Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started hour number three here on a Tuesday afternoon Coffee and Company fueled by Thorntons. Don't forget sign up. If you haven't already become a member of the Refreshing Awards program. You'll be happy that you did, at least I think you will. If not, i'd reevaluate some things in your life because Thorntons brings happiness, especially when they help you save money at the gas pump. And I know I say this often, but I still don't think I say it enough. You will not find a better breakfast sandwich than the sausage, egg and cheese Croissan at Thorntons. It's so delicious. Sometimes I get up and I don't really have anywhere to go, like on Saturday or Sunday, and I just go to Thornton's. I mean, you guys probably think I live at Thorntons. I don't. I would if I could, but I got one pretty close now, and I can. You know, I can just go there anytime and hang out. So shout out to Thornton's we certainly appreciate them, all right, So a lot that I want to get to here in our five o'clock hour to reset. For those of you just now joining us, welcome in. You know, better late than never fashionably late. Although you know, if you have a job and you know you don't really get a chance to listen to you get in your car and drive home, Like I get it. You know, you got you got responsibilities. But with Louisville football, I think we've we've exhausted all different ways to express our frustration. And I mean, I'm I'm I'm content now, meaning like I maybe content is not the right word, but like I'm well aware of their issues that they have right now. But the more I you know, think back to the things that are really surprising and concerning, I mean, it's fixable stuff to know, that is why you are. I mean, you could easily be undefeated right now if you just like eliminate three of your countless goofs. And I shouldn't say countless, I mean, although there are a lot and sometimes you just make a mistake, like nobody's perfect, but just the avoidable things that have happened, and maybe it's not avoidable. But if you don't get it on fourth down, I mean, hey, that's that. You know, you credit the other team for getting to stop. But the lack of you know, creativity, the vanilla play calling on some of these fourth downs, not having a coach that can specifically say, hey, you need to call a time out, burn one and make them go look at this review because they didn't. They didn't give you the spot in the right and they did not spot the ball correctly. And if they go look at it they'll know, or you know, making sure that the defense isn't too complicated where you got dudes running on the field looking around like am I supposed to be here? What planet am I on? What are we doing? So with all that said, you could easily be you could easily be under I mean, let's just say you don't get the delay a game at the end there against Notre Dame and you find a way to score and you go for to and win. I mean, that's that's a you know, that's a real reach considering out up it's been for Louisville to get a conversion on fourth and one, But like, that's not crazy if you don't have the bobbled ball where Jacory Brooks, you know, who's been great, by the way, one of the best receivers in the country. If he doesn't bobble that ball that gets picked off, you know, maybe you take momentum and you when you you know, and you have a lead there and you don't even need to score a touchdown at the end of the game. You know against SMU, you know you fought back. Let's say they do call that a fumble. Different ballgame, and it's all would it, could have, should have. But again, it's nice to know that it's not like we've learned throughout these first few weeks, first four weeks, whatever it is. I mean, they've been playing for a long time, but I don't really count the first two games. But it would be much worse if we had to just really, you know, look in the mirror and realize we don't have any good players. And look, if you have good players and you don't lose, that's what makes it worse. But like it's it's to me, it's encouraging to know that, like just tightening some things up easier said than done, Like that could change a lot for this team. But again, it's also frustrating to know that if you were more ready to play in these games, and you were more sharp overall, you know, we wouldn't even have to worry about it. So with all that said, Saturday's a massive game. I mean, I know we say that about a lot of games that really don't have that kind of a feel like, uh oh, here we go. Man, there's a lot on the line, a lot at stake, a lot of value here if you can pull off the victory, like this isn't that, but this is just you have to win here, like you can't lose this must win game, as they say, which I hate that saying, because again, I don't think there's going to be some major consequence for Jeff Brom if they don't win this game, because you know he's not gonna get fired. And I don't even think fans. I don't even think the most angry fan in the world, if Louisville was to lose, would say that they need to make a change. I mean, if so, then you know I'd say your emotion as a fan had got the best of you. I mean, you could have your opinion of Brom that maybe you don't think he's as great as a lot of the fans think, myself included, But like, you know, that would be a crazy reaction. So you lose this one, You're not losing to a top twenty five team. The other two teams that have beat you are ranked. You lose this one, it's just because you're You're a bad football team in Virginia. May not be the worst team in the world, but they're not good. They shouldn't be in a position to where they beat you. With Louisville coming off of a really good season last year, I think from a personnel standpoint, they got better. They don't have a running back like jar Jordan or Aiza Garnde, but you know, Isaac Brown's pretty damn good. And they got a quarterback that said on a different planet than the guy they had last year. So, like, you shouldn't lose this game, and I hope that they won't, but I really don't know. I don't really know what to expect. So again, it's a big game, just because you need to stop the bleeding. Essentially, you've now lost five of your last six games against power for programs, and I know, going back to last year, like maybe that seems like a stretch to really just produce a stat that just makes things look really bad. But it's it's also true, Like you know, it's not like I'm making it up. What is last year have to do with this year? Really nothing, But again that's a trend, and these are the kind of things people will do. They'll grab stats from previous years, jump them together just to just to really emphasize how bad things are. And maybe it'll be an exaggeration, but hey, when you're a three potentially a three and three team losing I guess six of your seven games against power for competition, you're gonna hear this fan base as pessimistic as ever, I think, and understandably so. So there's already been more noise out there about Louisville football and the brom Era that I mean, fans are more upset now than they've probably ever been. I hope that they're not discouraged to feel as if like louisvill football's not in good hands. But it's on Jeff Brohm and his staff to go out there and the team as well and win this game to kind of put that fear out of mind at least for the time being. If you can find a way to clean some things up, go win in Charlottesville. I don't think that means you should feel great about the opportunity to host Miami, but it'll at least give you a chance to take on Miami where you are coming off of a victory, and you know, if you do find a way to beat them, then that does reset some things and you do feel like you have You've gotten better, You've cleaned up the issues that you had. And I'm sure many will still think back and think, damn, it could be undefeated right now if that's you know, if that situation were to play out, And I'm one of those fans that would do the same thing. But as I discussed yesterday, I've never felt that Louisville needs to be in the playoff or even contending for a spot in the playoff at the end of the year for us to be able to say that that was a good year. I mean, it's more it's more realistic now because there's twelve teams to get in, and you played in the ACC championship game a year ago. Therefore, like you were right there with a chance to do it a year ago, why can't you do it? Moving forward, Like, I get all that, but I think if you were somebody that sets it up to where they got to go to the playoff or I'm gonna say the year was a disappointment, then I think you're setting yourself up to be a pretty disappointed fan because it's not gonna happen every year. Hell, I don't know when it's gonna if it's gonna happen, I mean I think it can. But if they still find a way to win I don't know, nine games this year, I'm sure that won't have them in the playoff or even in the consideration. But I'm still gonna say that's a pretty good year. But again, you can, you know, you can be a fan feel the way you feel, and you know, do you all right? It is Coffee and Company. We are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety don't forget tomorrow we'll be live in Charlotte. In fact, we'll be doing the show in Charlotte tomorrow and on Thursday for the ACC basketball tip off, And at four o'clock on Thursday, Pat Kelsey's going to join us on the show. Looking forward to to catching up with him, and then also at some point, don't don't know the exact time. We'll be joined by Chucky Hepburn and Javon Hadley, who are the two players that are going to be representing Louisville at the ACC basketball tip off. All right, something we need to get into here in just a moment is the old Rick Patino thing, because I think we've got our five o'clock crowd, that is, you know, maybe they were talking about it at work with their colleagues who are UK fans, and you know, I don't want to make this a bigger thing than it really is, but like I know this rivalry. I know these fan bases pretty well. I can't really relate to Kentucky fans, but you know I know enough of you. I can smell you out. I can check your pulse a little bit. Like there's no doubt Patino going to the UK Vandy game this weekend. Has been a conversation among fans today, and it seems as if we've got a mixed bag of results as far a mixed bag as far as how people feel about the game. But we'll get to that in a moment. What I do want to do now is get to the phone lines. Babo two. That is the number. If you want to give us a call, let's go to Brandon. Brandon, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: What's up, hey, Dick? How's it going?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: I get to catch bits and pieces of the show, not as much as I like, but just what I gather from listening to your show and then from talking to people here in town. It's just there's a there's tends to be a huge disconnect. But how between how good this team actually is even after watching the what we're three and two five games this year and the reality of what's on the field. And I heard a caller yesterday, for example, on your show talking about how Notre Dame's not that good and and you know how SMU is not that good. You know, I watch us and we weren't good enough. There was no doubt about which team was the better team on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they're not that good, what are we? Right?
Speaker 4: That's exactly right? And this is just a mediocre team. You know, there are some nice pieces, but just kind of a debacle on defense, And the real story is just how bad the offensive line is. If we could block somebody, we might be at out score on but this offense is not going to move the ball consistently with that O line. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, I could think Brandon of some wresol lines, like the Lamar Jackson line when he won the Heisman is still one of the craziest things I've ever seen. But you know, this one, I feel like, despite despite their struggles, and you know, they lost Monroe Mills probably for a while so they got even worse, I still think you can you can. You can get past that, right, Like you can win some football games with with that offensive line because of your ability elsewhere receiver and your quarterback and Isaac Brown's a playmaker. So I mean, I think that is the weakness of the team. But you know, back to your point about SMU, you know, I totally agree with you. I don't think I've come out and flat said it, but watching that game, I don't. I mean, they were pretty competitive, right, both team. We're neck and neck until the end. But no, I mean I think assume you you know, they were better and.
Speaker 4: That was humbley agreed. Now I just have to say too, as much as it pains me to say, we are this this wind streak that UK despite their mediocrity, which that's what they are. They've been a mediocre team. You wouldn't know that from living around here and hearing some of the people. But that's win streak's not going anywhere until we get better in the trenches.
Speaker 3: You're right, Yeah, any different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hate to say that. And Brandon, I appreciate the phone call. Glad you were able to give us a call, and I appreciate you listening. I just can't come out and say unless Louisville's in a really bad situation like the Cragthorpe era the end of Bobby. I mean, I even found a way to get to you know, I mean I found I had to rely on the men's clinic because I had low tea when it comes to the rivalry. But like I even found a way with sadderfield here to you know, find a way to convey myself Mobil was going to potentially win. I mean I never knew. I knew deep down I didn't have the confidence, but like I would try to, you know, look at all kinds of different scenarios, well, you know what, maybe we can win. And like you know, as soon as the game would start, I would think to myself. Yeah, like it's not happening. So I say all that to say I'm probably never gonna be like, yeah, that that streak's never ending. We're gonna always lose to Kentucky and I don't and to be honest with you, I don't believe that. But you're gonna have to do some things to really really neutralize that advantage they have in the trenches, because you know, their offensive line this year, I think they've kind of been I guess they've been good enough, right, I mean, you look at how bad they were against South Carolina, but they they did just enough against Georgia. I mean, they did enough against Ole Miss. So you know, their old line I thought was a big question mark, but I guess they've actually gotten better. But defensively, I mean, I mean when I watched Kentucky play, I think it was Old Miss. I just looked up and like looked at their front. Seven gigantic human beings out there, who you know, many of them will play in the NFL. I don't know how long or where they'll be drafted, but they are, Like that's just a fact where they have an advantage that has really been hard for Louisville to overcome. I mean, last year, they could have easily overcome it. They just you know, and that's why last year is always going to be a salt to the wound, because you know, that was the year to do it. That was the year to just end the streak. And maybe because they are superior in the trenches, or at least have been, and they do a really good job of recruiting and developing linemen on both sides, like maybe they end up creating a new streak because of that. But last year it should have been broken and it wasn't. And it's still a nightmare to even think about, to be honest with you. But you know, before Louisville lost to Notre Dame or to SMU and before Kentucky beat Ole Miss I mean, I still look at them from a physical standpoint up front, and they to myself, Okay, you know, they clearly have an edge there and you're gonna have to and you can and you can overcome that. There's plenty of teams that that you know, they can they can scheme to neutralize, you know, a big weakness they have against an opponent. But I don't know if Louisville has. I mean, in fact, I do know at this point they haven't shown to be sharp everywhere else to where they can they could, you know, they could overcome that. And maybe that's a stretch to say they can't overcome it, but look, Kentucky take Louisville out of the equation. Kentucky's defense is really really good this year, and I don't think many teams are going to be able to just line up and run the ball against them. Louisville hasn't even been able to do that against the opponents they play that you know that aren't as physical as they are upfront. So when it comes to like expectations, you know, back to Brandon's point, like maybe this is just me being bullish and me being you know, maybe a homer to an extent, I do think that, like from a player's standpoint, like Louisville does have good another pieces to where they could compete towards the top of the ACC. Maybe that says more about the ACC than anything else. But still, like I don't think that they you know, they're again, offensive line is certainly a weakness, but even at this point, your offensive line could have played even worse than they've played up to this point. And if you just eliminate very avoidable mistakes, you probably win games. It would it, could have, should have, dodn't matter. And if you keep doing that continuously like they have the last few weeks, even though you know it's something that can easily be fixed, if it's not getting fixed, guess what, look in the mirror. That's who you are, that's your identity. It's like, man, I keep getting car recks. Man, just like if it wouldn't have been for that, you know, time I looked looked away and rear ended somebody, or if it wouldn't have been for that time you know, I ran off the road because I wasn't paying attention and flipped my car. Like if I could just not do that, i'd be a good driver. Well you know what you do it enough, you're a bad driver. Yeah, it's it's fixable, but it's you know, it's it's part of who you are. I don't know if that's a great example, but you know there's and I'm trying to think of I guess you know, I hate even making this comparison because it's just it's a nightmare to think about but towards the end with with Bobby that last year before it got really really bad, like you you would, you'd still sit there and say like, hey, Virginia just beat us, you know, three to twenty three. I know they didn't do it because they got better players than us, But if you don't, like, none of that matters if you don't actually produce results. And I'm to the point now where if in fact, you know you you continue to struggle, which I hope they don't, but like, if they do, we can't say we like if we come if we come here on Saturday for the postgame show and we're talking about the same kind of stuff, yeah, it'll be infuriating, But can you say you're surprised. I mean, I don't want to make it sound like I expect them to do those things, but again, you do it enough, it should become an expectation. So you know, when it comes to the players and the talent that I keep mentioning, and again I think some people hear that and think I'm acting like Louisvill's got talent comparable to Ohio State. No, but you're not losing because you don't have good players. You're losing because of little things, and you're not gonna be perfect and you're gonna have weakness. It's like your old line. But if Louisville somehow loses this weekend and they're sitting at three and three, one and two in the ACC, it won't matter that you feel good about the ability of certain guys on this team, like Isaac Brown, Tyler Shuck, Jacory Brooks. It won't matter because if they're not, if it's not producing wins, then you know who cares. I mean good for those guys from an individual standpoint, And we'll never know because Jacory Brooks probably only going to be here one year. I don't think he has any left. Tyler Shuck, I mean, I don't think he can get an eighth year. But you never know. Isaac Brown's a freshman, and I'm already worried about him being poached. I'm just gonna say it, like I'm already worried about like everybody realizing, oh yeah, that kid out of Miami, how do he get to Louisville. Let's not let's let's get him where we are in the AC or the sec of the Big ten, Like I don't know. I mean I hope that didn't happen, But like I'm I know where Louisville stands in the hierarchy of college football, and if there's an elite player that somebody wants, they might come and.
Speaker 5: Get so.
Speaker 2: I would hate to to never know, Like did we just think those guys were putting up good numbers on a mid to bad team, or did we really waste dudes who only played here one year that were really really talented. I think it's the latter, which would be a real bummer because I think Tyler Shuck's got a chance to play in the NFL. I do I know this, je Cory Brooks does, and Isaac Brown again, he's a freshman, but I mean, sky's the limbit for that guy, all right before we get to our first break here in the five o'clock hour. So for those who don't understand why I keep mentioning Rick Patino in the Vanderbilt football game, like I'm not just making some kind of a joke, Like he's confirmed that he will be flying in for the UK Vandy game this Saturday. He's going to be on the sidelines with coach Stoops. I don't know if that is here's his tweet, word for word. Yes, I'll be flying in for the UK Vandy game on Saturday. I'll be on the sidelines helping coach Stoops. I've got an unpopular opinion here when it comes or no way. Second, that's my notes here. I thought he said something else about about Stoops. Was it just one tweet?
Speaker 5: I think there was only one tweet unless I see the second.
Speaker 2: I thought he'd added something to like make the joke, because he's not really going to be on the sidelines, right, No, I wouldn't think so, because you know, he tries to get cute and funny on Twitter. Now, remember when he made that reference to something being stolen from his office and he had to retract it because he made a joke about somebody stealing like an insanely expensive bottle of wine. And like, Patino's never shown any real signs of being a real human until like the last few years. It's like nobody has a radar for like his sarcasm, right, like people you know, And yeah, it would make sense if there's a coach that would have one hundred thousand dollars bottle of wine in his office at Saint John's. You know who it is. It's Rick Patino. But he later had to come out and like tell the cops and everybody publicly that yeah, they didn't steal any of that wine. I was making a joke, So I'm sure he's joking about the sidelines thing, but I don't know. But here's here's one thing I'll say before we get to a break. I understand why for Louisville fans it feels slimy because of all the reasons I've mentioned on all the reasons that you that you know, you don't even need me to mention it. He was our guy, and now he's going to hang out and love on the UK football program and his boy Pope's the coach for the basketball program, Like he's back to his roots. And whenever he was here embarrassing the program and the school for just you know, fornicating on a table at an Italian restaurant, I mean, we all know that happened, and imagine being a fan like, yeah, but that's my coach, and you know that's a that's a personal matter, not a you know, but like people fans did it right, he's your guy. You're gonna defend him. And we were defending him over some pretty uncomfortable stuff. Katita Pal's girls escorting to the ceiling. Andre McGee, We, I mean, like you know, we we were in the trenches taken.
Speaker 5: Can we say that? By the way, don't even dump that?
Speaker 2: She said it okay on KSR.
Speaker 5: I thought it got dumbed. I couldn't remember.
Speaker 2: I did you dump it? Dump it? I don't know, I don't know, you know, did okay? All right? So if you if you want to know what I I think you all know what I said. But if not, it'll be on the podcast, right, yes, of course. So you know, like Louisville fans had to defend this guy from the Kentucky fan base over some really uncomfortable things that really should never be back, like we gave them ammunition to make fun of Louisville. That now that I reflect, like, it's almost unbelievable of all the things that transpired while Rick was here, and now he's gonna go party with them. Like I get how you see it from that perspective, But I don't think Rick thinks about fans very much. You know, maybe when he went on the part of My Take show and talked about Kentucky fans being great. Like maybe that was an indirect jab at Louisville fans, But I don't think Rick thinks about fans, because I don't think Rick cares about fans. Rick Patino is the most unrelatable, self absorbed human being I've ever come across. Not an exaggeration, Like, I don't think he's thinking of ways to get Louisville fans upset, not because he loves us, because he doesn't care. He doesn't think about us. I don't think. Maybe I'm wrong, but like I don't don't. I don't think he's doing this to get under our skin because we're not worth that to him. I mean that so you know, although he was here for a long time, like and at that time he hated Kentucky because he hated Cali Perry, I guess he hated cal Perry, not really Kentucky. But think about it this way. He loved his time there. He even said it when he coached here. I mean it wasn't something he said often, but like his biggest regret was leaving Kentucky, and he cherished that program. He had a lot of great times there. He was great there. He was a made man. But then his real personal rival, John Caliperi, took over, and that made it weird, that made it uncomfortable. Now Cal's gone, Rick's at a new school, not the rival, and a guy who played basketball for Rick Patino w and won a national championship, his team captain from the ninety six team is now leading the UK program. As much as I mention him not really being a human being and having feelings, he is one. I know that. And he didn't have to have much, you know, of a heart to have that hit you in the fields, if that makes sense. Like I think he's genuinely excited for Mark Pope. I think it's weird that he's friends with Eddie Grant and Mark Stoops, but whatever. Like now that he doesn't coach Louisville, and Louisville is the program that you know, deservedly so got rid of him, it makes sense for him to want of to latch onto them and not us. And you know, we can look at it as his loss if you want. But like I think, deep down Patino really is like always gonna love Kentucky because of his time there, and I think he loves Mark Pope and is happy that he's the coach the UK stuff. Again, I think it's and I think I in fact, I was told that it is due to like business stuff, like horse racing stuff as to how Patino and Mark Stoops know each other. But anyways, we're way too late for our first break here. I just wanted to get that out of the way. Don't go anywhere. It's Coffee and Company Field by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it's Coffee and Company Field by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Tuesday afternoon. So, you know, John, yesterday we were talking about Indiana and their six and oh start and how it's just crazy to think that they've gotten off to such a good start, considering that, you know, even though they haven't beaten great teams yet, that a lot of Indiana teams haven't been able to do this. But I keep finding things that make it actually, you know not. I don't want to overdo it here, but there's only three teams that have not trailed in a game this season, and Indiana is one of them. So I hear that you know, they're they're not just getting by. And even if they were just getting by, it would still be awesome for Indiana fans to experience this because this is this is unfamiliar at least, you know, getting scoring early.
Speaker 5: They're outscoring teams in the first quarter, seventy seven and nothing. Damn that's insane.
Speaker 2: And you know what like that's that's a damn good coach is what that is? His guys are ready to play and the opponent has not been able to match them to start the game. That's what that tells me. And it reminds me of a of a very very impressive stat that you know, we can no longer we can no longer reference because the streak's over, and I think you might be starting a batch streak unless they get some things figured out on defense. But you remember when Louisville had the longest streak in college football for keeping their opponents from scoring a single point on the first drive of the game. That was something I used to bring I think it was after the Jacksonville State game. You know, you go back to I mean might have been sadderfields last year where they had not given up a single point in the opening drive. For however, many consecutive games, and obviously that's you know, that's changed and makes me sad. Did Indiana come in and steal all the mojo from louisvill football? Is that what happened here?
Speaker 5: I guess there can't be two good football programs within however many miles they are, I mean of each other. Let me ask you this the quarterback where's he? Where'd he transfer from Ohio? And two years ago, not the previous season, but two seasons ago. He was the offensive player of the year in the Mack. He got injured last year, ended up not playing a full season, gotcha? Okay, So what happened to Trace Jackson? Davis's brother Tavin Jackson? He is the backup? Okay?
Speaker 2: So he's still there.
Speaker 5: Yes, he did not transfer out, gotcha? I mean, but Curtis Rourke has won season. This is his only season before he's done. So unless Signetti goes into the portal and get somebody else, which he might, he should, I mean, and Tevin Jackson will get the reins after that, and that knows.
Speaker 2: And that's why Like if you, I mean, if you, if you lose a gig, which he did, you know he was the starter last year and Signette brought in a transfer and now he's the backup. Doesn't mean he stinks, but like you know, he lost the job. It's gonna be hard for you to to to get it back, I think, because you could still win the job. But I just find this scenario to be unlikely one or two. One of these two things. They go out and get a quarterback in the portal that they really want and then that guy's not the guy, or they just decide, Okay, nope, this guy didn't play hardly any snaps this year because he was our backup. But we don't need a guy in the portal. This guy's ready because coaches they're gonna want to stock the position as best they can with a variety of options, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I don't see a scenario where he doesn't at least try to get somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe you know, he's already transferred from Tennessee, right, yes, so you know, maybe he's just content with, you know, being a part of the IU program and you know he's not playing, but they're winning.
Speaker 5: And he did jump in the portal after Tom Allen left initially but came back. So very interesting that he did decide to come back.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming he's from Indiana, right.
Speaker 5: He's from Greenwood, gotcha? All right?
Speaker 2: Some other stats for you when it comes to college football that that you know could be beneficial for you to know when it comes to making wagers. Kansas oh and six against the spread this year, they are the only yeah, they're the only power for program that is o and six against the spread. N C State and North Carolina they have not covered. However, they did have one push, so five and one for both n C State and North Carolina, which, by the way, this is a random stat that I'm sure you don't care about, but it is. It is a real reminder of how bad both those teams have become this year. Not only have have they not covered a game. Let me see, I can pull it up here. I just had it pulled up and again it's one of those things where my mind just got sidetracked here because it's not even that, it's not even that, Like I'm sure you guys don't care about NC State, Yeah, here is North Carolina and NC State again have not covered yet, but the they're combined zero to ten and two against the spread, and they failed to cover by ten points per game. So the sports books they can't they can't figure out these two teams. And you know what that means this late It could it could have already like the opportunity could have already passed. But man, that's that's a team that people should have been fading because when the books can't figure them out, like, that's when you know that like, hey, they're putting they're putting lines out there, not really thinking that this team is as bad as they're showing us. It's like, you can it's a sick and twisted thing to do if you think about it, or maybe you don't think about it that way because you know, we all know money matters and we like money, but you actually have you are probably more inclined to know how to, how to how to you know, make money from your team losing, right, because when Louisville was coached by Kinny Payne and when Louisville was coached by Bobby in the last year, and it's not about these guys specifically, it's just about like you know that they're they're still getting the brand bump, they're still getting a benefit of the doubt because they're Louisville and they're playing you know, Boston College and football or UNBC and basketball, and you realize, yeah, you know, we have better players probably, but man, like we're kind of a mess right now. We could easily not like I think that. I think this is free money essentially, and it works out that way. But when you get to like, I hate jumping on it this late because then I feel like, you know again, like as soon as I do, it's gonna not end up working out that way, like I'll be I'll have been too late. All right, Let's see, there's something I wanted to get into, but I'm gonna save it for tomorrow because when I have a who lot of time and it's and it's I don't want to, you know, make it, make it out to be some hue amongest thing that we need to discuss on the show that's going to be so important. But players parents have been getting upset on Twitter Louisville fans, Louisville parents of louis football players. At least three of them I've seen, have been tweeting out just that they're disappointed in the fans and they can't believe that, you know, they're already you know, down on the team, this and that, and you know, I just think I'll save it because it's it'll turn into a longer conversation. And it's not like I'm gonna you know, it's not like I've got some crazy, unheard of opinion on it. But like, there can't be two more unrelatable components to a college football program or even a college basketball program than an emotional fan and a parent of a player, Like you all shouldn't coexist together. Maybe in real life. You know, outside of basketball, you'd be great friends, you'd get along, but like you're you're not. It's not personal to you. So if a guy's out there making a bad play, you're going to say, what the hell you doing? Get it together? Well, if you say that on Twitter or maybe around a parent, like they're gonna they're gonna take it a certain way because that's their kid. I would do the same thing. Like I never understand why. Again, you can do whatever you want, but like, there can't be many parents on social media with their kids playing high level college sports where Twitter specifically has been a healthy experience for them. It wouldn't be for me. And it doesn't mean because you know, we're bad people, but like we're parents, it's our kids, and you know, now your kids are making money, and people are even less hesitant to just say, hey, you know, go make a play that's inexcusable. Maybe you know, go even further than that and say that they think or that they're bad and that's not nice. But again, like it's not personal, it's a it's a diehard sports fan. And then again, you know the parent is going to be looking at it from a different lens because again, it's their kid. How are you a fan if you're saying he made a bad play, it's not about him as a person, it's about him as a football player. You're thinking about your baby boy, Like, we cannot relate. There's no scenario we could coexist and it not be contentious because you know, it's your kid, and nobody reacting to the game is thinking about it from that standpoint. And I don't mean that like these players should be fair game and fans can call them names. I mean, don't be a disgusting human being. But like there's criticism, like for example, and his mother is one of the people that has expressed like frustration with fans. So like Ashton Julotte has been invincible this year a lot, right, and clearly he's being double teamed and other you know, the opponents are trying their best to really take him away as they should. But like that's led to a lot of fans and maybe some have been over the over the top, and in fact, I'm sure there have been some fans over the top about it. But like I think the parent of that young man, if you say, wow, he's really disappointed this year, what's happened? Like that's not a hot take like that, that's just facts, But like you are if there's one person I think at times you could be unable to be really objective about it's it's your kid. That's not to say that like you're gonna say that the best player in the world. Anybody that disagrees is wrong, But like an emotional fan, that's just you know, in the moment, gonna spout off something like you're gonna take it a certain way because you're a parent. And I just have never understood why parents of players like get in the weeds with fans on Twitter. And that's not to say that fans should just do what they're doing. If they're being nasty, but like stay away from it, like it can be good for anybody involved. All right, let's do this. We got not a lot of time left. We got a couple of callers on the line. Let's take our last break. We'll come back. You guys want to stick around, We'll get to you guys to finish up the show.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We'll finish up with a couple of callers that have been holding. But I do need to tell you once again about my friends over at Jefferson Animal Hospital. Keep them in mind when it comes to your pets, not just for an emergency. They'll be there for you if, in fact, an emergency does happen. Nobody plans for that or wants for that to happen, but we know it can, so they're there for you. They're open twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year, even on Christmas. They've got a doctor on site that they can be there in case in an emergency. But you can just give them a call. If I vote to nine hundred pets or visit Jefferson Bets Dot com to get more information. Maybe you're looking for a new doctor to become the primary provider of healthcare for your pets. So or maybe you just realize that you've never even thought about that because you know, you just assume your pet's always going to be healthy. Well, don't assume that. You know they need to be taken care of, they need to be checked out. So again, Jefferson Animal Hospital, give them a call if I vote to nine hundred pets. Jefferson bets dot com is the website, all right, not a whole lot of time left, guys, but we do have enough here for you to each get to get some some run here on the air. So let's go to Chris. Chris Brother, how you doing.
Speaker 6: I'm doing good. I just wanted to make a point. My son grew up playing football for Trinita High School, played for Bob Baby. Bob Baby made a quoke one time, he said that he won two state championship with some guys that ran five three forties. My point I want to make is some of these guys just fit into the right system with the right coaches, and I think with the nil My son plays football now at Hanover. We talked about that before, and they played against Butler, and Butler is five and old one right now, and Butler is not a football school. But the lady said something very interesting that Butler when we played against them. She said, We've got a lot of nil money. So now Butler, that is normally not a football school, are getting some really really good players from all around the country. So I think I think Brown's a heck of a coach. I think the defensive coach is a heck of a coach. But when you're dealing with my pass is an SMU fan, when you're dealing with these guys, they got big bank rolls, big nil money, and they're already a football state. I think we're not looking at the caliber of players that these people are able to get from lyingman to wie receiver. Because that kid that plays from SMU anywhere else, he's a starter and he's not a backup.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 6: And he came in after the guy got hurt.
Speaker 2: Yep. He was great, and Chris, I appreciate the call.
Speaker 5: I got a run.
Speaker 2: But I think with the portal, you know, you could be a guy that doesn't look like one of the best guys available, but you know, what you might be the exact piece that this team needs to put themselves over the hump. You know, you and you can also go out and do really well in the portal on paper, but you know what, it just doesn't fit. It doesn't work. And that didn't mean really anybody did anything wrong. It just means, you know, it didn't fit, like he wasn't the right pieces. When you're putting all these new pieces together every year, I mean, you're gonna at times run into things that just you know, don't work out. All right, Mike, what's up?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 3: Man? I went to get some Winshill wipe ers today and I had Autos on on one side and Advance on the other, and I thought, my man has been hosed by one, so I went to the other to get my stuff.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, hell yeah, Mike. One at a time, Baby, we're gonna take him down.
Speaker 3: That's right. Next thing is I got to thinking about who's the most impressive team, like the best story this year, and it's got to be Indiana and college football, and then the most disappointing it has got to be Florida State. And then you know I was kind of doing that by each conference.
Speaker 2: But I would say, I would say that that, Yeah, I would say that, And Mike, I appreciate the call, and I appreciate your support as well, and I hate to cut you off. And we were almost at a time. But no, I think you're spot on. Florida State easily a top ten preseason. Now they are, They're a huge joke. And then Indiana, I mean, even though they haven't picked off like a marquee win, they're winning, which they don't you usually do, and they're winning big. So I think you're I think you're spot on.
Speaker 5: Have they already hit the over on their their total? I don't know exactly who I guarantee it they were five and a half or six and a half more than likely.
Speaker 2: No, there was no way it was six and a half. If it was six and a half, I'll buy you dinner, like because when's less than Indiana had a six and a half total, like they had three and a half last year, I think, yeah, so, I mean again, it makes it even more impressive. But I bet I bet in three or four years, if Signetti's still there, have you thought.
Speaker 5: About that's the year I know I've had the conversation.
Speaker 2: If he's still there, you know, six is going to be the minimum.
Speaker 5: If if if Lane Kiffen's not the guy for to replace Billy Napier. I do worry that Signetti will be who they target.
Speaker 2: If he keeps winning like that. I wouldn't I wouldn't be shocked if that's on the table. Because the guy wins and doing it in Indiana like this. It's it's almost kind of like klen of Bor when he was winning it at Washington. Yeah, you go back and look, because you're not you're not that impressed when he's doing it at a lower level. But hey, he's got a formula and it's working no matter where he goes. And if people want to win, you know, and you've got good resources to go along with his formula, meaning money and all that kind of stuff. Like he'd be an obvious candidate for a big, big job. But we'll worry about that when we get there, because that I don't want to, you know, I don't want Indiana fans already worrying. I mean, isn't that life though?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 2: Like this is great. Now we gotta worry about if he's gonna stick around. Like it's it's a good problem to have though, because that means he's winning. All Right, you guys, have a good day. We'll talk to you tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety live in Charlotte.