Don did a good job with that young roster in Chicago. Mitch Love. Keep an eye on that name. Mitch Love. People An Everett know him. He's on the radar for a lot of teams. But he's the Washington Capital's assistant coach right now.
Speaker 1: That's it's just so interesting. And then there's the veterans out there, Quinnville, Jay Woodcroft is out there, and like you said, who knows what's gonna happen in the in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: There could be more, There could be more firings, and we were just sitting back and waiting.
Speaker 1: You've got some speak speaking of that.
Speaker 6: By the way, Rob Blake out in La today, GM Mutilly parting was yeah, GM. But you wonder, right, I mean, like, does the next GM want his own guy or is he sho going there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You mean just a gentire Hiller?
Speaker 3: Do they fire Hiller? Because the GM's out right?
Speaker 1: And have we forgotten that Jim Rutherffords said he wants to be in the East. They're gonna look Van's up in the West, They're gonna look bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you guys talked about this last week. That comment made no sense to me. It caught some people off guard because kids in.
Speaker 1: Seattle, his homes in Vegas. Harley's kid has moved.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Okay, you're right about the Vegas either Vegas or somewhere Bellingham. What just a joke Seattle to Bellingham? Yeah, Everett, No, Ryan, stop confusing, Hi, stop stop stop stop. But if Seattle calls and Anaheim calls Talcket, I would mind it hard to believe that he would not listen. Ye, I know what Rutherford said, but I think it caught some people.
Speaker 1: Can you if he takes a West deal, live well, because if he your Mutherford said, but one of the reasons he wants to leave or the man he wants to be in the East, if he ends up being in the West, well what what were the reason.
Speaker 3: End up in the West. But if he does, you gotta listen. If you're talking to every single team that calls, you gotta we.
Speaker 1: Know how negotiations. I get that. Let's be honest.
Speaker 6: If Colorado for some reason fired better bingo right, if he if he took the job there, Rutherford could easily say, well, that was out of anyone's expectation, right, and that's why he took that job. But yeah, you're right if he if no, what you knew the Anahem and Seattle jobs are open, and then if he took one of those after you said that, that looks I mean, especially Seattle.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine, my god, you've got some business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Check out the largest when you caught me off guard? Check out the largest selection of sports member billy autograft items, trading cards and collectible games in Western candidates past Time Sport for Wow Sunday, May teenth, Pastime in Langley, Oh Boy, Mike Madano and THEO Flurry. It's an in store signing couple legends. Details on this event, upcoming signings and card drops available at past Time Sports dot Ca and on their social channels.
Speaker 1: Laptop situation Ryan, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yes, in front of the laptop as we always highlight every day on this program, courtesy Pastime Sports. Card over the Day. On the left is Dave or is Adam Lowry h. He's got the A there because it's an old card. He's now the captain of the Widow By Jets. Of course he got the winner. And on the right signed card by Tim Museleni of course, member of Jets.
Speaker 3: One point zero not two point.
Speaker 1: Zero the original Jets correct now that now the Utah Hockey Club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Utah Mammoth, seventy six schools and year one and I'll never forget there was the seventy six. Yeah, well you see, ever forget it, so you probably should have Scott Ryan. It was five hundred years ago, but he had seventy six his rookie camp at Winnipeg. Remember he scored that goal and he shot the puck.
Speaker 1: He took his glove off, he shut his glove. Oh, he shot his glove. That's he shot the puck in the net. Yeah, and then he shot his glove. Seventy seventy six. Adam Lowry, uh got a goal. They hit his pants, Like I'm sitting here watching, why are they giving the goal to Lowry? And then you look at another angle and it kind of kind of reflected off his pants, So.
Speaker 3: You think it should have been credited to Adam Lowery.
Speaker 1: No, it's just that it took me a while to figure it out, and I think there were the people in the broadcast felt the same way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it went off in his state. It went off fifty five too. He didn't just go off him.
Speaker 6: It was fifty Perco Pareco, Perrico, and I think it went off him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did, Yeah, he did, it did right. A lot of people on Pean took the shot and what a game he had. Oh, and you know he was kind of like just kind of a It just seemed like when uh helped me out here the captain for the for the Rangers, Uh Trouba Truba when he went to when he went to the Rangers, Peank was just kind of a throwing Yeah, yeah, I s remember that, and he's been real.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine how exhausted you would be. I can't even imagine. I played forty four. He was right behind him. I can't comprehend it.
Speaker 1: Well, look at Luke Chen's told me. You said, you said, you said that Peonk played what forty six minutes and that was the first forty minute.
Speaker 3: Game in games in a game seventy nine. Chris Pronger and Al mckinness did it in a Game seven.
Speaker 1: But Bixas said that he played fifty over fifty minutes in that Dallas game. It was his first overtime game. That infamous Dallas was Game seven. Yeah, that is a game seven seven.
Speaker 3: That's the key Game seven. This is only Game seven.
Speaker 1: I couldn't get a triuba. Now that I'm telling you, you know what's wrong with me? Right now, there's a millionaire hay fever. I am just so tired, and yet I'm hanging in there doing this Show's cold.
Speaker 3: On the weekend.
Speaker 1: He oh god, stop this, what are you're talking about? Are you kidding me? Don Friday? It was a sauna. I had the ac going. I turned the heat off.
Speaker 3: Time to turn the heat back on. It was cold with that really stressy out.
Speaker 1: Yes it did. We got anything going here? Yeah, DTMZ. Next, Donnie, tell her the team on check.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's eleven thirty six on a Monday morning, Donnie, DONI on check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Wister Golf Club. Go see big al out there. Great track, great track.
Speaker 1: ATMZ, brought to you by the Arnold Palmer designed Whistle Golf Club. Excited to get going for the twenty twenty five season this Friday, Rick Oh May the ninth tea times can be booked online now at wisterogolf dot com. And if you've got a group of twelve or more, tell us about your group at wistergolf dot com. Forward slash groups Ran. It's a little bit of a left turn here, is we often done, as we've done this a lot lately, take left turns with DTMZ, and we're gonna do that right here. We're doing the it's a draft lottery tonight, the four draft lottery. So we're going with the tankthon Draft lottery simulator. It's the it's the game that's sweep sweeping the nation. The game showed that's swipping the nation.
Speaker 6: By the way, So this is Herb Robert. Yep, right, this is this morning, Herb Roberts coming to town October second. Herb Robert and the Tewana Brass are coming to the Burton Cummings Theater on October the second.
Speaker 3: Announced this morning.
Speaker 1: Remember what we said, we didn't have a lot of time for this second.
Speaker 6: But this this line's up. Okay, so you can go hear this live on her Albert.
Speaker 1: Who's the A in A and M records? Wow? Really put that in your pipe and smoke it. Put that in your trumpet? I smoke it.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. I did not know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, draft lottery simulator. Who wants to go for you guys? Go ahead?
Speaker 6: No, no, nope, nope no. Forward to the Chicago first. Okay, I go first.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: I want to thank all the season ticket holders of the Canucks. They head down Moby Dick's famous fish and chips. That's a good seventy five half spot, green drive right in front of the pier, White Rock Beach, Moby Dick, good spot. All the season ticket holders there having a good time, and look at this. I just hit it, and here we go. The third pick in the draft, Nashville who number pick number two, Chicago San Jose with the first overall pick in the Vancouver Canucks, selecting fifteenth overall.
Speaker 1: Well, decision decipher for that later for every everybody. The bottom line first pick is so they got to throw the Canucks. They're fifteenth, of course, well yeah they they can only move up ten spots. Yeah, okay, so especially hello to all our season ticket holders, large number, large members of our fan base, large members of base, and especially hello. They're assembled up the Admiral Pub in North Burnaby. And little Johnny Johnny jmanis is there. Oh there's some joy times. Johnny jmanis big conduct so special. Hello to him. Okay, here we go. Uh, the number three pick goes to down two spots, San Jose, number two, up three spots the Bruins, the Boston Now, if you don't speak French, those the Boston Bruins up two spots at number one. The Nashville Predators, picking first over Oh boy Ryan again, Johnny hamanas all Low, Hello special shout out the little Johnny there.
Speaker 6: Hello to all of our season ticket holders, corporate sponsors, alumni. Gathered at the rail of Remember East ru in beautiful Fort Langley, British Columbia. I was there on Friday night. Uh, drafting in third position, up ten spots, up the max amount of spots. Wow, the Blue Jackets, the Columbus and as Donnie says, if you don't speak French, that is the Columbus Blue Jackets down one spot, second position, San Jose up four, drafting first overall in this year's draft.
Speaker 1: The Boston Bruins. Really yeah? Can I fans excited about that? Thrilled up there? They're gonna take Jill Thurton, Yeah, which they did all those years ago. Thank you. Okay, we got time for Ruth days. Yeah, let's do it. Uh May seven birthdays line set at six by Honker and Company, Nasal Spray Warehouse and Casino and Waynwright, Albertie. Take a look at old Honker there. Here's our first round, first of overall pick up. I've ever seen one. Away we go retired NHL goalie from Sweden, nickname Moose u j a Radio Edbard the Rangers, No Heedburg Edberg, you're thinking of Andrews. Andrews finished defenseman drafted fifth overall by the Canucks in twenty sixteen, a spot ahead of Matthew Kachuck created to London Knight's right winger, drafted fourth overall by the Lease in twenty fifteen. Mitch Marker YEP Blues Canadian center, second round Blues draft pick in twenty sixteen. Let the Blues was seventy three points in twenty two to twenty three. Won the fastest skater competition at the twenty twenty two NHL All Star Game in Vegas. He wears the number twenty five. Think about it, think of Yes, that's right. Tyru retired Swedish right winger, one third of the Flyers Legion of doom Lines.
Speaker 3: No appellably, give me the initials quick. It was lind Ross.
Speaker 1: Leclaire and m R. Michael Rembert. Yeah, King's goalie from Saska too and played junior hockey for the Red Deer Rebels, helped Colorado win the Cup and twenty English Singer songwriter winner of sixteen Grammys. Her hits include Rolling in the Deep and Chasing Dolphins Very good. Have we heard much from her lately? No?
Speaker 6: Well she just wrapped up like she did a bunch of performances last summer and finished her residency in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Oh there said that was it. She's gonna go away for quite some time.
Speaker 1: So you've heard of her really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, My cousins are in Germany AND's just insane.
Speaker 6: I saw her here like five years ago, now seven years ago something, But yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Pretty like your type of music.
Speaker 3: Who's pretty impressive pop?
Speaker 1: Okay? Uh? Is it just me? Coming up? Steve Stevens sixty six league guitarist for Billy Idol, who should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and those two are gonna play us so January eighth. This guy's so talented and the album of the same name. This is Billy Idol with Steve Stevens on lead guitar and Rebel Yell on check where We're so eighties. Our padded shoulders are padded on a BC Monday morning? Is it just me? It's next? That's not that's not love golf but hate the rain.
Speaker 3: Hideout Golf is now open located in the Sands Hotel on Davy Street. Hideout Golf is your new go to golf simulator bar, perfect for everything from casual rounds to competitive play.
Speaker 1: Hideout Golf has an exclusive offer for Donnie and Donny listeners. Get twenty five percent off simulator time for your first booking. Just use the promo code Dad Dad twenty five. That's Dad Dad twenty five.
Speaker 3: Ready to te up your next night out? Book now at a Hideout Golf.
Speaker 1: Just ahead of is it just me? Is it just me? Or have we failed to mention a couple of stories from the weekend. I can't remember what did we talk about? The white Caps. They beat Rial Sa Lake two to one. White Caps on top of the NLS table eight one and two to start. They host LAFC Sunday four o'clock at BC Place of course, getting ready for the big game against Cruz as Ul June first to Mexico City Vancouver Warriors. Their season is over historic season in terms of success, although they were swept by Buffalo in two games eleven to nine for the Bandits on Sunday Rogers Arena after a nine to three win in Buffalo on Friday. But congrats to Kurt Malaski and company. They have themselves a heck of a season. What do you got? Is it just me? All right?
Speaker 3: We're getting a lot of these folks. I want the Dallas Stars to win because seeing Tom Glardi whin it's down the Cup before Francesco would be amazing given their history. Amirate and look, Tom Glardy lost his bid for the Vancouver Canucks. It went TACKLINI through the court system.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it a co bid though? Didn't they originally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had to fight for But Donnie, the point is he's gone to Dallas and done a wonderful job and built a great program there. Meanwhile, well you know the rest of the Meanwhile, it goes without saying eight years, ten years in one playoff appearance unsigned?
Speaker 1: Is it just me? Ryan? I disagree. I could care less of Connor McDavid, who's a baby by the way he yelled in the dressing room from that documentary person. I could care less if McDavid never wins a Stanley Cup. I liked the mealing in the dressing room, dig in remember that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I like that. That's what a leader does. That's what a leader does. Who cares? But everybody's welcome to their opinion. I would like to see him win Stanley Cup when one Stanley Cup at least, even if you.
Speaker 3: Know what, any Canadian team to win. But you're okay with Connor.
Speaker 1: Maybe he'll win with the Rangers. Maybe it wouldn't like that either.
Speaker 3: I knew you guys lip sync? Who's Million? Who's Vanilly? Howard by the Dog? We had issues at the start of the show. People couldn't hear us. Remember Millie Vanilly and Donny claim it on the rain? Yeah, they had some good hits.
Speaker 1: Well it wasn't they though, or someone else.
Speaker 3: But no, but they were lip syncing at their car.
Speaker 1: But that's what I'm saying. It wasn't them. They were saying, m yeah, exactly. Are you with us here?
Speaker 3: Yes, I know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Tom and Victoria? Is it just me? But totally with Donnie on this. I've never gone with the you have to cheer for a Canadian team except for the Canucks. Hey, most teams are full of Canadian players, although those days are changing. But Tom and Victoria a lot of people feel the same way.
Speaker 3: What do you Donde says, there's only two Canadians on the Canucks roster couldn't agree with you more, Dolly. When Joe Carter hit that home run, it's one of the most memorable sports moments in my childhood. Ozzie Goose, absolutely when Joe Carter hit that home run, it was a fabulous moment. Whether you like Toronto or not, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: It was a fabulous moment if you like Toronto. If you don't, didn't like Toronto, it wasn't a fabulous moment. The Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: Please explain to me when Joe Carter hit the homer it did nothing for you.
Speaker 1: I'm not a Blue Jays fan, why would it do something for me? But as a sports fan, sure, he was a great thank you, thank you in general, But I wasn't cheering for the Blue Jairs.
Speaker 3: I jumped forty feet in the air.
Speaker 1: Well, we know that your Leafs are playing tonight.
Speaker 3: I got stop with the leaf crap.
Speaker 1: Robin port Moody, is it just me? Every single show we hear about eleven point six, all of which is negative. Let's trade him before July one and end this miserable saga. I think Rob's more upset about people like you criticizing Elias Petterson than he is about the way Peterson and the Cannucks had been playing.
Speaker 3: You and Ryan are the bash Patterson more than anyone in the market. And what's his name on the morning's there brough? You three are the worst one.
Speaker 6: More quick go totally agree with Donnie on this. I'm never gonna sure. Oh you just read that.
Speaker 1: I got one Tony and Abbotsford. Is it just me? Or is it obvious? Ryan has never paid for ice time. Skipping a game in men's league in beer League is giving away one hundred bucks ice.
Speaker 6: But it's a game seven involving your team you're rooting for.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man like that doesn't happen every day.
Speaker 3: Ask Donnie who had to get ice for his minor hockey kid, and we've all done it. It's expensive, Rye, I get that.
Speaker 1: I know you'd be something paid money to play beer League, right, that's what? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it. I get it. Yeah, but.
Speaker 6: Game seven involving your team with this much on the line.
Speaker 1: I've got a great story and I don't know if I can share one of these days about a friend of mine missing a time sports event for something that wasn't big time. See one day I'll tell it and you know, hearkening back to BAMFF. You don't want to miss some of my stories.
Speaker 3: That's a very good point.
Speaker 1: Okay, one final break. We'll wrap up the show on the poll question next, Donnie Delly the team on check. The Wabbling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally since nineteen ninety one and has since built its reputation as one of Victoria's favorite watering holes. With twenty TVs, twenty local and domestic taps, and over two hundred seats, the Wabbling Dog has something for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views, and an unbeatable daily happy hour from four to six. The Dog is your one stop shop, with its attached cold beer and wine store offering up hundreds of local and important products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings and modern amenities, and only ten minutes from the airport and ferry terminal, there are countless reasons to come, sit and stay at the Waddling Dog.
Speaker 6: God Paul Rick Ryan up the Waddling Dog Pop pole question, and it is which remaining Canadian team has got the best chance to win the Stanley Cup Toronto Edmond to Winnipeg or hopefully none of them and leading the way again, we'rearing a tie here.
Speaker 3: Winnipig and hopefully none of them.
Speaker 6: Eleven hundred votes already, you've got some photos.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Ryan. Where we're going. You have the details on this, but we're going to the This is going to the dog. Yeah, we're going to the dog. My buddy Curtis, just grab my hat from the waddling dog in Victoria. Look at that beautiful weekend. And Curtis, who's an avid fan, watches the show every day, listens to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Uh, he's a what you call.
Speaker 3: It P one number in radio. We were told P one diehard fan. That's inside jargon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. It's a the hardcore fan.
Speaker 3: He's a P one, which is a hardcore Donny and Dolly fan. Curtis, good pal of mine. Thanks for doing.
Speaker 1: That other photos. You said you had a lot of photos, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 3: We love all p ones. Right where we're going MP twos, m P three's, m P four's Ryan. Here we go, look at this rich in Parksville enjoyed us sunny four days last week, campening Campbell River and exploring nearby lakes on our ATV with a good pals Brian Gordon Ray, who have been friends for over fifty five years. Look at Rich here, Riches.
Speaker 6: In the middle, look at Donny Dolly hat, Lanny McDonald's stash and looking goodsh goes with a hat.
Speaker 1: The hat is outstanding.
Speaker 3: Rich in Parksville with his buddies Brian Gordon Ray, Big Donny and Dolly fans. That's just outside of your old stopping grounds that Cambell River. Yeah, yeah, all right. Where we're going now.
Speaker 6: Right the last one here we're going to a stag on Black Mountain or something like that. Nah Ded Bryan up in Coloonna this past weekend playing Black Mountain the golf course for Taylor's stag.
Speaker 3: It was a great track, great track. Phil showed the other picture. Yeah, I got the other one of Phil and his buddies.
Speaker 1: Here there got the great track track hat.
Speaker 3: A great track, great track hat. There's Phil right there and they are golfing a Black Mountain for Taylor stag. Not Taylor's snag, not this Taylor.
Speaker 1: There's not a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Lisa calling you right now, that's a long stag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 6: I gotta say bachelor parties are getting out of control though, get away vacations now money on, money on.
Speaker 1: I don't think bachelor vacations are out of control like they used to be.
Speaker 3: But it's like destination things.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 6: I know, you might be getting maybe not as crazy as they once were, but it's just like the things that people do.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't have to that's true. Okay, we're good, Yeah, yeah, we're good. Thanks for tuning in, folks. Second round NHL Playoffs starts tonight Florida, Toronto. Enjoy it. Thanks so much for tuning in. I'll be off of Ryan Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and Check. I'm Don and You're up to dat and the World of Sports shoots