Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time for What's Happening?
Speaker 3: Wide Sugar makes you yell?
Speaker 2: What so loud?
Speaker 4: Explosions haven't heard in Beirut in an attack that Israel says the response to the killing of twelve children and the goal on heights, they carried out this airstrike targeting as senior Hesbelock commander blamed for a rocket attack that killed the twelve kids over the weekend. According to a source on CNN, high level hes Block commander has survived the attack. According to Israel, they don't have proof of life or anything, so they can't be certain. But the city was waiting for whatever response was coming after that rocket attack that I said I mentioned killed the dozen kids who were playing soccer.
Speaker 1: The details do not get any easier to take. Out of Southport, England, three girls age six, seven and nine were killed stabbed death at a Taylor Swift dance event. Five other children critically wounded. Two teachers critical condition as well, fighting for their lives after trying to protect those children. One of the teachers, bringing some of them down a fire escape. They do have a seventeen year old male in custody. They still don't know the why it happened yesterday, a summer vacation event for kids aged six to eleven.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift has spoke of her horror about it as well.
Speaker 4: She wrote, the horror of yesterday's attack in Southport is washing over me continuously.
Speaker 2: I'm just completely in shock. These were just little kids at a dance class.
Speaker 4: I'm at a complete loss for how to ever convey my sympathies to these families. Fans of Taylor Swift have been raising money. When this article was printed this morning. It's at one hundred and sixty thousand dollars online. They will get much more than that at some point.
Speaker 1: Former President Trump is accusing Facebook and Google of restricting content related to his assassination attempt. He took to truth social claim that the tech giants made it virtually impossible to find pictures or anything related to the shooting. He's accused the companies of trying to rig the election. This comes after Facebook acknowledged it mistakenly censored the image of Trump raising his fist following the shooting post sharing. The image was mistakenly flagged as misinformation.
Speaker 4: Now, the way that they are describing they found this out is if you go on Google and you type in president, and it auto fills whatever it thinks you're going to do that. It wasn't giving you an option for President Donald Trump.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: So I just wrote in and google president Donald. It gives me Donald Trump, the forty fifth US president. It gives me President Donald Duck and President Donald Reagan.
Speaker 2: This is weird.
Speaker 1: I just put in to my Google Google box president. The first thing that comes up is Donald Trump. Yeah, and then who's next? Park Chung He, the former president of South Korea, makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: It makes zero zero sense, my god.
Speaker 4: Cast members in Anaheim have ratified their three year contract with Disney that includes an instant twenty percent raise in their base pay. Last week, this coalition of four unions announced two sides had reached a tenant of agreement after a strike was authorized.
Speaker 2: The deal averted what would have been.
Speaker 4: The first walkout at Disneyland Resort in about forty years. Months of negotiations, they secured a three year contract that's going to give most of them a six dollars and ten cent raise, I guess per hour over the next few years, on top of four dollars and ten cent instant rays in their minimum base wage.
Speaker 1: And then the Oscars will be looking for a new host for next year ceremony. Jimmy Kimmel it hosted the show the last year for the fourth time past. According to multiple reports, John mulaney has turned down the job as well. Kimmel has expressed a desire to spend more time with his family. Boloney, that's the excuse you give when you don't want to do something. You don't want to do your job anymore, you don't want to host an event, You blame it on the family.
Speaker 2: Baby though, Oh that's not new. I mean he's got a baby.
Speaker 1: Well, who wants to uh hang out with a baby at home? Come on, it's one night. I mean, I know you there's ramp up in all of that, but I just think people don't want that gigs.
Speaker 2: It's thankless one.
Speaker 1: I have an idea, what about us hosting the Oscars?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I mean I'm not.
Speaker 3: Doing anything aside from the fact that we're not much to look at.
Speaker 2: And the thing is we don't have to write. They have a bunch of runs.
Speaker 3: That's my problem. I didn't want I wouldn't want to.
Speaker 2: No, No, if i'd want to, could you deliver a joke that someone else wrote?
Speaker 1: Well, why you write me a joke and we'll see how I Do you want me to get the al Gore jokes out again?
Speaker 2: No, I've heard those.
Speaker 3: Those weren't very good.
Speaker 2: Those were not good at all. I hate to interrupt you, but I think we're right in the middle of an earthquake. Oh.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Yeah, I think we just had an earthquake. Here a boy breaking news. We did have an earthquake yesterday afternoon.
Speaker 1: The college kidaks out. Oh, I did freak out a little bit. I looked, well, here's the thing. When the building starts rolling, you don't know if it's like gonna be a four point nine or whatever out of Barstow, or if it's gonna be an eight point seven. You don't know in those initial seconds.
Speaker 6: And I was on the air, Shannon, Yeah, did.
Speaker 2: You freak out? We didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't freak out.
Speaker 7: I thought that I handled myself very professionally. As a matter of fact, given that it was the third time there was an earthquake here. Well, I was on the air.
Speaker 6: I think it scared me.
Speaker 1: I just looked at Gary for a while and I was just like, is this it? Are we gonna reading a parish? And he just looked at me like I was a freaking Looney Tunes. Well what is going to happen if it is an eight? Are you going to run out.
Speaker 2: Of the bill?
Speaker 3: Know what to do in that moment?
Speaker 1: That's why I don't do anything. Yeah, I just sit there. I guess in my stupid little chair, write it out like it's a roller coaster, Like it's a roller coaster going nowhere.
Speaker 6: I will be going somewhere. I think if it was an eight, no, you wouldn't Yeah, I don't think I would sit here and calm.
Speaker 2: Where are you gonna go under the desk? Okay, well that's different.
Speaker 3: You're gonna crept, shobble your way through.
Speaker 2: If you're not going to leave the room.
Speaker 4: You're not going to knock down walls to get into broken down portions of the building that might be more secure.
Speaker 7: You might look up and I won't be there, So just know that I'll be under here.
Speaker 2: So when I that mic arm will come down, just hit the mic on and you will.
Speaker 6: Do that that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: So when I texted your wife you eating the size that the sizeable portions of dessert in the middle.
Speaker 4: Of the day, I realized we were going to food shame each other with the spouses.
Speaker 2: But okay, that window was open now. And what did I say to you?
Speaker 1: I sent it to her and I said, she's gonna say to you when you get home. We are skipping dinner tonight. She wrote back to me, and she said, so I'm making salad for dinner, proof that I know.
Speaker 3: How things go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, huckleberry, Yeah, I'm your huckleberry bell.
Speaker 2: Let me let me make sure that I get this right.
Speaker 4: I don't want to play the movie scene because that'd be too easy, but yeah, here it is.
Speaker 8: Val Kilmer did not say huckleberry. He said huckle bearer. It's an old kind of cowboy tern for Paul Bear.
Speaker 4: If that was the case, why would Val Kilmer name his memoir I'm your Huckleberry.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that alternative.
Speaker 4: But apparently there's a pretty is there a pretty solid camp of people who believe he said I'm your huckle Bearer and not I'm your huckle bar.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe he named the memoir that because it had been misconstrued. I think we're going to need the audio. Well, let's go to Paris first, important stuff. Let's go to Paris first, shall we. That's a great line. I love Paris. Maggie Ruy is with ABC News covering all the excitement today and no shortage of it.
Speaker 3: Maggie, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Oh glad to be here yet, come to Paris.
Speaker 9: I like the sound of that.
Speaker 3: You know me, I would if I could.
Speaker 5: It'd have been such a big day here already.
Speaker 9: You know, we talked about leading into this this Olympic, all eyes are going to be on gymnastics, and oh my gosh, what an incredible showing from Team USA. It just wrapped up not that long ago. I was actually at the event, so I sprinted back here to call you guys to tell you all about it was because it was that amazing. I mean, we knew Team USA was favored to win gold. We know they have the hardest routine of anyone. We know they have these simone.
Speaker 5: Files, but they just delivered.
Speaker 9: And you know, all of the gymnastics experts that were there kept saying the same thing. When Team USA shows up, they're really unstoppable, and they were. They went into the floor routine arguably their best event, already six points up, which is major. They ended up crushing the floor routines. They won gold six points up. Really no one else stood a chance. They were just head and shoulders above the rest and it was an amazing thing to witness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like it was locked up before Simone Biles took to the floor routine for the for the last event.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, she could have done whatever she wanted, yeah, exactly, but she ended up going out there and just you know, being her incredible self. And to give you a good idea of the scene, all of the events are going on at the same time when it's a team gymnastics event, but normally at the very end, the floor routine takes a little bit longer. So the final person that does floor is all by herself out there person with sim Own Bile. So you have a stadium of thousands, but all of a sudden goes quiet and it's just staring at that one person in the middle of the mat.
Speaker 5: And she brought it.
Speaker 9: And crushed it and when she finished, there were so many you at the fans in the crowd they started chanting USA, USA, and then when they found out they had officially won the goals, all five of the gymnasts ran out with an American flag.
Speaker 5: It really was such an incredible moment.
Speaker 2: What's the weather like there in Paris?
Speaker 4: I mean, we obviously saw the rain from opening the opening ceremonies, but I also saw that it was very very warm.
Speaker 3: Like the hottest day there or something.
Speaker 5: Sorry, yeah, hottest day of the year.
Speaker 9: I think it hit about ninety four degrees today. You're totally right, and it has been a scorcher.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: I think I feel for the athletes because, as you mentioned the rain during that opening ceremony, we had a couple of days of relentless rain. Athletes had a performing over the weekend. Now we have this relentless heat. Athletes are performing and some of the events are inside, but we have events like skateboarding BMX there in this really cool outdoor park.
Speaker 5: But I was there just yesterday where it was five.
Speaker 9: Degrees cooler, but still ninety degrees and the pavement heats up.
Speaker 5: It was unbearable. Something for the athletes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something that I learned when I was there in France. A couple of years ago, and they had that a historic heat wave. Is that France isn't built for hot heat because there are no air conditioning units, and that's certainly the case in the Olympic village as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, exactly, it's been a big problem. I know Team USA shipped over some of their own air conditioning units. They made sure that the Tmusa was taken care of, and organizers say they built the village to be cool, so it doesn't need air conditioner.
Speaker 5: But I don't know, guys, I will say, it's so hot here right now.
Speaker 9: I kind of can't imagine having escape. When you heard an Olympic athlete is you know, you hear these stories every hundredths of a second count, So if you have one bad night's sleep from being too hot, that could be the difference between the metal or no medal. So I do feel for them. We're supposed to now have potentially a hail store later tonight, so I would say we are getting a little bit of everything at this Olympics when it comes to weathers awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, have fun, Maggie. We appreciate you checking in.
Speaker 5: All right, Thank you guys. Have a good one.
Speaker 4: Maggie, Ruley ABC News foreign correspondent there in Paris with the latest.
Speaker 3: You'll never believe who I just saw out in the hallway.
Speaker 2: Johnny Ringo.
Speaker 1: Well, Johnny Ringo, No, No, John Cobalt, Oh, Johnny Cobalt. John Cobalt is back today. Everybody, our long national nightmare is over.
Speaker 2: We have something to settle here.
Speaker 8: Bell Kilmer did not say huckleberry. He said huckle bearer. It's an old kind of cowboy term.
Speaker 2: For Paul Bear.
Speaker 4: Okay again, my evidence is that he said huckleberry because I've seen the movie a bunch of times. He says it twice, and then also his memoir. Val Kilmer's memoir was called I'm Your Huckleberry. He says it in when he's playing cards, and he says it again when he's about to shoot and kill. Spoiler alert, Johnny Ringo, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't think you had it in you. I'm your hucklebar. There he says it again. Shay it, I'm your hucklebar.
Speaker 1: You know there's people who believe in Hucklebearer. Will hear Hucklebearer well, because he's got an accent.
Speaker 2: He does so to play it out, why Johnny Lingo looked like somebody just walked over.
Speaker 5: Your brave.
Speaker 2: Fights out with you holiday, I'll beg to differ.
Speaker 3: So I love this movie.
Speaker 7: We started the game, we never got to finish Play for Blood.
Speaker 4: Remember that whole and that that poker scene where Sam Elliott has to come out.
Speaker 1: And all right, boys, Oh Sam Elliott in his mustache.
Speaker 3: What a great movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, what was your homework that you did on that?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Just that? Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, okay that the people that wrote the movie say that it was I'm your huckleberry, She's I'm your guy.
Speaker 2: There are some meaning of it.
Speaker 4: There are some people who went so deep into this specifically what the term I'm your huckleberry and what it means.
Speaker 2: It means I'm the man for the job.
Speaker 4: One goes back to the age of chivalry and the legend of King Arthur. A knight that swears an oath of loyalty to a king has a huckleberry garland draped over his land so he would be the king's man for a particular job.
Speaker 1: Why is that is the huckleberry revered at that time as something that symbolized to loyalty.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 4: Another meeting would be sidekick Tom Sawyer's sidekick obviously was Huckleberry Finn. And then a third meeting they said derives from a different expression. Quote just a huckleberry over one's permission means just outside of just beyond my abilities. So in this sense, i'm you Huckleberry would mean I have the skills to complete this.
Speaker 3: I got you covered.
Speaker 4: And then someone corrected and said Mark Twain wrote Huckleberry Finn in eighteen eighty five. Doc Holiday died in eighteen eighty seven. I'm pretty sure he didn't read the book. But again, I'm all hucker, I'm Hucklebert, I'MI all Hucklebarra. I hear Huckleberry hucklebarrat. But I like the deep cut of huckle Bearer. I that was new information for me, and it's fun to learn things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, learn something new. This is what I learned on the Gary and Shannon Show this week. That's the one thing Hucklebarer. All right, it is time for True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 2: The story is true? Sounds true?
Speaker 7: No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Barry and Shannon present True Crime.
Speaker 1: It's funny all the stories that you cover as a reporter and the specific scenes that you can bring up or call up in a moment, And one of those for me is the being outside Scott and Lacy Peterson's home in Modesto. I can call that up. I can see it right now in my mind, even though it's been so many years, because it was such a scene, because it was so chaotic, because it was Christmas time and you have this beautiful, missing pregnant woman and Scott Peterson is milling about doing the mundane things that a homeowner does.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing him.
Speaker 1: Take out the trash, move the trash bins, motion to reporter. I mean, all of the things that you would not do if your very pregnant wife was missing.
Speaker 4: You would do it on every other Saturday morning. My god, he was not the one right after your pregnant wife.
Speaker 1: And that's I think why I can call it up in a moment's notice, because it was such a bizarre scene.
Speaker 3: What is this guy doing?
Speaker 1: You know, you could tell that he was in the backyard around the side of the house, so you could see him over the fence and he's just doing things in the backyard and do to do nothing to see here, folks, And his bizarre behavior continued. Now Mark Gerregis came out and said, well, there's no playbook for grief. We all know that we all grieve differently. The reason he uses that argument is because it's true we all do grieve differently. One person's reaction to a death or something shocking like you're missing wife is not going to be the same as the guy next to you or the woman next to you.
Speaker 2: So it worked.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is a legit argument. But when it came to Scott Peterson and his behavior, holy hell. I mean taking the call from his mistress during the candlelight vigil was another moment of there's no way. Even if you hated your wife, let's just say you hated your wife, you wanted a divorce, you didn't want to have that baby.
Speaker 3: That was her drive in that train.
Speaker 1: Even if that was the case, if she was missing, it would be you'd shut down, wouldn't you?
Speaker 2: If anybody was Nor.
Speaker 1: If like the guy down the hall that I can't stand here, if he went missing, I'd be like, what where is that person?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking about anybody in particular.
Speaker 2: That's fine, that's fine, but it.
Speaker 3: Would be shocking, you know what I mean. Your life would be suspended.
Speaker 1: You would be in constant thought about what happened to Bob and accounting right where why didn't he arrive home?
Speaker 2: And there is something to be said in my memory just in terms of.
Speaker 4: A career in the business in media right and knowing a lot of these high profile stories and in some cases having some kind of not behind the scenes, but maybe more information than the general public does, simply because of the nature of what we do in terms of we have to find or in your case, we had to go to these places and see this sort of stuff. This was the first case that I remember of this type that I was conscious of. I mean that a husband with the wife is missing, wife or girlfriend is missing, and the husband or boyfriend acts completely bonkers wrong. There's other instances. Chris Watts out of Colorado is another one of those perfect where the husband just is you're.
Speaker 2: Doing what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Why would you possibly think you could just go back to normal life after you did this horrific thing, and that that would be the best way to throw off authorities, like I'm just gonna pretend like nothing happened.
Speaker 1: Well, and I know it's against legal advice, but yes, a human you want these people to take the stand and say, yes, I'm a horrible person. Yes I was with Amber Frye. Yes I was not the best husband, but I did not kill my wife. There's no way I could. You want to hear that, right, you need to hear that. So Scott Peterson has never talked. We haven't really seen he did that one and I think Diane so or interview if I remember correctly, when she was still missing. Twenty years after he was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of his wife Lacy and their unborn son, Connor, Scott Peterson will speak out from prison for the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a crime documentary called Face to Face with Scott Peterson from Peacock.
Speaker 10: Thanks for talking with me today.
Speaker 2: He didn't want to be a dad, didn't want to pay child support, didn't want to spay spousal and this is the way he thought about getting out of it.
Speaker 10: I believe my brother in law, Scott has been wrongfully convicted of that murder.
Speaker 2: He's been in prison since April of two thousand and three.
Speaker 10: Scott has not spoken on camera about the case in those twenty one years. Why should anyone care about what you have to say? Twenty years later, the deeper you.
Speaker 2: Get into this case, the more questions you have.
Speaker 1: So the teaser does obviously does not have him speaking in it, but there are two shots of him, and he appears to be on like a zoom call from prison.
Speaker 3: And he's just kind of staring at the at the screen.
Speaker 2: So it also his sister in law, Janey Peterson, as you as you say, she's been a nut job for him, go.
Speaker 4: Her voice is the one that said that she believes that Scott was wrongfully convicted of the murder. And she's not even blood relative, she's a sister in law and she's so fervently I don't know if that makes a difference, but to me, there is something of a disconnect there. But she's the one who's so fervently defending him. There are in depth conversations with Scott. Peterson says, they're also going to be talking with Al Borkini, one of the Modesto Police Department detectives, John Buehler, Scott's former defense attorney, Laura Euret's and then.
Speaker 1: She was like she was like an intern at the time pretty much. Oh really for the Garrigus firm. If I'm not mistaken, She was very young. Pat Harris was co counsel and I think took over the second trial.
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: It sounds about right.
Speaker 1: He's one of the slimiest defense attorneys I have ever laid eyes on, Like just you just you just know there's something wrong there.
Speaker 4: This is also going to follow the latest developments in the case. They'll talk about the LA Innocence Project and the announcement earlier this year that it was going to take on Scott's case in an attempt to overturn the murder conviction.
Speaker 2: That was the story that was back in January.
Speaker 4: Basically, they filed four motions in court here in California, including one for DNA testing, saying that there is new evidence that supports that Scott Peterson's long that supports his long standing claim of innocence. Of course, it was denied that they announced it effort to clear Scott's name, but the attorney said, I will confirm we are thrilled to have the incredibly skilled attorneys at the LA Innocence Project and their expertise becoming involved in the efforts to prove Scott's If I remember correctly, the judge allowed one piece of evidence to be brought in, but it didn't result in anything simply because it was the brown van or the orange van, and that somehow that was belonging to gypsies who were walking around.
Speaker 2: They yes, the gypsies.
Speaker 4: The gypsies stealing pregnant women from their homes and dumping them into the San Francisco Bay, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was sweeping the area at the time, it was not.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.