Speaker 1: Rockets fans, Welcome to The Rockets Launch Pod, an exclusive podcast from the home of the Rockets, Sports Talk seven ninety Red Nation. Get Ready, Ready, Get Ready. The Rockets Launch Pod starts now.
Speaker 2: Welcome aboard, Welcome back to another new episode of The Rockets Launch Pod, presented by Clutch Fans. I'm Benjubo's He's Pollo Olves, We're your host, and let's get right to it. Off the top. This is going to be a little bit of a downer because your Houston Rockets are now down two games to none to the shorthanded Los Angeles Lakers, missing their two leading scorers in Luka Doncic and Austin Reeves. With the series shifting back to Houston this weekend, this has gone as poorly as it reasonably could. This was a matchup where, if you listen to our previous pod, we were excited about it. The Rockets were excited about it, drawing the Lakers instead of the Nuggets, particularly given the Lakers' injuries, but even without them, the Rockets and most people around the NBA viewed the Lakers as their most friendly potential matchup among the realistic options. The Nuggets and Minnesota Timberwolves were also in there, and so even if all teams were at full strength, I think the Rockets would have preferred this matchup. And now you take out Luca, you take out Reeves. Certainly, there was a lot of excitement inside the building the final day of the regular season when the Nuggets inexplicably beat the Spurs and kept the Lakers at four. There was a lot of excitement from us on the pod. And then to go out to La and lose not one, but two bulks. The Rockets are the clear underdogs in this series, even if they have a talent advantage. Historically, teams that go up two OHO in a best of seven series win more than ninety percent of the time. So even if you don't think the Lakers are truly above ninety percent in terms of their series win probability, at this point, it's far better than fifty to fifty, that's just being real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Lron is thirty two and to zero and he's up to oh in a series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's been excellent. You do have to tip your hat to him. But I just think the way it's happened, if it was just Game one with Kevin Durant not playing because of the bruce knee he suffered at practice last week. It would be a little disconcerting in that long term. How does it make you feel that you're this dependent on a thirty seven year old Kevin Durant. I could see if the Rockets bounced back in Game two, just chalking up Game one to hatchtag Houston Sports, some really bad luck happened with Katie in practice after he was healthy all season, and you move on and you get back to the form you were in to close the regular season, when the Rockets finished nine and won their last ten games to get back to fifty two and thirty, same record as a year ago. The pallot Kat came back in Game two, and they were just as bad, if not worse. The shooting didn't get any better other than KD, who did make his shots. The turnovers were worse because kat was not prepared to attack the double teams that the Lakers sent to him and in both of these games. Follow The story is offense. The Rockets have not broken one hundred points in a game this series. To put that in perspective, the lowest two scoring offenses in the entire NBA. This season, the Brooklyn Nets and Milwaukee Bucks averaged about one hundred and six and one hundred and ten points per game. The Rockets have yet to reach a hundred in this series. So we can talk all day about the Lakers missing Luca and Reeves and not being as high powered as they usually are. If you're not scoring one hundred points, you're probably not beating anybody. And the Rockets aren't scoring one hundred points. I think they're averaging ninety six or something close to that. So you can, and I'm sure we will today quibble over exactly where the blame should go. How much of it falls on em Ujoka in terms of the rotation choices and the tactical strategies the Rockets are employing. How much of it goes to the players simply not executing Katie with the turnovers all per inch, Shingoon reach Shepherd, not making shots at a nearly high enough level for what they're capable of. You can point the finger at rafel Stone from a roster construction perspective. Do they have enough ball handling? Do they have enough shooting? There are different areas of blame, and reasonable people can disagree over what percentage goes to what entity? But I think the bottom line what we should acknowledge off the top, this is the type of series if it continues down this path to where not only the Rockets lose at this point, it's just as likely if they could lose in four or five games somehow, then they actually win the series. If it continues down this path, this is the kind of result that can change careers. And I don't know, you know, is it players on the team, is it coaches, is it executives? I personally think executives are the least likely, but you know, reasonable people can disagree same principle as a signing blame. But when you get this matchup, this can change a lot of things in the big picture. Because I think for most of the second half of this season, and especially when the Rockets closed the regular season strong got back to fifty two and thirty, we had sort of coalesced powlow around the idea that hey, the Rockets have shown enough and they did show some mental fortitude. Maybe they'll do that again the next few days. We can't rule it out, but I think we had seen enough to where we would have largely been okay even if it was underwhelming, largely running it back and hoping that Fred van Fleet, Steven Adams, maybe a return to hell for Dorian Finny Smith, some moves around the margins and basically have next year being a more complete version of this year's team. Well, things change when you drew the Lakers last pod. They changed in a good way because we were talking about, you know, the higher expectations that hopefully the Rockets could at least win around in the postseason for the first time since twenty twenty. But with those expectations comes a downside risk and if you fall short, especially if you fall short in an embarrassing way, which losing in a sweep or gentleman's sweep would be. I mean, that's the kind of, you know, perfect storm scenario where all of a sudden, some bigger pick sure changes, be it the players, the coach, whoever, are suddenly back in play. So I just want to acknowledge that off the top, I feel like the last couple of months hollow me and you, we've sort of downplayed the idea that the Rockets have to do anything drastic this offseason. This is the perfect storm where they might, like if they had drawn the Denver Nuggets and gone out in four or five games. It would have been very frustrating, but I think it would have been easier to sort of just tip your hat and say they're just better. That's a really good team. No disrespect to the Lakers, but they should not be winning. And it's not just that they're winning, they're winning with ease. The Rockets have led for I feel like a couple of minutes at most in the second halves of both Game one and Game two, the Lakers have clearly been in the advantage position. So it's not like the Rockets are doing something catastrophically wrong. No, the Lakers are just clearly the better team to this point in the series. JJ Riddick has his team more prepared than email Udoka, at least it looks like that to me. So this is the kind of result when comparing the rosters, when comparing you know, when looking back at the optimism that we all had, including the two of us a week ago, this is the kind of result where, if it continues, it can change a lot, not just now but into the coming months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm one hundred percent there with you. I think people are typically used to us being a little bit more moderate in our commentary. I think this this podcast might surprise a few people as we move forward. This series has just been a disaster from every angle you could possibly analyze it from, and it's not looking up for it to get better, because I think after two games it's established that at the very least these teams as currently constructed are on even footing even with the injuries it's seeing, and the Lakers do still have home court advantage. Even if you do win the next two games, you're then facing a sceneverywhere you have to win one away and you weren't able to win one away when Wuka and Reds aren't there. Lucas doesn't seem to be coming back, But how are you gonna win with Beeves there in a game, in a game seven, or in a game five, because you do have to steal a win and the Rockets are a lot better at home, and they might be able to level the series, but even then, what would possibly needed to be confident that they would be able to pull an up set when they weren't, when the Lakers would a lot weaker, And then when you think about it, just just looking at the teams right, let's forget the huge talent discrepancy, and we'll care about why the talent discrepancy doesn't show as much. But let's just look at the reasons the Rockets offense doesn't work, and we'll get into overarching moving into the future talk, you know, in a little bit, but just for now, for strengthly, for this series itself, seems like a big part of the problem is that the Rockets can't shoot, and a lot part and the big part of the problem why the spacing isn't there is because an open Chinglund both can't shoot. And then the other big part of the problem, at least talking point wise, is oh, read can shoot, but he can't defend at all, so you can't play a meter. And let's look at the mirror side of this with the Lakers. The Lakers are playing Carrot Vanderfield who can't shoot. De andrei Aiden can't shoot. That doesn't seem to all of Usdden will make their offense completely dysfunctional. And let's not pretend like le Bruns who mismatch and he's scoring forty a nineties not And then the mirror side for Redcap but the hook and Art's getting plenty of minutes. How are the rocket not able to exploit that on the offensive? Vent how is the luc And art playable? So even if you even if you want to, you know, get a little bit to the nitty grittyo things, and most people will point out that the biggest issues with the Rockets are that well their shooters mainly read can't defend, and that two of their star pieces or at least two pieces of the rotation can't shoot, and therefore you can't build an offense that works because those two guys can't shoot. And then I'm not going to argue at that point that's once again talked for later on in the poll, and I'm going to make some overarching takes on on on tim building and how this roster moves forward. But you can't say that the things that are ailing the Rockets don't quite just as well as much for the Lakers. It just, at the end of the day, comes down to first problem. You don't have a guy that can just create offense out of nothing besides Kevin the Red. But the Lakers also have just one guy that can do that in Lebron And it doesn't seem like applying the Rockets strategy, the Lakers strategy with kad to Laurno the Lakers that that doesn't seem to work. And yes, Lebron is a much better passer than kat Is, but once you're double teams, you know, getting out of it is not you know, doesn't require some insane playmaking jobs. It's mostly a team based thing. Right for your team to be able to punish when that's happened, then then you will even defensively at the rest of the Laker Steve Vendor builds a good defender, I'm not gonna take it away from him. Well, Bronn at this age is not a great defender. Reaction Moore is not a great defender. DeAndre Aiden himself is not a good defender, like that was legitimately the reason why he was considered the toxic ascid as a Max guy because he's not a good defender, and then obviously Luca Nard's not a good defender. It just it doesn't make sense for anybody looking at this series for it to be playing out the way that it is. And as you said, and if you want, if we want to use this to kind of segue into some broader discussion topics, this is the type of embarrassment that changes and that forces major changes in a franchise, whether that be strategy from the front office perspective or new people there, or coaching or and and and there's levels to it, right, there's no office level. There's pressure in the front office to be more I guess decisive, yeah, or bold. I was gonna go with bold. And there's changing people with DIF from office. You know, there's scales to it. Right at the lower level, you pressure them into being bolder. At the higher level you you you change people. And then at coaching there's two sides of it. There's firing Meyudoka, or there's bringing a guy in to be an offensive coordinate and have full control over what the offense looks like. And from the players respectively, there's levels to it. There's just there's you know, hoping Thread and Stig can change it and I nothing that's gonna cut it anymore. Beyond that, there's spending pigs on a superstar trade, or there's straining guys that you thought were untradeable of to this point, like alpurn Chingun for example. We're gonna get into that later. But this level of embarrassment I hope, and my fandom will be in question if it doesn't. Because I've said plenty of times before in this podcast, the only thing that could possibly make that could possib will lose me as a fan is not having faith in in Afron office. Because if you don't have faith in the people making the decisions and you don't have a path, then to me, there's no point in watching sports. That's why I could never be a fan of a team Michael Kings for example, not necessarily because of the success, but because of the having a qual path forward like the Sabona Saliburton trail, which I'm sure will get into later. Like that, as a fan will drive minuts. It drove minutes in the moment, just that there's no path. So if Rockets don't make a practic move, if this series ends as it seems like it's going to end, then I will start bringing that into question as well. It's just if something like that happens, like this is the type of thing that will make your organize Like that will make your organization lose respect around the week. This is the type of thing that players will be talking about years down the line. You know how the John Wall, This HiT's ass quotes is all over everywhere. And then there's him appearing on podcasts talking about how this functional the team was back then. And obviously he has some personal motives to say stuff like that. Obviously he wasn't for the same thing, and maybe that's how he copes with it. But I can very easily see KD, for example, in three four years, going on a podcast after retiring and saying, hey, remember that Houston team, Remember that burner stuff. Now that I can talk about it, Yeah, it was real, and you can see that the stuff I was saying I was actually right about in bad just bad mounting the organization or decisions made or on court decisions made, or players back on this team like this would be the type of the backle that hurts the perception of the team around the league, which is terrible. The Rockets are predu respect the franchise all in all, and it's the type of thing that will become kind of NBA folklore or if you want to call it like that. Remember the time the Rockets lost to the Lakers while missing seventy percent not seventy like sixty percent of their gap. The one time Lebron forty like you'll be've known as the team forty one year old Lebron carried a bunch of scrubs over in this forty one year like all time go to the Baits. We'll mention the Rockets in this light like this is a massive, massive, scandalous embarrassment of a performance if it does happen, if it doesn't happen, which is it's looking very likely that it will. And so you know, I'll use this to set up bens Rent a little bit, which is.
Speaker 2: Well, wait, wait a minute on that. So I want to address very quickly the next two games and stick with the micro because I really don't think a major adjustment is coming. I think it's pretty clear what we should remind people. The Rockets and the Lakers haven't just played twice. They have played four times in barely over a month. They had the two games on March sixteenth and eighteenth in Houston. Now they had Luca the Lakers that is, and they had Reeves as well, but those are not defensive difference makers. And in those games, especially the first one, it felt very similar to these two playoff games, and that the Rockets looked hopeless down the stretch, they couldn't figure out what they wanted to do out of the Kevin Durant double teams. KD also had some baffling turnover so he deserves some blame as well, even if he's scoring at an efficient level. And so with that in mind, like the Lakers are a different team on offense without Luca and Reeves, but defensively they might even be a little bit better. So in terms of how the Rockets are finally going to get the offense on track, I don't think there's going to be any radical changes in terms of, you know, team strategy. I think it's pretty clear that they have a certain way that they think this offense and these players can run, and if they have done it in a sample of four games within the last month, I don't know that one practice on Thursday before Friday night's Game three is going to lead to some radical changes in terms of how they play. Now, maybe they make some rotation tweaks, maybe Read Shepherd plays more, and the Rockets choose to just live with the defense. I don't know. It should be noted by the way that Reid has not shot the ball well offensively at all. So for all of those discussions. He needs to make the open shots that he's getting, although they have been limited to this point, Like there are things you can do around the margins like that. But I don't think you're going to see the Rockets from a tactical x's and o's perspective do something radically different. I think at this point they're attacking the JJ Reddick defenses the way they're going to attack them moving forward. And if there's any source for hope, I guess you can point to, you know, the old NBA adage that role players shoot better at home. The Rockets have shot terribly, the Lakers have shot pretty well. Maybe that changes in Houston. The Rockets are thirty and eleven at home this season. But I mean, even if it does change, number one, it's ridiculous that it takes that against an under man Lakers team. Secondly, even if you win both of these games this weekend, you still have to win either a Game five or a Game seven in LA at least one of them to win the series. So even if the shot luck does turn around at home, and you know, maybe you know the one bit of good offense the Rockets have had in fourth quarters against the Lakers. I would say that second game in March, Shinoon came back from injury and played pretty well. And in these two games, I think Shinoon's been a little timid because he hasn't had the touch near the rim. Maybe if Shangoon has more shots go in early in the game, he becomes more aggressive, decisive and clinical in fourth quarter situations as the lead guy out of the four on threes that Durant generates. I mean, that's the hope, but I don't think there's going to be any sort of radical change. I know there's some frustrations with the Rockets sort of allowing the double to come at KD as opposed to you in him off ball. I mean, at this point, we've seen it for a lot of this season, and we've seen it four times against the Lakers. All of those games have been competitive in the fourth quarter. We've sent it four times and barely over a month. So be it for you know, limitations of the roster choices from the coaching staff, roster construction, whatever you want to attribute it to. I don't think there's going to be anything that radically changes this weekend. I think in terms of you know, the Rockets somehow winning a couple of games, so you got to win one just to send the series back to LA and hopefully both to tie the series and make it a best of three. I think you just got to hope that that the shots go in, certainly from three point range, but also Shingoon making more shots near the rim, getting more confident, Maybe a men gets a friendlier whistle on his drives. I don't know, Like that's all I can point to Paolo in the micro, Like I know you want to talk macro and I do as well in terms of team building what it means moving forward, But I just think in terms of the micro, I would not expect any radical changes. I think you've just got to hope that some of the shots that didn't go in in LA do go in for you in Houston, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent that you know, some of it comes down to the dog that's not being able to shoot the end, some magnet wall, especially in Game one from the Lakers typically, and there's a bunch of starts out there if you want to look them up. A team winning the possession, you know, the possession battle by forty something possessions over two games, typically is not gonna lose the game if they can make shots. But at the same time, it doesn't feel like the Rockets are generating great looks and just missing. I just don't see like I was the guy that was that predicted for and oh and that's not an l on me. I don't see this team, if they didn't do it up to this point, being able to take a game of the Lakers in Game five or Game seven while holding all of the home games. I think it's pretty I think I'm actually confident that they'll hold the home games, just because they we play much better at home. But I don't think they'll be able to take one on the road against the Lakers, especially because it's only going to get tougher with the Reefs coming back and potentially we look all that it's looking unlikely and even then, like this cannot be missed within the discussion. Even then, even if the Rockets lose in seven and it's a your respectable loss, I guess it's not a gentleman's sweep. That's not a respectable loss, your massive favorites going to the series. This is a heavily injured Lakers team. There's no coming back from this unless you win the series. The only way to wash this all away is winning the series, and to me, that just looks like insanely unlikely. You know, you you you said you talked about the percentages, the ninety percent teams going up to and oh, I talked about you know, it's that. Plus it's a Lebron team. They're not going to relax, and so I just don't see that happening. And with that not happen, even if, for example, even if Katie stayed hurt, that still would not be an excuse.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's a massive indictment on the Young Care that even without Katie they're not able to beat this Lakers team. And it throws me back to last season where a lot of the time we were heavily relying on Dylan Brooks's hero ball to win games and to and to score, and it turns out that Dylan Brooks offense was actually somehow masking how bad our offense actually was as well. So this just signals heavy problems with the Young Care And we'll get into it in a way that barely losing or if Katie didn't play a single more game in this series and we lost that still wouldn't against mellow it out. It's a catastrophic, franchise altering event to lose the series, especially the way it is. We talked about last week that the Rockets got a massive break and that the fact that we're likely going to win against the Lakers could mask some hard decisions that might have been able, that might have been needed to be made. Have they done the nuggets and just lost in round one? Well it turns out that, you know, there's the other edge of that knife, which is, well, if you do lose a free series, what everybody held was a free series, then that slammed them, determines that you need to make major changes. And it's and you can't. You can't go the let's hold out and keep flexibility an optionality route any longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and let's turn our attention to the macro because if this series ends, as I think we're both increasingly resigned to think that it will, there's going to be at least one major change, and maybe major changes plural. I just can't can't see the Rockets running it back if they go out in four or five games, held maybe even six or seven to this version of the Lakers, when you consider the excitement they had at drawing this team in the playoffs, I'm sure they won't commit to it. In the press conference after the series. They'll say they want to keep their options open and they'll evaluate well. Just as last offseason, there was a lot of lip service about Jalen Green after that Warrior series, and we saw what happened a month later when the market opportunity magically came about. I think the same could be true this year. Now. My personal opinion, if I had to rank in order of you know, what's most likely to happen and what's least, I would say a major change to the roster is most likely. In between would be the coaching staff, at least to the head coach. Now maybe you know the staff beneath the may Udoka, maybe that would go you know, one A, one B along with the roster. And then least likely would be the front office. At least in terms of Rafelstone and Eli Whitis. I think you're least likely to see major movement on that front. And one thing I want to address off the top on emai Udoka, because I do think some of the arguments have been mischaracterized and We've addressed this point in previous pods. So there's some talk out there that Udoka is safe because of the contract extension. That might be true, but I think it's less about the money, and Paolo, you made this point a few weeks ago. It's less about the money in the contract and more about what the contract represents, and I think that's important to understand because I think we can both agree. Emay Udoka has been underwhelming this season, and I think at the end of this playoff run, whether it ends in a few days or somehow goes on to at least the second round, barring something crazy, we're going to look back at this season and say, even with the injuries, emay Udoka left us wanting more. And that's the most generous and reportation I can give. Relative to the first two seasons, where Eme clearly did more right than wrong, this year doesn't feel that way. There are understandable reasons for the frustration, and so a lot of the pushback nationally. As we know, the Rockets aren't going to make a coach and change because they gave Emy this big contract last offseason. It's not that Tilman Fertita is going to stick with a coach he doesn't believe in, simply because he doesn't want to eat the contract and be paying two coaches for the next few seasons. I don't think it's that. If the Fertitas clearly see a coach out there that they believe in more and that they think could unlock more from this roster, it's possible, especially if the Rockets go out sad to the Lakers. Like I've dismissed all that talk in the past, I still think it's very unlikely, but anything is on the table if you go out the way things have looked the last few games, this is sort of the perfect storm scenario. With that said, the reason go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just wanted to point out before you move on from Utoka that there's something to be said for the fact that email Udoka's success, both early on with the Rockets and with the Celtics came from having top tier coaching staffs. With that produced you know, head coaching candidates later on. Back with the Celtics, obviously, Will Hardy, obviously Missoula just start coaching staff back then now with now with the Rockets for the past few seasons, obviously, Ben Sullivan was highly regarded Royal Ivy as you know, highly sought after. And you know Thiago Splitter, who is right now the head coach, interim but head coach of the Port pontoreyal Blazers, who took a team that was shaken by a huge gambling scandal and you know, turned that young team into now a playing team that's one to one in Thai one one in a series with the Spurs, regardless of whether Wenby had to go out intern or not. So maybe he may Doka is a good tip of the spear type of guy, good leader, but needs you know, the coaching staff to enable him to be that guy and not be lackluster in other parts of whether it be player development, whether it be offensive coaching, and even defensively this season it's it seemed like a Rockets don't have the same power they had last season defensively. Offer some of that personnel. But just to say, you know, argument to be made that as you were saying, it's not just about the contract, it's also about well, you're not going to make a move for the sake of making a move. You've got to have a guy out there that you believe would be better than Udoka right, and and then and you could think, hey, it might make more sense if it's not a better candidate out there that's yer than Udoka, it might make might make more sense still an invest in getting an offensive coordinator type, because Imidoka has been very successful when he's had stacked cooking styles.
Speaker 2: And where I was going with the contractual angle, it's not the money in a vacuum, it's what the decision represents. They did not have to give him that contract extension last offseason. He was two years into the original four year deal. They easily could have waited until this off season. They did it early because that's how much they believe in him. There was confirmed interest from the New York Knicks, one of the glamour franchises in the NBA, in hiring e May for their open position. The Rockets could have not only gotten out of the contract, they could have gotten additional compensation, be it financially draft picks. The Knicks were after Imo Udoka. It was widely reported at the time the Rockets rebuffed them. So I just have a tough time seeing in under a year the Rockets going from not only believing in ema Udoka, but committing to him long term when they didn't have to rejecting assets from another team, and the opportunity to, you know, start fresh if that's what they wanted to then being ready to part ways. This season has been bad, don't get me wrong, at least relative to expectations. I don't think even with the loss to the Lakers, it gets quite to that level, especially when and now let's look at the bigger picture, there are some intenuating circumstances like I'm not going to tell you how much blame should go to each entity in terms of players versus coaches versus front office. I think reasonable people can disagree, but I think where there should be some agreement is the idea that there is blame to go around at every level. It's not one hundred percent on the coaching staff, or the players or the front office. And so when you look at how we got to where we are, and I put up a thread on Blue Sky where my handle is at Benjubo's on Wednesday morning, my initial thoughts sleep deprive thoughts. After Tuesday's Game two, I talked about how just at a high level we talk about the struggles offensively, it's really tough when two of your three best players in the modern NBA both can't shoot, and that's the case with Aman Thompson and all par Esion Goon and in Game one where there's no Kevin Durant, literally your two best players defensively, We've talked about this at nauseum, all par Eension Goon and Reed Shepherd. That's a tough fit for any coach to make that pairing work on the defensive end, especially with Reid and you're two at twenty one years old. Stylistically, for ima Udoka, I think there's a case to be made, at least based on what we saw from him his first couple of years in Houston and certainly in Boston, Shingoon and especially Read. It's a little bit of an odd mix for how he usually wants to play like. This is not a loaded roster and it's not necessarily an emy Udoka roster. You know, e May was a guy who his first season in Houston, I think he would love to spam three pointers. It's just this roster doesn't lend itself to that. Defensively, I think he would love to be more physical and to switch more. This roster doesn't lend itself to that, and then with Shingoon specifically, You've talked about it a lot Pawlow. There's been a huge shop off defensively between last season and this season. The data shows it. It's not exclusive to the playoffs. It didn't randomly happen. It's been going on for months. So the roster isn't perfect in terms of what Rafelstone gave emy Udoka to work with, and then the players themselves just in terms of executing and winning their matchups all perin, Shinoon as an All Star is not delivering on both ends of the court at the level that he did a year ago, and so that's not to absolve may a blame, Like you can maybe argue that, for example, offensively, Shoin Goon and Reed are just so talented that you know the trade offs defensively are worth it, and maybe if you commit to playing read what he gives you a from a spacing and a ball handling perspective can offset some of the issues that you have with the men and Shoin Gooon together. I don't know that, but maybe he may should be more open to experimenting along those lines. But it's a maybe, Like there are no answers that you can point to and say this is a silver bullet solution. And so one of my frustrations with the front office, and I'm you know, I could go on for hours and I won't do that here. I'll try and be concise. It doesn't feel like there's been a ton of conviction the last couple of seasons. Like you had a tweet I saw after Game one Polo when it looked like a men was probably the Rocket's best player. Why don't the Rockets just do five out spacing and give Amn Thompson the room he needs to get downhill and attack the basket. The Rockets love himn Thompson. Every conversation I've had with the front office. They want to get him more involved offensively. They want to see him more aggressive, especially laid in games. Well, it's difficult to do that when the court is cramped. If you really believe in Amend to that level, should you not be building your roster around him? Or if you think that Shinoon and Reed are just that special as offensive players, maybe you just play them no matter what and live with the defensive trade off. You just give them every opportunity to get you know, more seasoning, and maybe you're in a better position to live with their defensive works by the playoffs because clearly they didn't get a ton of exposure in the regular season. It feels like the Rockets have sort of split the difference in a lot of their decision making with the current roster, and it hasn't always been that way. Like I want to say, it's a huge indictment of Patrick Furtida and raphel Stone because, you know, to start off this rebuild, they talked about pain tolerance. During the tanking years, they had more pain tolerance than a lot of organizations. They did some unconventional things, and lately, with James Harden playing well in the playoffs with the Cavaliers, there's been a lot of revisiting the Fredenfleet over James Harden decision in the summer of twenty twenty three, that initial free agency with ima Udoka. I mean that that was a bold move to go with Fred, who's clearly a lesser player than James if you just look at them one on one, because you believed in the bigger picture blueprint with Fred, the overall puzzle that you're trying to put together, like that took a lot of conviction, and I'm not saying that they're right, but I can respect what they were trying to do. It feels like the last couple of years there's been a lot of half measures to sort of, you know, do the best they can to keep this group together and just hope that the talent wins out. The problem with that is that the talent just isn't that overwhelming. You know. The Rockets unfortunately didn't come out of the rebuild with a Victor Winmbanyama or a Kid Cunningham or even a Cooper Flag level prospect. Like, there are limits to just how high this group's ceiling is. And if you're trying to be the last team standing out of thirty, like, if you can't do it by having if you weren't lucky enough to draft a player that's just that transcendent and can potentially lift you almost by himself, then you've got to be more cutthroat, more clinical with how the rest of the roster fits together. We've talked about that in recent pods. You've got to, you know, put more of a priority on chemistry and fit and how all the pieces work together. And you look at this roster. It just doesn't feel like that from an organizational perspective, that that's what happened. In fact, I know I've had conversations with people inside the building. They they see the limitations with especially Shingoon and read defensively and what that means for, you know, the offensive into the court when you can't optimize your system on that end because you're afraid of the trade op defensively. I mean they see that stuff as well. So that's why I struggle to put all of it on emai Udoka is because clearly I don't think it's a perfect roster. I don't think it fits. I don't think Shangoon is playing nearly as well as he did a year ago. And so you combine all of that with the knowledge that less than a year ago the rockets were extremely high on ema Udoka. I just struggle to see them saying that this year alone is enough to move them for being all in on email to all out. I could see this year, you know, moving them, you know, a little in the opposite direction to where maybe a year or two from now they're more ready to make that move. I could certainly see this year being alarming enough to where they say, hey, we need to change the roster that we give to Emay. We need to work on fit to give him a better chance to succeed, and or maybe we need to give him a top shelf offensive coordinator, the same way with Mike D'Antoni you need to give him a top shelf defensive coordinator a few years ago, and Jeff Bestella, I could see something like that, but I just don't think that this situation is so clearly top shelf. And I don't think you're going to see them move from one extreme to the other on email Udoka this quickly, especially when objectively there is a lot of blame to go around. I can't give you an exact number in terms of the percentage, but no, I don't think this roster is optimized from both a talent and a fit perspective. I don't think the piece is no matter who the coach is, would be easy to work the way, at least at a championship level the Rockets are trying to with Kevin Durant, like I do sympathize a little bit with you know, Rafelstone and the not our year comments, like I'm understanding of why they didn't go after a Kobe White type of player at the trade deadline because I don't think that you know the types of moves that are needed to transform this situation. I don't think the guys who were available would do a whole heck of a lot. Maybe they help you steal a game from the Lakers, but are they really needle movers in the grand scheme. No. I think the bigger problem, and the front office does have blame, is that, you know, the talent isn't overwhelming and the fit isn't ideal, and so they have blame. The players underachieving has blame. You know, I talked about Shangoon regressing defensively. Look, Reed Shepherd, I know he's here too, but Stepan Castle is here too, picked right after him, and he's going out and having a fantastic season for a sixty plus one Spurs juggernaut. I know they have Wemby, but Castle's been damn good. He's been better than Reid. Let's give him his fowers. At some point, you need to go out and execute. And you know, people can make the case in this series for playing Reach Shepherd more, and maybe they should, but Reached Shepherd's shooting terribly well thirty percent overall, and from three he's gotten good looks, he's just not making them. So at some point the players have to go execute. And that's why I just I'm not saying you mean Udoka is blameless. It's been an underwhelming year, but I think there's a there are enough sources of blame to where I just struggle to see rafel Stone and Patrick Fertitta going from as all in as they were as recently as last summer to saying, yeah, we want to do a total reboot and restart with a new coach, new system, start from scratch. That's why I tend to think that the players and the staff, those are the areas you're more likely to see changed, at least this offseason, and maybe with Udoka, maybe it lays the groundwork for something a year from now. Like you know, going into this season, there was no way in hell that em was going to get fired based on his track record going into the year, and I still feel that way. But coming off this year, if next year is underwhelming, yeah, maybe at least the groundwork for that. But with this particular year, I just think both in terms of players and for an office. There are enough other reasons for the substandard play that I don't think ahead coaching changes in the cards.
Speaker 3: I do think Ioka deserves a fair bit of the point given very limited tools. JJ Reddick has coach circles around.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: As I said before, let's not like the others are underperforming, right, and you can blame that I'm on the players. However, you can blame on the coat that he's not getting the performance out of underperforming players that are out of the quality of flair that he has that JJ Reddick is doing with a lot less. And I do think that it's been clear as day that you know they are the Lakers are generating points against what we think it was an underperforming for the whole year defense, but the stats say was the sixth best defense in the league or whatever it may be. Without like with Lebron and a bunch of you know, lol euro players, he's manufacturing offense. And it's not just Lebron going Euro Mode every possession and then on and on defense. He's managed to create a system or to make it up enough that Rockets just can't produce offense against even though he doesn't have good defensive players to work with. So he's been thoroughly out coached this year. I don't think that's arguable in any stretch. I think what's arguable is that he's he was given the pieces to build a better team throughout the entire season. I think it's possible that he did the best with what he had or not the best, but he did good what he had and at the same time, once the playoffs reached, he was thoroughly outgot by a better coach, which is what he Reddick has win this these playoffs or at least you know. And there's a lot of facets to coaching, right there's the management of the group leadership, where's x'es and o's. J Redick is very clearly an x's and o's guy, and so I think that's that as far as far as coaching goes. Ideally, even when Udoka game in remember way back when I think we already have this spot going, we talked about the ideal thing would be Udoka and Jim's Barrego at the time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and to close the loop on the email angle, I just think a lot of those those xes and knows concerns on offense, So for starters, the playoffs are usually a situation where you're only as strong as your weakest link. And during the regular season, the Rockets had all those baffling losses, the late game collapses where things just went horribly wrong at the worst possible time, And I think what happened there During the regular season, it's just not realistic for teams to go all out and be super dialed in for forty eight minutes every single game, eighty two times in a period of six or so months. So they have to pick and choose their spots. But then when it matters most, which in the regular season is the fourth quarter, especially in spotlight type games, everybody hones in. And then the fact that the Rockets deficiencies are just so glaring and so weak compared to other teams. And a lot of this is from a roster construction perspective, when you look at the men in shoinggoons facing issues and offense, the Shaoon and red pairing defensively, and then if you try and help out the spacing issues by playing red, then that leads to the defensive issues. There's just always something for opposing teams to exploit. And then, in contrast to the regular season where teams are picking and choosing their spots, and it feels like suddenly the Rockets offense grounds gets grounded to a halt when the opposing team lots in and the playoffs, teams are more willing and able to lock in for the full forty eight minutes because the games are way more important, and also in the first round there's more time between games, and so I think that's why we're seeing the Rockets offense consistently look bad against the Lakers, whereas during the regular season it was just at sporadic moments when teams would really dial it up defensively. And then we should also point out the ATO data or after timeouts, which we've referenced before on this spot. So the Rockets continue to be really good at generating offense when they're organized, I coming out of a timeout where they've got a clear plan and structure for what they want to do. I think we've seen elements of that this series, with the Rockets starting off the first and third quarters relatively well. By far, their best offense overall has come in the first quarter, and then they've at least briefly taken leads early in the third quarter. Of both Game one and Game two when they're able to map out a plan coming out of halftime, But then what seems to happen after that the defense makes them adjustments. And then with the Rockets not having a true point guard or a floor general without fred Than Fleet, that's another super obvious weeklink. It just doesn't seem like the Rockets are able to adjust to the adjustments or adjust on the fly, whatever you want to call it. But then, just looking more broadly in terms of e May and the concerns over how his teams execute on offense, we knew this going in, Like every coach has strengths and weaknesses, and so we knew when i May took the job based on his track record in Boston, based on his conversations with the team, There's areas that he's more proven in. There's areas where he needs improvement. Even the last couple of years, offense has been an issue that at least at times in half court has been an issue for this team, even when they had fred En Fleet, a so called point guard. So I just think a lot of that was baked in. That's not to absolve ima Udoka. That's just me sort of explaining why. I think a lot of those those warts were known when they redoubled their commitment to have as recently as June of twenty five, and so I think there are areas of concern, but I don't think anything has changed so traumatically from this time a year ago that you would fire the guy, at least not right now. That's my point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was mostly talking about from the dilusion of the blame standpoint me to my next Yeah, sure, which leads me to my next point to me, and then I can you know, I can say this with all of the letters, I don't think going forward and this this is you know, this is not based on two games. This is based on what we've seen offensively throughout the last two seasons. I do not think it is possible to build a contender in which you have a man thoumbing an opera and chang Un with the with their current with their current skill sets, to build an elites. I don't think it's possible. It's regression from Opera and chang Un. It's lack of progression from a man shooting wise. I'm gonna focus this primarily on shang Un because Kadi said this, and it seems like very bare bones and analysis, but it got me thinking, and it is true. That is not a single and I asked plenty. I asked a few people if they could name me one that is not a good, positive impact role player, let a room star that is both a bad defender and a battery puncture. There is none in the league. The last one people could bring to me was actually a star was Russell Westbrook and his impact was arguable the entire zime because of how inefficient he was and how he restricted the way you build built a team around him, right, And so to me, this is just a massive indictment on Hinghung and last season it seemed like Shingun had taken a massive step forward defensively. Turns out that's not all happened. Turns out part of it was efforts, yes, but a big part of it was also that he just had the perfect tools fit around him to build the defense that they build. And along with that that was a change in refereeing, the least calling morephiles not they allowed more physicality last season, which I think helped defense in general as well. And so knowing that and knowing that you have to make a decision. To me, you have to make a decision this offseason between the man Thompson and apron Chingu and man Thompson has a lot of problems, but he's also got more upside, is more athletic, and is already elites at one thing. Defense in this moment, at this moment in time, Shingun is not a good defender at this moment in time. Chengun is not a good spacing thread or spacing thread from three point line at all at this moment in time, Opernshingun is not an efficient scorer at anything on a basketball court, especially in the playoffs, over the past two seasons. And you can separate those two seasons individually, so you don't say that the sample is polluted by the last season. Chengun has been below average at his position as a scorer, not just from three point shooting as a whole. He has not been efficient inside the arc either. A lot of the craft that we saw him have in his early years, a lot of that magic he seems to have cut down, streamlined his process to scoring and still is not a number of average efficiency player. Because teams are studied him because he's under the scarting orport whatever it may be, because of the spacing as well, I'm sure, but at this moment in time, opernaching Gun is not a positive defender. He's not a positive outside shunting thread. He's not a positive inside shooting thread either. He's very average for his position. And I'll make the argument, and I think the argument can be very easily made that he is not an efficient playmaker. When you look at the NBA as a whole, he has barely got I don't even know if he still has a two to one assists two turnover ration. In the playoffs, it's been even worse. And this season we talked about it throughout the entire season. Playmaking like turnovers have been a very real issue with him as well. And so, right now, you tell me what am I getting from albrin shan Gun. Right now, the negatives vastly, vastly, vastly outplayed positives. And he's twenty three, and he can grow, and he's from fashions in the past, but it's now been two season where two seasons where he's not been a good offensive player and one season where he's not being a good defensive player either, And so and beyond that, he's not compatible with your next best or best depending on who you ask young player, which is a mental and highest up side by far. And so it's what you said, it's what you talked about. There are no half measures anymore. You don't have the luxury anymore. The Rockets have been conservative. They have largely picked the expected picks in there when they had to make picks in the draft. There was never any huge surprise moments except for perhaps you know, training it for opranching good, no bold moves, always the expected guy. You can argue that they that they got unlucky and they didn't really have that much of a realistic chance to draft a corner a true cornerstone, tip of the spear, you know, shot creator efficient tipe because you know, for most people, taking Jalen Williams earlier would have been a reach. Reaching for well ever more we wouldn't have been. But it's also not that much of a structrade. But Scottie Barnes for example, those would have been reaches at the spots that Rockets had the draft picks. It's a combination of what it's a combination of also lack of that boldness that you talk about lack of you know, their boldest move was likely the move where they traded they said earlier in the Pot the move where they're trade the Brooklyn picks for the Sun's picks, and the way that in flux of draft capital by a year or to perhaps reach more reached more upside with it as well. But beyond that, they've been for the most part, and we've heard this and we've talked about this for a really long time, and we thought it was the correct approach. They've been flexibility first, because they have been waiting for someone to break out as their true star before committing to a true Hey, this is who we're building around. Let's get the perfect role players to fit around these guys, or get the start that fits with the KB is a one size fits all start. He fits with anybody. Three and d row players like Dylan Brooks, like Dornin Finney Smith, they fit with everybody, even Frevanvliz, someone who will fit with any team. They were they have been targeting brook Oop as with someone who would largely fit with any tea in construct. What doesn't fit together is their own players, the guys that they're hoping hit that upside, and so to me going into the off season, my belief right now is that they should move on from Opera and Chang Gun. It might not be selling high on him, but I just I don't see. I don't see a path forward with both Shang Gun and the men, and I think the more time you spend trying to make that happen, the more you're wasting both of their potentials. Because you could if you truly believe a man's the guy, you go ahead, you get you get five out spacing, or you get pickn roll bit and through spacing around that, and you try to make that work. If you want to somehow believe opening Hoom's the ends, then perhaps and he doesn't need that. I like a man fumps from to be viable defensively or possible defensively, then perhaps if you want to make that move, I wouldn't support it, but you go ahead and make that move, But yeah, I'll pas it off to you, because I don't want to go on for too long. To me right now, the move is to move on from all Open Singgoon, and I can elaborate on the ways you could do that and what you could look for and for it back, but before I want to give you attempt to talk about the players in zero.
Speaker 2: I tend to agree, and I want to wind down the pod because we're already over an hour and we can revisit this more when the season ends, and at the moment it looks like that'll bit sooner rather than later, so we can table some of this for a week or two from now. But in addition to the points you raised about the awkward ft and at a high level, I do think that a men in Shinoon, you know, it's something that especially since that the Spurs games in January and March, when we saw how one of your biggest rivals was able to exploit the limitations there, it's been something that I think is a nagging fear in the back of all of our minds. And combine that with what we're now seeing in the playoffs, and I think it's going to only become a greater talking point if the Rockets do in fact go out sad. So I don't really have too much else to say about the players. I would just also point out that if in fact this is the summer that the Rockets look to move on from all perin Shangoon and get a better fit next to Amn Thompson. You could also criticize the part office for being arguably a year or too late, because I do think that Shingoon would have had greater value in twenty twenty five than he will in twenty twenty six. He won't have bad value, like he's still a two time All Star, He's still a good player. Let's not get crazy, but the defensive limitations are real, and I think people around the league, in addition to seeing the regression from last year to this year, also know that the Rockets are a little more desperate, and so desperate teams don't always get the best value deals. Something needs to change here, and so you can argue that the Rockets, maybe if they were truly being clinical, should have so high on Shingoon a year ago when he looked much more passable defensively with Jalen Green, you could argue that he might have had more value coming off that incredible run at the end of the twenty three to twenty four season if you moved on from him in the twenty twenty four off season, as opposed to waiting until twenty twenty five. I know he was a part of the Kevin Durant trade, but number one KD was thirty seven. And secondly, Jalen was in there largely as a salary match piece. I don't think he was a key part of the trade, at least not super high level from an asset perspective. So you can argue that the Rockets, in addition to the fit questions being there for a while, have also been a little slow to act. You know, fans have noted a lot of these concerns. I've heard a lot of them behind the scenes as well, Like they're not blind. They see many of the same issues that we're talking about on this show and other friends of ours are talking about on their Rockets podcast. It's just when is the time to actually make the move and to take action. You can argue that in some cases, and perhaps all for in Shangoon, they've been a little bit late, and that affects the value you bring in and thus the product available for Emaudoka to work with and to try and mold. That's not to absolve the Emyudoka he as you pointed out, Paolo has has plenty of blame. It's just I think it's important context to remind folks that this is far from a perfect situation. It would be a lot easier if it was, you know, a one size fits all and the Rockets could just change the head coach and all of a sudden, everything is fixed and they're right back at the level they were a year ago with they were number two seed in the West, and we thought they were at least comparable to the San Antonio Spurs at least in the short term, and now they're a tier behind at least. So that's why I bring up the backstory. It's not to Pylon and it's not to you know, scapegoat or Felsoe in the front office, because I think by and large he's still done a very good job. I think they're wonderful with contracts. I'm not expecting anything on that front, and I don't think they should do anything on that front. I just bring up all of that to, you know, explain how we got here and also why the problems run a lot deeper than just ima Udoka, and some of it is simply the players need to go out and win their matchups and execute better. It's a complicated problem. It would be easy if there was a one size fits all solution that could you know, overnight gets you back to the level that that you thought you were entering this season. I just don't think that's going to be there, at least from a coaching perspective. I don't think that's realistic. And so that's not meant to give em a pass. It's not meant to pile on with Rafel in the front office. It's just a reminder of the context and why my bet is between the you know, the coaching staff beneath emay maybe investing a little bit more, switching some things out, and certainly the roster, Like you know I mentioned in the span of a year, it's unlikely for them to go from one extreme to the other on ima Udoka in terms of their belief in him long term, because with a coach, you're ideally picking a guy that you want to run your team for five, ten, fifteen years, like you want that guy to be in alignment with your front office ownership. He is the steward. He is the guy that you trust on a daily basis to run your program. And so in a perfect world, you're not gonna or anything close to a perfect world, you're not gonna do a one point eighty in a span of a few months. Any change in terms of is he the guy or not there is likely to be more gradual with the players. That's where, yeah, you can have one season sort of change, especially because some of these guys, you know, Shingoon's a home run of a pick at sixteen. Overall, no matter what happens, that's still a win for fell Stone. But the fit was always a little flawed. Like he's still the right pick because he's BPA, But sometimes like you just take BPA and you worry about the rest later. Like views of individual players can can be shaped by what happens in a given season, they can be shaped by the surrounding roster. And so yeah, like it's reasonable in a year to go from you know, maybe being in on Shinggoon to being out, or a year ago being in on Jalen to being out. That stuff can evolve With a head coach, it's typically more gradual. Now there can be you know, a tipping point where you go from being on the fence and saying, Okay, it's not going to work out with this guy, but I just don't think the rockets with e may because of all this context will have gone from all in believing that he's the guy wanting to and not just wanting to doubling down on their investment last offseason, to all of a sudden going to the complete opposite extreme when all these other things are wrong as well. I just think there's a lot more It's a lot more complex of a problem, which is unfortunate because more complex problem, it's a little bit more difficult to fix. But I just think that's where we're at, and that's all I really have to say. There's there's more we can talk about from a roster perspective, but I'll table that until the series and the season is over. Pallo, before we shut off. Is there anything else you wanted to say for today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you said, I'll table you know, specific moves of specific avenues to move forward, and I'll just same something more high level, at least in perhaps a little bit more emotional, like I think me, you, and a lot of Rockets fans are trying or are tired of pretending like what's obvious fundamental to any basketball fan effort is actually going to change in cope with it, right, We've been hoping and praying that Alperning is going to be a good defender. For a really long time, we've been hoping and praying that someone on this team would be a one A superstar level talent. Right. We have been hoping that Kaylan Green would turn out start being consistent. We have been hoping for a man specific, that he'd be a better shooter. He's I mean, I don't. I don't even feel it's fair to include them and in this because he's been he's made great progress from season to season, so I'll exclude him. But we have been hoping that things would work out in the best way. And then we have been hoping that two non shooters at the center and the point guard position would work together. We have been hoping all we have been hoping that the offense would get better. We have been hoping even this year, even defensively, that the defense would get better. When our eyes have been in our basketball principles have been telling us all along that these things typically don't. We try to make all of the mental gymnastics around him that perhaps Open can be a defender like all Horford and not have to have that athleticism and just be really smart about where he is and have quick hands and you know, impact the game in that defensively in that way. That's not real. We have been hoping that Alpernchingen and man Thompson could space the floor in with vertical spacing and then and then passing gravity and you know, opening cutting wings because then is a good passer. Listen, let's stop coping the way you space in the NBA. Fundamentally, the hardest thing to exploit is with three point shooting. You don't you have to your two main guys can't shoot. That's an issue. One of your main guys, the center that you know, call me old fashioned. The center has to be a good defender, or at least a smart defender, or at least a passable defender. If he is a top an all time guy like Jokics for example, that's an etcetera. Shangun is not Yoki. Shangun's not going to be Yokic. Let's stop coping. Let's stop pretending like Shangun can be Yokic and a man can be Aaron Gordon, and that's how those two fit. Like it was the projection back then. That's just not the case. Shan Gun is not as good as Yokic, and so he can't get away with a lot of the stuff Yokiic can get away with on the defensive end, and Yokiic can shoot a man. Thompson right now is not as good as a shooters as Aaron Gordon. So even though he has a lot of the Thame characteristics, you can't put that together and pretend that that's how it's going to work. I'm just tired of being fooled by lightning in a borrel moments. I'm tired hoping that stuff that historically seems unlikely is going to be is going to happen for us in specific. I'm tired of pretending like this is a new wage NBA where you can get away with different types of archetypes and you can get away with different types of team construction. I'm tired of all of that. I want to get back to my basketball principles. I learned basketball through their own Maurice era. What you get, you get a guy that can generate advantages consistently, and you get shooting and defense around them. If you want to be heliocentric, if you have a guy that good. If you don't have a guy that good, you get two guys that can fit together, get into actions together and play that at the same time ideally, and you surround those guys with shooting and defense. You can't have more than one non shooter on a team. That's insanely hard to pull off. All of the good teams don't have that. Let's stop trying to take these one off exceptional things that happened because these teams have exceptional players and hope that that one in a thousand Champs is going to be what happens for us, because I feel like that that's what we've been doing the entire time. We've been the entire the entire rebel that has been seeing a flash and hoping that that turns out to be the reality. And I'm tired of pretending like that's what's going to happen for us. We have to be pragmatic at some point. Cheng Gun is not Yogur, a man function for the foreseeable future. Is not going to be a passable shooter, and even when he does, he'll likely start with catch and shoot before he can be a point guard and pull up. That might be even longer. So let's not rest or put all of the hopes of this team being functional offensively on guys developing things that would be absolute outliers for them to develop. That's my main takeaway from this life. Let's stop selling ourselves on on things to happen to have a very slim chance of happening, or that only happen to all time grades, because not every prospect you draft is going to be the all time grid projection that they've got on them from very early on. So I think it's time to be pragmatic, and we'll talk about what that might mean in actual moves in the next spot. But in the meantime, I think it's just important that the fan base has this reality shock or reality shock sorry, and that bubble is burst that Shengun's not going to be Yokic. That went mostly in specific. If Jalen Green was still here, I would have said the same thing about him. He's not going to be MJ or Kobe or even Anthony Edwards most likely. So it was good to hope that that would happen and have those really high heighths when it looked like it might. It's just not. So let's be pragmatic and build a team that works and doesn't rely on one in a thousand chances to obey to the very basic principles of modern basketball, like spacing, like switching and defense. Let's stop living in this pretend world.
Speaker 2: Largely agree, and I'll just point out in closing there are multiple paths the Rockets can go down like people will link them to Yiachtis, and I understand why. I think the point of dispute would be the picks premium. In addition to all parent sho goon to go that route. But you also have the ability to, at least in the short term, to take a step back if you feel that you need to. The bar is super high right now. The Rockets clearly aren't at that top tier. Even though they have Kevin Durant. It was not an all in move. As we explain numerous times. They don't view him as that foundational in the grand scheme. They don't think he's been well, I guess the last couple of games he's been foundational. But they see him as a very good but even this season, still a flawed player when you look at especially the propensity for turnovers. They could take a step back. Then they have all these picks coming in twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight, twenty twenty nine, the two ones from Phoenix, the Brooklyn swap. Next year, we'll see what the revised lottery odds mean for the outlook on those. You could acquire more picks and that window and do something of a gap year if you feel you need it. You could also try to thread the needle. You could, I don't know, look for someone like an Anthony Davis who isn't a fit in Washington, and maybe it's a short term upgrade if he's healthy, but because of the age and the contract, you also get a couple of draft picks that allow you to feel better about that longer term window as well. So you're trying to both bolster the short term with whatever's left of the Kevin Durant era, while also giving you a better chance down the road. That goes back to trading, not necessarily for a short term upgrade the superstar acquisition of a Giannis, but maybe for a better roster fit or picks that you can utilize down the line, either for trades or to bring in players that are in better fit with the other surrounding pieces. So I'm in agreement with you, and we don't need to go too far down the road of hypotheticals today. That's just my own usings. But I think there are more options available to the Rockets than people around the league will think. I don't think it's going to be as simple as oh, they're all in for you, honest and that's the only path, because they're pot committed with a thirty seven year old come into rent. I don't think you can rule it out, but I also don't think it's something that they feel they have to do by any means. All Right, with that, we're done for today. For Polo, I'm Ben. If you want to hear from us before our next episode, the best place to do that is on social media. My handle is at Ben Dubo's, Polo is at Pallo ALVE's NBA. This show is the Rockets Launch Pod presented by Clutch Fans. If you go to launch POD's seven ninety on Twitter slash x, you have to link tree that's got all the links you need to friends, partners, sponsors of the program. And as far as the next episode, it'll be next week, we hope, with the series still going on against the Lakers, but if not, it could be over as early as Sunday. If the Rockets get swept, then we'll be back early next week to wrap up or the most disappointing playoff ex hits in the history of the use in rockets, and even on down days like today, we appreciate you all so much for listening and please come back soon. From Yeah