Speaker 1: Eighth five here Kentucky, Ada's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. So we will be talking coming up here at eight thirty with Rory O'Neil. We'll get the latest on the protesting that's going on really across the country. The attention has mostly been on what's happening in Los Angeles. They've had back to back nights with curfews, and obviously that seems to be helping things to an extent, but probably inconveniencing many that live in one of the biggest cities in the world, Los Angeles, but other cities Louisville is.
Speaker 2: Louisville.
Speaker 1: Louisville is a part of this, is what I was trying to say. They're prepared for these protests to continue, and obviously this weekend is going to be something that there's gonna be a lot of attention across the country as far as just keeping things peaceful as best they can. So we'll talk about that with Rory coming up here in about twenty five minutes. Also, something else that we talked about earlier on in the show. This is not official just yet, but when it comes to Louisville basketball, First of all, Pat Kelsey, I don't know if it's specifically or if it's him, Josh Hurd and the entire team at the University of Louisville, but they've really done the fans. I don't know what They've put together a non conference schedule that I believe is not only going to be challenging and beneficial if you can win to help you get a potentially get a good seat on selection Sunday, But it's games against teams that fans will be interested in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You would rather play a Cincinnati than a Montana State in December. You'd rather play Memphis and old Rival than playing Popcorn State. I mean those games, they're always going to be there to an extent, meaning games against teams that a lot of people know nothing about. But you have to be mindful now in college basketball when you play those teams, because how they seed the tournament. When it comes to the metrics, the net formula, sometimes just having a team on the schedule is going to hurt you because you can't beat them by enough points for you not to fall. Now, again, different conversation is how silly the formula is and how much they rely on it.
Speaker 2: But as of now. That's how it works.
Speaker 1: And Louisville went eighteen and two last year in the ACC and got an eight seat. I think that says more about the ACC than anything else. But you've got to be very careful how you put your schedule together, and they've done a good job at that. And we found out yesterday according to John Rossien of CBS Sports, that Louisvill's opponent in this year's ACC SEC Challenge is going to be a familiar, familiar faue, not really the opponent.
Speaker 2: But the coach.
Speaker 1: The coach is, I should say, so Arkansas is who Louisville is going to play. So Louisville fans will see their team go up against John Caliperry once again and also Kenny Payne, and the storyline is there. It is Louisville going up against a guy that used to be at their rival school that had a lot of success against Louisville. Hate to say that, it's just it's facts. Cali Perry did a lot of good things during his time in Lexington. One of those things was he he had his way with the rival, which goes a long way, especially around here when we have I think one of the most passionate rivalries you'll find in sports. But Kenny Payne is the real story here now. He's He's not come up a lot here locally in the last year or so because Pat Kelcey was off to such a good start and has been off to such a good start that you're not thinking about the nightmare that you hope to forget forever. We'd all like to block out and I'd say wee because I'm a loive a fan myself, but we'd all like to block out those two years of our of our fanhood from ever existing. But obviously we can't do that. But because Louisville had such a good start with Pat Kelcey, you're not sitting in a mess that you feel like was left because of just how horrendous Kenny Payne was as a coach.
Speaker 2: You had success right out of the.
Speaker 1: Gate, and that that was that's the best case scenario for Pat Kelcey, because it would have been it would have been understandable if they weren't nearly as good as they were last year, because again, you had to start from scratch. But it did play out to where Pat Kelcey in his first year, and I'm sure, maybe there was there was some strategy here or maybe not, I don't know, but he did everything the exact opposite way. He had a lot of legitimate excuses, but never once played the victim, never once even referenced anything as a legitimate excuse, despite having two key injuries that took place in November, losing guys for the rest of the season, losing rain Smith late in the year where he clearly wasn't one hundred percent when they finished the season, and you know, these guys just never played victim, never played, never felt sorry for themselves.
Speaker 2: And that's that's the.
Speaker 1: Exact opposite of what the previous regime did, is that they blamed every every shortfall on what they inherited, which.
Speaker 2: Was a lie.
Speaker 1: I mean, this day and age, you can go build a team from scratch and it doesn't guarantee that you're going to be good. But I think the previous group just kind of came and expecting everybody to just be happy they were here and expect it to be bad for a while before it got good. But it wasn't just bad, it was really unbelievably bad. So again that'll be the talking point as we get set for that game. It'll take place the week after Thanksgiving, the Monday your us. We didn't know the date just yet, but Louisville fans will get a chance to go up against John CALIPII and Kenny Payne, which won't be an easy game. Cali Perry's got talent, certainly a good coach, but I would imagine both teams will probably be in the top twenty around that time, So looking forward to it. College oops is a long way away, but I'm excited for it. I'm a college hoops nerd. You'll learn that if you haven't learned that already about me. All right, coming up, we'll get another update on news and traffic, and we're going to bring in my friend doctor Eric mccelroy, a pro reaf physical therapy.
Speaker 2: He's set to join us as well.
Speaker 1: So stick around right here on news radio eight forty whas, age sixteen here at Kentucky in his morning news with Nick Coffee on.
Speaker 2: News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: And it is now time to bring in my friend doctor Eric McElroy of pro Rea physical Therapy.
Speaker 2: Eric, how we doing this morning?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great, beautiful morning, Nick. It's awesome here and you man you're killing it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that love compliments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I've been listening pretty much every morning to as much as I can, and yeah, it's been awesome.
Speaker 3: I know it's a change for you. It is.
Speaker 4: It's been great to hear you navigate the waters of politics and everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been. It's been different, but it's been it's been a lot of fun. And they've they've continued to let me do it. Would you believe that they haven't kicked me out of here yet, Eric, So I'm gonna I'm gonna do it as long as I can. But doctor Eric maclroy Proie have physical therapy. He is going to be joining us throughout the show here and there to discuss some of the latest injuries in sports and just give you guys some good information that I think is worthwhile. We've been partners with prop Physical Therapy for quite some time, and I know my listeners from down the hall on seven ninety very familiar with both doctor Eric mcclroy and doctor Larry Ben's And one thing I wanted to start with, I know we have a lot of golfers out there, and one of the things I've learned over our many conversations is things that you could do is to prevent injuries and also knowing when to rest. Rest recovery is certainly really important. I've been educated in a major way with the many chats we've had over time. But for those that maybe aren't super familiar. If you're somebody that's active in golf and you find your self dealing with some soreness, maybe throughout your round of golfer maybe the next day, what are just some basic things people can do that they wouldn't You know.
Speaker 2: That that isn't difficult, but it could really.
Speaker 1: Go a long way to help you be a little more comfortable out there swinging the clubs. But also the next day you're not feeling sore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the biggest thing, there's a couple of things that always try to educate golfers. I mean we're in the you know, getting to the peak of golf season right now. A lot of these are golfers in the summer and start playing a ton and you know, the biggest thing is warming up. I mean, if I cannot reiterate to golfers, a lot of them get to the course the last minute or they go out and they just hit a few balls or they go to the putting green, and I think they need to be really intentional with their warm ups.
Speaker 3: We educate that this a ton it's an athletic movement.
Speaker 4: They try to go out on the first thing they do is swing as hard and fast as they can. But you know, their warm up could be very you know, basic light stretching, you know, stuff that really doesn't generally get their core temperature up, doesn't get their fast switch muscle fibers ready to go, doesn't stimulate those and then they wonder why they one are slow to perform, and then two they're hurt or they're really sore, and you know, you're actually gonna be sore anyways. But a lot of it has to do with did you warm up properly?
Speaker 3: So that's the first thing.
Speaker 4: The second thing is when you're done, making sure you take some time to cool.
Speaker 3: Down, arrest, stretch out a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know, you do all kinds of things like foam rolling, using massage guns, things like that that can help them as far as the recovery process, you know, not trying to go out and play too many rounds at once.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: By that is, if you know you're gonna be in a member guest or a member member, making sure that you don't go play, you know, two more times the next week and give your audi a chance to recover and limit injury risk.
Speaker 1: Rest and recovery is certainly huge, and college baseball is it's getting down to determining who's going to be the national champion, the College World Series getting ready to start, and obviously pitching is a big factor for everybody involved.
Speaker 2: Well, give us a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of insight into what what what a day off is like for somebody that is And I know there's a lot of different roles when it comes to pitching. You could be somebody that's pitching a bunch of innings. You could be somebody that's just in there to finish up the game. So I guess it really depends on what your role is as a pitcher. But when they are resting and recovering, when it's a survive in advance.
Speaker 2: You're still alive.
Speaker 1: What do you think that type of rest recovery looks like for most pitchers?
Speaker 3: That's a great question, and first and foremost go racers. I'm also go going that's right.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that. You got two You got two squads in the in the Omaha.
Speaker 3: Right, pretty exciting.
Speaker 4: So the biggest thing is for these they're moving a lot more than people think. I think we sometimes we think arrest is sitting on our butts, but there's something called active recovery.
Speaker 3: You know, you see a lot of athletes.
Speaker 4: Going into the to the weight room, or they'll go into a light practice the day after a game and then their day off is actually two days later. So when you're in this kind of tournament, in this situation, and these pictures are gonna start pitching a little bit more without as much rest, uh, because that it's game time now. You just got to get your best arms out there. So they're gonna be actively recovering. They're gonna be doing a lot of things that you wouldn't think light throwing. They're gonna be working with the trainers, trying to get a lot of soft tissue work done. They're gonna be focusing on you know, obviously inflammation control with ice, heat contrast type things.
Speaker 3: Uh. But they're not sitting around, uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, because they got to keep things quote unquote loose. They got to get the keep the tissue, uh healthy and not don't let this inflammation build up.
Speaker 3: And it's a quick turnaround.
Speaker 4: So they're gonna be free, getting frequent treatment, staying active, staying movement, but doing.
Speaker 3: It in a safe manner.
Speaker 1: All right, last one, I'm gonna shift gears here because I know you've got to be super excited about Murray State. I know, uh what what what are you getting is? I know you don't currently live there, You're you're in Louisville now, But obviously what's been the reaction from other alum like yourself? Because as they truly are the Cinderella story of college baseball, I feel like if you don't have a team that you like that's in Omaha, everybody's pulling for the Racers.
Speaker 3: Man, It's awesome.
Speaker 4: I mean I've I've had friends reach out from college I haven't heard from in years.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not surprised.
Speaker 4: You know, you're naming your phone still and you know everybody's super pumped. I mean, I think that I know that they're from I have a friend of mine from Louisville.
Speaker 3: Actually who lives in uh.
Speaker 4: He said that you know, they're really rallying to try to get as many fans uh out to Omaha as.
Speaker 3: They possibly can. Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a there's a huge contingent in Western Kentucky and Paduca, so there's a lot more alum. Obviously it's a ten thousand students. Uh So it would be interesting to see what they can get uh.
Speaker 3: Over to Omaha. And uh, you know, super excited.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's crazy and put in perspective, I know there was some kind of.
Speaker 3: Post about, you know, the coach still cutting the grass.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean that stadium's nice compared to the one that they had when I was there.
Speaker 3: I sure, you know, it's just it's just awesome.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, you're used to basketball and making you know, kind of make some noise in the NCAA tournament. But to have a team outside of basketball that it really doesn't get the resources.
Speaker 3: They put majority of the resources in.
Speaker 4: The basketball for obvious reasons, and you know, just to see them be able to come out and have another sport get to basically the equivalent of going to the Final four, it's pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 5: Eric.
Speaker 1: Thank you for taking the time. Congrats on your debut here with me on eight forty whs. I'm sure it's gonna be the best part of your day. I hope people can sense sarcasm. But always great to chat with you, my friend. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, Nick, have it going man.
Speaker 2: You two that is.
Speaker 1: Doctor Eric mclroy, Prori have physical therapy. We've got trafficking weather coming your way right here, right now on news radio eight forty whas. All right, eight forty five here a Kentucky and this Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. We're about to hand it off to the fellas Tony and Dwight. Tony, I'm gonna make you you don't get a raise.
Speaker 2: You got enough money.
Speaker 1: Actually, my first couple of weeks here on the on the station here, the one thing I would say is we need more Tony of Benetti commercials. That's the only request I have, just to be honest with you. So again, you're not gonna get a raise, but I'm giving you a position you would become just for this moment. This question the Unofficial Commissioner of College Basketball, If we, if asked, are we changing it to four quarters? Are we sticking with two twenty minute halves? What is the commissioner Tony Venetti saying, I go to the four quarters would be like everyone else on the planet. I think it's a better setup. It would take away and you got to take away some of the timeouts though, So if you go to the four quarters, you got to take timeouts from the coach. Rick Patino was one of the worst at this. Denny Crumb would never call a timeout. His philosophy was, the kids will work it out through on the floor, right like Cali Perry.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Cal Parry did the same thing, but new basketball because basketball players were smarter back in the day as in basketball minds right, so they could figure out what was happening, and Denny could bark a couple of things from the side and they'll figure it out. Nowadays, you kind of got an appoint them in a direction. AAU got us there. So I understand the coach by saying, no, I got to call a time out, you know, because Earl is in man and we're in zone. So it is take away the timeouts. Don't use them. You can't come back from what is it fourteen over fourteen? Yeah, under fourteen timeout. You can't come out of that and then call a time out, then shoot a free throw, and then call a time out, and then you're twenty two minutes in and we've had forty five seconds of basketball played. That's killing the sport.
Speaker 1: It's killing the That was gonna be a next question because now they've added challenge.
Speaker 2: By the way, they have not made.
Speaker 1: The change from halfs to quarters just yet, but it sounds like there's growing momentum towards that, and it kind of ties into the end of games where under two minutes they can review and you got it tough. It's a tough line to balance because when you know that you have the ability to go look at it and get it right, you would want to do that. But then again, there's no doubt it is damaging the product of college basketball all to where the non lifers, the people who don't love it and are obsessed with it like we are, they probably tune in every now and then and think, what the heck is this? They're stopping every five seconds, so you got to figure something out. But they've now implemented where you can. You're gonna have challenges in idea, but if it reduces the ability to just at any moment go look at the kick go, so.
Speaker 5: They're not going to look at it and just take it into challenge challenges.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 5: Plus, I why not get rid of the challenges and or replays during the regular season and only have them when it counts the conference tournaments in the NCAA. Okay, so cause I understand if it's in the conference final and the ball, you know that replay where the ball is either it hits his tips of his fingers before it goes out or not, and there's seven seconds left and that means possession, and that really is who's gonna win the game? I get it. But for the most part, everyone sits there. NFL's got the same problem. Why is it taking seven minutes? Why is it taking seven minutes?
Speaker 2: Things in here, guys, I'm scared.
Speaker 5: It drives me crazy because all of our attention spans are smaller and we just we come on.
Speaker 1: What's crazy, though, is with the NFL. It is wild to consider that the most powerful professional sports league by a billion has yet to implement some way of determining if a first yard a first down was converted or not. They still have old men running with chains and sticks.
Speaker 2: It's like it's.
Speaker 1: It's ball is a ball in a lot of ways other than it's a linked chain and two old dudes stretching it out and nobody will say it, but they're just guessing with it. When it comes to the spot of the ball that's exactly right.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's no definitive rule of where you spot the ball, like when the runner goes down, it's supposed to be where the ball is right. So if he's got it tucked, that's where the ball is right now. But it's different if he reaches out on the sideline or the end zone. Correct, So if he reaches out and just holds a ball out, is he running out of bounds?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Isn't it where the ball goes out? Okay, but that's not the case when he gets tackled. You can't reach out and get an extra yard. I'm going to say some stupid and at least I'm sure that's how some people will take this. And I've probably said many stupid things today. So why not finish with something replay? Is it a way like did they open up a can of worms here? Because introducing the ability to go back and review if a call was missed, I mean, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Useful, it's it's been a big factor. But no matter what, there's going to be stoppages with it that's going to annoy people, which is not good for the product. And when you have the whenever there's a rule in place that says, in this moment you can review it.
Speaker 2: In this moment, you can't. It just seems Okay, it just seems.
Speaker 5: But here's where it goes wrong because the rule says it has to be extreme, it has to be obvious that to overturn it.
Speaker 2: Right, So where's that gray area again?
Speaker 5: Right, it's subjective, So where does the gray area begin and end of Well, it has to be yes, he was in bounds, but it wasn't by enough to overturn the guy on the I think it's like that.
Speaker 2: Why do you have it in basketball?
Speaker 1: I think the range is is the coach really successful and has a has the ability to just yell at the reps and tell him to go look at it, and then they'll do it because they'll, you know, working officials is certainly a component.
Speaker 2: In sports for sure.
Speaker 1: So I don't know, dude, the twenty minute halves, I'm fine with it just because it's always been that way, but if they changed it, I'm still gonna love coach basketball.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And and here's the other thing. The NFL finally got smart a couple of years ago and finally just full time employed these guys. Yes you know, they were lawyers or they were they worked construction or whatever they did, and then they did the NFL on the side, and it's like, what you're You're a kazillion dollar business.
Speaker 2: I did not believe.
Speaker 5: Look his belly showing under his small T shirt. Look he's uh you mean you mean his ads. He's got his dryer since six pack. He's got his dryer set on either too high or he's getting fatter. I don't know which one is. Uh, that's a great way to say good morning. Do I morning show with you, my friend?
Speaker 3: It's because my crutches in my backpack were pulling up my shirt.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know we.
Speaker 3: Can't all be perfect like you, Tony Randall.
Speaker 2: We try, but we can't.
Speaker 1: You're right, and the sooner we all accept it, the better our lives will be.
Speaker 5: I got a book coming out, How to Be Tony Venetti in six months Tony Robin Style or find out more at www dot dot com.
Speaker 2: Sold out before your show started, Have a good show. Fellas