Speaker 1: Don't be bad. It's the Internet. You're busy.
Speaker 2: Let's do this for February twenty six, twenty twenty five. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with me Jeff grub Today, what is next for Warner Brothers after its closure of a storied game studio, and should we expect more Silent Hill remakes? But first, please join me and welcoming today's co host to Game Mess Mornings. It's Jason Finelli. Everybody, Jason, how are you doing.
Speaker 3: I am doing pretty good. My voice is finally back from the beginning of the month. I just want to point at this hat real quick, get it out of my system.
Speaker 1: Dy.
Speaker 3: Things are good. Things are things are working.
Speaker 2: We've moved on the NFL. Combiness is getting ready. We don't have to talk about your team anymore.
Speaker 3: Yes, we do. They want to ban my tush push.
Speaker 1: They that would be bad. That's such a good football play.
Speaker 3: It is such a good football play. And it is a football play.
Speaker 1: You know who it is?
Speaker 3: This we can we can kind of come together on.
Speaker 1: Oh it's the Packers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Packers are the ones that are winding and they get they whind so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're they want to they want to say stuff like were the nfcs like New England Patriots or whatever, And it's like the New England Patriots, for as bad as they were, actually didn't wind as much as you do. So no, you are the NFC's Green Bay Packers, a bunch of whitey sacks of poo poo poo. Yeah, hey, Jason, I am I have been continue to be very happy for you and your Eagles. That team by the end was looking like a super Bowl team, and boy they played like it in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: So that's gotta gotta be real nice.
Speaker 3: And I read an article from a local blog here that I think summed it up perfectly in twenty eighteen, when Nick Foles led us to the title against the Patriots. That was for the longtime fans. That was the one for the people who have been suffering with the fan base their entire life. This one was for the children. This one was Yeah, this one was the one where I got to drive down my my main thoroughfare in my suburban neighborhood with the windows down blasting Bluey's Dance Mode, because that's what the kids picked. Of course I five and people out of the window. It was for them and now it's there. They just they talk about it a lot. That was how how much fun it was and how they they hope they win the Super Bowl every year. And I said, yo, pump the brakes kid, You'll learn real quick about works. But but yeah, it was, it was. It was real neat. I'm very uh, still kind of wrapping my head around the fact that it happened, even though my bank account for NFL shop dot com says.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's definitely, definitely, yes, absolutely you were. You were in Chicago recently did that magic the gathering thing?
Speaker 3: Uh, ch Chicago's cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all weird.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, I'd only been there one time before fourteen. I went for to visit family who was working out there. I love that city, man, I was there. It was me Joe Bradford, editor in chief of MMORPG fantastic Dude, and mister John Carson Nasty Boy with them. Yes, that's that's one of the boys. Yeah, we were. We were playing games and uh and checking out some some some new cards that the Final Fantasy set definitely has people going nuts. Got a great interview regarding that coming out soon on game Spot. Just waiting for a couple of things to happen. I spoke to lead game designer and then one of the vps for the collaboration effort that they have there, Very very good stuff there. But yeah, I played some played some magic, had some fun. Just got it. Was it overnight, got there Saturday morning, and flew back Sunday night. Uh. I love those things if you're if you're ever tangentially interested. Uh, Magic cons They they're doing a good job, and they're getting better. I feel like they're they're they're starting to get their feet under them. As far as organization is concerned, especially from a media perspective, I thought this one, uh compared to Vegas and Vegas was pretty well organized, was even more.
Speaker 1: So excellent, fantastic. Yeah, I got a.
Speaker 2: Quick trip I'm gonna do this week, and I'm jaunting down to Columbus to go see the outdoor Red Wings game. I like those like I'm just gonna go, I'm just gonna go do something real quick in another city and then come back basically the same day or the next day.
Speaker 1: I like those kinds of trips. It's fine.
Speaker 2: I'm like I got to do something fun and then I'm back home where my stuff is.
Speaker 3: That's right. Yeah, Like once in a while there'll be something in New York. I can just drive it for the day two hours. Yeah, sure, the thing and then come back. It's awesome. What I prefer them to do do these things in Philly, Yes, but I'll take it.
Speaker 2: I'll take absolutely all right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I, Jeff Grubb, will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. You know, I'm gonna stop here and all some point out. Hey, if you're watching live and you're like, wait, what is going on? We are doing this at a different time. Things are changing a little bit. But it's just like, so we could do more stuff kind of back to back here on Giant Bomb with the help of game Spot.
Speaker 1: There's some folks over there. We're gonna kind of collaborate a little bit more.
Speaker 2: You like, share our resources. There's more to come on all of that.
Speaker 3: This show.
Speaker 2: We'll be getting a name change soon. It'll be like new art, new music, all that stuff. But yeah, it's still gonna be this show, still gonna work this way, I will say, if I seem more engaged, it's because I'm not running the show chands running the show.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I don't know what to do with my hands, so I'm just gonna keep them up the whole time like this.
Speaker 1: But let's continue with the intro.
Speaker 2: For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome, You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 2: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Warner Brothers cancels Wonder Woman game and shuts down Shadow of Mordor Studio.
Speaker 1: Jason. We talked about this on the BombCast.
Speaker 2: Yesterday a little bit, but there's there's a little bit more info here. We might as well go over what happened. This is, like I said, than goatcha. Kotaku Monolith Productions revealed it was making a Wonder Woman game back In twenty twenty one, now publisher Warner Brothers Games has announced that the project has been canned and the studio best known for Middle Earth Shadow of War is being shut down as well as part of larger cuts. The shakeup comes after twenty twenty fourth Suicide Squad bombed and platform fighter multiverses failed to make a comeback. The news, first reported by Bloomberg, was confirmed by Warner Brothers Games in a statement provided to Kataku over email.
Speaker 1: We've had to.
Speaker 2: Make some very difficult decisions to structure our development studios, says the statement, and investments around building the best games possible with our key franchises. That includes Harry Potter, Mortal Kombat DC, and Game of Thrones. After careful consideration, Player First Games and Warner Brothers Games San Diego.
Speaker 1: Which was a new studio Newish. This is a.
Speaker 2: Strategic change in direction and not a reflection of these teams or the talent that consists within them.
Speaker 1: But parentheses still go to hell all the people that.
Speaker 2: Work there, all right, Yeah, So let's kind of do the initial like feed or reaction here of Warner Brothers closing these studios. I got to say, Jason, the writing had been on the wall four years now for this stuff because Warner Brothers shopped these studios around multiple times to sell them off to external parties, and they were never able to make that happen. And it's like, well, they clearly don't want to own these studios, but no one wants to buy them without getting the IP, which continues to be that was with a hang up for all those deals, was, Hey, that you want to sell me a studio that's working on Batman stuff and all this other stuff.
Speaker 1: Can we have Batman too?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: No, of course not.
Speaker 2: So when they weren't able to sell them, it's like, okay, so as soon as they kind of find a moment where they're at their lowest, they're probably just going to shut these things down. And here we are. And the fact that we were able to see this coming for years and they weren't able to manage themselves.
Speaker 1: Out of it speaks to the deep.
Speaker 2: Mismanagement in this company and in this industry at large, and at boy. It just continues to suck that it can happen to a studio like Monowith Productions, a company that's had so many interesting and awesome games over thirty years and you know, David Zaslov and then the people below him that were running w B Games who reportedly did a very poor job according to everyone who's ever talked about it.
Speaker 1: It stinks.
Speaker 3: It stinks. Yeah, there's really no other way. I mean, that's call up Jay Sherman from the nineties, the critic show it. It stinks. I don't mean I'm trying to add some levity for sure, in all honesty, I don't know. With the new gamespotch im bomb thing with the profanity.
Speaker 2: Rule is well, we're going to try not to say the F word as much, but I will continue to fail.
Speaker 3: Okay, screw David zazz Lab there you go, and screw hadad V underneath him. The only thing you need to see that really explains the impact of this is to find people who worked there on social media. Blue Sky specifically is where I was seeing them and just seeing how as stated they were that the world is not going to see this Wonder Woman game. Multiple people saying we were working on something special, this was going to be great. We were so excited to show it to you. And because this idiot and his little cronies underneath him don't know a video game from their ass from a hole in the ground. Now here we are with dozens of people, probably hundreds of people out of a job. It's funny. Last time I was on this show, we talked about the mismanagement of multiverses, right, because that it was right when they announced that they were going to be shutting that down in May. So that is now probably a pretty good test case as to the whole of WB games. Honestly, at this rate, the only thing I would be confident with them doing is licensing their IP. I have no confidence in internal Warler Brothers games anymore, and I hope that somebody can come in and purchase some of these other studios with the IP and get them out of there. Nether Realm is first in my head because I'm a fighting game guy.
Speaker 2: Nether Realm will would be able to like be the one that could pull that off, right, because you can see Warner Brothers being like, well, okay, video game first franchise, we will sell that IP along with Nether Realm. And whether that's Nether Realm by buying themselves out or getting sold to another corporation, that seems possible, although it also feels like.
Speaker 1: If that could have happened. It probably would have happened.
Speaker 3: But would have happened already. But it doesn't. It doesn't know. It doesn't help that their last two games are compared to like Mortal Kombat X and twenty fifteen is when it should have happened right after that. It's sort of like Mortal komb At eleven was fine.
Speaker 1: It made a lot of money, and Mortal Kombat eleven made a ton of money.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, sure, if I'm from a quality perspective, sure right now, but.
Speaker 2: That the next game, Mortal Kombat one, paid for that quality, Like that's the one that was like also a kind of mid in the opinion of a lot of fighting game fans, and then also didn't make the money that Mortal Kombat eleven.
Speaker 3: And they're already saying that it's done after this next DLC. I think T one thousand, Robert Patrick is it? If that's the case, now, I'm on another realm watched to make sure that they're okay, because what are they working on? We don't know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, so we got that story. I think this We also talked about this during the BombCast. I think if not, it was a game of mornings earlier this week that the the DCU people, James Gunn and Peter Saffron that were like, hey, we had good conversations with rock Steady and Nether Realm.
Speaker 1: And then immediately right right immediately right after that.
Speaker 2: Is when they announced and then also, don't worry or worry these other studios are getting shut down.
Speaker 1: So it's like, okay, you could see.
Speaker 2: That right and in this moment they're like, well, we're gonna give rock Steady another chance. We're gonna give another Realm, you know, not another chance for you know, those games.
Speaker 1: They didn't perform as well and they weren't as good, but.
Speaker 2: The Nether Realm's stole. The Nether Rooms not at risk of closing down in this moment. But you get the sense of like they could be working their way toward that if they if the line keeps going down. But in the meantime, seems like they might be working on some dc stuff, an Injustice success or something that might be like those games, but maybe ties in a little bit more to the current slate of films, because that seems something that they keep saying that they're interested in. We'll see if they're able to pull that off. That's a high degree of difficulty getting movies and games to work together.
Speaker 3: These days, right, Yes, I would say it's nigh impossible most of the time. The license games that are the best are the ones that are standalone. Indiana Jones comes to mind. I don't know. I mean, I would hate to see if they were to go back to Mortal Kombat it be related to the movies. I kind of like that they're their own thing, definitely. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 3: And then if well, here's the thing though, if James Gunn can get nether realm involved on the ground floor of what he's trying to build, and then they build a video game sort of tangentially based on that, maybe its own story where he has input or or something like that that I might be able to get behind.
Speaker 1: I agree, that sounds good.
Speaker 3: Sounds okay with me. Whether it's Injustice or whether it's called something else. That it's just a fighting game with DC characters, what have you. But nothing I could dream up in my head removes the dread of the Zaslav effect. Yeah, the Hadad effect, and that will always be there for as long as these companies work for Warner Brothers Games, And it's a Monolith Man. People talk about the legacy of Monoliths, and they are not wrong. Thirty years and a full portfolio of classic fan loved games. Unfortunately, with these two dipshits, it never mattered. There. These are the guys who are still calling video games Nintendo oh yes.
Speaker 2: Saying oh yeah, I mean they don't even understand movies their primary business. Well, of course, there's no chance that they're going to understand no gaming. And you know the evidence, the proof of that is in the putting of the things that they say, their actions.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: This is the company that made Harry Potter Hogwarts Legacy, and Hogwarts Legacy did very well, continues to be one of the best selling games every month, at least in the United States, but I think globally and their reaction to that is publicly at least two investors, well we're gonna do the next Harry Potter game might be a live service game.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? And then.
Speaker 2: There was a leaked email that was sent internally following these closures from a Discovery head of Global Streaming and Games, JB.
Speaker 1: Peret.
Speaker 2: Polygnon published parts of the letter. He said that the teams need to or the team needs to regain our credibility and swagger at producing great games, and blame blamed. Then he blamed current financial difficulties on the product market fit and quality of too many of our new releases of really missing the mark we need to and we'll do better for our fans first and foremost, and also because we're gaining that credibility is critical to us securing even more investment in game in the years to come. Getting our swagger back happens one quality game release at a time, and our financial credibility gets rebuilt, one fiscal quarter at a time, delivering what we said would we would.
Speaker 1: Deliver and no big negative surprises.
Speaker 2: He also described a strategy going forward as fewer games, but bigger and I got it. I mean to me, that's what got you into this mess, right is yes?
Speaker 1: I mean I.
Speaker 2: Suppose like that in their mind, like well, like that Quidditch game really ruined us, that you know that was too small and didn't matter, And it's like, ohh is that really what we're saying here? To me, it seems like having rock Steady build a game for a very long time that no one cared about.
Speaker 1: That seemed to be the issue big and few.
Speaker 2: So you're going back to your point of having very little faith in Warner Brothers to be able to guide these studios out of whatever situation that they're in.
Speaker 1: I'm right there with you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, this guy used swagger in his email more than once. That's all I need to say right here, kind of like, come on, man, you're not you're not play in sports. You're not talking about trying to get your sports team back in the thing. Jesus Christ. I just it's so disheartening, and I mean it's it's a it's just to late a symptom of a larger issue. Right. This is basically the kind of story we've been talking about for two years now, just in different places. It just so happens to be one that we saw coming a mile away, and we're just waiting for that second shoe to drop it. God that I will now, I would like, I can't wait. I hope maybe it's me one day that I'll write the story. It won't be, but hopefully some day it will be. I would love to write a wonder Woman story to get that story, to get to get that. I mean, I'm sure they're ndaight at the wazoo. But when people stop caring and they want to tell that story, I would love to hear what went on in that studio for two years and the absolute bullshit that they had to put up with just to have their game canned. It's it's it's infuriating, yep. Absolutely infuriating. YEP.
Speaker 2: I mean it just goes back to them wanting to make a Wonder Woman game kind of probably across the board, but the udo and the publisher, but the publisher's reasoning and being like that movie was a hit, and then the second movie stinks, and now now Wonder Woman feels like it's very in a very similar position to where Suicide Squad was after that first movie when they were working on that game, and it's like no one cared about this or the franchise has a taint to it because of the most widely popular available media being something that people are kind of feeling bad about, and it's like, God, you kind of this is why you kind of can't tie these games to something that's going on with the movies, because the people's movies taste change every three, five, six, seven years, and that's how long it takes to make a game. So you are going to continually find yourself in this situation that you keep going down that road, and it's like you would have been better off kind of choosing a different DC character and re establishing it in gaming, separate from anything that's happening with the movies. And I think, honestly a lot of us were saying that at the time, both definitely for Suicide Squad, maybe less so for a Wonder Woman, uh, but definitely for Suicide Squad.
Speaker 1: So mis management across the board. Uh.
Speaker 2: And they're and the managers mostly still there. Yeah, so I'm not expecting any anything different.
Speaker 3: Get you. The people who dismiss they stay their jobs on their over the hell and the we're grinding everyingle day to make these things happen are now out on the street. And it's just it's just like I infuriating because I want to say, O're trying to keep it clean.
Speaker 2: Uh, Chase, you're breaking up a little bit. I don't know if it's Internet issues or something like that. Yeah, just a little bit of glitching.
Speaker 1: Uh better. I think it might be coming back a little bit.
Speaker 3: I was shaking. That might have something to do with it. I don't know if it's maybe my wire is a little okay, uh no, yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Does seem like it's coming back.
Speaker 3: I think I think I want to keep my hands above the desk for the rest of the know.
Speaker 2: It's it's, it's it's still coming in and out, still coming in in and out.
Speaker 3: Really, Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 2: Let's give it. We'll give it. We'll give it a second. All in, use the next story and we'll see how it goes. All right, Yeah, definitely do a handcheck.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Warner Brothers keeps Nemesis gaming patents despite studio closure, so god damn it.
Speaker 1: This is from Scott Barrett at Dual Shockers.
Speaker 2: Warner Brothers may have closed some of its more prominent studios, but it will retain a patent created in a game made by one of its now former subsidiaries, the subsidiary that it closed. The gaming world was shocked when it revealed that Warner Brothers had canceled the Wonder Woman game that was first announced back in twenty twenty one and never had a proper gameplay trailer. Wonder Woman has been in development for years, and there's a lot of speculation as to why it would be shut down.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: On top of Wonder Woman's cancelation, Wonder Brothers also announced that it had closed three of its studios, w B, San Diego, Player First Games and Monol the Productions, the last of which was working on Wonder Woman. While WB may have destroyed Monolith Productions, it still is going to keep one of the patents made by the company as Emrond khn of venturebut co confirmed excuse me, Wonder Brothers will the patent of the Nemesis system from the Lord of the Rings games produced by Monolith for at least another decade. The Nemesis system was created for Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor and used again in its sequel, Shadow of War. Essentially, the Nemas system allowed players to have rival characters in the game that would get stronger as they get defeated. As they defeated the protagonists remaining throughout the story, Basically they would come back and they would have their own personalities, and you would then be charged with going out and hunting them, and then if you killed them, they might come back later and have like a wound or something then have like an axe to grind against you.
Speaker 1: It was a very cool thing and Warner Brothers patented it.
Speaker 2: They had a patent for this idea of this concept, and that's one of the reasons we haven't seen it in other games. I bet there are other reasons where it's like, you know, it may be difficult to replicate, but the big reason being the patent and patents last for twenty years. The Shadow of Mordor game came out ten years ago, so there's another ten years where Warner Brothers will sit on this.
Speaker 1: And really the expectation here, I think Jason.
Speaker 2: Is they we'll just sit on it because it's a patent and the executives don't know what to do with it. They wouldn't even know how to leverage it to maybe get some value out of it by like working with other publishers and be like, hey, we will lease this to you or so it's relatively cheap so it makes sense for you. No, they're just gonna sit on it, and now they don't have a studio with the expertise to take advantage of it. This is just such a black eye for the way this video game industry works.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, it is how we feeling, right, I think we're I think we're doing good. Okay, cool, just goes back to what we were saying previously. And this is actually even worse because like it's one thing to have your IP because it's inside Warner Brothers, it's Batman, it's all that stuff. This is a potentially game industry changing system that was started by a company that just happened to be in your purview and then you locked it up and you know, let anybody use it. It's basically taking your ball and going home. I would love to see variations on this, right, but you can't because anything that resembles it is gonna is gonna influence this patent. So could they sell the patent? Could they?
Speaker 1: They could?
Speaker 3: Could they do something like that?
Speaker 2: I I mean, but I think we know that what they're going to do. And it's nothing because like that, like we know corporations work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have something, and can you.
Speaker 2: Unless you have like feel full ownership of it, you're you don't even really know like how to like approach doing something with this thing. And so everyone just kind of does nothing and sits around and like, let's it sit like sit over there in the filing cabinet. That's what's gonna happen here. And and it's very frustrating. As you point out, we would love to see variations on it. We would love to see the industry riff on this idea. And that's not like some novel concept. That is video game software development from the very beginning. I always harp on this that from the beginning, we made video If someone made a video game at you know, Stanford or whatever the hell, it was Space War and a bunch of nerds went there and couldn't stop playing it, and then they're like, I'm gonna take this and I'm going to copy it basically beat for beat and make my own version of this and put it in the arcade, and someone else did the exacts. The first two games after Space War were Space War Clones, and then the next game after that kind of basically Pong, and then there were fifty Pong clones.
Speaker 1: And that is the story of the industry.
Speaker 2: People like you know, pac Man, pac Man clones, Space Invaders, Space Invader's Clones, just.
Speaker 1: Keep going down the line Doom. There are Doom likes.
Speaker 2: And the industry was vibrant because of this, because it did actually breed competition and a new idea is coming out of the same basic formula. And it has always worked. It has always been good. There are definitely times when people have put out a game and like some mobile developer will copy it exactly, and that is one of the issues with this, but you know, we.
Speaker 1: Will still have that.
Speaker 2: That still happens, and in the meantime, Warner Brothers gets the patent. This idea, patents and software development continue to be just mostly a terrible thing. And you know it's why I will continue whenever someone like works in open source development, like you are saying thank you so much, like we need more of that, and that continues to be like a closely held belief by many people who do work in software that these things should be shared with one another. And so when a corporation comes in be like it was like we own that. They didn't even they didn't even create it. The people that created this don't work there anymore. It's very, very frustrating to me, Jason.
Speaker 3: It is iteration sometimes breeds innovation, and all those examples you just said are perfect. I would also add that Mario obviously Supermeer Brothers then brought in all the platformers like sock At the Hedgehog and the true pinnacle of our industry bubbsy, So I couldn't say that was a straight face.
Speaker 2: The pinnacle didn't happen until Blues Brothers two thousand.
Speaker 3: Please, that's right, that's right. Go watch Blake Club. Good. Great, that was a great pitch. But no, it's all it's just the same. We keep going back to this, to this, to the same basic argument that the people who make the decisions don't know how to make the decisions that they're responsible of making. And then something stupid like this happens, where again, this beautiful technology is just sitting there with you know, gathering digital dust in a patent and the and the patent paper work is in a drawer somewhere. They're gonna probably forget about it. Watch at this rate, zas Lave will finally get kicked out at some point, they'll forget about it. At twenty thirty four, it'll just go away and that'll be that. It's it's it's annoying and it's frustrating and it sucks. And I hope that somebody, somebody can make them a deal where they can be like, you know, we want to use this. I don't know who it would be. I don't know where they would come from, or how much money it would take. Probably more than it's actually worth, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what I would like to see is an indie studio just go make a game with the Nemesis system in it, and see they probably would even.
Speaker 1: Sue you, because like that, they would have to like enforce it.
Speaker 2: They would have to be like, because there's no like patent cop out there patrolling the streets being like, oh, so hey, I know who someone owns that patent.
Speaker 1: It would be on one brothers to have to enforce it themselves.
Speaker 2: And maybe they would be too lazy, too stupid, too distracted, too incompetent to enforce it.
Speaker 1: That would actually be my guess is how this would go down.
Speaker 3: Now, I wonder if, like Nemesis system, the whole point is the more you encounter someone, the stronger they get and the more difficult they get. Could they try and spin this as like relationships in games, the more you talk to someone, your stronger your relationship gets. Is that a Nemesis system, Like, I hate to put that out in the universe.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so, because I think like you have to be a very specific thing of an enemy, like the way these patents are written, it's they're pretty, they're usually very narrow. That doesn't stop companies that have patents from being patent trolls and being like, hey, this is a violation, We're going.
Speaker 1: To sue you, or you know, you could just settle.
Speaker 2: And Warner Brothers absolutely could end up being a patent troll that way, for sure. I just I guess would be they just looking at that company, they wouldn't even have the sort.
Speaker 3: Of the.
Speaker 1: Wherewithal to figure that out.
Speaker 2: But you know, maybe that's maybe that's optimistic thinking that they're too stupid to know what they have. All right, let's uh, let's keep moving here. More than forty percent of all USPS five and Xbox playtime last month was spent on ten live service games. It's this story again, basically, we've had this for a while that hey, there's a handful of games that continue to just be these black hole games that swallow up a ton of the industry. Do you do you think that this is gonna like this number forty of playtime It kind of has hovered around there.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that continues to grow?
Speaker 2: Do you think it shrinks or do you think it kind of maintains at that level going forward. Do you think that there's gonna be more people and as they come into gaming, they're like, I'm just gonna go play Fortnite in Roadblocks and Call of Duty?
Speaker 3: I could. I mean, my first inclination is, yes, I think it's going to grow, maybe not significantly, but at least a little bit, maybe get to fifty percent, because how many of these people that are contributing to this would never play video games anyway, and they're the only games they play, whether it's because they're playing with their friends or they've heard of called due to their whole life, or Roadblocks is kid friendly or Minecraft actually is kid friendly and they're just kind of filtered there because that's all the parents know too, right, going back to the people who still call it Nintendo, They've heard of Minecraft because it's everywhere. They've heard of Fortnite because it's everywhere, so that's what they send their kids towards. I've had many conversations with people who are like, what do you think about Roadblocks? And that's a whole different story. But yeah, just I think this number is always going to be somewhere in the forty to fifty range. Percent range, just because they're so popular and they're free, which helps so the parents don't have to put any financial responsibility into it. It's not like the barrier of buying a console. Yeah. I don't see this going away anytime soon unless something happens to the games them elves where they go away, But that's never going to happen because with this playtime comes a lot of money. They're very lucrative games. I think the five one of the stats here, it pertains the twenty twenty three, but it means it names great examples of these games. Fortnite, Grand Theft Auto five, which will stonent be six, but I don't think that's going to do anything to playtime. League of Legends, Minecraft and Roadblocks huge games never going anywhere. Now would sports games fit into this as well? Like is FIFA because of or FC excuse me because of Ultimate Team? Is that live service or is it not? It just has a live service element, so that kind of plays into it too. Sports will always be popular. Some people will only play sports games because they love the sports they come from, so I don't think it's ever going away. But I also don't think that I think the the main challenge here is for the industry is getting these people who are only playing these live services games to make the jump right to be like that's why I think they focus so much on IP collaborations at the moment, like teenage routing Ninja Turtles being in Call of Duty is absurd. But if some kid who you know falls to peer pressure a lot, sees the Ninja Turtles in Call of Duty, they might think, whoa, what makes the Call of Duty so cool? And if it's I'm sorry, the Ninja Turtles seems so cool, and if his friends go there too, he's going to figure out. And then they had Ninja Turtle fans, and that that is why I think this keeps happening. Yes, but that's to go back to the playtime thing. No, I don't think this is ever going away just because these games will always be popular as long as they continue to make money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think what happens here is that you mentioned trying to get people to jump over, and it's like, I maybe they have to find different kinds of players that like actually want to jump around from games, and those people will exist separate from the people who only are in these live service games, but in that case, I think even someone that comes into gaming for single player, narrative driven RPGs and stuff probably finds themselves at least a portion of them also jumping into Fortnite with their friends. The friend want to play video games, so it's like everything will benefit from that, except for maybe like live service will always.
Speaker 1: Be a benefit for more people coming in.
Speaker 2: That's why it will continue to grow and continue to be like this, at least this size in the industry. I think the dynamism of, hey, are people buying a lot of different kinds of games, That will have to come from attracting the kinds.
Speaker 1: Of people who are into that idea in the first place.
Speaker 2: And the people who came into gaming for free to play live service games to play with their friends.
Speaker 1: We're probably never going to be that kind of person.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and you know the other side of that is okay, Well, then do these companies are they interested in the demand from the people that want to play a lot of different kinds of games, or do they continue to hear the siren song of we maybe we could be the eleventh game.
Speaker 1: On this list, the eleventh black Hole game. I think they continue to hear that, and.
Speaker 2: That yes, is a problem for expecting to get a lot of variety from big companies, Warner Brothers themselves saying we're gonna make fewer games, fewer and bigger.
Speaker 1: So that doesn't sound great to me.
Speaker 3: No, it does. It's a fallacy to think because people own there's only so many gamers. There's a lot of them, but there's only so many gamers and so much attention span to go around, and eventually you're going to have people who are loyal to these ten live service games. I would consider myself most loyal to Fortnite. It's the one I play the most. It just is. My kids would say Minecraft. They play a lot of Minecraft together. They each go into each other's worlds on their switches. They're just in their own little isolated spots, so they would say Minecraft. I have friends who love League of Legends, including one lurking on this call. I have people who play GTA online all the time. I have people who I try to tell not to play Roadblocks, but that's another story. They just that's what they play, and that's the one they're going to be dedicated to. Are they going to have the bandwidth to try number eleven? I think no. I think there's a yard full of IP that would.
Speaker 2: Say no, yep, And like, you know, what does happen is the games keep getting bigger. Roadblocks has been around since two thousand and six. Yeah, they just they just add more stuff to that, and people just continue to glom onto that, and then if they stop playing that, they graduate to one of these other live service games.
Speaker 1: We have stories of Grand Theft Auto.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know the rock Star planning to have huge user generated content plans.
Speaker 1: For GTA six online.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, you want to be the adult Roadblocks, and that will certainly be a likely scenario for what we're gonna end up seeing from that game.
Speaker 3: God, could you imagine? Yep?
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, they already have a lot of creator levels in that game that like to make make that a focus and make that central to it.
Speaker 3: And that's I can imagine. It's not even getting into the private roleplay servers that have become ubiquitous with that game.
Speaker 2: And they acquired the role playing server company and so they're going to have that built into the game as well. It's gonna be a very weird time once GTAs six. So just to figure out what that game even is to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Sure, all right, let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: We will come right back after this with plenty of more headlines, including Mecha Break doing very very well.
Speaker 1: It came popped off. We'll talk about that right after this.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get right back into it. Mecha Break beta hit three hundred thousand concurrent players and broke servers. This is in Blair Marnell at game Spot. Late last week and Amazing Seasun Games launched the latest beta test for Mecca Break, a new cooperative shooter game that's basically Armored Corps by way of Titan Fall. I did download this because I noticed that I'm like, boy, that sounds cool. If the initial wave of three hundred thousand concurrent players is indy indication, Mecha Break could be well on its way toward being a hit. However, all those players led to some of Mecca Breaks servers going down and a message on Mecha Breaks a fi social media channels. Amazing Seasun Games apologize to players for the server problems and promise to send out three batches of Ultimate Maintenance Box. Basically, they're just sending you a freebies in the game.
Speaker 1: I don't know what any of those words mean. I mostly want to talk about this because it's.
Speaker 2: Like, man, God, these games are still popping out out of nowhere for me where it's like, yeah, sure, I had heard about Mecca Break.
Speaker 1: We saw trailers for it.
Speaker 2: I think it was maybe it was in the Kileies something like that, and I'm like, oh, that that looks pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I'll check that out.
Speaker 3: I was not.
Speaker 2: I did not know that this was a game that was primed to have three hundred thousand concurrent players on Steam, which people that may maybe don't know that's a massive number. That's more than any just about any other game you can think of gets, let alone in a beta.
Speaker 1: That's so yeah, this is this is nuts.
Speaker 2: I think the story I take away here is games can still do this, and then whether or not they can maintain it is a whole other story. But the fact that this is still there are people thirsty for something new, speaks to yeah, more games might be able to join that cadre, at least temporarily, of the ten games we just talked about in the last story, right, all.
Speaker 3: Right, But also too, this is an idea that maybe in practice is not that much different from the live services games. But it's Big Mechs, Armored Corps and Titanfall. It has its own it feels different, so people are going to flock to it. And yes, you are correct, they basically, if I go back to my email history correctly, I believe they basically saved all of their trailers and big news for Keeley related events games Com. They were at the last two Game Awards. I believe they were at twenty three and twenty twenty four, which is also pretty intelligent for a new studio with a brand new game like that, because that's where all the eyes go, right. Forty million viewers or whatever it was for the last two Game Awards, not combined each, that's a lot of people seeing these trailers and they see Big Mechs blast it all around and all this, and they go, okay, I'll give it a shot, and all of a sudden, here we are three hundred thousand current players breaking the servers. Can they maintain that we will see? That remains to be seen. But the fact that that's even possible should be a nice little beacon or a blueprint of how to make this happen instead of what we were speaking about before. I think it's really cool, and I think they They've also done a very good job of getting their word out to press like us. I've seen a lot of emails talking about Mecca Break from these dudes, which then leads to us, you know, previewing it or what have you, And then that is another avenue to get some word of mouth out. It's word of mouth, like I just said, in practice, I feel like that people. I think people now really devalue word of mouth or don't put as much emphasis on it as they used to. Sometimes the only thing a game needs to get huge is friends telling friends, Hey, this is this is pretty cool. Granted a lot of that is probably helped by Hey, I watched this YouTuber play it. If I'm being honest, but still YouTuber plays it, the kid watches it, tells their friends all of a sudden, they're all in, right, So I mean, I like it. I think it's I think it's good for them. I hope it continues and it breaks. I kind of hope it breaks more servers just so they could be like, hey, we're trying, but you guys keep making us very popular. We can only go we can only be so popular. Guys, give us, give us a minute. But hey, good for them. I like seeing new ips break out like this, and I hope it lasts for a good amount of time, especially considering the ten Goliaths we just spoke about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna give this a shot. I'm gonna see it for myself. It looks pretty interesting. Yeah, yeah, we'll kind of take it from there.
Speaker 1: All right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 2: Three years later, the steam Deck has dominated handheld PC gaming. This is from Sean Hollister at The Verge. Today is the third anniversary of valves Steam Deck, the handheld gaming PC that all but created the market for handheld gaming PCs. We all know there was stuff before that, but come on, everybody, it was a.
Speaker 1: Mess to start.
Speaker 2: But three years later, the Verge has data showing how it has dominated the nascent market. While Valve told us in November twenty two, twenty three that had sold multiple millions of the AMD powered handheld, we've never had a good glimpse at how big it is or how Windows competitors stack up.
Speaker 1: Until now.
Speaker 2: It seems the steam Deck so far has been bigger than all of its competitors. Competitors Combined Market research firm IDC uses supply chains to estimate just how many handheld gaming systems have shipped around the world and creates spending forecasts based on that data when asked. When they asked IDC Market research analyst Lewis, a Ward shout out to Lewis' friend of mine if he'd be willing to isolate Steam, ossens and Windows gaming handhelds from that data.
Speaker 1: He said yes.
Speaker 2: So here are the estimates combined shipment of the Steam Deck and the Windows based Asus rog Ally, Lenovo, Legion Go and MSI Claw from twenty twenty two through twenty twenty four, and an estimating an estimate for twenty twenty five. Basically, they have the numbers break down to there have been probably around four ish million of these things sold and actually, excuse me, six million of these shipped over three years, and about sixty six percent ish of those are Steam Decks. You know, those are general figures, but that's how it break down. The Verge has more specific numbers, and of course that comes from IDC's estimates and data. That is that sounds about right to me, and I think the good news there is that Steam Deck based on the name and people just like being like, oh, I see this thing when I open up Steam, so this is the default thing. People are shopping around and picking the one that's right for them, and a lot of these other ones are selling pretty well, even if the steam Deck is kind of barreling over everything. In total, it's like, well, it's not like eighty five percent, which you know it easily.
Speaker 1: Could have been.
Speaker 2: It's like no, no, people want that Roger ally and it's doing just as well. I think overall, what these numbers say, though, Jason, is this is a very healthy, fast growing market, especially when you think about the way other like you know, laptop PCs might sell. These things are selling better than most of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that as it goes back to convenience, right, if there's something about lugging a heavy gaming laptop with a giant brick everywhere you go, or you just have this handheld. Sure, battery life is an issue, but that's an issue on laptops too. That doesn't really matter, and it's much easier to plug this in than it is to plug in the big brick. I'm not surprised too, that the steam Deck is the leader of this. As you said, it was the first one kind of to create this new market. It's sort of started everything back in twenty twenty two. But also too the main ones as you listed here, Asis, Lenovo, and MSI. Even people who are loyal to those three brands for their PCs, Steams Universal steams on all three, and they're all playing their games on Steam. So they hear portable PC, they're going to go to Steam first. Granted, the Steam Deck thanks to its Linux background or whatever it is. On the actual thing, it's not as universal like Legion Go is a Windows eleven PC. I happen to hold like this, so that makes it a little more makes the barrier of entry a little lower for me personally. But I'm a PC idiot. I will be the first one to tell you that. But but I think that, as you said, the fact that it's only sixty six percent kind of goes to the quality and possibility of the idea in general. Do they have Nintendo to thank for that with the switch kind of setting portable big handheld gaming with the Switch back at twenty seventeen. That's an argument for another time, but I think that Steam kind of seeing that and being like, hmm, can we do this with Steam and a PC? And then boom, here we go. I think it was smart. I think it was it was they were the right ones to do it. I don't think a PC company like Asis or Lenovo would have been as successful if the steamback weren't first. I think the steam deck had to be first to make this nascent market what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we saw a lot of you know, Chinese companies that excuse me, were in this space even before Valve, and that's how it worked. It was a very very tiny category. I would look over and be like, oh, I want one of those things. That'd be a neat way to do that. They're not super powerful, but I'll be able to play some games on there. And they were weird and cumbersome and very very expensive.
Speaker 1: They were usually.
Speaker 2: Starting around eleven hundred dollars. Really the one you wanted was like thirteen hundred dollars. Like so, I can never justify it. And then you know, Steam came in with a subsidized Steam Deck and really set a standard for the market. And I think it's easy to forget this was. You know, it's three years old. It's been three years and they have already kind of established what is clearly a new pillar for selling a hardware to people, video game hardware two people. I also think that you know, this is the first go around. Still, really I think when they do have a steam Deck two that will be primed, I think to pop off much faster, much quicker. You know, the numbers that Lewis Ward provided here was like, in the first year, they sold about one point six million of these things. This is for the combined sales of the steam Deck, Roger Ally, Lenoo, Legion Go and MSI Claw.
Speaker 1: Obviously those weren't a lot in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Two, but for the category, the one point six million in the first year, two point five six million in the next, than down to one point four or five, yeah, four or five the year after that, and then the estimate for twenty twenty five is it will jump back up to one.
Speaker 1: Point nine million.
Speaker 2: These are not not Switch numbers. These are not you know, these are not even Xbox numbers. Let's be clear, Xbox selling much faster than this. But this is a brand new category. It is having a little bit ups and downs, but it's kind of bouncing back up, and so I think it is going to be a permanent fixture here. And like I said, steam Deck two comes. I think it really sells much faster than this.
Speaker 1: What do you think kind.
Speaker 3: Of reflects you know, how people view gaming in general. You have your console, your players for your Xbox, your PlayStation, and that whole group. PC gaming has always been there, yep, right, They've always been people who are loyal to just playing on PC. Now they just have a new way to do that. So while you're saying they're not Xbox numbers, the not Switch numbers, they are numbers comparable to the loyal PC game game fan base who want a handheld gaming experience as close to granted, it's not you know, keyboard and mouse. You're not gonna be able to do that on a handheld unless you Jerry Rickett and there's hdmiports or what have you. But being able to take the progress that you've made in a Balder's Gate on Steam or something like that and just putting it in your hands, that's very intriguing for people who can't lug their PC across the country when they're traveling, so they bring the Steam Deck and said, it makes perfect sense to me that even though, like you said, they're not selling Gangbusters like the biggest names in console gaming. It is a very healthy number simply because the PC gamers want the option.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, all right, let's move along here.
Speaker 2: After Silent Hell two remakes success, Konami and blueber are teaming up again. This is from Michael mcwerder at Polygon. Konami is once again in trusting Blueber Team, the developer of twenty twenty fours outstanding remake of Silent Hill two, with its intellectual property for a new game. The publisher and developer announced a second collaboration on Tuesday, but did not disclose which game or ip blueber Team would be developing. Viaboration with Konamia has been incredibly fruitful, and the success of Silent Hill too speaks for itself.
Speaker 1: Bluebird Team CEO Peter Torror.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Peter Bebin Babino, I'm gonna say, Peter Babino has said in a news release. By sharing knowledge and experience, we have been able to create high quality production together. Of course, we can't reveal too many details at this time, but we are confident that fans will be just as excited about our collaboration as we are. We can't wait to share something truly special with players when the time is right, they're probably making another sound Hill, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, mus be like what I'm looking at there at the Konami list right here? What other Well, if we're talking about horror horror, Jason, what would a Bluebird team Castlevania look like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that they will probably have a little bit more free rang to maybe do some stuff going down the line. But yeah, it's like, God, you probably like try to get some of those other sound Hills out of the way first, and you know, see if they can replicate the success because you know one, you know that sound Hill two. I think it's got to be the best selling silent Hill game of all time. It has to be c Yeah, and yeah, right if not, if it's not, if it's close to, it's doing very very well. So this worked, This worked, and you probably if it's something works, you're probably gonna go do it again. But I think what they're saying here is these these two entities really trust each other and we'll probably continue this really like have this relationship develop even more going down the line. You know they probably do they go to Soundhill three. I don't know the sound Hill one need a remake in the fans opinion.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I could see one, I could see three. I could see an original based on that they get they use the Silent Hill to remake to kind of get their feel within the franchise, and then try some original story after that. I think that makes logical sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chet saying one or three is reliant on one, So that makes sense.
Speaker 3: You have to do one first in order to do three. That makes sense. Yeah, I mean Silent hillm does make the most sense. It was I I mean I might be speaking for myself here, but I had very little expectations for that and it absolutely blew everyone that ever played it away. Now granted, I'm not the most storied horror gamer. You know again, I don't trust my family history, but I just I could not believe how much people glombed onto that remake as a quality. And maybe that's just the mistrust of Konami not so much Blueber Team, but it was definitely both going into Yeah, but this perfect storm might create even more good stuff, So yeah, go back to one, then do three or do something original. Maybe find a way to I guess you couldn't combine one in three. I have to see how one plays into that I'm not familiar with, and I.
Speaker 2: Think they would like do it separate and make maximize the return on that cont you know. I think someone in chat suggested they could like reuse the assets that they make for one in three.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they could bubble them together.
Speaker 2: But I think what the idea would be, like, let's make one and then let's make three, and we'll be able to save a lot of money and the process of making three because we just we just did one and then we can make you kind of double our money.
Speaker 3: Sort of situation. I could seeing that round. You could sell it as a trilogy. Yeah, and all that stuff too. Yeah, that does make but yeah, so one being next, the more that chat Hammer's at home, it does make sense. Good job, chat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good work.
Speaker 2: Third co host, uh Ninja five to zero is out now.
Speaker 1: This game is costs a lot.
Speaker 2: Of money if you try to buy it like a shoot copy for your Game Boy Advance, but it's it's yeah, but you can get it for much cheaper than that now and it's for every console and PC. Basically it's yeah, twenty five dollars and Ninja five oh is a really really solid game. This is I think this is Konami as well. I think, yeah, Konami made this game. I think, yeah, this is Konami, and uh hey, I'm really glad they did this. I never thought they would. I like Ninja five, oh a whole bunch. It's worth playing. It's kind of a side scrolling action ninja game, and it's it's totally It's got a really good look, just like most game Boy Advanced games do. So I highly recommend it out now. But Gonami got their ship together, huh yeah.
Speaker 3: Like they're all of a sudden, they're following the the Capcom blueprint that we've talked about many times before. Could you remakes to kind of build up your coffers a little bit Metal Gear and Silent Hill, you bring back old franchises. There's what there will be three twenty twenty five Ninja guiding games between two four and Rage Bound.
Speaker 1: Yep, Like that's wait, that is that Konomia? Is that Namco? Is it coy techeech Co? Text? Yes, technow yes, you know like not he made the same mistake on a show.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's everybody ye uh uh but no yeah you you you you go god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's embarrassing then that the same Mike's the same thing. He was so embarrassed by it, and I gotta say, I think that makes it even more embas it's such a I think it's such a normal thing to conflate, like I get it, like I would have thought the same thing previously.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: But hey, I think that you're right to say that Konami is falling that template. And you know, having a variety of different ideas that they are attacking remakes new games based on franchise, on classic franchises was like Silent Hell f or whatever it was, and then bringing back classic games just as they are or in packages or in collections, and that's you know, Ninja five zero good example of that as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's the one good cop game. It's more Ninja than Cop, everybody, So don't worry about it. It's all good, all right.
Speaker 2: Last couple of stories. Sonic Rumble is now coming a little later than expected. This is from Ben Lyons at Game Reactor. If you have been keeping an eye out for Sonic Rumble and have been counting down the days until the until the winter comes to a close and the game is supposed to debut, we have a little bad news for you. The game that was originally expected to launch in winter has been delayed and now you will be now it will be coming sometime in spring. There is no new exact release date, but just a general release timeline.
Speaker 1: This is that, Uh, you know, what's the being game where everyone runs around of Fall Guys Fall Guys?
Speaker 2: I think it's the Sonic Fall Guys, which always seemed like a pretty good idea.
Speaker 1: That's a pretty interesting thing.
Speaker 3: I would like to say, yeah, if if what's thirty two people? I think I'm seeing it as I just looked it up running in one course and whoever gets there for that makes a lot of sense. Ye, it's basically just the the race parts of Fall Guys in Sonic, which is also always known for its speed. It makes it makes a lot of sense. I forgot it existed, to be completely honest with you, until we were saying it was. It was on the line up today. So no no offense to the Sonic fans out there, Please don't kill me like the Ninja Guidance fans are at the moment. But but yeah, this is this is cool. I'll definitely show it to the to the kids when it comes out because they like Fall Guys and they like Sonic, So yep, Sonic Fall Guys seems like a good marriage. Sucks that it's not coming out when they want it to, but you know, if it can still come out this year and make some waves, let's see, it's yep.
Speaker 1: I guess this is great.
Speaker 2: I kind of wish they would just do another Sonic Party game a Sonic Party instead, but maybe they'll do both. Maybe they'll get around to the other one eventually.
Speaker 1: All right, last story here. This popped off right before we went live.
Speaker 2: Dragon Age The Veil Guard headlines marches PlayStation Plus Essential Games. Sony Interactive Entertainment has revealed March twenty twenty five's PlayStation Plus Essential games. These are, excuse me, the games that you get for just having PlayStation Plus at any tier. You add them to your library and then you have them as long as you have PlayStation Plus. March's PlayStation Plus Essential games are Dragon Age The Veil Guard, the PS five for PS five, Sonic Colors Ultimate and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Cowabunga Collection.
Speaker 1: They'll be available two subscribers.
Speaker 2: To claim starting March fourth, and then that will last until March thirty. First, it's pretty soon for Dragon Age Veilguard.
Speaker 3: Huh yeah, it's uh, it's it's weird, but everything about that game has been weird since it came out, right, there's been you know, it's it's a great Dragon Age, but it's not as good as they wanted it to be. It's not going to get any follow ups. It's just been a very weird post launch cycle for this game. This will inspire me to give it a shot. I mean it didn't fit into my uh I didn't even try it. Yeah, you're right, right, Yeah, it didn't even it didn't fit into my holiday plans just because I kind of fell off Dragon Age, so I didn't think it was for me. I want to pick it up. I want to give it a shot based on what people were saying. I loved what I saw back at Summer Games Fest back in June. But yeah, I mean, this will this will it is. But it is soon, as you said it is, it's surprisingly soon, Like I I don't know, it's it's it's it's a weird, little like there's a red flag going off of my head, but I can't quite pinpoint why. Maybe it's because of the Warner Brothers story, and I'm like, oh crap, thee goo to do the same thing. But if BioWare is working on mass effects, so they should be okay.
Speaker 2: I mean they've already they've already done the thing that they did the BioWare, Right, they cut staff at BioWare and that's a lot of people over to other teams. Yeah, there were layoffs as part of that. So yeah, mass Effect is going to be its own thing. That that will they'll they'll probably see mass Effect through. They will make that game, yes, But in the meantime, they boy, they are This feels like wiping your hands of the Veil Guard. Are just like absolutely like, we don't even want to look at that thing. Sony cut us a check and then we're not. We're moving on, and they are moving on from Dragon Age. They're not going to make another dragon Age, at least not unless it's being changes drastically.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, yeah, you said wipe for your hands of the Veilguard, and I agree, But also as you also alluded Dragon Age as a whole, like this is the last thing. Yes, if maybe they'll put it on game Pass at some point too, right, that's it. Like the as far as they're concerned, dragon Age is a defunct, dormant franchise back where it was before the Vailguard even came out. And that'll be that for a while, which is said and a shame, but I guess that's just another beacon in this entire industry.
Speaker 2: In it yep, it's uh, yeah, it'll be an EA play, which is part of game Pass.
Speaker 1: It's not right the yeah play.
Speaker 2: There's a higher tier where you get day one games, but that's not part of game Pass. So yeah, it's not on there yet. But hey, they're right. It's to PlayStation Plus before they put it in EA play. And again that's because they probably could maximize the return because Sony probably did probably they probably paid a pretty good amount for dragon Age so soon, you know, although not too much or al Sony just would not have done it.
Speaker 1: So there, All.
Speaker 2: Right, that is gonna do it for the headlines.
Speaker 1: Uh GM, let's bring up the poll.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it myself over here so I could see what I did, what I even said?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Loading, Now, all right, when do you expect switch to to launch? This is an updated poll as we get continue to get rumors and speculation. Just kind of see how people are feeling at the moment, and I gotta say it seems like the skeptics and the pessimists are are winning.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: Two percent think it's coming in April. I think that's completely fair, that that would be kind of crazy. Thirteen Only thirteen percent think it'll come by May. So you know, the Nintendo Direct is happening in April. Second, you know, by the end of May, it would be basically two months, but only.
Speaker 1: Thirteen percent think it will make that.
Speaker 2: Forty percent are leaning toward June, and that's that's the bucket. So I guess when you add it all up, the majority of people think it's coming before summer really gets underway, then forty five percent believe it'll be ju or July or later, so the second half of the year.
Speaker 1: So second half of the year is only forty five percent. First half of the year.
Speaker 2: You know, that three month period after the April direct is fifty five percent, with most people leaning towards June. Right now, I'm I think I'm with that crowd. Still May June is is where I'm at. I still think May is even a possibility.
Speaker 3: I read the theory of the good Dude Brian Shay, formerly of Game Informer, and I think I'm with the podcast. Yeah, yeah, I think I'm with him. That June twentieth seems like a good sweet spot because you get the schools just letting out, summertimes, just starting. The gamer kids are going to have switched to to play all summer, so you get the initial sales, and then at holiday time you have time to restock and then hit that second sale again. So I don't think it's July or later May could be a possibility to get right at the end of school, But that June twentieth day. Ever since he said it, it's just been kind of ringing in my head, So I think that makes a lot of sense. I voted June in this.
Speaker 2: I used the thinking machine I have here and went to a website that allows you to search information, and I said in sixty four release date Japan that came out June twenty third, nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: So interesting.
Speaker 2: So they they have released hardware around that time before, and that was the initial reveal release of the N sixty four. And now they do all releases as globally as they can. There's always some lag, but they will release it in North America and Japan at the same time. Now, so this this feels like, yeah, this feels pretty good.
Speaker 1: And that's the whole theory. Shay. I heard there was a former.
Speaker 2: Nintendo employee that who hit his name and it was just called Sean on the Kitt and Chrystal podcast basically said that same exact strategy of yeah, you have the initial wave of like we're gonna have twenty million switch tos in the first quarter ready to go with Mario Kart, and then we're gonna tell everybody that there's gonna be a big game come in that fault. We'll have a restock of hardware by that fault, and Christmas will be like a second launch at that point for people that did not rush to get out the early adopter stuff.
Speaker 1: That boy, that makes a lot of sense. And part of that for sure.
Speaker 2: One for me is Copium where I'm I am just like, boy, I want this thing.
Speaker 1: Earlier rather than like, yeah, but it all does.
Speaker 2: Line up, and I don't I don't think we're in a world now where they announce that all the details in April and then the release date is deeper in the year, It is probably going to be two three months at most, and three months kind of puts them in July, and I don't think this thing comes out in July.
Speaker 3: Well, if you go back to Switch one, that big live stream was January and he came out.
Speaker 2: March third, exactly, and not much and that like the sort of theory behind like quick turnarounds for marketing campaigns has not changed since then, And if anything, it's shrunk even more, where it's like, now you're cannounced something two weeks ahead of time.
Speaker 1: Now they're not going to do that, But Nintendo.
Speaker 2: Does always kind of echo what Apple does, and Apple will announce a phone and then sell it to you two weeks later.
Speaker 1: So I think it'll shrink.
Speaker 2: It'll be a month and a half, two months before we really get this thing, and then, you know, two and a half months, maybe a little bit more than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see the Sega Saturn shadow drop.
Speaker 1: Do it?
Speaker 3: Oh man?
Speaker 2: Yeah, make retailers really mad. They don't matter anymore. Actually, yeah, you could just piss off retailers now I doesn't.
Speaker 1: Oh, all right, let's see here, we have a new poll question.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that here in a second before we do that though, Jason Finale, why don't you tell people where they can find you on the internet what you have going on all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can find me at big Man Finale at besky dot Social as you can see on the screen right there. Got some coverage coming out from the aforementioned Magic Con in Chicago, a great interview with the Final Fantasy team. As I mentioned, other sort of like odds and ends. It's a great article from Joe Bradford, the editor in chief, talking about the new Commander brackets. If you play Commander, they have a new system of classifying how powerful your deck is. And that was just like the first event that was in practice and how that went out. I also just reviewed while waiting, as I mentioned, I think we don't know if it's pre show or on here, but just in case four but why though an independent website run by Kate Sanchez, great great person, great website reviewed that there. Shout out to all them doing some guide work on Pirate Yakazev reign doing something doing that to busy keep him busy as you want one if I could do one real quick, A quick shouted I mentioned this in the last show, but recently, I went to my local cards store to place some magic and a fella comes up to me. His name's Mario. He taps me on the shoulder and says, look, I don't we've never met. You don't know me, but I watched you on Jeff Grubbs Show and I went wow, yeah, I said you that's He's like, yeah, I just recognize you. And then next time I saw him, he had a giant bombhaddle.
Speaker 1: Ah, so fantastic shout out to Hey, Hi Mario.
Speaker 3: Hi Mario, shout out and and a very appropriate name too, which is awesome. Mario watches cave Nessvorty Kid for But yeah, so I meant I meant to say that last time. I forgot, so I want to make sure I said it now. But yes, that's where you can find me and all the stuff that I do. If you do happen to follow me on social media. I hope you like pro wrestling, cute dogs and kids, magic the gathering, and video games, because that's what you get and she gets.
Speaker 1: And I think you might have some people in your foreigner for all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Here watching today, people who I want to thank for watching, Thank you all for watching the best audience in gaming. Jason Fonelli, thank you for hanging out with me talking about video games. I really appreciate it. One of my favorite things to do anytime. Man, we have a plenty more happening here on the website. Janet Joe, why do you come on here and talk with me real quick? How should we do these handoffs?