Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Psychic Teachers. I am your host, Deb Bowen.
Speaker 2: And I'm Samantha Fay, and we're.
Speaker 1: So excited that you are with us this week. And I am so excited that Samantha is back with me this week. Samantha, I know you've had a busy few weeks with house stuff and moving and so much stuff going on in your world, and in the midst of all of that, we've had a time change here in the US in most states, and I wonder if in the process of all of your moving the time change was difficult for you more so than normal.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, losing that hour is something I definitely needed, But what can you do. I'm finally settled in and I just want to say thank you, Deb for taking the helm of the show and doing such a great job. I really appreciate it, and I'm so excited for what you've come up for us today.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it was precipitated by me being curious about the time change as it is around the world, because it's different in different places, and it's even different here in the United States. And I'll talk about that in a minute. But the truth is, I truly dislike this spring time change. It takes me forever to adjust. Fall is so much easier. I just ease into that having that extra hour back in autumn, and in spring my body rebels. I guess that time change.
Speaker 2: You know what the worst is for me is, you know, like my phone automatically changes the time, but in the kitchen, on the oven and their microwave, you have to manually go in and do it. And those first few days, don't you always forget that and I'll be getting ready and making my tea, and I'm like, oh, I've got way more time than I thought I did.
Speaker 1: I don't forget it. I actually am very, very overconscious of it. I do change the stove clock, but I have an old fashioned analog clock next to my bed, and I leave that with the old time for several days so that I can kind of adjust into it.
Speaker 3: So I live on that.
Speaker 1: It's probably not the healthiest thing to do, but I live on dual time during that a week or so after we make that crazy time change. It might be interesting for folks to know this. Hawaii and Arizona, except for the Navajo Nation, never change their clocks, nor do the territories of American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. None of them observe this crazy time change madness. Wow, I knew Arizona, but I did not know about the others.
Speaker 2: You know, they were going to change it. They were just going to do away with daylight savings times. But I guess all the parents who have to help their kids get to school super early and wait for the buses didn't want their children waiting in the dark for a bus.
Speaker 1: So that will and I understand that. But you know, yeah, it's controversy for many years under many administrations, but nonetheless, here we are. And so this time change got me to thinking about time and space and whether or not these concepts are real or not, and how they relate to our metaphysical world. So I went down a rabbit hole in researching this whole concept. And you've heard of say often on this show, time isn't real anyway, It's an illusionary construct. Eckertoli, who wrote the Power of Now, writes that the only time we have is now and that the now is powerful. Einstein is credited with saying that time is speeding up, although We're not really sure that's an accurate quote. But let's just do something here for a minute, Samantha. Let's suppose that time is both real and an illusion. Let's entertain the notion in this episode of the ambiguity of time. Suppose for a minute that you could travel back in time. Suppose the past, present, and future are constructs that do not apply to the quote real world. What if in the world of quantum physics something called negative time exists? And here's what I mean. The BBC recently published an article by researcher Richard Fischer entitled the Bizarre Quantum Paradox of Negative Time. Fisher is the author of quote The Long View, why we need to transform how the world sees time, and he says, and the quantum world, our intuitive grasp of past, present and future may not apply. He explores the discom bobulating concept of negative time are what he calls retro causality.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Okay, So here's an example he gives us. Tony's soprano is smoking a cigar driving home. His journey begins in Manhattan, where he enters the Lincoln Tunnel headed towards New Jersey. There's no traffic, So he passes through in a few minutes, emerging into daylight, and so begins the familiar opening credits of the Sopranos TV show. I imagine folks who watch that and know what I'm talking about. In the physical world of Mafia Bosses, one event follows another. So if Tony strikes a match to light a cigar, this needs to happen before the tip of the cigar ignites. Such causality appears to be fundamental to how we experience the universe. However, at the quantum level, temporal sequencing is not so clear or intuitive, Fisher says. In recent years, physicists have been exploring behaviors which seem to throw our understanding of past, present and future into question. So imagine that a spy helicopter is watching Tony emerge from the Lincoln Tunnel, but from the spy's perspective, Tony leaves the tunnel before he enters it. When the spy checks their watch, Tony has spent a negative amount of time going through the tunnel. Certainly this is impossible, but is it, asks Fisher. So he says that physicists are experimenting with the notion of the duration of negative time. In their experiments, they sent light pulses through the equivalent of a tunnel, but like Tony Soprano's puzzling drive, the pulse has apparently spent less than zero time traveling through. So Fisher says that that's not the only baffling example of temporal strangeness at very small scales. Theorist think it's conceivable that some particles could even change the past from the future via an effect called, as I've mentioned, retrocausality.
Speaker 3: In the quantum world, it.
Speaker 1: Seems our familiar understanding of time quickly becomes disoriented.
Speaker 3: Hang in there, we're going to try to make sense of that.
Speaker 2: Wait, I kind of understand that.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got me out here.
Speaker 2: Well, not in a science y way, but there have been times when I've been doing readings for people and I'll see that they've broken like a generational pattern, or I'll see that they've healed something really big, like maybe an addiction issue. And oftentimes I'll get the message that this is helping the ancestral line, that it echoes back into the past the healing that they're doing now. And I wonder if that's what he's talking about. Where he says that future events can affect past events.
Speaker 1: I think maybe, so hold on to that thought and let's come back to it as we get towards the end, because I think that we will wrap it up with some of that Okay. The United Nations has designated this year as the International Year of Quantum Science and Technology, as we celebrate the one hundredth anniversary of the development of quantum mechanics.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 1: One of the lesser known experiments in research on the puzzling way that light tunnels through barriers, such as clouds of atoms, which is fascinating to me. In the nineteen ninety physicists fired photons through a barrier as a wave packet, which is a bundle of waves that describes both the particles and the wave of natural light. Interestingly, the packets peak apparently emerged before they entered, like a car leaving a tunnel before it drove in. The idea was actually proposed in the mid twentieth century, but finding a way to create an experiment to observe it proved difficult and tricky. Basically, the theory proposed that light could travel faster than itself, which is nonsensical Moreover, events in time were apparently occurring out of order. Well, Lord have mercy, we have to find a new way to reconcile that with our ideas of causalicity, says physicist Steinberg of the University of Toronto.
Speaker 2: Wait, so saying like, we're using Tony soprano oddly as an example. So he has to light the lighter before the cigar can work and do its magic for him. But this is saying there's no such thing as causality, So the cigar could be lit before he even strikes a match on the lighter.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Wow, that things happen out of order, and sometimes in basically reverse order. So Weinberg and his fellow physicists proposed that the wave packet, how light and moves through, was not time traveling, but reorganizing itself to give the appearance of effect coming before cause. So back to the tunnel. Imagine a line of cars driving between New York and New Jersey. We might picture them as one hundred Tony sopranos, each driving bumper to bumper. These represent photons in a wave packet. Now imagine that the line of Tony's depart Manhattan at one pm. At around one point thirty, the midpoint of this car train enters the Lincoln Tunnel. This is the peak of the wave packet. You would expect this peak to emerge a few minutes later, right, however, the peak has already left the tunnel at one twenty five. Tony Soprano is apparently a time traveler. What may actually be happening in this quantum level in this side this barrier is not all the photons are making it through in the car analogy. Some Tonys are getting pulled over or turned back in the experiment, and they are absorbed or ejected by adams within the barrier. When this happens, the forward tail of the wave packet reshapes itself into a new peak. It looks uncannily like the one entering. So imagine this. Imagine that you've seen all these cars in line, and you kind of have this idea of they're all moving forward in one direction, but they're really just like freeze frame points in time on like an old fashioned camera video camera, so that you just see a part of the same one car along the way, and then you begin to see, oh, yeah, it's just the same thing it's just the way the camera is taking the pictures like boom.
Speaker 3: Boom boom, boom boom.
Speaker 1: So it's more complex in that, of course, and more than we can attempt to explain. But here's the gist of Steinberg's explanation. So what appears to be a violation of physical laws is more like a reorganization within the light pulse. Basically, no particle is experiencing negative time, and there's no faster travel than light travel. But wait, there's more. More recent experiments after Steinberg's group have added a new twist and can't be explained yet. Whereas physicists in the earlier work we're observing an apparent negative delay a pulse leaving a barrier before it entered. In more recent research, a team led by physicist Daniella Angelo Marcello was in fact able to calculate a negative duration. A negative measurement of duration has added a new level of strangeness in the.
Speaker 3: Car analogy that we're working our way through.
Speaker 1: Tony Soprano is spending less than zero amount of time in the tunnel, and it can't be explained by the same wave packet reshuffling that explained the negative delay so now somebody is saying this morning.
Speaker 2: Wait, so he's not even in the tunnel.
Speaker 1: Well, he's there, but less than a zero amount of time.
Speaker 2: Wow, Tony's fast, is he not?
Speaker 1: So this is a whole other layer to this notion of Okay, first of all, there may be like negative time, but now we see it totally reshuffling. So when this weirdness was explored in the nineteen nineties, people have tried to make some sense of it. But looking again a little deeper, the mystery appears to now be kind of there's something here that is truly seemingly paradoxical. It, says Josiah Sinclair, who is at MIT who worked with Steinberg and his colleagues in recent years. There's no clear correspondence to the world that we know, the physical world experience, and so we're just left saying, okay, well, I guess quantum mechanics are just different, says Sinclair. We and this is in quotes here, This is not dam talking. We understand mathematically why it's happening, but we don't know how to talk about the physical meaning of it. Sinclair says, there's no clear correspondence to the world that we know the physical world we experience, and so we're just left saying, Okay, I really do guess.
Speaker 3: This is just different.
Speaker 1: But if you think this is strange, quantum Mechanics has even more bewilderment in store.
Speaker 2: This is bigging of my headspin because all I can think about several years ago I took the kids to an animated movie called Wrecket Ralph. I'm going to assume pretty positively that you've never seen it dev.
Speaker 3: That would be a true statement.
Speaker 2: Yes, But it's about a character, Ralph, who is the star of a video game, but he doesn't know he's the star of a video game. He thinks he just wakes up and has this job to do where he wrecks everything, and finally, through the help of some of his cast and characters, he realizes he's in a video game and it's about how he is trying to break out of it. Doesn't this make you feel like we're little Wrecket Ralph's in our own video games and this is all just a created illusion?
Speaker 1: Well you do wonder about that? Or you think back to Greg Braiden, I mean in the Matrix, right, Yeah, yeah, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I think we should take a quick break and give everybody's brain time to settle, OK, and we will be right back. Welcome back everyone, All right, Dad, bring us back down into this tunnel.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: But stay with us here, folks, because at the end we really are going to talk about why this matters, or at least what I thought I think it matters about. So this notion of retrocausality, the idea that particles may be able to change the past from the future, which is what Samantha was talking about a few minutes ago with some of the reading work that she's done. While this idea doesn't have the observational evidence of the quantum tunnel experiments, it's a prospect taken seriously by physicists. The reason is that such temporal weirdness would help to solve an apparent impossibility that has been observed that they're calling, quote, spooky action at a distance. Wait, science meets ghostbusters, Well not quite. This spooky action happens when two particles are entangled, which means they are strongly connected regardless of how far apart they are physically. In principle, they could be opposite sides of the universe. But when science measure, scientists measures, say the spin or polarization of one entangled particle, a corresponding property of its entangled partner becomes instantly determined. So I envisioned when I hear the word particle, I kind of think of this. Well, actually, my vision of it is kind of this short string and ones over here on one side of the universe and ones on the other side, and there's somehow or another deeply cosmetically connected, so that if somebody pokes one, the other one responds exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, it makes me think of love. All those stories we've read and seen through the years of say twins or a parent and child, or partners who are on opposite sides of the world or the country, and something happens to one in the other one feels it. I mean, how many stories have we read like that?
Speaker 1: A zillion exactly, And that's exactly the image I had as I was reading this material. So back to the Sopranos as our example, it's a bit like if Tony had a twin brother who lived in California. If Tony orders veal at a restaurant in New Jersey, his brother's order at a Los Angeles restaurant instantly becomes veal too, or perhaps fish. The properties needn't be identical, but the key point is that the brother's meal is not determined until that moment. I'm not sure that's the best example I would give, but I think it's this notion of and we've done this with friends. For example, You're in a restaurant on your cruise and I'm in a restaurant where we live, and we think about each other, and poof, we've both ordered the same or similar meal because we've been thinking about each other.
Speaker 3: It's that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So it's possible to show mathematically that those correlations that are not explainable in terms of a common cause in the past, says physicist Emily Adlam at Chatham University in California. She says it looks naively as though there's some kind of instantaneous signal going from one particle to another telling the particle what measurement you perform, or vice versa. That's pretty weird. Physicists don't think that signals should be able to be sent faster than light. And I read that and thought, I don't know that I agree with that exactly.
Speaker 3: The reasons we've just said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, same, I mean intuition is instantaneous.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, there's something cosmic I think that's being left out of this whole equation of this conversation. So one way to get around this, according to these researchers, one way to get around the spooky action at a distance problem also known as non locality, and I want to come back and ask you about that, Samantha, is to invoke retrocausality. This scenario, information does not need to pass instantaneously between the particles across space. It happens across time. And that of course, when I read that word non locality, I thought of your Cherish padre Pio.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and how he was able to bylocate, blocate.
Speaker 3: That's the word I was looking for. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if this is true, it's this notion of time is the key here. It would mean that a measured particle passes information into the past to the moment it was entangled with its pair, with its twin, and then forwards to the motion and the moment at which the measurement happens. Or in the Sopranos analogy, Tony's meal order in New Jersey goes back to when the two twins were in the womb and then forwards to the California restaurant. Oh, that's some time travel. So here's my questions. What quantum physicists are calling retrocausality, which I think is a word I love. Is it that we Isn't that what we do when we're deeply connected to somebody? I mean, you and I both have had psychic connections to people we love in which communication happens beyond a time space continuum. For example, how many times have you picked up the phone to call one of your daughters and she's on the line calling you, and neither of your phone says yet to make the first ring?
Speaker 2: Oh all the time. How many times have you and I shown up to meet each other for lunch and we're wearing the same colors?
Speaker 1: Oh, we did that at Christmas? Remember we did, And we didn't talk about that. You know, we did not have that thing.
Speaker 2: No, I would never call up to and say what are you wearing?
Speaker 1: I know I wouldn't call Samantha because I know she'd say something big and fuzzy and that would be the end of that too. But we do that, we do, and this is this goes beyond science. To me, this is that meta physical, beyond the physical concepts that we say deeply believe in. So going down that rabbit hole of time connection, it made me think about time travel, and this notion of retrocausality is a counterintuitive concept for most of us to get our heads around. Still, if it's true, the universe would have to work differently than we currently imagine. Adam says, in one scenario, two timelines would essentially sit side by side. When people mention retrocausality, what they seem to have in mind is a picture in which there's a forward evolution and a backward evolution of the universe. It's a picture with two separate and independent causality arrows, that kind of dynamical picture of retrocausality where you have literally forward and backward processes happening in the same combination. So when I read that material, I thought, Okay, so she's envisioning these two parallel lines of time that work forward and backwards with each other, kind of like oh, I don't know rail road ties, you know, And I'm not sure that I would agree with that, nor is she She says that she does not think that this is a very appealing way to think about retro causality because you can get inconsistencies, contradictions, and paradoxes instead. She argues that retrocausality is more plausible if we live in what's known as a block universe.
Speaker 3: Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: This is a hypothetical and philosophically controversial model of existence where all moments in time, past, present, and future exists inside a four dimensional object. So I guess we're in a cube, right yeah. I have to tell you when I thought about how all in the metaphysical world we say something to the effect I've heard me and you both do it. I hereby release whatever it is in all directions.
Speaker 3: Of time and space, right yeah? So do we live in that block?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because I'm thinking of a block with four corners, and the past is in one, the present is in the second, the futures in the third, what's in the fourth exactly?
Speaker 1: So hold on to that, because if this block is filled with every event that ever has or will happen, then it's easier to see how some hypothetical influence could pass between particles within it, says Adlam to explain the spooky actions of the entangled particles. Information would not need to travel backwards on some alternative retrocausalital timeline. There's no temporal flow, she says. Time is just another dimension within the block rather than being a material thing that moves. So she says, that's your fourth corner.
Speaker 2: So rather than taking a straight line as we perceive time now with past on the left and present in the middle of that line, in the future and the right of that line, take that line and form it into a square or a box. Yes, and then that could help to explain why we always say like your word is your echo, because it's all just in that same box. So everything we do not only does it echo back into the past in the future, but it echoes back into our present reality as well.
Speaker 3: That's basically what I think. She say, yes exactly. So if this is a case.
Speaker 1: We have arrived at what may be the most troubling implication of all about quantum mechanics, and it's weird temporal behavior. If you accept the most fatalistic interpretation of the block universe, then like Tony Soprano, we're all just characters, like we were just saying in some cosmic TV show, we may experience life episodically, but our future is just as determined as our past. So when you're currently in the middle of your story and here's a spoiler alert, your own finality, the moment where everything goes black, may already have been written. Is it possible? Rather than that the block notion of predetermined causality, we explore the idea of time travel as a real possibility. So this block thing does not make us happy, right, I don't know it.
Speaker 2: Could though, I mean, okay, well, just imagine that you are in some cosmic TV series or video game, okay, deb's magical tunnel, I don't know, all right, and you realize that and everything is predetermined. I feel like there's if we surrender to that, there's some piece and comfort in that, Like, all right, well, I'm just gonna enjoy this moment of this game.
Speaker 1: So if we if we accept the premise you've just provided us here, then any choice in every choice that we all we make is already predetermined and and it's just gonna happen the way it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just exhale, relax, and have fun with it.
Speaker 1: And you know, I know people who can do that, Samantha. I have friends who literally see the world that way, and I'm always so jealous of them because I can't do that. I'm too much of a control freak.
Speaker 2: I know. Well, and then I think I found this little podcast where it's just like different screenwriters and showrunners and they talk about like really really famous TV shows and how they were given a trajectory for one character and then they were like, yeah, no, that's not going to happen. We need we need to rewrite that. So when I get stuck in my head that this is all the matrix or the block universe, sir, a TV show, what have you, I always think, well, I just need to contact this showrunner and ask for a rewrite. It's possible.
Speaker 1: Well, it is possible. And you know, I mean, I've been in enough place where we rehearse and rehearsing, rehearsal, rehearse, and every rehearsal is different, and every show is different, and yet the general premise is the same, and there are things you can control in things you can't. And I've seen that really as a metaphor for how we do life. And yeah, you know, sometimes there are some rewrites. I don't know if we can consider the notion that time travel is real. So, rather than thinking about Tony Soprano, win that Lincoln Tonneald, let's talk about Doctor Who and Tartists. How can anyone watch Doctor Who and not believe time travel is a real thing. Even if you don't believe in fairy tales or love science fiction, you can love Doctor Who. So, in his article is Time Travel Really Possible? Author Michael Marshall says the ability to jump forward and backwards in time has long fascinated science fiction writers and physicists alike, So is it really possible to travel into the past and the future? Doctor Who is arguably one of the most famous stories about time travel, alongside the Time Machine and Back to the Future. It has explored the temptations and paradoxes of visiting the past and voyaging into the future in the TV show. I imagine most folks know this, of course, but Doctor travels through time in The Tartists, which is an advanced craft that can go anywhere in time and space. Famously, however, the Tartist defies our understanding of physical space as we all know it. While time travel is fundamental to Doctor Who, the show never tries to ground the Tartis's ability in anything resembling real world physics. About the real world, Could we ever build a time machine and travel into the distant past or forward to see our great great great grandchildren. Answering this question, of course, requires some understanding of how time actually works, something physicists are far from certain and cohesive about.
Speaker 3: So far.
Speaker 1: What we can say with confidence is it traveling into the future is achievable, but traveling into the past is either wildly difficult or absolutely impossible. And here, of course I had to stop and just say.
Speaker 2: Outlander, that's right, hello, Yeah, she did it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Time travel into the past always made more sense to me than time travel into the future, because in my linear mind, the future hasn't been created, so I always thought it would be more difficult. But now that we've been learning more about quantum physics and studying the gateway process and now this and dimensions, I guess time travel into the future does make more sense, especially if you talk about retrocausality, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, how do we really know? And so you know, then we can go off with a whole tangent about past lives and all that stuff, and who are we and what are we? All those things? Lots of questions, right, lots of questions. And as Einstein noted in his Theory of relativity, he says time can speed up or slow down depending on the circumstances. This is where time travel can come in and it is scientifically accurate and there is real world repercussions from that, says Emma Osborne, who is an astrophysicist at the University of York in the UK. Time passes more slowly for you if you are in an intense gravitational field, such as a black hole.
Speaker 3: Now listen to this sentence.
Speaker 1: Your head is aging quicker than your feet, because Earth's gravity is stronger at your feet, says Osborne.
Speaker 2: What my head's older than my toe.
Speaker 1: If you're in an intense gravitational field. And of course this made me think about those you know, Samantha. I realized a long time ago that I would never be cut out to be an astronaut. I think the claustophobic, that team of people who have been up in the sky for how many months now, forever forever, right in that tiny little space, that they have something within them I don't have. And so when I saw photographs recently of the of the folks getting to them. I thought, I cannot even imagine what that must feel like and how incredibly brave it must be. And I wondered how the passage of time must have felt all these months to them.
Speaker 2: Oh awful. And you know, physically they lose so much muscle mass from being in that space area they have to do you know, they have to walk on the treadmill. But even even if they exercise almost every minute, they're going to come back to Earth and having lost a lot of physical muscle mass.
Speaker 1: It's just I can't even breathe when I have watched, literally I've stopped breathing watching some of those things with interviews with those two people, and I think, well, if this is true, and they've certainly been in zero gravity, right, what does that look like for them in terms of aging?
Speaker 3: And how will we measure that?
Speaker 1: And you know they're going to be tested all over hell and back when they get home. It'll be interesting to see. But let's go back to doctor who who uses this notion of intense gravitational fields so that we're different aging different parts of our bodies. In Season ten finality entitled World and enough in which the Twelfth Doctor and his friends are trapped on a spaceship close to a black hole. At the front of the craft, closer to the black hole, time passes more slowly than at the rear. This means the small group of cybermen at the rear of the craft are able to develop into a huge army in from the Doctor's point of view, a matter of minutes. In our everyday lives, these relativistic effects are too tiny to be noticed, but they do affect the satellites that we use for GPS. The clocks above click faster than the clocks on Earth and must constantly be readjusted, says Osborne, if we didn't Google maps, would be wrong about six miles a day. How about that relativity means that it is possible to travel into the future. We don't even need a time machine exactly.
Speaker 3: We need to.
Speaker 1: Either travel at speeds close to the speed of light or spend time in an intense gravitational field. Okay, I don't know how to do either of those things. In relativity, these two acts are essentially equivalent. Either way, you will experience a relatively short amount of subjective time, while decades are centuries past in the rest of the universe. If you want to see what happens hundreds of years from now, this is how to do it. I don't think I understand how to do it.
Speaker 3: Do you sumen that?
Speaker 2: No, I do not. I would like to take a break to talk about crystals for a moment or anything else. My head hurts.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're almost done hanging here with me.
Speaker 2: I really don't understand what you just explained, and it makes me feel like a little brain.
Speaker 1: You're not a little brain, You're just human. I mean, that's the problem. And all of this is theoretical. Remember right, there's no real proof for any of this. It's just the idea that it's fun to entertain notions and ideas that may or may not be true, and isn't it fun to just explore them? And we will never know. I mean, you've heard me say this a hundred times that when I die, I want to be able to take a pen in a notepad across the veil with me because I got questions.
Speaker 2: I know, well, I mean, according to this, you're not going to need a pen or a paper. You're going to just be there and understand it, right, away. Just by the implicit nature of block theory, it'll already have happened exactly.
Speaker 1: And so if I believe that, if that is my belief system, then all is well and I don't need the pen and paper. But in the belief system I currently hold, I need the pen and paper, right, okay, And so that is what I mean by theoretic both both scenarios I just rattled off.
Speaker 3: It's theory. I don't know.
Speaker 1: About getting everything, nor do I know about the block theory. In theory, it's possible for space time be folded like a piece of paper, allowing a tunnel to be punched through. Relativity offers some options for backward time travel, but this time they are much more theoretical. People tie themselves up and not trying to find ways to rearrange space time in order to make time travel to the past possible, says Katie Mack, who is a theoretical cosmetolog cosmologist. Let me do that again, Katie Max.
Speaker 2: He does great highlights, sorry.
Speaker 1: Is a theoretical cosmologist at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada. One option is to create a closed time like a curve a path through space and time that loops back on itself. A person who follows that path would eventually find themselves at the same place in time when they started. A mathematical description of such a path was published by Logiston Kirk Godell in nineteen forty nine, and others have followed. However, this doesn't look like a promising approach for several reasons. We don't know whether this exists anywhere in the universe, or whether or not this is really purely theoretical.
Speaker 3: There's just no evidence.
Speaker 1: It's also not obvious how we could make such a thing.
Speaker 3: The loop thing. Even if we had.
Speaker 1: Much greater technology than we currently do, it seems unlikely that we would be able to create closed time like curves on purpose, says Adlain. Remember she's at Chaplain University in California. Even if we could, we wouldn't want to. You would literally be repeating exactly the same thing over and over again. And my comment for that is Groundhog Day much.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love that movie so much. I just made my kids watch it again with me a couple of months ago over the break. That's what I'm talking about. If you remember that movie with Bill Murray, he completely resists doing the same thing over and over and over again in his block world, right, and he gets mad and he tries to just do all this crazy stuff. The magic happens when he surrenders to it and just decides to enjoy it. And he's like, all right, well, if this is my day, I'm going to learn how to play the piano. I'm going to learn how to be an ice sculptor. I'm going to learn how to make this woman love me. I'm going to learn how to love myself. I'm going to learn how to enjoy the present moment. I think that's the key takeaway for if this theory is true, where you are, you have to find your own happiness exactly.
Speaker 1: The Doctor Who series uses a similar setup in this classic episode called Heaven sent in which the Doctor lives the same few hours over and over again for billions of years. However, this didn't involve a closed timeline curve, but rather repeated use of a teleporter.
Speaker 2: That was an episode on Supernatural where was one of the brothers lived the same day over and over and over and we don't know how long it was, and it was done from a trickster god. Of course, from Boyer, A trickster God, a trickster guard.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, interesting.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to Richard Gott in nineteen ninety one, who's a physicist who set out a mathematical description of a wild scenario in which he called two cosmic strings moving past each other in opposite directions. According to his calculations, this would create close time like curves looping around the strings. Well, this sounds handy, But where might we find cosmic strings? They are hypothetical phenomena that may have formed in the very early universe.
Speaker 3: According to some theories.
Speaker 1: None has ever been detected. We don't have any reason to believe cosmic strings exist as mac Even if they do exist, it would be an incredible stroke of luck to find two moving neatly in parallel. We don't have any reason to believe that this would happen. You know what that reminds me of in the early days of the computer, Samantha the screensaver. Remember where those images of stringy kind of things that just randomly moved across your computer screen.
Speaker 2: But if those continually moved around each other, wouldn't math like the laws of math? If there is such a thing, imply that eventually they would line up that way.
Speaker 1: And that's what I wondered about too, with the whole concept of chaos theory, where things eventually move into order as opposed to randomness. It's the notion of a homeostatic state versus an entropic state, and where things do come together in some kind of way eventually in time, and that I don't think was addressed in any of this conversation, but that's exactly what.
Speaker 3: I wondered too.
Speaker 1: And everything we've been talking about is theoretical. Everything we've been talking about thus far is theory as opposed to reality.
Speaker 3: So how about wormholes.
Speaker 1: First of all, guess what, We don't have any evidence they really exist. It's been shown mathematically that they can exist, but whether they exist physically it's something else. What's more, if wormholes do exist, they will be incredibly short lived. Often wormholes are described as two black holes that have been joined together. This means a wormhole would have an incredibly intense gravitational feel it would collapse under its own gravity, says researcher Osborne. Okay, so much for time travel based on relativity. What about on a mechanics The Great theory in the universe, whereas.
Speaker 2: All right, wait before we jump into quantum mechanics, we've got to take our last quick break of the show. We will be right back, Okay, welcome back everyone. All right, dev you're taking us down quantum mechanics now.
Speaker 1: And I think this is about the end of where we're headed here, so okay, and then we're going to I'm gonna try to make it make sense and does in our real life, whatever real life means these days. Whereas relativity describes the behavior of large objects like humans and galaxies, quantum mechanics describes the very small, in particular particles smaller than atoms, such as electrons and protons. On these subatomic scales, physics operates in ways that confound our intuitions. And this article I researched didn't even talk about quarks, which are even smaller than electrons and protons and neutrons. One of the particular observations that has urge from the study of the quantum realm is non locality, So we're cycling back to that concept. A change in a particle state in one location can instantaneously influence another entangled particle somewhere else. Something Einstein referred to as quote spooky action at a distance. This has been shown experimentally quote many times in Nobel Prize winning research, says Adlam. A lot of physicists are very unhappy with the possibility of non locality. She says that's because for the effect to be instantaneous, the information must be conveyed from place to place at faster than the speed of light. This is supposed to be impossible. Some physicists, however, propose alternative ways to interpret the experiments. These interpretations get rid of a non locality issue, but in doing so they mess with our understanding of time. Instead of having an instantaneous, non local effect, you would just send your effect into the future, and then at some point it would turn around and go back into the past, says Adlam. It would be instantaneous, but in reality the effect would have gone on a long journey into the future and back again. And guess what now, We're back to retrocausality. That is, events of the future having an effect on the past. If retro causality is real, it probably won't help us become time lords. Retro Causality is not quite the same thing as time travel.
Speaker 3: Says Adlam.
Speaker 1: For one thing, our observations of non locality have all involved tiny numbers of particles. Scale up to a human or even something smaller like a piece of paper would be an enormous challenge. So like sending a piece of paper into somewhere else, it isn't even possible to send a message in to the past.
Speaker 3: She says.
Speaker 1: The retrocausality is very specifically hidden in the way it's implemented. Now, from a metaphysical standpoint, we probably vehemently disagree with that sentence. This is best understood by thinking through an experiment. Suppose Adam conducts a measurement in the lamb. However, the results he gets is dependent on a measurement that Beth does later. In other words, Beth's experiment in the future controls the outcome of Adam's experiment in the past. This only works if Beth's experience destroys all the records of what Adam did and saw.
Speaker 2: Wait, what so, but Adam sounds a lot like Thelma from Scooby Doo. Well, she is trying to rain on our fun magical party parade.
Speaker 3: Well, so this is true. So there we have it.
Speaker 1: On our current understanding of the universe, we could potentially travel into the future, but traveling into the past may be in no no, she says. The only remaining loophole is that the theories that all of this is based on are incomplete. Relativity and quantum mechanics work very well for certain aspects of the universe, but they also aren't compatible. This suggests we need a deeper theory that unifies the two, but despite decades of efforts, we don't have one. Of course, there is another way to look at it all. In the time it has taken you to listen to this podcast episode, you've already traveled an hour into the future.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: If I'm in the future, I would like to go back to the beginning of this hour and somehow magically give my brain an upgrade. A but I like to ask this lovely physicist Adlum to read Time and Again by Jack Finney. You read that right. They made it into a movie with Christopher Reeves.
Speaker 3: I read the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, the book is way better, even though the movie's pretty good too. But the book explains how they do time travel, and it's the most realistic one I've ever read. Because it's all done in the mind. Do you remember how they rent an apartment in New York City and they decorate it to look like the time period he's traveling back to, and then they teach him how to meditate and visualize he's in that time, and that's how he does it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's certainly a great example. But you and I both know that there is this continuum of memory that we can't explain or describe. Any more than these scientific theories can be explained and described and verified. We can't verify the metaphysical concepts, many of them that we trust in and believe in either and yet we know they're real. I mean, certainly, past life regression work has been something that has dramatically improved my life. I'm very grateful for having had regression sessions. And I know that who I said I was existed, I'm sure of it.
Speaker 3: How do I know?
Speaker 1: I don't know how I know, but I do and so and it.
Speaker 2: Makes me just to be contrary. It makes me think about if all of this is theory. It makes me ask the question what is real? And does it even matter if it's real? I mean, I've read books that are fiction that have helped me tremendously to be too happier, to understand myself better, to feel more deeply connected to others around me, to open my mind to a different way of thinking. And none of that was real, but the effects it had on me.
Speaker 3: Were real absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean, we both could rattle off a ton of books, but that meet all of the criteria you've just suggested, and music and relationships and even the tree I'm sitting here looking at. I mean, I look at this tree and I think, well, how old is this tree and how did it grow there? And what is it seen? And what does it know? And does it know? Does this tree have consciousness? And I believe it does. We could go on and on and on with what we believe, what we feel, what we trust, what has become our own versions of reality or not, and how we navigate every minute of our life. And minute is a relative term here, And that's really one of the reasons I wanted to dive down this rabbit hole and do this exercise that I know for some of our listeners will be like, oh my god, where in the world are they believe me?
Speaker 3: I was there too.
Speaker 1: I think Samantha was too, as we were making our way through it, but it really was this episode was precipitated by the time change and the different realities on different clocks in my house at the same time. That's what precipitated me going down this rabbit hole and wondering about how we see the time that we have and are given in every moment, and what do we do with it?
Speaker 3: And how do we re.
Speaker 1: Assess where we are in our lives and what we want each moment to look like.
Speaker 2: And I think a part of that is definitely asking and contemplating these deep, highly intelligent questions that make my brain hurt. But also the other part of it is realizing that none of it's real. It's all an illusion, and so what are we going to do with that? And turning instead of oh my gosh, I own you know, I'm in the second, third, fourth, whatever chapter of my life. Time is going too fast? What am I gonna do with this? With that, with this, instead of going there just kind of throwing your hands up in total trust and saying, you know what, It's all unfolding as it should and I'm just gonna have fun with it.
Speaker 1: There is that you know I am going this coming weekend to a memorial party for one of my best friends, who was one of my best friends for fifty years and who died not long ago. And we're gonna laugh, and we're gonna sing, and we're gonna eat, and we're gonna tell stories about her, and in many ways she will still be there with us, and we will all have moments in those past fifty years that we were friends that will feel as real and as close from forty years ago as it feels today, because that's what memory does for us. I agree. I think that's really all we can do is to as Bob Rob Doss said many many years ago, here now.
Speaker 2: You know, I have a funny quick thing about when you're talking about looking at your tree. When the girls and I were saying goodbye to the house, one of my girls said, I'm really gonna miss that tree, this one beautiful tree in the backyard. And I try to keep my metaphysical weirdness to myself as much as possible, right, are you like that?
Speaker 3: Dad?
Speaker 2: Like I don't walk around going you know, well, there's a crystal that could help you with that, or you know your aura seems a little fluffy today. I just keep that to myself.
Speaker 1: Says the woman who who runs a podcasters have been downloaded more than six million times.
Speaker 3: But go ahead.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but but I mean I keep it amongst us.
Speaker 3: I know what you mean.
Speaker 2: So my daughter was saying, like, she's going to miss that tree, and I said, oh, well, have you tried talking to it and saying goodbye? And I didn't even think about it. And my girls looked at me. They just burst out laughing, and she was like, could you please do that again? I'm gonna put it on TikTok. It's going to go viral. I'm like, no, no, but you can definitely go talk to that tree and give it a hug.
Speaker 3: Oh I do that every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do it every day to the trees around where I live.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree.
Speaker 1: You know we are there's no difference. We're all the same thing.
Speaker 2: You know, We're all and you can feel the energy. And to me, my favorite part of what your beautiful research uncovered is that non local spooky reality at a distance. I can't even remember the perfect name for it, but that whole idea that proves we are all connected, whether you are you know, sitting here in America and someone listening to us is in you know, New Guinea. We're all connected. Whether you're sitting here in Australia and you're missing your father in heaven only a thought away, were all connected. I don't think in terms of time or past, prison or future, any of that matters. And you know what I always think about is a photo. Remember back in the old days, you would take a photo and there would be one copy of that photo and a negative and that was it. If the negative was lost, if the photo was lost, that photo was gone. Nowadays, you take a photo and how many copies are there? Even if you delete that photo from your phone, it stays on your phone for what thirty forty five days, and it probably still exists somewhere out there in the internet world, whatever that means. But you can take a thousand copies of a photo. That's how I think about the world we live in. In terms of time, I think that there are maybe a thousand copies of the life you and I are living deb and at every crossroads where we made an important decision about our life, we created a different copy of the photo of our world in that moment.
Speaker 3: That is very likely true. Samantha and.
Speaker 1: This, even this side of the conversation, while where we've moved from the quantum physics side of the conversation to the metaphysical side of the conversation, it still boggles my mind too, and I somehow have to remember that, yes, all I can really do is right here, right now, in what is to me at this moment reality. It may not be reality in five minutes, but for right this minute, here it is. See minute, we're back to time again. So I hope everybody's changed their clocks and or have not changed your clocks depending on where you live, and are moving along in some kind of linear fashion that doesn't feel crazy to you.
Speaker 2: You know what I am a little stickler about is changing the clock on my car.
Speaker 3: I did that.
Speaker 2: I always do, and my friend does not, and she cracks me up because every time there's a time chain, she goes, whooho, my clocks work. So do you remember when I was talking This is like probably a couple of years ago, but I was talking about a book I read as a kid that I loved so so much, and it was about a girl I think she was like thirteen or fourteen, and she's going to see her grandmother. She had a fight with her mom, as you know teenage girls tend to do, so the mom's like, go spend a weekend with my mom. And she's on the train and she falls asleep. I think she hits her head and when she wakes up, she's back in time and she meets her mom as a thirteen year old girl. And I could not find that book. It's out of print. I mentioned it. One of our amazing listeners found it and I ordered it. I got it. It's called Hanging Out with CC by Francine Pascal, and it's a little kid book. I know our listeners are adults. I mean it's two hundred and thirty pages. It's like a middle grade book, I think they would call it. But it's a wonderful, wonderful book about time and understanding your parents in terms of the different things they've been through in their own time. But I just wanted to give a shout out because without our listeners, I wouldn't find half the books I have. And I have another request now for any of our librarians out there. I was listening to another podcast and she was talking about one of her favorite books and she couldn't remember the name but it was about a woman who had this very lovely life, but she every time she fell asleep, she would dream of a completely different life. And it got to the point where her dream life felt more real than her waking life. And at some point the two worlds collide and she realizes both are real. The dream life is real and the waking life is real, and she has to choose one. Doesn't that sound good?
Speaker 1: It does sound good. And I just have to tell you that while we're putting this together, make yourself a note that you need to put these things on our Facebook page because invariably somebody who is out at the gym without a piece of paper in their hand is going to email or or write on Facebook.
Speaker 3: What was the name of that book you mentioned, Samantha.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, Okay, So I will put in the show notes time and again by Jack Finney and CC's hanging out with CC.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, because folks will certainly want to know those books.
Speaker 2: Wow, thank you deb for putting this all together. I feel like between our Gateway series in this I hope we don't lose some listeners. I promise you guys were going back to fun How to Be psychic stuff. But it's important to visit these topics because science is catching up and it is starting to prove that everything you and I know and sense to be true is actually real, that we are all connected, that time is an illusion, that what we do now, in this beautiful, perfect moment has profound implications not only on our future, but also on our past, and not on our past, but on all the past people who have gone before.
Speaker 3: Us through story, which is why I did it.
Speaker 1: So I hope you all have enjoyed it and made your way through it, and thank you for hanging in here with us. And we'll be back with some quote normal Samantha and Deb stuff next week.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Deb, and thank you for helping me fill in all the good stuff when I was moving. I really appreciate you so much.
Speaker 1: I was happy to do that, and I'm glad you said that. Huge thank you to all of you who have comment on our Facebook page and sent me emails about that short episode that I did without Samantha. How kind of you all. I'm so glad it was helpful and you all liked it, so thank you again.
Speaker 2: I loved it. Thanks, I really did you have such a calming soothing way of putting things to and making you think.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so glad you feel that way. Thanks Darren.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you found your toothbrush and are settling in. So everybody take care, Samantha tell them what to do.
Speaker 2: Have a great week everyone, whether you're in the past, present, or future, and don't forget as always to be the light for yourself and others.
Speaker 3: Take care everyone.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Psychic Teachers, your podcast for seekers, light workers, mystics, and magical thinkers. If you like the show, please tell a friend or leave us a review wherever you listen to your podcast. For more information, check out our Facebook page Psychic Teachers, or our websites Samantha Fay dot com and Deb Bowen dot com. Thanks for listening and have a great week.