Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, hour number three, the five o'clock hour. It is now, it's not coming right up, it's it's happening as we speak. In fact, we're a little late, but better late than ever. Five oh six here on a Monday afternoon. Hopefully you had a good weekend. I know I did. The weather was phenomenal and obviously the mess that is the waterfront because of all the flooding. That was the reason why they canceled thunder over Louisville. And they made the right decision. I don't think you make that kind of decision without without you know, realizing what it is you're doing. That's what needed to happen because of the flooding we haven't had and you know, thirty years around here. But we couldn't have had a better day as far as weather on Saturday, if you know, if they were able to do the fireworks and the air show. But you know, mother Nature got in the way, didn't she. She's been real you know what I feel like around here in the last three or four months, and when we had a brutal winter and then insane rain that you just don't see very often. But all in all, a good weekend, no doubt. A lot of the local I don't know if all the local baseball leagues out there for kids started their season Saturday, but I know it was opening day at a handful of ballparks in the area, and I had dad duty, and it was it was one of those moments where I'm you know, it's not it's it's really become my entire existence, right, And if you have kids, I'm sure you know, right, life takes a big difference. Life changes drastically for you, and it'll never be the same once you become a parent. But to balance the taking my daughter to her came and Moose played at the same time. Obviously they're in different leagues, so my wife and I were going back and forth trying to you know, trying to. I got to his game, but not in time. She wouldn't able to go to Maya's game, so but hey, it's part of being a parent. Now. Good news is that her games are always on Saturdays and Mooses are actually during the week, but for opening Day they have everybody play on Saturday. Just to kind of make it a big, a big kickoff to the to the season your Mike's son still.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I was sitting here type and looking for something, but I was, I was. I was just about to interject and say I noticed something.
Speaker 2: What did you notice the beard? Stubbles gone, Oh yeah, it was gone Friday Friday.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So can I look like the washed up dad for you on a weekend?
Speaker 2: Could you? I don't have like an interesting story as to why I decided to shave it off on Friday morning, but there was a specific kicker for me that you know, put me in that direction because I was on the fence like do I really want to keep looking like I don't take care of myself and I have bad hygiene because I got this for the ride. Yeah, I know. And I think there was an intrigued to kind of see, Okay, what if you did have a beard, what would it look like? Because that was the closest I've probably ever have, I've ever had to it, and it probably is the closest I'll ever get because I just will probably now shave every few days like I have really for the entire time I've been an adult. But what sent me. I was kind of I was getting closer to realizing, Okay, this doesn't look good at all right now, and I'm not even sure if I give it another month, well I even be able to have what people would call a beard, because I just don't grow much facial hair. But my mother did not have any any hesitation to tell me that she did not like it. So I feel like.
Speaker 3: Moms always say that to their baby face children.
Speaker 2: Was the decision she I mean, she wasn't like rude or anything, but you know, she she she wasn't a big fan. So the next morning when I got up and got out of the shower where I decided to shave, and I was happy that I did so, because you know, I don't know if I look great now. I'm sure I don't, but at least I don't have like those patches is of no hair and then and also I don't have to be reminded that there's there's there's great too. You know that's not something I was thrilled to see. But yes, I did decide to shave it off, and uh, you know it was a shortly If you look like yourself again, if you were able to experience the barely their facial hair many beard, if we can call it that, then consider yourself lucky, because I don't think you'll see me with that for a long time. I'll cherish that that we had together. I appreciate the support that you had for me, though. Guess whenever I need it, maybe I could get a beard.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to start paying more attention to your face now now that I know that it can happen, and if I could push you, if I have to understand you're not comfortable with it.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was my plan, is that I wanted to just you know, grow some awful looking whatever it's called on my face, some fuzz, just to see if people noticed. And then you know, now they're going to be reminded they need to take advantage when they get a chance to see this.
Speaker 1: Mum.
Speaker 2: It's not a bad plan. And again, I always hope that people who listen to this show have some level of you know, they have a radar for sarcasm, because you know, there's a lot of it here. I hope you guys know. If not, you know, thanks for hanging out all right. If you want to join us on the show today, you can five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number, and you can give us a call at that number five O two if i've seven one seven nine zero zero, and if you want a text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five oh two four three eight ninety seventy three. I've neglected you guys today, but it's been a Monday Show's gone by insanely fast. We've talked about a lot of things and we'll continue to keep it rolling along here. And we did talk about the Masters. I won't reset that entire thing because I don't know how entertaining or interesting it was. But for me, someone last week talking about how golf is the one sport that if I really wanted to know more about it and be interested in it like I would, I would have invested some time to learn. So you know, it's people like what they like. Golf is just fine without me. I'm not anti golf. It's just never hooked me and been interesting enough for me to follow along. But with a Master's playing out yesterday and Roy McElroy looking as if he was in the driver's seat, then he had some really disastrous holes where it looked as if maybe he was gonna choke it away. In fact, he kind of did choke it away until you know, he was able to hold on long enough to get to to get to those extra rounds and get it done. But I felt I wouldn't say, like proud of myself because again, like, it's not that, but it was a highlight for me that I did find myself not turning on CBS because I had FOMO. It wasn't because like, man, well everybody else is watching this, I've got to tune in now. It wasn't because well, you know, it's gonna be something I got to talk about on the show, so I better be, you know, at least able to know what happened. I mean, it was just because I saw the initial early stages of Sunday. We were at my in lost house doing a little Easter get together, had a great get together, and they just had it on television, so I was keeping up, you know, from that aspect, and then obviously it was a tight finish and when we got back to the house, turned it on, watched it all the way through, and it was something I'm glad I watched. It was an exciting finish and you know, you can see, you know, for me because I probably tuned in longer than I ever have for golf, you know, I got to notice some things that you know, it wasn't as if I was not aware that there's a lot of drama. And you can tell, you know, the body language, the facial expression of players when things are going really well and obviously whenever things are falling apart. And that was that was that was that was probably what stood out to more than anything. It's just to visibly see Rory dealing with like, oh, is he about to do this? Is he about to choke this away? And in the end he held on and got it done, and it you know, without knowing for sure sort of what the read is on him, like is he a fan favorite? And I don't really know if he's like the most popular guy, but it did seem as if a lot of people were happy for him that he was able to hold on and get it done. Briceont to Shambeau not so much a popular guy, it seems, and he was a real competitor. He was a threat until you know, he wasn't. And then how about justin Rose, I think I saw is this the second or third time he's finished in second at the Masters?
Speaker 3: Second he finished the same thing playoff a.
Speaker 2: Player years ago. Yeah, that would be tough. That's rough because you know, you never really know how often you're even going to be in a position to potentially get a win in the final day, Right, That's tough enough, But then to get there twice and then come up short in that and in that way. I mean, again, it's better than not being a contender at all, but man to get that close and then let it slip away with stink And honestly, it sounds like Rory had some experience with that, right, And that's why I guess what made the story. You know what it was, So again I enjoyed it. Won't lie to you and act like I'm going to be tuning into all the major tournaments and following along closely. But a lot of the things that i'd heard that make golf interesting and entertaining for people that I've never really experienced, I did get a chance to experience some of that yesterday, and that was fun for me.
Speaker 3: I want to know what oddly would have brought back from me is when I'm sitting there watching it yesterday this time last year, because Louisville was preparing for the PGA Championship to come to Valhalla, right, that was like a huge thing in the city, and I remember going and being a part of it, and I don't know, I just I think that might have captivated me with my golf fandom, was actually going to a major event last year and I got to see all these guys I'm watching on TV walk by me and everyone cheer them, and like see how people actually spectate golf in a live realm, and it's it's pretty interesting, it's pretty fun to watch, and I just thought it was a whole vibe and it just made me think, Man, I bet doing that at Masters is even at Augusta, is even on a much more top flight. But I think you got to be invited to come to the Masters. It's like a lottery system.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you can't just show up.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, you can't buy ticket. Well, you get picked to buy tickets, kind of like the bananas do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the PGA Championship, I got lucky last year because the biggest story out of Louisville in the calendar year and the biggest stories surrounding that event that was here had nothing to do with the sport of golf. It was it was Scotty Schefler getting arrested, which I didn't need to know anything about golf to talk about that. And then of course, again I'm not exaggerating, that was a huge story all over the world. Like that was one of those dude, that was one of those moments, and there haven't been many of them where you can tell where we are, where we exist, we are being talked about, maybe not just the city itself as far as like the culture or the weather, but like something is such something going on in our city is a global talking point. And Scotty Scheffler getting arrested the morning of the of the PGA Championship in Valhalla, like that was one of those moments. It was kind of almost like surreal, like is this really happening? And of course it all played out to where LL ANDPD looked awful. I mean even they know that too, by the way, Like you know obviously the actions of that one. You know cop that crowd about his pants. I think he pooped his pants and just needed some idy to replace him. That's what he was upset about it. But but like you know, and then Seve Broman' is a very phenomenal attorney who was the last guy LMPD wanted to see out there representing Scheffler because he pointed out how poorly that thing was handled in every aspect. And I hated it because I do support LMPD and I know that the actions of one or two or three officers maybe don't represent everybody. But it was a bad look all the way around. But man, what a huge story that it was. The other the other stories that I can just think of, more so than anything as somebody in this position, is when Muhammad Ali died. That was I'm never experience anything like that again, because I didn't know what that was until that happened, Meaning I didn't know what it was like to to be, you know, embedded within the story. Not to say we had anything to do with it, but like we were in Louisville, we understand better than anybody what Muhammad Ali means to this city, in this community. And then you know, it's I've never found a I've never found a good way to discuss this on a plot from like radio without sounding like insensitive to death. But when someone passes away. I mean just because of how things are, You're going to find things about, Like somebody will probably be talked about among people more than they ever will in their life after they die, especially if they die as legends or they die unexpectedly. So you're going to learn more about people after they're gone because of all the conversations that take place. So with Muhammad Ali, I mean to this day, I'm sure there's a ton of stuff that we don't know that he did. That was you know, a big deal in a great way. I mean, he was such an impactful person within our planet, not just our city, state and country that you know, just just hearing everybody talk about him and seeing the send off that he had here in his own city and of course across the world people honoring him as he passed away like that was like that was something I'll never forget ever. And being able to be like on the air I was on noon to three on seven ninety at the time, I was relative early on in my time here, I believe I think that was in twenty sixteen, I think maybe seventeen, but either way, and I remember like talking about like the city and how everybody's you know, just it felt like everything stopped, and it felt like there were more eyeballs on Louisville than we've ever had. And that was just a cool experience because you know, clearly Ali was proud as hell to be from Louisville, and we were proud as hell that, you know that we get to call this place home to where he where he you know, where he grew up. And of course he's the one. There's plenty of famous people who've had such a big impact on other aspects of life that are from here, but like Alish is different.
Speaker 3: Man, Like it's it's different that interstate shut down people standing out on the parade road, the parades, it was. It was crazy. Have you ever been over to Cave Hill to see his memorials?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, it's it's really nice. And I thought it was really cool that whenever I'm not sure if they still do this or not, but they would take recruits who come and visit Louisville to his his childhood home and just kind of show like, you know, that's neat. I mean, I know at times, you know, I don't. I mean, clearly, I think it makes total sense, but I know there have been some that have said, Okay, can we do something else? Do we need to keep like, well, if we're gonna have like a special event, like, do we really have to make everything Ali inspired until the end of time, every team at u of L, if they have one or more than one event where they make it like the Ali inspired uniforms or the Ali Promotions day, Like in my opinion, you can't do that enough because I mean there's no like when it comes to Okay, who's the most known successful human that is publicly a you know, from your city and they were proud of it. You knew it, you knew where he was from. I mean he was. He'd show up to u of L games. I mean he was. He was at midfield whenever Louisville played in the Sugar Bowl or the Orange Bowl down in Miami. So like it was known he was from Louisville and proud of it, and he was a big supporter of u of L. But like you know, you go, we go top celebrity, influential person that's a part of a fan of your school. Like we're not losing to many, you know what I'm saying, Because we got Ali and we got the Ali Center here. It Wasfho River. It was up for debate whether it was either going to be in LA or New York, and Muhammad wanted it here in Louisville. That's awesome. Now the other and this is probably not something and we don't need to talk about it, but since we are discussing at least moments where I felt like we had more attention on the city than ever, those two come to mind. The Scheffler thing, Ali passing away and just the funeral to send off that that that whole thing, but also I mean Breonna Taylor stuff like that was like you could just tell that that was that was a national story that you know, you brought up Louisville, Kentucky to people in that in that window of time, that was probably going to be the first thing that they think of. So anyways, uh, let's see the Tennessee quarterback whose name I can tell you his first name right, because that's pretty easy, Nico. But is it is it I Ron l that starts? Is it Lama Lavea? I think I said that commidently, didn't I Lama level?
Speaker 3: Well, when you said it like that very confidently, it does sound good. But also the who was the first take girl. What's her name is, Molly Quorum?
Speaker 2: Molly Quorum.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that what may be true too, because I think we may be uh mistaking that first like letter I for an L god, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: We'll we'll just call him Nico Nico So. Nico Nico A apparently wanted his an IL deal to be upped to four million dollars before the portal closed, and apparently Tennessee they were not gonna. They weren't mean And it sounds like just because I've been interested to kind of see if there's been any legitimate reporting. When I say legitimate, I mean like somebody who has covered SEC football or Tennessee football for a long time that what in fact, has have legitimate resources to get information, and I think this person is trustworthy. That's Chris Lowe, who's covered SEC football fre ESPN for a long time. He's a Capital Jay, as they say. It sounds like initially Tennessee was dealing with this by just kind of ignoring his handlers, like his family, and they didn't think it was an issue so much with him, which is kind of sad, right, Like he may not be really worried about it, he's just working on getting better. Yet he's got people behind the scenes that are trying to individually cash in on his career, which really isn't that uncommon. But once Tennessee apparently realized that, you know, they weren't going to be able to protect Nico in that he was likely going to follow through with I guess what his camp wanted him do, which was to set out he didn't show up to either a practice or a team meeting, and at that point, Tennessee cut ties with him, and he'll be transferring and going elsewhere. And I mean, good on Tennessee one for not panicking, right because not to say, look, if players have leverage and they use it, that's what most humans would do, Like that's just how I mean, that's just life. But this seems to be I mean, you could argue that this guy is not worth what he was already making. I mean, he was a barely above average SEC quarterback. Yes, they were having success, but Tennessee, you know, when it really became evident that josh Hipel was going to be able to get Tennessee relevant again, which he has they beat They beat Alabama twice in the last few years. I mean, Tennessee made a lot of bad hires after Phil Former, but I think Joshippel is clearly the guy that has been the best since then. And I think Tennessee has has reminded people that yes, we can be elite at football. But with Hypel, he's known for what a big, high powered offense. Well, Tennessee under Nico wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Like again, he was fine, and yes he's young, he could get better. But to know that he wanted more than four million dollars, I mean, I just don't mean if you and then this is where it really becomes an issue for Tennessee. I think even if they wanted to make it right with Nico and never let this become a story and just get in whatever money was needed because they trust him, the story became too big. It created a life of itself to where now if you were to get him back, and let's say you, you know you crawled to him and left him a blank check and said, Nico, please whatever, whatever, we just can't lose you, I think you'd lose some respect in that locker room because I think those guys have to know that, Yeah, the quarterback is always going to get more than most and the quarterback is important. But like we know this guy is and isn't going about it the right way. We know that, you know, I mean holding out in the spring to kind of hold your team's feet to the fire. You can do whatever you want. You have the right to do it. But it backfired on him because I don't think he'll end up at a better program, Like I think, honestly, maybe I'm way wrong here. This will probably be what he's most known for as a quarterback in college. No, like he'll go elsewhere, but like he's he gonna I mean, is he gonna have success to the level of like, like put it this way, what's more likely he ends up being a fine quarterback elsewhere, but like the team's not great, they're not making the playoff his numbers or whatever. Or he goes somewhere and wins big and Tennessee looks foolish. I think the first scenario that I threw out there is way more likely. Or he could go somewhere else and stink, like you know, there's also a level of maybe Josh Hipel And again, this guy had all the hype coming out of high school so he's been believed to be this game changer QB for a long time, since early high school years. But he also, you know, was playing for a quarterback or he's playing for a coach that most quarterbacks can shine under, and that's Josh Hypel, just because how good he is as an offensive coach. Or one question I had for folks out there, and I'll ask you this as well, Austin, because I don't have any really strong opinion on it, but this is also just a reminder of how different things are. So Dan Lanning, he is the Oregon head coach and to my knowledgy, he's the only person that actually did tewn did turn down Alabama in order for you know, that job to end up going to Kaylen Deibor. But he is reportedly the coach who let Tennessee know. Apparently Dan Lanning has a relationship with Josh Hypel, and he let Hypel know that Nico was sniffing around to get more money. Basically like he knarcked on him, basically saying, hey, your quarterbacks out here being shopped. His father, his agent, whoever it is, they're shopping him, and you need to know because he's going to come back to you and tell you he needs this amount of money and if not, he's going to go elsewhere. And I want you to know he tried to get it from us, and we told him there's no scenario we wouldn't we. Somebody, somebody behind him on the paywalls said that Dan Lanning essentially told whoever was asking for if there'd be interested in Nico, that they wouldn't pay him with Tennessee's paid him now. So part of me says, well, that that's karma that backfires on somebody, like on Nico and his family or his camp, whoever it is that things they can manipulate situation. But then there's also some saying, well, hey, you know you should have kept that internally. Your coach is a snitch. I don't I kind of don't mind him at all doing that, you know what I mean, Like, if you're I'm an Oregon fan, I don't care that he did that at all, And I would be mad if he did try to, you know, poach this guy and give up that kind of money. I mean, Oregon has Nike money, they probably have endless amounts of it. But I just think that's another sign of this thing being a backfire for Nico and his group, but also like coaches need to start doing that because here's I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for them when they claim that, you know, they're victims and all this, because yes, they've had to make some drastic changes to this job, because you know what, the job has changed. You have to do things now that you didn't have to do. You can't do it the same way you did twenty years ago and expected to work out the same way. Because players have power in a way they never have before. They went from having no power at all to now really being able to do whatever the hell they want. And that's a that's a big difference for these coaches. But coaches also have to kind of collectively. Let me give you an example. Whenever Deshaun Watson got that hilariously off, all time terrible contract from the Cleveland Browns, every quarterback in the NFL knew to Sean Watson wasn't worth that many quarterbacks were up for a contract that knew if he can get that, I'm getting more because that guy, he doesn't have MVPs and his trophy case like I do. Speaking of Lamar Jackson, But I give the NFL owner's credit. They had a consistent message to everybody, that's only the Browns, dumbass franchise that would do that. Nobody else is getting that money. You're not getting it. It's not it's not realistic. So any quarterback claiming DeShawn got this, I want that or more, you just need to understand that's just the Browns being dumbasses. Nobody else is gonna get paid like that. And I think for a while it was tough for Lamar Jackson to accept that, but that's what happened. Like, that's what it came down to. Only the Browns would have done that, and the rest of the league was not going to conform to Okay, well, I guess that's the new price tag for a new franchise quarterback. No, they knew, Okay, that's ridiculus. And we need to set the president that that was just the Browns being incompetent, which they've been really their whole life or their whole existence. So there needs to be a level of college coaches. I mean, they're always paranoid about stealing from each other, and you know, they always got to get an edge but when it comes to players just trying to you know, see how big they can take it as far as money, like there needs to be like a coaches collective and I don't mean like a collective where they are raising money, but like they could internally if they wanted to work together, like they could say, look here's where we're going and if you want to play college football, we we as a group of coaches have said this is the most that will pay. I mean, I don't know if you'd be able to do that, because I mean, actually you could, because yes, the NCAA is going to say, well, you can't restrict them. There's no way you can put a cap on it. That's not right. You don't have the right to do that. Fair enough, Well, it's not a cap. We're just collectively only going to offer what we what this is. They never do that because I mean, they don't want to work together. They want to you know, each other, because it's competition. But anyways, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, talk a little basketball. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So long before the transfer portal became what it is now and we had free agency like we do now with Anil and all that. I remember, Wow, what first it was just a different world. But I had a hard time even attempting to fake like that I could talk about a player that I'd never heard of or know anything about, like that's a recruit like it used to just irk me. And I don't know why. But there'd be there'd be a high school kid who you know, three star kid, you know, top one fifty, and you've seen ninety seconds of his highlights on YouTube or Twitter, Facebook, whatever, Instagram, and there's so many that just like, oh, this guy's a stud, this guy's great. Look at his ability to do this, and that he's good at this and that. And for the most part, I think it comes from just fans wanting to be so excited about any player that they bring in. But it also just and again, there's nothing wrong with that people love this stuff around here. People didn't love it the way they do, I wouldn't have this job, So I do understand it from that aspect, But like what happened to just like being real with ourselves and living in reality and knowing that, like, we don't know anything about these players, right, Like even if you're basing it off of, well, this guy is a five star or four star and he chose Louisville or Kentucky over this school and that school. That's a reference point that I think you should It is valuable, But like when you get into the weeds of like he's good at this and that, like none of us know. I mean, if you have an ability to watch a ninety second highlight reel of a high school basketball or football player and you can determine just how good they are from that, you need to be working for the NFL or the NBA or something. So I thought that the portal would make it to where that doesn't happen anymore. But I was wrong. And what I mean is that I'm willing to tell you when Louisville gets commitments from certain players, I'm not gonna lie to you and talk about how great they are. I'm gonna tell you, Yeah, had never heard of him until he either decided to transfer to Louisville or he was being recruited by Louisville. And then I looked up. Okay, yeah, this guy, you know, let me give you an example, Booba Car Trail Ray, Long Beach State. Like, what's wrong with just everybody acknowledging none of us knew who that was until he ended up on the radar. I mean, you know, it's a give and take because again, as much as that, for reasons I don't really know, irritate me, it's just people, you know, just fake taking it. I suppose. Also, I think the root of why they do that is because they just want to be that excited about whoever said player is. But the portal, I mean, look, you could bring in a class that features really good players that by all accounts have given you a top five portal class in your class that's ranked I don't know, three or four. It could feature players that you've never heard of during this past season because you know they were playing at low level schools. Well, now you've got guys that commit to Louisville and Kentucky from across the pond. That clearly it was like it was. It wasn't like I don't think anybody, and I could be wrong, trust me, I'm not plugged in at all. And you know, certainly not what I used to be. But like when Sonny Frew committed to Louisville, whenever that was, I mean, I was willing to acknowledge. Never heard of the guy, but from what I know, he's twenty years old, he's played in a professional league the last couple of years. Here is it's not here are his numbers? Seems like a pretty good get, Like it's okay, that was you know, That's the way it was for me. And I'm sure a lot of Louisville fans probably did the same thing. Or maybe you know, maybe they I don't know, maybe they were fake taking it and acting like, oh, I've been watching this guy's film from over in Germany for the last two years. Knew he was on the verge of getting that offer from Louisville, Like maybe you knew, I don't know. But nonetheless, Kentucky landed a new prospect from from overseas this weekend, and it's the same situation, Like it's okay to be excited. I'm sure your excitement is just because you're a fan, and I'm not here to tell you that the guy won't be great. Maybe this new guy that Kentucky added, whose name is uh is it Billovic? Billachick? I think that's his name, Like maybe he becomes like an All American next year. Who knows, none of us know. But I just wish there was a little bit more of living in reality and being honest with ourselves that he didn't know who this was Andreja Andrea Jelovich. His last name is pretty easy to say, Jelovic first name. I'm sure there's a couple of different ways that you could say it, but it led to like Kentucky. Oh I thought Pope was Withpan not so much. We got Jellovich and you know, like cool, like maybe he's maybe he's Michael Jordan, but like you don't like to act as if, oh, yeah, y'all thought Pope was working or y'all thought Pope was sleep and he was out working. So the kid may be great, but like, can't we just can we be honest and real with ourselves and act like we don't know who these guys are until they end up here and we just have to wait and see how it plays.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: I guess that wouldn't be fun and technically that wouldn't be what this is meaning. Sports radio very much built on speculation, fake takes and that kind of stuff hypotheticals. But one thing that is definitely worth mentioning about both these guys. They'll be first year college players, but they're grown men. I mean, I don't know their exact age, but you know, Sonny frew is, I believe, going on twenty one years old, and he's played professional basketball for quite some time. So you know, that doesn't guarantee anything as far as what he can and could do at Louisville, but I like the idea of his of what he's bringing. So in his last ten games for his team in Braunschwig kind of felt like I sounded like I knew what I was saying, but I don't know if I said it correctly. But it is in Lower Saxony, Germany. That's where he plays his professional league, and those that cover you know, international basketball, they've been sharing his numbers and again, in his last ten games, he's averaged sixteen points, eight point seven rebounds, just under two blocks per game, shooting sixty five percent from the field seventy three point three percent from the line. And he's only he's a big man, right, He's he's six', eleven so he didn't take a lot of, threes but he can make. Them so he's shooting forty point three percent from three on two attempts per. Game so it's not he's not necessarily this stretch big that's just out there roam in the three point. Line he gets a lot of his work done around the. Rim he plays above the. Rim he's really, physical but if if there is a pick and pop, situation he gets a clean, look he's more than comfortable taking. It look at, Me, Yeah i'm acting like you. Guys don't know who these guys. Are i'm just watching highlights and looking at. Numbers but you just never know any of this stuff. Translates BUT i just thought this was worth mentioning, that according to let's see this is a this is an account that covers international. Basketball he says this was definitely an under the radar commit For louisville and mentions that THE bbl league In germany is typically considered a top eight twelve league in the. World so, again he's not in THE nba playing, professionally but he is playing in a competitive, league and will those numbers there In germany translate To division one here At louisville only time will, Tell BUT i really really like THE i mean again as A louisville. FAN i, mean, however they get really good players that help us. Win that's that's you, know that's ALL i care. About but when you can get somebody who doesn't, have you, know the high school experience doesn't have a bunch of offers because they didn't play on THE au, circuit but yet they played professional basketball against grown. Men there's value there and it's never been more needed than now because, again five six years, ago the average college basketball's player's age at the high level was probably twenty twenty. One, now i'd say the average as far as your starting lineup in college basketball right, now probably closer to twenty, three twenty two to twenty. THREE i should. Say now again With kentucky's latest commit this, guy And i'm trying to uh cause, Again i'm sure these guys had, options meaning Both Sonny frew And Andrea, djavelovich but LIKE i don't, see like did they Pick kentucky over this school or pick Love all over that. School but this guy's played In Serbia, jelovich that's where he has played his last two. Seasons he's going to turn twenty one in a month from. Now he averaged double digit points in each of his last two. Seasons he's currently averaging ten point eight points per. Game And i'm trying to, see, LIKE i don't even know is He is he a Big, okay he's, uh let's, see he's got a seven to two, Wingspan BUT i don't, see, like is he is he a post? Player you think, that you? Know, oh here we. Go he's he's six, eleven but he's got a seven two wing span AND i can't tell if he's a three point shooter or. Not but either, way both schools here locally have added two guys That i'm sure the majority of their fan bases had never heard. Of but who, knows maybe next, year next, SEASON i should say this upcoming, season maybe these two guys, are you, know key. Pieces all, right let's see real quick before we get to Our, actually, no we need to get to our final break now SO i can make SURE i get a little bit of. Time BUT i want to talk About Michael Brown junior on the other, side Because i'm doing something for the first time ever as A louisville basketball, fan and it kind of feels. Fun but it's also kind of. Scary so we'll talk about that. Next keep it a lock right here On Sports talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to coffee And, company fueled By thornton's On Sports talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: Day, so when it comes to high school basketball, RECRUITING i mean it's always been really, important not as important now because you can build a roster year by year with nothing but grown men in the porol rather than guys coming fresh out of high. School but one thing that we paid more attention to Was louisville fans based off the fact that it was an annual thing For kentucky to have a bunch of one and dons every, year and early on they had a lot to show for those one and, dons not as much in the last half of The caliperi. Era But lowell never had. ONE i mean we had, many many one and, dons but not one and DONE nba like guys who just showed up and then left to go somewhere, else you. Know so AND i remember we used to be, like why can't we get? One AND i maybe it was just my way of coping with, it BUT i would, think, like, Yeah, kentucky what they're doing is insanely. Rare but there's a lot of other programs that aren't as successful As louisville is that has been able to get A Jalen brown at Cal, A Anthony edwards At, Georgia Kevin durant even At. Texas but what did those programs get out of that some note, right some pub because they were the home of a FUTURE nba star for a little, while but they didn't, win you know WHAT i. Mean AND i would just be more underwhelmed with my team if we got one of these Shiny burger boys that was destined to be a lottery pick after one year in, college only to then not make the most of, it and it be Over romeo Ol langford In, indiana WHICH i think Had rick not got, fired he would have been the one one and done That rick never. Had SO i, mean even before the portal became what it is, NOW i just you know you can do. That but even when you were doing, that Like Duke, Kentucky, kansas all those schools that tried to build their roster every year with as many elite high school kids as they could, get the only two that won titles that people just forget about were teams that also had really good veterans that helped them win. Championships you talked about that a couple weeks, Ago Like duke when they won it With jila Loka for And Justice. Winslow they also Had Quinn cook And Emil. Jefferson When Lucky wanted in twenty, twelve they also Had Terrence, Jones Doron Lamb, Senior Darius. Miller so like you've always had to have some veteran presence, too you. See, anyways WHAT i was mentioning before taking the break there is THAT i have never really looked at a freshman coming in At louisville as somebody that we had to rely on to do a whole lot or we wouldn't be very. GOOD i mean With, rick it was always the good freshmen that were coming. In you just hope, that, like if they're getting if they're getting, action if they're a part of your, rotation that probably means you got a pretty good. Team so for, Me i'm having a tough time not getting super excited about mckail brown junior because he wins the McDonald's All american three Point, shootout and then you go To Jonathan givoni who is the leader when it comes to draft. COVERAGE i, mean He's draft express is REALLY i, think in a world of its own as far as draft. Coverage, WELL espn bought it because that's how valuable he is when, covering you, know THE Nba, Draft and he's just raving about mckail brown and talking about how let me pull up the exact tweet, here BECAUSE i, mean this is the kind of thing, That, yeah maybe it's a little bit, hyperbole maybe IT'S i, mean in, fact he's not really he's not really saying anything. Outlandish BUT i feel, like for the first, Time i'm gonna have a tough time not Expecting louisville to be really good and one of those big factors being their freshman point. Guard Maybe i'm being a fool here because it's been it's harder now than it's ever been in order to make a huge impact as a true freshman unless you're one of the elite of the. Elite but it you, know it seems like this guy is one of the elite of the. ELITE i mean HE'S i, Mean, Marie, yeah this is this is From Jonathan. Givoni this Was this was just a few days, ago Says Louisvill brown Mkil brown having an Absolutely i'm, SORRY i can't read having an absurdly good week at The Nike Hoops, summit clearly separating himself as the best guard prospect on either, team gets anywhere he wants on the, floor highly skilled inside and outside the, arc can, pass it may end up being a top five pick. OVERALL i don't know If louisville has ever had a freshman in my lifetime that was talked about like that by somebody who you, know maybe you don't even know Who Jonathan givoni. Is you should if you KNOW nba basketball and like the. DRAFT i, mean that's that's what he. Does so, again you never know until these guys get, here put on the uniform and they go out there and show what they can. Do but this, guy you, know when you talk about, well, okay, yeah you can still have really good freshmen and they can help, you but those that really change your, team that's just one of maybe four or five. Guys maybe this guy is one of those four or five. Guys that's what it's starting to seem. Like it's exciting, stuff all, Right hopefully you guys had fun TODAY i had fun getting the week. Started we're here all, week so, yeah stick Around. Austin you have a good, night my, friend you, too care aboudy
Speaker 1: Sh