Speaker 1: Hey, this is time Rush and you you lucky dog. You're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience.
Speaker 2: Hey, Tom, here we go on a long three count in three two one, and welcome back. I'm Steve Kates, Doctor Sky. Welcome to The Doctor Sky Experience, exclusively here on talk radio seventy seven w ABC out of New York City and around the world. Our producer is Richard Dugan. The Doctor Sky Experience offers up great guests from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, and also celebrity guest in the mix about this common sense interviews about American heritage and American exceptionalistm and today, ladies and gentlemen were speaking with a gentleman who really doesn't need an introduction, but we hear on this particular this show, The Doctor Sky Experience are proud to have Tom Rush. He's a gifted musician and performer who shows offer a musical celebration, a journey into the tradition and spectrum of what music has been, can be and will become. His distinctive guitar style, rye humor, and warm, expressive voice have made him both a legend and a lore to audiences around the world. His shows are filled with the rib aching laughter of terrific storytelling, the sweet melancholy of ballads, and the passion of the blues. He's also coming for our friends out here in the western part of the United States as he travels all over the nation in the world. He'll be coming to the Celebrity Theater here in Phoenix, Arizona, on November the nineteenth at seventy am. Tom Rush. Welcome to the Doctor Sky Experience. How are you, my friend?
Speaker 1: Thank you doctor. It's good to be here. I'm doing it so much. I'm living the dream.
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly what we want to hear from all the guests. With all the turbidity, I know, that's a weird word, the turbulence and turbidity of what's going on here in our nation. What we need, in many people's opinion, is ways to go back to what the Golden rule and what I think puts us all in that expressive mode is music and music like yourself. And we're so happy to have you here today to talk a little bit more about your background. But describing yourself in just a couple of words, acclaim singer and songwriter is what comes to mind. So tell us about your background. Let's go back to the days of what Harvard, Harvard University and the great city of Boston, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Well, I did get my start back there. I hit. I came to Cambridge in the what was it, the fall of fifty nine, before you were born a kid, and there's this really amazing scene going on. And I got roped into hosting a folk music radio show on Harvard's radio station, thirty minute show on I think Wednesday nights. I had to have guests come on and I had so I had to go solicit people to hear on the show. And I go to the hooton Nannies what they called open micspect then, and I discovered you could get in for free if you had a guitar. And then I discovered you could get in for free if you had a guitar case. So I was six back in the guitar case and head out to the hoot Nanny and I got caught one night at a place called the Golden Vanity. It was hey, kid, get on stage. You got in for nothing. I had to borrow a guitar and got up on stage and did twenty minutes. It was terminally nervous, but apparently did well enough that I owner called me a couple of weeks later and somebody was sick and would I come be a substitute folk singer. And it's been pretty much down hill ever since.
Speaker 2: Wow, pretty amazing. So if you never got in there, this whole story, we wouldn't be doing today. I mean, just about time. Everything happens for a reason, I believe, and some good and some not good in life, but we're always talking about the good, and we're happy to have Tom Rush here, a very gifted musician, singer and songwriter, telling his story and talking about so many of the things and both you know, folks, obviously, if you follow this man's music, and hopefully you have, and by this interview, hopefully you'll learn so much more. He is coming once again to the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix November the nineteenth through seven pm performance. Get tickets wherever tickets are sold, and obviously there's so many out there on the internet. But this is fascinating and I want to talk a little bit more about this beyond that particular time. I want to hear a little bit more if you don't mind, sir, about Club forty seven, and exactly the whole genre of what you've put together here. It's amazing because people can go to your website simply Tom Rush dot com. I learned so much more about you. But talk about the existence and the whole concept of Club forty seven, I think people would want to hear.
Speaker 1: That, well, it was a coffee house in my mind it was. There were a lot of folk music establishments around Boston and Cambridge, but the Club forty seven, in my mind, was the flagship of the fleet, partly because it was one block from my dorm room and it was therefore irresistible. But they were the one place that brought in the legends. Everybody was hosting the local kids, myself included. Club forty seven brought in the people who's seventy eight seat collecting. You could sit in this little It was tiny, it was eighty six at eighty people, but you could listen to the Carter family, Doll Monroe Flat with scrubs on and on. They brought in a lot of the old blues guys, and I adored the blueskuys, partly because I was an English major. But these guys did this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to ask you, what'd you study in Harvard? So now we know an English major. How cool.
Speaker 1: I was going to be a biology major at the biology intro course. It's so bad that I had to switch to something. And Peter Actor, Peter Coyote was a buddy of mine back then before he was Peter Coyote, the actor, and he'll had said, well, English, English is a good background subject for almost anything. So I said, okay, and I signed up to the an English najor. That's partly why I'm a musician today. There's very little, uh, job opportunities attached to being an English nator.
Speaker 2: Interesting, so over there, I mean, just give us an example of some of the legends that came to Club forty seven because I was a New Yorker. You know, I'm out here in Arizona now for about thirty four years, but my roots go back to New York City and so many of the different clubs back there. I mean, even in the heyday of what they considered to be I don't even know if that's the right way to describe the genre punk rock, like CBGB's and all these other clubs in the village. So the history of Club forty seven I mean describe some of the acts that were playing there, because it sounded like the place to be if you're into this type of music in this time period, right.
Speaker 1: Well, Joan BIA's gotter start there, and there was also a very active folks seen in New York City. Dylan came out of came out of New York scene and those who you know a good deal of cross talk. Tom Paxton, it was just a guest on my online series Rockport Sundays. I was recording him two days ago. But Passon would come up, Van Rock gave and Rock come up, and Dylan came up to Cambridge and then we would go down there. It was a very different scene though, because in Cambridge there were a lot of amateurs and I mean that in a positive original sense of the word, people who just loved the music, had no intention of a coming professionals. It was a typewriter repairman who was a brilliant high harmony singer and mandolin player. It was the psychopharmacologist banjo player who was very popular.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these people had no intention of you know, getting matching suits and going on the road. They just love to play music. And in the I think the New York scene was much more professionally oriented. People didn't, you know, on their way to establishing careers. Anyway, some of the people that played there, let's see, Judy Collins played there. That the people I just mentioned, Furder Family, Flatten, Sdrugs, Go Monroe, some of the blues guys Sleepy, John Estes, book A White. I'm trying to think a lot of a lot of the blues guys played there.
Speaker 2: It's an amazing story. I mean, Tom, this is so incredible because when we look at the story of your life here Harvard, they're studying what Yeah, you're moving on to your real talents. Lie obviously, I mean no doubt about it in this whole musical area. Because here what I'm about to say to the audience, I think it's pretty powerful. How long was it before you got decided, you know, to play there at the club and then the time that you signed or were signed by Electra Records in nineteen sixty five. I mean, that's pretty amazing. How long were you at forty seven before Electra signed it? Was it like pretty quick?
Speaker 1: No, it actually wasn't. I was before I actually graduated at the club forty seven. They were pretty picky about who they hired. Yew I was playing, played a lot of the places around town, but there was a place called the Unicorn that was in Boston, and some guy came in and said, you want to make a record?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: His name was Dan Dan Flickingser, and I'd heard this before, and I didn't it really seriously, I said, okay. He actually showed up with this tape recorder the size of a washing machine and logged it down the steps into the Unicorn, and he recorded two nights, and I remembered him telling me it was unethical, morally indefensible to intercut between the two nights. He couldn't take the first verse from nine one and the second verse from night two, and really later is because he didn't know how to edit tape. But I was, you know, all of a sudden, I had an LP and nobody else did, and somehow that made that made a difference. I was somehow more more legitimate. I don't know. But then what happened was that Vanguard and Prestige came to town and started signing up everybody except me, and I didn't, you know, I didn't have a real record deal. This guy was distributing me Live at the Unicorn LP out of the backseat of a studebaker, and I think we sold all the league, maybe three hundred copies. But finally Paul Rothschild was working for a Prestige. He signed me after Prestige, did two albums for them, and then moved over to Electure.
Speaker 2: Well it's interesting. I mean, you lived it. I'm just reading this and I'm fascinated by this, and I'm sure our listeners are signed by Electure. In sixty five he made three albums for them, culminating, as you know, in the Circle Game, which, according to Rolling Stone, what ushered in the singer songwriter era. So that's amazing. I mean, your place in history in this is fairly well documented, well deserved, and it's always a privilege in honor to talk to the people that make the music scene happen here. So congratulations on that. I mean, even though it's in the in the history of the past there, it's just an amazing story.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, ushering in the singers, ushering in the singer songwriters thing was because that Circle Game album was the first time anybody had recorded Joni Mitchell, James Taylor or Jackson Brown.
Speaker 2: Wow, so these.
Speaker 1: Three brilliant writers were introduced in this one project. I wasn't trying to ushered in anything or for discover anybody. I was just basically looking for good songs.
Speaker 2: Well as evidence to that here, I mean, here's a quote and you know it well. Quote Tom was not the only one of my early heroes, but also one of my main influences. End quote James Taylor. I mean, what powerful stuff is that? I mean, God bless you. I mean your your humility comes across here. But that's a great accomplishment in this particular genre of music. But I want to ask you this, if you described to us in this particular episode Doctor Sky Experience singer songwriter. This is so interesting because you mentioned Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie. Here we talked about Joni Mitchell, Hank Williams, Paul Simon, James Taylor. Of course, I'm understood that even David Crosby, who was a singer songwriter then he crossed over to the rock genre. But tell us a little more, what's the what's this inspiration for singer songwriter? I mean, I'm not a music person, but I love to listen to it. And I love to listen, like many people, to so many bands and acts. But from your experience, Tom, how would you define singer songwriter In your experience, it's just amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's you know, I think it's it's something that's evolved Before James Jackson and Jony Ah, most most big stars didn't write their own songs. See, you know, other people wrote the songs that they performed and made into hits. And starting with with those three, singer songwriter became a thing. I wasn't actually much as a singer songwriter, although that that album Circle Game album did contain probably my most covered song, didn't call No Regrets. It's been done by by you two and Carl Nomel and a lot of a lot of people. I've recorded it. Put my first three kids to college.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: But I actually started writing more songs lately. I've written more songs in the past ten years, and I did in the first fifty and my latest album, which is called Voices, I think it's my best work and it's all songs that I wrote myself, which has never happened.
Speaker 2: Before, right, and a new song nothing but a man I mean. But in this particular interview here on the Doctor's Sky Experience. I want the audience to hear this, and I'm taking liberty to read something here because these are your words. But what I'm trying to get at here in a moment, I'd like to ask you to describe the feeling and what the meaning behind No Regrets is. But here we go, and you know the words by heart. I know you're livin's too long, overdue, too far, too long. I've had nothing new to show you. Goodbye, dry Eyes. I watched your plane fade off west the moon, and it felt so strange to walk away alone. So obviously as I read this, and I won't read all the lyrics, because what we're gonna do is we're gonna actually play this version of your amazing song. Here songwriter Tom rushes No Regrets an audience. I'd like them to hear this, and then i'd like to have you describe a little bit more about the meaning of this particular song, No Regrets. So here we go, folks are going to play that.
Speaker 3: I know you're leaving too long. O we do for far too long, and I've had nothing new to show to you. Goodbye, dry Eyes. I watched you play fade off wisdom, and it felt so strange to walk away along. It's no regrets, no.
Speaker 4: Tears, goodbye, don't want you back.
Speaker 3: We only cried again, say goodbye again.
Speaker 4: The hours of yours echoll like empty rooms, the thoughts we used to share.
Speaker 3: I now keep alone. I woke last night and spoke to you.
Speaker 4: I'm not thinking you were gone, and it felt so strange.
Speaker 3: To lie awake along.
Speaker 4: There's no regrets, no tears, goodbye, don't want you back. We only cried high again, say goodbye again, dark friends of dad, to turn my nights to day, strange faces in your place.
Speaker 3: Can't keep the ghosts.
Speaker 5: Away now, just beyond the darkest hour, just behind the dawn.
Speaker 3: It still feels so strange to lead my life alone.
Speaker 4: There's no regrets, no tears, good bye, don't want you back. Lead only cry again, say good bye.
Speaker 2: Well that was great. I'm glad that we had a chance to play. But let's talk a little bit more about the meaning of these words. I mean, may I ask you, is that a personal tragedy in your life about love? Or is this some compilation that you pulled together from other people who've had heartache? I mean heartaches everywhere but hopefully we come out of it and we feel better about oursel's.
Speaker 1: Actually an extrapolation from a real life experience. Okay, I had a girlfriend, girlfriend from New York named Juel Lumberton, and I met her in New York, and she actually flew up to Cambridge, flew up to Boston and spent the weekend with me. I never spent that many days and nice than anybody before. And I took her on Monday morning, took her back out to Logan Airport and put her on a plane, and it flew away, and it felt kind of strange being alone. And from that I just extrapolated it into being the end of a long relationship, which in fact happened and came true and we didn't break up after some years. Sure, but it was imaginary. The first first iteration of it was be thinking about, well it could feel like this this and that happened.
Speaker 2: Sure. Wow. And the last words, as you know them by heart. I'm just going and letting the audience hear this and please comment. I have no regrets, no tears, goodbye, don't want you back. We'd only cry again, say goodbye again. I mean, wow, the end of an experience but that's powerful stuff. And then let's pony off of that that so many other people in the music industry, what have done iterations of this particular song. Give us an example of some of the people who've done their version of Tom Rush's No Regrets. It's understandable that there's many people who've picked up on this and what's so great? What a high honor to have someone who's written something and in your original version. There's been iterations of that that also have what a different tone, a different sound, but the meaning of the world.
Speaker 1: There have been heavy metal versions have recorded No Regrets include Lee Hazelwood and Margaret Waylawn Jennings, Olivia Newton, John Shirley Bassey, Emmy Lou Harris, Robbie Williams. I'm not sure who that is. The Walker Brothers in England a huge shit with it. That was what put myents through college. Hazelwood, Midge you were who had a band called Ultrabox heavy metal.
Speaker 2: Heard about it.
Speaker 1: He did. Midge did it. That heavy metal version of No Regrets is so ponderous. He could only get two verses into an eight minute cut. And then there was some rap group and I can't think of their name. They had a big hit with No Regrets, which I did not recognize. Somebody played it for me. Why are you playing this? What is it? Don't you know? Don it's no regrets?
Speaker 2: No why I'm rush old me?
Speaker 1: And you too actually used to use the chorus in some of their stage shows for a while. There was an extra zero on my royalty statement that year.
Speaker 2: Well well deserved. And also I want to share with the audience here in our time today. You obviously returned with a big splash back in nineteen eighty one. Here we go folks selling out Boston's prestigious Symphony Hall. Describe that, I mean, that's no easy thing to do, and certainly a place like that. I mean you have people who know that, great performers there. I mean, what a great experience is. Describe that to this audience, to the even to this day of the stories.
Speaker 1: Well, that was the start of a series. I actually I actually own the name Club forty seventies Days and I do shows under that banner. I say that the theme of the shows is basically, there are a couple of established artists, myself being one, and then a couple of newcomers, brilliant people that you've never heard of, and I basically browbeat everybody into playing with one another. And the shows are a lot of fun. But I've done them. I've helped to introduce a whole lot of pull out of young artists and hopefully it's been helpful to them. But absolutely the series, it's been Anthony Holland Boston, an annual thing for a while that I've most have done it Carnegie Hall in New York and Kennedy Center in Washington, d C. And a bunch of leathers, resubstantial venues.
Speaker 2: It's a great story, Tom, But let's ask this question as this radio show is heard around the nation, the Doctor Sky Experience. We're here on talk radio seventy seven WABC at a New York City and around the world. I of course hailed from Phoenix, Arizona, but an original New Yorker. But this isn't about me. It's about you. Describe what people can expect when they come to the concert on November the nineteenth, Celebrity Theater. A great opportunity to experience your music not only in the past, but also the present and learn so much more about the thing that you have called Sundays. What the whole program that you do for Sundays. That's amazing, poscribal.
Speaker 1: So let's talk let's talk about the Celebrity Theater. Well, also, the same show will be in Tucson the next night. The Celebrity Theater is actually headlined by Dave Mason and Al Stewart, and I are going to support mister Mason, so it should be fun. I've worked I've not worked with the Day before, but Al and I have done a bunch of shows together over the years, and he's a treat. I'm looking very much looking forward to it. You know. Uh, the the online series you're referring to is called Rockport Sundays. Or urge your listeners to go to Tim Rush dot com and there's but and right steering in the face you can click the Rockport Sundays has been a series I started back at the beginning of the pandemic when I didn't have any shows. I said, well, okay, I'm going to do. Here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do a song and a story. This is video. I've got very professional video and audio guys helping me. But I'm sitting in my kitchen sing you a song and tell you a story and it takes about fifteen minutes, and I post them every Sunday morning, but they stay up for eight weeks. You can watch them whenever you want, and there's all different tiers. It's a subscription series of different tiers based tears ten bucks a month and people are eleving it. And now that I'm back on the road and back on stage, I'm still going to keep doing it. It's been a lot of fun and I'm roping a bunch of my buddies into being guests. We just recorded Tom Paxton, Jonathan Edwards has been there. I'm going to go up to Toronto and where in life foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a busy man. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Sometimes soon it's not a lot of fun and we just shoot the breeze and sing a song. I'll do a song, I'll do a song. Maybe you'll do a song together. And it's now we just had our one hundredth episode and I'm looking forward.
Speaker 2: To That's amazing.
Speaker 1: It really is.
Speaker 2: And people need to go to the website talk rush dot com to learn so much more about this. But your touring scheduled is awesome. Obviously here coming to the West in Arizona here in November. But also I'm looking on your schedule and you're going into the year of twenty twenty three. For all of our friends in the New York City market, don't forget he's coming in there April twenty twenty three. Areas like Connecticut, and I'm sure lots of other locations as your tour continues. A very proud moment in music history is where purget honor to speak with Tom Rush today, a very talented singer and songwriter. Obviously not just in my opinion, but the opinion is so many people out there. Again go to his website, Tom Rush dot com, and I got to ask you something else that's interesting here. I'd like to talk about your experience with COVID, because God bless so many people have suffered the heart of this particular disease. And if you don't mind, sir, just share with us your story, because I've understood you know, it's a very important story to talk about how you're a survivor.
Speaker 1: Well, I got it early on earlier after this is in March at twenty twenty and I was doing a string of shows in Florida, and I had a week off and then I had more shows in Florida, but at the tided I would go home to New England, to Rockport, Massachusetts, where I was living at the time, and I think on the plane going north, it's where I got the bug. But it was no fun. I spent five days getting worse, five days really feeling awful, and five days getting better. I was lucky I was not hospitalized. My doc I was phoning in, texting in my little statistics twice a day, and he said he came very close to telling me to come into the hospital, but I basically just got better on my own. I do not recommend it. I advise everybody he get vaccinated. I know the vaccines aren't perfect, but they will They will keep you out of the hospital and keep you out of the moor hopefully.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's amazing, but so many people have passed from this. As you know, I've lost some close friends here here, and I'm sure the listeners of this radio show far and wide around this country. Tom we all know the problems. But the good news is a survivor mentality is what people need out there, especially in these tough times. You know, we don't talk politics on this show. But obviously the way things are headed, it's a very divided country right now, no matter what our beliefs are. But the truth of the matter is, let's hope that through music like yourself and others, it brings joy and hopefully peace to the heart of the people that are out there. And I want to thank you, sir for being part of this radio experience today. Yes, Steve Kates, the Doctor Sky Experience once again, probably heard here on Talk radio seventy seven WABC out of New York City and around the world. Our producer and thank him ahead of time, is Richard Dugan. So we talk about these great realms and I know you probably don't know that, Tom, but the great way this radio program started was talking about because of my astronomy background, science, aviation, space and all that kind of stuff. But we have made it a habit to talk about so many I have so many celebrity guests, and we talk about American exceptionalism. Here, great stories to keep us proud that we're Americans, and hopefully our country continues in a positive play. So I want to thank you very much. Time's website is Tom Rush dot com. You get the last words sir, and I do appreciate your time here on the Doctor Skuy Experience.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for having me on, and I'm looking forward to coming out to Arizona. It's a treat for me to do shows. I just love. I love playing songs that I love for the people, and I'm hoping for doing it for another fifty years.
Speaker 2: God bless you, and let's hope that we can get there to see you in person along with many other listeners. Celebrity Theater for those listening on the West Coast or the western part of the United States, Celebrity Theater, Phoenix, Arizona, November nineteenth, seven pm. Coming across across the nation and back to the East Coast. This tour continues well into April of twenty twenty three, New York Metro Market. Thank you so much, sir. If you stay on the line with us as we go to the hard would like to ask you a quick a few questions. That concludes this interesting introduction and experience. The Doctor Sky Experience heard here again on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC in New York City and around the world. Until next time, Stay healthy. We do appreciate all of our listeners out there, and thank you FRO