Speaker 1: Now, doctor Watson, how about the were wolf?
Speaker 2: Mister Bell the adventure again innocently enough. On a slate gray November afternoon in Baker Street, just before the turn of the century, Holmes and I were seated comfortable on either side of a cracking fire, when short before tea time, there was a jangle on our doorbell, and a few minutes later a young girl, whom missus Hudson announced as Miss Victor, was standing before us, a young girl dressed in a wedding guard. She was in a great state of excitement, in fact, almost as mister.
Speaker 3: As you must help me. There's no one else to whom I can turn.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do this, My dear compose yourself if you will just tell us the facts, Miss Victor, Well.
Speaker 3: At three o'clock this afternoon, I was to have been married to David McKinnon.
Speaker 4: Any relation to the Hersha mckinnons.
Speaker 3: The son and dare to the estates?
Speaker 4: Do?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 2: I think I met one of the family in a shooting party a few years ago.
Speaker 5: I remember the sting.
Speaker 4: Some other time. Watson.
Speaker 6: Please, Miss Victor's problem is immediate. Who you will say you were to have been married? Miss Victor.
Speaker 4: What occurred to prevent the ceremony just didn't appear?
Speaker 3: Oh, this dreadful, mister Holmes. I waited and waited, and finally I knew.
Speaker 5: He wasn't coming.
Speaker 4: You've had no word from him since.
Speaker 3: No nana. I went to his hotel as soon as I.
Speaker 5: Left the church.
Speaker 4: And what did you discover?
Speaker 3: That he had received a visit from an elderly Scotsman this morning and the porter said that immediately afterward they left together in a cab the same confessation.
Speaker 7: So thankless, and after their destination was Scott hur.
Speaker 3: Quite mister Holmes, you must find David for me. I know he's been kidnapped.
Speaker 4: Miss Victor.
Speaker 6: A man who is being kidnapped does not walk out of a hotel in broad daylight and order a cab. Something's happened to him.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't do a thing like this in his own vinegion.
Speaker 2: She you got shot that you didn't have some lover's quarrel or something to differ in the last.
Speaker 5: Few days that might have made your fiance change his mind.
Speaker 3: Of course, I'm sure, doctor Watson, we've never had any misunderstanding. Only something dreadful could have made him leave.
Speaker 6: I shall do everything in my power to find out what it was, Miss Victor. Oh, Watson, get me the railway, guys, it.
Speaker 5: Hurts on the table. Besides, I knew you'd help me.
Speaker 4: I only hope you'll be successful.
Speaker 6: Now, Watson, if you'll pack a couple of bags and meet me at the station at nine fifteen, in time for the Scottish Express.
Speaker 4: I have a few simple inquiries to make.
Speaker 7: What kept you so long? We almost missed the train.
Speaker 6: You are shockingly out of condition, Watson. A little sprint like that shouldn't leave you so windows.
Speaker 7: Well, never mind about my condition.
Speaker 5: Where have you been to the last?
Speaker 4: For us?
Speaker 6: Delving into the back issue files at the times very instructive.
Speaker 4: You should try it something rubbish?
Speaker 5: There's nothing Duller then, yes it is news.
Speaker 6: I doubt if you call the legend of the McKinnon family dull. Watson on the contrary.
Speaker 5: So that's what you've been looking up.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's a history that goes back several hundred years of brawling and bloodshed. The founder of the clan was a fourteenth century Scottish warrior by the name of Wolfhound McKinnon. He reputed to have been so incredibly vicious in battle that his enemies accused him of being a werewolf a vampire. Oh, come now home, I'm merely repeating a five hundred year old legend. The point is that the present head of the clan, the father of the disappearing fiancee today, is known as Black Angus. He's a dominant, thoroughly hated man whose local reputation is as frightening in our day and age as his predecessors was five centuries A.
Speaker 2: Very interesting homes But I don't see why he gets too excited over a five hundred year old legend.
Speaker 6: Well, you see, Watson, I found another rather curious fact in the papers.
Speaker 5: Oh what was that?
Speaker 6: Several times during the last few months sheep dogs have been found dead in the vicinity of McKinnon Castle.
Speaker 4: With their throats torn out.
Speaker 6: Good Heavens, Tamis, you've lived in this village to go many years.
Speaker 8: I expect all my life, sir, and this inn was my favors before me.
Speaker 5: We're interested in some.
Speaker 2: Of the local beauty spot's, particularly McKinnon Castle.
Speaker 8: McKinnon Castle is no beauty spots. O Devil's Castle we call it. There isn't one of us in the village that wouldn't have been glad to see the ground open up and swallow the place.
Speaker 9: I and nevery McKinnon who lives there.
Speaker 4: Why are the McKinnon so hated, Tennis?
Speaker 8: There are no men, they're monsters. McKinnon thinks that because he owns the.
Speaker 4: Land, he owns the AIRMoN breathes too.
Speaker 8: And Black Angus is the biggest, blackest devil of them all.
Speaker 5: Black Angus you mean the present laird.
Speaker 8: Aye, And if he keeps up with his devil's work, you'll be the deadly before long.
Speaker 4: What's been going on, Tennis?
Speaker 6: It's the sheep dog, sir?
Speaker 8: Here about some man's sheep dog is his living And yet six more have been killed in the past two weeks, and all of the poor wheat beast is lying there on the moors with the throat's tonne.
Speaker 5: How can you blame McKinnon for that?
Speaker 8: Surely some animal, ye, sir, I an animal that stands on two feet? What are you suggesting, Tamas and suggesting nothing, sir, except those dead dogs all had human teeth marks on the throats.
Speaker 5: You insinuating into black anguses?
Speaker 2: Vampa, Oh no no, now, really, my dear fall.
Speaker 8: We've seen him at night when the moon was high, galloping across the moors on his big black horse, And the next morning there's always been a dead sheep dog.
Speaker 4: You've seen him yourself? Well, well, no, sir, but there are those that have.
Speaker 8: There's no mistaking him with his big coat flapping and his hat pulled down over his eyes.
Speaker 5: Wasn't it to old? No business?
Speaker 6: Interesting? Very interesting?
Speaker 8: Do you see that gentleman that just came in sitting by himself in the corner of yours?
Speaker 4: The man in the gray over court.
Speaker 8: Hye, his name's Humphreys. He can tell you more about the mckinnons than I can. He's a cousin of the family, and even though he's related and lives at the castle, he's as nice a gentleman as you meet up with.
Speaker 6: Thank you for the information, Thamas. I think perhaps we'll go and have a chat with him.
Speaker 4: Come on, Watson, Oh, thank you.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad to be of service, gentleman. Excuse me, mister Humphris. Hi, may we take the liberty of introducing ourselves. I'm Sherlock Holmes and this is my friend, doctor Watson.
Speaker 4: How do you know you own't you to do? Thank you.
Speaker 6: Thamas tells me you are a cousin of the mckinnons family.
Speaker 4: Am do you know them?
Speaker 2: We're particularly interested in one of them, mister Humphreys, Yes, in David McKinnon.
Speaker 6: David's a vera fine boy. You knew he wants to have been married in London yesterday?
Speaker 9: I knew that.
Speaker 2: Did you also know that just for his wedding he suddenly disappeared?
Speaker 10: Gentlemen, may I ask the reason for your interesting young David.
Speaker 6: That's a very fair question, sir. I have been asked by miss Victor David Science to try and find the young man.
Speaker 10: Oh, I see, it's a very unfortunate business, mister Humphreys.
Speaker 6: Shortly before the wedding yesterday, David McKinnon had a visitor in his hotel. They left together, presumably to catch the express Wiscontlin.
Speaker 7: Pomus Victor was a standard of the church that the little thing was heart broken.
Speaker 6: She would be mister Holmes.
Speaker 9: I wish I could help you in some way, But.
Speaker 6: You can, mister Humphreys, how by telling us what message you delivered today at his hotel yesterday that.
Speaker 4: I oh, come now, mister Humphries.
Speaker 6: The man seemed to be leaving the hotel with David was wearing a gray Raglan coat such as you are wearing.
Speaker 4: In addition, I observed as.
Speaker 6: We sat down that you're reading yesterday's edition of the London Times. Even if you subscribed to it, it couldn't have reached you here in Scotland through the post. This beeed an amazing home elementary, isn't.
Speaker 4: It, mister Humphreys.
Speaker 10: Well, I don't know about that, but your deduction is correct. Yes, yes, mister Holmes, I dig a return with David from London yesterday.
Speaker 4: What was the message you was sent to get him there?
Speaker 6: Asked? The message that decided him not to go through with his marriage.
Speaker 10: I'm afraid I can't answer that question, mister Holmes.
Speaker 9: Though I may tell you it's a.
Speaker 10: Family secret of the gravest importance.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 6: Well, in that case, our only recourse is to go to McKinnon Castle and pursue your inquiries there were.
Speaker 10: I imagine that would be best, gentlemen, but frankly I doubt if you'll gain admittance. Imus is a wilful man with a terrible temper, and when he knows you want to see David, we'll handle terrible men before, haven't we, Watson?
Speaker 2: Indeed, I remember that afternoon in Vegasy when doctor Grimsby worked picked.
Speaker 5: Up the poker.
Speaker 6: Yes, washon, you can regal mister Humphreys with that some other time. But now I think we'd best be starting for the castle.
Speaker 10: Mister Holmes, if by any chance you do see Anger, I must ask you not to mention that you've talked to me if he finds out there might be trouble.
Speaker 4: All right, mister Humphreys, Come on, Watson, y, I wish.
Speaker 2: I'd put some springs in this vehicle. It's worse than an Irish jondinker.
Speaker 6: Smas's directions is to be believed when he should see the castle.
Speaker 4: When we'll get to the press of this kill.
Speaker 2: This black Anger seems to be quite a lovable character. Even Humphreys is his cousin, seems to be terrified of him.
Speaker 7: Man was positively shaking.
Speaker 4: Yes, I noticed that. Ah, that must have the cattle. Now I just for bedding, looking place, isn't it is? Watson waining your horse work for me?
Speaker 7: What is it, Holmes?
Speaker 4: Look lying by the side of the road. Just a dead dog, Yes, a dead sheep dog. Come on.
Speaker 5: The dog's throat has been torn out.
Speaker 6: Yes, and look here, Watson. Look at these marks on the throat.
Speaker 2: Good Heaven's homes. They look like they are the marks of human teeth.
Speaker 4: Aye, gentlemen, is the lad at home?
Speaker 11: I'm sorry, sir, but the lad and the sheep people who would tell the appointments?
Speaker 4: And then will you please give him a message?
Speaker 6: But the two tell him that mister Charlock Holmes and doctor Watson have come here from London to see.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Good manner and tell him it's an a very important and confidential business.
Speaker 11: If you'll wait here in the hall, I'll give him the message, gentlemen, But you'll see, you'll know.
Speaker 5: See stupid olm any one think he owned the castle?
Speaker 6: Watson? Have a look at these two portraits.
Speaker 5: A couple of grim looking characters.
Speaker 9: Give me the creep.
Speaker 6: I think we may reasonably assume them Akin and ancestors do. Notice something odd about them?
Speaker 5: Who the men are smiling? Who call that smiling? Looks more like clearing to me.
Speaker 4: Whatever it is, it shows their teeth.
Speaker 6: Notice the abnormal length of the ie teeth.
Speaker 5: A choious the teeth marks on the dead sheep dog.
Speaker 4: Quite who he is? I won't.
Speaker 10: I won't be a problem.
Speaker 6: Black Anger seems to be living up to his name.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry, gentlemen, but the lead will miss see. He asked that you please leave at once, an understatement.
Speaker 4: You may tell him.
Speaker 6: I'm not leaving here until we've seen mister David McKinnon.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, moment, I'm David McKinnon.
Speaker 7: You are splendid. We've come here on behalf of I.
Speaker 4: Know way yet here, gentlemen, I must start that to leave it once. But miss Victor, you're here saying, after all, you know you heard my father's message. Please go.
Speaker 6: As for Miss Victor, I have no interest in hearing anything concerning her. Good day, Come Watson. I think perhaps our visit was ill timed.
Speaker 11: Be weey, Please, gentlemen, let's get away from here. I'm principle you don't care that David. I'd like to give him a good thrashing.
Speaker 6: It might be interesting to talk to David McKinnon when he's away from the influence of Black Angers.
Speaker 2: You're wasting your time. Homes a man's a boundery. Besides, they'll never let us in the house again.
Speaker 6: By the front door, true, however, opens to try the back leave your hatim coat in the bushes here, old chap rumple up your hair, dirty your face, and adopt that delightful Scottish dialect of yours.
Speaker 4: For the moment we will be plumbers.
Speaker 5: Plumbers? How do we know they need plumbers in.
Speaker 6: An old castle like this? You can always be sure of one fact. Something must inevitably be wrong with the drains. They always need plumbered homes.
Speaker 5: You think it's safe. I mean, if black Angust discovers us, he may be dangerous.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid that's the chance we'll have to take.
Speaker 6: Come along, Watson and try to look as much like a plumber as possible.
Speaker 1: In just a moment, Doctor Watson will continue the story of black Angers. But first, here's something which would certainly interest you men about Cremwell hair tonic. Cremwell is one of the greatest improvements ever made in the history of hair tonic. It's been especially developed to keep dry, unruly hair in perfect order all day long, always looking its best, with a nice, rich luster. Yet Kremmel never gives hair that objectionable, greasy patent leather. Look that kind of hair went out of Star with handlebar mustaches. No Kremmel goes in for modern handsome hair grooming, and it does lots more than just keep hair looking handsome. Kremmel removes dandr flakes. It also promptly relieves itching of dry scalp and leaves the scalp feeling so clean and alive. May I suggest that tomorrow, when you're out for your Sunday walk or drive, you stop and buy a bottle of Kremel at any drug counter.
Speaker 4: It's spelled k.
Speaker 1: R E m L Kremmel hair tonic. Why now, doctor Watson, did you and Sherlock Holmes manage to get into McKinnon Castle disguise this plumbing we did?
Speaker 2: Mister Bell Holmes was right about the drains. We were welcome to the service entrance with open arms. Figured that a speaking of course, we were shown down to the basement and left to our own devices.
Speaker 5: As soon as the coast was cleared.
Speaker 2: I found myself following Sherlock Holmes as he's stealthily mounted.
Speaker 5: In an old stone stairway. I must confess that my heart was in my mouth.
Speaker 6: The stairway should lead us up to the east wing, I'd say, And by the way, Watson, you make the most convincing plummer.
Speaker 5: Oh wrong garage.
Speaker 4: You know, if I wasn't.
Speaker 6: A light on the left door stor slightly adjure, come here, Watson wouldn't see through the crack.
Speaker 8: A man seated in front of the dressing table, staring into the mirror.
Speaker 6: Candlelights flickering. But I'll give you answer. That's black air. It's like this home. I don't like it. He met Holmes.
Speaker 5: He's got a revolver, he's raising it.
Speaker 4: Angus McKinnon. Put down that revolver? Who got deverlop you? My name is Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 5: A tall post.
Speaker 9: I throw you out this time.
Speaker 6: I'll do it. My cnya crying mister McKinnon, I know what you were thinking when you raised that revolve at your temple.
Speaker 4: Just now and believe me. You're wrong.
Speaker 9: You can't possibly know I think I do.
Speaker 6: You are convinced that you have been killing these sheep dogs. You have been so preoccupied with the legends of your great ancestor Wolf found McKinnon that you think that your brain has snapped and.
Speaker 4: That you've turned into a vampire.
Speaker 9: You're right, mister Holmes, but how you found out is beyond me. You know about the dogs, the sheep don't with their throats torn out?
Speaker 4: Yes, we know about them.
Speaker 5: Have we found on as we were driving out about a mile from here.
Speaker 9: I know they've brought me that you is not more than two hours ago. It won't happen again.
Speaker 4: You are convinced that you are responsible for these killings?
Speaker 9: What health can I think? All the evidence, the blood stains on mcloak, and I know those stains are not caused by human blood. You remember nothing, nothing, But when I think of a heritage at the mckinnons, how can I doubt?
Speaker 6: Then that's the reason your son was recalled from London yesterday.
Speaker 4: It suddenly had.
Speaker 6: Proof of what you thought to be your own morbid tendencies, and so you sent a message to your only son, warning him that he must not allow the woman he loved to marry into a family stained with madness.
Speaker 9: Holmes, you seem to understand my problem, but I will not discuss it with you. Go away, both of you. A McKinnon canna go to his meger before strangers.
Speaker 6: Mister McKinnon, give me your help in a few hours, Grace, and I am convinced I can prove to you that you're the victim of a devilish.
Speaker 9: Plot, a plot I don't understand.
Speaker 5: Come no, mister mc kinnan.
Speaker 2: In this year of grace, it's a little hard to believe in vampires.
Speaker 9: But how can you disprove the evidence I've seen with my own eyes? The human teeth?
Speaker 6: Might wouldn't be hard to conceive of an instrument that could simulate those marks, mister McKinnon.
Speaker 9: But who could think of such a fiendish plan? And what would be the votive?
Speaker 6: I have a suspicion, But what's more important that the immediate moment is to find the evidence. An instrument such as I've suggested would be damning proof. Therefore it would be hidden in the most secure hiding place in the castle. Now what would be the most secret place?
Speaker 5: The cellars?
Speaker 9: I we half extensive cellars.
Speaker 6: We'll search them. But another possibility occurs to me. In castles as old as this, there's often a secret room, or, as they were sometimes called, a priest's hole.
Speaker 9: You are quite right, mister Holmes. We have their hiding place here, though I haven't been in it for years. Another stairway leads down between the walls from an entrance behind that big cabinet.
Speaker 4: Splendidness McKinnon.
Speaker 9: You have a lantern there under dressing table.
Speaker 4: I like it, thank you, Watson.
Speaker 6: I have a strong suspicion that the solution of the postponed wedding ceremony, as well as that of the mangled dogs, lies at the foot of that secret stairway, a fell of real.
Speaker 5: Pleasure, the stool cobwebs okyoga. Though we've been down here recently, homes, I'd swear to that.
Speaker 6: Give me the lantern, Watson, will you awful?
Speaker 4: Thanks? Uh huh.
Speaker 6: Look here in the dust on the floor, footprints, footprints.
Speaker 5: Leading to that old chest in the corner over.
Speaker 6: The guess doesn't seem to be locked. Look, mister McKinnon, see this devil's instrument.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 9: That looks like a metal trap?
Speaker 4: It is with jaws of steel and a powerful.
Speaker 5: Spring of wood heavens, and.
Speaker 6: You can see the recent bloodstains on it. This fiendish instrument gives us the answer to those poor dead darms.
Speaker 7: You mean that this was used to tear off their throat?
Speaker 6: Undoubtedly? And look more devil's work.
Speaker 2: Right, it's got a human jaw bone with the teeth intact.
Speaker 6: This must have been used to leave the Prince of human teeth after the animals were dead.
Speaker 9: I have to try and make me think that I was madded foot shot.
Speaker 4: Somebody shot the lantern out of my hand.
Speaker 10: To inquisite it, Lockholme us, your cousin, my Humphreys.
Speaker 9: We fund you know what you.
Speaker 10: And your meddle and friends have found out. Angus soughtful of you to put yourselves in my power. The priest Dungeon will make up perfect cuffing for the three of you. I'm going to lock and bolted door at the head of the stairs. It's your own escape. I'm afraid death, fight, suffocation, and starvation will be very pleasant.
Speaker 9: My friend, I'm praised.
Speaker 10: I'm coming back up those stairs. I'm gonna get my hands on your horse, Stephanus, and I fire your.
Speaker 4: Your Oh whatsn't where are you?
Speaker 5: How is he?
Speaker 9: I'm all right, homes I think just please sacking match, Yes.
Speaker 5: Just a flesh wound. As far as I can say.
Speaker 6: Good McKinnon's another exit from the room.
Speaker 9: There is mister Holmes under that chest. The stone slides.
Speaker 5: Out gracious moment.
Speaker 9: Hampress Praise knows nothing about it. Some secrets of the McKinnon family are only interested to those bearing the family name.
Speaker 6: Thank heaven for And now I'd suggest we get out of here as soon as possible. The airing here is getting stale already. Lean on me, mister Muckinnon.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 9: How are you feeling a little shaky? But I'm all right, mister.
Speaker 2: Hawaen and places are we We've been following this little passage up and.
Speaker 5: Down, round and round.
Speaker 9: Right now we're behind the wall of the library. The entrance is ahead of us, conceived by a tapestrit. There's a faint crack of light. We're behind the tapestry.
Speaker 4: Someone's in the library.
Speaker 9: Boy, I don't know how.
Speaker 6: It's Humphreys and my son, David Dish.
Speaker 9: I was worried about those men from London.
Speaker 7: Sherlock Holmes should learn of the shame of the baby.
Speaker 10: I'm afraid I've got shocking news for you. Your father has confessed that he has been killing the sheep or father. He knows that he's mad. He left the castle just now with a pistol. He plans to kill himself, kill himself.
Speaker 4: We must start.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, my boy, let him go.
Speaker 4: It's the best way, poor father. What can I do?
Speaker 10: There's only one honorable solution. David, your branch of the family is corrupt, decayed. If your father dies and you disappear, the estate for reverts to me and we can save the mckinner name with fresh black. But uncle, you can't go to the colonies and start life over with a new name. It's the only way.
Speaker 4: We've heard enough. Come on, compressall lions, double file, he said the brother.
Speaker 6: We overheard your conversation, mister Humbres, most enlightening, and.
Speaker 9: We've found this where you're headed. Your health, the beast a human job on one, you're macked the dogs with it and trying to make me think that I've done at the sun. Then what he told me in London was nothing but a pack of life.
Speaker 6: Of course, mister McKinnon, I suggest you send for the police.
Speaker 10: The police, what crying can they hold me for a few sheep dogs killed and they can't prove I us responsible.
Speaker 2: There's there's a there's a mother of people outside the windows the.
Speaker 10: Mckinnisal excuse me, zippers, it's a crowd in the villagers really in an ugly mood. They say you're responsible for the sheep dogs being killed on the moors. They're threatening to burn the castle. I'm a feared of getting you to hand.
Speaker 9: Or back and tell them that. In a few minutes I come out and explain the calling die all right, But you know well I'll go and talk to them father.
Speaker 6: They know, mister Humphreys, possibles in law can do little toll, but the violence of mob rule may prove strikingly effective.
Speaker 10: I'll take this blagged Humphreys out there.
Speaker 9: They'll know what the away.
Speaker 10: You know you can't do that. You've got to keep me away from them to tell me the pieces.
Speaker 4: Sign a writing confession, mister Humphries, and we'll protect you.
Speaker 10: I'll sign anything, just keep you away from that mob. Yours suggested that my boys should go to the colonies. Put it in right that you don't just just give me a pin.
Speaker 6: Here you are, and now, Watson, I think we still have time to catch the Night Express for London.
Speaker 5: I hope we'll have.
Speaker 6: No difficulty in obtaining three tickets on such short notice. Three tickets, of course, I'm certain young David McKinnon will be accompanying us. I fancy we may be attending a wedding within a very few days.
Speaker 1: And did you, doctor Watson, did I want attend the wedding.
Speaker 5: Indeed we did, mister Bell. A matter of fact, Holmes acted as best man. It was a very.
Speaker 4: Chummy affair, I'm sure it was.
Speaker 1: And now, doctor Watson, what about next week?
Speaker 5: Well, let me see.
Speaker 2: Next week, I think I'll tell you a story called The Adventure of the Hungry Cat, in which Sherlock Holm saves an innocent man from the gallows and brings to justice a particularly vicious and cold blooded murderer.