Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Thank what Afternoon Pleasure Bring with You? Is it is every Sunday, Chris Merrill I AM six forty. It's more stimulating talk and on demand anytime in the iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 1: Oh hi, Kayla, Hi.
Speaker 3: Chris, Hey girl, living the dream over here?
Speaker 2: How about you listen I Normally when you work remotely, which you did last week, indeed, yeah, you mail it in, and I would say that this time around it was more like a I mean, you didn't really mail it. It was almost like an express mail that you did. It was a little It's like you stepped it up a little bit.
Speaker 4: And that's so funny you say that, because literally I was working remote at the bar the entire time. I'm just like, oh my god, I know I'm slacking and I'm not really Once it was.
Speaker 1: Better than usual.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I should always drink espresso Martiniz when I worked.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yeah, you should do that when you're in studio. Yeah, of course, of course you should. So anyway, what's someplace you would never go back to visit? That's to talk about question today the iHeartRadio App. If you're listening to KFI there, and if you're not, you can always open the app and then leave a talk back and then you know, listen and see if we think your you know, your ramblings are worth playing on the air. Sometimes they air, and sometimes we just delete you. Uh So, I'm watching NBC four, right and or NBCL what whatever you wanna call it, and I was watching this interview and it it struck me as interesting, first of all, because they're talking about refineries closing and gas prices going up and all that stuff. But along with that, they were interviewing Mike Gibson, who's an assembly member from Long Beach area, right, And I just noticed Democrats in California are starting to sound an awful lot like Republicans. Listen to listen to some of this interview and see if you're hearing some of what I heard. All right, So here's a again Cony Nolan interest that was it's an exciting swosh there.
Speaker 1: We're saying harrying.
Speaker 6: This past week in the state capitol, as members of the California Legislature listened to the head of the California Air Resources Ward the Energy Commission, about the closure of two refineries in California next year, one in southern California and Carson another in the San Francisco Bay area. Those refineries themselves represent about twenty percent of the fuel that is used in the state.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so we have to they're closing down. They say it's our fault, and so we better do a meeting everybody. We're going to do a big gathering so we can all talk about this thing that is happening that we're not going to do anything about.
Speaker 6: Some concerns are whether or not that's going to increase the cost of the pump or yes, or increase the amount of fuel that's actually imported to the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Yes, on both accounts. Yes it will and yes it will.
Speaker 6: Assembly Meumber Mike Gibson is a Democrat from Guardina. He chairs the Assembly Taxation and Revenue Committee. Assemblyman, thanks for taking the time. So I believe that Phillips sixty six refineries in your day district. If it's not, it's close to your district. Are you are you glad to see them closing this facility?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Are you glad to see them closing this facility? He's got one of two ways to go here. One is, yes, we have to make California smug free, and the only way to do that is to buy reducing our blah blah blah, or you can go no, this sucks, and guess which one he did.
Speaker 5: I'm not glad to see them close, all right.
Speaker 7: I'm very concerned with Phillips sixty six closing, and it's adjacent to my district. It's literally fifty feet away from my district. But the jobs that it holds, the individuals that rely every day on going to that place, to that refinery working each and every day, those individuals live in my district. They shop in my district to add to the economy in my district. This is a tremendous loss to my district. So I'm very concerned.
Speaker 2: Oh right, So we're worried about the jobs. We're worried about what that's going to do in the district. This is look at, families will be impacted. My god, I can't believe this closure is terrible.
Speaker 7: With Phillip sixty six closing its doors, I've sat down with them and try to do everything that I can to convince them to remain here in Southern California.
Speaker 1: In California as a.
Speaker 7: Whole, and they have said that they cannot do business in the state of California, right, and why is that?
Speaker 6: Expand on that for a moment because from.
Speaker 1: Good job Cony, Conny Nolan asking the right follow.
Speaker 6: Up what I've been reading, they said, well, listen, you know the market is changing. They are more.
Speaker 1: Evs and California regulations.
Speaker 7: The regulatory agencies have imposed on the refineries in California, very stringent regulation that makes it very difficult for them to remain in the state of California.
Speaker 2: Huh, who's you talk about the Regulatory Commission. It seems like that would be California Democrats doing that, wouldn't it. And the business is closed. And then California Democrats were like, oh, I can't believe how business unfriendly the state is.
Speaker 7: Hum that means that they won't have the tax they won't pay the taxes to the state of California.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, so jobs are going to be lost and we're not going to have the taxes coming in and the regulation is so stringent that they can't afford to do business and they have to leave.
Speaker 1: Huh. I mean it sounds like you're listening to a Republican talk about everything that's.
Speaker 7: Wrong, and that also means that they won't be able to provide the jobs. We should all be concerned by that, But also we should be concerned by that the fact that if they go down and they leave, then what will happen to supply they have.
Speaker 2: I mean, all of these arguments sound exactly like what you would hear from the other side of the aisle, don't they.
Speaker 1: Which is.
Speaker 2: Which is evidence that we've reached a tipping point when it comes to some of the politics in California. Another example, of course, be Gavin Newsom. Now, when Newsom starts switching his position, we go, all right, he's trying to he's trying to moderate a little bit because he wants to run for president. So when Newsom comes out and says, oh, we shouldn't have trans athletes, we shouldn't have trans women in girls' sports in high school or in college, and we go, okay, Well, that sounds like a Republican and they know that they're on the losing side of that. More on that coming up here in our next segment. But we go all right, Newsom is moderating on this unpopular opinion. The idea, and you've heard you've heard some of the predictions that gas could go up to what nine dollars a gallon, And then all of a sudden you've got Democrats.
Speaker 1: Like, ah, this is terrible. I can't believe regulation. This is out of.
Speaker 2: Control, and this is gonna cost us jobs, and this is going to be more importing, and this is gonna They go on to talk about how from an environmental impact, you're gonna have all these different ships coming into the port, and the ships are not they're not great as far as the environment goes to have all these ships, and you just go, Okay, this is one of those instances where we're starting to see the Democrats that are going, whoa, maybe we got too far left on this one.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Let me throw one other thought out there, particular your brain a little bit, all right, you can just tossed this out. Is this part of the normal cycle though, Now I don't mean politically speaking. I mean that when you are pushing new tech, you've got new tech that starts to emerge, and old tech becomes more expensive, which causes more people to start using the new tech.
Speaker 1: So if you have more evs.
Speaker 2: On the road, in California, of course, was incentivizing EV's, pushing for evs, all these different regulations on the on the on the gasoline and oil and refineries in and YadA, YadA, YadA, And so of course it becomes more expensive, and it's been more expensive in California for a long long time, more expensive here than any where else in the in the country. And of course we also have more evs on the road than anywhere else in the country, and so it's sort of a snowball effect.
Speaker 1: But wasn't that the point?
Speaker 2: So it feels disingenuous to me to hear the Democrats coming out and saying, I can't believe that this is happening right now? Uh we this is terrible for our economy, right But wasn't this the goal? It wasn't the goal to get more people away from internal combustion engines and toward EV's. And if all of a sudden you've got refineries closing and gas prices jump up even higher, doesn't that mean more people are likely to go to EV's. I know I would if all of us. I mean, I'm at that tipping point already where I go. Man, I think my next car is gonna be an EV. I just I don't want to keep paying for the for the gas prices and uh, and I'm gonna take a look at the continuing cost of EV's coming down.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll import one from China. I don't know, they're a lot cheaper, and then uh, and then that would mean.
Speaker 2: Less demand, right, and you go, oh, les demand means that the price is gonna come down.
Speaker 1: Well, not if you have to keep importing it.
Speaker 2: So if you've got nine dollars a gallon gasoline, isn't that going to push more people toward EV's. And if more people go toward evs and fewer people are going toward gasoline, then the profit isn't there for the gas companies. And if the profit isn't there, either they go away, which we're seeing part of that's because of the the regulation as well, or they have to lower the prices, right, it's one or the other. And there's a certain point where they can't lower the prices anymore because then they're operating at a loss. They're already saying that they're operating at a loss. So if the gas prices go up, that means you go, you move, you migrate, toward new tech.
Speaker 1: And this happens all over the place. This is not new.
Speaker 2: I mean, anytime we see a technological advance, the old way becomes more expensive, then new way becomes more efficient. So if this was the point all along, then you got to own it. But politicians don't do that because they know it's incredibly unpopular. In the early stages, during the growing pains, so the Democrats starting to sound like Republicans. All right, Well, you wanted to ban gasoline, landscaping tools, you wanted to incentivize evs, you wanted to add more gas taxes onto everything. You wanted to drive the price up at the pump. And then all of a sudden, businesses go all right, we can't and you go, I can't believe. Who could have you ever seen this coming?
Speaker 1: Well you did? That was your point all along. All right, end of tyrad. All right, we'll continue.
Speaker 5: There's no business like show business.
Speaker 1: Chris merriland I.
Speaker 2: Am six forty more stimulating talk. Uh caylo, can I play these?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: One's not nice? Well for you, thanks for me?
Speaker 1: All right? Oh you sent me one from last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not nice.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to play that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: See so Caylea sends me these things so that I can play them off my computer because I don't trust anybody else. All right, here we go, all right, roll, we'll get ready with the dump button because I don'trust Kyla either.
Speaker 8: All right, super producer, Kayla, great job. Oh love your voice than in your program, But you really are jeopardizing your career as a potential host, which I wish you would become. Keeping Chris Merrow on the air. Please remove Chris Merrow.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I gotta. I'm gonna send some emails and make that happen for ourselves.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I got it. I think that's fair. Let me see I got I got this one too.
Speaker 1: What is this? All? This is about you too, isn't it?
Speaker 9: Kayla needs to chill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, Chris? Without you, there is no me. So I don't know what that listener's talking about.
Speaker 3: I love you for it, Chris.
Speaker 2: Uh is the other one about our talkback question?
Speaker 1: What is someplace you never go back?
Speaker 3: It's about drilling more for in California?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, right or right? Talkback? I'll play that here in a second. Our talkback question.
Speaker 2: I got a story coming up here in about half an hour about former inmates of San Quentin going back to play a baseball game against current inmates, and so talkback. Questions today is what is someplace that you would never go back to visit, someplace you would never go back to visit.
Speaker 1: Curious about what that is. I've got a few places in mind.
Speaker 10: We need to start drilling more for oil in California. Only twenty five percent of the crude oil that goes to the refineries comes from California. The rest is imported, with the fifty percent of it coming from foreign countries, small amount coming from Alaska. That drives the price of gas line up even higher because we're importing crude oil. We need to become oil independent.
Speaker 1: No, no, I mean, I get you. California actually has a lot of oil. We do have.
Speaker 2: A lot a lot of fossil fuels under our dirt, but it's not the money is not there.
Speaker 1: If it were, we'd figure out.
Speaker 2: And I know you're gonna say, well, we've got regulations and you can't afford to do it because you got to jump through all these hoops, and yeah, that is a problem, but we got far fewer hoops in other states, and they're not drilling new wells either because it's not profitable right now. And Opek just said for the third time, they're gonna drop prices. They're gonna, yeah, they're gonna they're gonna increase output, which will lower prices. So I mean, you can keep making that argument, but they're still that drilling. This is not gonna happen. If they were, they'd be drilling in other places where you don't have the regulatory hoops to jump through. And the number of new wells has dropped way off for that reason. So it's just you know, if prices come, if prices go back up again and it becomes lucrative, then then we can have that conversation. But right now there is no drill, baby, drill. I know that's a common refrain. We just need to drill more wells. Okay, Well, if if you would have to have oil at ninety dollars a barrel in order to balance your sheet and make drilling a new well profitable, you're.
Speaker 1: Not gonna do it. If oil is at sixty five dollars a barrel, he's not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: And in California, of course, and again to your point about regulations, or at least I'm assuming that's your point, it would have to be even higher than that in order to want to drill more in California.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on.
Speaker 2: I told you that the Democrats are starting to sound like Republicans, especially when it comes to the oil refinery shutting down. And you may have heard about Governor Batman saying that we need to stop we need to stop trans women from.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm distracted here.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to come up with my Batman and I'm not getting it.
Speaker 1: It's not there, Kayla, it's not there.
Speaker 3: Well, what are we going to stop trans women from doing.
Speaker 1: Well playing in women's sports? Yeah? Yeah, that's big thing.
Speaker 3: Sounds No.
Speaker 1: I was trying to find my Batman drop.
Speaker 3: And I just didn't come up the next time.
Speaker 2: So anyway, there's this transgender athlete, and of course this is the kind of thing that Fox News takes off and they're like, can you believe this person that's different from you is doing something that you you don't like? And I will say, when it comes to trans writes, this is the place where I have the biggest hang up, because if there is a if there is an unfair advantage.
Speaker 1: It's all about the unfair advantage.
Speaker 2: These other arguments about my kids aren't safe from the bathrooms and all that other stuff, I don't believe it because it's just that it just doesn't make any sense to me when you say, oh, do you want boys going into the girl's bathroom? And I just go, what's stopping them from doing it?
Speaker 1: Now? Like there's going to be sexual results in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Like the only thing that's stopping a boy from going into the girl's bathroom right now is the sign outside the door that says women.
Speaker 1: That's it. So I'm just not not buying a lot of those arguments.
Speaker 2: But I do think that if you have an unfair advantage on the field, that that is not that is not a fair competition, right. I mean, we're not talking about somebody who was simply born genetically the superior. Like you know, you have runners who I'll never be as fast as as some of these runners. They have a genetic superiority to meet. But all other things are equal, and so if you've got somebody that is leveraging a difference, that is that is an unfair competitive advantage. So this trans athlete did end up winning some medals. In the girls High School Track and Field Championship.
Speaker 11: A transgender athlete from Euroupa Valley took home her first gold in the girls high jump at the California High School Track and Field Championship today. Aby Hernandez shares her first place win with two other athletes who also cleared a height of five feet seven inches.
Speaker 2: Okay, so to be clear, two other girls born female also did the same okay.
Speaker 11: Hernandez also placed second in the.
Speaker 1: Long jump, so that means somebody else beat her.
Speaker 11: Her participation has drawn national attention, sparking controversy. President Trumpy and threatened to pull federal funding from the state. Earlier this week, the California Interscholastic Federation changed its policy. It allowed an additional student to compete and even metal in events where Hernandez qualified. We heard from Hernandez's mother after the competition today, all.
Speaker 1: Right to tell you get her mother's is upset about it.
Speaker 2: The law makers, the law breakers, and the times that there ought to be a law.
Speaker 1: It's la law. Next.
Speaker 2: Chris Merril CAF I AM six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand. Always an honor spending time with you, Chris Merrill KFI AM six forty on demand anytime in the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: Let me see.
Speaker 2: Oh, we just talked about the transgender athlete. Look, I don't even care where you fall in the transgender athlete debate. I tend to feel like CIF has added another place. If you have a transgender athlete competing in your particular event, then they've added another place so that you know no girls are being denied. You can't say, oh, they stole my spot at on the metal stand whatever. Right, So there's transgender athletes. So CIF is trying to find some sort of a healthy compromise. I don't know if that's going to stand, but whatever, that's what they're doing right now. What frustrates me is a bunch of people at the state track and meet track and field meat that are screaming at a sixteen year old kid.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That bothers me more than the kid being out there. And imagine if you are the parent of a girl who has busted her tail her entire life, and she's a junior or a senior, and she's at this event, and she's doing the high jump against a trans athlete, and people aren't cheering on your kid.
Speaker 1: They're not hollering screaming, come on, one more you can jump one more inch. You got this new record. I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 2: Instead, they're screaming at the person that you're competing against and trying to tear her down Like that really bothers me for everybody involved. That you got a bunch of sixteen year olds dealing with adults that are just bullying one of the athletes. Whether you agree or disagree that the athletes should or shouldn't be there, it's a sixteen year old kid, all right. Talkback as always, we love that. If you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, just click on that talkback button.
Speaker 1: Let us know what you think.
Speaker 2: And I've got a question from the talkback as well, and it'll relate to our Eli Law segment here in a moment.
Speaker 1: Hey, Chris, I don't always agree with your politics, but you are spot on. That's right. In the last segment, spot on, Thank you? Yes, right, you hear that, Kayla? Right?
Speaker 3: I think he was one of our high listeners.
Speaker 1: No, he was totally sober. Oh, okay, yeah, all right, totally sober.
Speaker 4: You know, you didn't make sense in the last segment to say I disagree with be a lie, So yeah, coming from.
Speaker 2: You're sweet, Thank you so much. All right, So all right, we're gonna we're gonna let you hang on for another show.
Speaker 5: Thank god.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: The lawmakers, the lawbreakers, and the times that there ought to be a law talk about question that I throughout today, where's someplace that you would never go back to visit? And I asked that because there was a big baseball alumni game.
Speaker 1: It's Sam Quentin.
Speaker 12: It's America's oldest pastime being played in one of its oldest prisons. But something new is brewing at San Quentin.
Speaker 3: The first thing I went through my mind was is never going to happen?
Speaker 7: So then when they said it was on the schedule to play, I was very excited.
Speaker 12: In the one hundred and twenty three year history of the San Quentin field of dreams of first an alumni game pitting current inmates against former inmates.
Speaker 13: One.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm all for the activities give inmates. Uh, you know, purpose drives something to do. I think sports is incredibly helpful. I do I think the spirit of competition. I think the sports allows us to get some of our aggression out. I think that sports gives us a focus. There are multitude of studies to talk about the benefits of sports, and I'm on board with all of those. I love sports. That said, I don't think I would want to go back inside those walls ever. If I got if I got sent to San Quentin and i got out and now I'm out on the street and I'm doing I'm keeping my nose clean. Because remember, these are these are these are former inmates. These are not people who are lifelong criminals who have who are a recidivism stat These are people who have gotten out and now they're trying to They're trying to make their way, and then they go, hey, do you want to come back and play an alumni baseball game back inside the walls. No, no, I do not, noop uh full disclosure. Gotten a little trouble when I was a young man, and as a result, I found myself on the wrong side of those bars for a short period of time, very short period of time. Don't recommend it. Anybody that's ever had a little brush with the law. I think most of us can agree, it's no fun.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So I had a little brush with the law when I was nineteen years old, and I gotta tell you, I'm not going back. I'm not going back in any sort of a celebratory manner. I'm not going back at all to say, Wow, these are the good old days.
Speaker 1: Never. Never.
Speaker 2: So our talk back question, what is someplace that you would never go back to visit? Now, I was never in I was never in prison, by the way, I just Little County lock up for a couple of weeks. It's all all right. But here's what I would I would say, let's uh, let's just stay away from there altogether. I've had never had any desire to go back and see anybody that's that's there.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 2: I would not do it ever. So our talk about question, what is someplace you would never go back to visit? If you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, just click that talk back What is someplace that you would never go back to visit? Al Right? My daughter is Actually it's funny. My daughter is super liberal, super liberal, and I've got a son who's kind of a what what is the new roul? You help me out here? And I'm asking you because you're a you're a young man. Sure you haven't been called that in thirty years.
Speaker 1: Have you? What do we call the new crop of the bro Conservatives? Is there? Do we have a name for that?
Speaker 5: I don't think there's a name yet, but it does need a name, because it does.
Speaker 2: It's like the Manisphere, but it's like the the the young Trump supporting, high testosterone driven conservatives.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I've got I got one son that's kind of leaning in that direction. And it's funny because he's like, he says, man, I'm moving to Texas when I get a chance, I'm moving to Texas.
Speaker 1: He just can't wait to go to Texas.
Speaker 5: Joe Rogan's baby Rogan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kinda yes, the the yeah, I guess so does Rogan. People who follow Rogan have a name, the Rogans, you know, are they early balding? Okay, So my daughter is like, if you move to Texas, have fun. I'm never coming to see you, right, And then my son, you know, she's like, well, I'm not going to California to see you.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna go to California.
Speaker 2: I hate California because California's a bunch of liberals so it's funny.
Speaker 1: To listen to them.
Speaker 2: I mean, Texas is a fine place, California is a great place, and it just it's funny here people be like, I would never visit there.
Speaker 9: Okay, that's funny because your question, talk about question, I would have said Texas, but I love Deep Elm. It's so cool there, so I can't say I don't like Texas.
Speaker 2: For those unfamiliar, that's kind of the that was sort of the old black area of Dallas, right, correct, That's that's kind of the other side of the tracks when they when they did the redlining through Texas and Deep Elam has an incredible amount of history.
Speaker 1: It's it's cool area. It's cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, great bars, great food, the.
Speaker 2: Supervised it's cool, yeah, supervibe. What is someplace you would never go back to visit? I'd love to hear your quite your answer on the talkback?
Speaker 1: Uh? And is it possible we've got a killer about it to be on the loose? That is next.
Speaker 2: Chris Merril CAFI AM six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeart Radio app tay it afternoon, Chris Merril can'f I AM six forty more stimulating talk, non demand anytime and the iHeart radio app.
Speaker 1: Boy, we've got a lot.
Speaker 2: Of really intelligent people leaving us some talkbacks today.
Speaker 1: So excited about that. Uh you want to hear some of these? Callia, man, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let me see. Oh, hang on here, because I think I got this. Oh maybe I did not? Oh yesda oh yeah, here we go yourself. Yeah, there we go, there's the guy. Okay, here we go. So we were talking about the transathlete, and then I was telling a story about my kids, and in fact, didn't I say something about the transathlete. Imagine if you've got a little girl and she's fought her whole life, and then she's at the state finals, but she's running against a transathlete, and everybody's screaming at the transathlete instead of cheering your kid on.
Speaker 1: And how horrible that must be for the sixteen year old.
Speaker 3: You said that ever beat him?
Speaker 1: I say, Okay, they're just making sure I said that. Okay, Yeah, Chris, you're a bum. I don't think you have kids.
Speaker 14: I don't think you understand what it takes for our daughters to be out there and put the self forward and then to be shut down by a boy playing in their game yourself?
Speaker 1: All right? Good?
Speaker 2: Whoa glad he was paying close attention to everything I said.
Speaker 3: Fun guy, fun guy, fun guy.
Speaker 15: I never thought I was see this day coming way. I grew with you on one thing. I think you right on, you spot on about this trans athlete. You'll take on it and everything. I think you said. Need to figure it out that way, sixteen year olds don't have to be screamed at by some crazy parents.
Speaker 1: That's it, all right, thank you very much. Seem so I have to get all the swear words out though, waste a lot of my time. Grace.
Speaker 15: I am never going in bed to Flint, Michigan. Oh I drunk that Tracey content.
Speaker 2: Oh this was a This was a response to our question. We actually did ask a questions and they have to do with trans athletes. Where are you never going back to visit?
Speaker 1: Grace?
Speaker 15: I am never going in bed to Flint, Michigan. Oh yeah, I drunk that trace you contaminated?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 15: And I'm still alive. I'm still alive, So why the hell will I go back over there?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I hear you, man, I'm not okay. Good plan now?
Speaker 2: Never never, you know, the closest I've been to foot is driving through it couldn't get out faster.
Speaker 1: It's a dump. Flint is a dump. Let's see what else do we have here? One more?
Speaker 16: Maybe there were a lot of adults yelling at it. Sixteen year old kid who made an adult decision. Yeah, to have a lot at off of me. Uh huh, So what's the problem?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, I got you.
Speaker 2: So we can scream at the kid because the kid did it, made a life changing decision. Okay, that makes perfect sense. Any other kids that we want to scream at that to do things that they Okay, all right, great, I don't want to do anymore. Right now, let's save Kill has got more for me. Let's just save these for the next segment. Killer, I gotta talk about I gotta talk about this, this Manson follower who gets paroled again, parole recommendation again.
Speaker 13: It's impossible for me to be done with these because public safety is at risk.
Speaker 17: Debra Tait is the sister of Sharon Tate, who was eight and a half months pregnant when she was murdered in nineteen sixty nine inside her home in Los Angeles by members of the Manson family.
Speaker 13: I should have a nephew that I never got to experience.
Speaker 17: Deborah has attended all fifteen parole hearings for Patricia Krenwinkle, who was a main actor in the murders of Tate and four other people that night in the same home. She spoke at the hearing today strongly opposing parole. This interview is from twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: All right, this skip ahead. I don't care. I want to know what she thinks today.
Speaker 17: Enwinkle also participated in another Manson family killing rampage the very next night, stabbing Leno and Rosemary LaBianca to death inside their Los Angeles home. On Fredwinkle used a fork to carve the word war in the husband's stomach, and then used the victim's blood to write he Helter skelter on a refrigerator door. The couple's nephew spoke today saying the murder weapon was the carving fork for our Christmas turkey.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 17: She is a serial murderer. She should have had the death penalty. All of the Manson murderers were in fact given the death penalty, but in nineteen seventy two, the California Supreme Court converted their sentences to life in prison. Charles Manson.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Wait a minute.
Speaker 2: He makes him sound like the California Supreme Court was like, nah, they don't deserve it.
Speaker 1: No, hang on.
Speaker 2: A little context is that we nationally said no death penalty, and then it came back and so everybody that was on death row had their sentences converted. This is not like the California Supreme Court's like, you know, we don't think this is so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hang on here.
Speaker 17: Charles Manson died behind bars in twenty seventeen. One of the killers, Leslie Van Howden, is now out on parole. Cranwinkle declined to testify at today's hearing. You believe, but she spoke to the La Times in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 12: I guess when I started thinking with myself, mostly the word I don't care.
Speaker 1: I don't care, what she said. Ten years ago.
Speaker 17: This afternoon, parole commissioners granted crean Winkle's parole, saying, at age seventy seven, she no longer poses a risk to society. Her release still has to be approved by the full Parole Board, and then the final decision will go to the Governor's office, which could take several months. David Godferdson, CBS eight.
Speaker 1: Thank you, David. I appreciate it, CBS eight in San Diego. Here's here's the thing.
Speaker 2: The governor in the past has actually said no, you're not getting parole. He would be an absolute moron. And I mean that in the in the most literal sense, because it would be wildly foolish for a guy with political ambition to do something so incredibly unpopular. He already went out on a limb on the whole Menendez thing, and he doesn't even go out and know him on that. He just hasn't come back and said, well, Menanda's brothers need to stay in prison.
Speaker 1: He hasn't done that.
Speaker 2: He has done that with some of the Manson family, and he needs to continue to say she's not getting out. And the deal is this in our justice system in the United States. Other countries are different. Other countries you have maximum sentences of twenty or twenty five years or whatever. Right not here. We have a very punitive justice system. If you take a life and you're sentenced to life, you do life. I don't like what bothers me about the current status is that they had the death penalty and then the death penalty was turned into life in prison. That's not life in prison with a chance of parole in my mind. No, these crimes were so egregious and so heinous that it's not about whether you're rehabilitated. It's about the punishment. And when it comes to crime and punishment, you got to stay behind bars. You forfeited your right to ever see freedom again when you when you carved somebody up and.
Speaker 1: Then did it again the next night.
Speaker 2: That's that wasn't a mistake in time, It's just something you're gonna pay for.
Speaker 1: That's it. You're done. There is no coming back from that. So, uh, there's no way in the world.
Speaker 2: I would be shocked if Governor Batman says, oh, yeah, that's fine. I mean, he would never be able to show his Bruce Wayne looking face around the state again if he said, yeah, you can come out. Nope, Nope, not while he's got the political ambitions that he has right now.
Speaker 1: This is just too risky a thing for him. He's not doing it all right.
Speaker 2: The question is what is someplace you would never go back to visit. I had a story in our Crime of Punishment segment segment there about the former inmates of San Quentin going back to play an alumni baseball game against current inmates. You would not catch me going back, No way. I would not want to go back behind those bars.
Speaker 1: Ever.
Speaker 2: I want to put that chapter behind me. What is someplace you would never go back to visit? One gentleman said Flint, Michigan, and don't blame him said don't.
Speaker 1: Where's it?
Speaker 2: You would never go back to visit that? And drugs on the campaign trail. I mean, I get it.
Speaker 1: That's next. Chris Merril KFI AM six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand