Speaker 1: This podcast is intended for mature audiences. Listener discretion is advised. Sitting right next to the main highway through Gilmer, Texas, is an old cinder block building nestled in a leafy stand of hardwood trees. The building used to be a cafe, but it shut down a long time ago, probably before most of us were even born. Now, Don Holman, a former suspect in the disappearance of Kelly Wilson, lives in that same old cafe with his step son Raymond. This summer, I pulled up there on a hot and sticky afternoon. Don was outside rifling through the trunk of his car. He lifted up a couple of grocery bags from Dollar General. In't a hand, Nah, I think I got a hill cuddy. Okay, uh yeah, I'll tink a.
Speaker 2: Cookie I get. Let me get in there and we'll have.
Speaker 3: A folk sir.
Speaker 1: You know I don't say I don't say no thanks to too many cookies.
Speaker 4: Well, there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: Folks who knew Don pretty well say he's never been able to move on from the Kelly Wilson case. If you get him started, it's all he talks about. I mean, he was falsely accused of kidnapping and killing a girl in a Satanic ritual in the woods outside of town, which is the kind of stigma that's hard to shake. Gilmer residents who knew Don all their life, people who should have known better, really believed he was capable of killing Kelly, of killing and eating babies. That's got to take a toll. Don and I had been talking for a while.
Speaker 5: I want to show you something if you don't mind me showings, and I'm gonna show you this.
Speaker 6: I will come up here.
Speaker 7: He'll show you up.
Speaker 1: He led me down a hallway in his house to a bedroom filled with paper about to crack.
Speaker 5: Or I want to show you some of the stuff that I've done through the years.
Speaker 7: That's my stuff, all about the case?
Speaker 6: Yep, h well do you think that is files?
Speaker 7: Paperwork case?
Speaker 5: You see this right here, that's full of papers.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Now, if I'd done something wrong, I'll be going.
Speaker 6: I'm getting this ship out of here.
Speaker 8: I'm burning everything.
Speaker 5: I go to Florida, but I ain't to why I feel I want. I don't want revenge. I want we call it justice.
Speaker 6: Justice.
Speaker 5: But uh, what old Doc Holliday said, you know he goes, No, let's get it right. He said he doesn't. He doesn't want justice, in wants reparation or something.
Speaker 7: Oh, well, there's retribution.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I want them to have to. I want them to say, if we guys said Don listen, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: I ain't want to hurt him.
Speaker 5: But if you're sorry, didn't you tell him I thought he was guilty and and I'm.
Speaker 6: Sorry for it?
Speaker 5: Don't I need some justice after talking and writing all this stuff, I need some justice. But it don't mean I'm gonna get justice.
Speaker 1: Don's ex, remember her name is Tammy, was also wrongly accused of being in the Gilbert Devil cult. She says Don's obsession with justice or an apology at the very least, is ultimately what drove a wedge between them.
Speaker 4: Me and Don just kind of drew apart.
Speaker 9: And you know, Don dealt with all the stuff one way.
Speaker 4: Don didn't drink.
Speaker 9: Don didn't do any of that stuff ever, but he started drinking. And to me, out of everybody, it affected Don the worst. I mean, to me, it's made him crazy. He would not quit talking about it for at least ten y That's why quit hanging out and talking to them, Because it's all you want done.
Speaker 4: It's time to move on. It's not going to change. We're not going to get any money out.
Speaker 9: Of it, for sure, and you just got to start living life and dealing with what God gave us.
Speaker 4: To deal with, you know, and be happy that we're not in prison.
Speaker 9: I mean, that's I mean for real, you know, we could be dead right now or on death row. That's that's serious that I see all these innocent people going through that crap around the same era, and I'm like, wow, we got off by the skin.
Speaker 4: Of our teeth. It was more of a miracle than I even realized.
Speaker 1: Despite their differences, Donna Tammy have remained friends.
Speaker 4: We're still cordial. I've got three other kids since.
Speaker 9: You know, I got remarried and and I bring my kids over.
Speaker 4: He's met my kids and we talk and we get along. Okay, we're not enemies or anything. I know right now that if I needed something, Don would give it to me. I could ask him and he would help me. He's sick, or I try.
Speaker 9: To call him on his birthday, say hey, it don't take long for him get on my nerves and I'm like, okay.
Speaker 4: I'm out. I keep telling people. He wouldn't like this man was really was he? Please tell me who's got worse.
Speaker 1: Tammy has been more lucky, putting some emotional distance between herself and the Kelly Wilson ordeal. But just like don she can't move on. She'd like to. She wants to put it all behind her. That's not how the world works.
Speaker 4: After all that this happened, I got remarried and I just run.
Speaker 9: And made myself forget about all that crowd. And then the craziest thing is after I get a divorce, which was ten years.
Speaker 4: Ago, I didn't realize how.
Speaker 9: Hard it was going to be for me to even I can't even get a job, you know, a decent job.
Speaker 4: Time I get a decent job, they go do a background check. I mean, and I don't get it. I know for a fact it's because of this. I don't even have a car. I haven't had a car in ten years. I mean, I have to walk to work. I have to get a job close enough to my house just to walk to work and back. It's because I can't afford nothing. I can't go to a doctor because I don't have no money for a doctor.
Speaker 9: I've had nice job opportunities, and they'll say, well, we're going to go to a background check and never hear from them.
Speaker 4: This is crazy.
Speaker 9: This should not even be on my record because I'm struggling now just to barely make it.
Speaker 4: I had a.
Speaker 9: Great opportunity to go work in a cafeteria at the school.
Speaker 4: I mean, to me, that was a great job, you know. I mean, I would love to be at working a cafeteria at a school.
Speaker 9: There was one where they wanted me to take care of a bunch of elderly people at an old folks home. That was a great opportunity. Turned down on that anyway, I quit trying. I mean, I don't even The only jobs I can get are.
Speaker 4: Kid jobs, you know what I mean, Like McDonald's.
Speaker 9: I can get a job at any fast food restaurant, but I can't get a job anywhere else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a cook at a gas station right now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And it's just miserable. I just you know, I want a decent job where I can live. I can't even take care of myself right now, and it's not.
Speaker 4: Right bas It's like I'm never going to get this off my back.
Speaker 1: But no one has had a tougher time than Raymond. He was a little boy when his foster parent coerced him into accusing his own mom and stepdad of sacrificing Kelly Wilson to the devil.
Speaker 9: Raymond's the one you want to talk to about all the I mean, he's got the story.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll give Raymond your number and let me tell you.
Speaker 9: Raymond, that poor baby, I'm not saying he's crazy, but you can tell this is suspected him.
Speaker 1: One time was going down the old three hundred that's a highway in Gilmer.
Speaker 5: And he busted out crying. He said, I'm so sorry. He said, don I'm so sorry that I said somebody. But he said they were hurting me. I said, Raymond, I'm not mad you. I'm very proud of you. He said, well, they were hurting me. He said they told me that y'all was not in jail, y'all was with Luther, and that y'all didn't even care nothing about him. And I said, no, that's not true, Raymond, we was in jail. He said, I didn't know that.
Speaker 7: Though, I'd have been so traumatizing.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 5: And man, if you want to get him r all up, if he gets talking about it, I had to quiet it down. He's gonna throw still and everything. But he said he'll he'll get mad, he said, son of a bitches. He said, yeah, what did they do to me over there? They left me over there and getting abused and everything that ain't righting, and they ain't gonna do nothing for nobody on and uh.
Speaker 7: Where is he?
Speaker 6: He went?
Speaker 5: Probably off with his brother, uh fishing. But if you get him to talking now, he's gonna be pretty radical.
Speaker 6: I'll try to.
Speaker 5: Tell him, said Raymond, Now, don't go ape shits.
Speaker 6: But just because.
Speaker 5: He's not a mean guy.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at this house.
Speaker 5: He painted this house from me, and he can put down flooring and everything. I mean, you look aware, look at that he painted and everything. But when he goes into one of them rages, he you think sometime he's really for everybody else and he's kind of mad that same people we.
Speaker 1: Are who wouldn't be mad. The next time I came by Don's place, Raymond was home. He seemed pretty guarded at first.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm honest with you, I didn't even want to talk with you, like I really didn't, uh, Non asked me. The other day, he kind of got upset because I told him. He said, hey, he wants to come and talk with you. I told him I don't have anything to say to him.
Speaker 1: Then Raymond started talking and he couldn't stop from imperative entertainment. I'm wes Ferguson. This is Deviltown. This is chapter seven the Wreckage. To understand what happened in Gilmer, you need to understand that all this was going on right in the middle of the Satanic Panic, a time when fear of devil cults was sweeping the United States. It was basically a national witch hunt in the eighties and nineties, thousands of lurid cases from coast to coast of so called satanic ritual abuse. And the crazy thing is there was almost no evidence for any of it. It took three factors coming together to create the perfect Satan storm. For one thing, people were finally taking child abuse seriously. Child abuse was a real problem that had been ignored far too long. Second was a revival in evangelical beliefs with a big emphasis on the devil. He wasn't just a metaphor for the dark side of human nature. Satan was real, and if you let your guard down, he was coming for you. I remember when I was a little kid, a traveling expert gave a talk at our Baptist church. The next thing I knew, my he Man toys were gone and I couldn't watch the care Bears anymore. Those were the devil's playthings. The factor fueling the Satanic panic was a controversial practice of psychotherapy called recovered memory therapy. The idea behind recovered memories was that you might have experienced something so traumatic your brain won't even let you think about it. You push it down, leave it buried, and the recesses of your subconscious To deal with these awful memories, you have to dredge them up. Back in ninety four, after all the charges in the Kelly Wilson case were dropped, the Texas Attorney General's Office brought in a child psychiatrist named Bruce D. Perry. His job sort through the mess and try to figure out which of the Kirk kids and Raymond had actually been abused and which hadn't. It wasn't so easy, and that leads us back to holding therapy and Raymond. Despite all the courtroom drama that had occurred with the release of the eight suspects, including James York Brown and Raymond's mom Tammy and his stepdad Dawn. Raymond was still with his foster Barbara Bass. She must have truly believed she was helping Raymond to recover traumatic memories. Every time she held him down and dug her knuckles into his ribs until he told her what she wanted to hear. The experience left Raymond so scarred he was afraid to go around grown ups at all. Then Barbara Bass drove him to Dallas to meet with doctor Perry, the child psychiatrist.
Speaker 2: I didn't trust Bruce Perry at first. All adults in my mind were out to get me. I was like, you can't trust any of these people, Like they're all gonna try to hurt us. They're lying, they're all like something's wrong with them. They're talking about killing people and eating them and devils and just like everything that I was scared of.
Speaker 1: Raymond didn't really have anything to say to doctor Perry, so they sat down and colored together. Days later, doctor Perry showed up at the Bass's place in East Texas.
Speaker 2: Bruce would come by the house he got to where he would and call me to his office to talk, and he would come out there to the Bass home and visit with me. Well, he would always be like, on a special occasion, he'd always bring me something like pair of boxing gloves or a basketball or baseball and a glove and a mint, you know, play catch. He would never ask me questions about my parents and stuff like that. It was just on a you know, hey man, I came back to see you. How are you doing today? So it took a while, but he told me, he said, Raymond, he said, when I met you, he said, I knew that you didn't trust He said, I knew that you were scared of adults and didn't trust adults. He said, I didn't know why, because he didn't know I was being amused by Barbara basket person. But he said, then I started seeing how Barbara acted when I was at the home, he said. I'd see her in my office. I seen how she presented herself with the kids. You know y'all, he said. But then when i'd pop up in on y'all at the high he said, I've seen how the other kids were reacted to her, how they reacted to me.
Speaker 1: Barbara had the Kirk kids and Raymond so trained up they would spout off the answers they thought adults wanted to hear. Doctor Perry came up with a clever way to get to the truth.
Speaker 2: And he basically tricked me. And what he did is he brought a device that it was a heart monitor. It was like a vest and it had a watch, and he would wear the watch and it would tell my heart rate. And he knew when I got nervous about things, that my heart rate going up and down.
Speaker 1: So with Raymond wearing a heart monitor, doctor Perry asked him questions about Kelly Wilson and the abuse allegations. As Raymond launched into the gruesome story he thought doctor Perry wanted to hear. His heart rate stayed the same, He wasn't traumatized at all. Then doctor Perry asked Raymond about Barbara Bass holding him down and rubbing his ribs. That's when Raymond's heart rate spiked. That's what had traumatized him, not a fanciful story about sacrificing babies.
Speaker 2: That was the day that I had told him that Barbara Bass, you know, about the holding technique and what she had been doing, because until then I hadn't told all these other doctors and you know, I'd only told those foster parents that my first foster parents and and Gore, they were the only people that I had told that Barbara Bass was doing this. So I won't like, like when they, you know, the Basses would take us out with somebody else, I wouldn't tell them, like, hey man, this lady's like all of us kids are getting like messed up by this lady. Like, you know, like because I didn't know who was with who, like and I was, I was terrified of Barbara Bass. Like I still don't like wearing seat belts, I don't like hogs, I don't like things around my rib cage like. But Bruce Perry, uh, he ended up being like somebody I hold high regards, like in my mind as far as respect because he uh, pretty much he's the reason that we got out of that home.
Speaker 1: Doctor Perry decided that Raymond needed a change of scenery. The whole time he'd been living in Barbara Bass's house, Raymond had been with his little brother Luther.
Speaker 2: That was one of the last things my mom has told me. She said, you know, you take care of your baby brother, right, And so when I was at the Bass home, I was real over protective over eat because he was still a baby. And so when the other kids would go to pick on him or went and you know, let him have his way, I was always you know, they're like real defensive over room. And then one day they ended up they separated us. They they took us to Tyler to go see my mom. Point I won't allowed to see don anymore. And then uh, they told Barbara Bass they were taking all us kids to like Burger King, and then uh, they took me and drove me out to Waco.
Speaker 1: Te Raymond was taken to a Methodist children's home in Waco.
Speaker 2: Met a kid there and he told me, he said, Raymond, he said, I don't know what all you've been through, you know, he said, but uh, once you get to this home, you don't get to go home, like you know, like everybody here, like we don't get to see our parents no more, like you know, we're here till we're eighteen, or we get adopted or something.
Speaker 1: Believing he had no chance of being reunited with his mom, stepdad, and baby brother, Raymond lost hope. He started getting in trouble. His caregivers sent him down the hill to a facility for the bad kids.
Speaker 2: And when I was down down that hill they had that was like for all the troublemakers in that home. And I was the youngest one down there. They were all like sixteen seventeen, most of them because they were the bad kids, you know. And uh so I picked up a lot of bad habits from those kids. They're huffing glue and all kinds of crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: Raymond was just eight years old, and probably he struck up a friendship with a boy of sixteen, and that kid had a plan to break out.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: He was like, look, he said, when we go to school, he said, uh, act up in school. And he said, they're gonna send us back here to our dorm rooms. He said, when they bring us to lunch, he said, we're gonna take our food and put it in bags. And he said, we're already gonna have our clothes packed up. And he said, I know how to get us out of here. He throw that fire exinger fro through the window and we ran out and hid from him. It was a big property and we ran into the night. You know, it got dark, and I think finally like a security guard spotlighted me. I was along the fence line, and I couldn't climb the chain link fence like I was eight years old, you know. And the kid I was with jumped the border fence and took off. They ended up catching him like an hour or two later.
Speaker 1: After Raymond's ill fated escape attempt, he was sent to another place, a boys ranch. Raymond had spent two years in foster care. One day, an associate of Raymond's old friend, doctor Bruce Perry, the child's psychiatrist, came to visit Raymond at the ranch.
Speaker 2: Bill Baker came to see me one day and he said, Raymond, you want to come take a walk with me? And I said yeah, And I started walking with him and we were talking be out there. They had ponds and stuff, and he stopped over there by the pond and he looked at him and said, Raymond, I want to ask you something. He said, I'm serious, and I said what He said, You want to go home to your mama. And I remember I started crying and I was like, yeah, I want to go home. And it took him about a week or two later and they drove me here to the Yamborie grounds here in Gilmer and dropped me off with my mom. They were like, here you go, like and like all my aunts and uncles were there, and that was the first time I'd seen them in years, so I was like, it was just like real exciting. And then uh, and then later on that night I got to you know, we stopped by here and Luther and Don were here at the house, like Don's mother was here, So that was like, it was a good day.
Speaker 9: I got up Luther back first, and then Raymond was like six months later, I guess, and they bought him a bedroom suit apiece, and that was it.
Speaker 4: Sorry, we screwed up your kids. Our bad We screwed your kids up. Here you go figure it out.
Speaker 9: You won't be able to get a job anywhere, won't be able to do anything with your life, but.
Speaker 4: Here you go.
Speaker 1: Although Don was there to greet Raymond on the day he got out of foster care, Don and Tammy were no longer a couple. The family Raymond remembered was no more.
Speaker 2: After all this was over. It really wasn't over because when I came home, my mom and Don had already split up. Me and my mom bounced around. So just give me a different outlook on things. Put me on like a don't trust authority type thing when I was in school. I remember when I came home. The day I came home, I can remember like telling myself, I don't care whatever happens from this day forwards, because by the time I came home, I never thought I was going to see them again. So when they brought me home, that was like it was like the best day, you know what I mean. Like in my mind, I'm thinking, I don't care. What if I never achieve a goal in my life or graduate high school or you know the things that when you're a kid, like that's what in your mind, you're like, Oh, when I grow up, I wanted to be this. I felt like all my prayers had minute. I got to come home, but it really won't like come home and you think you're going right back to your home, and I didn't. You know, don took custody of Luther, my mom had custody of me. We were all together, but we won't together. And I remember like having to carry that guilt with me for a while, which I already had feeling like I broke my family apart and going through all.
Speaker 1: This despite their reassurances. Raymond couldn't shake the feeling that Donna and Tammy resented him for his role in their arrests.
Speaker 2: They were sitting there in jail. I'm sure they were probably sitting there at times and thinking, what in the hell is Raymond talking about? Why would he why would his little ass be out in there fucking lying on us? Like, because that's how I would feel. It gives you a different perspective of it.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 11: I just think that every kid in your shoes would have done the same thing. I think that's just I mean, it's happened again and again. You know what if you for worse torture, you know, a kid, the kids eventually, just every kid is going to tell the adult what they want to hear.
Speaker 7: You know, it's not it's not you.
Speaker 2: It's all children and adults too. Adults when they were waterboarding them guys over there at uh Anamo Bay, when they were over there waterboarding them Muslims. Not all that intel is a Bible like they know that. Like so like it gives you a different view on things. Like I said, it's just a bit trust issue thing. So from seven years old, my head's been full of double worshiping killers, cannibalism, sexual misconduct. I was submerged in that type of atmosphere. People they just want to go off and tell off what they hear. So trust is like a big issue with me because i had trust broken at a very early age, and I've seen how the system could be corrupt, and I think, you know, like sometimes I think about it and I'm like, what if Barbara Bass really did have good intentions even though I was their first hand and seeing the fucked up side of it. But like in the back of my mind, I'm like, well, maybe, you know, maybe it was just something that kind of like, you know, one thing led to another, led to another, lad to another.
Speaker 9: It was this chain of events, and when he first came home from foster care, he had a love for her.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they call it stockson.
Speaker 1: That's Raymond's mom, Tammy, talking about his conflicted feelings for Barbara Bass. Stockholm syndrome is where hostages form emotional bonds with their captors.
Speaker 9: You know, I'd get so angry, you know, but I knew it was his faults, and I just I don't know how long it took it took him to get over that, But you know, maybe a year or so he got you know, the hatred of them started coming out little by little, and.
Speaker 2: Then part of me goes, well, what if it was all like some kind of big scam. You think about every scenario. When there's a question mark and you don't know the answer, you start putting anything in there for an answer, to see what fits. Affects everything I'm uh, the way I interact with people, just everything I'm really It's affected my life a lot. I don't I don't care for strangers. I like I like being around big like crowds, but I didn't finish high school. Driving down the street going to work, somebody on the side of the street stranded, I don't want to stop. I don't want to be that person to involve myself. I want to stop. I want to pull over and get out and say, hey, man, are y'all all right? Y'all need to use a cell phone? You need some waters? I got back here in the truck. Can I give you a ride into town? But I never stopped for him because I don't want to be involved in anybody, you know that's outside of my circle.
Speaker 1: I left my conversation with Raymond feeling just so sad he's a broken man. When all the charges were dropped in the Kelly Wilson case, Folks and Gilmert were left to sort through the wreckage. Scott Leefford went back to private practice. Caseworkers A Gore and Debbie Minshew resigned from CPS. Connie Martin, the one time witness, moved down to Special Investigator Brooks Flags Christian Retreat in Louise. This place called the Shepherd's Rest. A local news reporter tracked down Connie at the Shepherd's Rest and East Texans were in for yet another shock.
Speaker 12: Martin asked to be interviewed without Flag present. She said she had something important to say.
Speaker 3: I'll just come out and tell you what it is. Because the Kelly Wilson thing is not true.
Speaker 12: Martin says she was coerced into confessing to taking part in Kelly Wilson's murder and tricked into leveling murder accusations against other family members and friends along with Gilmour police sergeant James Brown.
Speaker 3: They's practically tell me what was said, and I would say that it didn't happen. They'd say yes it did, and I would say no, it didn't. I keep pressure me and say, no, I know what did happen.
Speaker 1: Brooks Flag had a lot to worry about, as did the other members of the special prosecutors team. Shane Phelps, the Assistant Attorney General for the State of Texas, was threatening to turn the tables and file criminal charges against them. Here's Shane, And.
Speaker 6: Ultimately I subpeeded all of them to the grand jury and told them that they were targets of the grand jury because I was seriously contemplating and dining them for official oppression because it was so wrong what they did.
Speaker 7: So I didn't do that one.
Speaker 6: Because this had been this whole satanic nonsense, had been such a distraction that nobody was devoting any resources to finding Kelly Wilson. It was nobody. I knew that if I had indicted them, and I could have indited it, and I could have convicted it. There's no question in my mind that if I had done that, then that would have been the story. That's what people would have been talking about. That's where all of our resources would have been devoted. And I didn't want that. I wanted to see if we could find Kelly Wilson and get some answers for the parents. So I made the decision not to. I've gone back and forth over the years. I guess it was so outrageous. It would have been a good thing for I think everything to have been aired in court so the public could have seen what an operation this investigation was, and they would have been as angry as that was, because we could have put experts on the stand about interrogation techniques, and there's not a single person with any kind of expertise in police interrogation tactics who would not have said that was so far beyond acceptable.
Speaker 1: The Lifeer team had narrowly avoided criminal prosecution. James Brown tried a different tack. Just two months after the charges against Sergeant Brown were dropped, he filed a civil lawsuit against Special Prosecutor Scott Leifford and the members of the team, alleging malicious prosecution. James Brown told the news media that Gilmer residents were shunning him in the streets. His reputation was destroyed.
Speaker 8: I always thought Jians was sort of a black and white kind of guy, but not a whold on a gray Keith Fields betrayed by the justice system, not only with what happened with the accusation but then what happened when he tried to go redress what had happened in his civil lawsuit.
Speaker 1: This is James Brown's attorney, David Moore.
Speaker 8: When the charges were dismissed, we filed, along with Andy Tyndall, lawyer over in Tyler, a civil rights lawsuit against Lafford's law firm, Bag's Flag, Gore Minshew, and the court reached the decision that because the Flags and Bag were acting under the color of law enforcement, that they had qualified immunity, as did Goren Minshew and poured us out in federal court saying that we can get over the qualified immunity hump, I think we did. You know, I disagree with the judge's decision in that deal. But yeah, it's just it's just a shame, just a shame.
Speaker 1: Here's James Brown.
Speaker 10: That's what can be done to them.
Speaker 8: They're wrongdoings.
Speaker 10: Being held accountable, they slip through the cracks, you know. So it's like old opening Pandora's box on the justice system if they are held accountable, and they don't want to do that.
Speaker 7: And that's the sad part about it.
Speaker 13: And my feelings are, you know, like I said, they should have done something to those people. But the way the system is set up, they have immunity to certain things. You know, no matter if they lie.
Speaker 10: Or falsify stuff for hurt people, they don't care and they go on about their little lives. And I don't believe that that's the way the justice system was set up.
Speaker 8: The beach.
Speaker 10: I believe that you tail the truth, and the truth is the truth.
Speaker 7: And I've always believed that.
Speaker 14: How big of a problem is qualified immunity in protecting bad actors.
Speaker 8: I think it's a huge problem. And you know, you see a lot of discussions about on the federal level of removing that qualified immunity that cops have to lawsuits.
Speaker 14: One thing that really shocked me talking to the boy who was subjected to the holding technique, Raymond is long.
Speaker 7: Tammy said, So she.
Speaker 14: Thirty years later, still can't get a decent job, can't afford car.
Speaker 7: She walks from her apartment where she rents.
Speaker 14: A room, to the nearest gas station and just runs the deep fryer every day.
Speaker 7: And she, you know, every time she applies for a job, like even.
Speaker 14: To be a lunch lady at the school, is say like, oh, you're great, you know, like we can't wait to.
Speaker 7: Work with you. We just have to run a background check.
Speaker 14: And then they run the background checks, they find out that she has these hot molestation charges.
Speaker 7: She never hears another.
Speaker 14: Word from them, So it's really I mean, it's just ruined her life for decades.
Speaker 8: Right, it's a stigma that you can't get passed.
Speaker 14: I mean, is there anything that can be done for these people at this point?
Speaker 8: I'll tell you what. Next time you talk to her, have her call me. I'll be glad to talk to her and say there's something we can do to help her, because that ought not be a cloud still following her.
Speaker 1: Thirty years later, I passed along David's message to Tammy. When she called his law firm, she was told it would cost six thousand dollars to clear her record, So she'll keep walking to work at the gas station. Some folks are just too poor for justice. As for Kelly Wilson, missing since January fifth, nineteen ninety two, she's still out there.
Speaker 8: It bugs me, thirty years later what happened. It bugs me for James's sake and his family. It bugs me for Kelly's sake and her family because I think I think that they damaged what should have been a real investigation into her disappearance, and I think it got sidetracked for years as a result of these with these guys and gals did and it's just it's a shame. It's a shame.
Speaker 1: Sergeant Brown never returned to the Gilmer Police Force. His days as a cop were done. He eventually found work as a prison guard his life. Penny had stood by his side when he was accused of kidnapping and murdering Kelly Wilson, but the legal ordeal changed him. Here's Penny, Well.
Speaker 15: It's pretty much made him feel insecure, angry. He was a nervous wreck. I think he felt lost, you know, it's just terrible. He was on medication, an I depressant. He saw a psychiatrist and we both saw a counselor together to try to deal with all the emotions of what had happened and how it was affecting this. He was on a lot of medication and then he had that many stroke.
Speaker 1: Several years after the charges were dropped, James and Penny Brown got divorced, and as I learned from poking around Gilmer, a lot of these Texans still believe he's guilty.
Speaker 7: That's the bad part of it at all. You know, sometimes people.
Speaker 10: Want to believe alive and the truth because the truth isn't near as fantastic.
Speaker 11: I think it's still like that to this day.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they rather believe a lie.
Speaker 10: Than believe the truth. You know, that's treating I just get to the point of not won't even talk about it because it's not about me. It's about Robbie and his daughter finding hurt.
Speaker 1: Despite all he's been through and all the time that's gone by, James Brown still believes Kelly Wilson will be found. He believes that someday Kelly's parents will have closure.
Speaker 10: There's several suspects that are still open. Not everything lies at one door until you find the final key.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: That's that's more or less objective investigation. You don't draw a conclusion to one person in see you know for a fact that person is person.
Speaker 8: You know what they say.
Speaker 13: Nowadays, there's persons.
Speaker 10: Of the interests will in this case, there's Saberle.
Speaker 1: Them the case of a missing girl got lost. In all the hysteria, Kelly is still out there somewhere with the satanic panic a distant memory. I want to Know What Really Happened to Kelly Wilson. Deviltown is a production of Imperative Entertainment. It was written and created by me Wes Ferguson. Executive producer is Jason Hoak. Audio engineering and editing by Shane Freeman and Jason Hoak. Original score is by Robert Ellis, recording by Austin Sisler at east Side Studios. If you like the show, leave a review, and don't forget to tell your friends thanks for listening.