Speaker 1: Special operations. Cobert asked me and the Team House with your hosts Jack Murphy and David Park.
Speaker 2: Hey, everyone, welcome to episode one and fifty six of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here with Dave Park. We got deproducing and we have a special guest tonight, Drew Mullins, and I want to apologize first off, to Drew for wasting some of his time last night, and also everyone else who tuned in. We take a lot of pride in doing a consistent, well produced show every Friday eight pm. Were there, and last night we screwed up. It's not Drew's fault, it's totally us. We had some we moved into a new studio, we have some technical issues to iron out, but I'm really glad that we did.
Speaker 3: We did a lot of work today, got a lot.
Speaker 2: Of things accomplished, and I'm just glad we're all here, and I'm really glad that Drew is here with us. Drew is a former Navy seal. He went through BUDS Class one hundred and fifty six, which coincides with this episode. You'd see that back there and his helmet back there in his office, and Drew went on to serve in a Jaysox special mission. Unit did some of the AFO mission over in Iraq in two thousand and three with some other previous guests of the show, so.
Speaker 3: We're really excited to have you here today. Drew. Thank you so much for taking some time out of your Saturday.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, guys, thanks, thanks for having me man.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it absolutely, Man, and thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: Even after we consistently blamed you for all of our problems last night, it turned.
Speaker 4: Out to be us. I thought it was me, I did. I thought, you know, what a shit show I was, you know, representing you know, like you said repeatedly, this has never happened before, so I felt good.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks, Yeah, sorry, man, no it has. We've never had to reschedule a show like that before. But hey, Drew jumped through. It was so many, it was it was it was definitely not on Drew's head. So Drew, to kick off the show, I'm going to ask you kick kick to you the same question we asked really most of our guests, is about your origin story. If you can tell us a little bit about your upbringing, how you grew up, and sort of what that path was that took you towards military service.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, having listened to some of the other guests, I won't go through the whole retirement speech version of what got me here. But I grew up in California, on the beach in California, and I was born and raised there. My dad was in the Navy in the sixties for about eight years, so I was born on a on a Navy base, as were three of my other brothers and sister, and I just had a kind of a normal wildhood, I guess. But then my parents got divorced and so there was four of us, and just as you know, life would have it, we kind of had to just fend for ourselfs but great, great upbringing. Played A lot of sports and worked in the oil fields for a while. And in the mid to mid eighties, I was a young man and kind of drifting. I was playing rugby with uh. I started playing rugby after college and had had a lot of fun. I met some some of the guys on our team just happened to be Vietnam Era seals. So and I didn't really know what a frog man was. I mean, back then, you didn't know anything about it. You did tea or any of that stuff unless you knew someone, and except for that book Men with Green Faces or whatever it was. And I was kind of I was had gotten into an early marriage, I had a son, kind of out of wedlock. I was feeling pretty much like a dead bee dad kind of thing, and was trying to figure out how to how to navigate the waters as a as a young man. And one of the one of the games we had, we were down in San Diego and this my mentor, the guy who saved my life, basically, Eddie Farmer, shout out to Eddie Farmer. He'd get together when we play the other team, and there'd be other guys he knew from Vietnam, and they start telling these stories and I'm like, what the hell are you talking about? You know, you know, like crashed helos with oga stuff in it that they had to get out, and ambushes and all those kind of things, and you know, they tell all these stories and I thought, wow, tell me more about that. Well, it was what it was, and I and I thought, that's that's pretty cool. And then one day Ed pulled me aside and he kind of had the father talk with me because I didn't really have a strong father figure at the time, and I didn't want to repeat some of the same mistakes that happened to me when my parents broke up. So I figured, at least if I joined the Navy, I could take care of my son, you know, ay a child support and all that kind of stuff. So I went to the recruiter and I was a little bit older. It was twenty four, I think, and he starts, you know, going down the list. Hey, so tell me about you know, what education you have, what do you do, what kind of jobs you have, And he gets to the part where it's it's like, did you ever do any drugs? I'm like, I looked at him, like pretty serious and and and he said, yeah, I mean, you know, did you just I had to choose a rate at the time, you know, it wasn't the pipeline is now. So before that I'd asked him, well, what do the Seals need, and he said they need corman really bad, and they need radio right now. So I said, oh, I'll be a Corman. I get hurt. I can take care of myself. But then when he got to the drug screening parties, He's like, he asked me that question, and I said, uh, And then he said, wait, wait, wait, stop before you answer that, if you've experimented with anything more than five times, you might not be eligible for the program. Ah okay, thanks, Yeah, I experimented with pot five times whatever and anything else. I'm like, come on, dude, really he's And I said, okay, no, anyway, I joined I made it through that, but I was, let me just say that, you know, it was the eighties and I was kind of sweating the Hiss test when I went through MEPs. But I mean, and I made a deal with myself. Hey self, but you're not gonna do that shit anymore. Yeah, your career, yeh for that kind of stuff. And and it wasn't a big deal. It was just kind of like the usual West Coast stuff. But I went to Buds, or actually I went to corn At school and then went to BUDS. Classed up in uh the winter of eighty eight with class one fifty three. That was my whole week. Class had one hundred you know, the typical numbers, one hundred and sixty something sixty six, I think, guys, and I think forty made it through Hell week or something like that. And uh, talk more about it later about like you know, some of the bud stuff. But made it through Hell week. I got rolled back because I got it. I got hurt, but ended up graduating with class one fifty six and then uh, you know, started the pipeline. Went to Airborne school and I had a funny stories. I was only Corman to graduate from my class. And when orders came out. You know, you probably do the same thing in the army. You feel out a dream sheet, like where do you want to go? Right? And I had this girlfriend at the time. I was trying to, you know, put distance between and a nice person. I just just wanted to be free. So I put down every West East Coast team SIL team I could on my dream sheet, and of course I didn't get orders to the East Coast. I got orders to the West Coast, but uh the orders were weird because it wasn't like SIL Team three, Silteam one, SUL Team five. It was like some weird name, and uh, you know, the instructors are looking at me like, hmm, how did you get those orders? I'm like, dude, I only even know what this is. And so I went and talked to the Phase master chief and he said, hey, uh, that's uh, that's the cover name for Red Cell, right, So I don't know if you know what red Cell is, but that was the second Marsenko command that he created, and they were basically the real world kind of up a red team for security, for defenses and things like that for bases, and that kind of went sideways a little bit right after that. But so they sat me down, they said, hey, this is these are pretty awesome orders, but if you want my advice, I mean, you'll you'll have a lot of fun. You'll get a lot of really high speed schools, and you'll get a lot of calls and a bunch of things that you'll really enjoy, but you won't get the opportunity to learn how to be a good frogman. Ah okay, good seal Because you know, the pipeline was STT, which is now SQT. I mean back then most of us, as you probably know, would go to our team. He'd be on probation for six months or a year and a year sometimes longer depending and you went through advanced training seal tactical training, and you're evaluated by your peers basically. So it was it was one of those kind of things, which I think is a really good way of doing it. But anyways, they said, yeah, if you do that, you know you're not going to get the opportunity to really cut your teeth in the traditional way. And back then the teams were kind of geographically specialized. So I said, okay, sounds like good advice. But then when I talked to the detailer, He's like, yeah, you're going to stil Team five. And I'm like, it's like right next door, right, you know. And in Coronado and uh, seal teammate had just come on board. They just commissioned it and they needed corman. So I swapped with a guy and went out to seal teammate, drove my Volkswagen bus all the way across the United States with everything I owned, straight to Airborne School and subsequently to Virginia Beach.
Speaker 3: And create the distance with the girlfriend that you needed at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think you did. I don't know how much further I kind of went. And to be to be quite honest with that, she was a great person. I just wasn't you know how women? Sure? Young? You were young? You were young? Yeah? And hot?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Muscular? Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 5: You're like a lot of like a lot of women deserve all this, Like I can't be selfish and just deprived of this little slice of heaven exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was there was a lot to conquer still, but it was it was good. Yeah, there's along the way, I had some pretty cool adventures just uh was one. Getting from getting from there to Virginia Beach was another, and et cetera. So that nothing real outstanding.
Speaker 3: I guess, well that's that's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's let's hear a little bit more about what it was like at steal teammate. I mean, you said you were one of the plant owners of that team, since they were just standing it up when you got there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's something I didn't really realize at the time because I always thought plant owners were like the people that were on the roster when they actually broke the champagne bottle of ship. Right. But but technically, if you're one of the first people to go there within a I guess it's within a year, first year or whatever, you know, where they're filling out the roster. The billets Yere Plank Conner show. I haven't really pursued that, like I'd like to get, you know, some certificate or piece of wood or something. But yeah, so I show up at Virginia Beach and you know, back then, I don't know if you've ever been to Naval Amphibious Space a little creek, but it's changed a lot, of course, But it was just Seal Team four, Team two and STB two were there. Teammate was brand new, and I remember going through the gate and asking someone, Hey, where's Seal teammate? And the guard said, go down here and make a left all the way to the end. Make another right. You'll be right there. Turn the corner and I see the signs and I see the compound on the left and it's the right it's the teams, but on the right it's a bunch of like a chain link fence and a bunch of trailers trailer park, and that was teammate went in and checked in, and it was it was an interesting time back in eighty nine ninety because a bunch of the guys who were there were had just come back from Persian golf, so they did Iran a jar and you know those ops that that a certain guy named Malcolm says he did, but he didn't. Uh yeah. So we had this really kind of a unique mix of folks there some basically it was known as Dump eight at the time, right, so that's where you kind of like cast off all your you know, free agents that that you want to get rid of your problem kids. At the same time, there was a bunch of guys who were really solid who volunteered to go because they wanted to be part of creating a dug. So we had this really eclectic mix of folks. And to give you an example of what I mean by colectic, we're in we're at ranks for quarters one morning and Exo's up there doing give them the plan of the day, and all of a sudden you hear some of these guys like yelling, and all of a sudden, whack. I look down the line. There's these guys are in a fistfight, right, you know, like at the end of the line, just beating each other up. And you know it's over a woman, of course, you know, that's how it works. And I'm like, oh, wow, this is awesome. What do I get myself into? But you know, over time, you know, being in the first platoons was it was fun, you know, it was really cool to learn from some really great talented guys and started to point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what were the deployments like back then?
Speaker 2: I mean, like some of the I mean you're talking about nineteen nineties now, late eighties, early nineties.
Speaker 3: And that's when Charlie Sheen was the Sealed nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: Some of the guys a little bit before that would say that, you know, back back in those days, the Seal teams were basically, you know, a mask, pair of fins, a snorkel, a weight belt, and a k bar knife and not not a whole lot else. But what was your experience like when when you started to playing with seal teammate?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it actually my first platoon was h was a marg so we actually got spun up to go to Desert Storm, Desert Shield, Dessert Storm, So that was what ninety ninety one, right, ninety was Desert Shield. Yeah, And meanwhile, at the same time was the invasion of Panama, so some of the other teams were you know, silking Ford was was doing that and we had some some guys get killed down there. My roommate at the time, uh was a sixty gunner and one of the squads that took the tier airfield. He took around. Luckiest guy in the world. I mean, he took around like imagine you're running and you got your your legs hot up in the air and the round went onunderneath his thigh, missed his balls by an inch and came out the other end of his his ass. And when he came back, of course I like to tell him the story because I had to like change his dressings all the time so I can stick and his ass the whole time changing it. Uh but uh yeah, so we were we thought we missed our chance to go to war, because that's what the mindset was back then. It's like, dang, are we ever going to go? You know that kind of thing, like everyone and we scrambled. We deployed to go to Turkey and the they started the shock and aw, I guess it was, you know, the air war part. And by the time we get to inter Lick, it was over right. So it was like we're handing out MRI's to courage and not trying to step on mines and stuff like that. Pretty uneventful, but we had a fun time in the med for the rest of the six months. So you're basically on a marg you're with a mew breen Uh expeditionary unit. And we got off the ship a lot because we had things bilats and j sets and training set up. So we had a lot of fun which we trained a lot with other counterparts, the French, Spanish, the Turks. We did Bright Star in Egypt. What a shit show that is? Man on the Yeah, yeah, it's funny. There's a We did a jump, you know, one of the one of the things to do is that kind of combined thing where you do parachute jumps static line jumps in the desert. And this might have been in another platoon, but I remember we were in a see one thirty and the Egyptians must have just like said on their base said, hey go get a parachute, you're going to jump with these guys, right, And so we get up there. Everybody snaps in because it wasn't prey fall, it's just a static line and you could tell none of them had ever jumped before and were literally kicking them out the back of the point, right. It was hilarious, right, And of course we went out to and yeah, so we had you know, that was kind of Shenanigan's but it was it was good. That's when you back then you felt like a sailor, which I think is kind of cool. Yeah, it's a lost art these days. You know. You we didn't have internet. You know, the you know mail call was a big deal. Yeah, uh perfume and other things inside, yeah, packages and you and selling Copenhagen for twenty dollars a can to ships board, stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Getting a big package of rum cake, you know that it's like dowst and rum yeah yeh.
Speaker 4: Or like my sister would send me Listerine. Yeah, Jim Beam in it. So it was lister Beam right, you know that kind of stuff. So, I mean, you know, typical Shenanigans, but uh got it, got to experience part of the part of the world and uh maybe a story of to a pop into my head from then I just felt, you know.
Speaker 3: It was it was yeah, you're living a life. Yeah.
Speaker 4: That was my first deployment. So and then uh spun right back around and got ready to do another one. And so the second platoon was a strike platoon at the time, it was uh which was was based on a carrier instead of with the Marines, and so we all got free fall called we all. I was a bunch of high speed guys. I mean it was stacked platoon of you know, the airlready had two three four deployments and we were on the John F. Kennedy deployed on that and the probably don't remember this, but the Saratoga was the this carrier we were leaving and they were off station off of Interlick I believe no, Yeah, they were off Turkey and they were doing some kind of exercise. And this is when someone on the Saratoga, like fire control guys, shot a missile and hit a Turkish ship, you know, killed some dudes. And so when we get there to do turnover, we hung this big sign off the side of the Kennedy saying, you know, don't shoot us kind of thing, many sheets and we just had a blast doing that me and ended up doing some fun stuff in Africa and just tooling around. But living on a carrier was it was a pretty good life I actually can consider compared to living on a on a ship that you know, a barg Yeah, pinionship.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, I want to tell you about the sponsor for tonight's show, which is true Work. They make performance work where that's built like it matters, because it does. In the fall, the weather change is real fast. It can be hot, cold, wet, windy, sometimes aldering one shift. So you want performance work where that will carry you through the entire day, like these pants that I'm wearing here today.
Speaker 3: True Work was.
Speaker 2: Founded by a trade professional who is tired of wet, heavy gear weighing him down. True Work set out to make work where that keeps professionals comfortable, capable, and ready for whatever the day throws at them. They're designed with advanced performance fabrics for lasting comfort, all day mobility, in year round job site protection. Every piece is tested on job sites with trade professionals, so in conditions change, you're still ready. This product right now has over fifty thousand and five star reviews from professionals and every trade and every climate. So I really enjoy wearing these pants. I think you will too. I hope you'll go check them out. This is the T two meter work pant. It's durable, flexible, water resistant. The thing I really like is that they're stretchy, Like this is something like you could even like, actually work out in if you really wanted to. But certainly during the workday when you're bending over and crouching over and picking things up. These are very comfortable. It also has like some like a ligning inside, so it's comfortable, you know, around your hips and your belt would go. They also make the M three wood be Hoodie, which is wind resistant, insulated and very comfortable. And they make the Tower Parka, which is a fully weatherproof and insulated jacket designed for cold, wet job sites. And they also have a line of flannel shirts that I hope you guys will go and take a look at. So upgrade your day with workwear built like it matters. Get fifteen percent off your first order at truework dot com with the code house that's t r U e W e r K dot com and the promotion code to get fifteen percent off his house.
Speaker 4: H o U S.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, Drew, kick it back over to you.
Speaker 2: Like Somewhere around this timeframe, there was well we already mentioned Navy Seals with Charlie Sheen and Michael Bean, but there was another Navy Seal movie coming out with Demi Moore called g I Jane. And you'd said that you had a g I Jane story to lay on us.
Speaker 4: Oh you how about that? There you go, I gotcha getting to use this use to this board here. Well, first, maybe maybe I should tell you my Navy Seals story first. Okay, go for it, because that was you know, let's be chronologically accurate. So I'm a new guy, mccormyan a lot to learn and paid for it dearly. A lot of the things I did wrong during STT. I don't know if you're allowed to say hazing, but that was you writes of passage.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know the physical correction.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly. So I was cocky to say the least. I had a jeep c J shaven, you know, lifted and everything, and I thought i'd be cool to like get a personalized license plate, you know, real real smart move five and as a for a thing. So I got this played that said sealed doc right, and I co driving into through work one day and didn't last long. I we're like eighty monsf we go, let's have a talk, right, So, about an hour and a half after being in the dip tank riggers taped up breathing through a snorkel kind of thing, got the message. I don't know if you've ever seen that or not. But yeah, you know, you can dip your rig and a dip tank and see if it's see if it's leaking air. It also works you can put a guy into there and you just rigor tape a snorkel to his mouth so you can breathe. Yeah, so I got rid of that. But so it's what this would be in I'm going back a little bit. This will be eighty nine. This was I was. I was in this bar watching the World Series as the A's and the Yankees, I think, and I'm sitting at the bar just paying attention to the game, and I looked down at the end and I'm like, fuck, I know that guy from some place right, And it turns out it was trying to wrap my brains who he was at the time, but it was Michael Bean.
Speaker 6: If you know him or not, Yeah he was. He played the ceiling like, yeah, he was Corporal Hicks. And I come, yeah, so Michael Bean's down there and.
Speaker 4: I don't know, We're only like two stools away and we're talking about the game and whatnot, and he says, hey, so what do you do? And I go, I'm the Navy, and he goes, really, what are you doing. Yeah, I'm I'm in the teams or really And I said, yeah, what do you doing? I said him a corman? And he goes, really, he introduced himself and he said, you know, we're talking more. And I just finished like the short course eighteen delta, right, so I know I was stick things and you know, the goat the gold labor because back and we didn't have the pipeline, so it was.
Speaker 3: Like the traumas the trauma.
Speaker 4: Here's the trauma met Yeah. Yeah, yeah, so you know you're carrying around this awesome you know, bed bag and just hoping people have car crashes in front of you so you so you can cry them exactly. Yeah. Yeah, you were in two large varieties whatever. Yeah. So he says, you know, after we talked for a while, he says, hey, would you mind like like meeting us over at our hotel coming days. I want you to look at the script we're doing. We're doing a film, a movie, and it's just they lost their director or changed their writers or something like that. So it was I said, sure, you know, to do local, you know, real reality kind of check on because what's his name? Rick Rossovich was playing played the corman remember Rick with from Top Gun, right, yeah, and uh he was Iceman's Iceman's yeah. Yeah. So I go there and remember reading the script and I'm like it was just cheesy, like this is when the chief gets shot or somebody gets shot, and they you know, they do some bullshit stuff and then they close his eyes. He's going all kind of stuff like, well, that's not exactly how we do it, right, we do this, this and this, And I kind of demonstrated you know, full sweep and air away and all that kind of stuff, and made some they made some script changes and and then you know, that kind of comes out later on in the in the film to a degree. I mean some of it got cut, but but uh, prior to that, back to the bar, incomes Charlie Sheen. That's right, I forgot this part. Incomes Charlie Sheen with his freaking entourage with people, and uh, they're you know, women and stuff, and I'm like, yeah, hey, what's up? You know, you know, typical like, yeah, who are you? I don't care, right, you know, And it was I think because I didn't care. I mean, I knew who he was, but you know, you kind of hit it off and and one thing. Let to know that. Then I went the next a couple of days, went over to their thing and we wrote, helping me write some of the scenes in the script. And uh so that's that's, that's my contribution to Navy seals. I didn't you know, ah, when there's a gun running, gun battle and a couple of guys get killed, you know, Rick at least tries to do the right thing, right, he used the right verbiage and all that kind of stuff. So so there's that. And I never told anybody about that because I was already in kind of on the on the fence anyways with thee my own Yeah, yeah, I was giving enough trouble, you know, them home on accident and my roommates like, what the fuck is this? And you know, sorry for the language.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an adult show, so don't hold back.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just got to my lips.
Speaker 3: What are you drinking tonight there, Drew.
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't plan on drink can sasaac, but okay, I was gonna do one of those other ones back there. You have a nice collation back there. That's that's a tip of the iceberg, bro. I mean, this is this is this is my wife's office. Okay, I had to like throw ship into props in here like to so you wouldn't see all the World Bank development.
Speaker 3: Going on here, all the new World Orders stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, to be honest with you, she's she's a rock star at the world back and I probably wouldn't say because now whatever kill you.
Speaker 4: But she's an expert in frog and corruption, anti money laundering, lives an exciting life.
Speaker 3: I bet.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So back to that actually happened before Second Deployment I think. And then coming back to the Second deployment, g I Jane, that movie came out, I think it was early nineties. Yeah, and we knew that they were shooting some scenes in Virginia Beach, a couple of them. And so every year the Sealed Community, Naval Special Warfare, including you know, Swick and everybody who supports them, they do a reunion on both coasts different times. But it's at Little It's and it's like starts on the meetinghouse on Friday, you know, you it's a Chiefs club. That's wherever he meets, and you know there's a whole lot of good times there drinking and then Saturdays, you know, various events like uh, there's a demonstration, there's a run, there's a swim you know where kids and everybody can run in that different classes and then categories. Saturday night is a oh and we do a KPEX kind of demonstration, you know where I did a bunch of those where bass rope in and snipers come out of the water and you know, things like that for the for the families. And then in the evening on Saturday is the beach party. So it's at the Officers Beach. I think I don't know if it's still his anymore. I think it's in forts story now, so it might be different. But and we'd heard rumors that that she was going to come. What's her name, DEMI mere me to me, to me more to me, it's like Kamala, I can't say it right whatever to me mour was coming. And so sure enough, you know, at midnight or eleven thirty or whatever, we're all kind of like hammered. Anyways, she ends up showing up, and she's got like four older frogmen, retired dudes who are escort and around kind of their bodyguard escort kind of thing, so she can navigate the you know the environment, and let's just say. It wasn't real popular, right, I mean, people weren't real excited, yah, yeah to see her. And uh, you know, so I remember looking ours with some guys and I said, I'm gonna go get her a beer. So I went over and got a beer red solo cup, brought it over to her. I said hey to me, and I was smoking cigar or something. You're gonna be a if you're you're gonna be a seal. Here, here, have a beer, you know, drink a beer with me. And she's like, oh, I don't. I don't drink, and uh, I was like, oh really, So I just had it and I wanted it at her and I just turned it upside down and dumped it on her feet and just dropped the solo cup and wopped away right now. I mean, I don't think I meant to drop it one. I meant to just pour it out there, but I was kind of wobbly, and uh walked back to my guys and uh, you know, that was it. And then later on, you know, kind of came back years later, a couple of years ago where other guys were talking about that, and he said, you know, yea, I heard about that I know if it's true, and yeah, that was true, but you know, nothing happened. I an't get in trouble or anything. But I just feel like that's you know, they're going to be you want to be a team guy or team gal or what you gotta you gotta play the part man.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, so you tell that like her not drinking was was more was more unbelievable. It was more unbelievable than her being a woman.
Speaker 4: Frog. I wish I could remember more. There was more to it, but I think I might have even been I'm probably being kinder now and retelling the story.
Speaker 3: And kind of yeah about kind of yourself you mean or to her?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, because there was more dialogue but.
Speaker 3: You know, some slur language going back and forth.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it was respectful, but you know, still, you know what it was.
Speaker 3: What what did you think of the feature film, Drew?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't remember if I watched the whole thing or not, because it was so I mean, at least Sheen and Bean's navy seal. There was there was things that were accurate, right right. The thing about that movie that's it's generally accurate is we pride ourselves on the East coast. Let's just put it this way. The West coast seals right, and there's a lot of they're all great, everybody's the same, but they like to surf. You talk about hairjel you know that's them. Uh yeah, yeah, yeah, they're you know, they're they like to do all that kind of stuff. And they even put out a calendar. This was hilarious back in the like early nineties, this calendar, and it had all these beefcake shots of these guys, right, and we just never let them live live it down right, because it was like a fundraiser of deal and a bunch of guys. I went through buds with it, and of course we made find like hey, if you're on the East Coast, our calendar would be picture of a guy jumping out of a second story bedroom window because the you know, the boyfriend came home or you know, up against the wall getting arrested by the cops or pulled over for d u I or something like that. That's that would be like more of the East Coast stuff. And yeah, so that I forgot what I was going to say about that.
Speaker 6: You know, you're a question that that that the Navy Seals Seals Yeah, ok, yeah, Seal Team or the Navy Seal movies.
Speaker 4: So you know they do a fairly because that was written by Chuck Farr, I think, you know so who used to be in the teams. Yeah, because he also.
Speaker 3: Did d he wrote a bunch of he did.
Speaker 4: He did yeah, And and it's it's not his fault that the movie turned out the way it did, because you know, it's always budget, it's always director, it's always you know, a bunch of other people can can influence things. But there was some things that were you know, I don't think and little little you know, clip claven worthless bit of information. The scene where Charlie jumps out of the back of the CG seven going across the bridge to Portsmuth into the water. If you if you watch that again you can see it. The stuntman kind of didn't enter the water the right way and end up getting hurt pretty good. Really. Yeah, there's back or something like that, but you know, it just kind of like and then the golf course stuff is classic and all that, but G I. Jane just seemed to be just way too contrived. I mean, they couldn't even simulate buds, right, yeah, you know it was.
Speaker 2: It was terrible, crazy and if Ego Mortensen in that movie, yeah, confronting to me in the showers.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, it's like, yeah, you know that. That's so you've seen the movie. I have seen the feature film. Yes, there's a whole seer school scene in there. Yeah, but I digress, I digress. Let's get back.
Speaker 4: So we want to hear this stuff.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to Drew. Drew, what was what was deployment number three? Like, are we getting towards the point where the Balkans are starting to come up on your radar?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so let's see second platoon the Balkans. Yes, it was the early nineties, so that was a full scale war going on. We actually did the G and C. The carrier did sorties into the war zone at the time, right into the Balkans while they were still fighting, and we did, you know, a couple of little vanilla kind of recon things, but they were just there were nothing to speak of thinking. But mostly we were there for trap, you know, like if playing with down, we were supposed going to be the crew to go help get the pilot, and uh, there was a pilot shot down but the Marines did that that mission from US uh oh what's it called there? Right? The Air Force base?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: Was that was?
Speaker 9: That?
Speaker 3: Was that when Scott O. Grady got shot down?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yep. And so we didn't get to do that, but but that was like, as your partner can attest to you, that was a suitcase full of cash kind of exchange. You know, the movies say, you know, do have one version but the oh really yeah, I mean yeah, there's more of a more of a greed kind of thing. But you know, prior to that actually taking place, there was some you know, real world stuff going on, people looking for him and everything. So that second deployment on the carrier, we didn't uh, we did a lot of that. But so Balkans was on my radar. Yugoslavia came back then that was still teammate. I screened for dam Neck at the time and got selected, but I was also let's see, how make sure we get this right. Yeah, so I didn't know what I was going to get. And the orders came out to go to Gray Green, which would have been the boats, but I was on deployment, so it was on the carrier and they had a policy at the command not to take guys off mid deployment to come, you know, so that you know, just lucky to draw at that point. So I got back, re screened and got a positive screening. But at the time I was at E six Corman, they had just kind of retooled the whole pipe line for becoming a chief. You know, I had to have eighteen Delta qualification or or Navy I d C school independ to do the Corma school. So I went out to actually I went out to dl I first, that's right, and I came back and screened. But so I went out to dl I learned French Ish.
Speaker 3: How amazing is dl I when you're an enlisted specofs.
Speaker 4: Guy, dude. I tried every way to extend out there. I could, right, you know, it's like, oh, can I take intermediate French or no, can I take advance or whatever? Can I break my foot or whatever? But I learned a golf out there, and it's just it's so beautiful. Yeah, you know, it's monitoring Carmel or just Pacific grower, which is awesome. Yeah. That came back and that's when I guess that's when Haiti happened ninety four, right, went to Seal Team five. All right, I'm sorry stil Team too. So I went from teammates and in the in the process, in the meantime, teammate had they had a proper compound built, you know, we we'd be you know, we were normal by then, you know, by the by the end of our deployments, my deployments there had proper compound, establishing a reputation. It was all good. Checked into Team two and that was like, I'm really in the teams now, you know. It was awesome. The uh it's just Rudy Bosh was the command master chief, you know, and it was like, you know, you'd walk around and be like, uh, check the watch built, you know, because if your hair wasn't cut right, you're you're on weekend duty and stuff like that. I mean, it didn't matter where you came from. Even in even a regular team guy. I mean, they were gentle, gentler in welcoming you than than a brand new guy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: With that was always fun orders to see a new guy check in and truss blues and it's like the command master chief and the exo would be like, say, hey, so and so walk up here and introduce yourself and they say I'm seeing it. They shut up, you know that kind of thing, and then they walk away. And it was a scheme one welcome, welcome, and mean them to the command. But yeah, Team two was to this day I it's it was the lore and uh you know one of the original two teams. They have a great Vietnam history. And I was just just stellar performers. It was like the Triple A Club for for Damn Neck basically, you know, so you know, they were recruited out of there heavily, and they had like a pipeline going so guys would rotate from from Damn Neck you know, to training and platoons and then passing knowledge on. But my first platoon there, let's see in between between that platoon and after d L I, I didn't j c O mission in the Balkans. I don't know if you know what that is, jack Joint Commission Observer. So they had just declared the ceasefire okay in in Yugoslavia, Cirpska and all that. So NATO or SPUR was going into you know, carve it up and they had the British sector of tie sector for yeah, I think these. Yeah, so it was true. It was really an s F eighteen mission, right, but they didn't have enough guys, so they would, you know, let us play. So one or two of us per house would would pair up and go living on in a house in the different sectors Bonya, Luca, everywhere, Tusla, you know, all the all the different places, and the s F guys did their s F you know, i W stuff and what was cool about it While everybody else in the whole AO was in full battle rattle and kevlar and helmets and body arm and all that. We were driving around thin skin vehicles with turps, just wearing cameis with no idea on them and maybe a pistol, and we go anywhere we want, We blew past every checkpoint in the country, just did whatever we wanted to do. And then they did their collection and stuff and it was it was basically the mission was, you know, collect information that might be intel and established relationships, you know, kind of figure out stuff and then you know, the precursor to some stuff that our cousins were already doing. We you know, kind of in the open helped them out with that. But it was a great time. Tenth group. Again, that was my first exposure to those guys. I wish I could remember their names, but we were in the Sarajevo house, which was actually on the ser side. So I don't know how familiar you are with the with the conflict or not. But what was telling What was really amazing about Sarajevo when I went there's uh that it was they still had snipers and they still had the occasional stuff going on, but you could really tell who had the most arms by the condition of what side of town you were in because it was just destroyed and being on the Serbian side, you know, they did what the what the Serbs did is they displaced a lot of people. They just basically came and said, hey, we're taking your house. You can go live in Croatia. Beat it, you know, that kind of thing, and some family would take it over. But uh, it was it was a really interesting time, you know, just driving around with those guys and working with them, and at the same time we you know, got to move around doing other things. So that was a that was a fun time. The j c O Mission. Sometimes I forget about that, uh, but that really kind of opened me, opened my eyes to kind of what was really going on, the ethnic cleansing, and then you know the post Tito world and you know the influence of this, you know the Soviet Union once the Soviet Union fallen, just how how that affected different uh parts of the world. So let's see. So back to Team too, did a deployment there went We actually left early for that. This is when Momboto Seiko okay, he was the leader of what used to be called zaiir H. There was a civil war going on and the embassy and uh serially no in capital of u Zaire. Oh yeah, why can't I think of that? I think a Sasarak moment right now. Anyway, we had to go early because there was that going on, it was unstable, they're thinking about doing the neo. And then also Serial Leon was was a shit show too, So I mean that's just like everybody who's been an s F guy or a Team guy in the in the nineties has been to either Seria Leone or Liberia, right, you know, because they kept collapsing. So we went early. We got on the USS care starge, my squad with six eight other seven other guys and the and the LT. So the way they broke up a sealed platoon is sixteen guys. You have an AOI O I see who's usually a tenant uh three, and then an ao I C he's going to be an O two or you know usually or a hard charge in O one. And then you have a chief and uh leading petty officer. So I was leading petty officer, which which is he six? Help ill? So I pair up with the lieutenant my squad, Alpha squad, and then Bravo squad. It was you know, they paired up with the chief, the chief and and the AOS. So my squad leaves two weeks early. We get on the care Sarage and steam full speed over to West Africa to Zaire and uh we wait for you know what we're going to do. We did an intel mission, which is kind of training, but no one knew where the guy was. Right, he had left the country because he's you know, was wanted by the Hague and everybody else. But but things were going south. The Marines were planning a non combatant evacuation operation across the river in Brazzaville, in Cootevar, and the we were wondering what we were going to do. So remember divots for divots, the sat com thing where you could go take photos and then blast them back over.
Speaker 2: It was like it was like a very early form of yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So we just had to get off the ship. So we we just convinced. We convinced the pops officer a look, you know, let's go do this thing and in in uh point in Noir. It's just like this little town right on the Atlantic to this airfield and we go there and land. You know, we get some some marine heels bring us to this place and drop us off. We're taking pictures all these old megs like make fifteens, make seventeens or you know, just rotten away on this airfield. And we were bored, bored. F aug Man's a dangerous thing. So we my leathermen. I broke into one of those cockpits and took a bunch of gyroscopes and instruments out of there souvenirs. But while we're sitting, you know, okay, we're gonna do our training, we take some pictures or Intel specialists guy on the team, he's got his big camera out and this seven O seven I think or seven sixty so I don't know what it was. Some big plane lands on the other side of the airfield and he's looking through hist his camera and he sees they opened the door and it's like all this gold stuff's inside there, like gold handles and you know, really ornate. Well, it just turns out that that was the president of the country, the dictator about to Hasey Sayclo's plane, and we accidentally found where he was because he you know, he's leaving the country and they were getting fuel or whatever. We sent it back and and so it's happenstance. But that was the extent of what we did there. Marines actually did more. But in the meantime stuff started going sideways and I always get him mixed up. I apologize, library are serial leone. So we had to zoom up there and evacuate the embassy and brought a bunch of people off the neo there. But the fun part, the interesting part of this whole thing is right, so the MAGTAF the new commander is a Marine. He's six and the Navy guy who's running the ship is uh, you know obviously in six to two as well. So in the Navy, if you're at sea for more than thirty days, you get a beer ration, right, and we were at sea for sixty five days. We only people to get off the ship by the time we did get off, where before that was our squad and the Marines that actually went to the embassy and we crossed the If you cross the equator in the Navy, you're what's known as a shellback. If you heard of that ceremony, yeah that okay, Well we crossed the equator at the primary so we crossed at zero zero zero zero, which makes you the most unique shell back in the world. Right, so you have a special neptune, you have a special ceremony, and uh that's you know, another fun time. But for whatever reason, they didn't want to give us a beer ration. So now we're like, hey, we're two and a half. What the what the f? You know, we do all our work. Ship cruises north. The first place we're going to pull into port is the Canary Islands. So it's like the way they do it in the in the Navy. Right. You they set I don't know if you guys ever been on ship, but they set what's called seeing anchor detail. So that's you know, you have the cruise divided up into two or three ships and see an anchor. Those are the guys who manned the ship and and take care of when it comes into port, getting it all tied up. And then they do you know, they have to have certain manning on the ship and then embarked company. Can they get liberty call? And I thought, ah, you know, my my squad was like, yeah, we're gonna go out. I'm like, I'm gonna stick around. Me and a couple of guys are just gonna stick around. We'll go. We'll go in the next liberty. So the Canaries are are just like sick you know, that's where everybody goes. You know, that's where all the reality kind of shows are film from England, you know, the all that stuff, real destination place. And so I thought, I'm gonna go down to the Sick Bay and work with the junior Corman down there because I had already finished Independent Duty Cormer School, which is a year long basically your pas so to speak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's of course that people don't know about that much, but it's they don't like it's it's it's like the eighteen Delta course, only it's geared more for like civilized medicine and not so much like what you might encounter in the village. But it's very comprehensive.
Speaker 4: Yeah to that point. It's so i'd done the at the time. We didn't know in the teams, we didn't know. You know, it's all it's all fixed.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 4: You go to JFK, you know, you go to the schoolhouse, you know, you get the same training. But we went they sent us to ninety one Bravo right early because they didn't know it, and it was like basically going to Cormany school all over time. So I'm in San Antonio for that as a young guy with three other two other frog men, junior guys, and I don't even know if I had my trident at that time or not yet maybe I did. Anyway, San Antonio is the wrong place to send you young seals who you know, who already know this stuff. Right.
Speaker 3: It's a medical campus, right, but it's also just the most target rich environment in the world, because it's that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's like everything from med school to every mos that teaches any kind of medicine, and the Air Force and then and the Army is there, right and while we were there. It's I remember, you know, the first couple of formations, you know how that you know how they have that formation for a formation in the morning.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: It's like you like you wake up and you're there and you're like, what's what's going on. They're like, they're just going to tell us when the next formation is and we'll go to child. I'm like, what the fuck do we get up for if you just tell us what time to be ready to go? Really that kind of thing. And then one day it's like we're we look outside, it's rain and so we put on our cortex jackets, go outside and it's raining, and everybody else is like, doesn't have anything on? Why don't you have rain gear on? There? Like because no one told us to put our punchos on. And I'm like, what do you mean no one told you to put your punch on? It's raining, you know, It's like did people have to tell you that? You know, it's a lot of junior guys. So it was just kind of like our our introduction to it. So essentially it was like at that point we figured out, okay, this is how we get around this. We went to the first sergeant of our company. I guess it is Dave. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 5: It was because it was basically you were going you were already a corman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you were going to basically the A I. T Or A School of the army for their medics and you're like, what what is going on here?
Speaker 4: Right? Like you're not teaching me anything, right, right? So they had this pool, its outdoor pool there and it was like the wintertime so it wasn't open. So we convinced that first sergeant, hey, we have to maintain our swim or swim calls. And uh he's like, well okay, yeah, I see he was, so, well, we'll just uh what we're gonna do is you know, every morning or we're going to go swim in the pool and then we'll just meet the company at the chow hall, right, which meant we would just could stay out later and then just you know, take a shower and go to chow hall like that, you know, normal civilized hour. We actually tried, we actually tried to do it actually for real, but it was so damn cold, Like we were like, yeah, now we're just gonna just milk this thing and the other thing. I remember that that I can speak about openly is well, the one thing about the army back then is there's a lot of smokers, right, and so whenever they we take a break, you know, these guys would rush outside and start smoking, and we're like bored. You know, what, are we gonna do push ups? You know whatever. So one weekend we're like, okay, let's let's go build some pull up bars outside the place, right, So we went to home depot and bought four by fours and some cement and some keep or some pipe doug holes and put two different height pull up pull up bars right outside. And it was like remember that scene in Planet of the Apes when when the monkeys see the the apes see the monolith. Oh that's two thousand and one one. Yeah, yeah, sorry, uh, two thousand and one where they're like looking at it like what the you know they're touching. And it was like Monday, and people were like looking at these pull up bars like they where those come from? And so we, you know, on breaks, we go out and do pull ups. You know, we're young, young guys, still like in the best shape of our lives, just out of buds and everything. But yeah, that was that was. That was a fun time. Ended up getting out of there and then anyway, getting back to back to the story, I'm in the Canaries and I'm an id c and in these quad zeros. You know, that's just that's just a corman in the Navy who doesn't have any particular specialty like rady, like radiology tech or respiratory therapist or whatever. And I swear to god, we set seeing Anchor. We were at the Brow. The gangway went down at like two o'clock, between two and three. By six o'clock, sure patrol was bringing drunk marines and sils. Okay, because we've been at sea for sixty five days, right, and people just were like, I'm getting hammered, right, So people were coming back and they were passing out. So we just were like bringing in a sick bay. And I was teaching teaching these young guys. Okay, what's the unconscious protocol? God't know what that is, right, because you don't know what's wrong with this guy, and he could be a diabetic. You could you know, you could be on drugs whatever. So I'm gonna teach you the unconscious protocol, which basically was I'm going to teach the patient not to do that again. Right, So two large bore ivs nisel aharyngeal uh you're wreath uh cather you know you're wreath the cather.
Speaker 5: Well it starts with that sternal rub right, oh yes, yeah, right, right, you do that.
Speaker 4: You know, sess uh whatnot? And you know, of course they're going to throw up whatever. Right, So the captain the surgeon comes in. This six Naval medical Navy officers doctor comes in. He's like, hey, h what are you doing. I go, hey, we're just doing some training, sir, what do you mean training? Yeah, well, you know these guys are coming back and they're unconscious and you know, they're drunk and whatever. I'm teaching the young guys how to do ivs and you know, how to do catheters and nasal fare and airways and you know, blah blah blah. And he goes, you can't do that. You can't, you can't, you can't do invasive. You know this is what you do in the teams, right, you do it to each other right all the time. But uh, I mean I didn't get in trouble or anything. But he's like, yeah, good, good initiative. Bad maybe not quite the best judgment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyway, that story goes to where like, okay, it's like you had to be back depending on your rank at a certain time on the ship. You know, if you're a chief. The chiefs went out seven, so they went out and rented hotel room. So you know, they had they had a base of operation out there. They did it right. Chiefs mass always did it right. Everybody else had to be like for E six, you had to be back by two or something like that. And the next day, of course, you have to submit a mustard mustard report for your guys. So you know, I wake up and like four of the racks, four or five of the racks were empty, Like my guys didn't come back. I'm like, fuck, you know, but I ran into some chiefs and at breakfast and they're.
Speaker 9: Like, hey man, we ran into your guys. You know the awesome We partied with them all night. You know, they're blah blah blah. And I'm like, okay, you know, so I knew they were alive. But I had this dilemma, Right, do I fill out the the muster report right that you know the guys are here president or not?
Speaker 4: Right? Right, Yeah, I thought, yeah, all present account for handed it in, you know, because they you know, otherwise balloons start going up and everything. And I this guy is friend of mine, Paul, who ended up going to the command and doing like fifteen years there. Paul, let's go do those guys, and uh went out in town and found them, you know, they were still drinking and everything, and they could see me coming from from away down the street and they're like, oh, Andy's pissed, and like, motherfuckers, Man, I had a false fire muscle report. And you're you're lucky you're alive, because it wouldn't be if I, you know, And I said, here's the deal. You're my bitches for the rest of the deployment, right, That's how it's going to work. And uh, you know, it was all good after that, and they were I mean, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean to get us some context.
Speaker 5: It puts you in a predicament because you know, you don't you don't want to rat your dudes out for just being out drinking all night. But if one if one of them got seriously hurt or had gone missing, and you say, yeah, he's president and accounted for, and then all of a sudden he ends up like dead and some ali you know, then it comes back on you.
Speaker 3: So what's uh, Drew? I want to ask you.
Speaker 2: You're making your way through the seal teams here, Yeah, you kind of you kind of I don't want to say got screwed over, but I mean as far as like where you were at in your career, it was very difficult for you to make that transition over to damn Neck without really getting kind of screwed over.
Speaker 3: So you kind of missed that opportunity.
Speaker 2: What when did this thought come into your mind or this realization that like, hey, there's this entire other endeavor out there in special operations that I could potentially go and assess for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad you riled me in Jack. It's that's a good point because I don't want to sound like someone guy who's making people jump off the channel right now. But when that happened, I had some good, good senior guys at the command at the team who had been over over to tow or to dam Nick and they said, hey, you know there's other places you can go, So just to give context and then I'll move I'll jump into that. Sure my second time after this deployment I'm talking about right now. This is my fourth deployment. Fifth. Actually, when I got back, it was like, hey, I went back to the command and they're like, yeah, you're in E six, you're a korman. But here's the thing. If you go through Green Team, we're not going to cut you loose to go to eighteen delta because even though I was an id C, to get advanced, you know, you had to check the other blocks because you're competing against every other corman in this in this society, and said, we're gonna need our two years of of use before we can you know, and they might put you off cycle for chief, right And and that's kind of like when I'm like, ah, you know, and they were, you know, they were like, you know, it's one thing to and you know how it is they like to grow their own h enlisted dudes before they become chief, because then you're a boat crew leader, you know, and if you've not cut your teeth on you know, a bunch of deployments as as a team got team member you know, a unit or a squad remember or troop troop member, then you know you're kind of like not you don't have the corporate knowledge to be troop chief.
Speaker 3: So just out of curiosity, I don't mean to derail you, but I'm curious, how did uh damnet deal with corman then at that time, because it's really hard to grow your own corman, especially since you can't really it's tough to make East seven as a corman without I D C or whatever like, So how did they do that? How did they manage that?
Speaker 4: That's a good question, you know, And a lot of guys didn't care, you know. Some guys are like, hey, I want to be Assaulter, you know, So it didn't it didn't matter, so they.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't compete for promotion in order to go damnac.
Speaker 4: Basically, I think I think you definitely got looked at differently by the because Navy. Why back then it was it was in the Navy chiefs, senior master chiefs, whatnot who who picked people and for advancement to chief It still is, but but now we have our own special Operations Special Operator mls. So but so those guys, some of them would be like, yeah, it's going to be assalter I don't care. And then at some point someone would say, hey, you're you know you've been in a six too long. You need to go to Punch's ticket and get it. And you can, you know, because we want you to be a chief. We want you to be a leader. But back then it was just kind of it was in between the scene, kind of seams of advancement, so it was, you know, you had to kind of make your own decision on that. And yeah, I talked to some guys who told me about this unit back that time. It was called torn Victor that was its diagraph name or whatever you call it. And you know, they go back the union goes back to the uh what do.
Speaker 3: You call it, nineteen eighty operation eagle Claw?
Speaker 4: Eagle Claw exactly right, and uh even you know, some make the case back to the USS. So they told me about that, and up until that point they said, yeah, if you go, because these are guys who were at damn Neck and they knew about it because they worked with them. They said, you'd be you'd be a good fit up there. Blah blah blah. So I've made chief that year ninety eight, I went to soacon Or to soccer as a j thirty three chief ciliers on up there, and then found out and then I applied. I applied before, filled out a package for that for that smooth and UH. I thought I was going to come back to the team and be a platoon chief whatever, and they they selected me to go to assessment selection. So I went in ninety nine, early ninety nine, so March went out to UH went out to to Nevada and did the long walk and stuff and UH had a real good assessment selection got picked up by the By that at that time, there had only been one other seal who was there before me. There was there'd been a couple of other guys, but they were of like liaison guys or you know whatnot. So yeah, so ninety nine went to the went to the unit and did a year worth of what we call c Q c q T. You know, it's been called a bunch of different acronyms, but it's basically the you know, a year long trade craft slash stuff. So you it was a really I must say to this day, I love Buds. I loved everything about it. It was the hardest thing ever did at the time, but the assessment selection aspect of screening for the for the unit was the most rewarding thing I've ever done, because you don't get any feedback on any decision you make, you know, and a lot of people try to g to it, and you can tell g to it because I late years later, I ended up being Cadre. Right, So you're you're that Wizard of Oz guy behind the screen, right, you know how it all works, right, and then you you're able to see, you know, how people try to game it. You know when they're when they are not. But yeah, it was, it was awesome.
Speaker 3: Now, did you say that you were the first.
Speaker 5: This second seal, because they also know around that time that they started taking like rangers and they hadn't in the past. It was at the time had been sort of kind of an SF pipeline or whatever pipeline. Do you know, did you ever get any insight into why this particular lesson you decided to like broaden the the recruiting pool.
Speaker 4: That's a good question as to why they did. I think they realized that, you know, the Tenth Group Mafia was strong in UH in that unit for good reason. But but they also realized that they were having a hard time finding the right candidates just in the army, right, so they opened it up to the sister services and and you know, of course the leaps and bounds after Desert Storm took off, I mean after UH nine to eleven, just you know a lot of Marines and and but rangers, yeah, they you know, and some of the best guys I worked with were former rangers or rangers still you know, at the unit whatnot. You could see the pedigree in the senior n CEO guys were rangers, so as Yeah, I'm gonna speculate on that, but I but I believe it was just kind of like Manning issue. They wanted to grow more more troops in the squadron they had, you know, they have various levels of capability, you know, you know, and.
Speaker 5: It's it's interesting because we've also heard of another Army SMU that you know, used to recruit uh or like uh R D for instance, or RC that used to only recruit rangers and then started then made it like Army wide in the sense of, you know, sometimes the best people can come from places that we don't necessarily expect them to come from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so, especially when you you know, you're dealing with frogmen, because we're pretty non plussed about a lot of things sometimes, you know what I mean, like, uh yeah, whatever, you know that kind of attitude and that could be misread, you know, like you don't care and uh right.
Speaker 2: I wanted I wanted to ask you about that, Drew, Like, what was it like for you coming from being a frogman to suddenly Leord and all this different types of trade craft. I mean, it sounds like you had a little bit of exposure to to Clint DestinE operations, but moving into that and also moving from seal culture to Jason culture, was that sort of difficult or interesting to try to navigate that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's a great question. I felt like, you know, I was always this is the story of my life. I'm always the older guy, the guy who comes in late, the guy who learns things differently. But I've also have a different level of life experience. So you know that that is a plus and a minus. A lot of times from a perception point of view, it can be being negative because people think you just you know, you come across as and know it all. But but I was also a criminal at heart, right, I mean a lot of the things I did before I joined the Navy were survival mode stuff, right, you know, just getting getting by. So when I got to the unit, it was still it wasn't a JAS unit or jsuck smooth. Then it became one shortly thereafter for a number of reasons. But definitely had to adapt to a strong army culture. But this is a very unique army culture right right, and a long history of things that the country doesn't even know about what they did, and the you know, great men and women. I mean, I'm not talking about just men. There's some awesome, stellar operator women who've gone through that whole pipeline who've done amazing things. But to your question, I guess I did have to adapt to that. And then when you realize that, suddenly you were an asset and everybody wanted your opinion except for the fact it was an army manned unit. When it came to advancement, like I many times was the de facto troop chief or troop sergeant major, uh for for whatever reason. But I'm never going to get selected to be the troop Stargeant major because it's an eighteen series billet. It's an eighteen X ray billet. Oh wow, right, okay, yeah, now that might have changed for our years, and I imagine it has, but you know, that's kind of one of the things you have to wrestle with. But the good side of the the upside to it was to go there, you go to your actually covered under a different place in the Navy. Right, So when it came to advancement, I was one of one all the time, and all my oe R s or fit reps were signed by Cno. I mean almost, I want, I almost busted them out because it's hilarious to read him. You know, you know, Admiral Mullen, Admiral this admiral that you know, promote this guy, you know, blah blah blah, make him an officer, all this kind of stuff. So, you know, was the time I was a chief that I made senior chief there eight. So on the inside baseball part, I didn't have any problem for advancement. It's just, you know, you kind of discount that because it doesn't really matter when you're when you're at a tier one element, a tier one organization, it's about performing, right, you know. It's it's not like I need to bank rank too, so I can you know, teach people how to blost their freaking pants or something like that. It's it's you just want to operate, right, okay.
Speaker 3: And the thing is is that, honestly, like getting getting it promoted.
Speaker 5: Is almost like a detriment to that because it has the possibility of taking you out of that operational status.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and and the the army guys in particular had to.
Speaker 3: Deal with that, right because of the upper out type of stuff and everything else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now what what you know they fixed that for those guys because they would rotate out puns their ticket as a fifth group, you know, sergeant major come back, you know, be the S three or Army in the whatever. Yeah, yeah, so you're you know, you're cycling that you're you're taking care of your troops. Well uh yeah, so the army guys, you know, they had to deal with that. But but once you're in, you're in. You know, you you just come back. And and interestingly, if I were to name names in the Army right now, uh, all the key leader g os or a big handful of them or guys that I worked with, right I went through CTQC with or or deploy with, you know, and uh, there's a reason why those guys are leading you know, two stars and three stars.
Speaker 3: So you you assessed the ninety nine.
Speaker 2: I go through your training pipeline for a year plus, and I would like to ask you the question that I mean, I think so many people went through. I assume you were probably focused on the Bulkans again even though you were in Jaysack.
Speaker 3: You correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if you could talk a little bit about that and then how things changed when nine to eleven happened, how that changed the as far as what you can say about operations, and also the culture, the orientation of the unit.
Speaker 3: And how that changed after September eleventh.
Speaker 4: You know, first of all, I want to say, Jack, you're awesome. You recognize I got a d D and OCD at some time, so I appreciate you been doing this for a while. Again on track here, but yeah, okay, great question. And so again to be fair, to be accurate, prior to nine to eleven, we weren't we were still an army smooth okay, sap. I mean it's I'm not going to say any more than that. But the riding was on the wall, okay. And I'm trying to remember the the order, whether the other commands created their own counterpart to what we were doing, you know, I'm talking to the other squadrons. Yeah, each each particular Tier one unit created.
Speaker 3: Their own everybody. Everybody said yeah, and that's the thing.
Speaker 4: Everybody said they could do it. And I remember going down to damn neck me and and and the other guy who's you know, senior to me. They were steal and we're like, hey, and Mike, you know the master a chief for that squadron. You know, he was my honor man and in my Budds class, and was saying, look, dude, we can tell you how to do this so you don't make the same mistakes, you know when it comes to all these other things you got to do, approvals, docs, covers, all that kind of stuff, you know, in typical fashion like yeah, we got it, but don't your help. Yeah, even though they were receptive, it was what it was. But so it was an army unit manned by jointly manned and as far as the Balkans go. So I get out of our advance, our our pipeline training. And this is this is an interesting little side note. So we started out with twenty two dudes, twenty two people because they weren't all dudes and at the end there was ten. We go to the board. I'd had a really good final exercise, I thought, and you probably know what I'm talking about. We do real world stuff. I mean, just the best training in the world, the best exercises, the most realistic stuff. And I went to the board and they cut They murdered five people right there at the boards. And I would have been number six because I go into the in the room and they're all like, yeah, they did run down the list of stuff and we we just don't think and you did this and that good and blah blah blah. And see right before that, my fact was telling me like to hey, you just keep doing what you're doing. You're great, You're fine, Everything's be fine. So I'm like, okay, I got one little exercise left, you know, chill. Go to the board and uh They're like yeah, but we're just not sure that you're suitable for the Okay, I got it, walked out and uh so I would have been number six. But then the uh command start, a major comes out and he goes I for a bit and he said like, hey, they just don't they think you, you know, they don't understand your meant you know your affect. They think you're like, like you don't give a fuck, like I don't give a fuck exactly. In fact, at one point they said, at some point during the actual course, it's like, hey, man, if you if you don't like it here, we can just send you back to seal teams. I'm like, dude, send me the funk back to the seal teams. I did for fourteen years. I loved every fucking day I went to work. It didn't matter how hungover I was. I loved my job. Okay, go right ahead, you feel froggy, jump, send me back. I don't care. But you know, you know it was a little more frank than that. But uh yeah, so it was like, oh, threaten me with sending me back to something I like to do right right, But you know, he said, hey, you know I'm gonna you know anyway, long story short, Uh, you know, he basically had the overriding the vote, and I'm glad he did. You know, if I said his name, you probably know who it was. I just don't want to do it. Sure he ended up being Jason Sorry major.
Speaker 2: But that's interesting that he kind of saw through that, like this is just a super laid back guy, but he has his ship under control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's this one. There's this one exercise they do all the time when you're out out west and you're you know, they bring into this room, you sit in a chair and then you know, they gotta you shoe what do you call it? Horseshoe shaped layout of everybody and they ask you, hey, go rank these five priorities, you know, family, God, country, unit, whatever, right, and you do it and then they tear India about what your priorities were, and it's there's no right answer, right, It's like how much you believe what you're what you believe, you know. And that was the same kind of carried over to the end, you know, the board, the final thing. But but I but I knew my work was good. So anyway, I don't want to sound like a bragging but fortunately for me, he was there, uh and and and it all worked out. Now that's ninety nine and we're full board, going looking for you know, Jaysock, Blue and Green are and O g A are over in the Balkans hunting person's indicted for war crimes. You know, Karate and Melisavich and all their minions and so we immediately started deploying over there, and I did, like I think I did four deployments over there from varying degrees of sixty days, ninety days, you know, ninety nine, two thousand, and that was awesome. I mean, that was just like the most fun stuff. You know, you're running around doing tech stuff, doing surveillance. Just I'm sure your partner can talk more about that, if he knows more about that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've had a number of people on the show who've been over to the Balkans hunting war criminals at this point, and yeah, it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you were living the life Drew.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, it was It was cool. I mean, I wish I could go into like kind of details. I mean, I will say this one this one day, so some of the guys that I were at my team and Team two that were my counterparts, went over to Damn Neck and one of them was uh Neil Roberts, you know Roberts Ridge and Operation and Anaconda, and I'm I'm over there with the unit doing doing stuff and and uh uh a bunch of guys from Red Red Squadron came over and they had just come back from there, and they were the the unit, the team that was going to like do the hits, you know, go round up dudes. And one of them was Goodie, you know, Goodie Kay Yeah, I mean I know you yeah, Okay. Anyway, those guys, you know, were awesome. So it was getting ready time for me to rotate out. And we had a bunch of cars and we just got this new Audi A eight and right, and I was like, oh, I wanted to drive that thing. So I said, hey, I'm gonna I'm gonna take the AA out. I'm gonna see if I can set the record to whatever that town was in Cerbska, and I did zoom, you know, full full speed, blowing through checkpoints and everything, get there in like fifty five minutes. It's normally an hour and forty five minute drive or whatever it was, right, And I remember driving through town, cruising through town, past the Italians or or the Dutch or whoever they were, and I look over the right and I see this car as BMW, a red BMW, sitting in a driveway and there's someone out there barbecuing. And I called back, I said, hey, you know, you know, texting is uh you know what kind of car does Joe drive? He drives a red I said, you know, oh, okay, is it you know, license plate blah blah blah. It turns out I accidentally found this one guy. Yeah, that was they we were looking for and passed it on p I d D them. They came, we came back, I came back. And then it turned out that those guys ended up going and getting them. And it's kind of one of those Oh yeah, they set up with you know, they had a set up a place and you know, it's it's a classic story where they wait for it because he washed his car every Sunday right in his driveway and and so they just rolled up one day and with a van and and did the did the thing, you know, punch some punch some in mouth through in the van. Black hood over the head. Yeah, I don't even know if there's a black hood. I don't think they even gave them. You know, they didn't even give the ship. You know, like the disrupted this family barbecue and took this guy off the street. And I always thought that was pretty satisfying. Yeah, just like again, luck, total total luck, right, But that we did a lot of really fun cool things that that, you know, we we performed instead of having surrogates to it or whatever. Very satisfying. I went out after that. I went out to the Bundle of course, Tanne Bundle course out and out West and Tucson and Mariana and well that.
Speaker 2: Must have been a gas of a time. I mean it's like a six hundred pounds bundle, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we were jumping. They were doing everything. Motorcycles, cruise boxes, you know, sono tubes, you know those things full of like you see, full of kit. You know they've gotten it, they made it, you know. You so you're a tandem monder muster when you get out. But but here's here's the cool thing about nine to eleven if you want to know, so me and a buddy back up to ninety. This is gonna be the year two thousand. We go down to this course and we got invited by our cousins to say, hey, if you want to go to this course where we got, uh, where you can learn all these boats, different kind of boats and different kinds of diving, and you can come down here and and uh take this course. It was a month long, so we learned all kinds of different similar vessel driving and and whatnot. And and then you mix trade crafting with that, so you're using you know, you're learning how to do that. And and then we did mixed gas diving. Get her little certificate. You know, I made a little diver card so we you know, we could do any kind of mixed gas diving and whatnot. And so I made friends with these guys that were down there, and later on there they invited me up to this barbecue up and up in Arlington and we're sitting outside. You know, you know if I said their names, I mean, I know you know them. But one thing led to another, and Mick, who's there at the time, yeah, Mo as well as Thomas is the last n Anyway, they're like, hey, we're getting ready to go do this thing, this thing called the Nile right in Iraq, and we're gonna we're taking these Tenth Group guys and Pilot team dudes, and we got we got extra slots. You know, what do you think you want to come? You want to do it for us? I'm like, I'm like, yeah, that sounds good. You know what's his name? Who's the famous CIA guy who wrote the books uh, before that about that they made Curproco not Curproco.
Speaker 10: Anyway, you talked about like like like Bob Bear, Bob Bear, Bob Beart was like one of the legacy guys who rotated in and did that stuff priory.
Speaker 4: But it kind of I don't know the actual you know, timeline of of whatnot. But but by this time it was after nine to eleven, it was game on. You know, things were going to happen. So you know, I kind of skip past nine eleven because I don't even to talk about there if you know, but sure the just realize I need to plug in power here if you can, we take a real short break as.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Hey, everybody, please shook out our Patreon. It's listed in the link or underneath the thing. We just moved into new studio. We still drink a lot, and we could really use your money to to pay the rent.
Speaker 2: And I'll just take that segue to say that we really appreciate all of you who support the channel in various different ways, and we have to, like Dave said, we just moved into this new studio.
Speaker 3: We got really big plans for it.
Speaker 2: We're in a much better place here and it's because of you guys. Literally, it's a safe space. It's a safe space sa for Brose to drink some scotch.
Speaker 3: And even if you know you don't contribute to our Patreon, please subscribe to our channel YouTube channel like the video and get your LARTs and share our videos when you can. It really helps us out. We have just hit fifty thousand subscribers, which is really a milestone for us.
Speaker 2: And if you subscribe to the patreon, you get access to bonus episodes that we do, and also you'll get access to all these episodes ad free. So like if you listen to the podcast or you watch this on YouTube, you will see some ads. If you're subscribing to the Patreon, you'll get the episodes completely at of free.
Speaker 3: So when we're at ten thousand subcribers, we actually shaved Jack's head during an episode. We said it fifty thousand my COVID bullet. We would do costplays.
Speaker 5: Now we realize at this point that doing cosplay during an episode would kind of be insulting to our actual guests. But I don't know, man, I mean maybe we gonna be talked into like getting done up for a bonus episode on the Patreon and only if your Patreon subscriber, can you see Jack and I cosplay.
Speaker 4: Maybe that'll happen. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, Comic Con is coming up in October, right, it is Comic Con every year October. Yeah. We I took Jack to his first comic con. Shit, yeah, my first New York Comic Con. First New York Comic Con. That was a fun time. So anyway, and welcome.
Speaker 2: Back next next I'll also tease next episode if you want to grab that book behind you there, Dave Chris Cox fire Force. Chris served in the Rhodesian Light Infantry and he wrote this book fire Force. He's going to be on next week's episode. I've read a lot of war memoirs. This is one of the better ones. It's incredibly well written in just horrific and terrifying account of war. If you haven't read this book, I highly suggest you guys go and check it out. So we'll have Chris on next week's episode. So Chris Cox, fire Force, One Man's War in the Rhodesion Light Infantry. Suggest you guys go and check this book out?
Speaker 3: True? How are we looking?
Speaker 4: Can you guys here them? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we hear you.
Speaker 4: Okay, technical difficulty on my end. Can you see me?
Speaker 3: Yea, yeah, we got you a lot and clear.
Speaker 4: Okay, Lima, Charlie, you got here. Okay.
Speaker 3: Before we go any further, I just want to say that I was a Navy corman. I was a dive medtech. So I was a corman in the dive community. I feel your pain when it came to promotions in in a in a specialized field with when you had to compete against corman worldwide. I feel your pain.
Speaker 4: Well, that makes you feel a lot better, to be honest with you, So I think by having I'm having an issue with zoom on my end.
Speaker 3: We see you like, yeah, yeah, it's all good on our end. D did you do something break yourself?
Speaker 4: Hang on? That's a little attractive, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Uh well, yeah, what what what's the issue? Because it all looks good on our end here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's I plugged into power and and uh I think I'm okay, okay, can we continue? I might I just see the split screen anymore because I might have just connected from my version of the zoom.
Speaker 3: So okay, oh well, we see you, we hear you. So let's uh, well, if you could jump back into it. Pick up, pick up, pick up your story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I fixed it.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, I'm not.
Speaker 4: All apped up. Thanks for thanks for coming from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no worries.
Speaker 4: All right? Where were you? What am I?
Speaker 2: You were talking about? After nine to eleven? You were talking to Mulroy. He was saying that there's this thing popping off?
Speaker 3: Do you want to get in on that?
Speaker 4: Well, because we had a really good relationship with with our cousins, our unit died, we were re all tight. He told me about it. They gave me the details, They told me who to talk and everything. So I ended up scribbling it down like a piece of paper, some numbers and names, and I remember going. I went back to the to the to the command, to the unit, and a friend of mine who's now in charge of the Death Star. He was one of my h teammates, but he was also the squadron commander at the time, and I said, hey, sir, here you think of this? I want to do this. They they're asking us if we want to do it. We want to be part of this going in before war the War one in two thousand and two, Right and long story, short phone calls were made relationship. You know, things were vetted and that's the reason why our unit got into ah, the AFO mission, into the into the the deal before. You know, we are part of the Nole team. We went in in October of two thousand and two and it started doing Ope AFO whatever you want to call it, and uh, it was just again you know, God loves freaking progament and Lucky right place, right time. Uh. The rest is kind of history is so that's how we actually got into the whole war before.
Speaker 2: And your your story intersects with some of our previous guests. You brought up Nick March with tenth Group was out there. Who else have we interviewed? Uh, Sam Fattis was out there. I think we've interviewed a number of people who are who are out on that that initial uh you know OPE.
Speaker 3: Mission into northern Iraq.
Speaker 2: Could you tell us about how that went from your point of view as far as like infiltration and then what the operation, what what the mission was like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, I'm getting myself on Yeah, no worries. Yeah. So so we had a really interesting journey over there to Turkey and then into the and our whole thought process was we're going to be the the gateway for the Northern front. We're going to set the conditions to the collection f O O P for fourth I D I was gonna come in through the north. Of course, we know that we got the heismand they got the heismand from Turkey they didn't happen. It ended up being that it was us, you know, us and the Kurds and Tenth Group, which you know had a role in the initial invasion anyways, but they ended up taking a bigger piece of the pie because that was it, you know. And then of course we all know about Viking Hammer, which what those guys did, we did actually planned it. It was uncle Uncle Andy and some other nick and some other guys along with you know, and then the Tenth Group guys came in and fine tuned to their order of battle. But it just, uh, it was It was a good time because for three months we were let's see November, December, October and nover in December of two thousand and two, we were in there by ourself running around doing ricons. I mean I ended up lasing sixty two dimpies for that wow, not just myself, but.
Speaker 3: You know, sure it was you know, but like Layson to get grids or laser for air strikes for uh, tomahawks.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh so when they when they fired those cruise missiles. Mark talked about that when we had him on here. It was like what they fired like one hundred and twenty tomahawks that night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the twenty eighth or whatever it was. Yeah, so there was sixty two tomahawks fired at least sixty something like two three four whatever. They were launched from subs, ships and whatnot. And it was just it was just most awesome because we were at this ford little place that Mark point talks talks about too. I can't remember the name of it, but and it was like this light show. You get jets flying over, but they weren't jets, they were you know, tomahawks. And then we just watch him hit and and just waylaid all these all these targets. And then then within a day or two after that, we let's see, the tenth group might have already been in. Yeah, they were, they were already in, and we had planned the four prongs for Biking Hammer and then we launched that assault afterwards. But prior to that, we also had this CCT guy. The true hero of the whole Viking Hammer thing was was the Air Force CCT slash come back controller guys. They just were like composers of an orchestra. Was amazing. Like when we did our assault on Viking Hammer, we'll call this guy Jack. He he had aircraft stacked up like loss like la x yeah from you prior heard the story and it was poetry emotion.
Speaker 5: We we have talked about the talent of j tax As CCT guys before and how they are operating at a level that most of us can't possibly understand, controlling so many different assets at a time and being able to guide them on like calmly, coolly collectively just.
Speaker 3: Like rolling in asset like. It's just amazing to see them in action.
Speaker 2: So for folks out there who haven't watched those previous episodes we've done, I hope they will. But Viking Hammer was an operation between US Special ops and the Kurdish Peeshmerga to go and fight Onsar Islam in northern Iraq in two thousand and three. There are Islamic terrorist organization. The fear was that this terrorist organization could kind of bog down our invasion of Iraq, so we had to have kind of a northern front in that conflict during the invasion, Drew, could you tell us a little bit of out what you did. You sent me some pretty cool pictures actually of you out there in the field with the peshe Murga. Can you tell us a little bit about what your role was and what you were helping facilitate at that time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it was broken up by I wish I knew the actual order battle for tenth group, so I don't want to misrepresent that, but it was evenly divided amongst the was it one O three or one or two Toto's battalion and the s F guys and then various levels of Peshmerga and myself like a counterpart of mine and a combat controller. And I was paired up with UH, with Baffel no No, with jelal No.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There there was uh Palant Talabani Talabani horror.
Speaker 4: Well sure, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he became the intelligence chief, I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So I was spreed up with him UH and Jack and I and we were on the yellow or green prong. I forgot, but we ended up being with the guys the snipers from tenth group that were taking out. They did some great stuff with the with the Bearents.
Speaker 3: What's that with the fifty cows.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with the Barts. Yeah. In fact, I think one of the pictures I essentially that was taken from that was that day that both of those were. But yeah, so we we fought our way uphill through you know, we had we had pulverized a bunch of positions with AC went thirties the night before h fought our way uphill. We're taking effective fire. And and the thing that struck me about that whole thing was these s R s lam were clearly not just some forgive my terminology, raghead, you know, just amateurs. These people were they were trained, right, Yeah, they actually had defense and Depth center. So as they they knew, you know, gradually, you know, obviously we're going to buy out our way uphill. So they would just leap brought back to fortified positions where they had weapons, and.
Speaker 2: It was suspected they had a chemical weapons facility in that valley, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. So kerml H was a suspected weapons chemical weapons facility, and that just we just pummeled that with twenty or thirty freaking tom hawks. But I'll leave that up to historians to decide what it was interesting things found me, let's put it down. Yeah, as we fought our way uphill, these guys lead brought back and then they would rain down scuning on us, and and uh we had to call in closer our support. And I distinctly remember this one episode where we had navy pilots off of Roosevelt or something. There was a female and Jack's talking to her and she dropped her bombs and then He's like, I need you to do some straping runs along this ridge line. And so the ridge line essentially on the other side of it was I ran right. So she came in and just freaking lights gun in on him, took out some machine gun positions, and we were able to advance forward. Yeah, but it was interesting to get shot at all day long?
Speaker 5: And what was it like working amongst like not everybody had the same You work with different elements, and not everybody had the same sort of actions on type of maneuver, right, not everybody had this some sort of TTPs when it came to maneuver and fire. What was it like working with a disparate group in an actual firefight when you're moving towards target and trying to like.
Speaker 3: Coordinate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got this great picture of Lahore, I know, butcher in his name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sorry, I probably did too. Was sure.
Speaker 4: Buffs brother basically, And and so it's like, hey, you know it was a bomb rush with the Kurds but the SF guys and I don't know how it worked out, but it just it just worked. You know, we just you know, we passed the past the you know, we leap frog up to you know, some some cover and and you know, those guys were charged up, the Curds were charged up, and commands were passed and but but the game changers were the air cover and the tests. I mean, I was I was so frustrated that day because I decided because I had brought my SR twenty five with me, and I was like, I want to hope this fucking apples and uh, all these these magazines and whatnot, or I'll just take my end for right, And I regretted it to this day. It's like, because that was shoot, I was like lobbing shots at these guys four hundred and five hundred meters away, right, having it like you know, Kentucky. Yeah, yeah, and and of course we're fighting uphill. So it's like at some point I was like carrying a bunch of shit. So I took my rear played out and just you know, toss it on the ground and get it later. So but yeah, to this day, I was like, never go anywhere without a seven six two rifle in the open.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny because we were just talking about the sr AT lunch to that. We were just talking about it today and like my experience of it in the late nineties, it didn't have a ford Assistan at the time. I don't know if that changed, and I fucking hated it because of that.
Speaker 4: You know, I'll be honest with you. I you know, like everybody else, I knew it was a sniper. I wasn't, but I was. I'm a real good shot, or was back then. And I let me put this, I got a Jerry Barnhardt sure hat oh kice.
Speaker 5: Which Jerry Barnhart was like one of the know, He's an amazing shooter and one of the principal teachers for a lot of the soft units.
Speaker 3: And you had to shoot first in his class. Did you have to shoot him or you just had to you just had to be the best of the to be in the best of the group to get the hat.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know I probably should warning that so far from what you experienced out there that day. I mean, I reflect back on what j. R. Seeger said when we had him on thought, the combination of US Special Forces, c I A paramilitary and American air power was just a very deadly combination.
Speaker 4: Absolutely it was. It was I just remember, like I said, you know, it was like it was a spectator half the time, right, other than rounds, you know, and the thing that the interesting party and I want to sound like there wasn't you know, me deep and grenade pins, but you know, they were shooting at us and the rounds were hidden. But they were also shooting from paraway too, so you know, it wasn't like you know when it wasn't like Blue Jar or Maddy or anything like that. But I remember this one occurred taking around the chest right Bot right next to me and kind of in between me and Jack and uh, and I went to him and pulled open all of his you know, they had layers of clothes on, right, because it's like march right a rack of snow on the mountains, right, it was cold, and I pulled all these layers of clothes out and the round, the seven sixth two round was like sticking out of his chest. It wasn't even like it hardly even penetrated because.
Speaker 3: It's so it bled off so much velocity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right. You know, I shouldn't made it more dramatic. You know, it was just it was just kind of funny. But yeah, it's you know, we did that. I ended up clearing some caves and then getting some guys that were hiding some caves, a couple of couple of cards, and and I remember leaving that. At the end of the day, I'm like, ash, am I gonna I need to write a report on this. Am I going to get? You know, it was like the dilemma. No, I'm not gonna tell because I don't I don't want to do the paperwork, right, you know, so I'm gonna like, you know, back then it was like, you know, we're gonna get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Why were you put yourself in harm's way kind of thing. Well, it wasn't that.
Speaker 4: It was more like you just didn't know everything was new, right unless you rush Afghanistan, you were you know, Afghanistan was was ahead of us by year, right, right, half a year so for a year or more. Yeah, yeah, So that was that was that was a really good time. That was only the beginning too, because then we did other things Kirk Cook, you know, we had to take Kirk Cook with the Kurds. Uh. It just kept going and it was a real good time with with ten group and looking forward to the reunion, you know, I think they're going to do a twenty year anniversary of that Viking Hammer coming up here next year, early early early next twenty three.
Speaker 3: Were there, you know you said that Afghanistan was a year ahead of you at this point in time. Have there been? Were there were there visible changes at your particular unit as a result of nine to eleven? Did things change? Did they morph evolve?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean they did, of course, you know nine to eleven changed everyone's life. I mean, for me example, I was on a on a my This one trip I did after doing a bunch of balking trips was to a country to Georgia, excellent, and I remember taking off. I just why I'd just gotten married at the time, to to I just got married, just leave it that way. The a few weeks before and it was getting ready to leave on September ninth. And so September ninth, I get on the plane, fly to fly out there to the Caucasus and land, you know, because you lose a day when you're flying that way. Right, So check into our place, turn on the TV. I'm with another another teammate and they were watching CNN and he's like, hey, man, check out the TV. There's like a plane just crashed one of the towers. Like, oh okay, think of you know, World War two, when that be twenty five at the Empire State Building or whatever. And you know, I'm watching it. And then we like everybody in America has the story, same story. We watched the second plane the time. So at that point it was like, holy shit, war with someone, right, So you know, we're on the horn, we're talking to the chief at the base at the station, and next thing you know, we're we're doing stuff. So from that point on, it was everything was like laser focused. It was awesome, great times to be alive. You know, we just got everything we needed. Uh, we did a lot of great stuff. I just feel like it was you know, a bleusts time to be an American. Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: What came for you then? After after Viking Hammer.
Speaker 2: That whole two thousand and three invasion, what was the next step for for you in the now now in your army career, so to speak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Viking Hammer happened, and you know, it was kind of like the you know, you didn't really think of it as Viking Hammer. It was like it was like, okay, work, another deployment did to s. You know, we we went to all these different places and and that the stuff we pulled off of all these different little villages. And I mean you took this this one particular. I should have sent you the picture.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 4: It's a it's a kind of famous picture actually sitting in sitting in a conference room up at another office. It's with myself, Nick, all the guys from our team after we just took this little town and me and Mick are holding an American flag up.
Speaker 3: Oh I think I've seen that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you probably have. It's it's actually in all the Viking if you go to Wikipedia and all that kind of stuff, you can see it. You know, all the bikes you're you're wearing Oakley's and most of them. Exactly. Yeah, you're.
Speaker 3: Understand, but that I said, you're a seal, so we understand, but I'm I'm honest kid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cool dude always.
Speaker 3: And and for your for our viewers, you don't know. S SC is sensitive site exploitation and it's it's the phase after an assault where you basically search for search for evidence, but like search like like the FBI looking for like you searched like I would.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't quite call it what the FBI does on a crime scene.
Speaker 3: It's more like it's a it's what a ranger does on a crime scene.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, it's not like you're not wearing gloves and dusting for prints, but you're ripping pop everything. You're looking for everything you can. And yeah, and you find all their porn, you know, all all the udal indeed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah, So we did that s S stuff. I went to to the Fromal place and it was just devastated, and then some other folks came in and we just shifted focus to to the the Iraqi Republican Guard uh InCor cook and taking that place with groups again. So that I ended up getting the third Republican Iraqi Republican Guard Division flag took it down from whatever that base was there. And what's funny is like you could see these guys as they left their base. They were like literally taking their clothes off and throwing them off, you know, in the street, their uniforms and knowing, you know, soveying close. And this flag was it had to be twenty feet long or something like that. I ended up giving it to someone in some general and com But yeah, we found a bunch of really interesting things there, missiles and things that more interesting. But to put it, wow, But it's just it's too bad that the political narrative is what it is as far as the level of evidence. But you know, there's cases to be made on both sides of WMD. You know, finding Sarah is one thing. Finding effective Sarah rounds is another thing, right right, right, I would say, there's yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, and and you know sort of and again, you know, if the premise is yellow cake, then w m d S may not fit that definition. But finding you know uxo, Yeah, yeah, finding finding toxic gases or finding what you know, chemical weapons does get downplayed in in you know, in certain narratives.
Speaker 4: For sure, yeah. I mean there was enough evidence prior to that of you know, makes being buried in the desert, and you know we were we were played to by by a lot of shakes, right right, that's that's out of my pay. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What what what came after that deployment though? What was the next step?
Speaker 4: Okay, so it came back from that. Well, before I left, I had to go down so we were we were also planning how we're going to get into buy it, get into back dead first, just conditions for the guys who were you know, first I D and one math and third id H and Uh. I ended up going down there with a group of guys that Mark was running and linking up at Baghdad International Seeing Airport it was called, and doing a little bit of stuff in Baghdad before I got shipped up. By that point, i'd been there like six plus months. So I left came back home. That's two thousand and three.
Speaker 5: H And at what point in your career how many years did you have in the military at two thousand and three.
Speaker 4: See, that would have been I listened in eighty seven, So what do the math for fifteen?
Speaker 9: Right? Right?
Speaker 4: Sixteen sixteen years? So I ended up coming back to the unit and taking U. Oh okay, so I'm a senior chief, right, So here's the here's the row, the interesting part of Iraq. I'm up for master chief and at the same time I was married, So I'm thinking about yeah, master chief E nine retirement after twenty years, twenty five years, thirty years, as opposed to like putting in a commissioning package. Right, it's a big pay difference, free time, Yeah, any difference, right, So I put in this one. I put it in a package for commission, a Mustang commission, and you get to you can check a block for war an officer or just line officer, right, Nothing wrong with foreign officers. They're awesome, right, but they don't want to run a training stuff, right. So I just thought, yeah, I'll just roll the dice line officer. So the message comes out, I'm on, I'm on an objective overnight. It's you know, December of two thousand and two, and I'm selected for master chief, right, pretty nice. Then I might have the order backwards. But I also got selected for ld O for for commission. So I come back and I have to make a decision, and I went to the boss to the CEO, and I said, hey, man, if I sirt and say, man, sir, if I take this commission, can I stay at the unit. You're like, I don't see why not right, because typically if you get commissioned, they send you off to freaking another side of the world, right, one of those who you are, so you show up as this boot and send or officer. And uh so one day I'm I'm selected to so many things at the you know, I'm gonna be a nine. And then next thing, I'm like, well, I'm manbe you know one, right, you know, we do this ceremony. Uh and uh I get uh, you know, go from E nine to or E eight promotable two one. And it was like people are looking at well, what do we call you now? I mean, yeah, you call me Drew. Right. So I stayed there for another five years, ended up taking one of the other troops, a different kind of troops that did different, uh atypical a stuff.
Speaker 3: Did some stuff in some places, say again, did some stuff in some places?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just it was it had a different flavor to it. And it was the XO for that for a while. And then I did the m for to have kind of uh yeah, stuff where you know, I had like punch tickets, oh three, I mean S three I was a len o for or whatnot. But that wasn't the end of my you know, utility. I actually dim other stuff that was with other folks for their agencies.
Speaker 2: So but you you're still deploying in support of the war on Terror, uh, doing your thing there. And and you said eventually you became catre for the selection for US, right, you kind of came full circle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, I mean what happens is, you know, whether it's once a year or twice a year, it depends on you know, the year and the time. Typically it's twice a year. They're doing an assessment selection. They're bringing candidates from the military. They do you know, you do screening, uh assess them, and then you put them through a pipeline of uh of tasks and you know, they pull from whoever's available within the squadron squadrons to becaudant. And so I was very actually that was very rewarding, you know, to to do that, to teach people tasks and assess them and that now you're one of the guys in that horseshoe formation around the candidates.
Speaker 3: That come in and yeah, actually.
Speaker 4: I never got to that point. I don't think I was, you know, I'm I'm not that it was. It was senior, senior folks who do that. But yeah, yeah, I had feedback green sheets or pink sheets are there called had to fill out. But in this time frame after I came back from Iraq, that's when I went down to this special finishing school that day probably and I became a certified operations officer. So that after that, that's when I started doing you know, CEO stuff and other places. So that's when I got to, you know, really do the things that I thought was really my strategic intelligence. Yeah, run sources and you know that was a dicey sorry, dicey time, uh in the history of Somalia and the Horn of Africa, but very rewarding.
Speaker 5: And Samalia you actually you mentioned good early and that was Somalia, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's regrettably, that's I mean, I just got to tell you there are very I love my brothers, but of all the people in the world that I know who are just true superstar rock star heroes who've been everywhere at the right time, that's just one guy that.
Speaker 2: Uh was he was he the Bancroft guy that was killed over there?
Speaker 3: He was, Okay, I'm thinking of somewhat different.
Speaker 4: It was, yeah, yeah, but just yeah, you know, yeah he he you know, he was one of the ops in uh Anaconda and everything. Everything, everywhere he went, things happened so and regrettably, I don't think he had any family or any children, but but him and his wife were very involved in in other you know, mentoring, uh just you know, just children that had didn't have parents.
Speaker 2: Or m hm, yeah, that's incredible. Well, I hope his story can be told in further details some day. Sounds like a pretty amazing dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was. I mean it's I feel like I had like an average career, you know. I mean, you know, you kind of rack yourself, you kind of compare yourself to your peers, and that's just the wrong thing to do because it ends up setting me up for problems later on, you know, right, question, could you've done things differently or whatnot? Right?
Speaker 5: And yeah, that's that's a trap because you you you are comparing your.
Speaker 3: You know, it's sort of like the whole Groucho Mars thing.
Speaker 5: I would never be a member of any club that would have me as a member, right, Like, like we see ourselves in a different light than we see everybody around us, And so many times you're like, how am I here because of what you know? And it's even like on this show, we have people who come on who have done incredible phenomenal things and they say, I don't know if I can be on your show because like you've had.
Speaker 3: Such it's like your legend too, you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's it's you know, and I think especially and and special Operations, which is an area of you know, high achievers, people who set goals and achieve those goals. And if you're consistently comparing yourself to the people around you, we tend to diminish our achievements and and see and go oh man, then I could have like, like look at what they did.
Speaker 2: I want to ask Drew about his about post retirement and or post army or post military and some of the things you did. Let's get into the viewer questions before we go there.
Speaker 4: Let me jump people.
Speaker 5: People very much care that actually people they actually give us money to ask you questions.
Speaker 4: So you know, how do I get tap into that stream? Man?
Speaker 3: You actually we'll talk, Yeah, and you're gonna you're gonna tell us about your upcoming stuff. You tap into that. That's right.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about see what your what's your what your group wants to know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see what they got.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so.
Speaker 5: Let me do my broadcast voice here. John Pierre, who just donated, thank you very much. Darren Jones donated also, both very generous.
Speaker 3: We really appreciate. Jacob wall Drew is like the mirror image of Dale Comstock, yet equally if not more imposing. So what he said that you are like the mirror image of Dale Comstock, another guest of ours. Uh uh, yet equally if not more imposing. And I think what what he is saying is that, uh like Dale is is very much a large life figure, and you know in the way he carries ol of with itself and and deservedly so, like he's you know, been there, done that, and while and you are humble and yet you are also equally if not more imposting. Is when are when?
Speaker 4: Well, that's that's very flattering and and thank you for you know, I feel like, and this is gonna sound corny, but I really do believe that I was blessed the fact that I came in when I did, and I was had the fortune to walk amongst folks that were just like me who did amazing things. You know, It's sometimes you just wake up one day and you realize I belong here. Yeah, whether you're a Major League baseball player or an actor or pro football player, whatever it is, you just wake up and go, I belong here. This is this is where I live. I can do this. I can't perform I I can. And it doesn't mean I'm any more Superman. I'm not a Marvel character. It's just that you just realize you know your craftsmen, your you know what you're doing right, and there's you know when you when you get to that point where you trust your inner self. I think that's what I learned going to the unit. It's like, this is why I've made this decision because I think it's the right decision. And here's why I think it's the right decision. This is why I set the l Z up this way. This is why I aborted this mission. This is why I did this thing. And you're right because it turns out right. And so when you're when you're fortunate enough to be in that position to repeatedly over years. UH make good decisions or decisions that are productive or you know sometimes the just and where you walk away, right, you know what, right a good feeling about this.
Speaker 5: And it takes it takes a mature military unit, which which isn't always there to support you. Like some units will make your decision decision a zero or hero decision. But if the unit trusts you, then they give you the leeway to make a decision and don't like like hammer you afterwards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to that point. I remember being in Somalia and you know, we had this certain coup of mission we were working with with uh proxies or whatever, and uh I had this uh certain O six who I love, love them to death. He's like, where the fuck is mine? You know, Commando force? Oh I need to know because he's answering to geos and whatnot. Sir, you can't make some allies and it just doesn't have an open into command right right. They don't even know how to read a map, right, you know, And and uh so you have that those kinds of challenges to deal with, but at the end of the day, they trust you and they let you kind of drive the try the train yeah, no.
Speaker 3: That's important. Hey, just to add to what he said work for in the ninth three Life, Hey, if you haven't liked this video, please please get us Yeah wrong, Yeah, you're wrong.
Speaker 4: You're wrong, straight up.
Speaker 5: And then uh, Adam White, one of our beloved guests, thank.
Speaker 3: You for the donation. He said, great interview. We're all very lucky to have you, Drew.
Speaker 5: We uh and keep making up funky and keeping it up spicy, y'all, go team go, Yeah, Drew, we are very lucky to have you.
Speaker 3: We deeply appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been my pleasure. I wish I could be more captivating and told you some better stories next time.
Speaker 2: Next time you come here in studio in New York and we'll sit down, we'll have some stokes, and.
Speaker 3: You told us some great stories.
Speaker 5: And look like, thank God for Jack because Jack, because you and I are we're both sort of the A D D. Like we go off and I would have talked to you about like naval sea stories for.
Speaker 2: Fucking you know, two hours. You're having a really bad day. If you need me to keep you on the rails.
Speaker 3: I have a bad day every Friday, yeah or Saturday. Yeah. See how bad my day is there there?
Speaker 4: Does anybody have a pointy question they want to ask?
Speaker 3: Or yeah, so and a totally Vaskovich thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Did you guys spend a lot of time on shooting and weapons and CQT?
Speaker 4: Was it a good shooting program shooting weapons win.
Speaker 3: During c QT, like during your training.
Speaker 4: For the some of you, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean yes. But but part of the part of the selection, Terry was like what you brought to the team, right, So they're not going to teach you what you already know how to do. You're gonna get plenty of opportunity like to work with work with guys like Jerry Barnhardt or Pat Pat McNamara or or other folks. But that's just so you can just tweak and fine tune your skills, right mostly you get Yeah, so we did a lot of foreign weapons stuff and so, but maintaining our calls was never an issue. We wanted to set up a shooting course with some expert We did it whenever we needed to. How was it we wanted to also wanted to maintain What I've left out is that we work oftentimes integrated as part of a combined team with our brothers and sisters in Blue and Green. So you know, we needed to be able to not be.
Speaker 3: A live building us right and out of curiosity, like, how was that different? Because in the sealed teams, just like in the Rangers or most spec Ops units, you were learning to do things as a team. And while you need to be able to do things as a team and integrate, there are also times when you have to do something as a singleton or as a payer, and that's not really something that is so often focused on in these other units. So how did you train up for that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that kind of details into my one of my last jobs, where we had a special group that did kind of those types of things we travel around, be about yourself and notably, for example, we had a particular rock star who went on a trip and as soon as he landed, he his spotty senses went off and he realized that, hey, he thinks he's might have coverage and sure enough, you know it could have been criminal. I mean, that's one of the things you neglect were we always want to look at things from the standpoint of it, you know, as a voice or foreign intelligence.
Speaker 5: Like espionage, right right, right, right, but a lot of times it's just criminal, like too right, because you're an American in a country that's not Yeah, the lights tourists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And regardless of what it was, you know, he had the awareness, situational awareness to recognize the situation. And sure enough, the van pulls up, guys jump out, so I'm put sticks a gun in his chest, and he does the freaking swim move, takes a gun away, takes around it, takes the gun away, shoots back at the guys, hits a couple of them, and they speed off. And he's got to do the Jason Bourne ship right, you know.
Speaker 3: And he right, and he can have he could have like the embassy x X for him, but then he would blow everything. So instead he decides to make his own way.
Speaker 4: He just he does Jason Bourne as it goes to the you know, gets his supplies from, you know, some pharmacy where takes care of himself, does the right thing, notifies you know, we got a procedure, and and to that to your point, you know, that's what happened. So but it was completely below the radar. Did the right thing wells the level of stuff that really does happen, and you're proud of when your guys your gallop.
Speaker 3: That's super hardcore.
Speaker 2: Like the way that accounts published in the book is that that guy was, uh, you know, mugged in a gas station essentially by crooks.
Speaker 3: But what you're laying out is like a kind of a pretty different situation.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't a gas station. It was you know, he's on his way too from the airport.
Speaker 3: And these are not criminals. These are people who know who this dude is and they want to bag him up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one can. One could definitely make that assumption.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, right, it gets off airpl at that moment. He doesn't know that he's just responding to the situation exactly right.
Speaker 4: And that's the that's where the Crucible and Killy McCann and and all that training, all the cold, every freaking day of the week, three times a week or whatever it was, you know, pays off. Yeah, it's it's muscle memory, it's it's it's all that stuff. It's you know, you fight like you train, and h question becomes part of who you are. And then you know the downside of that is affectulator, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, post post.
Speaker 4: Retirement, you know you got to Facier, Fasher Demons or Facier.
Speaker 3: Right, right, And we've talked to you know, we've talked to a number of other people who have you know, talked about you know, that challenge of of what comes up after because it's easy to sort of subsume or push down or ignore that stuff when you're still going, you know, one hundred miles an hour. But then when it all stops, all of it, then what are you left with and what comes up? And did you That's kind of it with the question did you did you have to deal?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Were there things for you like working through afterwards?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean, honestly, where I'm at in my life right now, these are the things that I really feel are important. And it surprised me, but yes I did, because when I got out, PTSD was a stigma. It was it was something you didn't of course you could. You thought only.
Speaker 12: Other people have convention of right, right, Yeah, exactly, And but you know the assimilation part of society. You know, everybody has to go through some sort of well I shouldn't say everybody, but many of us high performers, I want to say, you know, like we always joke about it. It's a performance league, right you You you know, you either have a good batting average, you drive in runs you don't, you know so uh and you constantly measure yourself based on your peers. You get out and you have to struggle with uh. You struggle with relevancy.
Speaker 4: Like I used to always joke about my my fresh my cell by date my. You know, when you get out and you cut away, you've got an amount of relevancy in the community that unless you strap hang on to another organization is going to keep irrelevant. You're gonna you know, things are going to move past you. And fortunately for me, I was able to do that. I ended up working with Mick and some other guys for a little while, and although it wasn't a real long time, I made a personal decision not to, it did keep me relevant. I did get to go do some things that I didn't get to do in the military that were just awesome. You know, I got more trigger time afterwards than I did cumulatively you know later. But it's just what it was, what it was.
Speaker 3: But there, once you leave, you're gone, right, Like the gates closed and you might still have friends, but you're closed off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know what it is you think, you think it's you. You don't know how to make you don't know how to navigate the watch you find yourself. For many of us, we wall ourselves off because we feel like, I don't want to call. I don't want to talk my buddies. I want, you know, I want to sound like I'm gonna say something that sounds dated. I don't want to bother them. And you stay, you try to stay in touch, but but at the same time, you re ut recognize they're still running one hundred miles an hour and and you're not so you know, it can take a toll and and and uh, for me, it did. Uh, it's it's snuck up on me. And there when I made the decision to kind of come off the you know, come off the field and and focus on a new marriage and having kids. You know, it was a deliberate decision, and uh, but it also forced me to face some things that you know, what was going to happen in the future, and at some point you're real For I feel fortunate that I recognized that I couldn't fix it myself, and I reached out. It just turned out it was this weird thing. I I got to say. I was walking into Wegman's one day and I hadn't seen Rod Gonzo. This one guy Intel, a guy in a few years and he said, Hey, what's up, Drew, And we're shooting the ship in the parking lot and maybe you could just see it. He must have been written over my face. And he's like, uh, hey, you're her headstrong, you know, And yeah, they got a lot of money. They they're helping, helping guys. And give him a call and I looked them up, ended up calling him, having this inject with someone's you know, and just kind of explaining things that I just didn't understand what was going through my head. I never thought about doing anything, you know, drastic some people with twenty two and suicide and all that I said. But but I realized I just after twenty five years or twenty seven years of doing whatever I was doing, I suddenly I found myselven waters. I couldn't control right somebody else, you know, And so I reached out and talked to this guy. Did an inject next a guy. Now I'm like talking to a psychiatrist. Next thing I know, I'm talking to you know, getting help and Headstrong was started by a marine captain or major who a bunch of his major, a bunch of his platoon members. After Ramadi and Flujah, young guys were killing themselves suicide because they came back to the world and they were you know, they had issues when they were young, young kids. But you know, the VA just hand them a bag of pills and right and uh So, the stigma of PTSD was this, you know, before Nika and Nico was formed for the guys that that Tier one units. Now where you you actually you know, get the proper treatment, the proper trend uh uh transition, an assessment like what Mark talks about. Anyway, that was before that. I was worried about my T S, s C, I t K down all that kind of stuff, right, you know I was. I was worried about, like, well, somebody finds out I got you know, issues, I won't be a case officer or whatever. So this was completely anonymous they kept. You know, it was all done by big, big, deep pocket boat donors. You got the help you needed without any kind of stigma and had strong Save save basically, and that's why you know I'm where I'm at today. Not that not that things that have necessarily been.
Speaker 11: You know, negative, but but right, I can't do it right right, And and again I get what you're saying that you're you're not you're not saying that maybe there were thoughts of self harm, but it becomes sort of an isolation and sort of a downward spiral inside of that isolation that just that just like.
Speaker 5: It's not necessarily leading to a path that is physically detrimental, but it's a path where you just sort of isolate and keep you know, push away family friends, whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when when you when you're when your spouse says something innocent and you cook off right along as entire rade, right, and you're like, you know, you're just like you have this out of body experience where like you don't get it. And then you realize they don't get why should they get it right?
Speaker 3: And thank god they don't get it right.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, we realize, Wow, okay, I'm gonna try all these different things alcohol, I'll try this. Yeah, you know, you do, you do you go about down all the different rabbit holes and you realize, okay, you know, this is just an area where I need a subject matter expert you know, I need somebody else who you know I need to I need. I don't know what I need, but but I need something else, right, And it's good, you know. I mean, there's there's a lot more we've We've really progressed a lot since I went through that, So I, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you something.
Speaker 2: And maybe this is somewhat selfish of me, but I'll go ahead and ask anyway. And I don't want to say more than you maybe want to talk about publicly. But you have told something to me that like it kind of resonated and I can relate to it on a personal level. Like there's a time in your life, like you decide to set aside this life as an operator or a soldier or a sale or a bad ass or whatever it is, and like choose to be a father and a husband and and like play this sort of other role in life. And I was wondering if you would be willing to like talk a little bit about like the very like kind of conscious decision you made to move from one life to another, because like that's something that just it really clicked with me at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great question. It's like and we all have these preconceived ideas of what our life's gonna be. Like I'm gonna get out, I'm gonna work with CIA, I'm gonna be a parent military contractor. I'm gonna buy land in Montana. I'm gonna do this, this and this. I'm gonna get my past license, blah blah blah blah, you know whatever, and uh and then you know, life throws you a a a softball. You think it's a curve, but softball, and you swim a miss and if you just like paid attention to it and hit it the right way, it would have been the best thing. So you you have it. Like for me, I felt like a mhm. I met my wife and at the time and we were going to go down this path that from Dave's old place, and I realized that wasn't the right fit for me because the organization was saying, your spouse has to basically stop her career. I'm gonna be blunt about it because it needs to be said. She's you know, I look at my you know, she's a rising rock star in her field global right, and you know, within the the organization was saying, yeah, you know, but but she has contacts and I thought I put myself in her. She was like, what if somebody said that to me when I was in the beginning of my seill career, I what I have today if I had given all that, all of what I've experienced, right, And I felt like, that's not fair. I got to live my career. I got to do exactly what I chose to do, and I had. I had a great career, and I wouldn't want to put that on anybody else. So I decided, hey, you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna decouple. I'm not going to impose that restriction on my significant other and be a support element in the meantime. So I started doing you know, I see training people doing whatever. And it was hard. It was really hard. It was really hard because you know we're talking things were still very kinetic, very going on, and we've being a coin advisor in Afghanistan for a year and that was very rewarding, work with Marines and working from my Crystal and betray us. We didn't even talk about that. That's another podcast probably, but you know, you have to like some at some point, you just got to make the decision to pull the cutaway. Pillow. Yeah, right, and hope you reserve opens you pull that preserve pillow and thank god the rigor packed it right. I saved my life, right, you know, and then you have to deal with everything after that. And the transition was or a challenge, but I've embraced it. And now we have two wonderful children that I just adore and I my wife is h a rock star and I'm just glad to be her EXO and support structure.
Speaker 3: And you know, we've kind of talked about that before that, you know, especially for special operations, right, it's a volunteer service. Nobody is drafted then inspec ops like then you're volunteering two times or three times and people can say thank you for your service. But at the end of the day, we are all doing what we love and we are living, in a way, a pretty selfish life. We are. We are living our dream and you know, and what gets left behind are the wives and the children when we're doing that, And you know, they're the ones who, you know, the spouses are the ones who wonder, like what's going on when we haven't been able to contact them for two or three weeks at a time, right, or whatever, one more question, okay, And and for you to make such a I don't want to say mature because obviously you're a grown man. But but what's it's a mature decision to say, like, I've been living my dream and now if I like, if I want to keep living this thing that I've been living, then I have to sort of ask my wife to stop living her dream.
Speaker 4: Right, And yeah, that was a non starter. But but that it's it's a uh, it's a complex thing, right. I don't think I made it with the clarity I'm relaying it to you, Okay, it was it was a lot of unknowns. Sure, right is intuition, it's more like instinct. It's like I need help, right, And I didn't even know why because I was like, I know, guys who did three hundred hits lost guys in their arms. You know, people died in their arms. I mean I didn't have that kind of had a lot of very interesting experiences, I mean stuff I can't talk about right now, but but they weren't traumatic. So so when it came time for me to deal with traumatic the aspect of like I don't I mean, you know, when I'm asking people when when the Sykes asked me the question, so what happened? You know, what was a traumatic episode? I'm like, I don't know. You know, how many people did you kill? I give them a number? Right, yeah, but that doesn't bother me. It's I guess I don't have you know. But at the end of the day, it's like, how many people did I have disappeared because of what I did? Or how many people? You know? And that's the thing I don't even I don't even care about that aspect. The point is we end up at a point, at a crossroads, and whether we understand how we got there or not is not important. What's important is what you do when you get to that why in the road the crosswas and you recognize I'm lost, okay, right, and and I need you know, this is the point where you know, I got to ask for directions or I got to ask for it, right, And you don't know what that helpens, but you got to at least ask.
Speaker 3: And yeah, now we get that. I mean I think that, and that's been a common threat to that, like people want to think that, like whether it's a poached to my stress or or whatever it is that there's supposed to be this big moment when your best friend died in your arms or whatever, and there's not always that moment, like it could be a cumulative it.
Speaker 5: Can be exactly you know, it can be going from one hundred miles an hour, always on the go, always like living on the edge, to nothing and all of a sudden like there are these like shockwaves and reverberations that follow that that there's there's not a singular event.
Speaker 4: What so to that point, what happens is this, this is this is why I'm a big fan of and You're Human some other folks podcasts. There's a chemical change that happens in your body when you're constantly used to being in a high, high stress environment and performing at a high level. Your body changes. Your body chemistry changes. Okay, your quarter's all level changes. You're you know, you're you're hurt. There's so many things, I mean, and you used to find at night and sleeping there in the day, you're taking an ambient you're you know, you're doing amphetamines to do whatever or whatever on occasion. But at the end of the day, you just used to a different body chemistry. Your body chemistry physical actually changes and then you come back to to a normal life, so to speak, and you're challenged by that because now all of a sudden, everything about you. You know, you look across the street, different activity, You walk into a grocery store, you're checking your corners, you know, where's the exits? Okay, what's this driver going to do? You know, all these things that happened that it's it's part of a chemistry thing. And uh, you know we all we all have to deal with that in some way or another, oh to some another. And you don't you think that you're can complete control or command of yourself. And and then you're faced with these and you realize one day that you know, you're barking at your wife, you're you know, you're doing all this weird ship, you're hyper vigilant, whatever it is.
Speaker 5: Alcohol, pulling people out of their cars on the road. You know, yeah, whatever happens.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know you're getting angry folks, or you're just thinking. You know, I could go on, But the point is it's not you're fucked up. It's that you've also been If you know, over twenty five years, you've been conditioned your body chemistry has changed your neurological aspect of your life. You know, you can't want you know, the guys that took down took down captain you know, rescued Captain Phillips. You know, forty eight hours later they're driving through you know the drive through it at talk about.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, it's right.
Speaker 4: You just shot some guy in the face and forty hours later, you're.
Speaker 3: Right in a world that doesn't I mean, thankfully I'm not like putting civilians down for that, but but have no concept of that. You want you went from bagdad to your living room right right, or or the Hooters or or the you know, you know, scissor or whatever. Yeah, exactly what's what's the last question here? The last question? Thank you for Laurence Us for both the donations. Is there any credibility to the rumors of the Kandahar Giant and the Taliban fighters needing eight to nine bullets to go down due to captive goon or other substances beats?
Speaker 4: Yeah, even know how to answer that. I will tell you this that as far as Afghanistan goes, when a year ago, when things were going sideways in Afghanistan, I felt very betrayed as a US service member who watched a lot of h who knows of I mean, I've been to too many funerals, right, And when that happened, I jumped on the the veproo bandwagon to help get get folks out and to speak to the the issues of of PTSD. I feel like betrayal is something that people need to understand, need to check out. You know, when when you're when you sign up your defend the constitution, carry out the orders of the day, you know, blah blah blah, and you want to do your job. You kind of don't care, but you don't want what you do to be completely meaningless discountant, right, you know, it's worthless. And as far as that you know, mean type of question goes, people should recognize that when young Americans, I mean the thirteen Marines and and all, I share something in common with the fifteen Marines that died in Okay HK. They did that because they're looking at they believe in what they're doing, they believed in their brotherhood, they believe in you know, and and represent the United States as a true speaking of hope, and every now and then we need to take a reset and recognize that. But if we don't, we don't have those values anymore. You know what's going to pull that boy right?
Speaker 3: And you know, it's interesting because our veterans have always sort of led the charging that from Vietnam, like bringing home the Vietnamese, bringing Jim Morris, the Vietnamese, the mountain yards and nuns that that sacrifice so much to work with us, you know, Afghanistan, Iraq, like the Kurds during the first Gold four we we completely left them to their own devices after they trusted us so much. It you know, it's easy to blame Au a politician for those issues, but it seems to be a trend of of of the American government, like in generally it takes the veterans that worked with with those indigenous forces to to like lead the charge on getting them sanctuary.
Speaker 2: Uh, Drew, could could you talk to us a little bit about what you're doing now, some of the things you have planned for the future.
Speaker 3: What what what what's the next step? What's the next move for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Thanks Jack for again just being a maestrom. Yeah, so I've I've kind of like tried to, oh say, I got out as an impost a lieutenant right to be a commissioned officer in the Navy U as a well as a mustang. To retire as an officer, you have to do ten years as in service. Right now. I was. I was. I was pretty banged up. By the time I got out. I'd had like four shoulder surgeries, a couple of knee surgeries, uh, ankle plates, a bunch of other stuff. And when it came time to retire, I was like, I was all thinking about, Hey, I'm gonna go and uh work for Wexford, work for AWG, do this and that. You know, you gotta make money. And when it came time to retire, I was doing my out physical and I was pretty pretty apped up. And my squadron surgeon, to his credit, said, hey, you know, you ever thought about a medical retirement, Like, well, that's for guys that got blown up or whatever. That's not for me, because now you're you know, the definition is can you do your job right? So any one thing went another. So he helped me do a med board medical retirement board, and it just didn't turn out that I was. I was pretty apped up.
Speaker 3: I was yeah, I mean granted, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Steroids and and motrin and and p RP injections.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one to another and right, what's that little vitamin M to get you through your day?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I was living on. So I did a med board and I, you know, the medical board said, yeah, you're you're pretty fucked up, dude, We're gonna medically retire. Well, I got twenty two plus years of servicing. How's that going to work? So what I thought was going to happen is because I wasn't going to do the ten years as an officer, I was going to have to revert back to master chief. Right, So the poor unit, they're like thinking, they're planning my retirement as a master chief. I had to buy the uniform, the whole thing. And then you know, bum Ed comes back and says, oh, no, we're going to retire. When you get medically retired, you retire at the highest pay grade or the highest frank yet. So for like nine months I was at E nine and then all of a sudden, it was back to three. So I retired as a three. That was the best thing that could happen. So I retired with one hundred percent of disability for a number of reasons, not the least of which was the things we've been talking about, amongst the physical subject. But I went back to school, got used my gibil, got got my degree in history, abassadors into history, and then I got to master's in International affairs, and you know, turn my life for round. So I'm not sure if I I'm on track for answering your question, Jack, refreshment my memory.
Speaker 2: But you're on track and taking care of your kids, uh, being a family man. And you told me that you want to start a podcast.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, show show is in. The next step was like, what am I going to do with myself? How do I reinvent myself? And I struggled with the whole you know, ICEE World, Paramilitary, World, Case Officer World, all that kind of stuff, and uh, you know, meanwhile, these I have these two great kids. You know, I'm I'm blessed by God to you know, meet this woman who's so intelligent, I mean, uh, and and we have two wonderful children. And then suddenly I realized I had this wonderful opportunity to to raise kids and be present. I know so many friends on both sides army and maybe who in their in their weren't presentn't able to be present because they had career conflicts and then you know, their families were challenged by that. And if it wasn't for their you know, real strong spouse or or whatnot, you know, that was that determined the success. But back to you know, now I've got this opportunity, and very recently I realized that I think what I I would like to pursue is you know, the kind of the vet TV version of what we've all learned from being in special operations and having families, you know, how the lessons learned, the pros and cons, the funny stuff.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: I'm going to do some of what I call combat Dad basically come you know, podcasts, and it's it's to talk to vets. They don't have to be a combat vetteror necessarily, but what do you you know, how do you deal with family issues? How do you deal with you know, the challenges of raising children, Like my kids don't know nothing about my past. Like they're they're eight and six years old, right, old man, but you know, and and and they I might as well be a World War two veteran, right right, yeah, But but now they're asking questions, you know, yeah, And and I realized all the mistakes I made, all the things I learned, all the things that had I been a good dad before or in the military, I would have been a better leader.
Speaker 3: Right right, And and how does it feel as a dad when when your kids just won't follow the chain of command?
Speaker 4: Oh jeez, when you when when you realize this, this is part of the back next story to you headstrong and getting help, right when you get in the grill. You're getting your kids grill and you're like blah blah bla right, and they're like.
Speaker 2: Crying, And did I not lay out my task conditions and standards for this task?
Speaker 3: What is the problem? Here's the commander's intent here. You're left the right limits, get the get the fuck done.
Speaker 4: And you try everything right, like, okay, if you make your bed, you get to put the green check mark on the magnetic board. If you do at the end of the week, we tell you all that ship up and get you get to have you know, if you if you met the standard, you get to have moving in. Well, that sounds great, right, but it doesn't work right And then you realize is a matter of me not trying to overanalyze it, but just sitting there grabbing my kid and put my arm around him.
Speaker 3: But Drew, have you tried the the the dunk test? I mean you have you tried them? And the start the test with that round? Are taking the circle? Like maybe that'll get them in line?
Speaker 4: The pubm is it's not them, it's me, right, I don't Yeah, it's it's uh. You realize it's like you know, garbage and garbage out and and when you think you're they're not paying attention, they are, you know. So I just I just want to just say I'm blessed to have the opportunity to be president. Fact the fact that I can I get to be mister mom. Yeah, yeah, I'm blessed.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 4: I just I can't tell you I learned more from my kids than than than anything. So I have no complaints.
Speaker 3: Dad is coming the podcast? Do you do you have a channel for that?
Speaker 13: Because we want to like we want to like hook you up like like we want to we want our viewers to raid your very first podcast and and make you like, you know, unlike us with our first with our ten viewers on our first podcast, us getting drunk and and whatnot, like how can we help you make it happen?
Speaker 4: I wish i'd had the combat dads is coming. Uh, you know, maybe we can do a like a shorty in the future, Okay, and I'll give you the links. Also, Ajax Shrugged on Locals is going to be a link you can post. That's where I'm gonna talk about more serious stuff.
Speaker 3: Great, Yeah, let me let us know where the podcast comes at. And I would love to direct people. We will plug the hell out of you. We love you and we you know, we wish you all the success and it's an important topic.
Speaker 2: And Drew, I know, I know, we kind of just sort of like hit like the wave tops of your career here and there's so much more to talk about. But we've kept you for like three hours here at this point, and I really appreciate you being so patient with us and coming back on a Saturday to do the show.
Speaker 3: It's been great. It's been a great conversation. Man, my pleasure.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 3: We have one last question that came in and it's from love start and thank you very much.
Speaker 5: And guys, please, we're not accepting anymore, like we don't want you to like give us what will take you money, but we won't be able to ask you more questions.
Speaker 3: As for this, many new school labor unions are using uw unconvincial warfare tactics to conduct collective bargaining.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about homegrown submersion? Homegrown subversus challenge authority with an asymmetrical mindset, Sorry late questions, and that could be like any from from any angle and homegrown subverses, but also challenging authority, which you know, so go ahead please, okay.
Speaker 4: So one of the things I learned, Yeah, you know all we all come into the military, we all have our preconceived ideas of what we want to accomplish, and then reality sets in over time. I did fourteen deployments, right, not every one of them was combat, but but hm at least you know, many of them. Ten of them were you know, high threat slash, you know whatever. What you What you learned from that kind of repetition is to recognize not what you think, but what you see. You know, get to give the ground truth, and sometimes the ground truth doesn't dovetail with the commanders intent. So I would say maybe to answer this question, you got to dig deeper than the surface level of you know. How that applies to domestic aspects I'm I'm inferring. I'm assuming that's what's we're talking about, right, I don't even know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm assuming that because it's homegrowns versus I'm assuming we're speaking domestically.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, having seen what an insurgency is, having seen what counter you know, what terrorists cells of like having to sell this stuff, we're not seeing any of that level of stuff in the United States. I'm confidently I can tell you there is not that level of concern in the United States. There are people that are disgruntled, they're upset, and you know, they're making their their note. But but the actual scale or scope of folks that need to be dealt with on the on you know, that are being compared to.
Speaker 3: You know, other uh.
Speaker 4: Other elements is incorrect, right, And it's it's unfortunate that that narrative is being, in my opinion, being promoted. It's a it's a propaganda slash political type disinformation. As far as I'm concerned, now, are the people that that have those intents? Are those thoughts absolutely right? Is it? But is it wide scale enough to be considered prevalent to be considered you know, an insurgency or or something to be concerned about. I ya, it's not. It's not like a.
Speaker 3: Right and I mean I was a coin.
Speaker 4: Advisor in Afghanistan, right, And at the end of the day, it's like, I know counterinsurgency stuff like you know, as well as I know how to kill that guys.
Speaker 3: So right, and coin and coin is counter in certain for for our people who may not know and and so like what people may see whether their their you know, whether their viewpoint is from the left or the right, like they see the far right, they see the far left, and they see sort of this propaganda and this information that is sort of being put out there. But but what you're saying, is it that's more of an information war that it's not that the effort or or the ground gained is not similar to what you would actually see an accounter uncertainty from either side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is that fair the mass? Yeah? Absolutely, I mean, I mean there's this We could do a whole podcast on counter uncertainty aspects. But at the end of the day, this is garbage and garbage out. If someone's telling you something and you choose to believe it without without challenging the source or or doing your own due diligence, then you're just you're just you know, sheep at the end. You know, in my opinion, are we at a difficult time in our country. Absolutely, we're polarized. We need to go back to civility. We need to work hard on, you know, taking care of our neighbors, our neighborhood, our cities right, our counties, right, and finding common ground because we all share ninety percent of the same common grounds.
Speaker 3: Right, So most people are just trying to put putting there table, make sure the kids are saved in schools, like like they're trying to live a normal life, while a small minority on each side is sort of controlling the dialogue in a way.
Speaker 4: Right. Yeah, you know I want to you know, be fair to your audience to so you know I could I could tell war stories all day, right, you know there was and maybe that's man, that's better. But but we're all Americans and we need to like look for common ground and take care of your neighbors, you know, pay attention to who lives next door to you, you know, you know what what's going on, and just be a good person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drew, I really appreciate your time tonight. Yeah, And I hope we can do this again sometime. I hope we can talk you into joining us in Brooklyn sometime, if you care, if you if you care to join the evil Empire.
Speaker 3: Yea, at some point.
Speaker 4: My wife, my wife just took my son. She's taking my daughter, my son up to New York twice now. She she does these getaways, right, yeah, yeah, one on one.
Speaker 3: Let us let us know, Drew, we'll talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And I keep saying I don't want to go to Manhattan again.
Speaker 3: You don't have to, You don't have to. That's the beauty of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: My heart broken into yeah you know. Yeah, Well we'll get you an uber. Yeah yeah, leave your leave your car and a secure garage. We'll get you an uber and uh yeah so folks.
Speaker 2: Next next Friday, Chris Cox, author of fire Force uh served the Rhodesian Light Infantry.
Speaker 3: We'll have him on the show. Drew, thank you so much, Thank you everyone for we deeply deeply appreciate you coming on. Everybody will we'll keep it a lookout for combat dads and and Atlas not stro shrug a jack.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, hey, thanks guys, it's been my pleasure and we'll see you next Friday, all right, brother, Thanks everybody
Speaker 4: A