Speaker 1: Our bank proudly sponsors The Sandy Show. Make the switch effortlessly by visiting www dot r dot Bank. Member fdi C Jason Wright joins us every Thursday, and it's always something different about your health. He's got a podcast that's called The Jason Wright Show. And by the way, Jason, great episode on the Five Things That Changed your Life. That was a good episode. I liked it. And he's also got the Healthy CEO podcast, so check that out. But today we're going to talk about v VO two max and zone to training in its simplest form. What does that mean?
Speaker 2: So, whenever you're thinking of VO two max, think about your body's ability to absorb and use oxygen. So it's not enough just to be able to take in the oxygen, but it's how efficiently your body can actually put that oxygen to use and benefit from it. That's what we're talking about when we're talking about VO two max.
Speaker 1: Okay, so basically the amount of oxygen you take in, how it's like how your car uses gas, your gas mileage on your oxygen.
Speaker 2: That's an excellent way to look at it, Sandy. It's not wasting what you have, it's actually putting it to good use.
Speaker 1: So how do you do it? How do you maximize the efficiency of your oxygen?
Speaker 2: All right, so here's the thing that I think that is going to make everyone feel good. First of all, your VO two max is going to be the leading indicator of how long you're going to live and how healthy you actually are. It is the one thing that is going to be the measurement to show how healthy you are now and how you're healthy you're going to be in old age. And the best way to start training for VO two max is very simple. It's zone two training. A lot of people think that they need to go do some kind of soul crushing hit workout and get into zone five and real high intensity stuff to increase their VOTWO max. That absolutely plays a part, but eighty percent of your work should be in zone two. Zone two is that slow, steady state work. And to understand whether you're in zone two or not, I don't want to get too technical here. You can actually do a lack Tate ten to really dial it in. But essentially, for your listeners, if you are working at a pace where you could carry on a conversation, it's just a little breathy and uncomfortable, then you can assume you're pretty well in zone two. Another really quick, down and dirty back of the Napkin way to check whether you're in zoned to or not is to take one hundred and eighty minus your age and then whatever that outcome is, that would be your zone to heart rate. Again, it's not a perfect measurement, but it kind of gets you an understanding of close to where your zone two is and it gives you something to shoot for whenever you're training.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's I mean, that's interesting you say that because I just did a when I was at the gym the other day. You know, everyone's into their heart rate and it tells you your average heart rate and mine is exactly where I was in zone two to even know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. And that's the thing. That's what's beautiful about zone two. Everyone listening, You can get into a zone two and you should be able to hold it for hours. This should be something you should be able to do for a long period of time. Although there is a kind of a minimum effective dose that I suggest for everyone that they work in zone two as well as that high intensity work. And I'm glad to give you that formula if you'd like it now, Sandy, Well, sure we would.
Speaker 3: Tricia's taken nineteen taking notes like we're going to be tested later on this.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I want you guys to think about, and all the listeners think about your VO two max and your body's ability to use auction as a pyramid, Okay, and so at the bottom of the pyramid, you want to be really, really wide, right, So that's where this zone two training comes in, and that's where you should spend about eighty percent of your time. So eight of ten workouts should be this long, steady state work. And in fact, these unbelievable cyclists that do that, do the Tour de France and these cross country skiers that have the highest VO two maxes on planet Earth. That's where they spend most of their time. So that's where it should be. And then the other twenty percent of the time should be in that high intensity Zone five work. This is going to be your typical Tobata, your hit workout where you going all out for twenty seconds and then maybe back off for ten seconds, the one that most people seem to really dial into when they get to the higher level. I'm not telling your audience to start out at this because I don't want them to be miserable. But if you can get to a four x four Norwegian circuit where essentially you go really hard. When I say it really hard, I mean all out. I'm talking about ninety five to one hundred percent of your maximum heart rate, you really get after it. If you can do that four minutes and then off four minutes on, four minutes off, four minutes, four times, then that should be that's like the perfect, that's the sweet like that's whenever you really hit the gold standard of hit training. But if you're just starting out, then what I suggest people to do is do that long steady state work for about thirty minutes to forty five minutes, and then at the end of it, try to do a one for one. Try to go all out for a minute and then back off, all out for a minute and then back off. Do that three or four times at the end of the Zone two training, with the understanding that you want to work your way up to be able to do a two minutes on, two minutes off, three minutes on, three minutes off, until you can hit that four on, four off.
Speaker 4: If you can do that.
Speaker 2: That is a is a great recipe for helping your votwo max increase. And again, that is what is going to give you a lifestyle that's active and robust in old age. Now that's not that's not to say that you should neglect your strength training, which you guys have heard me harp on a lot. But as far as your breathing and your body's ability to absorb and optimize its oxygen use, this is how you train for it.
Speaker 4: Jason Wright is our guest.
Speaker 1: You can find this podcast the Jason Wright Show, which I highly recommend, and also the Healthy CEO podcast.
Speaker 3: It's available wherever you get your podcast. Tristian, you got a question, I do. Okay, So Jason, let me ask you. This is your VO two max level? Is that related to how quickly you recover from something that's high intensity? I've heard that a level of your fitness is if you do something that you're just so out of breath, how quickly you recover your breath.
Speaker 4: Does that have to do with the VO two max as well?
Speaker 2: Sure thing, the higher your VO two max, the quicker you will recover, for sure. So that's a great point. So for those of you listening if you and it also it's going to whenever you get into that higher rate of work. Whenever, if you have a higher VOTW max, you're going to be able to breathe smoother. Okay, you're going to take deep breasts, long exhale because you're not gasping to constantly try to refill the oxygen.
Speaker 4: Refill and refill and refill.
Speaker 2: And then the build up of carbon monoxide is not a carbon dioxide is not is not overwhelming you, so you're.
Speaker 4: Able to better use it.
Speaker 2: So absolutely, if you have a higher view two max and you're gonna be able to bring it in, you're gonna be able to go at high levels and you're gonna be able to recover really quickly.
Speaker 4: And so absolutely trust your spot on.
Speaker 1: And don't be intimidated by this because you can really make quick gains doing this if you do the work. I remember training for one hundred mile bike ride, which I did, and that I was amazed how quickly the games were from having a really elevated heart rate, how quickly it would come down to not a resting heart rate but a manageable right. Yeah, that's the true signe The fitness is how quickly you can recover from those really, you know, high heart heart rates and oxygen views.
Speaker 2: You mentioned something that's so important, Sandy, is that a lot of people think, because our VO two max does biologically drop off with age, especially when you get to fifty, we really start to see a deep decline and then at seventy five it just falls off a cliff. And so people think, well, when I'm older, I just can't do anything about my VO two max. That is absolutely not true. There has been numerous, numerous, just reams of research that shows no matter what your age, you can absolutely improve your VO two max, and sometimes you can dramatically improve your VO two max. So to anyone out there listening, if you've never done anything, you've been sitting on the couch, heat potato, and you just you're listening to this for the first time, you're like, I don't really know what the heck VO two max is, but I can do that zone two thing that that nut was talking about. Understand this, no matter what shape you're in, no matter what age you are, you can absolutely improve your VO two max. And if you're younger, then I suggest you treat your VO two max and all of your training like a retirement account.
Speaker 4: Use compounding as you go. Do just as much as you can.
Speaker 2: Start doing a little bit, be consistent, don't let up, and the compounding effect of that will make it so that when you get into older age, then you are going to have a naturally higher VO two max. And again you're going to be more active, You'll be able to do more things you will. It's not always about lifespan. We're really good in America at keeping people living longer. What we need to start focusing on is health span, living healthier longer. And if you focus on your VO two max, you're going to take a really huge step toward doing that very thing.
Speaker 4: All right, we're going to take a quick break.
Speaker 1: Jason's coming back for another segment in just a moment, But Tricia, tell Jason the question you want him to ask before we go to break.
Speaker 4: Now, that's question.
Speaker 3: It was a comment about just from my own personal experience of what he's talking about, how quickly you notice results.
Speaker 1: All right, stay with keep that thought. We'll take a quick break more with Jason Wright coming up. Jason Wright is our guest today. You can find his podcast, The Jason Wright Show and also the healthy scene. Oh and we're talking about your VO two Max. Don't be intimidated by that. It's a little scary. It's like, what is VO two Max. Jason's done a great job And if you missed the first part of this conversation, you can download it via our podcast just search the Sandy Show. And what was your comment, Trish?
Speaker 3: Okay, So he was talking about boosting your body's ability to absorb and use oxygen, your VO two Max, giving his ideas of zone two training ways to make that happen. And you mentioned this and I wanted to mention as well. It doesn't matter, like you said, Jason, if you've just been sitting on the couch for three years eating potato chips, you get up and try it. You will be amazed at how quickly you see improvement. One of the things that sometimes I feel like people don't want to attack their fixing their health is because I think it's this long, crazy road that you will notice just breathing improvements almost immediately within the first few workouts. You'll notice your body changing fairly quickly if you have any kind of consistency in a short period of time. And that was the thing that I was most shocked at when I, after a few years of being like, I don't really care, when I got back on and started doing all this stuff. It's breech confidence, right, And yeah, over fifty you were talking about it being you know, certain ages, it's harder still still quickly see results.
Speaker 2: Our bodies are amazing machines. They are so adaptive. And look, here's the thing too, to remember. If you are in that bottom twenty five percent on votwo max, and there's some research. I'll share some of these tables with you guys so that you can have this just for your own use, Sandy and Trish. If you can just get from the bottom twenty five percent over into at least over from the If you can go from zero to twenty five percent to the twenty five to fifty percent, you can cut your chances of all forms of death. Okay, this is getting struck by lightning, hit by a car, whatever. You can cut it almost in half. I mean, wow, it is so dramatic. And then that's the thing. If you can get into that top twenty five percent percentile, that top quarter of VO two max levels, now we're talking about healthy elite, really up there, high then you can lower all forms of mortality by a factor of four. I mean, it's dramatic. All the studies show that there's this enormously high correlation between high veal two max and longevity and causes of death. It's just it's overwhelming. And the cool thing about this, folks, there's an I own a supplement company, Okay, I own a nutraceutical company, and I would tell you right now there is not one thing that we are ever going to produce or sell or make that will give you the benefits of training, exercise and focusing on things like lean body mass and your votwo max.
Speaker 4: There's nothing I can produce.
Speaker 2: There's no medicine, there's nothing to bottle, there's nothing in a shot, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: Doing this training is how you can get there.
Speaker 1: It's what my old friend Jonathan used to call haw hard ass work.
Speaker 4: That's all all. That's what it takes is ahaw right.
Speaker 3: And what you're talking about doing to achieve this, or about the crazy exercises that you have to have a special trainer to do, they are just maybe, like you said, for the eighty percent of the time.
Speaker 4: You want to be in that zone too.
Speaker 3: It's jogging while having a conversation or walking fast while having a conversation. It's not anything weird and tricky that you have to pay somebody to tell you what to do.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think one of the most magical things we can all do, you know, God willing, if you have the ability is.
Speaker 4: Go, go walk. You can get the sun, get that vitamin D, the breath. I mean, it's good.
Speaker 2: And it's not only good for your votwo max that we're talking about, just good for your emotion health. I mean, there's so many benefits just to going and having a walk, a long walk. And by the way, Andy Gallupin who is a genius at all of this stuff, he actually says that this long steady state workout, it doesn't have to be so dialed into zone two. Just doing the steady state work has unbelievable results. So if you're somebody that you go, I don't want to calculate anything, I don't want to wry about heart rate, I don't care. Go for a sixty minute walk and don't even worry about the zone two. Just get moving and once you see those results, like Sandy talked about the confidence breeding confidence that you know, what to do as you as you start to see success, then you.
Speaker 4: Think, well, maybe I do want to see where I am.
Speaker 2: Maybe I do want to check my my zone to see if I'm in zone two and really dial it in. But if all you do is go for a sixty to ninety minute walk four times a week, boom, there you go. And by the way, that is a perfect prescription if you can work your way up to doing about four hours a week of this long, steady state work.
Speaker 1: Your rock star, Jason Wright is our guest. Jason, I'm driving to Houston later today. You'll be my passenger as I'll be listening to your podcast, The Jason Wright Show and also the Healthy CEO. And as always, we appreciate you taking the time. You mentioned your business, your supplement business. Is it up and running? Can people order what's going on?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, you can go to Shopauthentic Health dot com and you can order these bundles. These are physician formulated. Doctor Gus Vickery is one of the most talented physicians in the country and he's actually by business partner. He formulated all these Now I'll tell you right now, as the CEO of Supplement company.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you right now, folks.
Speaker 2: Folks, the first thing you do is get your nutrition dialed in and then hopefully you'll get some blood work and then I hope you'll go to shopauthentic health dot com and you'll buy that foundational stack. We've talked about essential amino acids. We have our own formulation of those, and if you are a Sandy Show listener, I'm going to have them put a promo code in there that what do you want to do?
Speaker 4: Just just Sandy, just do it. Yeah, that's promo code.
Speaker 2: If you do promo code, Sandy, you're going to save twenty percent off your first order. So and by the way, Sandy and I didn't plan that, So thank you Andy.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: I just want to tell you I don't want to come on here thinking that I'm trying to sell anything. Folks, Do the training, do the exercise, get your nutrition dialed in, and then when you find those gaps, if we can help you at Authentic Health, we got the products. These are again, this is based on thousands of patients of doctor Gus Vickery and Troy Jackson over the years figuring out these universal deficits. They formulated these supplements to try to help you fill those gaps.
Speaker 4: That's what it's for.
Speaker 2: Get your health right, get your nutrition, rot your training right, and then come to see us, and we'd love for you to be a customer.
Speaker 1: Shopauthentic health dot com use the promo code Sandy for twenty percent off.
Speaker 4: Trisha is already there. I'm already looking at it.
Speaker 3: I'm already deciding when I'm putting in my cards.
Speaker 1: Jason, thanks for your time. We'll talk again next week.
Speaker 4: Thank you, guys, I appreciate it.