Speaker 1: Let's not try. Let's try to avoid that. Don't waste your money on super chest. The way it's going to be structured is I'll open up the discussion. I'll give a little introduction to who I am, because this might go on other people's channels if they want to put it up. I don't really have a problem with that. So I'll say who I am and what I do briefly. I'll let Paul do that, and then I'll start with my stuff. And what we're going to do is an eight minute back and forth, so I'll let him go eight minutes. I'll go eight minutes, et cetera, et cetera, back and forth, and then we'll have a kind of a conversational style exchange and then we'll take the questions. So we don't have any set time limit, So feel free to ask super Qui supertach questions if you want to to both of us. Again, keep them civil, let's not get crazy here. And then if you want to, Paul, you can go ahead and introduce yourself to my audience and let them know what you do and whatever you're comfortable saying about your background and where they can find your materials and I'll have all those links below. Hello, right, can you hear me now?
Speaker 2: All right? Hello Ramadagma barak to all my Muslim listeners who are listening in and Solam Mooricum and this Mila Rachamanerakim in the name of God, the most gracious and most merciful. That's how we begin any action in Islam. I live in London. I attend because corner regularly. I was there earlier on today, and I'm well known to some Muslims in London for dour work. I give talks at Regent's part Mosque, which is the premier mosque in London. I think I give talks on and Christianity and so on. I haven an ordinary day job, but I was based in London, and I'm very grateful to Jay from inviting me on today to have this dialogue, this discussion about the Trinity and tao Heed. I guess or Trinity in the Bible we believe as Muslims in in the tow he the on this of God. But then that is applicit critique. I guess of other beliefs, but with doubtless come into that joined me to begin an eight minutes that's much just my intro. Ja.
Speaker 1: I just figure we'd do intros because this might go on other people's channels, and I gave people permission if they want to do that, And thank you to Lewis and others that set this up. So this was I didn't set this up. But so I do Jay's Analysis, which is a film philosophy, geopolitics, all over the place kind of analysis. I'm the author of two books on movies, Esoteric Hollywood one and two. I co created the TV show Hollywood Be Coded. My master's is in English and lit and philosophy, and I would say that my expertise is in the realm of worldviews. So I do worldview paradigm analysis, and most of my critiques, whether it's Darwinism, whether it's other religious perspectives, or whether it's rom Catholicism or whatever. I might be debating Protestants whoever atheists. My critique is usually from the philosophic perspective. But I also have many years in terms of biblical studies, so I come from an Orthodox perspective. So I'll be defending orthodox Christianity what I believe to be the true expression of Christianity. And then I will apparently, I'll go ahead and give myself the first eight minutes to start. And before I started saying I don't profess to be any expert on Islam, I did take college courses that dealt with the history of Islam and the Kuran and so forth. It's been many years since I've interacted with Islamic thinkers or apologists, maybe ten years, so I'm happy to have this kind of thing set up. It'll be interesting exchange for me. In most of the time, I've not been able to find find a Muslim apologist, so I'm glad that that Paul was willing to do it. So I'll start my timer now. And what I would say is that my first point, and I did have a chance to listen to some of your debates, Paul, I thought you had some interesting critiques, some of which I haven't heard, a lot of which I have heard. So the first starting point I would say is that I think we have a different conception of number one authority, how we know what we know, and how to approach the Biblical texts. I think from your vantage point, what I got in a lot of your debates was that you see the text as a disjunction, a disjointed series of books that Paul kind of is set against Jesus. Paul is set against the Law and the Old Testament, almost kind of a Lutheran style of reading. I'm not seeing a Lutheran but and it's the kind of analysis that we would see in a lot of higher critics. So I'm very familiar with the origins of higher criticism, with Julius Bellhausen, how it developed over time, and how it came to be the Jesus quest, a lot of the liberal scholarship, the Jesuits and so forth, it kind of got that going at the turn of the century. And I would say that this is curious because this is really a new approach to the texts. This is not a historic Islamic approach to the text. Again, not an Islamic expert, but it seems to be a kind of adopted approach that many anti Christian apologists have sort of jumped on board with. And the reason I think it's a bit dubious and maybe ad hoc and in many ways contradictory, is because there's no real way for the textual critic. And I do have some familiarity with this field there's no real way for the textual critic to know that a lot of the theories that are proposed are true or not. So it functions on the basis of a lot of presuppositions. I heard you in one of your debates. You spoke of Thomas kun and paradigms. I'm glad you mentioned that, because when I listened to your talks, I heard a lot of shifting notions of how we conceive of authority within our own paradigms. So for you, there was an attempt many times to appeal to the Bible, and you would appeal to texts that you believed or at least as I understood you to do in your approach to believe to be authentic. Like this section of what Jesus is saying in this Gospel, he's saying keep the law. Another section. Oh well, scholar XYZ has shown us that this section was made up. Now, I don't fault you for trying to do that, because as an apologist for your religion, that would be what you want to do. You want to show a contradiction in our perspective, in our paradigm. But what I do is I come at this from the perspective, a holistic view. I believe that from Genesis to the final revelation of the Apocalypse, it's a holistic text. The text shows an amazing amount of continuity. And in fact, in some of your arguments where you talked about the dietary laws or things like this, actually Orthodoxy has a unique, a unique take on this that is not like Roman Catholicism or aspects of Evensism. So I would actually agree that when Jesus says in Matthew five that we are bound to all of the jocks and tittle of the Torah. In fact, I use this argument quite often. Now, how that plays out and what that means, we don't think is arbitrarily set up by independent higher critics. But in fact, as many of your opponents in your debate said, the historic Church itself. So it's a question again back to authority. When we look at authority and we say, well, that religion teaches X, y Z, and when I take their holy books out of the context of where they reside. So for example, for us, the Bible is not a text that operates abstractly like some kind of rule book per se. That's one aspect of the text but for us, the Bible is primarily a liturgical document, so it actually arises out of what would be read in the services of the church. So you're very focused on the early Church and how it relates to Judaism. This is also a big focus of mine as well. And what's interesting is that the early Church worship, which was in the synagogue, initially birthed the Gentile Church from the synagogue, and then as the Church spread throughout the Empire, there is all the marks of what we would expect from a church that adopts a temple and synagogal liturgical service that then goes into the gentile world. And the reason I say that is that this is a big part of what I missed in a lot of your debates was the misunderstanding of the relationship between the period of the first to third centuries. So you seem to have the perspective that maybe some Baptists and Seven day Adventists have, which is that there was this massive corruption of Christianity from the time of the Apostolic era, and Paul just you know, contrasted with Jesus and up to the third century in Nicea and maybe after Nicea. You know, it turned into some other kind of thing, but in actuality myself being somebody who went down this road, reading extensively for fourteen years the church fathers in Toto, not every church father, but I have read all of the post Apostolic fathers and most of the writings of the fathers for the first three centuries, and what I find is a complete continuity, just off the top of my head. For example, if we read justin Martyr, we find him looking at the Old Testament Theophanes as examples of predictions of the logos to come the Angel of the Lord. This is a big apologetic move that he uses against Tripho the Jew. If we look at Erineus in Against Heresies, Iraneus has a whole section after he deals with the Gnostics for the first three books, and again this is one eight. He has an extensive section where he talks about the continuity between the Old and New Testament, and he refutes Marcion somebody that although I'm not saying that you're Marcianite, I did hear you were referencing Ebionites and other heretical groups that were intended to show that that was somehow authentic Christianity. I don't think that's true, because most of our luminaries of the first three centuries were consistently opposed to those figures. So you're also correct that there were there was a development of the canon. But how that the fact that there's a development of the canon would be a problem for Christianity, I'm not sure. Because any religion that has millennia of time going into it, there's going to be some kind of notion of development. Right So, for example, perhaps it's true that we do not immediately see the totality of the Trinity within the Torah, but that doesn't mean that in the notion of progressive revelation that there won't be more and more and more revealed. For example, even within Judaism, there's the conception that obviously Jeremiah understood more than Abraham did. Right, So, just because there is a section of revelation at one period in time that's built on later as profits come, it doesn't mean that necessarily that the newer revelations are necessary should be pitted against the older or the original. So our presupposition is continuity. And although I'm sure we won't have time to get into the totality of that today, I do have a three hour talk where I went through the totality of where I see continuity between the only New Testaments. And I think that when we look at Paul and Jesus, we will consistently see not discontinuity, but in fact continuity. We will see the fact that Jesus in many cases appeals to the law and he says that it is binding, but he also makes statements later that qualify how that law will be kept. It is not what goes into the mouth of a man, and not what a man eats that defiles him in Mark, but what comes out of his heart. So the fact is Jesus denying the dietary laws. No, So how do we understand this? Well? For example, in our Orthodox study Bible, the notes in Leviticus are excellent because they explain in detail that the way that the ceremonial laws are kept now are in a spiritual sense. So that's my first eight minutes, and Paul, I will let you begin your eight minutes when you're ready.
Speaker 2: Okay, can people see me by the way? Am I visible on the camera? It's invisible.
Speaker 1: Let's make sure. Hold on, let's see what the chat's a little like it takes a little bit of.
Speaker 2: Time to oh I am no, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, it's just okay, that's cool. Thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Jay.
Speaker 2: There's quite a mixed bag of items you brought out there, each of which would take a PhD thesis to discuss earlier in themselves. So I'm just gonna scattergun a bit. Is my contention that Jesus was not a Trinitarian. It's my contention that Paul did not preach the trinity. The idea of the three in one, the God being three persons in one God, is completely absent from the Jewish scriptures. It's not there in Genesis. I would argue, it's not preached by any of the prophets of God, Isaiah, jer Am, I and my card holder, or none of them actually gives any hint. In fact, the opposite is the case. They constantly emphasize the oneness of God, that he is unique, that he is one, that he is the Lord, that he is the God, the Creator, as only he that should be worshiped. We don't get any sense of a three and one at all in the Jewish scriptures. We don't even get that sense in the New Testament. Although I know Christians, of which I used to be one of. I used to be a Christian apologist, believe it or not, used to do believe that there are seeds of the Trinity in the New but actually there are some anti seeds as well. There are the many passages of the New Testament which suggests very much the opposite. I'll give you a random one here. Here's Paul talking in one Corinthians, chapter eleven. He's talking about the status of Jesus visa the God, and I remember Jesus in this past. Sorry, Paul, in this passage is talking about the ascended Jesus, Jesus who is back in glory with God. So Philippians too doesn't really apply here. It's a very brief throwaway comment almost that Paul makes. I want you to understand. This is chapter eleven, verse three. I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the husband is the head of his wife, and God is the head of Christ. This is very important because even in his glorified state, when he's returned to God, he's being exalted, that he is still not God. That Jesus has a God, and there's no hint here of a trinity, of course, and there are numerous verses in the Synoptic Gospels, and even in John amazingly that one could bring up to give a more Islamic feel. See, the more you judaize Jesus, is my argument. The more you judaize Jesus, you put him in his first century context, the more Islamic he sounds. This is the great irony here that Islam is Jesus by Judaism. But what I mean by that, the concept of God in Islam, the concept of God and Judaism is the same. We have the same concept with God. God is the one God, He is the provide of the Creator, the sustainer of all things. He alone has the right to be worshiped and invoked, and so on. There's no three and one business there are at all in the Koran or in the Jewish script as I have said. And then many pastors in the Synoptic Gospels the earliest Jesus material we have which seemed to affirm that unitarian monotheistic understanding. For example, John, chapter ten, verse seventeen, A man comes to Jesus says, good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life, and Jesus says to him, why do you call me good? There is no one good but God alone, very turning away from seldom towards God. Only God has this attribute of goodness. And here is a humble Jew if you like, deflecting this flattery of goodness and say no, no goodness belongs even just to God alone. And Jesus, someone who has betrayed as a prophet. In Luke's Gospel, for example, he is portray as a prophet of God, which of course is exactly what Islam teaches. He is not portrayed as God incarnate. And in fact, in Matthew, Mark and Luke, if you look at Matthew and Luke's nativity narratives, Jesus sorry, the Son is created in the womb of Mary. And if you look at the Greek and top scholars like Raymond Brown and Jimmy Dunn and others Joseph Fitzmyer, two of those people, by the way, Catholic priests, one of whom I heard lecture at Oxford, you'll see that there is no hint at all of the pre existence of the Sun or pre existence of Jesus at all. In the nativity narratives and the Synoptic Gospels. Obviously there's no nativity narrative in Mark. We know that only with John. The last of the gospels to be written, which has the most exalted Christology, is Jesus, the pre existent son. And scholars have almost university throughout the world, you know Oxford, Cambridge, the Ivy League universities where you are, you know, Harvard, Yale, etc. That they have almost all of them have said that if we're looking to the historical Jesus, the Jesus who walked the streets of Judeo two thousand years ago, we're looking really at the synoptic portrait of Jesus as a prophet, as a messiah, as the son of Man. And John's Gospel or They'll last be written represents are heavily theologized, a heavily colored account of Jesus, where the author believes that he is the light of the world, so he puts those words in his mouth. The author believe Jesus the resurrection of the life, so he puts those words in Jesus' mouth. We're not really dealing with the historical Jesus at all, so much with the Fourth cost well. Yet that is where the meaty Christology lies with Jesus pre existence. But even in John interestingly, in chapter seventeen, verse three, Jesus says, this is eternal life. So this is eternal life, folks, that you believe that they believe in you, the only true God, and in Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. So this is clear Jesus distinguishes himself from God here. To believe in to get eternal life is to believe that you are the only true God and to believe in Jesus. Now that is an excellent summary of the Islamic creed when it comes to Jesus to believe in one God and to believe in his Messiah. We were Jews at time, that would be the Islamic creed. Now, of course, subsequent to that, Mohammed has come, who, unlike Jesus, was sent to all the world, and now we believe in Jesus and Muhammad. So I think scholarship is very much on the understanding that the historical Jesus did not think that he was Yahweh. That this is as a later development is evolved over years and centuries, and we see that instantiated in the Council, and I see of the Council of Caws and so on. But these are not the statements of Jesus. There are reflections of men that came many, many, many generations later, who interpreted what they thought was the truth about Jesus, but they got him wrong. I think the judgment of history is that Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet, and that is pretty much the consensus now of New Testament scholars, most of him are Christians, is that historical Jesus was an apocalyptic prophet, and that sits very comfortably with the chronic understanding of Jesus as a man, as a messiah, as a prophet of God.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it, folks. Oh to you, I can't hear you. Do we have volume?
Speaker 1: Okay, there's another two minutes if you want to keep going or do you?
Speaker 2: Often enough? Over to us?
Speaker 1: All right? Well, interesting, So I heard a lot of the things that I expected to hear. I think that the first thing I would point out is exactly what I elucidated in my initial statement was kind of what came to the fore, which is a question of pre subpositions and a question of authority. So I heard a lot of appeals to authority about standard everyday scholarship. But that assumes that the scholars like Raymond Brown, who by the way, is a liberal scholar, that because he is a liberal scholar, because he's a permanent scholar, that he's going to have some somehow more of an objective basis. But as you yourself pointed out when you harkened to in one of your bits, Thomas Kuhne, you know that there's not really objectivity when it comes to these big, paradigmatic, presubpositional questions of world views. There's no possibility of being completely neutral or unbiased. So everybody, even the prevalent, the predominant liberal scholars of our day, are in fact basing their assumptions, basing the research on their presubositions. And so when you come to the text, as you and these other scholars do, with the presupposition of unbelief, then of course you're going to see discontinuity. You're going to pit one text against the other. There's going to be an arbitrary selection of which texts are authentic versions of what Jesus or Paul taught, and then arbitrarily ad hoc over here Oh, within the next few chapters, scholar XYZ has told us that that section is invalid. And so, given the fact that none of us have access to the immediate presence of those texts being written, neither do you to the origin of the Quran itself. You don't have a direct access to that. We are both in the same position of accepting texts or rejecting texts on the basis of authority and on the basis of our presuppositions. So I'm sure more of that will come later. But what I wanted to say was just notice that I did point out what he would do. I think, and I tend to to see the same type of thing. I saw, an arbitrary selection of what texts do not allow for the dimnity of Christ and other text that maybe would be added later where where this is a later and accretion. But I've not yet heard what the basis is to know when and where and how these differences are present. How do you delineate between the authentic texts and the texts that are later appropriations. Now, the first thing he mentioned was taal Heed, which I do want to talk about if he's willing to talk about that, because we have a different conception of what simplicity or unity means in God. And in fact, we didn't just invent this. We believe that we got it from the Law and the prophets themselves. For example, when Moses talks about seeing the goodness of God, the question arises the attributes. Are the actions of God identical to the unity of God? And if they are, do they then meld into the unity of God? And do we lose a sense of a real distinction in God. This has been a in religion all the way back to the ancient Vedic text. You can look at the ancient Vedas and you'll see debates about the one and the many in the relationship to God. Our view is very unique in terms of how we view God. You could look at something like the number three as an analogy. I'm not equating the trinity to the number three, but I'm using it as analogy. If I were to draw the numeral three, it is a singular aspect, it is a unit of aspect, but there's also a triplicity to that. That's very true. So our definition, our understanding of what oneness and unity means is not derived from philosophic assumptions of Hellenism or Aristotle or any other philosophic speculation as to what number numerical unity or oneness in God must mean. And in fact, in our view, we don't set up a dialectic between the one and the many. So while we do see a distinction between the creator and the creature within God, if God reveals it to be so that He is in fact both one and three, we accept it on the basis of revealed authority. And when we asked the question of well, how could it be that God is simultaneously one and also multiple at the same time without destroying his unity, it goes into the trinitarian theology that has worked out. Now you said, but that's not in the Bible. Actually, it does derive from the text of scripture, because, for example, even in the history of Judaism, we can look at the debates between no Ahmanides and Rambound himself where he talks about my monodies, where he talks about is the theophanic manifestation of God in the Old Testament? Are those Theophanes, these angels of the Lord that appear And I have just a few that came to mind before this debate there's the examples in Genesis where the Angel Law appears and he's worshiped. There's the examples of Exodus three with the burning bush, which in Exodus twenty two and three is described of being the name of God put into this angel, and he is in fact worshiped, and Moses sees the burning bush, this theophany, as we call it, in these divine manifestations, within time and space, it's worshiped. Okay, Now there are many of these. The Angel of the Lord appears to Joshua early in the Book of Joshua. The Angel of the Lord appears to Samson, to his parents, to Manoah, and Manoah and his wife worshiped the Angel of the Lord, the logos that appears. This happens many many times in the Old Testament. It happens in Daniel right, when Daniel sees into the lions den, when Daniel sees in Daniel seven the ascension of Christ, and he comes before the Ancient of days. You said that there was no notion in the Old Testament of these distinctions between these what we call persons or hypostases, which we believe share one singular divine nature, but in fact many times over, especially in Daniel seven. When the sun ascends right, he's called the Son of Man, he ascends to the Ancient of days, and he's given his throne, dominion, and power, which was the ascension. It's not the end of the world, Daniel seven very clearly shows. It's it mirrors exactly what the early the first chapter of Acts shows when Jesus ascends with a cloud of witnesses. Daniel seven says, Jesus, the Son of Man, ascended with a cloud of witnesses to the Ancient of days, the Father, and was handed dominion, power, prone, et cetera. Because he came to unite to human nature and restore it. That was the whole purpose of the resurrection. Because we fell, our very nature was damaged, the whole universe was damaged. So in our view, the purpose of the incarnation was not a death to pay off God, paying off God, God paying off himself. That's not how it works. In fact, Orthodox theology is unique in that regard, and that we do not believe that there was some divine infinite satisfaction, like Anselm says, or like Luther and Calvin thought that you that the son had to pay off the Father, the Son is eternally divine. That's why he is worshiped. Whether it's Judaism or Christianity. You can't and I'm sure you would agree, you can't worship creatures. Right. So, when as I'm glad you mentioned the what you saw as a lack of evidence of Jesus being a pre existent eternal son, Actually, if you read the Magnificat, and if you read Luke one and two, what does Elizabeth say. Elizabeth says, who am I? That the Mother of God should come to me? And that term is not a lower l it is a lord. It is a divine term. When Mary gives her magnificat, she says that the God of the universe is to be praised because the fulfillment of all the promises to David, to Abraham, he has fulfilled the promises to those fathers, those Covenant promises in me in this birth. So this promised Messiah all throughout all these Old Testament texts which you seem to believe do not have anything to do with a pre existing eternal son. It's interesting because Jesus says before Abraham was I am. Now I'd like to hear your response to that, that was my eight minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh hi Jay, that was can you get okay? My voice? A huge amount of material there, and I feel a bit overwhelmed. There's so much matter there. I do want to stress that I mentioned to quote one from Mark chapter ten, verse seventeen, where Jesus denies that he's God, which you didn't address, and also the quote from Paul in One Corinthians where he clearly presents Jesus as having a God and this is the exalted Jesus, not the human Jesus in his Philippians two state, and you didn't address that either.
Speaker 1: I think who wasn't it? I ran out of time, of course.
Speaker 2: But these need to be addressed rather than just brushed aside and rushing off Daniel's second as if Dnel seven somehow trump's the actual words alleged words of Jesus and Paul. So you talk, you emphasize again they game by the arbitrrianess of scholarship, and I think this is a great travesty. Both Raymond Professor Raymond Brown and Joseph Fitzmeyer, who were both Roman Catholic priests. They both believed in the doctrine of the Trinity as you do. They both believe Jesus rose them are dead. They both believe in the history. You can label them as liberals, which of course is what sectarian Christians do. They just dismissed them as if this has a magic wand and you know it brushes them aside. But these are seen as incredibly serious scholars and the greatest scholars of the twentieth century, and they have if you actually read their stuff, it has some immensely interesting things to say. So I'm quoting Trinitarian Christians and not unbelievers. You said there were unbelievers, and they're certainly not by my book, But that's another subject to If you want to tack fear them, as we say in Islam, that's up to you. But coming back to these passengers, the early, the earliest Jesus material we have according to responsible biblical scholarship, which is not unbelieving, it's not arbitrary, if you When I studied this at university as part of my degree, and I read the New Testament in Greek, that there were some very reasonable and sophisticated methodologies trying to understand the exegesis of the texts. And I'm interally grateful for having learned a great deal about the Bible. And that applies in the Old Testament. If you look at the earliest Gospels, which is commonly spoke thought to be Mark, actually we see a quite different portraits of Jesus, different teaching, different style, different Christology than we do, say at the very last gospel written that of John. And the consensus. And you can disagree with the consensus. I'm not saying it's infallible. The consensus is that Matthew and Luke used Mark in the writing of their own gospels. And I've looked at the evidence for this argument. I find it persuasive. At the level of Greek. You have great chunks of gospels which are identically worded in Greek, which suggests that someone is coppying from someone else, unless you believe in this kind of miraculous you know, great chunks of even incidental narratives are identically worded. So the idea is there is a literary dependency between the gospels. It's called the synoptic problem. And the solution that's most popular, although it's you know, could be wrong, is that Matthew used Mark. And what we notice then on That assumption is that statements that the way Matthew has changed Mark because Matthew makes slight alterations and editorial changes, statements that might imply a lack of ability or authority on Jesus' part are modified. For example, Matthew thirteen fifty eight with Mark six ' five references to Jesus exhibiting human emotions are simply dropped. They're simply omitted. For example, pity in Marked one forty one. Anger is omitted Mark five to three, sadness Mark three five has emitted, Indignation ten fourteen is omitted. Stories that might seem to portray Jesus as a magician are emitted. In Mark seven thirty one is omitted. Also, the disciples, who are given quite hard time in Mark they are shown to be people of little faith or no faith, actually become almost model disciples in Matthew's possible he spruces them up. It's what we call in England the dodgy dossier about the Iraq War. These documents have been sexed up quite a bit. They've been used to elevate the status of the disciples. Jesus becomes more of a grand figure. His christology is exalted. And you see that part excellence in the Fourth Gospel, where Jesus says things and does things which no other gospel has ever recorded him saying these I am statements. If Jesus went around Galilee and Judea whatever saying I am the Light of the world, I am the resurrection of the life, and so on. How Come Dluke, for example, who went, who carefully examined all these things in the beginning he claims, never recalls a single example. How Come Matthew ignores it. How Come Mark never knows anything about it? How Come nowhere else in the Acts, for example, no one ever recalled Paul whenever it calls Jesus speaking like this. So this is seen by virtue all scholars, even conservative ones like Richard Balcombe. I know how familiar you are a biblical scholarship, But in terms of new settlement scholarship, Richard Borkam's of a conservative evangelical figure professor here in Britain, says that these terms, the im statements, are put on the lips of Jesus. That's their manner of speaking. It's not my invention. Quickly moving on to the Old Testament, Daniel seven if you look at it in context, the Son of Man actually refers to Israel. It actually explicitly says that. Later on the same chapter. This is a figure of speech, how Israel goes to the Ancient of days? Ancient of days? Is God not the son of the Son of Man. It actually says in that passage the son of Man refers to the saints of the most High, quote unquote, which is Israel. So is nothing to do with Jesus at all. Lastly, at this point, nowhere in the Jewish Bible is it ever prophesied that the Messiah would die for people's sins. Now Paul in one in one Corinthians fifteen, verse three says about the gospel he has received that according to the scriptures, the son of the Messiah would die and be buried for three days, and on a third day he'd rise again. In accordance with the scriptures, I would argue that, actually, nowhere in the Jewish scriptures has ever say that the Messiah was not supposed to die for people sins. He was supposed to be triumphant over people's sins. Nowhere in the juw scriptures does it ever predict that God would become a man. Never says that that he would become God, would become the Messiah, that God would die for people's sins, that God would raise just doesn't say it anywhere. Now I'm aware of Christian attempts to twist the scriptures and read into them. Do ester Jesus rather I see Jesus as we say, see Jesus everywhere, rather than exe Jesus. Ex Jesus is. Everyone accepts the ex Jesus is a responsible way to read the Bible. Were looking for what the author is intender to mean, rather than what we like them to say. And we don't read our own theology or our own religion into the Bible. But Christians read it into the Bible all over the place, and they see Jesus where the Jews have never seen Jesus. It's important that nowhere in the Bible does that say the Messiah would die for anyone's sins and atonement for sins. This is a Christian idea. Jesus didn't preach it. Jesus said people's sins are freely forgiven. Look at Luke's Gospel, look at the Sermon on the Mount. Freely forgiveness of sins is available are simply repenting to God in Heaven and Jesus cause people to a renewal spirituary, renewed following of God in the Kingdom of God, obeying the Torah which Christians have abandoned. All the Christians I know, most Christian eat pork. Jesus said you mustn't eat pork in me. That very clear on several occasions. So what we're dealing with here, we're dealing of the religion about Jesus. Christianity is a religion about Jesus. Islam actually caused people back to the religion of Jesus, and that's a crucial distinction. Islam is a call back to people not to worship Jesus, but to follow the religion of Jesus. And there's a wonderful hadith of the prophet Mohammed. Mohammad piece upon him said once said to people, do not exaggerate in praising me, as the Christians have exaggerated in praising Jesus, son of Mary. For I am only a servant, So say he is the servant of Allah and his messenger. That's a how do you think Albakhari, So Mohammad taught us that to be very aware not to do to him what Christians have done to g Jesus. They made him into a deity. And the Colney has some very fun things to fare about one.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, all right, okay, well I'll start my section. So the first thing that I says that the reason that I didn't address those texts was not trying to avoid them, but rather I was working through my list of things I wrote down as you were talking. So about the text where Christ says that he still has a God. It may be a surprise to you, maybe I think you came from a Roman Catholic background, but in Orthodox theology, we are very insistent on the fact that the Father is the source and fountain of the Godhead, and that will always be the case, and in fact, that's consistent in the text where Jesus says that he came to do the will of the Father, and then later on when Paul writes and says that Christ is that the Father is the head of Christ, just as the man is the head of the wife. It's the same application the same principle. When Jesus says that none is good but God, and namely the Father, he also in other places refers to himself as good. He tells the woman and the well that he is the one who was to come. She says, sir, who is this Messiah that's to come? Who is this one who's going to bring this water of living waters flowing out of him? And he says, I am he. You are speaking to him. Now, you did the exact same thing that I said you would do, which was that your ultimate source of authority and appealed to. What you ultimately appealed to was the arbitrary scholars that you chose. So your rationale is not based on the internal consistency of the text, but on the presupposition of unbelief appealing to authority. So, in other words, both of us are appealing to authority. Right, you said that I was reading I was doing Ia Jesus by reading into the text what I wanted to see there. But in fact, every human being, as I just said, is going to in some way read their worldview and their presubpositions oft of the text. You confirmed that by the fact that you relied on Raymond Brown and the fact that you went to whatever school and you studied biblical scholarship. Yeah, but that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the majority of biblical scholarship in our day is unbelieving, that's not going to be an argument. That's not going to be a source by which you can prove any kind of argument you can bring that forth to to as a way to kind of have an attestation, you know, I might cite Josephus or something like this as a as a confirmation of something that I would argue, but to appeal to Raymond Brown, or to appeal to any of the numerous higher critical schools, again going all the way back to Julius Vallhausen, the founder of modern higher criticism. Isn't it interesting that the documentary hypothesis was born out of and admitted desire to destroy the texts. So you're appealing to the textual tradition of higher criticism, which was intented. Its whole intention was to destroy not the New Testament, but Moses, the Torah, the very thing that you at times think is true. So it's completely arbitrary when you say that you want to go back to reconstruct the original religion of Jesus. You don't know what that is because it's completely arbitrary. It's ad hoc. And you can appeal to any manner of unbelieving scholars all day, but all that does is show the inadequacy of your position. Because if I were to come out here and just start appealing to the top Islamic scholars and this liberal scholar, and that is Karen Armstrong or any scholar who has a liberal perspective, you would immediately say that that's probably not an authentic reading of Islam. Or if we were to appeal to the different divisions. So there's multiple fallacies at work in the arguments that you're making. Again, only Orthodoxy has the strict view that the Father is the source and fount of Godhead, who communicates that deity through the Son to the Spirit. So the triune God is not something that we invented. Again, I give you a list of Theophanes. I gave you a list of things in the Old Testament where the Angel of the Lord, which angel just means a messenger, is literally worshiped. Now again, Judaism, Christianity, we all agree that we cannot worship creatures. Theophanes are worshiped, and they're not identical to the Father. As Exodus three and twenty two twenty three makes clear with the Angel of the Lord God says I will put my name Yahweh into that angel. Right, he has that full divine authority, and he goes before in the fire and the cloud in the Exodus to cleanse the Promised Land. So guess what it was, Jesus the logos that cleansed the Promised Land. Because all throughout the New Testament it's made consistently and abundantly clear. Now you can pick out certain texts where you think that, well, it's not Jesus there, because Jesus says that he submits to the Father. That's just assuming that the Trinity isn't true. So I could appeal to all kinds of texts and find all kinds of things that, if I don't have a holistic perspective of the Bible, I think might grant me or give me a justification. But this has already been subtled and dealt with. I mean, all you're giving is kind of classical Aryan arguments that Saint Athanasius, Saint Basil others dealt with extensively. Obviously, I can't go into all that in eight minutes. But when we say that there's one good, He is God. That doesn't mean that doesn't exclude the possibility they're also being a multiplicity in God. Because guess what, Although you may think that you have a perfectly unitive view of God, you actually don't because the same problems that occur in what you perceive us to have in terms of multiplicity, you have those same problems. I know you think you don't, But in fact, if you believe that the actions of God in creating the world are identical to the unity or the essence of God, or God's nature, whatever you want to call it, whatever terms you guys use, then you have to also affirm that that action is just as eternal as the essence. It's synonymous as the divine essence. And this is what Saint Athanasius refuted the Arians on the basis of He says that when you guys identify God's will with the divine essence, which is exactly what you do in your theology, because you don't have any distinctions in God, because you have the priests position, that distinction must be in composition or division, and it must therefore mean a denial of the true unity of God. Okay, well, let's go down that road. If there is no allowance for any sense of multiplicity in the divine, then not only does the act of creation become an eternal action, and creation that becomes just as eternal as God. You have pantheism. You could also flip it on the other side and say, well, then God will to create out of his essence, and he has no relationship to the created order because he's nothing like the created order. But you see the very thing that we say about the incarnation when it comes to Jesus and how he can become incarnate and speak to us and move and operate in this world in the sense of being the second person that God had taken on impersonal human nature. You have that same problem with relating this perfectly unified deity to the created here and now you see, how does the Quran perfectly exemplify this eternal, abstract beyond deity that does not in any way have created forms, likenesses, or analogies. How does he do that? How does how can there be a Quran that really tells us truths about God if you do not allow for any distinctions or any conceptual analogies, Because guess what conceptual analogies or written analogies are no different than iconographic depictions. So it doesn't matter whether it's an icon on a wall that says the name Allah, or whether it's a book that says the name Allah and the supposed words of Allah, or whether in our view, it's an iconographic representation of Christ, an icon of Christ, or whether it's Christ and his human nature walking around and talking. All of these are the exact same issue, and you haven't actually escaped escaped this issue by simply saying that, well, God is perfectly unitive in a radical way, and you guys are heretics because you have the notion of multiplicitis in the godhead. I would just again emphasize if God is absolutely identical to all, to his essence in every way, in every sense, then creation is an eternal action, and you actually be believe creation is eternal.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jay, thank you for all that. There's a great deal there. I doubt I can't in eight minutes response possibly responded in adequate detail to many of these issues. Patty might be helpful just to say what the Kranz says about God in a very famous throughout eclus Iclus, which is the one hundred and twelfth sah. It's very brief, and I'm reading from Mohammad Asseid's translation. In the Name of God, the most Gracious, the dispenser of grace, say this is talk addressing Mohammad. Say, he is the one God, God, the eternal, the uncaused cause of all that exists. He begets not and neither is he begotten, and there is nothing that could be compared with him. Now this is extraordinarily condensed, concise express of a theology. Here he's eternal, he's the uncaused cause of all that exists. In other words, to use our language as in philosophers, he possesses a saiety. He doesn't forget, nor that is, he begotness like an animal that gives birth to offspring. And there's nothing that can be compared with him. He is unique, he's unlike his creation. This is the Islamic conception of God. And I don't need to stress how different that is to some aspects of Christian theology. This cannot describe Jesus. The Jesus we see in the Gospels is not eternal. He dies on the cross, so he's not immortal. Even though Paul says in one Timothy six, that God is immortal, he dies, Jesus, there's nothing could be compared with him, or obviously there is. He's a human being, but he doesn't exhibit divine attributes. For example, he doesn't know things. In Matthew thirteen thirty two about the date of the end, it says that neither the Sun nor the angels, but only the Father knows the date of the end. So the son doesn't know. Even the Holy Spirit doesn't get a look in on that. Only God the Father knows, So he doesn't know things. He dies, he's not almighty, he gets tired, and so on. So you get this kind of incoherent understanding of incarnation. On the one hand, he is all powerful, he's got On the other hand, he's weak. On the one hand, he is all knowing, omniscient. On the other hand, he doesn't know stuff. On the one hand is immortal and the other you get You get these all in the one person. It's not two persons, only one person of Jesus. And that this is incoherent. Does he die or doesn't he? Well, yes and no. Does he know stuff or not? Well, yes and no. It doesn't make any coherence. The coherence of Jesus as a being is there inherent incoherences. It's contradictory, it makes no sense, both philosophically and logically. But also the earl, the earliest Church, the Paths of Jesus, didn't believe Jesus was God at all. And in fact, if you look at the Book of Acts and you look at Peter's very first sermon, remember this is after the coming of the Holy Spirit, after the ascension of Jesus. So here now we have Paul understanding who Jesus is, and he says in verse twenty two to the Israelites, you, that Israelites, listen to what I have to say to you. Jesus of Nazareth was a man attested to you by God, with deeds of power, wonders and signs that God did through him among you, as you yourselves know. So he wasn't God. He was a man attested by God. Peter's not preaching in the incarnation. He's not preaching the trinities, not preaching the divinity of Jesus. And at the very end of this sermon, according to Acts in verse thirty six, therefore Peter sammarizes, let the entire house of Israel know with certainty that God has made him both Lord and Messiah. So Jesus wasn't Lord, he wasn't the Messiah. God, who is a separate being from Jesus, made him so. And this is the this is the beginning of acts. And I mentioned and Paul saying that Jesus has a God them a number of other passages in Paul that say the same thing. They clearly beginning of most of pause letters. By the way, he talks about the God and Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ. So Jesus has a God. That that's this standard interaction. He's always telling you, don't believe in the trinity, don't believe in Of course he's not anachronistically, he doesn't believe you haven't heard of it a trinity. But I come back to this point. It's important to me that if you look at the earliest Jewish tradition in Matthew, Mark and Luke, and what Jesus actually says and done, he's not preaching himself. He's not going around saying, hey, believe in me, I'm God. He's actually preaching about the Kingdom of God. He's preaching about God and his kingdom, which is a special way connected to his own ministry. But he's not proclaiming himself as divine. He's portrayed as someone who prays to God, who says on the cross according to Mark and Matthew, my God, my God, why have you abandoned me? So he feels abandoned by God according to the Early Gospels, which is a bit peculiar if your God. He's portrayed as someone who dies, which is a bit peculiar, impossible if this person is God. But look what happens in the religions that will call themselves Christians today. They proclaim Jesus the proclaimer has become the proclaimed, the one who preached God is become the one himself who is identified as God. And this fundamental inversion is what Islam has come in part to rectify and to reform and calling Christians back to the worship of the One True God. And even in John's Gospel, which has this fictionalized account according to virtually all scholars. And don't throw the liberal thing at me. Conservative scholars say the same thing, and I can reference their work. So I'm afraid you have no way to escape unless you go to fundamentalist seminaries in the Deep South or something in the major institutions of learning. This is pretty much the standard view that John as a theologized, fictionalized account. But even there, Jesus says to Mary Magdalen, do not touch me, for I am returning to your father and my father, to your God and my God. Jesus, even in his resurrected state, freely confesses that he has a God which he shares with his disciples, my God and your God, your Father and my Father. He does not say, ah, now you understand the Trinity, and I am God as well, and I am divine. No, no, no, He says that he has a God. In Islam, there is only one God, and he doesn't consist of three of three persons. Coming back to the Old Testament, I do challenge you, Jay, to show me a single passage anywhere in the Jewish scriptures that clearly states the trinity. You see, if God was trinity all along, and he was communicating the truth about God as he was in great detail through the prophets. Say in Isaiah, the whole chapter four chapters forty three sixty six, huge monotheistic discourse about the nature of God. Not once, not once, does Isah give any hint of this three and one deity. There's no three and one deity in Isaiah would if God wanted to communicate with his beloved treasured people, he would surely tell them the truth about who he was. He could have done so he did in Christian theology apparently, but he didn't. No way in the Jewish scriptures is there are three and one God ever mentioned. All you can do is points are very obscure. Passengers, passages and Genesis, and you talk about the Angel of the Lord, we talk about God. This is true. This is a feature of these texts where the Angel of the Lord oscillates between on the one hand, being known as the Angel Lord, then he oscillates to being identified with God. And this is a peculiar feature. But Jesus is not an angel. Nowhere does Christians jaw as I think believe Jehovah's witnesses believe Jesus was archangel Megan. But talking about Orthodotes, Christians and Catholics and Evangelicals, no where do they believe Jesus was an angel. And this feature of oscillation between Angel of God and identified with God is peculiar, but it doesn't tell us about a trinity. It doesn't say Father, son, and Holy Spirit. That's what I'm looking for. Rather than these very ambiguous passages. If you look at the very clear passages about who God is, his nature, who he is relation to humankind. Look to Isaiah chapter forty onwards, look to the other Great monarchy. Nowhere is there any hint of a trinity, And in fact it's not there. In the New Testament. Peter says that Jesus was just a man accredited by God, and Paul says, at the beginning of nearly all of his letters, in the name of you know God, the Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the God and Father God of Jesus. So he is not saying he is God either. This is a later doctrine Christian. The earliest Jews were not Christians. The earliest follows of Jesus, I should say, were not Christians. This is an important historical point to make. They were Jews. They were Jews who were following the Jewish clan, who believed from the bed anyway, end of Okay, would you mind it if I've just got some more water, because I've run out.
Speaker 1: I'll remind the chat too that we will be taking questions. If you guys want to send in some super chats when we finish our exchanges, you're welcome to do that. I'm not going to be interacting with the questions in the chats, so I'm kind of loosely moderating here. So again, let's keep our discourse as civil as possible while he takes a break. And yeah, I want to remind everybody again if you do want your question, but now that.
Speaker 2: Just needs some mouths trawing up. What do you want to do? Continue or break or what?
Speaker 1: Let me continue here? I'll take my turn, okay, Right, So let's look at the first presupposition that's a false presubposition, which is that if you can't show me Abraham predicting the rise of Moses, then there's absolutely no way or basis to believe in the fact that we should accept Moses if we followed Abraham. I'm saying, let's say we were existing back then the time of Abraham, right, or or theoretically we could do this assumed thing like if it's true that there's progressive revelation, then I already addressed this in the open statement already said that Jeremiah understood more than what was understood in the early text of scripture. It's not obscure passages. It's your assumption that a texts obscure because it's maybe something you had not thought of I already. I mean, these are multiple texts in Exodus, the burning bush and this being worshiped right, and then later it's identified in Exodus twenty two the burning bush. Excuse me, extra twenty three, Extra three and extra twenty three. It identifies the angel of the Lord as what's in the burning bush. That's not a flippant obscure thing. That's a very powerful attestation to the fact that those theophanes are not created angelic forms. They are a separate hypostasis, right, a difference from the Father, my Lord said, the Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool. As Jesus said, who was David talking about? Who was David talking to? Jesus said this to the people that like you who don't believe that Jesus was saying that he was divine and he was the Messiah. In fact, Jesus says this countless times to the Pharisees. You're making the exact same arguments that the Pharisees made. And it's funny because Jesus says the exact same things that he would say to you. He says, who is David talking about? Now, guess what Jews believe. That's a Messianic passage. They've always said it was a Messianic passage. You say that, where do we see this prediction of Jesus and this suffering dying savior in all of the psalms where David says he's suffering and he's dying and he knows that God's going to redeem him. All of those psalms are predictions of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. In Hoseiah sixth there is the statement that on the third day he will revive us, he will save us from our sins. Now, I know you're going to say, that's just talking about Israel, the son of Man who as sins before the ancient of days. That's just talking about Israel. And what was your source for that? Your source was the arbitrary ad hoc scholars that don't believe what we believe. By the way, Raymond does not believe in the Trinity like we believe. Orthodox trinitarianism is not like evangelicalism. It's distinct. There's no religion in the world that has the Orthodox conception of who God is and what his the distinction between his actions and his essence are. I gave you a whole, simple explanation and question about the distinction between God's energies and his actions and creation. You completely ignored it. You completely ignored the question. If God's actions are the same as his essence, then his action of creating the world is eternal just like his essence. That means creation is eternal. That means creation takes on a divine attribute. You didn't answer this. You just moved on and all you did was state what the Surahs say the divine essence was. I already said that's what the divine essence was. I agree, I stated that in your view, you're going to say this. You did exactly what I said you would do. Now again, just appealing to Raymond Brown. Appealing to those people, Well, that's appeals to authority. That's a fallacy. Your whole position is based on dialectics. That's what stands out to me. For example, you look at a lot of texts that show the humanity of Christ. Are you not aware that we believe that Jesus had a fully human nature. This is what the incarnation is in order for us to be restored and save from the power of death and corruption. We believe that the Son of God intentionally took on our nature in order that our nature might be restored to immorality, to the immortality that God always intended us to have before the fall. So, for example, in John seventeen, when John talks about the glory that he shared with the Father before the foundation of the world. Oh wait, I thought Jesus doesn't have a pre existence. One John seventeen, he says that the glory that he shared before the foundation of the world with the Father is what he intends to communicate to his followers to church. And as you read through the High Priestly Prayer of John seventeen, you'll notice that he also consistently refers to the premiscy of the monarchia or the archae, the god Head of the Father, and the Spirit whose he's whom he's going to sin. Right as it moves into the later chapters through that I priestly prayer. So all through John seventeen eighteen and so forth you see the trinity everywhere present. Now you say, where is this clear explication of the Trinity. I just told you that there's an idea of a multiplicity in relationship to God in the Old Testament from the beginning, from Genesis. Rabbis were debating this before the coming of Christ. They were debating the fact that there's a multiplicity in the God at how do we explain and understand this? So you're actually wrong to say that there is a strict unitive view even in Judaism. Philo is an example of this. Philoh didn't understand. He couldn't conceive of this right. And again there's a progressive revelation. You cited the supposed disjunction between what the early Church and followers of Jesus believed about Jesus, even though there are countless examples. For example, again throughout the Gospel of John, and the Gospel of John is not the only one. There are multiple situations where Jesus says that He's fulfillment of all of these things. He says, Moses, what about me? You search the scriptures because you think that is in that you have eternal life when it is Moses that wrote about me. Everything that Moses is writing is about me. And one thing I've noticed in your debate that you have not seemed to grasp is that there's a progression not just through revelation, and not just to what Jesus came to teach, but to the whole New Testament period, this transition period that it's sometimes called in theology, from the birth of Christ all the way up to the destruction of the Temple in seventy eight. You seem to be completely unaware of this. The destruction of the temple is the end of the Mosaic administration in terms of its ceremonial application. Jesus himself, Jeremiah, the prophets Amous, they make the distinction between the moral and the ceremonial commands. Okay, and if the gentiles are going to be included into the church, which is what the predictions of countless Old Testament prophecies are. Jeremiah three, Hoseaiah one, ten and eleven, Malachi one, eleven and twelve, he back A two, fourteen and fifteen, Jeremiah three, fourteen to eighteen, Ezekiel forty seven twenty one to twenty three, Joel three and Acts two fulfilled in Acts two Isaiah eleven one through ten, Jeremiah twenty five, eighteen sixteen, nineteen through twenty, Jeremiah thirty eight, thirty one to thirty four, Micah four one through four, Zechariah two fifteen, Zechariah eight twenty one to twenty three, the latter sections in chapters of Isaiah. As you mentioned, they're all believed in Judaism to be Messianic prophecies. And what do they describe when the Messiah comes? They'd say that the distinctive mark that the world will know when the Messiah comes is that the gentile nations will begin to worship and honor the God of Israel. Now, when Jesus came, he says in the gospels, even in the Gospels that you don't accept, but even in the synoptic Gospels Matth in Luke twenty one. In Matthew twenty four, he says that when you see Jerusalem destroyed, then you will know that the kingdom is going to the Gentiles. He says in Luke twenty that's exactly what happened in seventy a d In seventy eight, just as Josephus described as an eyewitness, the temple was destroyed, Christians fled. Christianity spread to the Roman Empire. It spread throughout the Empire, and the in gathering of all of these Messianic prophecies from the minor and major profits all the way back to Genesis to Abraham Justis twelve fifteen seventeen, that all the nations of the earth will be drawn into this kingdom that completely destroys your entire position and proves that he was the Messiah.
Speaker 2: Jake, can I can you just give me one minute please? I need to have a quick comfort break. Yeah, it's all right, Yeah, Yeah, that's fine, Yes, all right.
Speaker 1: So we've got some good questions here. We're going to get to those here in a minute. I was getting I felt like a preacher there. I was starting to feel like krefflow Dollar, like a street preacher, like not kreplow Dollar. I'm joking, but I was getting animated there. I'll tell you what, eight minutes. I didn't really think about what kind of time frame I would set up, you know, when we agreed to do this. Eight minutes is man, I'll tell you what that flies by, So I like, I write all these notes down and you know, the eight minutes just like it's over. So if if you are listening to this and you want to go back, I would I would say listen to this again, because we're both kind of having to fly quickly through addressing a whole lot of topics, and I'm trying to go as fast as i can into to reach his points. So you know, I would I would suggest for people listening, you know, you might want to re listen to our debate here because we are covering a lot of topics. It almost feels like a rapid fire. So are you would you like to go yes? Thank you for that. Jay.
Speaker 2: I think it's been a misunderstanding about one thing we Muslims. As we as Muslims, believe that Jesus. So I have no problem whatsoever with prophecies of the Messiah, and that's not my issue here about my authority. By the way, my authority is God and his word, his speech in the Koran, and the prophet Mohammad. So I just want to clear up where my pre oppositions are. Shouldn't be surprising. I don't presuppose the Bible. We have today is the word of God, that Islam. The Koran says it's been corrupted and changed. The only uncorrupted, only unchanged revelation we have that still exists is the Koran. So that's my authority. And if I contract anything in the Koran, then i'm what I'm. What I say is to be disregarded. Just to try, I have made some notes, which I should have done earlier, but just to remind me of some thing. As you said, I reject this idea progressive revelation. I don't think there's anything in the Jewish scriptures suggesting that God's gone to disclose that he's no longer one God, but he now can become three in one God. Or I don't buy this progressive I think that's a device that's been invented by Christians to account for the discontinuity, the radical discontinuity between their beliefs as we see in the New Testament and elsewhere and the Jewish scriptures. So I think that's a device to, oh, well, you weren't told really about the truth about God until that the accounts of Nicea came along, and then we realized that Jesus was God. I don't buy that. In terms of worship, I'm just a scattergan approach here, because you mentioned these things in a fairly kind of arbitrary way. It seemed worship is a tricky term. In the Bible, it had a much broader application than it does today, where worship is normally understood to be exclusively reserved for God. Then even in the Greek of the New Testament Pross and Nusikos, it meant obedience. You do abeyance to someone, and you could do it to rulers. People did it to Jesus, Sarah did it to Abraham. In the separagains of the Old Testament, this is not something that's reserved for God alone. And indeed the word God itself is reserved for human beings in the Old Testament, like Psalm forty five and Isaiah nine and so on. And in Jewish literature you mentioned Philo, Actually he calls Moses God. You're probably nervous already. So this language of divinity is quite promiscuously used, both in the Bible and in other literature. And we have that in common with the great co Roman world, where they believed in divinities and intermediaries between the One High God and human beings. So I'm not surprised that Jesus came to be called divine. Ultimately is very much the thing you did in the ancient world to hero figures of religious figures. You proclaim them to be divine that haven't all over the place coming back. And you also made about Psalm one hundred and ten, which is as you say, are very frequently cited Psalm and frequently misunderstood sum by Christians. I'm looking at the new revised standard version, which is the version the academics prefer to use. That's probably a black mark against them. But anyway, it says he the Lord says to my Lord, sit at my right hand until I make a footstool of your enemies. The word the first instance of the word lawd though, is in capital letters, suggesting what it means the petrogrammaton as you know, the Yahweh. The second lord in that center is in lower case letters, meaning a lord in a broader sense. So that could be Master, it could be teacher, it could be Messiah, it could be any human being. So to reinterpret this passage in its Hebrew context, these are Hebrew words. It says God says to his Messiah. It's not saying God is not talking about plurality within god Head. And I know Christians interpret it that way, but the original it is an assurance of victory for God's priest king. That's the original context. The Psalm of David has nothing to do with the prophecy of the fire. Is God talking to David? Actually you made the claim. Well, come back to that claim you made. I just want to read you something here. But Paul said, which comes to another the problem for me. I've read this before. Psalm fifteen, verse three and four. It says I had it on to you as a first importance what I received that Christ died for our sins and accordance with the scriptures, and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures. And then it goes on it's that bit there which constantly refacing the scriptures. And you made the astonishing claim to me that all of this palems contain the prediction of the death and resurrection of Jesus. Actually, none of the psalms at all claim any of that. But that is called ester Jesus or icee Jesus where you read stuff in if you read all the psalms in the historical or literary context, the psalms that you think refer to Jesus refer to David, refer to people at the live at the time, none of them. And there's no way in the Old Testament anywhere that says that Christ would die for our sins. Know ways does it say that he'd be buried? No ways does it say he was raised on the third day anywhere. And this is acknowledged by scholars, by Christian scholars. I know you don't like them, but anyway, this is acknowledged by your own scholars, so that this is a bizarre claim to make. I come back to my awesome other state where I said that the Nativity narratives, which talk about the actual birth of Jesus and the pregnancy of Mary and so on, I, Matthew, and Luke do not have any intimation at all of an incarnation. These are precisely the passages where you would expect a Christian theologian or Christian writer if they believed that, to actually refer to the incarnation. There's no reference to the incarnation in the Gospel of Luke in the Nativity narratives or anywhere else. No reference of Matthew. And of course it's not mentioned in Mark because he doesn't heaven Nativity in narrative. So why do we say this Because it shows that the idea of the incarnation, it doesn't exist out of three in the four Gospels, even though they would have mentioned it in the context of his birth. John mentioned it is the very last one to be written, and it has this kind of cosmic Christ who comes to earth like a visitive amount of space. It spends a brief time amongst us, and then that goes back to Heaven again, very different from Mark, very different from Luke. It's a very different kind of feel, which is why you have to choose Historically, scholars have to choose which is more likely to be the historical Jesus, and they're all chosen the earlier gospels, not John for the basis of their theology. So and what was the other incarnation? So the incarnation is not taught in Matthew, Mark and Luke. I do come back to this passage in Acts because it's not just that you told me in response to Peter's sermon in Acts, but we believe Jesus is God, man and God. Yeah, but Peter doesn't. Peter doesn't say that. And if he was God, surely that would be something he would mention you that it Israelites, listen to what I have to say about Jesus. He was a man tested to you by God with these are power, ones and signs that God did through him among you as you yourself. Now, if Jesus being God was that important, which is absolutely central, he would have mentioned it. He had no belief that Jesus was God. He never mentions that. He he says he was a man that tested by God. And then the end he talks about God doing much Jesus, that God made him a clier. But Jesus was God. He wouldn't talk like that. He would say, oh, well, you know the second person of Trinity. And and also you slightly misrepresent Orthodox theology if I may be so bold as to say, Orthodox theology does teach that Jesus is God if you accept the counsel of Nicea. And I'm aware of the philiquay course, but that's not relevant here. The counsel of Nicia clearly says that Jesus God from God light from Light the Counts of Chelsenden is very clear that Jesus is God, and yet Peter doesn't attest to this belief. Neither does Paul, who says that Jesus has a God, and Jesus himself says that I have a God. I am returned to your Father and my father, your God and my God. Now, there are a few marginal and late statements in the New Testament which do say Jesus God. I don't doubt that Jesus is called God. I'm not like some of those Muslims or probably all the Muslims I know actually who say, oh, I doesn't say Jesus God anywhere in the Bible. Of course it does, but they are obscure and marginal and late, like Titus and so on. That they're not in the earliest Jesus material. They're not the dominant theme of the New Testament, which is Jesus is the Messiah. Right anyway, Can we change the form now, because conversational thing.
Speaker 1: Or nat I want to give my eight minute response and then we can change the format. Is that? Okay?
Speaker 2: Go ahead?
Speaker 1: All right? So again I think you are restating the position and not understanding the different critiques that I've given at what you're saying. So the fact that you, on the one hand, will cite a section of what Peter says and you'll say this is what Peter taught, then you turn around and say in other areas, it's teaching that Christ is God. You have a completely arbitrary picking and choosing of which text you're going to accept and to pit them against the other texts, when you know full well, having been previously Christian, that that's not what we teach. We don't teach that because one tax talks about the the manhood, that Jesus assumed that therefore or it proves that he's only man. This is a really simplistic and dodgy way to do exegesis, which you know better. You know that Christianity doesn't operate that way. And I guarantee you that we could take the Quran and we could find one passage that says something about a law that he did X, Y Z, and then we could absoluteize that and say that therefore he does nothing else. But you operate dialectically because you've bought into dialectics. Higher criticism is based on Marcianism, gnosticism dialectics. Ultimately, it's based on the assumption that Welhausen had that the Old Testament God could not be the same God in the New Testament. That was a presupposition that he had that he never questioned. You have similar presubositions. In fact, you contradicted yourself outright. You said that you have no problem with all of those prophecies being prophecies of the Messiah. And then you turn around and said, but wait a minute, when David is writing in the Psalms, it's only about David. Did you believe that those prophecies and those texts are about the Messiah? They don't deny they were talking about Dad. Of course they're talking about David. We know David wrote those songs. That doesn't exclude that they're not Messianic prophecies or types. And in every debate where people have talked about typology to you, you ignore it. You said, you act like there's no such thing as typology, that that typology doesn't show or predict anything. In fact, have many many essays on typology. Where we see in the Book of Numbers, we see Moses lifting up the serpent on a pole. What does Jesus say to Nicodemus, Jesus says that I will be lifted up and raised up just like the serpent on the pole. But you say that Jesus never said he was going to do this. Over and over and over and over throughout this discussion, I give you example after example after example, and you go to your notes and cite liberal scholars and say that that doesn't exist. And you say that, well, you can go to some fundamentalist seminary. Look, those are dumb arguments. I can make all of those same arguments about you and your text. I don't do that, right, did I say that? I say, let me find a liberal scholar who doubts the original authenticity of what Mohammad said or the Koran or these hadiths. And you know full well that they do. And there are people who doubt this and do higher critical approaches to Islam. So just citing higher critics about Christianity, this is a really and this is extremely weak argument, and it presupposes unbelief. Now, in our worldview, in our paradigm, you can't just come to the text and presuppose unbelief because you have to repent and you have to experience the text within the context of the Church and the liturgy. They don't operate as texts on their own. They can only be understood within the existential experience of the Church herself historically. And you can call that fundamentalism if you want to. But guess what, that's a term that was invented to demonize people who actually just believe in our creed. I already pointed out earlier. You can look at the epistles of Ignatius, you can look at Justin Martyr, you can look at Irenaeus, you can look at Cyprian, you can look at polycarp you can look at all these Apostolic fathers, and they teach the deity of Christ, the very thing that you say is later kind of absoluteized at Nicea, they absolutely teach this. I mean, I've read them all, and anybody who reads them.
Speaker 2: I can give you the only person.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no no, I have four minutes left. I never interrupted you.
Speaker 2: But you're saying, you're saying I have four minutes left.
Speaker 1: I didn't interrupt you. You can you keep talking.
Speaker 2: I've read these people too. Don't don't think you've got any.
Speaker 1: I know that's the It's not you don't get to the jact that you read.
Speaker 2: These people, I studied these at university?
Speaker 1: Who I studied at university?
Speaker 2: Well, fine, but we'll equal footing.
Speaker 1: Again. Okay, I'm gonna give This is what you do. This is what you do to the other people. You you interrupt in the middle of their talk. Uh, you agreed to let me have my four minutes, so.
Speaker 2: You can have another six minutes. I don't mind. I'm not precious about this. You have another six minutes, doesn't bother me.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you will find in the Apostolic Canons, Okay, you will find in the Shepherd of Hermis, you will find in the didti Key, you will find in polycarp You will find in the epistles of Ignacious of Antioch that, for example, in the Letters to the Ephesians and Letters to Romans Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is called our God. In a letter to the Smyrneans, chapter ten, He's called our God. Okay, this is pretty consistent. I think in Ignacious epistles is something like sixteen times Jesus is explicitly referred to as God. If you read the writings of just Saint Justin Martyr you'll notice that he describes the oblation of the liturgy. It's a liturgical service. This is one fifty a D. So the things that you think are these later accretions invented later, No, are. They're proofs of the continuity of Orthodox Christianity. Back to Saint Justin Martyr, back to Ignatius, back to Ireineus. Now I want to move on to some of the things that you mentioned that I didn't get to. You said that the Son of God is created. We believe that the Son of God is created in its humanity. So again, don't set up a dialectic between texts that we believe are talking about the full humanity that Christ possessed, but we don't exclude the other texts to talk about the full divinity of Christ. We doub believe Christ is a human person. The text where he talks about his limitations are willful limitations that he underwent. So all of those texts are arguing against against a strong man. They're only they only work on the presubposition that you're correct that Jesus was just an apocalyptic preacher the apocalypse that you think he mispredicted or didn't get right or whatever. The text misinterpolated. They're about seventy a D. Luke twenty one is a prediction of what would happen in seventy eight that the temple would be destroyed, and it was in seventy eight D. That's why from the time of Christ to the time of the destruction of the Temple, it's the transition period. So, yes, there's going to be decisions about what gentile converts need to do when they come into the church. Do they need to be circucized? You know you've heard this argument. It's settled in Acts fifteen A. Right, So there's a process. And even after this period when there's so a lot of Jewish converts in the first ten chapters of Acts, and even past the first ten chapters of Acts, when the message begins to go out to the gentiles from Paul and Peter. So what happens is that you have this transition period and it becomes abundantly clear. Again, Jesus made this abundantly clear and Matthew twenty four in Luke twenty one, when you read those two texts together side by side, you'll see that he's talking about the destruction of the temple that was the doing away, the providential doing away. Jesus says, in the parable of wicked mine dressers, that that will happen, that the kingdom will be taken from the Jews and given to a nation producing the fruits thereof, namely all these predictions of the Gentile kingdom and the Old Testament, which again you admitted that there's all these prophecies about the coming of the Messiah, and then you turn around and said, no, they're about David, They're not about the Mesiah, they're not Messianic prophecies. You completely contradicted yourself soles talking about the actions of God and God as the Father. Okay, again, I already told you that Jesus has a father. That does not mean that there's no trinity. Only on the basis of dialectics, which is the basis of your whole philosophical approach. Would you think that because there's a distinction, there's a division when justin Martin, are you going to try felt what does he go to? He goes to the Angel, the Lord theophanies. Now you said angels are never ever conceived of in that way. The word angel just means messenger. Okay, So Jesus is the messenger of Yahweh. He is that messenger. So because the term could apply to a human messenger, it could apply to an angel in the sense of a created angelic being Michael Gabriel, And it could also apply to the messenger of God's Covenant as he's called the Old Testament. Right, So there's a consistent pattern of those Theophanies being worshiped. You can't worship angels anytime in scripture, in the Torah, in the Old Testament, somebody worships or bowels before an angel, they're rebuked. Can't worship old deities. You can't worship your ancestors, that's rebuked, but they're not rebuked when they bow down and worship before the Theophanes. Now you're gonna say, well, but you know, textual scholarship tells us other things, and you know the modern textual critics, but you will not allow those same textual critics to attack Islam. You will not allow that same approach to your religion. It's only that you selectively use these things about all religion. Now, guess what I heard. You're referring to Mark and you referred to elements I think of the documentary hypothesis. You referred to Q or Mark, which it used to be the idea that Q is the basis of mark. This hypothetical, Uh, you know, earliest text or whatever. Are you aware of the shifting sands of higher criticism that the theories that were popular fifty years ago, one hundred years ago, they're dead. They're not even popular anymore. If you go to Yale right now, into their biblical section on YouTube, you'll find biblical scholars from Yale, the prestige that you worship. You'll find them saying all the same things that I'm saying, that that the documentary hypothesis has been discarded. So your presupposition is gone, It's not even it's not even held anymore. All right, So I need to take a we wei break. I'll be right back if you would just hold on, hold on the fort just for a second.
Speaker 3: Needs to be drinking it, all right, Okay, what's on your mind?
Speaker 2: I think that there's an issue here which needs to be made clearer, and that is where I'm coming from and where you're coming from. And I don't reject where you're coming from in the sense of a traditioned, community based ecclesial reading of scripture. I understand what you mean by that. Obviously, it's a very Catholic idea, of the Roman Catholic idea as well. Evangelicals don't think they do it, but they are doing it as you and I know perfectly well. They have their own tradition, just they don't acknowledge it, by which I mean their own way of reading scripture, you know, focusing on maybe Paul or particular Luther and understanding whatever. Yeah, so that's what you're doing. And I understand that, and I'm not saying it's wrong per se. It's not where I'm coming from. And I think we're cross purposes here because how I see things is different. As a Muslim, I view say, the Gospels as products of of human beings. I view them as like the Hedith literature share we say. I don't regard them as revelation.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 2: And this is why we're different. We're coming so when I see Luke, for example, I think this is a human text written in the first century. It's not revelation. It's not inspired by God. Doesn't mean it's false or contains only error, but it's to be treated as any other ancient texts written by people. Is we have no special regard for it at all, Because I explain why for us, for Muslims, the Gospel the in Ngel, as the crime makes clear, was something given to Jesus. The gospel, it is something given to Jesus by God. He preaches the in Ingel. These gospels that you revere are written not by Jesus. You obviously don't claim they're written by Jesus. They're written by other people. So for us is revelation itself direct from God, whether be given to Jesus, Mohammad, or Moses or whatever. That is the thing that we revere. That these are human we as human biographies that are not inspired by God. That does not mean they're without value, but they have to be critically understood.
Speaker 1: Now, Hiera criticism about Moses hang in a second.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to we also practice higher criticism. I don't know this expression, that's very kind of nineteenth century. We also practice critics, a critical approach to the Herdeth literature, and that this has gone on almost from the beginning. There's been a very sophisticated science of criticism where we try and sort of what's authentic what isn't. We look at the isnab, we look at the mattin the text itself. We try and establish the reliability of the transmitters. And it's a very sophisticated science. And this is over going back from the eighth century onward. So we do practice sophisticated critical thinking about the Herdeth and that's been going on since virtually since the beginning. But when it comes to the Koran, and this is where we're going to have to agree to disagree. The Kuran is different because we view it. We believe it to be the actual speech of God himself. It's not inspired work, it's not written by Mohammad at all, although he has a role to play in its transmission. But we view the actual speech of God, so we view it as something you can't practice human criticism of because that would be blasphemous, is not appropriate. And now I know you have a you don't agree with that, which is fine. So that's why I have a different approach to the Koran than I would say to the four canonical Gospels, because I view them as very different ontologies, very different genres. So you may see that as inconsistency for me, it makes perfect sense. The Koran is the word of God. It's the speech of God. So is the Injured, so is the Torahs, so is the the the Psalm, so is the book given to Abraham, and so on. And I'm not saying that the Bible itself doesn't contain the word words of God. But it doesn't.
Speaker 1: In mind.
Speaker 2: You claim to be the word of God as a book. But that not a problem because in your in your ecclesiology, you have received these texts as word of God, because they speak preserably to you as word of God, as a church, and so they are inspired for you. But that is but that's not something that we as Muslims recognize. We see the human authorship of this as the primary characteristic, and so we hold no special regard from them as texts because they don't claim the revelation from God.
Speaker 1: Well again, hold on, do you accept the higher criticism of the Torah and Moses?
Speaker 2: What do you mean by higher criticism?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Do you accept the documentary hypothesis and the things that the techniques that you're applying to the Gospels. Do you accept that same approach to the books of Moses?
Speaker 2: The way you have characterized so called high critism, something I simply do not recognize. I mean, if you.
Speaker 1: Watch lectures on Yale right now, they're doing higher criticism. They talk about.
Speaker 2: Recognize your characterization of it. I know what it is, but I don't recognize your Do.
Speaker 1: You accept the documentary hypothesis or the.
Speaker 2: Approach hypothesis JPD. That's what you mean is still that the standard is still accepted as thank.
Speaker 1: You for admitting what we are. Now do you accept this critical approach the books of absolutely? Okay, how do you know the revelation of Moses is true in what area? In what area? Is not?
Speaker 2: Excellent question? If I enjoy your attention to the Quran which addresses this.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But the Koran tells us precisely that what we.
Speaker 1: Do well the presupposition is the Quran right.
Speaker 2: The Kuran says that the books of the Christians and the Jews have been corrupted, and it says in our made as the fifth chapter we have sent down to you. This is to Muhammad, the book, this crime in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it. This is talking about the torahm Ninjel and Mouhamin. Now this means Mahamed is an Arabic word which means that which testifies the truth that is still therein and falsifies the falsehood that is added therein. So we use the so judge among them. It says, by what Alah has revealed, meaning the Quran, and following up their vain desires, diverging away from the truth that has come to you. So the texts have been corrupted. This is the only reliable guide.
Speaker 1: No, no, you don't know that the text have been corrupted yet unless it's on the base of the presubposition. What the Chrin says. You think the texts are corupted.
Speaker 2: Right, But I believe, But I believe objective scholarship confirms it abundantly.
Speaker 1: Right. But the objective scholarship is interpreted in terms of the presubpositions. The ultimate authority for you, which is the Kuran. And what I'm asking you is when you read Moses, that text itself doesn't tell you which verses are corrupted and which words which ones aren't. What is your basis? What is the ultimate authority in terms of that critical approach to know when it is the word of God in those texts in the Torah, and when it.
Speaker 2: Isn't as Muslims are. The crime itself makes clear that that the Kuran itself is the discriminates. If you like, it's it's the quality control. It's used jargon.
Speaker 1: I understand that, But when you read through Genesis, how do you know which ones are through and which ones are false?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to explain. The quality control is the revelation that is the Koran. So if, for example, the Bible says something that is contrary to the Koran, say, for example, but it says Jesus God, then we know that's not from God because it contradicts God's revelation.
Speaker 1: Right, So the ultimate authority, the presuppositional grounding for your paradigm is the corona. I understand that, but you're not answering. You're not answering the question of how it is that you delineate as you read through because you can say something simple like that, well, if it could, if it contradicts, Okay, but what a question is?
Speaker 2: You know, I don't actually understand what you're trying to say that. If I mis understood you, what is your point again?
Speaker 1: You have no way that that saying that itself. I understand what you're saying that itself doesn't tell you as you read through the Old Testament which things are corrupted and aren't.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I now grasp what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Jay. For example, when Leviticus calls for the erection of a temple and a temple service, but.
Speaker 2: The churn is not a detailed exegesis of current Old Testament. So you're right. But but and when? Because it is corruptive, Muslims don't usually go to the Bible because it doesn't give undistorted truth. But no, you are right, But when it makes claims when we're told when Christians do you say X, and it clearly explicitly contradicts the chrome, then we know that X is wrong. It's not from God, so it has that value. And I give you one example. If New Testament says Jesus is God, then we know islamically that that is false because it contradicts the clear teachings of God's revelation.
Speaker 1: In the crime. But this is begging the question, because I'm asking you, as you're reading through, say a little Viticus or any of those texts, how do you know when it's corrupted and when it's not? You say, well, it intradicts that when it contradicts the corn.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 1: So let's give let's give an example where we see an angel lord or a theophany being worshiped. So basically what happens is that, ultimately you would say that that's perhaps a corruption. Right, if we see the angel lord, a distinct entity, a distinct distinct person from God, the Father or God being worshiped, that would perhaps be some corruption. Well, it turns out we find a lot of those. So in other words, what happens is starts stacking up a lot of these corruptions.
Speaker 2: And so there's a lot of coruptions.
Speaker 1: So I know that you believe that, but I'm saying it's arbitrary. It's totally at hoc. And so when I when we come to the specifics, when we come to the specifics and you start talking about how you know when and where you appeal to liberal higher critics, you don't do that about your religion. I don't believe operate, You don't operates as an objective.
Speaker 2: I reject this characterization of the liberal I think that's polemical and tendentious. I don't believe it's an authentic, accurate way of describing this scholars that I respect.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that in the year one thousand there were Bellhausen style critics that were doing that kind of analysis.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, val Housen was born in the nineteenth century, right, And I think coming back to this, Vale has point.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: That scholarship doesn't slafishly follow the Belle Housen if you read contemportary.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is that you don't know anything about the type. You don't know anything about the Torah because this standard that you've given doesn't tell you when and where it is and is not the word of God. Because I can start I can start stacking up things, and what's left to you is less and less and less and less. In the to itself there would actually be revelation from God on your view.
Speaker 2: Well, what I recommend you no giving it another exament. I mean, obviously perhaps haven't read the crime from cover to cover, but the portrayal for it. Give me another example of the prophets of God are often as discreditable, drunken, sexually immoral, murderers and so on. Is a portrayal that is rejected in the chrome. Well, okay, good, So that That would be another area where where the defamation of God's messages and prophets is false. Historically, it doesn't go a verse by verse exegesis, but it gives these broad indications that certain certain views are part of a corrupted, falsified narrative and it caused people.
Speaker 1: But you have no way of knowing when and where you can start listing all these arbitrary things. But less less and less so. You don't have access to Moses. You don't have access to the Torah. All you have is the lens of the Qur'an to sell things. That's why you're going to the higher critics. And they are liberal. What do you mean they don't believe in Yes they are. They don't believe in the doctorate of inspiration that the church of the first thousand years, No, they don't. Raymond Brown does not believe in the inherancy of scriptures. You know he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Can I can? I?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is obviously a subject you feel very passionate about, and I all I can say is I disagree the scholars that I know it read these topic.
Speaker 1: You know, Raymond Brown doesn't believe in Errancy.
Speaker 2: Raymond Bound died in the nineteen nineties. So and he you know, when I met him at Oxford, he certainly believed in the Trinity, he believed in the incarnation, he believed in the thinkings.
Speaker 1: Of the church.
Speaker 2: So he was not an unbeliever as you have. You have very as you have resulted him actually or blessed memory, because he was a very distinguished scholar of John's gospel.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares about distinguished scholarship. That's not what the appeal to authority is. Are you aware of this this fallacy?
Speaker 2: Right, I'm not appealing. I'm telling you that the man that you're mistaken about, the man who did proclaim his Christian faith, you seem to be dissing him quite powerfully. And I find that okay.
Speaker 1: So it's Hans skill Christian.
Speaker 2: Characteristic to speak so badly about a fellow Christian. Actually, I think that's quite This is.
Speaker 1: A tactic where you're trying to make me look like a bad man. Now we don't have a problem delineating who's a heretic and who's.
Speaker 2: Not well using that language. Again, I didn't realize you were so conservative, shall we say, about matters, But I just wanted to correct one other thing about my alleged inconsistency about the predictions of the Messia and the Old Testament. I was very careful when I said that I have no problem with the Masonic predictions in the in the Bible, in the Psalms and so on. But there's no evidence at all that I'm aware that the Psalmists predict the death and resurrection of the Messiah, or anyone talks about the incarnation of God as something that is to come. It's that aspect that I am rejecting. Not that's not inconsistency. Yes to the Messiah. No to the alleged predictions of death and resurrection incarnation, which do not exist as predictions anywhere in the Jewish Bible. In my view, That's what I'm getting at, So there's no inconsistency.
Speaker 1: You did contradict. You said that those texts were not about the Messiah. You said that those were texts about David. And then you turned around and said, you have no problem with a bunch of texts in the Old Testament predicting the coming of the Messiah. That's a contradiction.
Speaker 2: The suffering of the Messiah alleged. The Christian understanding of these sixs are not predictive texts of the future Messiah. They're talking about David's own suffering, so they're not the predictably.
Speaker 1: The Jewish view is that those are messianic texts. Whether it's back in Genesis predictions of what there was promised to Abraham, or whether it's the psalms of David. Jews view those as Messianic texts. It's not either or. Your whole thing is based on dialect.
Speaker 2: No Jew, there's no Jew known to history that prior to the rise of Christianity ever thought, ever thought that the Messiah would die for see and we'll be raised dead on the third day. That that that that idea only came about with Christianity.
Speaker 1: And you could prove that's actually not true, that's actually not true.
Speaker 2: I prove me wrong.
Speaker 1: Now what In fact, I have a friend who's a Messianic Jew. His name is Ken. I mean, he has a whole book where he delineates the first century expectations, Talmutic expectations, Talmutic statements, both helmuts.
Speaker 2: No I didn't think. I said, there is no a prior to the rise of christian Talmud is post is not prime.
Speaker 1: It's a. The Talmud is a collection of documents that go back to prior to the time of them. Side. Did you not know that?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, because the yes, it is Jeremiah talks to Ezra, and Jeremiah talk about the beginning of that collection.
Speaker 2: Of One example, give me one example.
Speaker 1: When Jesus says, you follow the Scribes and the Pharisees traditions in Matthew twenty three, when Jesus is rebuking their traditions, he's saying the exact same thing Seremiah said about the traditions of Describes in the Phariseeason. His day Ezra is the beginning of the Phariseeic tradition. No you, oh, you don't know. You just lost that point.
Speaker 2: Nowhere be prior to the rise of Christians.
Speaker 1: I just gave you a citation for Matthew twenty three.
Speaker 2: But that is Christianity.
Speaker 1: That's a first century text that's Reflectingmiah. Is it's Jeremiah, Okay, So forget Matthew twenty three. Jeremiah talks about the Describes and the Pharisees.
Speaker 2: Babylonia and Chalmud is not of the Messiah. For sin in the Jewish scriptures anywhere to show me. Give me a reference.
Speaker 1: Now you've changed the subject because you got caught on that point, right, So you didn't know. You didn't know that Ezra is the beginning of the Firistaid tradition, that the Talmudic tradition precedes the first century.
Speaker 2: Can you give me a single quote then, from any pre first cent, pre Christian source that talks about the Siah dying and rising again on the third day. Just give me a source now that's been recorded on YouTube now that I can study. Actually, give me a on YouTube. Now what do you mean, Well, just give me a reference, because you allege that I'm wrong. So I'm asking you to produce evidence any Christian statement from a Jew that said the Messiah.
Speaker 1: Will come and Joah six six.
Speaker 2: Let me let me look at it, because let me look at Let me look at it. I want to look at it up. Now I'm going to find it's a Times book towards the end here we go is Zia chapter.
Speaker 1: What's saying Hoseah six talks about on the third day he will raise us up?
Speaker 2: Let me let me just look at it. What fverse because it's quite a few verses.
Speaker 1: One and two.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me so come. I'm just gonna read it from the Bible. Here, come, and let us return to the Lord. For he for it is he who has torn, and he will hear us. He has struck, He has struck down, and he will bind us up. After two days he will revive us. On the third day he will raise us up that we may live before him. Where does it mentioned a Messiah?
Speaker 1: That's a Messianic prophecy. The whole book is if you don't understand the Old Testament, you don't understand that those are all predictions of the coming in themself. Guess what the Jews view that? As the Jews view those Texas.
Speaker 2: And Messiana context. The preceding chapter is the impending Judgment on Israel. This is talking about Israel, not about a feuture.
Speaker 1: Did you know that in the Gospel of Matthew, And if you read Matthew twenty three towards the end, finish In the Matthew twenty three towards the end, Jesus says that in the first century upon the Jews of his day would come the vengeance written of in all the prophets from Able to Zechariah. So all of those descriptions that are about the destruction of Israel, the First Temple when it was destroyed by the Babylonians. That's a type of the destruction of the Temple in seventy eighty. The New Testament makes it abundantly clear Jesus is saying that in these text and by the way, in Liu twenty four, Jesus says that all of these Old Testament predictions are about Him, the very thing that you can't seem to grasp about how to read the Old Testament. In Liu twenty four, it says Jesus opened the minds of the disciples to understand all things that were written about Him and the Law, the prophets, and Moses.
Speaker 2: I'm looking about pre christ texts. Your quotation ofbout Isaiah is a pre Christian text reading context of the impending judgment Israel and impenitence of Israel. It's all about Israel. It's not about a messiety. It says, come, let us return to the Lord, for.
Speaker 1: This happened in the first century bro seventy eighty.
Speaker 2: No, Nojoseiah was a Jewish prophet long before Jesus.
Speaker 1: Topology is do you understand this right, So.
Speaker 2: This is not about prophecy. This is not a prophecy of Jesus. I'm sorry it does not pass the test of historical credibility.
Speaker 1: You don't make that test.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm reading in context. It's ex Jesus. I'm just getting honest to Jesus.
Speaker 1: Even Jewish ex Jesus of their texts understands a double sense. They understand that prophecies. For example, Daniel says that he finished. Daniel says that in his day he read the writings of Jeremiah and the Babylonian Captivity to understand what would be mirrored in his day. So the texts themselves in the Old Testament teach typology. They teach that they are mirrored in future fulfillment. You didn't know that. You thought that it's only the historical exegesis. But the Jewish writings themselves say that the historical setting is a prediction of becoming Messiah. You already admitted this when you talked about the fact that you don't have a problem with the Old Testament prophets predicting the coming of the Messiah. So look how arbitrary this is. You're all over the place there's higher critics over here, higher criticism over here, and it's faith. But over here, I will arbitrarily take all of the profits and what they say.
Speaker 2: It's completely arbitrary respond to this. It's not an arbitrary to notice in its historical context that Hoseiah six is not talking about a future person, but about it.
Speaker 1: I didn't deny the historical context. I said it was a type you did not understand the types.
Speaker 2: Of historically later death and resurrection in there.
Speaker 1: You don't get to set the standard of of what the litmus tests is of how to determine like it has to say this in the passage. Right. I already refuted this earlier. I already refuted this earlier when I pointed out, look, does Abraham talk about the Mosaic law. That's like saying, well, since Abraham doesn't say that there will be a mosaic law, I don't accept anything after the time of Abraham. That's a ridiculous argument.
Speaker 2: If I refer to the Jewish Study Bible by the world's top Jewish scholars, and we look at Hoseiah chapter six, would you be interested know what they say about this passage.
Speaker 1: I have the Jewish Study Bible. I've read it. I know that they don't believe that. All of those texts are talking about them society, but even the Messianic text where they do think it's messianic.
Speaker 2: No, these are expert Jews talking about their own scripture.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. All you do is appeal to unbelievers.
Speaker 2: Bro, these are not unbelievers. They believe.
Speaker 1: These are unbelievers. They don't believe in Christianity.
Speaker 2: You interested in what they have to say about this passage?
Speaker 1: You know what? I know what the Jewish extra duces are. That passage is what I know that they don't believe it's messianic. I was making the point that in other texts, like the Dividic texts, they are saying it's messianic.
Speaker 2: Would remember we talked about the death and Resurrection being four card predicted as claimed by Paul in the Old Testament. It's the first passage you've given me, and it doesn't be honest past the test could have been.
Speaker 1: You don't make that test. You don't make that test. You and unbelieving people don't set up what the test is? Not unbelieved the authority to do that? Who does?
Speaker 2: The Orthodox Church?
Speaker 1: The Church correct because it's a self. It's a self.
Speaker 2: I'm not a Christian. I don't believe in your church.
Speaker 1: I know you don't.
Speaker 2: So if I'm looking at objective exte Jesus, there.
Speaker 1: Is no objective exto Jesus, there is no. There's not I believe there is.
Speaker 2: Jay. Can I explain to you what I think objectives is? Just let me speak for a second.
Speaker 1: You cited Thomas Kuhne in paradigms. You know that you know that we read things for a paradigm, so you know there's not objective.
Speaker 2: Exegu Jay, Okay, so let me expect it.
Speaker 1: You cite Thomas Kune in your debate on paradigms.
Speaker 2: Will do you let me speak?
Speaker 1: You cite Thomas Kune on paradigms in your debate admitting that there aren't purely objective exegesies.
Speaker 2: Will you let me speak, Jay, or you're going to shut me down again. Thomas Kuhn was talking about the structure that the name of his book is called the Structure of Science. I know you know it all, but let me explain anyway. He's not talking about biblical exegesis.
Speaker 1: He's talking about paradigms. Don't you think text, you're reading it through your paradigm.
Speaker 2: He's talking about scientific paradigms with reference to Newton, to Einstein, totolemaic cosmology.
Speaker 1: And scientific when we interpret the world, you're trying to do scientific extra Jesus.
Speaker 2: Talking about the cosmos and physics.
Speaker 1: It's a paradigm you have different.
Speaker 2: He was professor at Chicago University of Science.
Speaker 1: You're trying to do scientific.
Speaker 2: Now, if if I may speak about this passage, please and tell you what I think objective excuses is objective ex Jesus, I understand it is when you read a passage of the Bible, in this case, in its historical and literary context. So we're trying to understand the words that being meant for the Hebrew Hebrew writers Hoseiah in the context that he wrote them, with reference to the other passages, reference to.
Speaker 1: The time, and we believe in the grammatical historical approach.
Speaker 2: When we do that with this passage, and I almost I'm familiar with this passage in the whole book, there is no indication whatsoever of any Christian themes to do with the dying and resurrection of Jesus, such as Paul claims in one Corinthians, Chapter fifteen, verse three. So I will ask you perhaps to try another verge. Is another passage you can give me that actually does talk about these subjects that Paul mentions.
Speaker 1: Well, no, because what's going to happen is the exact same approach is no, no, no, let me finish. So what you're going to do is you're going to say that that's a Christian reading. Can you not hear that I'm saying that, yes, it's a Christian reading? And can you not hear that I said it's a mirrored fulfillment? Okay, So I don't deny that a grammatical historical context of what Hoseah is talking about that's in fact crucial to the fulfillment in our view, because it's a mirrored fulfillment. Seventy AD is a fulfillment of the destruction that happened in five eighty six weeks.
Speaker 2: This passage has anything to do with the future Messiah actually dying on the cross and rising on the third. So what do you think, then, saying you accept now the historical reading of the text, do you think the historical reading of this text suggests at all that a future Messiah will die on the cross and rise again on the third day, as you, well, can you show me where it says that in those.
Speaker 1: Chapter six Yeah, that's not how you do ex Jesus.
Speaker 2: Oh, which teach me extra Jesus.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, because you you in order to have your position, it has to only be the grammatical historical context. And as we see, for example, from the lifting up of the serpent on the pole, which Nicodemus is unclear about, and Jesus says in John three to Nicodemus that the son of Man will be lifted up just as Moses lifted up the bronze serpent. As many people point out to you in the debates, that's called typology, it's called a mirroring. Jewish exegesis already had this concept. It wasn't invented by Christians. Okay, So the way that we're going to read the text is through our presuppositions, in our paradigms. You know this because you cite Thomas Kuhn. You're trying to do scientific exo Jesus. So it's not different to appeal to Thomas Kewne because it's still paradematic the way that we interpret these texts. I know that you don't believe it's about Jesus. I'm saying that in the Christian worldview, in the Christian paradigm, it is about Jesus. It is a prediction of the depth on resurrection, because I explained it consistently by showing that it is a mirroring of the destruction of Jerusalem. So when the minor prophets, for example, many of them talk about the destruction of the First Temple in five eighty six. Okay, Now when you read Daniel, for example, Daniel says in Daniel nine that when the Messiah comes, there's going to be an end to the temple and grain offerings and sacrifices, because the Messiah will come and he will put an end to that. That whole first century is the transition period from the Mosaic Law into the fulfilling of the prophecies of the Gentiles coming into the Kingdom of God, as all those prophets said. So that whole transition period from the birth of Christ to seventy eighty, it doesn't just end in the resurrection or Pentecost or acts. It ends at seventy eighty. That's what the apocalypse is about. That's what Luke twenty one and Matthew twenty four about that's why Jesus says in Matthew twenty three at the end of that chapter that all the predictions and the prophets will come upon this generation. So that means this prophecy here in Amos will come upon this generation when he talks about the covenant curses of Israel Deuteronomy twenty eight, which lists all these covenant curses and Amos and Hoseiah talking about the divorce of literal flesh Israel in that covenantal transaction. That's what happened when they rejected the Messiah and Jesus. As he says in the Peri Wicked bind Dressers, the kingdom will go to the Gentiles because the Jews have rejected it. That's why it was destroyed in seventy eighty. It was the fulfillment not just of what Luke twenty one and Matthew twenty four said. It was a fulfillment of all of these predictions back to the Mosaic Deuteronomy twenty eight Covenant curses. And you say, well, that's crazy, that's not what we do now. No. In fact, if you read the Apocalypse in chapters two and three, when Jesus speaks to the churches, he it promises them curses and blessings, just like it's no different. We don't deny covenant blessings and curses, but we see a unity of fulfillment from the time of Genesis even into Moses up to the coming of the Messiah. And all I've seen from you throughout this discussion is all over the place. You want higher criticism and complete doubt of the scriptures when it suits you. But if we were to turn that higher critical approach upon your book, or if we were to point out that it's inconsistent when you arbitrarily pick which verses in the Torah or in the prophets you do accept right, it's totally arbitrary. So what do we go back to? It goes back to your presubositions of the Koran. So I want to ask you on the presubositions of the Koran. And it's you said, the literal actual speech of God himself. Are the words in the Koran a reflection of God himself? Or are they the words of God? In other words, the Koran that I hold in my hand, is that literally the incarnate words of God.
Speaker 2: Okay, coming back then to Hoseiah chapter six, I just wanted to give you the testimony of the Jewish study by It is published by Oxford University Press, and it is seen as the best critical scholarly.
Speaker 1: As the Jewish study that was supposed to bring.
Speaker 2: Jewish scholars say that is because I want to show you this is what Jewish got. The best Jewish scholarship says, because well, because.
Speaker 1: I'm going to pull out the Buddhist, the Buddhist approach to Islam and.
Speaker 2: The current because let's look at the Buddhist explained. If you didn't, the Jewish scriptures are the Jewish people's Bible. The Jewish scholars themselves have a word to say about their own scriptures, and what they say about Hosea chapter six is important because they have all they have a voice, it's their.
Speaker 1: Bible, and they don't believe in.
Speaker 2: Forty so one one and forty of the of this esteemed public ca And you look at you love to mock learning, and.
Speaker 1: You don't know what fallacies are you've never heard of, like a basic fallacy of.
Speaker 2: A there's no fallacy in pointing out that appeal.
Speaker 1: To authority as a fallacy. Do you think appeal to authority is a fallacy?
Speaker 2: It's not. It's not a fallacy. Can give an example. Let you go to example, I go to my doctor.
Speaker 1: I haven't never had a basic logic class. You don't think an appeal to authority is a fallacy.
Speaker 2: This is a silly argument. Let me explain why.
Speaker 1: No, it's not, and authority is a fallacy.
Speaker 2: You can let me speak. You see, you've lost the debate. The debate as I was saying, No, I hadn't actually that you said.
Speaker 1: Appeal to authority is not a fallacy.
Speaker 2: It's perfectly valid thing to do on occasions. And I'll give an example. If I if I have an illness and I go to my doctor and he assures me that the illness is an illness X.
Speaker 1: Okay, but where do you think it's at a paradigm level? It is. It is a fallacy. At paradigm level.
Speaker 2: I'm talking, you interrupt me. You're on a roll now and you're interrupting, and the doctor sells me, oh, Paul, you have disease X and you need treatment. I trust my doctor to get it right. I rely on his authority to give me information. I appeal to his authority. When when my friend of mine says, I looked on Google and I've seen this website and I don't no, no, I'm trusting my doctor. That's an appeal to authority, which is perfectly valid.
Speaker 1: But that's that's not at the paradigm level. We're at the paradigm level.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking and I'm just talking about an appeal to authority. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's called a fallacy. And because it is a fallacy, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You've not pointed out how it's a fallacy. In a slighted you could be said, it's it's very fallacy. Just claimed it the fallacy.
Speaker 1: How is it claimed it's a fallacy? I made it up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well why is it a fallacy? My doctor?
Speaker 1: We got to read we got to read this.
Speaker 2: An expert physician, and I appeal to experts.
Speaker 1: This is fallacies. That station It's just sorry, but it's a fallacy. Why is it a fallacy? Take a Magic Basic logic class and you'll get a list of the informal fallacies, and one of the top ones there will be a fallacy of authority.
Speaker 2: Can you actually tell me why it's a fallacy.
Speaker 1: Just tell me what I already have, because at the paradigm level you can't appeal to human authorities like that. When I'm asking you a paradigm level question. You know about paradigms because you cited Thomas Kenny wrote a whole book about it. I'm asking you a paradigmatic level question, and you're saying that it's not amount of fallacy.
Speaker 2: Paradigm today you're obsessed with paradigms.
Speaker 1: That paradigm that's how that's how I do. That's how I do.
Speaker 2: But that's not how I do. You see them, was only concerned with the structure of scientific revolutions and paradigm shifts. Nothing to do with our paradigms of the Bible.
Speaker 1: Not true, wrong, wrong, you're trying to do scientific You said you're doing scientific exidesis you said you're doing scientific extrajicie, it's the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: You're not to let me speak, just to say that this Bible completely disagrees these expert a Jewish scholarship.
Speaker 1: Mind blown Jews that are expert Jews disagree with Christian argument any evidence.
Speaker 2: Some of the Jewish scriptures that that stated that the Messiah would die and rise again on the third day. This passage, they will not say that. It does not say that, so you have failed in your effort.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, it sound to read superchats are ready? All right? Thank you JD. From this lurking Nerd Joline K nine ninety nine. Well, thank you, Joline, appreciate it. Brandon Johnson one dollar, Thank you, Brandon, now Ke for us focus five dollars, Thank you very much, nikever appreciate that. Frosty. By the way, if you want to add the superchats, now is the time, Frosty the bear of five dollars. Jesus fulfilled every prophecy of his coming, as told in the Torah and the prophets. How can that be denied? I agree with that. That was one of the arguments, Paul. You can respond to that I deny it.
Speaker 2: Should I give an example where it is denied? Go ahead, okay. There's a passage in Matthew's Gospel where Matthew says that he fulfilled a prophecy that he will be called a Nazarene. I'm not aware of any prophecy like this anywhere in the Bible. Perhaps you can tell me where it is right.
Speaker 1: Well, there are traditions we as you are aware of, the Roman Catholic view and the Orthodox view agrees that there's an oral tradition. Oral tradition doesn't just apply to the Apostolic deposit. There's also oral traditions that Jesus appealed to many times in the Gospels. And as I mentioned earlier, Jeremiah speaks of the Pharisaic tradition. Even in Jeremiah's day, there was some corruption in the Pharisee tradition. That's what Jeremiah criticizes in his book. But we don't think that everything that the Pharisees taught was erroneous. In fact, because Matthew twenty three Jesus says describes in the Pharisees sit in the seat of Moses. There's no direct Torah or prophet explanation of what the seed of Moses is, but is a succession of authority that traditional that you just appealed to. So I would reply to you that that text that you're talking about is a tradition.
Speaker 2: Well, it says actually through the profits, So which profit.
Speaker 1: Do we have? There are profits that that spoke and taught oral traditions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So which which are the prophets?
Speaker 1: Said that we don't know?
Speaker 2: So how did Matthew know?
Speaker 1: Because well, we believe in inspiration, so and argue men, men can be inspired.
Speaker 2: And also that's an arbitrary that is true.
Speaker 1: No, it's not, No, it's not. I mean, if you understand how Judio hasn't worked, they had an oral tradition as well as a written tradition before the time of Christ.
Speaker 2: If I said to you as it says in the Profits, would you automatically assume you I was speaking about oral works or tradition.
Speaker 1: I would yes, because that's a common apologetic argument.
Speaker 2: I make, very unusual because the profits, it's.
Speaker 1: Not very unusual. It's a common apologetic argument we make. So okay, we got we got to move on.
Speaker 2: This is this to the Jewish prophets, and there are no Jewish prophets ever said that. That's my point.
Speaker 1: So Lieutenant c HF five dollars, thank you, Lieutenant spec seven read eighty two. No comments on this. I'm waiting for your Papacy series. It's gonna come. I promise you, Speca there will be a treatment of the history of the papacy coming soon. John Holloway five dollars. What would you say the key difference is between Christian just warfare and Islamic just warfare, or an Orthodox theocratic view versus an Islamic view. I'll stay briefly my take on that, and I'll let paulicy. I would say that if you look at the history of Orthodox kingdoms, the businessing Empire, you would see at least attempts. And obviously this wasn't always done correctly or ideally, but there's there's typically the attempts to have Biblical principles apply even to warfare. So there's a book by McGuckin The Christian Scent of Christian Law where he kind of traces the history of canon law and how it influenced Byzantium and and so in my view, I would say that we try to apply He could look at something like the Catholic view of just war. I mean that's you know, the Roman Catholic and the Orthodox perspective historically have been kind of similar on just war theory. Paul can feel free to answer his view of theocracy.
Speaker 2: There is a just war, clear boundaries and limitations on fighting. She had military you had, it has to be done for proportionately. You can't target women, children, babies, monks, and priests. There's explicitly said in the teaching my Hammi's why isis is so on Islamic because so barbaric and it's atrocities. It has nothing to do with Islam. However, the Bible, unfortunately is very different. Unfortunately, it advocates genocide. In one Samuel fifteen, God is portrayed as someone who commands the killing of women, children, babies, donkeys, camels. There is no just war in the Bible. It's unrestricted genocide and slaughter on an industrial scale. And I'm afraid if you want just war, you're not going to find it in the Bible, but you will find it in Islam.
Speaker 1: Okay. For a fuller treatment of my response to the things that Paul just said, I do have two talks. If you listen to my traditional flash in Metaphysics series, I actually cover the just war and the text that he said talk about there those were specific instances where God committed Israel to do those things, So I treat that in more more detail. All right, so we move on to bony M two dollars, Thank you bony M. Lieutenant C. HF five dollars. I S L A M E. D. I'm not sure what that means. N. C red Dollar ninety nine. Modern crusade when no time for crusades or that's not the way things work now, Mark Brown two dollars. Well well done defending divinity of Jesus. Thank you, we lad two dollars. He has not responded to the divine simplicity criticism. No, I don't think that he did. Do you have any response to the criticism I made of the fact that if God's unicity is an absolutely viewed in an absolute sense, that his act of creating the world is also synonymous with his essence, which is eternal, that would mean the creation is eternal.
Speaker 2: No. I don't follow the logic of that at all. God in Islam is someone who is absolute, eternal, uncous cause of all that is in the universe, the space, time, continuum, et cetera. He is eternally the creator, he's eternally loving, he's eternally always attributes are eternal.
Speaker 1: Is eternally the creator.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course he doesn't. God doesn't. And unlike in Christianity, where God changes, he becomes a man, he dies, and so on, God being eternal does not does not change. He's always doesn't mean he's always creating, but he's always the creator and obviously.
Speaker 1: The creation the creator. If he's not always creating.
Speaker 2: Because he has the attributes of being a creator, that's what it means. Yeah, that's what the word creator means, being a creator.
Speaker 1: How is he how is he an eternal creator when he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Creating, always creating any more than he has the attribute of glory and love and compassion that he is always in our space time sense doing those things.
Speaker 1: Different Because because if he's an eternal is eternally creator, then what's her creator of eternally? Well, he that's not why the attributes breakdown. They're meaningless.
Speaker 2: The universe is contingent, it's not necessary.
Speaker 1: It's it's not an answer. That's not what I asked you.
Speaker 2: Well, it's my answer. You may not like it's my answer. And therefore there was a time when the universe didn't exist.
Speaker 1: Now God, then God's not always creator.
Speaker 2: God didn't change and become something he wasn't before because God is perfect.
Speaker 1: And then he's an internal creator. But in Christianity, refuted yourself.
Speaker 2: You believe God died and God does not die. God is immortal.
Speaker 1: The Bible says that Jesus himself underwent Now you don't believe, you don't know what we believe. He underwent death in his humanity, that the Son of God did.
Speaker 2: Not die, so the divinity of God, of God didn't die. So you believe it impossible a human sacrifice that saves you, when a human sacrifice again, is not a notion worthy of God.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid fact that you only determine what is worthy of God or a notion worthy of God, within the paradigm of the belief system itself. So you're you're using an extra.
Speaker 2: System, using the paradigm of the Bible, because the.
Speaker 1: God requires God part of sacrifices.
Speaker 2: My paradigm is the Jewish Bible, and what it says about human sacrifice.
Speaker 1: Well, that doesn't matter because we're not Jews. So you're the paradigm of the Jewish BIBLEY not an argument against this.
Speaker 2: The New Testament is a book written by people. I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's arbitrary, right, So the the was the Mosaic Law written by people.
Speaker 2: I don't think he was right. I don't think the Apostles Law he was writing scripture when you pay.
Speaker 1: Your arbitrary Paul, it's arbitrary.
Speaker 2: There's just a word you're throwing out. Do you think Paul realized he was writing holy scripture when you wrote one?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Yes.
Speaker 2: No, But you see he didn't because he denied in one Corinthians, chapter seven, verse twelve that what he was saying was from God.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's that's an example of that's an example like listen, if you go to an Orthodox liturgy, you will see an irreverence of the text in different levels. So for example, I'm talking about you're not you're not going to listen to what my explanation. So let's move on. Lawrence ballinag two dollars the lad spent. Okay, thank you appreciate that. Nickorepis focus again. Five dollars, thank you. Unrelated question do you haven't Jay? Do you have a favorite book dealing with the spiritual or ascetic life outside of the Bible. Well, of course, the feel of Colia is good, but I would say I usually go to my prayer book. So if you don't have an Orthodox prayer book, I would recommend having one of those. Lieutenant C. HF. Two dollars Your your shirt is haram Paul Robino two pounds Chad Jay versus Virgin Muslim. I'm not going to read the other comments there so they might get us in trouble Silver nas Gul five dollars Starting with Jay. Can you go into the presubpositions of nature in person, especially with regard to the hour? Why have you forsaken me? Yes, we don't believe that Jesus is expressing from in an aryan or human sense that he was forgotten of God. He's quoting the Psalms. He's quoting David's experience of feeling death, which shows that in the Gospel and Jesus perspective, every time the time the Old Testament and the Psalms are cited, they're cited christologically. So this is something that Paul and I would disagree with. I don't think he understands that. If you do a study of all of the texts in the New Testament where they cite the Old Testament, you will see that almost all the time it's interpreted christologically. I know Paul reck rejects that, but what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Is that it's called Jesus east of Jesus. I agree it's happening.
Speaker 3: I agree, but Gesus.
Speaker 1: Okay, again, that's why we went to paradigms, because in order to judge when something's ice to Jesus and when something's not right, we have to You are assuming that there's a neutral critical stance, and I'm telling you that there's not. I ask you multiple times that I asked you multiple times how you determine your neutral critical stance and you restated what a grammatical historical, neutral historical stance is and I'm saying that doesn't exist. You admit that it doesn't exist because you know about Thomas Kune. You said that Thomas Kune doesn't apply because he's talking about science. And then you said that your approaches scientific exto Jesus. So you don't understand paradigms and you don't understand philosophy in that regard.
Speaker 2: Question Jay, about the crime there? Do you want to deal with that someone gave you five dollars?
Speaker 1: Which one?
Speaker 2: It was a bit further up, it's about the trinity and Mary and in the clan.
Speaker 1: Oh I missed out. Okay, let's see, but where are your nab Paul? Ask Paul why the Koran got the Trinity wrong includes Mary if Allah is the true all known God Koran five one sixty.
Speaker 2: This, this is a misunderstanding. If you actually read the passage, it doesn't mention a trinity at all. It says here, and I'll read the quote. When God says, Jesus, son of Mary, did you say to people, take me and my mother as to gods alongside God? He will say that's Jesus, may you be exalted. I would never say what I have no right to say. If I had said such a thing, you would have known it. So he's basically denying that he ever asked people to worship him as God or his mother as God. Yet they're both be given divine titles by Christians, by Orthodox christ particularly who are very load Mary with with these divine titles. And the Crown corrects this is that either she nor Jesus ever claimed these divine titles for themselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, well again, I quoted at the beginning of the debate in Luke. Early on, you have Elizabeth saying to Mary, who am I to the mother of my Lord? Lord is a divine title in the New Testament, and the title the title mother of God does not mean she caused his divinity. All it means is that she was the means by All it means is that she was the means by which the Son of God was born. Paul should know that, but he's acting like he doesn't know that. Christianity teaches that.
Speaker 2: Tony Blass, I believe they do still.
Speaker 1: Now, most Mary is not got Okay, nobody believes.
Speaker 2: That she is treated as a de facto deity.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean one of the areas where I'm a specialist is in the question of Saint Cyril and Ephesus uh. And the term mother of God does not mean that she caused his divinity. So I'm telling you that that's what we believe.
Speaker 2: Of the Holy Spirit. What do you think about that title given to marri We're not Roman Catholics, so, but Roman Catholics call Mary's.
Speaker 1: I'm not here to debate Roman Catholicism.
Speaker 2: So I'm saying the biggest church in the world, I'm not here to defend that this chronic criticism is still very relevant today.
Speaker 1: Okay, Robino, I'm going to try to make sure that did miss these. Okay, some of these are a little leude. I'm not going to read the lude ones Robino Jay dire invite English humorous polliums. I don't get it, Pepe sells, who's buying three dollars? Three dollars for the triying God? Honk Lawrence ballinak to dollars? Think you? Lawrence Tannertary twenty dollars. Well, Tannertary says Paul, I'm an expert when it comes to programming computers can materialize a unicorn. I'm an I'm an expert. Therefore it must be true that computers can materialize unicorns. That's why this is a fallacy.
Speaker 2: This is a very silly thing to say.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he's illustrating why that's a fellasum.
Speaker 2: I don't see anything to do with what I've said about Jesus or God or the Choran a.
Speaker 1: Connection, okay, Lieutenant HF five dollars. How can Paul say that mess Anic prophecies in the Psalms might refer to Jesus, but also at the same time that believes that the Promise to Hagars talks about Muhammad.
Speaker 2: That's two completely different things. There are massly any prophecies which do not refer, ever in the Bible, to a Messiah being God, or dying for sins, or dying for any of what sins of the world. This is a Christian story. It's a Christian myth. It's not I believed by any Jews prior to the rise of Christianity, and therefore I see no reason to believe it myself. It's not taught by the churn.
Speaker 1: Okay, by her WHI is five dollars. I just attended my first Orthodox service and I loved it. Thank you Jay, Well, thank you. By her helpe, you continue seeking out the truth in that regard? What does ac five euro What does Paul think about We're not going to read the the ones I can't read a loud Mark Brown two dollars? Ask Paul how logos fits into the current Well, let me ask you this a couple I'll rephrase this. What about the common objections that you hear kind of the low level of program. You know, about the bad things in Mohammed's life, which I'm not going to say public because of the YouTube, you know, strictures. I'm not going to say certain things, or about the way the Kuran talks about the logos? What would you say about those things? Paul?
Speaker 2: Look, so I don't know what, So can you give me a passage to this is too vague.
Speaker 1: Well, what I'm saying is that sometimes people will criticize the moral, will say lifestyle of the prophet.
Speaker 2: Give me example, because I didn't see.
Speaker 1: I'll let the person who gave the question they can add their example.
Speaker 2: I'm not a sensitive about this, Jay, so I'm not good, but.
Speaker 1: I'm concerned about the way YouTube works with questions and censorship. That's all.
Speaker 2: Oh, always see. No, that's a good point, j in that case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll ask the next one. Mark says, Paul, how does logos fit into the Kuran?
Speaker 2: Locos is a Greek term meaning reason or thought. I'm not aware that term is used as such in the Koran?
Speaker 1: Tan or terry. Five dollars, Paul, Kuran, Well, we already had that, Tanner, We already had that. That's that question about five one sixteen, Grandma for Alexander five dollars, lads, I haven't seen a stream this lit in a while. Well, thank you, Grandma. I hope you enjoyed it. Jack Henney, all must see com I don't know Arabic? What does that?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 1: You know what that means? All? My see Kam come so I don't know where that was it, Robino two dollars last donation. Thank you for this great stream. All right, well, thank you. Let's see do we have any more? I don't see anymore coming in. But well that was heated. I'm glad that that it got kind of hot. The audience always likes a little bit of heat. I did enjoy even though we got here, and I hope it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Too again, I'm happy and it's a bit cold here in England, so I don't mean I don't mind a bit of heat at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see, I'll let you if you want to give out your website, I'll put everybody's link, you know, our links below and if I remember the questions that were asking me, I'll put links to specific answer questions as well. Paul, do you want to let everybody know what your website is and where they can.
Speaker 2: Find you and what you'll be Yeah, it's called blogging Theology to blogging Theology the number two dot com Blogging Theology too dot com, And it's a forum, a safe space where Christians and Muslims and others can debate and discuss articles. There's no restriction on people. People say, as long as they're not abusive, and you're welcome to stop by, read the articles, comment, disagree. Disagreement is absolutely fine. You can say things you disagree about Islam. I'm not sensitive about that at all.
Speaker 1: There's one last there's another question here. Spec. Seven for nine nine says, isn't there a different He says, isn't there only one Qur'an because the others were destroyed if they conflicted? Is that true?
Speaker 2: Uh? Not really that that's a myth. What happened was at the time of Uthman, here was the third caliph in Islam and the seventh and eighth centuries, islamas spreading throughout the Middle East and what we call you know, Iran and the Middle East and North Africa. It was an oral it was mainly an oral recitation, and non Muslims obviously becoming Muslims as well, and the purity of the original tech the original recitation was changing and there was and people were noticing that different kinds of you know, there's a danger of the Kran becoming corrupted. And what Othman decided to do he created this odor, this codex basically with all the agreement of the companions, and they created together all the written records of what the Hammad had given them about the Kran says, and he created this text, which was then copied, and copies of it were sent out to the various parts of the Islamic Empire. And all the other copies were ordered to be destroyed because they might contain errors. They might have been written down when someone misunderstood something, you know, thousands of miles away from Medina or Mecca. So that was the purpose. It was to protect the purity of the original revelation. And so it was all Muslims now, except that the Othmanic Codex is the original codex and Western scholars, I know you hate this, but Western scholars accept this and they see it as historically reliable.
Speaker 1: Okay. I did have a couple of questions about the uploading the stream. I'm not giving people permission to upload all of my streams, just this stream. If you want to upload it, I don't care, but just please have a link to the channel. And we had another question, Eric Gernberg ten dollars, Jay, can you read Isaiah fifty three and other biblical passes? Is about the coming of the Messiah, his divinity I mean, I'm sure that Paul has a pat response to that. I mean, you know, obviously we think that the suffering servant and these texts do refer to the Messiah, they do talk about his suffering, but again we disagree at a paradigmatic level. What do you think about those texts.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. I'm frequently asked about this by Christians. I just want people to notice one thing. Realize I fifty three, and do you ever notice the Messiah a Messiah ever mentioned? It's not mentioned, And in fact, the Isaiah fifty three is the fourth or four servants songs STI mentioned scottars I apologize for now.
Speaker 1: It's just that it's arbitrary because because Messiah is you have these arbitrary categories, you said, because the text doesn't say you erect arbitrary categories about it.
Speaker 2: Just continue. There are four servant songs. As I think Jay knows full well, this is the last. The servant is clearly identif to find Israel itself. This is a poetic passage, it's a figure of speech. It is understood now by Hebrew scholars as it was then to refer to Israel itself in captivity and.
Speaker 1: You just don't have that exegesis of messy passages. By the way, that's something that you've made up to explain away what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, what I'm saying is that this passage doesn't speak of a Messiah, doesn't mention a Messiah.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to mention it by name. Paul I already dismantled because I can't.
Speaker 2: Say it's a passage and then it never mentions a Messiah. That's kind of that's very weak, are very weak argument. Indeed, you've got to have some so any so any text.
Speaker 1: How do you know that a text has to have the term Messiah and it to be a Messianic prediction, because the Jews don't be it that way.
Speaker 2: Because you could then say any passage of the Old Testament, I choose arbitrarily, and I'm going to use your word now, it's entirely arbitrary which passages you say are Messianic or not. Isai fifty three in context, if you read the Isaiah fifty two and fifty four, nobody denies to Israel. It's not about were because of the context.
Speaker 1: We agree about the historical context, and there's a mirrored fulfillment Okay, so there's no denying that.
Speaker 2: Fulfillment in the Jewish scriptures. I'm sorry, that's not that's.
Speaker 1: Not but you're not understanding that even the Jews believe that David was writing about David and the coming Messiah.
Speaker 2: Okay, can you grasp that fifty three is not a mirrored anything he's talking about is.
Speaker 1: I'm talking all the Messianic prophecies are a historical reference to their day and to the coming time of the Messiah.
Speaker 2: What's the evidence of that? Is typically that way, Well, where's evidence for that? Where's the evidence for that?
Speaker 1: Look at any look at any Jewish list of what the Messianic prophecies are. They will talk the Jewish study bibble that you have. I have that same Jewish study Bible when they talk about Messianic prophecies and the Psalms, they don't deny that it's also historically about David.
Speaker 2: H The idea that the Christian belief is very clear. I just refuted you hang on, hang on that God became a man and died on the back.
Speaker 1: That's not an answer to the question about predictions. It's not an answer to what I just said about.
Speaker 2: Don't override me this, This claim which Paul says, and when Corinthian's uh is actually referenced in the in the Jewish Bible, is without any foundation whatsoever in the Jewish scriptures. Isaiah fifty three doesn't get you out of that hole. I'm afraid it doesn't mention a besides, doesn't mention the death of missile. It doesn't mention.
Speaker 1: Categories that don't you appealed to the Jews? Do you appel to the Jews? You appeal to the Jews, And when Jews read the Psalms of David, they think they're messianic, and they don't all mention the word Messiah. You made up your own category to escape the force of the argument.
Speaker 2: Can you cite me who believes they're going to.
Speaker 1: We're going to move on two dollars? Enjoyed this traditional Christian five pounds? Can you explain Paul using appeal to authority with and vsa V his doctor analogy? I don't know if you're asking me or him. I don't understand the question. Actually, can let me let me reread this. Can I explain Paul using appeal to authority as in like a fallacy with scholars? Vsa V his doctor analogy. I'm sorry, I can't. I don't understand the question.
Speaker 2: But uh, I'm opinion to authority when I see my doctor. But you seem to think it's a fallacy.
Speaker 1: And how is it a fallacy because we're at the level of paradigms, and at the level of paradigms, you can't appeal to a lesser authority to validate the paradigm.
Speaker 2: Paradigms is something I'm asking.
Speaker 1: You paradigmatic questions, and you.
Speaker 2: Can't logical point a logical point. You said, it's a logical fallacy.
Speaker 1: You don't understand what methologic is. You don't understand how world us work.
Speaker 2: My doctor for him on his authority to correctly diagnose my illness.
Speaker 1: It's not It is not a paradigmatic level question. Going to the doctor and getting sick and using that as an analogy is not a paradigmatic level question logical fallacy. Therefore, it is a logical fallacy. Paul, go look up any basic list of.
Speaker 2: I did a degree.
Speaker 1: Oh, nobody cares about your degree and where you studied. That's a fallacy too, That's a fallacy. To appeal to consensus, appeal to appeal to popularity, appeal to prestige, that's a fallacy. Yeah, I do logic, that's a fallacy. How's that obsessed?
Speaker 2: I don't care it means anything. You're just throwing around like confetti as if this proves anything. It doesn't prove anything.
Speaker 1: It proves that you don't know basic logic. That's why you lost the debate.
Speaker 2: I'll go to my library, I show the textbooks I use.
Speaker 1: Are you are you? Are you that arrogant that we care that you go to some fancy library and pull up textbooks. Nobody cares about where you went to school. It's how a debate works. You lost because you didn't know what a basic fallacy was. That's where he lost the debate.
Speaker 2: You lost because you never actually pointed out not a fallacy, it's not a fallacy.
Speaker 1: Appeal to authority as a fallacy.
Speaker 2: Why is it? Just tell me, just tell me now why it's a fallacy.
Speaker 1: Don't for the fifth time, for the fifth time. It's an appeal to authorities, because, especially at the paradigm level, you can't appeal to a lesser authority to uh to vindicate something that is paradigmatic. Okay, that's why that.
Speaker 2: Sentence Jane, I didn't understand that sentence.
Speaker 1: I know you didn't understand that sentence. That's why I've repeated it ten times in the debate. I still want So we're done, Okay, we can. I can't keep going on this all day. We're going for a long time. I've got other things. I got it. We can. We can schedule another debate. This has been. This has been I think, really cool again. So Paul's I'll have his links below. I'm glad I got he did. Don't want to get too heated, don't want things to continue on. I'm gonna have to get out here in a minute. I can't keep going forever, even though this was a lot of fun. Okay, So so thank you guys, Paul, thank you very much. I appreciate it. Forgive me if I was too passionate, but I do get very passionate about this.
Speaker 2: That's fine, don't worry.
Speaker 1: Jay.
Speaker 2: I like you, Jay. Finally, I like your passion. I appreciate your integrity, I appreciate your passion for truth, passion for the truth. And we can certainly schedule another or schedule schedule another event at some time in the future.
Speaker 1: All right, And yeah, maybe we'll pick a different sort of more specified topic, so we're not kind of doing everything.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's a very good point. I would like to narrow this down because it's a rush thing and I'm thinking, oh my god, there's ten points I got.
Speaker 1: You know me too, I've got a whole bunch of notes. But we do have one last question here, all right, So mister Williams, can you talk to a monk to guide you to clean your news, to find God in your heart? And then debate?
Speaker 2: So that's I I didn't even understand the question. What was the question?
Speaker 1: Again? Part of the question was would you be willing to go talk to a monastic person and learn about the Orthodox Church? As I think he's getting.
Speaker 2: Well, what I did was when I was a I went to Court Abbey on the Isle of Wight, which is a very conservative, traditional Catholic monastery. It's it's a contemplate to community and I've often been there on retreat, not as a Muslim, but before I did. So, you know, I like monasteries. I like the monastic life. I like the silence and the reverence and the spirituality and the good food usually, so I don't feel need now to go back to a monastery and.
Speaker 1: Hang out there.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think they were talking about Orthodox monster, which would be which would would be different from real usson. But anyway, all right, we got I'm going to have to end it. This this has gone on. It's very it was very enjoyable. I appreciate his approach. He was able to deal with my heatedness. And God bless everybody. Thank you for watching. And again I stress you can upload this, this discussion, but please, that doesn't that's not giving you permission to upload all of my other videos and talk to those are online. Ask me for permission. This one you can upload as long as you put links to the talk and anyway, have a good night. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So i'mily come