Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app Freaking Padres, And.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you it's that's really the only thing that's going on in baseball. I mean, the Orioles actually clinched a playoff spot last night with a win against the Yankees. But there's a lot of everything else has been decided. I mean, there's not a whole lot of I mean, I guess there's some intrigue perhaps about the American League wild Card, but then you still have to do that silly play in thing that they do for the wild guess.
Speaker 1: I am excited for Padres fans. What a season. It's been a ride, so to speak. So I'm glad for them, but I am not glad for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Next hour, we're going to get into the story the person who was shot when an MTA bus was hijacked with passengers on board very early this morning.
Speaker 3: They were chased.
Speaker 2: The bus was chased by police from South La to downtown. Officers started getting radio calls for an assault with a deadly weapon on a bus near South Figaroa and Manchester in the neighborhood the Stone Vermont Knowles. It was right about one o'clock, just before one o'clock, and authority said that the person on the bus had pulled out a gun, prompting the bus driver to activate the panic button and on the pant. When you do that, it tells people on the outside of the bus all of the I almost called him scoreboards, but the message boards it says call nine one one emergency. And it's weird to see this bus slowly driving through the streets two dozen police cars following it with this, you know, flashing sign that says call nine one.
Speaker 1: Everybody think about Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves or am I just old?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I did too.
Speaker 2: But I had wanted it to be if that was the case, that we should have been fast. It should have been a fast chase. They were very fast.
Speaker 1: I wanted to last longer. I'm sure the driver did not, but I wanted a cinematic ending to that.
Speaker 2: Also, in a few minutes, we'll talk more about intelligence officials briefing former President Trump about threats from Iran to assassinate him. That on top of a report that came out from the Senate about the original assassination, the original, well, the first the first assassination attempt against Trump, and we'll talk about some of the shortcomings that the Senate has found in that case.
Speaker 1: Helleen has strengthened to a Category one hurricane taking aim at Florida, forecasts to make landfall along the Big Bend area tomorrow night. University of Tampa students have been ordered to evacuate all students who live on campus by one pm. These are mandatory evacuation orders. The residence halls will be closed after the evacuation concludes. No entry allowed into these buildings.
Speaker 2: Governor Ron de Santa has held yet another news conference today.
Speaker 4: You don't have to get in your car and drive three hundred and fifty miles away. You can evacuate safely to higher ground, their shelters, their hotels, friends, houses, family.
Speaker 2: And specifically, the way the models have been looking, they call them spaghetti models. When you've got all the different forecasts together and they all kind of track a little differently, they will take basically the average of them the mean, and that mean that line in the middle points directly to a place called Appalachi Bay or that's the body water but Saint Teresa is a tiny little town apparently on the water there at right Florida.
Speaker 3: In Florida, Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sixty four out of the sixty seven counties are under either watches or warnings or alerts.
Speaker 2: And then I mean, it's gonna make landfall potentially well tomorrow evening tomorrow night as potentially a category four or five, and then obviously keep and maintain that hurricane strength for a while as it makes its way farther north. But they're talking about places as far as Nashville that would could see tropical storm warnings and watches over.
Speaker 3: The next several days into the weekend.
Speaker 1: So well, we have a huge announcement to make. And right about now is when you could float the idea to your boss that you had a questionable breakfast, right because food poisoning can hit thirty minutes to one to three days after your questionable meal.
Speaker 2: And maybe you say something like, you know, actually, Bill, if that's your boss's name, hey Bill or Mary. Not that women can't be bosses, because they can totally be bosses.
Speaker 1: I love that your go to is Mary, like it's nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't say Dolores or something that's true.
Speaker 5: Hey, Mary and Bill.
Speaker 2: I thought that shellfish for breakfast was a good idea, so I left it out on the counter overnight so I could have it first thing available. And then it turns out that shellfish for breakfast is.
Speaker 3: Not a great idea.
Speaker 5: Oh that's why.
Speaker 3: That makes me sick thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Just thinking about that, like that shelfish thawed shrimp has been on the counter for nine how making me kind of throw up in my mouth.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's possible.
Speaker 2: What you do tomorrow We're going to be live at the Bejay's Restaurant in Blue House in Huntington Beach. We're gonna be the one on Beach Boulevard. We were there almost to exactly a year ago and had an absolutely great time.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember the temperature in there. I feel like it's warm.
Speaker 3: In the be Jays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's going to be warmer than outside. I mean, it's a beach community, so it's going to be what I can use.
Speaker 1: Because we go to BJ's a lot and they all kind of run together in my mind.
Speaker 2: Well, producer Michelle was out there today helping us figure out what kind of Garyan Shannon Show swag. We're going to be given away, and there's stacks of things that we have.
Speaker 5: This is the one with the room.
Speaker 1: Right behind us, right behind where we stand. Yes, yeah, it's all coming back to me now.
Speaker 2: It's celon I think, if I'm not mistaken, that's the one where you you held the baby and then we all took a picture and it looks like it's our kid.
Speaker 3: It's an oddly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we did picture.
Speaker 1: It's very odd. We look like we made a baby. It's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: President Vladimir Zelenskive, Ukraine addressed to you on General or Assembly this morning and cast Russia as a threat to countries that are far beyond his own. He said that Russia was not going to stop its onslaught. Despite its size. He said, Russia still wants even more land, which is insane, and is seizing it day by day while wanting to destroy its neighbor.
Speaker 1: Did you get the journal Nature this week? I believe it arrived on Monday.
Speaker 3: I did not check the mail.
Speaker 5: It could have been yesterday. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got my virtual copy on Monday, and in it I learned about octopuses. Did you know about octopi and how they don't always hunt alone, and their partners who they hunt with are not who you'd expect.
Speaker 3: They're actually fish.
Speaker 1: They hunt with fish, sometimes several fish species at once. And what's fascinating about this study is that the big blue octopus or it's called day octopus often punches its companion fish to keep them in line, keep them on task.
Speaker 5: If a fish sees a squirrel and kind.
Speaker 1: Of moves away from the hunting expedition, the octopus goes over and punches it right in the face, so it gets back in line. Now, how's that for accountability?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: Fact, they're so.
Speaker 1: Smart octopier, so smart. Once you learn how smart octopier, you do not want to eat them.
Speaker 2: Yeah octopus drill sergeant. Oh yeah, And why is the squirrel underwater?
Speaker 5: That was a hypothetic? Like you know, if a squirrelfish a squirrelfish, If a fish just.
Speaker 1: Gets distracted by something algae, coral, another fish.
Speaker 2: The Senate yesterday passed a temporary bill to boost Secret Service protection given to major party candidates following the second attempt on former President Trump. So this will give the two party nominees and potentially others I suppose Trump and Harris right now this same level of protection that's given to Joe Biden. I don't know how. I don't know how this will work necessarily for the campaign because with that level of Secret Service protection, it's not just adding manpower or power, it's about adding the resources that go with the president everywhere that person goes. And are they going to have to do advanced team research on every location they do, Because we're talking about in the coming days and weeks, Trump and Harris are going to be in multiple cities many of those days, I mean flying in and out of two or three four different states or cities within a state each each and every day. Are they going to have to go through and do the research that is necessary for a pre visit inspection.
Speaker 1: And if there is another attempt or a successful attempt on any one of these people, how does an underground America leadership role pan out? Because you'd have to go underground at that point, you'd have to not be in public, not go anywhere, and what does that mean for the country. It's a very embarrassing situation to be in for a number of reasons. A preliminary report released today by a Senate committee says no one was in charge of planning and security security decisions for the campaign rally where Trump was shot.
Speaker 5: No one.
Speaker 1: That is grade a blooney that there would be no one in charge. Is this just everyone covering their ass and people abiding by that strategy? How could there be no one in charge who would be the box to stop with?
Speaker 2: Come on, it would be hard to believe that that was the case. There's people walking around going on, I don't know. I thought you, I thought you said it right. And because in all honesty, listen, I do not want to believe that the Secret Service was incompetent in this case, because of the respect that they have already garnered for the service that they do all the time protecting presidents and dignitaries. I do not want to believe that there would be a situation like this where it simply fell through the cracks, because that, to me, is the harder of the two scenarios to believe. But they said it was hapless on site leadership, that they were unaware of potential threats to Trump's safety, That a culture within the agency of individuals unwilling to take responsibility for those failures is what we're seeing The committee said that no one involved in the security plans could say who made the call to exclude from the security perimeter those warehouses upon which the gunman sat and eventually met his maker. Senator Ran Paul of Kentucky, top Republican on the panel, said that everybody's been pointing fingers at somebody else, and that's not the way we're going to go about getting any of this solved.
Speaker 6: Add that to the domestic terrorists that are trying to kill President Trump. There's a lot of people trying to kill President Trump, and so we to get it right. We have to. You know, if we can't even stop the random guy who's camping outside the golf course, if we can't do a good job of that, how are we going to stop a sophisticated assassination attempt by a foreign country.
Speaker 2: One of the things that happened was one of the drone operators apparently radio communications was hampered by tech failures that rendered some of their radios inoperable. One agent was so busy trying to fix his own radio he failed to pick up the local police radio that he had been offered. Had he grabbed that radio, he would have heard the local police traffic where they were like, Hey, there's a guy with a gun.
Speaker 5: Why aren't they on the same frequency.
Speaker 2: Great question. The other thing is a drone operator. Apparently the Secret Service drone operator was relatively new to operating drones right, and was having guy want having a technical problem and was on tech support on the phone with tech support with the drone company while all of this was going on.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Sometimes s just keeps getting promoted. It does not roll down the hill. And you should have the best, the best with the Secret Service. And the fact that you don't, that you have a novice on the on a former president's rally an open air that has no experience just baffles me. Who signed off on that alone.
Speaker 2: The Office of the Director of National Intelligence also says that they had briefed the Trump campaign on an issue, but didn't say what it was.
Speaker 3: A Trump campaign.
Speaker 2: Spokesperson says the president was briefed by the Office of Director of National Intelligence regarding real and specific threats from Iran to assassinate him in an effort to destabilize and sow chaos in the United States. So it's coming, It's coming from all angles. I think it's probably a good way to.
Speaker 7: Put Gary and Shannon love your show. I love it, especially when Shannon shows up to work. Yeah ay, Shannon, do me and all Dodger fans of favor and don't mention we when you're talking about the Dodgers because you know you're a Giants fan.
Speaker 1: Why nuts, I haven't been a Giants fan for three decades.
Speaker 5: Come on, that's Gary, he's the Giants fan.
Speaker 2: Fun to watch that triple play last night, have fun in the middle of October when the Dodgers are sitting on the on their couches watching the have fun, not watching the playoffs again at all.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 8: Good morning guys. For tomorrow, I'm gonna tell my female boss Gertrude that the hand crank on my car broke, so I wasn't able to start it to get into work. But I'll make it there somehow. Maybe a horse and buggy will do.
Speaker 3: Got it, Gertrude, she's the new boss. Name.
Speaker 9: Hi, Shannon, This is inga I listen to you guys every day you mentioned an octopus. Shannon, you have to watch My Octopus Teacher. You're gonna cry. It is such an awesome melodrama documentary. You're gonna love OCTOPI, thank you, have a great day.
Speaker 3: Bye knows what she's talking about.
Speaker 5: I could listen to her voice all day long.
Speaker 10: Hey, Shannon, there's two really good books out there with octopus.
Speaker 5: I have one.
Speaker 10: One is called The Soul of an Octopus and the other is Remarkably Bright Creatures.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's the one.
Speaker 10: I have a very sweet and poignant read. Yes, the growth short check them out.
Speaker 1: Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. And I have a little octopus that sits on top of that book.
Speaker 5: Seek. No, it's an octopus. It's a little rubber octopus. You want to know what his name is? Yeah, I just leave him on the top. His name is Octi.
Speaker 3: Wow, you really went on the limb with that one, Sharon.
Speaker 8: What's up?
Speaker 3: Joe from San Clemente.
Speaker 8: You guys are rad You ever remark you're awesome.
Speaker 3: She's coming in soon.
Speaker 9: Gary.
Speaker 8: You're cool too.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: What about Amy King.
Speaker 8: Bro Shrimp Overnight? Not good?
Speaker 5: Brother, Yeah, not good. You shouldn't do that.
Speaker 3: I think a child would know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the whole Aloha ala allow, that's the whole point of that. That's why you do it. If you're going to get sick, make yourself sick.
Speaker 1: No, we're not telling people to actually make themselves sick. Just lie about it.
Speaker 3: But that's a good lie.
Speaker 1: I don't want people throwing up bad shellfish at the BJ's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Shandy coombs In, a former bodyguard, allegedly drugged, bound, and raped a woman in a recording studio in two thousand and one, then went on to share and sell a recording of the assault.
Speaker 5: This is according to a new lawsuit filed yesterday.
Speaker 1: Dahlia Graves broke down in tears as she spoke at a press conference with You Know Who.
Speaker 5: Gloria all Read.
Speaker 1: Described the internal pain she faced after the alleged attack. The trauma of the assault has taking a toll on my mental health. I have PTSD, depression and anxiety. I'm emotionally scarred. It's been hard for me to trust others, form healthy relationships, or feel safe.
Speaker 2: She now marks the eleventh person to have come forward and accuse Ditty in some sort of sexual assault lawsuits.
Speaker 1: I bet Gloria Alred is very busy these days.
Speaker 5: I bet I bet eleven is just the tip of the iceberg could be.
Speaker 2: Gloria declined to comment on whether or not Graves played any part in the grand jury proceedings that led to the Southern District of New York prosecutors arresting Ditty last week, she said, our goal for Thali is very simple.
Speaker 3: We want justice for her.
Speaker 2: We're looking forward to winning it long overdue for those who have caused her to suffer, to be to be held accountable.
Speaker 1: One of my friends pointed out, Gloria alright hasn't aged in twenty years. She looks exactly the same as when I was out on the street covering her at that big table in her office, and she sits on the phone books in her chanel like she looks exactly the same.
Speaker 3: That's very true.
Speaker 2: Thali apparently met or became friendly with Ditty in late ninety nine because her then boyfriend was an executive at Bad Boy Records, and due to the boyfriend's position at the company, she said she frequently attended events that were hosted at Ditty's homes often visited her boyfriend at Ditty's house recording studio. The boyfriend's not named in the lawsuit. Things took a turn, though, when she got a call from Ditty, who wanted to meet with her to discuss her boyfriend's supposed performance issues.
Speaker 5: Oh No.
Speaker 2: Wanting to help her boyfriend, already knowing a Ditty, she said, she agreed to the meeting. She said it was evidently a sick and twisted way of using his ownership of and title at Bad Boy and its affiliate entities to abuse the plaintiff and also show his power and ability to humiliate her boyfriend one of his executives. And then it was a few hours later. She said she did accept a glass of wine from Ditty, but quickly became lightheaded, dizzy, and physically we by the time that they were at the recording studio, she said, she struggled to walk, and that's when she says she lost consciousness.
Speaker 1: There was an article about the white parties, the infamous white parties that he would throw, that this was the hottest ticket, the golden ticket white parties, that these were in the nineties the two thousands, that everybody had to abide by a strict head to toe white dress code. The bash was set in all white surroundings. Combs told Oprah years ago, I wanted to strip away everyone's image and put us all in the same color and on the same level. They were held at his East Hampton waterfront home over Labor Day weekend. The parties would last three days.
Speaker 2: Do you really believe that there's fear going through the circles of people who were at these parties.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: Everyone's been very quiet, haven't they. It's been radio silence from people in Hollywood. And you know, even if you were at his party, which everyone Leo DiCaprio, Jay Z, Beyonce, Mariah Kerry, the Kardashians, the Hilton's, Jennifer Lopez.
Speaker 5: I mean everyone was there.
Speaker 1: Champagne freely available, guests serve champagne from heaven by models dressed as angels, all of it.
Speaker 5: Just say hey, I love a good party. I went to his parties.
Speaker 1: I had no idea what he was doing when things went dark, But everyone's very quiet.
Speaker 2: Former President Trump scheduled to return to North Carolina today, obviously a very competitive state now in this race. Trump as an event scheduled in mint Hill, one of the suburbs of Charlotte. Vice President Harris is going to deliver what AIDS have been saying is a major address on the economy up in Pittsburgh today. Justice Department also has sued Visa, saying that it propped up an illegal monopoly over debt payments sorry debit payments by imposing exclusionary agreements on partners and smothering some of the upstart firms that were involved. Visa and its smaller Arrive MasterCard have surged over the last two decades, reaching a combined market cap of about a trillion dollars.
Speaker 3: Visa says this lawsuit is meritless.
Speaker 1: The Pritzker Estate is a roughly fifty thousand square foot estate in the hills above La, one of the largest private homes in the country.
Speaker 5: At times run.
Speaker 1: By a staff of more than twenty five people, this place has a bowling alley, a hair dressing area, a gym with changing rooms, an infinity swimming pool overlooking the skyline.
Speaker 2: Well, now, listen, I have a hair dressing area as well. It's right in front of my bathroom sink.
Speaker 5: Yes, I have a hair dryer and a curling iron.
Speaker 10: A gym.
Speaker 3: You could argue and that the changing area is when you close the door.
Speaker 5: I have a gym in the garage.
Speaker 2: I have a small pool. That is, I have a hot definitely enjoyable. You have a good sized pool.
Speaker 3: It's deep. How far?
Speaker 5: How far is it?
Speaker 2: It's like an eleven foot really, Yeah, because you gotta be car in. There was a diving board there, right, we took that out. Well, I didn't care.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just they tell you to take it out now because of liability, which is stupid, but the insurance will gut you probably.
Speaker 3: If I had, if somebody put their noodle through the Yeah.
Speaker 5: I never knew. I've swum and have I swum?
Speaker 3: Swim?
Speaker 5: Have I have I done that?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: You sat with your feet in the hot tub with a friend's daughter. Yeah, was that super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Probably? Super Bowl?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think I've been in the pool.
Speaker 1: I think I put my feet in the pool, but I don't think I've got I didn't know that was eleven feet.
Speaker 5: That's a very deep pool. It's very dangerous.
Speaker 3: It was only deep on that.
Speaker 5: How many bodies are down there.
Speaker 2: It's not like it's dark like I would be able to see bodies, and there've been a handful of mice, birds and a rattlesnake.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 1: The home of billionaire Hyatt Hotel air Tony Pritz and his philanthropist's wife, Jean. This home has been at the center of their bitter divorce fight. They separated two years ago and the divorce has been settled. We don't know details of the sum, but the estate is slated to go on the market asking somewhere between one hundred and fifty and two hundred million. This is going to be on Selling Sunset or million dollar listing, all those crack shows I watch.
Speaker 3: This is a massive estate.
Speaker 2: You look at when you look at it on the maps, it is qngus.
Speaker 5: They are both in their sixties.
Speaker 1: Tony is the son of the Hyatt hotel chain co founder and the brother of Illinois Governor JB.
Speaker 5: Pritzker.
Speaker 1: Interesting, these two were married for more than thirty years. They have six children. They spent years putting this home together. To give you an idea of how big it is. At times it has did you say the staff of more than.
Speaker 5: Twenty five people? I did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: That that alone tells you, Yeah, I tells you how big this place is.
Speaker 5: It's got twelve to fifteen bedrooms.
Speaker 3: That's always a fun.
Speaker 2: When you have enough bedrooms that there's a dash and no one knows exactly how many there are. One of the real estate agents who has been to parties there, so you feel like you're floating in the view. The vista is especially remarkable given the homes massive size. Most of the houses of comparable square footage are located in flatter areas rather than the hills.
Speaker 1: So after they split, the wife Jean continued to live in this house, used it for parties and things. He moved out, and they say she was shocked when his lawyers informed her that the house, in its contents down to the forks, knives and spoons, were technically owned not by the couple, but by a complex web of trusts and LLC's.
Speaker 5: See mo money more problems. Okay, am I right?
Speaker 1: Leave me alone in my nine hundred square foot home.
Speaker 3: When he left.
Speaker 2: By the way, when Tony wanted to sell, he went out and got a twenty million dollar four bedroom penthouse of about eight thousand square feet at the Beverly West Condos there in Westwoods.
Speaker 5: It's a nice little side piece.
Speaker 2: What talk about downsizing from fifty thousand feet to just eight thousand, that's rough.
Speaker 5: They were married in July of nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: Our marital lifestyle was lavish and opulent, wrote gene and divorce filings. She had seven point one million dollars worth of jewelry, thirteen cars, three point eight million worth of fine art and wine. Listen, there's plenty of good eight dollar bottles of wine out there.
Speaker 5: And we should know, Yes, we should amy and we do.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Uh oh you guys, this is massive. You could host a small city. Yes, you have a small yes you could.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, so wild bus hijacking, remnant of speed, but without the speed.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app