Speaker 1: Report the Transporter Room three. Oh, Brian, here, I need you in Transporter Room three. This is the captain. Meet me in Transporter Room three. Join us in Transporter Room three, Captain. We're heading for Transporter Room three. This is your favorite transport room, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Transporter Room three with your hosts Phil Carello and Stock Laura Energize.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another episode of Transporter Room three. Strange New World's edition. Trying that out. Let's start trying out out. How you doing, mister Scott.
Speaker 1: I'm doing all right. Yeah. It's a strange New World's time of year for us. I guess it's also the Vegas Con time of year as we record this. Right, creation it called the Creation Creation Con, Creation Vegas. What. Yeah, I feel like I'm not one of the cool kids, right, I'm watching everyone at the Vegas cond I'm watching from the sidelines as like the metaphorical football hero scores the game winning touchdown, right, except it's a nerd. It's some nerd dressed up as Q from encounter at far point instead of a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's that's a good nerd costume.
Speaker 1: Though it is a good nerdsto.
Speaker 3: They can rock it out.
Speaker 1: Probably gets pretty sweaty in there after a while though, right the hood and and everything very I'm guessing extremely but yeah, that's going on. We're missing it once again. We always say we're going to go and then we never go.
Speaker 3: At this point that the surprise will be if we actually do go.
Speaker 1: Well, I said to the wall last night, I was like, it's like, oh, man, the Vegas CON's going on. I didn't even realize. And uh, She's like, oh, what would you would you actually want to go to that? And I was like, well, I guess i'd want to go for an afternoon, you know, like just just to beam in for a little while, check it out, and then go home and then go home. I don't know that. I'm not sure I really would want to go do with like the full weekend or anything like, right, because it started to start yesterday, so Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. It's long. It's a long time, right, It's a very long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also, like you and I have sat through some of these panels and stuff over the years, like like I don't know how many times I need to hear Gates McFadden, who I love. I don't know how many times I need to hear Gates McFadden tell the same stories about you know whatever, like about.
Speaker 3: I could send here a little bit more, like like about Genesis, like shooting Genesis. I would love to hear.
Speaker 1: Oh right, which she directed well, because I I actually you might. You might have heard Phil I went on the Star Trek Cruise one time.
Speaker 3: No, I've never heard this. This is all.
Speaker 1: She did the whole She did a whole hour long panel about directing Gendesis where she played She played the episode and would pause it and up on the big screen and she she broke was breaking down scenes and stuff. Yeah, it was really cool. Actually was freaking cool. Yeah it was great. So so you know what, I take it back. I bet there's actually a lot of really cool panels like that at the Vegas Con. Also, so you know, I'm so I'm so anti comic con these days that it's spilling into my Vegas Con our for our former Vegas Con hopes and dreams spilling into that. So I gotta I have to build up. Yeah, I gotta build up some kind of a community. Yeah, well I was gonna say, uh, some ship. How a static warpshell? Uh?
Speaker 3: Any time line?
Speaker 1: All right, anyway, so what are we gonna do it? What are we doing? We're gonna talk about changing the world here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got back to back baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we're talking about episodes two and three. Full spoilers. This is the Griffin Incident and Human best Friend. So sort of maybe you could say the highs and the lows of the season so far. It's only only three episodes in, but Griffin Incident's really good. Human best Friend kind of sucks, right it is. You gonna start with the good or the bad. Let's start with the good, okay, Griffin. Yeah, we were hinting about this one, right. It's a ghost story or a haunted house stor or something. Uh, it's a horror episode of Star Trek.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fair and it's not the first time Star Trek has done a horror episode. It's the first time they've done like a horror episode like this, like, yeah, full out and it was they shut the hell out of it.
Speaker 1: It was. It was very well directed in that regard, Yes, yeah, very moody.
Speaker 3: The special effects were really solid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh Axcel Caroline directed it. Who I'm not familiar with uh, but I believe you said that she is. She's on our buddy Jordan Hoffman's podcast this week talking about.
Speaker 3: The episode for the relaunch star Log.
Speaker 1: Yeah, star logo. All your old timers out there, if you remember star.
Speaker 3: Log, you set starlog all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Uh, star Log is coming back. It's the same people that revived Fangoria and Jordan, Jordan and another friend, uh or for another friend of the podcast, this guy, Dave Gonzalez. Those those guys are running the podcast for star Log and uh, they're also doing a newsletter I think.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they have the director of the Griffin into the non I haven't listened to it yet. I wanted I wanted to. Yeah, you're right, it's very mood it's a very moody episode. So the Nuts and Baltimore are just that la on Spock and Kirk. Is he lieutenant I guess? Or is he a lieutenant commander at this point.
Speaker 3: I think he's attempts to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure. He might just be lieutenant, which is quite a rise through the ranks, considering he's gonna be captain pretty soon, right soon.
Speaker 3: Well, he's the greatest captain.
Speaker 1: That's true. Uh he The three of them were back from us like Starfleet Leadership seminar or something real rail brown nosing event that they attend, and they they run into this this abandoned ship, the USS Griffin, which has been missing for years. Looks like it's a Constitution class ship, right, it seems.
Speaker 3: To be, Yeah, a redress of Enterprise.
Speaker 1: Yeah so, and the exterior as well looked the same, and so the ship's been miss missing for years.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I was gonna say, you gotta love the the original series would redress a lot, Yes, the Enterprise a lot, the other ships. You gotta love that they're continuing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It makes it a bottle episode, and as much as one of these can be a bottle episode because they still have some fancy visual effects. But but yeah, so they so the ship is, they can't find anyone on board. There's nothing wrong with the ship as far as they can tell, but it's also not operating correctly. And then they realize it's it's maybe it's haunted. I don't know. There's this woman walking around who keeps to Rose Harper. Yes, yeah, it turns out it's the farmer security chief, right, who is sort of sort of gets into Lan's head. She kind of jack Torrance's lawn. I would say, yes, yes, yeah, and they all sort of split Oh sorry, keep coming, you go ahead, man, No, you go. I was just gonna say they all sort of split off at some point and have their own mini mini horror adventure on board, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Spocks is relegated to sick Bay.
Speaker 1: Yes where uh.
Speaker 3: What is her name, Scott? That's not tol to bring to bring to Pring sorry? Yeah. To Pring is manifested, Yes, and it's clearly revealed to be a it's unclear, but it's revealed to not really be her clearly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: It is some combination of ah, the physical embodiment of a memory that's of her meets the supernatural infused version of that. Yeah, it's like Beatle Juice clone whatever Spock was thinking of.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah. And it's like weirdly manifesting, like it's saying like the to Pring, the to Pring manifestations, saying all the things like Spock would want to hear. Kind of right, It's like, yes, it's it's like you know, I would you know when you just took me on vacation as a surprise. I told you, I you know that I do not appreciate surprises. I was wrong to say that. You know, I am in therapy now and I realized that I did not get love you the way you deserve to be loved. All kinds of stuff that like, It's things Spock would want to be hearing from his ex girl, right right.
Speaker 3: And why would a It's unclear why a supernatural entity would play that long com that way other than to lure Spock into a false sense of security to do right, Yeah, but what is it?
Speaker 1: What's it ultimately trying to do? So it's ultimately trying to kill everyone, I guess, But that's what on the Griffin, right, So, but it's somehow seducing them. But so it's taking different tacks though, But it's sort of seducing Spock with those ideas. But with with Kirk, it's really sort of haunting him, uh, with the idea of abandoning his son. This is a lot of talk about David David Marcus in this episode. There's a baby, I guess now, and Kirk is sort of what's still with Carol Marcus at this point? Or kind of and he's having visions or he's hearing David crying and he's having visions of David. Thinks David fell like behind the control panels and on the bridge right.
Speaker 3: Sequence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's almost like the ghost is acting differently or the whatever, the haunting, whatever it is, it's acting, it's acting differently from the way it's acting towards Spock at first, right, Yeah, And it's also acting differently from how it's acting towards Laan, where Laan is sort of more more like full on coming face to face with the Rose Harper who seems to be the chief ghost for whatever reason. So and I think, like, as much as I like the episode, I think that's where I butted up against it a little bit because, like they sort of the the structure of how this haunting or whatever it was worked or what it was doing was never quite clear to me, and you never got an you never get any answers either, right now.
Speaker 3: That's what I book into too, Like there's two like things like structureally like the after like the first act break or two, the crew really isn't doing anything right, there's no real goal. Kirk is is waiting for Enterprise to show up. Right, Spock's trying to get out of sick Bay, and you know, CON's relative is trying.
Speaker 1: She's kind of just like she's sort of amping up and saying, you know what, I'm just going to go kill my crewmates eventually, right, Like yeah, yeah, I mean, but there there, they're not active. They're not active, I think, is what you're saying, Like, yeah, yeah, there's.
Speaker 3: No active goal. And I know, like you know, in a haunted house, like your goal is to get back someone who was taken get out of the house, get them back to get out of the house. Or you have to defeat or overcome a physical problem or a thematic one tied to the physical problem to get out.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: That's that's how haunted house stuff works. And none of that is really here. So then like the second so the second thing that I bumped into is like the ending of it is you know, it's like a fairy tale, you know, like you can you can have a goal in a fairy tale and not get it and not have a reward. But you can't have the goal and not have the reward manifest this way, you know, like you would have to Yeah, there has to be something. It's just well, what do you think it is?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And then like the last ten minutes the episode is kind of like an epilogue and it's trying to like do the ambiguity and ambiguous ending type thing, but even Pike's explanation for it isn't very satisfying in that area.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's the button you want to put on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't make sense. And he's like he's like, oh yeah, and by the way, I'm going to falsify the logs, like I'm going to admit all this info so you don't get in trouble to law and.
Speaker 3: They've been down this road before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, well you can't do that. And you're second, you're sending these poor Section twelve bastards in to investigate now, uh, and they're gonna be going in with only half the story. They need to know everything, Like you what if they get this?
Speaker 3: I didn't think of that. That's a great.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make Yeah, that doesn't makes sense. And then the closing shot, which is it's and that's the thing. I think the episode's really creepy, which is is great, but then like when you think it through, it doesn't always make sense, but that the closing shot where that the Rose Harper ghost is kind of like puts her finger to her lips like to a law and sees her out in the Griffin. It's like, oh, wow, that's that's creepy. But like, will there ever be any follow up to that? Like, I don't think has that ship's been towed?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Like you so, yeah, will we ever go back to Division twelve?
Speaker 1: I don't, ye know, I somehow I don't think so, but I guess we'll find out. They name dropped it enough that you would think they would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I doubt they were just laying that up, but.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was bummed by the Like an X Files episode can have that ambiguous thing, you know, but does a wrap up with Mulder and Scully's character right to some degree you know, or at least some understanding that they had. But before the characters end this episode in a different places than they started.
Speaker 1: But not.
Speaker 3: Fully, you know, like like they they survived a terrifying experience and learned a little bit more about themselves, Like, uh, she becomes more actualized, more comfortable with the fact that she's not going to be her fears through this episode is I'm gonna be go, I'm gonna embrace my kindness. But she can straddle that because the only family she has a starfleet, so she is how alone is she? You know? And ghosts Rose Harper feeds on that. But yeah, yeah, I don't I don't know where if it I don't know where they go satisfactorily. Yeah, the end of this, you know, I don't know if it's a big enough change.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I agree, And it's pretty gory, which bothered me, Like I don't need to I didn't need to see Pike cutting his fingers.
Speaker 3: Off or no, and I will and Mounds a good actor, but these two episodes show that there are limits to his goodness in terms of range. Yes, I didn't fully buy his descent into red remness. Yeah, yeah, I didn't fully buy his Jack torrentsing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was digging it with the Spock cutting off the tips of his ears. That was some oh ship. So there were at that part, I'm like, okay, they're raising the stakes. It's about halfway through the episode. How they're going to pay all this off? That's this is clearly going to be some sort of hallucination, some sort of alien specters fucking with them, like they're going to figure something out. And then it was like, no, Spock really did, like he really does. Oh, okay, that's cool. But the going that far down without much of a payoff or restitution to.
Speaker 1: That, Like yeah, and I'm I guess with him, the idea is, oh, he's supposed to be accepting that his human part is an important part of him or something. But but like, it doesn't really line up with the chronology of Spock's character if you think about it either, right, but we're we're coming up again, We're coming up. I'm assuming we're coming up on the early adventures of him working with Captain kirk Soon, where he's very vulcan, right, So, like, so it doesn't it doesn't quite add up, you know.
Speaker 3: So, And also when they flirt with origins like this, you know, or the conflict between this match lining up with Cannon, I'm not you know, you know, I can't in diatribe, you know, I'm not. But an event like this that happens to a character who means so much to bout the franchise and the fans of it. Someone's bringing this up one time, you would think, right, someone's hey, remember that time you were on that ship that was haunted?
Speaker 4: Yes, and you cut off your own ears.
Speaker 1: Right and you know, yes, yes captain and you you were almost killed by the descendant of con NOONI and singing right.
Speaker 3: What like during all my time, you know, the spock not go like you know, if time were made today, there would be some sort of acknowledgment.
Speaker 1: Right, oh yeah, And I mean and also like Kirk has to know about to bring at this point, right because like again like just in terms of like filing the reports of what happened, Like, holy shit, what did you see while you were on the Griffin spot? You know? Oh, you know, like it's like because in the mock time, nobody knows about to bring right.
Speaker 3: So right, here's my pitch for a sequel based on your idea. Scott Okay, Division twelve had no idea. The report was not fully uh de laust. Yes, yes, Enterprise is doing its thane and they get a distress call fucking escape pod from that toe ship District twelve, and they bring they're running from whatever the fuck was happening on it. They didn't know about. Why didn't you tell us the truth?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 3: They brought out board of the Enterprise.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that would be good. Boom, there you go. You know what was my favorite thing in the end, And I liked despite our nippicking right now, I like the episode because it is so moody and so so different and.
Speaker 3: Beautifully shot, beautifully directed, and the first half is very successful successful.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the three actors are all great also, I think incredibly good. Yeah. Yeah, But and I don't. I'm like, I think we're in agreement. I think everyone kind of has been that, Like when you haven't been big fans of Paul Wesley's Kirk, but like I've basically gotten used to him at this point, and now when I just accept him as being Okay, this is Kirk, now I'm able to kind of say, okay, this is I like what he's doing here. Like the stuff with David Marcus and Carol is interesting, you know, and it's they're very on the nose at times too, by the way, where they're like, you're you know, every Kirk dies in space alone. But like I liked it anyway, even though it.
Speaker 3: Is liked it, but that but also I like that in that it feeds into I've always known a die alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Ruck five Kirk.
Speaker 3: You know, and I also like Kirk's the little touches with David.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and they say, David, they say, your son is going to die at the end of a bloody knife too someday.
Speaker 3: I know that was messed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but my favorite oh sorry.
Speaker 3: Sorry, if you were told that that.
Speaker 1: Would that would come by a supernatural being, right, like that would come up in.
Speaker 3: Between Star Treks two and three, you know, that would there'd be some That's what bothers me is that they're they're doing stuff like that in the face of Cannon in a way that cheapens the emotional reality created by these beloved Yeah, kind of undercuts their effectiveness.
Speaker 1: Because after Star Trek three, you would think Kirk would be like, holy shit, that ghost.
Speaker 3: Someone told me that thirty years ago. Yeah, and I dismissed. You know, I dismissed. It was a one of a hundred of missions.
Speaker 1: You know, right right right, Yeah, that ghost. I never thought about it, you know, like that ghost that inhabited the descendant of Khan, who we never talk about anymore predicted. But my favorite moment in the episode, it's just a throwaway gag, but it's when the possessed law On or the messed up mind controlled whatever it is with law and she's all messed up. She tries to beam or take us into or tagas.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was cool.
Speaker 3: That was really well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was really cool. And then it turns out those guys are all illusions anyway, I guess right, which was confusing because you pointed out we were texting me I think when we watched it or when at some point and you were like, so, why are why are we still seeing like Kirk's brother, he's he's corpse floating in space at this point. If he's just an illusion and no one, no one's there to see it except the cat us as a viewer, why would we still Why would it be there? It's supposed to be an illusion. They're imagining it, you know. So it's like, well, because it looks cool basically, but that's.
Speaker 3: The only reason why that exists. It breaks the rules of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, episode, So yeah, Yeah, it was cool seeing him get the newborn from Ellien Resurrection though, where his guts were getting sucked out through us. Yes, yeah, okay, you want anything else on this one? No?
Speaker 3: I wish we could still talk about it because the next episode, I I am not this person. I don't watch TV like this. I had to fast forward because I struggled to care. Yes, and Alan Sewall summarized this episode very well in his recap. For Alan Seppwall, the former Rollingstone TV critic, I was trying to put a descriptor put a name on my feeling for this, you know, And I'm paraphrasing, but he said, it's like that one co worker who made everyone laugh once in the office and now thinks they're the funniest person ever. Wow, and continues to do that without realizing.
Speaker 1: Is he referring to like I think he's referring to that the musical episode, not so much the.
Speaker 3: Musical episode, but he's referring to like, you know, they have touched on comedy before in the show and been successful, right, And they have moment the cast has moments of comedy. So the show, the producers, the writers, the show seems to think that because they succeeded okay one time, that they can sustain a whole farcical episode like this, right, And that's that's abrasive. It doesn't. This is a bad episode of Star Trek it's it's it's like the in the Cards episode of d S nine.
Speaker 1: What was that one? I can't remember.
Speaker 3: That's the one where Nog and Jake are trying to get a baseball card for Cisco. Oh yes, right, And it's this elaborate, fucking contemplary. It's the lowest stakes, but they complicate it well. Right. It puts these two together in a way that's very interesting to watch. These two are just trying to figure out what the hell happened to them, get their ship, get their shuttle, all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Mounts comedic skills.
Speaker 1: Cringey.
Speaker 3: I didn't buy him drunk. I didn't buy that he would get these tattoos. I also don't buy the premise of the episode that I understand that they need to decompress before this very important negotiation, But would you really choose a planet whose atmosphere can get you drunk right few days before the Yeah, it's all important thing, Like, aren't you worried?
Speaker 1: Like that's the whole setup right there there. Yeah, the crews would really tightly and so they go they're going to go to basically it's a pleasure planet type deal, right, and essentially, Yeah, the atmosphere gets you essentially inebriated. They call it atmospheric inebriation, right right, and so, but I mean the it's not synth the whole effects. Like these people are like out of their minds wasted, it seems.
Speaker 3: And completely different people like Ahura.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, completely different people. And like for I said this in my review for IGN, but like for Pike to allow himself to be seen that way by his crew would be so I feel like, I feel like it would be so confidence shattering for his under for his underlings, they would never be like seeing your dad drunk for the first time or something like he would never liked, never seen him say drunk.
Speaker 3: He gets a Mike Tyson facial tattoo.
Speaker 1: And he's like, yeah, he can barely talk. Thought I thought that it was a chacotate tattoo or yeah, we'll call it the chacote Tyson but uh, but he's the way he can. It's like he can barely talk. He's like so out of character. Like I really like times like that, Like it's almost like I skiv ants in mount right, because it's like like rap rein it in man, Like I know you guys, like you one time, you described this cast so well as having big drama drama club energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do.
Speaker 1: They're big ye breads and when it when it works, it works. But then it's there's times like this where the material doesn't give it doesn't do them any help. And no, I think like Mount should have reined it in in this case.
Speaker 3: And Pike should Pipe should You're right, Scott like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and like.
Speaker 3: The behavior is so out of regardless of your your atmosphere is made out of long island ized teas, like regardless of that, Pike should have known better. And if this confidence shattering beat. And again, that's a really very awesome observation I wish I picked up on. That was probably too busy to pass forward. But the follow through that would be like, Hey, I know I'm trying to be the cool dad, the cool captain, but I overstepped and I let my crew down. I got to rein that in and he like overcorrects, has to try to find like a balance. Like there's an episode there especially coming off of Hey, I think we got to let genocide happen because of a hunch that kicked off the season. Ah me crazy, But I got this magic eight ball gut feeling. We're supposed to observe an entire civilization die so that ours can live. But let's see how it plays out space.
Speaker 1: The other thing is then, so yeah, and it's it's Melissa Navia and who plays ortegas in Martin Quinn, right, And so it's their episode mainly, and so they're going around trying to like it's basically for an hour. Yeah, they hang over for an hour basically, And and I actually think, you know, I can't. I hate to say it. I hate to admit it. I can't understand half of what Martin Quinn is saying.
Speaker 3: I struggle with it too, man, And we watch.
Speaker 1: These screeners which don't have subtitles or at least mind own I don't think. I don't think they do in general, So it's hard to understand him. And then but but he I thought he was funny. But I think Melissa Navia is like the most under used person on this shows. This episode, she despite everything, she succeeds in this episode. And then yeah, she does. And then Martin Quinn as a result kind of rides along with her and like, and so the two of them they have a nice you know, nice moment at the end and all, but like the fact that by the end of the episode when they leave the planet and then they're back on the ship to the peace negotiations negotiations, and they're still drunk. And this is negotiations to settle a civil war, right, I mean it's not They're not negotiating a trade agreement. They're not negotiating who you know, who gets to go see the Odyssey in imax or you know, Like it's like this is they're negotiating us between warring factions in the civil war. And Pike is like, you know what, I'm going to walk into this with my crew drunk and and hope I pull this off. Yeah, Like like that is so like, I mean they should be court martialed for that. Actually, and they and the episode is about alpha shift and they they're actually it's about the three shift rotation, and like, like they should have and again I said this is my jam review too, but like they should they should have called in Beta shift to do those peace negotiations. They were not in any condition, you know. So the episode is so flawed. It's not funny for the most part. Right, Like the I don't know the gimmicks like whether is it Kirk's spot things Kirk's an illusion the whole time turns out of the hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't work. It doesn't work right, Yeah, so and that whole bit like it it's a hat on a hat, like it keeps hitting the same note.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: And I I agree with Trek Corter's assessment of the episode. Drunk people are fun when you are also drunk right deeply annoying when you are sober, and we are sober watching them.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, speak for yourself, but.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna I butcher. I feel like I didn't do Alan seven Wall's assessment justice, so I just wanted to share it. Human best friend asked the eternal question, what if the hangover? But make it star Trek. We're once stranging world's comedy episodes fell both nimble and charming changes the pace. Now they have the air of your coworker who got a big laugh in a department meeting once and now fancy themselves the office comedian. That is a I think you should leave now sketch to me. You know, Yeah, but that's a great way to summarize it. Several of the cast members, in particular, Antson Mount and Ethan Peck proved to be surprisingly good comic actors, but surprisingly is doing a lot of work here. They can do it and sometimes do it quite well, but it's not their default performing state, and the more you ask them to do it, the more the returns diminish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, it's true. It's true. Yeah. So do you READT. Sepenwall's newsletter or is this.
Speaker 3: It's his newsletter?
Speaker 1: Okay, you subscribe to it?
Speaker 3: I do, I don't pay for it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, So there is a because there is an unpaid version. I guess you get partial, yes.
Speaker 3: And you get partial stuff. That's enough for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, listen, sorry, I mean everyone has a newsletter these days, and I mean sepn Wall is doing okay, seven walls, seven walls, like the Enterprise Post Wriker, it's gonna go along to separate. Wall is gonna go along just fine without us. So okay, yeah, this not great, not a great situation. And I mean he's right because and that's why when you mentioned it earlier, I was like, oh, did he mean the musical episode? Because I feel like, strangely worlds fell into this pattern of like like we have to do gimmicks, right, and I felt like this season was maybe getting away from that a little bit. I'm not sure if it is, but like, you know, like the the musical, the travel back.
Speaker 3: But the karaoke thing, the totally clips of the heartbeat. I dug that it went on too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she was I mean she she must have worked hard to get all that, all that dialogue, right, you know, yeah, that that of course, but then you know, like Nurse Chap was playing bingo with these homicidal aliens or something, is like.
Speaker 3: I don't buy Yeah. And also, I Scott, I think you touched on this a few moments ago, but the the inconsistency of how the planet affects the crew, Yeah, it seems to affect him in whatever way the plot needs them to be affected.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, yep, yeah, So okay, probably better to end it there. I don't know what else there is to say about, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I I the commercial for the hotel that they're at.
Speaker 1: There's some Easter eggs in that, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's got that TV Funhouse Original Series animation.
Speaker 4: Style, yeah, which I dug almost looked like they might have recycled it from Do you remember when they did those like the very short tracks a couple of years ago, which were like weird comedic little.
Speaker 1: Thing anime, that thing. It was the guy that did what's his name, the guy the guy who did the ship I'm blanking on his name and his most famous project, here's that movie, Buddy coming out this summer, is the guy that did the the adult swim thing Too many Cooks? Do you remember too Many? Oh? Yeah, he did these. He did these very they were called them very short trek, very short treks, And there were these like two or three minute animated things that they did on Paramoun Plus for Star Trek a few years ago, and there was like zany They were adult swim style zany animated things. The animation and the ad for the for Dave Foley's Planet looked to me like they might have almost been recycling old artwork from those shorts. That interesting, Okay to check that out, but I don't know, maybe not. But also I like Dave Foley and Star Trek. Yeah, except he doesn't have anything to do really right, you know, So.
Speaker 3: Trivia on the you go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe this is what you're going to say but like one of those one of the people in the animated It's only a couple of shots, but so it's it looks like Andrea from what the Little Girls made of she's wearing the outfit as right.
Speaker 3: And there's a an Andorian from Journey to Babbel. Yes or the Spy, I should say yes, yes, Trek Carr pointed out, I missed this. I wish I saw it in the records of that room that Scotti Artagis wake up in. There's a triple and the remote controlled vehicle that Alexander uses in Rascals.
Speaker 1: Really yeah about I saw the triple. I didn't notice the roote control and also Scotty's wearing the Mugatu costume that they used on Starfleet Academy in one right, like.
Speaker 3: Glad to see that survive hundreds of years.
Speaker 1: All right, that's it. We move on to the replemt Oh real quick though. You want to you love this episode, you want to keep talking about it.
Speaker 3: I love this little trivia. So I did not know this. James Doohan, due to an injury from his service in World War Two, he was missing part of his finger. Oh then he went to yeah me neither and he went to great lengths to hide it from the camera. While on Star Trek, I got given that history. There's a joke at the end of this week's episode about Scott blows off a finger.
Speaker 1: Oh right, that's a little weird. Yeah, you know, for what's supposed to be for what's supposed to be a comedy episode to end on that gag where his thumb is literally hanging off of his hand and it's bloody, and now to hear that it's actually oh it's some kind of weird homage to the James Doing actually losing a part of his finger in the war. How weird and grizzly is that? Ah? Man? All right, now we have now we have to go to the Replemat to wash our wash our mouths of this right to wish the taste out of our mouths. Yeah, let's do it. I'm going to the Replemat to get something to eat. You want me to go first for a change, Sure, Okay, I'm gonna recommend a movie which is thirty two years old. It's the documentary Crumb about the Super duck Man. Yeah, the famous comics with an X I guess Robert Crumb, the artist, the great Robert Crumb. It's a terrific, you know, unsettling and disturbing, but but really and entertaining, I guess, and moving documentary about Crumb, not just Crumb, but about his family dysfunctional family came from. We meet his two brothers, who are you know, never keep the level of success that he did to say the least, but are very interesting artists characters in their own right. Uh. And it delves into all of comes weird proclivities and how he became the guy he was despite all the hurdles that he faced. And it's this sort of unsparing look at the artists and that it's it's by Terry's, So I go off, who went on to make like Art School Confidential? And Yeah, what's the one with the young scult Rowhanson and and Steve Buscemi and Ghost World? Yeah that's I think that's what also Terry's. But but yeah, it's really good if you're if you have any interest in like the comics industry, or even just documentaries or even just human nature, I recommend Crumb. The reason I bring it up is my son wanted had wanted to see it for a long time. He'd heard me talk about it, and we finally put it on the other night and we couldn't stop. Like we came home, it's like twelve thirty at night. I was like, oh, you want to just put Crumb on? And I didn't think we'd actually watch the whole thing right there, but we wound up. Just why we were up till three in the morning watching it. It's just it's gripping. It's so good. So that's my tick.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's streaming on streaming for free some oh on the Roku channel, I think is where we watched.
Speaker 3: It, Okay, and that's what ads.
Speaker 1: It is with ads unfortunately. Yes, but I'm a cheap motherfucker, and I was not willing to pay the two ninety nine to rent to write rent the digital copy.
Speaker 3: So I hear you, man, I get it. I only rent if I have I don't like giving my business to Amazon, but I only rent if I have Amazon credits.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'll got that off there. I'm kind of the same way. Yeah, what about you.
Speaker 3: I'm going to recommend a Hulu series that was dumped late July, but don't be fooled. It's really good. It's furious.
Speaker 1: Oh Okay, I was wondering about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from Liz U Meriwether, she created the New Girl And who would have thought that the created of the New Girl could pull off a cop show?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: The very timely, very riveting. Like I was shocked at how much I liked it because it was completely not in my zip code of watching. Yeah, but it starts at Emmy Ross and from Shameless and Mystic River? Is that my daughter in there? She's the daughter in there? From Mystic River? She plays a burnout FBI agent former n IPD cop who is assigned to what appears to be a serial killer murder case in connected to some Epstein level sex trafficking.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, and.
Speaker 3: The killer as unique ties to the trafficking.
Speaker 1: Okay, And it's it's very much.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, if you were on Team Luigi when that healthcare CEO was taken out. It's it's inspired seemingly by that and what's talking on the last couple of years. But man, these episodes, the cliffhangers?
Speaker 1: Is itwing?
Speaker 3: I don't believe it's. I think it's still a weekly. But I had screeners and we binged it in three nights. We would have done too, but it was like one two in the morning. Yeah right, Yeah, it's great acting, incredible performances. Trigger warning. You know, there is a lot of discussion depiction of sexual assault. Sure, but uh it's a it's a very well made show.
Speaker 1: Okay. Yeah, I was wondering about that. I kept seeing press releases as it tough for it, and I couldn't get my hand spin man. Okay, okay, did you say Emmy Rosham was in Mystic River.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's she's She's Champan's daughter. Oh wow, my daughter in there. Okay, Okay, that's the only thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, A couple of good ones. Maybe not the most like cheery optimistic picks this week, but what can we what can we tell you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Well on that note, you, Yeah, if you want to get really optimistic, let's go to the Red Shirt of the Week.
Speaker 2: Attention all crew, please don your dress uniforms and prepare the photon torpedo coffins. It's time for the Red Shirt of the Week.
Speaker 3: We're revisiting the Griffin. I was gonna do a first contact one, but I'm gonna save that since we're talking about the Griffin. Uh on the long list of crew members who were either stab strangled, or dumped into space by the evil Rose Harper or the turned evil Rose Harper. We're going off the casualty reports.
Speaker 1: Crewman A Bara, Okay.
Speaker 3: Maybe they were one of the specters that showed up in the engine room. Okay when the hands down there, but uh, very creepy scene. There's Andorians mixed in there. There's just that crew did not go gently into that good night. But yeah, or we're gonna pour out some uh I know, what is little David like to drink milk? Well, sippy cup of space.
Speaker 1: Milk, some Carol Marcus milk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so some some synth Scott Gross, some baby Syntha Hall like some approved replicator juice. Pour that out and and I hope their fate was better than fake Kirk's brothers.
Speaker 1: Crewman Abara, Okay, yeah, we hardly knew you. We hardly knew the whole crew of the Griffin for that matter, right, but we didn't never never even knew the Griffin existed.
Speaker 3: So no, and I wish I got to know Chief Baboo. I saw that name on the report. I wonder who that is.
Speaker 1: Okay, they have a life. They have a lot of judging by the ghosts or whatever they are. They have a lot of andorians on that crew. Actually, right, like these are a fewans floating around. That's right, all right, Well I guess that'll do it. Thanks as always, Phil, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Thank you Scott, and thank you guys for listening. Please sound off on what do you guys think of these episodes. Let us know your thoughts on both, especially you know, drunken buffoonery the episode. And thank you all for listening. It's really fun to do this. We're we're glad you hang out with us. Until next time, CI on Gravette Island, H