Speaker 1: Hello everyone. My name is frieda basel and in New York City, Brooklyn based Jewsh YouTuber with an interest in all things Jewish, subcultures, religion, New York City, and human interest stories. Today we are going to talk about the National Desertion Bureau. Popular stereotypes about Jewsh husbands are usually positive. They're loyal, they're good providers, they don't drink to excess, and they are in violent. It's no wonder that most people have never heard of the National Desertion Bureau, an agency created in New York in nineteen eleven to track down runaway Jewish husbands and bring them to justice. Turns out that the era of Jewish mass migration from Eastern Europe to North America was accompanied by terrible cultural and social upheaval, poverty, and failure. One sad feature of his era was the phenomenon of broken families, which occurred on a mass scale. The problem of Jewish men abandoning their families was so severe that, along with the National Desertion Bureau, Yiddish newspapers like the Farvards, with a daily readership in the hundreds of thousands, published a popular column called the Gallery of Missing Husbands, which featured mugshots and descriptions of men who had left their wives and families in the lurch. There were even local psychics on the Lower East Side who specialized in tracking down missing husbands, addressing a true social epidemic in the Jewish community. The National Desertion Bureau worked with a multiplicity of governmental and private organizations to find these men and force them to pay alimony, child support, and serve jail time if they didn't. From nineteen oh five through the nineteen sixties, the Bureau attracted more than eighteen thousand cases. Its files are rich in details and are often short novellas onto themselves, with details on the tragedy of maritaled solution, abandoned children, and financial ruin. The Evil Archive houses approximately seventeen thousand National Assertion Bureau case files that were generated between nineteen oh five and the nineteen fifties. EVO put together an exhibition on this called Runaway Husbands Desperate Families The Story of the National Desertion Bureau, which traces the history of the National Assertion Bureau and includes never before seeing records, documents, and photographs from the organization's luminous archives. This was a project curated by Eddie Portnoy from Yevo. I've had the great pleasure of having Eddie on my program before when we discussed the Yiddish language, and today Eddie will share with us in depth story of this dark episode. Before we begin, I want to take just a moment to thank those of you who are members of this channel. Members of this channel helped make this work possible. It's very time consuming work. I published videos early for members, so I get to interact early with those of you who are in person. I thank you so very much. And now Eddie, thank you so very.
Speaker 2: Much for being here, Thanks for having me for you that it's a pleasure to be invited back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm happy you're back. It's been too long. That conversation about Yiddish. People loved it. People were absolutely fascinated by it.
Speaker 2: That's great. Yeah, yeah, I mean looks interesting.
Speaker 1: Yiddish, is it? I mean we're biased, but I think so, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess we are biased. You know, language I think is interesting as a whole, and so you know, Yiddish because it's it's something close to home. It's it's even more interesting, it's even more interesting.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about this project of the National Desertion Bureau, which is mind blowing. And did you write that the whole description I lifted off of the exhibition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I plagiarism. I wrote something, and then the woman who handles the website and social media probably worked on it. But that's yeah, I wrote. I wrote most of that.
Speaker 1: I was very interesting.
Speaker 2: It's it's a fascinating organization and the phenomenon is also interesting, and it's not something that people are terribly familiar with. I think that when people talk about, you know, the great mass migration of Jews to the United States from Eastern Europe, and this is begins, you know, before the eighteen eighty you know, when they talk about mass migration, it's from really from eighteen eighty one to nineteen twenty four, and it's a period where approximately two million Jews came to North America from Eastern Europe and that's an enormous number. The vast majority of them settled in around New York and that migration created places like the Lower East Side, which for many people was the Plymouth Rock. It was sort of the first location of residents for many Jews. And you know, I think by the nineteen twenties, there was something like half a million Jews living just on the Lower east Side. You know, this doesn't include Brooklyn, Harlem, other places in the Bronx, other places in and around New York City. And so the Lower East Side was this roiling urban ghetto that was mostly populated by Jews. And at the time, Jews made up about twenty percent of New York City's population, which is a lot.
Speaker 1: What is the percent now?
Speaker 2: The percent is lower, and I want to say it's like ten twelve percent now, which is still a lot, considering the Jew in the world are a tiny minority. But in the in the twenties, in the interwar period, between the two World Wars, this was the time when you had like a Yiddish mass media. You had five daily newspapers in Yiddish, and obviously print media is the only media. Now there's like a zillion different kinds of media and it's all very confusing. But you had Yiddish theaters, you had synagogues and steembles of all different sorts. Every block had I mean, it was just a totally different world. Is like, you know, Yeden's don't even an eingepack in ain Geg. You know, Jews were like really crammed into one little area and it created its own kind of unique culture.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: In addition to that, they were very poor. Well that's one of the funny things, ort of the odd things about this, this mass migration in Eastern Europe, they were also very poor, and to a large degree that's why they came to the United States. You know, certainly they were pushed along by the fact that they were oppressed and botally ostracized. They didn't have civil rights in many places. They had for many years that had pay special taxes on certain things, on meat and candles. Wow, what kind of you know, they treated very much as a separate minority in Eastern Europe, especially under Russian rule. And so when it became a parent that America was accepting large numbers of immigrants, the Jews took them up on that. You know, so many many came. And what's interesting about this immigration is when most people think about it, it's considered something very successful. And what that means is Jewish immigrants came here, they sent their kids to school, their kids went to college, large swaths of them became professionals, meeting doctors, dentists, lawyers, accounts, whatever, And within one to two generations Jews who had come here, who worked in sweatshops, who worked in the garment industry, who were peddlers on the street, and still very poor. That immigrant generation was very, very poor. They succeeded in launching their children to the American middle class, and so as a result, it's considered a very, very successful immigration, and I think that it's accurate to say that. But along the way there were certain things that transpire in which Jews encountered Jewish immigrants and American born Jews as well, who were born in immigrant neighborhoods, they encountered difficulties. There were crime was a big problem in neighborhoods like the Lower East Side. There were lots of Jewish gangs and gangsters and criminals. I talked about percentages. New York City was about twenty percent Jewish nineteen twenties, So as a result, sing Sing Prison was also about twenty percent Jewish at the time. So when you're successful and you make to the middle class, there are certain things you forget historically because they're embarrassing. You don't really want to know about them. It's not something you want to dwell on because it's sort of a blip and what's ultimately a really nice success story. But these these blips they interest me as a historian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're part of what happened.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, no exactly. And so you know, there's been a tendency to kind of I mean certainly, you know, there have been books written on you know, Jewish criminals and gangsters in mafia and things like that. My own personal interest is in the people who were, even like at a lower level. And so the only the only real record of those activities is the Yiddish press, which is full of all kinds of stories of Jews running into problems, whether it's crime or whether it's a broken broken marriage or broken home or business failure. The Yiddish press is the sounding board for this kind of activity historically. It's just really fascinating. And so the National Desertion Bureau is a great example of this kind of phenomenon. Just generally, it's not an unknown organization among historians. I think that for people Jews who may know a bit about history, or even a fair amount about history, may not have ever heard of it, and they may not have known that there was a problem with this immigrant generation, mostly men who were abandoning their wives and families, that it was a fairly severe social problem that affected the Jewish immigrant community. And I should also add that this affected every community. The difference is that it was treated differently, and so at the time there were lots of Irish and Italian immigrants in New York City. They had problems at a similar level, but they viewed family abandonment as a moral issue that the church had to deal with, and the National Assertion Bureau sought differently. They sought as a social issue, a social problem that could be dealt with by social workers and lawyers, administrative professionals, which is just a different way to view it. Go backward a bit the way this happened. The National Board of Jewish Charities, which was a large umbrella organization for all kinds of different Jewish charities, they noted in sort of internal documents in nineteen oh two that this issue was becoming a problem in the Jewish community. Women and children were being abandoned by men who were running off to different cities, different states, sometimes just different neighborhoods. So it was on their radar. One interesting note is that one of the ways that I found out about this was I was doing research on a particular psychic, a very well known Jewish psychic by the name of Abraham Hackman, who live on the Lower East Side. And he, I mean, he was a fortune teller and a huge amount of his business was based on his claim that he was a master at finding runaway husbands. And so there were newspapers of articles about him in the Yiddish press and even in the English press as well, because it was a fascinating human interest story. They write about how there would be women lined up outside of his stoop on Rivington Street in the morning waiting to hear where their husbands might be. And he loved getting publicity and love being written about in the papers, and so there are all these interesting articles. So there's a nineteen oh two article, I think it's like maybe could be nineteen oh three, in which a woman appears in his salon or in his office on Rivington Street and is looking for her husband, and he reads her fortune and he tells her that her husband will be at the corner of Pitt and Graham Streets at ten pm that night, and he tells her. He says, if he's not there, I will pay you fifty dollars, which like in nineteen oh two, ninety yo three, that's that's a lot of money change, that's a lot of money. So she goes to the local police station and finds a police officer and tells him this. He may have gone just out of curiosity. She explains that, you know, she's been abandoned by her husband, and she's been left destitute, and she has children that she has to take care of and she has no funding for them. And so she brings this police officer to pit in Grant at ten pm, and in fact, her husband is there like leaning against lampposts, and the police officer arrests him, and that brings him to court, and the judge says that he's got to pay a certain amount weekly in alimony or in child support rather. And it's this interesting and someone odd story that appears in the paper.
Speaker 1: What's the logical explanation?
Speaker 2: So Abraham Hawkman pulled other kind of similar stunts. There was another episode where there was a group of Jewish kids from the neighborhood had gotten arrested for burglary and they were in court being arraigned, and Hawkman walks into the courtroom and yells out, I'm paying bail for these kids. And the judge looks at me and says, who are you? And he says, I'm a clairvoyant and I know that tomorrow you will set them free. And the judge says, okay, if you want to pay bail, you could pay bail. So he pays their bail. The next day he comes back and the judge sets them free. And I don't know if he had gotten word that they didn't actually do it, Like, who knows? Yeah, okay, I see, or maybe he had you know, special town he had.
Speaker 1: Special I tend to I tend on the most suspicious side of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also I tend to be skeptical of these things as well. But but it makes for a good story.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and he's like he's a really he's a fascinating character. In addition to being a fortune teller, he owned a wedding hall. He had his own katubas printed up that he sold at the wedding hall. He also also published his own hagada called Like the Fortune Teller's Hagada. It's so funny because there are advertisements in the Hagada for people in the neighborhood. For I also think I suspected the owned owned a decent amount of real estate on his street, and so a lot of the people, the business people on his street were paying him rent and he got them to advertise in in the Hagata. There's you know, a local photographer whose ad is in there. There's also and this is actually perfect for for Pesach, there's a there's a doctor down the block from him that specializes and cures for constipation, which which like to put that right in the Hagata is what you need for this particular holiday. So it's really you know, he's a great character. He's really he's really funny. But his like I said, his specialty was finding missing husbands. And so this appears in the papers, and I know, I think that this is just a fascinating, fascinating topic. And so at the time, like I mentioned that the National Board of Jewish Charities, they discover that around that same time, few years after the turn of the twentieth century, that this is a problem with the immigrant Jewish community, And in fact, in nineteen oh five, the National Board of Jewish Charities creates an organization called I'm going to get it wrong, but it's something like a Society for the Protection of Abandoned Women and Children or Deserted Women and Children, something like that. And this was a charitable organization that women with families could go to and get funds to live on. After a few years of doing that, the National Jewish Charities realizes that it's not a good system because what's happening is that they're giving money to families whose fathers and husbands have left them, and as a result, they become dependent on the charity because the husbands, if they become aware that their families are being funded, they don't bother yeah sending them money or giving them anything in any way. So they realized that they had to take a different tack, and so it doesn't happen until about five six years later. But in the meantime it becomes such a problem that it becomes very common to see in Yiddish papers advertisements from abandoned families saying, our husband Sloimish laputnik whatever you know. I don't want to give a real name because it could be someone's name. Explain that our husband father has left us where destitute, we have no way to make a living. He is originally from such and such a place. We think he may have gone to Cleveland or Saint Louis or Los Angeles or wherever. And they want people to find them and so they could get supported in some way. They wanted support. And so what happens is is the the Yiddish Forvarts, which at the time had become the largest and most successful and important Yiddish paper. They in nineteen oh eight they start a it's not daily when it starts, but it becomes very regular, very quickly. They start a column called the Galleria funfoch Fundenmene the Gallery of Missing Men. And what they do is they put in mugshots of the men. Obviously women are setting in mugshots or they're setting in photographs the force. They're putting these like little pictures, and there's usually they usually set them up as like six people in a row, and below them are descriptions of them, what town in Europe they're from, what their jobs are, you know, where they think they went. They mentioned the families that they left. And the idea was that the public it was it was really kind of a way of crowdsourcing in which the idea was to turn these guys in, bring them to justice. They you know, they you know, they had done something terrible. They abandoned their wives and families. And the forwards starts this column. And what's interesting is it becomes very popular. It's like the page that the people first turn to because they want to see if their neighbors, friends and relatives are like in the galleria, when freshmen in the manor, if they're in this, if they're in these mugshots and so so it becomes popular and you know, Yiddish humor magazines do parodies of it. And then in nineteen eleven, the National Desertion Bureau creates the I'm Sorry in the Jewish Board of Charities. National Jewish Board of Charities creates the National Desertion Bureau and the purpose of it is to find missing husbands have gone who knows where. And it's run by two attorneys, Sounzara and Monroe Goldstein, and it's staffed by social workers. And they opened up offices on Second Avenue in the Lower East Side, and they're written about in the paper and they put an advertisement in the paper explaining what they do, and they say that women can come to them and their purpose, their mandate is to find these missing men and bring them to justice and to fund these women. But it worked is like a woman. If a woman was abandoned, she would go into the office and fill out an application. And it was sort of small, four column application and it had basic information, names, addresses, names of children, where people are from, why, why they think the man abandoned.
Speaker 1: Them, what kind of answers would they give.
Speaker 2: So this was actually a really interesting part of the exhibit. So within the exhibit itself, we had there are two large, i want to say, eighteen inch wide columns in the exhibit space, and so we took those and we from florid to ceiling, we put like thousands of reasons as to why they left. So the National Desertion Bureau was created by the National Board of Jewish Charities, which is now something called the Jewish Board, and in fact the Jewish Board which still is a Jewish charitable organization. They sponsored the exhibit and one of the things that they did was they extracted all of these reasons out of the applications just because I think they thought it was interesting and I could I have a list of them here and I could read you some of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hear some of them. That sounds so interesting, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're really there's some of them were really fat, fascinating So infidelity. One woman wrote, cannot account for desertion. Another wrote man threatened to kill her. Another man suffers from hallucinations regarding the applicant's morality. Man claims his wife is disagreeable. Man is a gentile. Man absconded when his wife learned that he was Jewish. So you have both sides of that story. Man stole money and jewelry, fear to rest, absconded money and left. Man annoying children after divorce obtained to nineteen fifteen man's polygamous nature? What does that mean? Cheating man's nature? It's a man who got married multiple times. There are also some cases where women abandoned men, although the vast majority of them are men who abandoned women. Let's see, here's one. Husband was young and irresponsible. Oh, the woman ousted him from her home. Wanted to escape military service, extreme jealousy on the husband's part, sexual incompatibility. The wife refused to keep borders. Man rakes over a woman's past. I mean, they're like there was one one of my favorites was women didn't like Baltimore. Moved to Baltimore, she didn't like it. And that's what so interesting about this particular archive and these applications is that they give you insight into the family and marital problems of common people. And as a historian, that's interesting because you don't typically get details about common people unless it's in the newspapers or you know, the cases. The cases are unique, like history is typically written about, you know, humanity's great people, most successful people, business people, doctors, artists, writers, politicians. Those are the people who make history, you know, as opposed to just your average person who works a job, as a family, lives a life, doesn't produce anything of note. And that's really the vast majority of people. Obviously, because of the Internet, everyone is visible weird. But prior to this, nobody knew from these people, and it's just such a fascinating look into their lives. Sometimes the files give you very granular detail about these stories and how they played out, and you also learn all kinds of things about these people. One fascinating side note is these files are a gold mine for people working in genialogy, anyone who's researching family history. If you have a family, if you have an ancestor that is in these files.
Speaker 1: You have a ton of information.
Speaker 2: You could really find out a lot. You could find out what they worked in. First of all, all of the standard immigration information that you can find in other places, but it's all focused here. But it's also what languages they spoke, if they went to school preter yeshiva, what towns they were from. The level of detail is really is really pretty fascinating. I could give you one example of which it's one of the stories that we that we featured in the exhibit. It was the gold Farms. It was a family by the name of Nathan and Lana gold Farm, and they lived on the Upper east Side, not in like the fancy Upper east Side. They lived in like ninety third Street East ninety third Street. Nathan was a watchmaker, which is you're not in a sweatshops, it's a slightly higher level job. And they had three chldren, all of whom were under six years old. They also had an extra room in their apartment which they rented to a border by the name of Mini Chech. There So one day Lena comes home and she catches Minnie and Nathan in the act I see, and of course no one's happy with this situation. And so what happens is Nathan and Minnie take off Nathan, they run away. And but what happens is this leaves Lena and the three children with nothing. She doesn't have a job, she can't pay rent, she can't buy groceries. You know, the kids aren't and you know what, maybe one and I don't know, one of them may have started kindergarten. But it's it's a terrible situation, and she has no way to support herself. This case takes place accidentally in nineteen twelve. So she goes to the offices of the National Desertion Bureau. She gives them a photograph and she fills out an application describing him, saying where he's from, how they met, when they got married, what languages he speaks, what jobs he's done, Who they know, because the National Assertion Bureau is it's almost like an investigations agency for immigrant Jews, like private eyes. Yeah, they initiate an investigation. They're social workers. They know the names of the man's family members who are in the country and they sent they send people out to interview family members and co workers, and they get no information. And so what they do is they take his photograph and they send it to the four Verts so it can be placed in the galleria fund Flushwood and the Mena in the gallery of Missing Missing Husbands, And so that appears. A few months later. In the meantime, Lena moves to a cheaper apartment on the Lower east Side and one of the interesting documents in the file is her business card. And her business card is in Yiddish, but it's in sort of an English Yiddish. And what she did is she rented a small apartment on the Lower east Side and opened up a kosher restaurant in the apartment. It's a non license illegal technically not supposed to do this or you're you know, it's not a real restaurant. But it's basically an unlicensed restaurant in an apartment. And she probably went around the Lower east Side giving out this card to, you know, workers in the neighborhood who could come for a kosher lunch. And it was a way for her to earn money and work and watch her children at the same time. Because if she goes to work at a factory, she's got to get a babysitter, or she's got to put her her children with another family, which is a difficult situation. So this this was really kind of a clever way for a woman to be able to watch her children and work at the same time and make a living. So in the meantime, the picture and description of Nathan Goldfarb goes up in the gallery of Missing Husbands, and a few months later the forward the Forwards gets a letter which they sent to the National Desertion Bureau that says, I have seen this man going around with a woman he claims with his wife in Los Angeles, and he works at such and such a factory, and they give the address and in the letter it says, don't tell anyone I said this. So the National Desertion Bureau has contacts in not only in every city in the country that has a Jewish community, but throughout the world. They have contacts everywhere there's a Jewish community. And so what they do is they send a letter to their contact in Los Angeles, who initiates an investigation there. But unfortunately they don't find anything. But that what they do here is a rumor that the couple went to San Francisco. So the National Desertion Bureau sends all the same information, you know, copy of the of the application and photograph to their contact in San Francisco, who happens to be a lawyer. He initiates an investigation and what he finds is that this couple is living in a fruit shop in the town of Alameda, which is a suburb of San Francisco, and they're owner in a fruit shop owned by the man whose name is Solomon Garfinkel. And the National Desertion Bureau contact San Francisco tracks these people for a number of months, and what he discovers is that the three of them are involved in a local free love commune. What Yeah, total twist, right, And it's nineteen thirteen, So it's like people are, I guess, a lot more free thinking than than you think you give them credit for.
Speaker 1: So is it like a Jewish commune.
Speaker 2: There's no detail about the commune itself. It may have been. This is not related to this at all, But a few years ago I read an article about a vegetarian nudist colony in New Jersey that was entirely Jewish and Yiddish speaking, and this was like it started in nineteen seventeen.
Speaker 3: So you know they're all kinds of you know, yeah, when there are enough people, there are gonna be weird stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, people do all kinds of things and you know.
Speaker 1: Vegetarian, Nuddhist, Yiddish speaking.
Speaker 2: Wow, right, I could say, I can send you a link. It's it's an unusual story. So what happens, So what happens, what happens with this with this couple is that Minnie Scheckter, the woman whom Nathan ran away with, and you know, they're living in this fruit sure with you know, they're living this fruit shop owned by Solomon Garfinkel. Also Solomon Garfinkel's his business card is also in the file. So there's there's all this detritus related to the case that's in the file that just enriches the story. So what happens is is that Minnie falls in love with Solomon Garfinkel, the guy who is the fruit chop, and they get married and he moves her out of the fruit shop and they move into a house in Alameda. So Nathan is furious because he's upended his whole life, left his wife and family in New York for Minnie and she leaves him for another guy. He had a coming, He totally had a coming. So so he's mad, and he finds the house they're living in and he begins to harass them, and he rasses them to a point where they move out of the house into an apartment in San Francisco, but he finds them there too, and he continues to harass them. What they do is they find the lawyer who works as the contact for the National Desertion Bureau in San Francisco, and they say to him, if you threaten to prosecute him for child abandonment, he could be convinced to go back to New York to his wife and children. And that's what they do. The lawyer, you know, sends a letter threatening to prosecute him for child abandonment, but he won't if you know, if he goes if he reconciles with his wife in New York. And in fact, he goes back to New York and reconciles with his wife. And that's the end of the file. And it's such a fascinating story. Now within those files there are all kinds of I wouldn't say that there are a lot of you know, love commune stories or free love communist stories, but you know, there are all kinds of stories where people leave for all kinds of different reasons. They wind up in all kinds of different places, whether it's like Cleveland or I don't know, Baltimore or wherever, and the National Resertion Bureau tracks these people down. And what's amazing, there's a woman who wrote a book about this, the title of which is Escaping. Her name is Anna Egra Igra, and she estimated that based out like a sample of I don't know, three or four hundred cases that she looked at, she estimated that they found the man, they found the runaway man in about seventy five percent of the cases, which is really kind of a huge number, and they're finding them. You know, there's no internet. There aren't even any phones or maybe there are sub phones by it during some period. Yeah, there are phones during some period of it. But it's all through the press, letter, all through newspapers and telegrams and postcards and letters to all kinds of different people. So there are cases and the contacts very widely. Like I mentioned that the contact in San Francisco was a lawyer. So I found cases where the National Resertions Bureau's contact was the secretary who worked at the JCC in the Saint Louis You're the Jewish Community Center, or it was like a local rabbi in Nashville, like it could have been anybody. It didn't have to be a professional. It was just someone who knew the community. And in immigrant community is when a new person arrives, people talk. They're like, oh, hey, especially if it's a smaller community. So and so showed up. Who is that. It's like someone showing up with the Stethel. It's someone new. Let's talk, you know, we need to talk about this. Where are they coming from, what's their purpose, what are they doing? And if there's a scandal behind it, it becomes an even bigger topic of conversation.
Speaker 1: What happens with let's say a story like this couple with the Free Love Commune, which it's like a soap opera, But what's really interesting is we're getting a part of the story. This woman who was so dependent on her husband, has young children, her heart is broken, she's being cheated on. She catches her husband in the act and then is left by herself, and then she built, she makes a restaurant. Right, she starts to get on her feet. We're seeing her gather the piece together. She's getting her life, guys, she's becoming a strong independent woman. And then this douchebag who trade her and harassed someone else doesn't seem like such a such a catch, is dragged back into her life, right right, and.
Speaker 2: So like, Yes, I will also admit that this totally amazes me that they that they take these guys back who are app so many of them are absolute jerks. It's somewhat astounding. I think a lot of it has to do with the nature of marriage and the place of women in society at that time. Certainly women worked, they worked in sweat shops, but a so called glass ceiling then was a lot lower, and it wasn't really glass, it was like brick. Women were absolutely limited as to what they could do. And obviously, when you have kids, even if both the men and the woman have to work, to have two incomes is important, you know, especially as the kids get older and you don't have to care for them as much. It's in a way, it's kind of tragic how women were forced to be so reliant on men. As you say, the fact that this woman, I'm sure she wasn't the first to do it, but that she, you know, came up with this idea of running a cheap apartment in the neighborhood that had the most Jews in the area and lots of workers people who needed to eat lunch, especially a kosher lunch, because not all restaurants were there weren't There were certainly kosher restaurants, but you wanted to say, and also, it's like a home cooked meal. So if she's a good cook, that's that could be better than a restaurant, and that could be really appealing to people who have are having a miserable day in a sweatshop and you know, want to take a break to eat, you know, a really hearty lunch cooked by you know, a y the shimama. So that's you know, I thought it was a really incredibly clever idea, and really and really it was something that I hadn't really considered before I saw this card. And that's what's great about these files is that they have all these little inchif gis, all these like kind of little items in them that that you know, you don't find in normal historical records, so it allows you extrapolate on historical phenomena like women in society and how do they handle a situation like this, and it's and this is sort of a great great example of that of that type of scenario.
Speaker 1: Do you ever or has anyone attempted to try to get the continuation of stories that end where the file ends?
Speaker 2: So it's the I think the only way to do that is to find the families because once the once the once the case files end, that's it.
Speaker 1: No more data, right.
Speaker 2: They don't they don't continue, there's no research, there's nothing new either the husband reconciles, he doesn't reconcile. Sometimes there are cases where there are like there are guys who constantly reappear. There are people sometimes who have who have they've married multiple times, and the same woman multiple times. And so you know, you see on the application the first time the woman comes to the office and then the second time. It could there could be like months or years in between the times that she shows up to file a new case of abandon it.
Speaker 1: What other stories can you tell? I really like the stories.
Speaker 2: There are, I mean it's there. They're like there are thousands of now and it's this was a very complete one, like this is a very complete one, and this is this is one that I that I tell a lot, and I tell it because it's a rich story. There are other stories where well, they all sort of follow a similar path. Where an leaves, usually a woman with children, She goes and files an application. They initiated an investigation. Sometimes they find the guy living in the tenement building next door. Sometimes they don't find the guy at all. You know, there was one one of the cases that we featured in the exhibit was a story of a man who abandoned his wife and never reappeared. And you even have letters in the file from the man's mother begging him to come back to his wife, and he doesn't even respond to his own mother. So there are you know, there are some cases where the guys are nice. You also have you also have files where there are like receipts for for that they're sending into the National Desertion Bureau. The men are sending the National Bark to show that they're giving their wives money, fives and children money. And sometimes there are also letters you know, I wasn't able to pay this week because I'm out of money. It's really there are thousands, thousands of files of like terribly tragic stories. Yeah, because most of these people are very poor. They can't you know, they can't support these families. And then you have these sort of lithario's who just ay marry multiple women, they do all kinds of all kinds of terrible things. And so one of the things that was also interesting about this is finding stories in the papers. I mentioned before. The newspapers become a really important component of this story because not only because they, you know, have this gallery of missing husbands that everybody reads and everyone wants to, you know, find someone in and it's often one of the ways that that that that the manner are discovered, but the papers also have some really really interesting stories about families like this. And I have a couple here if I can read them, if you think it'd be interesting. Here's a story from from the four verts from to nineteen thirteen that readis follows cigar maker Charles Weiss doesn't look like much, but he apparently knows how to treat the ladies. And you know, it's funny because the Yiddish press like often wrote about things like this, like with tongue in cheek. They write about it with like snark. They it's you know, some of the stories are written in a really kind of, you know, funny and ironic way.
Speaker 1: They probably have a huge readership that's looking to do for these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, the stories are incredible. I'll just start from the beginning again. So cigar maker Charles Weiss doesn't look like much, but he apparently knows how to treat the ladies. Arrested last week for bigamy, he denied everything, but when he showed up in court to find his three wives chatting amongst themselves, he knew he'd been caught. Wife number one, Annie Heller married wife married Weiss three years ago, but knew him by the name Martin Yambach. The couple has one child together. Wife number two, Lena Weissberger, told the court that she met Charles six months ago and it was introduced to him with his real name, but also as a widower with three children who she has been caring for. This is Weis's number three. The former Ida Krantz carried a baby that it turned out belonged to wife number two. She was married to wife Weiss just two months ago, and said that after he sold all her jewelry to fix up the house, he began disappearing. Number three became suspicious and followed Weiss to a house in West Harlem, where she discovered that he was living with Number two. When the judge asked Weiss what he had to say, all he could do was mutter, I'm guilty. Wow, so much for it up right, I know, I know, so it's it's really it's amazing. So here I'll read another one. This one's from nineteen fifteen. It says Morris Bloomberg, an elderly jew with a long beard and a regular in the Forvarts Gallery of Missing Husband's column, has left his wife again and was in court to explain why. Bloomberg was married eighteen years ago and has disappeared a number of times. The last time was seven years ago, and when he was caught, he was arrested. Although he doesn't deny running away this time, he claims it's his wife's fault and offered ten reasons as to why Number one she beats him. Number two she wouldn't let him read the Sunday paper. Number three she made him do his own laundry. Number four, she stole money from him. Number five, she broke his glasses. Number six, she wouldn't let him attend to his business. Number seven, she wouldn't do his laundry. I would say, laundry's in there twice so important. It's a big issue, a big issue, right. Number eight, she demanded the he washed the windows. Number nine, she didn't love him. Number ten her mother always stuck her nose in their business. The case is expected to go to the jury today.
Speaker 3: It's like, and all his reasons are equally No, obviously, but it's but but it's funny that this guy shows up in court with a list of reasons, thinking, oh, well.
Speaker 2: This is this is going to make my case for me. It's you know, these people they often worn't the most brilliant of folks. It's it's you know, it's just the reality of how that works.
Speaker 1: He could have he could he could have bothered to notice the duplicate on the laundry. But yeah, go ahead, what were you going to say?
Speaker 2: No? No? So so, you know, the papers are just full of stories like this, and you know, from a historian's perspective, they're just this incredibly fascinating perspective into you know, the personal lives of Jewish immigrants, and it's something you don't really get anywhere else. I mean, certainly, you know, writers and novelists have written, you know, things like this. I mean, in in the book I published a number of years ago, Bad Rabbi, I have a chapter from it's about the Warsaw Rabbinical Court. And that was also a common, commonly featured thing in the Yiddish press and Poland, the cases of the rabbinical court, and especially divorce cases. And they were so popular that there was even a stage play, a Yiddish stage play made about the based in about the about the rabbinical about the divorce cases in the rabbinical court, because they were just such rich stories of you know, they were often violent. You know, there's lots of streaming and yelling. They were very very dramatic, and so it's just another instance of how, you know, how the press figures into the into the lives of these of these people and sort of brings it to life for you know, for a different audience. Obviously, it's you know, there are the purpose of the press the time was to bring it to life for a contempt very audience. You know. For me, it's like I was saying, how about angefell in a schmald school, which is sort of untranslatable, but it's like I fell into this incredibly rich, juicy, you know, topic that is historically fascinating and dramatic and compelling and also gives insight into the lives of common people, which, like I said, is something you just don't you don't really get many other places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of like juicy and dramatic, something that I am wondering about. Maybe this is just an information bias. In stories about immigrants in the Lower east Side, there seems to be a lot of philandering. I don't know, this is probably an information bias, but I'm just wondering. A thought in my mind is if the upheaval of relocating with the family makes you question everything and causes maybe more of that kind of sexual energy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if it causes sexual energy.
Speaker 3: Thinking partnerships more like Yeah, I mean, look, yes, I think that you know, this was a massive social and cultural upheaval.
Speaker 2: You're in an entirely new place. You are also to the typical Lower east Side or New York City tenement apartment was I think three hundred square feet. The average family had six kids. And that's cramped. You know, that's that's not you know, even if you like it, that people you're there all the time. It's like you can't move, you can't turn around without someone being there. That that's a hard way to live. And so, you know, and being men, they see an opportunity and they take it, and it's and then the unfortunate aspect is that in many cases it broke up families and did damage. So it's you know, obviously, the Jewish community recognized this and as a result created the National Resertion Bureau in order to deal with it. Obviously by the and also interesting that I should also add that that they the National Ressertion Bureau was open to anyone. They didn't you know, you didn't have to be Jewish to use it. But because it was a Jewish organization funded by the Jewish community, at least up through the nineteen thirties, the vast majority of clients are Jews. By the no reason. When Jews begin to enter the middle classes in much larger numbers, that begins to change. And so from nineteen sties through and they function until the nineteen sixties. You know, you just see all kinds of different people, you know, entering into the files. You still, you know, wind up with Jews during these times, but you know, they're no longer, you know, I don't think they're they're a majority any longer, because once you're in the middle class, you know, it's no longer you know, you have the where the financial wherewithal to actually pay for a divorce. And in fact, you know, in the early twentieth century, family abandonment was often called poor divorce. You know, this is you know, getting it, hiring a lawyer, getting a divorce that costs money. And Jews have to do it twice. They they have to, you know, they have to you know, if they got married civilly, they have to get a civil divorce, and they also have to get a get you know, which also costs money. And so it's you know, they you know, by abandonment, they avoided all of this and you know, and just disappeared. But like I said, when you get to Jews becoming middle class, they they handle it, you know, in the appropriate fashion. They go to a lawyer, they get a divorce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine also that at the time let's say the early years, child support was a thing. Was it in a divorce?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was. I mean, you know, one of the outcomes of now the National Desertion Bureaus activities was the development of something called family Court where these cases often appeared. And the people and Family Court works hand in hand with the National Desertion Bureau in cases where they do where where couples do want to get divorced. If a couple wants to divorce, the National Desertion Beer will help them do it. And one of the interesting aspects of this is, you know, earlier on I mentioned the fact that you know, this problem of family abandonment was you know, it's really a problem of poverty. You know, it's a family, it's a problem of social you know of of you know, finances, and it affected Italian and Irish immigrants in the same ways that it affected Jews. But because most Italians and uh uh and Irish or Catholic, they can't get divorced, they begin church. The church handles this problem for them, but the church won't allow them to get to get divorced, so they force you know, marriages that are bad marriages to stay together because that's considered a holy union, and so to a certain degree, for Jews, they're in a much better situation because you know, according to their tradition, they are able to get divorced, you know, especially in situations where where the marriage is Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting last question. The exhibit. The EVO exhibit obviously popularized this whole fascinating saga. Was there at any point in your working on this project that you heard from someone who is a descendant from anyone in this story?
Speaker 2: No, but I had a lot of people contact me asking if they were because one of the things that EVO has as partner's archives is a card catalog that belonged to the National Desertion Bureau. So if you had a case file with the National Desertion Bureau and they needed to access your file, they had a special card catalog like in the library, where you'd like three by five cards with the basic information about the family. So people always used to ask me if I could check the card catalog to find their great grandfather to see if they were in there. And I don't really find anything, but one time there's a person in there's a person in Evo's orbit it who does a lot of EVO activities who mentioned that her I think her grandfather had abandoned their family, and we looked it up and in fact, her grandfather had a file. Wow, there are cases like this. And also what interesting is the Jewish Board put that card catalog online and so you can actually look it up online to see if you had a relative in this. And then if you, in fact you do, you note the case number on the card and you come to EVO and you order the file. And I think it takes a day to a day or two to get the actual file, but you can, you know, you can look at it. In addition, someone from the genealogical organization Jewish Gen created a database of apparently all of the men in the gallery of missing husbands. So if you suspect that you had a philandering zeti for but groizeated, you can you can go to Jewish Gen and look this up. If you find something, it's likely that the National Assertion File National Assertion Bureau ful. Wow, fascinating.
Speaker 1: Is the exhibit still up?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, sorry, the exhibit had went down about a year ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought so.
Speaker 2: I remember it was topic. You know, people still talk about a lot.
Speaker 1: How can people learn more about it or maybe learn more about your work.
Speaker 2: If they're intrigued, well they could, you know, look at Evo's website evo dot org that has all of our you know, events and exhibits and classes and you know, various other online projects as part of the website. I mean, EVO has something like twenty four million documents and artifacts that relate to mostly Ashkenazi jew and sort of Eastern European Jewish life. But it's we have a lot of other things as well. You know, we have a library of about you know, between three and four hundred thousand volumes, lots of Arabinic material, you know, the archives, and you know, the the archives they're just so rich. It's just there's so many different things, ranging from you know, the archives of Yiddish writers and artists to Jewish organizations to you know, the Vadharabonum in Vilna. I mean, it's like there's there's you know, Yiddish school systems in Poland between the wars. It's uh, it's such a great, great collection and it's open to the public, so you can just you know, come here and find some fascinating topic to work on and research and anything anything that interests you and beautiful now. Also, you know, if people want to learn more about the National Resertion beheer about, you know, how it functioned and what it did, they could look up Anti Egro's book. I want to say. It's like, oh, thank it, I'll link it.
Speaker 1: You can look it in that in the video description. Yeah, I'll just find it in a link. It great. Thank you so much, Eddie. I really really enjoyed learning from it.
Speaker 2: I hope it wasn't boring boring? How going to be boring?
Speaker 1: I go to be boring? I feel like we could we could be talking about the stories that are found. I personally, as someone who's interested in culture, have always been fascinated by ordinary people's lives. It's just something that really interests me.
Speaker 2: And of course, look, Mary, people are incredibly fascinating. You don't have to exactly be or have you know, been, you know, wildly successful in something, or a singer or a writer or whatever. People are. People are just interesting exactly. You know, you know, whoever you're sitting next to on the boss or on the subway could be, you know, someone who's got this really compelling, dramatic story, and you know obviously you don't want to pry, but I'm time worth it. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I love people watching, but sometimes the only the only way to really get to these ordinary people's stories is like historical. Yeah, piecing together what we what we can find. Well, thank you again so much. I really appreciate it. I'm going to link your book bad Rabbi and also the EVO website in the video description, and also thank you to the viewers and the podcast listener right.
Speaker 2: Thanks to thanks to any everyone who might watch this