Speaker 1: I really want you to put yourself in this scenario for a second. You are an astronomer, right, and you know, not just some hobbyist in a backyard with a telescope you bought online. You are a trained professional at a national observator.
Speaker 2: You've got the high end optics, the serious hardware, exactly.
Speaker 1: You've got this incredible gear pointed squarely at the Moon, and you're just staring at that stark, beautiful, cratered surface, collecting baseline.
Speaker 2: Data, just a normal Tuesday night, right.
Speaker 1: But then something completely shatters your sense of reality, because gliding across the lunar mare casting a faint shadow is a massive, dark donut shaped.
Speaker 2: Spacecraft, a literal donut.
Speaker 1: Yes. And when I say massive, I mean forty kilometers across. Wow. I mean that is like taking the entire city of London, ripping it out of the ground and just throwing it into space.
Speaker 2: Which is a terrifying visual by the way.
Speaker 1: It is, And it gets worse. It's cruising across the lunar surface at twenty kilometers per second. And to make it even wilder, your data says it is rotating, yeah, spinning fast enough to generate its own artificial gravity. Now, if I told you this was a pitch for like a sci fi blockbuster, you'd probably say it sounds a bit derivative.
Speaker 2: A little to Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Yeah right. But here's the thing that literally kept me up late last night. This wasn't a movie pitch. This was an actual, formal published report issued by researchers at a national government astronomical observatory in August twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: It's just it creates this immediate cognitive dissonance. I mean, when a claim of that magnitude a forty kilometer gravity generating megastructure comes from an anonymous forum post, you just scroll past it, you don't even register it exactly. But when it comes from an institution equipped with serious hardware, an institution with a century long pedigree in the sciences, your brain is just forced to halt.
Speaker 1: You have to pay attention, you do.
Speaker 2: You have to ask what they are actually seeing because the data is real. The photons hit the camera sensor. So what is the actual physical reality causing that specific pattern of light and shadow?
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to thrilling Threads. This is the place where we take a massive stack of your sources and unravel the most fascinating stories hidden inside. And today, I mean, my desk is absolutely buried.
Speaker 2: You have an absurd amount of paper over there.
Speaker 1: I really do. I've been sifting through articles from space dot Com, the IC, the Jerusalem Post, the Skeptical Inquirer, and the Key of Post. But beyond the mainstream media, we are diving deep into dense astrophysical preprints.
Speaker 2: I heavy stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, raw data reports from the Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences and incredibly detailed analytical essays by Harvard astronomers. I had to read some of these physics papers three times just to wrap my head around the math.
Speaker 2: It is a genuinely staggering collection of information. You have this wild collision of mainstream news hysteria, frontline military intelligence reporting, and highly technical, peer reviewed astrophysics, and.
Speaker 1: It's all swirling around the exact same patches guy, exactly. So the mission today is to tear into these wild August twenty twenty six reports from this Ukrainian observatory claiming giant UAP's unidentified aerial phenomena. We're just swarm in the moon.
Speaker 2: But we aren't just going to look at the headlines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not at all. We are going to trace the history of these specific claims backward. We have to look at the ongoing war in the region, the psychological pressure cooker these scientists were operating, which is huge, it's everything. And then we are going to use rigorous, step by step optical physics to figure out what was actually happening in sicilunar space.
Speaker 2: And for you listening, the reason this specific case study is so vital is that we live in a hyper connected era. A headline about a forty kilometer lunar spaceship will travel around the globe ten times before the scientific method can even get out of bed.
Speaker 1: That is so true.
Speaker 2: The story we are dissecting today is an absolute masterclass in critical thinking. It demonstrates in brutal real time just how easily advanced technology, raw data, and brilliant minds can be utterly compromised when the world around you is in a state of chaos.
Speaker 1: So let's start peeling back the layers. If frontline troops and astronomers were suddenly seeing massive anomalies on the Moon in twenty twenty six, we have to figure out how that paranoia got started.
Speaker 2: We can't just jump straight to the forty kilometer donut exactly.
Speaker 1: We have to rewind the clock to September twenty twenty two because this was part of an ongoing, highly documented saga. There was a paper published on the pre print server ARKIV by a researcher named Boris Ziliev and his team working out.
Speaker 2: Of the main astronomical observatory of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, the MAO NASU.
Speaker 1: Right, and we should probably establish what that is, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: To give some crucial context, the MAO NASHUE is not a fringe organization. It was founded in nineteen forty.
Speaker 1: Four, so they've been around long time.
Speaker 2: It is a highly respected body that has contributed significantly to our understanding of the cosmos, from planetary physics to stellar dynamics. The global science tific community pays attention to their publication.
Speaker 1: They are amateurs, not at all.
Speaker 2: In this particular twenty twenty two paper, Ziv and his team were utilizing specially calibrated meteor cameras at two distinct weather stations.
Speaker 1: One was located in the capital.
Speaker 2: Kiev, right, yes, and the other was in a village called Vinnerifka, which sits about one hundred and twenty kilometers to the south Okay.
Speaker 1: So they published this paper claiming that the daytime sky over Ukraine was practically swarming with unidentified craft and they broke these objects down into two very specific categories.
Speaker 2: The first one was the cosmics, right.
Speaker 1: They described these as luminous objects, meaning they were visibly brighter than the background of the bright daytime sky, and they gave him these majestic bird names like swift, falcon, eagle.
Speaker 2: Very poetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They claimed these cosmics were flying solo but also in coordinated squadrons. But the second category they documented was well, far more perplexing from a physics standpoint.
Speaker 2: They labeled them phantoms. Phantoms according to their censor data, phantoms were completely dark objects. They described them as having a contrast of practically zero, meaning they were entirely.
Speaker 1: Black, just absorbing every single photon of light that hit them exactly.
Speaker 2: And based on the dual camera setup they were using between Key and Venerifka, the team calculated that these phantoms were between ten to forty feet wide, so roughly three to twelve meters across.
Speaker 1: And the kicker was the speed they clocked these pitch black objects traveling through the lower atmosphere at speeds to fifteen kilometers per second. That is roughly thirty three thousand miles per hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that number is wild.
Speaker 1: I remember reading that in the source material and just stopping cold. Thirty three thousand miles per hour. Let's ground that in reality for a second for everyone listening. An intercontinental ballistic missile re entering the atmosphere tops out of what maybe fifteen thousand miles.
Speaker 2: Per hour around there.
Speaker 1: Yes, and those things are designed specifically to survive massive thermal friction. They still look like blazing meteors when they come.
Speaker 2: Down, literal fireballs.
Speaker 1: Right, So the Ukrainian team is cleaning objects twice as fast as our fastest nuclear delivery systems are flying around. My immediate thought is, if a completely black object the size of a school bus is moving at thirty three thousand miles per hour through the thickest part of its atmosphere, how does it stay black?
Speaker 2: It wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't the sheer friction ignite the air around it. I mean, if you've ever seen a shooting star, that's just a pebble hitting the atmosphere and it creates a streak of fire visible for hundreds of miles.
Speaker 2: A tiny pebble exactly.
Speaker 1: So how could something massive move that fast, completely silently and not look like a miniature sun.
Speaker 2: That intuition you have is the exact physical paradox that caught the attention.
Speaker 1: Of Auvi Lobe, the Harvard guy.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's a former chair of the astronomy department at Harvard University and the head of the Galileo project, which specifically looks for evidence of extraterrestrial technological signatures.
Speaker 1: So he's not a skeptic who just dismisses UFOs out of hand.
Speaker 2: The furthest thing from it. Loba is highly receptive to the idea of non human technology. He wrote a whole book arguing that the interstellar object Umorimua might have been an artificial solar sale. Oh wow, right, so he is not a rigid dismiss a skeptic. But when he read this twenty twenty two paper from the Ukrainian Observatory, he immediately identified a fundamental breakdown in the basic laws of thermodynamics and optics.
Speaker 1: Because physics is physics, right, It doesn't matter if the craft was built in a secret underground base or in another star system. Precisely, if it is flying through our air, it has to interact with the nitrogen and oxibure molecules in our air.
Speaker 2: That is the cornerstone of lobes rebettal. It relies on an elegant, unbreakable chain of logic. The Ukrainian astronomers only detected these phantoms because they appeared dark against a bright sky. Okay, tracking For any physical object to appear dark against a bright daytime background, it must be blocking the background light from reaching the camera lens makes sense. Light itself is an electromagnetic wave. Therefore, if the object is successful blocking light, it is interacting electromagnetically with matter. And if it interacts with light, there is absolutely no physical loophole that allows it to pass through a dense soup of atmospheric gases without also interacting with those air molecules.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like walking through a crowded room. You can't say I'm only going to bump into the people wearing red shirts, but I'll magically pass right through the people wearing blue shirts.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 1: If the object is solid enough to block photons of light, it is solid enough to smash into a wall.
Speaker 2: Of oxygen that is a perfect way to visualize it. In physics, we talk about this in terms of a cross section.
Speaker 1: A cross section.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of a cross section as the effective target area an object presents for a specific type of collision. The cross section for the electromagnetic interaction of air molecules with solid matter is actually substantially larger than it is for light with matter.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it hits more air than it does light exactly.
Speaker 2: So if this phantom is plowing through the troposphere, pushing trillions of air molecules out of the way at fifteen kilometers per secon the kinetic energy being converted into heat would be catastrophic.
Speaker 1: It would just be a bomb.
Speaker 2: Lobe actually sat down and did the math. He calculated that an object three to twelve meters wide, moving at fifteen kilometers per second in the lower atmosphere would release a tarowat of optical power a terrawat.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know that's a massive number, but what does a tarowat actually look like in the real world.
Speaker 2: To put a tarowat of continuous power into perspective, it is roughly equivalent to the total electrical power consumption of the entire human race at any given moment.
Speaker 1: Wait, the entire human race at once.
Speaker 2: Every city, every factory, every light bulb on Earth combined, right, all of that energy released by a single object in the sky over Kiev. It wouldn't be a dark, stealthy phantom. It would be a blindingly bright, world shaking fireball that would likely blind anyone looking at it and shatter windows for miles.
Speaker 1: Just from the heat of it pushing the air.
Speaker 2: Yes, and because the astronomers explicitly stated in their data that these objects were completely dark, and because you know, Kiev was not vaporized by a tarot watt firebug, right.
Speaker 1: Which we would have noticed.
Speaker 2: Lobe concluded that their fundamental kinematic measurements had to be deeply flawed.
Speaker 1: So if the laws of physics aren't broken, then the math on the paper is broken. Exactly If they got the speed and the size that drastically wrong, there is only one variable in their equation that could be throwing everything else off. They must have messed at the distance.
Speaker 2: The distance is the key.
Speaker 1: They thought they were looking at massive objects very high up, but they were actually looking at small things much closer to the camera.
Speaker 2: That is the exact deduction Lowe made He reasoned that the Ukrainian team had overestimated the distance to these objects by a factor of ten.
Speaker 1: A factor of ten.
Speaker 2: Yes, in optics, angular velocity, which is how fast something appears to move across your field of vision, is entirely dependent on distance. If you take their data and assume the objects were ten times closer to the camera lenses than the astronomers calculated, everything snaps back into physical reality.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if we fix the math, would we get.
Speaker 2: Their angular motion across the sky now translates to a physical speed that is ten times slower, so about one point five kilometers per second, which.
Speaker 1: Is still fast, but not thirty three thousand miles an hour, right.
Speaker 2: And the physical size of the objects becomes ten times smaller, roughly zero point three to one point two meters.
Speaker 1: Let me process that one point five kilometers per second and about three feet long.
Speaker 2: Does that ring any bells?
Speaker 1: That sounds terrifyingly familiar, especially considering where this observatory is located. They were looking up at the sky over Kievan twenty twenty two. That isn't an alien spacecraft. That is the exact size and speed profile of an artillery shell.
Speaker 2: It is a sobering tragic realization. The researchers were utilizing incredibly sensitive equipment to observe the skies over an active, brutal war zone. They were capturing the ballistic arc of heavy artillery and misinterpreting the data as hypersonic, extraterrestrial or advanced classified craft.
Speaker 1: I do want to bring up another perspective on this twenty twenty two paper, though, Okay sure, because our sources mentioned Mick West, the researcher who runs the metabunk form. He spends his life analyzing and debunking UAP footage. He looked at the same data from the Ukrainian team, but came with a slightly different conclusion than Lobe about what the phantoms were.
Speaker 2: Right, Mick West proposed a biological explanation bugs basic exactly. He argued that the dark phantoms were likely insects like flies or beetles, flying extremely close to the camera lens. His argument hinged on the frame by frame data provided by the observatory so well. In the sequential photographs, the objects appeared to change their speed erratically. In one fraction of a second, the object covered a certain number of pixels, and in the next rame it covered twice as many, so.
Speaker 1: It looked like it was speeding up and slowing down right.
Speaker 2: West argued that an artillery shell follows a very predictable, smooth ballistic trajectory. It doesn't radically hit the gas mid air. But an insect darting around a few feet from a lens absolutely.
Speaker 1: Does the classic out of focus bug tricking a security camera. We've all seen those videos of ghosts that turn out to be a b off exactly.
Speaker 2: But Lobe pushed back on the insect theory, didn't he He did.
Speaker 1: He pointed out that Mick West was falling into a common optical trap.
Speaker 2: He did, and it highlights a brilliant nuance in optical geometry. Lobe countered by explaining that an object moving at a perfectly constant speed can create the visual illusion of changing speed if its distance relative to the observer is changing.
Speaker 1: Wait, explain that a bit more.
Speaker 2: Think about standing on a sidewalk as a car drives past you. When the car is a mile down the road coming toward you, it looks like it's barely moving. As it gets right in front of you, it zips past in a blur. Then as it drives away, it seems to slow down again. Oh, I see the car didn't suddenly hit the brakes and then accelerate. Its angular velocity across your field of vision changed based on its proximity.
Speaker 1: To you, because the closer it is, the more your field of view it crosses in the same amount of time.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Lobe argued that the the erratic pixel jumps in the Ukrainian data, we're perfectly consistent with constant speed artillery shells moving on an angle either toward or away from the cameras, rather than perfectly parallel to them.
Speaker 1: It's incredible to think about highly educated astronomers looking at their own skies and coming away with such a massive misinterpretations.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: But to really grasp how a century old institution could make these errors, we can't just look at the math. We have to look at the psychology of the environment.
Speaker 2: The context is everything we need.
Speaker 1: To transition from the quiet academic observatories to the muddy, chaotic front lines of the military. Because this isn't just a story about miscalibrated telescopes. It's a story about the devastating fog of war and how prolonged anxiety literally rewires human perception.
Speaker 2: The historical context here is vital for understanding that psychological shift. If we look back to nineteen sixty seven, during the Soviet era, planetary scientists working at this very same main astronomical observatory.
Speaker 1: In people like ikkovel.
Speaker 2: Yes prominent figures like him, regularly observed strange anomalies. They saw flashing, reddish objects and strange streaks in the sky. But their institutional culture at the time was intensely conservative and grounded.
Speaker 1: So what did they do with those reports?
Speaker 2: They collectively dismissed all of it. They attributed it to satellite orbital decay, rocket booster stages, re entering the atmosphere, or just weird atmospheric phenomena. They had absolutely zero interest in entertaining the extraterrestrial hypothesis.
Speaker 1: So what changed? Why did the same institution go from rolling their eyes and flashing lights in nineteen sixty seven to publishing papers about alien armadas in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: It's because the sky itself weaponized.
Speaker 1: Right post independence and severely post twenty twenty two, monitoring the airspace over Ukraine was no longer an esoteric academic pursuit of charting stars or tracking meteor showers.
Speaker 2: It became a desperate, high stakes requirement for national survival.
Speaker 1: The national security apparatus was forced to heavily militarize every aspect of airspace monitoring. When your cities and power grids are under constant daily threat from ballistic missiles, hypersonic lide bombs, and autonomous drone swarms.
Speaker 2: The luxury of academic skepticism evaporates.
Speaker 1: Exactly every single anomalous blip on a radar screen, every flash of light in the sky is a potential mass casualty event. You have thousands of soldiers and defense personnel looking up, and they are tasked with instantly differentiating between a domestic reconnaissance drone, a foreign loitering munition and incoming cruise missile, a harmless weather balloon or a starlink satellite.
Speaker 2: The pressure is unimaginable, and.
Speaker 1: When your brain is subjected to that kind of unrelenting, high stake stress, it starts seeing threats everywhere. You are actively primed to find the monster.
Speaker 2: In the dark, which brings us to a crucial incident. In our source material from May twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Five, Yes, the flash video right which.
Speaker 2: The military didn't declassify and make public until a year later in May twenty twenty six. This came directly from a senior Ukrainian drone warfare and electronic intelligence advisor named Serhi Biskresnov.
Speaker 1: Who goes by the call sign flash. Yes.
Speaker 2: The flash video sent shockwaves through the defense intelligence community. The footage was captured by a pilot from the Ukrainian Unmanned System's Forces.
Speaker 1: And they were just using a regular drone, right yeah.
Speaker 2: The pilot was operating a standard commercially available DJI Mavic three T drone. It's heavily utilized in the conflict because it is equipped with a high resolution thermal imaging camera.
Speaker 1: Very useful for spotting things at night.
Speaker 2: Absolutely during active combat operations. At an altitude of roughly eight hundred meters, this drone pilot captured a crystal clear infrared video of a highly anomalous object hovering over the battlefield.
Speaker 1: The visual description of this object from the thermal feed is pure nightmare fuel for a.
Speaker 2: Soldier, it really is.
Speaker 1: It was described as a flattened spherical central body, but protruding from it were six very distinct, sharply pointed cones or spikes.
Speaker 2: Like a sea orch and almost.
Speaker 1: Yes or bizarre mine and on the thermal camera which reads heat signatures. It had a pronounced highly active thermal plume trailing behind it, so.
Speaker 2: It was generating heat, lots of it.
Speaker 1: But the detail that really got under my skin when reading the report was its behavior. It was just hovering there, completely silent, moving at a crawl, and totally unresponsive to the military drone observing it.
Speaker 2: It didn't try to evase.
Speaker 1: No, it just floated over an active war zone.
Speaker 2: The reason the specific footage caught fire globally wasn't just its bizarre shape, but its morphological twin in the historical record.
Speaker 1: Wait, we've seen this shape before.
Speaker 2: We have. In twenty thirteen, a United States Central Command infrared platform operating in a combat zone in the Middle East captured a strikingly similar video.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yes? That incident is designated in US intelligence files as dowuap p R thirty eight. The twenty thirteen American video showed an eight pointed star shaped object, also featuring alternating cones or arms, projecting from a central hub, floating over a military area.
Speaker 1: So twelve years earlier, a totally different military force saw almost the exact same spike sphere.
Speaker 2: There were technical differences, To be fair, the US footage showed internal cold spots within the main body, whereas the Ukrainian footage showed a distinct external heat plume.
Speaker 1: Okay, so different thermal signatures.
Speaker 2: Right, But the geometric similarities between the two objects, observed twelve years apart in entirely different war zones were impossible for intelligence analysts to ignore.
Speaker 1: Let's put ourselves in the boots of that Ukrainian drone pilot for a second. You are operating in a trench. You see the spike heat venting sphere hovering above your sector. Your first thought is absolutely not, oh wow, we are being visited by interdimensional beings.
Speaker 2: Definitely not.
Speaker 1: Your immediate panic conducing thought is what kind of black budget enemy tech is this?
Speaker 2: Is it a new electronic warfare jammer?
Speaker 1: Right? Is it a laser designator painting my unit for an artillery strike? When your entire daily existence revolves around sing an endless barrage of advanced weaponry, your brain files everything under enemy threat.
Speaker 2: That is the critical geopolitical and psychological bedrock of this entire deep diet, Well, this entire thrilling threads analysis. The military anxiety bleeds directly into the civilian and academic sectors because.
Speaker 1: The astronomers are living in the exact same world as the soldiers.
Speaker 2: The exact same combat environment. The immense pressure to monitor the sky, combined with the constant looming dread of advanced, unclassified enemy weaponry created a cognitive environment that was incredibly vulnerable to misinterpreting data.
Speaker 1: The baseline level of institutional paranoia and urgency had completely eroded the standard scientific filters.
Speaker 2: It stripped them away.
Speaker 1: If frontline troops are seeing spiked spheres on thermal cameras in your city as being bombed daily, your threshold for what constitutes normal is just gone. And this is the vital context that explains how we finally arrive at the main event.
Speaker 2: The August twenty twenty six lunar reports.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've unraveled the twenty twenty two fantoms that turned out to be artillery shells. We've analyzed the twenty twenty five military drones spouting thermal spheres. Now the stage is perfectly set to understand the staggering reality breaking claims published regarding the moon.
Speaker 2: This is the moment the narrative escalates from misidentified local phenomena in the Earth's atmosphere to alleged megastructures operating in deep sicaluinar space.
Speaker 1: I want to set the scene for this because the details matter. We are back at the vineyf To Metior station, that small village about one hundred and twenty kilometers south.
Speaker 2: Of Kiev, same one from the twenty twenty two paper.
Speaker 1: Yes, the observations took place over the late summer and autumn of twenty twenty five, so they spent months analyzing the data before the reports caused an absolute uproar at the Third Summer School on Atrophysics in Kiev in August twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the hardware they were relying on, because it's important, go for it. They were using an Intersalter M six ZHO three telescope. They paired this with an ASI two ninety four pro Hi speed astronomical camera. They were shooting continuous video of the Moon at twenty to fifty frames per.
Speaker 1: Second, which means their exposure times were really short.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly the amount of time the camera shutter is open to collect light for each frame was incredibly short, Just tiny fractions of a second, what does that matter? Well, using high frame rates and short exposure times is standard operating procedure if your goal is to track fast moving, bright objects like meteors burning up in the atmosphere.
Speaker 1: Which is what a met youor station normally does exactly.
Speaker 2: But as we will explore in a moment, that exact hardware configuration becomes an immense liability when you are trying to resolve faint, low contrast objects against an overwhelmingly bright background like the illuminated surface of the Moon.
Speaker 1: Okay, put a pin in that. Let's look at what the Ukrainian team actually claimed to have found on September seven, twenty twenty five. They categorize these lunar anomalies into two distinct buckets.
Speaker 2: The first group they called atmospheric anomalies.
Speaker 1: Now they didn't meet Earth's atmosphere. They meant these objects appeared to be positioned in the extremely thin exosphere of the Moon, locked in place relative to the lunar surface, hovering there. Yeah, and they claimed these objects were flashing rapidly pulsing light two dy eight times per second.
Speaker 2: The flashing alone is unusual, but the detail that elevated this from an oddity to a claim of extraterrestrial intelligence was the assertion of synchronous behavior.
Speaker 1: Synchronous like flashing together.
Speaker 2: Yes, the team stated that their analysis proved these objects, which appeared to be separated by hundreds of kilometers across the lunar disc were flashing in perfect.
Speaker 1: Unison across hundreds of miles.
Speaker 2: Yes. They ran the data and maintained there was a statistically significant correlation in the light pulses. To the researchers, this wasn't random noise. This suggested coordinated active communication between anchored cislunar stations.
Speaker 1: They thought they were watching a massive alien communications array pinging data back and forth across the Moon.
Speaker 2: It's an incredible conclusion to jump to.
Speaker 1: And the sheer scale of these objects. The used radiometric math comparing the brightness of the flashing anomaly to the known reflection of sunlight off the lunar surface.
Speaker 2: And what do they calculate?
Speaker 1: They calculated that these quote unquote stations were anywhere from three hundred and ten meters to eighteen hundred meters wide. That is a space station over a mile wide.
Speaker 2: Over a mile.
Speaker 1: But incredibly, that was the conservative part of the paper that was nothing compared to their second.
Speaker 2: Category, the continental anomalies.
Speaker 1: Yes, if the atmospheric anomalies were bright, flashing stations, the continental anomalies were the exact opposite. They described these as massive, extremely dark targets moving actively and deliberately across the lunar surface.
Speaker 2: The team calculated a contrast of just three percent to ten percent against the lunar background with an incredibly tiny albedo of point zero two nine.
Speaker 1: Let's define albedo really quickly for anyone who is an an astrophysicist. Is that basically just a measurement of how reflective a surface.
Speaker 2: Is spot on. Albedo is a measure of reflectivity on a scale from zero to one. An albedo of zero means an object is a perfect black body absorbing all light, while an albedo of one means it reflects all light like a perfect mirror.
Speaker 1: So an albedo of points zero two nine.
Speaker 2: Means these objects were absorbing over ninety seven percent of the sunlight hitting them Against the bright reflective surface of the Moon. They appeared as massive, moving ink black shadows.
Speaker 1: So they had these incredibly faint, fast moving shadows on their video feed. What do they do they take this video data and run it through image enhancement software called matt Lab to try and pull out the detail, which.
Speaker 2: Is where things get really messy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when they cranked up the contrast algorithms on these shadows, they claimed the software revealed distinct structured shapes. They report seeing flat disks, and most infamously, massive toroids.
Speaker 2: A toroid is the geometric term for a donut or a ring.
Speaker 1: Shape, and the scale they calculated is just baffling. They claimed these donut shaped craft were thirteen to forty kilometers wide, traveling across the Moon at speeds of six to twenty kilometers per second.
Speaker 2: The kinematic calculations the complex math detailing how these objects were moving through space became the centerpiece of their follow up paper, which had the rather sensational title UFO Dynamics on the Moon.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't say they didn't know how to write a catchy title.
Speaker 2: True. The team focused intensely on one specific toroid that they calculated to be thirty six kilometers wide. In their sequential frames, they measured this colossal ring rotating four point three degrees in two seconds.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's spinning if.
Speaker 2: You extrapolate that out, it gives the object a full three hundred and sixty degree rotation period of one hundred and fifty seven seconds.
Speaker 1: I remember doing the math on that while reading the prep materials in my brain just rebelled. They calculated that a thirty six kilometer wide solid ring spinning a full rotation every two and a half minutes would generate massive centrifugal force. It would, They stated, it would create an artificial gravity of point four to seven g at its outer rim. That is almost half of Earth's gravity just from the spin. And they claimed other objects in the video were spinning so violently they were generating over two times Earth's gravity.
Speaker 2: They weren't just claiming to have spotted a weird rock. They were explicitly claiming to have discovered massive non human spacecraft utilizing advanced artificial gravity to navigate the lunar environment. Staggering and to defend the plausibility of their findings, they heavily cited previous anomalous literature, specifically a twenty twenty study by an analyst named Mark Carlotto.
Speaker 1: Oh Right, the Carlato study.
Speaker 2: Carlato had analyzed video taken by an amateur French astronomer showing dark objects transitting across the lunar crater Endymion. Carloto used the known one hundred kilometer width of the Endymion crater to calculate that the objects in that twenty twenty video were traveling at roughly fifty kilometers per second.
Speaker 1: Fifty kilometers per second, yes, to.
Speaker 2: Put that in perspective, that is thirty times faster than a standard low lunar orbit. The Ukrainian team used Carlotto's paper as a shield, arguing, you know, hypersonic massive lunar craft have been documented in the literature before, just confirming it.
Speaker 1: But hold on a second, we need a pause, step back from the spreadsheets and just apply some basic macroscopic common sense. Here a forty kilometers spinning doughnut going twenty kilometers a second.
Speaker 2: It's hard to visualize it is.
Speaker 1: That is a physical object twice the size of the island of Manhattan. Imagine picking up Manhattan, spinning it like a centrifuge, and flying it from New York to Philadelphia in about five seconds.
Speaker 2: The air resistance alone, well there's no air but the inertia right.
Speaker 1: The sheer kinetic energy, the material strength required to hold a ring of that size together under those gravitational sheer forces. It defies all known material science. How could seasoned professional scientists at a national academy look at this data and confidently publish something so seemingly absurd?
Speaker 2: That is the pivotal question of this entire investigation. How does rigorously train scientific methodology go so spectacularly wrong?
Speaker 1: It has to be a mistake, right.
Speaker 2: The answer isn't that they were unintelligent. The answer is a fast cascading series of errors in astrophysics, optics, and computational mathematics. Let's systemically dismantle these claims.
Speaker 1: Let's do it, and we have to.
Speaker 2: Start with the most fatal foundational flaw in their entire methodology, which is the degeneracy error.
Speaker 1: All right, break this down for me. What exactly is a degeneracy error.
Speaker 2: To understand the error, we have to contrast it with what they did right in the past. Think back to their twenty twenty two observations of the artillery shells the phantoms over Kiev. Even though they got the nature of the object wrong, their baseline distance tracking was grounded in a solid concept which was wide. They used two cameras. One camera was in Kiev, the other was in Vinarifka one hundred and twenty kilometers apart. By having two different physical dvantage points looking at the exact same object in the sky, they could use trigonometry to calculate parallax.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Like, if I hold my thumb out at arm's lengths, close my left eye, and look at it with my right eye, it aligns with a certain lamp in my room. Yes, perfect, But if I switch eyes, my thumb appears to jump three feet to the left against the background. Because I know the distance between my two eyes, my brain can automatically calculate how far away my thumb is exactly.
Speaker 2: That is dual station triangulation. It gives you the absolute hard physical distance to an object. If you know the distance, you can accurately calculate both its true size and its true speed.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's what they did in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yes, But for these August twenty twenty six Lunar reports, the Ukrainian team completely abandoned that method. The vinery of cstation relied entirely on single station line of sight tracking. They were using just one telescope.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I see where this is going. If you only have one camera, you lose depth perception.
Speaker 2: Precisely, when you only have one telescope looking at a dark dot moving across a bright background, you collide head on with the distant size speed degeneracy.
Speaker 1: The distant size speed degeneration.
Speaker 2: Is a fundamental limitation of optics. If you do not possess an independent way to measure exactly how far away the object is from your lens, you literally cannot know its true size or.
Speaker 1: Its true speed, because it could be anything.
Speaker 2: Mathematically speaking, a tiny, slow moving object located very close to your telescope looks identical on a two D sensor to a massive, incredibly fast object located hundreds of thousands of kilometers away.
Speaker 1: It's like going Imagine you are looking out the window of an airplane at cruising altitude. You see a dark shape flying past your window against the backdrop of the patchwork farm fields below right. If you assume the shape is way down there, thousands of feet below, skimming the ground, you might calculate that it's a massive Boeing seven forty seven flying at five hundred miles an hour, But in reality, it could just be a pigeon flying ten feet outside your window, exactly because it's a silhouette against the background without depth perception. The math for a distant seven forty seven and a close pigeon is exactly the same.
Speaker 2: That is a brilliant analogy, and that is precisely the trap the Ukrainian researchers fell into. They made one massive, unverified foundational assumption.
Speaker 1: They assumed it was at the moon.
Speaker 2: Yes, because the objects were visually crossing the face of the Moon in the telescope's eye piece. They simply assumed the objects were physically located at the Moon, which is roughly three hundred and eighty four thousand, four hundred kilometers away.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Every single mind bending calculation, the forty kilometer size, the twenty kilometer per second speed, the artificial gravity was entirely built on that single unverified assumption of distance.
Speaker 1: So the entire house of cards rests on the distance. Let's play with that math. What happens if we pull that assumed distance way back? What if the object isn't three hundred and eighty four thousand kilometers away in lunar orbit.
Speaker 2: Let's do exactly what the peer reviewers did and apply the kinematic math to a much more terrestrial common scenario. Let's assume the object is actually in.
Speaker 1: Lower orbit leo, Okay, much closer.
Speaker 2: Let's say it is orbiting about one thousand kilometers above the surface of the Earth, and it just happened to pass through the telescope's line of sight while they were filming the Moon.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: If we shrink the assumed distance in their formulas from three hundred and eighty four thousand, four hundred kilometers down to just one thousand kilometers, the math collapses instantly into reality. What happens to the doughnut that terrifying gravity generating thirty six kilometer wide toroid? It instantly shrinks down to just ninety three point six meters across.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute. Ninety three point six meters, Well, that isn't just a random number that feels incredibly specifically familiar in aerospace, It.
Speaker 2: Is extremely specific. Ninety three point six meters is the exact physical length and optical profile of a SpaceX Falcon nine upper stage rocket or a similarly sized standard piece of heavy orbital space debris.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: And let's look at the speed under this new distance assumption. It drops from a hypersonic impossible twenty kilometers per second down to a leisurely twenty eight point six meters per second relative to the observer's angular line of sight.
Speaker 1: And let me guess that speed is normal.
Speaker 2: That speed at that distance is the standard mundane orbital velocity of space junk.
Speaker 1: That is absolutely unbelievable. They thought they were looking at a Manhattan sized alien mothership cruising over lunar craters, but they were actually just staring at a discarded piece of Elon Musk's space junk drifting in Earth's orbit.
Speaker 2: It really is quite the realization.
Speaker 1: And the irony here is palpable, because, if I recall correctly, a falcon On upper stage actually did impact the Moon in August twenty twenty six, the entire cislunar environment was practically a junkyard of our own making at that time.
Speaker 2: Exactly we are polluting our own line of sight.
Speaker 1: But identifying the object as a rocket booster only solves the size and speed anomaly. True, we still have to dismantle the rest of their claims. For instance, what about the atmospheric anomalies. The researchers claimed they had video of objects positioned hundreds of kilometers apart on the lunar surface, flashing in perfect synchronous unison. How does a piece of dead space junk explain coordinated Morse code?
Speaker 2: It doesn't, and the objects weren't flashing. What the astronomers recorded was a classic fundamental optical phenomenon known as atmospheric scintillation.
Speaker 1: Scintillation is that the scientific term for why stars appear to twinkle when we look up at night.
Speaker 2: It is exactly that space is a vacuum, but Earth is wrapped in a thick blanket of moving gas. When light from a distant source, whether it's a star or sunlight reflecting off space debris, or the Moon itself, passes down through Earth's atmosphere to reach a telescope lens, it doesn't travel in a straight, unimpeded line.
Speaker 1: It gets messed up by the air.
Speaker 2: Right it hits turbulent layers of air. These layers have different temperatures, different densities, and shifting thermal currents. Think of the heat waves you see shimmering above black asphalt on a hot summer day.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, the mirage effect.
Speaker 2: Exactly that turbulence refracts, distorts, and modulates the intensity of the incoming light. Now consider the telescope at Vinerivka. It was zoomed in incredibly tight on the Moon. Its field of view was microscopic compared to the sky.
Speaker 1: So a tiny straw of vision.
Speaker 2: Therefore, the light paths from these separate objects on the Moon were traveling through the exact same narrow column of turbulent air to reach the camera sensor.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see it. So a massive thermal heat wave ripples through the upper atmosphere directly above the telescope in Ukraine. Because the field of view is so narrow, that single heat wave distorts the light of everything in the lens at the exact same moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Earth's atmosphere was literally acting like a dimmer switch, turning the light up and down. Wow, the objects on the Moon were not pulsing. The arab of the telescope was pulsing. It was a common mode atmospheric modulation.
Speaker 1: But wait, why did it look so sharp on the video?
Speaker 2: Because the telescope was shooting at such high frame rates up to fifty frames per second, it perfectly captured the high frequency shimmering of the atmosphere. The researchers fundamentally failed to filter out the environment, and.
Speaker 1: They misinterpreted a breeze in Earth's atmosphere as coordinated alien signaling.
Speaker 2: They really did.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the colossal size is a fatal math error based on single lens distance assumptions. The synchronous flashing is just atmospheric heat waves. But we still have one massive elephant in the room. The shapes the shapes. The researchers didn't just say they saw dark spots. They put these images through matt Lab and published pictures of highly distinct toroids, donuts, and flat discs if they were looking at a cylindrical Falcon nine rocket booster. How in the world does a computer algorithm accidentally turn a tube into a perfect hollow donut.
Speaker 2: This is perhaps the most fascinating cautionary technical error in the entire saga. It goes to the heart of how digital imaging works at the extreme limits of physics.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Remember the baseline data these objects had incredibly low contrast, just three percent to ten percent against the blindingly bright backdrop of the Moon. Furthermore, because of the distance and the size of the telescope lens, these objects were infinitesimally small on the actual camera sensor. How small we are talking about tiny faint specks of digital noise, barely two by two pixels wide. They were operating at the absolute unforgiving diffraction limit of the telescope's resolving power.
Speaker 1: So on the raw video feed, these objects were just barely perceptible gray smudges. You weren't clearly defined ships.
Speaker 2: Barely a smudge. Now what happens when you take a faint two pixel smudge near the diffraction limit of a lens and you run it through an aggressive extreme contrast enhancement mathematical algorithm in software like matt Lab.
Speaker 1: I mean, my intuition is that the software will clean up the image and reveal the hidden true details of the object, like those spy movies where they yell enhance.
Speaker 2: Right, But that is in how physics works. Instead of revealing the object, the software actually reveals the optical signature of the telescope itself.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by the telescope's signature, The telescope puts its own shape onto the image.
Speaker 2: Essentially, yes, every circular telescope lens has a specific, mathematically defined way it bends lightwaves. This is known in optics as its point spread function or.
Speaker 1: PSF okay, point spread function.
Speaker 2: When a point of light passes through a circular aperture, the light waves interfere with each other. This creates a specific pattern called an airy disc. It consists of a bright central point surrounded by a series of faint, concentric circular diffraction rings.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to picture that.
Speaker 2: If you drop a pebble into a completely still pond, you see a central splash surrounded by expanding circular ripples. An airy disc is exactly that, but made of light waves.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm visualizing the ripples in the pond. So the camera sensor is capturing this tiny speck, and because of the lens, that speck actually has a microscopic, invisible ripple of light around.
Speaker 2: It, exactly in the raw, unedited footage, you can't see the ripple because it's too faint. But mattlab algorithms are designed to find edges. They look for tiny differences in contrast and aggressively amplify them.
Speaker 1: Oh no, so when they cranked up the contrast.
Speaker 2: When the Ukrainian researchers artificially cranked up the contrast matrix on those two pixel smudges, the software algorithm locked onto that first diffraction ring, that first microscopic optical ripple of the airy disc, and mathematically amplified it. It grabbed the ripple, It brightened the ring and darkened the center. They mathematically transformed a blurry, solid dot of sensor noise into a hollow ring like geometric structure.
Speaker 1: They quite literally prompted a computer algorithm to generate a mathematical doughnut where absolutely none existed in physical reality.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the software just highlighted the flaws in the lens.
Speaker 1: That is wild. The software just hallucinated a spaceship out of a lens artifact. But what about the rotation? The paper went into immense detail calculated that donut was spinning four point three degrees every two seconds, which is how they got the artificial gravity claim.
Speaker 2: This is the tragic punchline to the entire study. They didn't measure a spinning spacecraft. They meticulously measured the rotation of the digital artifact. The four point three degrees of rotation over two seconds was simply a combination of the minor mechanical tracking errors of the telescope mount struggling to follow the moon, combined with the camera sensor's slight rotation and relative to the Earth's turning.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yes, that microscopic drift was mapped onto the artificially generated matt lab. Donut They calculated the centrifugal force of a telescope's tracking error.
Speaker 1: It is a breath taking cascade of cognitive and mathematical failures. A single lens miscalculation turns a piece of orbital garbage into a forty kilometers ship, a localized heat wave makes it look like it's transmitting Morse code, and a heavy handed computer algorithm turns a blurry pixel into a spinning gravity ring.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: It is the ultimate cautionary tale of how brilliant people can perform incredibly complex, rigorous math on fundamentally bad assumptions and end up writing total science fiction, which.
Speaker 2: Brings us to the inevitable fallout. Because when you publish a paper claiming you have mathematically proven the existence of gravity generating alien megastructures in cis lunar space, the broader scientific community is going to put your data under a microscope.
Speaker 1: I can imagine astronomy is a collaborative but fiercely critical field. You don't just draw bombshell like that without someone checking your math.
Speaker 2: And in August twenty twenty six, the pushback was incredibly swift and it was severe. The criticism didn't just come from external skeptics.
Speaker 1: Like Avi Low, it came from inside.
Speaker 2: The most devastating blow came from inside their own house. The Academic Council of the m O NASU, the very institution that employed the researchers, convened a formal emergency seminar to review the findings.
Speaker 1: Wow they call a council.
Speaker 2: They brought in independent physicists, optics experts, and data analysts, and the resulting report did not pull any punches. The council formally censured Zeliev and his colleagues, a.
Speaker 1: Formal censure from the highest council of your own institution. That is basically a career death sentence in academia. What were the specific charges in the censure?
Speaker 2: The council issued a public statement declaring that the processing, filtering, and interpretation of the observational results were conducted at an inadequate scientific level. They systematically pointed out the significant errors in determining the distance to the opbot. They eviscerated the lack of dual station triangulation, and most importantly, they criticized the team's complete failure to rule out both natural phenomena and artificial terrestrial objects like the rampant space debris.
Speaker 1: They basically said, you guys forgot to check for space junk.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Council accused the authors of postulating wildly unjustified conclusions without applying basic critical scientific analysis.
Speaker 1: It's a brutal rebuke, but absolutely necessary to protect the integrity of the institution. And you really have to look at the astronomical environment of August twenty twenty six to understand why the wider community was so frustrated.
Speaker 2: It was a very busy month in space exactly.
Speaker 1: This was objectively the worst possible time in recent history to point a telescope at a dark speck and immediately assume it was extraterrestrial. The sheer volume of cis lundor clutter in August twenty twenty six was unprecedented.
Speaker 2: The sky was an absolute mess of natural and artificial phenomena. In that single month. You had the perihelian and close Earth approach of Comet ten temple, which scattered dust and debris.
Speaker 1: Right and eclipses too right you had.
Speaker 2: A total solar eclipse that was partially visible in Ukraine, altering atmospheric lighting conditions. You had a partial lunar eclipse. You had a planetary conjunction of the Moon and Saturn.
Speaker 1: And on top of all of those natural events, as we mentioned earlier, you had a discarded SpaceX Falcon nine upper stage literally crashing into the lunar surface. The space between Earth and the Moon was a crowded.
Speaker 2: Highway, it really was.
Speaker 1: And meanwhile, back on the ground, the country is still fighting a grinding, massive war. The researchers are living in a city where drones, cruise missiles, and artillery shells are constantly filling the sky and threatening their families.
Speaker 2: This is where Avi Lobe's final philosophical reflection on this entire saga becomes so deeply poignant. He noted that the scientific method does not stop at national borders, and it does not bend to human suffering cold like that, whether you are an experimentalist freezing in a war zone or a theoretical physicists sitting comfortably at Harvard, everyone must obey the same fundamental laws of logic, optics and thermodynamics.
Speaker 1: But when you look at it through the lens of human psychology. You can entirely see how the intense pressure of wartime survival could degrade those standard peer review filters. You absolutely can When you spend years looking at the sky desperately trying to identify hypersonic threats before they impact your city, your brain gets physically rewired. You lose that objective, academic distance.
Speaker 2: You want answers immediately because ambiguity equals death exactly.
Speaker 1: That primal urgency completely bypassed the slow, methodical, skeptical rigor that astronomy demands.
Speaker 2: It is a deeply human failure, not a mechanical one. The intertent house telescope functioned perfectly, the high speed camera captured exactly what was.
Speaker 1: There, and the software did what it was told.
Speaker 2: The software algorithms executed their mathematical commands exactly as programmed. It was the human interpretation and interpretation, heavily warped by stress, expectation, trauma, and flawed geometric assumptions that transformed ordinary space junk and microscopic optical artifacts into a phantom marmada.
Speaker 1: So, as we wrap up this massive investigation, what does this all mean for us? We've gone on quite an incredible journey.
Speaker 2: Today we really have.
Speaker 1: We started by looking at completely black phantom UFOs zooming over key at impossible speeds in twenty twenty two. We moved to front line military drone footage capturing spiked thermal spheres hovered over trenches in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: And it culminated in the staggering twenty twenty six claims of gravity generating forty kilometer megastructures tearing across the moon.
Speaker 1: And at every single step of that journey, we found that rigorous scientific analysis could explain this seemingly impossible.
Speaker 2: By looking at kinetic energy dissipation, applying parallax triangulation, understanding atmospheric scintillation, and decoding optical diffraction limits the supernatural dissolved into the mundane.
Speaker 1: It really highlights yu you listening right now need to arm yourself with a toolkit of critical thinking. When you are scrolling through your feed and you see a viral headline claiming an impossible world changing discovery, always take a breath and check the baseline methodology.
Speaker 2: Ask the simple boring questions.
Speaker 1: How many cameras did they use, did they actually physically measure the distance, or did they just assume it to make the math work. Because, as we've learned today, sometimes a forty kilometer alien spaceship is really just a blurry piece of an old Falcon nine rocket twisted by a math algorithm and a turbulent breeze.
Speaker 2: It serves as a beautiful, humbling reminder that the universe is complex and wondrous enough entirely on its own, without us needing to project our own mathematical artifacts and psychological fears onto it.
Speaker 1: Jil said.
Speaker 2: Discovering the truth requires immense patients, rigorous verification, and a willingness to accept that the boring explanation is almost always the correct one, which.
Speaker 1: Brings me to a final thought out what to leave you with. Given how easily advanced sensors, high end telescopes, and highly trained astronomers were completely tricked by ordinary space debris, atmosphere heat waves, and software contrast algorithms, it makes you wonder it really does. How much of our historical UFO footage do you think is just a trick of the lens? And, more importantly, in a world that is increasingly filled with both orbital junk and highly classified military secrets, how do we keep our minds open to the genuine possibility of the unknown without losing our grip on the fundamental laws of physics. Let us know what your stand is in the comments below. We would love to read your take on this.
Speaker 2: It's a delicate, vital balance we all have to strike as we look up at the stars.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us for this extensive deep dive on thrilling threads. We'll catch you next time as we unravel another incredible story from the edge of science.