Speaker 1: B aren't really glad to be with you.
Speaker 2: It's not just me, it's a whole team of people who did an amazing job here. We did get enough signatures. We are just overwhelmed with the turnout and the support that we've received, collecting more than eighteen thousand, three hundred signatures in order to put this issue on the referendum.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you how excited were able to share that with you.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's a serious I mean, you did it over nineteen days, the significant reflection of how angry the folks in Hyde Park over are over the fact that well representative government failed them. You got seven of the seven of the city council members that denied you, guys, your own destiny, charting your own zoning laws. They said, no, we're going to give these well connected developers a variance over the connected communities, which they show down every neighborhood's throat at first, and we're going to let you go ahead and move forward with your huge development. And I've seen the designs for this. Todd Zinser's been on the relation and he did the graphics that are circulating out. It's monstrous. The dynamic of high Park square be changed dramatically so it doesn't shock all.
Speaker 2: It is not just a Hyde Park case. We couldn't have actually hit this number. Even if we had every single man, woman and child in Hyde Park, we couldn't get anywhere near this. This is a city wide number, from Sailor Park to Mount Washington. This eighteen thousand people are spread out neighborhood after neighborhood after neighborhood. We had more than three hundred circulators of the petition volunteers, many of them first timers, ranging in age from eighteen to ninety two, and they were all over the city. We were in all kinds of neighborhoods, Mount Airy, north Side, North Avon Hill, Poddock, Paddock Hills, Mount Lookout, Mount Washington. We covered the waterfront, and the city gave us that number, not just Hyde Park.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the residents of the city is SINETI regardless of which neighborhood they're in, saw that you know they're but for the grace of God go y. I mean the council did this to Bond Hill as well, and people also might.
Speaker 1: Have regectne it to many other yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Well and connected communities that was done to every single neighborhood. They didn't even get input from the various neighborhoods around if they were interested in the connected communities zoning or not, and they obviously got it.
Speaker 1: That is the biggest piece of this.
Speaker 2: While this is a development issue that's now on going to be on the ballot once the Board of Elections certifies that we have more than the nine thousand, one hundred and forty six that we have to have ten percent of the last governor's race, this is really a statement about telling the city neighborhood councils, community councils, citizens themselves want to have a say in how their neighborhoods grow, change, develop. You can't have something like this and let just city council and commission and the developers decide what's going to be. That's why we had volunteers from all over the city and all the different neighborhoods. This is amazing too that what you're focusing on on what I really feel is the most important thing about citizens' voice and neighborhood councils planned Cincinnati. The functional Planning document for the city says that the city expects its community organizations such as community councils and business associations and others to actively participate in the development and revitalization of the communities they represent. That's a direct quote from that plan. This administration hasn't been doing that. I don't feel like it's been going on for a while. This is what the city has said today and with these and we will be dropping these off at City Hall. We'll be gathering around twelve thirty right on the front steps and we will be marching in the box is plural of petitions to hand them over to the city who get ten days with them. Then they go on to the Board of Elections, they get ten days with them, and then we'll know what number we actually got that was certified.
Speaker 3: Well, recognizing the huge support this petition drive as a resultant you obviously mentioned the number of signatures. All the different neighborhoods were hit and everybody from the various neighborhoods were signing this petition. They want to say in their own destiny and this is illustrative of the It's like a warning shot. Do you think council will revisit this? And shall I say unring the bell?
Speaker 2: John I don't think that's likely to happen given my experience with council over the last few months. Certainly several of them were generous with their time and did some listening, but we did not feel particularly hurt. And I think the machinery right now, the process, the systems are set up in a way that just forces this to happen. I don't personally think that there's very much likelihood that someone from City Council is going to say, hey, you know what, look at that number, we should do something about.
Speaker 1: This before it gets on the ballot. There were plenty of chances for that. This isn't something that just happened on April twenty third. This goes all the way back late.
Speaker 2: January, the very first meeting, they received more than seven hundred emails saying please don't do this, and nobody changed their behavior. Nobody changed. Then we have the Planning Commission meeting in March, five and a half hours of testimony. That was another chance, and I didn't see anybody change their behavior. Then the last couple of days April twenty two and twenty three, the Equitable Growth and Housing Committee and City Council itself, we got a fairly stern talking to from the front of the room about we need marriage counseling with the developer because we're not coming unicating well altogether. And the developer was saying, you know, it was really hard. We took it from the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Always just saying mean things about us.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody's going to change their behavior today, even with this astounding number in front of them.
Speaker 3: Well astounding number for the petition, but also on the heels of and as your release points out, forty nine hundred residents signed the Change that organ petition asking the city to enforce the zoning. Obviously it's the connected community zoning, in other words, not a grant of variance to these well connected developers. Nineteen civic organizations the community councils represent nearly one hundred and fifty thousand residents publicly oppose the zone change, So they knew damn well in advance there was this massive opposition, which is why it illustrates the failure of representative government. They didn't care what their constituents want.
Speaker 2: Thank you, that's what we feel, that's what we've experienced, and we've been able to take the actions thanks to all of our volunteers. Thanks to the team to put this together and say now you have to listen to us. You didn't listen to us before now, And I'm really glad we're ending your week on an abe absolutive story. There's so many people, I mean, there's so much hard news anyway, and I know a lot of people in this world are feeling like I don't know what to do well, I don't know what it is you should be doing or anybody else should be doing. But we went out and we did this, and it feels good, it feels right, and it's a positive thing to say. Representative government still has to hear the people. I am excited to see this go forward, and we're just really grateful to everyone who signed, everyone who collected, everybody who worked on it. Today is a real celebration day.
Speaker 3: For us, absolutely, and you know, praise you deserve all the praise in the world for your efforts, Johnson's or and everybody else who passed around the petitions. You make a real strong point here and I absolutely love the point that you're making. And I'll drive people to the polls this November two, and I'm sure council may be sweating a little bit over that as well. John Zinzer behind the signed the High Park Save the Hyde Park Square petition. It's been pleasure having you on and I'm glad you were ending on the week on a positive note, as you observe, John, it makes me feel really good about that. And for the residents of High.
Speaker 1: Parks, thanks for having us again. Brian, please come out and join us at city Hall.
Speaker 2: I feel like at twelve thirty to day and I wish everybody a really good Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 3: Thank you, my friend you as well. It's eight fifty four. Coming up at eight fifty five you can get a chance to listen Tech Friday with Dave Hatter Online social Security cards. A woman googled herself and found out she's been indicted on drug crimes and the coming quantum apocalypse. Yeah, Corey Bowman was in studio for a few segments. He of course will be on the ballot in November running for mayor, and he's a good man. I hope people will really truly consider supporting Corey Bowman. Corey Bowman dot com links on my blog page fifty five krcy dot com, along with the podcast Jim Stitt since a war, Jim Stitt. Theyve got some events coming up for Memorial Day, the dance at Moonlight Pavilion along with the d Day commemoration at Lunkin Airport. Don Heinrich Toltzman about all the German events coming up, German Day Celebration, three days worth of German Day Celebration and some comments about the German Museum details of fifty five cars dot Com. Also Richard Dickman from Smoke Justice with the ALS fundraiser events that are coming up. Cool guy he is. And then finally, of course John Zenzer in my discussion with John there, I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend. Remember those who paid the ultimate price sacrifice for their in their service to their country. That's what Memorial Day is all about. Hope you have a pleasant one and reflect on that ultimate sacrifice and tune in Monday. It'll be a best of program because I will be enjoying my Memorial Day taking the day off. Be back Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to talking with you on Tuesday. Joe Strecker, thanks as always for everything you do producing the fifty five carsse Morning Show. I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well. Folks, stick around because Glenbeck's coming right up, a full rundown of the biggest headlines.
Speaker 2: There's minutes away at the top of the hour. I'm giving you a fact now.
Speaker 3: The Americans should though fifty five krs the talk station this report