Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are. Get off our show, idiots.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing or Turlot cry.
Speaker 1: Countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, Goldplay Inn Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Here's Nick coffee? All right, Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome into a Tuesday edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Nick Coffee with you, and I'm not gonna be with you as long as I typically am. Short show today, we've got a women's basketball game coming up. I believe we're out of here at about four fifteen, So we're gonna use the time we have today and make the most of it. At least we're gonna try and don't forget. You can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. We're now one day away, in fact, less than twenty four hours away from getting a chance to see this Louisville basketball team tested for the first time since the Tennessee game. Obviously, we'll continue to talk about that. We're also a day closer to the Governor's Cup game, which I'm trying to check the pulse of both fan bases here, and I think I have a pretty good feel for how the majority of both fan bases feel about this game, and I'm not really sure there's gonna be anything that will change how they view this game before we get to kick off on Saturday. We do have some news that I consider to be pretty big news. A power for job opening up kind of unexpectedly, or maybe it opened up in a surprising way. Mac Brown fired at North Carolina. I think there was some hope that he would walk away or retire and just kind of move on, and he didn't want to do that, so it sounds like they were forced to fire him. I don't know if that's like big news, But again, when a power job opens up and at least one school is willing to say that they are willing to pay the buy out just to make a change, maybe that maybe that influences other programs to do the same thing. It certainly seems like this is going to be an offseason where coaches that typically would have been fired are going to get at least one more year. And the obvious reason for that is the twenty two million dollars these schools are going to have to start paying these athletes directly. I mean, twenty two million is the max, and if you're not committing to the maximum amount of money, I think you're going to fall behind. And the twenty two million is not just going to the football program. Most of it probably will. However, it's twenty two million dollars that you're allowed to disperse among all of your student athletes, so that being an expense that didn't used to exist. And last I checked, twenty two million dollars is a lot of money for any athletic department. It's going to give these guys another year to I guess, salvage their situation. Allow me to once again give you the daily reminder that if you consider yourself somebody that really loves college basketball, and you're not taking advantage of all these great matchups, these great games we've got going on here in November. I mean you're missing out. You are missing out. I mean, yesterday what an insane day, an evening in fact, morning of college basketball. One game tipped off at midnight last night, a crazy finish there. So again, I feel like it's my duty as somebody who loves college basketball, probably more than most. I feel like a lot of you guys are in the same boat. Maybe you're not obsessed with it and you don't nerd out for the sport like I do. However, the proof is there. We watch more college hoops than anybody, and I would encourage you to really look around. Right if you pop open your sports betting app, ESPN app, whatever it may be, you could use good old fashioned Google and just look at the college basketball schedule for the day and tomorrow, and I think you may be prized how awesome the matchups are out there. Now, one result that we talked about yesterday because I completely missed it. I'll be honest with you here. I am claiming I love college basketball and it's such a passion of mine. Yet I have to admit I didn't even know that Yukon and Memphis were playing yesterday. I knew both were in the field for MAUI. But I just I wasn't paying attention that that game actually tipped off while while we were on the air. And as you likely know, Yukon team that has won two consecutive national championships, they did get upset in overtime yesterday against Memphis, and there really had a whole lot of talk about should there be concerns about Yukon, which would be ridiculous. I mean, hey, not a good look to lose to Memphis, who's unranked. But still, I mean, these kind of losses happen, and I don't think anybody'd be shocked if you get to the end of the year and Yukon is the favorite to still win the National championship for the third consecutive time. However, the talk about this is not about again Yukon and their team are really how it happened. It's about Dan Hurley and how he acted, which he was a lunatic. I mean, he was a madman. I mean, he got a technical. You can clearly see some of the things that he was saying to the officials and some of the things he was saying to Penny Hardaway, the Memphis head coach, and you know, his behavior was was wild, and I'd be a liar if I told you that it bothered me and that like I was turned off by it to where I don't want to watch Yukon or that he's you know, he's a disgrace because one, I don't really care how coaches act. To beyond it, I mean, it just doesn't do It doesn't impact me. But it did seem like a different Dan Hurley. Now he's a competitor. He's always kind of been prickly, to put it lightly, that's just kind of his personality. That's his demeanor. And yesterday it was that times thirty. It seems so maybe it's a one off, or maybe this is just how Dan Hurley is going to act now that he is essentially running college basketball. Turns down Kentucky, turns down the Lakers, stays at Yukon could win his third consecutive title. Who knows how many this guy wins when it's all said and done. And he's going to behave in a way that nobody else does and it's gonna bother people. And I'm not saying he will do that, but like, if he does do that, I can't say that I'm gonna be surprised. But to me, the reaction not only from the casuals out there, just college hoops fans talking about it on Twitter or whatnot, but also those who like cover the sport nationally. Like, I think his behavior after that game, I mean, I guess during the gay man after the game, it almost gave people a pass to say what they really think about him. Like he has been on top of the sport for the last couple of years, and he's I mean, he's a made man now. He could retire now and be a legend, just because you determine who's legend, who is legendary by winning national championship. This guy's won two of them. Not many have won more than one. Not many have won won to be honest with you, so like maybe it wasn't cool or acceptable to kind of be anti Danny Hurley because you know, he's the he's the new star in the sport. But I feel like yesterday and even today, like it's been a big talking point and I think a lot of more people dislike him than I realized. But you know, one of the reasons why people dislike him is because he's really really good. He beat your team. He's got back to back national titles and maybe he turned down your school. So I could be getting a little bit ahead of myself because maybe his behavior, his actions, maybe that was something he'll eventually apologize for and we won't see something like that again. But I kind of hope we do. And here's why we all need a villain. Villains are important, and I'm not sure college basketball really has a villain. I mean, coach k kind of felt like that. I mean he was more so just disliked because of you know, he was whiny and you know, the Doukie brand, and honestly because he was really good and successful. I think John Caliperry is a villain in college basketball and has been even going back to his days at Memphis and UMass because you know, teflon John, he did have two final fours vacated, and that made it look like a bad guy. Got to keep in mind college basketball, college sports was so different way back then, and to be fair to him, it never really I mean Marcus Camby and Derreck Rose, I mean, those two things happened and it didn't really become something that stuck with him forever. He went to Kentucky, and he was really really good, won a title, didn't have any NCAA issues, and he was arrogant. So I think he's kind of been a bad guy slash villain. And look, I don't mean any of this on like a personal level. I'm just talking about, you know, from an entertainment perspective, Cal used to just be this coach that people thought was a shady crook because again, what happened with those two guys, Derrick Rose at Memphis and Marcus Camby at UMass. But then he goes to Kentucky and he was really really good from the jump for about what five six years, and he was really really arrogant. And I don't think it was just Louisville fans that found Cal to be the perfect villain because he was that for us. But I think from a college basketball perspective, he really embraced the you're either going to be a diehard Kentucky fan and you're one of us, or you're the enemy and we're gonna do everything we can to make you not like us. Like I think even Kentucky fans would agree that Cali Perry kind of had that vibe for a while. And then you know, he kind of fell off, and I just don't see CAL being relevant enough to be like the villain moving forward in college basketball, and I think Danny Hurley would be great at it. Now, I gotta be honest with you. I don't dislike him, and I don't really have an issue with anything yesterday. I mean, obviously you shouldn't act like that and not expect to get a technical. But I don't know. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, as I mentioned, but I think Danny Hurley could be a great villain that could bring more eyeballs to college basketball if they keep winning at a really high level, and he, you know, continues to give us just a little bit of what we saw yesterday in Maui. So just to heads up, we are going to take a break a little bit earlier than we typically do because we've got cl Brown of the Courier Journals set to join us here on the other side, and I want to make sure I leave as much time as possible with our converce we have each week with cl not only on this Louisville matchup Tomorro against Indiana, but obviously the Governor's Cup game as well. But just quickly some thoughts on my end. I mentioned this just a few minutes ago, that I'm trying to check the temperature, check the pulls of both fan bases, and obviously it's a little bit easier for me to do that on the Louisville side than the Kentucky side. But you know, I don't think either team is overly confident in this matchup. I really don't. I think Louisville fans are fully aware of their team being good enough to beat Kentucky. I mean, it's not a question of Okay, are we can can we do it? It's more so like will you do it? Will you play to your best ability? And if so, they should win this game and it really shouldn't be that tough. But as I've said, I don't Thinkentucky's a one and seven sec team four and seven overall, because they're just lousy when it comes to talent. But either way, eleven games in they've been a lousy team and Louisville should be able to take advantage of that. So as of now Tuesday afternoon, I feel like Louisville fans are confident, but they know that this team could mess around and give the game away. Kind of like they did last year. And I don't want to act like Kentucky didn't make plays needed to win that game at ellen N Cardinal Stadium last year. They did. I mean, Ray Davis had himself a hell of a day. That Special Team's touchdown from Barry and Brown, I mean that was I mean, those were big plays that they made, but Louisville was in control and really shouldn't have have lost the game. Credit to Kentucky for that, but Louisville really just you know gay fans who claim, well, it doesn't matter, we won't beat Kentucky because we'll shoot ourselves in the foot or we won't come ready to play. That's just what happens. Last year's game gives those people more evidence that that may be true, that were cursed, which I don't believe that, but again, last year was the best example of why some fans just think the football gods will never let Louisville beat Kentucky again in football. On the Kentucky side, I do get a sense that they aren't worried that they could play well and beat Louisville because in their mind, Louisville just thinks they're lousy. They play in the ACC, there's no way they could be any good. But they also know their team sucks this year. And I don't care what fan base you are, you're gonna get up for your rival, but you're also going to realize eleven games in like who you are, and they know that they I mean, look, a lot of these fans want Stoops gone, and he's not leaving. I could sense a sneaky quiet confidence from them last year, meaning the Kentucky fans, I don't really get that this year. And again it's because this year they're not nearly as good as they were last year. Because they're that bad this year. And I have got some pushback from Kentucky fans that say that a win against Louisville won't change anything for them when it comes to Mark Stoops. And I'm sure a lot of them believe that and mean that when they say it now. But I say this all the time to both fan bases. Never underestimate and never be ashamed of what this game does for you as a fan base when it comes to the emotional impact. And I don't mean like we're all going to cry ourselves to sleep, but Louisville going eight and four this year most would have said before the season started, Yeah, that kind of feels underwhelming. But again, if you've beat Clemson for the first time, which has already happened, and you finally end this streak to Kentucky even though they're not good this year, I think fans are going to be really happy. And I think Kentucky fans that are already really negative about Mark Stoops and really really just turned off by him being the guy moving forward, they don't feel like the future is really bright with him moving forward. I think their level of frustration and just being done with Mark Stoops, I think it hits a way different level if they lose this game, especially if it's ugly, like I think it'll be louder than it's ever been, louder than people knew possible as far as fans just saying, we're done with this guy, but we'll see, we shall see. All right, quick break, cel Brown or the Courier Journal joins us next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety. All right, welcome back in Coffee and Company, fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety and joining us once again from the Courier Journal, Mister C. L. Brown cl Obviously, I want to get your thoughts on a lot of things, but mostly the matchup tomorrow as the Cards get set to take on this Indiana team in the Battle for Atlantis, and obviously the Governor's Cup game coming up this weekend. But we'll start with hoops when it comes to the two games since the Tennessee game, which, man, it feels like that was months ago, but they've played Bellerman after a ten day break, sluggish start but in up pulling away winning that thing by thirty. And then obviously a game against Winthrop on Friday, where certainly some things that were concerning, but obviously they ended up pulling away and not having a whole lot of trouble down the stretch. It's tough to really know what you learn from those two games just because of the competition. Obviously, this Indiana team is much more closer to Tennessee than who you played in between. But was there anything that stood out to you that you feel like was a sign of growth to where when they do get out there against teams like Indiana, they'll be better prepared look better than they did against Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's been a lot of confirmation kind of just the way that they defend and the way that they fight. You know, I think obviously it's a good sign against anybody that they're going to end up playing because it's consistent. You don't really see them get frustrated or get down during the kind of the choppy water parts of the games. They stick to, you know, they stick to the system, They stick to what they've been taught.
Speaker 3: And keep at it.
Speaker 1: There is one thing that kind of.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's a concern I.
Speaker 1: Would go that far, but I think Trucky Hepburn should take a larger role.
Speaker 3: And then in the offense, I think he's got the skill set. I think he's got the experience his more than he does and and kind of I mean.
Speaker 1: Obviously he's gonna make plays for other people consistently, but I just think I think the offense would work better if he was looking for himself a little bit more.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. And he's looked fine throughout the first few games, and I'm somewhat familiar with him from his time at Wisconsin. I remember watching him certainly a good player, but I just don't really feel like he's He hasn't looked uncomfortable, but I also don't feel like he's looked comfortable. I don't know if he's just trying to grasp what is being asked of him, but I think it seems pretty obvious that if he's a little bit more empowered, if you, you know, hand him the key, so to speak. I feel like that could that could you know that that would be a good thing for this team? Have you gotten any sense as to what has kind of kept that from happening, Because I don't think it's just you and I. They kind of feel like, Hey, this guy's got some ability to to create not only for his teammates but for himself. He's a pretty talented player. He's played two years three years or so. I don't know if it was two years or three years in the Big Ten, because I think that's starting to be an obvious thing that a lot of people see, And I'm not really sure if we should expect it to happen or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure. Like I feel like Pat Kelsey empowers all of these guys within the confines of the offense to you know, I don't think he judges over who's taking what shots, but I wonder if I wonder if it's just touching CNA where he's never really been in that role before, to to really try and be a big score and you know, be more of the shot maker in the offense as opposed to just a distributor. And I also think that's probably probably a percentage where it's this is still a very new team, you know, playing with new guys, and him just trying to make sure everybody is getting everybody's eating, everybody's getting into the flow of it, and not wanting to be a ball For lack of a better way to sum it up, I wonder if kind of all of those factors, you know, have have made him play the way he's playing now. But I do think as the season is going on, it's just kind of the more games they get under a belt, the more that they understand what needs to be done and who needs to do what, and maybe we will see those steps start to be taken by CHUCKI Yeppert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think even in it wasn't against a team that you're going to the type of team you're going to face tomorrow in Indiana. But I just think regardless of who is who against, he did some things offensively against Bellerman and at times against Winthrop that I feel like we hadn't seen, you know, consistently. Right, He's kind of getting in his bag a little bit offensively, and all that should do is given more confidence to hopefully then be more aggressive, because I just kind of feel like if Louisville's going to be a team that that can be sniffing for the NCAA tournament, I have a hard time thinking he's not going to be one of the bigger factors, and not just as a guy who's running the show and running your team and getting others involved, but a guy who's also being an offensive weapon for you as well. Now, one thing that has really stood out in these last few games is it really doesn't even have to be from the stat sheet because you can just look at this team that they don't have a big physical presence like a lot of teams have. Indiana's got Umar Balo, who is probably one of the bigger guys in college basketball pound for pound. I mean, I don't know, if you've got to I don't think I don't think there's a perfect scenario to kind of neutralize the advantage that they're going to have when it comes to the physicality department. But what can you mean, This team's not adding anybody, right, even if they get guys healthy. I think obviously Trey Olray can be a big help for you defensively and on the glass, But you know, this team is who it is when it comes to front court players. How would you counter that if you're if you're Pat Kelsey, obviously you can use it to your advantage at times. But we saw against Tennessee, you know, against teams that are big and physical and really want to use that as as you know, use that to their advantage. It's I mean, it didn't work last time out. We saw them play against a team like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, the out school that is for all those guys have.
Speaker 1: Them on the perimeter trying to defend him and make shots and make it to where maybe Mike Woodson has to go smaller or you know, whoever the opponent ends up in the future, like to make them the opponent have to adjust to Louisville's lineup. Because I don't really see a good like you said, they're not adding anybody. I don't really see a good alternative way to try and combat that. It's just going to be something I have to live with, which which brings me to another kind of concern about this team is the rebounding.
Speaker 3: Aspect of it.
Speaker 1: That kind of goes hand in and a lot of times with with having those big front court presents a big front front court president. I think that, uh, they're going to have to do it back committee, and it's something that could end up being a big either an achilles heel for this team or or they could you know, they can.
Speaker 3: Compensate enough of it to get over in games.
Speaker 1: But I think rebounding is going to be a big key moving forward as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's certainly never going to be a strength for him. I wouldn't I wouldn't think, But you just got to figure out how, you know, how much does it hurt you and how much can you can you you know, get better at it. I think you're right, they're going to clearly have to do it by committee, and there are a handful of guys on this team that I feel like when you're looking I think the way Pat Kelsey described it, and he actually said this earlier Dennis press conference. If you look at the back of somebody's cards, their basketball card, you know, what, what's it going to say about them that makes it stand out. I think there's a handful of these guys we're rebounding as a part of it, but I don't know if they've ever really been tasked with being like responsible for the glass. And I think at times you see, you know, it's not like they're not trying, but it's just there's not the instincts to, hey, we got to box out every single guy because we're already physically at a disadvantage on the glass. And hopefully that's something that they do pick up. I think Javon Hadley, you know, I think he's kind of a natural rebounder and I think he works his tail off. That's something he's gifted at, just kind of having a knack for knowing where to be before anybody else. But I also feel like that's kind of concerning if he's your biggest presence on the backboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think was the name I was going to bring up as well in terms of somebody who has has that knack for rebounding. But yeah, if he ends up being the leading rebounder, then that probably.
Speaker 3: Won't vote well for U l and in terms of their numbers and.
Speaker 1: Offense of keeping opponents off the offensive glass as well. So they're definitely going to have to figure that out out, probably sooner.
Speaker 3: Than later, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Cel Brown of the Courier Journal is our guest joining us here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Let's talk about this Indiana team. They've had one decent test South Carolina, who's gone off to a rough start, but it is an SEC team, and I don't know about you. I've watched him a little bit, even before I watched him play. I look at their personnel. I think Mike Woodson did a phenomenal job with this roster. I think he brought back everybody that would you would want to bring back, other than the young man who went in the first round of the draft. The transfer, I can forget his name. He transferred from Oregon. But outside of that, they then went to the portal and I think they got the right pieces. It's still early. Maybe I'm way wrong, but just from a personnel perspective, I really like this this Indiana team, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: I really like the addition of Miles right to that roster. I was a big fan of his last year, and he was one of those guys when they entered a portal.
Speaker 3: I think he was somebody who could.
Speaker 1: Help change transform a team, and I think he having that kind of impact at IU. UH. I still kind of feel like he probably should have added more shooting.
Speaker 3: Like Woodson, I've.
Speaker 1: Never really interacted with him, so I'm not going to profess to be some you know, a savant on IU basketball right now, but I just feel like he's more still in the old school mold of thinking, where oh he's certainly not Yeah, he's not really going to analytics, and he's not really opening up to to really utilizing the three point line. And you know, I don't know if that's gonna end up hurting them or not down the road, But that's the one thing on his roster when he was putting it together that I feel like he probably could have added more shooting than he didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't shoot a ton of threes, but but the ones that you know so far, they're shooting somewhat of a decent percentage. But yeah, I would I would say that's probably not going to end up being a strength of this team, and I guess maybe just kind of thinking out loud here, maybe that could be an advantage for Louisville in this matchup, as if the game is played at their pace and they're able to get off to a good start, I think Indiana will run with them. And I think they've got some good athletes that could could make maybe make it a problem for Louisville, just because there's a lot of talent on this Indiana team. But maybe they get into maybe they get into taking the bait and shooting a bunch of threes like Louisville, who of course wants to do that, And maybe maybe that again wishful thinking on mine as a Louisville fan myself, But yeah, I mean I'm looking now. The numbers are a little misleading because they've got guys shooting forty to fifty something percent, but they've taken like eight shots all year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So it's good when you can get that high percentage, though, when you know if you're.
Speaker 3: Needing it, needing someone to make it.
Speaker 1: I do think with Louisville taking as many as they do, I still for me, I would like to see the right people shooting and I don't think I know case and prior was like thirty five percent last year South Florida. But he's I don't I want to say, don't have the steps in front of me. But he's not shooting it well. And and if I were Pat Kelsey, I wouldn't let him shoot it until he hits a certain clips of consistency in practice, because I don't think it's the right shot for him. Like to me, you got to prove you can make it, like it's not just the shot is open, take it. You know, I only trust a handful of guys on.
Speaker 3: This team shooting threes.
Speaker 1: Of course Ryan Smith would be the number one guy, But you know, I just think prior to shooting threes is if I'm the opposing coach, I'd let him do it all day, and you know he would have to beat me that way.
Speaker 2: You're saying from three point range is not impressive. So far, I'm with you, and I think you know he's going to be the guy that I'll go back to something one of my coaches used to say to some of our guys who if they were open, they would let it. They would just fire away. And you know, he would time's call a time out and say, do you realize there is a reason you are open this? That is what they want you to do. And I kind of think with the way Pat coaches and obviously he's empowering everybody. I mean, honestly, I don't know if there's a guy that technically if it's in like if it's it's if it's within their system and it's a it's you know, it's in rhythm and you got a good decent look. I'm not sure there's anybody he's telling not to shoot. But I would do the exact same thing, because you have guys that can shoot it. But I'm not sure like that's that's what they bring, that's their that's their biggest weapon. In case in Pryor. I mean, he might make some threes this year. He can knock it down every now and then, But you know, if he's going to be a guy that helps Louisville be a tournament caliber team, I don't think it'll because he's knocking down threes. It'll because of everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I will say, I mean I love his game, and you know I wrote a columns saying he should be in the starting lineup, you know, off the top, because he's one of their five bests clearly.
Speaker 3: And brings a lot of energy.
Speaker 1: With what he does. And I will say in his defense because I don't want to say like I'm picking on him, I haven't seen him take bad threes, like just like out of you know, he's not in the flow of the offense, or it's just kind of out of the blue, or he's being selfish or anything like that. I haven't seen him take those kind of threes. But I do think, you know, when it comes back to the stats of it, and when you're not hitting at a high clip, then I don't think you should take them.
Speaker 3: So you know, that's just me.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, And I haven't seen many of them other than against Tennessee whenever it was really tough to see because they were at times having to throw him up because they were just defended so well and shot clock was running out. But this could be a product of maybe why he has shot as many as he has, because there's two that I can think of that were not good shots and he made both of them, and I think that might have you know, that's sometimes guys have one fall like that and it just becomes they just think that's gonna you know, it's gonna always be that way. But look, Case and Pryor should start. I'm with you, and I don't think I mean, if he is paying attention to what a lot of people are saying about him, I don't think. I hope he doesn't see it as anybody picking on him. I think everybody just realizes, hey, there's a lot of good players on this team, but he's somebody that I feel like, again, if Louisvill's in a position late where they're fighting for a spot in the tournament, he's going to have to be. In fact, I'll have this as my last question on basketball before we get to the Governor's Cup game. But doesn't it feel like, you know, the core of this team is going to be Case and Pryor, Terrence Edwards and Chucky Hepburn Like obviously Rain Smith's going to be a big factor. He's super important. We talked about Javon Hadley, and there's other guys that are going to play, and who knows when you get Orin Johnson back in Trey Ora, who knows what that is. But I kind of feel like, as of now, even though it's early, those three are kind of going to be more important maybe than anybody.
Speaker 1: No, I would definitely agree with that. I just think they those are the three I would say who kind of sets the temperature and set the pace for the team and everyone else kind that goes as they as of right now. Who knows if somebody really emerges to change that later. But like with Hadley, I thought he would be one of those guys too, but he really just kind of fits in as more as a more of a utility guy who you feel you feel like you can depend on him.
Speaker 3: But it's not like he's not.
Speaker 1: Really going out and being a trailblazer out there, you know. He's more like just kind of fitting in with his role.
Speaker 2: He's not setting the tone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, totally agree. All right.
Speaker 2: So this Govenor's Cup match up Louisville and Kentucky, two teams that have had really made totally different seasons. To be honest, obviously, both are a little bit underwhelmed, given that expectations for Louisville were higher than where they are right now. Obviously, Kentucky's had one of their worst seasons in the Mark Stoops era. I don't know if there's a result that could happen that would like totally surprise me, because I think Louisville has shown the ability to go beat a Clemson and you know, that win still looks pretty good and it's still something that very few people, very few teams have done in the last decade to beat them at their place on a Saturday night. But they also can come out flat, sleepwalk, and then make all kinds of critical mistakes to lose a game to a team like Stanford Kentucky. They are a team that has been bad. I mean, by by definition winning and losing, they've lost a lot of games. They're one and seven in the SEC. They didn't beat a team at home this year that they didn't pay to come in there and take a butt whooping. But I also know that their talent level is not why they're one and seven in the SEC. I think they're a team that you know, it's what it could have should have. But I think they their fans have a reason to be really upset this year because there's just no reason for them to be this bad as far as their record. So I kind of feel like there's no result that would ultimately surprise me. But as we are getting closer to this matchup, what's your feel for it?
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny. I feel like, as kind of alluded to, Kentucky haven't played well at home against in winnable games like the second game of the year when they played South Carolina, and I think South lines playing head and shoulders about Kentucky at this point.
Speaker 3: But back then we two. You know that's the game you have to win at home if if you're Kentucky, Yes, I think it was.
Speaker 1: And you know you have that game, the Vanderbilt game and Auburn team that hadn't won a game and was kind of reeling when they came in to Lexington. Those three games are all beatable teams, you know, winnable fifty to fifty kind of games. I looked at before the season started as as Kentucky's got to win those, and you know they they laid an egg against South Carolina and Auburn, and you know they they played well enough in that bandy game but still lost that. So I look at those kind of things. I do feel like the strength of this game, the strength matchup is Louisville's offense against UK defense. Those are the best units for each team. So so if we're calling that even then I think the game will come down to what plays Louisville's defense can make against Kentucky's offense. And if it's the Louisville defense that we saw against Pittsburgh, Louisville's gonna win the game. If it's the Louisville defense that played against Stanford.
Speaker 3: Then then to know.
Speaker 1: But also I feel like UK starting a freshman quarterbacks who's never played in this game, even though it is at home, you know, so he does have that bit of an advantage, but you don't know how he's going to react.
Speaker 3: Will he be overwhelmed by the moment.
Speaker 1: You know, We'll see, We'll see how he how that all plays out.
Speaker 3: And I do expect to have some kind of package still to.
Speaker 1: Where he runs one of the other quarterbacks out there, and you know, they do something different just to throw throw U.
Speaker 3: L off the tense.
Speaker 1: But all that being said, I'm taking U of L in that game, both to win in to cover for those who partake, just because I think ultimately they will be able to manufacture points that you know, UK's offense, to me, the UK's offense is let let them down basically the whole season, and I don't think this game will be any different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and putting a new quarterback out there, despite it being a true freshman, I mean, it does give you, I guess, a better chance for your offense to kind of really start fresh and not think about what's happened in the previous eleven games. But the human elements a powerful thing. All it's going to take is maybe, you know, a turnover or something, or just some adversity. Maybe Louisville gets up early, and I think this Kentucky team will be reminded that they've been really underwhelming. I don't want to say they're just going to completely lay down and quit, but that's usually how these kind of things happen. Again, not quitting, but just you know, kind of going through the motions again because you realize, man, this has been it's been such a tough year, and for Louisville. I mean this has really been I mean Louisville for even before Jeff Brohm, I mean even before Sadderfield, during Bobby's last stint. I mean, there were games every year that you just knew you had to account I had to throw in a clunker where they were going to play a game that they shouldn't lose and it was going to happen. That was clearly Stanford. The other three teams they lost to are all good teams, and then from there, I mean they.
Speaker 3: Call playoff teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So you know, it's just I don't think Liwills had a bad year by any means, but you know, it just maybe hasn't. You know, they haven't been able to put it together in all three phases as consistently as you would have liked. Nobody wants them to be perfect, but to be you know, I hate giving teams credit for, you know, doing what they're supposed to do and like not quitting. But I do think for them to show that they what they did in the halftime against Boston College down twenty to nothing kind of felt like the season was crumbling. They bounced back in a major way in the second half and then went on the road and be Clemson. Well then they had one of the most embarrassing collapses you'll ever see in college football at Stanford as far as the very end of that game. Well then they come out and played phenomenal. You couldn't have asked for a better bounce back against Pittsburgh, So I guess it's nice to know that they can do that. I think that is something that a lot of teams probably wouldn't be able to do, to kind of have those setbacks and yet regroup and come out and win. But it also makes you just not really know what you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think we do know what we're gonna get, because, you know, as as maligned as the defense has been, they've really been consistent the second half of the year. If you take away the Stanford game, I feel like the defense has played well. The SMU game was probably a one game that I mean, obviously they allowed forty five against Miami, but he looked at the SMU game where they were out of place and looking at the sideline, and you know, as Bromberville later, maybe maybe the calls were you know, a little too complicated and coming into late and that kind of thing. So that threw everything off. But I felt like they at least got it together after that, Like we weren't seeing kind of the same problems until that Stanford game. But I think that they are closer to what we've seen at their best than what we've seen at their worst. And then I also go to the schedule again, like that's what we're gonna get with the super conferences and these imbalance schedule. I mean Louisville's schedule. They ended up playing you know, Miami, SMU Clinton. Those were the top three offenses in the league. You know, and a lot of teams that whose defenses are ranked higher and everything didn't have to go through that that gauntlet to prove themselves. So some of it you do have to give credit for other teams and having talent too.
Speaker 2: You know, you're absolutely right, Ceel, and I'm glad you said that, because you know, when I think of the defense other than Stanford just kind of being underwhelming and not getting it done, I think of Miami and SMU, Well, those are two of the in Miami's number one in the country in scoring offense and SMUs number five in the country. So you know, it's still wasn't the results you wanted, but you know, most teams were gonna have a tough time, probably a tougher time than you did. Most teams probably wouldn't even even have played those teams within a score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and really I've said this before, but I go back to it. I mean, if two players are overturned, aren't overturned the fumble the SMU had when they were going in for the winning score, well what turned out to be the winning touchdown in that game. If that play isn't overturned and Louisville gets that turnover and gets the ball back and conceivably wins that game, we're talking about a totally different season. Same thing with the Miami scoop and score touchdown that that would have tied that game. I mean, who knows if those plays saying what the way we're talking about Louisville and the way we're talking about their defense, you know, but.
Speaker 3: Happened. So say that again.
Speaker 2: Because it's because you know, for me, it's certainly gonna be a what could have been here because of that. I mean, they were playing really good teams and you know, one play here and there that the referees make the judgment call. I mean, it had a big factor in it. But if you can have your what could have been year not be a terrible year as far as the results, but you still potentially go eight and four. You beat Clemson for the first time ever, you're in the street to Kentucky. I think most louvill fans will will be satisfied and still feel like they've got some real momentum in the in the Jeff brahm Ara. But see all as always, I appreciate you making time for us, my man, and enjoy Thanksgiving with the family, and we'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Brother, all right, you as well. Thanks Mack.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Coffee in Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven ninety. I'm sure if it's no surprise to anyone that we have very little time left here as we wrap up the three o'clock hour. If anything, I'm consistent, it is coffee and company and we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshment Awards program if you haven't already, because you'll save money at the gas pump and will just be better for you. I can't guarantee it, but I need you to trust me. And if you can't trust me, who can you trust? Right? All right, So with the holidays coming up, it is worth reminding you that we will be out on Thursday and Friday, so no programming from us as far as three to six pm on Thanksgiving and of course the day after Thanksgiving. However, we will be here tomorrow and I'm hopeful that they will allow me to start the show as soon as the game ends, so we shall see. There's obviously some people that need to make that decision. I don't get the ability to make that call, but I'm hopeful that we can kind of make it a postgame show combined with our regular show. So I have no clue really what to expect, but I will say this. I mean, I've said it earlier in the week. I was actually on John's show, his Indiana show, talking about the matchup, and I don't expect Louisville to beat Indiana, and I don't think that that's out of line. I mean, if they do win, it won't be the big shock in the world. And I guess the Tennessee loss doesn't look nearly as bad now that we know Tennessee appears to be pretty good. In fact, they look to be really good. For us as fans, this is really a learning experience. There's a lot of first times that we're going to experience in the year. In year one of the Pat Kelc era, they played a really good team in just his second career game as the head coach here, and in that game, it wasn't good. They got throttled, they got humbled, not a good performance. We all know that. In this game against Indiana, it's our first chance to see how they respond. Now, technically, I guess that's not accurate because they did play Bellerman and Winthrop in between, but we all know that's really not the same thing. So again, I kind of look at this as our first chance to see how Louisville responds from something that you know, seemingly happened many months ago. It hadn't been that long, but man, that Tennessee game feels like it was forever ago. So you know, I'm anxious to see where we are, and we'll find out tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. All right, let's wrap up our number one. In fact, this will be our only full hour with you guys today because as I mentioned earlier, we do have a women's college basketball game coming up here before too long. But what I want to do is take a quick time out. We'll start the four o'clock hour and then we'll hand it off to the broadcast team as they get set for coverage. I think that's about four fifteen or so, so we'll see what we can squeeze in in the little time we have left. But I will let you guys hear what Pat Kelsey had to say earlier this afternoon. They arrived yesterday in the Bahamas, and I'm very jealous, obviously, but we heard from both Pat Kelsey and Chucky Hepburn earlier this afternoon as they get set for this matchup with Indiana. So again you'll hear that on the other side as we keep it rolling along right here. Coffee and Company. Philbeth Orton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety