Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M. Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go with this, uh this weekends edition of the Weekend Fix you Gary Show already we just started, just I know, and we just walked down the hallway and producer Keana just said, yeah, it's the Weekend Fix.
Speaker 3: Usually do your hair like that on the weekend? Well, fluffy, it is flufy.
Speaker 2: You know what I did is I was I was doing good mornings, you know, like a like a dead lift without weight. But I was blowing my hair while blow drawing my hair while I was doing my good morning.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: That's why it's a little extra eye today, if you must know.
Speaker 3: All right, and then we've got show choir at three.
Speaker 4: Show choirs at two, oh got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, regular choir at three, and then Drama Club at three thirty A lot.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you theater.
Speaker 3: You must be exhausted when you get home.
Speaker 4: So one of the questions.
Speaker 2: One of the things that is I think unique about our show that's different from other people's shows is that we have either known each other for a long time, or been geographically adjacent to each other almost wealth your entire life, which is it's a weird thing to have not actually physically met you until you came to Los Angeles. But the previous thirty years we were within a couple of miles of each other almost the entire time, you know.
Speaker 3: And when you think about this, it's not that rare.
Speaker 1: I mean John and Ken grew up kind of in the same area, right, I guess that's true. I mean they started in New Jersey when they were what twenty something like that, right, I mean he was from a Long Island. John was from New Jersey, I think. But I mean it's still on the same coast. But we know other people that work in radio where they are from the same area.
Speaker 2: It's a small it is a small fraternity, I guess, I mean the industry itself.
Speaker 1: But it is fascinating. I think we're special in that we never met. We went to So here's how it all began. Once upon a time in a land far far away, like northern California. There lived you for many, many many years before I was even born.
Speaker 4: I was born in very long time ago. Easy.
Speaker 2: I was born in nineteen seventy three in Pedaluma, small town, Sonoma County, maybe thirty minutes north of San Francis.
Speaker 3: Were you born in Petaluma?
Speaker 4: In Petaluma Crest Hospital?
Speaker 1: I was going to say, did they have a hospital, and I'm not trying to be cute.
Speaker 4: Oh, it wasn't a big I mean they have multiple high I give two or.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: They had a baby ward, they had a whole baby mattornity ward and everything with dad out in the front smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 1: Now you know, they don't have a maternity ward in Nevado in my hometown anymore because everyone's old.
Speaker 3: No one's making babies.
Speaker 1: Oh really Yeah, if you're going to spit out a baby, you gotta go to the city here christ.
Speaker 3: Bridge, they're into morenn.
Speaker 2: The irony about the being born in Hillcrest Hospital is it turned into a rest home later in its life.
Speaker 4: Everything.
Speaker 3: It's a rest home up there now.
Speaker 4: And that's where my grandmother was, That's where my dad's mother was.
Speaker 1: Is that the grandmother she passed away, whose laundry used to pick up every week?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was really nice.
Speaker 2: The weird irony or full circle nature of me having been born at that hospital and then going and picking up her laundry when she was there as a resident in this restaurant.
Speaker 1: And then it's going to be even weirder and more full circle when he ended up there next fall nice.
Speaker 2: So I'm born in nineteen seventy three, and I go to I'm seven years old, and then in nineteen eighty another star was born.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so sweet.
Speaker 4: Star fell from the sky.
Speaker 3: Doesn't one of us die in the end of this movie?
Speaker 4: I don't hope not. I hope not. That's don't I end it all.
Speaker 3: L accurate? But yes.
Speaker 1: So I grew grew up probably seven eight miles away from you, about eight years difference in age, and then we lived our lives, and then we both went and never met my brother and you. My brothers a year or two younger than you, and you both worked at the same movie theater around the same time in the early nineties.
Speaker 2: They were building a movie theater in my town, but to get ready for it, we trained at the theater in Nevado, Yeah, which is where he worked.
Speaker 1: And I'm pretty sure you guys were there at the same time.
Speaker 3: Had had to be, because.
Speaker 1: When I saw you in that movie theater outfit that you still own when you wore it for Halloween.
Speaker 4: One recognize I.
Speaker 3: Did recognize you.
Speaker 1: So anyway, because that was like a time when we went to the theater all the time. I would go with my parents all the time. Every weekend we'd go to see a movie. But anyway, because you got a discount too.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, because you got it right, my.
Speaker 1: Dad cheps, are you kidding? So he was getting senior discounts when he was like forty five. So then we go and we both end up going to Chico State, which is in northern California. Not crazy, not a crazy coincidence, kind of a feeder school for Northern California a lot.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of friends, probably ten twelve people from my graduating class, not just my high school, but my graduating class ended up going to Chico State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, close by, but far enough from your parents. Do you have a little freedom. It was reasonably priced, all of the good things and a good school. So we both went there, and then we both went to a station in Sacramento, which was the nearest big city. And I say big using air quotes, but it was a big city nearest the school where we both studied.
Speaker 2: Radio appropriate market for somebody who's you know, it's a first maybe second job in radio, it's a good place to go twenty seven something like that. I was only there for I was there from ninety six to ninety eight. My wife and I got married in the midst of all of that, and then a few months after we got married is when I moved to Seattle. So i'd only been in I'd only been in Sacramento for a couple of years, and then summer of ninety eight is when I moved to Seattle.
Speaker 1: So ninety eight is when I graduated high school, went to Chico, and I started at KFBK in two thousand and one, right and was there for two and a half years, and then went to Seattle.
Speaker 2: So I was in Seattle until two I never met still never met. But and at this point this is one of those things where because we have because we're both working on the West Coast, because we know a lot of the same people now, just because we've crossed paths with the same people in the industry and working at the same station at KFBK, I knew who you were. I mean, I knew I'd kept in touch with people in Sacramento obviously, and they had hired somebody new and she also came from Chico State.
Speaker 4: Oh that's weird. That's funny.
Speaker 2: So in two thousand and four is when I leave Seattle to come here to La Early in two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and four is when I left KFBK and I went to Seattle.
Speaker 3: I stay there for a year.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and five, I moved down to KFI and you're here.
Speaker 4: So you'd only.
Speaker 1: Been here for a year by the time I got here. Yeah, yeah, you actually seemed like you had been here forever.
Speaker 4: Because I'm arrogant.
Speaker 1: That's the first time I've ever heard you say that that's true in forty five years.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing I've been on this.
Speaker 2: Land when I got here. I mean, some of the names that people may recognize.
Speaker 3: I agree, I should say that.
Speaker 4: You don't disagree.
Speaker 3: I said, I don't agree, you don't.
Speaker 4: I don't agree with my arrogance.
Speaker 3: I do not agree with your declaration.
Speaker 2: People like Jessica Rosenthal and Eric Leonard and Jay Lawrence. I mean, these names of people that used to work here were super great about welcoming me when I got hired, and I wanted to turn around to make sure that people assumed that I had that as much experience as they did when they got hired.
Speaker 3: You were not welcoming from what I remember, but I was. You were in the.
Speaker 1: Mornings and I was in the afternoon. I was reporting in the afternoon. But you've never been a big talker. You've never been like a glad handing BS guy. I can say, bullshit guy down the hallway. You've never been that guy. But sometimes it can come up, which is what plays into the reputation you had. This is not new to you. We've talked about this because you had the reputation that you were a d remember somebody upstairs with the.
Speaker 4: More recently, but that's just because you know it started that way.
Speaker 1: You come off like that to people who don't know you. You come off as just quiet, quiet, reserve guy, serious guy. You don't come across as like, hey, mister fun time guy.
Speaker 4: Am I mister fun turning into a therapy You're.
Speaker 1: You're so fun, so fun, You're so fun. But no, honestly, I laugh with you more than anyone. Okay, but but when you don't, yes, I laugh at you.
Speaker 3: You're very special.
Speaker 1: But when you don't know you come across as very straight leg cotten up like no nonsense, doesn't suffer fools, doesn't want to have fun guy.
Speaker 2: But that comes more out of uh again, this is a therapy sessue that comes more I think, out of being generally shy than anything.
Speaker 1: Right, But it's funny because you're not shy, well situationally face situationally shy.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can see that. I can see that interesting.
Speaker 2: But it comes across it and then I try to bump up my own self esteem and it comes across as arrogance.
Speaker 4: I don't know. See, now you've started it, do you want.
Speaker 3: Somebody else to give you a hug? So somebody else in the room give So.
Speaker 4: There were there were instances and it's funny.
Speaker 1: So so we's funny because my lack of self esteem comes out as me being an asshole.
Speaker 4: Right, So it's funny. It's a very similar flavor. I get it.
Speaker 2: But that that shared kind of parallel history that we've had over the course of well forty years basically just in terms of location is funny because it's played itself out in different instances and people that we know and people that we've known, and I don't mean just the people that have worked here. I mean that we've been friends with or have been acquaintances with that then kind of come back into our lives or Hey, do you remember this person or do you I mean you set a name, you set a name this week of somebody that used to work here, and I remember the name right, And I couldn't even.
Speaker 4: I couldn't even tell you what they did, what the context was. I just remembered the name.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And again that's part of it is because we worked opposite sides of the clock basically, So I mean I would rarely see you, maybe once twice a week. I'd see you when I either stayed later, you came in early, or something like that.
Speaker 3: My only interaction with you, and I would listen.
Speaker 1: For it is like if I filed a story in the afternoon that you would play in the morning. And I was trying and there I did a lot of feature stories, and I wanted to hear if you would have any sort of reaction, because I remember listening one day and I had filed something and you laughed at it, like you like the story ended, and you laughed and made some sort of comment. I was like, Oh, he's not an assle.
Speaker 4: And so I was like, yeah, got me.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, oh, he's a nice guy.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: There was a time so early in the show history and our show history, in twenty sixteen, the show had been on the air for seven eight months or whatever it was, we went to both the Republican and the Democratic conventions for Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. And the the Republican was in Cleveland. The Democrat convention was in Philadelphia, and they were I mean right after one another.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was no break in between. We went from.
Speaker 2: Cleveland, turnaround, flew home, got up, turned around, and flew to Philly. Like probably not a great travel idea, but that's what we did. But there was a there were a couple of people that we knew in Philadelphia from our time in Sacramento, and it was funny because that just the different memories you and I had worked with these people at different times and different I can remember, I want different memories.
Speaker 3: Remembering the second one.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe I'm conflating them with others definitely one. Yeah, And it was just funny because of our different memories of the.
Speaker 1: Growing up in the same house to siblings exactly. That's act different memories, like you remember this person is different than I remember this person because I was at a different time in my life when I encountered this person.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then it's also this this funny thing where once we're interacting with that person, we're I'm trying not to divert to what I was.
Speaker 3: And really dress like when you go home and you're with.
Speaker 4: Your parents exactly. It was very funny.
Speaker 2: But I think so the full circle thing I think about this, the kind of the weirdness about the intertangled lives that we've had over the course of twenty plus years, forty years. Yeah, is that at your father's memorial?
Speaker 3: Oh Jesus, now we're bringing up dead parents.
Speaker 2: Well, well, there's that. I mean, that's also the full circle thing. Like both my parents have passed, and you went to both of their funerals. When your father passed and we went to his memorial, there was a moment where and you had said something we've kind of laughed about. You have girlfriends that would probably know some of the people that I went to high school with just because of the locations, right, and we were standing outside Larkspur.
Speaker 4: Is that where we were.
Speaker 2: We're standing outside Saslito on the patio of this beautiful restaurant, and you had introduced me to your friend, and her boyfriend is there. They weren't married, right, I don't think they're married. Well, Matt, Matt Workman.
Speaker 3: Oh, Candas's boy Yeah, so she.
Speaker 2: Introduced You introduced me to Candace because you're like, this is my friend.
Speaker 4: I talk about her all the time.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, it's great to put a name to a face or a face to a name. And she says, this is my boyfriend, Matt, And I'm looking at Matt and I'm thinking, I know this guy from somewhere.
Speaker 4: I went to high school with that guy. Yeah, I went to high school. I went to high school with a guy that's dating one of your friends.
Speaker 1: Well, they've been together over ten years now. I'm basically common law married. But she listens to this show every day. She works at a pharmacy at CVS, and she makes the entire pharmacy listen.
Speaker 3: To this show.
Speaker 4: So sorry for her.
Speaker 3: I know, good thing it's the weekend and they're not listening.
Speaker 2: But we had said for years, oh, I'm sure there's some crossover there somewhere, and then and there's Matt, and I'm like, that's the this is the mind blowingest, craziest situation.
Speaker 3: So now we've been doing the show for what ten years?
Speaker 4: In October it will be ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what year did this area under my eyes start looking like balls? So, like, legit, testicles is what I'm dealing with under my eyes, and I just want to know when it started and why you didn't say anything, because it wasn't overnight.
Speaker 2: But you look at my face, see you every days, I see you every day, and you know I'm never going to look like.
Speaker 3: You've got balls under your eyes. I'm never going to maybe working some freaking cream.
Speaker 4: Little preparation.
Speaker 1: I know you're not into going under the knife, but you got testicles under your eyes, Shannon, Like anything, anything would have been helpful, because now look the damage is done.
Speaker 3: The balls have started to even sag a little bit. They're not even high and tight.
Speaker 4: I told you saggy balls under.
Speaker 3: Your eye, right, that's not the same thing.
Speaker 4: Maybe I was just trying to send you a signal.
Speaker 1: You don't have this problem. You don't have testicles under your eyes.
Speaker 4: Well there's a difference between.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a difference, isn't there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, are you gonna You're gonna freak out about this, aren't you?
Speaker 3: I just don't know why you didn't say something earlier.
Speaker 4: Are you crying? It looks like you're crying, even though you're not actually crying. Now if you they're sweating, all right? The weekend fixed.
Speaker 2: Every weekend, we're going to be adding a little extra to the show that you don't get to hear in the other twenty great idea. This is a fantastic idea. Tomorrow, I'm sorry, not tomorrow. Next week we're going to talk about physical ailments that we notice in the other person.
Speaker 3: Where else do you see testicles on your body?
Speaker 4: Always?
Speaker 2: Always, always make sure that you wherever you're listening to the podcast, you go on and you subscribe to the podcast. That way, it shows up in your inbox whenever you whenever we post.
Speaker 3: It, and hopefully there's a full bar there.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's a full bar you where where wherever you're listen to the podcast, make sure you rate the podcast. That helps us out. And then if you leave a review, it helps us out even.
Speaker 3: More, especially if the rating and the review is shiit.
Speaker 2: It does though, it does, it does because what it does is those times when we start to feel pretty arrogant, like I'm looking at myself. I just go and I read the negative reviews.
Speaker 3: But then the kind of idiots were problem.
Speaker 2: It's a it's an evil yo, yo that we live. Yeah, but it's better than having.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio LAP