Speaker 1: You're listening to something. Creator and hosts Canvalent, editor and producer Peter.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, this is Something rather than Nothing podcast And I have Victor V. Gerbo here, uh from New York musician Victor. I've I've I've listened and watched a bunch of music, really love it, really enjoy it. Excited to talk to you and you know, to talk about art and the music you create. But first of all, welcome to the Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. It's a pleasure to be here. That is awesome.
Speaker 2: What one of the one of the first questions I ask is uh, and I know you've been doing music, are and creating uh for for quite some time?
Speaker 3: Uh Uh?
Speaker 2: Was there a moment? Was there a moment when you were going along and you felt that you were an artist? You knew that you were an artist? Was it an event or a moment?
Speaker 3: I'm very fortunate to have been raised in an environment where art is really accepted. My my father is a photographer, and he ended up working for a fairly famous photographer named Andrea Cartez and has ended up his his his his day job, which is now slowly becoming my day job as well, has been sort of managing his archive. So I've grown up around art. My father has brought his work home his entire life, so I've gotten to be raised around really incredible pieces of art. And on my mom's side, they were all traveling. My middle name is Vocally and that's my mom's last name, and they were all traveling opera singers and violin players. And uh so, certainly on on on both sides, art is your thing. So I I was never discouraged. I've had this conversation with other artists and they've you know, I have said, you know, like, oh, you know, I told my parents I wanted to be a guitar player, a painter, writer. It was received poorly, and I'm I'm I've I've we all I got, you know, lots of faulty wiring, but so have you know. It's but that, But that being said, have never that that that has not been my That has never been my problem. And I'm very fortunate that I've always been encouraged to be an artist. I I I never expected to be a musician.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, I mostly painted, I drew, I wrote, and at some point towards the end of my tenure in college, I started writing songs and something just eventually clicked, and I realized that playing music was going to be my main thing and it has been ever since.
Speaker 2: Love it, Love it incredible too. The dad you said, cretez, Oh, my goods, I mean I I incredible. Photographer.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I'm really glad that you. You know is photography is never a It's not really a household name for artists. So whenever I meet someone that actually knows who he is, I'm always very impressed and very happy. My father knew him. This is I'm now telling his story, and I hope when he hears this he doesn't feel he doesn't feel too bad. He says that at the age of fifteen, his brother gave him a camera and a copy on Reading, and my dad said that he switched from Mad magazine to photo books and flashed forward. He was in something called the set Of Project, which was an arts rehabilitation program in the guess it's probably the late seventies, and he's being interviewed for a project and after the interview, the woman says, all right, what gives your photos? Like Eastern European? But here in the Brooklyn accent, and he just went on and on about how much he loved Cortez, and she said, this is adorable. I know him. I have to bring you to him, and they began working together. My dad was a carpenter. He built, He built shelves and furniture for him and developed film for him. Was a bodyguard in the city, walking around taking pictures, and when Cortez passed away, the people that were in charge asked him if they were for a so he helped take apart his apartment. And then after that they said, would you like to be the curator of his estate? And my father said, I'll do it for a year so it doesn't interfere with my own art. And about forty something years later, here we are, and all my childhood he's been bringing the work home because I was born slightly after he took on that job, and my parents didn't want to have babysitters, so they both worked part time when I was very young, and he's told the story. I have no memory of this, but it does go into art, so I think it's a relevant story. My father is laying out a show. I forget where the exhibition was supposed to go. But he realized that the dimensions of our living room was the same as the gallery space. So he brought the photographs home and he laid them out. Apparently, I'm like five, and I toddled in. I say, what are you doing? And he says, I'm laying out this show. And apparently I walked around the show and I turned to him and I don't remember this, but I believe it. And I said to him, you've got it all wrong. He said, excuse me, And I said, well, this photograph talks to this photograph and this piece looks like this, and I apparently I moved five pictures around and he said, all right, and that's how he hung the show. So, and my argument for that is good art, great art, amazing art is so intuitive that even a five year old can understand it. Having the context and the history and the life experience. Certainly, you know will will embellish your understanding of it. But and this is a quote from my father, it's not mine, but the job of an artist is to be a sponge and a mirror. It's to observe the world around you, to synthesize it through the self, and then create it in a way that other people can walk around inside of it. And I think, you know, a great, a great Critez photograph. I wasn't born and you know, in in in Hungary in the eighteen hundreds. I didn't serve in World War One. But when I look at when I look at some of those pictures, you can you can just you can find yourself in them. And and it's the same thing for a good song. I mean, I love Bob Dylan, and I haven't lived Dylan's life, but some of those songs they just rip right through your soul. So so yeah, that's sort of my my take. I know that one of the one of the questions you asked is what is the role of an artist? And that's that that that, yeah, immediately came to mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, thank you for the telling a spot. I mean, I just found it just the point where you said that there was it really just struck me, like that intuitive piece where you said, you know, there's a lot of fuzz as we get older, but you just you know, it's the eye you see, it's like wait, a second soul auto order, and uh, you're walking around and it's just a beautiful story walking around and the calory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, no, it was now and and I'm I'm very lucky that that that that now I get to look at the pictures. You know. Again, he my father often says, you know, he's accidentally become a Cotez expert night, and I too have accidentally become one as well, looking at my whole life, and now I'm doing work for the In addition, my day job is now that and by night I play music and build guitars. And that's that's become my that's become my my saga at the moment. But I wouldn't have it any other way. If one must, if an artist must have a day job, which we all need, because art doesn't make enough for any of us to survive. Unless you crack that amazing threshold looking at great art, he gets more art. And it doesn't matter if it's a photograph and you play music, or you're looking at a painting and you're you know, and you take photos it it. There's a great series which I hope someone was discussing doing a book on it at some point. But Kretez in the twenties was hanging out with a lot of his He had a his roommate. I think he also lived across the hole at some point. His name was Laos Tiani. He was a mute Hungarian painter and etcher and printmaker. And they have this great series back and forth where Chretez would take a photograph and then he would make a painting, and then he would make a painting and you take a photograph, and it didn't matter that they were doing different forms of art. But you can see this. It's not when I when I when I say it's competitive. It's not competitive in a bad way. It doesn't have to be a negative. But good art begets more art, and art's a conversation. It doesn't happen alone. If it's your experience that you're synthesizing as someone else's art, you can you can write a song in response to the geometry. You have a photograph, you can find how that functions in a different form. And that's something that would never happen if you were only listening to music, or if you were only doing blank. In this, I don't think art is it's it's it's it's broad stroke. It doesn't have to be rete I mean, I have one story that I when I was in college. I took a it was a computer design class, and one of the assignments was to make a flyer, a business card, and a brochure or something. And I made a business card for my music I was writing at the time. I did one of those, and then the other one I did for I think was painting or something, and the professor looked at it and kind of laughed and said to me, you know, you're gonna have to pick one eventually. And at the time I found that so offensive. I was like, what do you mean I have to pick one? Yeah, And then then as time is gone, I was like, oh, yeah, that guy was right. I wish I could find the card and say, yeah, yeah, you where you were right on the money.
Speaker 5: But that being said, well, one.
Speaker 3: Thing always, you know, sort of does emerge as your main creative outlet. Having connections to everything that you can have connections to certainly helps your art improve. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really appreciated your point of like the interacting, interacting with art and be getting more art. I wanted to ask it. It's somewhat standard, somewhat standard question, but like it my mind, my mind goes towards it. And it was talking about like the generation of your art and time I read about musicians, you know, there's always this kind of like categorization, right, like the way we talk about it. Music can be so expansive and we use you know, terms to try to like try to place it, and and listening to music in your band you feel a lot of different influences and to see other people you know, describing it folk like you know, spanding a long range of time. M hm is their way? Is there way you would put it as far as those influence you mentioned Bob Dylan, but like the the stuff that really like rattled you and you could feel like their life and kind of like in your development in your music.
Speaker 3: Well, I yeah, I mean I I love using the umbrella of folk rock Americana or folks singer songwriter because you can get away with so much. Yeah yeah, right right right, yeah yeah, I I you know, I don't like I put this genre specific to perhaps perhaps to my own detriment, because you know, certainly it's so easy to walk in and say, you know, I'm an indie artist or I'm this or I'm that. And the folk rock Americana you can do it, blues, you can do a country song you can you can lean on all of those, you know, sort of American roots, and I, you know, I love the diversity of that. And I in addition to Bob Dylan, I mean, I love the you know, Alan Lomax, Smithsonian collection, stuff like that. I I you know, certainly with some of that material, there is an anchor into the time that they were created, whether it is the quality of the recording. And of course an artist can never really get away from the time period that they are in. But I love creating art that isn't really stuck in a time. I was talking to someone not too long ago. I can't I can't remember what the context was, but I was saying that there's a lot of like a lot of modern pop music that makes me really sad like when I hear it, because it is so anchored in like we are, we are young, we're going to set the world on fire, which you know, I'm still theoretic theoretically young for another five and a half minutes now now for but that, you know, but that, but that I've always been so conscious that like that that goes away like that's that's it's such a fleeting part of your life and I don't know though, those just some of those songs just just they make me want to cry, and I don't quite know why I don't even like them that much. But when, but like when, when you listen to a Frank Sinatra song, like the ones that just sort of have entered into that like immortal category, it doesn't matter when he was singing them or why he was singing them. You can play them in any time period and they they work for you. And that's always what I've sort of tried to tried to aim for, is to not get too bogged down in and where I am and just make something that I would hope that in the event that it that it lasts, that someone you know, one hundred years from now, could in theory listen and find their way find their way through it. Well, of course, you know, I think I was listening to what was it Why I try to change me now? And I know that like even you know, there's the line I leave my keys in the door, and I'm like, well, you know, keys are starting to go away a little bit. You know, you have car keys, you.
Speaker 6: Like it.
Speaker 3: It's really like there's things that you wouldn't even realize will become become antiquated. The one one one thing that really freaks me out, which will do a best to describe because I realized the video is not saved, is if you ask a child to pantomime taking a picture, and many of them will raise their hand like it's a phone, whereas mine is always going to be as if you're holding a physical camera the same. Yeah, a phone, you put your hand up. I always do the two fingers. And then there's they you know, they do like it's a cell phone. That's just part of this part of the part of the journey, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, I no, go ahead, no, no, that was I think the end of the the.
Speaker 3: The weird rambling thread that I just had. No.
Speaker 2: You know, one of the things when you're talking about you know, I don't want to use these words that used a lot, but like through time or timeless. I'm a union activist, union organizer and folk music and those embedded songs, uh, you know, like they have it right. So like I'm a worker in like you know, nineteen twenty seven.
Speaker 3: Guess what, the boss got.
Speaker 2: Their boot on my neck, and you know, like you know, there's there's these there's these conditions and there's this kind of like sound.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, there is a you know, a primal, a primal sound that comes from those the experiences, and recently just with the world in the place that it's in in politics, that the place that it's in, I've been starting to look at I've sort of stayed away from protest music. I love it, and I love playing it for myself, and I love listening to it. But again, like I've always personally strove to, you know, for my own writing and for the stuff and the songs that I cover to be again like not anchored in a specific time, and a lot of protest music is anchored in a specific moment. But as I've sort of begun sort of studying it more critically lately in an attempt to sort of synthesize it and figure out how I can participate, I've been amazed at how even when stories are specific to a time period, how they can still resonate and be so relevant today. With Marcus Serta, who I collaborate with him for my home recordings, I sort of I have multiple projects that I work on, one as my full band, which Mark is also a part of. He plays bass in that project, But when I'm by myself, Mark has been a multi instrumentalist, predominantly guitar, and he mixed and masters the home recordings that we do. And recently we've sort of done a foray into protest music, and I've experimented with writing, and we've been opening up our sets with a Woody Guthrie toon called Deport, which is the plane wreck of Los Gatos, and it's a song that Guthrie wrote about in the late nineteen forties. The state rounded up a bunch of migrant workers that they deemed illegal, and they put them on a plane and the plane crashed over the mountains, and the response on the radio was very black life uster. They didn't you know, it's just so you know, a bunch of immigrants died, and then they just went on the news and it upset him so much that he wrote this song. And I mean again, there are moments in the song that are specific to the plane wreck, but the the but the the subject matter is still so relevant today and it's both amazing from the standpoint of Guthrie as an artist, also tragic that we're still dealing with the same problems and the same missteps but that that being said, yeah, with Union music, it's it's absolutely incredible. There's so much material to go through. And again, I'm sure you encountered this every day that they that even even even if it's specific to a moment, there's still broad strokes relevance to to what you're doing. And two and to necessary activism today.
Speaker 2: Well, the singing, singing and bringing people uh together, you know there there's incredible components of you know where people like, yeah, we are together, and they don't have to see it. They don't have to see it like on the strike line, or they can they can feel it and the words of everybody around them. And I think it's such a beautiful thing. All right, I got a different I get a different question. So in New York City, I've seen some of you live videos beautiful venues for you. Tell us about like your favorite venue there that you play?
Speaker 3: What, what's it, what's it feel like?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Where is it?
Speaker 2: Where is it in the city. I'd like to get a little bit of a feel of one of my favorite cities in the entire world.
Speaker 3: Well are our biggest shows that we've done, which, of course those venues come to mind, and first and foremost just as sort of like we did Carnegie Hole about two or three years ago now, and a bit longer ago we did one of the smaller stages at Brooklyn Academy of Music, and certainly just the history in those stages it was incredible to be a part of. But recently we did now two shows at Cafe Wah, which igor connected me with you in part because I cut a Gerbo twenty five live album and we and we recorded it at Cafe Wa. And I mean obviously a much smaller venue comparatively to Carnegie Hole, but I would argue, you know, as far as the history of folk and rock music in New York City, quite a heavyweight contender in terms of importance. Dylan when he first came to New York, the first place that he went to wash was was Cafe WA. I believe many of early Hendrick sets where we're there, it's the wall is lined with photographs of the pivotal artists in our culture. That we're there, and it's amazing that not only does it still exist because so many venues, especially during COVID, just went belly up the bitter end. Also incredibly important almost almost died during that period and there was a bunch of artists came together and did a zoom zoom show in addition to the owner launching a launching a GoFundMe, and it raised enough money to keep it to keep it afloat. And I just one of my one of one of my idols is George Carlin, and he opened up the previous Bitter End uh save the Bitter End show, And I'm just thrilled that in the the one following it that my name is in the list of people that yeah where I had a when I was in college at a philosophy class and the professor asked me who's your who's your favorite philosopher? And I said George Carlin and he said, all right, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 6: And but uh, but but the but the fact that both the Bitter End End Cafe while not just or still in existence, but they're still taking chances on acts that are that.
Speaker 3: Are new, that are unknown, that are independent. That's a great thing. I mean the fact that you know, not only myself, but you know many artists that I know that are just starting out get to say, like, you know, I got to play the same sace, the same stage as Jimmy Hendricks. I got to play the same stage as Bob Dylan. I got to play the same stage as it was a Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift some of their early shows at the Bitter End. That's great, and it sort of puts us all in the same like we're all in the same we're all on the same staircase, we're all in the same Yeah. And I just think that's great. And I think that you know a lot of people will I had dinner not too long ago with I was in I was in Chicago, and I that's someone who used to be used to live in New York City, and she said like, oh, well, New York City doesn't have any character anymore. And I'm like, first of all, like you don't live here anymore, so leave it alone. Don't take a jail New York. You can complain about it. You can't. And yes, the buildings are getting bigger to a point where the island's starting to sink into the water. But part of the like part of the magic of being a New Yorker is none of us have any idea how we pull it off, and we all kind of hate it, but we're all madly in love with the place, and we all can't imagine living anywhere else, and you know, aren't Just like you know, just like plants, just like we reads, it always grows, even though you know, the life cycle is always the rents cheap, the artists move in, it becomes cool, and then people start buying it up, and then the artists can't live there anymore. But there's you know, we're I always say this, like also I say it to myself, Like, you know, when you're on stage, you're always so worry about making a mistake or forgetting something or batching you know whatever, whatever line, whatever note. The audience wants you to succeed, and other artists want you to succeed. I always say whenever I meet somebody, like, if you figure out the secret code for you know, whatever, the next step is, whatever, the next great show, whatever, the next social media viral moment or whatever, if I if I find it out, I'll tell you, And if you find out, please tell me. Like this is we're all in this. We're all in this together, and especially with you know, the prevalence of AI becoming you know, taking over weird space is in art where it has no place AI belongs in computation. It does not belong in the arts. And I know that, you know, I know that there are exceptions to that rule in the sense that you know, when a camera was first picked up, no one knew where to put it, perhaps being and it just shouldn't be. You could be perhaps an AI prompt artist or something, but it's not. It's not where it is being used in the jobs that it is taking from artists. Right now, I would argue, is reprehensible not to mention that, you know, each time it types something in jet GPT, you're pouring out a bottle of water. But I've not lost my chin thought.
Speaker 2: No, I mean it's it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a big one, and I think something that we're all reckoning with. Oh yeah, but the culture of art in New York City. I love that whenever the advertisements on the trains, whenever there is an ad for AI or an advertisement that has been created with AI, it is vandalized the immediately and someone will write AI slop on it. There. There is Perhaps it's some kind of uncanny Valley response. Perhaps it's that we all collectively do realize that the one thing that really does make human special is our ability to create art. That the angry response that I've seen towards you know, God knows how much they're paying people for for sketchers' ads, but.
Speaker 4: Do they really need the same thing with Disney. Disney has so much money and they're using AO images and stuff. It's just you know, it's it's just so bizarre to me.
Speaker 3: But uh but yeah, no, like, And I think that's that's an example of you know, New Yorkers are oddly do look out for each other, even though it does have a sense of you know, this reputation of this you know cold city scape. There's a there's there, there's a great art scene. It's bifurcated. It's confused because you know, with especially with venues, you know, rent is expensive. Each each each stage has to worry about being able to stay open. That then trickles down to the artists. I remember talking to when I first was doing shows with my full band. I had a drummer who had gigged a lot in the seventies, and when I was telling him, like, yeah, we really got to hustle and get a lot of people out to the show, he said, like, we have to bring people to the show, like the club doesn't make a poster and put it outside. I'm like, oh no, man, mat that's over. The guitarist I work with right now was a session musician. He was a guitarist in the China Club in the eighties. And he always says when I say, like, oh, yeah, we got the good slot, it's like seven or eight o'clock. And he said, like, if you played before, like one am, it was lame. I said like, no, no, it's all very different now. It is a very different it's a very different environment. And and there's been a big shift, but I think there is still there's still a there is a reverence for art in New York City. It and it grows through the cracks of skyscrapers and and and that that's I there. There there, there's still lots of wonderful independent venues that are taking chances on indie artists. And there's never a shortage of catching a good show in a nice place. And some of the bars they're really generous to their talent, and they're really nice and and I would argue the ones that weren't. A lot of them went away with COVID because I watched left and right, you know, go fundmes and zoom shows pop up to help keep venues alive. And you know the ones that that didn't foster that community with their artists, they weren't you know, they they they they didn't show up. So so yeah, I I think there's there's still a great culture here for the for the arts. It's not it's not celebrated in the same way they're like, oh, you go to Nashville and there's a songwriter row and this and that. But it's just a bunch of crazy people who are trying to stay alive in New York City, who have to make art, and they're they're really cool to hang out with if you know where to find them, and there's great shows to go.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks, thanks for taking us in. Yeah. Absolutely, uh love love to New York City. Talking about AI, this one fundamental point that has shocked me about it is I was shocked as I would see a lot of people around me abdicate and give away their own thinking Like I I couldn't like like a lot of things that they were asking and generating. It was of this kind of mono robot voice. But I couldn't believe how quickly a lot of people rush to say. In my brain, I don't want to think that true anymore. Like I was shocked at that. It was like I have such a connection to that process. I'm like, I don't even want somebody else or some other thing to do it for me, because it's not me. So I don't know. I always found that that that a real shocker.
Speaker 3: And there's almost sorts of fascinating, fascinating studies coming out of like you know, people that use I mean AI is here to stay. We've clearly collectively said, you know, I mean when I say collectively, I mean the folks who have any kind of control over it collectively say we ain't putting no guardrails in. We're just this is here to stay. And this is now. One thing that really drives me nuts is it's in Gmail now and whenever, you know, whenever you misspell something, it's underlining and red. And whenever you you know, when that's you know, when the grammar's incorrect, it's underlined in blue. And now all of a sudden, it's underlined in purple. And I'm like, what is this? And I click on it. It's like your AI friend is saying like you might want to say it like this, it's more concise. Am I allowed to curse on the show.
Speaker 2: At this point? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Fuck? Like I want to sound like a human. I want to sound like how I.
Speaker 6: Sound trying to strip all of the human individuality out of speech.
Speaker 3: And I you know, my my partner, my girlfriend, she teaches at F I T. And she's always talking about this huge problem with people using AI, and like I do understand, I am dyslexic and having the ability to most people with dyslexia are a large swath of people with dyslexia. They're affected in math. Sorry, they are affected in English and not in math. And of course I'm flipp even even for that. But on occasion, I've always like, you know, there's a couple of grammar quirks that even through my genesis of making trying of figure out how to connect the wires in my brain, but still I botch every now and then, So I like, you know, it's been it's been really nice to be able to have, you know, like a system that one can use to like catch little little things here and there, but you really have to figure out how to use it as a tool and not let it completely. I was forget the name of the person I was listening to. It was. It was on YouTube somewhere, and I was talking about the dangers of AI and how it could really take over the world. And two of them were, you know, sort of you know, black mirror esque, you know, this happens, and this happens, and he said. The third one, he said, which is much more realistic and genuinely, the one that's more frightening is that it becomes so pervasive in our culture that we do not feel comfortable sending an email, working out directions, paying a bill, basic communication without consulting the AI first. And I I can see that, I can see that happening. It's it's very it's very easy to to to to lean on the crutch of it. And there was there was a study I was reading that like basically, like look studying studying the brain of people that either a use the AI as a tool after the thing is made, versus the people that use the AI and then modify it afterwards. They're like, you're using so much less stuff up here, and how that is dangerous And yeah, the amount that it synthesizes other people's art and then regurgitates it as as its own is horrifying. I love there's something called poisoning the well, which there's some sort of software that I haven't investigated enough because I haven't I haven't needed to. But you can apparently put this over your art and it it does something in the pixels just enough that the AI doesn't know how to copy it. So if you said, you know, copy of painting in the style of X y Z, person who's using this, it will come out just as like mush, which is is smart. I do think that there is you know, I've spoken to artists. It's usually older artists who are very hesitant to put their artwork out on the Internet because they don't want someone to steal it, which I one of a key a key moment in my development was I was when I was in college. I took it was a class it was Art in the Real World, and it was just basically a seminar class where you would sort of discuss how to be how to be a physical artist in a real world setting. And I asked the question, what do you do if someone steals your art? And the professor says, oh, I would love someone to steal my art, and I first I thought it was a joke and that I realized he was dead serious. And the older I get, the more I'm like, yeah, well, you know, you, first of all, nothing will happen if you don't put yourself out there, and if someone does try to steal your work, at least it means that you're relevant enough that someone actually cares enough to try to steal it. But yeah, it's that, it's that whole adage of you can never you know, nothing's ever going to happen if you don't put yourself out there. And part of being an artist is there's so many there's so many reasons that you can tell yourself not to put yourself out there. And that's not to say that one shouldn't copyright their material, register with you know as cappy am I that they shouldn't do the that they shouldn't do their due diligence and learn how to function and how to protect yourself. But at the same time, like life is a series of things to stop you from doing things that you want to do sometimes, and it's about just figuring out how to emotionally and physically put yourself out there so you can do your art. And and but yeah, I've rambled off of AI. But AI is it's dangerous, and I it's there's something something so cold about it. And it's because again I would argue as a and I'm sure there's plenty of other things that make us different as a species, but if you look at you know, and yes, I'm also where the birds of Paradise they make the designs on the ground, and there are other animals that kind of make things that are that are art. But the thing that we do that's so special is that we make art, we make things, we make things without and that we don't make them for a specific purpose other than art. And I think that's so so special and it's so uniquely human and and and AI is never gonna it's never gonna pull it off, right, it's always a it's a it's it's a it's it's it's a hollow echo of what we're capable of doing as a people. And it's just big business. And you know, shaving a couple of bucks off of paying an artist that has really put it in a place where I mean, again, it's so sad that artists are always the first ones to go yeah, you know, but uh, and I would argue we're the ones that make life interesting. But but yeah, no, it's there's so many ways that you could save money and time using artificial intelligence and instead, you know, cutting out, cutting out the person that makes a poster is so safe to me. So yeah, whoever is listening here, support support, support your local artists. We're all hanging by a thread.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's it's of the it's of it's of this time too, and it's you know, it's it's it's in in in real time and it's distributed unevenly and uh one of the so everybody's been und Victor v. Gerbo musician, Uh New York City really really uh fascinating to talk about. I don't know, it's like the generation of art, like the special aspect of art. But I have I have the big philosophical question I gotta I gotta throw at you. And I know you're a big thinker. You've been thinking about these things too, much like myself though, But the the the big question of the show is why is there something rather than nothing? I.
Speaker 3: Hm, I I think because the something is beautiful? I mean, it really is. I whenever I'm you know, on occasion, you know, I'll be talking to my girlfriend and you'll say like, oh, this is terrible, and I'll say, like, but this is you know, like even even the bad stuff is beautiful, even the you know, even even even even the inconveniences, even the even the sad moments are gorgeous because life is fascinating. I mean, colors are great. Colors, just colors, like like, I I think that you know, the something, that something is amazing and we've all been we're all here, we've been given something, and we have time to do something with that something, and just experiencing the something and beholding the something is gorgeous. And I yeah, I I this is not the most formed out statement that I've ever made, but he can.
Speaker 2: Answer this question. No, no, but no, I really no, I'm serious. I mean, I I love what you have to say. I I think it's some I think I think what you say is that there is some you know, there is there's something beautiful in and of it, in and of itself and doing it. And I think you're right with like making art and you know, being comfortable with like creating, creating, creating and because it goes in such a it goes in such a far out place, so it's it's it's a great it's a great spirit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, even uh Victor, Yeah, oh, I was.
Speaker 3: Just gonna say that, you know, Like even Bob Dylan when he was being interviewed I think on on on the on the success of Blood on the Tracks, his response was, I don't understand why people like this album. It's so painful. And that's like, even even the bad stuff is good, even the the the artist's ability to take the pain in their life and synthesize it into something that's just out of this world gorgeous is so incredible. For Tez has a series he his entire life. He was supported by his wife, who was eight years younger than him, and every photograph she has a cigarette in her hand. And in the seven she was diagnosed with lung cancer and he, you know, as soon as he became famous, he spent you know, he was simultaneously globe trotting and nursing her to her death, and like a true artist, he documented the whole process through her funeral. There's a self portrait of him with her urn under his under his arm, and they're wow. They're they're they're so beautiful and they're so painful. And then simultaneously, right after she passed away, he's he stole a polaroid camera from Graham Nash. Of all people, artists, artists would hang out in his apartment and gram Nash had just gone to had just gone to the the Polaroid factory and they were giving famous artists cameras and film and he showed up in the apartment right afterwards, and he showed it to him and he said pretest said, oh, thank you so much. And my father was interviewing him for the they did a small pot Lloyd book and grabbed that. She like, I couldn't tell him it wasn't for him. And when my dad asked, you know, like, do you remember what day it was? And he goes, you know, any idea what we were on back then? I have no idea what day Michel was. But then he started. He was apparently walking past Brentano's bookshop, Chretez, and there was a glass sculpture in the window, and he said it was a it was a a Morano glass sculpture, and it was just a head and a neck, just kind of tilting like this very modern art, and he said that the nape of the neck and the posture reminded him of his wife so much that he avoid he avoided going into the story. He would cross the street, and finally when they pulled it out, when he when they pulled it out of the window, he ran in and bought it and he started photographing this glass sculpture in his window over two fifth Avenue. And it is the most, I would argue, the most incredible body of work that he ever did. And it's about it's about grief and understanding and and and life. They're funny, they're sad, they're they'll just rip you to shreds. And it's all immediate because he usually worked with, you know, black and white photography. He's very frugal with his film. He would shoot, send it to a printer, get it back, circle the ones on the contact sheet, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And this was he needed immediate response. And they're just so beautiful and they come from such a great place of pain. But even that, even that something is just gorgeous. And that's why I would argue that something, even when the something is is bad even when the something is hard, even when the something is confusing, it's just so great that we get to be the something and to create something. And yeah, I highly recommend searching out that there's there's two books on it. They're just incredible. One he produced when he was alive, the other one was published after he died, and they're they're just I would argue, they're it is a sacred body work. And I think for anyone who's who's dealing with grief or trying to understand grief, it is a It is a it is a fascinating study from someone who has spent their entire life perfecting a craft. Jane, I love. The reason why I love listening to Bob Dylan now is I'm fascinated with a lot a lot of guitar players are obsessed with what was the guitar that was used by you know so and so in the sixties when they were at the height of their family. And I'm like, I want to know what Clapton's using right now after years and years of amps overheating and guitars feeding back, I want to know. I want to know what he's been like, Yeah, this is this is the thing and we're so lucky when we do, because artists usually just burn up and you know, go out like stars there they just so when we do get artists that manage to figure out, either by by intent or just by luck, that they're still here. I always think that what they do later in life is worthy of such study because it's such a gift to be able to see what they've what they've figured out, because I don't believe there's any shelf life on creativity. That it's not just something for for for youth. It's a it is a way of life and and a thing that should always be a part of who you are. But yeah, even the even even even the bad times are good, even the even the bad, even the bad, even the sad, something is just stunning. We all are lucky to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, brother Victor. Where do people go to find and your beautiful music, your live music? Where do your recordings? Where do people go to find your r.
Speaker 3: After that depressing rant, I'm surprised anybody want to come find me. You can find me at Victor v gerbo dot com. V I C t O r V g U r b O. And it's that at on every social media. I'm the only one of me that I've found. I think I'm the only one of me that wants to be me. And if anyone wants to be me, and and and if I'm not on that, if if if, if there's a new social media platform that I have missed. Uh, I encourage, I encourage your listeners to write to me, and that will be what I spend my evening signing up for all of my shows are advertised on my website, very active on Instagram and Facebook. And our only next show on the books at the moment is I submitted a protest song to the When Voices Rise songwriting contest and I'm a finalist in that, and on August twenty first, I'm to perform amongst the other finalists and winners at Joe's Pub. It should just be it should just be one song. But I've listened to all of the other acts and it's it's it's a really great lineup and it's an honor to be amongst them. And I also think, again, as we were saying before about you know, socially conscious music and topical music of the time. Again, I've always kind of pushed away from that, and I'm I'm I've decided not to because I think it's important and I'm seeing how important it is and listening to other people who who have made the same the same call, and and sort of listening to how important that is.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you can hear that live at Joe's Pub on August twenty first. The tickets are on sale at Publictheater dot org. And I'm sure I'll have more shows between then and now, and I'll be advertised on my on my website.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Victor. I gotta tell you, like, I really like you know, in talking about our they're just really inspired by a lot of the ideas that you mentioned and taking us into those those beautiful works, Like I was thinking that the Curtez and they're saying, like you know, O, the pain, the horror, the loss and the grief and the work that an artist does too to pull to pull that through and and in my mind like really help others through the work, through the work in creation that they do. And I think that's such a powerful idea. And I really thank you for bra for for leaning into that. And aren't that you create?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's it's I I believe that there are so many you know, cons and scams and predators in the art world. You know, people who are trying to make a buck off of artists because they know that we can't do anything else. We're stuck doing this, like you know, there, there's, it's, it's and you know, and there's certainly you know, we're we're also we're all so hungry to to to to be there. But now I I think that it's being an artist is an important it is an important job, and the best thing that you can do is look at and study other great art and just lean lean into, lean into what what's going on in your life and figure out a way too, you know, whether it's escapism from that, whether it's documenting it and and figuring out a way to just make something that other people can look at and say, I see myself in that. I feel that even if it's something totally different, it's it's it's an amazing form of communication. And if you know that, if if you get one person to feel that when you do a show or when you make a piece, that's that that's a win.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's beautiful, Victor, pleasure to meet you. Thank you for living the art life and uh great great love to the great city. Yea work in your live performances, and thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We thank you for having me, and I hope there was something vaguely coherent coming out of me that you could use.
Speaker 2: And we're trying philosophy. We're trying philosophy here.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, well, thank you so much, brother, you two all right, I'm a great arrested.
Speaker 8: Let's go, brother superior jumped the gun. But all in all, it was a little fun that ripped the buttons clean off your coat. She win you not to let me in, and that to do so was embodied, said, I tell you, she want you not to glow.
Speaker 3: Not something. There's gonna be.
Speaker 8: No waters in a lock the doors should have told your daughters.
Speaker 5: But well, well nobody now good looks told him I coming, and you did the ground and start running before I faced the curtain.
Speaker 7: Live the bath, be the light the hand halse well, burn the back down and sit and wait and watch till be asks if the ground how.
Speaker 9: Lack of volua, Boy, there will be no words down to the burn.
Speaker 7: Imagine gonna form of wallsend.
Speaker 10: W sat together at the diner table and I told you every single faithle and tried to prove that this.
Speaker 3: World is utterly blast, honey, maybe on the.
Speaker 10: Table ground and your mama thinks your digs abound that I got.
Speaker 7: A room here. Can you imagine that?
Speaker 5: The way the value?
Speaker 3: You know, I've got something for you, hand it, all of it.
Speaker 5: You gotta cloves, grind Who did the jukebox.
Speaker 7: Turn in the pretty little line?
Speaker 3: Burn?
Speaker 5: Long after the villogy gone? Light the handhouse. We're gonna burn the master down and and wait and wash. She'll be afters in brown? How like the value burn? There will be no words the sound.
Speaker 7: Of the burnt imagine blom the walterer.
Speaker 3: I promise not to me.
Speaker 7: Won't you please light up a kept and I'll have a couch before I leave this place.
Speaker 8: Danasy is never learning to see change.
Speaker 3: And the wheel keep turning.
Speaker 2: You can see you in the.
Speaker 5: Lines of your face. A bang along. It'll be the first thing I should he then do the plane and riding. Thank is gone, and.
Speaker 7: The king is dead and the radio is hanging.
Speaker 3: On by the rest of it.
Speaker 5: If you feel something burning, don't you be wrapped like the hand house. I'm gonna burn that cocker down.
Speaker 7: The melody.
Speaker 5: You little racketball will never make a sound. Fell trouble try.
Speaker 9: You'll never find an end soon as you rather, we think.
Speaker 5: One more time, thank you.
Speaker 1: This is something rather than nothing.
Speaker 3: S