Speaker 1: Are heard daily exactly the things that may be said.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC the talk station, A five fifty five ARCD talk station. Brian Thomas fishing here, want a very very happy Friday.
Speaker 3: Every day.
Speaker 2: Knows how much I love my Fridays, and I love him and folks in studio, most notably when they are congress people like Congressman David Taylor Davis in studio to talk about what it's like to be a congressman. He is our newest congressman from the Greater Sin Santi area, representing district COUP, which was former Congressman brad winstro Seed. Brad used to come in all the time.
Speaker 3: David. It's good to have you here. Great to be here, Brian, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately for me, I was you know, winsterp likes to come in and you know, jawbone about issues because it's still of its critical importance to him. Of course he still has an active role, and of course you intellected capacity of an active role. And gee, it's a shame day. We don't have anything to talk about by way of subject matter today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it is real shame. There's nothing going on whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Well as a new politician. I know you had a huge feel.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He beat ten Republicans and one Democrat to succeed Winster. This is, you know, a new foray in your life. What's it like to be in this Trump administration? And I was joking with you off air, it's like, you know, Trump's sworn in and he has been sprinting ever since. You compare the amount of and whether you like him or not, and as listen as he sucks, well, fine whatever, he's been able to accomplish more in this very short period of time than Joe Biden did in his entire administration. And I suppose we should pause from it and thank our our our maker that Biden wasn't as active and engaged as Donald Trump or well, I don't know where we would be right now, but amazing. What's it like being in that environment? It's been great, Brian. And like like you said, we were talking off air a little bit. We got sworn into Congress in January third, and we got right to work. We passed into the Lake and Riley Act, we passed legislation to get man out of women's locker rooms and sports, and right on down the line, we were working every day, but then January twentieth came and President Trump got sworn in, and if it felt like we were tied to as tied to a stump, he took off running. And since then it's been quite a ride. Lot's happening. Most of the people, obviously in my district are thrilled with it. I am too.
Speaker 3: The big goal now is to change a lot of these executive orders into law so that they stay at the way they are.
Speaker 2: Well executive orders, and also the work that Doge has accomplished so far as so far, and you know, I find it almost impossible to behold or and I do find it impossible to comprehend people who are resisting what Elon Musk and his team have revealed to the American public by way of where our dollars are being spent, coupled with and this is almost more offensive the idea that our taxpayer dollars weren't more, they weren't as mindful of our tax player dollars. We knew they always weren't. They could take as much as they want from us, but no sense of a fiduciary obligation. When you look at systems like social security, which is already headed for, you know, a collapse, it has been for They've been predicted for decades. But that hundreds of thousands of people that are obviously dead could still have active Social Security numbers on the system. And people are outraged that DOGE has access to this information and a court order just he said, no, it's we're keeping the injunction in place keeping them away from that information. How many people work at the IRS have access to that information? These people with DOGE have the same level because security clearances the people that work in the Social Security Department. I don't find what the big problem is, but that someone might be against cleaning it up right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's not just the waste, which is terrible, but the way we're finding out this money is actually used against Americans' best interests. And it seems like people in DC that you hear the most from are are more mad about the discovery of the fraud, waste and abuse than they are about the fraud, waste and abuse. It's a big issue. Dough has to be allowed to do it. It's work. It's dually appoint by the executive branch. We didn't even have anything that I could discern as an actual functioning executive branch for four years, and they're complaining about actual designees of President Trump doing the work that the executive branch is supposed to do. So, yeah, it's a little puzzling when you look at it from that aspect that they're they're more worried about how the problems are discovered than fixing the problems.
Speaker 2: That's that's what it is. It's one of those the jig is up kind of things, right, And the dollars that flowed out of USA, for example, by all accounts, circuitously made their way back into the pockets of politicians, either directly or indirectly in the form of political action committees or campaign contribution. So you know, no, you weren't funding Sesame Street and Iraq, You're actually funding some political action committe in DC to fund left wing causes.
Speaker 3: Right, and and Elon Musk kind of explained how that went down, where people like Soros and other activists would put a little need money into an NGO and then receive these huge grants from USAID and of course funnel those right back into whether it's electing prosecutors that having no intention of doing their job or funneled into Democrat candidates for all number of offices. I know they said it was like approximately two billion dollars a week in fraud, waste and abuse that they discovered early on from Social Security. And we actually sponsored a bill suggesting using you know, less than one week's worth of that money to address There are eighty one Tier one VA facilities with needs for their Tier one projects, meaning they need acute either restoration or rebuilding. So less than one week worth of waste from the what they found in the Social Security program would knock these all out. Whereas under the current system they're only putting one hundred and fifty million dollars towards this this long list of projects. At that pace, it will never get done. So those are the kind of things we're trying to turn turn this this negative situation into a positive as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, you talk about the one hundred fifty million dollars or two billion dollars that the pace at which these projects can get done. Go back to the Green New Deal stuff and what five billion dollars awarded to build you know, a Tesla charge and it's charging stations for octe vehicles and after four years or three years or so, seven of them got built. A high speed rail line out in California. That's literally billions of dollars over budget and they haven't gotten much of it done. That Baker's feel sacramenty whatever, that small leg that's connecting no One to no one, and for no particular reason, it's not even done. And it's been on the books and as a project now for what a decade.
Speaker 3: Right, And that money spent, it's it's not like, it's not like it's allocated, and it's it's still waiting for them to get the program together. That money's gone. Yeah, so if they ever want to do that, that light rail program, they're gonna need that money again. So yeah, it's it's absolutely ridiculous. And you know that money didn't disappear, and California you can pretty much guess where it went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I used to live in Chicago for eight years, so I can guarantee I know where it went. Yeah, that's why nothing's been done yet in terms of the legislation that you're interested in moving forward. I know one of the big focuses in the vic grama swim it was just on talking about focusing here in Ohio and education. It's a big It's a big deal for me. I am bussed who have had a good classical education. My parents insisted on me getting an education victim of public schools, and I got two degrees in the University of Cincinnati. But classical education, you know, phonics, arithmetic, just old school stuff, right, and I would love to have a return to that and moving away from this, DEEI woke kind of nonsense. It's the education system, as reflected by test scores, has become more of an a doctrination camp where you have more time spent on things that have nothing to do with the foundation and the building blocks that allow children to advance in the next grade, reading, writing, arithmetic, core key things and sciences too. By getting rid of the Department of Education, which is forcing this using federal dollars as a vehicle to force schools who accept the money to engage in those programs, Donald Trump and Congress can flip all that. Did you see a bill to eradicate the Department of Education? Because that will be required being advanced and where do you think it would go if it is?
Speaker 3: Well, there should be a bill and it's going to be a challenge to get it across the line with the current setup. I think it would be successful in the House. I think it would face challenges in the Senate with the lack of the sixty votes. And I don't see a way immediately around the bird rule on that. But they can definitely limit what the Department of Education is doing, and they're doing that when we appreciate that very much. And as you said, Vivek has got some great ideas for Ohio's education. You merit based pay for teachers, and that's not just based on test scores, as he's pointed out. I don't know if you've had a chance to hear him speak yet on this since he's declared UH for governor, but he's got some great ideas for multi factor analysis of teachers performance and paying you know, based on actual merit, which is a long overdue and they should be paid better and paid better because of the great work they do. It's there's no more important job. And he's got so many great ideas for Ohio. And if you haven't heard him speak to those, you will soon. I know he was on with you earlier today and UH and we're looking forward to announce my endorsement of him tonight as our next governor. I think, you know, oh yeah, oops. But you know, he's got great ideas for Ohio. He knows like I do, that Ohio is on the on the verge of a time where we can really move forward talking about energy production, talking about Yeah, and you know, the Second District stands ready, that's that's our history. We want to get back to doing that. The small modular nuclear facilities. We've got the only uranium enrichment American owned facility in the United States, smack dab in the middle of the Second District. And now we're not afraid of the work. You know, it's not, as he stated, it's not three mile Island anymore. Yeah, it's a very safe, clean, affordable, you know, abundant source of energy.
Speaker 2: I've been screwing on the top of my lungs about that for years now. I mean, we're not building three mile islands. We have evolved since the nineteen seventies in nuclear technology and nuclear energy production, and these babies. It's kind of like legos. Yeah, you design one and you could pick it up and use the same damn thing over here. You don't have to, you know, tailor it to your landscape necessarily. They don't use a whole lot of space up they abundance of electricity and all. If you believe in climate change and you think carbon dioxide, which is plant food, is changing our climate, they don't produce any of that either, right, you know, I mean, why is the entergy, the the the the green. Where are the green folks against it? It's a mystery to me.
Speaker 3: They're starting to figure it out because they want all these electric mandates. They want data centers, which I'm all for data centers, but they find out you have to have energy for that. Windmills don't run data center. They don't neither, do you know, solar panel fields for the most part. So they're recognizing that and that's a good thing, I think, but it's going to take a while thing to get them to actually do it. And sometimes you wonder if not, you know, actually fixing the problem shuts off the fundraising that goes around the problem. Hopefully that wouldn't be it. Let's pause.
Speaker 2: We're going to be Congressman Dave Taylor back for another segment, and then we'll hear from Mayor Old candidate Corey Bowman is gonna have any one and every everybody know about and we'll get a recap of his lunch with Smitherman as well. That'll take place at the bottom of the hour. Stick around, be right back fifty five the talk station prohibition. It's no secret that banning alcohol didn't think areas or Channel nine first morning weather forecast. Of course rain. You got rounds of rain and heavy rain at times today or Nagolois sixty four overnight, I mean today's high sixty four, nights fifty nine, same thing. Noose showers and thunderstorms. Rains likely, and heavy rain is expected for tomorrow with a highest seventy down to forty five overnight with.
Speaker 3: More raine and a few storms.
Speaker 2: Finally, the showers end during the day on Sunday and the flood rush ends on Sunday morning. Sunday's high fifty two fifty three degrees. Right now, let's get an update on traffic.
Speaker 1: From the UCL Triumphics Center. Don't let injury slow you down. The UCE Health Orthopedic san sports medicine experts can help keep you moving. Schedule with same day appointment at UCHealth dot com. Southbound seventy five continues slow through Wachland. They cleared the wreck northbound seventy five near Buttermill. Traffic's still heavy out of Florence. There's a wreck with injuries on daily at Galberth schock Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 2: AY twenty fifty five KRC DE talk station Carsman Dave Taylor and studio are proudly representing the second District here in Ohio and seems enthused about the job and obviously is impressed by what's been going on so far by way of progress, at least as he and you and I might perceive it. I want to ask you, though, and a lot of people sitting on the fence on this or you know, strong pro oponents or strong opponents, even folks on the same side of the political ledger. Of course, I got to ask you about tariffs.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I wasn't a big fan of tariffs until I took a look at it was fine. I don't know how it took so long for me to see and know and for all of us to genuinely come to an understanding about what other countries were charging by way of tariffs on the United States. I mean China sixty seven percent, I had no idea, and so ours now isn't even sixty seven percent, although it's pretty onerous. But nonetheless, you know, you look out in the world, some countries charging ninety percent tariffs. Most of them were at ten to twenty percent, but we didn't have any tariffs on them previously, So what gives on that? And we've been able to play along nicely in the world up until now, and then now people are in their hair out and losing their minds because, oh, we're going to cause a global economic collapse because we decided to do what they've been doing to us all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brian, I couldn't agree more on that. You know, we have in the United States the greatest consumer market on the planet possibly ever, which we've allowed every country in the world to access basically almost all of them, with no tariffs whatsoever. Meanwhile, they want to charge us to have access to their markets. So somehow in leveling that playing field, we're the bad guy. So I don't really understand that either. And you know, as far as expert opinions on tariffs, for every economists that says they're terrible, I can find you one that says they're great, and economists is probably the only job in the world where you can be right less often than the weather man and still be considered an expert. But you know, since obviously you have to recognize that the tears have had a big impact on the markets over twenty four hours, but everybody knows that we were taking a long way the wrong way over the last twelve of the last sixteen years. And it's it's not going to be utterly painless to fix it, but I do think it's going to be a short term thing. We're seeing the ten year Treasury bill going down, which is a huge good sign for the United States. That's I mean, that's how you finance your your long term debt.
Speaker 2: Right that's the interest payment on the credit card basically, you know, I mean you got to pay that, so we got to pay other countries. You'll be buying your tea bills six percent or eight percent. Clearly that's a lot of money annually. But if you only have to pay two or three percent, then you are saving money.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, you know, we're Americans are for are for free trade, but it has to be fair too. I mean, there's nothing fair about one one one way tariffs.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm hoping it is short and a man that I have a tremendous amount of respect for, even though he is an economist. Thomas Sowell was asked about this the other day, and he went on to point out that, well, if the tariffs are intended as short term, limited measures to achieve strategic goals, they may be effective. But if they're left in place over the long term, they could replicate the devastating history of the global trade war that the Smooth Holly terrifact caused back in the Hoover administration. And everybody that studied history knows about that, and that certainly is a possibility, and that's what's that's the kind of thing that's got me worried.
Speaker 3: I agree that there's a I think the bulk of these these tariffs are are intended to be short term. Now with certain UH international players who might you might have longer term ones to project, you know, the American UH worker, say China, countries like that New North Korina, North Korea, of course. But it's interesting also that how many people over the last few years have expressed the the opinion that the tariffs are a good idea and and long overdue for for America, including everybody from Obama to Pelosi to uh even Bernie Sanders. So it's funny how when when they're they're finally enacted, they're they're screaming bloody murder.
Speaker 2: But well, it's cause evil orange man, right, because.
Speaker 3: Somebody actually had the temerity to do it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but and the person who did it is evil orange man. If anything that Trump does that they wanted to do five minutes ago, they don't want to do now simply because Trump embraced the concept like fraud, waste and abuse. I mean, you've got every one of the politicians you just mentioned on record at some point in their political career saying we need to get rid of fraud, waste and abuse in government. Lo and behold, Elon Musk comes in starts doing that job, and they're all pissed off about it.
Speaker 3: It's like, what, Yep, you can add Schumer to that list. Yes, he did the same thing, absolutely, And they're right. You know, it's it's it's always popular to get up and say something that's true, and and when it was safe for them to do that and not have to worry about actually doing the work. That's when they said it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what, David, it's been a real pleasure to having you in studio. We need to do this more often, either on the phone or you can come in. And I always welcome folks come in studio, and I appreciate taking the effort to do that. I know you do a fine job representing the second district, and I uh, and keep up the great work and keep playing nicely together up there. I know you've got that big, that big, massive what is it a reconciliation build to accomplish? Just real quick, what's the water temperature on that right now?
Speaker 3: I think it's I think things are progressing well. There was there was a brief sort of uh slow down in the in the procedure with the Senate, but it's up and running again, and it looks like what they call the vote rama is going to happen where they get their end of it nailed down and send it back to us and finalize it and get it to the President's desk. So very hopeful. You know, I'm very proud of the work that Speaker Johnson has done dealing with you know, a million different kinds of personalities and agendas. And I'm very as Vivac was speaking about earlier in Ohio. Nationally, the Republican Caucuses is together. It's united. It understands that this is an opportunity that can't be missed to h to get this country going in the right direction again. And that's what we're doing.
Speaker 2: I just wish it had more spending cuts in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Well, well we'll get another bite at the reconciliation apple before the end of this term. So what we do want to get the biggest bite we can of things that are fraud, waste, and abuse. We don't want to affect the benefits of people who deserve the benefits they're receiving. We want to enhance those understood. Well, it's been a real pleasure talking with you, my friend. I look forward to talking to you again real soon. Likewise, thanks for having me in.
Speaker 2: It's been great. Have a wonderful weekend. It's eight twenty six, folks. Stick around, Corey Bowman. It's going to have any wants to talk to you about, and we're going to get a recap of what was it like having lunch with Christopher Smithman. Corey Bowman up next stick around. This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station. The simply money minute is