Speaker 1: Something you should go something you should know. It is brought to you by Genesis Goldira dot com. That is also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan on the Gold Standard. Learn more and get a free Gold and Silver guide at Genesis gooldra dot com. Excited to visit right now with Katie from Almost Home Canine Rescue. And we had a chance to visit with Clay Foley the other day. He's a stand up comic who will be coming to the Sioux Falls area on April twenty sixth at Winter Green acres It's a benefit for a benefit for Almost Home Canine Rescue, and I wanted to visit Katie right now to talk about Almost Home. First of all, how long have you been involved there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So Almost Home Canon Rescue was originally established up in Madison, South Dakota, and we ended up re establishing it down in Sue Falls in dis February of twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Very nice, And let's talk about your mission. What do you guys do at Almost Home Canine Rescue.
Speaker 2: Yes, we help any animals that we can. We're one hundred percent foster based, so we don't have any type of facility. Everything has done in people's homes, so we have to have an open home to be able to help any animal, whether it's a cat or a dog, and we pull I would say probably about ninety five percent of our animals come off a local reservation. We have a transport that goes up. We have a van that was donated by a local bank here in town, and we have a van that goes up, meets out in the Olacoma area every week and brings a load of animals back that are that are needing homes. And as long as we have a foster home available for them, we take them. If not, we network them out to other rescues and shelters in the area to help us place those animals.
Speaker 1: I love that And if somebody listening is going, you know, I would like to get involved. Are you looking for more foster families right now?
Speaker 2: Oh? We are. That's probably our biggest ask right now. The two biggest asks we always have our finances just because it does cost a lot, and our adoption fees really don't cover everything that we put into each animal, but foster homes are probably actually we're probably more desperate for them right now. Always think that, like, hey, if we're willing to pay, and it's like, hey, it's not about always paying for the stuff that the animal needs. It's more of do we have a place for it, just because, like I said, we're not a shelter, so we don't have kennels. Everything has to have a place to actually go. So foster homes are probably our biggest greatest need right now.
Speaker 1: Very nice and if somebody is interested, I'm on the website right now Almost Home Canine Rescue dot com. And when you get out here you can see where you can click to become a foster. There's also other volunteer opportunities. So if you're going I love animals, I would love to do this, but I have a lease where I can't have a pet. That's understandable. You can still get involved. You can still be a huge, huge asset even if you don't get to be one of the foster families. And again all at the same website, Almost Home Canine Rescue dot Com. And another way you can help is to come out and have some fun. At the end of this month, it's the twenty sixth of April, and have you had a chance to go out and check out the Winter Green Acres Yeat. Have you been there?
Speaker 2: I have, Yeah, it is an app beautiful facility.
Speaker 1: I was there a few weeks ago. I had another event there and I get to this place and I'm like, this is so amazing. It's brand new. And when you get to Crook, South Dakota, it's just a little bit north. It's like right on the edge of town. Like when I first was looking for it, I'm going, Okay, did I miss it? Where am I at? So like you drive through Crooks and it's just a little bit on the like I said, the north edge. But it is a brand new, beautiful, amazing facility, And I'm so excited to work with Clay Foley. He's a very funny stand up comic and this is what he specializes in. He's got comedy Toothrescue dot Org. He goes out and works with rescues like Almost Home Canine Rescue, and he helps raise money for great charities that do great things like Almost Home. And you can have a great time on Saturday, April twenty sixth, then come out laugh, have a good time and help donate money to a wonderful organization. Are there specific needs that you have right now? Other than people to foster. Are there other things that people could maybe do to help out well?
Speaker 2: Right now, we have actually a couple different things. So our Facebook page is where we've put most of our communication. We actually are doing an Easter egg hunt right now, where you pay fifty dollars, we will come out and decorate your yard with Easter eggs after everybody goes to bed the night before Easter. We also have we're promoting obviously the comedy show right now, so if you are wanting to sponsor, we're still looking for some business sponsorships for that as well. But also we are selling tables, we're selling individual tickets, and then we always have just kind of like you were saying, not just fosters, but volunteers. We're looking for people to hide the Easter eggs. We're looking for people to drive the rescue van out to Ola, Cooma each week to pick up those animals. So volunteers are always needed on you know, there's different ways to volunteer all the time. It might be us asking for somebody to run down to our veterinarian's office and grab some medications that you know an animal may need. There's dogs that may need a walk in the middle of the day because their foster works longer shift that type of thing. So yes, there's always always something going on that we're needing for needing foster score or volunteer score.
Speaker 1: Very nice and if you would like to volunteer again. The website really easy Almost Home Canine Rescue dot com and on Facebook it's Facebook dot com slash Almost Home Canine Rescue, so very very easy to find. And I look forward to seeing you on the twenty sixth, and again, thank you for letting me be a part of this event. I think it's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're excited to have you John, and we are actually going to also have a raffle and a silent option. We have a lot of awesome baskets and things that have already been knowing it for both of those.
Speaker 1: Again, the event is at Wintergreen Acres, a beautiful facility just on north edge of Crooks. And if you're maybe not from this area or if you don't know where that is, here's a good news. It's like ten to maybe fifteen minutes from Sue Fall, so it's just north of town, not far at all. All of the details can be found at Facebook dot com slash Sunny Radio and Facebook dot com slash Sue Falls Comedy.
Speaker 2: Something you Should Know.
Speaker 1: Something you Should Know is brought to you by Genesis gold Ilay dot Put your retirement plan on the gold Standard. Get a free gold and Silver guide now at Genesis goold r a dot com