Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzale sound Fox Sports fourteen fifteen. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app Just Surgery I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, he's Jay got rying with us today. I think we're gonna hear some good Brendan's.
Speaker 3: Clips, right, I think I think it's gonna work. Yeah, this is the We're just complaining full. The questions might be a little hard to hear because this is off of my recorder and not off the your very quarter. So I try to lift the volume. Hopefully you can hear the questions. But Brandon, you can hear him players about. So let's hear the Brent Brandon press conference from today in full. So here we go.
Speaker 4: Right, good to see everybody. It's been a great summer. I really got to give Colin Carroll and our strength and conditioning staff a ton of credit. Just the effort, the energy that those guys brought every day. The way our team responded was just fantastic. So I feel great about where we're at kind of physically and and uh, you know, mentally going into the season.
Speaker 2: I think we're excited to get started.
Speaker 4: It's been a long year and but the staffs excited, you know. We July is kind of a time where the coaches get a little bit of time to be a dad or a husband or and coach Akeena's case, maybe a grandpa coach Bavers too, but and recharge a little bit. But we're back and we're excited to be back. And report day is always a special day and exciting day.
Speaker 2: And here we go started.
Speaker 3: Justin after the spring and the summer.
Speaker 5: Where you think are some things a team?
Speaker 4: That's a big question because there was a lot going on in the in the spring and summer, right, I think I think the best way I could say it is, so many of these young men made the unpopular, always the unselfish choice, and they chose to stay together. They made that choice for each other when they had right since I came on, and then also post spring practice, post spring practice, they all had forty five days where they could have chosen to stay or to go right. And there's only I think I think there was seven changes in division on football last year at head coaches, right, those are those seven schools out all had to deal with that thirty day portal the day the head coach left. That's a really unique thing and it really complicated, and I just think the players here are really special because they chose to stay committed to each other and that's not happening a lot right now in college football. So from that, from that perspective, I feel great about. You know, what we've learned over the last six months or so that we've been together is that these guys love each other and they're committed to each other, and I think that's a great place to start with the football team as far.
Speaker 3: As pos as bad as goes.
Speaker 6: You want that to get out of.
Speaker 2: Way in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: When you think that some of those comparios, that's hard to say, you know, I think some of those things are they're decisively you know, ended early in camp, and some of those things can't be determined until you start playing real football, and so that'll be a case by case basis. But I do feel good about the people that we've added to the roster.
Speaker 2: I think they've given us.
Speaker 4: A you know, we're all you're always trying to increase competition at each position, so that every single day when they're out there on the practice field, it's incredibly that it's high pressure and it's highly intense, and so that they're used to operating in the space where you know, there's success and failure and consequences. And when you have a lot of competition at each position, that just causes everybody to elevate. And that's what we're trying to do with our football team.
Speaker 3: Brian Peterson, speaking of all those newer players that have shown.
Speaker 2: Show up spree.
Speaker 7: You get integrated.
Speaker 8: To GPS, it's this first weeks that doesn't happen getting at.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, if there's people that we brought in here thinking they can have an impact in the on this football team this season, they're going to be thrown into the fire, you know. And and I tell the guys that just got here now it's a little easier for them because they've been through it, uh in another place, but they've been through it. But I tell them the same thing I told the freshmen. You know, like you're accountable for what you know, and and you know kind of the effort and your and your your attitude, like those things you can control every single day. And so as they step into being a part of this football team here. If they want to play, prove it. That's why we have practice. Prove it.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 8: Michael Levin and David I know that we're sure to talk about this season like the house settlement, that's going to have a great impact on.
Speaker 1: The next season and feature season.
Speaker 8: When you saw the one hundred and five player roster limits ten those team scholarship one hundred five players, what were your thoughts on that, how it might impact roster construction, recruiting, et cetera.
Speaker 4: My reaction was, whow, we have a lot to talk about, you know. But really, for me, at the places I've.
Speaker 2: Been the last.
Speaker 4: Twenty years, twenty plus years, we always start a camp with one oh five.
Speaker 2: That was it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It wasn't until COVID that we were able to add five more players at San Jose State. So for me, a roster of one oh five is that's sop. You know, That's what it's been. You know, that's what you brought to camp. And I was never at a school that either had a budget or could comply Title nine wise to take that roster to one thirty or one forty like some schools do. I've never experienced that, So we had to find ways to win football games with one oh five every place I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Basically, we heard a lot of people.
Speaker 10: Talk about on That's how the furbage the same. It's very similar to what the thought that stuffed with last year. How that's explained, but that you know what we have in line the players in the transition.
Speaker 2: From well, I think everybody.
Speaker 4: I mean, if if you watch a football game on any level, lots of people are running some variation of similar stuff, right, and it's comes down to the quality of players in the execution. And so for us in this instance, if there was something that Coach Fisher's staff did offensively, there was a concept of thought, a scheme that we believed in as a coaching staff, then we just borrowed the verbiage that our players were used to, so that we put the onus of learning on the coaches. So it's better to have ten guys learn it than have seventy, and so that was just a simpler way. And it's also coaches are used to that, right, We're changing names, creating new plays, learning other people's stuff all the time, and so you know that I just thought that was an easier way for us to proceed then, for us to come in here and say, hey, we're doing all this stuff and this is what we call it, and all you players here learn it. That just didn't make sense to me.
Speaker 8: Troy and Craig were a screen.
Speaker 4: All you said that you guys wanted to add two weas of the depth.
Speaker 8: Charge there and you're able to get out what you want to see out of the backup we'nac desition.
Speaker 11: What is your kind of standard guy behind th screw five?
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's one of those questions. It has to play out a little bit, you know. I thought, you know, Brayden and h and cold and in a really nice job in spring in the spring game, and I saw you You saw them both compete and throw some good balls in that in that spring game and complete some passes. So you know, adding the other two is gonna be fun. I think that part of it will again like play out over time, and uh, you know, those guys are all going to get turns, and you know, now how we manage that. We're going to get into that and kind of be a little bit specific about what we think that can be but you know, first and foremost and most important thing is getting that first group ready to go right and so and and then you know, I've been telling players this for years, but uh, you know, if you're second team thirteen, fourteen, whatever, what do you do with their chances you get? If you get two reps?
Speaker 2: Do those two reps say you should get four?
Speaker 4: Or do those two reps say you should get zero? Right, and so it'll be on them to perform.
Speaker 5: And coach Grand Steve.
Speaker 2: It makes overall picture.
Speaker 3: Seven months is probably a little bit before you tasting.
Speaker 8: You wish you got a couple four to eight to give four starts tomorrow or are.
Speaker 4: You ready to get I wish I had a couple more days on the lake, I think, But uh no, honestly, you know, with my family, but I'm excited to be back, and I think the staff is and the players, you know, with even the players that I talked to, you know over the weekend, everyone's excited to get going. It's It's the cool thing about this job is that you there's like a natural structure to your calendar, like there is a specific you know, you know what's coming. And so as you start to get into late July, everybody starts to feel that excitement. There's more football on television, there's more people talking about it. When you see people wherever, you know, out at the supermarket or at the wherever Chipotle, they're like, you guys, ready for the year, and it just it starts building that momentum and so that that part of it is exciting. I'm excited that that it's that it's it's August and we're kicking it off.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 10: So there was a lot of talk about with the coach, the player tea and spring intitially you guys are ady Microsoft tablets just with the nicasion the tables, how to.
Speaker 4: Use coach that we're going to practice with it as much as we can during training camp there. You know, we've had a lot of conversations with people about how to utilize it or you know, kind of best practices there. But I think that's going to be a little bit specific to our staff and how, you know, the value our coaches find in it and kind of what we're what we're able to like pull off of it, and how quickly we can get that stuff integrated to our process. You know, we like is as assistant coaches or you know, college coaches. We've been watching high schools do it for shoot ten years maybe more, you know, So I think we're all excited about it because of the information you're going to be getting in real time and be able to provide your players a picture or a video of what's happening in real time.
Speaker 10: Dat coach going to the lay with the family, that's such a layable part of that mission.
Speaker 2: Water ski and that's something we've done, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been going to the same lake with my family for forty years. So it's just my wife and I got engaged there twenty five years twenty four years ago, twenty five years ago. When we're up there, it's always our anniversary, which was this summer twenty on the fifteenth of July, and it's been twenty twenty four amazing years according to me, at least, I'm not sure what she'd say, but but no, it's it's just great. It's cool because now we're you know, now the third generation is up there together, so there's this group of families we've all grown up together. It's just a really special place to me, and so I always look forward to get a little bit of time up there. You say that it's Donner Lake, northern California, right by Tahoe. My mom lives there in town, right so my mom lives in Trucky. So all my brothers and sisters and their families go, and you know, as you get older, it's just hard to get the whole family together. Everybody's got work in life and kids and all that stuff going on. So so it's always a special time when we're up there together.
Speaker 8: It was asked Brian trying to confirm the Sasses drops Sean Ross.
Speaker 4: He's going to be part of us, but he's unable to participate in the fall.
Speaker 1: Don't have anybody that gets.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we'll get that list to you. Yeah, I've said before I'm not going to talk about kind of the medical issues and just not because when you do, it just becomes the whole focus of everything. And and I'm excited about the football season starting, and I want to talk about the guys that are available. That's where the story is. That's the fun stuff. Noah Fafida and t Mac and Gunner and Stukes and Manu coming back and savonaa like like you know that that's the fun stuff. And that's where I want to focus.
Speaker 12: Last question to Jenna during spring, you know where you first got your focus was really using together during spring, it is trying to get you what is your biggest focus a start.
Speaker 4: I think every football team during fall camp is trying to continue to build that connection, that brotherhood. But then there's a physical component that you really haven't been able to do with the consistency that you do in fall and this is the time where you start to build that. This is where your team comes together off the field and on the field, and it's a and it's hard, and it's hot, and it's you're tired and you're beat up. And the choices that those players make every day to get up and come together and do this again and put in the work together. It's it's the most fun part of the football season is getting started and building the football team.
Speaker 2: Well, there you have it, all right, that's it. He's there's no splash about him. Yeah, he just kind of just gives you the answers. And before we had him on the show and we talked about this with with rich Tomy and we told him about it. The last guy to be like told me is this guy. Yes, he just kind of tells you how it is, how he feels.
Speaker 3: He's not trying to be spectacular, right to be, He's not. He's not trying to be a sales guy. He's what are you talking about? What you talking about to refer He's not trying to be the circus barker, you know, He's just this is who he is. And I think that's the approach that.
Speaker 2: Works because he represents too.
Speaker 3: Because remember Mike stupids and he's jumping around and screaming and people hated that. Yeah, yeah said they hated that, but they just were uncomfortable with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're off put there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Rich kind of to that degree to him.
Speaker 2: As well, the lesser kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Then you went to someone who didn't give a crap and he just like, can you wake up? Can you please wake up and and and call this? So you know, Yeah, I mean I think he's he fits with what fans of Arizona football, yeah, want their coach to be in terms of just how he looks in his approach. So we'll see, we'll see if you can coach, we.
Speaker 2: Can talk more about that. The next hour after we talked to coach Bush, Craig Bush, the former Olympic head coach of the swimming team and team you say, and then you here as well, so we'll come back with you.
Speaker 13: The Window Depot is more than a Windows store. The Window Depot is a one softwarehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model shot. The aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doroto Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric that Dorato rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Doronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 14: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health will lead Madge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds this quest of will not Did you know?
Speaker 6: Sports cards at Memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James's Rookies SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway that's show time cards.
Speaker 15: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com that's volpe team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO nine two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, howt to commitment to Lyndrix syn Credit rates and available loan programs are subject to change with ut notice.
Speaker 5: It's award season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball and swimming seasons for youth an adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here.
Speaker 2: To serve your professional and promotional products needs.
Speaker 5: Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street, or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 7: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests. Can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Steve Breviera and Jacob Solix, they have their eye on the ball on Tucson's stay shat Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I and the Ball you know, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's jackinsaus now and if I only have former, well we have Frank Bush the former you a swim coach and also former Olympic swim coach, former former former. I bet you, I bet you have a great life for that former because you don't have to worry about anything.
Speaker 16: I think that would be putting back anything else in front of my name.
Speaker 2: How's life and how's life?
Speaker 17: One?
Speaker 2: I know it's pretty good because where you're at. But I'm sure or I lost this in a fair way. Do you miss uh what's going on now? Paris? No, No, I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm I.
Speaker 16: Having been to five Olympics, I really I don't miss all the a effort and energy that's required for the preparation and then all with things go on during the game themselves.
Speaker 3: So so you know, as a former coach and somebody who's been a part of this, he said, five Olympics, do you how do you watch them?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: How do you pay attention to them? How do you keep up with them? Or do you know, are you staying up till two o'clock in the morning to watch you know, maybe some athletes that you knew of or coach by people you know, or do you just kind of take it like the rest of us? Do you watch it when whenever, whenever it's convenient to you. How how much of a fan. Are you above it?
Speaker 16: I'm a big fan of the Olympics, but I do not chase my sleep time to watch preliminaries of any of the events. But I enjoy watching all sorts of different sports, and obviously I enjoyed watching the swimming finals.
Speaker 2: We had Chrissy perraman in about a week or so ago. She wanted to what if you ask you is she? Is she your favorite Chrissy? And I says, are there other ones? I won't get it to her story the bit, so just go ahead and say yes, I'm sure she's listening. Absolutely, yes, yes, uh uh, there was something. Oh you know, I asked her about times. You would know this better than anybody. I was watching some swimming last night, and I don't think they had at least last night. Up to last night, there have not been many world records set. What's up with that? Are they just faster back in the day or or what what's up with that?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 16: I think there's two things.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, wait, coach, coach, coach, coach, you're breaking up a lot. I'm sorry you're breaking up. We're having a heart choppy. You might want to get to the window or something. I'm not sure your your phone is breaking up.
Speaker 16: Let me see if I can't get closer to something that would easier for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, please?
Speaker 10: All right? Is this?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Much?
Speaker 2: Okay? What time?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 16: Well? I number one, I've heard and I have not read that the facility the depth that this normally is, so that would make a difference in the amount of waves that are in the pool, which would make a difference in how fast people are swimming. Interesting, And I think just just sometimes the pressure, you know, you you It's kind of like I told someone that sometimes you win ugly, you don't. That means you don't do you're not at your best. But pressure affects everybody a little bit differently, and I think I think the real grit of an athlete comes to the forefront when you when you see someone win but it's not their best performance.
Speaker 2: Well, what that's strange about the physics of the pool? If it's yeah, if it's smaller or lower, whatever it is, how does that work? Coach?
Speaker 10: E there?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, you're breaking up again. I'm sorry, you're breaking up again. I'm not sure what's going on.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I'm kind of them. Mount mcmnville, Oregon out and the boonies and on a on a farm.
Speaker 2: No, that's fine that.
Speaker 16: You want me to try and call you.
Speaker 2: Uh No, we're fine.
Speaker 3: Let's let's seah, let's let's get through this as much as best we can so we can hear you most. But Steve was asking, the depth of the pool affects speed?
Speaker 9: It does?
Speaker 16: Wow, it does if if a pool is not if a pool is not at a minimum of I think they've the testing that they've done. If aol is not minimum of at least eight feet or or maybe it's even three meters, then there's reverberation from the waves off the bottom of the pool and the side of the pool as the turbulence is being caused. So more turbulence, slower swims.
Speaker 3: Interesting because because we saw that in in in Indianapolis, they built a pool inside the inside the stadium, and they're going to do I think they're going to do that in la I don't know if that's what they've done in Paris, But so is that going to have an impact on all of that?
Speaker 16: It's it's my understanding all the Olympics that I've been to have all the the the technical improvement in putting together facilities they could put one in McHale Center. You can put one anywhere. Obviously they did that. They did that in Lucas Oil Stadium for this year's trials, and they've done that in Omaha well a few times. So yes, normally when they put in a particular company's pool, the pool is ten feet deep. I'm not sure that this.
Speaker 17: Is one of those pools, right.
Speaker 16: I don't know if this is a permanent facility, but generally speaking, these are just temporary facilities. Because if I'm not mistaken, this was Taylor Swift. Was there two weeks before the.
Speaker 17: Pool was put in?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're right. Wow, you're right, No wonder I'm slow in my pool. Just toss you, okay, you don't miss it. But I'm sure you've got great memories of being the guy with the swim team, because what, you know, what gets bigger than this, But.
Speaker 16: In our sport, not bigger. In the sport of swimming, nothing's bigger than the Olympics, And in many of the sports, nothing's bigger than the Olympics. So, uh, you know, this is where Olympic sports are. The are the place where all countries in the world, generally speaking, participate and are competitive in the sports that are offered. Now, as you can tell, there's no baseball. There's no softball in this particular Olympics. The host teams and the host countries have a little bit of a leeway in regards to wanting to bring in maybe four sports that they like and are popular in their country or in in nearby countries. And when you bring in new sports, you have to exit other sports. Right when we get when we get to LA, softball and baseball will be in for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, okay, So let's uh, you know what you mentioned, Okay, the Olympic sports, and that's a Those are two words that are tied to everything going on in college athletics right now. We've had conversations with you about nil and all that stuff. We're talking about revenue sharing and you know the impact that may have on the Olympic sports, you know, at the college level in the in the US. You know, in some you know, you hear some people talk about it. They say some of them are in danger of being eliminated because of all, you know, the money and all that kind of stuff. From where you sit, what do you see about all this? You know, you you you've got some you got a lot of background in this what's the future there, because it's it's certainly uncertain right now, but at some point we've got to figure this out, right, what we're going to do with all these sports and what they're gonna do with all the money, and where it's going to go.
Speaker 16: Okay, well, I'm going to start with first of all, the one of the biggest advantages that the United States has always had over other countries is that the uso PC does not receive any government funding, which makes it a much more agile and a much more orderly way in order to support sports. And so you don't have to go through the checkdown, government committees, task force, all that kind of stuff. So looking forward to where colleges, so the USOPC has been so dependent on colleges to put together so many of their strengths in the sports that they've sponsored, and that are Olympic sports. Right now here we are in this situation where we have not just not just the most recent settlement, the two point seven billion dollar settlement, but I would imagine the two of you have been able to read what's coming down the pike from a legal standpoint towards the NC Double A, and it's just one case after another. This is the first one of many. So the way I look at this is it's just a matter of time before the NC Double A Number one will file for bankruptcy because it won't be able to cover all the legal costs that are coming down their way once. Once that happens, I have no idea if the NCAA will continue in regards to Division two, Division three, or anything in Division one. I know the contract with Basketball and CBS in play for several more years. I don't know exactly what the end date is there, but once once all the schools decide that we want to play at we're going to play by a set of rules that they put in play both. I would imagine there's going to be some academics thrown in for what reasons. I'm not quite sure yet that I guess to make sure that we can still use the term student athlete, which, as you and I both know, is kind of turning into a joke. So as we move As we move forward with this, I'm not sure. I just know that in the next twelve to twenty four months, college sports as we've known them in the past will be so different. I'm really not sure what paths are going to go down.
Speaker 3: Well mentioned Utah coach what he said, Well, Kyle Winningham basically said that, you know, we're going to break up into two super conferences or two super leagues, and somebody's getting left behind because it's not going to be sixty right, it's not going to be or whatever the power for conferences make up. So that's going to change it all. Would you be an advocate of one of the things that's been talked about is just separating football and maybe even men's basketball, just separating those and take everything else back to more of a regional approach. I mean, why should cal tennis be going to play at North Carolina State? You know those kinds of things. Does somebody have to come out and say we need to do this and can how can that possibly happen?
Speaker 16: Well, first of all, I think that conversation has probably been had in the majority of athletic departments. I don't know that there are going to be any requirements for Olympic sports to do any travel that their budgets won't allow them to. And I would think that any athletic directors would would say to their sports that don't generate revenue that they will be you know, we want you to be within a six hundred eight hundred thousand mile radius of our campus to compete. The second thing is is that, as you know, there are only two sports. Now there may be another sport in some particular schools, but there's only two sports that actually have positive income. It's men's basketball and men's football. Everything else, everything else is a negative generator. I don't care you know what you say about women's softballer women's basketball, and what Kay and Clark has done and so forth, because the amount of travel that they do, the amount of games that are required. Just like softball every other weekend they're traveling. Basketball the other week they're traveling, so the costs are tremendous and I have no idea what that will mean to any sport that doesn't generate revenue. However, we haven't mentioned much about Title nine yet, and any school that receives government funding is going to have to probably not be able to wink anymore about the fact that that they're compliant with Title nine, because I don't know any school in the country it's even close to being compliant.
Speaker 2: With title nine.
Speaker 16: So there are so many there are so many things in effect right now that I really can't predict what's going to happen to the sports that don't generate revenue.
Speaker 2: Right Well, let me ask your selfish question that you'll have to kind of be honest if you want to answer it, and I know the answer. I think we both know the answer. You're a heck of a coach. You were a heck of a coach, and you got the best out of your kids, obviously because he did so. Well, what do you think your secret sauce is or was? I think I know what it is.
Speaker 16: I think the best coaches are the ones that are the best communicators, because if you build a relationship with your athletes, and I'm not talking about a friendship relationship, I'm talking about a respect relationship with your athletes, then they're going to do whatever you ask them to do, and they're going to enjoy the process because they know that you're doing it for their good and there and they know that they're going to be their best if they follow that plan. But it's it just to me, it's it's if they believe in you. That's ninety percent of everything.
Speaker 2: No, and that's it, because it's like with Luke or people, they run that extra mile they want they don't want to disappoint Frank Bush. In fact, we again, we had Christian a week or so ago, and she said, you put her, you pulled her aside and says, I'm not sure if this is going to work. She had to get you know, told this is not going to work, and you said, come back in a couple of days or whatever, and maybe you read about your life and she said, I did that and it changed my world.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's there's and you know, there are some athletes that you that you try and you continue to try, and you continue to try to.
Speaker 12: Work with it.
Speaker 16: Sometimes they're just not ready. And you know the old saying, when the when the when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. And that's really the way that it worked. And so in her particular case, she realized that she had put so much time and effort into something and didn't want to I didn't want to disappoint anybody. And I think when you come to that realization that you love something enough that you're willing to give whatever it takes, then it becomes a life changer.
Speaker 2: Coach. Let me say next time on or if I I remember on who wants to be a millionaire? Can you use you as my phonal friend? You're so damn smart.
Speaker 16: Oh, you guys, you give me too much credit for anytime, anytime I can help the U of A and anytime I can help out sports. I am happy to talk.
Speaker 2: Well, enjoy your grandkids, enjoy Oregon, and thanks a bunch for today. Always good nice talking to you. Got it, Thanks, Frank, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: You, dude, the good smart, one more guy who's just smarter than the both of us combined.
Speaker 2: See a lot of things. He said it there in terms of timele lining, and they wink wink about it.
Speaker 3: Well, I yeah, I mean didn't we think that everybody's supposed to be complying? Don't you?
Speaker 2: Is there a law that says you're supposed to so apparently just there is, But it doesn't really matter. You can drive seventy seventy eighty five in the seventy five while did they said somebody else? I can't remember what it was. That that kind of like, well, really that's the pool thing was what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, making waves, I'm just dating class.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly because I you know, I just kind of stayed the three foot in anyways, right, you gonna sit on the steps and that's it, man, See doo, sit on the steps, suck down a beer, and I'm all good.
Speaker 2: Your honor.
Speaker 3: I told you who was not a swimmer. We gotta go litten again, take our last break. We're gonna come back. We've got some clips from Duye Aquina and for Arizona fans who have been listening to me talk about how dreading the season after a great season, Uh, Duane, I think Coach a Quina, I think had some good stuff to say about that.
Speaker 2: So stick around if you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is formal while get Leman Huntley with the Arizona Health Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We offer a complete line of cardio machines, multigms and free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with co right equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment. What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PEMA dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 18: Ready but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today.
Speaker 2: That really Insured and CEUA. Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 6: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts for over twenty years.
Speaker 2: We want you to join the action.
Speaker 6: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income. Come be a part of a winning team the A Team apply online today at a Team security dot net.
Speaker 1: Steve Bravera and Jake and Salez they have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Steage yet Fox Sports fourteen to fifty streaming live. I mean, iHeart Radiom.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to win the ball, you know, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, He's Jay. We got Ryan with us. We got fifteen minutes. If you want to call, please do. But we're going to get to the kin of stuff as well, right, not all.
Speaker 3: Of it, just some of it. Well there's only two, Yeah, just a couple of moneys.
Speaker 2: He was long for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, while we were with them for twenty minutes that I was he was supposed to be gone. I mean they actually they he was in the middle of of what I was hoping was going to be a great answer and they pulled him out. Yeah, it's stapping to get to. But he talked about two two things that came up, and you know, just in that time and that a little bit of time, but there were two things that I really wanted to pull out of that. And again I've been talking about, you know, these ten win seasons that Arizona has had, there have been four of them. Last year was the fourth one after the other three things went south. You know, they didn't reach the expectations that they had. So you know, in this first clip, he's he's going to talk a little bit about the ninety two seasons, all right, and so hear this out because to me, this clip gives me some hope, I guess, or makes me feel better about what we might see this coming year. So let's play this first clip where he goes back in time a little bit because he was he was the defensive coordinator on that team, and I think he was also he was also the DC for the ninety eight team. So let's let's play this first clip from Duane Quina.
Speaker 11: After being here for two weeks, I remember going home Tilly Donald, you know, I mean, I really like the vigue.
Speaker 19: In the defense ave out because I think, and then we'll find out, we'll.
Speaker 11: Find out how we are when life girl, let's go.
Speaker 19: And then I really knew after the Mississippi States game was because it was an opportunity for people to play favor and the only ones that we pointed where they are.
Speaker 17: So we still could have been better defensively.
Speaker 11: You know, nobody was the man this time.
Speaker 19: None of it was in how can we just keep getting better? And that's when I knew that we really had a chance.
Speaker 10: And last year.
Speaker 11: Reminded me so much of the ninety two seasons. Me and Jimmy Young were talking about this because you know, we went into that manager and at the only the one, one and one every.
Speaker 19: Few guys, good friends, but you know, we weren't the favorite people in Tucson walking out.
Speaker 2: But we went there and we was tough one.
Speaker 9: We kicked the dog out of the man, beat the dog out of them, and we missed a field with no time left Jack and then that thing just got us rolling.
Speaker 19: And by the end of it, now we could have lined up and played anybody in the country. And we beat Washington, you know, and then we went on aheather. That's what it reminded me of last year. We had a tough one at this seat because I thought we had a chance of being a good defense. I just didn't know how good you And you know how when you take over a new program, they had gotten beaten.
Speaker 3: Up, The defense had gotten beaten up.
Speaker 11: As I was hearing the histories with the coaches that have been around, so part of that is to change the attitude. And so we really did play well against sc We let that one get away, that one, that one I think, okay, we should have had a chance. And then we played Washington very well, and that's why I just remember the discussions me and Jim were having after that Miami came.
Speaker 3: We still have a chance to get to see worlding.
Speaker 19: And then we went out and then every game became a bigger game.
Speaker 11: And I was sharing that to the defensive staff after we went and played Washington State afterward, and that was.
Speaker 16: Not a fair fight.
Speaker 19: I mentioned it in the staff game. This got a chance time like two and we just kept getting little better better, and then the defense kind of what we thought, they started really trusting and believing that because you know, they had a tough go over two years.
Speaker 9: Behime, all part of it is.
Speaker 18: Where we are today.
Speaker 3: You know, I think we gained some national respect.
Speaker 19: The biggest thing that I know about being here.
Speaker 11: There's been a lot of ground work laid down, a lot of sacrifice.
Speaker 3: To get to this.
Speaker 16: Plights here everybody there.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 11: The key is just to maintain, you know, stay away from the outside knowings. I don't read the magazines and the arm shirts. Some nice things have been said about us.
Speaker 3: Collectively or individually.
Speaker 19: You know, now with all the outside knows you're transmit to ani Am, Now it's family, it's friends, it's students.
Speaker 11: To block all that out and not listen to any of that.
Speaker 3: You're poison.
Speaker 9: Don't need to choose, however, you choose to say it, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: And that's our job.
Speaker 19: If somebody's getting out a way like I'm uprot, I would call you. But maintaining that it's kind of a trick. I'm not getting complacent. I don't think we could be there, but.
Speaker 3: You know what I right?
Speaker 2: So that was it, right, It was good he was.
Speaker 3: And what he talked about was he compared for I've been comparing last season's ten and three to their un of the ten and three season. He compared last season to the ninety two season, which, as we all know, the next season was when they won ten games in one and bet and won the Fiskebal. People forget, and I'm looking at the schedule right now. People forget that there was that great win against Washington, number one in the country, beat them, you know, beat him six sixteen to three. Here one the greatest wins, if not the greatest win in Arizona football history. They lost their next three games after that, and that season turned out ended up on a huge downer. Yeah, you know, so they they you know they they went to USC, got beat fourteen to seven, as you came and beat him here seven to six on a long run late in the game, and then they went over to Baylor and laid laid hughe egg there. I mean went to the Sun Bowl later, UJ gets Baylor that that team ended up going six and five, and it is widely considered one of the best teams in Arizona ever because the desert swarm. But people forget the hit. That team had no offense and and but my point is he saw and we talked about this, Steve, Remember we talked about we compared the USC game last year to the Miami game from the ninety two season, where close it was a loss against a team that you were completely outmanned by, but yet you felt that turned things for you. And it did. And he just said that's where he thought the season turned for Arizona last year.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: No, that's very insightful. One of the things that I think that will help to the cause of not feeling complacent is the staff is different. You're playing for a different staff. They know what happened, but they weren't part of what happened, right, So that'll keep the kids on edge to get them to continue to play like they used to play.
Speaker 3: I think it's a huge factor. I think it's a huge factor because Brent Brennan isn't coming here off of you know, we had a great season last year. Brent Brennan's coming here. This is his team. Now he's you know, Brent Brennan's in a position where isn't as best possible, He's coming into a program that is turned it around. He doesn't have to turn it around. It's turned around for him.
Speaker 2: It would only apply if Jed was here, right, because then he'd have to kind of rEFInd the magic again, right, and sometimes it's hard to do.
Speaker 3: It's hard to do. So we so this next clip we talked more about the ninety eight season. Now he'll he got a little confused and mentioned the Sports Illustrated number one ranking that was after the ninety three season. For going into ninety four. He put it in the context of ninety eight because that's, you know, the ninety nine season that they weren't But he had interesting, some interesting things to say about that ninety eighteen or the ninety nine team, which I thought there was something that was new to me there as well. Listen, it's only about the minute clips, so listen.
Speaker 16: To this, and I don't think where the yeah, you know, the ninety eight.
Speaker 19: One was yeah, cover the Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 9: Number one in the country.
Speaker 2: Okay, so private inside because so much of that comes.
Speaker 11: Off of the last year's to me, right, well, I look to get.
Speaker 19: Well callous to working on all lost.
Speaker 2: You know, so we lost some major pieces there.
Speaker 11: So and we line up in Penn State, are you kitty?
Speaker 7: Then?
Speaker 10: Okay?
Speaker 11: And I still remember I'm not even sure I could share this story, but you know, we weren't.
Speaker 19: We knew that that was a reach, but it was that was impressive. Yeah, and you know, so the bar gets set so hot, right, and so I think we've got to be realistic, you know, by no means it would be something if you could put together a dynasty like that here, you know, I think that's what.
Speaker 3: We shoot for. But you know, we've got to be realistic.
Speaker 11: But I do think this team, I think after watching them in.
Speaker 19: The off season, I don't see anything where, you know, we're not working as hard or something of that nature.
Speaker 2: See, and that was part of it, right, and so they'll see that they're not working as.
Speaker 3: They can tell. Yeah, right, they can tell. And that was one thing that he said that. The other thing was the Penn State thing was to reach And it sounded like them as coaches were saying, what the hell are we doing? Why are we doing this?
Speaker 2: Where were you?
Speaker 3: Where were you when you watched that game at home? And the party we had a party. You're gonna laugh, Okay, this is my group. We had a sleep over because the game was at nine o'clock in the morning. So what we did we had to sleep over at my brother's house. There are probably twenty people at his house. We were sleeping on floors. We had a big barbecue. But then we got got up early in the morning. We made we made a tardiso on eggs breakfast, watched, you know, watch the pregames and stuff. Then the game started and by halftime have everybody was oh sure.
Speaker 2: I remember watching it with Armando Rios. A few of us got a little party at his place and it was it was over before you knew it. Yeah, and we're thinking, I say, I think I said this day. Dick didn't want to hit anybody didn't. Yeah, probably practice. He didn't want anybody hurt for the game, right, and they were used to.
Speaker 3: Right, and and and Penn State just obliterated them physically the hell out of the bar Airrington, you know. And I'm like that was that wasn't it just wasn't fair and and but it so it also sounds like he said, we knew, right, they knew that this was not a good idea. But so that was something I learned from that. But you know, but again it being that, you know, what I like to hearing him say is that I don't think I've seen anything that tells us that our guys haven't worked as hard, aren't as complete. And he's not gonna tell us if they aren't. But he's not going to say that, right, He's just not going to address it if he didn't feel like the team has been working hard enough to get ready for this season. And again, like you said, with a new coaching staff, all these guys, you know, if you want to keep playing, you had a new coaching staff to impress. There's nothing you know, if Jake, Jake, Jed and his staff were here, and these players know the coaches and they can say, well, he knows me, he knows I'm good. These these these guys have to prove themselves all over again to a new coaching staff.
Speaker 2: Well, he even mentioned that. I thought that was interesting how we said, you know, when Brian asked him about the playing and the new guys, come, no, they're here to play. If you're here to play, they're gonna play, right, right, we just didn't get them to bring them here. They're gonna play. And and and the two reps thing. If you have two reps, you want to get four reps. Right. If you get two reps and you didn't do those two good reps, you're gonna get No, you're not gonna get two more. Yeah right, yeah, And that's how you get better. It's to that reps. I mean, it's it's like when you go to practice, what do you get better practice?
Speaker 16: Right?
Speaker 2: You don't get better in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you can't get better in the game, But but you have to do the work in practice. You have you have five practices leading up to that game. You better get better in practice, and then you've got one more opportunity to do that.
Speaker 2: This is how it was, at least one of the things I learned. You win games Monday through Friday, and you show what you've learned on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Or is that you know I've told you that story, you know where Dick told me years after the ninety four seasons said they lost that season went south in the summertime. You know, they didn't do the work in the summer for that ninety four season. I know, I'm gonna put pool a lot of things. But it happens in football, It happens forever in basketball. You you you have the peacock feathers come up, yeap, and and you think, okay, I look good.
Speaker 2: You look good, play good? Blah blah blah. Did you get your ass?
Speaker 3: Had a tea?
Speaker 2: You did? And you say, what the hell just happened? Did they know we were good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, there's a reason they want to kick your ass too. They want to be they're the U of A to your Washington be number one or the Notre Dame. Right, Oh, it's not gonna happen to us. It happens all the time.
Speaker 3: It happens all the time, and and it happens everywhere.
Speaker 17: Right.
Speaker 3: You know, you've seen other teams that come on you go, okay, they're going to be great. You know what's gonna happen in Washington this year? Right, what's gonna happen in Michigan this year?
Speaker 2: I was gonna play Miami in the Fismal?
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: What was that?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 2: Miami Carey want to be there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't want to be there and they got their asses kid right right right, and they were coming off a national championship, So you know, yeah, I mean you look and when you're dealing with eighteen to twenty two year olds, when it's eighteen to like thirty year olds. But anyways, you know those things are going to happen, you know, from year to year, and you and you got to be ready for those And as coaches, I wouldn't say you guard against it, but you make sure you do things that you know that that you keep an eye out for the signs so you can address those things to make sure that your guys are working hard enough and that nobody's taste slacking and then everybody's working towards the same thing. But as you said, I think this new coaching.
Speaker 2: Staff right well, the fresh out, freshen up, keep on the keep them on the go.
Speaker 3: So I feel a whole lot better about the fact that they're coming off a ten win season and this could be the first one goes back to back, right where they could go back to back and maybe nine, maybe eight. But what you don't want is for them to go lose to New Mexico or lose to a s U, or lose to a team who's asked you should kick and then you know, rose to hell in a hand basket. Yeah, you know, so so what that that you know, that's where that's where I think, that's what I'm gonna be looking for. You want them to come out against New Mexico, you know, and beat the living crap out of them, right and and you know, take no prisoners, you cover the thirty and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just show who you are, right yeah, right, yeah, okay, Hey, no good show today stuff.
Speaker 3: Thank you to Frank Bush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need smart people.
Speaker 3: To raise the intelligence stuff. It's hard to do, Ryan does it.
Speaker 2: Texas City's always loves be good, good.
Speaker 3: All right, good, good stuff. All right. We will be back tomorrow. We'll talk some more football because we're getting started. There's a practice tomorrow, so I don't know if you're going, Steve, I think I'm gonna try and catch a little bit of it, but we'll we'll come and report into what we see, so be sure to be back tomorrow