Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles and.
Speaker 3: Orange County and.
Speaker 4: Amy, Okay, it is five o'clock.
Speaker 1: Sorry, didn't mean Neil. Good morning. This is your wake up call for Friday, October fourth. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Glad you're starting your day with us. I hope your day gets off to a better start than mine. I'm feeling a little discombobulated today. I forgot my coffee. I've got it because they have a coffee maker here, but I usually bring it in with me. And then I also forgot my phone. And isn't it weird how we feel lost without our phones. I know it's fine. I've got a computer here, I've got phones here at the radio station, but I don't have my little security blanket. It'll be a good test. I'll be disconnected for like six more hours. Here's what's ahead on this very busy Friday morning wake up call. The union representing forty five thousand striking US DOC workers at East End Gulf Coast Ports has reached a deal to suspend a three day strike until January fifteenth, The two sides will continue negotiations. Dock workers will be back on the job today. The ports have increased their offer to sixty two percent raises for workers over the next six years. The union wants seventy seven percent. Prosecutors in LA say they are reviewing new evidence in the case of the Menendez brothers to determine whether they be serving life sentences. The brothers killed their parents in their mansion in Beverly Hills more than thirty five years ago. The brothers say they were brutally abused and killed their parents in self defense. Vice President Kamala Harris has held a rally with an unlikely ally. Republican Liz Cheney joined Harris at a rally in Wisconsin yesterday, telling the crowd that former President Trump is a threat to democracy. We'll be talking more about this with ABC's Karen Travers in just a couple of minutes. Also coming up on wake up call at the bottom of the hour. This could be the future of rest stops as more and more people make the move to electric vehicles and the future has arrived. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The union representing dock workers at East and Gulf Coast Ports has reached a deal to suspend its strike, not permanently, just till mid January. ABC's Elizabeth Shoolsey says it'll give both sides time to negotiate more.
Speaker 5: One thousand dock workers waft off the job for the first time in nearly fifty years, and since then we have seen fourteen vital ports all along the Eastern Gulf Coast at a virtual standstill.
Speaker 1: Dock workers were striking over pay and also the automation of tasks at thirty six ports stretching from Maine to Texas. The La County DA's office is reviewing the Menendez brother's case following new allegations of sexual abuse from their father. The story of the brothers in the infamous murder trial resurfaced in a Netflix mini series. One of the brother's lawyers, Mark Garrigos, says a letter's been submitted written by Eric Menendez before his parents were killed, and the letter described the abuse at the hands of his father, Jose and it was it's basically gut redshie. The brother is Robo sentenced to life in prison without parole. They have repeatedly appealed their convictions. The city of Norwalk has been formally penalized by Governor Newsom.
Speaker 6: The city's decision to maintain a moratorium on building new homeless shelters in Norwalk had already gotten the governor's attention, but yesterday Knwsom took action, taking away the city's eligibility to receive state funds to support housing and homelessness programs. It had previously accepted twenty nine million dollars. The governor says the city's moratorium is beyond cruel. He also says Norwalk is in violation of state law. Mayor Margarita Rios has said the city wants time to study the impact of homeless shelters on its community before allowing more to be built. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A couple of homeowners in Monrovia say they've got a rather unusual squatter living under their house. Mark Chow says he and his partner were watching a scary movie on Wednesday night when they heard a noise in the basement.
Speaker 7: So we're like, okay, something's under there, So we kind of like tiptoed towards it a little bit, and then I could hear a little more scratching, and then we ran back inside the house.
Speaker 1: The sounds came from a two hundred and fifty pound black bear. Chow tells KTLA the bear was so big it could barely fit through the crawl space door. He says, it's squeezed its way out, destroying the window in the process. The window has been replaced so their squatter doesn't return. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. Karen, an unlikely alliance has emerged.
Speaker 8: Yes Vice President Dick Cheney's daughter Liz Cheney out on the campaign trail yesterday with Vice President Harris. Liz Cheney, of course, is a former Republican congresswoman. She was once the third highest ranking House Republican and she chaired the January sixth Committee. But I mean, she has an incredible Republican pedigree. She has said she was a Republican from when she was a little girl, and now she is voting for a Democrat, and she says she has never done that before, but she is proudly casting her vote for Vice President Harris because, as she put it, yesterday, our republic faces a threat unlike any we have faced before, a former president who attempted to stay in power by unraveling the foundations of our republic by refusing to accept the lawful results of the election. And yesterday in Michigan, so they're in Wisconsin with this campaign message. Yesterday in Michigan, Donald Trump was again saying he won the twenty twenty election, saying that it was rigged and he did in fact win. So just kind of feeding into the message that Kamala Harris and Liz Cheney were pushing out there in an appeal to Republicans or independent saying it's okay if you don't agree with the vice president on everything or anything, get on board because of this specific issue.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I heard part of what Kamala Harris said when she was talking about Liz Cheney, and she's like, we might not agree on much, we might not agree on anything, but let's still join forces.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think if you lined up on paper like a list of issues and went through their positions on it, they're not going to match up. But you know, I think then it says a lot about how passionate Liz Cheney feels about this particular issue and this particular Republican candidate and what this means.
Speaker 1: To her right now.
Speaker 8: And you know, yesterday President, after he got back from Georgia, said that he watched some of her remarks on the plane back and called it one of the most consequential speeches he ever heard. He says, she has character and like her dad, and that while you know, these argued with their dad all the time, he said, he's always admired her courage and her honesty. Kind of a family thing, he said, and that that type of speech doesn't take just political courage, but physical courage to get out there and make such a strong statement.
Speaker 1: Like that, which is interesting again to say, because when you look at the unlikely bedfellows here, I mean, like the Democrats have called Dick Cheney like the new Satan or something like that. It got pretty nasty between.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I covered the two thousand and four campaign as a campaign embed, you know, back with the people that run around with the cameras and they're out there, and I spent about six months on Air Force two with Dick Cheney and Liz Cheney because she was like one of his top advisors then, and I think, you know, if you had said back in two thousand and four that this is where we would be right now, I mean, nobody would believe this, given what his views are were then and what Democrats a thought of him at that time. But that again just underscores how deep of a you know, opposition she has right now to Donald Trump, and how passionate she believes on this specific issue of the threat to democracy here has.
Speaker 1: Got a not another celebrity endorsement.
Speaker 8: Yeah, she did yesterday, not surprising, but Bruce Springsteen officially endorsed her campaign. You know, he's consistently supported Democrats before endorsing President Biden in twenty twenty. He's performed at campaign rallies for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama and John Kerry. But I think it was notable to hear his message yesterday. It wasn't about the economy, It wasn't about you know, the new way forward and what she's going to do on a litany of policy issues. It was again about this democracy message. He says that Donald Trump is the most dangerous candidate for president in his lifetime, and he says he doesn't understand the meaning of this country, its history or what it means to be deeply American.
Speaker 1: Oh we'll see if that message dressed in next Thank you so much, Karen Trevors, have a wonderful weekend, you too, thinks. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LAPD chief Choice he wants more parents whose kids are part of a bike riding mob robbing seven elevens to come forward.
Speaker 11: People saying that they're stealing candy or these small things.
Speaker 12: They are disrupting the way we live every day.
Speaker 1: Three parents so far have turned their kids in after the LAPD released surveillance footage last month. Choices the parents' actions are a sign that the community is heading in the right direction. Fourteen seven elevens have been targeted by the bicycle mob since July. Dozens of firefighters in Orange County have gathered to support a firefighter's transfer to a spinal rehab center following a rollover crash.
Speaker 9: Eight firefighters were injured when their carrier rolled several times after battling a fire that started in Tribucal Canyon. O See Fire Authority Captain tang Win says Andrew Brown is courageously battling us injury.
Speaker 2: That excellence was on full display during the airport fire, as Andrew and the rest of ocfa's at Santi Algo Hancrew put their life on the line to protect life and properties.
Speaker 9: Hand crews Wednesday gathered along Brown's route from Mission Hospital to John Wayne Airport and at the Neural Rehabilitation Center in Colorado. Four firefighters were released shortly after the crash two weeks ago. The others remained in the hospital in Orange County. Corbin Carson k if.
Speaker 1: I news new license plate readers in the San Fernando Valley have helped police make two arrests.
Speaker 7: License plate information help police find two alleged robbers who attacked a woman at a seven to eleven while trying to steal her scooter.
Speaker 1: Our victim was punched in the face by one of the suspects in order to try to take that scooter from her.
Speaker 7: Laped Captain Kathleen Burns says the readers also helped catch a woman who stole a rolex from an elderly man. Officials said yesterday twenty four of the one hundred license plate readers plan for District twelve have been installed so far, the entire one hundred cameras should be up and running by the end of the year.
Speaker 3: In Porter Ranch Blake Trolley, k if I.
Speaker 1: Knews, Iran's Supreme leader says Iran will attack Israel if it needs to. He spoke this morning and led a prayer sermony dedicated part of his speech to praise Hesbelah and Hamas, telling the crowd that Israel will never defeat them. Iran launched nearly two hundred missiles toward Israel on Tuesday in response to Israel killing the leader of Hesbelah. President Biden has had a first hand look at damage from Hurricane Helene in Georgia. He says the federal government will help until everything is restored.
Speaker 13: Before Helen had made landfall, I also immediately improved emergency declarations your governor and others asked for, and so all of us could focus on the first responders and standing up emergency operations centers. That was the focus.
Speaker 1: Biden also toured affected areas in Florida yesterday. We're going to be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan before the top of the hour to get the latest on the aftermath of Hurricane Heleen and it is not good. Another baseball fan has filed a lawsuit over Dodger play show Hey Otani's fifty to fifty ball. A man in Florida claims that he had possession of the historic baseball last month when Otani hit fifty homers and stole fifty bases. Joseph Davidov claims that another fan jumped over the railing and attacked him, causing the ball to fall out of his hand and roll into the hands of Chris Bolanski, who ended up with the ball. An eighteen year old is also suing, claiming the ball belongs to him. Hearing has been set for next week. The ball is being auctioned off its current bid, at least at last check, was one point four six four million dollars. Speaking of baseball, it's time for Dodger playoff baseball at Dodger Stadium as the Dodgers take on the San Diego Padres. Game one of the National League Division series will be played Tomorrow night. First pitch goes out at five point thirty, then Game two will be Sunday night at five. Listen to every playoff game on AM five seventy LA Sports and NHD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LAS Sports powered by Zenschi Sushi, Fast, Fresh and Easy. The port strike on the East and Gulf Coast has ended for now. Forty five thousand DOC workers will return to work today, ending one of the biggest work stoppages in decades, but the deal reached is temporary. The US Maritime Alliance and International Longshoreman's Associations say their agreement extends the current contract through January fifteenth, and that the two sides will continue to negotiate. We're going to get the latest on that with ABC's Jim Ryan coming up before the top of the hour. Former President Trump returns to Butler County, Pennsylvania tomorrow, the same place he was shot in July. Is running mate jd Vance will join him for the rally at the Butler Farms show Grounds, along with Elon Musk, who has endorsed Trump. Looking for some extra work for the holidays, Amazon is staffing up. The company says it's going to hire two hundred and fifty thousand full time, part time and seasonal workers. Three thousand of those jobs in southern California. Might be fun to be an Amazon delivery driver. Especially at the holidays, because people are happy in love receiving packages right right when we let's see six oh five, it's time for handle on the news, and this is interesting. One hundred automatic license plate readers are being installed around the San Fernando Valley. Do we have Jordanah ready? No Jordana yet? Okay, We're waiting to hear from Jordana Miller in Jerusalem. But while we wait, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A hair and makeup artist in La has accused Garth Brooks of rape. She alleges he raped her in a hotel room in twenty nineteen in La and he expected her then to do his hair and makeup after that. The woman's suit, filed yesterday says Brooks exposed himself to her many times and sent explicit texts. Brooks denies the alle gations and has filed a suit of his own, asking a judge to stop the woman from intentional infliction of emotional distress, defamation, and invasion of privacy. I'm all in Santa Anna is being converted into housing, hotel rooms, cafes, shops, restaurants, and a grocery store. Santa Ana's City council voted unanimously on the project this week. It's dubbed related Bristol, which council members say it's going to bring in millions in annual tax revenues. A pediatrician has thanked first responders in San Diego who saved his life after a serious bike crash. Doctor Mike Nelson says fire Station thirty six played a crucial role in his month's long recovery.
Speaker 7: The morning of the crash, I hit my head so hard on the pavement that I blacked out, and I have no memory of the event whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Nelson says. The crash in July led to a skull fracture, a broken bone, broken nose, rather a broken collar, broken shoulder, three broken ribs, and lung Trauma first responders on the scene say they got him to a trauma center within three minutes of getting Unseene. The FDA has ordered Hymns and Hers to stop selling a generic version of a popular weight loss drug. The drug has been in short supply. The FDA says the supply shortage of the GLP one injectable drug has been resolved. Shares of Hymns and Hers fell ten percent in pre market trading on the news that they had to stop selling it. Caitlin Clark has been named w NBA Rookie of the Year in a near unanimous vote. She got sixty six out of sixty seven votes. Clark was the number one pick in the NBA draft and has averaged nineteen point two points and the league best eight point four assists per game while helping the WNBA set attendance records this season. We got her, all right, Jordana, thanks for calling in this morning. We know it's a very busy time for you. Israel is telling more people in Lebanon to get out of their homes.
Speaker 10: That's right. Israel appears to be expanding its ground operation in southern Lebanon, moving from about a mile or a mile and a half from the border further north right, and Israel says the aim is to go in and basically fight, fight it out and remove the rod one fighters. That says, well as elite forces that are older weapons or any the area so that it no longer poses a threat to the Israelian communities in the north of the country.
Speaker 1: Okay, and are both sides still firing at each other. It's just it's a lot of back and forth. We're hearing that Lebanon kind of fired back at Israel for the first time.
Speaker 10: Well, Lebanon every day has been firing on Israel, right, they've been firing. Yesterday they fired about two hundred and thirty missiles and rockets and drones, and today I think the number is somewhere around one hundred already at about three twenty in the afternoon. So it is a continuous back and forth conflict. Hasbala is not letting up, the Israeli armies not letting up. Israel is firing into Beirut with more regularity. Now, yes, there was a targeted strike in the Husbala neighborhood of Beirut, and we've confirmed that the target is the replacement for Hassan Nasralla right, who has taken out the leader of Husbala. His first cousin, Hasham Salafstein, is supposed to take over. And apparently we're still waiting to hear from the Israli army if that targeted assassination was successful and Israel going after reapon depots even in Beirut or by the borders between Lebanon and Syria. So Israel appears to be you know, you know, as aggressive against Hasbala as we've seen the last you know, two weeks now running so.
Speaker 1: Jordana, Are are sirens just going off all the time as this the rockets are being launched back and forth? Or is it only when it's something like what happened earlier this week with Iran firing off the missiles around Israel?
Speaker 10: Right so here in Jerusalem the sirens aren't going off, but I can tell you that every day from early in the morning until late at night, the sirens are going off in northern Israel, that is in and around Haifa, the Galilee, the Golan Heights, Tiberius, those areas we're seeing the sirens go off, you know, every day, you know, maybe a dozen times a day. So it is up in the north of the country. It is for all intentsive purposes, there's another war there.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that it's going near the Goal On Heights. And I'm remembering because I got to go to Israel a few years ago, and you know, we went to like holy sites. Are they hitting anything like that?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 10: Well, so any of the missiles, rockets or drones that are headed towards populated areas are shot down, okay, so and the ones that fall in open areas, they're setting fields on fire. They you know, ruined agricultural fields thousands and thousands of acres in the north, but they haven't really destroyed any holy sites, all right.
Speaker 1: And then with the one year anniversary of the October seventh massive her is just a few days away, what is going on in Gaza now? Because I know we've shifted focus, so we've been talking about the hes Balala Lebanon and the incursion into Lebanon and that kind of stuff for the past couple of weeks. But what's going on now in Gaza.
Speaker 10: Well, there's still some fighting going on in Gaza, and Israel still control the land, I mean Gaza and Egypt and Gaza and Israel to the east and to the north. And there's still thousands of troops on a corridor that splits the northern part of the Gaza sir from the southern part, and there's still troops in Rafa. There's still pockets of fighting against Hama's insurgents, and there's still over one hundred hostages being held by Hamas and we believe that, and the estimate, sadly is only of one hundred and maybe forty at best are still alive. So there's that's a situation in the Gaza strip Is. It's certainly less violent than a month ago because there's less combat, but nonetheless it's still a dangerous place and those Gazas whose fire talks are still on hold. In Israel, there's a lot of questions about whether Yaka Seymour is still alive, the head of Hamas, because no one has heard from him in weeks, but he has not been confirmed dead, and it's believed that you know, at least a dozen of those hostages that are alive are near him to protect him, because the Israelis will not kill him if there's live hostages around him.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, all right, Jordana Miller, thank you as always for the information. We look forward to our next conversation. Have a good weekend. Searchers are combing the remote mountains of North Carolina to try to find people missing and those who need supplies. A week after Hurricane Ane Helen made landfall in the southeastern US, the number of people dead has now topped two hundred and could go higher. Albertson's and Vond's have agreed to pay nearly four million dollars to settle a lawsuit brought by La County District Attorney George Gascone. The DA accused the grocery store chains of false advertising and unfair competition, claiming they charged customers more than their lowest advertised prices. Albertsons and Vonns operate nearly six hundred stores in California. The Dodgers and Padres kick off their National League Division series at Dodgers Stadium tomorrow night. Yes, I'm wearing my Dodger blue today. It'll be the third time the teams have met in the NLDS in the past five season. The Dodgers won the series in twenty twenty two twenty twenty brother The Padres won the best of five series in twenty twenty two. First pitch Tomorrow night goes out at five thirty eight. At six o five, it's handle on the news. La County DA Gascon is taking another look at the convictions of the Menendez brothers who murdered their parents in Beverly Hills thirty five years ago. Add five point fifty dock workers are headed back to work. We'll be getting the latest from ABC's Jim Ryan. So I mentioned that I think the future is here, and here are a couple of examples of that. If you want to play the Jetson's music again, you can because I love it. So there is a neighborhood in a small town of Cortes, Florida, which was hit by the hurricane which came ashore last week. A storm search thank you and that's it. Storm Seurge filled the streets with waste deep water near the new development. The grid lost power, but the new homes stayed dry and the lights stayed on. So why because they built this neighborhood specifically to survive hurricanes. So they spent all this time tweaking designs and making them. And they basically look like three story houses, but the first floor is all concrete. It's made. The first floor is solid concrete. Inside the walls, the builders used two by six lumber instead of two by fours. They have steel straps connecting the floors together to keep them nice and strong. Gaps in anywhere are filled in with foam insulation to make it more waterproof, and then the roof is made of steel and it has raised vertical seams and then solar panels are connected to those seams, so when the heavy winds come in, the solar panels aren't ripped off. The batteries can still charge and they keep their power. So they apparently had this waste deep water, as I mentioned, but they also configured the land around it so that it would drain. So they put in this elaborate drainage system, and all of these houses are fine and there's no damage, which you know, would it be the same in North Carolina that absolutely got devastated by it. But it could be the future of it. It's kind of like how we earthquake proof homes here. They're hurricane proofing homes there, and it seems to have worked in this instance. So that's one case of the future. And here's another. There's a new EV charging station in Santa Anna, and I got Nick here with us because Nick has an EV and this sounds pretty cool. It's got forty charging stations.
Speaker 2: Okay, that sounds incredible because it's always hard to find anything with like maybe more than eight if you're lucky, And.
Speaker 1: So we even went this. We went out to some wildlife preserve last year and we were running low, and so he's looking on his maps where's a charging station, and then we finally found one. And then we decided, well, we've got some time to kill because it takes a while, so we went to find a place that had like a restaurant if we found some hotel that had a charging station, and then like one of them didn't work, so we had to move. I mean, it was a pain in the butt, but we eventually got it done. So this could be very cool. So, as I mentioned, it's got forty charging stations. It has it's called the Row of Charging Center. It's got restrooms, which is a good thing, and then you can also get something to eat or drink. It's basically a mini Gelson's.
Speaker 3: And okay, fancy right, and.
Speaker 1: It's got a lounge and there's also a restaurant restroom for if you're traveling with your pets. Because how long does it take to charge your car?
Speaker 3: It depends.
Speaker 2: So usually if I need so you an EV you usually charge to eighty percent because that helps you maintain the best battery life, and that for me takes about twenty five minutes. If I am all the way down to no battery twenty five minutes, but usually I can top off and it takes between ten and fifteen minutes, so as opposed to when you usually go and are filling up your gas tank where it only takes maybe five minutes seven minutes of the most, it takes me at least ten to fifteen minutes if I need to top off, okay.
Speaker 1: So if you need a full charge though, if you're like running.
Speaker 3: On twenty to twenty five minutes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Twenty to twenty five minutes, okay. And how much does it cost for me?
Speaker 2: Especially this whipe is an electrify America, which is kind of a deal that goes with EVS. Right now, it's free, but usually the cost is between five and eight dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this one, it is going to be a charging they'll charge at the charging station, but it's.
Speaker 3: Okay, So there will be a cost.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's somewhere between forty five cents a killo whata hour and sixty five cents a kilowat hour depending on the time of day. And the average price in California is fifty per cents, so it's right there in line with that.
Speaker 2: And so that's really inexpensive in the scheme of things, and to have a Gelson's and have a nice bougie lounge for your pets.
Speaker 1: That's great, right, And so this the rove station is going to be opening October fifteenth. It's right off the five Freeway in Santa Ana. And then they're saying we're going to offer more of these, and I'm saying this is the future because like you said it, it doesn't take two minutes to charge up. It takes more like twenty or thirty minutes, depending on the charge.
Speaker 2: And it also looks like just I looked at it really quick, and it looks like it has solar panels, so they really covered, which will be even nicer so where you parked your car won't be in the sun. It also looks like at this specific charging station.
Speaker 1: Ah, so that's another thing that you'd think.
Speaker 3: So that's another part, right, that.
Speaker 1: You're just sitting out there and your car's baking while it's charging.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I recall I'm thinking that we're going to see more of these kinds of things because one, it's a revenue generator, so you can maybe get the private sector involved in it. And then I'm thinking of seeing these things like all along Eye five because you know the rest stops that we have, it's just toilets. But wouldn't it be nice if it was like a little place where you could have the pets. Then you could get something to eat or drink or somewhere to chill out while you're charging.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm on board all right. Well, and then once they get them open up, we might have to send you out to this place to check it out since.
Speaker 2: Or it could be out in about when we don't have a holiday season that it's already maybe out and about with any can go out to the road charging station.
Speaker 3: I like, thank you, Okay, we can use my car.
Speaker 1: We'll ride along in Nick's ev Thank you.
Speaker 3: Nick got it.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Pacific Air Show takes off today in Huntington Beach, with some planes landing on a special runway on the beach right by the fans.
Speaker 3: The F twenty two's, the F thirty fives. We've just got about everyfing airplane that you'd want to see.
Speaker 9: Pacific Air Show director Kevin Elliot says fans will see the Thunderbirds, the Microjet Para Commandos, and the Osprey demo, and.
Speaker 6: For the first time we're going to have the B one bomber coming all the way from Edwards Air Force Base.
Speaker 9: Pilot Luke Ticella will land on the beach like he landed on a helipad six hundred feet in the air on top of the world's only seven star hotel in Dubai.
Speaker 10: Hetty Paty is only like eighty seven feet and we are the first people in the war to land an airplane on a elevet.
Speaker 3: That's Hetty pat.
Speaker 9: He says he'll land on the beach so kids can interact with the plane. Aerobatic pilot Michael Gulian is flying the all yellow Extra three thirty sc.
Speaker 6: That will be tumbling and over end in the sky.
Speaker 3: We'll be flying.
Speaker 6: It was of two hundred and fifty miles an hour and then almost one hundred miles an hour backwards.
Speaker 9: The show runs through Sunday at Lionair Museum in Santa Ana. Corbin Carson KFI News.
Speaker 1: If you haven't been out to the Pacific Air Show, it is fabulous. We went last year and it was just so so great. Twenty six members of the La County Sheriff's Office have received the department's Medal of Valor.
Speaker 6: The ceremony in downtown La featured harrowing bodycam footage of what the Sheriff's office called heroic efforts by deputies. Suicides were stopped, people were pulled from burning buildings, and Detective Elliott Ribey was stabbed but still managed to lead deputies to a bad guy.
Speaker 10: I felt like it was like a punch.
Speaker 6: The Medals of Valor and Meritorious Conduct are considered to be the department's highest honors.
Speaker 3: In Downtown LA. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Hurricane Helene has left so many roads unpassable on the East coast. Pack mules are being used to carry supplies in In North Carolina. Volunteer Amanda Schumacher is using mules to get insulin and other goods up mountains to families in need.
Speaker 11: Be able to put four or five mules in a row, you know, with one person leading them, you know they're able to carry one hundred and fifty pounds each to get supplies, which is more effective.
Speaker 1: The death toll from Helene is still going up, with at least two hundred and fifteen people killed across six states. So these scientists must have a really tiny microscope. They've mapped out the entire brain of a fruit fly. The neurobiological research, which is published in the journal Nature, shows more than fifty million connections in their little brains. Scientists say the mapping could prove provide insights into brains across the entire animal kingdom. The brain of a fruit fly is less than four hundredths of an inch wide. Two hundred and fifty four thousand jobs have been added around the US for September. That's up from the one hundred and fifty nine thousand jobs added in August. The Labor Department just made the announcement. Also said the jobless rate also ticked down from four point two to four point one percent. A woman who used to work for country music star Garth Brooks has accused him of raping her on a work trip to la and then another time at his home in Tennessee. She is only identified as Jane Rowe. Brooks denies it and says the woman came up with the story after he refused to pay her millions of dollars. More eyes are going to be on you as you drive around the San Fernando Valley. About one hundred automated license plate readers are being installed in Chatsworth, Granada Hills, North Hills, Northridge, Porter Ranch, Sherwood Forest, and West Hills. Most of the cameras will be mounted on light poles. District twelve council member John Lee says they're going to be used to identify vehicles linked to crimes. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, Kamala Harris had an unlikely ally on the campaign trial a trail rather and you can bet that Bill's going to have a thing or two to say about that. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 11: Jim.
Speaker 1: Dock workers are back on the docks today, but the deal's not done yet.
Speaker 12: It isn't and may not be done until January fifteenth, but at least there's a tentative agreement. You know, the strike lasted for three days. There was a lot of pressure on the two sides to try to get something worked out. The strike, in terms of long Shoreman's Association probably couldn't have come at a worse time, considering that so many people are suffering in the Carolinas. They need supplies in there, and so it's possible the International Longshoreman's Association wasn't getting the kind of public support that it was hoping for. So yesterday we learned of this agreement, a tentative agreement that is to carry the ISLA and the US Maritime Alliance the owner and operator of the ports until January fifteenth, and in the meantime, the dock workers will get a fifty percent wage increase to something like what is that sixty three dollars per hour that puts them in line with the West Coast dock workers.
Speaker 1: So wait what they haven't agreed to any terms yet, or they did agree to some pay terms.
Speaker 12: Call it a casual agreement. You know, it's the dock workers wanted seventy seven percent that kind of a pay increase. The USMX the port owners came back with a sixty two percent. I think I said fifty, but they came back yesterday with a sixty two percent increase. The two sides shook hands, and now the DOC workers are back on the job. One thing they didn't discuss, or one thing that's not part of this agreement, and.
Speaker 1: It's probably what I was just about to ask you to me.
Speaker 12: Yeah, automation, and it's still out there, and the workers want to see that taken out of the equation. You know. It's one thing to have have cranes and the forklifts out there working on the docks, but to have them controlled by robots or by AI, that's the one thing the DOC workers do not want. And it seems as though the USMX, the owners of the ports, that they're digging in.
Speaker 1: On that, which kind of makes sense. I mean, it's really if you just look at it, for me, it looks like it's a really tough position to be in because you can't stop progress, right, It's hard. You hate to see it when it affects jobs. But I mean, like we were, I was talking about this with a friend the other day and we were talking about the minimum wage increase for fast food workers here. Well, they got it passed. That's great, and a bunch of them are losing their jobs now because the fast food places are going more automated.
Speaker 12: Sure, so it's coming, you know, and it's been coming for some time. I remember the first time I walked into a radio station that was automated, like nineteen eighty four, and the station kind of ran itself. It had its own big machine that to put stuff on the air, and thought, well, there goes my career. Forty years later, everything's fine, you know, and still got a job.
Speaker 1: You're still here. Yeah, yeah, hip, Okay, So nobody's sharing about this. We're going to switch over to Hurricane Helen. It's been a week now, and the situation there is just I mean, it's just untenable.
Speaker 3: It's a horrible it really is.
Speaker 12: I mean, something like seven hundred thousand power out of just still across Florida, the Carolinas, Georgia, and up in Virginia as a result of Helene. Who knows how many people might still be cut off from the rest of the world because of how remote it is out there in the Black Hills, the Black Mountains of western North Carolina.
Speaker 1: I just did a story Jim about how they're using mules to get to people.
Speaker 12: Yes, if you're using any means possible to get supplies in their helicopters, mules, jeeps, any kind of vehicle or convenience to get things in there or to get people out, to get evacuees out of there. So that's going on for some time. Tragically, the number of dead has risen above two hundred now, which makes this the deadliest hurricane to hit the US mainland scence Katrina in two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were mentioning the other ways that they're getting help to people. I was watching a show yesterday and they had former NASCAR champion Greg Biff. Well, he's got a helicopter. Yeah, and he's buzzing around there and people are like literally flagging him down. Yeah, and he's stopping to help them. I mean, it's crazy. So the question is like where is FEMA, because we're hearing more and more that they're just they don't have a great presence there. And then Online Security Secretary Mayorka said the FEMA is out of money.
Speaker 12: It's not out of money, but he said that it's going to be tough to make it through the end of this hurricane season that goes through November. First, that it's likely that FEMA will go to Congress and ask for a supplemental spending bill. And I can't imagine that Congress would turn them down. But I think you're right. I mean, people in suffering situations like this like they are in western North Carolina. They're not going to be happy and they won't be satisfied. And so even if FEMA were there in full fource, and you have to assume that they are, it just doesn't look at it. So a lot of this is it falls to other branches. First the military thousand active duty six thousand service out there, and also community groups and people like Biffol, people with helicopters, their own personal ways of helping out. And not to mention the millions of Americans who are making donations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and hopefully they will continue. And like you said, make sure that when you do make your donations to help to the Red Cross, it's Redcross dot org. Don't fall for possibly bad or scam.
Speaker 12: On Redcross dot net, not Redcross dot govor or Redcross dot com. It's red Cross dot Org.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope they get the help they need. It's just it's just mind blowing how bad it is back there. All right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. Have a good weekend.
Speaker 12: All right you too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County District Attorney Gascone says his office is reviewing the case of Eric and Lyle Menendez in light of renewed allegations of sexual abuse by their father. Gascone says his office has a letter written by Eric that outlines the abuse, as well as a second letter from someone else.
Speaker 14: We've also got evidence that was provided by the defense by his lawyers that one of the members of the manul Van alleged that he was molested by the father.
Speaker 1: The brothers were convicted of killing their parents in their mansion in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine. Two people in downtown LA have received a five hundred thousand dollars settlement after being stabbed at a target in twenty twenty two. A twenty four year old woman a nine year old boy sued Target and others, alleging the attackers should not have been able to grab a knife from a display. The settlement resolves claims against the guest security firm. The case against Target is scheduled for trial on the thirty first. United Autoworkers are demanding Carmaker Stilantis fulfill its promise to invest in American jobs. Workers held a rally in Michigan yesterday. UAW President Sean Fain addressed them, saying a potential strike is not out of the question.
Speaker 3: A strike will cripple this company.
Speaker 14: And if we have to strike, it's the Way's decision.
Speaker 12: To do so because they're not honoring their commandment.
Speaker 1: UAW Saystlandis is trying to backtrack on its contractual commitments to build the Dodge Durango in Detroit and reopening assembly plants in Illinois. I used to have a Durango. I love the Dodge Durango. The joke maybe on the New Joker movie, The sequel to the twenty nineteen movie, is expected to come up a bit short at the box office. Joker Folly, how do you say it? Fully? A duh starring Joaquin Phoenix and Lady Gaga, is expected to make fifty to sixty five million dollars in its debut weekend. Well that doesn't sound so bad, but the original Joker made over ninety six million in its first weekend, So the big question will be is part duh a dud? This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland. Weather from KFI sunny with heights in the seventies at the beaches, so a little cooler than yesterday. Upper seventies to mid eighties for Metro LA and in the North County load to mid nineties in the Valleys. Nineties, possibly into the low one hundreds for the Inland Empire and Antelote Valley, warming up a few degrees for the weekend. Hi's in the upper seventies at the coast, eighties to about ninety for Metro LA and Inlando c nineties to low one hundreds for the Valleys in ie mid nineties to right around one hundred in the High Desert. It's sixty five in your Belinda, sixty six in Irvine, sixty one in Pasadena, and sixty four in Santa Monica. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO along with traffic specialist Nick. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You can listen to today's show, or yesterday's show, or the one before that or six months ago you've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.