Speaker 1: Welcome to the two seventeen Recovery Podcast.
Speaker 2: If you don't make mistakes, you won't learn.
Speaker 1: With your host Corey Winfield, you know, there was a reason why that didn't work out, and you can look back at it and go, yep, I'm glad that didn't work out how I wanted it, because I would have been horrible and co host Martine.
Speaker 3: Winningfield fairly expensive membership to Gold Gym when I was in college, but I used that all the time.
Speaker 1: It is the twenty seventh of October twenty twenty four. My name's Corey Winfield.
Speaker 2: My name's Marty Winfield.
Speaker 1: And this is the two seventeen Recovery podcast with the original the og Marty Winfields back as the co host. How's that feel?
Speaker 2: I'm familiar.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like nervous, like I better not mess up Marning's on the podcast today.
Speaker 2: It is it's like, I mean, it's like riding a bike.
Speaker 1: But you know, yeah, I'm trying to think of what can't I say now?
Speaker 2: Oh right, see those are the problems you're having.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the censor's back.
Speaker 3: Mine is like I don't even know what I've shared. It's been so long, there's so much stuff.
Speaker 1: It's start at the beginning, at the beginning, like what beginning right now, we can talk about recovery stories for just a second too, because I felt bad for you because you were going last, and for me, that's a good thing. Chris Goss was awesome. Everybody was pretty much awesome. But it started so late. It was like twenty thirty minutes late, and then we took a break that was way too long, and then by the time you got up there, it was already eight o'clock. Normally we're packed up and we're leaving at eight o'clock, we're in the parking lot. Yeah, see you guys later. Yeah, And so this was just horrible because some of the people that came had to leave by eight and we knew that, and all the stuff that you were going to say kind of just got chopped up into hey, hurry up, let me get up there. But you knew you had to be longer than five minutes. But like, you can't really share and I think it really threw you off.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we did.
Speaker 1: We'll go over some of that when we released the videos. But yeah, I kind of felt bad for you though, because feeling that pressure of like hurry up and get up there and get over with it loses the whole This is the story I was going to tell, right, So kind of felt bad for you, But well the same time, you handled it well. Out of anybody there, I think you may handled it the best of anybody that could have.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, So, you know, you're dealing with this anticipation of getting up in front of a group of people and the message that you want to share, and I really struggle with It's not so much the public speaking piece. It's like having an idea of what it is that I want to the message I want to get across, and then matching having that match my not only my time frame, but also have it not be too like scripted. You know, I didn't want to because I'm big into like when I write papers or you know, work on projects, it's like there's a creation period. There's a brainstorming, and then there's like your creation, and then there's your editing and then it's your final product. Well, when you get in front of a group of people, unless you're literally reading for off of a piece of paper, it's gonna change, it's gonna adjust, and that's fine. And that's great. But when I knew, like you said, I'm looking at basically the fact that we're already supposed to be done, and so there's no way the idea of what I did, any any idea that I did have in mind of how this was gonna go, It's not gonna go that way at all. And that was okay, I mean, it's it just it made it left me a little bit stumped in terms of picking out the important pieces and then kind of rewinding and figuring out like what what do I leave out and what I want to leave these people with when I know also too, as they are looking at their watches like we're supposed to be out of here, because there was a you know, a time constraint that was out of everyone's control because of the attendance that was there.
Speaker 2: I mean, they had something they had to be back for.
Speaker 1: And we rented the event center, the Grand Trevers Event Center, from five to eight, right like we're supposed to be out of there, you know, like that's and so I was like, well, yeah, well but yeah, so it was It's just a bunch of you know, different miscues. But on the good note about it, we recorded with our board and the audio sounds fantastic, which is good for videos, and we're going to release some a podcasts as well, so that's coming soon. But yeah, that's that's the good note of it.
Speaker 3: So then you can, in your you know, geniusness, can try to pick out the piston pieces that I did have and make it sound wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I was thinking about that too, because in the past I just would release the whole thing boom, there you go. And then I started thinking, like do people sit there and watch three minute videos or do they watch a minute video? A minute video. It's a good point, you know, so would it be better just to cut up Hey, this is a great part of it, Like, let's put that out there. I think I might kind of go that route, you know, and you might have five different clips but they're only a minute long.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great idea, you know, highlights, pick out the key points. That's cliff notes, version recovery stories, cliff notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I could still release the whole thing at some point too, but just as far as like you know, like just hit home on those those points that really matter. So but yeah, and other than that, you have a child, now five months old. How's that going?
Speaker 2: Five months? Five days?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he is a handful, but he's amazing and I love being a mom. I'm embracing it as like holy and completely. And when there are those moments that moms and dads know that, there's those moments where you're like gonna pull.
Speaker 2: Your hair out.
Speaker 3: And obviously I don't have an answer for you child, Like there's I would give you anything and everything in my capacity, upside down, sideways, backwards, whatever, but I have no idea what it is that you need right now. And sometimes that's just babies being babies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like what do you want?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: You can't talk. And we recorded a cute video yesterday because he loves the bounce. He's bouncing, loves loves the bounce. So we had this like little seat you put him in and it's on some springs and he just bounces. Well that's a horrible explanation of.
Speaker 2: What it sounds dangerous.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, it's almost like a walker, but he can't walk with it. It just bounces, yeah, and not like a walker that old people use, but like a walker like you set a baby in, you know when they first learn to walk, but it doesn't move. It just bounces up and down. And it has like three cables that hold to the top of it or something.
Speaker 3: If this helps. It's made by Fresher Price. For those of you that are thinking, there's it's some crazy conteraption.
Speaker 1: I just built it yesterday. No, but he was sitting and he was bouncing, and you're like, he recorded and had your phone, so I recorded it and ten seconds in, Yeah, it's like puke.
Speaker 2: It was kind of adorable.
Speaker 1: It was kind of and they smiled like, yeah, that feel better.
Speaker 3: He's like, hey, man, if that's that's the cost, then I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it was. It was cute and we're learning on the fly. But one thing I'm learning is I think, was it last year year before we're like, hey, we're coming home for Christmas? This is our time, and oh, you're not even gonna be here for this. You're not gonna be here for that. Huh, Well, this is where we're gonna be there. Oh, but you're gonna miss this now. When I sent the message, hey we're gonna be home with Christmas and this day to this day, oh awesome, okay, and my sister put on her phone, Hey, Corey's coming home, but Parker will be in town. Obviously, if you're new to the podcast, that's our son Parker, So it changes the game. I think my dad was a little disappointed. I think maybe that we weren't going to stay with him. But look, we have a little child who rules what goes on absolutely and it's nothing against their dogs, something against other people's animals or anything like that. But it's just a lot easier to not introduce him to that because he could be dead asleep and the deer goes walking through the yard and let's say, their little camera goes off of their ring thing d beings and the dogs start barking. Guess who's not having a nap. Now we know what monster time comes. It's a term here around the Winfield house at seven pm.
Speaker 2: Seven pm is monster time.
Speaker 1: Once it clicks on, you're on Monster Watch. It could happen right as seven if he's up too early a little before. But seven o'clock, man, he's ready for bed, especially since it gets dark now earlier. He's like, all right, it's dark, we need to be in bed. He kind of lets us know, so it's like, okay, get him in bed, and then something happens, you know, or something animal or I don't know. It's just easier to be in a hotel where all right, the guy in the next room, sorrybody, it's monster time. Baby's crying. That's what happens. I what it feels bad, but you know, and then to have your your kid up screaming or who knows, you know what's going to happen, and you just want to just a place where we have a little bit of control over it and not have to worry about, oh, no, you're waking up dad, or you're waking up this or waking up that, or the dog's waking him up or yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's hard enough as it is to find that balance. And then when you just don't have to like I don't want to say taking into consideration, but you know, where you're the things are, you feel comfortable like moving around at whatever time that you need to to get the things you need, and you know, so we're just it's just makes sense, just makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this morning he is right now taking an ab I guess this morning. It's noon on Sunday, So we have the cats down here fighting because why not, and he's upstairs sleeping and we'll be able to hear him if he does wake up. But we figured we'd jump on and do a quick podcast. But so back to you, though, what else has been going on? You're doing Recovery Friendly Workforce? I mean, what do you want to talk about a workplace?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: The question, the golden question everyone wants to know is when's Marnie returning back to work?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: When are you going back to work? Well, I've been working this whole time, you know, I've been working a lot on the Recovery Friendly Workplace initiative. And it's spearheaded by Michigan Public Health Institute and also md HHS, and so what it is is it's basically basically an educational piece for businesses, organizations, pretty much any kind of agency that is interested in being familiar with substance use disorder just in general, like overall, So it's a very substance use disorder one on one kind of stuff about like what it is, what to look for and the bottom line and the most important is how to support employees or management that could potentially be either struggling with substance use disorder or also being kind of empathetic and helpful and supportive of people that are in recovery from substance use disorder. So being there and understanding what their needs are, uh, and you know there's a different element of potentially like how the how their.
Speaker 2: Schedule works, what have you.
Speaker 3: So it's basically a supportive piece that all agencies are institutions whatever that was interested in learning, it's a free training that we're offering. Nice us being two seventeen Recovery being the recovery community organization in this area, that they would we would be a resource for them as well. So I've been working on that, and I've also been working on getting my clinical hours under my belt because as August approaches, that marks the two year mark of my graduation from my master's with social work. So hopefully the bigger long term goal is for me to be licensed on my own so we.
Speaker 1: Can hear our child in the background. Yes, yeah, well that's all important stuff. And you have to tell the state when they ask you to work for them no. Because with the Recovery work for work place I was called workforce because the whole radio thing, we're always you're at workforce station. So anyway with the workplace thing, the way it's going. And our buddies up in Potoski, a community recovery alliance, Caitlin and them, they have kind of the same thing. And between us and them, we're kind of killing that, like with what actually when we started and how we started doing it. We're doing You're doing great, and I think they're going to see that and be like, hey, I want to come work for us, and you just say, no, that.
Speaker 2: Don't work for the state of I am no, I am not. There is no. I have pretty pretty good idea.
Speaker 3: Of my long term goals and I'm going to just keep shooting for that.
Speaker 1: I guess you shouldn't tell them though, you should just okay, hold on and it's sent them a number like one million dollars. But there you go.
Speaker 2: I'll work for you for that right now.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you'll find the money. But yeah, so, I mean, maybe we'll have to cut this podcast short. Yeah, but hey, at least we got one in, right, we did.
Speaker 2: We did, and then.
Speaker 1: We need to be still alive. You're not buried in them.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not very much alive and doing fantastic and I'm just I'm extremely grateful for well, I mean we're extremely blessed to have this baby in our lives. You know, for those of you that aren't familiar, we you know obvious Corey and I met later in life, and it's been an unknown if that was even going to be something that could happen for us. And so here we are now with this five month old who's screaming as long as out upstairs, which whoever thought that would be something like music to your ears?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: No? And then you know, trying to find balance right now between you know, being a mom and then you know, putting the work piece back into play and having your support, which you've been wonderful doing the you know limited stay at home dad hours that you've been able to give up from you know, your demand. That's that's you know, at job at two seventeen and so you know, it's just been it's been a lot, but it's been great.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think we have the staff that allows me to do that too.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely hard time all the time.
Speaker 3: Obviously you have no idea people, how how hard the time you give them.
Speaker 2: I feel for you guys, big time.
Speaker 1: That's pain. It was easier just to look them all, thanks, justin. That makes no sense obviously, thanks Mitchell, but yeah, no, I give them a hard time, but no, for real, if we didn't have the staff that allow me to you know, work from home. And I use that term very loosely because I'm not like you, I cannot multitask. I yeah, I'll just say that done. I don't have to give examples. But it's just it's harder for me to check my phone or to talk to somebody, or to do this or do that, which reminds me have to call somebody today. But yeah, it's it's good to have you back on and to hear your voice and to be a co hosts. And I tell people, you know, like the two seventeen Recovery podcast was for me. It's something and I started to help me stay sober, and then I just started kind of getting people involved and with starting getting their recovery home. I had guys that were in room two seventeen with me, and then that kind of fell through, and then Ryan Beckman came on and Chris Goss and then it shifted and I made you the co host. Made you do it. It's not you were like, hey, I want to be a co host. It was something that you did, and I appreciate it, and you're the person that it kind of reels me in and it makes sense of the podcast. So it's kind of important, you know, and that's why I didn't want. You know, we still do some from the office studio, and it's just not the same. You know, it's me and two or three guys or whoever. You know, we're just goofing around. We're having fun, but we're not getting into those conversations that you and I would have. Sure, And that's why I tell people like it's I mean, you can listen, but it's not the same without Marnie. Well.
Speaker 3: And the thing is too, is I mean, as our life balances out a little bit more and we have a better idea of like what timing looks like and with a baby, like perfect example is I mean there is no planning on when when they're going to need what they need. But yeah, to be intentional about doing these because I really do love doing these podcasts and I think it's important platform to be able to talk about living life and recovery, right, like what it looks like to make decisions, to you know, face challenges, to celebrate your successes without you know, having the use of drug or alcohol. And I think that's important. I think that's what we want these podcasts to be, is to have that messaging and to have experiences that people can relate to and hear about stuff, you know that we need to hear about when you know, you just want to know how what's it like to live sover? And this is it the daily grind, you know? So but yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm better go get him. And I just want to say good luck with jacket Off this week. That's who you're playing fantasy.
Speaker 2: Football, Fantasy football league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm doing fire my team's jacket off. Yeah, you know you're going to go jacket off at a party.
Speaker 2: You were so close, so close to having a whole podcast.
Speaker 1: Josh Allen was number one being quarterback for the week.
Speaker 2: And that's who you have horrified and now it's glorified.
Speaker 1: So I think you're going to beat jack Off today or this week. I should say yes, So good luck to you and I do hope you win.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it. I hope I do.
Speaker 3: So all right, thanks everybody, I have a good week.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the two seventeen Recovery podcast.
Speaker 3: Listen to over nine hundred episodes on the two seventeen recovery app that's free in your app store or online at two seventeen recovery dot com.