Speaker 1: You are listening to Something Rather Than Nothing. Creator and host, Ken Velante. Editor and producer, Peter Bauer.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody.
Speaker 3: This is Ken Velante with the Something Rather Than Nothing podcast. And I am very pleased to have Jay Webster Sharp reaching Gemma from New York. And Gemma is an illustrator that I encountered on Instagram that had such a visceral impact on me, the illustrations.
Speaker 2: And powerful images.
Speaker 3: And I just kind of got drawn into these images, which is why I reached out to you, Gemma.
Speaker 2: And I'm just so pleased to have you on the show. Welcome on to Something Rather Than Nothing.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me. I, uh.
Speaker 3: There's, there's a couple like bigger typical questions that I tend to ask guests, um, that I like to explore, like their identity as artists. And, uh, my first question is, was there a moment you saw yourself as an artist and identified as an artist? Was it, did it happen as a moment or has that happened or what's your feelings on that?
Speaker 4: I feel that it was something that I just kind of grew into from being a kid and, um, knowing like when you're about seven or eight wow i'm really good at drawing because it's better than all my classmates drawings and paintings and stuff and being worried if a new kid joined the class who could draw pretty well because it meant that my place in that class has been the good drawer it was in jeopardy and that makes me sound mean but i i wasn't at all i think um I think I decided when I was about 13 that I was going to be an artist because that was about the age that I realized that, oh, this is something that you could do as a living. And I would read a lot of artists' biographies and get taken to art galleries in the nearest cities and things. So it kind of felt like it was something that was doable. And that's kind of what I aimed for from about 13.
Speaker 3: So when you're in, when you're in class, when you're younger, was there something like you were intuitively drawing or processing out? Like for myself, I do geometric geometric patterns like in repetition. And that started when I was a kid. It's just something I like to do. Was there, was there a types of things that kind of emanated from you when you were younger?
Speaker 2: Uh, just like flowing out of you.
Speaker 4: I think you talk about repetition. I think I was very good at the way I taught myself was, um, to copy things that I found, copy drawings. And I had colouring books that were... I had a great colouring book that was a fellow's name, Russo, did all those jungle scenes. And there was a page and it had the tiger coming out of the jungle and the tiger's got this manic look on its face. And you're drawing it as a kid and thinking, wow, you know, this looks crazy. And also... I come from a working class background and I would get a lot of praise if I could, if I copied something and got it as correct as I could, I'd get praise for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Because I, you know, I came from a family that was more responsive to, you know, more of the kind of like realist looking stuff, not so much abstract work. and sculpture and things. And so I felt that looking back now, that was the direction I was encouraged in because that was the kind of artwork my family could understand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like that.
Speaker 3: There was like a value within. I, I, I think I know in my mind, what, what you mean is like within the kind of, um, um, work in that like you had done it really well like you had done the work really well like as opposed to something in the environment where it's like super you know imaginative creative like you did the work well what was like what was like when you when you uh were you know doing art when you're younger like what was the reaction like what was your environment like even in school did you feel like there were positive cultivations of it or it was like your secret your secret love.
Speaker 4: No, it was very, I mean, knowing what I do now about art lessons in British schools, I think I was very lucky to get the art education I had in the primary school and secondary school that I went to. Um, it was way more involved, um, very encouraged. Um, you've got to look at lots of different artists and, um, Now, it isn't like that at all. It didn't feel like something I had to keep secret. It didn't feel like something that wasn't considered proper. And I never met anyone who didn't take me seriously in my career goals. I never had anyone tell me that I couldn't do it or that it was unrealistic, even though I never knew anyone who had gone that direction it to them, I seemed capable of doing it. So I was encouraged.
Speaker 3: You moved into, um, I believe like portrait, uh, painting, uh, and, and, and for context to the listeners, um, uh, Gemma's Gemma's work, uh, moving more.
Speaker 2: Into kind of, uh, general sequential, uh, sequential art.
Speaker 3: And I'd read more from a portrait painting. Within that period of your art, were you enjoying that? Was that exactly how you saw yourself? And related to that, what was the transition to the type of thing where I can find your book in the comic book store and just be like, whoa, who is this? Which was my experience. So from the work that you were doing into more of the comic space?
Speaker 4: Well, I'd had exposure to comics when I was a kid. When I was a teenager, that turned into Dan Clowes and the like. Oh, yes. Even though I was a painter, I did see comic work and graphic work and paint work as kind of belonging to different worlds, really, when that wasn't the case. But I'd gone to university with the aim of being a portrait painter. That was what I was interested in and what I could do well. But I just didn't have the personality, the confidence to carry off that kind of career. And, of course, I didn't know that until I'd left university and tried to make a go of it. And it just didn't work. because I wasn't the type of person to push myself forward or make connections and it kind of I really tried to stay on that track for a long time and I kind of tried my hand at like textile sculpture and and then I kind of dip into drawing and think oh no I shouldn't be doing this I should be doing painting because that's what I went to university for and take took out a student loan for and I'd always go back to the painting and then that wouldn't work and I just spend I spent a good few years kind of yo-yoing back between drawing and painting because I couldn't do and I still can't I can't do the two things both at the same time two different things so I can't paint and draw it's got to be one or the other And I had a go at making comics back in about 2009. And it kind of worked. And people liked it. And then I fell out of that and went back to painting. From where I am now is where I began back in May 2021. And now I've just made this my career. And it feels like it's kind of worked. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: The book you put out, The Scrapbook of Life and Death, first of all, in my experience in reading it, I just really try to, you know, in talking aloud, like in audio and speaking with you about death, Um, you know, the world of illustration that you do, I just want to say like my art experience, like my experience of that recently and going through that, it pulled me so deeply into a text, into, uh, into the pages, into the lines, into the illustrations that, uh, it just, I don't have the words to describe it, but it was, really moving into that world. I think there's this fascinating, deep eccentricity that I didn't know other people enjoyed or would enjoy about the idea of what people collect or collect a lot of or what they pick out from the environments around them and like the curious, the strange of like, I can't believe that happened. And, and, and it's in that world, um, uh, that you do, you know, the recent work scrapbook of, uh, life and death. Um, and, What is it about what people collect, or in the instance of this book, what somebody else collects that launched you into this project, the eccentricity of collection? What brought you to that space?
Speaker 4: Well, my book is kind of from a book that which was filled with all these newspaper clippings, this fellow, George Ives had compiled. You get hoarders, you get collectors of baseball cards and film memorabilia and autographs and things. And it's like people... people trying to find an anchor for themselves in a world that isn't maybe particularly as friendly to them as it could be. It's about not having control maybe over parts of your existence, but then you can come home to this world you've made of your own and filled with things of yours. Um, Spaces. I'm interested in spaces. I'm interested in what I can show in the space in a panel. I'm interested in the spaces people inhabit, the worlds of their own that they make. And that's really interesting because it says so much about the people.
Speaker 2: Yeah i really like oh sorry no no go ahead please no.
Speaker 4: Not that this has anything to do with hoarding or collecting but i think about i think about the documentary and by the mazels um gray gardens a lot and the space that um little edie and big edie inhabited with all those cats and raccoons and Their house falling down around them and it's just filled with trash and rubbish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I think about them and that world. That's a great documentary. I watch that so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the recommendation. Have you ever seen that?
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's on YouTube. You should go watch it.
Speaker 3: I definitely will, right after this.
Speaker 2: How'd you get into Fatty Arbuckle, right? I could say that for myself.
Speaker 4: I don't even know. It's kind of like the life I've had and just picking up bits and pieces here and there and kind of knowing that I know of people and events before I even really know of them just because I've I encountered them by chance, just like, it's like I've always known who he was without knowing anything about him. So I obviously went to an antiques fair and saw something or read something on the internet when I was, you know, probably reading about Buster Keaton or something. Mostly it was, I was watching, there's a documentary series on YouTube that's about eight episodes long and it was made in the late 70s, early 80s. And it was about the beginning of Hollywood, back when silent filmmaking moved from rooftops in New York across to California because the sun was out all the time. And everything that's Hollywood now used to be like orange groves. And there's an episode of that. Most of the episode is about Fatty Arbuckle. It's a story that I've definitely heard snippets of over the years, because if you like true crime, you probably know something about it. If you like old Hollywood, you're going to know about it from that.
Speaker 2: Scandal, scandal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Media.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Trial by media. Practically one of the first ones as well, and and just his associations with other people of the time, like Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin. And I just thought it was such a, it's still a story that people have very strong feelings about, you know, today, a hundred years down the line, practically. And I just wondered if I could tell it in the way that I, you know, cause I make wordless work. So this guy was the star of silent films. And I, I thought, I thought I'd have a go at kind of telling this story in a silent way.
Speaker 3: Your depictions that I've seen on, on Instagram are, they're beautiful. They're beautiful. They're, they're, they're absolutely beautiful. Um, there's a, there's a reality, there's a deep reality to the expression in, in, in, in the face. I think like when I think about that case and I don't, I've been throughout my life, I've dipped in and out of it. I've been fascinated by the idea of Hollywood and that brightness and like the underbelly. And I know that's been like, at least in our American culture, been like, really develop, but I grew up working class kid in Rhode Island. And for me, Hollywood like is the other side of the U S and actually represented like, cause I love movies so much, these kind of like unreal fantastical elements.
Speaker 2: Like it was so far away. It was bright. The, it, it did.
Speaker 3: Glitter and people were different, you know, it's a, so it had that compelling piece, but I'm also, I, drawn by the tragic and dark and, um, the black Dahlia murders and the, the, the way you look at these stories and even the way they were written about, which, um, you know, say in the clippings and stuff, uh, the way they're written about is so different and feel so different words and, and, and sensation that, and it's so long ago, um, Where, like you said, there's still this controversy around Fatty.
Speaker 2: You are buckling.
Speaker 3: You think about it's a century ago and we're thinking about video, right? And, and, and, and film, um, I'm telling you directly, I'm most excited for.
Speaker 2: The Fatty Arbuckle work.
Speaker 3: Are you talking about it at this point as far as timetable or general aspirations for that work?
Speaker 2: Because if you do, I'd love for you to indulge me.
Speaker 4: Oh, well, there is someone who wants it. I don't know if I can talk about that, but yeah, it's... It should be available at some point.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 4: I've nearly finished. I mean, it's taken... I was actually quite shocked when a few weeks back, I looked to see that I actually began this. It'll be like two years ago in November. So I've been working on it for longer than I thought that I had been, actually. Wow.
Speaker 3: What was that feeling like when that hit you, given the length of time and what was in your head?
Speaker 2: What did that feel like?
Speaker 4: Well, actually, I was like, oh, I should have done more, actually. It should be longer if I've really been working on it for this long. But the way that I draw, it's great because it looks so great. But at the same time, I work as fast as I can, but it's just not quick enough.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited. And you said somebody wants it. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Just for any, in general, any publisher, anybody thinking about the space for this. I see the, just, you know, online, I don't, you know, and I've talked to other folks who are fans of yours. I'm in the kind of like Portland, Oregon, around college. and comic book stores. So like deeply excited and, and, and fascinated base of like, even people that I know out here. And I've seen that, um, I mean, at least online through the reaction to work where it's like considering, uh, something significant. And, and, I feel blessed in the Portland, Oregon area because I've been a huge comics nerd my entire life. And I didn't know when I came out here, I was like moving to a Mecca of like multiple comic book shops, multiple like creators and zine and independent culture. So it's been a real thrill. Can I tell you one thing about my collecting Gemma of comic books?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I, for years I've had my comic books and I got enthralled by the idea of like, I'm turning 54 next month. And like, I was getting comic books since I was in diapers. So the idea is something like in a half century, an obsessive type who loves his comics for comfort, imagination, tactile enjoyment. How many have I acquired? So, I get this app where I'm taking photos of the covers and then adding a little detail of what issue I own. So I'm going issue by issue, snap by snap by snap. And I think the total amount for my estimation right now, I'm about a quarter of the way through my collection, is $ 6, 500. individual issues. And you could say, Jim, I was like, Oh, you know, I've seen some people collect some, you know, I love that as a fact or like a material piling up. I'm fascinated by my piling up because as I go through it, I can tell you that my therapist told me it was my number one form of meditation. So as I'm going step by step, touching and feeling the things that are like the worlds I've had since a little kid, like, It's all good for me. The other piece, though, Gemma, is I got two bookshelves that are filled with properly bound and collected graphic novels. So it isn't like those 6,500 issues were enough when I had a little more resources maybe over the last 10 to 15 years to indulge in manga and graphic novels. I'm like... I didn't replace one with the other. They just both compiled to such a massive degree. So as I'm talking to you, you know, and in doing this interview, I think it's kind of funny because at about midnight last night, I'm over there sitting on my recliner with my happy pile of comic books. So that was my experience.
Speaker 4: Well, I wish I owned that many. um uh alas i i don't have the funds to uh buy everything that i want to buy um but god that sounds like that's an amazing number to own that's great.
Speaker 3: If the uh shipping rates rates weren't so high and these things didn't weigh a thousand pounds i'd I don't know if people put them out by freight or ship, but maybe that sounds like a curious adventure that we could create related to the podcast. Let's see if the freight sent across the seas.
Speaker 2: Arrives.
Speaker 3: I've got to ask you one of the big conceptual questions. Gemma, it can be annoying, but I think it's a cool question.
Speaker 2: What is art?
Speaker 4: Um. Oh, it's freedom.
Speaker 3: Um....
Speaker 4: It's a search for and indulging in an identity and finding yourself. Um....
Speaker 3: Do you think the role of art has changed at all? The world feels different now. 2026, sometimes when I'm talking on the show, it's like a lot of times human beings create meaning out of the dangers that they're around. But politically and otherwise, in conversations I have with people, things feel different. And it caused me to wonder, is the role of art any different now than it's been, or is it just doing its thing like it has?
Speaker 4: I think it's more important now that people have access to the ability for self-expression and understand art being used for protest. and art art is what you know teaches you about the soul and how to have empathy and with what's happening in the world you know there's a lot more if art was a person there's a lot more on its shoulders now hmm It has a bigger job to do. And it feels like there's never been less resources in the way of, like what I was talking about, schools here do not, I mean, you know, there's been prime ministers we've had here in this country lately who just, they don't see the value in an art education. There's universities here where certain courses have just been removed and those courses are creative writing and even i was going to do a comics phd uh maybe about a year and a half back and i was there's not many universities in this country that do it and i was contacting the ones that did and um the professor of a university down south i um i gave her a kind of outline of what i was planning to do and she said oh this is great but we're gonna have to put this on the back burner because i might not have a job in a few months and this course might not be here um yeah the role of art yeah it's got a lot on its back and it's probably going to be fighting to survive.
Speaker 3: Yeah The loss of artists and creatives and seeing the attack upon the education system in general, higher ed. It's also good for somebody to tell you what's going on. I remember when I was applying for. By day, I'm a union organizer. When I was applying for programs, master's studies at the level of doing research, labor representation you know just being smart labor rep i contacted one of the programs that was in milwaukee wisconsin he was like yo ken they you know this is this is turning over to management sided hr program so don't even apply you know what i mean it's like yeah it's nice for somebody to like you know it's it's sad right like that wasn't happy news but it's like where somebody just says hey um prognosis not good it doesn't mean like you shouldn't try or figure out your way but here's what i know from where i am and uh i see a lot of that uh so um i've been fascinated by the those type of i don't know if they call them sequential art comics and and otherwise um Are there any programs that you're looking at, or is that just kind of under threat in your head?
Speaker 2: Don't go.
Speaker 4: Do you mean, am I aware of anything in this country that's kind of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you still interested in pursuit around that area? Or do you see it under such direct threat where it's like, I'm not sure about that idea?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not doing the PhD anymore just because that was, I think, part of... Whenever I get... I do have insecurities doing the comic stuff the same as I did doing the painting. Only now I kind of have the idea of, oh, I'm not good enough to do this. I can't make a living at it, rather. So I'll try teaching. And then I think to myself, no, you can't teach. The only thing I can possibly teach is teaching someone how to draw exactly like me. No, what are they gonna do with that?
Speaker 3: If you could pull that as a fan, if you could pull that off i know i know how as a fan if you can pull that off but yeah yeah that's.
Speaker 4: Then i tell myself off and say what you're doing don't ruin anyone else's life um so i do have because this country i think has a very funny thing that It's probably just me that thinks like this. But unlike America, where sequential art is like a proper art form and it's respected and taken seriously, this country, I think, in order to give legitimacy to something, they've got to put it in the world of academia and then it will legitimize it and then you can like it and study it and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Again, I think that's like a class thing and stuff. Yeah, like in order for it to be taken seriously, it needs to have like university departments behind it and things. And that's not the case at all.
Speaker 3: All right, Gemma, I got the titular question of the show, Something Rather Than Nothing podcast here. Why is there something rather than nothing?
Speaker 4: Because there's always a residue or a byproduct that branches off into different things. And with comics or sequential art, it'll branch off into different modes of storytelling or inspiration.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Gemma.
Speaker 3: What comic books you freak out on? What are your favorites?
Speaker 2: Tell me.
Speaker 3: No, tell me like, tell me somewhere like your brains dropped in and like, this is, this, this is it.
Speaker 2: This is me.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I can tell you that I've just bought Katie Scali's new book, Heaven. And I'm about halfway through that and I'm really enjoying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's the thing where, you know, I'm one of these people, I make lists of things, things I like, things I want to see, films I need to buy and stuff like that. And then I get asked what's my favourite thing. My mind just goes blank.
Speaker 3: It's one of those questions. For me, I've been doing this show for seven years. Because even I get flummoxed when somebody asks me. It's almost like an overriding curiosity that pushes my mind in.
Speaker 2: One thing I really want to make sure of.
Speaker 4: Is.
Speaker 3: that if you could let, um, let the listeners know, uh, let everybody know how to encounter your art that I, you know, like I've expressed, you know, I just, it's really moving. I, I, I just, um, just adore it. And it, it, it just, it just lights up my brain and it's, it's a great feeling.
Speaker 2: That's me.
Speaker 3: But for others who are interested, where can folks find your art and what you would like to present?
Speaker 4: I have a big cartel shop, Jay Webster Shop, and you can get issues one to four of my single-person anthology called Fondant from there. I'm doing a couple of reprints of things that I haven't had in print for a while. they should be on the website around October in time for a big comic con here called Thought Bubble that's in November.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: One's called Jade and Her Schizophrenia, which is my sister's story. She got diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in February 2013. So she wrote down what happened to her because.
Speaker 2: She went missing.
Speaker 4: She went to the Ecuadorian embassy in London to go be with Julian Assange. So she wrote that and I drew it. And another one, not that I've forgotten the name of my comic, it's about a guy who partially survived a nuclear reactor incident back in the late 90s, early 2000s.
Speaker 2: No way.
Speaker 4: And I can't.
Speaker 2: It was only a little one.
Speaker 4: It's only little A5 that I did. But that's not been in print for a while.
Speaker 2: I quite like that one.
Speaker 4: I should have printed that before. So those will be coming on the website, well, the Big Cartel shop in October. But my fondants are all on Big Cartel right now. And you can get The Scrapbook of Life and Death from any good comic shop or bookshop.
Speaker 2: Absolutely beautiful, beautiful, uh, beautiful volume.
Speaker 3: Um, I, uh, uh, there's, there's something about the core of, of, of your work. And like I was talking about in, um, in, in collecting and seeing how things are compiled and that, that really connected, uh, uh, with my experience and just like the curiosity around the bizarre and finding like, um, uh, space for that. I think you open up a lot of space for people to kind of like look and see. And, um, it really helps particular minds kind of, uh, uh, uh, see the story, see the, the, the big story that's there. So I just wanted to thank you for everything, uh, you do Gemma and, uh, and and also like i said it is truly an honor for me to have you on uh on on this show and just so you know sometimes like as an artist it's like hey what's going on who's out there i i bump into a conspicuous amount of people who know your work own your work and i know it's portland oregon but still that's a long way from where you are so just so you.
Speaker 4: Know that's great to hear and People have been so nice about some of the things I've drawn. I feel very lucky in that I've not really had, I've not had any complaints. Someone who had my work in their anthology had a complaint. So I've only had one. But I'm so glad people like the work and it makes me feel like I'm going in the right direction of things and.
Speaker 3: Yeah I got one more question that's stuck in my head and it's a little out of sequence but it's a quick one you mentioned Thought Bubble I go to the comic shops here I don't know that much about it but I get the results of it publisher publishes kind of like the best of out there so we get it out here in the US I don't know how far thereafter but So I know it's a big thing, but I don't know that much about it except by the larger comic that pops out.
Speaker 2: What's Thought Bubble?
Speaker 4: Thought Bubble is the biggest comic con in the north of England. And it's in a spa town in North Yorkshire called Harrogate. And it happens at this big conference center. And there must be... about close to a thousand tables it must be 800 to a thousand it must be and it's for uh a weekend mid november every november and prior to that there's a week of um exhibitions and activities and things in the lead up and it has um panels and talks and workshops and guests um and i i been lucky enough to have a table there again this year which is great uh it's only about an hour 20 minutes away from me so so that's really good as well um yeah it's uh yeah it's great.
Speaker 3: That's wonderful to hear uh we got in my my area with the rose city comic convention in portland in the beautiful, very large one that I went to once that I really enjoyed the Emerald city comic-con in the big, beautiful city of Seattle, Washington, about three hours North from, uh, where I am. So, um, thank you for indulging me on that. You know, I love my cons and, uh, and, uh, kind of taking a stare and it was great to hear, um, that, that you had a spot there. So, um, everybody, uh, Jay Webster sharp, um, fine on Instagram, Gemma. Um, it's, it's, it's, it's been a great pleasure. I would say that, uh, this is, a humble offering from this independent podcast in the strange state of Oregon to a hungry, hungry crowd for what you have to say and some of your thoughts about art. So again, thanks. And just really great connecting with you, uh, over there. Keep, keep, keep digging in. Cause, uh, a lot of us, uh, fans out here are really enjoying, uh, your explorations.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Thank you for having me. I'm not very fluent verbally. I don't talk to many people on a day-to-day basis. And sometimes I hear myself speak and I think, oh, no, you sound like that. And, yeah. Yeah. Thoughts in my brain don't come out the way they're supposed to sometimes. But thank you so much for being patient with me.
Speaker 3: Look, look, I'm in a position of being enthralled. And so, you know, this is how we record it. So it's a perfect episode. And everybody check out the work, whether you look at it online. But think about getting in that printed form. Check out that big cartel and Gemma. Thank you so much. And thank you for your art.
Speaker 4: Thank you. You're welcome.
Speaker 1: This is something rather than nothing.