Speaker 1: Seen thirty two dot Org.
Speaker 2: KCAA is your CNBC News abiliate where the station that gets down to business.
Speaker 3: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network, Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 3: Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins.
Speaker 4: Guys Guys Radio.
Speaker 5: We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and sites of the guests I bring you each and every week to the show. Once again, this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about kind of the different stages of aging. And I think this is a really good show for guys because our special guest is Kenneth Lacret's PhD. He's written a really wonderful book called Remembering Self Seasons of the Soul Rediscovered through Mystical Experience and depth Psychology. It's really about how to how to really go back and peel the layers away and learn and rediscover who you really are. And I think that's important particularly for us, for us boomer guys out there, because throughout our lives we're kind of told by the cultural narrative, well, you're this age and here's your role, and you're that age and here's your role, and eventually you're too old, get out.
Speaker 6: Of the way. Well, it doesn't have to be that way. And I'm sure you or you have.
Speaker 5: Friends if you are a boomer, no, a lot of different folks who really define themselves via their job and their wallet, if you will, And it gets to a certain point where they get a little bit concerned because they don't want to they don't want to leave that work they've done. And I have friends who are in their seventies and they put on the tie and sport code and they go to work every day and you know, they enjoy it, but also maybe maybe they're wondering what's next after this and they haven't really come to terms with their identity. So we're going to get into that and a lot more. It's really like, you know, what if midlife isn't a crisis, but it's a spiritual awakening, and I think that can happen for anybody at any time. But we're going to get into how to manage the life stages and how to kind of transcend from aging to eldering and really being.
Speaker 6: A beacon of light to help other people.
Speaker 5: So I think you're going to enjoy my conversation with doctor Ken Lacret's right here on Guys.
Speaker 4: Guys Radio. It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, guys, guys Radio. It is the interview portion of our show. And hey, you know, guys, when we talk about growth, we usually focus on achievement, career, relationships, money, status. But what happens when life asks us to go deeper? What happens when the old starts calling louder than the ego?
Speaker 6: Sometimes that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is clinical psychologist, Youngian analyst and author Kenneth R. Lacret's PhD, whose powerful new book Remembering Self Guidance for the Labyrinth of Life and Beyond explores a psychological and spiritual journey through midlife elderhood.
Speaker 6: And we'll get.
Speaker 5: Into that identity, attachment, soul evolution, and what it really means to become whole that's a big task, but we're going to get into it. We're going to talk about mind, body, spirit, young, shadow work, the four seasons of life, and the mysterious Guide at.
Speaker 6: The center of the book. Sheima.
Speaker 5: So, welcome to guys, guys radio Doctor Kenneth Lacretz, PhD.
Speaker 7: How are you, doctor, I'm doing well this morning. Thank you for inviting me on the show.
Speaker 6: Fantastic.
Speaker 5: So why do you think, doctor, so many successful people reach midlife feeling disconnected, restless, or spiritually emptied despite having it all. You know a lot of guys, particularly in the boomer airs, and I would, uh, I would take a chance and say, you're probably just about in the boomer age.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm a boomer and I know so many of my friends.
Speaker 5: Uh uh they you know, their their identity is tethered to their position.
Speaker 6: A lot of them won't retire. They don't need the money.
Speaker 5: They like to put the tie on and get on the train and go to work, and uh they.
Speaker 6: Just won't let it go.
Speaker 5: And I think a lot of it's about power and identity and and money and comfort and fear and all of the rest. But you're the you're this here, the young in psychoanalyst here, so tell us what we need to know.
Speaker 7: Well, you know what I'm going to do is I'm going to begin with a history lesson, okay, because I think that we we can't fully understand where we are without understanding history and what history has brought us to, particularly in the in the modern era, and we're kind of in a post modernest time is it's brought us into a peak differentiation of the ego from the ground of self or from the ground of being. And you could say, if you looked at it pictorially, that the ego is kind of at high noon in terms of its separation from the self. Now, what happens when it reaches high noon is we find ourselves in a period of alienation from the ground of who we are and symptoms start to emerge at that point, which starts to take us into midlife. But what happens is people find themselves so identified with the ego because they think that that's who they are, they think that that's all there is, that they're very resistant to make these kinds of shifts that we think are appropriate second half of life shifts. But why would we make a shift like that if we think this is who we are, and the ground of being is so silent, it is so distant, it's so detached that we in the modern era believe that there's nothing to shift into.
Speaker 6: Amazing.
Speaker 5: So, you know, young who you studied extensively, spoke about individuation, the process of becoming whole. How does your book Remembering Self expand upon or personalize that concept.
Speaker 7: What I try to do in the book is bring it into a story, because I think that a story particularly, and this is about a figure named Shemah who is at the end of his life. He's ninety three years old and he's reviewing his life, and he's able to see from a transcendent lens and also from a very imminent personal lens, and he's able to trace his life back. Now, what we see when we trace our lives back as we see the growth of the ego, which is an unfolding and a differentiating process. It is not about wholeness per se. It's about leaving a ground of unconscious, undifferentiated wholeness. It's about developing an articulated personality that functions in the human matrix of life. You know, that builds attachments to their lives attachments to their identity that becomes a student and a son or a daughter eventually an adult and someone who can function in the adult world hopefully. And that's the whole idea of building a solid vessel of ego, is that we can actually function in a world and build a structure in that world through career and marriage and family that can hold the depth of the task of adulthood. Now through the story, what we find is that there is also there's a phase a mid life, and we go through many transitional phases throughout life, but there's a phase of mid life in which this structure begins to collapse. And when the structure collapses, we begin searching in the kind of the dry soil or some new meaning. But it's very difficult to find at the level of ego, because the true source of meaning is the connection to the ground of being that we have spent our entire first half of life leaving correct And so we get to that point and we go through what the alchemists call it's a solvent phase or a disillusion phase, not disillusion but disillus, which means for things to kind of begin to dissolve and loosen up, and we start to get glimpses at what's underneath and what we move from a what I think of is a descending phase, which is we're descending into the body, into the life, incarnating fully into the human identity. And then what happens is we start shifting into what some believe is an ascension phase. And this ascension phase is emergence of the ground. It's emergence of the self. Now, when the self begins to emerge and wants to begin to have a central role in identity and in life, there has to be an integrative process, and some would call it reintegration. Okay, and this is what young talk a great deal about. An individuation is individuation means to be undivided. But what happens is we spend the first half of our life dividing. Okay, we divide into many dimensions of who we are. And and through this dividing process, we actually become so alienated from self for a lot of reasons, because the identity can't hold everything. And so what we're doing in the second half of life is we're beginning to recollect, not just memory. Recollection, that's part of it, and that's why the remembering title is there, but we start to remember and we start to recollect all of the dimensions and pieces and parts of self that have been split off and abandoned, and we start to move toward an undivided state, Okay, which is what you would many talk about is wholeness, and that's what individuation is. It means to be undivided.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: My special guest on this week's Guys Guys Radio, doctor Kenneth R.
Speaker 6: Lacret's PhD. The book.
Speaker 5: I'm holding it up right here for your YouTube and Rumble viewers, Remembering Self Seasons of the soul rediscovered through mystical experience and depth psychology. So this process and path that you're describing, doctor, is this something that is specific to our Western culture or is this a universal concept?
Speaker 7: You know, it's definitely a universal concept because what we we if you look collectively throughout history and you know, independent of geography, what we saw during the period of eight hundred BC to about five hundred you know AD, is we saw what we call the first axial age. And the first axial Age happened everywhere in the known world at once. It was a very mysterious process. It's when philosophy and religion started to emerge, and this was the first step in the differentiation of the ego and the kind of the birth of the ego from the self where began to start. We began reflecting on ourselves. So there was actually two dimensions. There's the ground of being and there's the reflecting ego, which is an extension of this ground to being. Was born from this ground to being, and it's what some would call an organ of the psyche and so being the first stage. What we've seen throughout Western civilization in particular, is we've seen constant differentiation up until the period of about nineteen hundred, where collectively we were going through the same process of this differentiation that we now go through in the first half of life. Okay, so this was happening everywhere all at once, and so different cultures looked at this differentiation and this separation from unity differently. They had different names for it, they had different processes. But I think that Eyung and the Western you know, movement of psychology, which really began during the nineteen hundreds and the twentieth century, was I think, you know, an attempt to make our way back through through the consulting room, you know, through the clinic, through the ground of who we are. Now. Other religions have done that through Buddhism has done that through meditation. Other religions have had many different ways. Yoga, the Yoga tradition had different their way of making their way back to the ground of being. In the West, we have looked at it from from kind of a psychiatric and psychological point of view, where we see it as a clinical process to make our way back to this unity.
Speaker 5: So it sounds like, you know, since all the cultures go through the same thing, and from my perspective, we're given roles. We're given a narrative by our culture, which basically is, as kind of you described, you're a student at a certain age and then you're the worker and you're learning things, and that creates some type of ego comfort for us. A vessel starts to get filled up. But then it can become too much because we're relying on the narrative to define who we are. There must be a balance there that we can find. So instead of waiting until you're eldering, if you will, to figure all of this out, or having that life changing incident happen that you start to look at things differently. What can people do on their path so they don't fall victim and quotes to the narrative and can be who they want to be yet kind of blend in with the culture.
Speaker 7: That's a beautiful question because when you think about balance, in some ways you have to defer to the psyche and how it provides that balance. You know, we could say, gee, I want that balance. But what happens is during the midlife process and transition. You know, the psyche is trying to restore balance. And what it does is as the self naturally starts emerging or I should say re emerging consciously. Then what happens is if the identity or the ecoidentity is too rigid, it presents itself every effort for the psyche to reconnect again. You know, we're talking about recollection, We're talking about reconnection. It presents itself in modern day as symptoms. So during Freud's era, there are particular types of symptoms that were presented. Today we see other kinds of symptoms. Everybody has anxiety, everybody has depression. You know, everybody's diagnosing themselves. But basically, what these symptoms are is the psyche's attempt to commute indicate to the you know, the egoic identity that there is something, there's a need for reconnection. And so what happens is people are oftentimes overwhelmed by these symptoms. They come in, they know if they're ignored, they present themselves physically after a while. This is what Freud called symptom compromises. In other words, what happened is, rather than coming up in direct awareness, it makes a compromise and it presents maybe as a chronic illness. And so we look at these symptoms, and you know, modern day medicine psychology oftentimes interprets these symptoms very concretely, and they try to address them. They try to ameliorate the symptoms. They try to treat the symptoms rather than understanding I think what Young understood, and I think what many mystics understand, which is this is to sell process of emergence and communication from a deeper layer to the psyche that maybe we don't understand very well. And it is attempting to integrate and to expand into consciousness. And if we don't have methodologies to midwife this expansion and this integration, what happens is it stays very much at the symptomatic level. It doesn't really begin to manifest as conscious change and transformation.
Speaker 5: So how can we help the next generations coming up so they don't have to mirror the same path and the problems along the path of challenges? Is there a way to kind of work around these things? Can we teach the kids today not to fall victim to You know, they need, they need to be part of the culture. But you know, this was saying, like, you watch too much news. If you don't watch the news, you're uninformed. If you watch the news, your missin form. So how do we teach our young people to be able to come up in a way that's different than what we didn't be able to kind of identify who they are and what's important at an earlier stage versus kind of the boomers. Now some of them don't don't even get it now because they're still I mean, listen, some people can still enjoy working their traditional corporate jobs in their seventies.
Speaker 6: They like to do that. That's fine, but it.
Speaker 5: Seems to be more than that. It seems to be a self identifier.
Speaker 7: Well, do you mind if I go deeper? Than the question. Sure is that? Okay, yeah, absolutely, So you know we are we're entering what some would call a second axial age. Okay, the first axial age was twenty five hundred years ago. We're actually entering the second axial age. And what this is is it's an ascension phase. Okay, what we're talking about with emergence, and so it requires a different model, a different way of thinking. And so what I would say about this about this time is it's a little bit like changing uh, you know, Copernicus's view that you know, the Sun revolved around the Earth, you know, and the Galileo took forward, you know, and shifting the heliocentric view. And I think in some ways we have a kind of an egocentric view psychology, you know, psychology has been you know, it's it's starts at the ego and it works down. So it's we we begin there. We we need a view that's more self centric, okay. And so I think this the axial the second axial age, is bringing us into a you know, kind of a new myth you know, which you don't called the myth of individuation, which is a more self involved view. And that our process is is not is to support the ego. It's not just to uh continue to do what we can to you know, to augment our coping with with many you know, toxic conditions that we're in, but to actually begin to use technologies they connect us directly with self and nurture, encourage and midwife this integration. And there's a lot that's going on in that regard. But again it requires a new model, a new kind of psychology, and a new kind of thinking. And so I think we're even going beyond the Jungian thinking. You know, we've we've had excuse me, we we we've seen trans personal psychology emerge, which goes even further beyond young into what some people call the unit unitive dimension. We see integrative or uh psychedelic integrated psychotherapy that's emerging is a very very powerful force in both both healing, awakening and therapy. And within the frame of what some people would call depth psychotherapy, we're also seeing you know, what some would call, you know, quantum approaches, because there are many that believe that the self or the unitary dimension is actually a quantum dimension. It operates on a very different physics than the ego. You know. I mean, from my point of view, the ego and the way we think about it operates much more from the old Newtonian model, which is a deterministic, very linear model as you move into the union model. And this is something that your viewers may find very interesting, is that Jung was actually a contemporary of Einstein and Wolfgang Pauli, and he used to have dinners with Einstein, and this was between two thousand or nineteen hundred and eight and nineteen hundred and twelve, and they would talk a great deal about the theory of relativity and its relationship to what he called synchronicity. And synchronicity from the Jungian view, is really looking at the causal relationship, but he called it a causal not causal, the relationship between consciousness and matter. And this is what the physicists are talking about with quantum entanglement at this point. So you're seeing quantum therapies, you know, the regression hypnotherapies that are connecting people on deep levels with this quantum field. You know, it's very similar to the psychedelic therapies. There's energy, body work, there's a lot of different approaches that are coming into the clinical field that I use very integratively in my practice. I have a village of practitioners that I bring in to assist me, assist me in opening up this quantum field and then helping me to do the integration in a psychotherapeutic process. So it's a different model of thinking.
Speaker 6: That's fantastic.
Speaker 5: Okay, my special guest once again, doctor Kenneth Lackritz the book Remembering Self. So in the book you blend uh spirituality, psychology, mythology, and personal development. Why was important to kind of bridge all those.
Speaker 7: Worlds because all of those worlds are the psyche. You know, I think what we've done is we've artificially separated them into metaphysics. And you know, in physics and psychology and metapsychology and spiritual psychology, they're not separate. They are just different fields of consciousness. And one of the great unions, Eric Neuman, who was protegee of Viewings, looked at the psyche as encompassing three basic fields. And one field is the physical reality field, the other the archetypal field, and the third the unitary reality field. Now what happens is, you know, as we go back to what I was discussing earlier. In the first half of life is all of these fields become separated, they become differentiated, and we become actually alienated from the archetypal and the unitary reality field. But they're all part of the of the psyche. There's nothing that isn't self. There's nothing that isn't psyche. But we think we are in the physical reality field and we think that's us and we think that's the endpoint. Okay, So this book brings into a unified model and a unified way of thinking all of the fields in a way that hopefully talks about that has just differentiated parts of the oneness, the unity, And so I felt it was extremely important to show how during the lifespan this unfolds, and then in the second half of life, how it starts to come back together again. You see, we dlink or we never d link. Let me correct it. We're always linked, we're just unconsciously linked. And then the second half of life we have an opportunity to consciously relink. And this is an incredibly important part of the unfolding. During the seasons of life and the lifespan, these are the opportunities in windows that open up.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: In the book, you talk about four stages of life and the importance of versus eldering versus aging, And I think that's very relevant for a lot of our boomer audience out there, and a lot of people like myself or yourself, or like my friends who are some of them are still working, some of them aren't, and I think they're all wrestling with Is that all there is? Talk to us about how the book addresses this this target group, if you will, and how they can navigate some of these challenges. In Layman's terms, what can these what can the boomers today?
Speaker 7: Okay, so now we get into Layman's terms. Yeah, so you know, an elder is someone that is connected with who they are, Okay, who knows the ground of who they are, who has remembered and relinked, and they can become a lighthouse to others who are searching for this path, and they can also become initiators and midwives. And so the eldering role is an incredibly important role to welcome others who are seeking transformation into deeper and more integrated ways of being. Does that make sense? Yes, absolutely, And it's different than an older and older is someone who is still identified with their pre midlife identity, and they are they're the ones that maybe never retire, that never want to give up. It's like the myth of Sissyphus where he refuses to die and so he puts death in jail and then ends up rolling the rock up and down the hill for all eternity, which is basically a way of saying, I refuse to give up my ego identity.
Speaker 5: Now, what happens to is some of these folks, I mean a lot of them. Maybe they you know, they they they're happy because they like what they're doing. And it just seems to me a little bit dysfunctional because these are narratives that we've been given at a certain point, you don't have to do that anymore.
Speaker 6: That they choose to go and do.
Speaker 5: It again and again and again, and then at a certain point, I've got to think they're going to wake up and say, oh, there's all this other stuff. I remember when I was in my thirties, I was living in New York City and I actually had to beat between jobs and I had worked. I'd never not worked since I was like seven years old. I had a paper out or nine years old paper out, and I was outside one day. I was walking along the west side and I couldn't believe how many people are outside. I'm like, how could these people not all be in offices. I've been in an office for like ten fifteen years straight now, and I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 6: Yet there's a whole other world out there.
Speaker 5: How does that relate to this challenge that I think a lot of boomers have where some of them don't want to let go because of ego, and some of them don't want to let go because of fear and money issues or whatever, because they keep spending and they have the more and more expensive toys.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: I have two different friends. One guy he loves to go to work, loves to put the.
Speaker 6: Tie on, feels really good.
Speaker 5: The other one likes to spend money, he likes his stuff, and he keeps working too. And I'm like, I watch them with love because I want the best outcome for both of them. But I'm sure that's a microcosm so many other people out there. And then I have a lot of other folks that I know that have kind of their semi retired or retired whatever, and they seemed a little more at peace with themselves.
Speaker 7: Well, you, you and I are old enough to see to have noticed how much longer people are living. Yeah, you know, you look back. Even forty years ago, people were old in their sixties. You know, it's sixty now, you and I you're in your seventies. I'm sixty eight. We don't think of it as old. Okay. So at the beginning of the twentieth century, the average lifespan was like forty So what happened is, you know, the model for life was a forty year life. You know, all the Hindu stages or students, householder, forest, elder, that was all done in thirty or forty years. Now what's happening is it's spread out over eighty or ninety years. But there's no model for the second half of life, especially in the Western culture. There's you know, where do you find models for transitioning into elderhood. Maybe in India there is, you know, there are other places where people perhaps live longer and have these models, but we don't.
Speaker 5: Right, and the society and the culture doesn't support it either.
Speaker 7: The culture doesn't support it.
Speaker 5: Don't want like get out of the way. They're not saying be a lighthouse. They're like to train your replacement and then here here's a package.
Speaker 7: Please, Well, you're saying, get out of the way and get a facelift, right, you know, find a way to to look like you're still in the game. But the thing is, in the second half of life, there's another game and most people don't know about it, and it's society at large does not value it. And so I think people find themselves. Why would they want to move into a stage of life where people are visible, you know, where they feel devalued and they feel like there's no meaning and nothing to do. You know, there's there's of importance in contribution.
Speaker 5: Now you work with a lot of boomers. I think I recall that from one of our conversations in general terms, directionally speaking, what are what do they come to you with? Is it what type of issues do they have? If obviously everybody's different, but there's some universals there that you know, the boomers are going to come to you with.
Speaker 6: What do you notice, Well.
Speaker 7: You know it depends on the boomer, okay, but but I think that you know, as themes, what I see at midlife are people feeling like the things that used to have meaning no longer have meaning. The things that used to have juice no longer have juice. Am I depressed? You know, I'm anxious, I'm feeling a loss of motivation, you know what's going on? And so and I think that so many people think of it as depression, and they don't realize that they're in a normal process of development and all of their symptoms are actually a sign of this transition and what I consider to be a potential for transformation. But what happens is what people from a psychiatric point of view, people are oftentimes, you know, this is when they start going on any depressants, people start drinking more, you know, they start masking what I call the emergence more, and they're in a liminal space, which means they're in a transitional space from one state of being to another state of being. That can take as long as ten years from many people, And so it can be a period of suffering where your sense of reality and your sense of meaning in life is completely shattering and breaking down, but you have no understanding, first of all, of the process and second of all where it's taking you. And so as a therapist, if I am not further on the other side of that and understand what the process is and where it's taking us. Then I'm of no use to that person, and I'm more likely to buy into the cultural and medical model that you're depressed. Let's give you some therapies for depression, let's support your ego, let's pull you out of it, Let's get you in this and that and the other thing, without really attending to what is happening at the sole level. And so it's very important to begin to articulate that to this group so that they understand the nature and meaning of what we think of as symptoms.
Speaker 5: Now, you also mentioned shadow work, and that's something that I don't think everybody understands really what shadow work is and why for it, and particularly for and people entering the eldering stages.
Speaker 7: So what is shadow You know, shadow is anything that is not acceptable to the consciousness of the psyche or to or alignes with our sense of who we are. So naturally, what happens is anything that's not culturally aligned, personally aligned. It gets pushed against, either suppressed or repressed into the unconscious. And so what happens again, you know, the soul wants to be whole, and so naturally the shadow material emerges at midlife and it kind of smacks us right in the face, you know. We find ourselves very much in the in the mud, in the swamp of all of the issues that have been segregated off, dissociated, abandoned, rejected, and the shadow wants consciousness. It won't wants acceptance, it wants reintegration. And so when we talk about shadow work, what we're talking about is finding a relationship with all of the dimensions of ourselves. Again going back to that model of the unitary psyche, all the dimensions of ourselves that want to be known, they want to be conscious, they want to be reintegrated, and they want to be received with love, you know. And so if we are not in a deep relationship with self, which is also a deep relationship with love, which is the foundation of who we are, it's very difficult to receive all of these abandoned elements of ourselves. So that's part of what we want to encourage in shadow work, and what is shadowed to one person may be something fully acceptable to another person. To do this work, we have to find a way to be accepting and compassionate with all aspects of our being.
Speaker 5: You also in the book Doctor talk about the difference and the importance of building conscious partnerships versus romantic relationships. I do a lot of shows and they're all about people over fifty dating and looking for relationships. And there it's like, I can't believe, like people still don't know how to date, but they they struggle with it, and you know, we try to do everything we can on the shows.
Speaker 6: I guessed on to help them.
Speaker 5: And you would think, wow, wow, you know, because people make they attract the same type of partners who were wrong for them over and over again, and they, you know, they're looking for the romance. And at a certain point, maybe it's not about romance. Maybe it's about compatibility in a lot of different areas. So how do you discuss that in your book, Doctor.
Speaker 7: We are in the first half of life driven. You know, our pattern are generally generated by early conditioning, and early conditioning is familial, and we are replicating the patterns that we grew up with, replicating the patterns of our parents, and so we're basically in an unconscious relationship with our relationships, and so awakening to who we are allows us to begin to mediate, and it allows us to actually choose ways of being that are not dictated by default by our conditioning. And so again going back to the notion of individuation, which is becoming a whole. You know, oftentimes what we do is we're looking for someone who completes us, so we may be half of a whole, all right. And in early relationships, what happens is we go through an individuation process where we start becoming a whole together. But many people don't aren't able to do that in their marriage, in their relationships, and so they find sometimes post divorce that they are doing their own personal individuation work and they're coming back and they want to be two holes in relationship rather than two halves becoming a whole. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And so and these are conscious and awake relationships where people are actually buildings dynamics together consciously, they're choosing how they want to relate with each other rather than by default relating in terms of unconscious condition patterns. Does that make sense?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, correct me if they're wrong.
Speaker 5: I always say that each partner has to have their own life, and then you have a separate thing when you bring the two together and that's.
Speaker 7: Exactly that's really great.
Speaker 5: But depend on one person to define yourself is a mistake. And you know the title of your book says it all remembering self, and it's to me everything I've learned about spirituality from all the thought leaders I've spoken to over the years, including yourself, which I think you've done a masterful job with. It is about rediscovering who we are, not looking externally for an answer, and that sometime is the biggest challenge that people have because they want to look out there and they don't want to look within, and they don't want to rediscover who they are.
Speaker 6: They don't realize that they are they are the answer.
Speaker 7: You know what. What's so what's so important about what you're saying is that you know, when we're born, we would not survive without the love from the other. So we we through most through the first half of our life, we see the other as the source of this love. And that's that's the fundamental mistake that we make because we started to realize over time that the other does not hold the key. The other may open up a door to ourselves, but they actually don't hold the key. And as long as we're still relying on what I call these horizontal ways of connecting. Then what we're doing is we're making the fundamental mistake of holding the other person as responsible for our needs rather than us vertically. And this is the vertical relationship, realizing that all the resources live within us. But until we remember all these pieces, we don't have the connections necessary to be whole, and so we still keep relying on the other for that oxygen supply of love.
Speaker 5: Amazing, And I've got to think that practices like meditation, and it could be you know, you sit to TM, or you go for a walk, or you go for a swim, those are all forms of meditation. But trying to find the quiet times where you can give yourself the opportunity to go inside must be incredibly important because we live in a very noisy world and people who were around a couple hundred years ago they didn't have to deal with the noise that we have to deal with.
Speaker 7: I think that that's absolutely true. You're creating spaces for ourselves to even listen into the subtlety, because the self is very subtle, and if we are not quiet, we can't hear it, we can't listen into it, we can't feel it. And I think meditation is one of the best ways of not only creating a quiet space, but quieting the mind enough to be able to perceive and experience the subtlety of being. And so I can't think of a better doorway into this process than meditation.
Speaker 5: Okay, we're getting towards the end of the show, and you've done such a wonderful job with this book, Elder and Guidance. What are some of the maybe three tips that our audience can start to implement right away to get themselves in a position to be able to make the best of the remaining time that they have and making those golden years the best years of their lives, which can very well could be. You know, you think about it. If you retire, let's say, quote unquote at sixty and you're healthy, you're blessed to be healthy. You could live another thirty years no problem, and you're free hopefully if you've done some good moves financially and you're in that type of space that those could be the most freeing, best years of your life.
Speaker 7: You know, I think number one, we need to know that we have a self. Okay, and I think a lot of people don't know that there is a self, you know, beneath all of the layers of persona, an ego identity. We have to know that we have to work toward relinking, and there are many ways to do that. There again, there's psychotherapy, and I think that during midlife, if we are not in some kind of a transformational process, it's a very difficult thing to do. That's our kind of modern day mechanism for doing that. Meditation, retreats, psychedelic assistant psychotherapy. There's just there's a number of different different approaches to this and understanding that we're in a universal process that underfolds in a relatively predictable way, and I think most people don't realize that we're in that process. So we have to awaken to the fact. And that's what the labyrinth is about. There. It shows that we're we're as we go through the seasons, we're in a universal process, and as we begin to awaken to that, we start to understand that there are different phases that we go through that have particular tasks that begin to open up. And again, if the culture doesn't have support for those tasks, then we need to sometimes look outside of the car culture or to look and I think that's why people come to unions and transpersonal psychologists and to reiki practitioners and et cetera, is to look for for other models that support these these deepening dimensions. And I think particularly in the Yogic realm, they you know, they have models who are looking at what what the eldering is about, and they refer to elders as sanyasis and so there is actually a Sanyasi phase in the Hindu culture.
Speaker 5: All right, great conversation again, rememberingself, Kenneth R. Lacret's PhD. Where can people find your book and learn more about you quickly?
Speaker 7: You can find my book on Amazon and Barnes and Noble, and you can find it on my website at doctor Kenneth R. Lacret's Phdcast.
Speaker 5: Great job, Thank you for being on Guys Guys Radio. A lot of the best of luck with the book and the work you're doing, which is so important.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 7: You're quite welcome, and it's it's always it's a pleasure to see you.
Speaker 6: Hope to see you again.
Speaker 7: I hope to see you again too.
Speaker 4: It's guys guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, what a fascinating conversation with doctor Lackritz doctor Ken about really aging, and we talked about so many different subjects today, but it's all about how we can kind of really figure out who we are before it's too late. And there's some of the practices about individuation and shadow work and meditation and all the things that help us get to a point where instead of just getting old, we've become eldering, and we've become beacons of information and teaching and education for the next generation is coming along. But we're not just tossed aside. As you know, our culture kind of has a narrative where they assign us roles at certain ages, and pretty much at a certain point they say, okay, time for you to move over. But with people living longer and longer lives, it doesn't the model doesn't work. The framework has to change. Putting that aside, it's all about going inside and really rediscovering who you are. And you can't let the external tell you who you are. You've got to go inside to figure out who you are. So with doctor Ken, we talked about YOUNGI in psychology, we talked about individuation, shadow work, eldering, how to trans form really from romantic relationships into more conscious partnering. We talked about ego, how ego can be our friend and our foe, and so much more. Just a lot of stuff at different stages of life, and a lot of it is guidance as to how we can begin the process of going inside to really fully realize who we've always been. And that's what doctor Ken's work in his book is all about. So I did my best to kind of bring this thing to a framework where everybody could understand and relate to some of these concepts, because when you get into YOUNGI in psychology, there's a there's a lot to chew on. So I hope you enjoyed our conversation. I think doctor Kent's terrific. He's doing great work, So check out his book Remembering Self. Ken Lacretz, thank you for listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode.
Speaker 8: And until then, like I always say, Guys Guys finish first.
Speaker 1: NBC News on CACAA Lomelad sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, Protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot.
Speaker 4: Org NBC News Radio. I'm Scott Carr.
Speaker 9: The US has launched a second wave of strikes against Iran today, US Central Command Post on x The strike targeted at Iran's military capabilities used to threaten vessels really traveling through the straight offoor MOUs. This after the President made a statement that he's not looking to negotiate with the Iranians right now. The Homeland Security Committee in the US House is asking for a briefing with ICE next week. Congressman from New York Andrew Garbarino tears the committee. He tells The Hill his panels already reached out to ICE for details on the status of its implementation of body camera requirements for officers. This after two ICE officers fatally shot and killed two men over the past week. One of those deadly ICE shootings happened in Houston. Now, Governor of Texas Greg Abbott's ordering an independent investigation into the shooting there.
Speaker 10: The Texas Rangers are now going to be involved in an investigation of this matter, working alongside federal officials to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.
Speaker 9: An ICE agent shot and killed Lorenzo Salgado Araujo as he drove his construction crew to a job site. Abbott says there is an expectation that the nation's immigration laws will be enforced, though he says it can be done without gunfire, pointing to the state's own border security operations.
Speaker 7: They work independently.
Speaker 10: They're well known, not just in SA Texas but elsewhere.
Speaker 9: The first day of Todd Blanche's Senate confirmation hearing to become the next US Attorney General has wrapped up. He's President Trump's former personal lawyer, and he faced some tough questions from senators today on issues related to the so called Anti Weaponization Fund and the files connected to the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Defending World Cup champs Argentina is headed to their second straight World Cup Final, scoring two late goals to beat England two to one in the semi final today in Atlanta. They'll face off with Spain and Sunday's final in New Jersey.
Speaker 4: Scott Carr, NBC News Radio.
Speaker 11: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 12: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be, Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on Caseyaa every Wednesday at eight pm. Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guys Guy Radio, Better Men, Better World.
Speaker 9: One person is dead three are still missing after a fifty foot cabin cruiser capsized in the San Francisco Bay Tuesday afternoon. Rescue officials say the boat started taking on water while in rough seas between Alcatraz Island and the Golden Gate Bridge. Officials say there's sixteen survivors. Most on board knew each other or were relatives. Three are hospitalized in stable condition. Taco bells reportedly being investigated as a possible source of a growing outbreak of cyclosporiasis.
Speaker 4: Here's Daniel Martindale.
Speaker 13: A report initially in The Washington Post says the outbreak may be tied with lettuce and other items in Taco Bell food. In recent days, signs appeared at Detroit area Taco Bell restaurants notifying customers that the locations could not serve lettuce, cilantro onions, picodgaio, or guacamal because of a national recall. There are now nearly seven thousand cases of the stomach bug across thirty four states. The investigation reportedly involves both federal and state health officials. The FDA has not announced a recall involving Taco Bell.
Speaker 9: Economists and experts and artificial intelligence have issued a warning that governments and businesses better get prepared now for the rapid rise of AI.
Speaker 14: Researchers from Stanford University's Digital Economy Lab have released in open letters signed by more than two hundred economists and AI experts, including sixteen Nobel Prize winners. The group says artificial intelligence could become dramatically more powerful over the next decade. The researchers are urging policymakers and industry leaders to establish some safeguards and policies that ensure AI works alongside people and benefits society as a whole.
Speaker 9: I'm Monka Nelson, New Orleans has one of the nation's largest chairs of parkland, but the health of those living there is apparently trailing far behind other US cities. This week, the American College of Sports Medicine ranked the Big Easy number fifty seven among the country's one hundred biggest cities. Its community and environment did well, coming in twenty sixth, but residents' personal health was ranked seventy nine. Scott Carr, NBC News Radio.
Speaker 2: Ten fifty AM. Don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band select there. We're an AM radio station, and AM refers to more than just the time of day.
Speaker 15: It's a bird, it's a pan. No, it's super raw. Okay, A gimmicky opening for a commercial about super Roth universal life insurance, but I'm sure it got your attention. Now, what is a super wroth, you ask. It's a permanent indexed universal life insurance that's totally liquid and easily accessible once it matures. Can be used to supplement retirement savings or a death benefit, or both. Has no income or contribution limit has no five year rule like raw iras, has no ten percent penalty for accessing the funds before age fifty nine and a half. Oh and the average historical returns are five to seven percent annually. Tax free. Super roths also lock in gains, which means you don't lose your money when the market is down. It sounds incredible, right, sounds super super Roths are the way of the future, specifically your future. To see if you qualify for a super go online to the super Roth dot comps.
Speaker 2: Hey you yeah, you do? You know where you are? Well, you've done it. Now you're listening to casey Aa Loma Linda, your CNBC news station, so expect the unexpected.
Speaker 16: This segment sponsored by our friends at the All News. Sammy's Restaurant. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa at Exit eighty eight off the ten Freeway, next to the Jack in the Box in the former Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. Not to name drop, but Sammy's in the former Bob's is a lot like Norms. It has an extensive menu with multiple restaurants in rialto in places like Upland and Ranchu Kumonga Sammy's is a great place to dine. Their menu is very similar with their American trio of delicious steak, shrimp, and chicken and an expansive menu. You won't go hungry and you won't go broke. At Sammy's. You can come meet Sammy and his family. Sammy was a chief cook for Norms for years and it shows in his menu. Sammy's is a great place to meet the family, friends, or have a community meeting. You can ask about their private meeting room available for parties of fifteen or more on a first come for serve basis. Sammy's is now open from six am to nine pm every day at five point forty Sandal would drive off of XIT eighty eight at the ten Freeway in Kalamesa. Look for the Big Boy statue. It's still there. We thank Sammy for returning to this station as a loyal sponsor. You can find more info about Sammy's at Sammy'scafe dot Net. At Sammy'scafe dot net well, you can also find discount coupons to save money. And by the way, Sammy's has free Wi Fi too. Sammy's and Kalamesa raylto but one of their other locations are ready to serve you. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa.
Speaker 7: E Digits.
Speaker 2: Lock them in for more information, recreation and guaranteed fun CACAA ten fifty a m.
Speaker 11: The Tahbot Club is the only FDA registered manufacturer of original pure powdy rco to ebot in the United States. The t is great for healthy people because it helps regenerate new cells, and it can truly be miraculous for someone finding a potentially life threatening disease due to an infection, diabetes, or cancer just fifty nine ninety five with free shipping. Call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight, or visit to Hebot Club dot com. Tahibo is spelled ta h ee b like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club, so the complete website is Tahebot Club dot com or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight.
Speaker 1: NBC News on kcaa Lomelan sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, protecting the future of working families. Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot.
Speaker 4: Org, NBC News Radio. I'm Scott Carr.
Speaker 9: The US has launched a second wave of strikes against Iranza day US Central Command posts on x The strike targeted at Iran's military capabilities used to threaten vessels freely traveling through the straight offoor moves. This after the President made a statement that he's not looking to negotiate with the Iranians right now. The Homeland Security Committee in the US House is asking for a briefing with ICE next week. Congressman from New York Andrew Garbarino tears the committee. He tells the Hill his panels already reached out to ICE for details on the status of its implementation of body camera requirements for officers. This after two ICE officers fatally shot and killed two men over the pastlast week. One of those deadly ICE shootings happened in Houston. Now, Governor of Texas Greg Abbott's ordering an independent investigation into the shooting there.
Speaker 10: The Texas Rangers are now going to be involved in an investigation of this matter, working alongside federal officials to get to the bottom of exactly what happened.
Speaker 9: An ICE agent shot and killed Lorenzo Salgado Araujo as he drove his construction crew to a job site. Abbott says there is an expectation that the nation's immigration laws will be enforced, though he says it can be done without gunfire, pointing to the state's own border security operations.
Speaker 7: They work independently.
Speaker 10: They're well known, not just in Stay Texas, but elsewhere.
Speaker 9: The first day of Todd Blanche's Senate confirmation hearing to become the next US Attorney General has wrapped up. He's President Trump's former personal lawyer, and he faced some tough questions from senators today on issues related to the so called Anti Weaponization Fund and the files connected to the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Defending World Cup champs Argentina is headed to their second straight World Cup Final, scoring two late goals to beat England two to one in the semi final today in Atlanta. They'll face off with Spain and Sunday's final in New Jersey.
Speaker 4: Scott Carr, NBC News Radio.
Speaker 11: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 2: Ten fifty AM. Don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band select there. We're an AM radio station, and a M refers to more than just the time of day.