Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Jim Cummings here. Welcome to my podcast, tuned In with Jim Cummings. We have a great guest for you today, but before we get to that, make sure you like and subscribe. Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to FANEXPOHQ dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. And with all that said and done, sit back and enjoy today's episode and as always, thanks for tuning in to Tuned In with Jim Cummings. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize draw and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at Patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now?
Speaker 3: How you doing out there? It's me Tigger I am Duc Wayne Duck.
Speaker 2: It's me Bunkers keep Bobcat.
Speaker 4: All right, y'all?
Speaker 2: Did it great?
Speaker 1: Your favorite firefly you desire?
Speaker 3: Hold no old knock guy.
Speaker 1: My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to tuned In.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, everybody to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I am producer Chris, joined as always by the legend himself, mister Jim Cummings. How are you doing today, sir, and good morning to you.
Speaker 2: It's yet another day in paradise.
Speaker 3: It sure is. It's true.
Speaker 5: We have a very special guest for you today. But before we get to that, I just want to make some quick announcements. If you didn't know what, we're doing the podcast live in partnership with fan Expo this year, that's right. You can actually come and see us record the podcast live. And it's been going great, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it has.
Speaker 5: I really had a ball. Yeah, like the energy that it brings when you do it live. It's it's a little different. We still try and you know, keep the same format, but you know, when there's audience engagement, you guys can come up and ask questions and everything like that.
Speaker 3: It's been cool.
Speaker 5: We just did the cast of Ed, Ed and Nettie Yes on Philadelphia this past weekend.
Speaker 6: It was very rewarding, it was. It was there's some funny beds. Yeah, a lot of special Ed, well, including you because you know Ed and the Wyan King. Well that's true. Yeah, that's true. I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: Wow. Four heads, four heads on one stage. You got to check it out.
Speaker 5: And I'll just give you the dates for the rest of the year, with more to be added to be sure. But the next one coming up is in Chicago Fan Expo August fourteenth to the sixteenth. Following that is Toronto August twenty seventh to the thirtieth, followed by Dallas September eleventh to thirteenth, and San Francisco November twenty seventh to the twenty ninth. Be there, Yes, if you want to get tickets, you can go to Fanexpo HQ dot com. You can find all the information there and there's more dates to be added, possibly Anaheim in a couple of weeks here, possibly Anaheim. So check that out all right, without further ado, Our guest today is a very talented man on camera actor, voice actor as well I think you have made You may have had more voices in Star Wars than any other actor.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 7: There's so many, there's yeah, there's a few, but I mean there are a lot of people who have a few.
Speaker 1: Yes, well you have more than James Earl Jones, Hamil guys right right, Well, Hammil's been around as well.
Speaker 3: He hides his voice in certain Star Wars. Yes, he's in there. Oh yeah, but before we get into it, let me at least say your name, the incredibly.
Speaker 5: Talented sam Way where it joins us today. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Thank you. How are you doing today? Doing good? Doing? All right?
Speaker 7: I was driving around Los Angeles and I was like, you know, I was a little bright, and I was a little bit like, I want this drive to be cool. So I put on the bever the Hills Cop soundtrack and l A is never cooler when you're driving around without.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Was that the Neutron Dance was that? Well, there was that. I didn't go as far as Neutron Dance. You know where I was living. I was living in the in this sort of action beat that you know, so like you know when when Addie Murphy is sneaking.
Speaker 7: Around and checking coffee grounds and all this stuff. Oh yeah, that's what I was doing. I was running my errands.
Speaker 3: But like very it was very intense, very.
Speaker 7: Cool, you know, just trying to make l a cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's working. Yeah, thank you job.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's much cooler now that you appreciate you started this campaign. Yeah yeah, yeah, Derek carrs and letters into saying.
Speaker 3: What Beverly Hills. That's that's all.
Speaker 7: You just need the Beverly Hills Cops soundtrack and your LA can be as cool as mine.
Speaker 5: Speaking of cool, one cool thing I learned about you, and I was doing my research for this episode, is that you're in a band called the crash Tomes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, maybe not as cool as Beverly Hill's Cup, but yeah, it's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: What instrument do you play or do you sing? A little bit? All everything?
Speaker 7: I sing, and then I play all the instruments except for drums. For that I have a buddy named Tim Hibben who is my drummer. And yeah, so we record music when there was time. Unfortunately there has not been a lot of time recently, but there will be there.
Speaker 3: Always is is in this business. Well, that means you're busy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we like busy, We like busy, we do like busy. But then when we're busy we go only I could be not so busy. And then when we're not busy, we go, God, what is going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you have that that actors thing? You get done?
Speaker 1: You wrap one series, you wrap one, shoot, you wrap one, this that recording session and go oh and now what I mean you're dug in? Oh no, that guy you're there.
Speaker 7: I'm the guy who whenever you're in a set or whether you're in a studio recording whatever.
Speaker 3: And people are like, hey, what's what's next for you?
Speaker 7: And I'm the guy who goes nothing, yeah, and then the day that ends, there will there. I'm sometimes lucky enough to there to be a next thing. I just never know what it is until I do it. So, so what's what'sn't as if as if there are actors out there who have this vast planned out thing.
Speaker 3: I find myself to be.
Speaker 7: At least for the past few years, it has been wall to wall, but never in a way that I can predict, you know, like soever, what's next?
Speaker 3: For you, I'm like, I think I'm unemployed.
Speaker 5: I think that's when people pull out the old. You know, I got some projects coming up, but I can't talk about.
Speaker 7: Them because they don't know about them. I don't have them. I have not gotten hired.
Speaker 3: But you know, yeah I got all this talk about it.
Speaker 1: But it's always I'm always gratified when that's true. Every now and then that's true. You know, like they had this thing for Hondo and Knockout wasn't allowed by Star Wars guy. Yeah, I wasn't supposed to talk about it, and all I did was talk about it everybody and that I could.
Speaker 3: That didn't make you sign an NBA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just didn't know I did. But yeah it didn't work apparently. Yeah, well I could still speak.
Speaker 3: You just for for Honda.
Speaker 7: You just did a whole refresh on the on the right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that'll be cool. I like to see that. I have you.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that ride when you see well, not just the ride, but I mean being part of that whole universe because you're all over Oh, that's got to be great.
Speaker 7: I'm a huge Star Wars fan, me too. For me, I'm just like, yeah, sure, I'll do stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, doing my research on you, I'm like, I was intimidated because I was like, I don't even know if I can talk about Star Wars, Like You're just gonna correct me on everything. Oh I'm not that kind, No, but you really are, Like you know so much about Star Wars it's actually so cool. And I a story about you, like literally like correcting you know the oh I'm going to.
Speaker 3: Yes. Much is made of that story.
Speaker 7: This is something that me and Ashley Eckstein, I think, talked about years and years ago, and and what needs the context that people need is that Dave has corrected me countless times. So the story needs to be recontextualized as like, yeah, I got him once. Yeah, I'm very proud of that I got him once, but he got me a million times.
Speaker 3: Telling her this story for the.
Speaker 1: I assume you mean the incredible Dave Colonel Delayed Delon.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you. Yeah. What happened was it was the first time.
Speaker 7: I was working on Star Wars project for him, and there was this wonderful scene between uh Anakin Skywalker and the ghost of his mother, Shmi Skywalker, and he says to her, I have a wife.
Speaker 3: I want you to meet her. And they did this wonderful take and was about to move on, and I raised my hand.
Speaker 7: I didn't know David, I didn't know any of these actors, and I was the new guy, so I said, hey, I padme and Shmi met in Phantom Menace. I don't think he would say I want you to meet her. He'd say something else. And Dave was like, of course they did.
Speaker 3: Because the thing is, you're moving so fast on these things.
Speaker 7: This's a thing that fans don't understand, is that when you are going that fast and you haven't had a lot of sleep and you're.
Speaker 3: Moving, you're moving, You're moving like everything.
Speaker 7: You know, whenever they I'll see some criticism of something and I'll be like, I happen to know other people that did that and they had no time or resources to do that.
Speaker 3: You never do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So this this, you know, this continuity error would have he would have discovered it, you know, ten minutes after he got back.
Speaker 3: To Northern California and be like, oh man, what was I thinking?
Speaker 7: You know, like is there are these are scripts that were given him that was the newest version of the script, this and that he was powering through it that morning and going okay, let's direct this.
Speaker 3: I've made the same types of mistakes. I've made some.
Speaker 7: Really like, you know, if they let me do what I wanted to do, it would have been a disaster. Then Brad raw or Dave Filoni or Matt mcdevitz would say like, no, no, no, no no. When we did maul in the episode, you know, this episode and this season four, yeah, this is what we establish.
Speaker 3: I'm like, right, of course, of course, you know.
Speaker 7: So it's a vast continuity and everyone is working really really fast, and the best you can hope for is that you just have a bunch of people around you are going to watch your back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well he does, he does, Yeah, he does. Well.
Speaker 5: I bring that up as a compliment to you, because if you're not a fan, you would have never noticed that. You know, if you were just in there, you know, for the paycheck or the job or whatever, if you weren't really invested in the universe of Star Wars, then.
Speaker 3: Most likely you wouldn't have noticed.
Speaker 7: My theory is that's why Dave liked having me around, because he's like, oh, he's a fellow nerd.
Speaker 3: He really likes this, you know.
Speaker 7: But he Yeah, there is no one that I know of that knows Star Wars.
Speaker 3: Better than him. That's right. It's very impairing because he would do these things.
Speaker 7: You'd get ready for a record, and you remember this, stand up in front of the cast, because oftentimes sometimes you show up at a job and they give you your lines and like say these and.
Speaker 3: You're like, great, what does this mean? What does anything? I'll just just say it in context. Ye say the words.
Speaker 2: You got to have context.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave would never do that to us.
Speaker 7: Dave would stand up and he would perform like a Star Wars monologue, describing exactly who these characters are, what they want, what are you doing, what's your your purpose in this story? Why is this story important for young people today? What does George want to get out of this story? What does George want from your character? And he would just weave this extraordinarily exciting narrative right in front of you that by the time he was done, we were like, oh my god, let's record. We're so excited. You just get everyone so excited about.
Speaker 3: What we were doing, get very passionate. Did you have that experience, Jim, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's well, he's extremely thorough like you were saying. He h you know, he say, well, of course, now you're gonna be going down and you're going to be seeing, you know, two wookies, not Chewbaca, not that these particular guys are from the southern side of you know.
Speaker 2: And I'm going, okay, and and I don't I don't, you know.
Speaker 1: I took from it what I could because half the stuff I didn't know what he was talking about was I was just so impressed with when somebody's that into something and they have all that in depth knowledge and they impart that to you. And then what's nice is, you know, Dave has his counterparts in the audience that because you go to conventions and you know, I'm sure you know you've had the same experience like well in the fourteenth episode, in the second chapter of the fourteenth on Paige, I don't know what page was on in the script, but did you really mean that? And I'll say, what the hell are you talking? Sure, yeah, I didn't know what they're talking about, you know, but I don't you bet you?
Speaker 3: And I really I admire that.
Speaker 1: I admire that attention to detail because God is in the details.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, And it's not only detail, it's enthusiasm. He has an infectious enthusiasm for Star Wars.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: And so when he would get into those I mean, dude, I was shooting some show that I will not name because they wouldn't answer a single question about what my role was, why was I there, what was this meant to be? And what does any of this mean?
Speaker 3: Which is not that usual.
Speaker 7: I've been lucky to work with people who will actually answer those questions and be like, Oh, he wants to get in, he wants to do a good job, so let's talk about this. So I was on this show and they would just like say the words. The words seemed utterly inconsistent. They didn't, you know, And nothing really gelled for me on that. And then I remember flying home because Dave needed three pickup lines for me for the finale of Clone Wars. And he walks out of the booth or the behind the glass and he goes, Okay, Sam, So where we last because we'd already recorded this episode, so you'll remember when we.
Speaker 3: Last left off.
Speaker 7: Your character's going through this, he's having these nightmares, he's doing these and he just goes into this huge Star Wars monologue to prepare me for three pickup lines. And let me tell you, there was no once he did your prep for you.
Speaker 3: It's he didn't have to prep at all. You were just excited.
Speaker 7: You knew exactly what he was aiming for, and he was excited to be there. You were excited to be there, and those lines for Star Wars fans out there, that's what resulted because we then started riffing on something and then me and Dave came up with the whole you're all going to burn, we're all going to die. You don't know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: It's all trying to be the guy. And Body Snatcher has been like your next, they're here, you're next. Oh yes, yeah.
Speaker 7: He has a moment like that in the end of the Far Wars where he's trying to warn everyone that the end of the world is coming.
Speaker 3: But that level of excitement was.
Speaker 7: Gifted to me me by our director Dave Filoni. So I truly love the way he does that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Dave, if you're out there, we love you and miss you.
Speaker 3: Hire us again. He's not busy at all. Yeah, to watch imagine.
Speaker 5: We'll sentially since you mentioned Maul you've been playing that character, voicing that character for fifteen years now, fifteen or sixteen, fifteen or sixteen years, and now you have the new show that just came out. Mall, shadow Lord, did you bring any new aspects to this character this time around?
Speaker 7: I better have if we're gonna do him after fifteen sixteen years, we're gonna do him again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, better have a lot of new aspects, you know.
Speaker 7: That's that's certainly what I've been aiming for the whole time, and what we what I.
Speaker 3: Hope we're continuing to him for with this character.
Speaker 7: Nice, you know, because it's it's with these characters, whether it's Hondo or Mal or any of these characters, it's like, you don't unless it's a fun little cameo. You can get away with some stuff there, but if you're going to put them front and center, you'd better learn something new about them otherwise why are you doing it. It's like when Hondo was with the kids and the younglings and you find out this guy's got a heart, this guy's there's some empathy there, he just keeps it covered up. Yeah, And when I saw that, I was like, yes, of course it would almost not be worth having Hondo here if you weren't going to discover something surprising about the character.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well I thank you for putting that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah that Yeah, he's one of my favorite all time guys. Did you ever have like for me when when I read long, long time ago they were sending out these breakdowns and blah blah blah, and and I just remember reading for him and and I thought, Okay, I really really really want to be this guy because he's not a good guy, and he's not a bad guy, and he's right there and and he skates around in the middle there, and he's like a sort of a paladin, sort of a you know, people have compared him to Captain Jack Sparrow, which I think, I mean, not not vocally, I would think, but he's a scoundrel, but he's a good scoundrel.
Speaker 5: He's self serving, self serving, but still with like a good heart, you know. Yeah, he still knows what's morally right from wrong. He knows what he's doing wrong. Yeah he knows, he that exactly.
Speaker 1: But you know, he's the kind of a guy who there's a certain robin Hood aspect to him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He Yes, I am a thief, huh.
Speaker 1: And I'm really good at it, so how about that. But on the other hand, I won't steal from your grandma, right right.
Speaker 3: I'll never forget Hondo.
Speaker 7: When Mall and Hondo had a run in, Yeah, and he had this one wonderful line read where.
Speaker 3: I had commandeered some of your men and they were working for me, and.
Speaker 8: You said, oh you you've done this thing. Oh you you betrayed me. I'm so proud. Yeah, yeah, betrayed. It was like, get me wrong, Yeah, but he screwed me. But a pretty good job, right yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's right. Well I like that.
Speaker 1: I like that aspect of him, kind of kind of rewarding. And do you when you see yourself, when you hear yourself this, is there a part of you that squirms a bit in anticipation because I get a little of that every now and then. Of course, I've been doing it for so long. I'm okay with it.
Speaker 3: But but you're on camera as well, And do you did you ever? You said you hate it? You really? I do? You?
Speaker 2: Just look he's coming.
Speaker 3: I know I don't even want to that's true. No, I I love doing it. I love telling the stories.
Speaker 7: I love also using whatever tools I have at my disposal to tell the story. I don't know that I always enjoy watching it when it comes to the.
Speaker 2: Vocals, well, this look you look like a rock star, a star.
Speaker 3: Looks like you're and you're sitting there like, yeah, I really.
Speaker 1: Can't stand it because I mean, after all, oh shut up and get over you know.
Speaker 7: It's it's well, but you know you it's it's all kinds of things. That's maybe you don't like something about how you look, but it's also you don't like something.
Speaker 3: About how you.
Speaker 7: Perform or behave, or you're like, what the hell am I doing with my hand there?
Speaker 3: What is that? You know?
Speaker 7: Like, so you know, and and it's not about with any of these things. It's not about having control for me over the craft. It's just I then have to confront what did I want to do versus what did I actually do? And the good news and the thing I always tell my friends is I'm like, the audience doesn't know what you want to do.
Speaker 3: They only know what you did.
Speaker 7: So if they enjoyed it and you got it done, mission accomplished, put it away. However, it is hard to you are I am confronting with that every time you're like, it's gone for that. But was the story told? Was it sort of told? Okay, it's told, Okay, I'll move on, I'll move you know.
Speaker 3: So it's that. But with the vocal thing, I think Mall is.
Speaker 7: So far away from my speaking voice that I almost don't recognize them.
Speaker 3: So I can watch Mall.
Speaker 7: And and maybe enjoy it more just as a fan, just be like, oh, look at starth Maul.
Speaker 3: I like that character. Oh yeah, yeah, that's good. Can you give us a little for the kids we need to gain Honda, Yes, we do. Yes, thank you for using my character's name in there. Problem. The characters are so interesting.
Speaker 7: What was it like to see Hondo as an animatronic oh figure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I I remember doing it, and and I've told this before. They they invited me over to imagineering Hisney imagineering, and and uh they're just kind of walking me through this incredible storyboard and it looked like what they do for a movie. And I go and and I said, so I was told that this is all on spec and you're not doing but look, you did this all this big rigmarole just for on spec and he goes, wait, wait, wait explained that what yeah, yeah, and and and that's what he said.
Speaker 3: And he and he and I got I forget it was with but he.
Speaker 1: Said, oh no, it's halfway done. It's already under construction. It's being built as we speak. And I go, and you're trying to convince me.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 2: You you couldn't let me. I would pay you to do this, could I would?
Speaker 3: You couldn't.
Speaker 1: And they think they think that they're pitching you. It's like, you're not pitching me. I'm dying to do this.
Speaker 3: Do you tell them that or do you Yes, I'd like to get my cars close to my chest and be like, wow, that's right. Interesting. Yeah, I think you're on the right track there, that's yeah, keep up the good to know.
Speaker 1: Internally, I'm just yeah, well, I figured I'll let my agent do the hard arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the hard bargaining stuff, right, Yeah, unbelievable. That's did you ever?
Speaker 1: I mean, I remember how old was I was. I guess I was a teenager when Star Wars first came out. Yeah, and uh, I just thought it was the coolest damn thing in the world, because it was the coolest damn thing in the world, you know, and you know, to finish growing up and and now growing old, but and to be involved, and it is just a kind of a dream come true.
Speaker 3: And there's a distinction.
Speaker 7: Also, look any Star Wars, I think is because because there's a lineage at that company that comes from George. So many of the people that we've worked with were trained by George, and so many the people that work on these things. Dave Filoni trained by George, but not only him, so many people at that company. He went to the Lucasfilm Film School with George. But what is interesting, what is fun, is that the animation division of Lucasfilm that was created by George, so it became the moment he did that it became a core part of Star Wars, and the fact that it is still a core part of Star.
Speaker 3: Wars is so incredible.
Speaker 7: Lucasfilm Animation has been around for twenty years now, and you know, so we definitely have the fun distinction of having served under George Lucas on his animated show. I just saw this video and I wish they'd made more of these public because they have tons of this footage and it was George Lucas. Someone was interviewing him and we'd all seen interviews with George Lucas. He goes, well, you know, Han Solo is on health and he's trying to figure out how to get the falcon, and.
Speaker 3: He'll talk about something that happens in the movie and a good impression.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I saw him discussing. He's like, well, you have to understand that Ventris being a night Sister comes from the planet Dathamiron, and that's a planet of witches, and the male female hierarchy is a different type of thing. They control the magic and the force there. And then the brother of Darth Maul and he goes into all these details about the Clone Wars, and I'm like, why didn't they put more of this out there? Because he was so involved in all those stories. A Hondo is an interesting guy because you know, because I don't know if you ever knew this when he played when they played the Young Ling arc, they cut together the me into one.
Speaker 3: Were you there in the theater when they watched it with the kids? Oh? With the kids?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think something.
Speaker 7: There was a presentation at one of the Star Wars celebrations and they cut together the young ling arc into a movie and they they actually just went to anyone that had small kids and said, you're invited to an event. You're invited to an event, and they played it and no one knows this. This is not of record, but I know this.
Speaker 3: George hid in the back watching it with the kids.
Speaker 2: How cool is that?
Speaker 1: I found out that that that's a common practice, George or producers and they sneak around and go in the back.
Speaker 3: He was in the back. He wanted to watch it with the kids.
Speaker 7: He wanted to see what they thought of this of these younglings trying to traverse the galaxy far far away with Hondo in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: And uh, yeah, well if you didn't know that, you know that.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's good stuff. So cool.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast Do It.
Speaker 7: Now, George, I believe wanted to be an animator, so animation. I think he went to USC So he's basically a failure animation.
Speaker 3: Yea, he failed spectacularly. By failing, he changed the world seven times over.
Speaker 7: Yes, but you know, it's it is interesting to think that people like George Lucas or Walt Disney or whomever, animation was a core interest and in fact, when you watch say the Prequels and stuff, I mean it had better be a core attress because some of those characters are in fact animated.
Speaker 3: That's what they are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know, the large chunk of those prequels are actually kind of animated films, the clones and the droids and the features and.
Speaker 3: All that stuff.
Speaker 7: So you know, I never had a chance to ask George, although I had some nice run ins with him, I never had a chance to ask him what he loved about that so much. But but people did sort of share with me that that for him, who you know, we had to spend years and years and years making these films, but with the animated thing, he could put an idea on the table and within a year start seeing that be finished.
Speaker 3: And that that was I understand, a real thrill for him and like, wow, look at that.
Speaker 5: Yea, yeah, well, I was just about to say that that makes sense to me because I feel like animation is like a very direct outlet of your imagination. You know, even with you know, cameras and different mediums, there's still you know, the lighting and there's a whole lot of other factors that you have to consider and able to in order to be able to bring a vision to light.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, animation is kind of you know, it's like direct it's a direct link, you know, especially when you're doing it by hand. Of course, people do it by you know, computer and everything these days.
Speaker 3: Our show is all of the above.
Speaker 7: You know, the paintings on our show are real Matt paintings in real life, real paint on you know, canvas or glass.
Speaker 3: You're talking about shadow shadow, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Where our map paintings are real Matt paintings made in the physical world that.
Speaker 3: We see that we photograph.
Speaker 7: You know that some of the pyro attacks, I pyro effects are I think are there's there's quite a bit of live action photography that we sneak in their spaceship or two.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: And then when it comes to the character animation, they I'm I'm a.
Speaker 3: Consulting producer on the show.
Speaker 7: So I get to to flit around like a butterfly between these different.
Speaker 3: Divisions and bother them.
Speaker 7: And what it's sort of what it's sort of resulted in is I get to hang out with the animation department and and and shoot reference.
Speaker 3: Not with the.
Speaker 7: Idea that I would dictate what it is that they're supposed to do because they've been animating mall for successfully for fifteen years, but it's throwing more ideas into the pop Have you thought about this?
Speaker 3: And like, you know, I come from live action, so let's you know. So, so when they they will choose the scenes, there will be key scenes.
Speaker 7: They're like, we'd like to know what you would do with this, So they would set me off, they'd give me direction. They we'd talk it over and they say we want this, we want that, we want that, and they'd show me the animatic and then.
Speaker 3: I'll show out we will shoot.
Speaker 7: Reference and and what's fun is is how they mix and match. I'll be watching them all performance and be like, oh, that little thing he did with his eyes right there, that was something that we came up with when we were doing that reference. Okay, now that's interesting. Oh they did a really cool thing there. Oh that's totally different. Okay, there there's a little thing that we've thought. So it's just adding more.
Speaker 1: Ideas to the nice. Well that's nice. Well God is into details, right sort of, I mean kind of.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that's Everyone on that show has been thinking way outside the box in terms of how we make that wow so so.
Speaker 1: Well and then and then you reap the harvest.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when it works, it's it's a it's a great thing. It's just you know, with Star Wars, the standard is sky high, so you feel like there's a pressure there then always yeah, I don't. I never when we were well received, I had to be reminded by our producer, Athena Portillo, who you probably know from you.
Speaker 3: Know, she's our fearless general, and she had to remind.
Speaker 7: Everyone like me and Brad raw who is the head of the show, the show runner, you know, filmmaker extraordinary.
Speaker 3: He's the Dave Filoni at this show, George Lucas of our show.
Speaker 7: And so he hands down the big ideas and then Brad and his directors implement that, and then the writer.
Speaker 3: The writing team is.
Speaker 7: Led by Mac mcnivitz, who goes way back with us with clone wars and all that stuff. But uh, Athena, who's I mean a nuclear power producer. She had to tell us, certainly tell me more than once. She's like, hey, Sam, we're airing, and yeah, I understand, we're still working on stuff.
Speaker 3: Put it away.
Speaker 7: Enjoy this, enjoy this, have fun with the fact that people are having fun with this.
Speaker 3: And she had to tell me that a few times. She's like, this is a special thing. Enjoy it.
Speaker 7: Put your worries aside, and then let's get back to work some days after we do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, But for.
Speaker 7: Me, if left to my own devices, I would have just brooded the whole time. I would have been like, what we have to do now? In season two?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, did you ever get that message in your career? I mean, with so many successful characters, and I mean you've voiced so many, you know, hundreds of characters, did you ever have a chance to just like kind of sit back and be like, yeah, I'm enjoying this now or was it always just one after another, let's look at the next thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little of both, it's a little of both and the thing that kind of turns it around. See, like guys like me, you know us, we spend our life lives most mostly alone in recording studios and uh and of course with COVID forget it.
Speaker 3: But but there'd be a producer, there's the writer, there's a producer.
Speaker 1: And recording engineer. So you don't get the feedback. You don't get that. It's not like you're in a play. And and so because you know, you get that automatic feedback, and that's why that's another thing I like. But going to conventions, you can see people come up with you know, in the third episode of The Mask when you were played the Swedish organ grinder. You know, it's so nice to know that that there is an impact out there because you don't get it.
Speaker 2: You don't get and.
Speaker 1: It's because when you're when you're in a play or something like that instant feedback.
Speaker 3: Oh they laughed, Oh that was great. Old Now they're crying.
Speaker 1: And you don't get that, you know, with animation or or or for that matter, TV.
Speaker 3: In general.
Speaker 2: You know, you do it, you go home, do you.
Speaker 5: Find do you find filming on that boring? I'm an actor myself. You said, you don't. I know you're being facetious, but you don't like acting. But I just think it's hard. You know, I was. I was a theater actor in college. You know, I really was in love with theater and being on stage and everything. And I remember when I got my first TV role. I remember sitting in the green room like, oh my god, this is just like waiting all day. Yeah, can we can we do something?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: You know, everybody, every team has their turn, you know, the graps, lighting, camera, get everything set up. Rehearsal is literally like I mean not every case, but it's like sitting there reading your size to each other. It's not really performing.
Speaker 3: It's Yeah.
Speaker 7: I've had moments where the tedium made me ask myself whether I enjoyed it or not.
Speaker 3: But I did come to the conclusion that I did.
Speaker 7: The the massive professionals that are all doing their job and creating the image and lighting it and making sure that there is something really exciting about that energy, and there is something exciting about the whole Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hurry up and wait. You're waiting. You're waiting, you're waiting, you're waiting, you're waiting, and they're like okay, good, all right, we need you to cry now show time action Yeah yeah, oh okay.
Speaker 7: And when you see actors that can pull that off and do whatever performance they need to on like you know, wait.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, and now you know, Yeah, it's exciting.
Speaker 7: I actually absolutely love being on a set provided it's a good group of people, and I've.
Speaker 3: Been it' very It's a challenge, isn't it. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I've been lucky to work with mostly really really nice, great people, and if they're funny, then you're you're dead because between all the setups, you're just cracking each other up, you know. I mean those are if you're a regular on a show those days there's anywhere from sixteen to eighteen or nineteen hours typically a day. If you're like one of the leads, you're there every day. So if you have a good group of people, then at least you have some sort of social life because you're talking to people.
Speaker 3: Wow, there's setups happening, and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're kind of living a little bit of a life on that stage. But I've done shows that were so all encompassing that my brain identifies the set or the locations as having really happened and I really like I kind of was that person. Yeah, on some I know the difference obviously, but like it's a little bit like, you know, there are certain sets that I'm like, that was my home lived there.
Speaker 3: It's a place that I lived.
Speaker 5: So I know exactly what you Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I worked crew on the CW's Arrow You're an Arrow, Yeah, for a couple of years, and it got to the point, you know, we're working You've worked in Vancouver, you know, on Riverdale and a couple other series, if I'm not mistaken up in Vancouver, and everybody knows each other up there, and just to what you were saying, you know, it becomes such like a family, Like it's like a work family, but you're there literally, you know, all day, Like you go home, you sleep, and then you're back. And we used to refer to, you know, like, oh, today we're in Felicity's apartment. You know, it's not Stage A three, you know, it's like we're in Felicity. Yeah, and then it just kind of like it's that blending of like what you're fantasizing imagining, you know, and what's really.
Speaker 7: Very attached to those spaces you know. Yeah, we on this one show I did called Being Human are set. Not to spoil it for anyone that watches the show, but at the end, the place burns down. So I remember we toured the set after the art department. It had their way with it where they burned down chunks of it. There were green screens where you were supposed to be able to see through the wall and stuff like that. That was traumatizing to walk through that set and be like, lived here for years, this was our apartment. Now it's it's it's burned down. Yeah, and we're going to shoot some scenes on us burn down set, and then they're going to take down the burn down set.
Speaker 1: That was yeah, saugh a little rough, little and that's after how many years?
Speaker 3: How many years of that show got four years?
Speaker 7: And and those those days were so very long that we we lived there. They did let us take home pieces of the set. I have a chair that was very proudly featured.
Speaker 3: In the in the show, and that share is mine now, so oh that's good. It's not burned down. No, no, they took it out a yeah, they put some wood there to represent it. They left, they didn't burn it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it's I know, I I do love the live action stuff. And what I don't love. What I don't I just don't love it is being on the road all the time. I don't love that. That's that's why I veered more heavily toward voiceover and other entertainment jobs, because, uh, look, I met a dog and that dog was like, bro, you travel too much.
Speaker 3: You know, this dog showed up.
Speaker 7: You know, I moved into my house eleven years ago and this dog turned up in my backyard two months oh after I moved in and suddenly.
Speaker 3: And this was the plan, was, oh, foster this dog or whatever.
Speaker 7: But I just I fell in love with him very quickly, and it took me a while to admit how in love with him I was. And he he's like he was this American bulldog boxer pit bull mix, or perhaps he was in a Lapaha bulldog. We don't really know. It's depending on the DNA test. I have no idea what his history was. But his effect on my life was he just he just took command in a very real sense that this dog like he claimed my house. He made me completely reconceive of my life, being like, hey, you've you've done all the traveling, been in any city, but where you live, you know, which is just what I did for I don't know, a better part of twenty years. And he's like, don't you think it's kind of cool to be here in one place, waking up in the same house, drinking your coffee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a little kimble being.
Speaker 3: With my dog, you know yeah?
Speaker 7: And he you know, suddenly it was more important to me to see his face every morning. I did do a few jobs where I was gone one point better part of a year, But the part that sucked about it is like I'd rather be home with my dog, and then he he rescued another dogs than I had two dogs, and then eventually three dogs like this guy. Wow, this guy made all the calls.
Speaker 3: And sold them a nagerie. Right. So for me.
Speaker 7: It reconceived of my work life balance, really, and so what I don't what I unabashedly don't like about film and TV is we don't do it here anymore. If it was here, yeah, and I could go home to my dogs, great, and then I would then I'd be like, I'm going to pursue the hell out of it. But the fact that I've lived in Vancouver. I think three separate occasions. I've lived in Montreal, I lived, I've.
Speaker 3: Shot in every city conceivable. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of all that travel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I always say, I completely agree, like La is not really like a film and television city city anymore. I really think it's more of like a social media city.
Speaker 3: Now, you know, explain it to me, because I don't know what La is. So yeah, I don't know. I came to this realization.
Speaker 5: I did a little like skit for a YouTube channel a few years ago, and I show up to set this during COVID.
Speaker 3: So yeah, a few years ago. It still counts.
Speaker 5: And I show up and it's an entire sound stage and I was like, oh, this is interesting.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I thought like maybe they rented out or something. No, this one YouTube channel owned the sound stage just for their one channel, and that was like eye opening to me. I was like, oh my god. And then another time, I'm driving down Sunset Boulevard and I see a billboard for a YouTube channel and I was like, I've never seen that before, you know, And you walk down Hollywood Boulevard, you go to Santa Monica, Venice wherever West Hollywood. You know, the night scene, it's all influencers, you know, that's like who's in the VIP this. I mean when I was a teenager, you know, running around doing my thing in la like, it was always like actors, you know, it was always actors or musicians. And you know, now you go out at night and you see people you know doing street interviews and you know, and that's all the you know, attraction and what people want to be around and at least in this city in my.
Speaker 1: Opinion, Yeah, but it's so true, and it's something that wasn't even there before. Oh yeah, it's a brand new thing. I mean, everybody's diving in. Everybody and their dog has a podcast.
Speaker 5: But then even you know, even further, how I say, I don't really think it's a film and television city anymore, is because the only real things that film here are like the massive budget things you know, with the A listers, either that or Indy you know, very indie, and the cost of the permits to film, you know, to be able to use any any kind of recognizable area in l A is just shooting, yeah, astronomical and so a lot of the times, you know, the indie guys are doing it gorilla style, getting what they can, you know, to try and put in a friend festival or whatever. And then you know, obviously you still have you know, the shows, like what's that Steve Carrell show where they're on the news. No, no, no, no, it's like the Morning Report, The Morning Report with a girl from Friends. I'm drying such a blank.
Speaker 3: We're doing great.
Speaker 5: And the girl from Friends, Yes, Jennifer Aniston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they filmed that. Like that's what I'm saying. Good for them. Man, I'm glad someone is shooting here.
Speaker 7: I mean, I just I'm I'm kind of deeply resentful about it at this point because it's like when I first I moved here for this mm hmm, isn't that it whack? This year we're talking about like we flew in and we saw blankets of stub over the city, right, and we put up with the time that it took, and then the city cleared up and the smog went away.
Speaker 3: But so did the movies. Yeah, what the I mean? I coincidza, dude, Maybe the movies make smuck. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: We need tax credits, that's what we need. Everybody just goes wherever the tax credits are.
Speaker 7: I'm I'm actively angry about it, because the thing is is that I mean I got the I when I was conceiving of being an actor.
Speaker 3: The idea was I would live in Los Angeles and maybe go from show to show.
Speaker 7: And I had that experience for just a few short years, and then suddenly I was in anywhere.
Speaker 5: But Ella, when did you get that urge in you, as like in your childhood or adolescence. When did you know that you wanted to do that.
Speaker 7: I did plays and stuff when I was in high school, but I never took it seriously. I was always like, it's for fun. I was coerced into auditioning for Juilliard and that's what gave me the first idea of about, Okay, well maybe there's something that I can pursue here.
Speaker 2: Well you must have impressed somebody.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the reason I got in is that I wasn't trying to impress anyone.
Speaker 3: I guess I was like, I'm just some kid, what are we doing here? You know?
Speaker 7: I had like long hair. I think that irreverence got me got me far. But you know, when I eventually was like after I was invited.
Speaker 3: To leave Juilliard after two years, and I accepted their invite.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, you're invited to I was invited to leave, and I accepted.
Speaker 7: Yes, I had to go to Chicago and seek out camera classes because I knew that I didn't know a damn thing about it acting in front.
Speaker 3: Of a camera.
Speaker 7: And and that's when I was like, yeah, I want to go to LA I want to I wanna. Really my ambition was to just like, maybe I can guess on a bunch of different shows.
Speaker 3: That was all I thought might happen.
Speaker 7: And that took me a while, but I started living that life and it was great. I was, you know, affordable rent, and you would get a job and you'd go like, dude, I just paid three months rent with this job and expenses and utilities.
Speaker 3: That's that. I just bought myself three more months of auditioning for the next job or then maybe the next job.
Speaker 7: You're like, oh my god, that that was three or four or five more months rent.
Speaker 3: But also, this show airs all the time. I'm going to get residuals that are going to keep me alive a little bit longer.
Speaker 7: And just kept stringing hope to hope to hope.
Speaker 3: I think it.
Speaker 7: Sucks that that there's no central location where actors can do that anymore. I think that's I also think that the city has become ridiculously expensive, and.
Speaker 3: So you are right about that.
Speaker 7: So when you say, like, oh, it's really a social media city, I'm like, tell me about what LA is, because, like I said.
Speaker 3: I'm playing the Beverly Hell's Cop soundtrack just to try to give it some shape, just to it's fine. What it is for myself is this is it? Jim.
Speaker 5: I think you've said the same thing about voiceover as well. You know, it's yeah, you know, I mean we've had so many people on this podcast alone where you know, we're all talking about recording, you know, just all in this area in Burbank. You know, you guys are sharing memories of studios that you all used to check out.
Speaker 7: In here by the way. But yeah, yeah, yeah, so voice cross paths.
Speaker 5: But I mean voiceover is also moved in a very similar direction where you know, it's it's like a give and take, you know, it's it's it broadens the opportunity for people outside of LA, you know, to be able to participate in this industry. What you know, you can audition from wherever. You can record voices from wherever. Yeah, but also it increases the amount of competition, right, yes.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: But you know, I remember, you know, I had this place in Missouri and I couldn't I couldn't spend much time there because there was no isd in line, there was no record there was no recording facilities there.
Speaker 2: Well, now you can.
Speaker 1: You can carry arounding that shaycase or a gym bag and you there's your studio.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'll take it. I love that part.
Speaker 3: Would you rather be in Missouri?
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Well, it was this big, huge acreage and there's three lakes and a lot of fish and a lot of deer and where the deer in the envelope play, that's they're playing there, and so you know, that's that was just kind of heavenly.
Speaker 3: We're actually stopped in.
Speaker 1: For a visit just just recently, and it was very rewarding. You know, there's a lot of life out See. The thing about California is the weather.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, my gosh, is that why people come here? Well?
Speaker 2: I think, well it's why. Yeah, that's why they stay.
Speaker 1: And all you have to do is like I'm I'm born and raised in Youngstown, Ohio. If all I need to do to reaffirm my love for California is to go to Youngstown, Ohio in January.
Speaker 3: So you hate winters, well, I get.
Speaker 2: It, But if you're not skiing in it, what's the point.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, make one snow man, got it, got that out of the way.
Speaker 3: Maybe a snow angel. Maybe a snow angel.
Speaker 1: But only if you fall down and you're already on the ground, So you might as well make it there. You might as well make it work. But no, I like to visit snow. I don't like snow to visit me. Interesting, see, I become a wither snob.
Speaker 3: I guess I don't know. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, so I know.
Speaker 7: Oh, well, you understand the concept, but weirdly, and tell me if I'm out of my mind, you're out of your mind. But also tell me if I'm wrong about this. I kind of miss it. I missed seasons.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know now I do miss the seasons, you know, spring and fall.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love it. Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I bet you did the same thing when you know you're in third grade, there was this thing that when the leaves started to turn, you had to go out and pick out a really, really good one, then take it back home, put it on wax paper, then you fold it over very carefully. Then you put a towel on top of that, and then you iron it, or you have your mom iron it, and then you take it to school. Look that mine's orange and yellow. And it was, it was, It was wonderful. And I do miss the fall because just driving around through Milk Creek Park for those of you who know where that is, both of you, and it was just I missed the seasons.
Speaker 2: I just don't want to be forced to sit and snow all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all. Well.
Speaker 5: When I moved here as a kid, it was a culture shock to me to not have seasons. I grew up in Vancouver, and when I first moved here, I was I remember telling one of my friends. I was like, I didn't know this place was a desert and they started laughing and they were like, this isn't a desert. Like look at all the you know, the trees and the grass. I was like, that's all irrigating, Like that's not naturally growing. Yeah, and the other thing that culture shocked me was the Christmas lights with like no weather. It was like sunny and like people putting Christmas lights and snow snowmen out on their I was just like, that's kind of weird, Like why are you putting a snowman up?
Speaker 3: Like there's no snow here.
Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, So go ahead and join the tuned in family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings podcast.
Speaker 3: Do it Now. I grew up in a sort of John Hughes territory. That's where's that. Well. He went to a high school called Glenbrook.
Speaker 7: North in Northbrook, and I was one town over at Glenbrook South being gle and so, and I knew a lot of the kids that know, our high schools were sister high schools. So if you think about Home Alone or Ferris Peeler's Day Office, you know, Sixteen Candles, any of those movies they were all shot around there. So that's sort of that's what it looked like, you know, when I grew up. So when when a John Hughes movie came out, I helped the breakfast club. High school is within a mile of the house that I grew up in. Oh yeah, it's like a police station hour or something. But it's yeah.
Speaker 3: I you'd see those movies and I'm like, yeah, that's that's life, that's how it goes. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but but yeah, I do miss the seasons because I felt like feelings felt different in every different season. Yeah yeah, I think so, Like you know, name and emotion.
Speaker 7: There's a variety for that in fall, in winter, in summer and spring, and.
Speaker 2: Plus the smells.
Speaker 3: I love this, you know.
Speaker 1: You know, Autumn smells a certain way, not smells like bad odor, but it's got its own fragrance.
Speaker 3: And spring yeah obviously you know. So yeah, I know what you mean. I know it.
Speaker 7: To me, I will say this, if I hadn't grown up in Chicago, I found myself so cold on so many sets. For whatever reason, I just the luck of the draw. The jobs that I've gotten, they're like, hey, you're you're gonna you know, it's like Vancouver.
Speaker 3: Yea, Vancouver. Who I am in Vancouver, And They're like, we cleared out this patch of street.
Speaker 7: You'll be laying there naked and we're gonna get all these shots and I'd just be shivering the whole time. Or like I remember this one time where we were shooting something and there's all this snow, and then they but it was supposed to be not at that time of the year, so they cleared out an area the alley and pretended it was warm and pretended it was warm. And I'm wearing like a button down shirt. Yeah, And I'd never been so cold in my life. And I remember thinking like, wait a second, hold on, but I'm from Chicago.
Speaker 3: I should be able to weather this.
Speaker 7: And I was like, wait, no, in Chicago, I spent most of my time in the winter indoors, not outside, not.
Speaker 3: For fifteen hours.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And so I remember drawing a bath for myself afterward, so cold, and I'm laying in the.
Speaker 3: Bath and it's it's like four am or five am. I've gotten home. I'm in the bath and eventually I'm like, something's wrong. I feel the water.
Speaker 7: I'm like the water's cold, and the reason it was cold is my body had leashed all the heat.
Speaker 3: My body was an ice cube. So I had to get rid of all the water, draw another bath. Oh Jesus, because it had gotten in there. It was so yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: It was just defrosting.
Speaker 7: Oh god, it was Yeah. I know what you mean by it can be unpleasant, But yes it can if.
Speaker 3: You have heating, if you're lucky enough to do that.
Speaker 7: I think there's something wonderful about coming out from the cold into a.
Speaker 3: Warm house or apartment and I'm like, oh h how's it going beating? Oh god? You all you know been from Mixtent.
Speaker 1: I can remember going down and stoking because we had a coal furnace when I was We little took years and then all of a sudden we had this magic gas furnace that produced heat.
Speaker 2: But you would have to go down and.
Speaker 1: Boy, we're boring the hell out of certain people like that, and you'd have to get to shake the thing to get the clunkers out because the coal would not cut you. Guys don't even know what that hell I'm talking about. But the coal doesn't burn completely. It just get turns into clinkers, and then you got to grind those up, let those fall, put in more coal, and then you go stand over the heater and you burn your feet. And when your feet are burning, you have to leave. So it's either you're freezing your ass off or being burnt.
Speaker 7: Okay, so you see, I maybe this is why I liked winter. I didn't have the coal experience.
Speaker 3: And oh yeah, I there was heating, it was eating. Have to worry about.
Speaker 7: It always a good thing. The only thing we had to really do is just like make sure the water is running a little bit of the pipes, don't freeze.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's that, I remember that. Ye.
Speaker 7: So, but maybe what if I you know, the interesting thing is I've I've I played with in my head, like what if I moved back to Chicago and see if I could work remotely.
Speaker 3: Or something like that.
Speaker 7: And I wonder if I went back, if I would just be like, oh, I'm a whimp. I can't handle this because I used to. I used to when I was in school in New York. We would be going from building the building and we were doing movement classes and voices, speech.
Speaker 3: All the stuff.
Speaker 7: So we were always like in sweatpants and like a tank top or like we were in pajamas the whole time. But my classmates would put on their jackets when they would move between buildings, and I would just be going and I'd be wearing like just a tank top, and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, how are you it's it's it's there's snow. How are you so okay with this?
Speaker 7: I'm like, I'm only outside for a lot from that building of this building is four minutes walk.
Speaker 3: It's not a big deal, but you get past the threshold of you know, stay out there for twenty minutes, and these kids twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: They're from Florida, so they really don't know what they're about.
Speaker 3: That's right. And so I had some resistance, but I wonder if I still have the resistance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have a resistance to going going there.
Speaker 3: You've built up a resistance to no, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 5: Well, we've talked about voiceover, We've talked about on camera work. Another aspect of performance that you're familiar with is motion capture, which is kind of new to this whole, you know, entertainment industry. And you did a great job. I'm days gone, Oh thank you. Yes, it's a very good game. Underrated game in my opinion.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you, you know, we talk about cons and stuff like that. That game broke through. So many people want to talk about that game. So whether whatever the media narrative is, you as it. When we do jobs, you lay out the pictures from all the jobs. You learn real quick what's broken through and what happened, and what people care about, what people have remember years later all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Day's gone.
Speaker 7: Is one of those people all want to bring their game or they bring the stuff. You know, it's yeah, yeah, the we're talking about, you know, like I guess the half the life, the whatever, what are we're talking about. I think if there's there's one thing I'd love to bring up is the fact that all of those performers in that game, if you look at IMDb, their their voice credits, and it's like, well, that's not the totality of what they did. We shot all of that, right, you know, we shot for four years and and those performers all delivered really really good everything performances. Their faces there there you know, everything is that you're wearing a helmet with a camera on your face. Yeah, you got the dots on the suit and you have a microphone.
Speaker 5: So that you're sorry interrupt. Was that your first experience with motion.
Speaker 3: Capture performance performance capture? Yeah, it is not. I don't remember, no, no, I guess my first experience with that type of thing would have been the Force on Leash. So, oh, there you go in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 7: Very primitive by today's standards, but that's what they were doing. And it was this weird thing where they were like casting for a Star Wars video game, but they wanted my headshot, my resume and all this and real and I'm like, why why.
Speaker 3: Would you need my real and because they're like, well, they're.
Speaker 7: Going to make it look like the actors and they're going to use performance capture to capture the performances.
Speaker 3: And that's the theory. The theory is is and I'd never this was like maybe the first time.
Speaker 7: It's had ever really been done in video games to do it all the time now, but they're like, our theory is is that the actors are linked with their likenesses, are linked with their movements or linked with everything, so we're going to try to bring that actor more more into the process.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I'm very grateful that they did that because that was my intro to Star Wars on that did.
Speaker 3: You ever work with David Collins? With David Collins.
Speaker 7: Voice actor but also sound designer, musician, I don't think so. Yeah, he was the in fact, you know what I'm going to say, I'm going to venture to guess. I'm certain he's probably directed you. Oh, he's He was working at Lucas Arts at the time as and he was the lead sound Unforced Unleashed. But he also he snuck my headshot under the pile so that I get an audition.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, let's go Dave. Yeah. Yeah, And he's on Shadow Lord.
Speaker 7: He's the lead sound there. He's also a character, he's Spybot.
Speaker 3: He's the way the jerk droid who Maul loves very much. So yeah, wow. Anyway, friends are important in this industry, Yes, yes they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well you know, I you know, I'm sure you know Frank Welker.
Speaker 3: Know of Frank Welker. He certainly I don't know him. You know of him very Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, he's he's an amazing guy and he one of the coolest things ever happened to me came directly from him. He was into he was in for a job for a job and he was given it. Hell and he and he's known for his sound effects and animal sounds.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's.
Speaker 1: Everything anything and uh and you know, he said, well, you know, and he's like the only guy who could who would have even thought of doing this, you know. And he told him, he goes, well, I'm not that I'm really not feeling this. I'm sorry, you know, I don't think i'm your guy, which it said, no one ever and and uh and he said, you know what, just a shot in the dark hair, Why don't you call Jimmy Cummings up see see if get him in here, give him a shot and see what happens.
Speaker 3: And so they did.
Speaker 1: And I went in there and all I did was for about an hour or so was laugh and and it was for Lion King, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And that's how I got into the Lion King.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that to you, yeah, he just said, oh and and I went, oh, you freaking kidding me. So I sent him roses and champagne and just all this, you know, I mean, it really is one of the things that one of the landmarks in my life, in my career.
Speaker 2: Crazy, that's insane, and all I did was laugh.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. Yeah he yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh and it also led because you know, I'm kind of known, I guess as a singer.
Speaker 3: Without him.
Speaker 1: I also wouldn't be in the soundtrack because I think be prepared for Jeremy I see for Thank You Frank again.
Speaker 3: Yeah me. Yes.
Speaker 7: For people like me and a lot of the the younger actors in Clone Wars that our generation, it was always a thrill when we would sort of cross paths with you or Corey Burton or whomever. We would just be so I was just like, oh my god, you know the real guys are here, you know, because we're just the pretender kids'ing yet. But I certainly I've snuck into I never had an opportunity to sneak into one of yours, but I've snuck into sessions with people like Corey Burton where I'm just like hiding out in the back watching how does he do that?
Speaker 3: You know? He's amazing? Yeah, I mean it's it's for me.
Speaker 7: The voice acting thing was always like how do you how do you get into that club?
Speaker 3: How do you do that?
Speaker 7: And now now I feel like I'm maybe I'm not a voting member of the club.
Speaker 3: But I'm in the club sort of a little bit. Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: But I was always just so astonished, you know, because all of those characters, that's our childhood. Dude, I I I adventured with you.
Speaker 3: You were Minsk in Butther's Gate.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. I spent a lot of a kick out of that that I'm had to hear.
Speaker 3: That for the eyes, Yeah, the ice get the Heapster of justice. Wow, he's shown up. You know.
Speaker 7: I'm I guess somewhat of a D and D A story, and I've I've written some books on it. Mink shows up and supplemental material for the tabletop game. Really it's a famous character, but it's it so for for me, it was always just so very very cool too. To see you gentlemen come and go and do whatever. It's very very cool. I regret greatly that I I was in I think I was in Montreal when we were doing our episode of Clone War, so I don't think I got to actually work across from you, but I certainly cursed your name in the spirit.
Speaker 3: Of you when when Maul was shaking his fist at Hondo. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I knew who I knew your care I knew exactly who I was dealing with. Yes, you so, but you know because ultimately, when you do it right, you have all the actress together, and of.
Speaker 1: Course you bet you know, yeah, I so prefer that, and you can all kind of tell you can't, you know, yeah, when they're when they're all in the room, because otherwise you end up doing every line like four times, just in case it doesn't fit following the line before, and just in case it doesn't fit for setting up the line the next line, so you have to cover all the basis. Whereas, if you get which I really love, having the whole cast in the one big room, do it all together, and it's like doing a play, and then it's organic, as they say, it's much more organic.
Speaker 3: It just feels better. It does. It's you know, it flows, you know, you can just tell I don't know.
Speaker 7: It's true, it's true. It's on Shadow Lord. I just basically like where we cannot be doing these scenes. I need Gidy in there to work off of. Otherwise I have no idea where this scene's going to go, you know. And what's interesting with with Shadow Lord because sometimes we have a bunch of live action actors in it and people are flying all over the world and can't always get people even even connected remotely, so I end up being just the reader. I know, I'm in all of the sessions, so I know exactly what that actor did, so I try to do an approximation of what that actor did for the other for some other actor and stuff like that. But it's you know, there's no comparison from when you can have the actors all.
Speaker 3: Working together in the room.
Speaker 5: Did you guys get the opportunity to do ensemble for some of it some.
Speaker 7: Of it When we didn't, I try to make up with reading with the other actors, but but we did at.
Speaker 5: Times, you know, to do that. Yeah, I'm excited. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm excited to check it out.
Speaker 3: I hope you like it.
Speaker 7: We made it with the intention of maybe you don't know Star Wars.
Speaker 3: That's okay, we got you. We'll explain our version of Star Wars.
Speaker 5: One question I wanted to ask you on the subject of mal Just the character, was if I'm not mistaken, you were the first person to give him a voice correct incorrect, incorrect.
Speaker 3: Shoot.
Speaker 7: He was voiced by Peter Sarah Finowitz and very well by the way, in Star Wars episode one of the Phantom Matas, he had three lines.
Speaker 3: There wasn't. I don't remember him talking in that. Yes, my master, he did that. It was as yes, it was yes mama. No, no, he has one though. There was one line where.
Speaker 4: He sponsibly populated if the tricks was correct, that will find them quickly. Master a lasts, we will reveal our song, so the Jedi at last, we will have revenge.
Speaker 7: It's the way that he did it. Peter your checks in the mail. Yeah, so he that was the building block. That was the foundation for what Mike, So, did you work off that voice to develop my character? You needed to believe that that was his voice ten years before you met him, because he went through a whole awful experience for ten years and you meet him ten years older.
Speaker 3: So we thought there was some wiggle room there too.
Speaker 2: Was he doing time he.
Speaker 5: Basically yeah, yeah, doing dirt appeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so hard time squad. So there needed to be a sense that that was his voice when he was a young man, and specifically that was.
Speaker 3: His voice when he was going yes sir, no, sir, You know yes sir no, sir, you're just standing on ceremony, and then me and Dave devised that his actual voice that if you get him eating Dorito's and sipping on a mountain dew in a basement playing contra, he might be like, oh, come on, this game cheats. You know.
Speaker 2: That's a good visual.
Speaker 3: Damn your got.
Speaker 7: Very specific there, longing for the basements of my youth.
Speaker 3: I suppose did you know you were always going to do this? When? When? Did you know? When? Did you know? That's a better question.
Speaker 7: Perhaps I wanted to be an actor red, Like I said, I thought I would just sort of like go from.
Speaker 3: Well, now, wait a second. There was some were you eat a lot of plays as a kid, great school it was, but it was always for fun. I never took it seriously.
Speaker 7: Wow, So it's some But at some point there was, at some point there was some notion that I would because that how did this all work? I guess on some level I was always I had the belief that I'm like, no, I'm going to get some really cool experiences. I'll get to do some movies, I'll get to lead my own show, I'll get to do all these things.
Speaker 3: Somehow those things came to pass. I don't know if it was lucky, guess, but certainly luck had a lot to do with it. I'm not one of those people who goes, you know, I mean, you know, I worked really hard and this, and then I just climb the ladder and I worked hard.
Speaker 7: But yeah, you think you worked all Yeah, oh, because they didn't work hard. No, everyone works hard. Everyone who gets anywhere works hard. It's just that some people work hard and then also.
Speaker 3: Get to be lucky. And I'm one of those people.
Speaker 7: So I don't I don't take credit for the entirety of what's happened to me. I've been very, very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.
Speaker 1: It's several Ok, there's nothing wrong with that, you know. Harrison Ford, of all people, was asked, he said, what what do you It was one of those entertainment Tonight things and they said, so to what do you contribute?
Speaker 3: I mean, were you just dedicated and this and that?
Speaker 2: Because I mean, you know, Indiana.
Speaker 3: Jones Hans, so, oh my god, could could you be any bigger?
Speaker 2: He goes, I was just lucky.
Speaker 3: It was just sucky. What Yeah, that's how he said it. It was just lucky. It was in the right place. At the right time.
Speaker 7: Again, that's charlish and Jordan at the casting office and George said, hey, Harrison, you want to read for he and solo?
Speaker 3: And like, what the hell is that? Yeah? He was the reader. That's great. He was the reader.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so Mark, Carrie Fisher and Kurt Russell and a whole bunch of people came in to read for.
Speaker 3: The role, including I think walking.
Speaker 7: And and uh and I think Paccino might have even read for it.
Speaker 3: And oh my god, there's a skit. Yeah, it's a skit for you. Okay, So Michael Corleone's here. Great, Yeah, that's really good.
Speaker 7: So so but Harrison Ford was the reader, and and it was. It was after a few seconds, I guess, after they he'd been reading with various people, They're like, we should pair him up with the group of his own, because Lucas wanted to hire a group. These reactors work really well together. These reactors work really well together. These reactors work well together. And and then he paired Harrison up with Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill, which is, you know, seemed.
Speaker 3: To have worked out.
Speaker 7: Might be on disres but it's it's rings a bell, fascinating.
Speaker 3: That's the way they did it.
Speaker 7: And you know, and they they really those three actors just had their their territory.
Speaker 3: You know, and and and all three of them, speaking of.
Speaker 7: What we're talking about today, had extraordinary vocal mechanisms. And you can't you can't tell me that Harrison Ford, even though he was born with this amazing mechanism.
Speaker 3: You see what he does with it. You're like, no, that guy knows exactly what he's doing with his voice.
Speaker 7: That's what you know. There's never a moment where you don't understand Harrison Ford. You know, Cherway, take the professor in the back and plug him into the hyperdrive.
Speaker 3: You know. He he's you know.
Speaker 7: And then Mark Hamill gifted great ear, extraordinary, really good. And Luke Skywalker's vocal performance is totally underrated because he goes from you know, but.
Speaker 3: I was about to take to take the power converters. He goes from that. That's the line I always think of.
Speaker 2: That was it was in my head.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so you go from that performance to the joker, I'm not afraid You're weird, and he's he's sort of halfway.
Speaker 3: He's springboarded from that. Luke this you know, oh you bet I could I'm not such a bad pilot. Stuff. We have to sit here and listen to. It goes from that to I'm not looking for a friend, I'm looking for a Jedi master.
Speaker 7: A little bit of the kid, but that's different. That's an older guy right there. He's been fighting in the war for a few years. And then you go to a return of the Jedi.
Speaker 3: He goes, soon I will be dead, and you with me saying to the emperor announcing.
Speaker 7: Like, you know, your over confidence is your weakness, and you're just like, this is a guy who knows exactly what he's doing in terms of the trajectory of the character of the performance, the physical performance, the voice. Then of course you have Carrie Fisher, who has one of the most epic voices in cinema history, just like who sounds like that. She just had this extraordinary depth and gravitas to her voice, and yet she was also, you know, so charismatic, soft at times, very very driven at times, the natural leader of the three, you know, so much was just how those actors use their voices, you know, And I have this thing with actors where I'm like, if you can't do a halfway decent, it doesn't matter who you are, just a regular person on the street. You'd be like, do Christopher walking. They'd be like, well, it's crazy, you know, or they would do some approximation and they would say it's crazy, you know, you know, wow, Yeah it starts off like that. But he always that's in the same place. But if you or you know, the FBI is going to pay me how to sif you know, like, if you can't do an impression of an actor, even a bad one.
Speaker 3: It's possible that that's not a very interesting actor. It's possible.
Speaker 7: There are exceptions, people who's you've got something really crazy going on here or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean Marty Feldmann eyes.
Speaker 3: That's right. Maybe not that much, but yeah, a little too much character, right, but but no, maybe just the right amount.
Speaker 7: But the actors who have interesting voices, they they give you something that solidifies them in your brain and and and do they bring character to it, which is again unfortunately a little bit we've swayed too far into the ultra naturalistic world in terms of film and TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can tell you how many times, what do you mean, well, I know John there, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, they're like just just be man, just be and then you know, so these people are just stay in lives like this, and.
Speaker 3: Then everyone turns on the subtitles.
Speaker 7: Because they're just talking like this and there's no real voice and there's no real ability, you know, and what what how?
Speaker 3: How I was trained by my.
Speaker 7: Voice and speech teacher for two years was don't think of it as you're.
Speaker 3: Putting on a voice to be to put on a Don't think of it that way.
Speaker 7: Think of it as you really need to get that person to understand you right now. You need them to whatever it is you're trying to get them to do. You're trying to convince them of something and trying to express something that's really important to you. And that's why your character's voice sounds like that, That's what that is. And so I was always you know, speaking of being human. I I the character's voice is not my own, but I'm like, oh, I think he expresses himself like this and did it the way that I did it.
Speaker 3: But I wish we had more latitude to do that in film and TV. Where I mean, where's the James Cagney's of today? They don't exist? Where's you know?
Speaker 2: But I thought that was you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot, but you know, it's I there's so much possible that you could do with film and TV. There's so much and and because they wanted to be so naturalistic, which.
Speaker 3: Hey, look go ahead and do that. That's great, But does everything have to be like that? You know Orson Wells.
Speaker 7: There was this great interview I saw with Orson Wells, or maybe I heard it from Rson Wells.
Speaker 3: I mean it was remember when he did the War of the World's thing. Oh yeah, so yeah, he did this thing. He did a radio play of War the worlds and they played.
Speaker 9: It like the Humanity, the Tripods of la They did a sort of faux fake.
Speaker 7: News reporting whoever that was, yeah, of aliens landing the Earth, and it was so well done that people it created hysteria. People thought they were listening to the radio and there were news reports of aliens attacking the planet Earth.
Speaker 3: And so there are these wonderful Oh there was these wonderful energies with Orson Wells where he's just he's well, I'm sorry, I truly it wasn't our intention to create a hysteria. And and you could see that he's sitting there. You can see that the guy inside him is going, this is so ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, guys, he said he was really got a kick out of it doing it. Probably, yeah, like we but but it was, like we said, it was a radio play. There were even like little station breaks where we called it the War of the World and that's an HG. Wells thing and and okay, so a bunch of people.
Speaker 7: So you could see that he's he's really trying to feign as if he's really sorry that people were so upset, and certainly wasn't our intention.
Speaker 3: We were just trying to it's the young Arsenals.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, the younger Olsen Wells.
Speaker 3: You know a remote farm. Oh, let me tell you something. That was what we did. You know, this is a younger Orson Wells and stuff like that. At some point he bring the mask falls, he gets fed up.
Speaker 9: So sorry, I'm so very very apologetic, and they're like, well, aren't you worried, mister Wells, that that when you performed that, that it could be mistaken for real life? Are you worried that I could be mistaken for real life? And he's like, well, I should hope not. He's just got angry. I should hope not. I should hope that nothing that I do could ever be mistaken for real life, because people live real lives. They have a you know, they go to their jobs, they.
Speaker 3: Have the same thing, and this and that.
Speaker 9: What we're trying to do is something extraordinary, something that couldn't happen in real life, something that is so extraordinary that it's meant to be put in front of you. Is a dramatic work because it happened. What we're creating is something absolutely above and beyond heightened that it's worth telling a story about. So if we're I'm sorry, if we're people are mistaking us for real life, we've really failed. We've absolutely failed. He's just like, he's like.
Speaker 7: You know, but I love that point the point of view of like, no, Like, if we're telling a story, shouldn't We're not going to tell the story about a guy eating cereal and that's it.
Speaker 3: Something extraordinary has to happen in order for that.
Speaker 7: To be worth telling a story that's so true. So so that's where I come from.
Speaker 3: I often I've had directors have to, you know, maybe pull me back a little bit.
Speaker 7: You know, And and look, I really do love the very internal subtle I love that I've done that. I became good at that. But I'm I'll tell you what I'd like to do is like look at Christopher Lloyd's career. Look at what he did, you know, like back to the future, right the word is. And I've you know, we've heard interviews. I've even talked to a couple of the people that were the leads of that, and and essentially what you know, Eric Stultz was kind of is Marty mcflood right, and what was he well, he was playing it very serious, very real, like oh my god, what I'm trapped out of time? And then he surrounded my performances like, oh hey, Biffa, guys, christ why do you keep following me around?
Speaker 3: And you know, a butt head?
Speaker 7: And you know, you know, yeah, it's like if that's the world you're living, Yes you can be the every man.
Speaker 3: Yes you can be kind of smaller, but you'd.
Speaker 7: Better you better keep the laughs going, you better keep the interest in the spark.
Speaker 2: Of this, the neutral in the middle of a scene.
Speaker 3: You don't want to be a hole of energy, you know.
Speaker 7: And I suspect, not that I was there, but I suspect that that was the difference in style that caused them to go, we got to get so I miss that type of thing, and we get that. One of the things I like about voiceover is we get that in voiceover. You know when we when we did Darth Maul for the solo show, I remember Ron Howard and you know rightly. So he said, okay, so your you know the voice for moll it's a little out there.
Speaker 3: It's a little out there, and.
Speaker 7: I'm like, it is, but I think that it's that it's also Star Wars and he goes interesting, He's like, so do you think we do it any different for this movie.
Speaker 3: I'm like, look, look, I don't think so.
Speaker 7: I think we do it the same way now now mind you, And I said, this is what I'll grant you because what we had me record the voice. Then then Ray Park went and he shot lip syncing me, and then we recorded the voice again over that, and and when we recorded the voice it all felt right and I was expressive and stuff like that. Then when we shot with Ray, He's like, I feel like it's a little too much. I'm like, I'll tell you why it's too much, if you don't mind, Ron, it's because Ray is really he.
Speaker 3: Was like putting in all this physical stuff. That was great, by the way, it was really good. If he's going to go that far and move and this that and do, then I am a man.
Speaker 7: I got to match the juice. But I have to anchor it. Yeah, you know, it's like Patrick Stewart right sitting there talking like this. Patrick stood, you know that the first beauty if any staff leet all of a sudden is to the truth. That works better if he's still and the voice does the work right. But if he's going the first dirty if any stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah too much. Yeah, it's do smoo Joe for sure.
Speaker 7: However, there are also other actors in opposite they're just like kind of talking like this, and they're just fucking I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that you do because their voice is now anchoring it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Patrick Stewart, he's completely still on his tests. I will tell you exactly what we're doing, make it so, you know.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 7: So with with with the Ray Park thing, the only thing I did different was I'm like, no, if Ray is the more physical Ray is being, I will anchor it by keeping the voice steady if he holds. But I'm like, but originally there was another they reshot it there was originally Ray was perfectly still.
Speaker 3: Oh so when he was perfectly still, I took my voice. You were the directions, and I did this to keep it buoyant. Then when he was less still, I kept it here. You know.
Speaker 5: So that's incredible. I'm curious as an actor myself, how much like script analysis do you do to get to these points.
Speaker 7: I'm a little bit of a nerd for this stuff, you know. It's it's yeah, there's and I'm the first guy, like on Shadow Lord, when we're watching a cut, I am the first guy to go, I played this whole thing wrong.
Speaker 3: Let me eighty or it not the whole thing wrong, you know, like it should be now that we're seeing it.
Speaker 7: It should be this. Yeah, I'm the first guy to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well you're not alone with that one. Yeah. Yeah. You think, oh god, oh jeez.
Speaker 2: You know you think and then you're guilty.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think about it, I mean, there's three or four ways that any given line, any given scene can go and still work.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just that and I've I've over the years, I've discovered that I it's not that I could have done it differently and it would have been better. It's just that you could have done it differently and just as good, maybe a little better. But hindsight is twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, so in my case, I feel like I've saved the show from some bad performances.
Speaker 3: I mean legitimately where I'm like.
Speaker 7: I don't think that works. I don't think that works. Yeah, he's a tough character to nail, especially when he's kind of like the central force.
Speaker 3: Of the show.
Speaker 7: But you're right, No, you're right, And most of the time you're like, no, it's it's good.
Speaker 3: It's works. We're not able to ask, but I guess, I guess.
Speaker 1: And if everybody else is okay, the directors okay, the writer's okay, the audience is okay, you know what, Okay, let it go. Yeah, yeah, exactly, I guess that's all I needed anyway.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's what you were looking for.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, but I wanted you to love it for this reason. Wow.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, for me, it's it's it's never about like, oh I wanted a certain thing. It's it's more like, Okay, I'll give you an example. In Shadow Lord, I'm gonna call myself out here. There's this whole thing in episode two where he's talking to this character named Devon. Devon is a young Jedi padawan. He's been living a very hard life and Maul comes in, going, I see that you're struggling, and I offer to train you, I offer to help you. And he has these wonderful lines like, you're operating under the premise that I'm somehow the villain here, but it's not as simple as good and evil?
Speaker 3: How can I prove to you that we're on the same side?
Speaker 7: And that's a hell of a line, it is, And the way that we did it the first time, this is absolutely wrong, absolutely wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll do it for you. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Okay, get ready for the wrong.
Speaker 4: You're operating under the premise that I'm somehow the villain here, but it is not as simple as good and evil? How can I prove to you the bell I'm the safe side?
Speaker 3: And I was like, how did I ever think that works? Because Al he's saying he's not the villain, he sure sounds like the villain to me. Yeah, that's what I was.
Speaker 7: I was like, what am I doing? I I went to Brad. I'm like Brad Brad, Brad, Brad, what have I done?
Speaker 3: And so we did it again. We did because we weren't dude.
Speaker 7: We were trying to figure out Yeah, we were trying to figure out who who this character was specifically for this show.
Speaker 3: So we were bracketing a target, doing kinds of stuff.
Speaker 4: And where we ended up with was, you're operating under the premise that I'm somehow the villain here, but it's not as good as it's not as simple as good an evil. How can I prove to you that we are on the same side, you know, And.
Speaker 7: I'm like, no, I buy him now, I buy him that he's trying to communicate with this person the other one.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what is he doing? He was hiding something, right, like oh mus twisted. Yeah, he's going to say cartoon.
Speaker 7: So yeah, there there are legitimately things that I have caught on in my own performance that I'm like, we are. I had steered us toward oblivion, and I must now ask us to do it again.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, well, you don't be too hard on yourself. It seems to be working out. You know, it can always not work out. It can always you can always mess it up.
Speaker 1: I think if you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast.
Speaker 2: Do it now?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 5: Well, I think we're to the point of the Oh yes, Oh sorry, I didn't mean so.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 5: I think we're at the point of the show where we do a little game. I don't know if you know this game or not. It's a little voice swap that game that we do. If you're up for it, sure, I'll explain how it works. So Jim will start off doing a voice line of one of his characters, let's say, like dark Wing Duck you know, I'm the tear of their flaps in the night, and then you will repeat that line but in one of your character voices, so like Mall or Palpatine or whoever, and then we'll switch back and forth a couple of times. If that sounds good to you, yeah's sound good?
Speaker 3: Okay? All right, let's think of a good one here.
Speaker 5: Well, why don't we do a Star Wars crossover with Hondo right right off the back?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, all right, all right, all right, here's here's a Hondo for you. I made not to be as young as I once was, but I'm older.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 10: I may not be as young as I once swap, but I'm old.
Speaker 2: Wow. That was some good cackle work.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You've cackled before.
Speaker 3: I grew up on Transformers, man, Frank Welker.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: That's told. Is Palpatine? Palpatine's up there? Yeah he is hundreds, right, he's fifty three.
Speaker 7: No, he's God, you know Palpatine. That's a good question. Is he has he used.
Speaker 10: The power of the false who bring his life unnatural length?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I always you know Palpatine. That's there's a what is it palpitating? You know, I've often thought that George Lucas names his characters after maladies. Oh sure, you know Han Solo or you know, Flying all by himself. Yeah, mal he's got mall built right into it. And Darth Vader sounds I mean the first time I heard it, I'm a dark vad, dark invader. What's a nafe dark? And I mean, you know, subconsciously, I think we get those.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: He never said this, but I've always thought that the Sith names were mockeries of who they once were. For example, Count Dooku, you know, he's.
Speaker 3: This, he's this refined man.
Speaker 7: Yes, uh, and he's he's a political leader and and he says that he wants everything to work out for his people and all this.
Speaker 3: Stuff, and and and Palpatin goes.
Speaker 4: No, you're death Tyrannis.
Speaker 3: You know, death Tyrannics, You're you're at Tirrant. Actually, screw you. You know.
Speaker 7: Darth Maul wishes to be this sophisticated like, no, I'm well read, I'm I'm very smart.
Speaker 3: I'm educated.
Speaker 7: And he's like, no, you're a you're a mall, You're a weapon, go and go and be a weapon. You're a sledge. Yeah, I don't need you to be all of that, you know, And he does, but he's like, yeah, but screw you.
Speaker 3: Also there's uh, Darth Vader is the saddest one. He goes, you are.
Speaker 7: You are the dark Father, and you have no children because your wife died.
Speaker 3: That's what he's doing.
Speaker 7: Never forget you're the father, you're the childless father, and live with that. That's the the you know, that's going to give you the the sadness, the anger that you need to do my bidding.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I always felt like Palpatine named his apprentices, or even hell, it even happened to Palpatine that he's.
Speaker 10: He's very refined, and he does all of these things, and he takes care of these people, and he's a wonderful publicis as a chancellor of the Grand Public.
Speaker 7: But his master is like, no, you sneaky, you'r darth citious, you sneak ye?
Speaker 2: Yeah, insidious written right into it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh. And then of course his master who used the Midichlorians to safe.
Speaker 7: You know, he could keep people alive that he cared about, and he was you know, it was all about life and keeping the people he cared about alive.
Speaker 3: But his name is Plaguis, which is quite the opposite.
Speaker 7: So you're like, so I think that they had a way of sticking it to their apprentices when they named them.
Speaker 3: I think it's that, you know, can we do another voice swap here? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me one of your characters one of your lines, and one of.
Speaker 3: My characters one of my lines. Okay, all right, all right, all right.
Speaker 4: I was robbed of my destiny by the Jedi by Ubi Wan Canooby.
Speaker 2: I was robbed of my destiny by the Jedi by Obi one Kanoby.
Speaker 3: That was. That's terrific. That's terrific, because don't bother. Okay, that really works. I think you have the job man.
Speaker 2: You want to Yeah, like please Winnie.
Speaker 3: The Pooh and the Anti Pool. Oh my god, that would be prollyd there you go. Well, do we have another one? I don't know. Should we do one more?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's do one more. Who's like a who's like a mumbling character of yours? Because I'm gonna ask you to do Deacon Saint John and I feel like a very a very something that characterizes him a lot in the Yeah, talking to himself and mumbling.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, who would you think.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I had any true mumblers. I mean ed, all he did was laugh. Yeah, that's not that's well.
Speaker 5: What about trouble that he fumbles?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I can't see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's a hard quote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't he doesn't.
Speaker 3: He's not really quotable, you know, he's like, that's tas like water.
Speaker 5: What about like what about bonkers? Like when he gets caught up in like a frenzy kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, that's true.
Speaker 1: Uh oh gosh, it doesn't really have it.
Speaker 3: He didn't have a good catchphrase.
Speaker 2: It's always good to have a good catchphrase.
Speaker 3: Bonker's de bocat original tune detective. Isn't there one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Here we go.
Speaker 1: I am Bunkers D Bombcat, the first and only official tune detective. I started the turn Division of Hollywood PD in Tonetown. Now you'll never be able to remember that, and I won't either, But I am Bunker's d Bobcat, the first toon detective in Tunetown.
Speaker 3: D Bobka bonkers d.
Speaker 2: It stands for.
Speaker 3: The you want to miss Deacon.
Speaker 7: I'm bonkers, I'm bonkers the Bobcat, the first tone detective in Tonetown.
Speaker 3: Is that? Yeah? That's kind of john.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite things about this podcast and watching people due not only their voices but impressions, is always just the physical transformation of getting into a voice, Like how you shifted in everything.
Speaker 3: It's just, you know, it's always so cool to see with the peakap stuff.
Speaker 7: You know, So you're standing there looking like a complete bozo. Yes, And I remember the director he said to me. He's like, he said, don't stand like that, like why you look really goofy. And I'm like, look, and I pointed at the screen and the screen had all his gear and the biker he's a biker, and he's like, oh, you actually don't look a.
Speaker 3: Look like a tool at all. That looks really good on Michael things.
Speaker 7: I'm just going to try to not be self conscious while I'm dressed like a you know, it's shifted in a spandex suit trying to be a biker. But you know, like because you could, you know, you could practice the swagger in the move while looking at the screen.
Speaker 3: But yes, for.
Speaker 5: Anybody who doesn't know they're showing your render to you on a screen showing a rough version in the stage yet Yeah.
Speaker 3: And John Garvin, John Garvin.
Speaker 7: Was hilarious on that because he was he'd give the kind of direction like, Okay, why did you do it like that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Perfect? But he was, but he meant he made sincere. He meant it. I'm like, oh well, and he's like, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Explain you weren't being chastised.
Speaker 3: Explain it to me. Yeah, And then we would talk.
Speaker 7: He's like, Okay, interesting, I think I needed to do it like that, but bring a little bit of that into that and do it like that on this line.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh, so we had a really successful working relationship on that, and that's great.
Speaker 2: That really matters, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, so great. That guy was great.
Speaker 7: And at first though he would he would when I was trying to find Deacon's voice, he was like, I sort of did him like this, and he's like, what's what the John Wayne thing? He's like, get rid of it. He's like, I don't know, figure something else out. So I actually started just kind of copying him because he's from Oregon. It was supposed to take place in Oregon, so I sort of I sort of took my voice and and kind of copied his dialogue, his hard ours and his you know anyway Oregon.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know they had an accent up there.
Speaker 1: I just thought they were cold, gorgeous out there. Yeah, that's true, that's true. Oh man, very cool man.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you so much for being here. Really appreciate it. It's really fun, really fun.
Speaker 3: Can you let people know where to where to follow you? What? Yeah? Uh? S what we're one on Instagram? Uh? Number one? Or oh any just one number one? Okay? S what we're one Instagram? And uh? And I think Sam, would we're on Twitter? Something like that.
Speaker 1: You're not a fan of yourself, you don't clock it? Okay, yeah, yeah understood. I don't like that guy, Yeah understood. Yeah what am I doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah? And of course go watch mall shadow Lord out now the whole season's out of the whole season z. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wow, that's exciting stuff. Anything coming up that we can look forward to.
Speaker 3: What do we learn about me? No? No, I mean I actually actually there are there are some things, but who knows, who knows how they go?
Speaker 7: And you know, a friend of mine, you guys is like, unless you're eating off the craft service table, you don't know.
Speaker 3: If you have a job, yea, even even then, even then.
Speaker 5: That's right, even then they might just cut your part. Yeah I've felt that before.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, well, thank you so much, thank.
Speaker 5: You, thanks for having me man, really appreciate it absolutely. Sam witward, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you and thank thank you guys all out there for watching. Really appreciate you guys as well. I mean I say this every episode, but this podcast really couldn't happen without you guys. If you you know, like I said at the beginning, if you guys want to come and check out the podcast live. We're doing a partnership with Fan Expo this year. We have about I think we have five shows left. Hold on, I'm going to pull it up really quick, just to reiterate where we're going to be. Yes, Yes, the next live podcast that we're doing will be in Chicago Fan Expo Chicago August fourteenth to the sixteenth, followed by Toronto August twenty seventh to the thirtieth, Dallas September eleventh to thirteenth, and San Francisco November twenty seventh to the twenty ninth. And they're still adding dates. I know Anaheim is up in the air for a couple of weeks from now, and we have some good guests coming on as well. Yes, got a lot of good episodes coming out for you guys. I believe Chicago Fan Expo. I don't want to jinx it. But there's a good chance that we'll be interviewing mister T in Chicago live, so that will be pretty cool. Don't make us pity you, and be sure. YouTube's a weird website. It's literally possible to be watching this video right now. If you're not subscribed, it could never be recommended to you ever. Again, it's bizarre, So if you don't want that to happen, be sure to like and subscribe. It helps us, it helps you find more content like this, and you like it so much. Good news. We're on Patreon as well. Tuned in with Jim Cummings. On Patreon, you can find bonus episodes. Why do I sound weird? Well, you can find bonus episodes that are not aired anywhere else. You get extended interviews, a whole bunch of good stuffs, contest, good boys, all that good stuff. So be sure to check us out there. And with all that said and done, once again, I am producer Chris the Legend himself, mister Jim Cummings, Thank you, sir, and thank you again so much, Sam Whitworth for being here. Thanks love, We will see you in the next one.
Speaker 3: Didja boom? Thank you gentlemen, Thank you.
Speaker 2: This was great, great great.
Speaker 1: Our podcast has partnered with the largest comic con in North America, fan Expo, the Juggernaut. We're touring all over North America live, so get your tickets and come be a part of the live audience. It'll be fun. Go to fanexpohq dot com for the tickets. We'll see you in a city near you or a little bit away, but you can drive. Thanks for tuning in to tuned In with Jim Cummings