Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Ina. It is Kentucky INA's morning news here on news Radio eight forty whas Coffee in company with you. I'm Nick Coffee, the company manage on on alongside today. And the big story, in fact, the two biggest stories, at least from my perspective right now as we are up and running here on a Tuesday, is two mass shootings that took place yesterday here in America, which unfortunately is no longer really much of a surprise because it happens way more than it ever should, because it should never happened, but it happens fairly often.
Speaker 2: Dare I say?
Speaker 1: And this one, of course, Midtown Manhattan. It was about six thirty pm. It sounds like there's a forty four story office tower that has a lot of different businesses, including the NFL and Blackstone. And we now know that the suspect here, who eventually killed himself is somebody that suffers from CTE. So he claims certainly that is going to be something that they they look into, and who knows, maybe.
Speaker 2: He's already being diagnosed with it.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure, but just an awful situation. This guy showed up yesterday after driving I'm sorry. I showed up over the weekend after driving across the country from Vegas. It's a twenty seven year old Shane Tamura, who was a high school football player and again had been living in Vegas for quite some time, and showed up and started spraying bullets. According to the NMPD commissioner, And here's a little bit of what she had to say yesterday after this tragic situation.
Speaker 3: The building security camera footage shows the shooter enter the lobby, turn right and immediately opened fire on an NYPD officer. He then shoots a woman who took cover behind a pillar and proceeds through the lobby, spraying it with gunfire. He makes his way to the elevator bank, where he shoots a security guard who was taking cover behind the security desk.
Speaker 1: So one officer who was off duty but working private secure curity was killed, and then also a Blackstone executive was shot and killed in the lobby and an NFL employee was critically injured. And at least four people dead in total, with one critically wounded. And what we know about a motive is that he had a note in his pocket referencing that he had CT and blaming the NFL, so not a coincidence that he ended up at this building where the NFL has some of their corporate offices. But the note cited Terry Long, a former Steeler who died by suicide after suffering from ct and it expressed outrage towards the league. Quote football gave me CTE. You can't go against the NFL. They'll squash you. That was in the note, as well as a request for his brain to be studied, an apology to someone by the name of Rick. We usually end up finding out more about these individuals not long after these things happened. So look, there may be more information about this person that I'm just unaware of as of right now. In fact, I'm sure there is. But yeah, that's what we know, at least what I know right now. And just it's a tragic situation all the way around, and it certainly is going to get CTE to be back in the conversations about football, at least for the time being. Now, maybe this guy is a lunatic and never had it and he's just off his rocker.
Speaker 2: Who knows, But we'll find out.
Speaker 1: We will find out, all right, I'm gonna find out when I asked this question, John, are you a roller coaster guy?
Speaker 4: I used to really be into roller coasters. I've been to Cedar Point a couple of different times. It's been a while since I've been on a roller coaster, but I do enjoy them.
Speaker 1: Man, I can't tell you the last time I was on a roller coaster. And it's not because I'm scared, because I am, which, by the way, I am scared of roller coaster scared to death of them. But also I haven't been to like a theme park in a long long time, and growing up, I was scared, and I don't really know what I was scared of. Now that I know a little more about myself and I can have some self reflection just knowing how I am, I'm not at all surprised that roller coasters were a thing that scared me. And it's not that I think I'm gonna get hurt and then I'm gonna, you know, I'm gonna there's going to be some kind of malfunction and I'm going to die. It's just the you know, the lead up to it is what would be not because if I ever ride a roller coaster, which I have wrote some my wife did a good job of really pressuring me, but also kind of like, what are you scared of?
Speaker 2: What are you worried about?
Speaker 1: It's gonna be fine, and even if you don't like it, it'll be over pretty quickly. So I ended up riding some roller coasters with her at King's Island years ago, like might have been right around after the time we got married. But I haven't been on a roller coaster in years. But I would say I'm someone that is probably more scared of them than most adults. But there is a new roller coaster at Cedar Point. Have you heard about it. I've heard about it is It's called Siren's Curse. Siren's Curse, so it is their newest roller coaster at Cedar Point, and it's the first tilt coaster in the United States, and it's making headlines but not because of the thrilling experience, but because of the nightmare experience because riders keep getting stuck mid ride, and it happened over the weekend, and there's some footage of these people having to walk down the stage and I'm not sure how high up in the air they are. But this ride, Sirens Curse, it tilts riders ninety degrees before sending them down a steep drop. So four times in the last month the ride has been stopped mid tilt, leaving passengers stranded. So the Cedar Points spokesmen compared it to a car's check engine light, calling it a safety measure, not a malfunction, and they insist that the ride is working as intended. It's just a malfunction with the with the you know, a check engine light coming on and it not working. I guess that's the comparison they're making. I actually believe them, But that would make me even more scared of because if I was if I was stuck on a coaster upside down, mid tilt, whatever, if it was thirty seconds, it would probably feel like three hours to me, and I would lose my mind. But again, I'm I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to that kind of stuff. Cedar Point seems awesome. I've never been, though.
Speaker 4: There's a ton of roller coaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah there. You like King's Island, Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 4: It's been a long time since I've been in kingsis What about Kentucky Kingdom? Same deal? Long time?
Speaker 1: Want me to tell you sort of like and i've and i've i've i've I've been on roller coasters that are a little bit more adventurous and thrilling, if you will, then this one. But growing up, I didn't go past the roller skates.
Speaker 2: Do you know who the roller skates are?
Speaker 4: Life of the ex Post Center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see him right there. It's one of the few coasters you can see right there. And yeah, that was That was as dangerous as I got when I was a kid. Whenever I started going with a season pass when I was a teenager with all my friends, we were in middle school. It's a big thing for a couple of summers when I was growing up, and I would always have to use the bathroom whenever everybody had to go ride the roller coaster. And then finally I realized, yeah, they know I'm scared, but it worked out. Yeah, now, I mean I maybe now, Like I think, if my kid wanted to ride and he was scared, my son, I would probably have the courage to do it, and I would just try my best not to let him see how scared I was.
Speaker 4: What if he called you a scaredy cat? Oh, he I'm sure he would would that, Like, help you go with him instead. Would that be enough to push you over the edge to go? I would like to believe that it would, John, But I don't know. I guess I won't know until.
Speaker 2: I get there.
Speaker 1: But he's scared. He's fearless man. He's scared of nothing. So maybe we'll be there before too long. All right, let's get to another update on traffick and weather. Also brooks Howck as he awaits sentencing. He is back in the news. We'll talk about it next right here on News Radio eight forty whas. All right, we're just a couple of minutes away from your next update on traffic and weather. And I would say one of the most talked about things throughout this summer was the trial for brooks how because he was found guilty along with a couple of co conspirators. And that was a big day here in Kentucky, certainly a big day in Bargetown. And now we await the sentencing for brooks Howck. But as he is waiting in jail, he is trying to get rid of.
Speaker 2: All of his assets.
Speaker 1: So a judge is granted a temporary injunction preventing brooks Howck from selling or transferring any of his assets as her family is currently pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit. So this order was granted on the twenty fifth, that was last week as they fouled emotion citing concerns that he was trying to liquidate assets to avoid potential civil judgment. So I did not realize just how much I guess the Hawk family was worth. I mean, I knew just by following along this entire story for a decade that they had you know, that they had businesses, and they had a lot of properties. But Hawk reportally owns three companies in eighty three properties in Nelson County valued at eight point five million dollars. So the legal move here is tied to a twenty twenty three long wrongful death lawsuit that the family has filed. And I'm no lawyer, but I would say that his guilty verdict can only help them in this specific lawsuit as they tried to get some type of monetary, you know, payment from what they've gone through. And of course, now that the trial has concluded that it was at the hands of the individual brooks out. But yeah, eighty three properties and three companies and valued at roughly eight point five million dollars.
Speaker 2: I mean, did he think that.
Speaker 1: They weren't listening to his phone calls, because prosecutors say he made several jailhouse calls from the Warren County Detention Center discussing how to offload these assets.
Speaker 2: He told his.
Speaker 1: Sister Ronda, quote, They're going to take everything I've got. He also talked to his mother Rosemary and his brother Nick and was coordinating just different discussions about how they can sell some of these properties. And I guess maybe who would be interested in set properties? So yeah, the next step here is a potential civil judgment, which we shall see. It looks as if I believe in October is maybe when we'll we'll get more of an update.
Speaker 2: On this situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is going to remain in place. The injunction is until an evidentiary hearing, which is set for October the eighth. And I know I'm not the only one hoping that the Rogers family is successful in this lawsuit, given everything they've gone through. All right, let's get to a quick update on the traffic out there. Bobby Ellis will get us caught up. We'll also take a look at the forecast from a Melosovich spoiler alert, It's going to.
Speaker 2: Be very hot, so be prepared for that.
Speaker 1: Also, we'll get another update on sports, and then Roriyo and Nale of NBC News set to join us at eight thirty right here on News Radio eight forty whas all right, final segment for us here at Kentucky had this morning news coffee and company with you on News Radio eight forty whas coming up a few minutes, we'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight. Tony's with me here in studio John Shannon as well. The big story here nationally and it's it's i mean, not.
Speaker 2: As your choice of leads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two mass shootings, that's really what you pick from here, which is crazy. But the situation in New York City yesterday, this young man twenty seven years old, Shane Temura. He is a high school football player and was living in Vegas for a while. Drove across the country this past weekend to New York City apparently waiting to do what he did, which is show up to this building where the NFL had some offices, also some other businesses had offices, and what was discovered is that in his after he shot himself after killing a few other people and injuring another. There was a note in his pocket that said it cited Terry Long, who is a former Steeler who died by suicide after suffering from CTE. And in the note he also expressed rage towards the NFL. Here's a quote football gave me CTE. You can't go against the NFL. They'll squash you. And then he also in the note, requested his brain be studied and then apologized to someone named Rick. So my question, Tony, is the NFL. Clearly, I mean they're shaken up. They've got an employee that was critically injured in this situation, so I don't expect them to be out in front addressing the issue that is CTE. But this is going to have ct continue to be and it never really went away, but this will get it back in the New Cyclist as if this is ct that led to this person doing this, what do we do about it? And clearly there's no perfect solution.
Speaker 5: Well, can you get this done, the message done without shooting other people? Of course, why can't you just go to the front door of the NFL and kill yourself. That's fine if you're into that spot, But why are you taking other people with you?
Speaker 1: They may determine that he doesn't even have CT Chris never did.
Speaker 5: We don't know that. But why do you have to take other people out with you? This is crazy? Then this is yet another example of the endless conversations we have that the NFL is untouchable. Nothing touches them. A couple of years ago, when it was proven that they were judging black brains not on the level of white brains, and it was documented, I thought that would be an end of story, that this would be how many lawsuits are going to follow? What kind of thing?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 5: I mean, crickets. I couldn't believe that.
Speaker 2: I thought that would be a lead story for weeks.
Speaker 5: It was nothing.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 5: And then my own brain breaks because I'm like, how do how do smart people like doctors do something as awful as that? And then the movie comes out with Will Smith. It's what was concussion? Whatever the name of the movie was. He made the movie about the concussion and whatever. The first doctor that said, hey, this is a problem. After that, guess what, Yes, you're correct, it's called concussion. They there was a that movie affected grade school and like there was we had numbers problem. We had to combine a bunch of schools to get one team. But those numbers, guess what are all back? Everyone's playing football.
Speaker 1: Actually just saw that the other day that there was a real drop in participation with youth football and it's right back better than ever, which is certainly a good sign. And I hate saying this because there's no way to say this without people insinuating that I'm anti football and people love football so much in America, that's that's a sin to say that to a lot of people. But I just and it's a stupid hypothetical, but that's kind of what radio can be at times. If you introduced this sport for the first time ever today with these basically these dudes, they look like they're created in a laboratory, and you showed it to somebody and what it is. They wouldn't let us play. No, they wouldn't let us play. It's gladiator sport. And everyone e correct, you covered it, You covered it. I covered it.
Speaker 5: What you find out when you pull the curtain back after game two, no one on the team is healthy. No one on the team is healthy. Everybody plays hurt for the entire season. So when they're like, hey, are you healthy, it's almost a funny question, like those players almost laugh, going, yeah, yeah, I'm healthy.
Speaker 6: That's so I told my son when he started football back in his freshman year in high school. I said, the only time you will not be nicked up is the day before your first practice for two days.
Speaker 5: It's not for everybody. And if you coach those younger years what you were about to do, because you will coach coach coffee. I like the the sound of it. You'll have a whistle, you'll have the bike shorts, you know, ready to go as well. You got to make a choice. There are advisor coaches and there are regular hat coaches. Like Bob Baty at Trinity. He was the only one they had advisor. All the rest of the coaches had hat.
Speaker 2: I could see him with a lank advisor.
Speaker 1: I can't go, No, you're not advisor. Advisor reminds me. It reminds me of of Scott Saderfield.
Speaker 2: I can't do that.
Speaker 4: Trucker hat coach. Your hat backwards coach.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you might be hat backwards or trucker hat.
Speaker 2: I don't know. They on the football field. Yeah, is that a thing I.
Speaker 5: Coached on E Trinity, and I knew that these schools are a little different. John jammed his hand up and win his first football games, and uh, in the stands at those schools, they're all surgeons and doctors. So I come back off the sidelines of a timeout or whatever, and this guy is messing with John's hand. I go, hey, hey, hey, who are you. You looked at me and he goes, I'm a hand surgeon and he was looking at it and goes, he should be fine, just sit down.
Speaker 1: We didn't have many We didn't have many hand surgeons in attendance at the Bullet County Youth Football League last year.
Speaker 2: For Moose's Flag Football League.
Speaker 5: Plenty of lawyers, plenty of lawyers to sue.
Speaker 1: It's I mean, coaching at this age is like babysitting.
Speaker 2: It's so much fun.
Speaker 5: But you know, at this at that age, it's you see the last day a lot of kids play football like you'll see a hit and then kid comes off and you'll go, that was his last play.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, and that's okay. Yeah, so he's just playing flag now. But the older teams play on the other field and you can just tell there's some kids that get right back up, and others are like, they can't wait to go home and tell their parents they don't want to play anymore.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's exactly right. Don't make your kid play football.
Speaker 6: Don't do that.
Speaker 1: It's not for everybody, well said, all right, that'll do it for us. Tony and Dwei are coming your way next right here on news Radio eight forty whas