Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to book two of our Star Wars book Club with of course our series The New Jedi Order. Book two is of course dark Tied one on Slot so.
Speaker 2: Written by Michael Stackpole, who's one of my favorites in Legends.
Speaker 1: Michael A. Stackpole, this is, like I said, book number two of how many total? Again it's I believe we said it was nineteen nineteen. Yeah, I was gonna say that, but I didn't want to be wrong. So nineteen books in this series, guys, as a reminder, these are not going to be very big. They're not going to be super detail oriented. We're only going to hit some of course favorite character moments. We're going to be talking about and in connections, whether some things that we see as far as those connections currently or something that we would like to see come to canon. And then, of course the main antagonists of this story so far is the Yujen Vong, so we were going to be talking about them some things that we have learned more so in this book moving forward. So with that, Katie, I really hate that you said that you liked Michael A. Stackpole.
Speaker 2: Did you hate this book?
Speaker 1: I didn't hate. It is a very strong word. I think, and we always talk about this, We talk about this in most Star Wars books, perspectives. This one had a lot, a lot.
Speaker 2: I can kind of see that, but I also kind of disagree because it's stuck to the same perspectives. Like we didn't get Ganner's perspective with Quorn, true true, true, but we got Kryn, Jason, Jana Anakin.
Speaker 1: I think, okay, so not necessarily, I think the only new one is Corn Yes, Kuren.
Speaker 2: Actually I say Luke's perspective. We really didn't even get Luke's perspective. We got Jason's perspective.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and I and you are correct. I think more so. I I think the easy target was to say perspectives. I think more so a lot is happening in this book, and I don't necessarily think it is Michael's fault. I think because of this being a series and initiative, he had to go somewhere from where we left off and of course vector Prime. So again, not gonna go over specific long form story arcs in this book, but I will say some ten Pole character moments here, things that stood out to me. Three characters specifically stood out to me that I really really enjoyed Anakin Jason Jana. I think and from what I am getting from already two books in, I think this is the closest thing that we could have gotten to what and that's literally what the title is, the New Jedi Order. I think this is Star Wars Legends way of saying, hey, we're passing the baton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, next generation kind of thing, like you still get Leya, you still get Luke, but it's from the outside character's perspective really, like Leya does have focused chapters, but it's all kind of exposition, expositioning the New Republic's attitude towards it. I did forget. You do get Gavin Dark later, which is kind of like your regular people persona in this he's not a Jedi. But it's good to get a regular person's perspective of the yuz On Vong in this book too, because they're so terrifying yea, and this book really expounds on it because you see the yuz On Vong like for but they really are. You start to at least because you find Jason ends up in bonds where he's not being tortured, but he's he's just in pain, Like that's all there's no use on vong around him. There's a similar case with Korin and Ganner rescuing a pair of students and they're just sitting in a pair of bonds in pain. Like yeah, and it's going to continue to lead up to the core philosophy of the Yuzonvong, which is a worshiping of the pain process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's really like, we're gonna talk more about the Yuzong Vong, but when I read the Yuzong Vong, I'm about to show you a picture of what I legitimately believe this book really entails as far as like when I have a picture in my head of the Yu Gen Vong and like this Star Wars Galaxy of Legends, it is literally this. It is literally Star Wars versus the Xenomorphs, because this is how I like, that is basically how I see the U Gen Vong, with how crazy they are, with the venoms that they use, the poisons, their agileness, they're kind of predatory attack tactician like mind. That's what I see like and and it's it's so funny because currently at the time of recording, This Alien Earth is coming out on FX and of course Hulu and Disney Plus, and as somebody who has always wanted to get into that universe, I am literally watching Alien Earth right now. I still need to watch the fourth episode and I am still lost three episodes in I like I almost wanted to message the the the group chat and be like, hey, can somebody explain this? Like I'm four years old, but like when I but I know who they are. I know the Xeno Morphs, I know Aliens, I know the franchise. And because of that, whenever I read this, and because of the way, even like the way Luke Jason Leah Mara like these people are describing the fear and the like in all sens and purposes of the word, how alien the yu Jan Vong really are? Like, it is so interesting as a concept, the fact that I still need to wrap my mind around the fact that these individual beings are from a completely different galaxy. It's not something that we have really gotten to really explore in the Star Wars universe up until now with the Soka right and even then, like there isn't really much in that that we've got to explore because there was no crazy alien that was attacking them. There was no weird obstruction of the force in that, whereas in here we I do like the the kind of aha moment that our heroes have in this book, it's like, oh, well, I can't sense them with the Force. So whenever there is literally a blank space in my force projection of reaching out, I know that the Yujon vonga right there when I feel nothing, when I when I when I see no fear, when I feel no fear, like that is where I know the Yujon vongar. And I think that is very clever. I think that's very fun.
Speaker 2: And this is all kind of what the early books in this series are about, is the Jedi kind of exploring what it means to still be a Jedi and not have access to something that does inherently make you more powerful than your enemy in most cases. I also really like how this book approaches the Force, and I think Michael A. Stackpole writing this works because he's known for his x Wing books. I think this and the x Wing Rogue Squadron books are the only books that he truly wrote for Star Wars, and I think it shows because he approaches the Force in a much different way than other people do. Oh he did write Eejedi two, I take that back his corn hard character of course.
Speaker 1: He's oh wait, that was him. Yeah, I loved Eye Jedi though was the That's the weird thing is that I love Eye Jedi and this I kind of feel like was all over the place. But again, like I said, I don't think it's really his fault. I think it's the amalgamation of where the story needed to go, a lot of like you were saying, exposition to what we were being introduced to, because this is still a new concept. Book two is still new, right, So I don't think it's it's a lot of him doing the legwork for the complicated. Hey, this is what's going on. Like I would have I at this point, it's so funny that I'm saying this only book two. But I would have really enjoyed if there was some sort of like interview on YouTube that like had like the first five people in the in the initiative of the New Jedi ordered to be like, hey, this is how we kind of wrote down like where this book was going. You know. I think that would be a lot of fun to to kind of get into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be interesting, No, because I know there's like some interviews, so we'll have to go back and find them. I think, okay, okay, But I like how Michael A. Stackpole did it because I think you see a lot of cool stuff with the Force and this you also see Luke and Mara's journey kind of expound as a couple. They're not together a whole lot, but the scenes where they are together are super important to their relationship.
Speaker 1: It's a very strong relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Stackpole apparently also did rate a Star Wars Union, which was their wedding comic for Quara and Luke, so there's that too. But there it's chapter twelve in this book where Anakin has taken Mara to Dantuyene at the request of Luke because dantuine is a very fo centric planet, very nature hoping to heal Maa, and Mara helps Anakin expound his relationship with the Force in a way that I think a lot of Legends fanboys forget was the whole purpose of Legends is, Hey, you do have access to the Force, but you are also human and you have limits. And she takes this conversation and it's so beautiful, like that, if I got a tattoo there's one quote in that chapter you can't hear a whisper if you're constantly shouting. That would be probably the tattoo that I would get is because it's such a powerful quote that people forget to listen, and you see it a lot nowadays, like is so powerful. And I love how Stackpole transitions this to the fights that Luke has where he uses exponential amounts of the force, where he rescues Jason from the usual Bank because Jason has a vision. He thinks he has a dream where he's supposed to go rescue the slaves that they have found on Belkadon. What did you think about that?
Speaker 1: Well, I was just about to ask I I and it's not really an ask. I think it's so fun. I think a lot of these Star Wars fanboys could not read this book.
Speaker 2: And the reason why because they claim to.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's the thing, like they're like, oh, legends, legend, legends, guys. This literally did exactly what the last Jedi did. They made look Luke looked like a badass. And then immediately after they made look Luke looked like a badass, they made him look that made him look is kind of pushing it for uh, the last Jedi.
Speaker 2: But he is show age.
Speaker 1: They show his age, They show that he has limits. He is not this you know, uh, unlimited bad ass that can do any and all things, you know. Uh. And it's so interesting because Michael puts emphasis on these moments. They're there is a pause in the entire setting to give this moment to Luke of Okay, hold on, I'm gonna breathe, okay. And I love how he even phrases it in his in his writing, there's a lot of oh, I need to catch my breath. He even like stutters and stammers whenever he's talking in these moments, Like he talks to I forget who it is at the very end, and he's like, you know what you do, you whatever you think is good?
Speaker 2: You dotor.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the other moment is he he does what you were talking about in the beginning, where he finds the space around this yujuon bomb creature and like helps guide it basically to where he can get torpedoes in it inn that'll explode. It's such a big pull of the force that he legitimately passes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Afterwards, he's talking to the senators yeah, whatever you want to do, I'm just gonna lie here like and then passes out. He is a badass and he knows how to use the force appropriately, but he's also human and do you know.
Speaker 1: It's even wilder and again this you can correct me if I'm wrong, because at this point, at this point in time, and like it is so interesting as somebody who has only read like a very small handful of legends so far, like from the timeline of where we're reading right now, because like I only know when our heroes are young, and they're like, you know, very they're very very young in their hero age. You know, here he is showing his age. He hasn't had kids yet though, and I note that they have kids, like the one kid. He has one kid. But the thing is, I know that he eventually has a kid, and in my mind, I'm like, dude, you could barely keep up with your nephews, Like I could only imagine how it's gonna be like when you have a kid. Man, But I oh, I the the character moments that I wanted to talk about was, uh, this moment with Jason when he is fighting the gen Vong because of it was a Jason or was Anakin?
Speaker 2: Where because we has to rescue who WU has to rescue?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's Anakin, right, he goes with.
Speaker 2: Jason t Belkadon Anakin goes with Mara to Dantuine.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. So so it is it is Jason. I really enjoyed this moment because and call me a sucker for kind of loving the undergo the underdog and kind of like the losers of our stories. But again, like you said, Jason gets this false sense of knowing the future because of his teachings, and it's Jason is such a prick, But I I love this very teachable moment. You guys have to remember, Luke only knows so much. He did not He was not raised in the time of the Jedi with an extensive amount of archives, with so many other people to talk to about these things, right.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 1: From what my understanding is as far as legends, Luke probably only had a very small handful of like less than five people to really lean on when it came to creating his academy, you know, bringing up the New Age of Jedi and everything else. So like he's not going to know everything the people that he kind of leaned on. Are not going to know everything, but they know of things. So this thing of oh visions, oh what visions? Oh well, visions can kind of show you the future. Okay, well what does that mean? Oh well that it means that it could happen or it couldn't happen. And you know, it's really the interpretation of how you see the force and blah blah blah. And so like the way that Jason is so confident. And I love that dynamic between Jason and Anakin because there's two life life lessons that we're learning here through them because again, like you had said, with Anakin and Mara, he's learning, hey, you have limits, you're human, right, whereas Jason is learning the same thing but through a completely different mean, right, And so being so confident, and like, I like how Jason was trying to, you know, have this philosophical talk with Luke with like like stop it, no, but he's like, we're Jedi. We're Jedi, which means that we're the good guys. We're the people who save people, and so we have to go do this. And Luke is like, no, you're only how old is he sixteen? And and that's what He's like, you're only sixteen. You only have the experience of a sixteen year old. You have many years ahead of you, so you'll have a lot more time to learn these things. But let me teach you something real quick. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do something.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, and he expounds on like, hey, like we have to work for the entire galaxy, not just people. And like it. I like seeing the parallels between Ganner and Jason because they kind of have the same ideals because Ganner wants to go save the slaves too, and it's like, well, we're their only hope and Chorn's like, hang on, if you actually listen, you will know that they're basically dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like there's no.
Speaker 2: Point like in trying. Where's like, if we can rescue the people that we do know are safe, that we can get out with this information and save the next people. Like I do enjoy seeing that parallel. Do you I have a question for you? Do you know where Jason ends up? We have talked about this, but do you remember?
Speaker 1: Uh? I don't think so. I don't think I remember.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am going to spoil this for you, but it's like twenty something. You're is not twenty it's probably fifteen years after this, so it's down in the process he turns into a sith word.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, I remember you saying this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So with this conversation and knowing that, can you see this transition?
Speaker 1: I can totally see it. And the really funny thing is is now being reminded of that the crumbs are there, The crumbs are This is setting the groundwork for sure, and I really like how like I think it was, was it correct me if I'm wrong? It was Jason that was kind of like hitting on Danny. Yep, see again, laying down the groundwork for Okay. So, so the the way that he had his interactions with Luke, you know, uh selfishness pass to the dark side with Danny. Okay, Danny his his his selfishness with uh, with love and and and the fear of losing and and and all of these things right past to the dark side. Like they're setting all of this up. And I really like that now now that that is kind of like in my head, I'm like, okay, I can I can see where this is going. But I kind of like, how if this was legitimately something brand new that I was reading. I could probably come up with that guess, But you can almost say the same thing about Anakin almost. And the reason why I say this is every character can have a redeeming moment, right you. So Jason has those redeeming moments here. Anakin has those redeeming moments here. But Anakin has it just as hard. Look at the conversations that he had to have about Han Solo, about his father hating him for the fact that Chewbacca is dead and all of that. There's so much weight on Anakin. I can see one more toothpick on the pile completely breaking him, so like I could see it going either way. And even like in all of that too, I really Han Solo had very minimal parts in this book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he literally one.
Speaker 1: He literally only had the one conversation about, oh, you know, you don't know how Chewbacca felt I was his best friend. You don't know that he was proud of me. Blah blah blah. He hated me, he hates me, he hated me in his last moments, blah blah blah. Like there was all that, but like Anakin wasn't even there in that conversation and Anakin was saying the exact same things about his father towards him. Yeah, like that was, uh, it broke my heart. It broke my heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's It's super intense. And the book after Ruin, which is the next book that we're gonna be talking about, there's a there's another duology by James Lucino and it goes into Hansilla. Like Han is the main character in that one, so we will get to Han's part of the story. But yeah, just seeing how the twins and then Ana can handle everything, it's super interesting, especially like me knowing where they all end up. I'm not gonna spoil like too much. I wanted to bring up Jason, but like, ah it, it's super powerful, and I'm kind of remembering the next bits of.
Speaker 1: Ruin, so to to veer away from that and instead of trying to spoil me, let's kind of go down the same path with our next topic. And this will probably be the last topic because we already talked about the Jean Vong, But one of the topics that we wanted to talk about is canon. What are some of the things that we saw in this book that could very easily fall into canon. And what are the things that we see? Oh, this clearly influenced what is now canon. We already mentioned one. I think the story of Luke Skywalker. I think that is very much there is some influence here. Now do I know that? Oh my gosh, Johnson, do I know that he read New Jedi Order? No, I have no idea if you. But coincidentally, boom, we've made it into canon. Luke Skywalker's an old man. He's dead now. But you know, we got to see there was some evolution there. There was a show and age, and I think again, like we said, also, it's kind of the only path to take because you are, like we're saying, with the New Jedi Order, we are passing the baton, We're moving to a new generation. And so the only way to do that without killing off your characters is, oh, let's make them a little older to where they can't be the hero all the time. So, Katie, what are some things in this book that besides like the obvious, like, oh, it would be so cool if they adapted the yu Joan Vong into Cannon. What are some things here that you could very well see be implemented into Cannon.
Speaker 2: I would love to see Gavin come in. I I really think Gabon is such a cool character, and going back to Rogue Squadron and everything, I think he fits very well in the story that's being told. And instead of Wedge Antilles and Tycho Kelchu recreating Rogue Squadron, you could potentially introduce him at Mando Vers and go, hey, I'm rebuilding Rogue Squadron in the name of my brother, Bigs, Luke Skywalker, Wedge Antilia's all these people like and I think that could be such a cool moment that's a gig fan service sye, but also works with the story that's being told. The other one I was gonna say was the Force stuff, which you already brought up. I think the Force is such a big thing in this book.
Speaker 1: Well, and and we have kind of talked about this with Throng. Right in the Throng trilogy, we were introduced to those creatures that no agree no, no no, the other the other creatures that prevented like Force. Yes, So like there's so many things that like we've kind of said that play along with the Force. And I love, by the way, every person who is a true fan of these characters loves their characters being in a challenge. If I saw my heroes winning all the time, it would get boring, which people think that's how Superman is, but that's not how he is. He has challenges. He's an interesting character. Stop hating on Superman. But I digress this. I would love the way that the Yu Jean Vong are kind of hidden from the Force, are kind of a force negative if you will. I think that's a very interesting concept. I think that does place a very big challenge for people who do use the Force as a crutch, which is a lesson that Anakin learned in this book. I think that would be an amazing thing to be put into Cannon. As far as characters in the same vein as you. And just because I did end up reading Eye Jedi on my own, corn.
Speaker 2: Horn such a good character.
Speaker 1: I made the joke a very time ago when when I first read the book, Uh, we were in a small group chat with Chris Uh from my manner that like, oh, Coran Horn is literally just Batman in the Star Wars universe. The book should really just be called I Batman.
Speaker 2: And I do love how Ey Jedi gets brought up in this where Ganner's like, well you went vigilante pode, why can't we?
Speaker 1: And I love that. I love that For one, Michael, uh, don't know how you found us on Patreon, But if you ever scare me like that again with Gavin, with with Koran, I swear to god I will never buy another one of your books. That I was so like, I was sad. I was so sad, but like how like peaceful he almost went I'm like, okay, as long as he wasn't being ripped to shreds. You know, he went out on his own accord. You know that was kind of my I kind of gave in to the moment. And then literally literally the last chapter starts with him oh and then I kind of was just floating in the air and I'm like, you, son of a bitch, Son of a bitch, why would you do that to me? But I loved it, like because again, one thing that I actually really love about corn Horn as a character is like, you have these ideal stereotypes as like Jedi, and I feel like corn Horn breaks that stereotype every direction. He's a freaking psychopath also, which does which makes me believe more so that he is the bat Man of the Star Wars universe. He's like, oh, yeah, hey, hold out your lightsaber real quick. I'm just gonna grab it real quick. You know, Like there's so many different ways you could go about doing this, Koran, Like why would you go and do that? Which, again, like, as far as things going into canon, I need more force abilities in Cannon. I think is is something that I would really appreciate. Uh, there's so many interesting things that legends put into the force and the one that I'm talking about in this book, Koran has the ability to reduce pain and share it and so and it's for like a really interesting, like unique purpose for this part of the book. And so he's like, hey, the only way that I could re really feel pain unintentionally and intentionally is you know, just holding a lightsaber by the blade. He's such a psycho and I love it.
Speaker 2: So my last question for you, what did you think of the true last chapter you called Korn's re Emergence.
Speaker 1: Yes, so that's that's chapter Vong. Yeah, I was gonna say, well, that's chapter thirty six. The last chapter. The epilogue is the it's the it's the epilogue with the US on Vong. I will say, this is very like and of course this is this literally can't be it because of course we are in the year twenty twenty five. This is very post credit scene. This is very like, This is very MCU coded of like like it's it's it's every stereotypical post credit scene where like the camera zooms in on the villain and he has one last word and like fades the black like this is the very stereotype post credit scene for one. But I like a there's something about a mustache twirling villain that I just love. And this is exactly who this is. Remind me who the character name is it is shot, Yes, yes, I I love it because again it all tends and purposes throughout book one, throughout book two, the Yugen Vong are primal. They are inhumane. There is there is nothing thing that should connect you to these creatures, right, and so to see at the very end they actually have conversation, there's dialogue. There is a brain in that skull of theirs. That is what's more intriguing to me than anything because again, like all of that that I said, but like near the end, when you learn that the u Gen Vong have infiltrated the ranks of the Republic and they're like, oh shit, like they could be any one of us. Where are they right? And Leah gets to a moment where she's on a standoff with one of them and the Ujen Vong just says, hurt me. She dies. Very minimal there, there's it's not a heavy dialogue, there's not a huge back in. It is very minimal. It is again showing you there's not a whole lot to these beings. They just know murder. And so to get the dialogue that you do in the epilogue, it piques your interests into being like, Okay, there's a lot more to these characters. There's a lot more to the yu Jon Vong. What does this mean? And I think that's what really draws you win. But like again, like it's just just me as the classic comic book guy, I love a mustache twirling villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think this one is especially interesting because this is where they first learn like or this iteration of the Yuzon bank, this force is first learning of the Jedi with the two Jedi for the output is what they say that Koran killed were Shy's family. Yeah, and so now he's like, I will find well.
Speaker 1: And that was the thing like when I had to write, I read. I had to read the epilogue twice because I was like, they keep saying Jedi, but who are they talking about? And then when I when you read the context of it, you're like, oh shit, this is the the one that that Koran killed. He's wanting to kill Koran. And then motherfucker Michael, if you kill or anybody anybody, don't he Katie. Okay, all right, now that's just spoiling right there. Koran's dead, dead to rights. I see it right there, all over your face, Katie. She's covering her her face body. It goes if I.
Speaker 2: Know next book.
Speaker 1: I know that I can't get attached to these characters because literally they're not canon, so like I can't get too attached to them. That's for one. For two, I know that he is not of the original three heroes, so he is expendable like like that is just like the way that Star Wars is. But I I love him. He is. He is a great character. I like I said, when I just randomly decided, hey, and and this is more so because we were so graciously given the audio files. Yeah, we were getting the audiobook files for Eye Jedi, and I was like, I'm just gonna read it. We had no intention on reviewing it at all. Uh So when I grabbed it and listened to it, I was like, yeah, but this is probably my new favorite character in Star Wars. And again, he.
Speaker 3: Is a younger adult middle age in I Jedi compared to now, I like, I look at him like almost like a commissioner Gordon like he is.
Speaker 1: He is a veteran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's basically the same age as Luke. Yeah, he's around there. So yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I got.
Speaker 2: To meet his son in this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I kind of like the way he defeats the the Yujen Vong is kind of like a lesson that he got from his son, which I thought was really fun. You can never you know, you know the old saying of old dogs can't learn new tricks. That's not true. That's not true.
Speaker 2: You never stopped learning exactly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I I enjoyed this book. I do think that because of how heavy it is, take your time with it. Whoever is reading along with us, take your time with this book. Uh. Really absorb everything that you can. I'm scan reading this and and and kind of pumping them out as much as I can so that way we can do these, which doesn't mean I'm not going to go back to these, like I think once we do finish this, you know, I then will have all the books. I am literally and Abby's gonna hate me for this. I am buying a physical copy of this book, and I am buying a digital copy of this book. So like I have, I have a book like literally right next to my bed, but like sometimes it's a little too bright and if I turn it down, it's not bright enough. So I'm like, if I read it on my phone, it's just fine. So so I'll just be like, what chapter am I on? Cool, let's just go right to that.
Speaker 2: Mike Kindle's my best friend. I obviously own every single one of these, and I went to my mom's this week and I was like, I don't feel like packing my book, so I'm going to buy it.
Speaker 1: Guys. And also I want to give a huge shout out to Barnes and Noble for still how these on order. I am. I am buying these like literally after this recording right now, I am going to Barnes and Noble, and I am buying the third book. These books are only eight dollars at Barnes and Noble. They are also only eight dollars on digital, so it is sixteen dollars for two books. That's a steal in this economy. That's a steep so and the only reason why I'm doing it is because I'm literally donating plasma and buying these books. So I'm not using any of our real money. Is the excuse that I've been giving Abby. She's like, why you keep buying books. I'm like, oh, but it's it's I'm not dealing it. I'm not touching our budget whatsoever. It's literally just I'm selling my body to read these books.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean you're not wrong. Oh it still sucks, but.
Speaker 1: Hey, right now, it's all worth it. If these books start to suck, then it becomes a real problem. You know, I'm selling my body for bad media. That would be horrible.
Speaker 2: But no, I'm having to start buying only one copy of the book.
Speaker 1: Exactly, but I'm having a lot of fun with it. I we have seventeen more books to go, y'all.
Speaker 2: We will be talking dark Time number two Ruin next month, so we will see you guys then. May the Force be with you