Speaker 1: Violence has a spectrum from emotional to psychological to physical, and even then on that spectrum, it has a spectrum of severity. Occasionally we find a case so horrific it's violence spreads across all spectrums, and in today's case, we definitely find that not only did a gruesome murder take place, but the violence was spread to family, friends, and online. This is the case a boss seed, McLean. My name's Ben and.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true grime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following past and material in a mat Your audience listener discretion is advised. I have been eyeing this up all fucking day, the entire day. This has been sitting in the fridge calling my name, and.
Speaker 2: Now you've been whining about it.
Speaker 1: I have been, but now it's mine.
Speaker 2: It is ah my gosh. Nicole just stared at me while Yeah, I mean, what else was I supposed to watch?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Maybe you can watch our logo screen over here.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that make it better? Though? Like that you had to kind of like wait and earn it in a way.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, of course it always does. Yeah, that's why, Like when you have a cold beer, after doing some yard work in a hot summer date. Like, why it hits so good? It's because you earned it.
Speaker 2: I'm drinking something I'm not supposed to be drinking right now, but that's fair.
Speaker 1: You got some hot chocolate in the goo.
Speaker 2: I do smells good, but technically I am in like some sort of transformation challenge and I probably am not allowed hot chocolate.
Speaker 3: But hey, you do you you got to live your life?
Speaker 1: You do? They call it self care, don't they having extra calories? Self care?
Speaker 2: Self care?
Speaker 3: I know, treat yourself, treat yourself. Yeah, it's self care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of self care, all our patrons get a little bit of self care when they sign up because they get the behind the scenes content, the exclusive content which happens at the end of every month. And we have a lot of people to thank this week. Why are you smirking at me?
Speaker 2: Because that was quite a transition. I'm not certain if it worked or not.
Speaker 1: But I think it works okay. Anyways, so we have a lot of people to thank this week for signing up for our Patreon. We have Candice Anderson, Tory, Rebecca carav Harrison Biern's desiree Arlano. I think I might have missed that in a name desiree Arlano, that is what I'm going to get Arlano. Yeah, Andrea will Williams, Andrea Williams, sorry I messed that one up to and Christine Bucy, thank you so much for sending it for Patreon. You guys right now, they're in the midst of voting for what episode they want, what case.
Speaker 2: For their their freebie, right, they're free, but.
Speaker 1: They're they're they're exclusive.
Speaker 2: Exclusive. That's the word I was trying to get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they're in the midst of doing that voting and they're they're going to get a cool episode.
Speaker 2: That was the list of people it was.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your support. It means a lot. We also had a lot of support recently at our trivia night over at dead Fall Brewing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a week ago.
Speaker 1: It was we had a blast putting it on. Thank you to everyone who showed up. I think we're going to be doing some trivia stuff on our social media because we've got a lot of trivia questions.
Speaker 2: Now we do now, Yeah, we have two sets.
Speaker 1: So which I think it's about sixty trivia questions that we've come up with, and I think we're going to do some reels or something like that on Instagram and Facebook, so you guys, if you want to check out some trivia stuff. We're not saying it's coming out like tomorrow or today, but in the coming week or so, it'll be we'll start putting a few trivia questions out there for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be cool. I mean, some of those questions are pretty dang tough. You could ask me them now and you've already asked me them like ten times that I still wouldn't remember the answer fair enough.
Speaker 1: Well, the first time we did it, a lot of people got almost all the questions right. There was very few questions that they did not get. So this time around, we made the trivia questions a bit harder, and I think we hit it on the head with the difficulty level.
Speaker 2: So because it was still it wasn't too difficult that it wasn't fun, like, you know, because you're there were some questions oh yeah, like I know that, I know that, but then there was some that you're like, your gears are really turning.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And we made sure it was a diverse group of questions too. So listen to the podcast. Listen to our other podcasts, if you listen to Patreon Netflix documentaries like Across the Board. You need a diverse group of people to really answer all these questions. So we did a good job, and so did everyone over on trivia.
Speaker 2: But the team that did win only at two people that which is true, which is amazing.
Speaker 1: Incredible, and I'm not gonna lie. That team was basically consistent of one person, even though it was it was two people. I don't naming names, but but but they know, they know. I think they both know. Anyways, you ready for today's case?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: You're sure you are?
Speaker 2: I am, but I literally actually have no idea what the fuck it is. Okay, be honest, I know you've told me, and well.
Speaker 1: I didn't really tell you. I told you the hook that kind of captured my attention when I found it online and I was like, oh, that sounds wild. I'm going to research it. That's all I told you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I've forgotten that, and we're I'll.
Speaker 1: In the middle of this, we'll touch on that that hook if you will. Okay. So this episode is the episode of Beside McClain, and it takes place in the heart of New York City, and within New York City lies a district of the Bronx. Now, the Bronx is home to the iconic landmarks such as like Yankee Stadium, where the New York Yankees proudly play their games. Right. However, beyond this famed sports arena, the Bronx carries a weighty reputation in terms of safety. As per recent statistics from Neighborhood Scout, the Bronx falls within the fourteenth percentile for safety nationwide as of twenty twenty three, marking as one of the more dangerous regions across the United States. Ok So it's got a reputations. It's tough to be in the Bronx, Okay. Now, many people who do call it home, though, are passionate about their city and they have very strong love for it. Which love. Now within the Bronx is where our story today does take place. And we go back to February of twenty thirteen, so we are going back just over ten years ago, which I think, yeah, it's February now, so that it'd be eleven years ago. Sorry, my math there was off a little bit, and then I was like, wait, I was calling myself on it. Oh Man, So the people of New York began their day just like any other you know, buses, cars and subway routes where we're all filling up with passengers making their way about the city and heading to work. Many people were walking the streets and in true New York fashion, they were minding themselves head down, doing their own thing in their own world.
Speaker 2: Big city fashion.
Speaker 1: Ain't and New York is one of the biggest cities there is, especially with that big city attitude, right yeah, I mean, I'm sure there's like you can go like Tokyo and stuff like, if you really compete with cities around the world, I'm sure there's bigger, But as far as the United States go, New York is it's called a big apple for a reason, right, really yep. So, however, it was hard to turn a blind eye, even if you are just minding your own business to the horrifying discovery that came to light on this morning. Someone was walking their dog during their morning routine at about four point thirty, and it was then not the dog began sniffing insssedly some garbage bags in the sidewalk, some garbage bags that were sitting there waiting for collection. Now, in itself, this isn't exactly anything extraordinary. Garbage often contained scraps of food, for example, which could capture a dog's attention pretty easily, right, But something about this was different. The dog wasn't letting up. Now upon closer look, the person who was walking their dogs saw a gruesome sight. Their dog was sniffing at a dismembered human limb underneath some piled garbage.
Speaker 2: Oh shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, so authorities were of course called immediately and the block was surrounded.
Speaker 2: What kind of limb exactly? Gosh?
Speaker 1: I saw a couple different reports, and most of them just said limb. One of them said an arm, but I couldn't clarify. So all I know is a human limb.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you remember me because I've been to New York once coming back and telling you about like the garbage.
Speaker 1: I think so, because I can actually.
Speaker 2: Vividly remember, like it was like night, I'm walking down the street and and the restaurants and just I don't know if it's still like that, but they just had like their bags just kind of on the side of the sidewalk, like so much garbage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then collection comes around grabs a bags on the truck.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I was just like, oh, because our city isn't really like that at all. Like our garbage, I guess, is a bit more contained.
Speaker 1: I guess you could say, well, in a big city like that, it's really hard to just have city garbage cans.
Speaker 2: Well totally, yeah, so I get it. But I just I'm like walking down the street now and I can picture this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, I say, can you picture an arm thrown in that pile? Too?
Speaker 2: No? Thank goodness, that's a good thing. Now.
Speaker 1: The authorities, of course, searched the trash pile, and they began searching other trash piles up and down the street, because that's exactly what it was. Just like you're talking about on the side walk, piles of trash bags just waiting for collection that morning. It's not like it's just like garbage just strewn about it. It's a pile. They're gonna be collected in a few hours sort of thing. Yeah. Absolutely, Now, what they found were the remains of a woman. Piece by piece. They found her hacked and cut pieces scattered in get garbage bags across multiple piles. They found her decapitated head, her right leg, torso and hands and arms.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: All of her remains were found within the same area around Eagle Avenue, one fifty eighth Street, one fifty sixth Street, and Caldwell Avenue. The dismembered body and remains, some of which were still wearing the clothing articles that the individual was slain in, would soon be identified as a forty five year old woman by the name of Tanya Bird.
Speaker 2: That's brutal. So they kind of seemed like they went about trying to hide this, but they did arable job.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They were hoping that the body would just get thrown out with the garbage, and I mean it clearly didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, they went to the length of at least I guess, going around putting it in different piles.
Speaker 1: They did, but still all within about one block.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So it doesn't really it didn't go very far.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But also that is so sad too that you're like take someone's life and then you're.
Speaker 1: Just out with the trash, like with the garbage. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Now I do want to say, like, can you literally imagine just walking your dog one morning and just oh, human arm.
Speaker 2: That's honestly a worst night mare of mine.
Speaker 1: Is it really?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I freak.
Speaker 2: I think about sometimes or dogs finding something that I would not want them to find.
Speaker 1: I mean, they've come back with like bones and stuff before, but it's usually like because.
Speaker 2: We're in like a moost or deep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're out in the country and it's like there's hunters around that, like they throw discard from up a game kill, you know, when the bush once in a while, and they come back with like a bone that's been there for a year or two and keep it.
Speaker 2: Question, do you ever examine what they find and would you know if it was something other than a wild animal?
Speaker 1: Usually yeah, because it's generally very obvious that it's like, oh, that's a big ass bone that's from a moose or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, No, you're right, because thinking about it, I'm like, shit, I don't really examine the bones, but yeah, they're usually generally quite a bit bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, this woman, Tanya Bird, who is found she had been dismembered and stuffed inside several separate heavy duty garbage bags and added to the piles. But even within those garbage bags, she was then stuffed inside multiple Duffel bags as well, and of course dispersed for disposabal on the disposal on the piles, so police soon contacted Tanya's family. They also found that her son, Beside McLean, had reported her missing at the precinct in the Bronx just the day prior. He told police about how he hadn't been able to contact his mother for at least the day, which was very unusual for her. See, Tanya had another son who was six years old and had down syndrome. She was always making sure that she provided the care that she needed for him, and that's what she lived for, That's what she did. She was to be there for her son and taking care of him. Now, the son the authorities were talking with besied continue to tell them everything he knew, including how a former boyfriend of his mother's dropped by on Monday and that this was the last time that he saw her to quote him quote he came over yesterday and walked out with her in the morning yesterday morning. Tanya's sister, Cassandra believed that her sister's allegedly abusive ex boyfriend was responsible for the horrific murder and dismemberment of Tanya.
Speaker 2: Okay, can I ask a question quickly. Is that the same boyfriend that the sun?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, yeah, And to quote Cassandra, Tanya's sister quote, I told my sister to stay away from him, but she said he's harmless and not to worry.
Speaker 2: Oh, he sounds like bad news.
Speaker 1: Cassandra also described her sister as a loving mother and being very devoted to her son and his needs. He was the joy in her life.
Speaker 2: Oh man child.
Speaker 1: Basid also provided photographs of his mother from his phone to police. This helped them able to confirm that Tanya was in fact the victim they found because they were looking at missing reports along with the decapitated head they found and now linking it with the photo he provided. And at first of what seems that the family was willing to help and find Tanya in any way that they could. I mean, he's showing photos. There was a missing report, right, they did, They did all they could. They're talking with officers in regards to whatever questions they ask and everything. But something was standing out for the officers from the moment that they actually stepped in to their home and began talking to him. You see the home reeked of bleach.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yeah, okay, oh right, away, you would just be like the fuck.
Speaker 1: Yep, Oh no, So you have someone who's dismembered.
Speaker 2: Which would be a brutal mess.
Speaker 1: And what do you use to clean up blood?
Speaker 2: Bleach?
Speaker 1: Bleach. So they walk into the home where she lived and they're saying, oh, yeah, she went missing yesterday. We don't know what happened to her. Maybe this guy we're going to offer you a person to look into. While you're standing here being like, uh huh, why the fuck does smell like bleach.
Speaker 2: In your gosh? Because like sometimes, i mean, some people still use bleach for like their laundry and oh and everything, but it's it's not a super common smell that you're that you would just notice going into someone's house, or it would be like pretty faint or whatever, like you know, they're just using a bit of bleach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you use a little bit of bleach in your laundry or if you're cleaning up your counter or something like that, you're not using like a gallon of fucking bleach to make your whole house smell like it unless you used it like five minutes earlier. But usually it's like a little spray bottle or something like that. You're just cleaning up a little bit or like you say, a little bit in your laundry, things like that.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: But even still many people, and I believe this was an apartment complex, they wouldn't have laundry in their.
Speaker 2: Unit, right, brutal.
Speaker 1: Now the investigation into the home, of course, quickly began. They now had warrants because I mean, this is where she lived. She's dead, so it's like we need to search her fucking home, right, So as they were looking for evidence and the whole home, they they certainly found evidence, They found the equipment that was used to carve up Tanya's body, and eventually they even found some extremely gruesome photos on Besieed's phone.
Speaker 2: What the shit the sun is? That the sun?
Speaker 1: That's the sun? So while executing a search warrant and searching his phone, they found images where Basid had posed and taken selfies with his own mother's lifeless and dismembered body. One in particular, he was posing in front of a bathroom mirror. You know how you like take a selfie in a bathroom mirror, right, He was doing that while holding up the bloody head of his mother like a trophy. His decapitated mother's head. He's holding it up and using his phone to snap a photo as a keepsake.
Speaker 2: What the actual fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is he okay?
Speaker 2: Like, uh uh, I don't think I can ever take a selfie again.
Speaker 1: Well, the worst part here in the photo you can see he's got a smirk on his face while.
Speaker 2: Posing and he killed his mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the holy shit. The smirk though, is the most disturbing factor to me particular. I mean, of course, don't get me wrong, he's holding up a decapitated head of his mother, but he's fucking smirking at the same time.
Speaker 2: Oh man, yeah, that ik. There has to be something like I'm wondering wrong with him well, or like he has something.
Speaker 1: We'll we'll get into some of this stuff, don't worry. But now this is where some rumors have floated around online regarding this case, and this is where that hook lured me in. Okay, So, allegedly Beside had taken this selfie and posted it online to one of his social media platforms even before police were ever involved. So typically people say that the platform he posted it was on Facebook or something because only friends and family saw it. So there someone immediately saw the photo and reported it, and Facebook took the photo down for violence, and that is how he got caught. Some version of the story state that the authorities never actually saw the unblurred version of the photo, because the blurred version is readily available online, Like right now, you can go look it up and it's blurred. You cannot see ahead whatsoever, but you can clearly see him, see him, he's holding something up and you can see thet.
Speaker 2: It's actually his mom's.
Speaker 1: Head, it is. But some say that police were never able to see the unblurred version because Facebook deleted it so fast. Regardless of this version, I'm pretty sure that those claims are false. I could not find any article or evidence that alleged the photo had been posted online. The only reports that I have found are where the authorities find the images on his phone. So this is where I was lured in because I was like, holy shit, someone like decapitate their mother and posted photos to Facebook sort of thing. That's false. He did those things. He did take the photo, but posting it online, as far as I can tell, never happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean it's still like next level what he did.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, don't get me wrong. It's fucked.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine that's the way that you would find out that like a loved one or friend had died. Oh, man, I don't know if your life would ever be the same after if that had been the truth.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. You just see a photo of your loved one's head being held, Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh by their son. I'm like, this case is like mortifying.
Speaker 1: Oh it is. Now you understand why I captured my attention so fast on them? Yeah, so besied though moving on, he was let out of the house in handcuffs. Of course. Now in the apartment, it was found that Beside's little brother was also present during the attack and the dismemberment.
Speaker 3: What but he was six, He was six.
Speaker 1: Years old, and he has down Fortunately he did not see any of it directly, so he did not witness it, though he was there when it occurred.
Speaker 2: That is so disgusting, so disgusting. But also in my mind, I cannot turn off being in that home and like doing the whole black light situation because I imagine that there would.
Speaker 1: Be a lot, a lot. Now why Beseied did what he did is heavily speculated, but the most accepted motive that he had was that he or sorry that we have is that he allegedly held a massive amount of resentment against his mother because Basied was raised in foster care as a child while his mother, Tanya, battled with drug addiction. Oh okay, so he eventually came back to live with her and his younger brother when he was eighteen years old, once she had cleaned up and become more of a present mother. But once Beside was living with them, he was later suspected of abusing his younger brother, whose body began displaying bruises and other signs of abuse.
Speaker 2: Gosh, this guy's just yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's abusing. And I mean at the time, his younger brother six Yeah, I'm presuming this has been going on for quite some while. So his six years and younger brother with Down syndrome, he is abusing. I'm sorry you. I don't know if there's anything you can do to get any lower than this.
Speaker 2: Dude, Like this is like fucked the kid having Down syndrome or not. It's terrible.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, like I feel like people who have Down syndrome are just like just the joy, They just have so much joy. Oh yeah, and like, I just can't imagine.
Speaker 1: There's that one one comedian, fuck, I can't remember his name.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: I was just watching a clip of him like an hour before this podcast, because he was a SNL just the other night, Shane Gillis. I think. Anyways, he has family with Down syndrome, and he's got these these bits and everything, and he compares like his uncle Danny I think his name was. He's like, they're like dogs, they're just having like a great fucking time, like consistently, they're just always fucking happy. Yeah, And like he's right, they're just consistently happy. They're a fucking light in the world. Literally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's yeah. They they do bring a lot of joy, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Now Besied, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure he didn't bring very much joy in this world. He brought a lot of fucked up shit.
Speaker 2: Instead of kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Basid was apparently extremely jealous for the attention that his mother was giving his younger brother, uh, and it is believed that he took out much of his aggression on him whenever he had the opportunity. Now, Besie's grandfather, James McLean, said that his grandson Besied often did destructive things and had trouble. He was They always had trouble kind of controlling him as a kid. As he grew into adulthood, his actions only became worse, and he was now a grown man with grown man strength to carry out the destructiveness. Okay, because of who Baside had become, Tanya herself was terrified of her own son. Recently, he was put on probation actually after attacking two police officers with a knife in twenty ten. He was a dangerous man and it was only a matter of time until he took violence out in their home. It was reported that the snapping point that caused the attack was when Tanya asked her son, who was at the time twenty three years old, to grow up and move out of the apartment and become a man. Frustrations had been growing in the home since the three of them Tanya and her two sons all shared a bedroom in the small apartment. Basied had gotten out of control. By this point. It was no good for them to be around him.
Speaker 2: Well, especially if she's in her home and she's like afraid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I can totally understand she's afraid, not only for her safety. The younger one is clearly being abused. Yep, so I can understan stands wanting him to move out clearly well.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like she had him there for about five years or so, which.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moved in her eighteen. He's twenty three now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is plenty of time for him to hopefully try to you.
Speaker 1: Know, get shipped together no one. Yeah, Now, I do want to say this, I understand, like, you don't have to just be like, hey, get the fuck out of my house because you're old enough now, like people can live with whoever for however long age isn't a factor totally, yeah, or it shouldn't be a factor anyways. But the fact remains is he's dangerous as fuck. He needs to get out, and like you said, five years is a long time to put up with a dangerous individual and give.
Speaker 2: Them a chance, well, especially if they are affecting your other like your well being and your other kids well being.
Speaker 1: Yeah, couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, However, instead of respecting what she was asking to move out instead, he decided to you you know, just I don't know, murder her in cold lie.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So after stabbing her to death. He then dismembered her body with the assistance of another man.
Speaker 2: Another man.
Speaker 1: The second man would soon be identified as one of Beside's friends, twenty six year old William Harris.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, what kind of friend just helps you do that kind of shit?
Speaker 1: No kidding. So together the two of them went to the hardware store in the Bronx and purchased an electric black and decker powersaw.
Speaker 3: Oh my gloves wow. Okay.
Speaker 1: From there, they returned home and began the bloody process of cutting up Tanya's body into smaller pieces.
Speaker 2: Why the fuck are they cutting the body up? I guess it's just to make it more manageable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, easier to dispose of. I guess.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just think that's so disturbing.
Speaker 1: But I also have a quote directly from besieed that'll address.
Speaker 2: That later, Okay, So I want to know.
Speaker 1: Probably not. Surveillance video outside the apartment building shows both Beside and William carrying numerous bags out of the building's elevator before wheeling them away in a shop cart down the street, and then of course not returning with them later afterwards, when they were done cutting her up and disposing of her remains, they returned and began cleaning the murder scene with Bleach. They however, didn't do the best job, as there were still blood evidence and stains to be found. Twenty three year old Beside McLain was of course arrested and charged with the murder of his mother. William Harris was also arrested on charges of unlawful dissection of a human body and hindering prosecution during the interrogation. Now, I'm not too sure what he did to pertain that hindering prosecution during the interrogation part, but it was a charge that he was being charged with.
Speaker 2: It is no.
Speaker 1: Surprise to me. I mean, while being questioned by the authorities, what do you think they did? Pointed the finger at each other.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I I was gonna say lied, but I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, no beseeds, like William did it and William's like beceied did it? Well?
Speaker 2: But see, it's a freaking idiot, because I'm sorry, who the hell would think William did it right? The whole Okay, I can't stop shaking my head to this case. I don't know if you've noticed, but I've noticed. It's just, yeah, my head is on a swivel right now, because this is so so messed up.
Speaker 1: Well, I do want to clarify at this point, I'm not sure if they had the photos off his phone just yet, so in a in a linear fashion of the story, I don't know if they quite have the warrant for his phone right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still, but still, I don't think anyone think it's the friend over the kid, probably right, especially this kid's history. And I just have to mention too, so the whole time that they are dismembering and then packing up her body and like going and spreading it to other garbage piles, the little six year old brothers just like.
Speaker 1: At home, correct, So I'm sure.
Speaker 2: And having no idea what's going on.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he would have had some idea because they dissected her body and then left and came back to clean, so I'm sure he would have seen the apartment bloody as fuck.
Speaker 3: Oh no, just say, for.
Speaker 1: The sake of the argument, they put him in the bedroom while they're cutting.
Speaker 2: Her up, okay, because you can't even be sleeping through this.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but there's the points when they leave the apartment that he probably would have had free rein and would have been able to see the murder scene. So as far as I'm pointing fingers at each other, let's get back on track. Basid claimed that he left the apartment at around three am on Monday morning to withdraw some cash. However, when he returned, he found his friend, who I presume he was stating, was left at the apartment, William Harris, had stabbed his mother to death in his absence. William was known to the police. He had a history with arrests, holding a criminal record of twelve prior arrests. Now from here, William had that and threatened to kill both him and his younger six year old brother if he didn't help dispose of the body. So Baside helped. Huh, that's his story.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I didn't realize. I guess well, I didn't think William was a real winner, but I didn't realize how much of a shit show he was too.
Speaker 1: So well. William, however, painted a different picture. He claimed that Paside had already killed his mother by the time that he had found out about it. Baside had shown him pictures of her body on his phone, which, yeah, we know, actually he had yep, Selfie's yeah, and he showed them to him while he was on the subway with them, and there he had begged his friends, his friend to help get rid of her remains. So at this point she's not dismembered. They're on the subway together. So she's dead in the apartment alone with her sticker.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, I I yeah, this is just get getting worse. I need another hot chocolate. This is unreal.
Speaker 1: It's fucked. Now. We already know that Pasid had these photos on his phone, so I mean, it's pretty easy to discern which story is more believable. And I'm sure right around this point is probably when they got the search warrant for his phone, or they may have already had his phone but searching it. I'm not sure, but by now they definitely have the photos. Eventually, though the story didn't didn't matter that the Seed was trying to paint. The Seed would ultimately confess to the crimes after police found a shower curtain missing at his apartment. The shower curtain was later found wrapped around his mother's body parts in one of the bags that was dumped in the curb for collection.
Speaker 2: I have to say to Kate, two really quick things here. I'm shocked that they were even able to find this bought like in the garbage so quickly and stuff before any of it was collected, you know, like that almost seems like a small miracle.
Speaker 1: Well it was four thirty, am. Well, I mean, yeah, you're right, that person wasn't walking their dog. Yeah, mabe, they wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I feel like it could very easily have just been taken away. Yeah, my gosh, I can't even Oh, okay, this is the other thought. The other thought is I'm actually shocked that he didn't kill his brother too thinking about this and how much of a terrible person he is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, he could have very well, and if he did, harbor resentment towards.
Speaker 2: Him, Yeah, he already was abusing him, right, So I'm actually a little bit shocked.
Speaker 1: No, you have a good point there. Actually I never even thought of that now in court though, but Seed would later, you know, make his appearance there, and apparently as he showed up in court, he was wearing a garbage bag, and according to his defense attorney, he had began begun urinating on himself and had no other clothing. So he showed up wearing a garbage bag?
Speaker 2: What the actual fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So the defense attorney continued and stated that Beside was off his medication and that his client was going to be under psychiatric evaluation. You don't say, however, he never did elaborate on what that medication was exactly. To me, this seems like a ploy to paint insanity in the courtroom. We'll have you walk in garbage bed.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, So would a lawyer actually do that?
Speaker 1: I mean a desperate attempt for the for him to get his client to basically, you know, get away with murder because hey, insanity, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this person really needs to be kind of behind bars for quite a while. Yeah, to put it quite.
Speaker 1: Nicely, actually, And I do want to say that the whole like ploy to paint insanity thing, that that's my speculation. That's not anything I read. This is me saying that seems suspicious to me. It's one thing to say he's off medication. It's another to say psychiatric care. But it's a whole other thing to say walk in the courtroom wearing a garbage bag. Will say you are pissing yourself and we have no other clothes. What kind of fucking respectable, fucking lawyer would allow their client to walk into the courtroom in a fucking garbage bag.
Speaker 2: Because I think there would be another way to deal with that, Like you're exactly something else you would think if.
Speaker 1: I were that lawyer, I'd be talking to the judge. Judge, this is a situation. Give me ten minutes so I can run down the fucking street and buy this dude some fucking pants. Yeah, because no way am I going to let my client walk in here in a garbage bag.
Speaker 2: That's very true. Yeah, And I mean if you explain that I feel like to the judge, they would grant you those ten fifteen minutes or what.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: But I also do very much think that there's something going on here. You know that he like that being off his meds thing makes some sense.
Speaker 1: Well, anything I could find regarding those medications that that's all I know. There was no other mention of medications whatsoever.
Speaker 2: But I see, my thought process is, you can't do shit like that if you're just like totally sane. I can't fathom that some one would just be able to kill their parents.
Speaker 1: Do you have a point? Now? Initially, though Basied, continued to press his innocence in the courtroom, shouting I didn't do anything wrong. I don't need anything at all. And I'm assuming in response to needing anything at all, he's referring to psychiatric evaluation, Well he.
Speaker 2: Does need some clothes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. His legal team continued and argued that he was mentally ill and did not know what he had done wrong. They went as far as holding up a photo of Tanya and her severed head build up by her son in the courtroom for jurors to see. Besieed's legal representative Lynn Klvaka asked, quote, does this look like someone who knows what he is doing is wrong? Which is a fair point, and I'm playing devil's advocate here, totally makes sense someone holding up a decapitated head smirking like that when it's the mother, that doesn't seem like someone who knows what they're doing.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: However, in the same argument, I think that smirk on his face in the photo says he knew exactly what he did and he was fucking proud of it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay, you know how lots of terms I've said I've wanted to be on a jury. Yeah that not now, I don't know, because that I don't think is an image that anyone should really have to see. No, like that's brutal. I agree, huh, but I guess they had to kind of show that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Gosh, h well.
Speaker 1: The defense continued and argued that the client is a mentally ill man suffering from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. They stated that he had been hearing voices since he was a child and that incarceration would do nothing to help him. A tape would later be played in the courtroom as well, one where Besied admitted to butchering his mother. He said, quote, and this is where I said that we would touch on the butchering thing. So quote, if you don't have the stomach to cut them up after killing them, then you're a coward.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh man, they.
Speaker 1: Have that on recording.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is just.
Speaker 1: Why did he cut her up? Is it just for you know, easier discardment or is there a little more at play? Is it more of a flex is it more of a in fact infatuation with I'm fucking manly and I can do this and it doesn't bother me, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll continue. See you can just kind of put your head down first set. But sid was later found guilty of second green murder, and before he was sentenced, Beseied said this quote, whatever sentence you'll give me doesn't matter. It was something that happened. I did it. I apologize.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds like a very sincere apology.
Speaker 1: Right. So, since he was found guilty of second degree murder and his following sentence that he received of twenty five years to life in prison, I am assuming, though I did not find any documentation of it, I am assuming that he went through psychiatric evaluation and was found fit to stand trial.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, he's young. He's probably gonna get out. And I am a little bit surprised by the second degree in a sense. I mean I sort of feel like it should been first.
Speaker 1: I can't even remember which ones which anymore.
Speaker 2: Again, I thought, first is like first, as you planned it. Maybe they're saying you didn't necessarily plan it, And he was like, yeah, fit of rage, Yeah, I think I think you're.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I don't think there was any premeditation within this, because I mean, she said something and he.
Speaker 2: Was like, okay, I guess he wasn't like the previous night planning out it. No, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So on the day of the sentencing, though, some of the family members spoke publicly about what had happened. Besied seventy five year old grandfather James said he would forgive him for killing his mother, but would never forget it.
Speaker 2: Well, geez, I'm surprised he even said he'd forgive him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, besieged sister Porsche Up, sorry, Porsche said. She said that he destroyed her faith in humanity by taking away the one person in her life who believed in her. Cassandra McLean, Tanya's sister, said that her nephew was a danger to society and she'd be jailed for life. If he could do this to his own mother, imagine what he could do to a stranger. And she followed up by saying, quote, today my sibling and I say goodbye, knowing this will be the last time we will ever see you, and the last time you will see the family who loved you unconditionally. And she also said this quote, I don't hate him, I pity him.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, she did some good statements.
Speaker 1: There she did, and Cassandra is actually now the one who is caring for Besid's younger brother.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: Now. That is the end of the story of Beside McLain. However, while in most cases this is the end of an episode and we kind of banter for a few minutes talk about her thoughts and everything.
Speaker 2: Got me worried. Here, what's going on today?
Speaker 1: It's different today. The episode doesn't just end. It leads into another It leads into another case, which is not going into another episode. It's just the case here that we're going to talk about and continue.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: You see, before Besied savagely attacked his mother and chopped her up to be thrown in the garbage, I missed out a portion of his life. Basid was married to a woman called Vera McLean who later changed her name to Zara Coombs after her husband had committed some some certain crimes and she wanted to disconnect from from that name. Can't blame her, oh okay, yeah, So after Basid had killed his mother, she's like, yeah, I'm not married to anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah, disconnecting from that ship very fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, can't blame her for that. So she was raising their son, who had just turned three months old. Basied was a father, so the aunt Cassandra said that her nephew and her had met in a group home and that their family was against marrying her from the very beginning. It wasn't her they were protesting though. It was Besied and him not being fit as a father or a husband. Quote. He was no good, He was a bully, he didn't work, He lived off his mother. He couldn't understand what she saw on him. So Besid's son, because he was a father, who is now four years old, was targeted by his mother when he accidentally dropped an egg on the floor in the kitchen. As a result, she took a broom handle and began to beat her son to death with it. Afterwards, she put him in a plastic storage bin filled with water. Cassandra McLean said, quote, a child kills his mother, and then mother kills her child. Ridiculous what they are coming to? Ain't this crazy?
Speaker 2: Okay? What the shit happened? His wife killed?
Speaker 1: Yes, Zara beat their son to death with a broom handle, and.
Speaker 2: She felt like she needed to change her fucking last name. Yes, she also is a complete piece of shit.
Speaker 3: Yes, what the heck? Yeah, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: He already thought that we were done with this.
Speaker 1: No, I told you this. This is a little difference today it leads into something different.
Speaker 3: Whoa okay?
Speaker 1: So during an interview, Zara cried while discussing her son's death, quote He's gone. It's all my fault. My life is over. Nothing will ever be this. My baby is gone. So she blames her snapping and rage on postpartum depression and claims that she can't remember hitting her son with a broomstick at all. As she says, her memory is blacked out and all she recalls is a mix of noises, including TV blaring and cries from one of her other kids, her one year old and one month old. At the time, her son was trying to help her make lunch. He loved food and wanted to be a chef when he grew up. Zara said that she remembers her son being alive after she blacked out. She said quote, he looked at me, but he didn't say anything. I said, okay, baby, let's get you a warm bath. From there, she said that she apologized and told the toddler that she loves him, before putting him in a storage bind for a bath, and then shortly after that, fell asleep while trying to breastfeed her one month old baby. Later, she was woken up by her boyfriend, who came home from work to find their son unconscious in the bin under the water. He immediately called nine one one, but the little boy didn't make.
Speaker 2: It, okay. Did the little boy die from the broom thing or from being in the water, I wonder.
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure which one it was. I don't know what the cause of death was in his situation, but if he was from under the water, he would have passed out and then gone under the water and then drowned. So the result was still the beating, one way or another.
Speaker 2: Holy heck. It's hard to almost comment on this though, because of like you saying the postpartum right.
Speaker 1: Like, definitely, definitely, I agree, one hundred percent. However, Zara's story about what happened changed several times. At first, she said that her son slipped on a wet towel and hit his head on the toilet when she wasn't looking, but during an interrogation, she admitted to beating the boy with a broomstick after her patients wore thin and he just dropped an egg on the floor, so the whole blacked out. She doesn't remember postpartum thing, bullshit. There are people who really suffer from postpartum. Maybe she is too. Regardless, she knowingly still beat her son to death with a fucking broom because she remembers it and she knows she did it. Even in the story I read her version. Her later version, she apologized before drawing him a bath, which is also key there to show she remembers doing something she fucking knew and he was sorry.
Speaker 2: Three years old four four years old? Yeh man, So.
Speaker 1: After he dropped an egg. After her four year old son dropped an egg on the floor, she grabbed a broomstick beat him till he was relatively silent before she went back to caring for her other kids. Now, the night before this, police had just been at her residence for a domestic dispute between her and her boyfriend. Now they're three children, one nine, one one year old, and one one month old at the time were taken out and put in the care of child Protective Services. Okay, so that is the story about Pasid McLean and his son.
Speaker 2: Huh so the boyfriend. Okay, I'm just this she had the other two kids with someone else or something, right, I gues o, yay, huh gosh, I don't even know how.
Speaker 1: How to process any of this. Yeah, welcome to my world. Now, you know why at the very beginning, I'm like, I've been eyeing up this beer all fucking day.
Speaker 2: No shit, how did you not open that earlier? I would have?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, thank you, But doesn't it make it taste so much better now that you've earned it?
Speaker 2: You earned it earlier. I would have totally been drinking that earlier. The reason you saved it those two because that's your last one. I know, let's be honest here, it's.
Speaker 1: My last one and I needed to open it for the show.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh so what I thought this story was going to be it wasn't and it turned into so much more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, what was this saying that you said, son kills his mother, A mother kills her son or something.
Speaker 1: I'll look it up directly. So this is a quote from Cassandra besides aunt. Yes, yeah, so she says, quote a child kills his mother and then the mother kills her child. Ridiculous what we were coming to? Ain't this crazy?
Speaker 2: Huh? Brutal? Yeah hmm and sorry, okay, I'm still like processing.
Speaker 1: You tell fair enough, fair enough?
Speaker 2: Okay the kid?
Speaker 3: Who did the kid.
Speaker 2: Die first then? Or the mom die first?
Speaker 1: The whole besied thing, Yeah happened first. Okay, but Seed killed his mother first, and then I think it was about three years later when Besieed's kid killed.
Speaker 2: You almost have to just wonder if.
Speaker 1: You know, you know she I know what you're to say, if she did it out of spite because of who his father was.
Speaker 2: Yah, which is so disturbing. It's so disturbing.
Speaker 1: It is, and it's absolutely fun because that crossed my mind too.
Speaker 2: This little boy wanted to be a chef.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I just well to make it even worse, No, you can't have I have to now. I took this out putting it in so the little boy because he wanted to be a chef, and he loved food so much. He would call people he loved things food he loved. Like if he called you a chicken nugget, it's because he loves you. You were his chicken nugget. Thanks, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: That is one of the saddest things I think I've ever heard in my whole entire life.
Speaker 1: I know I took that out to maybe, like, you know, lessen the blow of that one a little bit. But we got onto the top and then you just decided we got onto it and I had to say it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Okay, I am. I could just solve right now.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you guys are able to process this one. I know we can't. I'm having trouble processing this one, and I fucking researched it. It's hard to digest, hard to process, and it makes it all the worse when you attach that second story onto the end of it.
Speaker 2: It does actually, because now it's like it seems like two beautiful people died, yeah for you know, for no reason. Yeah, like you can minus and is process one, but two is just like you fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you fucked.
Speaker 2: That's our next merch.
Speaker 1: Ya fucked. I'm still waiting for another another Carl case to come up. We're we're not cool, Carl.
Speaker 2: I know there has to be another one.
Speaker 1: Hey, we should specifically dive in and.
Speaker 3: Find everyone knows the one let us know definitely.
Speaker 1: Anyways, thank you for being here. Thank you for listening. We appreciate you as always. Our links are down below. We got YouTube, but we're super active now you can watch. You can watch the video version of this podcast on one of our YouTube channels. Both links are in the description Instagram, Facebook, Like I said, we're gonna be posting some some trivia stuff here coming up on social media patreons down below you can go sign up for exclusive stuff there. Yeah, I think that's about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a doozy.
Speaker 1: Sorry to uh to hit you with that one today, Yeah, but I felt it was it was one that should be covered.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean the stories need to be.
Speaker 1: Told, definitely. And it's also it's dismantling myth that is being perpetuated online because I saw it like this is starting to gain some traction, this story on places like TikTok and Instagram. I ran into it a couple of times where and every one of them are saying that he posts those photos online. No he didn't. Facts are important in cases like this. Not true just simply not true, at least as far as I could tell. If you could provide evidence, please do. But I have not seen the single shred of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that seems it does seem a little bit far fetched. I mean, the whole thing does, really though, he does. But anyway, now you got to finish that beer.
Speaker 1: Yep. I'm going to go finish this beer and maybe cry myself to sleep, and until next time, stay wicked.