Speaker 1: You are groping down a dark alleyway in the French Quarter of New Orleans, driven by terror, hounded by the curse of the Populoi, a curse from which there is no escape.
Speaker 2: Escape produced by William N. Robeson and carefully contrived to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: To today, we escape into two worlds, one of modern jazz, the other of primitive voodoo, and to a doomed man who brought them together, as William irashagend that in his eerie story, Papa Benjamin.
Speaker 3: All his Police Department Fourth Precinct, Sergeant Tolliver speaking, Yeah, yeah, well pick him up on a drunk seventy two three?
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, what can I do for you?
Speaker 5: Are you in charge here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Hey, aren't you Eddie Block the band leader? That's right, hey, Joe, lookers here Eddie Block.
Speaker 1: Well, never thought we'd get a visit from a big celebrity like you, mister Block, and at four o'clock and them, I suppose though, this is just a shock of evening for a big shot orchestra lead.
Speaker 4: It Hell, what can we do for you, mister Block?
Speaker 5: I've just killed him man, you're kidding. I tell you, I've just killed him.
Speaker 3: Man, I guess you've been working too hard. Mister Blockie, you imagining thing.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's the gunen look at him.
Speaker 4: Sit down, better, have a drink of water. You'll feel better.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I'm all right.
Speaker 6: This gun has been used all right, smell.
Speaker 4: Mm wasn't an accent, mister block No who to use it on? Who was it?
Speaker 5: I don't know his name. They call him Papa Benjamin sounds.
Speaker 4: Like a white man. No, he was a Negro well now in Orleans.
Speaker 5: I no, no, there was nothing like that.
Speaker 4: What was he doing to you?
Speaker 5: He was killing me, killing Look at me. I used to wait two hundred pounds, I'm down to one hundred and two.
Speaker 4: But how how was he killing you?
Speaker 5: Would you believe in anything you can't see, can't here, can't touch. I've been to the biggest doctors in the world. They don't believe me. How can I expect you to. We'll simply say I'm cracked and let it go with that. I don't want to spend the rest of my life in her silent Look.
Speaker 4: Mister black you say he was a Negro named Papa bench.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, an old old man eighty maybe ninety, skin and bones. He could hardly walk, and I shot him.
Speaker 4: You sure you sure you killed him?
Speaker 7: Yes? Of course?
Speaker 5: Oh where I don't know exactly. And middle back alley in the view Carrie near Congo Square.
Speaker 4: Suppose you take us there? Can you do that?
Speaker 3: Then maybe we'll find out this is just a bad dream.
Speaker 5: This is the alley to the right between the buildings.
Speaker 6: Alright, let's go.
Speaker 4: You pack sard, catch cold without it.
Speaker 8: Don't go back there, honey by you cops.
Speaker 6: A nice neighborhood.
Speaker 7: This is it?
Speaker 5: In that door and up the stairs. I'm on, no, no, don't make me go.
Speaker 6: Up there again.
Speaker 1: Please, better comments to Block. You're showing a flash of light.
Speaker 4: Somebody on the stairs.
Speaker 6: He won't bother dead drunk and step over him. And let's go. This net the most pleasant neighborhood to come calling.
Speaker 7: This is it?
Speaker 5: Yes, in that door?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, better call a commissioner. Mister Block wasn't a kid, and this man stayed.
Speaker 9: But why why?
Speaker 5: Because he was killing me?
Speaker 4: Commissioners, then it was self defense.
Speaker 5: He never came near me once. I was the one who went to him. I offered him three ten thousand any of him out, and he refused. I offered him my gun and asked him to shoot me with her to get it over with quickly and not to drag it out any longer.
Speaker 4: Then when he said no, you shot it.
Speaker 5: So you can lock me up.
Speaker 10: Now, mister Block, do you think we want to hang a murder rap on you one of the most popular celebrities in the United States?
Speaker 4: Use your head trying to find him out for you?
Speaker 5: He was killing me.
Speaker 10: Look an eighty old colored man who's so feeble they can't even go upstairs by himself, who has to have his food pull it up to him in a basket, is killing who? A stumblebum his own age? No, mister Eddie Block, the top band lead of America, who can name his own price anyway, who has about everything a man can want. Tell me just one thing, mister Block.
Speaker 9: How was he killing you?
Speaker 5: I thinking thought waves of death that reached me through the air.
Speaker 4: Now, mister Block, you surely don't.
Speaker 5: You want to hush the whole thing up, don't you?
Speaker 10: No, mister Block, No, but I'm going to get the whole story, so you might as well start telling me from the beginning, all right.
Speaker 5: It began one night, about two years ago, we were playing at Maxim's on Charles Street. We were just another band, small Dixie Land outfit. Then Heady blocking his chips, Judy Jarvis, my wife did the vocals, but we weren't setting the world on fire. Business was so bad, I know what to expect. When I got a call from the manager one night after closing time.
Speaker 7: I'm in.
Speaker 11: Ahi, Eddie, I thought we better have a little talk.
Speaker 5: It's that bad. Huh.
Speaker 11: Hey took in forty five hundred this week.
Speaker 5: I see. And you can cancel my contract anytime it falls under five thousand. I get it.
Speaker 11: Eddithing can get the same liquor and sandwiches anywhere, but they'll go where the band has something. Tonight there were more waiters in the place than they were customers. Judy didn't even get a hand.
Speaker 5: It's not her fault.
Speaker 11: It's not her fault. She's okay, But I'm asking you what's wrong.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I'm getting the latest arrangement sent to me from New York. We sweat our heads bold or rehearsing. Well, this is New Orleans, practically the cradle of jazz. You got to give them.
Speaker 7: Something new.
Speaker 5: When away leave.
Speaker 11: Well, finish the week up, see if you can do something about it by Monday. Not I'll have to work, say Louis to get Kruger's band. I'm sorry, Eddie.
Speaker 5: But it's all right. It's okay you're not running a charity bazaarre. But I didn't feel so cocky about it. It looked like we were on the skids. The band just didn't seem to have it, and I wasn't good enough to figure out why and pull them out of it. I was feeling pretty low when I went back to the deserted bandstand to pick up some music. The place was dark and empty except for a couple of scrub women cleaning up. A dark nightclub can be an eerie place sometimes. I got that feeling just before I saw it. I saw it lying there on the floor between the stands. It was a severed chicken claw with a red ribbon tight around it. I almost laughed out did that thing get there? Then I picked it up and tossed it out on the floor where a scrub woman were cleaning up. He certainly wasn't expecting the reaction I got. He took one look, they turned and ran out. I just recovered from that surprise and was bending down to pick up some music that had slipped to the floor when I heard someone come in. I guess I was pretty well hidden from view anyway, he didn't see me. It was Johnny Stats, my drummer, and he was acting funny. He looking intently at the floor, searching for something. Suddenly he spotted this chicken claw on the floor and grabbed it up with a terrific sigh of relief, stuffed it into his pocket and walked out. What I did then, I did on a strange impulse, and it changed the whole course of my life. I followed Johnny Stads. I suppose I just meant to catch up with him and have a cup of coffee with him somewhere and ask him about the chicken cloth. But as I followed him farther and farther down into the view carrie down the Congo Square, it was a growing curiosity that kept me on his trail. When he turned into that dark alleyway, I stopped and debated. I felt like an eavesdropper, and yet something drew me on and I walked up that dark alley. I passed that one lighted window.
Speaker 8: I told you before, don't go back there, honey.
Speaker 5: But I went on throw a sort of tunnel into another alleyway, and then I stopped. Ahead of me, Johnny Stad stood before a dark, dismal looking old wreck of a building. Suddenly he whistled. A gigantic man appeared from out of the shadows. Johnny had it in the chicken claw, and he was motioned into the building. And then I heard sounds coming from the upstairs of that building. A throbbing drum, a wailing, an unearthly sound, and yet wonderful, an exotic, fascinating rhythm. This was music, something new, something sensational, something that would set New Orleans on its ear and put Eddie Block in the big time. I had to get in there and hear it. I was mighty busy for the next five minutes. I ran back down the alley, overturning five or six garbage cans before I found what I needed. Then back to that lighted window in the alley and a five spot in exchange for a red ribbon. Then I was back at the dark building, walking up to that menacing shadow.
Speaker 7: Right up, let me see your face.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, easy with that knife, My.
Speaker 7: Ribs are tender. Your face not been here before.
Speaker 5: My friend Johnny stats up there.
Speaker 7: He'll tell you, missus, Johnny, old friend. Yes, you'll come.
Speaker 1: Here this chicken claw tell me to come, Papa Benjamin send you there.
Speaker 5: Certainly you'll make me late. Papa Benjamin wouldn't like that.
Speaker 7: Alright, go along here. First thing you know, all know or is got me come round.
Speaker 5: I groped up the stairs, half expecting to feel his knife in my back, but I got to the top safely. Cautiously, I opened the door.
Speaker 9: And slip.
Speaker 5: Conto conto. The room was full of people. They were in such a state of frenzy I wasn't even noticed. I slipped into a corner and slid down by the wall, sitting on the floor. It was a sight I'll never forget. Wild, fantastic, hideous, revolting. Fascinating in the center of the room was an incredibly old man, naked to the waist, wearing a hideous mask and holding a live chicken. There was wild gestures, weird incantations, frantic dancing and shouting and rolling of eyes, and there was blood, and always there was the chat. Nobody noticed me. After a moment, I took a piece of copy paper out of my pocket and began putting down the notes. It was wonderful, fantastic and wonderful. In ten minutes, I had it, and I'd seen enough enough for a lifetime of light backs. I began to feel sick and I wanted to get out. I started to stand up. Suddenly the room and dead strange joys here his boning arm stretched out straight from the shoulder, pointing at me like an arrow, and I was blood on it.
Speaker 9: What you do here, I, Papa Loy, I know this man?
Speaker 4: Let me find out.
Speaker 5: No one moved. There was no sound in the room as Johnny's stats came over and squatted beside me. You're in terrible trouble, Addie. I don't know if I can get you out of it. What is this status? And what are you doing here?
Speaker 12: There's no time to talk now. You've got to do something quicker. You'll be a dead man.
Speaker 5: Why I'm in the very heart of New Orleans. They wouldn't.
Speaker 12: Dear listen, you've seen enough tonight. You know better, Eddie, is only one way what join become one of us.
Speaker 5: It's the only way, Eddie. I can't save you.
Speaker 12: And you'd better hurry up. Unless you do, you'll never get out of here alive. You know what this is, don't you. This is voodoo.
Speaker 5: Okay, sure, I'll join up.
Speaker 6: Why not? Await a minute, Eddie.
Speaker 5: There's a lot more to it than you think.
Speaker 12: Unless you're serious that it'd be better to get cut to pieces right now.
Speaker 5: I don't worry.
Speaker 4: I'm serious, all right, Papa Loi. His spirit wishes to join our spirits.
Speaker 5: The old man burned some feathers while the others watch silently.
Speaker 1: Then he nodded, came out all right.
Speaker 7: He reads them the spirits of Willy.
Speaker 5: There were other things, ritual ceremonies, another sacrifice. Then half of the channing started again. They brought me the sacrificial bull. I didn't have to be told what was in it. I started to draw back. Drink any drink it, I'll tell you on the spot. Late next morning, the band assembled at Maximus for a rehearsal. When Johnny Stats got there, he found another drummer sitting in his place. Naturally, he came to me.
Speaker 4: And what's all this about, Eddie.
Speaker 5: I don't want any voodoo lover in my band, That's all Stats. Here's a check for two weeks, Sally, So you're crossing Amaya brother. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes for all the gold and fort knocks. Hell? Have you mean that bad dream last night? And I haven't told anybody, and I won't I be laughed at. I'm only remembering what I can use of it. The jungle is just trees to me, the Congoa River and nighttime just time for electric lights.
Speaker 9: With this new number you're going to rehearse this morning.
Speaker 5: I said I'd remember what I can. You listen, Eddy, that.
Speaker 4: Chat is sacred secret. It was secret edy, don't do it.
Speaker 5: Look, here's a couple of c notes hand to these that ought to pay my dues up from now to doomsday. And I don't want to receipt. And if they try putting poison to my orange juice, they'll end up on a chain.
Speaker 9: It's not that easier.
Speaker 5: You're one of us now, Oh, get out, okay, goodbye dead Man. Graham, the manager of the club changed his mind about canceling our contract when he heard us rehearse the chant. Instead, he spent five g's in publicity, and Saturday night was set for the big unveiling. Seemed like all New Orleans, tried to jam at the Maxims came to hear the Voodoo Champ the real thing. Just before we were ready to hit it, Judy came.
Speaker 8: Up to me, Eddie, listen, let's not do it.
Speaker 5: What do you mean, maybe not do it? Well, this is it. This is our ticket to the big time. It'll be a sensation, I know, but I.
Speaker 13: Got a funny feeling, Eddie. And look I found this in the addressing room door just a little while ago. It sounds like a warning. Somebody doesn't want you to play that number.
Speaker 6: He said.
Speaker 5: You can summon the spirits, but can you dismiss them again? Think well, hm, oh, forget it.
Speaker 7: Baby.
Speaker 5: Stats is trying to scare me because I fired him. Come on, let's go.
Speaker 6: There.
Speaker 14: Takes a great pleasure in bringing you a historic moment in musical history. You're about to hear for the first time anywhere, the Voodoo chat the aj Oe ceremonial rhythm.
Speaker 7: No one but the initiated has ever hurt before.
Speaker 15: This is the real thing, Lady gentleman, an accurate transcription, got a notice been changed. H So now any Block and his chips present for the first time anywhere, the Goodoo chaps.
Speaker 5: It was a sensation and they went crazy at the screamed for more. But we were playing a kag once a night. That'd pack him in. After it was over, I went back to our dressing room. Judy got there before me. She was reading a newspaper somebody had brought in. Ed, baby, you were wonderful. We wound him. We're in the money now, yeah, Eddie, But boy, boy, am I tired. I feel more tired than I've ever felt in my life. Nervous train, I guess, huh, let them you're in the paper. Who cares about the paper?
Speaker 8: Now, Eddie? It's Johnny's steps. He's dead. He drowned himself, and let push a train this.
Speaker 5: Afternoon, this afternoon. But then that note. It wasn't Johnny.
Speaker 8: Oh Eddie, look, you can't blame yourself.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, no, no, of course not. But I think I know WHO'DU blame.
Speaker 8: What do you mean nothing, nothing, Eddie? Wouldn't you lie down and rest for a few minutes? You look worn out?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: I am right, I feel dead.
Speaker 8: Here. Let me take off your coat.
Speaker 1: Oh be careful, what's me?
Speaker 5: I don't know a funny thing? But I was waving the batana, and in the chat I felt something, a sharp pain in my back, like a pin of something stucky.
Speaker 8: I don't feel anything there now. Maybe it's slipped down.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 13: Couldn't have been much there. Now, you just lie down, you'll feel better in a few minutes.
Speaker 8: You've been working too hard, Eddie. You should relax now and maybe take a few days off. Hey, Eddie, look here, where'd this come from.
Speaker 13: It's a little doll that was lying on the dressing table. Why, Eddie, it looks just like you.
Speaker 5: Let me sing.
Speaker 13: Now, that's funny. Look there in the back, there's a little pin sticking in the bag.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's right where I felt the pain that started. Next day, I had a backache. Later there was a numbness that spread to my shoulders, arms, and legs. I felt tired all the time, listless dead. I began to lose weight. I couldn't get Johnny's statz out of my mind. He'd introduced me to them, vouched for me, and he'd committed suicide. He knew he hadn't waited. I decided to get out of New Orleans. I went to New York playing the chat. Of course, I had to it was my biggest asset now, but nothing changed. I was losing weight from a husky two hundred down to one hundred and sixty, and I couldn't sleep. Maybe if I put a notion between I took an offer in London, toured the Connolly Away a year. I was an international hit, now, the biggest attraction in music, but I was down to one hundred and ten, dying on my feet. The doctors couldn't figure it out. Reynolds in London told.
Speaker 1: Me, you're as normal, mister Block, as anyone I ever examined. You're so well balanced if you haven't even got that extra little touch of imagination most actors and musicians have.
Speaker 5: I guess that's true, doctor, I'm just mediocre, And yet you might say my success is killing me. And so after two years I finally realized it was no use. I came back back to New Orleans, back to the dark alleyway down near Congo's Square. I could just barely drag myself along, but I had to see Papa Benjamin. I slowly climbed the stairs up to that lowesome door and went in. There he was Papa Benjamin, staring at me from the bed as if he'd been expecting me, take that curse off me, give me my life back. I'll do anything anything you say.
Speaker 16: What has been done cannot be undone. Do you think the spirits of earth, air, fire, water? No, what forgiveness means in.
Speaker 5: A set for me? Then you brought it about. Here's money. I'll give you twice as much all I hearn, all I ever hope to earn.
Speaker 16: You have fouled the obia death has been on you from that night, all over the world and in the air above. You have marked the spirits with a chant that summons them.
Speaker 5: And please, here's a gun. Kill me now and be done with it. I can't stand anymore. All you have to do is shoot. I'll write a note sign and say I did it myself.
Speaker 16: Will come but different, slow, oh slow.
Speaker 5: No no no, I can't stand that. I won't.
Speaker 7: I won't.
Speaker 5: Maybe if I kill you, maybe then the spell will be broken. No, no, that's it, kill you.
Speaker 17: No, no, and that's all, Commissioner.
Speaker 5: Then I came here the police station.
Speaker 11: You know the rest. Well, all right, mister Black. You don't believe me, yes, I believe you. Not about the curse. Of course, that was your own mind. They planted the suggestion in your mind. You did the rest, but it's plain that you killed in self defense. Crazy kind of self defense. But I think we can manage it.
Speaker 4: We'll try.
Speaker 5: The commissioner managed it all right. How is almost a story in itself. Our detective with a molage, false face posed is Papa Benjamin and called a voodoo planned together and into a trap. How they collected the evidence that proved my story, and how they sent most of that voodoo bunch to jail. My name wasn't even connected with the case. So now I'm free. I'm living again. I've gained weight, the tiredness, the numbness is gone. I took a nice vacation, went to Bermuda, relaxed and had fun. Now I'm back in New Orleans at Maxim's and the whole thing is forgotten. We're opening tonight and the place is packed. Everybody's come to hear the chat Eddie Block and the chant. We're on our way now and nothing can stop.
Speaker 14: Us, No lady way.
Speaker 15: Welcome back on his triumph return Eddie Flock and his kids playing for you go want it on me?
Speaker 7: Who don't?
Speaker 9: Can't look at him, juddy. They're eating it up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a matter. I was hoping i'd never hear this thing again.
Speaker 9: What do you mean it's your trademark, yours.
Speaker 8: I tried to persuade him not to do it. He wouldn't listen.
Speaker 9: Why you want imagining all that voodoos?
Speaker 8: I don't know. It was all in his mind that nearly killed him.
Speaker 13: I don't think you can put it out of your mind if it gets so easy when Eddie plays.
Speaker 8: Hey, wait a minute, look at Eddie. There's something wrong.
Speaker 7: Eddie, Eddie, wait, now, let me pick him up. He's probably just faded.
Speaker 8: From no leave Malone. He's dead. I guess Papa Benjamin won after all.
Speaker 2: Escape produced by William N. Robesen and directed by Norman McDonnell. Today Brought You Papa Benjamin by William Irish, adapted for radio by John Duncle, with Frank Lovejoy as Eddie Block, Louis van Ruton as Papa Benjamin, Harry Bartel as the police commissioner, and Joan Banks as Duty. Music was conducted by Eddie Dunstatter.
Speaker 1: Next Week, you are speeding through the night on the Eastern Bull Express.
Speaker 6: You are alone and unarmed, and.
Speaker 1: Suddenly you realize that your life is in danger, that somewhere on the train are deadly killers from whom you must escape.
Speaker 2: Next week we escape with Harold Lamb's exciting adventure story Three Good Witnesses. Good Bye, then, until this same time next week, when again we offer you escape. This is CBS's Columbia Broadcasting System.