Speaker 1: Welcome to Destiny. Now here's your host, Cliff Dunning.
Speaker 2: Hey, how you doing. This is Cliff, your host of Destiny, and I hope you're doing well today. I have been reviewing a number of excellent photographs taken on Rapa Nui when we were visiting the quarries, and one of the most outstanding photographs, actually quite an anomaloust photograph, is of a figure very close to the one of the quarries that is sitting on his knees, facing up, hands it aside, and he has a beard. And it's the only Rapa Nui, or excuse me, the only moi sculpture of its kind of the entire island. Is No other sculpture has been found like this, and it's very rarely discussed simply because it's such a strange position for one of these figures to be sitting. And also it's about a third of the size. It's only about i'd say, oh, maybe eight ten feet at the most tall. He's about a third of the size of the typical moi, which are you know, fourteen to twenty feet in height and weighing half a ton, you know, extremely heavy volcanic rock. This guy is volcanic as well, and there's a lot of other fascinating elements to him. Got to wonder what is he looking at. Well, what we don't really know is if the people who settled in the Repnue Easter Island were also into cosmology, studying the stars. We had a number of opportunities during the evening to look at the sky at night, and it was amazing. It was like the lights were turned on at every star was available. The Milky Way was in its full splendor, beautifully splashed across the skyline. And these early settlers must have seen this with great clarity. And so this figure.
Speaker 1: Is odd.
Speaker 2: You have to wonder, is this are we looking at a shaman? Are we looking at a what the Maya call a daykeeper, somebody who keeps an eye on cosmological activity the seasons?
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 2: We don't know. Now. One of the things that we believe, we know this is academic view, is that the settling of Repanu is only a couple thousand years old. Well, when you go there, when you go to Easter Island and you're looking at des Mois, they are cittying on artificial walls, and these walls are made up of megalithic sized half ton stone masonry. This is something we see in other megalithic ancient Old World cultures. We see it in Peru, we see in Egypt, we see it in Lebanon, Bellback Lebanon, we see it in Malta. We see it everywhere where ancient cultures have been described and found. And here we are again on what is thought to be an isolated island with megalithic wall building using the same kinds of techniques of placing stones together. Go to the website Facebook and go to Earth Ancients and go to the international or group page and see it firsthand. These walls, they are magnificent. But what's really curious again is this sitting figure looking up, bearded handsed its side and there's some very faint symbology on his lower back. It's been pretty much weathered, so there's not a great deal to see. But we just don't know enough about this sculpture. And it's wonderful that it's so close to the quarry because everyone's going to see it. In fact, they have it fenced off so you walk right by it, but you could reach in in touch with you. They really don't like you touching any of the sculptures on the island, by the way, So that's a fantastic observation. I really suggest that you take a look at that sculpture and see for yourself. Unusual, one of a kind, rarely discussed, and it's on Rapahnui, Easter Island in the Pacific. Hey, today's program is about journaling, and this is something that we talk about rarely, and it's a powerful way to really get in touch with your inner self, your subconscious mind when you have the proper questions, and we're going to talk about processing and getting back in touch with your guidance, your higher self, your unconscious mind, and why this is important, especially with what's going on right now. I'm talking about what's going on in the United States, which actually is fact as affecting the entire world. We are on shaky ground here and I have always said that we will give the new administration some time, but right now there's a great deal of adjustment going on. There's a tremendous amount of adjustment, and people are very uncomfortable. I think unless you're his in the send, you know that the stock market has been plunging. We just don't know. We do not know what's going on. It could be an adjustment period and things are all going to work out. We don't know. But this just makes everyone nervous, makes them upset, makes you uncomfortable, and it's a good time to begin processing and figuring out what's going on internally internally. So we're going to be talking with a psychologist named doctor Carl Greer, and he wrote a book called Go Within to Change Your Life, a Hidden Wisdom workbook for personal transformation. And this is exactly what this is. It's a lot of people are like, you know, you need to go to a therapist, you need to go to somebody to work with you. And people will say, no, I don't want to. I'm embarrassed. I'm not going to tell people going to a therapist. They'll think I'm crazy or I can't afford a therapist. I cannot afford the hundreds of dollars they charge me for a sitting session. This is a new technique. This is a new way to at least begin working with issues that may be coming up. And it's a workbook, and it's a journaling work work where you have questioned you you'll read a little bit. Then you have a question and then you have an answer that you give, and that answer begins to form an understanding of what's going on with you. It extracts important subconscious data and from that then you can begin processing and figuring out why am I depressed? Why did I do not have an appetite? Why is my relationship or relationship so bad? Why do I hate my job? You know, it's not great to walk around your whole life and be depressed and not have a solution for it. And this is a solution. Remember, destiny is all about tools for trans for nation. So today's program is the subtle art of journaling. And my guest is doctor Carl Grier. Hey, if you ever thought about an exotic tour, think about Earth Ancients tours. We have a series of tours every year. We have our final tour that's finally out as our Sacred Temples of Guatemala December one through the twelfth. Let me tell you about this. You know, I love going to Mexico, but it's pretty much hands off on climbing, on interacting with the temples and the pyramids. I love pyramids. The other thing that the Mexican government has reduced and in many cases eliminated is Interacting with shaman and mayan shaman will open the energetic fields of a archaeological park, making it very much more accessible. In Guatemala, you can actually climb the pyramids, you can actually walk and sit and meditate on the temples and the local shaman. The may and Shama shaman are an integral part of the tour. Join us for this once in a lifetime tour in the region of Guatemala. Will be visiting Tikal and the famous Lost World Pyramid. This is the pyramid that John Burke the scientists tested for energy fields and it actually, throughout the day pulses emissions to lyric energy up and out into the atmosphere. We'll be able to interact with that pyramid. We'll be able to interact at to call and a number of other noted Mayan ruins. For all the details and to register, go to Earthancients dot com forward slash Tours. You can see the full like tenerary. If you have any questions that all send me an email. Send it to Earth Ancients the number four the letter you at gmail dot com. Check this out. This is a rare opportunity to really interact with pyramids, interact with the cultures, and really get a sense of the ancient past and the energetics that were part of the Mayan culture. Again, for more information, go to Earth Ancients dot com, forward slash Tours. This is not to be missed. You know, we're really challenged these days with all the trauma happening in the United States. And it's not just political trauma, it's economic. I think a lot of people are what I call walking wounded. They're walking around suffering and not really knowing how to resolve their issues. And what I like about Destiny is that we have different presenters who are providing tools for transformation. And I love that term. I've used it for decades simply because it's an easy way to explain methods and you can even call him remedies for some of this trauma. Today's guest is Carl Greer. He is a Youngian analyst. He's a former clinical psychologist, and he's a shamanic practitioner. We're going to find out what that means. And he's written a new book called Go Within to Change Your Life. And this is a unique book and it's actually what you can consider a workbook where you actually journal your process during thinking and you get it to the root of your problems. And so we'll learn more about that today. So, hey, Carl, welcome to Destiny. Great to have you on the program.
Speaker 1: Thank you so nice to be here.
Speaker 2: You use a lot of terms in the book that I really like. Let's start with the one that is kind of carried out throughout the book, which is hidden wisdom. What is when you say your hidden wisdom, how do we tap that? And really what is the hidden wisdom?
Speaker 1: I believe the hidden wisdom is that part of you that can help you deal with the dilemmas of when you sometimes say, hey, why did I say that? Or why did I do that? And I believe the answer is part of us wanted to do that and say that. So to get to that part, I think we have to go within in ways that we typically don't do. And gist of my book is ways to access that information so that we have more information to make changes that we might like to make in our lives.
Speaker 2: You know, as a as a psychologist, you see people or you were you're retired now, but you are seeing people in all phases of trauma. I would imagine some people are, you know, so depressed that they want to leave the planet. How do we identify these pains? I mean, when we're feeling bad, how do we know that we need to begin looking at alternatives or ways to heal ourselves.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're seeing a psychologist or a healer, you probably come to the conclusion that you can't hal it completely on your own. And oftentimes when things get overwhelming, we go to others to get help. We self help books, we go to therapists, and so forth. I'm suggesting in this workbook that additionally, we have some answers to our own questions that lie within. We just have to figure out how to get access to those answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think in the United States right now, we're in a hot soup of trauma. And I think that if we have any social interactions at all, you can't help but banter around political scenarios, survival, financial scenarios. I mean, it's just like we're getting hit all the time. The body and the brain and the spirit takes this on and unless you're really really well at just you know, you're gonna, you're gonna, you're gonna feel this, aren't you?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? And you know, there's no real answers to life other than to perhaps, if we're lucky, you learn how to live in a little bit more freely and easily in the midst of all these changes that you're you're mentioning, which in fact are very intense and very real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk about your shamanic work. I thought it was kind of interesting to see that you are this academic psychologist clinical psychologists and you're also a shaman. How did that play a part in your in your work?
Speaker 1: You know? I Uh. One of the things I've written about and talk about is that each of us can look at our lives as a story, and some of that story script did buy our genes where we grew up or parents were. And I had a kind of typical Midwestern story. I grew up in Pittsburgh and Gary. My dad worked in the steel industry. I worked the summers in a couple of steel plants, and my kind of destiny at that time was to be working in probably a steel company and raising my family in a suburb, playing golf if I had enough money to you know, play and you know, cook barbecue. And that was kind of the image that I had around me, and just through a series of events, I started to experience other things, in part because that life wasn't as satisfying to me is I thought it would be. And I had, for whatever reason, just an interest in shamanism and medicine people Native Americans and ended up spending a lot of time in South America working with shamans down there, and it relativized my life if it made me realize I was part of a lot bigger picture. And the experiences I had were through journeys, sometimes being in sacred places, sometimes using the plants, but all of which at around age sixty, caused me to think about my life differently such that were up until then, I was more interested in achieving and accomplishing accumulating. I really felt a need within myself to start giving back. So I had that transformation because I had Germanic experiences with the plans through journeys in places that somehow inspired those things for me and that new way of being. I think you could recreate within oneself by doing some of the practices that I talk about in my book.
Speaker 2: Did you ever do any vision quests with ayahuasca? I did Wow, fantastic. Yeah, that's We've had a number of people on the show talking about that that that's transformative, isn't it?
Speaker 1: It was, Yes, it was.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. How would you say that part of you the shamanistic approach, the shamanistic vision plays a part in your workbook? Is it the journaling that you're you're asking people to work on that brings it out? Or talk about what is incorporated with the shamanism.
Speaker 1: The shamanism just I think, like Jungian psychology and certain psychologies that believe that there are parts of us of which we are unconscious, that if we can get in touch with those parts, we have information that allows us to do things in our conscious life that we otherwise wouldn't do, and that's really what shamanism is about. As well. They may think that that realm of experience in those answers is it just within us but around us in nature and can be accessed through ritual and ceremony and to our dreams. And it's one thing to read about that, but when you really experience it in the context of a particular life issue and you get answers that you otherwise wouldn't have, then it becomes more real when you start to believe it more. And I think that's how shamanism can be useful for somebody. And that's why my writing has been Whatever your spiritual experiences are, can you somehow use them to make changes in your everyday life, in your relationships, in your health, in your jobs, in your relationships with a higher power or not, in the way you think about stuff, and your ability to kind of roll with the punches, like some of the punches that you've been talking about recently in our society. So can you somehow have a little bit more elegant life in the midst of whatever is hidden at you by somehow accessing these energies that I believe lie with a niche of us mhm uh.
Speaker 2: I wanted to call your book the journaling book, you know, because I know your titles go within to change your life. But you have so much self contemplation in the book where you're you're asking the readers your journal what's the what is so important about the process of journaling that you have laid out the workbook in that manner?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it talk about.
Speaker 1: That if if one is going to look at one's life and uh, I always say, Okay, Steff, what what's your story? Uh? You would be able to come up with some things to answer that question if you some chose uh. And then if I were to say, uh, what you like about that story? What don't you like? Would you like to change it? You say, well, yeah, And I say okay, how would you like to change it? And then I'd say, okay, why why haven't you changed it? And well, that's complicated. You know this, that and the other and so forth. Those are kind of simple questions, but they're really big themes for any of us to ask ourselves that. And so by looking at that over and over again in a variety of ways, then I believe we can get information that if we choose, we can change. But until we get that information, until we look at it in a lot of ways, change is hard, even if we have New Year's resolutions to do it. So the journaling is just yeah, I'm giving people experiences they can have. You know, you can you can work with a dream, you can go to the lower world the shamanic idea and go to the upper world. You can work out in nature and do some things. You can do this at the other and as you write about those and you keep track of it. Then all of a sudden, you may start to see patterns. You may get an insight that you didn't have before. It's going to enable you and maybe even cause you to make some changes. That's that's the idea. So it's just it's a reminder of keeping track of the experiences that you had working with yourself to see if some patterns emerge at a kind of a simple level, everyday level. This is something that I've done for myself, and I suggest that other people do. You know, every once in a while, during the course of a day, check in and just ask yourself, you know what am I feeling? You know how am I doing? Without being judgmental, So you kind of write it down and do that for a few days, and then you say, well, is there a pattern here? Do I feel this way more than that? When do I seem to feel this way? And then you say to yourself, well, it's interesting, it's the patterns. Then you think if I been like this for a long time. So it's just the idea of starting to interact with yourself in ways that you haven't done before, so that you eventually may get new ideas what to do different in your life, and that little simple exercise that I just mentioned is one way to do that. My book has a lot of other ways to get into it, so that at the end of the day you may be able to live differently in a way that's more satisfying to you than had you not done the work. That's the whole idea.
Speaker 2: So would you say that when you're journaling, you're tapping to the unconscious, which is the area you want to address, and what you're getting back when you quickly journal is important data.
Speaker 1: Certainly important data, and may be yes, maybe sometimes you're tapping the unconscious. But the exercises that I suggested the book where you where you tapped the unconscious, then the journaling writes about that experience. And if all of a sudden the journey you took or the time you spend in nature and you got that that, oh jeez, I never thought about it like that experience. Journealing just keeps track of those changes. Now, can it in and of itself be transformative? I believe that it can't. But somebody has to do it with you know, a certain intention to that be the case.
Speaker 2: Okay, in your book. You say that when we're journaling, we start to we start feeling, and we are looking for a shift. I mean, is that your goal is for people to be to begin waking up a little bit. I mean it almost feels like to me you're suggesting that we walk in a cloud. A lot of us walk kind of like unaware what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've surely been there myself. I kind of like robotically, you know, you keep the next day, goes out of the next day, the next day, and you know, you don't think about it, and all of a sudden you're order and you have health issues or you die, and that's it. I'm asking myself and then others, are there ways to shift out of that cloud and have kind of more awareness of what's going on so that you're able to make changes, Because the trick is you're not going to get a new life unless you make changes in what you do moment to moment, day to day. And even though people oftentimes say I'd like to make those changes, for whatever reason, they're not able to. I like to think my book helps some people who are willing to do the work make changes they otherwise wouldn't have made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm hearing what you're saying, and I'm understanding that the book you wrote is designed around extracting key data, key bits of information that reveal where you're at, where somebody is at. Right. Yes, and I guess the thing is that we need to We don't need to. No one's christ like and walking around like an avatar saying I'm feeling great, I'm beautiful, I'm perfect, I have no problems. I think we come to Earth as a student of living, of creation, and we were imbued with all these issues to resolve them. And what you're providing is a way to look inward and correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Speaker 1: No, everything is you're saying.
Speaker 2: I agree with Yeah, Carl, I'm just trying to understand how we become aware that we're not living as fully or as holy as we can be. And I think as a lot of people listening to the show today are like, why should I bother if I'm miserable, I'm miserable, Why why should I look for a new avenue of life?
Speaker 1: And many people will feel that way to the time they die, but you can ask them. Some of those people say, well, you'd like be miserable and yeah people, uh no, I really don't. Yeah that I would say to them, well, stop being miserable, and they would say, well, it's a lot harder than you think. And I say, well tell me about it. Why. Why is it hard for you to stop being miserable? Well I can't because of this, this, this, this, and this. So some part of them, I think probably would prefer not to be miserable, but some part of themselves is making them miserable. I'm trying to give them information so that both sides can hear what's going on and and and make different choices. Uh. You know, so many people that I've worked with over the years, and I've worked with hundreds have on the surface just wonderful lives. You know, they're making money, either a healthy either fit, and just everything going for them, but they're sitting before and they're miserable because something's missing, something's just not quite there. And when they're really honest, there's aspects of their story that they're not happy with, but they're just not able to change. I'm saying, some of the answers to change don't lie outside of us, from you know, our therapist, from our self help folks from our to do lists, all of which can be useful, but some of the answers lie within us. It's just learning how to access them and to work with them, and that's what I've tried to do in this book.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today, doctor Karl Greer, discussing journaling in his new book, Go Within to Change Your Life. We'll be right back. I guess it is doctor Carl Greer who has written a new book called Go Within to Change Your Life. This is a self assessment journaling workbook that helps us understand where we're at and how to overcome a variety of emotional issues. Carl, can you give us a couple of examples of people who are walking in the clouds, who either are in pain or they're in a state of depression or a state of disharmony, and it's really showing up big time in their life and they are need to be aware of where they're at. Can you give us a couple of examples of that? Sure? I mean it could be you can change the names of your patience if you want.
Speaker 1: Do that for kind of obvious reasons. But every man and every woman. You know, if you ask people, you know what your story, you know, how you're doing. I reflects the answer to many people. I'm doing Okay, I'm good. How about you? Uh so that would be when start into it, all right, say but okay, Jeff Carl, I want should have really kind of you know, write your story, and oftentimes we write it the way we want other people to see us. You know, you don't want to really fuss up, you know, to the world how you really feel. Okay, so you go through that exercise and then maybe you write it again, uh with really what your truth is. And then uh you say, gee, I'm not doing so well. I'm not as happy as I thought. My health isn't as good as I thought. But back to your point, I'm missing There's nothing I can do about it. There's nothing I can do about it.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of like a you you just give it up to destiny and I have yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Right, And I'm just saying there's more that we can do than we think, but we have to be willing to do a little work. And the work is just like you got to maybe write some things down, and you got to work with some dreams, and you maybe do some journeys which I talk about in this book, and maybe you go outside the nature and you're sitting, you know, buy some water or under a big tree, and you trust that you're part of a larger you know picture. I mean, it depends a lot on kind of your life viewed. You feel that you're here for no purpose, and you know you didn't come from any place. You're just spending some time. Then you die and that's it. I mean, some people feel that way. But if you say, no, I was probably someplace before I got here. I'm not sure where I'm here for some reason. I'm not sure what my purpose is, but you know, I'm gonna maybe get lucky to find it out. And when I die, my spirit's probably going to go someplace else. I mean some of you know, it depends on where you are and those continuums. But once you thought about those things, and then you have to ask, is there anything I can do with spirit if you are a spiritual person, to somehow have a better life that I'm living right now, and better from the standpoint of how I would feel and how spirit would feel with me. And that's that's the stential question that if you're living robotically in the cloud, you may ever want to you may not even think to ask, or in some ways you may be a scared to ask, you know, afraid to ask it. And so we don't. And I'm just saying there's ways to get around in your question about you know, examples of people. It's anybody who's like that, of which, so, yeah, I've been that way, and a lot of people I know have been that way. And sometimes they you know, they they don't do anything and then they have you know, heart issues and cancer issues or other kind of you know, mental health issues that I believe they could have done things to change the probabilities of those things happening. I don't I don't pretend to say that stuff's not going to happen in anybody's life that may not be happy. But I think we can change two things. We can change the probability of it happening, and we can change how we react to it when it does. And I think some of the exercises that I talk about, you know, address those two questions.
Speaker 2: When when someone is writing an answer to one of the questions that you uh present in this work book and they go back and they read it. I think what you're saying is this is that's a form of therapy. But also deeper down is this is the body of the mine. It's the body minded spirit recognizing that what has been written is important.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, particularly if you if you do a few of the extras. So if you work with some dreams that you write down some stuff and with that and then you do a shamanic journey which I talk about, or some shamanic work which I talk about, and and you use that to look at, say a problem in your different you know, views of it, and all of a sudden you think, hey, you don't have to hit me over the head anymore. I need to change this now. The question is am I able to change it or really willing to change it? Because basically, if you want to have a different outcome, you have to change some stuff. Or you know, some people say and it's like, oh, you just think you think about whatever is differently, But that's a change too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the term. I was gonna say, this is a therapy workbook, but I don't like that word. I think it's more of a journey in a shamanic journey of individual will.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, or lack your ob yeah well, and not judging, but sometimes you know, we're beaten down. It's too much work. You know, I don't have the energy to do it, you know. Yeah, I kind of hear you, but it's just over my head or it's not something that's for me. And I get that. I get that. All I know is enough people have done these things and have really said that they've changed. It's caused me to write these kind of books. Yeah. That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing about your book, Carl, is that you actually show that just a little bit of dialogue every day or once a week, whenever you can get to it begins making you feel better. You begin feeling better, but you also kind of clear the slight slowly of accumulated waste that's not serving you anymore.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, and you were you know that that dialoguing process. You know, if we go back to you know what I said early on, that there's probably a part of us who wants to change, part of us and doesn't. If we can somehow have a conversation, uh with that part, I call that the you know, the hidden wisdom that can be really valuable because there may have some part of you that has good reasons, you know, to not change, but maybe there's another part of you that convince it, you know, that it doesn't have to to not hold to that position, and that that kind of almost gets back to you know, like the society questions you say, Uh, you know, there are a lot of people that have different opinions as to how we should be doing things. H many of them don't. They can't stand up being the same room with each other, and they can't hold a conversation about those issues for very long without getting heated. Well, within ourselves, we're like that too, So what's the answer to that. We have to listen, listen, listen, listen better then respond in my opinion, and similarly, we've got to listen, listen, listen to those parts of ourselves, but we have to allow them to express themselves, and we have to be as factual as we can, you know, with what we're saying, and then we agree to disagree or we find you know, common ground. And that's the same work that I think a person can do with themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that hype archetypes are very important in the book, and you you know, have people begin thinking of identifying the arch test What is an archetype? Carl? And is it important to really understand where you're at at this time of your life?
Speaker 1: Uh? In Jungian you know psychology, Uh, there's there's this concept that Carl Jung talked about the collective unconscious and uh. And that would be uh, this this unified field that connects us all. And in some of the great religions, Ah, you know, it would be the uh, the space of spirit, the creative energy of life. Ah. In the Missing Judaism, it's the i'd sof h h Uh in some of my journeys I've encountered, is the quiet. It's the place before creation, before there's an idea, the form of the idea, before for any energization in the idea. It's from which all of this universe in ourselves came. And so we have this energy within us. And so when people say the one and the many, and the many and the one, that's my understanding of what they're saying. But that energy also has many, many sub parts that influence how we think, act and feel. And so the idea is from this big, unified field. Some of us, just for one reason or another, get more connected to a certain energy than another. For example, you know, some people are warriors, so they're going to fight at the drop of a hat. And there's a lot of variations on how they're warriors. Some are healers, you know, they just want to take care of people. Some are kind of mothering, they want to really mother people. Some are fothering people. They want to be you know, following people, some or followers. We're leaders. So there's all kinds of energy that can kind of when we look at our lives, we can say, yeah, I'm more like this person than that person, and what what do we identify? So you can you go to movies, you know what kind of people in the movies do you like? You like the story of the person who came from the wrong side of the tracks and all something makes it good or you know, I don't know if you ever saw the movie Rudy. You know, a guy from a you know, a Malton outside of Chicago wants to play football, Notre Dame, but you know it just so those are kind of feel good stories. The rob cops, you know what, what do we identify with what kind of So that's what I meant by archetypes, and some of those things we're not even aware of, we really live in that role. In other words, a doctor, you know, they're not only a doctor, you know when they're seeing patients, but there there's a doctor in their homes. Or psychologists, you know the trick. A lot of people were marriage psychologists, say Jake, they'll keep psychologizing me all the time, you know, so you keep get caught in your role, and the role could be what I'm calling an archetype.
Speaker 2: Mhmm uh. Can you give us a few examples, Carl, I mean you have. It's great because in the book you list them all or most of them. I think you have as an example, the adventurer, which is a risk taking type, the child, which is the innocent one, the lover of the romancer, what what I mean? They're they're pretty self explanatory. But when you say someone is identifying with the adventurer, give us an example of somebody who you would consider the adventure It's almost self explanatory. But I just need a little more definition.
Speaker 1: Let's say, uh, you're you're you're living in uh you know, uh mill Town and Middle America and uh uh you're you're uh uh got a pension or your forward case you know, going up, and uh you're thinking, gee, I just want to run out my time and then yeah, my wife and I are going to maybe take some trips when I retire. But in the middle of that, all of a sudden, you say, gee, uh, I've really got an idea for a business. I've got to I've got you know, I'm good with my hands, you know, and we just don't know how to make some of these uh tools as as as effectively as I think. And I have a way to make tools that I think I can sell and make money from, but I'd have to kind of give up my uh uh my job and my security to do that. That that's an adventurer, you know, or you know, that's that's what one time. Now you can also say, well, you've got adventurers who want to uh skydive, uh they want to kind of push themselves against physical limits. They want to mountain fly, uh the other they want to uh hanglide uh you know, so so things like that those would be they're they're you know, risking for some reason that's complicated you know, eventually, if one worked long enough, we could probably get some ideas as to what's causing that. But that's what I would say adventure. Yeah, you can also have an adventure that says, gee, I'm making it big. I'm a I'm a big time entrepreneur. I got my own business, but I'm not satisfied. I want to go up to New England and open a hardware store. And there's people that do that. Yeah, and so that's an adventure.
Speaker 2: Give us the example of the child Carl, because it doesn't mean that you're a child as an adult. You could be sixty seventy eighty years old but still have the archetype of the child. And you also listed as not only the child archetype, but innocent.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sometimes, you know, you know, kind of the childlike mind that doesn't feel that they know everything. They're asking questions still they don't have all the answers, So it can be a plus to be she kind of you know, you know, childlife. More innocent is you're not jaded, you're not done with life, which you said earlier, Cliff, you know, I miss nothing I can do about it. Well, you know that's that's got a stance that people take. But you know, a child might be more wondering. You know, it's just geez all, this is all new to me. And holy Macro, I look at that sunset. I never saw one like that before. Geez did you see that little bird? I never knew it was up, you know, above my thing. It's got little babies in his desk. You're just kind of refreshingly struck by life, like a child that's seeing things in your eyes for the first time. That would be one or or or too innocent, and you say, yeah, but you've got to be in this world. You can't be You got to be kind of watching your back all the time. So those would that'd be another archetype. So you're just kind of The idea is to not get identified too much with any one of them and be fluid in just being who you are in life that you and that's where they're said and done.
Speaker 2: And what would you say? The participant of your workbook gets from the answers to the questions regarding their archetypal type, do they get a kind of a more of a guidance on steps to achieve more happiness or talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's part of one of the I'm hoping that a person doing this book is going to have many, many data points. And one data point is, Gee, I never realized I'm the archetype of the workaholic, and I never realized that so much. And so that's one little data point that I didn't have. And then I'm doing some other stuff and I'm realizing that, Gee, because I'm a workaholic, I'm not really spending a lot of time with a lot of the people that I care about, even though I'm justifying it because I'm doing it for them. So I never quite thought about it like that. And then I'm doing another exercise and I'm finding out about my lifestyle that, gee, the fact that I have high blood pressure and diabetes and some hard issues, maybe it's tied into just what I just came up with. And then a little later, I'm doing a journey to the lower world and I made a contract with life. It says this, that and the other. So I have four or five six data points flip that I didn't have before. And then I'm going to say, do I want to continue on like this? And then I have but what's the alternative? And you do another journey, you do another work, and so you get just different bits of information, all of which at the end of the day you me are going to have to say I'm going to make some changes where I'm not. And we say it's too complicated. You don't understand. I can't make him, but I'm not going to and you can't make me. But sometimes we say, hey, this is crazy. I've been living crazy. I got to make some changes. And then to do it day to day it's hard. It's hard. So you have to talk about small little changes changes that the margin can have bigger changes. You have to have new habits, and you got to hook new habits. I have the old habits, and I talk about ways to do that, because at the end of the day, you can do all this work, but unless you make changes in your every day you know.
Speaker 2: So what, We're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today, doctor Carl Greer, discussing his new release, his new book called Go Within to Change Your Life. We'll be right back with you. I guess today is doctor Carl Greer. He has written a new therapeutic work book called Go Within to Change Your Life. And I got to tell you what we're hearing about today is kind of new because we're journaling to get to the root of our depression, anxieties, fears, and all kinds of other psychological conditions. And this workbook appears to be a real great solut for clarifying where we're at. Give us an example of a little change someone would make from a process and if you can, and this is all scenarios that you probably can provide details of if they make this change, what are they going to see in their life that is that is going to be made in a different way or is going to be presented in a different way because of the change.
Speaker 1: All right, give you a couple examples. One, you know in the in health. You know, if you have a health chapter, everybody can write your health chapter. And we all know that to be healthier, we have to eat better, we have to move exercise, we have to manage our stress. Okay, that's those are pretty quickly. So what does it mean to eat better? And so maybe you're gonna have a little less sweets maybe and a little less alcohol or vegetables. Okay, So a slight change would be if you drink one and a half or two drinks a day, you know, you're gonna drink maybe one a day, and then maybe you cut that down to three a week, and at the same time you say, you know, I missed the alcohol because you know it does this and that for me. But in the nights that I don't drink, I'm gonna do some chigag or some yoga. I'm gonna try something, you know, to kind of fill that space. So you're experimenting so that over time you've done things a little bit differently at the margin. So that would be you know, in the health thing. In your relationships, you know, a lot a lot of us don't listen real well. You know, we're we're waiting for the other person to finish so we can say what we want to say. Yeah, and we're trying to we're trying to speed it along as fast as we Yeah, so we could we could give them the truths. Uh. So can we just learn in the moment to pause a little bit, you know, to find that would be an example of a of a small change, you know, before I respond, Uh, in this moment, I'm going to wait a few seconds. It's a simple thing, but sometimes it said, geez, I'm glad I pause because if I hadn't, I would have said this, And had I said that, I would have wished I had so like that that I'm talking about. Okay, Yeah, examples like that in the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do. And that's it's kind of nice that you put that in there. I I've been meditating for three decades and I find it amazingly beneficial. Was it the shamanistic part of you that began meditating? And now you're suggesting that the reader of your workbook consider meditation as a form of therapy? Talk about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's so many ways that people talk about you know, what is meditation is this kind of being still quiet, let your thoughts come and go, but take a pause in the middle of a day just to kind of be to be. I mean, that's one thing that I've tried to do more of compared to when I was younger. And and it could be just walking in nature where you just are thinking, but you're just observing and you're starting to feel cheap. Nature is looking at me just like I'm looking at nature. I say that can be by my definition, slip that can be a meditation. I'm just kind of walking. I'm trying not to think, and I'm aware that, you know, my back's a little sore and my knees might be a little sore, and I'm just aware of that. That can be a meditation. So for me, those are things that I try to do. It just pauses in my life to just be in ways that not when I'm just Russian, Russian, Russian, and it's surprised. It's it's work to try to experiment with it and to try it, and then life has its own you got.
Speaker 2: To to do.
Speaker 1: List gets busy, busier, and you got to do this and that. And I as an almost eighty five year old, you know, I'm thinking about those things a lot and try to do it more more graciously than I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that analogy in suggestion for meditation, you don't need to do a Hindu or a Chinese Taoist form of meditation. You can to create your own. Yeah, and you're suggesting, and I don't know if this is in the book. Maybe it is in the book Car where you're saying, just close your eyes and just let your mind go free. Or whatever. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a that's a that's a very useful suggestion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the benefits are still the same, I would imagine or similar.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's the key to the meditative process.
Speaker 1: Is that Yes, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think I mean, I think there's probably a spiritual benefit for it because it maybe gets as closer to you know, kind of approve this to our creator. But I think just the you know, the idea that we're in a meditative space state, our neurotransmitters are different, and our brain waves are different, and our sypathetic nervous system is a little less active in our prayer sympathetic nervous system is where in all those states cause our immune systems to be better. I mean, that's kind of improven. So we're doing things to our health when we're in those states and we get to those states by any of these means that we're calling meditation.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean meditation for me is like breathing. If I don't do it once in the morning, trying to do it in the evening as well, I just don't function as well. So something's going on there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, I try to do that myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you talk about innate wisdom or inner wisdom in the work that you're suggesting people do, Carl, Is that what you're suggesting or this is what you're telling us is happening when you're journaling, Is that this wisdom is coming out in the writing through the process.
Speaker 1: It can be, or the writing is having part of you describing what that wisdom looks like as it's been revealed through a dream or through a time in nature, or through a shamani journey. In other words, you're you're, you're you're you're seeing it and obviously you're making it conscious to you in a way that you wouldn't had you not written to Dot and And I like the way you were talking about it earlier that if you're looking at what you write down over the course of time, you know, in conjunction with a lot of the different exercises, it's all data for you about yourself. Uh. And you may say, gee, there's a there's a pattern here, there's a picture here that I didn't realize before. Then maybe I want to do something about do something different. It just gives you more data make changes in your life. It's just like if you go to your doctor or it's like you go and they say, you know, you gotta do this, this, this, this, and this, and you either do it or you don't. But if you go to your therapist and they help you hopefully come up with things yourself, but some of them suggest things that they think you might want to think about or do. And uh, this is just another source of data which I found very valuable because it's all it's you to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's self therapy. It really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 2: You talk about establishing good new habits. Uh, what are some of the ways to make these habits stick? Because that's the real challenge that most people have. They'll go, I got to change this behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's why I think you've got to be two things of several things. You have to be forgiving of yourself if you don't, you know, art to stick to them. That's the first thing. And then you have to you know, kind of experiment, you know, with new new ways to change it. Okay, I'm not doing good, you know, not having chocolate anymore. Okay, but maybe I can have a little less chocolate or you know, I can just have a little less of this that I used to, and maybe I'm going to reward myself with something that pleases you, and maybe that which pleases you wouldn't necessarily please somebody else, but you. I want to take you fifteen minutes and read my books that I had, you know, my favorite fiction book that I hadn't read before.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: That's a treat for me, and I normally wouldn't break up my day to do that. Or I've got some writing that I wanted to do, or you know, I haven't talked to my you know, relative it just crossed my mind for a long time. I'm going to call them. So you're just doing things different in your life. Did you see how that feels? And tying the habit to the habit would be I'm gonna find things that make me feel good. I'm gonna maybe not have that drink or not have that deserve and in place of it, I'm gonna take a three minute walk or a five minute walker. I'm gonna, you know, do my breathing exercise. I'm gonna do something else. It also gives me pleasure, but maybe at the end of the day healthier for me.
Speaker 2: You know. I like everything you're saying, but you're you're talking about self motivation, and that's hard for a lot of people. Is to is to develop good habits because they get into a lifestyle which is I want to eat what I want to eat, I want to drink what I want to eat drink, and I want to do what I want to do and it could be very, very damaging. So how do you break free of that? For that.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, if you don't really recognize it, it's damaging to you, you're not going to And then you know, there's a lot of people that you know that they're never going to change, and they're probably gonna in many cases die earlier and more by our standards, by some standards, less happy than had they made the changes. I'm just saying that if you recognize that some of these things aren't too good for you, and you don't have the resources within yourself to make the changes, this book is to help you get those resources from yourself. Because it gets back to what I said at the beginning of our talk. You know, uh, people people say, all right, I got to exercise more. Okay, well why don't you exercide more? Like you said? But all right, because I'm saying there's some part of you wants to exercise, that's what you said, but some part of yourself obviously does it because you're not doing it. So can you somehow work with that part that says I don't want to in a different way so that you end up exercising more. And there's a zillion because each of us is different to do it. It's it's hard to if you kind of enjoy something in the moment and somebody's gonna say, uh yeah, but if you don't do it, you're going to live a lot longer and autimately you're going to be happier. It's hard to kind of to buy, you know, to buy into that, particularly if you've got to give up thing in a moment to give you blaker but it may not be good for you. But somehow you got to get that part of you that says, I want to give that a chance, and you do it for a week or two. I'm sure you've got people on your show or say, you know, it was hard for me to change my diet, But now that I've done it, you know, three or four months later, some of the stuff I used to eat, I just I'm not attracted to anymore. It took me a long time to get unaddicted to it or you know, similarly, know, I used to drink more than I should or smoke or whatever whatever the thing thing was, and I really feel honestly better not doing it. Doesn't mean that I'm not tempted. I smell the good burger, you know, whatever it is. But it's just easier for me to say no or a little teeny bit. It's just working with yourself, you with you to somehow come up with new ways of living that you wouldn't have done as you're not done this inner work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. Thank you. The books called Go Within to Change Your Life a hidden wisdom workbook for personal transformation. I guess it has been Carl Greer. Carl, the workbook appears to be a slow process of discovery. I mean, we need to be patient with ourselves, don't we.
Speaker 1: We do? But and I say to a reader, don't you know you can just skim it. Answer a few questions that call to you, Just do a few things, think about it, take time in your life, just like I was saying, to check in with yourself during the day. What do I feel? You know, what's my experience? And try to be honest with yourself and see if you can see some patterns and then if you do and you'd like to change them and you can't. And there's a lot of exercises in here that hopefully well could change.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As a therapist, Carl, what do you hope people get from the book? I mean, for me, I would think there would be two scales. The lowest scale of one to ten would be somebody who thought it was a well written book and they perhaps did a chapter and they follow the Q and A. And then the high scale of someone who's in the eight to ten is actually going through the whole work book and processing and really getting life changing aspects. That's my interpretation. But what do you say?
Speaker 1: No, I think that's well point. And some people that read the introduction and say this is all kind of woo woo stuff.
Speaker 2: We don't even go yeah, they don't even go yeah, all right, right.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah. The nice thing that's ree for everything be you know, there's some surfaces that have read this book that have said their nost party to refer to their clients because they find it useful, and that's nice deformation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the book has only been out about a year or less.
Speaker 1: No, it's only been a couple of months.
Speaker 2: They're not a couple of months.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Your website is Carl Grier g R E E R dot com. You're also on Twitter, You're on Facebook Carl Grier Author. Uh what did people find on your website? Do you have like videos or do you have processes or what do you got on your website?
Speaker 1: I have some, you know, I've written blogs over the years, so I've blogs. I also have I'm involved with the number of philanthropies and charities, so I described the charities that I'm working with and that's on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned that age sixty was kind of a turning point for you. Was this when you start writing your books?
Speaker 1: No, I was a little older than I started writing books.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: Over seventy.
Speaker 2: You wrote three here you wrote change your Story, change your Life, change the story of your health, the necktie in the Draaguire, and then your memoir. Wow. Yeah, what was the inspiration? You just decided you needed to do something?
Speaker 1: I did? You know? There was you know kind of my stick was you know people were spiritual? Can you bring your spirituality into your everyday life? And people who aren't spiritual. Can you get a connection to spirit to help you change everyday license you want to? So those are my two kind of ways of thinking about stuff, and that's what I've written about Fantastic.
Speaker 2: The book is go within to Change your life. Carl. Real pleasure speaking with you, and I appreciate your work.
Speaker 1: I appreciate talking to you, Cliff. I enjoyed it. Thank you very much for hosting me.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize it until after the interview that Carl has invented something like a pre therapy or self therapeutic workbook program that is built for people who haven't been to a therapist or is trying to save money and building out a way to discover. So it's discovery, discovering problems, discovering tendencies, bad habits, trauma. That's the big one. We live with these traumas, and this is coming out more and more every day, is that these traumas are running us. So, I mean, it's not that big of a work BOOKU. It's two hundred pages, and he really gets into a lot of journaling exercises that I think really help. But the key is to interpret them. So and it is not a solution for a therapist. If you're in real big trouble and you have thoughts of offering yourself, that's another word for suicide, taking your own life. You can't get out of bed, you're moping around. You got to see a therapist. You got to see a physical therapist. So anyhow, go within to change your life. Has been out on the market for a couple of weeks now, and whatever you think I mean, check it out. Go ahead and get it. If you're wanting to work on yourself. If you're enjoying Earth Ancients Destiny and Earth Ancients special Edition in the Archives, please consider to be becoming a subs sponsor. For as little as five bucks a month, you can support the work we do here on the podcast. And I gotta tell you we got bills to pay. Your subscription really really is a big support. We got a lot of guests for you.
Speaker 1: We have a full.
Speaker 2: Library that you can download everything from ancient civilizations to paranormal We even have some destiny topics that you might be interested in through yours as our thank you for being a subscriber again. To become a subscriber, go to Patreon dot com, Forward Slash Earth Ancients and subscribe really really really is a big help and we would appreciate your support. All right, that's it for this show. I want to think my guest today, Carl Greer, coming to us from Chicago, Illinois. As always a team of Gail tour Mark Foster, and everyone who makes this thing happen. You guys rock, all right, take care of you well and we'll talk to you next time. A