Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio, we defining local news. Hello Monday, six o'clock and welcome aboard. My name's Jeff Brown. I'll be taking care of you this morning. And the News at six is brought to us by your new England Toyota dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. We're waking up with cloudy skies and occasional showers. It is fifty one here in Boston. Thanks for joining us this morning, and you know they can't all be winners, right. Lots of clouds today and a couple of showers, Temperatures in the sixties, cougar and breezy Tomorrow On is WBZ achiweather meteorologist Joe Lundberg. Seasonably cool temperatures for much of the week, but sunshine does return tomorrow. President Biden tours Florida this weekend to get an up close look at the devastation from Milton and calls on Congress to come back to Capitol Hill to vote on providing more funding from FEMA. Meantime, FEMA issues an emergency evacuation order to its rescue teams working in Rutherford County, North Carolina. The Washington Post reports this morning The move is made over concern of threats from an armed militia in North Carolina. Officials say they can verify the militia's message, but also say it does not appear to be credible. A funeral is sent for this morning for Ethel Kennedy, the matriarch of the Kennedy family, wife of Robert F. Kennedy and mother to eleven children, died last week following complications of a stroke. A funeral mass will be held this morning at eleven an hour Lady of Victory Church in Centreville on Cape Cod its invitation only. Ethel Kennedy never remarried. After the assassination of her husband on the presidential campaign trail in nineteen sixty eight. Ethel Kennedy was ninety six. May Day give some hope to Patriots fans. Smooth going instead Tex Down CDs Sports with the call, even though it is a five game losing streak for the Pats, they will take their show on the road to London next weekend. Sunday Night Football, the Bengals top the Giants, and in Monday Night Football it's Buffalo at the Jets and the Dodgers throw blanks again. A shutout for the third straight game. It's time to take a one game to none lead over the Mets in the National League Championship Series. It's the nightmare before Halloween. People on the North Shore say they've had it with heavy traffic getting into and out of Salem during the city's Haunted Happenings this month, City officials say they expect more than a million people will visit the region's festival, and for many in surrounding communities, it seems like a million every day. Salem's mayor continues to urge people to take public transportation, and with Halloween just a couple of weeks away, it's time to stock up on the candy. But have you seen these prices? Nobody pc Drew moholland to see her with an update. Good morning Andrew, Good morning Jeffy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Halloween spending is twenty twenty four is expected to reach eleven point six billion dollars. That seems like a lot, doesn't it, And that is according to the National Retail Federation.
Speaker 3: Great Holiday, Yeah holiday.
Speaker 2: To what Bill Belichick's going to be doing for Halloween.
Speaker 1: He's on to Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Early shopping is on the rise. To Jeffrey forty seven percent of you started buying that candy and all the other Halloween stuff before October.
Speaker 1: It's amazing what Halloween has become. Yeah, I've done it too, actually really Yeah, it's almost like it's part of the holiday season now, right.
Speaker 2: I know, you know what the problem is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you eat the candy. Yeah, well, I don't know there's a problem. Depends on your perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tricky all right.
Speaker 1: Holiday Monday here in Boston, and it's the final day of the Topsfield Fair. Looks like people who will be visiting the fair, the oldest in the country, will might get wet this morning. We do have occasional showers out and about, and cool air is dominating. In fact, right now it's just fifty one degrees. It's actually a little bit warmer than yesterday afternoon, when temperatures in many areas dipped into the mid forties. So we'll get a little bit milder today into the mid fifties and a couple of showers around this morning. It'll clear up this afternoon. We are expecting to see some sunshine as we get extremely close to sixty degrees later today. Overnight tonight mainly clear, dropping back into the forties and fifties, and sunshine returns tomorrow. Seasonably cool temperatures for much of the week as well, with higes mainly in the fifties, and it looks like sun is going to take us right through Thursday, with a warming trend kicking in on Friday, just in time for the weekend. So we're heading in the right direction. Just right now. We do have occasional showers this morning, and otherwise cloudy and a raw feel to the air. It's fifty one here in Boston on this Monday morning at six oh six. Federal officials say they likely stopped a third assassination attempt against Donald Trump during a campaign rally in California. The FBI and the Secret Service have arrested a suspect caught with illegal weapons in his vehicle. Official say the man will face federal gun charges, but the former president was not in any danger. Meantime, there is a little more than three weeks to go until election day, and the race is as tight as it gets.
Speaker 4: CBS polling shows the race for the White House a toss up, with Vice President Kamala Harris up three points over Trump nationwide, one to forty eight percent. That's one point tighter from last month, and the seven battleground states that will decide the election, it's just one point difference fifty to forty nine.
Speaker 1: That CBS's Jureka duncan here. In Massachusetts, a recent survey from The Boston Globe and Suffolk University finds an overwhelming majority of people planned to vote for Kamala Harris, but voters are also in the Elizabeth Warren campaign as well. The Senator and the GOP challenger John Deaton will square off in the first of two debates this week. Tomorrow night is sponsored by our friends at WBZTV, and you can catch that debate beginning at eight thirty right here on WBZ News Radio or on the go with the iHeartRadio app. It's an epic fail for Bath and body Works this morning. The company apologizes for a candle that it says is supposed to feature a snowflake on the label that critics say looks an awful lot like a ku Klux klan hood. Social media posts have taken to calling it the Klandell in fact, but for the company known for its high scent candles and all things warm and fuzzy, this misses the mark. The company has removed the product from its stores.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Who would have figured looking at leaves could be a near death experience. Foliage season is at its peak and much of New Hampshire and Lookie Loose on the long holiday weekend find themselves in a bit of trouble at Lost Trail and were basically stuck in a drainage in a brook with no lights, no water and extremely cool authorities with New Hampshire Fish and Game to the rescue time and time again this weekend. After at least seven rescues Saturday alone on New Hampshire Trails and New this morning, MIT step right up. The Nobel Prize in Economics has been awarded.
Speaker 3: Namoglo MIT, cam Bridgehuison Simon Johnson MIT, Cambridge, USA, and James rob Meisson University of Chicago, USA for studies OHI institutions are formed and affect prosperity.
Speaker 1: And that brings an end to the sixth day Nobel Prize stivities this year. You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's news radio