Speaker 1: This seven twenty nine on a Wednesday, and a happy one to you. It's time we could talk to Donovan Andeil Americans for Prosperities donov An Aneil, Welcome back, Donovan. It's always a pleasure speaking with you on the fifty five Case Morning Show.
Speaker 2: Brian.
Speaker 1: Always good to start my morning with you. Let's talk veto overrides. They didn't override all of the ones related to property taxes, but we did get something accomplished the other day. I know AFP was behind the effort to restore those provisions in the budget that allowed for a small measure a potential property tax relief. Got to qualify all of it because it wasn't going to immediately result in our property taxes drafting, but it would have provided some measure of flexibility going in that direction. For whatever reason, Governor de Wines struck those provisions from the tax bill, claiming that they needed to be looked into more, which is crazy considering our elected officials have been looking at this for a solid year and that's how they came up with a list of potential property tax relief provisions, some of which were ultimately incorporated into the incorporated into the budget. So where are we on this right now, Donovan and Neil?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I think folks are a little deflated after that result. But you know, the reality is we we've over in one of those four provisions, and it's an important one. It's the Truth and Taxation provisions. And so what that's what that'll do when that goes into effect after the Senate passes it, the senateslots to vote on it, it'll allow it'll remove some of these inflamed language like emergency levees, and it'll remove some of the confusing language like replacement levees.
Speaker 2: And so it's an.
Speaker 3: Important piece in the transparency side of the equation. But on the relief side of the equation, we still need things to get done. Their studies have been completed, the testimonies all filed and delivered, but the governor, as you pointed out, had vetoed some of the other provisions that would resolve this. And now I think we're sort of in a bit of a limbo over the next few weeks till we.
Speaker 2: Come back in the the fall.
Speaker 1: Have you seen any further statement from Governor de Wyne's office about his reasons for getting rid of the all three of those property tax proposals again because they had been what I understand is thoroughly discussed and thoroughly studied in advance, and out he comes striking those provisions and saying, when you to look at him further, it just doesn't seem to make sense or add up. Donovan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I mean the you know, the committee, the select working group of eleven members has been named. They're going to meet for the first time tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock, and they've got a charge to come up with a list of working solutions, workable solutions by September thirtieth, you know. But the thing is, I think what it ultimately is is because this working group has made up of these folks, the thirty nine hundred political subdivisions across the.
Speaker 2: State of Ohio.
Speaker 3: The schools, the libraries, the cities, the townships, the villages, the counties don't want to have to make tough decisions with their funding, with their spending. They don't want to have to go back to the voters when they need money and make the case for why they need money and how they're spending it. And so they ask the governor to veto these things, he vetoed them on their behalf, and now they have an opportunity, you know, to kill more time without any relief insight for homeowners.
Speaker 1: And so they didn't want to do their own damn job, A miss I think so.
Speaker 3: I honestly, looking back at testimony, looking at comments that they've made, and the composition of this work of this governor's working group, I think they just don't want to have to actually do their job. They're afraid they have to go back to the voters. They are sitting on large cash balances because they keep taking money from the taxpayer without providing any relief or having any mechanism of accountability. And their solution, their solution is to shift that tax burden.
Speaker 2: By expanding the homestead exemption.
Speaker 3: Is the solution that the Democrats and many of the local government officials have put forward. We're just we want to take it out of the state General Revenue Fund and we want to use that to provide relief. It's masking the problem, it's not solving the spikes that occur, and it's squeezing the middle class working families here in the state of Ohio when we could actually deliver some real solutions that smooth the problem out, begin to address the issue in the long run, and give people some immediate relief.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose what of this working group that Governor de Wint's putting together. I mean, isn't it certainly plausible that they come up with the same answers and same suggestions as the working group that led to these three provisions being in the budget in the first place. In other words, the securitest route to back to where we were before.
Speaker 3: Given So if I laughed, because that's what I actually pointed that out to a reporter I was speaking with yesterday on this issue. I said, look, you know, this is an issue that has been discussed and debated and evaluated for the last two and hos half years. Right, we have to select working group of legislators folks who can actually do something on it. Right, compared to this working grip that can just issue recommendations. They identified twenty one recommendations, an eight hundred page report, hundreds of hours of public testimony from everybody around the state who has an opinion on it. We've shown a light like every corner of this issue has been identified, every possible solution I think has really been vetted and identified. Now, maybe these folks have something that hasn't been brought to the table. But many of these folks, Brian, have been in the ways and means committee rooms testifying or providing opinions on this, and most of their opinions, Brian, have been they don't like the ideas that the legislature is saying they need to do that would actually solve the.
Speaker 1: Problem, well, not liking them, and coming up with an alternative that accomplishes what we are looking for, which is some sort of property tax relief. I mean, I mean, it's one thing to say I reject that because here's the reasons why that won't work out. But here's a better idea. We're missing that sort of ladder component in this discussion.
Speaker 3: Well they have there. So their better idea is the state should pay for this the state. We should shift the money that the state collects and income and sales tax and gross receipts tax, and the state should cover that for the school districts who keep raising their taxes.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: That the devil on that one is in the details. When the money goes out of Columbus out into the world, though, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is, well, and again, it's just shifting that burden. Right, We're not actually addressing the spending problem. We're not actually addressing the unvoted tax increased problem that these local governments are able to impose upon their citizens without a vote of the people. We're just saying, hey, we're going to actually take Columbus's money and we're gonna we're gonna redistribute it out to inefficient governments around the state of Ohio.
Speaker 2: That's lunoicrous.
Speaker 3: We you know, I shouldn't be paying for poor decision making in Cincinnati, right, I agree. If the Democrats and the Blues of Cincinnati and Hamilton County aren't able to get it done, why should me here in Richland.
Speaker 2: County have to pay for that? Oh?
Speaker 3: That's and that's what this That's what their proposal essentially is is we're gonna shift that burden. We're gonna have the state carryer water, and we'll just keep going along until the next crisis.
Speaker 2: Pops.
Speaker 3: Should solve the crisis now and solve it for the next fifty to one hundred years.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I know America's prosperity always has action plans, and plans. I'm moving forward, so the couple of provisions are remaining. Excuse me, remain vetoed and bring it back and we'll walk through the next step of the analysis, which is, I know there's that revoke property taxes in the state of Aha proposed legislation that's floating around out there. We get an update on maybe where that is. But it seems to me as we pause for a moment and bring it back, that this is only going to exacerbate the christ to just eliminate property tax, which I think takes us to probably a more complicated reality. But pause will bring Donovan back at seven thirty seven. Right now, fifty five Kosity Talks station, I'm recommend to get her to odor eggsit dot com, od oxit dot com doing a special right now. It's I mean, there's a great product, one hundred percent satisfaction guarantee to get rid of the smells that you're dealing with, pet oders, human odors, food odors, mold, mildew it eradicates them all. Fifteen percent off all older exit products until August fourth, free shipping on orders over twenty five dollars, and if you order more than thirty five dollars worth of Odor Exit products. They're going to give you a free six ounce bottle of the older Exit Magic. That's the one I keep my glovebox because I don't like the smell of food fast food like Indian food or tie food or whatever I'm getting. I don't want that in my car. So a little Odor Exit Magic to the to the odors in the car and it eliminates them immediately. So you get a free bottle of ad with orders over thirty five bucks, Odor Exit delivered to your front door almost immediately. They try to get it to you within the next day, maybe two days, but it's fast delivery. Or find a store on the website that carries over Exit products and they are all over town. Od O r XIT no e Odor Exit dot Com fifty five car the talk station.
Speaker 2: We all remember that one Teacho.
Speaker 1: Jenna and I first one of we forecass air quality and effect all day for the dry state Heat Advisor kicks in at eleven last till eight pm tomorrow evening sunny Today hu mid Anahei have ninety clear and seventy one overnight sunny tomorrow again humid ninety two, seventy two overnight with clear skies and another humid day once on Friday, mostly sunny skies, maybe a storm popping in there. Ninety three degrees for the high at sixty seven. Right now, it's time for traffic.
Speaker 4: From the UCL Traffic Center. You see healthy, You'll find comprehensive care.
Speaker 2: That's so personal.
Speaker 4: I'd make sure best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at u sehealth dot com. North found seventy five an extra ten out of Merlbinger into downtown than an extra forty from seventy four to an accident at Town Street where the left lane remains blocked. Seth found seventy five heavy through Wachman. There's a wreck outside a Goshen car on its top. On twenty eight at Smith Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: If you have KCD talk station right, Thomas was don on and of for Americans were prosperity talking about the veto override singular two of them did not get over ridden related to the property taxes and the budget bill. Were the votes even close on the two that didn't get over ridden? Donovan, Well, so it's a bit of a procedural thing. They didn't even bring those two of vote.
Speaker 3: They tabled them because if they had brought them for a vote and they failed, they would not be able to go at it again. So you only kind of get one bite out of veto override Apple. So there's they're working still to come back. They'll be They always come back for session days in September October, I think that's when they planned to bring those up and address them. There you had members who were out of town, members who chose not to come back into town, and I think just still some more discussion with members about what we're trying to do here in the state of Ohio to resolve this property tax crisis.
Speaker 1: All right now, as for this working group that Dwine's putting together, that presumably will result in some legislative changes, I mean, this was all in the budget bills they had to pass that like any legislation. So if they come up with some different proposals or even the same ones, that's going to have to be incorporated into legislation that'll have to be voted on in the normal process right well, And.
Speaker 3: Unlike the General Assembly, they don't they don't have the ability so this working group can can make recommendations till they're blue in the face. Ultimately, it takes the legislature introducing that as legislation. So you're right, it would have to go through that whole process, multiple hearings, which is fine, you can move those things along fairly fast. But the reality is that working group won't have you know, isn't charged to bring recommendations back until September thirtieth.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're not done with veto override votes that you've established. We know that they can come back, and they just chose three property ones to go for this time, only one got voted on five. Doesn't this present a problem if there's a movement out there to have what a constitutional amendment here in the state of Ohio circulating petitions to get this on the ballot that will let us vote whether to eradicate them across the board, this might fuel that effort. This delay and this working group and this idea of going through the legislative process with whatever future fixes they come up with. I mean, that's still a woman in the background, though, isn't it thought of it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: And I mean you're talking to the guy in the organization right, that's working every day to eliminate Ohio's income tax.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you'll find you don't going to find me defending keeping.
Speaker 3: Taxes on the books, especially taxes that can kick people out of their homes if they're failed to be if they fail to pay them, right, which is what happens if you fail to pay your property taxes even after paying off your mortgage. And their ballot initiative is there. It's a very it's very simple language. It's not like what was that one from last year that was all the last couple of years that's been all convoluted. It's four lines, Brian, It's four lines that says in a constitution property tax essentially you can't put a property tax on any homeowner property owner in the.
Speaker 2: State of Ohio.
Speaker 3: And so it's not a complicated ballot initiative. It's a very simple message. And those folks are doing great work.
Speaker 2: They're chugging along, they're getting signatures.
Speaker 3: We've you know, we we've seen many of them at the events that will do and I think you know, if you're a local, if you're a political subdivision, right, who's trying to wait up the clock and just slow walk a process.
Speaker 2: Or reform that is long overdue.
Speaker 3: This is the sort of damocles hanging over the head, and it's the nuclear option that I think a lot of citizens here in the state of Ohio are eager to push the red button on.
Speaker 1: If you will well, and I mean, I guess one's left with the perplexing question, the complex question of what reaction will there be if that actually passes. I mean, they're going to have a huge load of work on their plates and Columbus trying to figure out how they're going to cover the missing now missing property taxes since so much of how you know, various entities are funded are predicated on property taxes, and these levies, I mean, you're going have to start from scratch with the taxation system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because you know most I think, what is it, twenty eight billion dollars.
Speaker 3: I believe I might be off a little bit there, but is what is collected I believe in property taxes across the state of Ohio. Between income and sales tax here in the state of Ohio, I think that that number comes in at about twenty three twenty four billion and some change and so, and these property taxes don't ever go through Columbus.
Speaker 2: Right, That's something important here. None of this money is actually managed by Columbus.
Speaker 3: It is all levied and authorized by the local political subdivisions across the state of Ohio. And so when you end that, you're ending I mean fifty to at least fifty or more percent of.
Speaker 2: Funding to local public schools.
Speaker 3: You're ending significant amount of money that go to your townships where most ohiglands live, to pay for police and fire services. Our roads will be fine because Governor Dwinjai up our gas taxes in his first tournament office.
Speaker 2: But you know the other kinds.
Speaker 3: Of services that you that most people have come to expect and depend on, those are in jeopardy. And I think this game of chicken that's being played by political subdivisions, where we could provide people with some relief is ultimately could result in just an outright elimination of it. And what we do, because again, we won't just stop having police and fire in schools, right, Brian, because those are things most people to civilized society count on. We're just going to put that burden on somebody else. That tax shifts somewhere else. I think the real solution is Sorry. The real solution I think here is we have too gang much government here in the state of Ohio. We really needed to start to contract, consolidate, and that would begin, I think, to solve many, many, many of the problems, not just on the property tax issue, but the problems that put our state in the bottom half of the rankings across the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just them to think the confounding mess that would have to come about as after the elimination of party tacks, because your local political subdivision is the one that lives at the local schools and parks and everybody are then going to have to go to Columbus and lobby the elected officials there for their slice of whatever allocation is coming out of Columbus under whatever formula they come up with, maybe the raise sales tax to cover the missing twenty eight billion dollars we're talking about. I don't know, but they're gonna have to justify themselves to people in Columbus, as opposed to justifying themselves the local community members in the form of lobbying for or against a levee. You think local control would better manage the finances and people in the community would say no, no, no, you've got too much money school district. We're not going to renew your levee or or you know, vote for this emergency levee or whatever. But I just I just can't imagine how complicated it would be if the money just resides in Columbus then has to be doled out.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the ironic thing here, rights those and you think the folks in Columbus, the legislators in Columbus, are going to want to do any favors for the very people who been lobbying against the dozens of solutions they've.
Speaker 2: Been putting forward.
Speaker 3: This is the thing, right, this is this is where being you know, looking at this every day, both working when in the grassroots or at events around the state with our team at AFP, and being at the State House and seeing the lobbyists and legislators engaging on this issue. The solutions here, the solutions have been presented. The legislatures put forward some very common sense ones that both provide immediate relief and resolve the spikes and triggers that cause crises like we've been experiencing for the last few years. The problem is the local government lobbyists and it's this township trustees, the school board officials, the superintendents, the teachers' unions and the rest of them have been lobbying against any common sense solution for the last two and a half years.
Speaker 2: And maybe they're going to get every.
Speaker 3: Little bit they deserve if the property taxes elimined out right in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 1: Certainly is possible. Donovan and Neil, Americans for prosperity. Any call to action for my listeners you typically do, I mean maybe that one small step kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I always go to Buckeye Blueprint dot com. Buckeye blueprint dot com. You see and get plugged in, check out all. We don't just work on this issue. We work on a lot of different issues. Learn our message, learn our mission, and if you want to get involved in it, sign up and we'll reach out and bring into the fold.
Speaker 1: I can't encourage my listeners enough to do just that. Donald van Neil, thanks for all the work that you and AFP do throughout the week and the year, and I'll look forward to another discussion with.
Speaker 2: You next week.
Speaker 1: Always appreciate you sharing your megaphone. Take care of my brother. It's seven to fifty right now if you have care seeing detalk station after the top of the hour news ort to hear from Michael Sturbiche or Marcel Sturbage running for a House Secretary of State.
Speaker 2: Be in studio.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for that. I hope you can stick around in the meantime, I strong encouragement recommendation for you to do something that won't obligate you to do anything, will not cost you a dollar, but could put yourself in a much better place in terms of your medical coverage. It's always a good time to call Cover Sincy. John Rowman and the team there will take great care of you. They'll analyze where you are in your life, who you have to ensuremedically, what your current plan is, if you even have one, and they'll find you a better way. They work with hundreds of insurance companies. They have access to thousands of different policies, but because they're sitting on the same table as you, they're working with you, not them, picking the best possible coverage for you, and you can save heap loads of money. They typically saving couples under sixty five, five hundred to one thousand dollars a month and better coverage. Think about having dollar one coverage and I have to shell out ten thousand plus dollars under that Obamacare plan that you have to cover before the insurance even kicks in. They're doing it every day, and if you're fast approaching Medicare, you really need to get in touch with John and the team. Great advice, great information, no charge to you. They're working for you. It's five one three eight hundred call five one three eight hundred two two five five Online. There's a form on the website you can fill out to get the process started. They'll get right back with you. Cover sinsy with Y or I coversinsi dot com.
Speaker 2: At k r C dot com.
Speaker 1: Did you know even this