Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: You see that there is the sound of leeches, leeches on society, users of the National Health Service. It's the sound of people who take more than they give to society. Here's me a picture of health. None of my family, well we've all got colds. None of my family doing anything other than giving to the greater good. And there's you two taking sucking at the teat of Britain.
Speaker 3: Mine had an air ambulance as well, so I think that's a charity we've costed as money of as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you Callum, you know you've just got back. I mean they go, you see off. So listen, dear listeners of Country Slide. Perhaps we should explain this isn't the crappiest start of casualty that you've had special you see, because this is what Country Slide is all about.
Speaker 1: We did We're going to clap into the depths.
Speaker 2: Of everything that goes wrong, largely in the countryside and occasionally it's good bits. And this week we're talking about well we didn't intend to talk about health, but unfortunately we don't.
Speaker 1: It overtook us.
Speaker 3: I think Callum should go first because his story hopefully is shorter. Yeah, he got jealous of Vine and had his own I really.
Speaker 4: I really don't want to be in any way close to like a topper. It sounds almost it's like it's like I've done this for the contents.
Speaker 1: It was not.
Speaker 5: It was not a great moment.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I've updated you briefly and probably like barely anybody knows about this because it happened late last night. So there might be a few of my friends listening that are like, you didn't tell me, so you know.
Speaker 3: So this is Tuesday, and public get this on the Friday.
Speaker 5: This is breaking news to most people.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So my two year old is at a stage in her life where she will look you dead in the eye and do horrible things that will make you shout at her because she thinks that's brilliant. So that could be pulling clumps of hair out of her brother's head. She quite likes doing that. Yesterday, she trapped him in the Wendy House first and then started pulling his hair, so he was screaming in the Wendy House, and then she was just smiling watching me and then slowly reaching for his hair to pull while I then told her off and had to try and I don't know if you've ever seen a six foot man try and drag a child from a Wendy house. But there's all sorts of angles that is where it.
Speaker 5: Doesn't really work. That was fun.
Speaker 4: The next one was she had a fistful of coins, which sounds a bit like a like a Western. I've watched that spaghetti Western. Yeah, it sounds like a new thing on Amazon Prime. She had a fist full of coins, and then she sort of looked at me and then put them towards her mouth, and I said no, And then I went over to retrieve that a fistful of coins. She'd put them into her mouth. I inverted her, tapped her on the back. Coins fell out, so did at about six Easter eggs and a blue raspberry ice cream that she'd just had, and a moosaka in the that kind of luminous blue, chunky aubergine, all over the dog bed, all up the wall, over the skirt in.
Speaker 2: Just to confirm here, callum, this was vomit, not that she was holding it all in her cheeks like a hamster.
Speaker 5: Ye, No, that was indeed vomit.
Speaker 3: This wasn't It wasn't like a a slot machine paying.
Speaker 4: Out right, no, no, unfortunately, and then and then she was sick, and then we kept an eye on her, and about an hour later she still kept being sick intermittently. So at that point we were like, okay, I don't like this, So we went to UBI, went to A and E and they.
Speaker 5: Saw us quite quickly, which was really nice.
Speaker 4: And at one point they pulled a metal detector out and scanned over the the top of the child and it went deep. And then she went, I'm not wearing any rings. Can we just double checks she's not got any metal on it anyway?
Speaker 5: Beep beep.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to pass you on to somebody else.
Speaker 3: You get the special treatment now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now we think you're full of coins, so you would go to somebody else. So then we had several X rays and then it was it was stuck in her esophagus, so it hadn't gone down the windpipe, which is, you.
Speaker 5: Know, the the good bit.
Speaker 4: But it does make you does make you reflect on that it could have got a lot worse.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we ended up going to having to see who could take the sedation of a two year old on as a as an antist, which everybody would willing to take it until they heard it was a two year old and then they were like, nope, we don't want to do it. So Adam Brooks shout out Adam Brook's Cambridge Hospital.
Speaker 5: They decided to take it on.
Speaker 4: So we went in about nine o'clock last night and we left at three o'clock the following day. So it's it's very long, it's been a long time.
Speaker 3: What was your blood pressure like do you think during you know, from from a handful of coins right through to when you message me saying it's out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's there's the anesthetic bits, the really the scary bit, I think.
Speaker 5: And also they were worried that in the.
Speaker 4: Ambulance that it would it would come back up and get so they had to take a like a recess guy in the ambulance from Harlowe to.
Speaker 5: To there.
Speaker 4: So yeah, that was there was lots of scary moments, but we did the right thing. The NHS were wonderful. The staff were really good. You got the sense that all of them were really really good. But they were working with their with their one arm tied behind their back because they were super stretched for resources, and they're like, well, we like helping people, because that's kind of why we work here. But we just don't have the ability to get it done basically, So it took a lot longer than they wanted it to and but that's the best they could do, and they did a great job and it got retrieved. Nothing terrible happened. I am mighty relieved. Blood pressure was probably through the roof. Yeah, you do think of all the it's weird.
Speaker 5: You just.
Speaker 4: There's no point welling on terrible things, But you do think of the of the terrible things and how much worse it could have been, and it could have been a choking situation, and it does get very scary, but thankfully.
Speaker 3: And up until yesterday evening, you weren't thinking about a child swallowing a coin that was that was a sort of the pile of hypotheticals in your life, like asteroid impact and.
Speaker 5: Well, choking is a really serious thing. Like there's all sorts of things that people give.
Speaker 4: To children that are really bad choking hazards, things like balloons and popcorn.
Speaker 2: Soldiers when I was a child, really yeah, lead soldiers.
Speaker 5: Anything that can block the airway people give.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think most people know now to cut grapes up and stuff like that, because that's cut grapes up for kids, because they are the perfect size for blocking an airway.
Speaker 3: It's more than your little finger. Yeah, tiny, tiny thing.
Speaker 5: Well, not a good thing to be ingested whole.
Speaker 1: So let's let's come to the quick.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 1: Have you got the coin back?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And all of the there was almost a sweep steak because all they could see was the x ray, but not obvious sign the coin's value.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 4: It was a one pea coin. It's the lowest denominations.
Speaker 1: Coin in our pocket.
Speaker 5: I don't know what you I was going to check.
Speaker 1: You have to get it sort of dis mounted. I can.
Speaker 2: I can make a stick for you and put that penny and I'll glue it to the top of the stick. If you've got it, I'll make it.
Speaker 3: Just remind you and next time that child starts eating things, you can swing that stick towards them.
Speaker 5: It should go with the x ray as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think my I'll be honest the x ray that Callum is showing us. If I actually started engraving, would you bet that was a one p It looks to me x ray that it's about a sort of two pang coin. It's massive mine, just supposed to have got a little ribcage.
Speaker 4: Isn't They effectively said, there was a sweep steak going on in the back room where they were guessing what coin it would have been that was ingested, and they were really interested. And I think the money came from a little bag of coins that my son has, which contains all stuff from all over the world, like all the random change you collect from.
Speaker 3: All those old little euro ones that.
Speaker 4: So once I opened it up that it could be you know, ten kona or some Icelandic denomination currency there.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, my child swallowing. We're a very cosmopolitan family here, you know.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, then they start looking at your socioeconomic status and working out where you've been to on holiday. It's not going to be anything Austrians.
Speaker 4: No, I think there's a there's an old Belgian king Leopold coin in there.
Speaker 5: He was a good guy, I think, yeah.
Speaker 1: Very popular in the in the in Africa.
Speaker 2: So we have seen how you have leeched off society by feeding your child coins. We now move on to mister Prido, who obviously this sadly is one of those podcasts that doesn't stretch to having a camera, but just to go and paint the picture for you, dear listener. So Callum's in his little eerie, I'm in my study and Richard is propped up in bed. Imagine the scene if James Robertson Justice was one of the patients in carry On Doctor rather than the senior doctor. That's what we're seeing is he's propped up in bed. He's got various rather grand paintings surrounding him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks like an antique shop and a charity shop of.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we've fallen into an antique shop in Lavenum.
Speaker 4: I like the candles as well, so he could I could hold his own vigil exactly.
Speaker 2: There is there is something of the antique shop meets crypt about where. So why are you Richard propped up on a bed? And why have you got a bell from the front counter of a hotel next to you? Which is the sound you heard, dear listener at the start of the show.
Speaker 3: I think addressed the bell first because it is rather magnificent. This was a gift from a mystery mystery supporter in Suffolk who lays hedges. He thought this bell that summons people to this room where I'm invalided would be a good way to cement security in my marriage and wider family life. So here you go. Yeah pleasant, actually quite. It's also exactly the same tone as a Great Western Railway signal box bell, how lovely?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well.
Speaker 3: I could reenact my own version of Charles Dickens the Signal Box, which is yeah. So again, six people got that right. It has been known that I occasionally turned my hand to cutting down trees. So working on a maiden coppice, which is basically a bit of woodland that hasn't been coppised yet. You're cutting the trees down for the first time, so then they'll regrow and do all the shoots, and you've got to do that more or less by the end of March. So this was week last Saturday, so I think it's like twenty eighth of March or something like that, and just trying to get them all down, and this bit I was working on was the'd been a bit of wind movement through the trees anyway, so everything was a bit gnarled and hung up. So I'd got one down and this is towards sort of four o'clock, thinking I'll just do this one and with a finish for the day, you know, got it down on the ground. It was still slightly attached at the hinge went off and checked all the little This is for all the arborists and foresters who are listening, who were trying to work out whether I screwed up massively, and sadly the answer is we're still not sure because it kind of shouldn't have done what it did. But basically I cut through it.
Speaker 5: Even need to explain it, like.
Speaker 3: I'm okay, trees, that's that's what thing, that's what wood's made from.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 3: This tree is now it was a big vertical tree, yeah, and now it's cut over and it's horizontal.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's about forty centimeters in diameter, so it's quite a big, chunky tree, okay. And I need to cut it just so to get the end on the ground because what I want is a nice clean stump and then I can rebuild my all the coppicst new shoots will grow from that because then I can cut up the bit on the ground later, because that can be done next month. But I need to get all of these down by the end of March.
Speaker 4: And she just had like a little bit left on it. How much are we talking?
Speaker 3: Oh? The bit I was cutting through was a whole tree's with because it's just that it was still attached at both ends, which is for anyone who cuts trees. That's foreshadowing. Anyway, I'm trying to make the story quicker. The tree had a hell of a lot of tension in it, which I cut for and expected to be there. What I didn't expect was this weird corkscrew tension thing that built up as it had fallen and twisted and moved and things, which meant there's a special cut you do to cut through windblow, which I did. But I got to the very last sort of centimeter of that cut, and I don't remember much until I was on the ground. What happened was the tree sort of kicked up and then out and then sideways and then down and kicked me about three meters off to the side by Imagine a really big tree shaped horse kicking you just in the shin, just below the kneecap. If you've ever walked into the towbar of a pickup truck, yeah, you know that feeling on your shin. Imagine that. But about seventy miles an hour.
Speaker 4: So that bent my knee back to coffee table in the dark.
Speaker 3: Oh it's still there. I've got a spray painters and else I'm merely one allowed to kill it. Now they're going to mount it on the wall. So the kind of sort of came to I don't think I lost consciousness, it was just sort of I don't remember the mid air bit, chainsaw still running on my leg, got that dealt with, call for help, and then it became a bit of a is that broken? Is it not broken? Is it broken? Is it not broken? And you know, when you're not moving your feet are you're thinking that's probably a good sign. I'm go okay there and start doing my own primary and secondary survey in my own first aid, and I think this is okay. I think I've just bruised and winded myself and got away with this. And then I go to stand up, and then there's the crunchy pain and the crunchy pain. Normally it's broken a bone. They know what the crunchy pain is.
Speaker 4: I've never broken a plone, but I can sort of I can picture it well, any kind of crunchy pain, I can picture it in my head and I don't like it.
Speaker 3: It's like an ache and a pain and you can feel the sharpness of different bits of both edges of bone hitting each other that shouldn't hit each other. So Amy got to be at this point, and we were actually first called non emergency number because I thought the NHS is craping whales. It'll take forever to get an ambulance and I'll die forget the hospital. So I want to find out which of the English hospitals has got the least que at the moment, because I'll drive an hour to get seen there. And I got through it all the way through the do you have a mental health emergency? Do you have this? Do you have that? Got through to it and they said your call will be answered in sixty seven minutes. What sad that? So then rang nine ninet nine and so straight away Amy gives the situation things as it's a forestry thing, but it's a crush injury sort of. It's a it's not a chainsaw injury. This is where we are, this is what the casualty is doing. Answered all their questions. They were fine on the phone. Did what three words for the gate to the woodland and what three words remained crap because I think it was like livingness or something was one of the words. It's not a real word, you know, technically it's in the dictionary, but it's not a word you'd ever say. You have to spell it out forty seven times. But did all that, and then they said, okay, and the ambulance will be three hours.
Speaker 1: Don't die.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well I can't. Yes, Well, I'm just gonna I've got to get to the edge of the wood anyway. So I started hobbling, and there's a couple of bits in this story which that hobble of about three hundred meters hopping on one leg holding a very big sort of ash pole as a walking stick, and Amy holding me on the other side. It's not the hopping that was a problem of it was that every time I hopped, my broken bone.
Speaker 1: Went separated so nice.
Speaker 3: And then clayed together. And that was you know, you've got your pain scale go zero to ten. That was about a ten point five every single step step. I don't know, you'd have to ask Amy, but there was a lot of grunting and noises and unpleasantness, you know, probably sudden she's quite familiar with anyway. The the.
Speaker 5: That's what she wrote in.
Speaker 2: That's Usual February the fourteen stuff that.
Speaker 3: I didn't scream that hopping out was, without exaggeration, the hardest thing I've ever physically done in my life. Wow, no contest, and I've done some stupid stuff. About halfway through that heard a very low helicopter approaching, which became very close, and I said to Amy, I really hope that's not for me, And it turns out yes it was. It was the brand new EC one four five Air Ambulance of the North Wales branch of welsh Are Ambulance, who just happened to be in the area, saw the job them in and thought they'd come and have a look. So they landed in the neighbor's field.
Speaker 4: Imagine just talking about the helicopter and just thinking, yeah, it's a bit like the poor patrol, you know, suddenly rubble rubbles, he's going to get a job on.
Speaker 5: It's it's like the uber gig economy, isn't it.
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I love that one.
Speaker 1: Did they pick you up in this helicopter then, Richard?
Speaker 3: No, So what they did was they sort of arrived and they had some students on board as well, so I think that's also so they were I was being train a training tool, but.
Speaker 5: A wild forester. They don't come out, but when they do well. They injured themselves did a very geeky.
Speaker 3: Thing when I when I arrived, because I was sort of like Amy had gone to meet them at the gate and they came ahead of her, so they arrived to meet me in the field on my own, and I'm sort of lying on my side, so I did my own handover sort of. It went into autopilot a little bit from something a long time ago, saying, Okay, so I'm a male forty two. I don't I've had a crush injury to my left lower lege.
Speaker 5: Brilliant.
Speaker 3: I don't have any allergies. I don't have any Yeah, yeah, and I think I got told to shut up. So the doctor saw me there. She was great assessed. She said, yeah, it could be broken, might just be a really massive bruise. You're not going to die immediately. But here have this big green whistle that says pen Throcks on the side of it. Now, Penthrocks is amazing. It's they used to give you sort of ketamine for big broken bones and stuff like that. But no, now they give you this stuff because it doesn't last very long. But it means every time you need to move, you just take a big hit on this little whistle vaporizer thing and you have no feeling for about thirty seconds.
Speaker 5: So it's really good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just my little burst of something for superhuman for sort thirty seconds only.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could just take take a hit on this. You're hovering in the corner of the ambulance thirty seconds and then you come back down. It's quite nice. They packaged me up and then a road ambulance turned up and they said, well you're here that you can take him, and then they flew away again.
Speaker 1: Nice to feel wanted.
Speaker 5: You didn't get a flight, You just got a sort of a drive by.
Speaker 3: We're muttering something about sort of load and weightissues and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well sorry, mate, we can't take you. We've got all these we've got all these students on board. Haven't got space for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, students survived on beans on toast, so they can get like four students to one predo.
Speaker 1: That's actually a measurement, you know.
Speaker 2: It's a bit like double degger buses and the size of whales and football pitches. There's four students to one prido. That's that's what it is. It's a proper measurement for the BBC US exactly that.
Speaker 3: So then it was just an into a any our local A and E has been well. The whole trust here has been in special measures since about twenty fifteen. They had a brief break in during COVID where they just turned off being in special measures, but now they're back into being in special measures, which means very limited budget for staff, although the executive seemed to get loads of money and no one else on the ground seems to get anything. And it is oh, it's a legendary shit show. When they talk about the problems of the NHS in Wales, we are the problems of the NHS in Wales in our little, very rural northern half. So went into there. Benefit of being seen by a doctor already is you don't have to go through triage, you get sent in for X rays. X rays were normal fun stuff. Although are sort of shouting through into the little cubicle bit saying can you tell me if it's broken, and they're saying, well, no, we can't tell you it's the consultant. But the paramedic who'd brought me in, whose ex Special Forces and been chatting along about stuff. He just looks at leans over looks at the screen, looks at me, laughs, and puts the thumb down. So I know then it was you know it's a bit broke for yeah, fuck mate. Yeah, And then went into slow weight to get a bed, and then got a bed just before midnight, I think. And then last thing the nurse said to me before she turned out the light was well, the consultant will see you in the morning and we'll see whether you'll save the leg. What.
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, your last words before you go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then well I also I'd had to cut my own trousers off at this point because she didn't know how to deal with chainsaw trousers. I don't think she's sort of seen them in Bangladesh. So I had to cut my own chainsaw trousers off in bed with a broken leg, which was fun. Went for a cat scan in the middle of the night. I vaguely remember that, and all sorts of things. Then the consultant, he said it was a very basically I've cocked myself up properly. The break itself is a Shatka type two, which means phibia. Yeah, so it's the it's the tibia, so it's the big bone and you lower your lower leg, not the little bone. And if you imagine sort of a standard bone shape like you get from a deer or something like that, you get that the top of it, the end of it, sort of a weird oval shape with a bit of incrustation on it, isn't it, And you get the double hoop thing. One a half of those has snapped off, which means if I put weight on it properly, my leg would have gone sideways like a twiglet. So just come out the yeah, and probably blown all all the other stuff with it. And that's what they were worried about, was because my leg had gone back was like a kangaroo as well, apparently, and they'd found sort of evidence of bone marrow in the joint and all the sorts of other bits. So info surgery on Sunday. It's been plated, it's been fill and lifted and all sorts, and that's just over a week ago now, and I can't put my I can't put weight on my foot again until the end of May, which is kind of one of those things to think, Okay, well, I just have crutches on a hobble, But it also means you can't walk around whilst holding something until the end of May, which when you think about, for our lives, how much time you spend, you know, holding a tool whilst working somewhere, or using a camera or using something like that. Yeah, if you're a practical person, there's a lot of stuff you do that's like that. So and then six months for mountains and heavy work on my leg and things like that. But it looks it went well. Surgery took twice as long as expected. And oh, the anesthetis was fantastic because she wasn't worried about operating on a forty two year old, incredibly large male.
Speaker 5: Get the elephant one, Get the big, big syringe. I love you.
Speaker 3: She came in and she was reassuringly middle aged and autistics, exactly what I want for somebody dealing with numbers of my health. And she said, you know, do you want general anesthetic or you can have an epidural when you'll beat you'd be awake, but it'd be under sedationous. General, I don't want to be in the room. General, there's a risk, okay, okay, And if you if we need to give you a suppository during the operation, do we have your consent, Darlin, I'm alive at the end of it.
Speaker 1: Trust you me, my dear. This is absolutely fine.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I mean, do I have to pay extra? Or is this something that's just part of the service.
Speaker 1: Something this is brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yes, But do you know isn't that fascinating the of yours? You know this is something because when you told me about this, it was something I did a quick look up on some of this stuff. Now, those of us who actually physically work hands on in forestry and farming make up a mere one percent of the British workforce, yet our work contributes to eighteen percent, eighteen one eight eighteen percent of all fatalities. And when you describe what's happened, you know this is just this wasn't something where you went this is a bit of a risky one, or you go and think I'll do that just you were aware of the risks. But this thing just bit you on the ass. And like I say, when you suddenly a given that thing we'll see if we can save the leg It shows you that that eighteen percent of all fatalities at work, which is a disparate portionately large number, are made up in agriculture and forestry. And what I'm I believe is that what you encountered with the challenges that you had there, all the problems of that the NHS faces, which no one ever talks about, that the NHS in rural areas is basically even worse than the NHS everywhere else because you know there are on average it's thirty percent.
Speaker 1: Longer response times.
Speaker 2: Is we will get it doesn't matter whether you're in deepest dark, darkest North Wales like you or in Suffolk. You're facing thirty percent as a minimum longer call out times.
Speaker 1: Yet you are facing.
Speaker 2: A far more likely thing of getting properly smashed up or eighteen percent of the time you're actually going to get killed because of the nature of what we're we're working in. So, I mean, unfortunately, what we've seen with Callum was just the malaise of what it's like having a two year old child and you think, oh my god, you never thought that any coin could kill. But what you've experienced, which is probably more app a site to Country Slide because it highlights the fact that rural areas are short changed. Because this is the funny thing. When I was looking up as where the challenges are. In the House of Lords report on NHS Failings in Rural Areas, it says that the current funding formula fails to account for and this is the quote, the unavoidable smallness of the population. So in other words, what they're go is that they just say, well, we need a hospital per x amount of people, and so therefore when you live, I don't know what the population my village here is four hundred and thirty five people. I think where you live, like you say, you look out your back door and you don't see any lights, so therefore you know you are remote and so therefore by the funding formula is that you don't warrant a hospital and the hospital you get, by the sound of it, is shit because it doesn't give it any money anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's it. It's like, you know, to take Callum's point about being able to almost ring around to find a hospital within East Anglia that we're willing to take on the challenge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we had Broomfield, which is less than forty minutes away.
Speaker 5: I think from from Harlowe.
Speaker 4: You had Cambridge, so you had you had several to and several to go at and and you had to they pull the resources and you get you get more. I'm not saying it's definitely wasn't perfect. There was a long old wait. This sort of thing should be dealt with quite quickly because it can cause irritation, it could have dislodged. There's it's immediately. It's not life threatening, but it should have been dealt with a lot more urgency.
Speaker 5: So it was far from perfect.
Speaker 4: And also for like the staff encouraged you to give proper feedback on your experience and don't hold back on it because they're fighting that could fight as well. So it's not perfect. But just like you say, the availability is there.
Speaker 3: And people alone can't make things happen like okay, So a bit of an example from my stay, because there's probably half a dozen little things I could pick up on bad it's not the point of the story, but something like I was in the same hospital gown that I put on myself after I cut myself out of my trousers on the Saturday night. I was still wearing that same gown when I checked out six days later, which I'd had surgery and had blood on from the surgery, and I was still in the same sheets. I'd got into that bed with muddy chainsaw trousers, so those sheets still had the mud from my getting into you know, getting into the bed straight after A and E all the way through to checking out. And that's just because the laundry just doesn't work at the moment, and they've got no other hospitals nearby to swap with, so you're just not getting clean laundry, which is real basic stuff.
Speaker 4: It's extends to rural school based on the population, and so you'll find that when you've got a rural rural school versus a well, they close half the rural schools, don't they if.
Speaker 3: You amalgamate them into one and you put.
Speaker 4: Me the amount of you know, if it gets to like there's only ten students in a class, it's like cut that right, You're going to now go to one single place somewhere else. And yeah, this, I think this is the rural urban difference is amplified across.
Speaker 2: Well if you look at it, I mean, one of the few things that I remember from the army myself and ase, but also hearing about the learnings they got from the great unpleasantnesses in Iraq and Afghanistan was the understanding for the immediacy of correct care and pain relief after severe trauma. And when you look at the sheer scale of numbers that people who are working in agriculture and forestry get, it does slightly show that they the hospitals, these new mega hospital that they have. Is that say We're going to put all our eggs in one wonderful basket and it will be all super because we've got all these experts, et cetera.
Speaker 1: All under one roof.
Speaker 2: Is it that is not following those principles because we're more likely to get smashed up and hurt.
Speaker 1: Let me just think that the tools of our.
Speaker 2: Trade are quite frequently the things that you see in horror slasher films being used as weapons.
Speaker 1: Yet they're actually the tools that we use.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm using what a bill hook, a chainsaw, and thaw's hammer, So you know that's nearly every single film that you could possibly see that's got a mass murder in it. I'm using those tools in my day job and it is just a matter of time.
Speaker 1: Then you're going to get that book.
Speaker 2: Because in Suffolk you've got two hospitals, You've got Ipswich or you've got West Suffolk over embarrassent Edmunds.
Speaker 1: Ipswich is not a very good.
Speaker 2: Hostel because it's over pressed by the sheer scale of individuals who live because our county is just basically Ipswich is the one large conurbation and that's it. And West Suffolk it's quite a nice hospital. You get well looked after, then you get seen quite quickly. So I can't really honestly say hands on, BUTOK, what they have done is that all the smaller cottage hospitals, like we had one in Eye which was here, you had one in Halesworth, you had one in Southwold. You had all these little cottage hospitals where you could have got those individuals into very quickly. You could have got the immediacy of the trauma stabilized, that leg of yours would have been sorted, you'd have done all the things that were needed, and then you trianged that patient off to where the expertise was done. That's all been taken away. So I think one of the learnings we got of the immediacy of care that you need, and there is a greater need for that immediacy of care because we are statistically much more likely to get severely hurt and injured at work, far more so than any other trade in the country. That you think, well, it's not working our OWNHS system for this, because it's not providing the care that we need for the majority of stuff where you're going to end up actually dead. And it is it is, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We pay the price for a rural life, don't we.
Speaker 6: An interesting an interesting observation of that is that the people, the family units that I see in rural places often mean that the man is the breadwinner, the provider.
Speaker 4: They usually are everything to the family. And if that person you know, slips with a chainsaw, that's that's wife, that's kids, that's the family farm, that's a lot that goes you know, that goes to key with. Whereas, like i'd say, a much larger proportion of the urban I mean, I know quite a few people that they're other halves because we're in towns and cities and commuting into London. Their other halves have got fancy jobs in the city and often they earn more than them. But when you're when your economy isn't necessarily it is practical things where you're out, you know, doing hard.
Speaker 3: Job, present on sites at that time to do the.
Speaker 4: Thing now usually yeah, usually it's the man that has the is the breadwinner because it's not it's not necessarily knowledge work, so that it doesn't become a fair level pegging between female gender roles usually, So.
Speaker 5: I think huge risk for.
Speaker 4: Rural families to have terrible health care and to take such risks.
Speaker 5: But that's the reality.
Speaker 3: There's an aging population level to that as well, which is a thing for rural areas where increasingly it is the place you come to retire. You move out of the towns, out of the suburbs. You don't need to be next to a place of work, so you can buy probably the more expensive property out in the country, or you steered the end of your career so that you would retire in a nice house in the countryside, which is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that we have an aging population generally. That's that's calling on the NHS and in my particular case, in the whole orthopedic ward, I was the youngest person there by a margin of twenty years. Yeah. Everyone else over there was over sixty.
Speaker 1: They'd all had a full.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or d replacements or just hips, or they were waiting for the care home to take them back or something like that. And it was you've got this in the economically inactive aging population, which the local services have to gear up towards. Meanwhile, the economy that runs it is based on a functional lower age bracket which is finding it increasingly hard to do anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's absolutely true, I think to your point, callum, I think, well, it's an interesting thing is that I think that you'll find most farms, and my own business is a good example of that, is that my wife and I rely upon one another wholeheartedly to make my business work. I'm out there doing the hedging, but she does all the paperwork, She does all of the the marketing, pr comms, everything along that front. All the work comes in because of the work she does. Are pushing it out there. I go out and do it. And I think that that is a lot of the time. On the farms, you'll find so often is that the farmer's out farming, but his wife is the farm secretary, the person who's doing all the paperwork for dephrah, the person who's doing those.
Speaker 1: Jobs more locally in the yard.
Speaker 2: If they've got mixed farming practices, then you might find husbands out working away from the yard. The cattle getting fed in the yard are done by a wife. I mean, it's something which sounds to probably some urban ears, this disgusting.
Speaker 5: Sort of paper bierarchy.
Speaker 2: But it's the reality, you know, It's just how shit happens. Because let's be perfectly honest, in an arm wrestle between me and Claire, I'm going to win. That's the long and the short of it, because I've got more muscle and a lot of our work relies upon on nothing more than a bit of time, serve knowledge and that. So, yes, you're quite right, it's one of those links. We are knackered.
Speaker 5: This is the point you said you lose.
Speaker 4: One of those links being being the farm secretary very unlikely to get gored by metal machinery because you're the.
Speaker 2: Sight in the yard and then gets knocked over by the tractor. That's that's the where you're going out. The beef.
Speaker 3: Or the shared children you have between you, they're the ones that get run over, or.
Speaker 4: All the episodes of Casualty you've ever watched, and what the what was it reversing into the.
Speaker 5: Gas calor gas you.
Speaker 2: That work, that work, anything, basically, any single thing we do as a job is like the opening credits of Casualty. And here we have Richard.
Speaker 5: I've seen you at work.
Speaker 4: I do know the day juggling.
Speaker 1: Why are you juggling those chainsaws? Because we're bored, That's why?
Speaker 5: Do you remember the day? I said?
Speaker 4: Pictures of Xavier with a chainsaw helbit and a chainsaw in his hands to CALLI and also looking down down a scope of.
Speaker 5: Twice the size of him. Yeah, we're just out here having fun, just a big boy's day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, educational.
Speaker 2: I think Charlie was about ten and Claire said, I'll go to work with daddy. And I said, well, I suppose he's old enough now he can pull some brash about the place and stack it up for me behind.
Speaker 1: So I did exactly that thing as well.
Speaker 2: I took a photograph of in my little tiny echo chainsaw and I didn't put chainsaw helmet on him, but.
Speaker 1: I did have that. I said, touch how you hold is how a log click? Took a photograph.
Speaker 2: So Charlie's working hard, and of course Claire did not see that there wasn't sort of a worrying chain and a load of dust coming.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was. I've never seen a response to what.
Speaker 2: If the NHS was as fast?
Speaker 5: It's just got three dots typing.
Speaker 7: You're doing you incompetent for so anyway, So we are in a situation where, you know, us good tax paying folks have finally taken.
Speaker 2: The drawer out of it, and there's poor Richard laid up like a like, I say, a character from a carry on film and the fare's callum with some more loose change a machine for a child, his.
Speaker 3: Child into a money box.
Speaker 1: Excellent. But I think we have highlighted a proper rural challenge, haven't.
Speaker 4: We will count that as income, probably we'll have to put.
Speaker 3: We have the proof of earnings? Where did that come from? That penny?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Yes? How did you get this?
Speaker 3: So although while while it was still in there, it was unrealized, games, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: And we're just into the new tax year because it's the seventh technically ship technically she took a one pence piece from one tax year to the next tax.
Speaker 1: Is that tax avoidance or evasion? I don't know which. I'd say it's evasion. Yeah, anyway, there we go.
Speaker 2: Look, look, we have been told by Amy that we've got to be slick and tight today, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, well, I've got one thing I'd like to just finish off on, which is thank you to everyone I've you know, who interacted with me on the ground as it were. But I want to say thank you in particular to Amy and my mother who's had to come over here as well, because basically I'm bedridden and you know, without going into all the mechanics of that, I can barely leave this room at the moment, so every other need of mine has to have to be taken care of. And I think I've been insufferable, but it is. My first job was working in a care home, my very very first proper paid paye job working in a care home for wealthy Jewish ex Londoners in Cornwall. So I know what it's like to be a care I know what it's like on the other end of that. So I know that this is not easy for them, and I want to say thank you to them and highlight their efforts for looking after me and not killing me in my sleep.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: I'd like to say sorry to Amy and Richard's mum for buying that bloody bell, but I thought it would be funny so that he every time he needs his ass wiping, they know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this is this is it, this is the stuff. But there will be people up now in the country listening to this who either have been in the situation, are are going to be in the situation, their partner, their parents have been in the situation. So you know, it's it was a bit flippant, but we know what it's like. After show.
Speaker 1: Yes, bye everyone, After show
Speaker 3: Bye.