Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: There was an absolutely tragic, awful story out of Baldwin Park just this weekend. A young Baldwin Park police officer was killed in a shooting late Saturday, also left a civilian dead another officer injured. Sheriff Luna gave the basics of what we knew later that night in a very late night news conference.
Speaker 3: Officers from the Baldwin Park Police Department responded to a calls for service of gunshots and a person down, and as the chief said, for these officers, they didn't hesitate. They get a dispatch, somebody may need help, their shots fired, they go right over there without hesitation. That's what these men and women do every day.
Speaker 2: Sheriff thus said that other officers then came in to help.
Speaker 4: After the shots were fired at the original.
Speaker 3: Other officers immediately went to their assistance. An officer involved shooting did occur at that time. I can't tell you how many officers fired at this time. That's still being investigated. How many shots were fired, that's all still being investigated. But the suspect was struck with gunfire and he was transported to a local hospital in stable condition.
Speaker 2: So again, Originally, when the call came in the nine one one, callers said, it didn't appear that this guy was shooting in any specific direction. He wasn't aiming at anyone or anything in particular. He's just peeling off shots. One of the neighbors across the street said he initially thought he was here in firecrackers. We hear that pretty commonly, but then saw this guy with a rifle still. The neighbor across the street called the man's grandmother she was apparently inside the house, and warned her to hide under a bed to not let her grandson back inside. The neighbor said grandma told grandma before going inside. His own home, he said he couldn't see any other part of what happened, but was obviously shaken up. This happened right next to his house. When the officers did show up, Officer Samuel Riveros and another officer, and they immediately traded shots with this guy. There was another person who was apparently shot. They just don't know the timeline of all of it. That other person hasn't been identified. Who was shot and dead on the street. In fact, this other neighbor said she came out after the shooting and saw the body.
Speaker 5: I came outside and then I saw a body playing on the floor and he didn't move.
Speaker 4: Robert Lopez is the chief of police there in Baldwin Park.
Speaker 6: It's extremely tragic. You have to deal with this. I asked for your prayers. I asked for the community to remember the officers and the deputies said go out there every day pushing a black and white making it safe for all of our families, our residents, and the community as well.
Speaker 2: So the tributes to Officer Riveros are pouring in. We've been seeing law enforcement officers from different agencies around southern California who have shown up to Baldwin Park Police headquarters for what has become sort of a growing memorial there for Samuel Riveros. In terms of the people who have talked about him, they said that he loved the Dodgers. They said he was an avid snowboarder. He became a law enforcement officer after he got a degree in criminology, Law and Society U c. Irvine, played lacrosse there. He mentored youth in Orange County as part of the Criminology outreach program, survived by a mother and a sister. Some of the co workers and neighbors by the way talked to a couple of different TV stations about this guy.
Speaker 7: I remember always seeing him smile and just loving to show up to work and just give it us all.
Speaker 5: As soon as I heard that there was a police officer that got shot at Walden Park, you know, me and my like friends that worked with him or worked together were like, Oh my gosh, I just I hope it's not Sam.
Speaker 4: I hope it's not Sam, because he was one of our favorites.
Speaker 5: You know, he's just so sweet and just just a great person.
Speaker 7: To see one of our own, you know, hear.
Speaker 4: The tragedy is just heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: So at this point, they haven't said the specifics of a memorial, although there were reports this morning that memorial for Officer Riveros will probably be held some time late this week Friday.
Speaker 4: It's kind of what they're looking for.
Speaker 2: We'll definitely bring you details about that, because this is, you know, a thirty five year old officer was still way too young. Any officers too young to be killed in the line of duty like that. This suspect. By the way we did Mention was shot and is recovering. Suffered some min wounds after being shot by officers before they were able to take him into custody. There is a brand new computer program that should make you bang your head against a wall.
Speaker 4: Summers around the corner.
Speaker 2: The California Department of Office of Emergency Services has put out a new map. I will tell you how much money this map costs, and it will make you bang your head against the wall even more. Why we need a new heat ranking tool for our warm summers in California.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 7: So this comment is to you, Jerry, I don't hear you.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, did he say, Jerry.
Speaker 7: Well, this comment is to you, Jerry, I don't hear you condemning Ukraine on attacking Russia and taking things to new levels now and continuing the war, extending it further and further. But I guess we know now where you stand.
Speaker 4: Oh, got me? I guess Jerry?
Speaker 2: Why I don't understand that mentality that Ukraine doesn't have the opportunity to defend itself. That's something I don't quite understand about that whole argument, But anyway, Gavin Newsom made a big announcement on Friday. Gavin Newsom has announced the launch of col Heat Score. The Office of Emergency Services says that this is a cutting edge tool to forecast and rank heat severity risks in the state of California. Yes, a couple couple of weeks before summer actually officially starts here in California and everywhere, But this breathless announcement doesn't make a whole lot of sense to make just.
Speaker 8: Launched a new ranking system, first in the nation, to deal with extreme heat, similar to what we do in categories with hurricanes and tropical storms. California's new Heat Score will be a six code level heat map to prepare to deal with the impacts of extreme heat, to provide resources and have a resourceful mindset to keep people safe. The number one cause of weather related death is extreme heat. So please take it serious and please take a look at the Heat score website.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a website, it's not necessarily an app, but it is used in the same way. And they say that this cal Heat Score identifies groups most susceptible to extreme heat. Do you know who that is, Well, yeah, it's the oldest people and the youngest people, and who are the least likely to go onto a website to check how warm it's going to be exactly the oldest people and the youngest people. All so, it says the tool, and I hate the way that people write this. There's got to be a complete retooling of press release writing quote. The tool additionally integrates other important data sets like locations for the nearest cooling centers. We make fun we hear on the show, and I think a lot of people make fun of local television listen.
Speaker 4: I will say there are radio stations who do it too.
Speaker 2: When the heat is going to be triple digits, well, guess what. In the twenty years that I've lived here in southern California, the valley always hits triple digits in the summer, always, and we always do stories about stay in the shade, make sure you wear light clothing. Maybe you'd take a time to go see a movie in the heat of the day, go to a pool, stay hydrated, check.
Speaker 4: On your older neighbors.
Speaker 2: Those are the it's lazy, lazy reporting when people do that. If you need to tell people that it's going to be triple digit temperatures. Tell people it's going to be triple digit temperatures. Don't give them, in this case, this cow heat score thing. Don't give them a one to four scale of how hot it's going to be, because that's not going to change anybody's behavior. How much, oh how much is what you're at? How much did it cost? That's a great question. Approximately thirty million dollars. Now there are discrepancies. I've seen one that it was twenty three million just for the col Heat Score, but the Office of Emergency Services release also says that there was an additional thirty two point four million dollars to support several different California communities in life saving extreme heat mitigation efforts. There is a program called the Extreme Heat and Community Resilience Program to combat dangerous heat exposure by building long lasting infrastructure solutions. I can't get through this. I just can't read through this. And they refer to this as a first in the nation heat ranking tool. Well, since I started in the business of news twenty five thirty years ago, I've constantly kept up on weather.
Speaker 4: For some reason.
Speaker 2: That's what everybody wants to ask about they think I know the answer to it.
Speaker 4: I'm flattered that you think I know.
Speaker 2: And I do make a habit of keeping an eye on what the weather's going to be like, but more out of curiosity than anything.
Speaker 4: And you know how I do that.
Speaker 2: One of three different weather apps I have on my phone, or a couple of different websites that you can go to very quickly, or the television station or the actual thermometer that's outside your house. You can do all of those things. You don't need a thirty two million dollar program to tell you that it's going to be hot in California. The Director of the Office of Emergency Services says, this helps increase our readiness for heat events and protect those at greatest risk. Or it was a way to spend thirty two million dollars that wasn't your money.
Speaker 4: There's also that.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where, yes, we talk about government waste, and we talk about fraud, and we talk about abuse, but we also talk about things that the government is not great at. The government is now replicating something that has existed in the private sector for decades, and that is weather forecasting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, there are huge the.
Speaker 2: Backbone of weather forecasting is the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association and the National Weather Service. Yes they're required, Yes they're important. But the idea that somehow California is going to shed some light on how hot it's going to be in July and that they believe that that thirty two million dollars is going to save someone's life is a stretch to me, to put it easily, to put it lightly, it's a stretch. We've talked about Kamala Harris and this decision upcoming whether or not she's going to run for governor. Spoiler alert, She's totally going to run for governor, but there are people who say, yeah, do that, run for governor. Stay out of the national spotlight. We'll explain sort of this ongoing discussion about her future in the Democratic Party coming up next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Sad Death as well. Emmy winning composer whose music was absolutely essential for the TV show The Simpsons for twenty seven years, has died. Alf Clawson if you remember the name from the credits, of course, he died after a pretty lengthy deal with Parkinson's.
Speaker 4: He was eighty four years old.
Speaker 2: He also scored a bunch of different TV series Moonlighting alf he used to say no relation. He was nominated for thirty Emmy Awards. One of those nominations came while he was working for The Simpsons h and he won. He won two Emmys during his lifetime.
Speaker 9: Hey, Jerry and Sharon, it's crazy to me that that one guy called up almost defending the illegal guy from Egypt, and then the other guy that just took the view that Ukraine doesn't have a right to defend himself. It's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 4: It's a crazy Monday. Perhaps that's Gary.
Speaker 8: For some reason.
Speaker 4: Today it seems like the idiots are out in force and they're all calling your station, your show. Hopefully I'm not one of them. Well, have a good rest to your show.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 4: Thank you appreciate that, Gary, I mean Gary, I mean Gary, I really enjoyed the show.
Speaker 1: Crack.
Speaker 7: You know, because he's not the only one that has called you Jerry.
Speaker 4: Don't you remember when you had Robert Kennedy jr Arry too.
Speaker 8: A good day?
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We did have RFK Junior on during the campaign and he called me Jerry. That's a you know, I guess it's a badge of honor, if you will. So this weekend in Anaheim, Democrats got together for their state convention, and about a half a dozen different candidates for governor, at least the ones who have announced, kind of went from room to room, glad handing, talking with each other, talking with the potential supporters. We're talking Katie Porter, the congresswoman, former congresswoman, former mayor Via Ragosa, former Health and Human Services secretary, but Sarah a handful of others of Lady Cunelacis and Tony Atkins and Betty Yee, all of them out there kind of shaking hands, kissing babies, that sort of thing, getting ready for what will be a pretty contentious, especially on the Democrat side, a pretty contentious campaign for governor next year. The one person missing, I mean, she did make an appearance in a video, but the one person missing from that whole team was Kamala Harris. The people who are closest to her continue to say that she'll decide if she's going to run for governor by late summer, and I keep telling you the spoiler alert is she is going to run.
Speaker 4: For governor, because what else is she going to do.
Speaker 2: She has been very low key though, and some Democrats are happy about that, some are not happy about that. And if you Washington posted series of did a series of interviews with people that were at the party convention this weekend in Anaheim and asked specifically about sort of the elephant that wasn't in the room. Pardon the bad pun, because I know the elephant. The donkey doesn't matter, but she wasn't there. She did, in a video message on Saturday encourage people to keep fighting Republicans, fight their efforts to cut healthcare, fight to cut education or all of that stuff. And a lot of people cheered, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they support whatever she's got going on. Next, to make that point, there was a woman who canvassed for Kamala Harris in Reno and Las Vegas during the campaign and says in the answer to the question of whether she would be a good governor, this woman said, I think she'd be fine. That's not a rousing endorsement by anyway. I think she'd be fine, and then asks she's already been a state leader, right, well, yeah, because she was an attorney general. She said, it's just that she lost the presidential race, and she's been almost gone.
Speaker 4: We don't hear from her, we don't see her.
Speaker 2: And this woman describes herself as a sixty three year old professor, and again she canvassed for Kamala Harris, she said, and she wants to see a more quote unapologetically progressive nominee for governor in the state of California, which is crazy considering how progressive each of these candidates is going to claim to be in order to get to the top of the primary. This sixty three year old professor says, if Kamala Harris runs, she hopes she's gonna get some fire outside the trappings of a presidential campaign, because she really just needs to be herself. There are different people who had suggested that even if she wasn't the perfect presidential candidate. There was another one who said that obviously she expects to see some fresh scrutiny on a. Kamala Harris's record as attorney general. She did say coming back to California as a whole other story. She has history here, and the expectation, at least spot from that voter potential supporter is she would blow the other six or so Democrats out of the water. Now that's the California version. There was something else that was going on in South Carolina this weekend as well, because the South Carolina Party convention was this weekend and she also played a role in that one. We'll explain what happened in South Carolina when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that this weekend there were two separate state Democrat conventions, one in Anaheim for California Democrats and one in Columbia, South Carolina for Democrats in that state. And one of the big names that was not present at either one of them, but was talked about plenty was Kamala Harris and what she's going to be doing going forward. A lot of people, a lot of money, I think is probably the more important way to put it. A lot of money is on the sidelines right now in the California governor's race, because you've got a handful of people on the Demo's side who have announced that they are going to be running for governor. A couple of them, think Javier Bursera Antonio vir Ragosa have said they will not get out if Kamala Harris jumps in, even though it's pretty likely that she would. But the fundraisers, the money behind those campaigns, they have been keeping pretty quiet. They're not making big splashes with giant donations to anyone yet because I think they are all waiting for an official announcement from Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: One person who was at both of those conventions because of a very long travel day, was Kamala Harris's running mate, Governor Tim Walls, and he tries to be this guy who pulls no punches when it comes to explaining what's wrong with the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: We for some reason are like super cautious that we might say something that offends somebody. We might say something that offends the Republicans.
Speaker 3: Because of the way they're acting. You can't appease dictators.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of people, at least in California, as I mentioned in the last segment, who are kind of on the fence about Kamala Harris. And I thought the one point I didn't make in the first one segment was some people believe that if she does run for governor, she's then immediately going to turn around and run for president. In twenty twenty eight get back up on that ticket, despite the fact that she did historically underperform against Donald Trump in California. I think she listen, she beat him. She beat Trump in California, that's obvious. But she only beat him by twenty points. Joe Biden beat him by thirty points.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 2: Was it her candidacy, was it the Biden presidency? What was it that caused that to happen? And is she able to recover from that and get back on the top of the ticket. Not everybody believes that that's the case. In South Carolina, there was an interesting attitude of you did your job as vice president, you took over the Democratic ticket when Biden's step down, and you lost, so you had your shot. And again, this is what some people in South Carolina are saying. They want her to run for governor in South Carolina. I mean they want her in South Carolina to run for governor in California because, and this is the way one Democratic strategist put it, I think she should run for governor and be the best governor California has ever had, because they wanted to be a graceful exit from the national stage that there are some Democrats who are willing to come out and publicly say thank you for your service. It's someone else's turn that you historically underperformed, even what Joe Biden perhaps might have had if you were to have stayed in the race. I don't know if that's the case. You can never you know, you can't prove a negative like that. You can't prove something that's super unknown. But I thought that was interesting that in the different states, South Carolina and California, there are similar attitudes about what they're going to do going forward with Kamala Harris, what do you do with a problem like Kamala? All right, coming up, swamp Watch, we'll talk about some stuff going on in DC and a reminder, leave us a talkback.
Speaker 4: Tell us what's wrong with youth sports today.
Speaker 2: Are you in the midst of travel ball season right now, wrapping it up, getting into the regional playoffs and things like that.
Speaker 4: Let us know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Just to hit that little button when you're listening on the app and it sends us a message right in here.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI Am six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.