Speaker 1: This is the seventy seven w ABC Mini Cast.
Speaker 2: So we have a very interesting guest tonight. This fellow here was the original based vocalist of a terrific group, R and B group, a duo op group, and really I think they had gospel in them too. Listening to some of their music there very very versatile. His name is Ron Gathers, and I believe Ron is in the Philadelphia area, Is that correct? Ron? All right, Hiya, welcome you to our show. I'm so happy to talk to you. I've loved your music for a long time. So Ron, what is happening with you?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: What's going on with the group? Now? Well, first of all, let me tell everybody it was the Majors. Last night I had a wonderful dream about you. I tried to sing it, but I guess I don't leave that to you, guys, really leave it to you. Tell me about the group. How did you form? Originally? Were you Philadelphia's? A couple of born in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back in nineteen fifty four, my brother was debate to the group, but they didn't have no name.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: It was like a street corned d up, like nineteen Holland Street in North Philadelphia. My brother and the other guys was staying in and I used to come up there after school and try to sing with them, and they would shoot me away and I couldn't sing. I had no voice. So I used to go home and crying, and I'm telling the radio, I'm thinking, my brother, Love, my brothers, come out to give your base. I would take all the groups, you know, the the moon Blow and Famingium. Ever try the base with all the groups back then, you know. And that's how I developed my voice. So right now, my brother God went into the Air Force and they were looking for a base uh thing. So by that time I had developed myself my voice into the base, and they set me into the group.
Speaker 2: Ah. So they finally accepted the baby brother. That's that's good, That is good and uh and then then the group of course went on. What was the original name of the group of wrong. It wasn't Majors, wasn't.
Speaker 1: We we we we uh took the name of Vertatile, but that uh we recorded on that sounded lunday dundee there. But we found out there was another group already on the contract for that that name, so we had to change it. So we all had started to come up with a song and a name for a new name for the group, and I think it Dean Grass came up with the Majors. We call them the general that had to hashole all kinds of different names from then everybody liked the majors, so we took that out.
Speaker 2: So where where did that come from? So where did the name major? I mean, it's kind of military.
Speaker 1: We just took that. Like I said, we were calling all different kinds of names. We call our something majors. That's how it came about.
Speaker 2: That's it as simple as that. Somebody yelled out shouted out majors. Excellent, and uh so what happens next? So the group of forms and uh, what was the first song you recorded? Who would you record for?
Speaker 1: Well, we were we were with a guy named Buddy Carr. Well he had a real estate on this and they a bar down the center city and we were we were right around the corner from israela estate buen the song good you Avenue right there four or five blocks and he heard about us, and uh he said, well, okay, you gotta manager, said no, I about me managing you. So we need we needed somebody, you know, the new new people. Sure know he having the new people. So he uh ended up singing the bar and mostly got a comment from the city hall in Senate City. And that's so then he introduced us to UH that guy UH named uh with predictions. In fact, he's the one that did Timmy Hunt Chuck Jackson's John Mona Cry Human. So we uh he we recorded the song he came up with Dundee Dundee. We had to say songs he wrote and we recalled underdiversatile because after the town we selected the name the Versatiles and uh we didn't know at the time that somebody else had the name. So so we recorded the rogue cow record UH and uh Don Greenberg. But the gown up in New York and.
Speaker 2: Then that's uh you you were on the way, You're on the way. So when did the majors get ahold of last night? I had a wonderful dream about.
Speaker 1: After that, the same guy UH money Cobra sold it to the UH contract to a guy called Bill Fox. He was bigger real this guy old Oivy bar frow it up there almost and uh he was he looked at the time. He looks went up with this ddiction really and uh that's up and took us up to New York's trhis up to New York and uh we he had these songs, uh uh uh and one of them when done, I mean it was wonderful dreams. We never sung that high in our life.
Speaker 3: Boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh so.
Speaker 2: That was a treasure to give someone gave you a fresh Now tell me about the lead wednesdayed Rick Cordo.
Speaker 1: Cardo Cargo saying, we've uh in Philadelphia. We were likely looking for a real good lead singer, like I said, and uh he happened to happen to be like we're on the same block, comisty. They were deterbed. There was the tutors.
Speaker 3: Around there and and us from the.
Speaker 1: Start Legs and then the New Magic. They weren't too far away. All of us came from the same area.
Speaker 2: That's that's quite a neighborhood. I guess it was. It must have been Philadelphia Eraphoia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so uh he look came to wheearst he came heard about us looking for and he came over and I were member rehearsal, and I he started singing, and he said, I say, you know, with the high pal Feather like uh Thompson from the Hysted it was just as good, it's not better for me and and uh that's how we shot out with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so then then we repented. Uh Della Mars she was in a girl group and they broke up and we said, we said there were well her mother used to have her parties and buy us the same and all the all the parties and when that and that's how we hooked up with her. So we said, well, come on, we come o you know Steve, Well come on from she did, and she hit right in.
Speaker 2: But well, obviously obviously the fit was absolutely perfect. How would you describe the major so you know, R and B. I hear a little gospel every once in a while. Tell me how you described.
Speaker 3: The school came up in the church. All of us came up, so I was right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so uh, all that background with Baptist y'all came up to the Baptist church. But uh, we we didn't do any penny gospels house. They always did you walk here, We're action and all after the other groups and what not. The Famingo's favorite favorite groups of loonlow. Yeah, but all the top groups you know back in the day. So we uh started, you know like that and uh so, like I said, when we recorded Rubbers the Dream, Uh, we wanted really we wanted to uh you uh time Hochel. We wanted that as a stay shy, but he said, no, We're going to go with a wonderful dream. And it's the call.
Speaker 2: Well it's a great tune very and that was good. Somebody gave you a treasure. Now what's happening with the major zilla? What do you want to do? What are you booking? Are your booking concerts room?
Speaker 1: No, we look at but well I took a new group, you know, every bottom the last of the you know, well, Frank child Jr. Frank Chiut, they want to be second tenor and my and my risenal group. His son Frank Cayle Jr. Had been singing out songs because he was three years old.
Speaker 3: Come through.
Speaker 1: I reheards so every reheard and he would never met rehearsal. So guess up, he wound up down and just like Ricky Cardo, it's not better, I'm saying he so I got here he him and uh Johanna Crump and uh and uh uh uh.
Speaker 3: Another guy Uh yeah, sorry, take it time, take it in.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they had a group period, the three of them had a group together and uh before so you've got to get together each other. Background.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let me ask you this run ifact. Somebody wants to book the majors and the It sounds good. I mean, you're telling me somebody is as good as CROWDO. Well, that's got to be terrific, because well, what a what a false little voice here. I've never heard.
Speaker 3: Anything like that.
Speaker 2: And how do people how do people reach you?
Speaker 1: Ron? Is there a website they can reach me my poems? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, don't don't give out the phone. I don't want you to give out your phone.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Do you have a website?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't give up, Ron, you know better. You know better than that. Okay, okay, all right, give me the website. That's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 3: Give me the website, the major's website.
Speaker 1: You can go there. Everything about us is on the website.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the way to do it. Okay, Ron, good, I'm glad I stopped you. You're gonna start getting phone calls inviting you to two picnics and the to the going out shopping. Okay, Ron, you know what I did?
Speaker 4: Ron?
Speaker 2: We put together. By the way, I love your song Trala Law that was probably I mean, I loved a wonderful dream. I played that all the time, but I don't know what they were. There's something that tickles me.
Speaker 3: I love it too, you too.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play a little bit of it, all right. Well, listen, we're gonna God bless you, and I hope people will call you and very fortunate when they see you guys perform together. And I'm glad that you're You're still doing it wrong the new group.
Speaker 1: But like I said, I took him to Vegas three times. Rocket show up in uh in Vegas three times.
Speaker 2: I'm looking, I'm looking ye all right, all right? So your majors dot com w So it's a w w W dot majors dot com. Is that the address?
Speaker 3: Oh, my.
Speaker 1: Majors.
Speaker 2: I hope that you you don't what I have a right now. I have a medley, medley of your hits and alone and Trilo laws in this I want everyone to hear it. Ron, thank you so much for your time, and I look forward to being on the stage with you sometimes you are a major act, a major actor. Thank you, buddy, stay well, stay one, stay well, and I look forward to being with you. Thank you, Ron, Ron gathers Guss.
Speaker 5: Oh you send.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 5: Oh ma, jeep, key guy, he's back guy if he's kill me. She's been sweet and she can be.
Speaker 2: She happy and that's the reason I'm again.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 4: Oh my jeep, lovely lucky guy. When my baby watch the creek her fas every mon.
Speaker 5: Turn and that's there.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 5: Last night I had one dream about you last night. I had dreams last night.
Speaker 2: I wonder dream.
Speaker 5: I dream I helped you and my mom. Can you do me with your job? You the wonderful dream she was the wonderful.
Speaker 4: Had last time, a wonderful love.
Speaker 5: Were all so s.
Speaker 3: Want me?
Speaker 5: Then last night one you wonderful dream. Last night I had wondering about you. Last night I had dream okay.
Speaker 4: World about you?
Speaker 2: Oh nice sah. Oh that's good. So you have the majors everybody, and thank you, Ron, were very interesting talking to That's really great. There's a real I guess you can see a pioneer, really a pioneer of rock and roll. That Philadelphia sounded a great mixture. Of too often R and B and gospel.
Speaker 3: I was right