Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome back to That's No mat Alone. Welcome back to the album club pack. We are in the very end of April twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: We are back with another one of these things. You know what we're here to do.
Speaker 1: We come to this place to revel in some sensational sometimes not sensational. But you know, with the ones we've got today, they're all pretty good, aren't they. Albums from rock and metal history. We're going to give you the deep dive with your infuse or all over these bad boys. And I think that's a nothing trouble need. Really, let's get into it. If we have album clubs from Negadiess, Rusting Piece, Killing Jokes two thousand and three, self titled Sunday, Real Estate's Diary, and Gore Guts, Colored Sands. If you don't know some of those albums and what they sound like, we're gonna tell you. But we are gonna start with an album that I think you probably do.
Speaker 2: Know what it sounds like.
Speaker 1: It's Megadeth rust in Peace. I could never quite figure out in the end trawling through the T and M archives if Rest in Peace actually has ever been done as an album club or not. But it certainly hasn't in the modern incarnation of this show. And when Elliott said, hang on, have we not done Rest in Peace? Yeah, I could have countered back saying that it would be funnier to do super Collider instead, or it would be more of a dark horse pick to do like so far, so good, so what, or even like euthanasia or something or whatever. But now we've been handed here an opportunity to talk about Rust in Peace is one of those like if someone and you know, places magazines frequently do put together like the top ten essential metal albums of all time, like Filtering Away your personal biases or the ones that you like, whatever, just those definitive Master of Puppets, Paranoid, Raining Blood, whatever eighties made an album would go in there. Of all of those bands, Megadeth are the one that do sometimes come with some sentience of like near Megadeth from some areas. So it is worth emphasizing as we go into this album club, this is categorically in that selection and practically immovable from that mountain for thirty five years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's not normally you've got I'm a Megadeth, I'm a bit of a Megadeth hater, you're not gonna get back today. Like when when hearing Annalysis, I was gonna look like Megadeth and I was like, yeah, no, it's rest in Peace in it, Like I can't pretend to hate this record like Sight Spoilers, But as Parents says, this is one of those just tightened albums of metal that you kind of just can't you got hands like, yeah, Megadeth, we're fucking on it for this one, and delivered a front to back you could call a masterp, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I think that's that's the reason I was so baffled that it maybe hasn't been done on the show because there's been hundreds of album clubs at this point, and there are so many lms we haven't done it. It's crazy, it's insane, And like, I'm sure there are some alms that have solved more than this that maybe you know, you know you're gonna find in more recor collections than Rust and Peace. But there are a few albums in metal ever that are more acclaimed and more influential and more important. And I really think if you're if you're talking about those, you're e that sort of rolling Stone Tops and Metal Albms Echelon. Yeah, it's like Master of Puppets maybe comes up more often. Number of the Beast Paranoid. This could be like the fourth in that run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it never gets number one, it won't get top three in those places, but this will perpetually be like the SIT for seven's best metal album of all time, sat.
Speaker 4: Like This and Raining Blow, aren't you Like?
Speaker 3: They're the kind of like after you get past like Paranoid, Number of the Beast, you want to put them as the top three in that sort of next rung down of like still a top ten album.
Speaker 1: It's in the eleven out of tens, you know, and it's one of those album clubs where you know, like a Master of Puppets like a Rain and Blood. I have heard this album so many times in its entirety from my very early days of being a metal head. It is complete second nature. It is in my and I'm sure many others. DNA writing notes on it was a matter of keeping up to type as fast as the riffs are moving, But I know how every one of these songs goes every beat instinctively.
Speaker 2: The last time that we.
Speaker 1: Spoke about a Megadeth album was a couple of years ago when we had James from hellripper on and he chose Pece Cells. But who's buying? And that is practically peak thrash metal, you know, the spirit of nineteen eighty six at its most alive and vibrant, and sam we were going like, yeah, you know, megadetha have their pros and cons, but fucking hell, and now we are moving onto an album that scales honestly miraculous heights. Like if Megadeth in the eighties, those first three albums with PCE Cells generally seen as like the peak of those if that was what megadeth legacy was built on, that would be legendary. There are maybe like two three thrash metal bands in history with highs as high as those, but that they somehow built from that into this and that eighties material that is so wild and fast and state of the art at the time almost seems low tech and like incredibly rough around the edges neck to this fucking like star destroyer of an album is one of metal's great achievements.
Speaker 4: I think that's been going back to.
Speaker 3: This is kind of like because like Peace Cells, Like again, that's another Megadith album. I do quite like even as a MegaDEF hater, because you know, Peace cells good album, but that's a sort of a rougher like spikier album.
Speaker 4: This is blockbuster.
Speaker 3: This is like big budget cinematic just kind of like the biggest scale heavy metal possible, like or frash Malt where you want to sort of like that bit and it is doing that, and just it just sounds bigger and more high tech and more and like and in a way it's sometimes with their eyes would say that the more kind of like glossier high tech like album is the more exciting one. But then there's sort of the rougher sort of like frashy one. But haven't they just there is something about piece, about a rusting piece where that like scope and that kind of like space age, like I say, star destroy nature of it. It just kind of like gets like your hair's on end. Like there's like something just like really cool.
Speaker 2: And if you're listening to the arms in order for the first time, there's no reason to expect this would come because the one that comes before it is so far so good. So what that's divisive among Mega Death fans for kind of being a bit rough around the edges, particularly even by the standard of the eighties records, kind of treblly messy, like you could tell the whole band run speed. It's kind of unfocused. I love it like I love all the all of the first three or obviously the first the first run of Megata Fums, I think are basically all perfect in their own way. But Rusting Peace is like a genius IQ move from. It's almost like an idiot savant moment for this band, where like you just think they're insane and then you sit down and play chess with them and they wipe the floor with you. It just it comes out of nowhere in their discography.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I get thinking about where to start with this as an album club. I guess I'm drawn to the date a little bit. And I do think about this sometimes with Rest in Peace and Megaeth in general, because they almost seemed like there are a couple of years behind the rest of the Big Four, not in terms of like radicalness or ability or anything obviously, but just time frame, because I guess obviously mustayd have been kicked out of Metallica and then he had to like race to get his band into gear. So their debut is eighty five, when most bands are on album two, second album is eighty six, when the restaurant around album three, et cetera. And so they are the one of the big four who's their most like widely held definitive album doesn't come out in the eighties. It's nineteen ninety, and they're like widely held classic lineup which assembles here for the first time is not the eighties line of Megadeth that exists. It's the nineties one and nineteen ninety is a crazy year. I mean, we spoke about this when I guess the last time we did one of these like thrash giant albums on Album Club was Scenes in the Abyss a couple of years ago, and we spoke about how an album like that it's kind of both the album that sets Slayer up for the nineties, but also the one that like marks the end and the cap on their kind of most classic thrash period nineteen ninety as a whole. If you look at the records that came out that year, it's almost like that for all of the you know, the blockbuster kind of headline bands in metal at that time. In one year, there's Rust in Peace, Seasons in the Abyss, Painkiller, and Cowboys from Hell. You can throw in Persists of Time from Anthrax as well, which is like their final like classic Joey Belladonna album. They're all sort of that, you know, they're the end of the eighties and you know, so called like classic heavy metals kind of ear of dominance, but also the dawn of the nineties and Elliott, You're quite right, I think, you know, for Megadeth, this is the last gasp of maybe their most undiluted form before the Black Album basically, because after this you get Countdown to Extinction, which is, you know, another classic Megadeth album, certainly, but you can see they are, you know, they're reacting to the direction of the genre around them. And then all the other albums you know, come after that one, and it's it's kind of crazy to think that this lineup here is so celebrated because you know, Davestayne and Dave Ellison joined by Marty Freeman and Nick Menza. Here they only make one album that's like this, that's the lineup that makes Countdown to Extinction and Euthanasia and then Cryptic Writings.
Speaker 2: They only make.
Speaker 1: One Ultra tech thrash album in the vein of rest in peace with that lineup, and I guess it speaks volumes that we remember that as the classic lineup because they only do this once. But it is the ultra tech thrash album. It's like, undeniably the greatest you know, tech thrash album, if you want to call that a genre that there's been. I mean maybe if you count like and Justice for All, there's at least an argument, not even a definitive win, but an argument. But this the strand of thrash that megan really like spur into rapid evolution just through making these albums or that like hyper speed, hyper technical, hyper progressive that we're ever actually you know, never actually feeling like progue just because it is so coked up and aggressive.
Speaker 2: This album.
Speaker 1: When I put it on next to all of the other thrash albums of this era, it's the one that just sounds like the future. Like of all of those great thrash albums of its golden period, this is the one where you go, I actually can't quite believe that this comes out in nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it is, like I say, it's a definitive statement on that kind of that like techie thrash or metal way. It does feel like, well, I'm throwing away what meganef we're doing in the eighties. It feels like it's pushing fresh into kind of like a new direction. Is kind of like we can explore new sounds, we can play more precisely, more like progressively, but still have that shot in.
Speaker 4: The arm kind of like frill ride excitement.
Speaker 3: And it just does that in a way that feels bigger and more advanced than anything that's come before it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and if we are going to compare it to something like and Justice for All, which obviously does have some huge songs on it, and songs that translate to an arena and have stayed in the Metallica live set, the fact that they went and did the blackolm maarth is kind of no surprise because those songs are so I mean, I think it's my second favorite Metallica record, But that's that's an almful of songs. You get lost in the mad thing about Rust in Peace is it does that, but it also features many of their most popular songs that have sayed and set to this down and I think that's kind of the genius of it and why it's endured and why it still sounds, if not contemporary, it doesn't sound dated in the way that other albums from that time because they're not just playing with these ideas and saying or how far can we take this? They also happen to be writing some of their best songs. And I think you said about this being the classic lineup. I don't think it's just incidental, like they happen to be in the right place at the right time. It's because the lineup brings it on this record more than probably any other Mega Death record. I'm a big Mega Death fan, but I get confused who plays on what records? Sometimes there's no question on this one because they're in some cases like the first people you think of, aren't Dave Mustain on this one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I would argue that Megadeth have two different classic lineups, and the first one is the you know the guy Samason Chris Polan lineup, when the next one is is this one. And then just to draw the and justice real comparison to an end, I think just for all I would say it is almost kind of prog that is like a progressive thrash record, whereas Rest in Peace isn't really prog in the same way. It's just hyper technical and hyper complicated, you know, just a nitpick between kind of what terms we're using. But it's a you know, it always a nerdy thing to jump to you first, but this is an engineering achievement in heavy metal for the time. Like I actually don't think I'd ever looked at this before, but it's done by Mike Clink, who at the same time was doing all the guns and Roses stuff, like he did Appetite and then Use Your Illusion, and this album is one of those that just needs to sound like a fucking spaceship, you know, or like a you know, a nuclear reactor or something, because that eighties negative stuff has that like street personality, like they're gonna pull a switchblade on you at any moment. And uh, you know you were talking about so far, so good, so what which You're quite right.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Historically, when you see listicles of like ranked Meganeth albums and they've got that like eighth or something, it's an immediate disregard you don't know what you're talking about. But the mainstream narrative is that it's kind of a sloppier album, and it is, you know, it is harsh, and it is kind of like drunken and it's not the easiest on the ears for a general metal audience. But again, rather than like a Metallica who kind of climb up and up and up until they naturally arrive at like an and Justice for All, Meganeth kind of go up and down and just kind of all over the place. But this is so ahead of the curve sonically that in comparison to even anything they've done prior to this, it's kind of like undeniable in comparison.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think for me the sort of the testament of how good this album sounds. It does sound incredible, and so Dave must do on fucking vocals.
Speaker 1: Like who this is getting way ahead ourselves, But he fucking kills it.
Speaker 3: On this album. This is this is his best performance. But it's still I wouldn't go that far. He is like, but that's the thing is this album it does sound fucking incredible. You have to still take on board it's Dave mustname, but you're right, it is his most compelling performance and it does actually suit the songs and the overall sound of the album, which is kind of like.
Speaker 4: Well, this is again I have to kind of Progredia like it works on this one.
Speaker 3: I don't like Dave Mustay will always be my kind of like barrier on ever truly love meganeff even at like ignoring must say the person as a vocalist. I just I can find him very grating a lot of the time. None of that on this album, even if he's still doing the thing he does. And again I don't know if that is you know, the production, just the quality of the songs where his vocals just seem to lock in with the guitars and all that, but it all just comes together to just all of it sound excellent and there is not a weak link on this record.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: It's one of those complications in the mix that when I was a kid and I bought this on CD, it was the two thousand and four remaster, which was like widely available everywhere at the time, and it took me years actually to learn from like older head Megadeth fans, that's not actually the proper version of the album, because that's where Dave was like fiddling around doing new vocal takes and like you know, new drum sounds and stuff like that, but it was the one that I knew for like several years, so I had to like slowly wean myself off the two thousand and four version. I just say this because I notice on streams like the highest streaming songs of the two thousand and four versions, So I think most people actually haven't heard the original mix of the album. But anyway, that's the one that I do listen to now. And you know, that nineteen ninety original mix, still without the kind of tweaking, is just like galactic to compareison to most things at the time, and it goes in line with basically a real like meticulousness on it when it comes to writing and playing where you know again, that Gar Samuelson Chris Poland line up is just some of the most careening out of the realms of sanity playing in thrash metal at the time. And then when you get to you know so far so could so what and it's like a punk record. It is gloriously kind of imperfect, which not rust in Peace. Rust in Peace does not have a note out of place somehow, and this lineup with you know, Nick Menza, who I don't think it's quite as like fucking crazy what's he doing as like Gar Samuelson, But he perfectly manages to like place these drum hooks all over the record, like the Holy Wars fill or whatever, like on top of these crazy rhythms and patterns that he's doing. And then Marty Friedman, who, as we'll talk about, you know, basically with this one record if he ended here, cements himself as like one of the greatest metal le guitaris. Simple time Rust in Peace is where those you know, musical acrobatics combined with just the writing kind of you know, second to second note to note perfect songs somehow, but then sound light years ahead of the competition, just all solidifies into just one of the greatest records ever made. I guess, you know, we start with some heavy hitters, because this album has gloriously it has one of the most mental side a's on any record, and then arguably still has its best song Waiting in the Wings on side B. But Holy Wars into Hanger eighteen to start off with. It's that's basically like one big eleven to two minute flex, isn't it? The start of this record, like absolutely no one is matching that for the realm in which this is operating, no one has.
Speaker 3: I just listen to the opening riff on Holy Wars, like again, go back to some words and sampling quite one, and I was like, I'm gonna be like difficult, and I had I kept playing.
Speaker 4: Like fuck it, you win this round.
Speaker 2: Sometimes haters have to be proved wrong.
Speaker 4: I like, I've always liked this album because again, as I said.
Speaker 3: You have something I want to be a bit difficult sometimes, but you just you hit play on Holy Wars and it's that hinged approach to songwriting and the way these like riffs collide together, like but it's just like say a tech fresh masterclass, and there's nothing formulaic about it, Like there's nothing that feels like playing it safe and trying to write a hit. But it's fucking catchy and interesting and it is, like I say, I pushing fash into new exciting territory.
Speaker 2: This song. I don't know how many times I've heard it. I mean, I know this album like my own face, like it's it's basically tattooed on the inside of my ears. I don't know how many times I've heard Holy Wars. It's kind of hard to overstate what an unbelievable feat of metal songwriting is. The number of incredible riffs and moments you get before Dave even starts singing yeah, like and it's you're not waiting that long, but you I mean you're you're probably reading them off in your head as you're listening to this. It's just sick moment after sick mind and some of the only last like two or three seconds before disappearing. And when it locks into that Dad at that exact second before you started singing it mate, it is. It's it's again like all that's what you're say about the early records feeling careering and out of control. This is like atomically perfect, Like you couldn't move it at a plank length whatever, the smallest distances in any direction to improve it. And I'm still only thinking of the intro. I'm still thinking before like the singer comes in with all those hooks as well, and then the song completely changes direction again it and it's not like you say, I don't think it's the best song on the record, maybe even the second best song on the record. It's wild like as a way to like as as a micro drop as the record starts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just a miracle riff to start off with, just like you know, one of those refs I'll never ever get tired of hearing just tech speed metal at its apex, the skip on the drums underpinning it. It's like, there's so much fun, you know, it's like one of the most fun sounds has ever been on a metal record, I think. And it is a six minute multisection prog metal epic that you can sing every word to, you know, brother Will Gil Brother, It's building blood across the land. It's like one of the definitive opening lines to a metal song, next to generals gathering their masses, just like which is that black masses? And the mid section is such a one of you have to just stop and consider what an eccentric move that is for a song to make. And it's it's almost like it's quite trite in a way.
Speaker 2: You to just have like.
Speaker 1: Middle Eastern guitars and the chimes and stuff like, oh, we're changing scenery. But it works so evocatively and it doesn't draw things to a halt or tool despite the fact that it literally does stop dead like it somehow just builds the mood and the journey even more so the lead guitars all through it. That kind of solo in the midsection are almost like a just a warning shot of what's going to come over the whole rest of the record. And then when you're saying all the little rifts, maybe I don't even know what you'd call this exact trick, you know, the rift transition where the song returns from the slow section into the fast bit, but it has to build back into the fast bit from the stop star.
Speaker 3: Like the little chugs in my notes was like, because I love that middle pace where it's like GENI quite menacing and kind of like weird and something together. But because it's slows on so much, it makes that little build up into.
Speaker 2: The far your ears.
Speaker 3: Just that much more kind of exhilarating. And that was what I was just going, was like, I'm in for the ride again. Like when that fast when the song sort of dues back in off the slow bit, it is perfect. And I'm like, imagine not liking fresh metal metal of any kind of get moments like that that're just gonna go like, ah man, this is what like it's all about, isn't.
Speaker 2: It When it does slow down, it's that riff. I feel like there's gonna be a lot of a cappella in this review and so far. But like the way it goes on like Dan and Dan Dan aad Dead did and then and then opening that up with and then and then that is black album level mid temper riffing. And it's not even the thing that comes to mind when you think of this song, like it's the kind of it's it's the it's the middle act that the two fast mental eccentric bits sit on it either side of. And it's an incredible song in and of itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and the way that that ramp up from that kind of violent stop start section that I was just talking about ushers in the last verse, Like this song, it starts the way it does, and it gains intensity when you're into the latter part of it, because when you are hitting that, you know, next thing, you know, they'll take my thoughts away. Mercy killings, Like the song just seems to just like peak and peak over and over again. It's erupted into this like total manic violence, and right at that moment at the end where it almost like has this like orgasmic fury fucking Hangar eighteen. What the fuck does that just drive forcing itself like violently up the threat board, building with every single chord, Like I mean, there's a reason, Like both times i've seen Megadeth several years apart, they've opened with that song. It's not even the opener on the record, but it's the perfect set opener because the impact of it. But it's even more crazy when you look at Hanger eighteen because what we were just saying about Holy Wars Hangar eighteen is one of the most mentally structured kind of major canonical metal songs because Holy Wars is, you know, perfect example. We've got fast beginning, slow middle section, return to fast end section. Hangary teen is a verse chorus banger for the first half of it, like it's a hit for them, and then the second half just becomes a war of a thousand guitar solos and it never returns to that versaile chorus. It's done that. It's like you've had your chorus. Now we're going to do two to three minutes of just like you know, telling the story musically through the most head spinning duel of guitars to everyde it was like, just the fucker last chorus, We're just going to dessaorient you instead.
Speaker 3: I mean, this to me might be like the definitive Megadeth song in terms of just like when I think of what Megadeth something, this is what those going to be. Like, well, because you've got that opening sort of guitar melody which is like just insanely catchy, like just one of those like again just ten out of ten guitar lines. Dave even kind of like sinks out of it with tuneless croak to just deliver it again in a properly catchy way, and it's like and then you're it just goes into this like insane like bombardment of like rifts and shadows and like it's like five minute song and it just flies by in seconds because it's constantly firing something new at you and you never can kind of like settle down to but you don't kind of remember like how catch the first players were just like fucking how that solo is like who came up with that? And again, like the structure of it is weird and it shouldn't feel like it's kind of like one of the you know, the big like fist pumping negative bangers because of, like you said, that weird structure, but because every part of it is just delivered with like such a lot sort of like ten out of ten like ferocity and kind of conviction, it all like locks into place perfectly.
Speaker 2: I just got again, going back to that first section, something that had never occurred to me before is that that opening bit is three ascending rifts that are all different like and they're just in sequence, which I don't know. I can't think of many songs, if any songs that do the same thing, where all the rifts just go up and up and up, yeah, and build and build and build, and then when it gets to the verse chorus, thing that tension still isn't released, and then the release of it is completely changing the song to the point where I mean, the first I heard I really thought there was something wrong with my CD. And now I can't imagine Hangary teen not transitioning into that second half.
Speaker 1: In a bit like what those videos where it's like, you know, it changes key and then it never stops changing, you know, keep going up. But they do, and they worked it and they've turned it into one of their hits.
Speaker 2: But when it does, when you get that again, you're sort of Middle East and flare lead guitar that transitions into the next part. It just puts every time, like again, how many times I've heard this song? I don't even know, Like the smile just spreads on my face against my will because it's just like you know that the next two minutes it's going to be like one of the best guitar duels ever and underpinned by an almighty riff that again like the guitars a dazzled. The leads are dazzling enough, but the fuck is that you know how well you're just gonna throw that in the back half of this song and then solo over it. That's not the main riff? How how did you have such a bank of sick riffs that this is almost an after thought? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then there's Taken Prisoners, which is a fully fucking song that opening canon Like that song makes the previous two songs seem like they weren't hard.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Like it just comes in and the opening cannon aide is so tight of that just and it's it stretches it to a kind of breaking point over the first like thirty forty seconds, so when it does break, it's just like go time, just the most just thrash metal circle pit. I think I remember when I first was getting into Megadeth. I think I heard like, you know, Holy Wars and Hangar eighteen and Tornado Souls and stuff, but maybe not the whole record. And I watched this live show on YouTube and when they hit Taken Their Prisoners, just thinking like, WHOA, what the hell is that, because when you're thirteen, you've maybe not del fully into that death metal yet. And they've got the guys on the backing vocals either side go and infiltrate them to them like a death squad. It's basically like the hardest, scariest thing.
Speaker 3: I kind of forget how good like punk Megadeth me because this is one This is again where this is like say lean and mean three minute like fore and a half minutes of just like punchy, like tight in your face Megadeth like and again that like you said that the sort the back of I was like, that is like that kind of hardcore gang vocal sort of thing, but just through the kind of the fresh attack of Megadeth, and like the bass feels on this song like when like they they're finding them out and again again That's why I said that that punk and when I think like punk, those kind of crazy bass bits, you get them on this and it is just like, say, it's still got that sort of dexterous sort of ferocity and like super tight plan.
Speaker 4: There's nothing sloppy about this, but it is just like say, it is mean.
Speaker 3: It is a bruiser of a track, and I think it might be like outside of Hanging eighty, maybe my favorite song on the record, Like it's so just like punch in tire and fucking go so hard.
Speaker 2: I think, and I guess what good reason. But Megadeth has sort of seen as the least punk, certainly of the Big four, the least association with it because the first thing you think of is the shredding and nowadays is like the toy with five figure death punch. However, it's it's that they're not tied to that sort of culture whatsoever. But Take No Prisoners, Take No Ship as a gang vocal towards the end is if I just I would love to see like nineteen ninety one Megadeth outbreak doing a bit like that and this song is so it sounds mad saying because especially after the first two, this one is like even more propulsive, Like it almost sounds like the the riff is rushing itself. Do you know what I mean? It's like that there's a platonic idea of what it should sound like. Maybe that doesn't exist because the version that we have is going too fast.
Speaker 1: It just sounds like it's it's maddening. The second verse they find more notes to put in the riff it was just to begin with. And then the second time around, after the elephant bass surlo, it's like, like what, it's even more frantic than it was at the beginning. And so many of the songs end crazily right, like those fine like paranoid whales of Holy Wars, the solo wars of Hangar eighteen mustain wailing like a murderous, unhinged sergeant take no prisoners, and you know, the everything about the music, including the lead guitars is going absolutely off the deep end, you know, shouting batch and that take no shit, the JFK flip right that the total like nihilism, cynicism, Fuck you, I'll get my kind of poisoned heart of America that he delivers with don't ask what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you. You know, Megadeth like obviously they're generally seen as like, you know, the kind of political one of the Big Four, and you know, sometimes more recently that has been to their detriment, but you know, the kind of branding for want of a better word, like when you see Vic Rattlehead on an album cover, surrounded by a bunch of men in suits, I'm rubbing my hands together, you know, like you know, he's in front of a destroyed un building like on PCE Cells. It's kind of like a happy place. It's just quintessential geopolitical thrash imagery. And this album, you know, really congeals a lot of that into its most kind of elemental, just sent mad with paranoia that kind of like transcends the individual moment in which it was made politically, you know, because you look down at and you're right. We've got a song about religious warfare in the Middle East, Czech we've got a song about kind of military government conspiracies, and Hangar eighteen Cooled Check They're always around a song about kind of the threat of nuclear holocaust and of global warming and environmental collapse, you know, check, and then you got a song about fucking alchemy and wizards because sure, why not? Like you know, this is the stuff that Dave Mustaane was built to embody, and it is. It's easy to go Dave Mustaye he can't sing. Megadeth would be good if it weren't for his voice or whatever. This is an absolutely dominating vocal performance on Rest in Peace, right, And don't get it twisted. It's not a Ronnie James Dio vocal dominated performance. That's not what I'm fucking saying. But when he did still have range and he could go into the highs, which is the thing that he can't, like, he just can't tap into that register these days, it's gone. But when he could do that, and he could do that, one of the most magnetic front men in metal of this age, I think, because on top of that, like twhirlwind of riffs and patterns and stuff, he sounds like a wailing siren on this record, and his ability to sound totally like manic, unhinged, but while also you know, crafting vocal lines and patterns that like, you know, objectively right, these have endured for decades. These songs are not good in spite of Dave Mustain. They're often good because of Dave Mustain and the vicious charisma that he puts into every line. There are so many pockets whereas the music is like turning and changing direction, he puts the boot in on a line and seals it. You know, fucking don't look now to it or you know, take their prisoners when the song is just whirling out of control, and he.
Speaker 2: Does like a playground five haven for those who walked and soul. He comes in on this record like he has been plugged into a wall socket for the previous half an hour. Like it is delirious the energy he puts in on it. I we've talked before about like bands like Death Tones or the Smiths, whatever, where it's bands where you might love them, be I don't like when bands cover them. Megadeath are one of the bands that's most true of And it's exactly that thing you mentioned. Dave Mustaine's wild, paranoid like magnetic nature just isn't captured by even vocalists who would get further in American idol. Do you know what I mean? Like ones who can hit all the notes and have the five octave ranges or whatever. It doesn't capture those notes and the bits that spring to mind on this record. And I don't want to jump too far because I'm sure we'll get to these songs, but the sort of bridge in tornadoes as say, what's on mad Man? Yeah, it's like you could have got like Jeff Take to do that, it wouldn't be nearly as good like and he is again doing the finger think a better singer. Maybe my favorite bit, one of my favorites on the whole record is the I spread disease like a dog line or rusting peace bad load again, like you give that to anyone else, And I'm not even saying someone like Ronnie James Deal or Bruce Dickinson, but give it to a Tom Ariah or a James Hetfield in his pub I don't think they're delivering that line is good because that I spread disease like a dog. When he says that you can, it's like you can hear the rabies in his mouth, like yeah, it sounds like he's actually he's actually snarling at you. Like he's such a characterful singer without ever feeling like he needs to. You know, he's not adopting a role, he's not method acting. Dave Mustaine is just like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean that is it is like again from like aspuch as again, I find his vocals can just be so great. The charisma when he gets it right, I think that is sort of one of those like things you can't replicate.
Speaker 4: I mean that.
Speaker 3: That's when it's that's where you said, like you can't really cover Megan f because it just because he has that one of a mind for better or worse kind of charismatic vocal approach.
Speaker 1: I mean, good luck not fucking especially if you're playing guitar while doing those local parts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, no, no, I think I get. I mean that's all fair.
Speaker 3: But I think on this album in particular, it is where all lines up perfectly, where you do get those like memorable, iconic kind of lines and again, like members so calls the whole album, but those are them lines that that that stick with you because he he does like transform into something faireral when he has to, and it is like just one of those like unique selling points that only megad f can have on this record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked, we thought before about like that there were people will go with weird more than I think people give them credit for. Like I think we talked it when we did the Primus album Club. But you can watch videos on YouTube people doing like reaction videos to Rust in Peace or Tornado of Souls in particular, people who don't listen to rock and melt, and when that vocal comes in, they do sort of initially pull a face like you know, like they've smelt something bad that like, oh, that's a okay. By the time that the second verse and they've adjusted to it, it's fine. Like I sometimes wonder if this because some people will say, like oh, megge, that could be so much bigger if it wasn't for Dave Mustain's vocals, Like I don't really buy it because it doesn't seem to actually be. Again, I take the points on that sound's not keen, but I agree that it's not. Their popularity isn't in spite of him generally. I know he's bad on the other records, but at its best it is a selling point, Like it looks how.
Speaker 1: Many people cats these songs over the years, right, and how many how many fans are there in legions singing along to these songs or any of the songs from this period, go back to fucking wake Up Dead, you know, mechanics anything, right, It's like he's he's clearly he's magnetic, you know. And I remember thinking, you know, the last time they headline Bloodstock and like, you know, yeah, his voice, he can't do that these days. But in terms of songs they put together, it's still like, you know, despite them being one of the you know, the biggest metal bands in the world or whatever, like it's underrated how many all timer melodic songs they have and you can, you know, you get onto you are too Lemons and your Trusts and stuff later. But here, even in Holy Wars and Hangar eighteen, which are so frantic, the pockets he finds for melody, he's like genuine unbelievable talent, and uh, you know, maybe the biggest example comes later in the record. But you know, if we go back to the track list, that crazy energy, isn't it. I thought, I'm amazed about this record if you think about the major classics on it, and the you know, the opening kind of pairing of song particularly really jumps out. There are deeper cuts on this album where it gets crazier and more like methed up than fucking Holy Wars. Five Magics is an absolute freak song.
Speaker 3: It's Almo like because again you've had these first things that are like super tight and at it, and then five Mates just kind of just like loosens up and it gets kind of a bit weird and kind of sprawls out in all these different directions as he's singing about wizards and virgins and dragons, bit like it's all on there like it's it's it's one of those like prop just like heavy text with heavy metal stuff, but just this kind of like weird explorative way Meganef go at it. It's it's super compelling. It's one of those MEGAA songs. Again, I don't reach for like as it says, like you know, girls like I. Five Magics is really fucking good. Actually, Like the hooks on this are really weird. I know we've said that there are some eccentric moments on the preceding songs, but.
Speaker 2: That mehster yeah, fair like that that being like the hook of the song, like the thing that comes up like that, give me, how can you give me sorcery?
Speaker 1: Like give me with Adrea, which is massive, by the way, but then you're right, it turned into this really skin crawling choice. It's like you're hearing him somehow like contorting, shriveling up from this magic that he's tapped into or something, and that is you know, all the fucking like progressive metal stuff of the nineties, but it you know, Death or Dream Theater or whatever. The new bar that it has to kind of clear is something like five magics because the time signatures in it are fucking wild. The build from like you know, starting completely autent and then somehow them to like spider like crawl itself back up from the depths with you know, the kind of bulk of the song when it gets there is basically like a speed metal song, but the instrumental fucking intro for like two minutes he's so sinister and alive at the same time and so strange. And then Poison with the cure. I think if I'm probably right in saying it's probably the fastest song in the negative cannon like in terms of those like you know, thousand fingered kind of speed metal threat board runs where you go, how is that a riff that you have written? Poison with the Cure sounds like it comes from the surface of the sun. Like if you don't smile at that rift booting off, you are hopeless, because you know the little bass intro that you just sang, the instrument will kind of fucking around parts they do to introduce songs like that. They're just so like perfect every time, Like you don't know how they come up with those parts in relation to the rest of the song, but it would not work the same without it. But then the speed, the peer speed that here ups into is like absolutely boildery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think every song on this record is notable and earns its place, And I think Poison was the cure on paper. You think, is it the more basic, straightforward of the songs here, Like, is it the one that's most relatable to where they were beforehand? Maybe? But the fact it's so technical and so fast means that if it is a song more like I say, more relatable to what they were doing earlier, it's so much more of a heightened version of it. Yeah, Basically every technical and compositional way that it could only fit on a rust in peace like this would sound insane on any preceding Megadeth record purely by virtue of being that much more on ten M.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love that, like the weird, sauntering, quirky groove stuff on this as well, Like you know, we mentioned the stuff you're talking about in Holy Wars and that sort of like perverse mocking skip that it has, but like Lucretia after that just fucked up little goblin laugh. It's you know, it's the slowest song and that one doesn't go crazy speed, but the sheer eccentricity that comes out of them doing a mid pace riff like that, like no one would do that. Feel like that like them, Like what the hell even is that? Even the fucking the little tail end bump thing they do for media rounding, it's like even on a song like that and then completely out on a limb and I am like, I miss, you know, a living organism of a band there, Like the way Nick Menz's fluid bouncing rhythms in like perfect lockstep with Ellison's base on a groove riff like that. It kind of like bubbles this record in a way that like you know, certainly thrash metal today generally doesn't really It's like a next level chemistry on this record.
Speaker 4: You said, like they're like Lucretia. That song bounces exactly.
Speaker 3: It's really fun, it's it's weird, and it was just like kind of like I think it's been more like a sort of a major key melody to it, like the sort of the wrists and that, but like the way that song was kind of just looking at this like weird bouncing groove and like today's vocal on that song is hilariously mental times like.
Speaker 4: The Ends of Lights where you just go, that's a bit like those sort of things like that. I'm like, this shouldn't work, but it does.
Speaker 3: It was like I feel like this is something where like me as a mega fact, I should be ripping this this sort of vocal force to pieces as kind of like stupid and knaugh but I'm like, no, like when you actually are like just locked into it and the song is kind of like do all this kind of weird playful stuff on it and so of just being like a bouncing, fun heavy metal song, it all kind of just like synergizes together to be something like really great. And again, like I always kind of like doing things to be like man album tracks, you know, like six songs in on Mega Piece, they're as good as a single. This could be a single and you'd be like, it's one of the greatest metal singles of like the nineties.
Speaker 1: You should expect that because this is a perfect big surprise that tracks from Rusted Piece are good. Is I mean the ending pair right, you know, going into Rusting Piece Polaris, which has again that kind of the stomping groove that when.
Speaker 2: Negative that on this record.
Speaker 1: It's not like you know Pantera or you know Metallica or you know what they themselves start doing on like a Symphony's Destruction or something that kind of four to four grinder thing. When they go midpace, it's like being like mugged by an octopus or something like. There's something mocking and kind of sardonic just about the feel of a riff like.
Speaker 2: That Dan Dan a little earlier.
Speaker 1: It's like, how like in the pocket and yet simultaneously like live wire loose cannon. It is it's like a like a show of intimidation from a soldier who is trying really hard to not just pull his gun out and shoot you. Like it's really genuinely sinister when it holds back and then Dawn Patrol. Is it intro to it? God, I love that that's there, because that is the bit that I imagine must wind up so many cowards who think Megadeth are rubbish, because that's the bit that you know, I haven't pulled anyone about this, but if there's someone out there going rest in pieces a bit shit, actually, that's probably the bit I imagine there thinking. But that prowling Ellafson baseline well mustain. Literally he creaks in his voice like a diseased devolution of a human reporting from you know, the burned up end of the world.
Speaker 2: Now I can only laugh as I read our and then.
Speaker 1: The final noises he makes are literally squeaking like rats that you can imagine like crawling over consuming his body for the final second it fucking come on, like it's so just the eccentricity, the idiosyncrasy, the invention of it is like beyond.
Speaker 2: It's This was the one where for a long time I struggle with it, even though even when I was loving this record, when I was like eight or nine hearing it for the first time, but I couldn't get my head around Dawn and Patrol, and it really bothered me because it's like it's less than two minutes, and I was like, this is so weird, and now I mean obviously I love it, Like I kind of didn't appreciate what a clever, interesting bit of world building it was. Yeah, Megadeth, well, they were always the most eccentric and odd ball of the Big four, and when they really flex that, I think that thing you're saying where some people might go is rust and piece actually that good. I think that's the thing that those people miss out on, Like they kind of think that everything is It's it's funny because they play it so straight and totally serious. But there's loads of stuff on this record that you kind of wonder if they are winking at you. I mean, like that that this is so strange. You wonder do they know how strangeness is or are they are they that warped as an other group of guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's the kind of stuff that you don't get on, you know, the later albums that are kind of in this sort of you know, the big thrash masspe type albums like Imagine if the Blackening the bit like like a Dawn Patrol, Like it's the kind of it is a thing that has been sort of lost a little bit because no one has the oddball like you know again or like are they winking or like what is just like spitting.
Speaker 2: Down on you. It's just the personality negative have is.
Speaker 1: So it's really encapsulated in like I think that one two of that into Resting Piece Polaris, like you were saying, it's.
Speaker 3: So funny because it's like sandwiched in between you know, Tornado of Souls and Rust plast But I'm like, I'm like, I've looked I should hate on Control.
Speaker 4: I feel like I should look at it as like the dud on the album.
Speaker 3: But it is kind of just like this, like it's not what I like listen to outside of the basically that's thing is like, and that's the thing. That's why I'm like, I don't see what the problem with it is because it's kind of just like this weirdo intro to the album's final track, and it is kind of like weird interesting And then you say, you get that opening drum film on Piece and you're gonna go like, yeah, fuck it, like like yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: That Rust and Piece Plas isn't as unusual musically, like people, No one goes out that song's a bit weird, but it's a song from the perspective of a nuclear bomb, Like, yeah, that is a weird idea, and it would take a lot to sell it. And again, Dave Mustain is quite the character in his own right where he does not need to try and capsulate the character of something else. But because Megadeth are so eccentric, and because Dave isn't a shrinking Violet, and you know, when they're all on cocaine's probably even less for a shrinking violet, it totally sells it. And as a way of kind of kind of capturing the general theme of the record, it's it's the weirdest way they could have done it, and also the most suitable for Megadeth at this point in their career.
Speaker 1: I think absolutely got to go back to a song I've obviously left till till last. All of these things about technicality meeting you know, feel and songwriting chops and actually like dynamite use of melody on top of bewilderingly tightly packed in arrangements, tornehev Souls quite simply takes the piss with how perfect it is and It's kind of a one of a kind song, right, almost in all the thrashmallow because this is pre black album right, and this is not a black album hype song in a way that you know, even Megadeth would start adopting that kind of mind sight from a manzet from Countain to distinction, Tornado of Souls is almost like a I had the thought today. It's almost like a view of like, what is a hypermlogic perfectly made for radio thrash metal song in a pre black album world. It's like a type species for an alternate timeline that didn't come to be. And even Metallica up to nineteen ninety I don't think had a song as melodically slick as Tornado of Souls is, like they were doing like one in Sanitarium. These kind of like Wagnerian songs, but Tornado of Souls. You know, Megadeth be in the band where everyone says the singer can't sing, they're the first to absolutely perfect, Well, here's just a melodically perfect sing along hit that still in a like pre black album world, happens to be a windstorm of like you know, tight technical thrash riffs. Also and you know, maybe it is because it's basically the only song in the world that can scratch the itch that I want scratched from Tornado of Souls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which you.
Speaker 1: Could also in fair to say about Holy Wars or Hangar eighteen or whatever, because E's only so unique. But this is just one of those like crack songs, just absolutely one in a million. How on this album that's already like sky high quality the whole way? How did they write a song this good? It blows my mind.
Speaker 2: It's the only thing you were saying about it being a window into where thrash could have gone in a mainstream sense. It's maybe the only song which you could sequence in a playlist next to Kickstart My Heart and War Ensemble, you know what I mean. It's fired up, it's melodic, it's still really aggressive in its playing. Yeah, there are so many sick riffs which welcome mosh bits, but also these sky high singalongus. I feel like recently we've talked quite a lot about those ascension metal songs where they don't just define the genre there that you're listening to it and you feel like it's some sort of ballderline religious as religiously like Master of Puppets, how be their name Warpigs. I think this album has two in Holy Wars and Tornado of Souls, and this is the better of the two. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it's one of the best songs ever made in any style.
Speaker 1: No, it's not, because every vocal melody is completely on point, even still, you know, charged with this sort of like manic nervous energy, like how deranged and shrill Dave is still going, but the chorus manages to have some kind of like stature and grandeur out of that even while he's putting that like high pitch Wayland kind of madness into it simultaneously, it's actually convincingly quite emotional. That's a song about relationships, bizarrely on this ucking record, but this arrangement of it where this is ambitious in structure, but everything is also totally in place, Like you want a perfect example of just like you know, bring the chorus in drum fill. Look what Nick Menzer does for that first chorus, what he does for the fucking the break section in the middle again the elevation trick. Like keep going on about this album of like songs that just somehow continuously up the intensity and make it feel kind of desperate when they hit that with the kind of the land of Uppertoon early that part you were talking about earlier? Does that and how do they peak that momentum? They've built the greatest solo that certainly Marty Freeman ever puts the tape which might be in contention, you know, next to Hammett's one in the Thing That Should Not Be or whatever whatever personal contender you might want to mention for the greatest guitar solo in metal.
Speaker 2: I feel like the Tornado so solo it's end. It's not just entered the panel like the great metal solos, It's entered that panthon of things like free Bird, where it's not a remote exaggeration to say that I can't think of maybe I'm sort of like one by Metallica or something like oh the Painkiller solo even then not really where it's ascended its genre and entered that thing of these are just the great guitar solos, do you know what I mean? I still I still find this bit jaw dropping on a on a record which is sequenced in such a way where it feels you're doing that continuously. This might be the like your your floating moment on the record.
Speaker 1: It's just complete, like other worldly god mode. It feels about a minute long, but every single like note in it and every direction it goes in is exactly the right one to make it effortlessly catchy and singable despite how complicated it is.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, for any any fucking.
Speaker 1: Legendary guitarist you want to mention, I don't care. They've probably never had an individual moment of brilliance as good as that, Like Marty Freeman has earned complimentary boxes of Captain Crunch for life because of that fucking thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty good, No, I mean.
Speaker 3: The one so is what it kind of reminds me is where it's kind of all built that moment where it does all of one like erupts on that solo. In particular, the soul feels that similar kind of like you truly ascended to the highest peak and you're kind of now just like you are blasting off into a galaxy that no one has ever been to before. I mean, like about the song is like before, it's like chunkier and meaner then, like someone associate with Megan, I was kind of think of like they're quite wiry and techy.
Speaker 4: This song is like big and it has got that kind of like.
Speaker 3: Hic capacity to it, which is when you get this like insane kind of like technical guitar sollow as the kind of the payoff rather than like a big single bit which again it's got a really good chorus and that post chorus bit with the whole like who's to say, what's for me to say?
Speaker 4: Like all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: It's huge, but it is that that that again and then ausly that feels like that should be the payoff moment, but it is. It's just that fucking solo like just being the best of its kind.
Speaker 2: And it's it's it's maybe the best. I think it's it's up there with the best, regardless of how you measure what makes a great solo, because there's that sort of post Nirvana thing where people seem to say they don't like solo or one thing that bothers me. People say things like I like a tarso is when they serve the song as if other people go like, no, I like it when it doesn't serve the song as I like it. But that's just me Like this solo it it does serve the song obviously, like the song is so much better for it, but also technically it is just so much fun to listen to. It's dazzling, and I think that's I don't want to say lost art for them because obviously people there's there's a lot of shredding, and there's that sort of there's like the gent wave of the shred arsen, which is a different kind of thing, but there is something to be said about listening to a guitar song and going, I don't know how they're doing that, Like how is he making that noise? And if you can, you know, meet those two worlds where it's dazzling to listen to while also being melodically satisfying, you're on to winner and this is one of the best, Like however where you slice it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I still don't know if the solo in the song is just as good and jaw dropping again as the arrangement of the riffs around it, because the evolution of the rhythms, the different kind of levels of intensity with the drums, the bit arthursilo when he just starts doing the like just filling in every single bit of space with bas and snare hits, the one riff after that before the final speed ramp verse.
Speaker 4: But it is.
Speaker 2: What the fuck is that?
Speaker 1: It's like extreme of consciousness, every single brilliant idea they had somehow locked into like a perfect skeleton of a melodic metal banger. It's another plane of brilliance that song, and then again after that you've still got you know, rusting peace polarises. I spread as these like a dog discharge my payload, which is an incredible like Freudian death lust kind of innuendo as well from the perspective of a nuclear warhead. I don't know if you know thrash or speed metal has ever been kind of more spitefully mockingly joyful than this, Like Megadeth are fun in a way that you know Metallica or Slayer aren't, or you know, Anthrax are fun in a kind of like dorkier, you know, cargo short sort of way. Megadeth are sadistically playful, and they are like blackly laughing all the way to the end of humanity. And those crazy like spider fingered speed rifts, they're fucking fun to listen to, Like they're a hoop, but they're also cruel and like coughing up a lung full of black smokers.
Speaker 2: They go through it.
Speaker 1: And this record just how staggeringly meticulously composed it is, and how state of the eye is where every song is a juggernall, but it's never like too sanded down or like too serious to kind of stop that like grinning black soul glinting its teeth back at you think that Megaeth have, Like this is a record that just never for an instant stopped exciting me since I was thirteen years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you don't like this band, I find it hard to believe that if you like mel you could listen to this and not recognize it as a masterpiece. It's one of those in the things that master's raining but master puppets. As great as it is, I don't listen to it all that often these days, Like I might go back very marvel at it, but it's not something that I find myself getting all that addicted to rusting pieces. I've listened to it so much this week, even though I didn't need to. I could have sat down and done my notes without listening to a second of it. And I've listened to it four or five times. I think there is that thing that separates the classic records where something like Dark Side of the Moon right is incredible, but I don't listen to it all that often, but something like Rumors I will put on very frequent because it's just it's a joy to listen to. On the metal end of things, this album still scratches that itch and still g's me up in the way they did when I was, you know, eight nine ten, like discovering metal for the first time, this being one of the first metal records I discovered it that that sort of mad thrill hasn't dulled an iota. And like I said, I've listened to it hundreds of times, and I still find myself going back and getting excited by the same moments again and again and again. I mean, there's just there's one some of that just has an aw to it that that makes it feel like unique and like that only MegaDEF at this moment in time, with this lineup could could create like Slayer. In fact, none of the other big bour bands could actually do what MegaDEF have done here and again, like one of you've gotta take Big Day for who he is like, you're gonna just take him what he is as a vocalist and if you can a vocalist limits all that. And when you do that, like all the comers have, man, they do kind of like for the forty odd minutes this amazon, all of my problems with Dave Mustain and MegaDEF and all that they do just completely disappear.
Speaker 3: And I'm kind of in fraued by the manager just run through that final like riff right near the end of the recipes. Plus like we're like you're saying, like a riff is good dying moments of your record, and you're kind of going, yeah, we could have.
Speaker 2: Gone through this entire chat without mentioning that riff.
Speaker 3: I wanted to make sure that I was like, how I need to mention that it was what a fucking flex Like it's so sick and again like like that's it. It's just like the aura to this album. Again, I don't listen to this album nearly as much as you two, just like because how I'm listening going, but I'm like, maybe maybe I have been wrong in my ways for like and again it's every time I had planets and and go like yeah.
Speaker 4: You're wrong, Sam, and then I'll I'm like Megan Foo and I'm like, no, Sam, you're wrong.
Speaker 3: We're actually really fucking good at one point in time, and this album is just the proof that, like, yeah, like fucking classic in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's worth pointing out that, aside from maybe the anarchy in the UK cover, which I still sort of like in a kitch sort of way, I don't think they really put her foot wrong for the first like fifteen years of their career, and then they've still got fucking, you know, banger after banger coming through in those sort of you know, two thousands, or we get to cryptic writings, you got fucking trust and she will, like you know, Meganeth isolated both which a brilliance is not isolated.
Speaker 2: Megadeth were brilliant.
Speaker 1: This is the peak of that brilliant it is it speaks for itself kind of how much of a touchstone for just kind of like technical aggressive metal music that is going forward. It's kind of redundant to say so. I'm almost more drawn to how one of the kind it is, like it is the artistic peak of this kind of like intensely million notes a minute thrash metal right before the Black Album changed the court of that genre forever.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It's the only album like this that this classic lineup of Megadeth actually makes. You've got forty minutes of it and that's it. But we're still fucking talking about it because thirty five years on, we clearly cannot get enough of those forty minutes. So there is an hour on Rusting Piece, one of the fucking sickest things anyone's ever made. It was about time we gave it that hour.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 1: We've got three more album clubs to go, and speaking of intense hours, Killing Jokes two thousand and three, self titled, is where we go next. They're one of those funny bands with two self titled records. Their first their nineteen eighty debut album, also you know, absolute classic, probably their most I don't know, icon acclaimed record. This one, then, is often known as Killing Joke two thousand and three, and obviously with those dates, we're going like more than two decades into the career of Killing Joke here. It's a band who dominated their field for forty years. Basically, let's touch based on Killing Joke a little bit first, because there are I think there's basically two groups of people out there in relation to them. There are those who maybe find them and their large catalog and their legacy or whatever quite daunting to get into, you know, like where do you start. I think, despite them being like one of the most iconic and influential bands of all time, we're still talking about almost something of a cult band, where like a lot of listeners might not really have actually yet had their full Killing Jock expirits. And then there are those who you know rightly hold them to be simply one of the standard bearers of everything it means to be a band.
Speaker 2: Elliott's. We've never spoken by Killing Joke before in this capacity, but the.
Speaker 1: Circles where we generally kind of you know, crossover, Killing Joke are like a practically biblical event of a band. And you know, you're reaction to me whipping this album at a couple of weeks ago told me everything that I need to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it took me a long time to get into Killing Joke, like probably the best part of a decade before I really started to appreciate them. And it's like you say, when I started getting into extreme and experimental music, they were one of those bands, which it was endlessly referenced. Every cool band loves Killing Joke, whether it's Faith No More or Napalm Death or Swans or whoever, like, they all point to Killing Joke as like the thing that put them on their path, and they would talk I was like the heaviest, nastiest, most oppressive sound ever made. And I went and listened to the debut, and this is when I was listening to things like worm Rot and like I don't know, you know, like total fucking destruction stuff like that. And I didn't understand at the time because it wasn't there were no there wasn't harsh vocals, there wasn't blast beats, there were fairly linear song structures by comparison. I kind of didn't understand what it was I was meant to find so frightening and oppressive about Killing Joke. And it was only years later that I went back and I was just staggered by how stark and nasty and frightening that first record still sounds. But I'm glad this is the one we're doing, because this is the album that when I started going through the records, fella, the one that fulfilled the promise that had been made to me in the first place about what a nasty, horrific, loud, punishing band they were. This album, I think more than any others, including that at first self titled is the is the sound that was set up for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, funny because you say that about you know, they're being terrifying and apocalyptic and one of the things what they are, and we're going to say that a lot through this. I also won of the great things about Killing Joke is that that's just one side.
Speaker 2: Of their personality.
Speaker 1: Essentially, they are broader than that and they cover more than that. And I got into Killing Joke it was like, basically, you know, I heard you know, Metallica's cover of The Weight, and I went and heard that first record, and almost at the exact same time, the Absolute Descent album came out, which is fucking incredible, one of the best, one of my favorites, and I had these two records are thirty years apart, and I was like, these obviously thirty year a part, they sound different, but they're both amazing. What the fuck this band are the best? And then you know, from there on I just had to go and find everything else. Sam how many Killing Your albums?
Speaker 2: Have you heard?
Speaker 3: So The first Killing Jack album I heard was Absolute Descent in twenty ten because I was like getting into like, oh, you know, I was coming into my music and it was kind of like, oh, Killing Joke back after like what four years of a new album, and so I checked out because some people are about it, hated it, completely bounced off you've been in life, like, we'll get into it. Remember me in two thousand and show like plant yourself into a person who's listening to metalcore and Michael Romance. Of course I'm going to bounce off Absolute Descend by.
Speaker 4: Killing Joke eventually, like and then I kind of like a couple years, I was like I quite a dull.
Speaker 3: Quite recently, I kind of just like came and went mi distance, like Killing Joe's kind of like I heard like bits fit, you know, and I was like, okay, cool, there there is more, There's something there's and but there was just so much I know where's going. I've kind of checked in some of like the more the eighties stuff, like the really poppy stuff in the eighties, and I'm like all in on that now obviously, like nighttime, I fucking I think the album is like, yeah, ten out of ten, like, and I've kind of like, well, like I will work my way through the different eras of Killing Joke over time, because again, they've got what like nearly twenty odd albums, so I don't come in the exact amount. It's a lot of albums to get through, but like, I love that kind of shimmering eighties gothic dark post punk stuff that that's fucking amazing, and I've come back around on absolute descent, like that album is very good. I'd not listened to Killing Joke two thousand and three, so this was kind of was like, okay, so what like you know, this was something like what eight years or so something like that between albums, and it like yeah, between the one before, so I know there was like a big gap, and this is kind of like a real turning point in their sort of sound. So I was kind of curious to how that all lines up, and their headplan was like fucking hell, this album like all that apocalyptic, most heavy, most nightmarish dark bands and things. Again, this is where I find you just so confusing, because like they are that they aren't that depending on where.
Speaker 4: You dip in with them.
Speaker 3: But this is I feel like this almost must be like the embodiment of that side of killing jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're killing joke, as said, were all the roosts for more than forty fucking years. You know, they are the band who, you know, in the last kind of year or two since Jordie Walker died, and you know, they've not like made a statement that they're going to retire or anything like that. But we think we just all just sort of like, you know, assume it to some degree that that's kind of it, or at least the end of something. And I find myself just going, oh God, I can't believe we live in a world without killing joke in it now, Like that this band who have so many you know, kind of classic albums and album club cans in them from all different decades, this could be one of many killing joke album clubs. You know. I was close to throwing absolute descent because I've a real soft spot personally for that one. But I think at the moment, there's just something about this two thousand and three self Tattled album that just keeps kind of chiming and feeling like it's the right one to do and that's something is anger, because Killing Joke are many things. More often than not, they're heavy, sometimes they're you know, again much more pretty. But I don't know if they've ever felt like they were powered by pure seething anger more than on this record. And it's not even quite really representative to call Killing Joke a like socially or politically conscious band, because like that they are. But it's again, it's larger than that. Everything they do is somehow larger than the base thing you would call it. There is so much intellectually involved with the kind of the content of Killing Joke music and where it comes from that is like probably beyond me. Like, I don't know if there's anyone in rock music who I would like to interview less solely on the grounds that I am too stupid for the job than jazz Coleman, like I would just swallowed up by the ground immediately, or he's just mental. That's a probable factor as well. But you know, there are points where the kind of social malays surrounding a particular record of theirs just becomes like so tangible and impossible not to pick up on in comparison to maybe some of the other ones which are a little bit more kind of obfuscated the debut obviously the general kind of like thatcher right sort of industrial decay that marks a lot of like eighties punk and post punk. But I don't think there's a record in their catalog really where you can go well, that one clearly came out when that was happening more than this one, and it's proximity to the outbreak of the Iraq War, and there's again there's likely a whole a whole lot more kind of going on within it. But you know, this is an album directly about US imperialism and kind of Western you know, money and power grabs and unjust warfare. That's that's what it is. That's what it still is and what it speaks to now. And it's like, you know, Killing Druck are always kind of speaking about this stuff. It's always there in the fabric of what they do, but it's like this point, it just it bursts open so into plain sight, and there's almost like the Cold War that they're always talking about has in this moment kind of become a bit.
Speaker 2: Of a hot one.
Speaker 1: And this record is just so direct and so plain in its intentions that I think you know, one of the albums that would maybe most violently grab a new listener by the throat in the way you're kind of you know, almost like a rat against Machine or a Dead Kennedy's album or anything like that kind of would in their own particularly suffocating kind of way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you can hit play on this album, not kind of just like pay attention to every single kind of second. But this is again like right, the anger, the sort of social political kind of like feeling of this album, and like this, you could not have this album like what's wise. I think like this ALM is so timely now as well, but it feels like it had to come out in two thousand and three. It had to, you know, at that time, in the wake of those like political events and what was going on. They had to kind of just like let this kind of like sledge hammer, no subtlety, kind of just like blunt delivery of this like militant apocalyptic kind of like industrial Like I don't know what you call the so on this album because.
Speaker 4: It kind of again covers so much.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, absolutely, but again, this is one like the sort of the rhythms and the sort of the beats and the regimented to nature of it is it's so militant in it sound, and that is not a kind of like coincidence, is it is conjuring that, like just on the pure.
Speaker 4: Soide that don't.
Speaker 3: Like marching beats constantly across the whole whole album, And then you get into the lyrics and the themes, it's all just their front and center. And again you're right, like, I think like this album as the first it is given what is going with in the world right now, I hear a planent is gonna like fuck me, this is you know, there's a reason we're talking about.
Speaker 4: This album right now.
Speaker 3: I think it does land really like evocatively at that at this point.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of the perfectly pitched politically minded rock records maybe ever, because it's such a hard thing to get right. I think where if you make it too like pointed and specific, it could become kind of dated or feel sort of it can feel kind of cheap doing things like that, And if you make it too broad and vague, it doesn't really land like you might talk on a larger subject that lasts longer, but in the moment, it doesn't feel all that vital or sort of direct enough to again to sort of evoke anything in you. What's so genius about this record is we all know what it's about, but it doesn't have to go George Bush is a wanka. Like it's not like rock against Bush.
Speaker 3: It's not that sort of like those punk bands do that, but this is way more just kind of like it cuts into the point like so powerfully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not profits of Rage doing unfucked the world, you know. I mean, it's not like John Oliver rock where it just feels sort of like limp and rubbish. It's so cutting and so vicious, while still kind of managing to occasionally be abstract and talk about larger things like I'm sure we'll get to it, like Death and Resurrection show as the opening track without ever being too explicit about what it's about. There's no question what it's dealing with, and I think that is the genius of the record and the thing that marks them out from other bands, especially of this time, trying to tackle that same subject.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like they've been kind of sort of galvanized into action on it because there hadn't been a Killing Jack album as you were saying, I mean, I think it's seven years and then you know, they have had these like little periods occasionally where the band I guess technically still exists, but they go in through these little creative slumbers. And the last album Democracy in ninety six. A lot of bands, you know, flirted with industrial and the nineties. At Pandemonium they had like kind of one of their stronger albums of that period, and then Democracy after that. I don't think Killing Joke really have bad albums, but that is one of the ones that's much less kind of mentioned, and I think the band themselves weren't the.
Speaker 2: Most happy with it.
Speaker 1: Suddenly two thousand and three they just come back spitting blood and it's not an industrial rock record in the way that like Pandemonium is. Instead, I think this is maybe one of the best examples of just how Killing Joke themselves the band play just with a like crushing discipline that is basically like it's a trick unto themselves that we then compare any other bands doing it to them. You know, there is an extra component on this, which is Dave roll on drums, because Killing Joke did not have a full time drummer upon this particular return. Apparently there was a plan and actually they were gonna have three different drummers, Dave Grol, John Dormien and Danny Carey all record the record, but Dave Groll like wanted in on the whole thing. The legend that I have heard passed around it it was basically a way of paying a debt for a Nirvana nicking the riff from eighties for Come as You Are, which is so he recorded the album without a fee. I'm sure that that's a simplification, but it's a nice piece of folklon under less that I would like to to parrots.
Speaker 2: I think this might be not only one of.
Speaker 1: The best albums that Dave Girl's ever played on every single band that he's been in, you can throw this against it, but almost about as large a proving ground as a drummer he could have, because here he comes into this already legendary band and you've got to match Jordie Walker's riffs as the primal engine in killing Joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he does an amazing job where you know he's there. You listen to this record and you can hear that it's Dave Roll. But this album doesn't just fall on the It's the one where you can hear Dave Grohl playing the way that some other albums by other bands when he comes and features do. And I think, I don't know if that's the credit to him for slotting in so brilliantly, or if it's just the nature of Killing Joke as a band where it's almost like a sort of sickness or a parasite that infects anything that comes in concept with it. Because Jordie Walker is one of the most frightening rift writers and effortlessly frightening rift writers ever that even someone who plays drums like Dave Grohl kind of sounds like not too intimidating in his presence. Yeah, he has to match it.
Speaker 3: Those riffs can like beat Dave Goldin' submission almost whilst he's still sounding like as like pulverizing on the drums.
Speaker 4: Is it is that listen to the drumk It's like fucking hell.
Speaker 3: That is like again like the whole you know we talked about few times, the loud versus heavy sort of thing.
Speaker 4: This album is fucking heavy, Like everything about it.
Speaker 3: Is just again like everyone not playing like sonically heavy, like there was just this constant air of menace that hangs over this. And so when you get those moments where like you've had this kind of like opening section of like the defferenstation, that you've had that main sort of.
Speaker 4: Riffman and that's from like changing vocal that kind of.
Speaker 3: Throning along, and then when you get that, listen to the drums and Dave God comes in with that. It's fucking scary. The first time I heard I was like, Jesus fucking cries. Okay, this is the album settling in for?
Speaker 4: Is it? Let's fucking go? Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know when people talking about fucking you know, not loose doing the reggaetor and breakdown and stuff like that, it's like, this is what anyone hoping to. You know, you kind of have to match this, you know, more than six and a half minutes practically seven grinding you into fucking paste. Like the Death and Resurrection show is kind of like an endurance test, but it's also the exact evidence of what Killing Joke do that no band ever can really match them on, which is that like taking of a rhythm and making you fucking delirious with it, just like how thick they lay it on how mercilessly unrelenting it will be, like I'm kind of demented by about two minutes into the Death and Resurrection show and it's.
Speaker 2: Still thought to go.
Speaker 1: You know, and the scale of sound in Killing Joke when they just decide to go like, yeah, this is gonna be a heavy one strap in and they basically got this whole record is kind of unbelievable because, you know, drums, we've got the heaviest performance that Dave roll Ever lays down to tape just because he kind of has to.
Speaker 2: Cause he's in Killing Joke.
Speaker 1: Now. Guitars from the opening seconds, the tone is legitimately terrifying. Those riffs that you know, Jordie Walker may kind of reinventing heaviness into this like pounding overwhelming minimalism. You know that then is going to be godflesh and swans and all these other things like here two decades of experience and evolution. The guitar tone that he gets, particularly in the twenty first century, I find is some of the craziest guitar towns like ever achieved. And then Jazz Coleman, who spends much of that first song in this sort of like chiming, robotic dandarn dann and then when he turns it on I I it's a feat of human evolution. How he does that voice. I don't know how he does it, Like when he goes ah like it's properly. It's like when you see your fucking silverback gorilla beating its chef or something and you go, well, that's something that a human can't do, except he does it.
Speaker 2: It's nuts.
Speaker 3: It's one of the like and I mean this is in the most commonly possibly one of the most ugliest extreme.
Speaker 4: It's like like some harsh vocals a person can ever do it.
Speaker 3: Like again, it's so joke because you've had that bird bird b bradleep and that there's that just kind of hitting you.
Speaker 4: And then when that oh is that where he just starts screaming that, it's like fucking what is that noise?
Speaker 3: That is like like genuinely inhuman and just like like it sounds like he's hurting himself doing it, Like, I don't know how a person can do that savely, because again it's that thing where you talk about like there's no like rehearsed scream and he's just this primal like throaty again, it just adds like it's just one more layer to make.
Speaker 4: This song as oppressively heavy as possible.
Speaker 2: When he hits the fucking oh beloved Woman of Liberty in your ah.
Speaker 5: And the note just goes like at full yell over like the whole next bit it's and it just sticks on that whole rhythm the same way basically, but it just it feels like it's like, you know when I don't know if you remember, the Napalm Death did this thing several years ago where they played a show where they like it was in like an art exhibition and they had to like loosen bricks by playing and like just through sound waves, That's what it sounds like this song is doing just through jazz Coleman's voice.
Speaker 2: It's christ I've loved this song for years, but this song entered a higher echelon for me when we saw them a Bloodstock a couple of years ago, and it was that I think it was saying that maybe the hottest day at a festival in British history. It was like forty degrees no shade that it was on and then killing joke. Come on and you listen to this deafening volume and dead and dead, and we'd be dying. You'd be like, you feel like it's the end of the world. I kill me now, please. But then and you're right, it's that hypnostic And I remember, like Jordi Walkman, Jordie was just watching him play guitar and looking at his right hand and going, how is he making that much noise when he's playing with like the laxa daisical like effortless quality. He's not hacking away at the strings, I mean the way like Billy jar Armstrong does. He's playing it like it's like Creden's clear Water Revival, and it's making that noise. And then going back to this and just listening to something going this the sound, the terror of it. This isn't just impressive for any band. It's impressive like these guys are in their forties, maybe even early fifties at this point, and they're making music that sounds like this. It going back to it for this it really made me think of when we did the Artist in Chain special. We were saying, imagine here and check my brain. As at the first outs and Chain song back, you get into killing joke and you already know that they can be one of the heaviest bands in the world. And then the first song on their new record is one of the heavier songs they would ever put down. It's it's the sort of stuff that like underground circles, it's just the stuff of legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then there's the mocking, whispered imperialist demon.
Speaker 2: Voice that he does on this album as well.
Speaker 1: I barely have words to describe what Jazz Colman does on that verse in total Invasion, like making every word hiss and snarl in all of the wrongest places, like he has just become this kind of morally bankrupt oil baron.
Speaker 2: I'll start a war on that song, you know.
Speaker 1: And he has this incredible knack for saying things that kind of paint the perspective that we generally see things from, you know, that being the kind of you know, the Western you know, British American kind of global view of the world in the seediest sort of way that like cut through any kind of preconceived notions. But he's like, you know, we'll close your women in the Western way. It's like, well, it makes its skin kind of cruel. And then when you get to the chorus, which is essentially just a massive declaration of war.
Speaker 2: Right is totally evaded done.
Speaker 1: It just feels like you are kind of past some point of no return. Are just masses of you know, forms around you, swamping the world. He sounds about like fifty foot tall, like an iron god stamping his feet across civilization. And it's moments like that where again I've rarely been more like legitimately petrified by a vocalist live than seeing killing Joke do stuff like that or loose cannon as well, which that like mania in the reputation. I believe that he has somehow, just in that moment, become possessed by the spirit of whatever, like evil military official with his finger on the button he's inhabiting in that song when he goes bang, he might as well like that that's an actual act of violence, you know, like that's been like thrust upon me when he shoots me with his words like that.
Speaker 3: I mean again, even with the killin joke I listened to before this, I like you always jazz common. He's an eccentric kind of like out there character as a vocalist. So when I when this song came in and that that like Gollumn by way of like oh and sort of vocals, like it's something with like BEAUNI people players like Mike Patten and like how he can do a thousand voices and all that sort of thing. It's that kind of quality of like, oh, this guy can just do fucking anything, Like like the My Painter is like there's the darkness where Mike Patten's doing a kind of like huss like whispered good voice, and it's that kind of something. It's like, oh, he is transformed. He is like so convincing in Pain's character. And then again you get that chuse, which is like a rallying cry, but it's like a horrifying kind of like I don't want to be kind of rallied behind this cause.
Speaker 4: Because it's pure like corporate greed and corruption and evil.
Speaker 3: It's so like hard as nails that will change your God to the bitch Goddess is one of the most like fucking hardest nails lines, and the way he delivers it is just so horrible and nasty and like and again it's like that we want you all, we want your land all of the other sort of like the messing. This song is kind of like as in your faces you want to get as to what was going on with the war in Iraq and like what it was all about, and it's kind of just putting it all there in the kind of like most horror movie kind of like warped contward version of it, and it is like terrifyingly captivating.
Speaker 2: I think that the whole opening run of this, that this record is just exposes the difference of music that plays at sounded angry and music that sounds legitimately angry. And I think what's so cool about killing Job, particularly on this record, is by inhabiting characters and taking these sort of someone like dissociated narrator positions where it's it's not necessarily it's not as direct as saying that this is just what I think he's like, like say, in the case of total invasion, He's encapsulating that whole worldview and the horror that comes along with it, and you can just tell that the anger is bleeding through. It comes through the mix without him having to say, oh, this is bad. By the way, there's no need because his performance.
Speaker 4: You don't agree with a person who sounds like that.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Like if you write the lyrics down. I'm sure there'll be people who go like, yeah, great, sounds good, but when he speaks that you know what he thinks, and that is so much more affecting, and so it gives you so much more to chew on than just if it came out and again it was just that George Bush is a wanka thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mentioned louse Canner, which around that vocal still has that oh well, which is huge and it has it's like a nightmare dub song, you know, this kind of taking that just swamping morass and turning it into this sort of you know, squelching horror instrumental. Apparently louse Cannon a top twenty five UK single in two thousand and three.
Speaker 4: What it's got a big woe on it. I get it, you know he's got on the radio. But it's so scammy.
Speaker 1: And I guess yeah, speaking about the vocal, you know, terror and franticness and stuff. I don't know where the hell that intro to asteroid comes from. Like every time you hear it, it makes your heart jump out of your chest. The unpredictability that he somehow like pushes those words out with such like lightning speed the terrifying, you know, warped diction. But if it was a you know, it's rhythmically insane, like the pattern of where each line goes, it's it might it could be the most at it start to.
Speaker 3: A song are type like Astroid and Implant both have those moments where you can he just goes fucking mental.
Speaker 4: And he goes on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fucking hell like Astron is like turning the Apocalypse into a fucking dance party, like because that's the song. It's it is a full on like bouncing End of Days can like post punk dance party.
Speaker 4: Jazz Colmen is just letting all of those.
Speaker 3: Darkest parts of him erupt out as a vocalist. But that the opening rant is crazy, and then just every time the asteroid hook comes back, and I'm just like pumping my fist and.
Speaker 4: Bang my head. But I'm just like this is bad though, ain't it?
Speaker 1: Like? There aren't many songs ever that fit the description rager more than that though, right, because the sheer way that makes you move, you know, killing Jokara band who excel in this kind of kinetic tension, you know, whether it's slow and repetitive like Death and Resurrection show or you know, like bull in a China Shop like this is they're gonna make you move and your limbs are gonna.
Speaker 2: Become kind of uncontrollable.
Speaker 1: Asteroid is just like three sustained minutes of just physical hysteria, you know, just that the Nightmare Banger is a thing that they absolutely knock out of the park on this record, and you're like, this is why post punk is cool. You know, like whatever might have been done to over the years, the ability to create that sort of kinetic tension or something that's very tight and regimented but forcing it outward into this like violent energy, and then you happen to have the nuts vocalist going Asteroid. It's umble, it's genuinely staggering that song, and it's like maybe one of the most simplistic on the record, but just that it sounds like that and that it powers like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you remember back at this time, like maybe the most popular metal band in the world, or certainly one of the system of a down and this manally sort of takes a similar principle to something you might hear on the self titled or on Toxicity, but supercharges it with Swans and godflesh and throbbing gristle and doesn't sacrifice any of the catchiness, Whilest sounding absolutely more manic than that band, who.
Speaker 1: Are often credited for being one of the most manic metal bands to ever become popular. Yeah, and that again the nightmare post punk banger thing blood on your Hands later on is like just upbeat riff, hell of a drum groove, but.
Speaker 2: Five corporations and more. The body signation just.
Speaker 1: Repeating that you've got blood on your hands, that just being the chorus. You know, two statements, one not even necessarily directly grammatically leading on from the other one, but it's just, you know, because one is objective in the other is an accusation, but the intent is crystal fucking clear, you know, and seeing red as well, like, which is this really kind of transparent? Uh, specifically addressed to a UK audience being like, hey, you know, the Americans are trying to have you on here and pull you along, like is do you want to is this what you want to.
Speaker 2: Go along with?
Speaker 1: And then centered on that cry of red red and everyone feeling like an impact wound. I don't know if I've heard many albums that just sound like a fucking like burning oil field as much as this, you know, and not in a chaotic, you know, a nan athrax sort of way, but just a deliberate, this is all intentional way, like this is a totalitarian sound and that's it is.
Speaker 3: It is that that like organized destruction. It's not like chaos and and like frantics or panicle overplace. This is this is like saying, like, just mechanize the military industrial complex steamrolling over everything. I mean like blowing your hands again, like there is sleeves on that rip and pop on that drum beat.
Speaker 1: I want hardcore batters to start covering blood in your hands. I had that thought today and I was like, someone needs to fucking mosh to that.
Speaker 3: When it goes even harder on the chorus and it's kind of got this like hip shaking rock and roll thing, but it's so venomous.
Speaker 4: It's like that five Corporation and the voice. I was like, I hate the world like that.
Speaker 3: That lyric was just gonna like fucking hell, like if you can sing that is like that is just the most bleak something thing ever.
Speaker 4: But it's like again, like.
Speaker 3: Doing that over a song that fucking rocks, like on your hands is so like again, it's such a like weird balancing act to pull off, and that they're just so masterful at it on this album.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, it's it's it's so well, that's a really sticky song. But that again, that's kind of totalitarian sound. I was describing implant You've got gross, you know, and this like really prominent bassline as well, it's all kind of sort of jelly limbed. It's something that you can kind of dance to in the rhythm section, but the synth background over it, it's like, oh, something is wrong here, something really malevolent is.
Speaker 2: A foot here. And then you know jazz, you don't want to pretend you don't want to fucking like, how does a man someone that?
Speaker 1: It makes the death of retroto a bit sound like like he kind of was saving his energy somehow, Like it's how does he have that much pure vitriotic lung capacity to do that? Like this specific album, I think you know you mentioned Pattern earlier. Jack Coleman is on that level, if not better, right, And this specific album should be mentioned much more often in the greatest heavy music vocal performances of all time, Like you just want to cower and hide for every second he's opening his mouth.
Speaker 3: No, I a hundred agree again like implant, you know, because it starts a bit more like minimalist after Asteroid, with the kind of like dark ambient Simpson kind of like the bass kind of balancing to be down quite lski. But then when he fucking goes off on that chorus, and when you time to get to the final chorus, the.
Speaker 4: Gods and stick.
Speaker 2: And his voice when he goes his voice cracks a little bit.
Speaker 1: It might be the most like incensed indignant anyone's ever sounded on a record that specific moment. It's like he can't actually contain the rape.
Speaker 3: Which is like he's playing characters aback the sometime the moments where like you can just feel his pure bitterness and hatred for forced control kind of like compliance everyone more obey all that sort of thing. And again like this isn't like fucking obe I hope you have a lovely day, kind of like this is like actually like cutting into the point being like again I agree. I'm like, I'm surprised I don't see this kind of performance held in more more frequently outside of the people who like could clearly worship the ground killing joke walk On, which should be a lot more people evidently, but this is one of those.
Speaker 4: IMS was like, God, I wish i'd heard this sooner.
Speaker 3: I got around to this album in particular sooner because I'm I'm every second this I think is just masterful.
Speaker 2: Oh I think the song that for me and in a very different way, but takes it up so that this album has one of my favorite incensed rock performances ever, is when he gets to You'll Never Get to Me, which has you can tell it's the same guy, but the approach is almost unrecognizable, where that fury and anger that again we're sort of running out of superlatives to describe how insensity sounds for much of this record. When that sort of reaches a breaking point and all that's left is this, I don't I don't even know. I don't know what that feeling is, where it's like that sort of pushing back but sort of exhausted and devastated, and then capturing that and putting that in the I guess what you'd call it. The close Things were ballad on the song on the record, it's especially sequenced the way it is in the record, It is so powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that that kind of flip side of you know, to unintentionally quote idol joys and active resistance, right, and this sort of booming colleidoscopic sound of like you know, rock dub and industrial and stuff. Something that Kevin Drake really excelling is making that feel really spiritual and stirring as well. And that's an insane jazz coln performance to still be at full gurgling bellow and making it sound like happy and beautiful at the same time. I love like the house that Pain built. At the end, he sounds like he's had like a numbing injection at the dentists in his mouth and he's.
Speaker 2: Just slurring all over that track. It's really left the center great.
Speaker 1: And again what is quite a you know, you think about the album, you think it's quite you know, focused on primitivism and this sort of like you know, repetitive sort of violence. I guess maybe compared to some of their other albums, which dart around more, there's still like a really out there mix of sound. Dark Forces is this really strange mix of like sounds like a PlayStation one Final Fantasy soundtrack, but with this like nightmare suffocation ooze placed around it, where again jazz is literally like gurgling on his fleme at the start and one of those like again complete like slap you moment of clarity choruses with a girl up, wake up, Someone's taking you for a ride part. There's a bonus track Zenen as well, which I really like because it has this kind of like looping, vaguely Middle Eastern kind of guitar feel that makes that sound really booming and heavy where it's if heaviness is intent, this is one of the heaviest albums ever. If Heaviness is in sonics, this is also one of the heaviest albums ever.
Speaker 3: Briefly go back to You'll Never Get to Me like just as a kind of like because again like that sort of thing that kind of like captures the heaviness of the album and makes it because you do get this like moment of like beauty in the middle of it is the calm in the middle of the storm, like where you've kind of like because again you finish that and then you get back to fucking seeing Red and Seeing Red is again just so much more oppressed when heavy, because it's coming off of You'll Never Get to me, but like that song where like it is like how a song with that vocal promance can be described as beautiful is kind of like bizarre because when he on that course where he's doing that kind of like throaty sort of singing, it shouldn't work, but it is.
Speaker 4: It is genuinely uplifting.
Speaker 3: There's a moment like the middle where feels like it's almost too bleak to carry on and you are gonna give up, and then it kind of like comes back around to find that like final bit of resist that it's so stirring and them kind of like, ah, maybe it is gonna be all right, And then you get seeing Red and it's kind of like, oh yeah, everyone's just trying to sort of turn a blind eye to the war being raised around you, and you're just going to get dragged along for it, and.
Speaker 4: Eventually it's going to you know, consume you, and there's like oh yeah, there we go.
Speaker 3: There is that just kind of like devastating heaviness being delivered in every intent, and it just again it just then carries on through the record and you're through those bonus tracks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like you know, Death and Resurrection Show total invasion, asteroid, implant blood in your hands, loose cannon. You'll never get to be like that. If it's only to say that that is the best, you know, passage of killing Joke's career. I could hear the argument, you know, it's not even the last time they were that good, because you know, the albums they hit really started. This one Post from the Basements of Hell. Absolute Descent is you know, more kind of dynamic and colorful than this one, and it is also basically that good all the way through. I really love Pylon, the last one they did when that one came out, and it's just staggering that they could rock up every.
Speaker 2: Time and do that, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think this one it cuts to the core of the matter a little more bluntly and directly than the others, and it just kind of forces you, you know, kind of just going, you know, fucking look at this. But it I mean, there was a rolling stone with you at the time. Apparently that gave this two out of ten. Saying the doom and gloom gets a little oppressive after a while, it's like.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's the point. It's kind of it's on you to deal with that. It is an overwhelming album.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy that I got to catch them, like I've seen them in the past before, but I've got to catch them those couple of times again in the year or so up to Georgie's passing, because as you said, that last time I saw them, which were the Bloodstock Slot sat sobbing to Lamb of God and Randy Blive was on the side of the stage just like visibly awestruck the whole time. The main but I remember from that set is as you say, how just overwhelmingly heavy the Death and Resurrection show was. And oh yeah, Elliott, what's your where would you put this in terms of I mean, let's even just say twenty first century killing joke albums like other other ones in that.
Speaker 2: Later career run, which are also close to your heart. I mean, I do think particularly that three album run of this Sandus in the Basement of Hell and Absolute Descent is incredible, particularly the book ends. This and Absolute Descent would probably be vying for the top spot of the twenty first century, but maybe just because I'm be listening to this all week, I think This might just pip it for the best one because the sheer sensation of it is quite unlike not just anything else in their career, but maybe any other band I've ever heard. It's not quite the same as things like Godflesh or Early Swans or like the other touch points we found for it. It's I mean, as far as a band coming back, that's the other thing we've not really spoken out too much like this. This is technically a comeback record. And how many times do you a band come back sounding as motivated and just fired up as this? And it's not their most dynamic record, but the sheer that the feeling it gives me at its peaks, which is basically throughout, is something that I nearly find anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all those huge bands that you're talking about, who are again like Ragent's Machine, System of Down or whatever, they didn't last forty.
Speaker 2: Years of being that good. That's fucking crazy that they were this.
Speaker 1: And more, you know, But for I mean, like fucking hell, killing joke, a better four piece British band than the Beatles. There's no good reason for you to have said that, but I did.
Speaker 2: Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Sunny Day Real Estate Diary is third up in our more kind of alternative leaning slots. We are going here to I think one of the album's most uniquely synonymous with nineties Emo. I guess let's just sort of state that up top. I suppose is this like the nineties Emo album not necessarily the best or your favorite, but like the type species if you will, for what that has a scene was.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it's kind of seen as like is like second wave email whatever, like that sort of thing. Yeah, it is one of those kind of like because we obviously we talked about American football like last around this time last year, and what that was one of those people and this is kind of like, I guess the sort of precursor, kind of like birthing the Midwestern emos ort thing, even though not a Midwestern band, but you know, so, I guess it is like in a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: It is one of the sort of the definitive nineties EMAO albums. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm probably not enough of an expot on this to comment because even at the height of my interest in stuff like this, I never really checked out some real estate, which I kind of look back now and think it's a bit like going, I really like this classic rock and I can't be bothered listening to led Zeppelin. There's really no point like it does sort of seem to be that way, but I always listening to other records, But I do think this is probably the one of the records from that time that continues to be seen as like a touchstone more than any of the other records, even the ones that I might prefer to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean when I think about that scene, for me, the kind of the masterpiece of nineties Emo, closest decade in the form of Jimmy World's Clarity.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then that's the same year as well that you get American Football's LP, right, So that's five years removed from this, those two moments, and again you know, doing the American Football one we did last year in the kind of similar pre Outbreak festival slot that we're doing here, where certain their real estate are going to be marking their arrival to the UK this summer after you know, god knows how long we're here in nineteen ninety four, and when we think about EMO as it was in the mid nineties, which is again almost arguably when it was kind of becoming like EMO is almost becoming like its own distinct scene and culture, the albums that revolutionize things and kind of form those building blocks. There are lots of names that get kind of passed around a lot, you know, that's you know, Taxes, the Reason, the Promise, Ring, Captain, Jazz, Braid, whatever. But I don't know if there is one single album that kind of acts as your representative bible for that as Diaries. I mean, it's literally fucking called Diary, right. How much more second wave emo could you get than an album being the bible for the scene being very Diary.
Speaker 3: I mean that's one of it's one of it's like is it one that you look It's like maybe it's not like the best one or that, but it is just so pivotal to the development of the sound and kind of like it lays down so much that so many bands like Becase. I mean, this is the first like real emo album like I probably listened to after like again being into you know, my two thousands emo and then kind of be like, oh, that's not that's not emo.
Speaker 4: You should check out this. And I was, and it was like I was like, oh, okay, yeah, fair Fox, Like fuck, this is this fucking me.
Speaker 3: I mean, the first time I ever heard this was seven was on one of the Guitar Hero games. Yeah, that was the first exposure. That's a fucking banger, to be.
Speaker 4: Fair, and you're gonna personally.
Speaker 3: It's some long Guitar Hero probably will be that one, but this was kind of like my first exposure to what proper EMAI is.
Speaker 4: Like then, like like again I.
Speaker 3: Like to meet Order had actually gone into clarity at that point and then kind of like got clarity all afterwards.
Speaker 4: But then it does just feel like the kind of like.
Speaker 3: Every band that kind of came after is took something from Diary and would continue to do so through the two thousands, where there are some things you go like, well, yeah, that's you know, is pick any two thousands like fake emo wherever you want to sort of like layman band as and they can kind of take them from it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just think I think we need to really zero in specifically on the point in time because like that the list of other sort of you know, you know, cult whatever second wave emo bands I just kind of mentioned in passing most of them are releasing their debuts around kind of ninety five to ninety six, and I think this is an album that you know, It's released only about a month after Kirk Cobain died, right, I guess recorded while he's still alive. And you know they are from Seattle rather than the Midwest like most of the band that the un inspire. So we are so close here to the kind of the very peak of grunt and you know, the kind of alternative rock explosion of the early nineties, and it's it's one of those fascinating moments in the history of rock where a certain chapter of history kind of so clearly comes to an end like that, right, you know, the end of Nirvana and the end of the Grund Dream and all of that stuff, and you're almost you're looking around to like, Okay, what is here that is going to kind of grab the wheel and move forward? And when that specific moment you think about you know, you've got Dookie and you've got the Corn debut that year that both kind of are going to create huge, like mainstream movements, But what about the underground of alternative rock? You know, what does that become in the kind of post grunge years, you know, and if you're looking around for a template of something that exists in nineteen ninety four, for alternative rock that is more considered and sensitive. You know, it's not trying to just make teenagers jump up and down, but it's been kind of more delicate about it and its artistry. There's an argument of all those ninety four albums that this is the kind of the template, and it's it's kind of amazing hearing as thinking it's ninety ninety four in a weird way. If it was just one year later, if this had, you know, the release date said in nineteen ninety five, I wouldn't question it. But there's just something about that weirdier one year difference and thinking about them being like part of the Seattle group of bands I guess, you know, forming and playing around the same area that like I know, the Screaming Tree, Temple of the Dog or whatever. About it's kind of brain breaking thinking outside of their real estate as it's like isolated innovative thing in and around like you know, peak grunge.
Speaker 3: It feels like if like grunge hadn't blown up like or like exploded and like all come crashing down, that they maybe would have been considered like a grunge band. They probably would have been lumved him with that if if it hadn't all like collapsed in that year with like the end of the Varner.
Speaker 4: So like, I mean, that's one of the interesting things about it.
Speaker 3: But I guess because the grunge scene had kind of just collapsed in itself, and again, like what is grunge?
Speaker 4: All the bands sounded differently blah blah blah blah blah. We've had that discussion before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they kind of like find their own kind of niche of like there is the you know, things that relate to some of the grunge bands.
Speaker 4: There's also things about this that you can relate to.
Speaker 3: You know, there's bitically like post hardcore and kind of you can kind of like kind of through line into that and hardcore. This is this is when the sort of ninety them bands are like, yeah, this is this has links to to Fugazi and sort of like that sort of like that that world, as well as as the kind of like super delicate soft stuff. So I think that's why again, because it has that spiky side with the delicate inspection, it becomes a kind of like definitive thing for what EMO is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's that question of you know, what is that you know what is grunge or whatever? When does old rock become emo? When do's post hardcore become emo? Because you're right, there are clear links here to obviously, you know, the kind of the rights of Spring, you know, Embrace stuff. In the early days of emo. There's bands around during those grunge years, like I guess, like Jawbreaker and stuff.
Speaker 2: It almost like flipped between like yeah.
Speaker 1: They kind of flip between the periphery of those things, or even like you know, you go obviously a couple of years later, like is Pinkerton an emo album? I mean, Diary really believe it on not the same day as the Blue album, but it really feels like one of those albums is obviously like a a pop culture sensation, and one of them is more like a an underground kind of bible. I think Diary is maybe the album where you just put it on and you go, that's emo. You know, like what we in the modern day thing is definitively emo, not necessarily even there are ties to it to post hardcore, to alternative rock, whatever. The first word that comes into your mouth when you hear this is is emo. I mean, bizarrely, I think emo almost mirrors a little bit black metal in terms of you've got the first wave sort of slightly disparate stuff, and then the second wave stuff where it kind of consolidates into.
Speaker 2: What we know as the thing.
Speaker 1: And this is like to Emo, what a blaze in the northern sky is to secrebate black metal. You know, it's the moment where you go, that's the thing, that's a movement has arrived unto itself, rather this kind of desperately separated stuff. Yeah, I think this is I'm not again, I'm not the expert on this field, but I do think this is one of the more ahead of its time sounding records of the nineties.
Speaker 2: There's a few cases like this. It's like the Violent Fems are a band who you listen to their first record and you just think, oh, that's ninety ninety two when you find it from nineteen eighty three and it just doesn't fit in your brain. Yeah, that thing you said earlierbout it this being ninety ninety four as opposed to ninety five or ninety six. I don't know why that still strikes me as odd, but it does. And I think it's because it's not some technological marvel. It's not something that they were able to do with budget or like sort of you know, they weren't free of constraints that other bands suffered, but they just sort of arrived at the combining of all the influencers who've spoken about, like the rights of Spring and the Fugazi rim Smashing Pumpkins or all that, the stuff that the post rock that I've been around at this time, Combining all those things, they seem to just get to it first, which can't really be accounted for with anything else other than just pure ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, for all the significant status this album has, it's not one that I especially reach for very often or I've spent that many hours in totality, you know, listening to I'm not especially a Midwest emo kind of guy. And like I said, the stuff sort of relates to this now that I really love the most. Maybe comes a few years down the line, but you know, Sam, considering, you know, your excitement around you know this, and suddenly everyone's coming back to the UK and you're suggest to do this and stuff, you must be a big fan.
Speaker 2: Of this record.
Speaker 3: I mean, like again, like everyone beyond this album, I don't mind. I fucking love this album. I think this album is just kind of like again one of those like what is nineties emo? And I hit some and it gives it gives me a thing again. It's you know, it's got those kind of like really soft, quiet, quite naive, kind of like introspective kind of like guy writing in these diary like sort of moments. It's got kind of like spikier, angrier moments. It's like it kind of just hits on all the things I want. And like seven as an opener, it's kind of just like the perfect kind of like entry point into what this kind of like new world of second wave, Midwestern night or whatever you want to label it as, that kind of world of emo where it is got this like really bouncy, dexterious rift. There's some actual bite to it. The drums clatter about almost hilariously so on this album at times, like and it's just like it's jagged and bitter, but it's sad and like kind of like soft and tender at the same time. And there are all the kind of things when I for this sort of album, it just hits with those sweet spots for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Elliott, you've kind of said as much a half of the times that this is probably similar to me an album that you've heard and are aware of, but not in heavy rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's just a matter of getting to it slightly. I think that's really the only reason for me. The wings of emo that I'm more interested in are either the more abstract angular stuff, you know, like American football, this Memberment Plan, camn Jazz, that sort of thing, or the likes of Jimmy World Gets Up kids, who I think have the best emo album maybe ever. But what I do like about this one is the way they're able to straddle those two things. Like they're not strictly a meditative, soft kind of a bit more experimental email band like some of the ones I mentioned, but they do have that side to them, and they also have really catchy songs. And I think that's maybe why I was able to get to this sort of later in life, because I think there's without talking it down, I do think like some of the bands in this scene and in stuff like pop punk, it is a matter of you can miss the boat on them. I mean, like, I can't imagine there many people who get into like Blink on eight two in their thirties and they just become one of their favorite bands. But it's like, if you find them at the right time, they can be one of your favorite bands forever. I kind of wondered that because I only got into this record maybe like five years ago. I think that's when I first checked out, which was a while after I initially got into this style of music. I kind of thought, oh, maybe I just won't have formed the same attachment to it. And that's not say I have, but I think I admire this record a great deal, even if I don't reach for it all that often.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is a record where it's one of those where it's particularly if you are an emo fan and maybe your primary listen to stuff from you know that's like, you know, four or five years after this and then going forward in the twenty fifth century, it's be an alum where you go back to it and go, oh, you know, this is almost like the genesis of so much of that stuff. The flip sidea is you know, you were saying the things you prefer are almost like, you know, stuff that's kind of a bit more, you know, kind of slightly avant gard leaning about it, or stuff that is more direct and catchy about it. I think this is an album which pioneers things that arguably are improved and certainly advanced by some of the stuff that comes after. And that's why again, like I said, some of the bands, like you know, whether it be a GM Meet World or you know, a fucking Apple Sea Cast or whatever, like a few years later, I think have advanced some of the stuff that is on this record. And it's almost kind of a record where I think it kind of like it does what it needs to do in like the first three four tracks and it's like the first like three songs you've almost got like these are templates for kinds of emo song going forward, and then the rest of the album just sort of like you know, just meander's around a little bit, playing with you know, similar kinds of ideas. I think this is a record that is an undeniable classic record in terms of its like significance and place on the timeline. I wouldn't say it's personally close to being like the best emo record or a mark piece of the genre. It's a landmark more than it is a masterpiece, right, is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: I mean that it's considered into its legscyo because mean that's correct. There are like things that this album lays out that bands do. They go on to write more kind of like intricate songs, you know, like like except Miracle, They're gonna do Never Meant, which like really plays with the melodic guitar texts sort of stuff, and that whole album where that goes into the weird kind of like expand stuff with the trumpets and then you do get you know, Jimmy well To on Cloudy start to get there and then kind of like go full and like we're writing the pop emo songs that can like and like like gab Kids on something to write home about, Like that is like that that paving bodyment of like pop punk emo kind of just like writing hit songs. But for me, this album, like it just feels it's so important to like even again like the revival emo of the of the tweety Tens, you don't get cover without encircles, like like like any of that kind of like outbreak adjacent emo sort of revival stuff that like all that all of those sort of bands like Your Basement g Title Fights sit as a and at that point like they all so clearly worship out the order of this album in particular and the things they borrow from. And I agree, Like if you want to say, you know, the first three songs in seven in Circles and Song about an Angel kind of like just nail exactly what this album is, and then you kind of get just variants on those sort of sits themes for this album for the most part. I mean, that's you know, a fair assessment. But at the same time, I love that sound. I can just you know, sit in it and just be like, yeah, just give me more of that. Those like those guitar parts, those like really lush sort of sounds, the vocals where they're barely audible at times because he's kind of just like whispering into the microphone. Yeah the boy, he's gonna shout something out like a few seconds later, like I'll just lap it all up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I think I think the first like three four songs on this are the essential, you know, landmark ones. But the whole record is a like, you know, it's an easy vibe because it is nailing I think the almost more on the songwriting at times, it's nailing the atmosphere and the mood of like, this is an email record?
Speaker 2: Is I think like to compare it to another record that isn't Blaze in the Northern Sky. That's why you get me to talk about this shit. Well, that thing you just said about it being sort of a ground zero that you could take in either direction and maybe it was improved upon that. It just sprungs to me in my head. That's something a lot of people say about the first Velva Underground record, which is another one where you listen to it and go, how did that come out in nineteen sixty seven? But again, it wasn't a mega cellabet. There's that famous line where you know, fifteen thousand people bought it, every single of them formed a band, and it's like, that's either there rare Moones and the Stooges, or it's the stuff that like Scott Walker would do later.
Speaker 4: Like it.
Speaker 2: There's two pads that go off that fork on that record, and you can go either way. That kind of explains how I feel about this record in the same way where I don't put on that first Vela Underground record and go what a bunch of bangers? Or isn't this most mind bending music ever? You just go. This is like the baking soda that goes into all these different recipes. It's the same sort of thing where I go to this and I I get a kind of I don't know, it's like some sort of subconscious joy from hearing songs that sound like other things I love, even if these aren't my favorite examples of those songs. No, yes, certainly.
Speaker 1: And I do think, you know, a very significant moment in itself for Emo is you know, the lead off track seven being like you know, MTV airplayed and stuff. Because like I said, this is it's essentially grunge era that this is released in.
Speaker 2: Right, People on.
Speaker 1: Masks don't really know what Emo is, right, It's more just like this is a part of the alternative rock boom where the industry are kind of you know, sniffing around anything with a plaid shirt or and a guitar. I mean, like this is on you know, zub Pop, like the og you know, like Nirvana grunge label, and it's a real sort of trojan horse to have, like you know, this flagship track for this particular underground movement getting in the door there as part of the old rock thing. You know, that video must have been so many people's exposure to something sounding like this, and then god knows how many people who saw that video will then be there ready for when like the Promise Ring or whatever then drop their debut album.
Speaker 2: Like a year or two later.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean I think like it's it's it's a great kind of like perpose en capcation of like having a like, honest, Sam, it's the only song that sort of like it as like pure single material, like you can say in Circles as well, but like seven is something that you could just sort of sly, Yeah, this can slot.
Speaker 4: Into the MTV.
Speaker 3: It could be a bit like yeah, like because it is you know, it is bouncy, it's got a chorus that you taste it. Yeah, it's got all those sort of elements. So it kind of works on that, and it's this great kind of like foot in the door moment sort of like if you can go on board of this comes to some because then I think the scenes in the album's brilliant because you get that and then you get in Circles, which like that's where it gets more into the proper sor.
Speaker 4: Of emo thing. You get that big, bright emo riff.
Speaker 3: It's got that just like perfect low energy vibe of like being quite so laid back but sounding Huges and I was just like, ah, the nineties it was just so good. You get the twinkling guitar parts and and and like big answer chorus, and so you kind of it's like if you gumble with them, then you're you're you're well into the world of the record at that point. So that's when you then get to song about an Angel, where you're you're fully in on the sort of the Emo inspection by that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean like you're just sort of saying, you know, the first three songs are almost like these kind of it's a it's a to do step down, like it's it's a lesson in EMO. Right, It's like these are three kind of templates of songs. But going back to seven as the opening one and the kind of the the single of the bunch. You know, it's a great little song and you can hear, you know, the links going back to the kind of again the kind of Mackay stuff, you know, that sort of partner pass away with Emo. But it also sounds, like I said, a little bit like you know, feeder or something that's gonna come and the the sort of you know, it's not across the record really because it does, you know, simmer down a lot more, but it's a kind of like, you know, the urgency in that particular song. I can hear Likeday's full collapse in that Yeah already like it's seven years apart, but that might sort that song might as well be the template for something like understanding in a car crash, right, you just like you up the heaviness of the intensity and it's a similar sort of attack. And you've got you know, the unit are quite busy there. You've got you know, Nate Mendel of course from the Food Fighters is on bass for certainly the real Estate, and the drummer William Goldsmith plays I think on some of the color and the shape as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you drum for Food Fighters for a litle bit after this record when they briefly broke up, like yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is the fun seattle you know, connection there isn't there, but you know, and the emo guitars kind of go into war with each other a little bit. It is again that sort of tangible you know, Discord Records thing that's kind of in a song like that it being platformed at the same time as like grunge and pop punk in nineteen ninety four, but there is Ian mackay in that, you know, and that's.
Speaker 2: Kind of it's sort of subversive. Yeah, and I think you know, something like Round, which is the fourth of the four songs we've sort of mentioned as setting the template so far. Yeah, that kind of sets up the whole wing of mathy angular email that I'm a bit fan of. But in a way that's almost like nursery rhyme simple, like it's it's really catchy, but they wrap it up in a song that's quite obtuse. And one of the most catchy things about the song is also that weird Matthew riff that doesn't feel like it makes any sense the first time you hear it. It's and so many bands would just take that and go, right, we'll do a career of that, like, well, we'll do six seven albums doing that exact thing, thank you very much. And yeah, it's a great example of it, and it's really one of the only times they do it across the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny you say that. I can totally hear like, you know, like never meant or something coming when.
Speaker 3: You hear the big like melodic, clean lead guitar part that is kind of Mathian all over the place, but super catchy and infectious like that. I mean, that song's great even like like almost kind of like breakdown the rift in there. It's again just sort of like type back to the sort of like the post hardcore sort of roots, but it's it's a really fun song round despite being a weird, like kind of out there just built on this like funky guitar line sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's a song that adds a little bit of kind of necessary pep into the record. Yeah, I think at that point in time. But again, opening with a kind of one two of like here is your introduction to EMO. Basically seven into in Circles. Seven is almost like an alternative rock banger. In Circles is so fucking Emo. It's funny you mentioned cover and songs like that because I can hear that you know, the country to the circles, the very down troll exactly how important is I guess so the vocalist Jeremy, how important is it for some of the real Estate's identity and also Emo as a whole that he can't really sing.
Speaker 3: I love it those things again, like because he like his streams are tuneless and kind of just like like, I think it was great is doing this at the same time as we're doing our part one Poison the World Special. I thought the same again, how much of this is on like those first two Poison the World records, which again in a ton of like but it's that same kind of like the weird kind of like sort of timid singing, like awkward screams, and again like that is part of it is because I think like emo has to have a kind of every man qualities. You've got to be relatable, you've got to feel like this guy isn't necessarily a rockstay. He's just like an awkward person who's picked up a guitar and kind of like bearing his soul.
Speaker 4: So when the singing isn't great, I fucking love it. I love the angsty chorus, the weird just kind of like they're like that God, it's.
Speaker 3: All over the place, like there were songs and something that I would describe as like brilliantly tuneless, like and it's all part of the magic of the record for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the fact that the call and response again imagining seeing this outbreak or something you almost can't imagine people singing along to in circles, even though it's like one of their you know, very very biggest songs, But it does work in that particular instance, you know. And then you know, we just took a round off the first three because we mentioned them. Song about an Angel is where you've had in circles, which is a bit more kind of abstract than you know seven. Song about an Angel is where you go, okay, like this this is its own genre now, you know, like that can't be grunged. That's not really post hardcore. It's almost wholly excised the kind of urgency of post hardcore, and it's excited the you know, immediate sort of rock structures of grundeor alternative rock. This is just gonna wander right. The guitar on that doesn't even really play a riff. It's just going to sort of float around itself. Our singer is barely going to form his vocal line into anything coherent or driving. You know. It's just a song for wistfully staring up into the clouds. And that particular sensation is nothing but emo, you know, and that's not necessary to criticize the song. It's quite a compelling piece of music. It's just a very again nineteen eighty four, a very unique kind of idiosyncratic mood at that point in time. But you do imagine that if someone had bought this album here in seven on the TV and then it opens with you know that in Circles, and by the time you've read song about an Angel, it's like an over six minute long just drawn out kind of slowly, you know, just slow bleeding of feeling more than really a conventional rock song.
Speaker 2: It's quite a statement at that point in time.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's it.
Speaker 3: I mean, like someone the Angels always like the test on this album is like the sort of step towards it. But then this a bit where, like I say, softly strums are very pretty delicate guitars that you would not associate with rock music in the slightest like fuzzed up dreamy chorus again, like Job's he's struggling to not go mental on this song. He is like trying to play as reserved as the rest of the band are, which again kind of adds to the slightly ramshackle charm to this record that there is at points, but it does and then again when it does finally build to that big woe and the song actually does pick up, it feels like one of those like real like ah, there it is, moment after you've kind of like drifted along in the kind of like sad introspection. This to me is like, well, I'm like, ah, there isn't a better sound than this when it is when it's when it hits right. And again, I know for a lot of people, this might be just boring song that kind of goes nowhere, But for me, it kind of just nails so many of those sort of things out like what I would want this kind of emo.
Speaker 4: To sound like.
Speaker 2: And I think like it sets up the formula of like you say, they're kind of wandering, soft thing that it does build, but in quite a sussleway. It doesn't build these crashing, deafiniting crescendos like other bands would do and like they would do later in the record. I you know, you listen to a song like that and you go, maybe American football weren't that groundbreaking? Like that thing we're saying about that record where it's amazing how little music there is on it. It's amazing how sparse that record is, considering it's so close connected to the hardcore scene. Song about an Angel, it sets up that style of songwriting. It kind of creates a roadmap for that kind of emo, which considering it's also one of the most popular songs this band has ever made, and that is a deliberately ob choose form of music. Sometimes I just find that really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although it is just worse dating email as record is not interested in, you know, fucking having people skank into it or whatever. I'm not really a huge American football guy, and I do find it largely just sort of like, you know, almost just background music. It really some of the red of the State. They do have that bit of again, the bits where he goes into the yelpie kind of a you know, there are there are moments of kind of crunching heaviness on it that aren't it's not completely absent of that. It's just the songs themselves are not urgent, and the whole album is kind of rickety, like it feels almost like skelet to it. It's it's like a rock album again, you know, nineteen eighth or Seattle whatever that's been like hollowed out and left this sort of like awkward droning shuffle, Like, yeah, Grendel is barely a song. It's almost it feels like an instrumental that happens to have a vocal hook in the middle of it. Like it's really stripped apart and bizarre and quite experimental. And it happens, you know, in threequently you have, you know, songs that do feel like they almost could be this could be a sunny day you know, radio song if you wanted it to be, but they've depressed it into this little hole. And then that almost loops around to being like the cell and the appeal because it is quite pretty and quite heartfelt, well I mean.
Speaker 3: Like Brenda wal because that's when it almost it does almost get a little darker and kind of like the sort of the experimentation, like the sort of the layering of the vocals and the atmosphere's syfetuches. Where again that is something a little bit different to the kind of like quiet minimalism of a bunch of the songs that have come before. It's say like Shadows, which is you get like really sorrowful, delicate fit and then you get this kind of like post hard corruption and that that dynamic push and Paul is one of the things that I love about the record. But Brenda was kind of just like purely just kind of living in this kind of like weird, like atmospheric minimalism that that that gives it like a very distinct favor on the.
Speaker 2: Song on the record.
Speaker 1: And then you your stuff like the Blankets were the stairs as well, which has like acoustic guitars looped in, and you can think again, you know, it's the same time that Navana and Allison Chains and stuff are doing. There's like grungey acoustic songs, but this doesn't feel like all apologies or the Jar of Flip or whatever. It's almost again a little bit more sort of sitting back in the way that you know, the post rock kind of stuff that's associated with emo sort of is.
Speaker 2: I mean that song really my mids me of something that turns in like the second half of the Siamese Dream Like. It has a really appealing melody, the arrangement's great, but the thing you were saying about it feeling kind of hollowed out. The song does sound slightly broken in the in this that it feels like it's players never really get their mojo, and I can only assume that's deliberate.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just part of like Emo, isn't it like or they're going for at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it does. It's it makes it a really interesting record because the band sounds shy but almost fearless as songwriters and like willing to do weird things. Because then you get something like I don't know how you say this flirton squirto yeah yeah, which i'd sort of as far as an idea for a song goes a jazz piano loop that this guy who can't really sing mumbles over, barely getting the words out. It's the sort of thing that could derail a record, but I think, hey, I think it sets up Shadows really well. But it plays into that feeling of I don't want to say weakness, but that's it's a strange thing this where it sounds unconfident and they're willing to try things that are that unusual.
Speaker 1: And then you've got a lot of the following songs kind of you know, like shadows or closes sometimes whenever they are that kind of slow spinning in circles sort of you know Emo days that again, I associate so many songs I guess doing that and sounding like what they you know, sort of set out I think, you know, seven and in circles are you know, great songs and those are your kind of era defining songs to a degree. In terms of this, having those few that really they set up basically everything you need to note about Emo.
Speaker 2: You know, here are the tools. I think it is a.
Speaker 1: Record that then gives those tools to stuff that you know kind of runs with it. But this, I think this is the definitive nineties EMO record in my mind, even if it's not even the best one of that particular decade. I think, like, I don't think this is one of those inarguable you know, it's not rust in peace right, It's not one of those like makes it into the cannon of like objects of perfection rock records ever, But it is you know, kind of like Elliotts saying, being bold enough to go into this sort of unrefined imperfection for a fifty two minute record or something. The song craft can be kind of quite ponderous, but the radical invention of sound and mood is vitally you know, important and I think that's what's what's remarkable about this, Like, you know, it's not the most listenable rock old rock album of this time in terms of, you know, the first couple of songs aside, it's obvious that this was never going to become a blockbuster like never Mind or The Color and the Shape or Bleed American. I mean, like even Pinkerton, right, Pinkerton is like probably uglier and it's its own weird way, more difficult to listen to. But Rivers still knows his way around a melodic has more catchy songs than.
Speaker 2: Than most people do.
Speaker 1: That this kind of actively shuns that after it's got seven out of the way, and so, like you know, personally, my interest does weighing a little bit in the album that goes, But it's kind of the radical dir giness of it that fields quite anti commercial that helps make it really pivotal. It's an album that again it provides those tools, and I think like Static Prevails by Jimmy World a year or two later is almost like what if we had those stargazy vibes of Diary with a whole track list of songs that are as catchy as seven is, But you know, on like vibes alone, convincing an entire subgenre basically to copy them. Yeah, this album is mercurial definitely and earns its place in you know, the kind of the probably more than they even now are actually you know, because they're playing Outbreak they don't even headline it, right, that's so important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think And again I think like a lot of that does come down to this album.
Speaker 3: Like again, I like sort of the albums that follow because but I think none of them feel always kind of like essential to the fabric of the sort of the genre as Diary is.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've heard many people ever speak about anything non Diary.
Speaker 3: People do like it, the real like diehard fans will tell you that the other stuff is right fucking great, But Diary is one where, like again, even like is cross through more casual kind of listeners because it is just an important kind of like sacred text in the formation of what EMO is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the blaze in the northern sky of second wave nineties emo, and with that extreme connection in our minds, we'll go into our fourth and final album, Club, which has not come from nineties Norwegian black metal. It comes from Gorguts and their album Colored Sand. We are ending on one of the kind of legendary, pivotal, influential bands of nineties North American death metal. They're French Canadian this time, rather than you know, New York or Florida but that era of bands. But rather than one of their og classics from that time, as we often tend to do, we are looking at a twenty first century masterpiece, which I guess just allows us to have a slightly different conversation with this one. Elliott, you brought up Gorguts, who did suggest we do Obscurer, which is the game changing one. I switched in Colored Sand because I think in some ways, I think it's even more impressive what they managed to put together here, and I think it just it connects to our our present a little more immediately, I guess. But Gorguts, this album in particular, coming out, I think of as being quite a significant moment for I guess like our generation of death metal fans. But in general, how did you come to them and how do you generally sort of rate Gorguts?
Speaker 2: I fucking love Gorguts. I feel like I probably got into the way a lot of people have is the sort of post goodjear a thing where people in the know would say, oh that these these rifts sound like Gorguts rifts. I've got here, got hear this bad. And then I went and heard Obscura, which I made the connection is obviously the name of a very impressive technical death metal band from who a real moment at the early twenty ten. So it was all it was all lining up in my head. And then I heard that first rift and I went, what the fuck is that? Just in case we do talk about the record another time, we're going to it too, which but one of the most baffling opening riffs on a metal record, and it was I was gonna saying love at first listen, I don't know about that. Maybe love at twenty third listen, we'll say. Eventually I cracked it, and I became slightly obsessed, and we talked about this a lot. But this was a good time, like the early twenty tens, for like great death metal bands, classic death metal bands either putting out some of their best material or coming back and being really good, to the point where I just sort of took it for granted that I would get into a band. And then six months later then have a new album out. I was like, oh, this is just how it works, man, that's cool. And I look back and think I should have cherished it more because it's it's such a baffling time, bafflingly perfect time to get into it and experience all these things. But of those gorg Gots, if they weren't necessary, my favorite, they were the one that I was most up on at the time of this record coming out.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, so this was this coming out was basically sort of around the time that I started to you know, become aware of Gorguts, and I think what you were saying about the comebacks, this is almost the record that, like, I think just started to make people believe that everything was gonna work. You know, the Gorguts album is this good, Everything's gonna be just we just have no reason to question anymore that comeback albums are good. But you know, to kind of earlier context or Gorguts, we are looking at a band who drastically contributed to kind of rewiring the headspace and language of death metal. They are a band who we reference a lot when it comes to the like technical and particularly kind of more avant guard end of death metal, like when we have freaky, twisted and dissonant death metal on the show. Gor Guts are a name who you know, in that particular realm, they will be dropped as much as like Morbid Angel or Cannibal Corks would in like any other form of death metal. Right Sam, you're you know, you've probably heard us say the name a thousand times around albums that you find for.
Speaker 3: Obviously like Shocker, this is the first Gorguts album I've listened to. But I was always like, oh, oh my god, this is all of those bands, like yeah, like I've spent years hating, and twelve or so months, you know, started to come round to like Interrama and if you're a Triumphant and like all.
Speaker 4: That was like, oh, yeah, no, they're Gorguts rifts.
Speaker 3: They're playing those kind of like weird dissonance, sickly but disgustingly heavy rifts.
Speaker 4: So I was like, oh, that's that's the that's the Colored Sands little rifts. They're right there, like cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, this is one where you'll hear all of that. And obviously this is you know, the comeback album, going back to their original run. Their evolution is a really interesting one in terms of listening to their albums in sequence, they start off in the early nineties very heavily indebted to death I think, and then they almost kind of like speed run that sort of progressive evolution where like the fact that they're called Gorguts immediately makes you think that they're like a brutal death mate about a disgorge or something, right, But they very quickly on those early more old school leaning death metal records, the ones that have like the Dan See Grave covers and stuff, they make that kind of pretty slippery and pretty technical, but it's almost like they get the party slightly too late because they're hitting their creative peak in the kind of mid to late nineties. When those early nineties death metal, you know, it's kind of tailing off culturally, so they go quiet for a bit. And then in nineteen ninety eight, probably around one of the lowest periods for death metal again culturally, they drop Obscurer, which is still to this day bewildering, Like it's one of those albums that is genuinely a little brain breaking when you hear it, Like how in the hell did those rifts come to them? You know, it's if you know people thought that death metal invention was in kind of short supply and about a decade at that point into the genre's lifespan. Everything that you could do with those building blocks have been done. They just absolutely just fuck it open like these a tonal you know, discordant riffing style just breaks open the confines of it. And this gives the kind of a slightly more art house genre of end of the genre, which we're very much again still feeling today, a whole new kind of life span on its own. So why aren't we doing Obscurer. It's such a headfuck. I think it's quite heavy going, particularly for a newcomer. Right again, you might hear thank you, Well, yeah, if you were to someone Obscure, go have this. It's so complex and dissonant and just a pile up of like warped broken. It's a record, it's like an hour long when you have to really untangle it. That's also true for this one. But again there are different factors around this that'll kind of come on to. But Gorguts, you know, they had it in them to kind of just take that adventure that they had an Obscurer and harness it. They make one more record in the original run from Wisdom to Hate, which is also wicked a little bit more accessible than Gadura, but sorry, obscure even. But then they're done, and they're one of those bands like at the Gates or like Cynic or someone who make a very big impact on the genre with a pretty small catalog, just a few records that were there to go and be discovered. Then twenty thirteen, suddenly we've got a new Gorguts record, and what the hell could that sound like? You know, like, what could they do with that?
Speaker 2: Sound that?
Speaker 1: And from Wisdom to Hate they already sound like they're from the future.
Speaker 2: What can they do with that? In the you know, the twenty tens.
Speaker 1: And this is where we come on to what you were just saying, Eliot about kind of the hotbed of extreme metal comeback albums that the early twenty tens were. And there's this little pocket of there's Celtic Frosts in the mid two thousands, which is almost like a few years ahead of the game, harbinger of kind of setting the standard for them. Then there's Autopsy a couple of years kind of you know after that, which is just a total joy, particularly concentrated around twenty thirteen twenty fourteen, there's just a flood of them in particularly extreme underground metal, where there's Surgical Steel in twenty thirteen, which is like the blockbuster one, which it felt like people who don't even really mainly listen to extreme metal were kind of aware of Surgical Steel and how good it was. There's the bunch that we did when our twenty fourteen special last year without the Gates and God Flesh and the I Hate God one as well, Like I said, Coloured Sands, this is a release about a month before Surgical Steel. What a fucking what a month that was for old death metal. But in my memory, this is almost like the album that kind of like it pushed the boulder of elation down the hill, but then just kept rolling and rolling through their albums like oh then the Circle Steal happened, and then fucking you know, the Goldflesh album was amazing and then a war reality came. It's it just it kept going and going, and this one just had this era of like, how in the fuck have Gorgut.
Speaker 2: Has done this? Yeah, because I think Surgical Steel like the beautiful thing about it, and one of the reasons I love it so much. Is it really feels like a victory lap for Carcass, Like just as a comparison Swan Song, which is a record which again I love, and I know it's not universally aclaimed, then coming back very good, very good like them coming back and putting out a record that combines so much of their best stuff and just this unbelievable level of songwriting.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It kind of felt like, even if as much as I'd want another Carcass record after that, if that was all they ever did, you'd go fair enough. That's a great bookend on that career. The Gorga thing did feel a bit like, is there an unanswered question in the previous catalog that we might be getting the answer to fifteen years later? And I think of all those extreme metal comebacks you were talking about earlier, and all the classic bands like Dying Fecis, Cannibal Corps, nape On Death putting out unbelievably good records, this is maybe the one of all of them which seems to have the most claimed to be the best by its artist. Where I agree, over a decade later, it's not remotely unusual for people to rank this as the best Gorgets record in a way, where as brilliant as they are, it would be slightly odd if someone said Surgical Still was the best Carcass record, or Torch is the best Cannibal corpse record, or you know, Utilitarians the best nap on death record. Those are some of my face by all of those artists. But Colored Sand seems to hold this place where it's maybe the classic record by a band that already had made its mark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that this is the best Gorguts thing that they've ever done, which is again why I was like, that's kind of push the Colored Sands instead rather than the you know, the original point of Obscure, which is so scrunky and so just like completely innovative. But I think in terms of like honing that into the best thing in their catalog, and I think again the peer in that regard is it's monotheist, right, like this is those are the two where the band come back and you go like, oh, this is It's not just like you're saying a victory lap for at the Gates or Carcass or whatever. This is like the album that you were meant to make that you never got round to do in the in the original run, it's an object of genuine magnificence. This album like taking what you think of as Gorguts that warped style and personality and baking it into something that feels like truly majestic, where it's an album that beyond pure discordant weirdness, also just has like fucking aura. It's incredible colored sands Sam. Yeah, experience with Gorguts, I know, right, I know, I've this is the thing for fucking what twelve years now. I don't completely understand it. It's so huge you've probably been listening to like a few days. It's a lot, but you can marvel at it, can't you.
Speaker 3: So I was a bit like I was like a twenty tens technical death metal album. Oh no, least favorite like clinical Sheeny, lacking in any kind of like human spirit personally too. I was so instant to hear play and then this was like this was where I'd listened to a note of this and knew anything about Gorguts.
Speaker 4: I just was like I just had in my head. I was like twenty tens tech deaf album of god. No, this album rings of status, This album like it has this.
Speaker 3: Is like majesty is the kind of like word or like the great because this is is this slower than Gorguts generally were, because like this is like the tempo.
Speaker 4: Technical Death album.
Speaker 3: It is quite a slow and like weirdly graceful album while still just throwing at some of the most fucked up, twisted, discordant rifts that you can possibly do, like like l and like how you said, like immediately heres this like barrage of insane rifts and then very quickly kind of like moves into a kind of like quite measured and progressive sort of sound. When it goes hard this album, I'm immediately just get swept up in the sort of the frosty of the rifts, and then I'll kind of find bit so I kind of like just marvel at the kind of like stature and majesty of the record. I think it's like a real like again, I'm gonna be wrapping my head around this. I'm like I'm a couple of listens in and I'm sorry for you two who've listening to this album for ten plush years. You've like had everything, but like the sheer weight of the intro to a nocean of wisdom. It's fucking crazy how that song kind of just like you've had this amazing opener and then that song just kind of comes crashing down around you, and I'm just kind of like, what am I fucking listening to here?
Speaker 4: How do I actually like take all this in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: When you say slower, it's an interesting point because I guess, you know, because of it does like blast and stuff like that, but in terms of like slowly metering out its ideas album and.
Speaker 3: Causing barrage with this contant, it does that in like sort of short contained burst, but at hole it feels like it kind.
Speaker 4: Of a slower but more measured and like, yeah, like not reserved, but kind of like fought four ward. It's kind of delivery of that sort.
Speaker 1: Of stuff absolutely, and that again, I think is part of what makes this the particular album that it is within the Gorguts kind of discography, and it's one of the things that you know, we are talking about again heavily technical, discordant, twisty death metal here. In the last twelve years released since this album, there's been a lot of stuff like that that's gained more you know, profile or whatever. And I think it's the extremely few elite bands who have managed to craft that general discordant, dissonant whatever into these kind of larger albums states moments to this degree. So I'm thinking obviously, like you know, Bloodynantation, obviously, yeah, you know Imperio triumphant On, like an Alphavilla or a gold Star Ulcer raight On, like Cutting the Throat of God. Those absolutely yeah, those albums where you think about the kind of the artistry of the whole and not just like, oh, how kind of scrounky and fucked up are these sounds?
Speaker 4: To me?
Speaker 1: That's what again coming back for Coloured Sands, that's what Gorguts like took what they had innovated and turned it into That's where the texture on this album applied to that kind of like warped rotten, you know, weirdo kind of death metal thing, and the soul of it as well, that really exists in this record. It's it's kind of overwhelming, you know, I feel like I'm inside like a millennia old ancient temple buried beneath the sand or something. When I listened to this record, like having my consciousness warped. It's one of the best sounding death metal records of the twenty first century. Like the production on this is god tea for this kind of thing, Like the depth to it, how far back the sound seems to go, and how many layers within this really dense thing you can find within it is astonishing.
Speaker 3: There it's like such an insane vastness to it, simply like the soul I mean it is again it's on it's a there's like a bit of thing his voice actually like cracks in a way that you don't kind of associate with defer there is that those those human imperfections are kind of there and it's not again because again I'm just thinking tech that thats guy find is so clinical and so precise, and again this is you know, insanely technical and like like Telldinky proficient. But there is a kind of like a humanity to it that I sometimes find those albums lack. And that was again what I found really sort of engrossing about the record is that there was a human sort of soul to it, but.
Speaker 2: Just a combination of things all mixing together. And like one of the reasons why you're able to tell when someone is inspired by Gorgas is because nobody quite sounds like them. You know that their brand of death metal is as influenced by like crowd rock as it is Slayer. I mean, on this record, bringing in like ancient folk music and pendetic and riffs that don't crunch or street they're sort of grown at you. It's it's already quite a suffocating sound. And one of the most impressive things about this record is the ability to harness that and yet make it feel so lavish, so like again comparing this job Securer, where it just feels that your head's in a vice, like it's almost hard to breathe when that record's on, and this takes that same thing, the stuff that makes that record special and uses it for like world building, like for creating this like infinitely vast landscape that the record can plain. And it's funny that you mentioned absolutely elsewhere. I I've always seen this record as two halves, like the first four tracks and then the interlude and then yeah, the last four I've always seen as a pair of acts with a mission project like that. I think, like I don't know too much intimately about like the themes or if one song's narrative runs into the next. I just think tonally that they're distinct enough to feel like deliberately struck, to feel like they're deliberately structured in that way. No, they absolutely are.
Speaker 1: And so the main guy in Gorg Sir Luke Lamy, he recruited a totally new lineup basically for this. One of the key guys in it is Colin Marston, who he plays in the really freaky alien BLACKMT band Crellis. He as a producer has become basically like the guy for that whole like artsy New York tech Death kind of thing, Like you know, he does the Emperi Trimphant Records and all that kind of stuff. And this album coming out was almost this was basically the point where I heard that and went what the fuck is that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: And then the following twelve years with all these bands, you build on it and take it in their own directions, but this was like the benchmark of like, oh, this is what progressive. Particularly again, you mentioned the kind of the stuff that you thought Tech Death was is maybe in the prior a couple of years, the stuff I was more familiar with, and then I heard this and it's like, this is a different side of a different, you know a part. This is what something that's that dense and progressive can kind of feel like, and it's not, you know, kind of undynamic. You know that the dynamics of it and the clarity of it is is incredible. The opening rip of Letoire de Monde maybe one of the most like ear catching, ostentatious starts to a death that a record during this decade.
Speaker 2: I think, just.
Speaker 1: It's so immediate and so crushing, but then tellingly, like thirty seconds in it slipped down into this real like shadow zone with that kind of creeping jazzy touch. The strange bass melodies those really like that, the kind of harmonic like pink kind of sound, which whenever I hear them, I really associate them with like this, you know, era of Gorguts, and it creates this incredible like depth of field where again like the low end and the death mold is so heavy, but there's this sort of whole like mystical landscape within it, and there's these really alien melodic passages that bring this sort of like dark majesty to it. Like Ember Voice later on has a really sort of meditative melody that's been baked into this like slithering death metal rift it's such a cool sound, and then you know Forgotten Arrows as well, the real like the sort of the tendrils of that, the guitar melodies and the bas melodies and stuff sort of reach around and coat all of this like brutal death metal, you know, kind of spontaneity. It's it's kind of incomprehensibly detailed. This album, like it is such a again that deconstructing it would just take forever. But the stuff that actually kind of manages to reach out and grab you is really incredible.
Speaker 3: I mean that the song like the Tar Trucks and that kind of really sort of fullish a difficit because you have again to have this like slow burn kind of build for two minutes and then when that kind of like doom riff hits like about two mins in and it all kind of bursts. Is the heaviest fucking thing ever, and they just like twist and contort it, and like like when the drums sort of pick up time and the sort of the second half of the song and it does just kind of like build this mental like you've come from this quite sort of like slowly detailed intro into something that is kind of like blasting, and this solo that is the most like twisted and like mangled guitar solo imaginable, like trying to just sort of battle with this riff that is blasting at the same time. And again it's like the amount of sort of different sounds are pulled from across all these different tracks and kind of like seamlessly tied together where you feel like they should be quite like disparate elements, but they all just become part of this like wider tapestry of sounds that just all just kind of like mesh together in a really engrossing way.
Speaker 2: And this album, to me, managed to strike that balance in fact, fund enough similar to what we say about Rust in Peace, where it's technically super impressive but also a lot of fun to listen to. I find that to be true of this record, even though at times, like emotionally, it can be devastating and sometimes it can be like tortuous, but the amount of fun, quirky, inventive musical ideas, particularly in the first half that just barrel a lot, like that bit in to Demond where it's there's like that you just you've linked that to the negative.
Speaker 1: Hearing and you know, singing his power ballad over these rifts crazy anyway, carry but like the bit in that where there's.
Speaker 2: Like a little staccato harmonica frame that keeps coming back and it sits in this swinging groove, but then it becomes a shuffle each time for what doesn't even feel like a whole bar, And I genuinely don't know how you think of that. And the first onement, I went, what the fuck is going on? But by the time I finally got into like the like the nervous system of the record, and like I started to understand it. It just those moments started to elicit joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the title track, which Sam was mentioning, uh, that creepy clean guitar, it's like, you know, part what sort of a Sugar do with their kind of you know, jazzy clean sections and part what you know, like again ulcer Rate, currently on their most critically acclaimed albums kind of do, and that build into almost like a sort of death doom.
Speaker 2: Gorgot song like it. It's really slow and really heavy.
Speaker 1: And Forgotten Arrows has that whole latter section which is almost like a breakdown for the whole second half of the song where they just hammer on a couple of notes after all that complexity at the start, and it's so suffocating and eye popping, and Sam, you're I'm really glad that you picked up about Luke's vocal as well. Who I think he has one of the most kind of pained roars in death metal, and there's a he's always been an element who kind of he offsets how chin stroke he maybe some of the music could be because he sounds like he's being set on fire, you know, and he's just yelling at you to fucking chuck some water over him. He's like a real violent urgency about him that again really grapples you. In kind of the the heart of the record. You have the like the jackhammer drum precision of Enemies and Compassion later which is kind of head melting, And there's a solo section in that song where it's almost like multiple guitars harmonizing by the sound of it, but almost like a tonally, like they're not really playing a real melody, and it's it's it's actively funny as a sound.
Speaker 3: It's so mental, Like Compassion, it is kind of the most bruising I guess the song on the record like for the first half and there's like a big like swinging rift like three minutes in it's.
Speaker 4: Like she'd be hard. But then yeah, I was like, oh no, so just and what the fuck is going on with that.
Speaker 3: Solo because it's fucking like the way the guitars are just sounding like not like guitars or whatever they're doing to them, like and there's those of my I was like, I'm so glad I've come to this after I finally clicked with Imperial Triumph and that I'm kind of just like on the weird like fucked up sounds. Now it's become like a nice on was like, ah, this is this is where it all comes from, and I like it now this is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm also glad that you picked up on earlier probably like that the thing for me that the main riff in the Nocean of Wisdom around like there's so much like crazy, the like bizarre what.
Speaker 2: Is this stuff?
Speaker 1: It's one of the most perfect death metal riffs of the twenty fifth century. I think it's like again next to Scurge of Iron, you know, just the way that throws into the boon, those opening drum hits and then just dragging you, kicking and screaming down into it like it's sickening, but it grooves, you know, like that is the drums just roll on that double bass so effectively it throws in that little scrape at just the right place for the maximum emphasis. Where again it's this is much heavier and much stranger and much more kind of really tightly wound. But that is the kind of thing that Kajea are gonna go like, yeah, you know, that's that's what we do again, particularly like the first Gajira record has got a ton of gor goes over it. And again this is hearing those sounds where Kajeira have taken those into like sad but true territory. This is that taken into this absolute lightless kind of pit of a sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean one of my favorite things that this style of metal is capable of is when it when it does that thing with as you're sinking into the ground, where these groaning, dissonant riffs that just they almost they almost devote the feeling of falling asleep. An ocean of wisdom has that but still manages to be catchy, grew like you just compared to Scourge of Iron, which is one of the most Caveman Moss songs, reminds me bit of like where the Slime Live from Will Been Angry in that kind of fil Yeah, exactly. It's in that tradition while still feeling like uncomfortable and upsetting, which you know, those songs are very heavy, but they don't quite have that going for them, and Gorga's just like they have an ability to marry those two worlds, which you probably count on one hand the number of bands that have managed that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that's almost the a thing for Again, I do it today when I'm listening to to Ulcerrat or whatever, these kind of bands where it's technical death metal, but I'm almost in a kind of fugue drone state during the during the records, which is I get a part of the key to I think maybe to tapping into and really like, you know, loving them and not going like you know where at the bangers because Ocean of Wisdom is probably the closes thing too that that's a fucking groove riff, but there's also like an Eastern drone through the center of that song where you're talking about the themes of the record earlier. This is a concept album about Tibetan history and mysticism, which I am not knowledgeable at all, but also like who else for the comeback out that's their first time in twelve years. Yeah, whole thing's about Tibet. Sure, whatever you say, mate, but you know that thing of like death metal as an art form, through its innate psychedelia kind of being attuned to, you know, twist it away from these sort of more conventional Western musicality to then communicating with these other kind of ideas. That shit, it's all over death metal today, I think, and it's gorgut to one of the big like again kind of progenitism monoliths of that particular thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean how many sort of bands. Oh there's a kind of like Eastern sort of flavor. Yeah, guitar like the momber that that was that the end of Notion of Wisdom, where you kind of have this like acoustical like some recent soft outro and the way this opening riff and Forgotten Arrows kind of just like picks up on that and just makes it fucking heavy while so sort of like tonally sounding like it's seeking from that.
Speaker 4: And that's again where I.
Speaker 3: Feel like this album like you're out that whole and like the two sides to it almost like two kind of like flowing pieces of music, because you have a like Forgotten Arrows does just kind of blend seamlessly from where Wisdom ends, and it just kind of like it feels like it's doing these kind of like those Eastern ideas without retreading and sort of like sounding uniriginal. It's kind of splicing it in in a really interesting and like dynamic way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Elliott talking about how the record you felt like it was you know, uh deliberately, you know, it's kind of segmented the middle again, the Tibetan kind of arc of the album. The pivotal point is a track called the Battle of Chamder, which is I think meant to represent the kind of like Chinese invasion and then subjugation of Tibetan. Then that the kind of the aftermath of that is what the following song's kind of deal with. That track in twenty thirteen blew my fucking mind because it would be you know, pretty usual to hear a metal record that maybe starts with an intro of like the third thirty seconds of that and it goes into a metal song. But this is a full blown, meticulously composed, just classical strings chamber piece that's about. It's not just an interlude. It's a song in its own right in the heart of the record. And it's certainly it's one of the most incredible orchestral pieces on a metal album that I personally have ever heard.
Speaker 2: I almost have it in mind.
Speaker 1: As like, if you can't make it as integral to the fabric of the album of the Battle of Chando Is, you know, go back and make improvements. This is the one because this is.
Speaker 2: Such a swing.
Speaker 1: They hadn't done that on any of their other albums, you know, like, oh yeah, here's a fucking full on five minute chamber piece.
Speaker 3: So like when this came, I was like, oh, well, they're kind of doing a sort of a symphonic death metal song there. Having that, and then I was gonna like wait for the melts coming I was like, and I was like, oh, okay, no, they're just just.
Speaker 4: It's a full of classical sort of chamber piece. Fair fuck it.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound detached from the record or kind of like jarring and kills the pace. It is that sort of centerpiece to it of kind of like a purely like say, classical piece, and I was like, yeah, this is this is like this caught me off guard. But if you're gonna do it fucking fully commit, don't just have it as a kind of like a minute long all having a little bit of class music interlude. Have it as a fully fleshed out, several minutes long classical interlude that fits the.
Speaker 4: Vibe of the record perfectly.
Speaker 1: I used to listen to this track on its own sometimes if I wasn't listened to the album, Like it's fully it's almost like even sort of John Williams Jaws esque at the very start, but then just climbs and like, yeah, the actual sonic fidelity of those low, ominous kind of strokes of the cello, so like it really is in tune with the low end of the death metal on the album, even though it's not a death metal piece. And melodically it's incredible, and you go, well, they fucking wrote and arrange that, you know, and it's legitimately it's as good as basically any movie score. It's a valid choice to be someone's favorite song on the album, and it's the song that most bands would make the kind of transitionary interlude.
Speaker 2: Well for most metal bands, even a lot of great ones, when they do like, oh, we're gonna have an orchestral piece on the record, it's if it's done by the band, it's typically by an amateur who doesn't spend much time writing classical music. And I'm not an expert on a classicalis I won't claim to be, but quite often it feels like almost more of a box ticking exercise when bands do that sort of thing which just goes, oh, this is what classical music sort of sounds like. So boom boom boom. Make it sound a dramatic nice This is, like, like you say, as good as any movie score. It's elite level at a thing which they hadn't even tried before in this band. And I'm not in a position to say how good this is because I don't know all that much about classical music. But I do know that it's for all five minutes, it's engaging, it's interesting, it's dramatic. It just fulfills its task perfectly. And when I was listening to this, I just thought the guy from Nightwish is taking up half of his band's records doing stuff that is less than ten percent as good as this, and this is like dead center on the comeback record, and then it's back to what Gorguts do. That's almost more impressive than if they'd really really lend if they've got the next half is going to be orchestral. The fact that it's this good for just five minutes is somehow even more baffling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's still to the day, like twelve years on, there's not many things really that have been done on my record, like the Battle of Chandough in you know, metal spheres, and the album after it does, I think become even more suffocating and kind of difficult. I think that the most grueling song of the album is the song Absconders, which is about nine minutes long, and that's the most avoid of light or almost like catchy rifts or melody. That's really it's really heavy going that song, and by the end of the record, you know, reduced to silence, it's become really quite apocalyptic, and that you know, this whole like avant garde dissonant death metal school sort of thing that we talk about on you know, the regular review show. Gorgarts are really you know fathers of that. But this album coming when it did, I think, really, I mean for me personally again, it was kind of like the wake up call for that, but just in general, it's they provided the musical language and the tools for that back in the nineties, and they would be rightly you know, mentioned as a touchstone if that was if they never reunited. But this happening like right before that shit really gained so much steam is really interesting because I don't know how, you know, like how pivotal or inspirational this particular album was in like forming the direction of some of these bands, because you guess a lot of them are like, you know, kind of already underway or already forming or whatever. But it's just sort of poetic that Gorgots come and drop this and then in the next couple of years it's like artificial brain and you know, like Perion in that kind of you know, Colin Master New York scene, they're kind of you know, they just kind of go up and not do and you how bloody temantations starting up, and Catialist and Imperiotriumphant a bit later, and ad Nauseam and ulcer Rate hit their peak by kind of again integrating the atmospheres and melodies and sort of stuff that this is kind of pioneering. It's a really special case of a band who you know, had provided a toolbox couple decades before. You know, like we were saying something they're doing right, but they come back at just the right moment to update it. And somehow the band who had like basically pioneered this kind of avant garde dissonant death metal thing add this like whole new melodic, atmospheric kind of dimension to it, where you go, look that we.
Speaker 2: Still can do more with this, there's still more to it. Well it kind of again and maybe maybe I'm missing something here, but I almost felt this album put to bed that wing of technical death metal that earlier It's time in the Sun, because because in the time where gorgots are away, your necrophages come along and get super popular doing that really dazzling, technically impressive form of technical death metal, and you know, by by the early twentys are obscurer. There's beyond creation. There's like I say, Rings of Saturn, which is really taking that principle in taking it super super far. And then this record comes out and it just felt like the conversation of death metal was no longer about that sort of music. Like those bands kept tracking on and they kept releasing records and they had their fan base or whatever, but that stopped being the cool thing in the stuff that felt like it was pushing the outer limits of death metal because it was like getting faster and getting more technical. That was one thing, but this is it moved more into things of like what ideas can you bring to it? How inventive can you be? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just how much like how much further can you look beyond the horizon of what the genre's offering at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't just like you know, how fast can your hands move? Anymore? It was suddenly like what can you take from? What can you fall them? What like emotional registers? Are you able to hit in your songs?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 2: Like just the final song reduced to silence. And I don't know a lot about what the themes of the record all they threw, but I do remember luking into you talking about this song and it was about how the Tibetan culture has this principle of violence and then they were subjucated, and the question sort of being asked of, like, where did this principle get you? Which is like a really haunting, difficult, like moral quandary, And it's just the sort of thing that you wouldn't think ostensibly a death metal band covers. And it felt like suddenly, at least in the underground, the conversation about this style of music changed, if not necessarily for the first time in this direction, but for the first time in the time I was following it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And I really I think you put it well there. And again I think that the bands who have come through again, some already existed, but almost like it's only the best of the best of this sort of generation that been able to come close to that, And it's also the ones who have taken the principles of that. When you think about whether it be ulcer Rates really just fucking like, you know, a dark night of the soul thing that they kind of are able to do with this sort of thing, or whether it be imperio triumphant, you know, trying to tap into larger ideas around kind of you know, like fucking like wealth and power and all this sort of stuff within what they did, the kind of the world building element of technical death metal. Essentially, this coming out in twenty thirteen was almost like a new foundation for what that could be and the next level brains on display here. The only way that they could follow up this album was to do a one song, thirty three minute EP inspired by an ancient library of knowledge in ninth century bag Dad that was destroyed by the Mongols in the thirteenth century, and it's about the rise and decline of ancient knowledge.
Speaker 2: Sure, throw the horns, Yeah, you've done the Battle of Chando.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do this fucking thing. And the only time I have seen Gorguts was they did a UK run playing that Player These Dust EP before it had come out, and I was sent to review the show, hearing that thirty three minute song for the first time, played live right from and they were really late on stage because they're like bus had broken down or they'd been held up at the Channel Tunnel or something, So they went on at about half ten and I basically saw them do plear These Dust, hearing it for the first time and then left.
Speaker 2: It was very over stimulated. It's fucking mad. Yeah. I remember when that came out and it was like, oh, gorget some of new opinion, Oh that would be cool, and I thought this will be some offcuts from the last record. I presume no thirty three minutes single song. Again, like it's just a level of ambitiousness and betting on yourself, just like single mindedness that I just think it's so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Colored Sounds in hindsight almost becomes like, well, at least've got Ocean of Wisdom, which is a bit of a banger. It's like this fucking over hour long, sprawling nightmare thing is almost like the gateway to get you into these They're mad and I would love for another Gore Guts album to appear. They did go on about like a five six year hiatu from playing shows, but they have been active again more recently, so I hope that's some signs of life and that it ain't done the album that set the standard for the following twelve years and counting of avant garde death metal. If you like any of the records like that that we have reviewed in recent times, you owe it to yourself to hear the Godfathers Gorguts and their album Colored Sands. The next kind of underground album club pick will be snappier.
Speaker 2: That is where we end this one.
Speaker 1: Let's nice that we looked around from Rusting Peace to Colored Sands, even though they're not really related records at all, which just feels synergetic somehow. Thank you very much for being here with us and listening. Please do go and check out these records. If you don't know, and I'm sure you know a rust in Peace, I hope you enjoyed our hour of just like getting so excited talking.
Speaker 2: About that fucking thing.
Speaker 1: But if you have not heard Killing Jokes two thousand and three cell titled if you've never heard the emo again kind of like foundational building block that is diary by somebody of real estate, and you better prep yourself before going into Colored Sands, but it is worth the dive, then we encourage you go and d Thank you very much for listening and being here with us. Ever, thank you to everyone who is here on the Patreon supporting us and keeping us alive doing what we do. We will return with you know, another one of these in time.
Speaker 2: We will return.
Speaker 1: Before then, I guess we better pick up on our poison the well special that Sam mentioned earlier, because we're currently in the middle of that thing. But otherwise yeah, take care of yourselves, everybody, we'll be back.
Speaker 2: Cheers, Asteroid