Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. What else is going on?
Speaker 2: Time four? What's happening?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Chilling story out of Bellflower. A man who was the subject of a restraining order has killed his ex girlfriend and shot her son, then killed himself. She had just filed a restraining order against him earlier in the day. And it happened last night about ten thirty on our Tisia there. Ex boyfriend, she's terrified of him, goes and gets a restraining order. He shows up and kills her.
Speaker 4: Was he prompted by the restraining order? I mean, I don't know those things right away. That's awful. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I've never been given a restraining order.
Speaker 2: Well, the day is young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, The one o'clock news conference is still planned for the family members of Eric and Lyle Menendez excuse me life sentences for killing their parents in Beverly Hills thirty five year more than thirty five years ago, and these family members are going to speak out as prosecutors are reviewing evidence in this case.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 4: Nearly two dozen relatives are going to be at this news conference. The brothers defense attorney Mark Garagus, and their family said that their biggest wish is for the two to be released from prison and be home in time to celebrate their aunt's ninety third birthday this Thanksgiving. It doesn't happen that fast, no, So you can wish in one hand and have a Turkey pooh in the other if you'd like turkey Pooh.
Speaker 1: Sean Diddy Coombs needs to know the identities of his alleged victims so he can prepare for his criminal trial coming up in May. That's according to his attorneys, who argued in a letter asking the judge to force prosecutors to disclose their names. These are six people that are anonymous. I believe we're up to one hundred and twenty though accusers to date.
Speaker 4: Which is I mean, it's not an unusual it's not an unusual ask. It's just that the judge and the court would have to make sure that the names were protected and not for public consumption. You can request that as a defense attorney right to know who the accuser is, you just have to agree not to publicize.
Speaker 1: It, right. I think that that would be correct.
Speaker 4: There is a big medical issue that has come out of the aftermath of Hurricane Heleene, the hurricane that blew through North Carolina, among other places. It severely affected operations at Baxter International's North Cove production site. It's the largest manufacture of IVY fluids and dialysis solutions in the country. Now Baxter has resumed distribution of their supplies, but with significant restrictions on the amount that could be ordered. They said that since last week, Baxter's been able to expand order capacity to up to sixty percent of typical volume for some of the most in demand IVY fluids, but everything is affected by this. Hospitals around the country affected by this.
Speaker 1: A storm brewing in the Atlantic that could be named Nadine is showing some signs of life, and new radar footage shows the weather event producing twenty eight mile per hour winds in the North Atlantic basin. They say that there is a thirty percent chance of Nadine forming into a tropical storm in the next forty eight hours forty percent odds in seven days.
Speaker 4: Still too early to see if this thing is actually going to hit make landfall anywhere in the United States, but it is expected to bring several inches of rain to the island of Hispaniola, which is Dominican and Haiti.
Speaker 2: Two storms are crossing the Atlantic.
Speaker 4: Meteorologists are monitoring both of them in case they turn into a tropical storm or even tropical depression. ACI Weather showed these systems tropical I could bring life threatening mudslides to port Rico and could trigger power outages in the neighboring Dominican.
Speaker 1: Also starting pitcher Tonight, Walker Bueller. He will take the mound for your Los Angeles Dodgers against the Mets Game three and LC Yes, he says, I feel good, I feel confident, and this was rare, I thought coming from a player. He said, I think that was probably one of my biggest strengths for a long time, was my confidence, I guess, and at times this year that's kind of wavered somewhat.
Speaker 2: That's a mature thing to say.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 4: Two time All Star pitchers been in several big playoff games for the Dodgers, obviously coming off of a challenging regular season. He went one for six with a five to three to eight er, and his last start he went five innings. He allowed six runs in Game three against the padres.
Speaker 1: I kicked the thing, thought, why are you doing that?
Speaker 4: Because I was trying to not make a big deal out of the fact that I'm scratching my left leg with my right foot.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I accidentally hit the.
Speaker 1: Rash flare up again.
Speaker 2: The rash.
Speaker 4: Why don't you just really rash clear? Because then if I reach down, I have to go like this.
Speaker 2: And my faces away from the microphone.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was thinking. I was planning ahead. I'll be careful about where are my feet go next time.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was coming from somewhere else, not from you.
Speaker 2: The strange sounds, yes, Nope, just me.
Speaker 1: I was making sure it wasn't an earthquake. It also was not an earthquake.
Speaker 4: There's a a fun story that the AP is running about football. The NFL's running game has had a bit of a renaissance this season, thanks in part to Baltimore. NFL teams rushing at the highest rate through six weeks since two thousand and eight.
Speaker 1: Guys, I gotta tell you one of my favorite mantras, run the ball. Do you run the ball? You establish the run, it opens up the pass.
Speaker 4: Teams are averaging a record high four and a half yards per carry, the most yards rushing per game at this point a season in forty years. They say the Ravens specifically are a big part part of that.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: So they're quarterback who's basic Lamar Jackson. Yeah, And the fact that they picked up Derrick Henry. Derrick Henry is a beast.
Speaker 2: That guy is a tank.
Speaker 1: That is a football added monster. That's going to be hard to beat, very hard to beat.
Speaker 2: Anyway. I thought, I know you talked baseball. I wanted to throw you a b You.
Speaker 1: Know, that was very nice. I appreciate that. A nice time step.
Speaker 4: I think that's Joaquin Phoenix actually doing it too.
Speaker 1: Joker Too is projected to lose up to two hundred million dollars. It's only grossed fifty one point five million.
Speaker 4: Uh, there's this is a historically bad box office showing. I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if it's good or bad. Producer Oscar said it was bad. It was boring, and people walked out of it. But a lot of people didn't realize that as great as the original Joker movie was with Joaquin Phoenix, I mean just the highest grow highest earning R rated film well over a billion dollars that were earned. Of course, you have to make a sequel to that, don't you do? You have to make a musical sequel.
Speaker 1: Well, they said, this is kind of the Tokyo drift that there's going to be more Joker movies. But this was kind of like the vision of Joaquin Phoenixes that they decided to go.
Speaker 4: With, and then they're going to pretend it never happened exactly. Folly Adieu is now projected to lose anywhere between one hundred and twenty five and two hundred million dollars, depending on which estimate you believe in terms of the cost to actually make the movie in the first place. If it's the three hundred million dollar figure that's generally touted for the production and the marketing, then this is what has hobbled the film.
Speaker 2: It would be it would need.
Speaker 4: Four hundred and seventy five million dollars to break even. But we're talking about a catastrophic opening weekend of just thirty less than thirty eight million dollars, and then the second largest weekend drop ever for a DC film. It dropped eighty one percent in its second weekend.
Speaker 1: Now they say that the visuals of this don't make sense when it comes to how much money was spent on this. They said, the film does not look outrageously lavish, a cloistered affair set largely at the state hospital and in a courtroom. There's virtually nothing in the way of extended CGI pyrotechnics to explain the spend. I say the likeliest explanation for three hundred million dollars is that it was a big bet born out of pandemic desperation for a surefire hit when cinemas reopened.
Speaker 4: At On top of that, Todd Phillips director got twenty million, Joaquin Phoenix got twenty million, Lady Gaga got two twelve million. They said, it's not these two guys, Phillips and Joaquin Phoenix's fault that their top heavy jam beree arrived in the wrong side of the superhero slump that has afflicted both DC and Marvel. But the idea that this was supposed to be, like you said, the passion play, perhaps for Joaquin Phoenix, and it was his idea and born out of his desire to make this.
Speaker 2: Version of the Joker.
Speaker 4: The guys who usually do the DC comic stuff they didn't want to have anything to do with it.
Speaker 2: They didn't want to have anything to do with this.
Speaker 4: Nobody wants some musical comic book villain to do this thing.
Speaker 2: That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: You know what, though, when I look at the amount of money that he made and that she made, we've got to get you back into adult theater.
Speaker 2: Show.
Speaker 1: We should ride this thing out first of November. Rit what like it's done?
Speaker 2: No, I mean it's I got a month in three weeks.
Speaker 1: You've been at rehearsals and you haven't shared that.
Speaker 2: No, I don't have to share everything with you. No, but you showtime.
Speaker 1: But you didn't even give a heads up. That's two weeks away.
Speaker 4: That's not seven. Eight and nine is the first weekend. You seem very concerned about.
Speaker 1: What is the show?
Speaker 4: It's called The Matchmaker. Okay, have you heard of Hello Dolly the musical? This is the play that Hello Dolly was based on. And who do you play Horace vander Gelder? And how long have you been practicing since the beginning of no since uh, since the middle of August?
Speaker 1: Wow, So you play a widower and a half millionaire who owns vander Gelder's hay and feed and Yonkers. Yes he's gruff, authoritative and set in his ways. Yes, he's a tight wad who forbids his niece from marrying her artist bow even though she's of legal age. He believes that employees should not drink or go to church, and that women belong in the home. This is right up your alley.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't go to church.
Speaker 1: That's what it said. Really, or maybe it's maybe this is a I shouldn't drink what they should? It makes more sense, right, I don't even think that ever comes up in the play. He hires match Oh and hello Dolly. He hires matchmaker Dolly Levy to find him a wife.
Speaker 2: No, I still, oh you do. Yeah, she's in it.
Speaker 1: But his but his niece her intended and two of his clerks cause unexpected distractions.
Speaker 2: It's a farce. In four acts?
Speaker 1: Do you use this voice?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do a line? Do you no a ligne?
Speaker 2: I tell you for the hundredth time, you will never marry my niece.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that sounds so real.
Speaker 4: M So you have like the lead, it's not necessarily the lead. Wow, I didn't keep keeping secret. That's a pretty big one.
Speaker 1: I would like to say that I'm like the proponent of your adult theater career, like I am always pushing you for more adult theater.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your confidence in me.
Speaker 1: This was a big secret.
Speaker 2: It's not a big secret.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a big It's not a secret.
Speaker 4: It would be a secret if I said something like, Hey, guess what tonight's closing night.
Speaker 2: If you don't see it, then it's on you.
Speaker 1: How long is that monologue? That's a that's a lengthy it's a lengthy monologue. Yeah, I call people fools a lot. You guys are all fools.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: Why are you looking at the monologue? I'm reading the entire play.
Speaker 2: Oh that's quick.
Speaker 1: We're going to get you all ready for this.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's time for what you watch on Wednesday.
Speaker 2: The following program is brought to you in living color circulation.
Speaker 1: I told you about that one time, the clear television, that time when I was angering John and Ken and my pants split right right on the left cheek there. Well, we all have, you know, just ripped right in the right in the middle of the shift.
Speaker 2: We all have a past.
Speaker 1: We all have a past. Yeah, So I've been watching Love Is Blind, Habibi. Yes, mean it's a area. So these are people from Lebanon, Morocco, Dubai. They're all Arab people. And it is wild to see the difference between Love Is Blind America, Mexico, UK and Habibi because in Habibi they don't drink their they're Arab, they just there's no drinking involved. So those gold cups are filled with like orange juice and water and things. The cultural differences are fascinating. How when they meet they do not kiss, maybe a kiss on the forehead, to kiss on the cheeks, something like that. They do not sleep in the same rooms when they go to the vacation areas. It's all very it's all very sobering to see couples interact like this, completely sober, because usually on these reality shows they're soaked with alcohol and that's why people will act crazy. Well, guess what, people act crazy without alcohol too, as we're finding out. But it's a good show. It's just fascinating to see how other people live in different cultures.
Speaker 4: We're still watching The Old Man on FX Hulu whatever you would call.
Speaker 2: It, and it's getting hard to get through.
Speaker 4: This is the Jeff Bridges, yes, and John Lithgow. Why am I such a brain?
Speaker 2: Fart.
Speaker 1: What's it about?
Speaker 4: Former CIA guy gets kind of pulled back into stuff.
Speaker 2: His daughter is an FBI agent, but is it really his daughter?
Speaker 4: I see a lot of hyphaluon and John lithgout plays like one of the e ups in the FBI. It international thriller because they have to go to Afghanistan for different reasons. Season two is slower than the first one. A lot of exposition and that's not what that was?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 4: It was good for John Lithgow is a great actor, but I don't see him in dramatic roles very often, So to see him in this dramatic role, I feel like I keep waiting for him to deliver a punchline and that doesn't happen on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Though last night on Amazon. This documentary has been out for a couple of years.
Speaker 4: It's called It All Begins with a Song, and it's all about the songwriting process. And they spent a lot of time talking about specifically in Nashville, but they talk with fifty different songwriters of all generations, going way back to guys who wrote songs for Elvis and Waylon Jennings to people like Garth Brooks, Brad Paisley Luke Bryant. Not just country songs, but there is a special attention paid to country songs and why songwriters thrive in a place like Nashville.
Speaker 2: And there is a moment you will ball like a baby?
Speaker 1: What is it called?
Speaker 2: It all begins with a song and it's on Amazon and.
Speaker 4: It's some of it's just kind of like where do you How do you get inspired to write a song? Sometimes I hear a phrase, or I see a sign, or I see a person or something like that. And then how two or three people can get together and collaborate on a song, and how that process is fascinating. I'll watch that, you will, I will. Did you get one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: Cry?
Speaker 1: Did you cry?
Speaker 4: I did not, but my wife did. I knew where I was supposed to cry, right, Okay, that's all I needed to know.
Speaker 2: And it was a good one.
Speaker 4: Like there was a lot of road signs that was like, this is the time to cry.
Speaker 2: It will get you.
Speaker 4: That's fascinating. I promise I stop it. We also started watching a chimp's.
Speaker 2: The what's it called?
Speaker 4: Chimp Crazy, Chip Crazy on HBO Max. I love chimpanzees. I've gone to facilities where they study chimpanzees, and I that also had an emotional moment.
Speaker 1: I forgot about your chimpanzee experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went.
Speaker 4: One of the early Christmas gifts that my then new wife gave me was an afternoon seminar at the Chimpanzee Human Communication Institute in Central Washington University in Bellingham, not Bellingham, somewhere in the center.
Speaker 2: Part of Washington. I don't remember where where it is.
Speaker 4: But and it's a full They teach chimpanzee sign language.
Speaker 2: That's the whole thing.
Speaker 4: That's what they do, and they try to break down these barriers of communication between humans and chimps because no, they are scary, they are terrifying. Full grown adult chimpanzees will tear you apart in a half a second.
Speaker 1: When you saw chimp crazy and you saw the baby chimpanzees, did you feel paternal towards them?
Speaker 2: No? I mean I understand why people think they're cute.
Speaker 1: Did you want to eat them up? I think you say.
Speaker 4: No, But I could see why people would want to, why they would want to have a little guy little just wrestle with them and stupid mouth is open and they're making stupid monkey sounds. Or Chimp, fascinating, stop it take up the uh we ask you what you're watching?
Speaker 5: Hi, Gary Shannon, watch you watch? On Wednesday, a new one came out on Apple TV called Disclaimer with Kate Blanchette and Kevin Kline. It's so so good. They've only dropped two episodes now waiting for Friday to come around again, which is annoying but also kind of fun to have to wait.
Speaker 1: It's about a.
Speaker 5: Very successful documentarian who has something in her life's past come up that she did not want to come up.
Speaker 4: And I haven't seen Kevin Klin much lately, but Kate Blanchek can do whatever she wants.
Speaker 6: Hey, guys, I had started watching Brilliant Minds. I think it's on TBS, but it's really good, very interesting. Just happened to click on it and watch an episode and now I'm trying to watch the whole season as it comes out.
Speaker 2: I've realized this.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we hear from people about what they're watching. This conversation wouldn't have made sense fifteen years ago now, where somebody says they clicked on something on Apple TV and watched all of it, right right?
Speaker 2: You? What did you do?
Speaker 4: Did you go to the video store and rent all the the different tapes.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, I'm watching The Center Seat.
Speaker 2: It's fifty five years of Star Trek. It's on Prime.
Speaker 7: Pretty geeky, Shannon, I don't expect you to understand, but it's a lot of good Hollywood insight, all the behind the scenes stuff, so that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I don't know about fifty five I've years worth. I have a sister who's deeply into Star Trek, really deeply, Kim. Yeah, so I'll have to tell.
Speaker 7: Her that I only got thirty seconds to do this. But hey, guys, I'm watching NCIS origins. It comes on Monday nights and it's circa nineteen ninety one, which is super cool. By the way, I did see The Joker. There's a lot of music in it.
Speaker 1: I really liked it.
Speaker 7: It is a continuation of The Joker.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The problem is people are silly and don't realize that it's inside of his head, that whole music scene, and I think get past that. Maybe they might understand Joker too.
Speaker 1: I like that somebody liked it, though.
Speaker 4: You may you make people think too much and they're gonna they're not gonna.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna want that. I mean, you don't.
Speaker 1: You don't know if you know people that think too much.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon watching a teacup on Peacock. The episodes are dripped so you can't binge it. But so far it's pretty good, thrilling. The first episode was a little slow, the ending was excellent. The second episode started off a little slow and the ending was excellent. Overall, it's pretty good, though pretty interesting, kind of a fantasy horror thing.
Speaker 1: Interesting, strange things are happening on the Chenawith, secluded Georgia farm. Their animals are spooked and restless, and their young sons wandered into the woods and come back confused and somehow changed. Stranger still, a mysterious man and a homemade gas mask has arrived. Yeah, that's different.
Speaker 2: That'll do it.
Speaker 4: I guess the lead in this is Yvonne Strahovski. I see that's how you say it, Ostrohovsky. She's an Australian actress. But she was in Chuck fifteen years ago or so. She was in Dexter, she was in twenty four Live another day. She was in the Handmaid's Tale, or is in the Handmaid's Tale. So she's one of the leads. There was another article to go back to what we were talking about in Chimp Crazy.
Speaker 2: This show on HBO.
Speaker 4: The first episode came out back in August, so there's only a handful.
Speaker 2: Of episodes in there, about an hour apiece.
Speaker 4: The story of Tanya is really the main character, the one that you could see and throughout the trailer they said that her story is a lot sadder and less sensational than Tiger King.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I watched the trailer, it just seems more more a's story about mental illness than chimpanzee craziness.
Speaker 2: Well, there's something and you see it early on.
Speaker 4: I mean in the show, there's something about the relationships between humans and it doesn't even have to be chimpanzees, but because chimpanzees have so many qualities that are very similar to ours, and she points out, you know, chimpanzees share something like ninety four point six percent of our DNA. Is there in fact, Wow, we share more with a chimpanzee then an Indian elephant shares with an Asian elephant.
Speaker 2: Interesting, Yeah, weird how that cave. It's just weird.
Speaker 4: But there's clearly this connection between something that we think of kind of looks like us, and these people imbue these animals with qualities that maybe they don't.
Speaker 1: Actually, let's have DNA. Do we share? Do I share with an elephant? Because when I saw an elephant, a family of elephants in Thailand, I felt something.
Speaker 2: A herd of elephants.
Speaker 1: It was a mama elephant, I think in two children, elephants, children elephants.
Speaker 4: What did you feel exactly? Because I felt a maternal sound kinship. Wait, maternal, that's very different. You felt like you wanted to take care of those baby elephants because they weren't being cared for.
Speaker 1: And I looked into the mother's eyes and I felt like we had the bond, like we were seeing Mono imano.
Speaker 2: Right, there's some Patzico hand and hand.
Speaker 1: So how much DNA do you think I share with a with an elephant, with an elephant from Thailand?
Speaker 2: I don't even what would seven forty fifty like? Just this part.
Speaker 4: I didn't say that. I did not point to that part of you and say that.
Speaker 2: I did. But those genes, Okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, humans shared DNA with elephants.
Speaker 2: Guys, how much.
Speaker 1: While the percentage is not as high as with closer primates like chimpanzees. Studies have shown significant similarities and certain genes between humans and elephants. I'm not getting a percentage here, Okay, we share. We share roughly ninety percent of our DNA with mice, dogs, cattle, and elephants. That's assassinating. Yeah, that's close to ninety eight percent. I would hit on something with that elephant. I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, can't wait for Strange Science tomorrow when we tell us that you found a new sister somewhere in Thailand.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap